Remember New Alamo 2.1

KahlessNestor

Remember New Alamo 2.1

Post by KahlessNestor »

Date: September 9, 109 PA
Time: 0600
Weather: Normal for season (warm); light wind, Light rain
Ley Line: Very Large (three quarters mile wide, 2000 feet tall, 75 miles long), stretches 75 miles north of the fort (Whiting, IA)
Scene modifiers:
  • Light: Daylight
  • Visibility: -1 from the rain
Round 0

Life settled into a routine at Fort Hope over the next few days. Reveille was blown at 6 am and breakfast served at 7. Alpha shift was on duty at 8 am, with patrols sent out into the area within a five mile radius of the fort. With the mercenaries the Trailblazers had brought, Lt. Winston was able to form three more squads, and so sent out a Legion and a mercenary patrol each day, with the second Legion and mercenary team held for defense of the base. The third mercenary team kept watch on the docks and the beach. The Legion tech squad started directing the laborers in construction of the new buildings and earthwork expansions.

Of course, the 101st SET wasn’t required to do any of this. They could pitch in where they were able. Vik helped draft up the plans for the workshop, garage, and generator, once it arrived from Castle Refuge.

Unfortunately, there was the issue of Nazo to contend with. Lt. Winston wasn’t happy with the murder of one of his legionnaires. But there was only her word to go by. A few inquiries discovered that Colonel Hunter had been acting a bit strange the last few days, the wear of the weather and poor conditions weighing him down. And there was the fact that they had no real way to contain a person of her abilities in these conditions. So Winston contented himself with Charlemagne’s vow to take responsibility for her, and she was put on strict probation and confinement to her tent. Thomas was able to smooth-talk and quell any discontent among the other Legionnaires.

The third day after the team’s arrival at the fort, one of the sentries spotted something in the distance to the north. It proved to be a Splugorth slaver barge, but it stayed at a distance, seeming content with observing the fort and not at all inclined to mix it up with an entrenched force.

The night before, a massive thunderstorm had blown through the area. Torrents of rain came down, and even a couple tents were blown over. It was worse in the camp outside the walls with nothing to protect them from the wind, with blown tents and the moat around the fort filling with water. There was even some flooding inside the fort.

The storm had mostly passed, and only a light rain fell now as reveille was blown, awaking everyone from the miserable night. Though the SET has no official duties to rouse to, they are soon interrupted in their tents by a legionnaire.

“Lieutenant Winston needs you in the command tent.”

Lt. Winston stood in the command tent staring at a map on the table when the Trailblazers arrived. Beside him stood a sopping wet young Legionnaire courier who was trying to warm himself with a cup of hot coffee. Winston was scowling and trying to light a damp cigar. When he spotted Ashley, he jammed the cigar under her nose.

“Make yourself useful,” Winston said gruffly. Apparently the bulldog boy had just as miserable a night as everyone else.

“I just received word of a situation that’s developing,” Winston said as his aide brought in another hot cup of coffee. Winston added a generous amount of brandy to it. “Seems there’s some big action building down south in Arkansas near Castle Refuge. Some nowhere town called Gloom. A two-bit would be world conqueror is amassing an army to attack the down and the Castle is sending the whole bloody Legion to meet it, calling in all their chits, they are. There was lots of timey-whimey bullsit that I didn’t understand, but it doesn’t matter.

“What matters is the Legion’s left its bare ass hanging out in a room full of horny hangdogs. Some holier-than-thou religious cult down in Pecos, in their eagerness to answer the Legion’s call, practically cleared out their town of New Alamo of anyone half decent in wielding a weapon or magic. Turns out they were a pretty damn important part of the monster ecosystem down there, keeping the vamps in line. Now we’ve got reports of increasing vampire activity in the area, and even of vampires moving south, under cover of darkness.

“So the Legion needs you. Not in Gloom. The 13th is taking care of that after they wipe those Black Company bastards off the face of this rifts-forsaken earth. Your job is to hie on down to New Alamo and make sure all those kiddies and old folks don’t become Scooby snacks for vampires.”

Winston indicated the map. “New Alamo’s coordinates are there. Map is pretty crude, but should get you there if you can navigate. We’ll expect you back once all the fighting in Gloom is done and the Magdalenas can get back to their rosaries and Hail Marys.

“You have any questions? Grab chow and kit out. You leave at 0800.” Lt. Winston glanced to Charlemagne to see if that was okay.
OOC Comments
You can kit out with things you think you might need from your Resources.
Combat Notes
Initiative:

Karsk (Quick)
Charlemagne (Cyberkinetic -2)
Thomas
Brianna
Nazo (Danger Sense, Sixth Sense, Quick)
Vik
Ashley

Enemies:
Maps
GM Notes
GM Bennies: 7/7
GM Notes
101st GM Bennies: 8/8
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Rising Stars GM Bennies 8/8
Ashley Logan

Re: Remember New Alamo 2.1

Post by Ashley Logan »

“Make yourself useful,” Winston said gruffly.

Ashley's eyes narrowed. She reached up, took hold of the cigar, and yanked it out of Winston's grasp. She then twisted it in half and let the halves drop.

"There. You're not getting cancer now. You also won't be needing skin grafts on your hand, arm and face. It's good to be useful."

During the briefing her outlook doesn't seem to improve much.

By the end she's leaving without a word, looking more sullen than usual.
Vik

Post by Vik »

"Eh, wot?" Vik says, letting the question hang for a good half a minute before being unable to control his own tongue.

He squints, the hangover in his brain pulsing like a tangible thing, fingers tap-tap-tapping on the butt of his holstered pistol.

"Just so's I'm crystal, here, what you mean to say is, you had them satanic constables blow their ruddy horns at 6 in the buggering morning, then summoned us lot here like a buncha the Queen's lapdogs, couple a three days after we scarper up here an' start building you loos that won't leak into your biscuits, so's you can tell us lot to turn around and Marsha-Marsha-Marsha-march right back the way we come, and then some, to go hoppity-hopping into the sandy wastes to hunt vampire-types what ain't threatening me or mine 'cause the rest of the Legion is off buggering some other blokes what I don't give two bitty shites about, neither? That about it, right?"

Vik turns and looks for Charlemagne.

"Oy, Charles-in-Charge. You got a preferred method for filleting this daft prick, or what say we let Ash just cook 'im in his poncy knickers?"

He turns again, his bewhiskered chin jutting out like a battering ram.

