Total votes: 7

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Supertech (literally Super)

Post by Venatus Vinco »

New Edge:
Super Scientist [Professional Edge]
Prerequisite: Veteran, the Gadgeteer or Tinkerer Edge, Knowledge (Engineering) or Knowledge (Science) d10+, Repair d10+
These inventors can go well beyond the normal bounds of the technology of the day and create truly amazing, if somewhat quirky, devices. Your character may utilize the SuperTech rules to create permanent technological items that break the rules of normal technology.

New Creation Rules:
Item Creation: Experimental Super Technology Items
Rifts, by Sean Patrick Fannon’s definition, is an over the top kitchen sink setting. As a result we have multiple worlds and genres mashed together to create a setting where anything is possible. In addition to elements of magic and fantasy we also have science fiction - robots, power armor, laser weapons and more. Thus, occasionally, advanced alien races, Coalition Researchers, Triax facilities, or just a genius kid in her parents basement uncover the ability to create technological items that go well beyond the limit of current standards.

These rules provide a process for creating super advanced technology items. They are completely based in science and stand apart from Techno-Wizardry or Enchanted item construction rules. Most notably, these items do not make use of I.S.P. or P.P.E. and are not considered in anyway “arcane”. They also stand apart from the Tinkerer modification rules because all items modified by this must be scratch built expressly for this purpose - even if they are based on existing technology. Super Scientists can build these amazing items.
  • Build Roll: The Super-Scientist makes a roll using the lower of Knowledge (Science), Knowledge (Engineering), or the Repair skill; this is the standard roll for Super-tech Item design and is called a Build roll. A Weird Scientist or Psionic Operator may substitute their Arcane skill for either of the two Knowledge skills. On a failure, the time and parts are wasted, but on a success the Super-tech item is complete. If the Scientist gets a raise, he may add one Minor Upgrade (see below).
All items made with Super-Tech are subject to Technical Difficulties, have their weight reduced by 25% and are -2 to be repaired

Creation Process
Choose a base item to upgrade using Super Science. Extra parts and cost are required to make it function at a higher level.
  • Preparation: The Super-Scientist needs parts costing 150% of the item’s initial (list) price. The procedure takes 3d12 hours for personal weapons or gear, or 1d6 weeks for larger installations, such as furniture, vehicles, siege gear, or building parts (such as SuperTech doors for the base armory).
Literally Super Tech
Since they are not “magical” super-tech weapons are not powered by PPE or ISP. Instead they are considered device built using abilities found in the Super Powers Companion. These points can be used to purchase powers, edges, and skill increases as if the item granted super powers with the “device” limitation. Maximum amount that can purchased is two levels in any single super power. Points cannot be used to increase damage dice for ranged or melee weapons.

Upgrades
  • Novice: 2 points
    Seasoned: 4 points
    Veteran: 6 points
    Heroic: 8 points
    Legendary: 10 points
Installing Upgrade
Every 2 points added to a super-tech item costs 10,000 credits in parts and requires 3d12 hours (cumulative). Super-tech items are limited to a number of points based on the super-scientist's rank, shown in the chart above. As above, a failure wastes the time and materials, a success installs the upgrade, and a raise grants an additional point (provided the device can take another point). The Super-Scientists makes a Build roll (lowest of Knowledge (Electronics), Knowledge (Engineering), or Repair skill) but at −1 for each rank of the device. Generic (SPC, page 18) and Unique Modifiers (below) can be used to reduce/increase point costs.

Activation
Devices linked to a skill (like Fighting or Shooting) activate with that skill. Those that normally activate with Smarts or Spirit will use Knowledge (Electronics) instead. Passive powers, like edges or armor will function as long as a device is powered up.

Banned SPC Powers and Modifications List
  • Invent
    Undead
    Stackable (Option for Attack, Melee)
    Super Sorcery
Cautionary SPC Powers
  • Armor Piercing
    Extra Actions
    Extra Limbs
Given the nature of the Savage Rifts setting an increase in AP is effectively an increase in damage. While it may make sense in some circumstances it should be closely reviewed.
Extra Action and Extra Limbs can create some truly broken builds. GMs are encouraged to limit the impact of such items to no more than 2 total extra actions from any of a variety of sources. Further any hero with an Arcane Background getting Extra Actions via SuperTech should be scrutinized closely. Game breaking consequences are plausible.

Allowed Modifiers
Contingent (-1/-2)
Device (-1/-2)
Integrated Weapon (+2*)
Limitation (-1/-2)
Power Source (-1/-2)
Projectile (+1)
Ranged Touch Attack (+2)
Requires Activation (-1)
Slow to Activate (-1)
Switchable (+2)
Weapon Trapping (+1)
  • Exclusive Modifier - Implanted Weapons.
    For personal weapons, PP Cost is 2 +1 for every 100 pounds after the first 100 (round up) but no weapon with a Mod greater than the character’s Size can be implanted. Multiply cost by 1.5 to get the implanted version cost.
    Exclusive Modifier - Power Sources.
    Super science items do not use power points. Nor are they required to use external power sources. In general, they are considered to have some regenerative energy source that is more or less unlimited. It can be used as trappings for a Technical Difficulty result.. Alternately, the Scientist making the item can use an external power source to give them just a bit more juice - at the expense of needing to be recharged or replaced.

Power Source modifiers can apply to a specific ability (a suit of armor with a gun in the wrist that works on a separate E-Clip) or the whole device. In the latter case, this allows more points in the device to give additional abilities.
    • E-Clips. Generally use e-clips with 20 shots. Each shot works for 1 use of an offensive power or 10 minutes for the use of a non-offensive ability. As long as the clip is not empty any associated super-tech functions will continue to work. When the device is unpowered the item will not work and its abilities are unavailable. This is a 2 point Limitation.

E-Canisters/Batteries. Some items (especially armor) have a battery of some sort with a listed duration (e.g. armored exoskeleton like the NG Gladius). The battery is restricted to 96 hours of continuous use before needing to be recharged (taking 2 hours at any power source). When the battery is drained any associated super-tech will not work either. This is a 1 point Limitation.
    Exclusive Modifier - Weapon Trappings
    A Scientist may add one of the following weapon trappings. Note, all Trappings are exclusive, but multiple modes may be assigned different trappings.
    • 1 PP: Vibro-Blades - Increases the added die of the base melee weapon by one step and adds AP 4 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Vibro-Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping. This cannot be applied to the Attack, Melee power. Use that power's built in modifiers instead.
    • 2 PP: Chain Weapons - Doubles the added die of the base melee weapon (so Str+d8 becomes Str+2d8) and adds AP 2 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Chain Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping. This cannot be applied to the Attack, Melee power. Use that power's built in modifiers instead.
    • 1 PP: Explosive Weapons - Explosive Weapons such as Rockets and Grenades do Mega-Damage.
    • 1 or 2 PP: BigBore Munitions - The ultimate in riot control munitions, these weapons do the damage and effectslisted here. Revolver style rounds are 1 PP, Shotgun rounds are 2 PP. This can be combined with other effects, except damage.
    • 1 PP: Ion Weapons - Personal ion guns follow the same rules as shotguns in Savage Worlds. They grant +2 Shooting due to the spread effect of the ion stream, but they lose one die of damage at Medium Range, and two dice at Long. They must do 3 dice of damage at short range.
    • 0 PP: Laser Weapons - In the futuristic setting of Rifts, lasers are the standard by which all other weapons are measured. This modifies the weapon by 0 points as it is the assumed damage type for ranged weapons.
    • 1 PP: Particle beam - Particle beam weapons are based on a variant form of lasers. They have considerably shorter ranges, but pack a heavier punch. Reduce range by a least a third, but increase damage by one die type.
    • 1 or 2 PP: Plasma Weapons - Firing what amounts to a tiny comet of superheated gas, plasma weapons are heavy, bulky affairs, causing them all to have a minimum strength rating (d8 to d12, depending on the item). Some also have the Snapfire quality (−2 if the firer moves on the same round), though not all (the second PP rating applies to those plasma weapons without Snapfire penalties). They have some distinct advantages, though.
      First, plasma hits a target all-at-once, engulfing the target and affecting the least-armored area on the body. This means anyone not in fully sealed armor is in serious trouble. Second, plasma tends to ignite targets (usually 1 in 6 chance), doing 1d10 continuous damage until it’s doused. Finally, plasma weapons all do Mega Damage.
    Exclusive Modifier - Weight Reduction.
    Reduce the base item's weight by 50% for 1 PP, 75% for 2 PP. 1 PP reduces Minimum Strength by one die step, and 2 PP reduces them by two die steps. If the Minimum Strength is reduced to d4, it is eliminated.
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Re: Supertech (literally Super)

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Adding to ranged weapons seems to cheap...not sure how to negate that.

Overall it works okay...maybe the points per Rank need to scale a little (i.e. only increase by 1 after Seasoned). I basically valued it at Minor = 1 point, Major = 2 points and used our old super tech scale.

I would generally be against super sorcery.

VV
Signature
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Venatus Vinco wrote:Adding to ranged weapons seems to cheap...not sure how to negate that.

Overall it works okay...maybe the points per Rank need to scale a little (i.e. only increase by 1 after Seasoned). I basically valued it at Minor = 1 point, Major = 2 points and used our old super tech scale.

I would generally be against super sorcery.

VV
I’m sure more thoughts will come, but maybe halve the shot capacity of ranged weapons to reflect that the device is drawing more power from the e-clip.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

I don't hate this. I don't love it. I could be convinced, but I am not currently.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Corrigon
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Corrigon »

Worth noting with gadgeteer requirement, that limits it to TW's and Psi Operators
GM bennies 6/8
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Corrigon wrote:Worth noting with gadgeteer requirement, that limits it to TW's and Psi Operators
Or Weird Scientists. The AB does exist, if not really utilized. I could drop the gadgeteer requirement, but would somehow like to keep this out of the purview of techno-wizards. Thier concept is not to build superadvanced technology but to infuse technology with magic.

To bring forward some questions from hangouts.
Power Tricks and Power Stunts
No. Those are setting rules that wouldn't apply to these devices.

Trying to break things
Novice Flight belts
Are these really any different than jet packs in terms of stats/abilities? Jet packs provide better pace, but are expensive.
Heroic Deflection device is -8 to hit, always on
TW caps number of times certain improvements can be taken at 2. Maybe supertech can cap point spends in some way: max 2 levels or something like that.

Fiat and appropriateness to the device will have to be important to GMs.

VV
Signature
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Venatus Vinco wrote:
Corrigon wrote:Worth noting with gadgeteer requirement, that limits it to TW's and Psi Operators
Or Weird Scientists. The AB does exist, if not really utilized. I could drop the gadgeteer requirement, but would somehow like to keep this out of the purview of techno-wizards. Thier concept is not to build superadvanced technology but to infuse technology with magic.

To bring forward some questions from hangouts.
Power Tricks and Power Stunts
No. Those are setting rules that wouldn't apply to these devices.

Trying to break things
Novice Flight belts
Are these really any different than jet packs in terms of stats/abilities? Jet packs provide better pace, but are expensive.
Heroic Deflection device is -8 to hit, always on
TW caps number of times certain improvements can be taken at 2. Maybe supertech can cap point spends in some way: max 2 levels or something like that.

