100%
Not Approved
No votes

Total votes: 7

Pursuit
Game Master

Re: Supertech (literally Super)

Post by Pursuit »

High Command wrote:Edited Above to reflect this.
Cool. We should also likely conform the Super Scientist edge regarding number of scientific skills required: Repair, Engineering AND some third scientific skill. This got added in at the end of Tinkerer to more closely match what TWs had to have.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Venatus Vinco wrote:
High Command wrote: His belief is that a TW can take Gadgeteer as an edge.
Yes, in the very extreme case of an HJ roll that let's you take any professional edge regardless of pre-requisites. Although it it subject to GM permission (don't think we've over turned one yet, it's a great way to fast track master of Magic or master psionics).

So, as it stands it's hard but not impossible and if a TW wants to invest in the necessary skills, cool.

So, no doubt a player will go that route but I am sure it won't be too game breaking - no more than TW itself.

VV
Actually TWs have a varient of the gageteer edge so they already qualify.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I must be missing something here. Why the edge in the first place, why not more of a setting rule like TW conversion? Is the edge in place so not everyone can do it except for those that have the edge?

If only a few select OCCs can tinker and make super tech in PRifts then so be it, I’ll switch my vote to approved. If being able to modify gear and make super tech items is more pervasive and anyone with the right kind of skill set can do it, then you got to just make it a setting rule.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

I really don't understand why you're continuing to argue that BaH affects anything other than Edge or Power selection. Per Clint's ruling, Shape Change taken at Legendary is a different power than Shape Change taken at Novice. BaH let's you take that different, better power. The Super-Tech Edge is not a different Edge depending on when you take it. It gives you access to Super-Tech crafting, period. Your rank when crafting determines what you can do to an item.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:
Venatus Vinco wrote:
High Command wrote: His belief is that a TW can take Gadgeteer as an edge.
Yes, in the very extreme case of an HJ roll that let's you take any professional edge regardless of pre-requisites. Although it it subject to GM permission (don't think we've over turned one yet, it's a great way to fast track master of Magic or master psionics).

So, as it stands it's hard but not impossible and if a TW wants to invest in the necessary skills, cool.

So, no doubt a player will go that route but I am sure it won't be too game breaking - no more than TW itself.

VV
Actually TWs have a varient of the gageteer edge so they already qualify.
It's a variant of Gadgeteer, not Gadgeteer.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Tribe of One wrote:I really don't understand why you're continuing to argue that BaH affects anything other than Edge or Power selection. Per Clint's ruling, Shape Change taken at Legendary is a different power than Shape Change taken at Novice. BaH let's you take that different, better power. The Super-Tech Edge is not a different Edge depending on when you take it. It gives you access to Super-Tech crafting, period. Your rank when crafting determines what you can do to an item.
Sure you understand: I disagree with your interpretation of Born a Hero. Born a Hero says: "During character creation, heroes may ignore the Rank qualifications for Edges." That's the text we've got to work from.

Nothing in that sentence would suggest that a Novice taking this Edge can select the Edge at character creation but then be restricted by the Rank qualifications of the Edge thereafter. Just like with warrior's gift, which is a good example because it is not available to Novices outside of Born a Hero, you get to ignore Rank both for taking the Edge and for determining the effects of the Edge.

Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Pursuit wrote:
Tribe of One wrote:I really don't understand why you're continuing to argue that BaH affects anything other than Edge or Power selection. Per Clint's ruling, Shape Change taken at Legendary is a different power than Shape Change taken at Novice. BaH let's you take that different, better power. The Super-Tech Edge is not a different Edge depending on when you take it. It gives you access to Super-Tech crafting, period. Your rank when crafting determines what you can do to an item.
Sure you understand: I disagree with your interpretation of Born a Hero. Born a Hero says: "During character creation, heroes may ignore the Rank qualifications for Edges." That's the text we've got to work from.

Nothing in that sentence would suggest that a Novice taking this Edge can select the Edge at character creation but then be restricted by the Rank qualifications of the Edge thereafter. Just like with warrior's gift, which is a good example because it is not available to Novices outside of Born a Hero, you get to ignore Rank both for taking the Edge and for determining the effects of the Edge.
I don’t have time to look it up but you need to go read Clint's ruling on BaH and powers. Born a Hero as written only affects selection. Clint later interpreted that to mean that when you learn a power subject to born a hero you are learning the legendary version of that power. Some powers have different versions based on rank. Edges do not have different versions based on rank. The Super Tech edge specifically does not have a different effect based on rank. All the edge does is give you access to the Super Tech crafting rules. The Super Tech crafting rules, which are not subject to born a hero, use rank to determine what you can craft.
It’s as simple as that.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Tribe of One wrote:
Pursuit wrote:

I don’t have time to look it up but you need to go read Clint's ruling on BaH and powers. Born a Hero as written only affects selection. Clint later interpreted that to mean that when you learn a power subject to born a hero you are learning the legendary version of that power. Some powers have different versions based on rank. Edges do not have different versions based on rank. The Super Tech edge specifically does not have a different effect based on rank. All the edge does is give you access to the Super Tech crafting rules. The Super Tech crafting rules, which are not subject to born a hero, use rank to determine what you can craft.
It’s as simple as that.
I've read rulings by Clint on Born a Hero. If you've got one in particular in mind, I'm happy to take a look at it when you have time to look it up.

As far as simplicity goes: the Super Scientist Edge very explicitly does have different effects based on Rank; the fact that we've split the words into two places (Edge here and crafting rules there) is an administrative convenience. The meat of the Edge is in what it lets you do.

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Try this on for size.

GADGETEER
Techno-Wizards have this Edge embedded in their Iconic Framework but it functions slightly differently. See Techno-Wizards on page 42.