"In other words, Officer Wanker, I ain't travelin' nowhere 'less there's a first-class berth on a teleportin' train with compliment'ry mimosas."
Vik Donnager
Quick Stats
Human Techno-Wizard
Bennies: 2/3 + 2/2
Adventure Cards:

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (1d12+1), Vigor d6 +2
Pace: 6 (8) (1d6); Parry: 5 (9); Toughness: 17 (8) MDC or 21 (12) with amulet
Hindrances: Big Mouth; Device Dependent; Enemies (Coalition and True Federation); Gearhead Geek (Quirk-OCD tapping); Overconfident; Stubborn.
Notice d8+2, Persuasion d6, Common Knowledge d4
Edges and Abilities of Note: Adept + Auto-Raise for boost trait, Arcane Background (Weird Science) (Devices malfunction on a roll of 1); Arcane Machinist (Gadgeteer) (six times/session, as an action, create a device with 10 PPE, +5 PPE on a raise, using any TW power, -2 per rank above own); Elan; Luck + Great Luck; Machine Maestro (+1 to Common Knowledge, Electronics, Hacking, Research, Repair and Thievery rolls when interfacing with electronics and machines, +2 with preexisting TW and arcane devices); Master of Magic.
PPE: 5/20
Active Effects: No MAP, double Pace and Running, no running penalty; +1d Shooting and one free reroll/round; Imp. Take Em Down and Imp. Signature Weapon (railgun); +4 damage to cannon, +6 damage to railgun
Nazo

Post by Nazo »

Nazo sat with her wide brimmed at carefully positioned to hide most of her face say her cheeks and lips. Calmly she asked in a sing song voice, ” Lt. Winstson, what happened was regretable but not unforseeable. Your comments at the people of New Alamo seem to indicate you lack faith...” She pauses holding up a hand, ” I know you and your men have faith and purpose in the mission at hand, but what I am speaking of is a spiritual connection to the land and your inner self. I am sure there are those here that beleive that tending to your mental and spiritual health are less of a priority.” She waves her hand to the outside, ” The spirits that dwell in the land are restless and angry. Your men are but one step from insanity. I appologize for being blunt, but having someone come at you in the darkning rain gives me purpose to help you.”
She sighed and smiled gently, ” I beleive there were some rakes or old farming impliments. Find a patch of level ground 15 by 15 feet. Instruct your men to comb it thrice, and then with care look into their minds eye and draw what it holds in the the sand. Foolish some might think when there are shelters to be built. But I ask you what good is a shelter to dead men?”

Nazo pays little attention to the map but nods in agreement to go.
Combat info
Toughness: 18(7), Parry: 7, Pace: 13 (1)
Active Edges: Sixth Sense, Brave, Elan, quick, -2 to be hit
Isp: 20/20
Active Powers:
Loosing it (Str and Agility increase by two die types, fearless, beserk)

Weapons:
Main hand: celestial blade
Off hand: soul forged dagger
Wrists: altaran blasters
Back: staff of life
Pack: mental incapacitator

Bennies: 4/3
+1 for taking worst rolls
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Charlemagne nods at Lt. Winston. "If that is their order, then so be it. We have little for transit except our feet and our wings, for those of us so blessed. Mayhap we shall acquire transportation along the way."

He turns to Thomas. "My friend, secure rations for our journey down and back, though I am loathe to take so much of our stores from the fort." He then addresses Karsk. "Might Toad be willing to carry our supplies whilst we walk the road?"

He blinks absently at Vik. "Unfortunately, my friend, it appears our method of transport is the two feet you were blessed with. I shall take wing and lead. Slicing our superior officer into ribbons will only set us back additional, desperately needed manpower."

Turning to Nazo, he shakes his head. "I see your point, Nazo. However, while a brave man may like the feel of nature on his face, a wise man has enough sense to get in out of the rain. If the workers have spare time, they should be doing their best to erect reinforcements for the walls and shelter from the elements. Even the strongest spirit may wilt under the unrelenting weather. It is quite hot in the day. Being flooded at night will damage morale more than the lack of a garden." He smiles. "Besides, if a garden and good thoughts are what's needed, they can farm and pray as they do. That will both feed the fort and feed their spirits."

He bows to Lt. Winston. "We shall be off as quickly as possible. Until we return, please maintain the patrols and defense of the perimeter. I don't believe we will need to expand our reach until the communications tower is assembled." With that, he turns to exit.
Charlemagne
Charlemagne
Current Status Post
Bennies: 4
Current Status:
Wounds/Fatigue: 0 / 0
Parry: 8, -2 to hit with technological attacks
Toughness: 22 (12) (cyber armor active)
ISP: 30 / 30
Active Powers: cyber armor
Pertinent Edges: Improved Frenzy, Command, Champion, Improved Psi-Sword (Str + 3 x Spirit, AP 8 or AP 4 for double blades), Elan
Adventure Cards:
  • Sudden Death:
    Deadly Blow:
Armor: Cyber-Knight Heavy Armor
  • Barrier
  • +8 Armor
  • +2 Toughness
  • Full Environmental Protection
  • Powered by 1 PPE/hour
Weapon(s) in hand:
2 Silver Chainswords
Psi-Swords (2)
  • Damage: Str + 3x Spirit
  • AP 8 for single blade, AP 4 for double blades
  • MD with 2 ISP
Edit Signature
Nazo

Post by Nazo »

Outside Nazo catches up with Charlemagne, ” Charlemagne, a moment. Do you know the foes that the Lt. Spoke of. I hesitate to ask him directly as he and his men and I have been at odds ever since... Well you know...”
After she asks the question she sings a short refrain marking her sadness.
”Red wrong song you did me wrong,
Left me here,
So much unfamiliar people with fear.
You did me wrong.
Where did you go,
Where do you flee,
Red Wrong song do you see me?”

She smiles and her cheeks blush a little waiting for the fearless leaders response.
Combat info
Active Powers:

Weapons:

Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Charlemagne nods. "I am familiar with these creatures. Vile evil. They thirst for the blood of the living, and can turn their victims into their thralls, or worse." He shudders a bit. "I urge caution in combat, and most assuredly strike with purpose when you strike them."
Charlemagne
Charlemagne
Current Status Post
Current Status:
Pertinent Edges: Improved Frenzy, Command, Champion, Improved Psi-Sword (Str + 3 x Spirit, AP 8 or AP 4 for double blades), Elan
Adventure Cards:
  • Sudden Death:
    Deadly Blow:
  • Barrier
  • +8 Armor
  • +2 Toughness
  • Powered by 1 PPE/hour
Weapon(s) in hand:
2 Silver Chainswords
Psi-Swords (2)
  • MD with 2 ISP
Edit Signature
Nazo

Post by Nazo »

Charlemagne wrote:Charlemagne nods. "I am familiar with these creatures. Vile evil. They thirst for the blood of the living, and can turn their victims into their thralls, or worse." He shudders a bit. "I urge caution in combat, and most assuredly strike with purpose when you strike them."
Nazo smiles revealing her eyeless face to him. ” I am sworn to rid this world of demons, these vampire’s sound like a start. Hopefully our paths will cross again Charlemagne, I will look for you if you can bare to look for me.”
Nazo adjusts her hat, shoukders her gear with ease including a food supply then heads in the rough direction of New Alamo.
Spirits guide me.
Combat info
Active Powers:

Weapons:

Karsk

Post by Karsk »

Notice
[dice]0[/dice] ace [dice]2[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]

"Will take Karsk a long time to get there and only Toad do we have for transport. People will probably be back before we reach New Alamo."
Nazo

Post by Nazo »

Karsk wrote:Notice
[dice]40697:0[/dice] ace [dice]40697:2[/dice]
[dice]40697:1[/dice]

"Will take Karsk a long time to get there and only Toad do we have for transport. People will probably be back before we reach New Alamo."
Nazo pauses in her preparation to set off. Just how far is this New Alamo? What if by walking we do not reach it in time. To Karsk she says and inquires gently,” If speed is essential perhaps the legionaries have something that can transport us quickly. I have even heard of sorcery that can open large gates at leylines capable of taking a small group far distances. I can fly my self but only for short durations... Just how far is this New Alamo??”
Combat info
Active Powers:

Weapons:

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Thomas listens to Winston as he tells about all the trouble the Legion has been stirring up, and how they are screwing everyone over. ‘Wow, these guys are worse than my sister. They got people causing trouble all over the place.’

Deciding he needs to ask Thomas pipes up. “Sir, Vik, has a point and a very good one. Add to that that we are not vampire hunters. Vampires are big scary monsters that require special gear and skills. Nothing i own would even be noticed by a vampire as more than a tickle.