Fiat and appropriateness to the device will have to be important to GMs.

VV
Loving this! 1st, gageteer can be grabbed by any character through a HJ roll or the 2 for 1 option. 2nd, yeah nothing about it precludes TW from using it. 3rd, capping it at 2 levels sounds interesting and certInly following the flavor from minor options.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I think you should remove the reference to Weird Science and replace it with repair. Then add a caveat that as always the GM has final say on what is appropriate (for example in the 99 I will not allow a player to build a device that turns people into undead).

Otherwise I like this much simpler approach.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Why do TWs have to hone in on ALL the awesome. They have TW. Stay in your lane! :P
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

High Command wrote:Why do TWs have to hone in on ALL the awesome. They have TW. Stay in your lane! :P
This was my point as well.

VV
Signature
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

So,
  • Repair instead of Weird Science for build rolls.
  • Maximum 2 levels in a power.
  • Super Edge remains unchanged (combat edges only)
  • I would still prefer to exclude TWs.
  • Probably need an exclusion list: Super Sorcery, Invent, Undead, Sidekick, others?
  • Need a more drastic usage limitation: ammo works for weapons but some way to make abilities only last for rounds/hours like TW devices.
VV
Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I hate the idea of excluding TW's.

While I do not have skin in the game as a player without a TW, they are literally the lords of technology, both super and mundane in this world. They will be inclined not to as they already can do virtually all of it, but they should not be blocked it willing to waste edges. They may or may not take whatever edge or train of edges needed for this.

Perhaps make it an edge path...
novice edge lets you go to 2 SPC points
seasoned edge lets you go to 4 SPC points
veteran edge lets you go to 6 SPC points
heroic edge lets you go to 8 SPC points
legendary edge lets you go to 10 SPC points

Then again that is a lot of edges and more than 3 feels like too many.
So...
novice edge lets you go to 2 SPC points
veteran edge lets you go to 6 SPC points
legendary edge lets you go to 10 SPC points
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

VV, I need to build a gravatronic exoskeleton. Did this ever get approved, or at least to the point I can ask my GM to seriously consider play testing a sig item with it??
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:VV, I need to build a gravatronic exoskeleton. Did this ever get approved, or at least to the point I can ask my GM to seriously consider play testing a sig item with it??
No.
Signature
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Revised OP based on feedback.

VV
Signature
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

As we're bringing this up again, I'll restate my own vision for SuperTech and why I like this and hate parts of it.

1. First on TW Access. TWs literally have the best item creation rules in existence - more slots, more options, can include powers from core and TLPG, can use Core Trappings. They don't have a need for this, nor should they waste their time with it. Can they repair Tech? Absolutely! Could they create mundane tech? All day long. But the idea of pushing tech to the next level without magic literally should not occur. If it does, they need to play another IF because that is antithetical to BEING a TW. Play an Operator or a Psi-Tech or Weird Scientist or whatever. TWs have a very well defined lane that is literally better than everything else. It makes no sense for them to waste time and edges on SuperTech. I will vote no on any proposal that gives them access. This is for the non-magic using folks.

2. Second, I'd love a decent sized menu of complications that fit the trapping of technology as a means of modifying powers, and I'd love for the options to be limited to those or anything the GM specifically allows. That way folks who want to build something have lines they can color inside, but a GM can push that boundary in his own game. No I don't have specific suggestions or I'd include it. To be honest, SPC is about my least understood version of SW.

3. E-Clips for ranged weapons either needs to explained as per cinematic ammunition from SFC or it needs to be defined with a number of shots/uses.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Could we make this part of the Tinkerer edge tree? Make Tinkerer a prerequisite for Supertech, keep the same build rules, and just open things up to allow more than what can be done with the base Tinkerer edge. We could avoid re-inventing anything that we've done before and maybe build on the compromises already made for Tinkerer. This would basically be the equivalent of an "Improved Tinkerer" Edge.

Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

If you want to bar TWs, the way you do that is go back to the requirement for the Gadgeteer Edge.

Why? Because TWs don't HAVE Gadgeteer, they have Arcane Machinist, and they cannot get the actual Gadgeteer Edge. The only folks who have Gadgeteer access are Core Weird Science AB characters, and Psi-Operators.

While these devices are obviously meant for non-magic types, I don't think it's hideous to say they require an AB-based character to build them in the first place.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Just as a note, TWs were banned from taking Tinkerer, so an "Improved Tinkerer" version of this edge could avoid that fight. Food for thought. :D

Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Can you link the Tinkerer Edge, so we have it available for the discussion?
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Freemage wrote:Can you link the Tinkerer Edge, so we have it available for the discussion?
Sure thing! Here's Tinkerer.

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Banned SPC Powers List
Undead
Stackable (Attack Melee)
Super Sorcery
Invent
Signature
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Venatus Vinco wrote:Banned SPC Powers List
Undead
Stackable (Attack Melee)
Super Sorcery
I would add "Invent" to this list.

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

New Edge:
Prerequisite: Veteran, the Gadgeteer or Tinkerer Edge, Knowledge (Engineering) or Knowledge (Science) d10+, Repair d10+
These inventors can go well beyond the normal bounds of the technology of the day and create truly amazing, if somewhat quirky, devices. Your character may utilize the SuperTech rules to create permanent technological items that break the rules of normal technology.

New Creation Rules:
Rifts, by Sean Patrick Fannon’s definition, is an over the top kitchen sink setting. As a result we have multiple worlds and genres mashed together to create a setting where anything is possible. In addition to elements of magic and fantasy we also have science fiction - robots, power armor, laser weapons and more. Thus, occasionally, advanced alien races, Coalition Researchers, Triax facilities, or just a genius kid in her parents basement uncover the ability to create technological items that go well beyond the limit of current standards.

These rules provide a process for creating super advanced technology items. They are completely based in science and stand apart from Techno-Wizardry or Enchanted item construction rules. Most notably, these items do not make use of I.S.P. or P.P.E. and are not considered in anyway “arcane”. They also stand apart from the Tinkerer modification rules because all items modified by this must be scratch built expressly for this purpose - even if they are based on existing technology. Super Scientists can build these amazing items.
  • Build Roll: The Super-Scientist makes a roll using the lower of Knowledge (Science), Knowledge (Engineering), or the Repair skill; this is the standard roll for Super-tech Item design and is called a Build roll. A Weird Scientist or Psionic Operator may substitute their Arcane skill for either of the two Knowledge skills. On a failure, the time and parts are wasted, but on a success the Super-tech item is complete. If the Scientist gets a raise, he may add one Minor Upgrade (see below).
All items made with Super-Tech are subject to Technical Difficulties, have their weight reduced by 25% and are -2 to be repaired

Creation Process
Choose a base item to upgrade using Super Science. Extra parts nd cost are required to make it function at a higher level.
  • Preparation: The Super-Scientist needs parts costing 150% of the item’s initial (list) price. The procedure takes 3d12 hours for personal weapons or gear, or 1d6 weeks for larger installations, such as furniture, vehicles, seige gear, or building parts (such as SuperTech doors for the base armory).
Literally Super Tech
Since they are not “magical” super-tech weapons are not powered by PPE or ISP. Instead they are considered device built using abilities found in the Super Powers Companion. These points can be used to purchase powers, edges, and skill increases as if the item granted super powers with the “device” trapping. Maximum spend is two levels in any single super power, after any modifications. Points cannot be used to increase damage dice for ranged or melee weapons.

Upgrades
Installing Upgrade
Every 2 points added to a super-tech item costs 10,000 credits in parts and requires 3d12 hours (cumulative). Super-tech items are limited to a number of points based on the super-scientist's rank, shown in the chart above. As above, a failure wastes the time and materials, a success installs the upgrade, and a raise grants an additional point (provided the device can take another point). The Super-Scientists makes a Build roll (lowest of Knowledge (Electronics), Knowledge (Engineering), or Repair skill) but at −1 for each rank of the device. Generic Modifiers (SPC, page 18) can be used to reduce/increase point costs.

Activation
Devices linked to a skill (like Fighting or Shooting) activate with that skill. Those that normally activate with Smarts or Spirit will use Knowledge (Electronics) instead. Passive powers, like edges or armor will function as long as a device is powered up.

• Invent
    Undead
    Stackable (Attack Melee)
    Super Sorcery
Allowed Modifiers
Contingent (-1/-2)
Device (-1/-2)
Limitation (-1/-2)
Power Source (-1/-2)
Projectile (+1)
Ranged Touch Attack (+2)
Requires Activation (-1)
Slow to Activate (-1)
Switchable (+2)
Weapon Trapping (+1)
  • Exclusive Modifier - Power Sources.
    Super science items do not use power points. Nor are they required to use external power sources. In general, they are considered to have some regenerative energy source that is more or less unlimited. It can be used as trappings for a Technical Difficulty result, but such is the purview of the GM. Alternately, the Scientist making the item can use an external power source to give them just a bit more juice - at the expense of needing to be recharged or replaced.

Note that Power Source modifiers can apply to a specific ability (a suit of armor with a gun in the wrist that works on a separate E-Clip) or the whole device. In the latter case, this allows more points in the device to give additional abilities.
    • E-Clips. Generally use e-clips with 20 shots. Each shot works for 1 use of an offensive power or 10 minutes for the use of a non-offensive ability (like an edge). As long as the clip is not empty any associated super-tech functions will continue to work. When the device is unpowered the item will not work and its abilities are unavailable. This is a 2 point Limitation.

E-Canisters/Batteries. Some items (especially armor) have a battery of some sort with a listed duration (e.g. armored exoskeleton like the NG Gladius). The battery is restricted to 96 hours of continuous use before needing to be recharged (taking 2 hours at any power source). When the battery is drained any associated super-tech will not work either. This is a 1 point Limitation.
    For one point, a Scientist may add one of the following weapon trappings. Note, all Trappings are exclusive, but multiple modes might be assigned different trappings.
    • 1 PP: Vibro-Blades - Increases the added die of the base melee weapon by one step and adds AP 4 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Vibro-Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping.
    • 2 PP: Chain Weapons - Doubles the added die of the base melee weapon (so Str+d8 becomes Str+2d8) and adds AP 2 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Chain Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping.
    • 1 PP: Explosive Weapons - Explosive Weapons such as Rockets and Grenades do Mega-Damage.
    • 1 or 2 PP: BigBore Munitions - The ultimate in riot control munitions, these weapons do the damage and effectslisted here. Revolver style rounds are 1 PP, Shotgun rounds are 2 PP. This can be combined with other effects, except damage.
    • 1 PP: Ion Weapons - Personal ion guns follow the same rules as shotguns in Savage Worlds. They grant +2 Shooting due to the spread effect of the ion stream, but they lose one die of damage at Medium Range, and two dice at Long. They must do 3 dice of damage at short range.
    • 0 PP: Laser Weapons - In the futuristic setting of Rifts, lasers are the standard by which all other weapons are measured. This modifies the weapon by 0 points as it is the assumed damage type for ranged weapons.
    • 1 PP: Particle beam - Particle beam weapons are based on a variant form of lasers. They have considerably shorter ranges, but pack a heavier punch. Reduce range by a least a third, but increase damage by one die type.
    • 1 or 2 PP: Plasma Weapons - Firing what amounts to a tiny comet of superheated gas, plasma weapons are heavy, bulky affairs, causing them all to have a minimum strength rating (d8 to d12, depending on the item). Some also have the Snapfire quality (−2 if the firer moves on the same round) (the second PP rating). They have some distinct advantages, though.
      First, plasma hits a target all-at-once, engulfing the target and affecting the least-armored area on the body. This means anyone not in fully sealed armor is in serious trouble. Second, plasma tends to ignite targets (usually 1 in 6 chance), doing 1d10 continuous damage until it’s doused. Finally, plasma weapons all do Mega Damage.
Example Items

CS Psi-Implant Device - Pyrokinetic Implant
?