From page 67 TLPG
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

New Edge:
Super Scientist [Professional Edge]
Prerequisite: Novice, the Gadgeteer or Tinkerer Edge, Knowledge (Engineering) or Knowledge (Science) d10+, Repair d10+
These inventors can go well beyond the normal bounds of the technology of the day and create truly amazing, if somewhat quirky, devices. Your character may utilize the SuperTech rules to create permanent technological items that break the rules of normal technology. Upon taking this Edge and at each new Rank, Super Scientists gain 2pts that they can add to build a super tech device.

Changed the language to reflect the slow build of points in a device, and changed it to novice for it to make sense.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:New Edge:
Prerequisite: Novice, the Gadgeteer or Tinkerer Edge, Knowledge (Engineering) or Knowledge (Science) d10+, Repair d10+
These inventors can go well beyond the normal bounds of the technology of the day and create truly amazing, if somewhat quirky, devices. Your character may utilize the SuperTech rules to create permanent technological items that break the rules of normal technology. Upon taking this Edge and at each new Rank, Super Scientists gain 2pts that they can add to build a super tech device.

Changed the language to reflect the slow build of points in a device, and changed it to novice for it to make sense.
That doesn’t work, because you run into the weird penalty like with Adept where you get punished taking it at a later rank.

This whole thing is unnecessary, because the Edge and the build rules absolutely are separate things, and Born a Hero, which affects Edge selection, does not affect the Super Tech, or Enchanted item build rules any more than it does the TW build rules. Just read the words!

Same with Gadgeteer — the version TW have “functions slightly differently.” It’s not the core Edge.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Tribe pg. 67 cleary states TW have the edge.

I agree with you that the edge is unessesary. I’ll probably use the build rules without the edge requirment and tool it around to be on a cadence with TW mods.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:Tribe pg. 67 cleary states TW have the edge.

I agree with you that the edge is unessesary. I’ll probably use the build rules without the edge requirment and tool it around to be on a cadence with TW mods.
I didn't say the Edge is unnecessary. By "this thing is unnecessary" I meant this argument is unnecessary, because you and Tim are just wrong. :mrgreen:

These are alternate modification build rules, just like TW, Enchanted or Tinkerer. Like Enchanted and Tinkerer, a character needs an Edge to access them (rather than a particular IF as is the case with TW.) That's what's being voted on. If anyone doesn't like it, vote no. But that's how the rules work, if they're approved.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Tribe of One wrote:Just read the words!
I did. I even quoted them above. Your interpretation of the words is not the only possible one (and I would obviously argue not the correct one).

I would be fine with Pender's idea of it behaving like Adept. I would also be fine with a Novice who had dumped the requisite points to qualify for this edge via Born a Hero to use it to make powerful things. I might even be fine exempting it (so to speak) from Born a Hero so Novices can't make powerful things above a Novice level (though that last one makes me a bit twitchy and I would have to think about more).

I would even be fine just making it a setting rule (as Pender suggested) and coming up with an edge or two to boost characters' abilities to make the things.

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I am absolutely not wrong about the gageteer edge. You guys will have to think some more about how to cleverly barr the most awesome IF known to SR from picking this up. I don’t like Gragletooths or Altara, can we exlude them too?

I do not have a tinker or a gageteer so I really do not care if the powers that be want to force a player to pick up this edge to gain access to something cool. I guess so if that is how you guys really feel. It just makes me wonder what else you will force players to do in the future.

I will just leave you with this straight out of the core SW, Less is More.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Born a Hero lets you ignore rank requirements for Edges. And, based on a Clint ruling/expansion of that rule, it lets you learn the Legendary version of Powers at character creation.

Literally, that is all Born a Hero does. There is no language anywhere, in the book or in a Clint ruling, that says it does anything else. It has no effect on Adept. Clint has ruled specifically that it does not let you take the "Legendary version" of Power Points at character creation -- despite Born a Hero, it counts as your Novice selection of Power Points (PP taken via Hindrances is different, per his ruling).

Now, here's the proposed Edge:

New Edge:
Prerequisite: Veteran, the Gadgeteer or Tinkerer Edge, Knowledge (Engineering) or Knowledge (Science) d10+, Repair d10+
These inventors can go well beyond the normal bounds of the technology of the day and create truly amazing, if somewhat quirky, devices. Your character may utilize the SuperTech rules to create permanent technological items that break the rules of normal technology.

Now, nothing in that Edge, other than the prerequisite, is affected by rank. Read it again. Five times. Ten times. The words don't change. Rank is never mentioned in the text of that Edge. It doesn't provide any benefit that is not written there, in those 42 words. It's the exact same Edge, granting the exact same benefit, whether you take it as a Veteran, Legendary, or via Born a Hero at Novice. In all cases, it just lets you access the SuperTech rules to create items. The End.

Separately, we are voting on the SuperTech build rules. Those are just like the TW creation rules. There is literally nothing, in the TLPG or any Clint ruling I have ever seen, that says Born a Hero affects the TW creation rules. It follows that there is nothing, in the rules or past Clint rulings, to support the idea that Born a Hero would magically affect the SuperTech creation rules.

Ergo, Born a Hero doesn't do anything beyond let you take Super Scientist at character creation.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Tribe of One wrote:Born a Hero lets you ignore rank requirements for Edges. And, based on a Clint ruling/expansion of that rule, it lets you learn the Legendary version of Powers at character creation.

Literally, that is all Born a Hero does. There is no language anywhere, in the book or in a Clint ruling, that says it does anything else. It has no effect on Adept. Clint has ruled specifically that it does not let you take the "Legendary version" of Power Points at character creation -- despite Born a Hero, it counts as your Novice selection of Power Points (PP taken via Hindrances is different, per his ruling).

New Edge:
Prerequisite: Veteran, the Gadgeteer or Tinkerer Edge, Knowledge (Engineering) or Knowledge (Science) d10+, Repair d10+
These inventors can go well beyond the normal bounds of the technology of the day and create truly amazing, if somewhat quirky, devices. Your character may utilize the SuperTech rules to create permanent technological items that break the rules of normal technology.