“Does your armory include anything like that we can use or at least some spell books with sunlight spells in them or something? Some TW circle of rain grenades, or globe of daylight spheres. Anything that would let us live past minute 1?”

Then when Charlemagne speaks up Thomas is floored by the idiocy of the group again. Unable to restrain himself from calling the guy out. Thomas begins thinking he chose the wrong faction to hide with. “Wait, do you guys take special classes in stupid before being put in command? How the hell are we going to do anything but be food for Vampires? Charles, you are supposed to be our leader and look out for us, and here you are just saying ‘okay let's all die together, but we need a car to get to the dying faster’.

“Vik here is the only one capable of fighting them in a meaningful way and unless you are going to give him the time it takes to fix all out gear, then other result will be all of us dead, because no matter how many light bulbs Vik makes vampires are badass.”

Taking a breath Thomas decides maybe he made a wrong decision. “Listen, if you want us to fight vampires then gear us up to fight vampires. Otherwise I have to say I will be resigning my position. This is insanity.” Mumbling under his breath to himself he says. “I wonder how hard it would be to get to England.”
Thomas (Rob T) status and conditions
Bennies 1

-1 Fatigue
PPE
Staff: 10/10
Personal: 20/20*
Bran and Lana Bind the Summons Frost Pixies
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d8
Skills: Athletics d8, Common Knowledge d6, Fighting d6, Occult d8, Notice d8, Persuasion d10, Performance d8, Spellcasting d10, Stealth d8, Thievery d6
Pace: 4; Parry: 5*; Toughness: 3
Hindrances: Clueless, Impulsive
Edges: Very Attractive
Special Abilities:
„ Flight: Even the wingless Pixies possess a flying Pace of 12.
„ Inherent Magic: All minor Faerie Folk possess the following powers: beast friend, confusion (befuddling dancing lights), darksight, entangle (gripping ice), invisibility, puppet (Faeries invariably use this to lead their victims in a Faerie Dance, stealing their clothes and equipment while they cavort), slumber, and speak language. Frost Pixies know bolt.
Faeries often Support each other to be more effective casters. In the PPE rich biome of Rifts Earth, Faerie Folk possess effectively unlimited PPE.
„ Size −3 (Very Small): The various sorts of Faerie Folk range from four to 12 inches tall.
„ Weakness (Salt): Salt does damage to Faeries, dealing +4 damage. Even a pinch deals 1d4+4 damage, quite deadly to such small creatures.
Nazo

Post by Nazo »

Nazo purses her lips at Tommy’s out burst. Pragmatic and well informed, at now I think I know why the spirits guided my hand to these round balls..
Nazo’s voice is calm and filled with inquiry, ”Tommy, you seem to know much about these vampire creatures. Can you elnlighten us to there strengths and weaknesses? Also how are we to arrive at our destination in a timely manner?”
She pulls out a bandolier with 12 grenades on it, ” I felt the hands of the spirits guide me to these weapons when I reached blindly into the recovered crate. Just as now the spirits tell me to offer them to you. I suspect these little spheres will be an answer to your greatest need.”. She gives them iver to Tommy with a smile on her lips.
12 UV grenades 5/10/20
Ultraviolet Grenade A state-of-the-art anti-vampire device, this one-use grenade contains a powerful UV light encased in a steel container. When thrown, side panels blow away and the powerful UV light fills a Medium Burst Template in a blinding flash. A vampire caught in the blast suffers 2d10 damage and has a chance of catching fire. Although not designed for use against mortals or other undead, the powerful light can blind targets. Non-vampiric targets within the template must make an Agility roll at –2 or be Shaken.
Combat info
Active Powers:

Weapons:

Vik

Post by Vik »

Vik does his best to keep his angry face on as first Nazz and then Charlie appear to buy into Winston's looney orders. He bobs his head furiously and juts out his chin as Tommy takes up the call to sanity ... but loses it when Nazo offers up her UV grenades.

"Oy, Tommy, mate, I think she's offering to give you your balls back," he says, failing to hide a snicker. "Great big blinking hangers they are, to drive off them as want to suck you to death."
Vik Donnager
Quick Stats
Human Techno-Wizard
Adventure Cards:

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (1d12+1), Vigor d6 +2
Hindrances: Big Mouth; Device Dependent; Enemies (Coalition and True Federation); Gearhead Geek (Quirk-OCD tapping); Overconfident; Stubborn.
Edges and Abilities of Note: Adept + Auto-Raise for boost trait, Arcane Background (Weird Science) (Devices malfunction on a roll of 1); Arcane Machinist (Gadgeteer) (six times/session, as an action, create a device with 10 PPE, +5 PPE on a raise, using any TW power, -2 per rank above own); Elan; Luck + Great Luck; Machine Maestro (+1 to Common Knowledge, Electronics, Hacking, Research, Repair and Thievery rolls when interfacing with electronics and machines, +2 with preexisting TW and arcane devices); Master of Magic.
Active Effects: No MAP, double Pace and Running, no running penalty; +1d Shooting and one free reroll/round; Imp. Take Em Down and Imp. Signature Weapon (railgun); +4 damage to cannon, +6 damage to railgun
Karsk

Post by Karsk »

Rolls carried

Karsk concentrates and suddenly the water in a jug began flowing out of the jug into the air positioning itself right next to Thomas.

"Karsk can kill undead."
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Thomas listens to Nazo and decides he will say. “Thank you for the grenades, but I would be as likely to hit myself as an enemy.

"As to vampires. First of all vampires are all as fast, strong, and combat capable as juicers. They are virtually invulnerable to damage of any sort with the exception of wood, running water, sunlight and silver. But what makes them really scary is even the things that can injure them cannot kill them. No, instead they just regenerate. Wild vampires can be scary, but when you get to their lieutenants the secondary vampires they will often wear armor. So even the weapons you previously relied on, no longer work.”

Thomas looks unimpressed by the watery trick performed by Karsk. With a few subtle words he conjures his own bit of water to refill his glass. And a small globe of daylight forms floating over his shoulder. “Sure these things will grow useful versus and wild vampires we find. But they will prove useless if we come across a secondary or master vampire who will have access to armor.
“To really stand a chance we need the TW weapons designed for fighting vampires. Heck maybe a good wizard can smite our weapons or claws to be able to affect the creatures. But my skills tend to be more subtle and short of becoming a dragon and the favored target of every enemy on the battlefield I do not have a way to stand up to one.”
Bennies 1

-1 Fatigue
PPE
Skills: Athletics d8, Common Knowledge d6, Fighting d6, Occult d8, Notice d8, Persuasion d10, Performance d8, Spellcasting d10, Stealth d8, Thievery d6
Special Abilities:
„ Inherent Magic: All minor Faerie Folk possess the following powers: beast friend, confusion (befuddling dancing lights), darksight, entangle (gripping ice), invisibility, puppet (Faeries invariably use this to lead their victims in a Faerie Dance, stealing their clothes and equipment while they cavort), slumber, and speak language. Frost Pixies know bolt.
Faeries often Support each other to be more effective casters. In the PPE rich biome of Rifts Earth, Faerie Folk possess effectively unlimited PPE.
„ Size −3 (Very Small): The various sorts of Faerie Folk range from four to 12 inches tall.
„ Weakness (Salt): Salt does damage to Faeries, dealing +4 damage. Even a pinch deals 1d4+4 damage, quite deadly to such small creatures.
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Charlemagne smiles. "Oft, the sanity of those who obey orders are questioned when there appears no easy way at first. However, I have faith that, between now and then, we shall avail ourselves of means and methods by which to defeat our foes. If all else fails, I shall stand at the breach myself and hold off a horde of them, with such a capable force as the 101st behind me. Certainly you are aware that the cyber-knights are capable of slaying vampires."