Noro Psi-Amplification Helmet
?

A-1 Avenger Power Armor (based on any size 3 PA)
?
Copy this to modify the above

Code: Select all

[b][u]New Edge[/u][/b]: 
[b][size=150]Super Scientist[/size][/b] [Professional Edge]
[u]Prerequisite[/u]: Veteran, the Gadgeteer or Tinkerer Edge, Knowledge (Engineering) or Knowledge (Science) d10+, Repair d10+

[u][b]New Creation Rules[/b][/u]: 
[b][u][size=150][center]Item Creation: Experimental Super Technology Items[/center][/size][/u][/b]

[list][b]Build Roll[/b]: The Super-Scientist makes a roll using the lower of Knowledge (Science), Knowledge (Engineering), or the Repair skill; this is the standard roll for Super-tech Item design and is called a Build roll. A Weird Scientist or Psionic Operator may substitute their Arcane skill for either of the two Knowledge skills. On a failure, the time and parts are wasted, but on a success the Super-tech item is complete. If the Scientist gets a raise, he may add one Minor Upgrade (see below).[/list]
[b]All[/b] items made with Super-Tech are subject to Technical Difficulties, have their weight reduced by 25% and are -2 to be repaired

[size=150][b]Creation Process[/b][/size]
Choose a base item to upgrade using Super Science. Extra parts nd cost are required to make it function at a higher level. 

[list][b]Preparation[/b]: The Super-Scientist needs parts costing 150% of the item’s initial (list) price. The procedure takes 3d12 hours for personal weapons or gear, or 1d6 weeks for larger installations, such as furniture, vehicles, seige gear, or building parts (such as SuperTech doors for the base armory).
[/list]
[b]Literally Super Tech[/b]
Since they are not “magical” super-tech weapons are not powered by PPE or ISP. Instead they are considered device built using abilities found in the [i]Super Powers Companion[/i]. These points can be used to purchase powers, edges, and skill increases as if the item granted super powers with the “device” trapping. Maximum spend is two levels in any single super power, after any modifications. Points cannot be used to increase damage dice for ranged or melee weapons. 

[b][u]Upgrades[/b][/u]
[list][b][u]Novice[/u][/b]: 2 points
[u][b]Seasoned[/b][/u]: 4 points
[b][u]Veteran[/u][/b]: 6 points
[u][b]Heroic[/b][/u]: 8 points
[u][b]Legendary[/b][/u]: 10 points 
[/list]
[b][u][size=150]Installing Upgrade[/size][/u][/b]
Every 2 points added to a super-tech item costs 10,000 credits in parts and requires 3d12 hours (cumulative). Super-tech items are limited to a number of points based on the super-scientist's rank, shown in the chart above. As above, a failure wastes the time and materials, a success installs the upgrade, and a raise grants an additional point (provided the device can take another point). The Super-Scientists makes a Build roll (lowest of Knowledge (Electronics), Knowledge (Engineering), or Repair skill) but at −1 for each rank of the device. Generic Modifiers (SPC, page 18) can be used to reduce/increase point costs.

[b][u]Activation[/b][/u]

[b][u]Banned SPC Powers and Modifications List[/u][/b]
[list]Invent
Undead
Stackable (Attack Melee)
Super Sorcery
[/list]

[b][u]Allowed Modifiers[/u][/b]
Contingent (-1/-2)
Device (-1/-2)
Limitation (-1/-2)
Power Source (-1/-2)
Projectile (+1)
Ranged Touch Attack (+2)
Requires Activation (-1)
Slow to Activate (-1)
Switchable (+2)
Weapon Trapping (+1)
[list][b][u]Exclusive Modifier - Power Sources[/b][/u].
Super science items do not use power points. Nor are they required to use external power sources. In general, they are considered to have some regenerative energy source that is more or less unlimited. It can be used as trappings for a Technical Difficulty result, but such is the purview of the GM. Alternately, the Scientist making the item can use an external power source to give them just a bit more juice - at the expense of needing to be recharged or replaced. 

Note that Power Source modifiers can apply to a specific ability (a suit of armor with a gun in the wrist that works on a separate E-Clip) or the whole device. In the latter case, this allows more points in the device to give additional abilities. 

[list][b]E-Clips[/b]. Generally use e-clips with 20 shots. Each shot works for 1 use of an offensive power or 10 minutes for the use of a non-offensive ability (like an edge). As long as the clip is not empty any associated super-tech functions will continue to work. When the device is unpowered the item will not work and its abilities are unavailable. This is a 2 point Limitation. 

[b]E-Canisters/Batteries[/b]. Some items (especially armor) have a battery of some sort with a listed duration (e.g. armored exoskeleton like the NG Gladius). The battery is restricted to 96 hours of continuous use before needing to be recharged (taking 2 hours at any power source). When the battery is drained any associated super-tech will not work either. This is a 1 point Limitation.[/list]
[b][u]Exclusive Modifier - Weapon Trappings[/b][/u]
For one point, a Scientist may add one of the following weapon trappings. Note, all Trappings are exclusive, but multiple modes might be assigned different trappings. 
[list][*]1 PP: Vibro-Blades - Increases the added die of the base melee weapon by one step and adds AP 4 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Vibro-Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping.
[*]2 PP: Chain Weapons - Doubles the added die of the base melee weapon (so Str+d8 becomes Str+2d8) and adds AP 2 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Chain Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping.
[*]1 PP: Explosive Weapons - Explosive Weapons such as Rockets and Grenades do Mega-Damage. 
[*]1 or 2 PP: BigBore Munitions - The ultimate in riot control munitions, these weapons do the damage and effects[url=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1800]listed here.[/url] Revolver style rounds are 1 PP, Shotgun rounds are 2 PP. This can be combined with other effects, except damage.
[*]1 PP: Ion Weapons - Personal ion guns follow the same rules as shotguns in Savage Worlds. They grant +2 Shooting due to the spread effect of the ion stream, but they lose one die of damage at Medium Range, and two dice at Long. They must do 3 dice of damage at short range. 
[*]0 PP: Laser Weapons - In the futuristic setting of Rifts, lasers are the standard by which all other weapons are measured. This modifies the weapon by 0 points as it is the assumed damage type for ranged weapons. 
[*]1 PP: Particle beam - Particle beam weapons are based on a variant form of lasers. They have considerably shorter ranges, but pack a heavier punch. Reduce range by a least a third, but increase damage by one die type. 
[*]1 or 2 PP: Plasma Weapons - Firing what amounts to a tiny comet of superheated gas, plasma weapons are heavy, bulky affairs, causing them all to have a minimum strength rating (d8 to d12, depending on the item). Some also have the Snapfire quality (−2 if the firer moves on the same round) (the second PP rating). They have some distinct advantages, though.
First, plasma hits a target all-at-once, engulfing the target and affecting the least-armored area on the body. This means anyone not in fully sealed armor is in serious trouble. Second, plasma tends to ignite targets (usually 1 in 6 chance), doing 1d10 continuous damage until it’s doused. Finally, plasma weapons all do Mega Damage.[/list][/list]
[b][size=150]Example Items[/size][/b]

[b]CS Psi-Implant Device - Pyrokinetic Implant[/b]
?

[b]Noro Psi-Amplification Helmet[/b]
?

[b]A-1 Avenger Power Armor[/b] (based on any size 3 PA)
?
Tales of the 17th SOG
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

(Moved for clarity)

Proof-of-concept Signature Item:

Heroic Tier = 8 SPC2 points

Bleeding Edge Cyber-Controlled Adrenal Pump
Incorporating some of the same technology used in Juicer bio-comps without the nasty long-term effects, this experimental adrenal system allows for brief periods of highly-augmented physical performances, followed by a relatively controlled "crash."

Base Item: Adrenal System (Strain 2; Grants +2 to recover from Shaken, always on)
Abilities:
  • Extra Action (3)
  • Uncanny Reflexes (4)
  • Fearless (2)
  • Speed - x2 Pace (2)
Modifiers (Apply to all SPC2 abilities):
  • Requires Activation (-1)
  • Limitation (-2): Lasts 3 rounds; Maintaining after that requires a Vigor check each round with a penalty equal to the number of rounds active; After use, gain a level of Fatigue that goes away after 30 minutes of rest/inactivity

Compared to (for argument's sake):

Enchanted Adrenal Pump
Somebody magicked up an adrenal system with mystical red paint to make it go faster.

Base Item: Adrenal System (Strain 2; Grants +2 to recover from Shaken, always on)
Abilities:
  • Major Mod: Quickness with Shroud trapping (-1 to hit ranged)
  • Major Mod: Brave Edge
  • Major Mod: Dodge Edge
  • Minor Mod: +1 Parry
PPE: 10 (automatic)
Complication to gain an extra Major Mod: After use, gain a level of Fatigue that goes away after 30 minutes of rest/inactivity

That's a little cheat-y, to add a complication and extra Major Mod, but makes it easier to compare. The enchanted item takes a roll of some kind to activate Quickness, which gets you the same extra action (and allows double movement, so covers the Speed power, too) with a potential raise benefit to boost initiative. Brave is worse than Fearless, but Dodge and the Parry bonus would be always on, rather than activated like Uncanny Reflexes, and offer an equal benefit when Shroud is active. Overall, seems close enough for government work.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

High Command wrote:Exclusive Modifier - Weapon Trappings
For one point, a Scientist may add one of the following weapon trappings:
  • 1 PP: Vibro-Blades - Increases the added die of the base melee weapon by one step and adds AP 4 and the Mega-Damage quality.
  • 2 PP: Chain Weapons - Doubles the added die of the base melee weapon (so Str+d8 becomes Str+2d8) and adds AP 2 and the Mega-Damage quality.
    Explosive Weapons - Explosive Weapons such as Rockets and Grenades do Mega-Damage.
  • 1 or 2 PP: Plasma Weapons - Firing what amounts to a tiny comet of superheated gas, plasma weapons are heavy, bulky affairs, causing them all to have a minimum strength rating (d8 to d12, depending on the item). Some also have the Snapfire quality (−2 if the firer moves on the same round) (the second PP rating). They have some distinct advantages, though.
[/list]
I'm not quite sure about some of these, mainly the melee ones. With this, you'd end up with a Vibro-trapped melee weapon that does Strength +2d8, AP 4 (2 levels of Melee Attack is Str +2d6, boosted by a die type) or a Chain-trapped weapon that does Strength +4d6, AP 2. I think I'd rather just see people use standard weapons from TLPG as a base item.