Now, nothing in that Edge, other than the prerequisite, is affected by rank. Read it again. Five times. Ten times. The words don't change. Rank is never mentioned in the text of that Edge. It doesn't provide any benefit that is not written there, in those 42 words. It's the exact same Edge, granting the exact same benefit, whether you take it as a Veteran, Legendary, or via Born a Hero at Novice. In all cases, it just lets you access the SuperTech rules to create items. The End.

Separately, we are voting on the SuperTech build rules. Those are just like the TW creation rules. There is literally nothing, in the TLPG or any Clint ruling I have ever seen, that says Born a Hero affects the TW creation rules. It follows that there is nothing, in the rules or past Clint rulings, to support the idea that Born a Hero would magically affect the SuperTech creation rules.

Ergo, Born a Hero doesn't do anything beyond let you take Super Scientist at character creation.
And I don't agree that putting the rules in a different spot separates them from the Edge, as I have previously stated. I think we are rapidly approaching the point (or likely have blown right past it) where we ought to just agree to disagree, or at least stop saying the same things at each other with different words.

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Tribe of One wrote:Born a Hero lets you ignore rank requirements for Edges. And, based on a Clint ruling/expansion of that rule, it lets you learn the Legendary version of Powers at character creation.

New Edge:

Ummm, already voted to approve. You are preaching to the choir man. I cannot wait to make a TW super scientist.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

By the bye, it still needs to be updated re: the skill requirements so as to fall in line with Tinkerer and the TW build rules. Changes in red.

New Edge:
Prerequisite: Novice, Gadgeteer or Tinkerer, Knowledge (Engineering) and at least one other scientific Knowledge d10+, Repair d10+
These inventors can go well beyond the normal bounds of the technology of the day and create truly amazing, if somewhat quirky, devices. Your character may utilize the SuperTech rules to create permanent technological items that break the rules of normal technology. Even if taken at character creation, this Edge does not allow Novice characters to create SuperTech items above their Rank.

I dropped "Veteran" as a requirement, based on several folks asking why it was set at such a high Rank. I also added a clarifying statement for those who read Born a Hero the correct way ( ;)) giving some guidance on how Novices can use the Edge.

If we are going in this direction, we should probably also adjust Tinkerer down from Seasoned to Novice, like any other Professional Edge, and limit Novice Tinkerers to Minor upgrades. As loathe as I am to re-open Tinkerer, I don't want to have 4 different build rules on the site that don't track each other at least generally.

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Yay, open it up for everyone. TWs can do anything! Woo!
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

High Command wrote:Yay, open it up for everyone. TWs can do anything! Woo!
Easy enough to handle, I guess. Just kill any TW in your group that tries.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Tribe of One wrote:Easy enough to handle, I guess. Just kill any TW in your group that tries.
See, a man who finds solutions. Can we get this done already?
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

I never objected to the build rules. I think they're fine. I objected to the Veteran rank for the edge. I like Pursuit's formulation, bringing it in line with other of the crafting house rules.

And I'm not sure what the hate is for the TW. Looking at it from an in-world perspective, is there something in TW that somehow interferes/prevents you from making supertech? It doesn't make sense. This is something anyone should be able to do. It doesn't require any special magic. Just knowledge and skill.

So I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to vote. I like the core (the build rules). I just don't like the access (the edge as currently written, and the hate on TWs).
GM Notes
101st GM Bennies: 8/8
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Rising Stars GM Bennies 8/8
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

High Command wrote:
Tribe of One wrote:Easy enough to handle, I guess. Just kill any TW in your group that tries.
See, a man who finds solutions. Can we get this done already?
I'm ready to vote on the edge as revised in my post above; I'll give that an "aye" vote right now.

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

KahlessNestor wrote:And I'm not sure what the hate is for the TW. Looking at it from an in-world perspective, is there something in TW that somehow interferes/prevents you from making supertech? It doesn't make sense. This is something anyone should be able to do. It doesn't require any special magic. Just knowledge and skill.
I'll copy from an earlier post in this thread:
1. On TW Access. TWs literally have the best item creation rules in existence - more slots, more options, can include powers from core and TLPG, can use Core Trappings. They don't have a need for this, nor should they waste their time with it. Can they repair Tech? Absolutely! Could they create mundane tech? All day long. But the idea of pushing tech to the next level without magic literally should not occur. If it does, they need to play another IF because that is antithetical to BEING a TW. Play an Operator or a Psi-Tech or Weird Scientist or whatever. TWs have a very well defined lane that is literally better than everything else. It makes no sense for them to waste time and edges on SuperTech. This is for the non-magic using folks.

I'm good with the edits to both Tinkerer and the Super Scientist Edge that bring them down to Novice. To end this I will allow what I believe the biggest travesty to occur: allowing TW's access. It's beyond redundant for them to consider taking it, therefore I see no reason to include them, but at this point can we just be done. Also, every other item construction rules set includes tiered access. That has nothing to do with Born a Hero. You get access at the tier you are when you take the edge - just like Enchanted Items. Just like the TW Rules. The creation rules are separate from the edge, but you can't USE them without it (except for Signature items). Just like Tribe said.

That said it's Easy to fix. We add a line in the creation rules (just before the table that shows what you can do at what rank): As with all rules of these type, you may only create items at your rank or below. Easy, peasy, done.
Tales of the 17th SOG
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

A fresh version of the changes for ease of update to the original post

Code: Select all

Proposed Change to Tinkerer
[b][size=150]Tinkerer[/size][/b] [Professional]
[u]Requirements[/u]: Novice, Smarts d8+, Repair d8+, Knowledge (Engineering) d8+, and at least one other Scientific Knowledge skill at d8+
Like any master operator, you are skilled at modifying machines, but for you it goes beyond simple repair. You may make use of the [url=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1929]Tinkering Modification rules[/url]. 