He turns and faces Thomas directly. "If you wish to resign, I will accept, though I loathe to do so. You are valuable to this team and this assignment in particular. However, in doing so, know that you may be depriving us of exactly what we need to accomplish this mission. Regardless, the Legion has need of us, and that is the point of their need. If I must travel there myself, then I shall do so."

He turns back to face the rest of the group. "We must make all haste to load our provisions on Toad, with Karsk's permission, and be away. Those who muster at the gate at 0800 I shall assume are joining me on this journey. If you do not, I will assume you have resigned your commission with the Legion, and I bid you godspeed."
Charlemagne
Charlemagne
Current Status Post
Current Status:
Adventure Cards:
  • Sudden Death:
    Deadly Blow:
  • Barrier
  • +8 Armor
  • +2 Toughness
  • Powered by 1 PPE/hour
Weapon(s) in hand:
2 Silver Chainswords
Psi-Swords (2)
  • MD with 2 ISP
Edit Signature
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Thomas listens to Charles and is amazed. “From what i have seen no, they do not. Most cyber-knights tend to die a little slower when fighting vampires.”
Taking a deep breath he says obviously exacerbated as he gets up. “Well at least someone should think like a leader and prepare for the coming potential battles. So I am going to go spend some time at the ley line and make as many spheres with daylight bound to them as I can. I suppose the rest of you have time for hoping that something will mysteriously happen to make us safer.” With the words spoken Thomas leaves annoyed at the incompetence of what he just witnessed. Perhaps he can clear his head and work out the best thing to do while creating globes of daylight.
Bennies 1

-1 Fatigue
PPE
Special Abilities:
Nazo

Post by Nazo »

Nazo takes the bandoleer back and drapes the grenades around her supple neck. ”Very well Master Thomas, your information is well heeded.” She draws forth a bladeless katana and with one hand draws a line from empty hilt to five feet in length. Suddenly a blade of silver holy light extends. ”A relic of the holy fight we wage in japan every eve when the Oni come to terrorize the villages. It was given to me by my lost teacher Master Kitito. But I beleive it will do well against these creatures you describe.” Her hands reach into the folds of her cloak pulling out a common thin looking dagger. The dagger’s blade suddenly goes transulent marked with holy symbols of her native country. ”A soul slayer, capable of peircing the hardest of armors and a scourge of the undead... Vampires may yet rue its existance.”

Nazo points to the large weapons crate yonder, ”Perhaps there Thomas you will find something that will better prepare you for the coming war.”

Nazo looks at Charlegmagne and nods slightly off kilter, ” If we are to travel as a group then let it be. Does haste bare little to our task at hand?” She turns her head to the mighty beast in question. ” Similiar to Vik and Karsk, I would not want to make the journey only to find we arrived to late.”
Combat info
Active Powers:

Weapons:

Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Charlemagne nods to Nazo. "Haste is certainly of the essence. Unfortunately, we must use the tools available to us. Currently, that consists entirely of our feet, and wings, for those so blessed. We must hope we do not arrive too late, but it is better to arrive late than never to have gone at all. We will never know whether we might have saved lives if we defy our orders and remain here."
Charlemagne
Charlemagne
Current Status Post
Current Status:
Adventure Cards:
  • Sudden Death:
    Deadly Blow:
  • Barrier
  • +8 Armor
  • +2 Toughness
  • Powered by 1 PPE/hour
Weapon(s) in hand:
2 Silver Chainswords
Psi-Swords (2)
  • MD with 2 ISP
Edit Signature
Karsk

Post by Karsk »

Psionics 10 Exalted telekinesis & Energy control
OOC Comments
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice] ace [dice]2[/dice]
The water by Thomas' head suddenly shaped itself into the shape of an arrow and drove itself into the ground with such force there was no doubt it could have penetrated armour.

"Karsk can deal with vampires," he said confidently, "but scared man correct. We need more preparation. Group will be outnumbered considerably. Can strange talking man make Toad go faster?"
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

Date: September 9, 109 PA
Time: 0601
Weather: Normal for season (warm); light wind, Light rain
Ley Line: Very Large (three quarters mile wide, 2000 feet tall, 75 miles long), stretches 75 miles north of the fort (Whiting, IA)
Scene modifiers:
  • Visibility: -1 from the rain
Round 0

Lt. Winston glared unhappily at Ashley and then stared forlornly at his cigar in the mud. “Bloody hell, woman. That was my last one!”

He sighed and wiped his tired face and looked at Vik. “I’m just relaying orders, son,” Winston said, turning the datapad around to display to them the orders signed by Captain Kahless Nestor.

Winston stared at Nazo. “Is she touched?” he asked Charlemagne, tapping the side of his head. “I mean, if that’s what you all want, but we’re sleeping in puddles right now.”

Charlemagne, fortunately, proved more accomodating. Lt. Winston nodded in acknowledgement of the Lyn-Srial’s orders. “Yes, sir. Patrols will continue. We’ll keep these people safe.” He looked off into the distance, as if through the canvas of the tent to the small tent city grown up outside the earthworks of the fort. “Somehow.”

“Does your armory include anything like that we can use, or at least some spell books with sunlight spells in them or something? Some TW circle of rain grenades, or globe of daylight spheres. Anything that would let us live past minute one?” Thomas asked.

“Talk to the quartermaster about what we have,” Lt. Winston said. “But anti-vamp gear is fairly standard issue. You have a stake in your standard pack,” he pointed out to Thomas. “And it’s pretty easy to find or make a pointy stick.”

Winston left the team to organize their journey. He had to see off the morning’s patrol.
Travel details
  • It is 650 miles down to New Alamo. That is roughly 28 days on foot (8 hours travel) You can shorten that by doing a Forced March (12 hours travel, Vigor roll for Fatigue), going All Out (16 hours travel, Vigor -2), or Non-Stop (24 hours travel, Vigor -4). You can change your pace after each leg of the trip. (No magic or Succor allowed, as it represents the cumulative wear of travel)
  • If you can somehow figure out a way to rig up some way for Toad to carry you all, you can halve the travel times. Then Toad will be making the Vigor rolls and your Vigor rolls will downgrade a step. To rig something up, make a K. Engineering roll (straight) or Repair -2. One person (PC or NPC) may make a cooperative roll to assist (Zacra has a d10 K. Engineering, and your Legion Mechanic has a d8 Repair. Feel free to make their rolls, and you can spend bennies on them). This represents jury rigging something up. A Success gets you a saddlebag system, wagon, or sled/travois with Handling -4 (anything relating to the device, including Vigor rolls, takes the penalty). Each raise reduces the penalty by 2. This will take 1d4 hours to make, halved if you have something that halves repair time. This will cost 1 Supply to build.
  • You can take 1 Supply for the fort’s stores and it should last you s food for the entire trip. If you don’t, or if you lose it along the way, you will have to make foraging rolls for each leg, with the risk of Vigor rolls against hunger if you don’t find enough food.
  • Let me know when you plan on leaving. By default, ASAP, I will have you leave at 8 AM, but you can choose to leave earlier (skip breakfast) or later (if you choose to make a device for Toad).
  • If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Combat Notes
Initiative:

Karsk (Quick)
Thomas
Brianna
Vik
Ashley

Enemies:
Maps
GM Notes
GM Notes
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Nazo

Post by Nazo »

”Lt. Your men will forever sleep in puddles of your own making. If you continue to make them that is.”