For ranged weapons, I think the trappings work better.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Note - SPC does not have access to Core Trappings - period. So aside from defining damage/energy type and source of the power, there ARE NO TRAPPINGS in SPC, at least no effects from them.

if the concern is double dipping - that's easy.
If the base item is a Vibro-Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping.

Same for Chain Weapons
Tales of the 17th SOG
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

High Command wrote:Note - SPC does not have access to Core Trappings - period. So aside from defining damage/energy type and source of the power, there ARE NO TRAPPINGS in SPC.
I'm not saying we don't need trappings, and for ranged attacks I like the option of being able to make it ion or laser or plasma, etc. I'm just saying that I think the two melee options have some (possibly) unintended effects, that push damage outside established bounds (which is something we've avoided thus far).
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Appologies, I added this during your reply Tribe.
High Command wrote:If the concern is double dipping - that's easy.
If the base item is a Vibro-Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping.

Same for Chain Weapons
Tales of the 17th SOG
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

High Command wrote:Appologies, I added this during your reply Tribe.
High Command wrote:If the concern is double dipping - that's easy.

Same for Chain Weapons
Gotcha. Double-dipping isn't my concern. My concern is this lets me make a melee weapon that does Str+4d6, AP 2, which is better than what's possible in core. In the past, we have steered away from doing that.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Modified the following

• 1 PP: Vibro-Blades - Increases the added die of the base melee weapon by one step and adds AP 4 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Vibro-Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping.
  • 2 PP: Chain Weapons - Doubles the added die of the base melee weapon (so Str+d8 becomes Str+2d8) and adds AP 2 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Chain Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping.
the best I can make using a non-chain or vibro weapon is a Great Chain Axe - Str+2d10, AP 3, Parry –1, 2 hands - a Novice Item based on the Core Great Axe. Might give it a minimum Str as well, simply because it makes sense.

Edit:
So after talking with Tribe, it seems I missed the cheese entirely. His concern is this combined with the Melee Attack Power. Neither VV nor I considered not starting with an existing weapon. So what we're suggesting is removing the Melee Attack power entirely, and including the Integrated Melee Weapon modifier from Tinkerer for 2 PP. And since we're eliminating that power, we'd add in SOME of the options from it into the modifications list. But the end effect would be the same - every ability of an item has to be 2 PP - it can include modifiers, but the final total must be 2 PP. Or least that's how I read it.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

High Command wrote:But the end effect would be the same - every ability of an item has to be 2 PP - it can include modifiers, but the final total must be 2 PP. Or least that's how I read it.
Two levels, i.e. can only be taken twice. Might cost more than 2 points.

VV
Signature
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

UTI - UltraLite Parkour Armor
Designed with juicers, crazies, and other enhanced beings this armor features a micro-exoskeleton that boosts leaping, movement, and agility.
  • +4 Armor +1 Toughness
  • Strength Minimum: d6
  • Environmental Protection: None.
  • Running & Leaping: Powerful micro hydraulics allow the wearer to double their normal pace and can propel them 4” high and 8” across. By bouncing off vertical surfaces the user can climb extremely high and may scale any height as long as there is an opposing wall within 4” to bounce off of. When combining a leap with a Fighting attack, the leaper adds +2 to any damage caused at the end of the jump.
  • Gyrostablizers: In addition to providing speed and power the micro-exoskeleton keeps tight telemetry of the wearer’s movements and uses offsetting forces to help maintain balance and coordination. The stablizers add +2 to all Agility rolls made to perform acrobatic maneuvers (including Trick maneuvers), and also adds +1 to a character’s Parry as long as he has no encumbrance penalty.
  • Weight: 13 lbs
  • Leaping 2 points, bounce +1, Death From Above +1 (4)
    Speed 2 points, 2 x Pace (2)
    Super Edge, Acrobat, 2 points (2)
    Base Item: Cannonball Armor
Signature
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

By the bye, we should remove the "Novice" and "Seasoned" options from the list, shouldn't we (it being a Veteran edge)?

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Wild Weasel SAMAS
PA-09-AVT SAMAS: Size 2, +10 M.D.C. Armor, +2 Toughness, Strength d12+4,
Pace: 10 (Run d8)
Notes: Flight System (Pace 25, Climb 2), Advanced Comms Systems adds +1 die type to Knowledge (Electronics)
Signal Jamming:The character can cause technological devices in a Medium Burst Template to fail. Jamming a system requires a Knowledge (Electronics) roll, minus the modifiers for complexity If successful, the device malfunctions in some way. Simple to moderately complex devices just stop working. Complex devices lose a random subsystem, determined by the Game Master. Range is 12”.
Signal Monitoring: The Wild Weasel can tap into radio and video broadcasts within one mile. Connecting to an encrypted transmission requires a Knowledge (Electronics) roll at –2.
Weapons:
  • Light Rail Gun (handheld)
  • Rocket Launcher
Heroic: 8 Points
  • Broadcast (2)
    Malfunction (3), Area Effect (2)
    Super Skill (1)
    Base Item: SAMAS
Signature
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Super looking forward to this!! Best thing to happen in quite some time.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Slight Correction: All of the Bandito SAMAS built in Area 51 are Vectored Thrust System.

Wild Weasel Vectored Thrust SAMAS
The Wild Weasel version of the Sidewinder was designed to be a one-man infantry electronic-countermeasure and communications unit. Its mission is to work alongside the standard SAMAS (in this case, the Sidewinder) to provide support, battlefield intelligence, anti-missile capabilities and forward observation and targeting. The Sidewinder is slightly faster than the Wild Weasel, but is also slightly less heavily armored. The Wild Weasel has the heavier armor, because it is more likely to be a target. Keeping in mind its role of information gathering and transmission, the Wild Weasel has (comparatively) short-range, plasma ejector forearm blasters with greater damage capability to destroy any missiles that may evade its jamming defense. It also counts on other units to come to its defense, while the Weasel continues to gather and transmit vital combat data and communications.
It has only been in the past few years that Bandito Arms has publically unveiled their two versions of the famous Coalition SAMAS power armor. Since they are notorious for stealing technology and "knocking it off (copying it) — particularly CS weapons and armor — the recent release of SAMAS-like power armor is presumed to be a knock-off of Coalition technology. This is a reasonable presumption, and one that Bandito Arms does not try to dispute. Emperor Prosek and other CS leaders love their secrets, so revealing that the CS is utilizing pre-Rifts technology would only serve to create a firestorm of denial and retribution. Thus, Bandito Arms and its Black Market masters are content to let people believe what they will. A wise decision, since the simple release of the SAMAS power armor (a secret technology that the CS considers their exclusive property) has incensed the Coalition who has responded with both political and military attacks against the Black Market, tenfold greater than any past actions against them. The CS has declared the possession, let alone use, of a Bandito Sidewinder or Wild Weasel SAM, a crime against the States punishable by immediate execution, without trial! This created a stir in late 103 and early 104 when the armors were introduced. While the fervor of the C.S. response has died down, their reaction has not.
PA-09-AVT-W SAMAS: Size 2, +9 M.D.C. Armor, +3 Toughness, Strength d12+4,
Notes: Vehicle Grade Flight System (Pace 25, Climb 2)
Vectored Thrust System: The Wild Weasel has vectored thrust which provides greater maneuverability, control, thrust and speed (see bonuses and speed). This applies a –1 penalty to all ranged attack rolls made against the power armor.
Signal Jamming:The character can cause technological devices in a Medium Burst Template to fail. Jamming a system requires a Knowledge (Electronics) roll, minus the modifiers for complexity If successful, the device malfunctions in some way. Simple to moderately complex devices just stop working. Complex devices lose a random subsystem, determined by the Game Master. Range is 12”.
Signal Monitoring: The Wild Weasel can tap into radio and video broadcasts within one mile. Connecting to an encrypted transmission requires a Knowledge (Electronics) roll at –2.
Weapons:
  • Arm Mounted Short-Range Plasma Ejectors:
    Though this weapon system is physically two separate weapons, they work as one due to the power armor's targeting assist systems.
    • Range: 12/24/48
      Damage: 3d8, M.D., Plasma
      Rate of Fire: 2
      Payload: Unlimited
      Weight: 7
  • Chaff-Flare Decoy: Each of these defensive flares provides an additional -2 to be hit by rockets and missiles.
    • Payload: 24. Reloads cost 200 credits each.
SuperTech Costing
  • Broadcast (2)
    Switchable: Jamming: Malfunction (3), Area Effect (2), Limitation (Electronic and energy devices only - not strictly mechanical; -1)
    Chaff-Flare Decoy: Deflection 2, Limitation (only versus missiles and rockets; -1)
    Vectored Thrust System: Deflection (1)
    • Base Item: SAMAS
    Remove Stock Weapons (Rocket launcher and Rail Gun) -4 PP
    Implanted Weapon (2): Arm Mounted Short-Range Plasma Ejector
    Plasma Trapping (2 PP for no Snapfire)
    • Base Item: TX-30
    unlimited ammo - linked to PA power source
Sidewinder Vectored Thrust SAMAS
Project Sidewinder was an attempt to upgrade the original SAMAS into an even more versatile combat unit by using a vectored thrust propulsion system and extra weaponry. The Sidewinder would also be the test vehicle for a series of upgraded combat systems like the "Big Bang" grenade launcher. In the end, the armored suit was to be the ultimate infantry assault vehicle. The experimental nature of the design, despite being mass produced now, means it is -2 to be repaired, in addition to any other modifiers.
It has only been in the past few years that Bandito Arms has publically unveiled their two versions of the famous Coalition SAMAS power armor. Since they are notorious for stealing technology and "knocking it off (copying it) — particularly CS weapons and armor — the recent release of SAMAS-like power armor is presumed to be a knock-off of Coalition technology. This is a reasonable presumption, and one that Bandito Arms does not try to dispute. Emperor Prosek and other CS leaders love their secrets, so revealing that the CS is utilizing pre-Rifts technology would only serve to create a firestorm of denial and retribution. Thus, Bandito Arms and its Black Market masters are content to let people believe what they will. A wise decision, since the simple release of the SAMAS power armor (a secret technology that the CS considers their exclusive property) has incensed the Coalition who has responded with both political and military attacks against the Black Market, tenfold greater than any past actions against them. The CS has declared the possession, let alone use, of a Bandito Sidewinder or Wild Weasel SAM, a crime against the States punishable by immediate execution, without trial! This created a stir in late 103 and early 104 when the armors were introduced. While the fervor of the C.S. response has died down, their reaction has not.
PA-09-AVT-S SAMAS: Size 2, +8 M.D.C. Armor, +2 Toughness, Strength d12+4,
Notes: Vehicle Grade Flight System (Pace 30, Climb 2)
Vectored Thrust System: The Wild Weasel has vectored thrust which provides greater maneuverability, control, thrust and speed (see bonuses and speed). This applies a –1 penalty to all ranged attack rolls made against the power armor.
Upgraded Targeting Computer: In addition to allowing the dual weapon systems to be linked, this computer also adds one die to the pilot's shooting skill.
Weapons:
  • Forearm Mounted Short-Range Lasers
    Though this weapon system is physically two separate weapons, they work as one due to the power armor's targeting assist systems.
    • Range: 12/24/48
      Damage: 2d6+1, AP 2
      Rate of Fire: 2 or 3RB
      Shots: Unlimited
      Weight: 4
    Light Rail Gun
    2x Mini-Missile Launchers (Payload 12 each)
SuperTech Costing
  • Implanted Weapon (2): CP-20 Laser Pistol
    Implanted Weapon: Mini-Missile Launcher (4)
    Targeting Computer: +1 Shooting Die (1)
    Vectored Thrust System: Deflection (1)
    • Base Item: SAMAS
Remove Rocket Launcher and Replace with Mini-Missile system
Tales of the 17th SOG
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Pursuit wrote:By the bye, we should remove the "Novice" and "Seasoned" options from the list, shouldn't we (it being a Veteran edge)?
Born a Hero means it has to stay.
Tales of the 17th SOG
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

This is a version that was done for an EP contest years ago on EU. This would be a heavier version of what VV did above.