For the Character Sheet
[code][b]Tinkerer[/b]: Like any master operator, you are skilled at modifying machines, but for you it goes beyond simple repair. You may make use of the [url=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1929]Tinkering Modification rules[/url]. 
New Edge:
Prerequisite: Seasoned, Gadgeteer or Tinkerer, Knowledge (Engineering) and at least one other scientific Knowledge d10+, Repair d10+

[b]Super Scientist[/b]: The limits of technology are simply problems to overcome for you. You may make use of the [url=insert]SuperTech construction rules[/url]. 
New Creation Rules:
Item Creation: Experimental Super Technology Items
Rifts, by Sean Patrick Fannon’s definition, is an over the top kitchen sink setting. As a result we have multiple worlds and genres mashed together to create a setting where anything is possible. In addition to elements of magic and fantasy we also have science fiction - robots, power armor, laser weapons and more. Thus, occasionally, advanced alien races, Coalition Researchers, Triax facilities, or just a genius kid in her parents basement uncover the ability to create technological items that go well beyond the limit of current standards.

These rules provide a process for creating super advanced technology items. They are completely based in science and stand apart from Techno-Wizardry or Enchanted item construction rules. Most notably, these items do not make use of I.S.P. or P.P.E. and are not considered in anyway “arcane”. They also stand apart from the Tinkerer modification rules because all items modified by this must be scratch built expressly for this purpose - even if they are based on existing technology. Super Scientists can build these amazing items.
  • Build Roll: The Super-Scientist makes a roll using the lower of Knowledge (Science), Knowledge (Engineering), or the Repair skill; this is the standard roll for Super-tech Item design and is called a Build roll. A Weird Scientist or Psionic Operator may substitute their Arcane skill for either of the two Knowledge skills. On a failure, the time and parts are wasted, but on a success the Super-tech item is complete. If the Scientist gets a raise, he may add one Minor Upgrade (see below).
All items made with Super-Tech are subject to Technical Difficulties, have their weight reduced by 25% and are -2 to be repaired

Creation Process
Choose a base item to upgrade using Super Science. Extra parts and cost are required to make it function at a higher level.
  • Preparation: The Super-Scientist needs parts costing 150% of the item’s initial (list) price. The procedure takes 3d12 hours for personal weapons or gear, or 1d6 weeks for larger installations, such as furniture, vehicles, siege gear, or building parts (such as SuperTech doors for the base armory).
Literally Super Tech
Since they are not “magical” super-tech weapons are not powered by PPE or ISP. Instead they are considered device built using abilities found in the Super Powers Companion. These points can be used to purchase powers, edges, and skill increases as if the item granted super powers with the “device” limitation. Maximum amount that can purchased is two levels in any single super power. Points cannot be used to increase damage dice for ranged or melee weapons. As with all rules of these type, you may only create items at your rank or below.

Upgrades
  • Novice: 2 points
    Seasoned: 4 points
    Veteran: 6 points
    Heroic: 8 points
    Legendary: 10 points
Installing Upgrade
Every 2 points added to a super-tech item costs 10,000 credits in parts and requires 3d12 hours (cumulative). Super-tech items are limited to a number of points based on the super-scientist's rank, shown in the chart above. As above, a failure wastes the time and materials, a success installs the upgrade, and a raise grants an additional point (provided the device can take another point). The Super-Scientists makes a Build roll (lowest of Knowledge (Electronics), Knowledge (Engineering), or Repair skill) but at −1 for each rank of the device. Generic (SPC, page 18) and Unique Modifiers (below) can be used to reduce/increase point costs.

Activation
Devices linked to a skill (like Fighting or Shooting) activate with that skill. Those that normally activate with Smarts or Spirit will use Knowledge (Electronics) instead. Passive powers, like edges or armor will function as long as a device is powered up.

Banned SPC Powers and Modifications List
  • Invent
    Undead
    Stackable (Option for Attack, Melee)
    Super Sorcery
Cautionary SPC Powers
  • Armor Piercing
    Extra Actions
    Extra Limbs
Given the nature of the Savage Rifts setting an increase in AP is effectively an increase in damage. While it may make sense in some circumstances it should be closely reviewed.
Extra Action and Extra Limbs can create some truly broken builds. GMs are encouraged to limit the impact of such items to no more than 2 total extra actions from any of a variety of sources. Further any hero with an Arcane Background getting Extra Actions via SuperTech should be scrutinized closely. Game breaking consequences are plausible.

Allowed Modifiers
Contingent (-1/-2)
Device (-1/-2)
Integrated Weapon (+2*)
Limitation (-1/-2)
Power Source (-1/-2)
Projectile (+1)
Ranged Touch Attack (+2)
Requires Activation (-1)
Slow to Activate (-1)
Switchable (+2)
Weapon Trapping (+1)
  • Exclusive Modifier - Implanted Weapons.
    For personal weapons, PP Cost is 2 +1 for every 100 pounds after the first 100 (round up) but no weapon with a Mod greater than the character’s Size can be implanted. Multiply cost by 1.5 to get the implanted version cost.
    Exclusive Modifier - Power Sources.
    Super science items do not use power points. Nor are they required to use external power sources. In general, they are considered to have some regenerative energy source that is more or less unlimited. It can be used as trappings for a Technical Difficulty result.. Alternately, the Scientist making the item can use an external power source to give them just a bit more juice - at the expense of needing to be recharged or replaced.

Power Source modifiers can apply to a specific ability (a suit of armor with a gun in the wrist that works on a separate E-Clip) or the whole device. In the latter case, this allows more points in the device to give additional abilities.
    • E-Clips. Generally use e-clips with 20 shots. Each shot works for 1 use of an offensive power or 10 minutes for the use of a non-offensive ability. As long as the clip is not empty any associated super-tech functions will continue to work. When the device is unpowered the item will not work and its abilities are unavailable. This is a 2 point Limitation.