Nazo found a good spot in the rain on a rock overlooking the general direction the group was to head out. The rain was light and warm but her armor with black and reds seemed well suited to shed it with minimal effort. She drew her two blades a deadly katana and dagger combination: ”Daisho”. In one spot in the rain she gathered her self and moved effortlessly through a martial kata reminicent of the movements of a butterfly.

There is really nothing I can do for these soildiers until they mend their broken souls. Thrust, Block, strike...

Why do men find it so hard to look deep within. Counter, Crouch, Spin, Leg sweep.

The house one builds is only as good as the foundation within. Strike, Block, Knee, Crouch.

There must be a way to shorten the time it takes us to New Alamo. The difference of one or two days could prove essential in protecting the innocenet. Thrust, Block, Strike...

Nazo paused sheathing her weapons and rested on her haunches. A butterfly fighting hard against the light rain landed on her shoulder. She smiled at it, Little Sister. Her breath came in and out slowly, ”Spirit guide me, Is there a path that will lead us to New Alamo quickest?”
Communion 19, 10 PPE spent
Communion 10 PPE: Faith [dice]0[/dice] Wild [dice]1[/dice] Benny for EF [dice]2[/dice] Ace [dice]3[/dice] Vigor [dice]4[/dice] wild [dice]5[/dice]
After her conversation with the spirit she walks to the leyline and refills her PPE.
Combat info
Active Powers:

Weapons:

Vik

Post by Vik »

Seeing the tide turning against him, Vik spits and resigns himself to a long walk to the bloodsucker-filled deserts of the southwest.

"Buncha barking loonies, the lot of yas, trading this perfectly swamp-like puddle a shite for a buncha dusty vampires and rotgut wif worms innit and food what'll make you grunt-n-squeeze yerselves into a coffin. His horny majesty take you all, 'cept I wager it's in for a penny in for a pound, so's I better get to poundin' back in me tent, 'cause it's gonna be lonely wankin' in the woods from here on out, after only just reconnectin' wif ol'Charlie, the good-lookin' one not the sorry nutter what's leading us off to be emptied of vital humors in the desert like a buncha knobs atta cathouse. For fucking shame is what I say."

Still muttering, he retreats to his tent, which vibrates and shudders through the night as Vik and Charlize engage in a series of passionate arguments alternating with fevered bouts of "wrestling." Vik emerges in the cold light of dawn lugging his gunny sack, looking much the worse for year. He might even have been crying.

"Okay you buncha wankers, 'spose it's time to scarper. Charlie's staying behind -- unlike others what share the name, she's got beauty and brains for self-preservation -- so's these tossers best keep the place from being overrun while we're off walking cross the contintent. Now, who's got a bit of the black to fill my thermos?"

Seeing Karsk atop Toad, Vik gives the Simvan the stink eye, to the extent he can focus his bleary gaze on anything.

"Bloody savage's got himself a pony ride while the rest of us is slogging through the muck like a bunch a soft-headed sods queued up for the dole. Wait a tick ... Oy, Zacra, we still got some of that whaddya call, scaffoldin', from building up the workshop? I'm reminded of them elephants what used to be used for rides for the tots in knickers, or them in turbans, you know wit the whaddya say, boy-howdies, or whoo-doos or whatnot. Like a little hut what sits on the hump'a the dewback and sorta hangs off the sides ..."
Kn: Engineering
Techno-Wizardry for Greater Boost Trait - Kn: Engineering [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Benny to reroll
TW [dice]2[/dice] = Success with a Raise, +4d to Kn: Engineering
Wild [dice]3[/dice]
EDIT: Forgot Machine Maestro, but doens't matter

Kn: Engineering to rig howdah [dice]4[/dice]
Wild [dice]5[/dice]

Zacra co-op roll [dice]6[/dice] = Success, increases total by +1, to 8, so ... Success with a raise gives us a howdah with Handling -2
With the assistance of Zacra and liberal use of his View-Master of Mastery, Vik uses leftover construction supplies to rig an elaborate howdah [Handling -2] with room enough for the group to ride Toad on the journey south.

"There you go you buncha numpties, climb aboard and lean back 'stead of walking the whole ways and wagging off. Thank me later, pref'rably with a nice bottle, wot."
Vik Donnager
Quick Stats
Human Techno-Wizard
Adventure Cards:

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Arriving at the line Thomas gets to work on the stones for the group.

Thomas enchanting small stones to glow with Daylight eternally.
A bunch of casting rolls, 7 stones created
1 Spellcasting [dice]0[/dice]
1 Wild [dice]1[/dice]

2 Spellcasting [dice]2[/dice]
2 Wild [dice]3[/dice]

3 Spellcasting [dice]4[/dice]
3 Wild [dice]5[/dice]

4 Spellcasting [dice]6[/dice]
4 Wild [dice]7[/dice]

5 Spellcasting [dice]8[/dice]
5 Wild [dice]9[/dice]

6 Spellcasting [dice]10[/dice]
6 Wild [dice]11[/dice]

7 Spellcasting [dice]12[/dice]
7 Wild [dice]13[/dice]

8 Spellcasting [dice]14[/dice]
8 Wild [dice]15[/dice]

9 Spellcasting [dice]16[/dice]
9 Wild [dice]17[/dice]
Bennies 1

-1 Fatigue
PPE
Special Abilities:
Nazo

Post by Nazo »

Thomas wrote:Arriving at the line Thomas gets to work on the stones for the group.

Thomas enchanting small stones to glow with Daylight eternally.
A bunch of casting rolls, 7 stones created
1 Spellcasting [dice]40906:0[/dice]
1 Wild [dice]40906:1[/dice]

2 Spellcasting [dice]40906:2[/dice]
2 Wild [dice]40906:3[/dice]

3 Spellcasting [dice]40906:4[/dice]
3 Wild [dice]40906:5[/dice]

4 Spellcasting [dice]40906:6[/dice]
4 Wild [dice]40906:7[/dice]

5 Spellcasting [dice]40906:8[/dice]
5 Wild [dice]40906:9[/dice]

6 Spellcasting [dice]40906:10[/dice]
6 Wild [dice]40906:11[/dice]

7 Spellcasting [dice]40906:12[/dice]
7 Wild [dice]40906:13[/dice]

8 Spellcasting [dice]40906:14[/dice]
8 Wild [dice]40906:15[/dice]

9 Spellcasting [dice]40906:16[/dice]
9 Wild [dice]40906:17[/dice]
Nazo bounds over defying gravity with each elongated step. Her helm hides everything but her lips and rosey cheeks. ” Is that you Thomas?” Nazo sheaths her blades and crouches down turning haphazardly towards what he is doing. ” What you doing to those stones?”
Combat info
Active Powers:

Weapons:

Karsk

Post by Karsk »

notice
[dice]0[/dice]
wild dice [dice]1[/dice]
Vik wrote:Seeing Karsk atop Toad, Vik gives the Simvan the stink eye, to the extent he can focus his bleary gaze on anything.

"Bloody savage's got himself a pony ride while the rest of us is slogging through the muck like a bunch a soft-headed sods queued up for the dole. Wait a tick ... Oy, Zacra, we still got some of that whaddya call, scaffoldin', from building up the workshop? I'm reminded of them elephants what used to be used for rides for the tots in knickers, or them in turbans, you know wit the whaddya say, boy-howdies, or whoo-doos or whatnot. Like a little hut what sits on the hump'a the dewback and sorta hangs off the sides ..."
Whilst Karsk allows Vik to construct the device and place it on Toad, he keeps a withering eye on Vik.