TFRC-02 FreeRunner Combat Exoskeleton
FreiRunner was one of the rare NGR companies that was not affiliated with Triax. That is up until recently when Triax bought them. Most of the innovations FR employs are copies of N.A. versions. In light of FR's purchase many industry insiders have suggested that the entire company was a ruse used so Triax could blamelessly steal these ideas. Either way, depending on initial sales many of these items will be mass-produced for the NGR and the world. After the purchase, the best and the brightest Freirunner engineers were reassigned to design items with a military application. Designed with juicers, crazies, and other enhanced beings this exoskeleton features a micro-exoskeleton that boosts leaping, movement, and agility.
  • +6 Armor +1 Toughness
  • Environmental Protection: Full
  • It also has built-in mini-computers for basic functions; a communications system with a 10 mile range; public-address loudspeakers; a laser distancer; and a nightvision mode for vision.
  • Running & Leaping: Powerful micro hydraulics allow the wearer to double their normal pace and can propel them 4” high and 8” across. By bouncing off vertical surfaces the user can climb extremely high and may scale any height as long as there is an opposing wall within 4” to bounce off of. When combining a leap with a Fighting attack, the leaper adds +2 to any damage caused at the end of the jump.
  • Gyrostablizers: In addition to providing speed and power the micro-exoskeleton keeps tight telemetry of the wearer’s movements and uses offsetting forces to help maintain balance and coordination. The stablizers add +2 to all Agility rolls made to perform acrobatic maneuvers (including Trick maneuvers), and also adds +1 to a character’s Parry as long as he has no encumbrance penalty.
  • Weight: 15 lbs; The exoskeleton has a Strength Minimum of d6.
  • Cost: 147,500 credits.

SuperTech Build
  • Leaping 2 points, bounce +1, Death From Above +1 (4)
    Speed 2 points, 2 x Pace (2)
    Super Edge, Acrobat, 2 points (2)
    Base Item: T-43 Armor
    Cost: 67,500+80,000 = 147,500 credits.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

I'm thinking we ought to include a general rule allowing you to purchase mods from the Tinkerer list (1 PP for a Minor, 2 PP for a Major) to cover things like weight reduction, improved ammo capacity, as well as the integrated weapons and equipment. Seems strange that those mods wouldn't be available, but they're not SPC2 options.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

TLDR Version:
Added:
Exclusive Modifier - Implanted Weapons.
For personal weapons, PP Cost is 2 +1 for every 100 pounds after the first 100 (round up). For vehicular weapons, 2+ Mods equal PP cost, but no weapon with a Mod greater than the character’s Size can be implanted. Multiply cost by 1.5 to get the implanted version cost. So a Mini Rail Gun (at 2 mods) would be 2 (for the base Implanted weapon) and 2x2=4 PP. This would cost a total of 6 PP and the item must be sized appropriate to handle the implanted weapon. Implanted Weapons are considered ready if the item containing them is.
  • Commentary: Not completely sure on the costing here, but I based it on the Cybernetic version where Strain = PP.
Reduce the base item's weight by 50% for 1 PP, 75% for 2 PP. 1 PP reduces Minimum Strength by one die step, and 2 PP reduces them by two die steps. If the Minimum Strength is reduced to d4, it is eliminated.
  • Commentary: Including this from Tinkerer and every other Item Mod system
Modified:
1 PP: Vibro-Blades - Increases the added die of the base melee weapon by one step and adds AP 4 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Vibro-Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping. This cannot be applied to the Attack, Melee power. Use that power's built in modifiers instead.
2 PP: Chain Weapons - Doubles the added die of the base melee weapon (so Str+d8 becomes Str+2d8) and adds AP 2 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Chain Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping. This cannot be applied to the Attack, Melee power. Use that power's built in modifiers instead.
1 or 2 PP: Plasma Weapons - Firing what amounts to a tiny comet of superheated gas, plasma weapons are heavy, bulky affairs, causing them all to have a minimum strength rating (d8 to d12, depending on the item). Some also have the Snapfire quality (−2 if the firer moves on the same round), though not all (the second PP rating applies to those plasma weapons without Snapfire penalties). They have some distinct advantages, though.

I actually disagree with adding most options from Tinkerer. But the two above make sense.
Revised version
New Edge:

New Creation Rules:

Creation Process
  • Preparation: The Super-Scientist needs parts costing 150% of the item’s initial (list) price. The procedure takes 3d12 hours for personal weapons or gear, or 1d6 weeks for larger installations, such as furniture, vehicles, seige gear, or building parts (such as SuperTech doors for the base armory).
Literally Super Tech
Since they are not “magical” super-tech weapons are not powered by PPE or ISP. Instead they are considered device built using abilities found in the Super Powers Companion. These points can be used to purchase powers, edges, and skill increases as if the item granted super powers with the “device” trapping. Maximum amount that can purchased is two levels in any single super power. Points cannot be used to increase damage dice for ranged or melee weapons.

Upgrades
Installing Upgrade
Every 2 points added to a super-tech item costs 10,000 credits in parts and requires 3d12 hours (cumulative). Super-tech items are limited to a number of points based on the super-scientist's rank, shown in the chart above. As above, a failure wastes the time and materials, a success installs the upgrade, and a raise grants an additional point (provided the device can take another point). The Super-Scientists makes a Build roll (lowest of Knowledge (Electronics), Knowledge (Engineering), or Repair skill) but at −1 for each rank of the device. Generic (SPC, page 18) and Unique Modifiers (below) can be used to reduce/increase point costs.

Activation

• Invent
    Undead
    Super Sorcery
Allowed Modifiers
Contingent (-1/-2)
Device (-1/-2)
Integrated Weapon (+2*)
Limitation (-1/-2)
Power Source (-1/-2)
Projectile (+1)
Ranged Touch Attack (+2)
Requires Activation (-1)
Slow to Activate (-1)
Switchable (+2)
Weapon Trapping (+1)
Weight Modification (+1/+2)
    For personal weapons, PP Cost is 2 +1 for every 100 pounds after the first 100 (round up). For vehicular weapons, 2+ Mods equal PP cost, but no weapon with a Mod greater than the character’s Size can be implanted. Multiply cost by 1.5 to get the implanted version cost. So a Mini Rail Gun (at 2 mods) would be 2 (for the base Implanted weapon) and 2x2=4 PP. This would cost a total of 6 PP and the item must be sized appropriate to handle the implanted weapon. Implanted Weapons are considered ready if the item containing them is.

• E-Clips. Generally use e-clips with 20 shots. Each shot works for 1 use of an offensive power or 10 minutes for the use of a non-offensive ability (like an edge). As long as the clip is not empty any associated super-tech functions will continue to work. When the device is unpowered the item will not work and its abilities are unavailable. This is a 2 point Limitation.

A Scientist may add one of the following weapon trappings. Note, all Trappings are exclusive, but multiple modes might be assigned different trappings.
    • 1 PP: Vibro-Blades - Increases the added die of the base melee weapon by one step and adds AP 4 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Vibro-Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping. This cannot be applied to the Attack, Melee power. Use that power's built in modifiers instead.
    • 2 PP: Chain Weapons - Doubles the added die of the base melee weapon (so Str+d8 becomes Str+2d8) and adds AP 2 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Chain Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping. This cannot be applied to the Attack, Melee power. Use that power's built in modifiers instead.
    • 1 or 2 PP: Plasma Weapons - Firing what amounts to a tiny comet of superheated gas, plasma weapons are heavy, bulky affairs, causing them all to have a minimum strength rating (d8 to d12, depending on the item). Some also have the Snapfire quality (−2 if the firer moves on the same round), though not all (the second PP rating applies to those plasma weapons without Snapfire penalties). They have some distinct advantages, though.
Example Items

CS Psi-Implant Device - Pyrokinetic Implant
?

Noro Psi-Amplification Helmet
?

A-1 Avenger Power Armor (based on any size 3 PA)
?
Copy this to modify the above

[b][u]New Edge[/u][/b]: 
[b][size=150]Super Scientist[/size][/b] [Professional Edge]
[u]Prerequisite[/u]: Veteran, the Gadgeteer or Tinkerer Edge, Knowledge (Engineering) or Knowledge (Science) d10+, Repair d10+

[u][b]New Creation Rules[/b][/u]: 
[b][u][size=150][center]Item Creation: Experimental Super Technology Items[/center][/size][/u][/b]

[list][b]Build Roll[/b]: The Super-Scientist makes a roll using the lower of Knowledge (Science), Knowledge (Engineering), or the Repair skill; this is the standard roll for Super-tech Item design and is called a Build roll. A Weird Scientist or Psionic Operator may substitute their Arcane skill for either of the two Knowledge skills. On a failure, the time and parts are wasted, but on a success the Super-tech item is complete. If the Scientist gets a raise, he may add one Minor Upgrade (see below).[/list]
[b]All[/b] items made with Super-Tech are subject to Technical Difficulties, have their weight reduced by 25% and are -2 to be repaired

[size=150][b]Creation Process[/b][/size]

[list][b]Preparation[/b]: The Super-Scientist needs parts costing 150% of the item’s initial (list) price. The procedure takes 3d12 hours for personal weapons or gear, or 1d6 weeks for larger installations, such as furniture, vehicles, seige gear, or building parts (such as SuperTech doors for the base armory).
[/list]
[b]Literally Super Tech[/b]
Since they are not “magical” super-tech weapons are not powered by PPE or ISP. Instead they are considered device built using abilities found in the [i]Super Powers Companion[/i]. These points can be used to purchase powers, edges, and skill increases as if the item granted super powers with the “device” trapping. Maximum amount that can purchased is two levels in any single super power. Points cannot be used to increase damage dice for ranged or melee weapons. 