E-Canisters/Batteries. Some items (especially armor) have a battery of some sort with a listed duration (e.g. armored exoskeleton like the NG Gladius). The battery is restricted to 96 hours of continuous use before needing to be recharged (taking 2 hours at any power source). When the battery is drained any associated super-tech will not work either. This is a 1 point Limitation.
    Exclusive Modifier - Weapon Trappings
    A Scientist may add one of the following weapon trappings. Note, all Trappings are exclusive, but multiple modes may be assigned different trappings.
    • 1 PP: Vibro-Blades - Increases the added die of the base melee weapon by one step and adds AP 4 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Vibro-Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping. This cannot be applied to the Attack, Melee power. Use that power's built in modifiers instead.
    • 2 PP: Chain Weapons - Doubles the added die of the base melee weapon (so Str+d8 becomes Str+2d8) and adds AP 2 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Chain Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping. This cannot be applied to the Attack, Melee power. Use that power's built in modifiers instead.
    • 1 PP: Explosive Weapons - Explosive Weapons such as Rockets and Grenades do Mega-Damage.
    • 1 or 2 PP: BigBore Munitions - The ultimate in riot control munitions, these weapons do the damage and effectslisted here. Revolver style rounds are 1 PP, Shotgun rounds are 2 PP. This can be combined with other effects, except damage.
    • 1 PP: Ion Weapons - Personal ion guns follow the same rules as shotguns in Savage Worlds. They grant +2 Shooting due to the spread effect of the ion stream, but they lose one die of damage at Medium Range, and two dice at Long. They must do 3 dice of damage at short range.
    • 0 PP: Laser Weapons - In the futuristic setting of Rifts, lasers are the standard by which all other weapons are measured. This modifies the weapon by 0 points as it is the assumed damage type for ranged weapons.
    • 1 PP: Particle beam - Particle beam weapons are based on a variant form of lasers. They have considerably shorter ranges, but pack a heavier punch. Reduce range by a least a third, but increase damage by one die type.
    • 1 or 2 PP: Plasma Weapons - Firing what amounts to a tiny comet of superheated gas, plasma weapons are heavy, bulky affairs, causing them all to have a minimum strength rating (d8 to d12, depending on the item). Some also have the Snapfire quality (−2 if the firer moves on the same round), though not all (the second PP rating applies to those plasma weapons without Snapfire penalties). They have some distinct advantages, though.
      First, plasma hits a target all-at-once, engulfing the target and affecting the least-armored area on the body. This means anyone not in fully sealed armor is in serious trouble. Second, plasma tends to ignite targets (usually 1 in 6 chance), doing 1d10 continuous damage until it’s doused. Finally, plasma weapons all do Mega Damage.
    Exclusive Modifier - Weight Reduction.
    Reduce the base item's weight by 50% for 1 PP, 75% for 2 PP. 1 PP reduces Minimum Strength by one die step, and 2 PP reduces them by two die steps. If the Minimum Strength is reduced to d4, it is eliminated.
F.A.Q.
  • Q. How does Born a Hero interface with these rules? Can I create a Legendary item at Novice, like I can cast the Legendary version of Summon Ally?
    A. No. Born a Hero does not affect these rules, much like they do not affect Techno-wizard and Enchanting creation rules. When you take the edge granting access has no bearing on your character's rank, which is referred to in these rules.
[/code]
Tinkerer [Professional]
Requirements: Novice, Smarts d8+, Repair d8+, Knowledge (Engineering) d8+, and at least one other Scientific Knowledge skill at d8+
Like any master operator, you are skilled at modifying machines, but for you it goes beyond simple repair. You may make use of the Tinkering Modification rules.

For the Character Sheet

[b]Tinkerer[/b]: Like any master operator, you are skilled at modifying machines, but for you it goes beyond simple repair. You may make use of the [url=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1929]Tinkering Modification rules[/url]. 
New Edge:
Prerequisite: Seasoned, Gadgeteer or Tinkerer, Knowledge (Engineering) and at least one other scientific Knowledge d10+, Repair d10+

[b]Super Scientist[/b]: The limits of technology are simply problems to overcome for you. You may make use of the [url=insert]SuperTech construction rules[/url]. 
New Creation Rules:
Rifts, by Sean Patrick Fannon’s definition, is an over the top kitchen sink setting. As a result we have multiple worlds and genres mashed together to create a setting where anything is possible. In addition to elements of magic and fantasy we also have science fiction - robots, power armor, laser weapons and more. Thus, occasionally, advanced alien races, Coalition Researchers, Triax facilities, or just a genius kid in her parents basement uncover the ability to create technological items that go well beyond the limit of current standards.

These rules provide a process for creating super advanced technology items. They are completely based in science and stand apart from Techno-Wizardry or Enchanted item construction rules. Most notably, these items do not make use of I.S.P. or P.P.E. and are not considered in anyway “arcane”. They also stand apart from the Tinkerer modification rules because all items modified by this must be scratch built expressly for this purpose - even if they are based on existing technology. Super Scientists can build these amazing items.
  • Build Roll: The Super-Scientist makes a roll using the lower of Knowledge (Science), Knowledge (Engineering), or the Repair skill; this is the standard roll for Super-tech Item design and is called a Build roll. A Weird Scientist or Psionic Operator may substitute their Arcane skill for either of the two Knowledge skills. On a failure, the time and parts are wasted, but on a success the Super-tech item is complete. If the Scientist gets a raise, he may add one Minor Upgrade (see below).
All items made with Super-Tech are subject to Technical Difficulties, have their weight reduced by 25% and are -2 to be repaired

Creation Process
Choose a base item to upgrade using Super Science. Extra parts and cost are required to make it function at a higher level.
  • Preparation: The Super-Scientist needs parts costing 150% of the item’s initial (list) price. The procedure takes 3d12 hours for personal weapons or gear, or 1d6 weeks for larger installations, such as furniture, vehicles, siege gear, or building parts (such as SuperTech doors for the base armory).
Literally Super Tech
Since they are not “magical” super-tech weapons are not powered by PPE or ISP. Instead they are considered device built using abilities found in the Super Powers Companion. These points can be used to purchase powers, edges, and skill increases as if the item granted super powers with the “device” limitation. Maximum amount that can purchased is two levels in any single super power. Points cannot be used to increase damage dice for ranged or melee weapons. As with all rules of these type, you may only create items at your rank or below.