"Savage," he grumbled, debating mentally the best way to cook Vik's heart if he decided to kill him, whilst also plotting their route to New Alamo from here, avoiding some of the more interesting areas

Survival 9
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
Area Knowledge 4
[dice]4[/dice]
[dice]5[/dice]

Toad
Vigour 5
[dice]6[/dice]
Nazo

Post by Nazo »

Charlemagne and Thomas have told me enough. I have a necklace of UV grenades, the soul slayer, my celestial blade, and the stone Thomas gave me. With the gudance of the spirits I must get there in time to do good.
Nazo leaves with the group and never stops. ”The people of New Alamo need us, let us push ourselves harder and faster than we could have dreamed. If we are to give hope then let it be on the backs of our weary selves. Anata ga damasu tobimasu!”
Vigor -4 [dice]0[/dice] wild [dice]1[/dice] benny for EF [dice]2[/dice]
Combat info
Active Powers:

Weapons:

Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Vigor
Vigor vs. travel fatigue
[dice]0[/dice]

WD Vigor
[dice]1[/dice]

EE WD Vigor with Elan
[dice]2[/dice]
Charlemagne smiles, if only to himself, as the massive howdah is constructed and placed on Toad. For refusing to follow orders, Vik has outdone himself with the construction of this device. He ignores Vik's nigh-incomprehensible jabs at every Charlie not bedding the man. His morale will improve when he does not have to walk to New Alamo...I hope. He monitors the preparation and eventual loading of supplies onto the hulking beast, then prepares to depart.

He nods to Karsk. "Would that we could fly. Short of that, let us make as much haste as you believe Toad can, carrying us all. I do not wish to harm the beast. I trust your judgment."
Charlemagne
Charlemagne
Current Status Post
Current Status:
Adventure Cards:
  • Sudden Death:
    Deadly Blow:
  • Barrier
  • +8 Armor
  • +2 Toughness
  • Powered by 1 PPE/hour
Weapon(s) in hand:
2 Silver Chainswords
Psi-Swords (2)
  • MD with 2 ISP
Edit Signature
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Nazo wrote: Nazo bounds over defying gravity with each elongated step. Her helm hides everything but her lips and rosey cheeks. ” Is that you Thomas?” Nazo sheaths her blades and crouches down turning haphazardly towards what he is doing. ” What you doing to those stones?”
Looking up from his work Thomas nods at the insane samurai woman. "I was making some of the stones, each will glow with the light of a sun for a good many years. If cast successfully even centuries. Would you like one i think they will come in handy for each of us to have when surrounded by vampires."

When Nazo accepts the stone Thomas feels something strange. Like maybe he was poisoned, or perhaps drugged. Shaking it off he looks around for what caused it. But the feeling passes and he is able to again return to his labor.
Bennies 1

-1 Fatigue
PPE
Special Abilities:
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

Date: September 18, 109 PA (Day 9 of travel)
Time: 1300
Weather: 10 degrees cooler than normal for season (warm); no wind, no rain
Ley Line: None
Scene modifiers:
  • Visibility: Clear
Round 0

The light rain started stopped falling around the time the Trailblazers left Fort Hope, making for a much more pleasant ride, though it took a while to get used to the stench of wet rhino-buffalo. Victor’s howdah left some things to be desired. It wasn’t the most comfortable of conveyances, but at least you weren’t walking. The Trailblazers might have to deal with some saddle sores, however.

The trip was uneventful, if boring. On the morning of the fourth day, however, Nazo and Charlemagne had a bit of a conversation over breakfast, arguing about their next leg of the trip. Nazo finally convinced Charlemagne, and on that day, instead of heading south in the direction of New Alamo, the Trailblazers headed east.

Around noon, when the team was about to stop for a rest, they spotted a dust cloud off to the northeast. It appeared to be on a convergence course with them toward a ley line in the distance. Vik rigged up some kind of nickelodeon device that let the team observe from a distance.

The vehicle looked to be some pre-rifts old pickup, but the most beat up pickup one had ever seen. It had all its panels and parts, but they all sported dents and dings as it raced along at insane speeds. The dented grill almost appeared to have a sinister grin, and the headlights glowed an eerie green.

And no one was driving it.

Though the driver’s seat behind the wheel was empty, someone was sitting in the passenger seat, strapped in with some kind of jury rigged racing harness to keep her from being thrown violently around the cab. She was encased in what looked like combat mage armor that had seen better days, and she was fiddling around with some kind of techno-wizard device as well as she could in the rough travel of the pickup.

The pickup’s engine roared as it approached a gully. It was much to wide to be able to cross, but the pickup wasn’t slowing down. In fact, it was speeding up. Green flames started to lick from under the hood and through the grill, and the tires ignited with green flame, leaving a trail of burning prairie grass behind as it launched itself in a leap over the gap, the horn blaring out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAKksqKR3pI

It landed roughly on the other side and continued racing.

A jewel blinked on the passenger’s combat mage armor and the helmeted head looked up, seeming to stare right at Vik through the magic of the clairvoyance device. The armored figure pulled out a small stick device and held it up. There was a blinding flash that left Vik blind for the next fifteen minutes, and the scrying magic was dispelled.

When the Trailblazers arrived at the ley line, the beat up pickup was there waiting for them. The passenger was sitting on the tailgate, finishing up whatever device it had been working on previously. Seemingly finished, it put it aside and stood up, staring up at them.

Now that you were actually there, you had a better look. The mage armor seemed piecemeal, cobbled together. And not all of it was the standard metals and composites normally used. Some of it had the appearance of demonic armored flesh. Some of the jewels pulsed with a sickly green light.

Nazo felt her stomach clench as her mystic awareness went off. She could sense the supernatural demonic magical energies from parts of the armor, and also from the truck, something she hadn’t see in her vision of this figure. The truck emanated the energies of a Spirit of Vengeance.
Detect Magic and K. Arcana
Anyone using Detect Magic can make a K. Arcana roll. A success recognizes a Spirit of Vengeance in the truck. With a Raise you know that these demonic spirits aren’t the most evil of entities, but are often bound to mortals and used to gain power to exact vengeance in the mortal world, sending the souls of evil men to a more powerful entity. The Spirit isn’t actually good (hence pinging mystic awareness), but the mortal often can be, and attempts to channel the power to oppose more evil entities.
The armored figure reached up and removed the helmet, revealing a cascade of blonde hair as it tumbled down. She was an attractive woman, but her face was marred by a large scar running from her hairline, across her eyes, and down her neck. The eye seemed to be fine, though, as her hard blue eyes looked up at you. She looked like a woman who had been to hell and clawed her way out.

“Why are you spying and following me?” she demanded.

The truck rumbled ominously beside her.

“Hush, Old Beast,” the woman said, putting a hand on the truck’s hood. “You bear the markings of the Tomorrow Legion. Did Anarik and Zolo send you after me? I’m surprised they survived that demon horde I left them fighting.” She shrugged.

After a few pleasantries to de-escalate the situation, the woman introduced herself as Tara Black. Nazo explained her vision and how she saw Tara as a way to cut time off their trip.

“Well, I am going that direction,” Tara admitted. “I was about to gate through the ley line. I suppose I could gate you with me. But I don’t know where New Alamo is, and I am not going there.”