[b][u]Upgrades[/b][/u]
[list][b][u]Novice[/u][/b]: 2 points
[u][b]Seasoned[/b][/u]: 4 points
[b][u]Veteran[/u][/b]: 6 points
[u][b]Heroic[/b][/u]: 8 points
[u][b]Legendary[/b][/u]: 10 points 
[/list]
[b][u][size=150]Installing Upgrade[/size][/u][/b]

[b][u]Activation[/b][/u]

[b][u]Banned SPC Powers and Modifications List[/u][/b]
[list]Invent
Undead
Super Sorcery
[/list]

[b][u]Allowed Modifiers[/u][/b]
Contingent (-1/-2)
Device (-1/-2)
Integrated Weapon (+2*)
Limitation (-1/-2)
Power Source (-1/-2)
Projectile (+1)
Ranged Touch Attack (+2)
Requires Activation (-1)
Slow to Activate (-1)
Switchable (+2)
Weapon Trapping (+1)
[list][b][u]Exclusive Modifier - Implanted Weapons[/b][/u].
[b][u]Exclusive Modifier - Power Sources[/b][/u].

[list][b]E-Clips[/b]. Generally use e-clips with 20 shots. Each shot works for 1 use of an offensive power or 10 minutes for the use of a non-offensive ability (like an edge). As long as the clip is not empty any associated super-tech functions will continue to work. When the device is unpowered the item will not work and its abilities are unavailable. This is a 2 point Limitation. 

[b]E-Canisters/Batteries[/b]. Some items (especially armor) have a battery of some sort with a listed duration (e.g. armored exoskeleton like the NG Gladius). The battery is restricted to 96 hours of continuous use before needing to be recharged (taking 2 hours at any power source). When the battery is drained any associated super-tech will not work either. This is a 1 point Limitation.[/list]
[b][u]Exclusive Modifier - Weapon Trappings[/b][/u]
A Scientist may add one of the following weapon trappings. Note, all Trappings are exclusive, but multiple modes might be assigned different trappings. 
[list][*]1 PP: Vibro-Blades - Increases the added die of the base melee weapon by one step and adds AP 4 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Vibro-Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping. This cannot be applied to the [i]Attack, Melee[/i] power. Use that power's built in modifiers instead. 
[*]2 PP: Chain Weapons - Doubles the added die of the base melee weapon (so Str+d8 becomes Str+2d8) and adds AP 2 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Chain Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping. This cannot be applied to the [i]Attack, Melee[/i] power. Use that power's built in modifiers instead. 
[*]1 PP: Explosive Weapons - Explosive Weapons such as Rockets and Grenades do Mega-Damage. 
[*]1 or 2 PP: BigBore Munitions - The ultimate in riot control munitions, these weapons do the damage and effects[url=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1800]listed here.[/url] Revolver style rounds are 1 PP, Shotgun rounds are 2 PP. This can be combined with other effects, except damage.
[*]1 PP: Ion Weapons - Personal ion guns follow the same rules as shotguns in Savage Worlds. They grant +2 Shooting due to the spread effect of the ion stream, but they lose one die of damage at Medium Range, and two dice at Long. They must do 3 dice of damage at short range. 
[*]0 PP: Laser Weapons - In the futuristic setting of Rifts, lasers are the standard by which all other weapons are measured. This modifies the weapon by 0 points as it is the assumed damage type for ranged weapons. 
[*]1 PP: Particle beam - Particle beam weapons are based on a variant form of lasers. They have considerably shorter ranges, but pack a heavier punch. Reduce range by a least a third, but increase damage by one die type. 
[*]1 or 2 PP: Plasma Weapons - Firing what amounts to a tiny comet of superheated gas, plasma weapons are heavy, bulky affairs, causing them all to have a minimum strength rating (d8 to d12, depending on the item). Some also have the Snapfire quality (−2 if the firer moves on the same round), though not all (the second PP rating applies to those plasma weapons without Snapfire penalties). They have some distinct advantages, though.
First, plasma hits a target all-at-once, engulfing the target and affecting the least-armored area on the body. This means anyone not in fully sealed armor is in serious trouble. Second, plasma tends to ignite targets (usually 1 in 6 chance), doing 1d10 continuous damage until it’s doused. Finally, plasma weapons all do Mega Damage.[/list]
[b][u]Exclusive Modifier - Implanted Weapons[/b][/u].
Reduce the base item's weight by 50% for 1 PP, 75% for 2 PP. 1 PP reduces Minimum Strength by one die step, and 2 PP reduces them by two die steps. If the Minimum Strength is reduced to d4, it is eliminated.[/list]
[b][size=150]Example Items[/size][/b]

[b]CS Psi-Implant Device - Pyrokinetic Implant[/b]
?

[b]Noro Psi-Amplification Helmet[/b]
?

[b]A-1 Avenger Power Armor[/b] (based on any size 3 PA)
?
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Can the two patron harnesses be further enhanced with super tech?
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:Can the two patron harnesses be further enhanced with super tech?
Don't see why not. They are just basic gear, nothing all that special, aside from a built in option and attachment options.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I am really late to this conversation because it mostly happened durring the week I announced I would be away with limited participation.

If you are using SPC points, I think there should be a limit of no more than 4 or maybe 6 in a single ability. So that would mean the more powerful super tech stuff would have to have some limitations on them.

Also prevents things like "Super Skill (shooting) 8"
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

There's a limit of 2 levels to any power built in.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

High Command wrote:There's a limit of 2 levels to any power built in.
Great, thanks.

Can an edit be put in to allow Super Skills to go to +4? That is the normal Equipment limit.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Up to VV, he set the limit at 2 levels. Also, literally no other creation method except TW can do that at Heroic and it is VERY expensive and wasteful to do that.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

High Command wrote:Up to VV, he set the limit at 2 levels
I guess player could still get Cybernetics or other equipment that provides access to the +4.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Yeah, the +2 Limit on Super-Skill is okay as-is (especially since that's die-types, which can be more useful than flat bonuses in some cases, as I talked about in the HO thread).

As to the notion of a cap on actual Power costs, I would suggest 5 points as the limit, if we're going to install one. This would allow a handful of powers at unmodified costs (Healing, Intangibility, higher level Awareness, Energy Control, Mind Control, and the second tier of Resistance). It also balances the fact that we're technically not counting the -1/-2 that all these Powers theoretically should be getting for having the "Device" limitation.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Freemage wrote:Yeah, the +2 Limit on Super-Skill is okay as-is (especially since that's die-types, which can be more useful than flat bonuses in some cases, as I talked about in the HO thread).

As to the notion of a cap on actual Power costs, I would suggest 5 points as the limit, if we're going to install one. This would allow a handful of powers at unmodified costs (Healing, Intangibility, higher level Awareness, Energy Control, Mind Control, and the second tier of Resistance). It also balances the fact that we're technically not counting the -1/-2 that all these Powers theoretically should be getting for having the "Device" limitation.
Sounds good to me
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

I'd remove the references to implanted Vehicular Weaponry. The normal rules for swapping out Vehicle Weapons work fine for actual PA and robots -- and force you to trade out existing weapons, rather than simply adding more -- and you're not going to be able to add anything vehicular to man-sized weapons and armor, anyway.

Also, the Exclusive Modifier to reduce weight is mislabeled as "Implanted Weapons."

As far as a point cap, I don't see a need if we limit it to no more than 2 levels of a given power, plus modifiers, and totaling no more than 8 (for Heroic) or 10 (Legendary). The only powers that cost more than 5/level are Construct (8), Possession (8) and Undead (10), and I can see some potentially cool items using those. What, specifically, are you worried about that would require some other point cap?
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

The only one that I was worried about is the + 10 skill or the + 8 skill
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

RFT wrote:The only one that I was worried about is the + 10 skill or the + 8 skill
Right, but that's handled by limiting things to no more than two levels. Not to mention, for a tech character, cyber (Either a Subject Matter Expert Port or Wired Skill Port) Is gonna be way more efficient.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Hello,

I will leave this open for comment until Monday July 9.

VV
Signature
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Tribe of One wrote:
RFT wrote:The only one that I was worried about is the + 10 skill or the + 8 skill
Right, but that's handled by limiting things to no more than two levels. Not to mention, for a tech character, cyber (Either a Subject Matter Expert Port or Wired Skill Port) Is gonna be way more efficient.
The one other thing that would be prevented by the 5-point cap would be an unlimited Level 2 Extra Action Mod (6 points).

Hm... Worst-case scenario:

Lyn-Srial Crazy
Lyn-Srial (Race gets 2 actions)
Split the Seconds (+1 Action)
8-point Item with Extra Actions 2 and Speed 1 (+2 Actions)
Ambidextrous & Two-Fisted (+1 Action)
Improved Frenzy (1 attack is a double-strike)
Exalted Quickness (+1 Action via ignoring first two MAP each turn, PLUS Wash, Rinse, Repeat all of the above)

So 14 attacks per turn, two of which are Imp. Frenzy Attacks.

I'm thinking that instead of worrying about point caps, we just dump Extra Actions on the "Can't Touch This" pile and never speak of the Power in relation to this ruleset again.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

I don't disagree with this
Tales of the 17th SOG
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Freemage wrote:I'm thinking that instead of worrying about point caps, we just dump Extra Actions on the "Can't Touch This" pile and never speak of the Power in relation to this ruleset again.
Done.

What about adding powers to cybernetic implants to make a super tech cyber item?

I was even thinking a super-tech cyborg using the Borg IF and some points layered on.

VV
Signature
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Well, considering that's the very idea that kicked us back to this discussion, I'm for it. (Lance's Drill is the Cybernetic mining apparatus.)
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Venatus Vinco wrote:
Freemage wrote:I'm thinking that instead of worrying about point caps, we just dump Extra Actions on the "Can't Touch This" pile and never speak of the Power in relation to this ruleset again.
Done.

What about adding powers to cybernetic implants to make a super tech cyber item?

I was even thinking a super-tech cyborg using the Borg IF and some points layered on.

VV
Hold on now -- Extra Action -- once -- is on the top of my list to take. See my example above, using a cyber system as the base item. It's functionally no different than Quickness, and helps level the playing field for mundanes.

I've got no problem limiting it to no more than one level, or saying it can't stack with Extra Arms, etc. But it should be an option.

Edit: See here:
Tribe of One wrote: Proof-of-concept Signature Item:

Heroic Tier = 8 SPC2 points

Bleeding Edge Cyber-Controlled Adrenal Pump
Incorporating some of the same technology used in Juicer bio-comps without the nasty long-term effects, this experimental adrenal system allows for brief periods of highly-augmented physical performances, followed by a relatively controlled "crash."

Abilities:
  • Extra Action (3)
  • Uncanny Reflexes (4)
  • Fearless (2)
  • Speed - x2 Pace (2)
Modifiers (Apply to all SPC2 abilities):
  • Requires Activation (-1)
  • Limitation (-2): Lasts 3 rounds; Maintaining after that requires a Vigor check each round with a penalty equal to the number of rounds active; After use, gain a level of Fatigue that goes away after 30 minutes of rest/inactivity

Compared to (for argument's sake):

Enchanted Adrenal Pump
Somebody magicked up an adrenal system with mystical red paint to make it go faster.