Upgrades
Installing Upgrade
Every 2 points added to a super-tech item costs 10,000 credits in parts and requires 3d12 hours (cumulative). Super-tech items are limited to a number of points based on the super-scientist's rank, shown in the chart above. As above, a failure wastes the time and materials, a success installs the upgrade, and a raise grants an additional point (provided the device can take another point). The Super-Scientists makes a Build roll (lowest of Knowledge (Electronics), Knowledge (Engineering), or Repair skill) but at −1 for each rank of the device. Generic (SPC, page 18) and Unique Modifiers (below) can be used to reduce/increase point costs.

Activation
Devices linked to a skill (like Fighting or Shooting) activate with that skill. Those that normally activate with Smarts or Spirit will use Knowledge (Electronics) instead. Passive powers, like edges or armor will function as long as a device is powered up.

• Invent
    Undead
    Super Sorcery
Cautionary SPC Powers
  • Armor Piercing
    Extra Actions
    Extra Limbs
Given the nature of the Savage Rifts setting an increase in AP is effectively an increase in damage. While it may make sense in some circumstances it should be closely reviewed.
Extra Action and Extra Limbs can create some truly broken builds. GMs are encouraged to limit the impact of such items to no more than 2 total extra actions from any of a variety of sources. Further any hero with an Arcane Background getting Extra Actions via SuperTech should be scrutinized closely. Game breaking consequences are plausible.

Allowed Modifiers
Contingent (-1/-2)
Device (-1/-2)
Integrated Weapon (+2*)
Limitation (-1/-2)
Power Source (-1/-2)
Projectile (+1)
Ranged Touch Attack (+2)
Requires Activation (-1)
Slow to Activate (-1)
Switchable (+2)
Weapon Trapping (+1)
    For personal weapons, PP Cost is 2 +1 for every 100 pounds after the first 100 (round up) but no weapon with a Mod greater than the character’s Size can be implanted. Multiply cost by 1.5 to get the implanted version cost.
    Super science items do not use power points. Nor are they required to use external power sources. In general, they are considered to have some regenerative energy source that is more or less unlimited. It can be used as trappings for a Technical Difficulty result.. Alternately, the Scientist making the item can use an external power source to give them just a bit more juice - at the expense of needing to be recharged or replaced.

Power Source modifiers can apply to a specific ability (a suit of armor with a gun in the wrist that works on a separate E-Clip) or the whole device. In the latter case, this allows more points in the device to give additional abilities.
    • E-Clips. Generally use e-clips with 20 shots. Each shot works for 1 use of an offensive power or 10 minutes for the use of a non-offensive ability. As long as the clip is not empty any associated super-tech functions will continue to work. When the device is unpowered the item will not work and its abilities are unavailable. This is a 2 point Limitation.

E-Canisters/Batteries. Some items (especially armor) have a battery of some sort with a listed duration (e.g. armored exoskeleton like the NG Gladius). The battery is restricted to 96 hours of continuous use before needing to be recharged (taking 2 hours at any power source). When the battery is drained any associated super-tech will not work either. This is a 1 point Limitation.
    A Scientist may add one of the following weapon trappings. Note, all Trappings are exclusive, but multiple modes may be assigned different trappings.
    • 1 PP: Vibro-Blades - Increases the added die of the base melee weapon by one step and adds AP 4 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Vibro-Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping. This cannot be applied to the Attack, Melee power. Use that power's built in modifiers instead.
    • 2 PP: Chain Weapons - Doubles the added die of the base melee weapon (so Str+d8 becomes Str+2d8) and adds AP 2 and the Mega-Damage quality. If the base item is a Chain Weapon from TLPG, then it is considered to have this trapping. This cannot be applied to the Attack, Melee power. Use that power's built in modifiers instead.
    • 1 PP: Explosive Weapons - Explosive Weapons such as Rockets and Grenades do Mega-Damage.
    • 1 or 2 PP: BigBore Munitions - The ultimate in riot control munitions, these weapons do the damage and effectslisted here. Revolver style rounds are 1 PP, Shotgun rounds are 2 PP. This can be combined with other effects, except damage.
    • 1 PP: Ion Weapons - Personal ion guns follow the same rules as shotguns in Savage Worlds. They grant +2 Shooting due to the spread effect of the ion stream, but they lose one die of damage at Medium Range, and two dice at Long. They must do 3 dice of damage at short range.
    • 0 PP: Laser Weapons - In the futuristic setting of Rifts, lasers are the standard by which all other weapons are measured. This modifies the weapon by 0 points as it is the assumed damage type for ranged weapons.
    • 1 PP: Particle beam - Particle beam weapons are based on a variant form of lasers. They have considerably shorter ranges, but pack a heavier punch. Reduce range by a least a third, but increase damage by one die type.
    • 1 or 2 PP: Plasma Weapons - Firing what amounts to a tiny comet of superheated gas, plasma weapons are heavy, bulky affairs, causing them all to have a minimum strength rating (d8 to d12, depending on the item). Some also have the Snapfire quality (−2 if the firer moves on the same round), though not all (the second PP rating applies to those plasma weapons without Snapfire penalties). They have some distinct advantages, though.
      First, plasma hits a target all-at-once, engulfing the target and affecting the least-armored area on the body. This means anyone not in fully sealed armor is in serious trouble. Second, plasma tends to ignite targets (usually 1 in 6 chance), doing 1d10 continuous damage until it’s doused. Finally, plasma weapons all do Mega Damage.
    Reduce the base item's weight by 50% for 1 PP, 75% for 2 PP. 1 PP reduces Minimum Strength by one die step, and 2 PP reduces them by two die steps. If the Minimum Strength is reduced to d4, it is eliminated.
F.A.Q.
  • Q. How does Born a Hero interface with these rules? Can I create a Legendary item at Novice, like I can cast the Legendary version of Summon Ally?
    A. No. Born a Hero does not affect these rules, much like they do not affect Techno-wizard and Enchanting creation rules. When you take the edge granting access has no bearing on your character's rank, which is referred to in these rules.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

High Command wrote:
A fresh version of the changes for ease of update to the original post

[b][size=150]Tinkerer[/size][/b] [Professional]
[u]Requirements[/u]: Novice, Smarts d8+, Repair d8+, Knowledge (Engineering) d8+, and at least one other Scientific Knowledge skill at d8+
Like any master operator, you are skilled at modifying machines, but for you it goes beyond simple repair. You may make use of the [url=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1929]Tinkering Modification rules[/url]. 