Tara reached back to pick up the device she had built. “This should let us form a gate. It just needs a sufficient power source. That is where Old Beast comes in.” She pet the hood of the truck again. “Don’t be fooled. He isn’t tamed. He’s just being...cooperative, for now.” She gave the hood a pat. “Now open up, Beast.”
K. History or Common Knowledge -2
You may have heard tales of the Old Beast, a beat up pickup with no driver that roams the west like a wild animal. It has been known to rescue people from things like vampires or other evil supernatural entities. If you succeed, a Benny to anyone who tells a tale of Old Beast or another Spirit of Vengeance.
The hood of the truck popped open and Tara leaned in, fiddling around. Curious, Vik wandered around to watch. The truck’s innards didn’t look like they should be working. Broken belts, blown gaskets, missing spark plugs. But it purred like a perfectly tuned V8. Green energy wafted around, seeming to hold the entire thing together.

“This won’t hurt. Just tickle a little,” Tara told the truck.

“That might not be entirely accurate, Tara,” another voice said. It seemed to come from the field computer attached to Tara’s wrist.

“Hush, Sara. Now isn’t the time,” Tara said.

“Hello.” A holographic figure of another blonde woman looking exactly like Tara, sans scar and weathered features, appeared from the computer, waving at Vik.

Tara attached her device to the battery and the green energy started to flow into it. “There we go.” She slammed the hood closed and moved around. “Better get ready,” she told the Trailblazers. “I don’t know how long the gate will last.”

Tara got into Old Beast and strapped in. The truck rumbled and revved. The green headlights flickered and then grew brighter and brighter, shining out at the ley line, overpowering even the ley line’s brightness.

And then the line shifted, parting, a gate opening.

“It worked!” Tara grinned, and Old Beast leapt through. The Trailblazers scrambled to get Toad through before the gate closed.

And then suddenly they were shunted out somewhere else. Tara leaned out the window of Old Beast. “This is where we part. New Alamo is that way.” She pointed south. “I think I’ve just saved you four days of travel. You’re welcome.”

With that, Old Beast roared to life and tore off toward the horizon.
RP
If anyone wants to do more role playing with Tara Black, feel free to start something up in the RP thread.

The next five days of travel passed uneventfully, and a cold front seemed to have moved into the area, leaving the weather pleasantly cooler and comfortable than one would expect in late summer. Around noon on your ninth day of travel you see smoke on the horizon. The ruins of pre-Rifts city lie to the west. Toad is acting very nervous as the drifting smoke gets thicker, traveling in your direction.

And then you see it. A raging wildfire is racing across the prairie toward you, blocking your path south, sheets of flame and smoke rising in the air.
Successful Notice roll
You notice 2 things:
  • If you hurry, you could probably get around the fire before it completely encircles you. It would likely mean going well out of your way and into the nearby ruins, and who knows what dangers await in there.
  • There is a large group of refugees who have been trapped in the prairie fire. Rescuing them means going into the heart of the inferno.

Instructions
  • Everyone, including Toad, needs to make a Vigor -2 versus Fatigue. This represents the days of travel in Vik’s howdah. Karsk is exempt from making the roll because I am assuming he is riding in his normal saddle, which is well made for riding. If you fail, take a level of Fatigue. If you critically fail, take 2 levels of Fatigue and write a scene of the agonies of your trip and take a Benny.
  • TWO possible Dramatic Tasks! The PARTY must CHOOSE ONE to do.
    • Dramatic Task 1: Save your bacon! (Difficulty -4; 10 Successes. Fail Forward). Outrace the fire and get to (relative) safety. But this means rushing headlong into the ruins of a pre-Rifts city. Pick an appropriate Trait to navigate the dangers of the ruins. Any successes short of the goal adds 1 day per success to your trip, minimum 3.
      • Resources Spent: As a default your character spends 2d6 Power Points or Ammunition. Before rolling declare if you would like to have your character risk more or expend more resources for a better chance of success. Note: You must have the resources to spend them.
        • -2: Conserve your energy - Believing it may be an easy battle, you accept an additional -2 to your roll in exchange for spending only 1d6 resources.
        • +0: In The Fight - Wanting to stay on top of things, you fight like a professional. You roll without an additional modifier for the default resource cost.
        • +2: Serious Business - You do not play around and do what you have to in order to ensure victory, even when it requires risking yourself. You may spend 3d6 resources or accept 1 Fatigue or 1 Wound (Soakable) to gain a bonus of +2 to this roll.
        • +4: No Matter The Cost - When battle comes, you go all in, winning no matter the personal cost. You spend 4d6 resources, or accept 2 Fatigue or 2 Wounds (Soakable) to gain a bonus of +4 to this roll.
      • Narrate the roll result. Tell what challenge you faced and how you overcame it. The below gives some indication of the benefits of various levels of rolls.
        • Critical Failure: Suffer 2 Wounds which cannot be soaked and lose 2 additional days of travel. Take a Benny for narrating how spectacular a failure you are.
        • Failure: The hero generally succeeds, but not without a grave cost or an unfortunate delay. Suffer 1 Wound (Soakable) and lose 1 additional day of travel.
        • Success: The hero fights well. Your hero must make a Vigor roll (no additional penalties). Failure, he suffers a Wound (Soakable). On success he suffers no wound.
        • Raise: The hero wreaks havoc, slaying enemy leaders and routing minions. Escaping the dangers of battle, he finds himself uninjured any further. In addition, you gain a Benny and ignore up to 1d6 resources used.
        • Two or More Raises: The warrior covers himself in glory! Many foes fall before him and his success inspires his allies to fight like demons. She emerges from the fight unscathed and takes no additional wounds. The character may also reduce another player's Critical Failure result to a normal failure if he narrates how he interfered. In addition, you gain a Benny are able to conserve 2d6 resources and you can roll 1d6 on this Reward table:
          • 1. You rescue a potentially valuable ally. Gain a Contact. The GM will create one.
          • 2. You find a cache of weapons and ammunition worth 3d10 x 100,000 credits.
          • 3. You find a powerful magical artifact. Roll on the Enchanted Items and Mystic Gadgets table and add 1 Minor Modification per rank of your character.
          • 4. You learned something valuable in this experience. Get 1 roll on one of these HJ tables: Education, Experience & Wisdom, Training, Underworld & Black Ops, or an appropriate AB table.
          • 5. You find an old NEMA R&D facility. You gain 1 roll on one of these HJ tables: Body Armor, Close Combat Weapons, Cybernetics, Ranged Weapons. Using the Supertech rules, add mods up to your rank to the item.
          • 6. You find an unsecured credcard with 5d10 x 100,000 credits.
    • Dramatic Task 2: Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire (Difficulty -4; Successes needed: --). Make a Vigor OR Agility roll.
      • Resources Spent: As a default your character takes 1d3 Fatigue and 1d3 Wounds (Soakable). Before rolling declare if you would like to have your character risk more or expend more resources for a better chance of success. Note: You must have the resources to spend them. If you have FEP armor, you can ignore the resource cost for being immune to fire and smoke, but you can take a Benny if you do take the Fatigue and Wounds and narrate how you got them.
        • -2: Conserve your energy - Believing it may be an easy task, you accept an additional -2 to your roll in exchange taking 1 less Wound and 1 less Fatigue.
        • +0: In The Fight - Wanting to stay on top of things, you fight like a professional. You roll without an additional modifier for the default resource cost.
        • +2: Serious Business - You do not play around and do what you have to in order to ensure victory, even when it requires risking yourself. You may accept an extra 1 Fatigue or 1 Wound (Soakable) to gain a bonus of +2 to this roll.
        • +4: No Matter The Cost - When battle comes, you go all in, winning no matter the personal cost. You accept an extra 2 Fatigue or 2 Wounds (Soakable) to gain a bonus of +4 to this roll.
      • Narrate the roll result. Tell what challenge you faced and how you overcame it. The below gives some indication of the benefits of various levels of rolls.
        • Critical Failure: Suffer 2 Wounds which cannot be soaked and are considered outside the Golden Hour. You rescue no refugees. Take a Benny for narrating how spectacular a failure you are.
        • Failure: The hero generally succeeds, but not without a grave cost or an unfortunate delay. Suffer 1 Wound (Soakable) which is outside the Golden Hour. You rescue 1d4 refugees.
        • Success: The hero does well. Your hero must make a Vigor roll (no additional penalties). Failure, he suffers a Wound (Soakable). On success he suffers no wound. You rescue 1d6 refugees.
        • Raise: The hero is supreme! Escaping the dangers of the flames, he finds himself uninjured any further. In addition, you gain a Benny, ignore 1 Fatigue and 1 Wound, and rescue 1d8 refugees.
        • Two or More Raises: The hero covers himself in glory! Many are saved and his success inspires his allies. She emerges from the fight unscathed and takes no additional wounds. The character may also reduce another player's Critical Failure result to a normal failure if he narrates how he helped. In addition, you gain a Benny ignore 2 Fatigue and 2 Wounds. You rescue 1d10 refugees. Roll 1d6 on this Reward table:
          • 1. You rescue a potentially valuable ally. Gain a Contact. The GM will create one.
          • 2. A refugee you rescue has a cache of weapons and ammunition worth 3d10 x 100,000 credits.
          • 3. A refugee you rescue has a powerful magical artifact. Roll on the Enchanted Items and Mystic Gadgets table and add 1 Minor Modification per rank of your character.
          • 4. You learned something valuable in this experience. Get 1 roll on one of these HJ tables: Education, Experience & Wisdom, Training, Underworld & Black Ops, or an appropriate AB table.
          • 5. A refugee you rescue is very grateful and rewards you.. You gain 1 roll on one of these HJ tables: Body Armor, Close Combat Weapons, Cybernetics, Ranged Weapons. Using the Supertech rules, add mods up to your rank to the item.
          • 6. A refugee gives you an unsecured credcard with 5d10 x 100,000 credits.