Abilities:
  • Major Mod: Quickness with Shroud trapping (-1 to hit ranged)
  • Major Mod: Brave Edge
  • Major Mod: Dodge Edge
PPE: 10 (automatic)
Complication to gain an extra Major Mod: After use, gain a level of Fatigue that goes away after 30 minutes of rest/inactivity

That's a little cheat-y, to add a complication and extra Major Mod, but makes it easier to compare. The enchanted item takes a roll of some kind to activate Quickness, which gets you the same extra action (and allows double movement, so covers the Speed power, too) with a potential raise benefit to boost initiative. Brave is worse than Fearless, but Dodge and the Parry bonus would be always on, rather than activated like Uncanny Reflexes, and offer an equal benefit when Shroud is active. Overall, seems close enough for government work.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Maybe.

One level of extra actions with stacking restrictions. I am leery because of my general disdain for quickness.

VV
Signature
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Venatus Vinco wrote:Maybe.

One level of extra actions with stacking restrictions. I am leery because of my general disdain for quickness.

VV
Until/unless we ban Quickness, mundanes ought to have an option to level the field. And Extra Action isn't even up to Quickness level, it just gets you an action, no movement.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

UTI Zapper Gun
Damage: Special
ROF: 1
Range: 10/20/40
Payload: 12
Weight: 2
Cost: 5,000+mod costs
Notes: On a successful Shooting attack the victim must make a Vigor roll at -2 or be Shaken. On a raise, the victim is Incapacitated on a failed Vigor roll. Incapacitated characters make a Vigor roll at -2 each round to revive. Success means they revive but are Shaken and can recover on the next round as usual. On a raise they revive instantly, not Shaken.

SuperTech Info
  • Base Item: NG-56 Light Ion Pistol
  • Powers: Stun (2)
  • Modifiers: Strong (+1), Projectile (+1), Limitation: E-clips (-2)
Signature
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

I think we need to remove "Device" from allowed modifiers. All these items are devices by definition. It's baked into the system as it were.

VV
Signature
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Agreed on Device--it's silly to put on this, unless the Super Device creates a device that can then be stolen... It's silly.

Tribe: Thing is, ST Extra Actions are most likely to benefit spellcasters--other than Crazies, who can whip out their Split the Seconds, most casters have no good options for getting a second action (the sole exception being Lyn-Srial). ST EA means that a caster can now get a second spell off without dealing with Strain. And THEN stack it with Quickness. 4 spells a round, no waiting! Now everyone can do the Spam Boost Trait trick that Rob was talking about in Hangouts.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

drop extra actions please. Sooooo many ways to do this in core and SR. Use the super powers that are not aptly done in core or SR.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

I just want to be able to slap Extra Action on some super cyberware for my MARS Merc Soldier, who has no other way of getting access to extra actions. Whatever limitations need to be added to prevent characters from doubling or tripling up is fine, but there is literally no other option for mundane humans to get an extra action aside from tech.

EDIT: Since it’s tech, why not just say the Extra Action doesn’t stack with other Edges or racial abilities that grant additional actions, and can’t be used to activate powers?
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Tribe of One wrote:I just want to be able to slap Extra Action on some super cyberware for my MARS Merc Soldier, who has no other way of getting access to extra actions. Whatever limitations need to be added to prevent characters from doubling or tripling up is fine, but there is literally no other option for mundane humans to get an extra action aside from tech.
If you can have cyberware, you have access to extra actions. Yes, it's a lot of Strain, but it's there for those who want it. And I firmly believe that one reason for the high Strain value is to keep it from being viable for spellcasters.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Freemage wrote:
Tribe of One wrote:I just want to be able to slap Extra Action on some super cyberware for my MARS Merc Soldier, who has no other way of getting access to extra actions. Whatever limitations need to be added to prevent characters from doubling or tripling up is fine, but there is literally no other option for mundane humans to get an extra action aside from tech.
If you can have cyberware, you have access to extra actions. Yes, it's a lot of Strain, but it's there for those who want it. And I firmly believe that one reason for the high Strain value is to keep it from being viable for spellcasters.
Only by taking Extra Arms, which 1) isn’t aesthetically interesting and 2) requires a different set of weapons. I’ve got no problem with the Strain — hell, I proposed a retrap of Extra Arms to just be Wired Reflexes and you guys poo-pooed it. But bottom line, it’s hardly overpowered for a mundane character and actually lets them compete with the magic guys that get all the other toys. I just want an option to do so that doesn’t require slapping extra appendages on my character.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

I am very much against the "cause I want it for x character argument" . The argument that EA is not available for tech characters is not true since extra limbs cybernetics exists. Whether or not that is an attractive option is debatable.

I am not against reskinning extra arms for the same strain cost, maybe a little more since you lose the stigma of additional limbs, or some other method unique to the character in question. But that is another discussion.

I'll mull it over before putting the draft to vote. The fact we are talking about caveats: once only, no spellcatsers etc. Means it needs a hard look. In the meantime let's flag it as "contested" and not generate a huge back and forth.

VV
Signature
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Here’s some simple language that should address concerns RE spellcasters:

“The Extra Action superpower may only be added when the base item is a cybernetic implant and increases Strain by 3 points per level. Extra Limbs may only be added when the base item is a suit of armor and increases Minimum Strength by two die types per level.”

That puts Extra Action (minimum Strain 4) well outside the range of what an AB user could compensate for without dropping a ton of resources into it. Extra Limbs is already limited to physical actions (so not much use to spellcasters), but increasing Min Str makes it even more unappealing for casters while leaving it as an option for someone who wants to mount an automated gun on their armor or something.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Yeah, but I almost added Extra Action to the Sidewinder SAMAS Power Armor and it would have fit the fluff. There's a lot of reasons to allow Extra Action - but I do think there needs to be a note with it along the lines of:

NOTE: Extra Action and Extra Limbs can create some truly broken builds. GMs are encouraged to limit the impact of such items to no more than 2 (maybe 3) total extra actions from any of a variety of sources. Further any spellcaster/Psychic getting Extra Actions via SuperTech should be scrutinized closely. Game breaking consequences are plausible. Players, in general, keep the 2 extra action limit from all sources in mind.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

OP updated.

Poll added.

I personally think all devices should begin with the "Power Source" modifier for no benefit to keep them in line with TW and Enchanted items which require a "power source" (PPE) to function. However, it is complicated to introduce and not a hill worth dying on.

VV
Signature
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Suggestion, Edit this line in the E-Clips Modifier from this
  • E-Clips. Generally use e-clips with 20 shots.

to this
  • E-Clips. Generally use e-clips with 20 shots (or whatever the base item has for shots if different than 20).
This avoids some unintended weirdness
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Again, novice and seasoned don’t make sense on the list, as it’s a veteran edge.

Edit: I thought I had made that comment previously on this thread, but I’m having trouble finding it. It’s possible that I just made it in the Hangout. The point stands, though: only Veteran level devices and up can exist. If someone takes this edge at Novice via Born a Hero, for example, the edge still counts as Veteran and any devices created would be Veteran level.

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Not approved until it is an extention of TW crafting i.e. part of the setting. Making players spend edges to build something is literally the most crazy thing i have ever seen. Sure it is fine for lesser settings, but this is rifts man, just open the gates.

The question is do TW have a special edge that lets them build things? Or is it just part of the setting?

Edge not approved.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Approved. Disagree with both Pursuit and Pender. Can expand on that if needed, but won’t if not :mrgreen:
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

A Novice character takes the shape change power via Born a Hero and he gets the Legendary version of the power. Same thing with warrior’s gift. Same with summon ally. All of those are powers that give increases as the hero levels up, but you get to skip right to the end via Born a Hero. I don’t see why that principle wouldn’t apply here.

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Tribe of One wrote:Approved. Disagree with both Pursuit and Pender. Can expand on that if needed, but won’t if not :mrgreen:
Just curious if it is the making cafting part of the setting like TW conversion rather than force folks to spend edges. Or is it that you believe TW did spend an edge to convert tech into TW items?

Or you are on the opposite side on both things?
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

how is this not point based follow TW rules:

Novice: 2 pts
Seasoned: 6 more pts
Legendary: 2 more pts

I like the gist of it, I just don't see the need for it to be an edge.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

High Command wrote:
Pursuit wrote:By the bye, we should remove the "Novice" and "Seasoned" options from the list, shouldn't we (it being a Veteran edge)?
I missed this last time around. This is not how Born a Hero works. You take an edge, you get the full benefit of the edge, not a watered down version (especially not based on your rank being too low, which defeats the purpose of Born a Hero). A Novice with this edge is treated as a Veteran for the purposes of this edge.

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Pursuit wrote:
High Command wrote:
I missed this last time around. This is not how Born a Hero works. You take an edge, you get the full benefit of the edge, not a watered down version (especially not based on your rank being too low, which defeats the purpose of Born a Hero). A Novice with this edge is treated as a Veteran for the purposes of this edge.
Actually as an edge taken with born a hero it counts as if you are legendary. One reason why it should exist without being an edge.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:
Actually as an edge taken with born a hero it counts as if you are legendary. One reason why it should exist without being an edge.
Good point about the rank. You’re 100% correct: a Novice taking this via Born a Hero would get it at the Legendary level. All the more reason to drop Novice and Seasoned off the list.

(And I get that your argument is for a different thing; I still appreciate the feedback because it helped me refine mine. :))

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:how is this not point based follow TW rules:

The only way for it not to be an edge is if it were part of an Iconic Framework that limited access. TW item creation is intrinsically linked to the TW IF. Period. It has abilities in it that act as a phantom edge that gives access. So as I and pretty much everyone else are loathe to do just that, the edge is the next best option to restrict access. And NO, TWs cannot do this. They can do better with their own process, they do not need another.
Tales of the 17th SOG
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

So I don't normally get involved in these things, because headache. But since it was announced that we have to vote, I read through it.

Mostly I like it. I only have two issues:

1. The rank list. This has already been mentioned, but why are Novice and Seasoned on there if you can't take it until Veteran.
2. Rank requirement. Veteran seems...high. None of the professional edges in SWD are higher than Novice, and none of the professional edges in TLPG are higher than Seasoned. I think the d10s in Knowledge and Repair will naturally push it up to a higher level without the Rank restriction.

So I wasn't sure how I should vote, up or down.
GM Notes
101st GM Bennies: 8/8
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Rising Stars GM Bennies 8/8
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

High Command wrote:
Pender Lumkiss wrote:how is this not point based follow TW rules:

The only way for it not to be an edge is if it were part of an Iconic Framework that limited access. TW item creation is intrinsically linked to the TW IF. Period. It has abilities in it that act as a phantom edge that gives access. So as I and pretty much everyone else are loathe to do just that, the edge is the next best option to restrict access. And NO, TWs cannot do this. They can do better with their own process, they do not need another.
First, Less is more. SR does not need edges to give folks the ability to craft. Who cares if TWs can craft supertech? Who are you guys to say TWs do not need another? This is almost there to being awesome, just let it happen.

2nd, if these are the Prerequisite: Veteran, the Gadgeteer or Tinkerer Edge, Knowledge (Engineering) or Knowledge (Science) d10+, Repair d10+

Then there is nothing preventing the TW from taking this edge.