For the Character Sheet
[code][b]Tinkerer[/b]: Like any master operator, you are skilled at modifying machines, but for you it goes beyond simple repair. You may make use of the [url=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1929]Tinkering Modification rules[/url]. 
New Edge:
Prerequisite: Novice, Gadgeteer or Tinkerer, Knowledge (Engineering) and at least one other scientific Knowledge d10+, Repair d10+

New Creation Rules:

Creation Process
Literally Super Tech

Upgrades
Installing Upgrade

Activation

• Invent
    Undead
    Super Sorcery
Cautionary SPC Powers
  • Armor Piercing
    Extra Actions
    Extra Limbs

Allowed Modifiers
Contingent (-1/-2)
Device (-1/-2)
Integrated Weapon (+2*)
Limitation (-1/-2)
Power Source (-1/-2)
Projectile (+1)
Ranged Touch Attack (+2)
Requires Activation (-1)
Slow to Activate (-1)
Switchable (+2)
Weapon Trapping (+1)

[/code]
Tinkerer [Professional]
Requirements: Novice, Smarts d8+, Repair d8+, Knowledge (Engineering) d8+, and at least one other Scientific Knowledge skill at d8+
Like any master operator, you are skilled at modifying machines, but for you it goes beyond simple repair. You may make use of the Tinkering Modification rules.

For the Character Sheet

[b]Tinkerer[/b]: Like any master operator, you are skilled at modifying machines, but for you it goes beyond simple repair. You may make use of the [url=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1929]Tinkering Modification rules[/url]. 
New Edge:

New Creation Rules:

Creation Process
Literally Super Tech

Upgrades
Installing Upgrade

Activation

• Invent
    Undead
    Super Sorcery
Cautionary SPC Powers
  • Armor Piercing
    Extra Actions
    Extra Limbs

Allowed Modifiers
Contingent (-1/-2)
Device (-1/-2)
Integrated Weapon (+2*)
Limitation (-1/-2)
Power Source (-1/-2)
Projectile (+1)
Ranged Touch Attack (+2)
Requires Activation (-1)
Slow to Activate (-1)
Switchable (+2)
Weapon Trapping (+1)

I'm down. I would like the clarifying statement about making things of your rank or below to include something to the effect of "(regardless of whether your character took the Edge at character creation under the "Born a Hero" setting rule)" because (1) not everyone agrees with the way you and Tribe read the Born a Hero rule and (2) (more importantly) it avoids potential confusion.

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Its in the rules. The edge doesn't need them. Also, don't just quote the whole thing, silly :P

Oh yeah, Drink!
Literally Super Tech
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

High Command wrote:Its in the rules. The edge doesn't need them. Also, don't just quote the whole thing, silly :P

Oh yeah, Drink!
Literally Super Tech
I disagree, as I have said (repeatedly) thus far; I think the build rules are inseparable from the Edge.

Regardless of your interpretation, what's the harm in adding to it so it reads: "As with all rules of these type, you may only create items at your rank or below (regardless of whether your character took the Super Scientist Edge at character creation under the "Born a Hero" setting rule)"? That gets me to "yes," and it doesn't change anything substantive (from your viewpoint).

Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

If the rules need to spell it out twice, let's just do it. It feels a bit like saying: "You may only turn right. That means you cannot turn left, or turn invisible", but if it gets it done, let's just be done. The actual construction rules seem fine.

I'd prefer to keep the rank requirement at Veteran. This isn't Joe-Bob sticking some nitrous on his lawnmower -- that's what Tinkerer is for. This is Albert Einstein and Tony Stark, or some omnipotent alien AI creating tech a couple of hundred parsecs past the bleeding edge. Triax and Northern Gun have maybe a half dozen people with this Edge between them. A novice might slip in via Born a Hero because he was an intern or something, but the majority of Super Scientists are gonna have to put some work in before they can comprehend this stuff.

For the same reason, I think TW's should be banned, because this is the bleeding edge of rational science. TWs, by their very nature, have embraced the irrational. They solve problems with magic, and past a certain point, their brains just aren't wired to think like a Super Scientist anymore.

That said, I don't want the squabbling over TW getting everyone else's toys to derail the whole thing. My vote remains approved, including with the addition of redundant language regarding Born a Hero.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

This Post Updated with this:

F.A.Q.
VV: probably best to create a new thread at this point, with whatever version you decide on.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Tribe of One wrote:If the rules need to spell it out twice, let's just do it. It feels a bit like saying: "You may only turn right. That means you cannot turn left, or turn invisible", but if it gets it done, let's just be done. The actual construction rules seem fine.

I'd prefer to keep the rank requirement at Veteran. This isn't Joe-Bob sticking some nitrous on his lawnmower -- that's what Tinkerer is for. This is Albert Einstein and Tony Stark, or some omnipotent alien AI creating tech a couple of hundred parsecs past the bleeding edge. Triax and Northern Gun have maybe a half dozen people with this Edge between them. A novice might slip in via Born a Hero because he was an intern or something, but the majority of Super Scientists are gonna have to put some work in before they can comprehend this stuff.

For the same reason, I think TW's should be banned, because this is the bleeding edge of rational science. TWs, by their very nature, have embraced the irrational. They solve problems with magic, and past a certain point, their brains just aren't wired to think like a Super Scientist anymore.