3rd here it is as another page in the TLPG right after TW conversion.

Super Tech Creation Rules:

Creation Process
Choose a base item to upgrade using Super Science. Extra parts and cost are required to make it function at a higher level.
  • Preparation: The Super-Scientist needs parts costing 150% of the item’s initial (list) price. The procedure takes 3d12 hours for personal weapons or gear, or 1d6 weeks for larger installations, such as furniture, vehicles, siege gear, or building parts (such as SuperTech doors for the base armory).
Literally Super Tech
Since they are not “magical” super-tech weapons are not powered by PPE or ISP. Instead they are considered device built using abilities found in the Super Powers Companion. These points can be used to purchase powers, edges, and skill increases as if the item granted super powers with the “device” limitation. Maximum amount that can purchased is two levels in any single super power. Points cannot be used to increase damage dice for ranged or melee weapons.

Upgrades
    Seasoned: 6 additional points
    Legendary: 2 additional points
Installing Upgrade
Every 2 points added to a super-tech item costs 10,000 credits in parts and requires 3d12 hours (cumulative). Super-tech items are limited to a number of points based on the super-scientist's rank, shown in the chart above. As above, a failure wastes the time and materials, a success installs the upgrade, and a raise grants an additional point (provided the device can take another point). The Super-Scientists makes a Build roll (lowest of Knowledge (Electronics), Knowledge (Engineering), or Repair skill) but at −1 for every 2 points in the device. Generic (SPC, page 18) and Unique Modifiers (below) can be used to reduce/increase point costs.

Activation

• Invent
    Undead
    Super Sorcery
Cautionary SPC Powers
  • Armor Piercing
    Extra Actions
    Extra Limbs
Given the nature of the Savage Rifts setting an increase in AP is effectively an increase in damage. While it may make sense in some circumstances it should be closely reviewed.
Extra Action and Extra Limbs can create some truly broken builds. GMs are encouraged to limit the impact of such items to no more than 2 total extra actions from any of a variety of sources. Further any hero with an Arcane Background getting Extra Actions via SuperTech should be scrutinized closely. Game breaking consequences are plausible.

Allowed Modifiers
Contingent (-1/-2)
Device (-1/-2)
Integrated Weapon (+2*)
Limitation (-1/-2)
Power Source (-1/-2)
Projectile (+1)
Ranged Touch Attack (+2)
Requires Activation (-1)
Slow to Activate (-1)
Switchable (+2)
Weapon Trapping (+1)
    For personal weapons, PP Cost is 2 +1 for every 100 pounds after the first 100 (round up) but no weapon with a Mod greater than the character’s Size can be implanted. Multiply cost by 1.5 to get the implanted version cost.
    Super science items do not use power points. Nor are they required to use external power sources. In general, they are considered to have some regenerative energy source that is more or less unlimited. It can be used as trappings for a Technical Difficulty result.. Alternately, the Scientist making the item can use an external power source to give them just a bit more juice - at the expense of needing to be recharged or replaced.

Power Source modifiers can apply to a specific ability (a suit of armor with a gun in the wrist that works on a separate E-Clip) or the whole device. In the latter case, this allows more points in the device to give additional abilities.
    • E-Clips. Generally use e-clips with 20 shots. Each shot works for 1 use of an offensive power or 10 minutes for the use of a non-offensive ability. As long as the clip is not empty any associated super-tech functions will continue to work. When the device is unpowered the item will not work and its abilities are unavailable. This is a 2 point Limitation.

A Scientist may add one of the following weapon trappings. Note, all Trappings are exclusive, but multiple modes may be assigned different trappings.
    Exclusive Modifier - Weight Reduction.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

1) On whether this should be an edge: Only TWs can make TW items (whether they have an edge or not). Therefore if this is not an edge then we must make an IF with this ability.

2) On the born a hero issue: It's true taking this at Novice would make it legendary. Therefore if we wish to avoid this it must be an IF ability the same way it is for TWs.

3) On whether TWs should access the ability: The currently written requirements would allow a TW to take this edge. The only real way to prevent this is to lock this ability inside an IF.

Ipso facto, all objections raised so far say we need this to be an iconic Framework ability and not an edge.

We did not object this much to the Enchanted items edge, so it seems odd to me.

However, if you want an Iconic Framework I can rework it that way.

VV
Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I would just add a single line specifically exempting it from The Born a Hero setting rule.

It's a house rule there's no reason you can't have an exception written into it.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

RFT wrote:I would just add a single line specifically exempting it from The Born a Hero setting rule.

It's a house rule there's no reason you can't have an exception written into it.
Works, but only solves one of three objections.

VV
Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

1) I do not want it a stand alone framework.

2) Add wording it is not affected by born a hero.

3) Yes a TW should be able to access it.

Unrelated but are we locked in at such a high rank? Why not make it Seasoned in line with other edges?
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

RFT wrote:1) I do not want it a stand alone framework.

2) Add wording it is not affected by born a hero.

3) Yes a TW should be able to access it.

Unrelated but are we locked in at such a high rank? Why not make it Seasoned in line with other edges?
I suggested Veteran at one point as part of my “make it part of the Tinkerer Edge tree” proposal, and Tinkerer is Seasoned.

Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Taking Adept at character creation doesn’t automatically give you five free action powers. You selected the Edge, but still only gain the benefits based on your actual rank.
Works for me.

VV
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

I had a rant, I deleted it. I feel strongly that TWs should not be allowed to take it, and in fact I believe their AB specifically would not meet the prerequisite, but that's not up to me. We've made it hard for a TW to take this, and that will have to be enough. Honestly given they can make TW items that mundanes can use, I see 0 reasons they would want to.

Make it a Seasoned Edge, use the original chart and remove the Novice entry.
Tribe of One wrote:And regarding TW: They can’t make Super-Tech because they don’t actually have Gadgeteer and can’t take Tinkerer. That was discussed earlier and quite deliberate.
His belief is that a TW can take Gadgeteer as an edge.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

High Command wrote: His belief is that a TW can take Gadgeteer as an edge.
Yes, in the very extreme case of an HJ roll that let's you take any professional edge regardless of pre-requisites. Although it it subject to GM permission (don't think we've over turned one yet, it's a great way to fast track master of Magic or master psionics).

So, as it stands it's hard but not impossible and if a TW wants to invest in the necessary skills, cool.

So, no doubt a player will go that route but I am sure it won't be too game breaking - no more than TW itself.

VV
Signature
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Damn,

Edited tribe's post instead of replying.

Sorry dude!!

VV
Signature
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Tribe of One wrote:Enough with the Born a Hero silliness.

BaH affects which Edges and Powers you can select, NOT how they operate once selected. With Shapeshift, for example, it just lets you pick the Legendary version of the spell as a Novice.

It does not change how an Edge works once selected, though. Taking Adept at character creation doesn’t automatically give you five free action powers. You selected the Edge, but still only gain the benefits based on your actual rank.

Same with the Edge used to gain access to Super-Tech construction. BaH let’s you gain access early, it doesn’t change how it operates, which limits how much you can pack into a item based on your rank. Taking the Edge at different ranks makes no difference.
It’s not silliness; it’s how BaH works, and the shapeshift example you cite undercuts your argument. A player could decide to only shift into Veteran or Seasoned shapes if he wanted, or a GM might limit what’s appropriate for his game, but those are outside of RAW. BaH allows you to "ignore the Rank qualifications for Edges,” and the only examples of edges we have that go up in power as the characters do are powers like shapeshift. You get to ignore the Rank qualifications and jump right to Legendary. Same with warriors gift. Same with summon ally.

As regards Adept, SWD reads, “upon taking this Edge and at each new Rank, they may choose to change the trappings of one of the following powers to work only on themselves but be activated as a free action.” Per the Edge, the number of free action powers you get from Adept is determined not by your Rank when taking the Edge, but how many Ranks you have left after taking it. A Legendary character taking Adept, for example, would only get one free action power out of it.

If we want this Edge out there (and I have no problem with it), we should be cool with the idea that someone could take it at Novice level and use it to make Legendary items (absent some limiting language like what Rob proposed).
High Command wrote:I had a rant, I deleted it. I feel strongly that TWs should not be allowed to take it, and in fact I believe their AB specifically would not meet the prerequisite, but that's not up to me. We've made it hard for a TW to take this, and that will have to be enough. Honestly given they can make TW items that mundanes can use, I see 0 reasons they would want to.

Make it a Seasoned Edge, use the original chart and remove the Novice entry.
Does this mean we need to re-visit Tinkerer? Seems like a break in continuity for TWs to have the ability to create SuperTech but not to create Tinkerer items.

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Pursuit wrote:Does this mean we need to re-visit Tinkerer? Seems like a break in continuity for TWs to have the ability to create SuperTech but not to create Tinkerer items.
Can we not. PLEASE?

Oh I don't care, just remove the IF restrictions and call it done; Let TWs steal EVERYTHING. Why the heck not. Not like anyone else deserves their own toolsets.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

High Command wrote:
Pursuit wrote:Does this mean we need to re-visit Tinkerer? Seems like a break in continuity for TWs to have the ability to create SuperTech but not to create Tinkerer items.
Can we not. PLEASE?

Oh I don't care, just remove the IF restrictions and call it done; Let TWs steal EVERYTHING. Why the heck not. Not like anyone else deserves their own toolsets.
Hey, I don't want to re-visit that fight any more than anyone else. We're opening up a potential inconsistency is all I'm saying.

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Just edit it to look like this:
Tinkerer [Professional]
Requirements: Seasoned, Smarts d8+, Repair d8+, Knowledge (Engineering) d8+, and at least one other Scientific Knowledge skill at d8+
Like any master operator, you are skilled at modifying machines, but for you it goes beyond simple repair. You may make use of the Tinkering Modification rules.

[b]Tinkerer[/b]: Like any master operator, you are skilled at modifying machines, but for you it goes beyond simple repair. You may make use of the [url=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1929]Tinkering Modification rules[/url]. 
Original
Tinkerer [Iconic]
Requirements: MARS, Combat Cyborg, or Glitter Boy Pilot, Seasoned, Smarts d8+, Repair d8+, Knowledge (Engineering) d8+, and at least one other Scientific Knowledge skill at d8+
Like any master operator, you are skilled at modifying machines, but for you it goes beyond simple repair. You may make use of the Tinkering Modification rules.

[b]Tinkerer[/b]: Like any master operator, you are skilled at modifying machines, but for you it goes beyond simple repair. You may make use of the [url=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1929]Tinkering Modification rules[/url]. 
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

High Command wrote:Just edit it to look like this:
Tinkerer [Iconic]
Requirements: Seasoned, Smarts d8+, Repair d8+, Knowledge (Engineering) d8+, and at least one other Scientific Knowledge skill at d8+

Original
Tinkerer [Iconic]
Requirements: MARS, Combat Cyborg, or Glitter Boy Pilot, Seasoned, Smarts d8+, Repair d8+, Knowledge (Engineering) d8+, and at least one other Scientific Knowledge skill at d8+

If we go this route, we'll need to switch it to a Professional Edge.

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Edited Above to reflect this.
Tales of the 17th SOG

Return to “Archived Discussions”