That said, I don't want the squabbling over TW getting everyone else's toys to derail the whole thing. My vote remains approved, including with the addition of redundant language regarding Born a Hero.
I've stayed out of this debate because, lord have mercy, I barely have time for my characters and my game. That said, I think Tribe has summed up how I think on access to this set of rules quite well. I imagine the knowledge and skillset it takes to know how a magically enchanted quartz will act as a focus for a TW ray gun is going to be complicated enough. For a TW to be able to know both how to slap together an arcane machine AND ultra-high tech seems excessive. I'd vote to leave SuperTech fabrications the province of operators and rogue scholars. Only point I'd offer is to make this available at Seasoned instead of Veteran. Otherwise, I think Tribe has it right here.

<throws firebomb and runs away, cackling>
Beware the mesmerizing eyes of the snake!
12th AAT Bennies
12th AAT GM Bennies: 2/8
Wild Card Bennies:
Devak: 0/2
Varig: 0/2
Cole: 0/2
Prestige Unlimited Bennies
Prestige Unlimited GM Bennies: 5/5
Wild Card Bennies:
William Tack: 3
Kraig: 3
Vedder: 3
Shade: 3
Fletch: 3
Findriel: 0
Niels: 4
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

My edited suggestion includes Super Scientist at Seasoned - like the Professional Edges in TLPG. But in the end, it's VV's choice as it his proposal
Tales of the 17th SOG
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

There has been significant discussion on this.

I think I will put High Command's revisions in a new thread for re-voting.

Before I do that, are there any lingering objections?

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Venatus Vinco wrote:There has been significant discussion on this.

I think I will put High Command's revisions in a new thread for re-voting.

Before I do that, are there any lingering objections?

VV
Do we have any more objections to THIS

======================================================================================

Tinkerer [Professional]

For the Character Sheet

New Edge:

New Creation Rules:

Creation Process
Literally Super Tech

Upgrades
Installing Upgrade
Every point added to a super-tech item costs 5,000 credits in parts and requires 2d8+1 hours (cumulative). Super-tech items are limited to a number of points based on the super-scientist's rank, shown in the chart above. As above, a failure wastes the time and materials, a success installs the upgrade, and a raise grants an additional point (provided the device can take another point). The Super-Scientists makes a Build roll (lowest of Knowledge (Electronics), Knowledge (Engineering), or Repair skill) but at −1 for each rank of the device. Generic (SPC, page 18) and Unique Modifiers (below) can be used to reduce/increase point costs.

Activation

• Invent
    Undead
    Super Sorcery
Cautionary SPC Powers
  • Armor Piercing
    Extra Actions
    Extra Limbs

Allowed Modifiers
Contingent (-1/-2)
Device (-1/-2)
Integrated Weapon (+2*)
Limitation (-1/-2)
Power Source (-1/-2)
Projectile (+1)
Ranged Touch Attack (+2)
Requires Activation (-1)
Slow to Activate (-1)
Switchable (+2)
Weapon Trapping (+1)

F.A.Q.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

I’m good with this. We’ll need to update the Tinkering build rules for Novices (Minor upgrades only), but that’s it.

Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

I would like to propose one specific Edit:

Original:
"Every 2 points added to a super-tech item costs 10,000 credits in parts and requires 3d12 hours (cumulative)."

Becomes:
"Every point added to a super-tech item costs 5,000 credits in parts and requires 2d8+1 hours (cumulative)."

It keeps the per-point cost identical and the average time almost precisely the same (9.25 hours currently, 10 hours in my version), but allows for odd-valued modifications without essentially requiring the ST to stick on an additional point's worth of enhancements.

Suggestions that I hit "Preview" instead of "Submit" when trying to post this are scurrilous slander and will not be entertained.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Freemage wrote:I would like to propose one specific Edit
So Changed
Freemage wrote:Suggestions that I hit "Preview" instead of "Submit" when trying to post this are scurrilous slander and will not be entertained.
LMAO
Pursuit wrote:I’m good with this. We’ll need to update the Tinkering build rules for Novices (Minor upgrades only), but that’s it.
Meh, I'm good with leaving it as is - but I'm also not opposed either way.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

As GMs are we free to not use any house rules presented or our we forced into using anything approved?
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:As GMs are we free to not use any house rules presented or our we forced into using anything approved?

Matthew limited his game to 99% Core Rules only. I do not know if he changed his mind. But I limit character in the 99 to only allow certain types.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:As GMs are we free to not use any house rules presented or our we forced into using anything approved?
I'm pretty sure that if I had decreed it, I could've banned ARES builds from my game. Just as long as the players know going in that X house rule is in play and Y house rule is not active on your table, I see no complication.
Beware the mesmerizing eyes of the snake!
12th AAT Bennies
12th AAT GM Bennies: 2/8
Wild Card Bennies:
Devak: 0/2
Varig: 0/2
Cole: 0/2
Prestige Unlimited Bennies
Prestige Unlimited GM Bennies: 5/5
Wild Card Bennies:
William Tack: 3
Kraig: 3
Vedder: 3
Shade: 3
Fletch: 3
Findriel: 0
Niels: 4
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

I like the changes proposed. I will change my vote to Approved.
GM Notes
101st GM Bennies: 8/8
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Rising Stars GM Bennies 8/8
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Jon: I think the only part of this that would be 'forced' on you would be the basic design rules for Signature Items (that's a reward a player can earn under site protocol, so for instance, Cantrell could get a SuperTech piece of gear as her Sig Item if Tribe threw down the EP). But as far as (for instance) the Edge rules, or allowing the items for open purchase via cash, yeah, you could decide not to use them, I think.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Freemage wrote:Jon: I think the only part of this that would be 'forced' on you would be the basic design rules for Signature Items (that's a reward a player can earn under site protocol, so for instance, Cantrell could get a SuperTech piece of gear as her Sig Item if Tribe threw down the EP). But as far as (for instance) the Edge rules, or allowing the items for open purchase via cash, yeah, you could decide not to use them, I think.
More or less what Soren said. You can ask folks not to use them though. You've outright done this in VK and personally I've never regretted the decision to avoid them in your game.
Tales of the 17th SOG

Return to “Archived Discussions”