Travel details
  • It is 650 miles down to New Alamo. That is roughly 28 days on foot (8 hours travel) You can shorten that by doing a Forced March (12 hours travel, Vigor roll for Fatigue), going All Out (16 hours travel, Vigor -2), or Non-Stop (24 hours travel, Vigor -4). You can change your pace after each leg of the trip. (No magic or Succor allowed, as it represents the cumulative wear of travel)
  • Vik spent 3 hours building the howdah (Handling -2). This adds -2 to Toad’s Vigor roll. Travel time is now 10 days at normal pace, 6 days at Forced March, 3 days at All Out, and 1 Day at non-stop.

Combat Notes
Howdah (riding Karsk): Handling -2

Initiative:

Karsk (Quick)
Thomas
Brianna
Vik
Ashley

Enemies:
Maps
GM Notes
GM Notes
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Vik

Post by Vik »

CK 10, Notice 3, Vigor 9
Common Knowledge -2 [dice]0[/dice] = Ace! [dice]6[/dice] -- Forgot the -2, takes it to 10
Wild [dice]1[/dice]

Notice [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

Vigor -2 (base 1d6+2) [dice]4[/dice]
Wild [dice]5[/dice] = Ace! [dice]7[/dice]
Vik isn't happy about the bird in the old lorry dissipatin' his scrying device, but he perks up when she introduces herself as Tara Black.

"Bloody sock pockets, man. The Tara Black? The ol' Combine boys have a stiffie for you, and not of the pinch and tickle kind. I heard all sorts a stories 'bout you when I was learning the craft from them Red River types. Vendetta and traitorous harpy was the words tossed most often like, but mange-maggot and back-stabbing thief was mentioned once or twice, as well. You're family with them wankers, I'd wager? No worries on my end, if they was to see my Dick Tracy they'd be usin' it for target practice, like, no missed pigeons. No tongue-wagging here."

Once he gets a good look at the battered, flame-covered truck, Vik gets excited again, but keeps his distance.

"Old Beast? Well, wonders of the seas. Right demon-possessed pick-me-up, that. Heard of it back when I was in Black Mesa, from an old sod what haunted the Sidewinder. Said he'd catched a ride once and near dehydrated hisself pissing his knickers. Managed to hold on while the ol' jalopy spent half a day running over raiders what wiped out a little town of half-a-lumps or somefin.' Said he tried grabbin' the wheel and thought he'd been transported to Hell, hearing screams and smelling burning people-meat and what have you. Spirit of Vengeance in the thing, what he said, but I can't say's as I put much stock in his education. I mean, 'Merica, and post-apocky-lipstick at that." [+1 Benny]

Into the Fire, Vigor 12
Going for the fire. Immune to the base Fatigue and Wounds, but accepting 2 Wounds (soakable) for No Matter the Cost.

No Matter the Cost offsets -4 Scene Modifier. Vigor is 1d6+2

Vigor [dice]8[/dice] = Ace! [dice]10[/dice] = Success + 2 Raises!
Wild [dice]9[/dice]

+1 Benny, ignore the Fatigue and Wounds from No Matter the Cost. [dice]11[/dice] refugees saved, and [dice]12[/dice] for reward = Weapons and ammo worth [dice]13[/dice] x100,000 = $2 million
After catching sight of Tara Black's backside, Vik spends the next few minutes comparing it in his mind to Charlize's ... which leads to some rather involved thoughts about what the three of them might get up to if Tara were to perhaps show up at Fort Hope sometime in the future ...

He's shaken from this pleasant reverie when someone else mentions a fire.

"Well, right, I suppose, but burnin' generally ain't a factor with proper lubri ... Oy, is that towering wall of flame heading our way? With little bitty peoples runnin' about screamin' and whatnot? Well, ain't that the vicar's whiskers."

Looking around for suitable tools, Vik spies Thomas's shadow cloak lying atop a rock where the mage set it to dry after the sweaty ride on Toad's howdah.

"Back in a tick, Tommy. Forgot me towel, all unprepared like, but this oughta do!" he says, grabbing the cloak and running into the blaze, his armor lending a bounce to his step as he hauls one, then another refugee from the flames.

"Oy, Tom, good thing this thing's black! Bit a smoke damage is all, come right out in the wash. Prob'ly. Maybe," he says, after using the cloak to shield a pair of children from the fire.

Vik's final save is an old woman, wrapped in layers of colorful robes, whose family had been hauling her along on an anti-grav storage container used as a sort of makeshift stretcher.

"Aren't you a nice boy," she says, patting his hand as they reach safety. "Smell nice, too, manly, not like some puffed-up peacock who moisturizes more than my fool grandaughter."

She looks sourly at Thomas as the shadowcloak is returned, then pats the storage container she'd been laying on.

"Have a look inside my goody box here, nice man, and see if there's not something inside that tickles your fancy. You're welcome to it -- I suppose it's time for this old lady to get out of the gun-running business. Them damn Naruni have taken all the fun out of it."

Skeptical, Vik pops open the latches on the container then yelps in surprise as he uncovers what looks to be $2 million in assorted arms and ammunition. His eyes sparkle like a child at Christmas as he snatches a compact, mean-looking rifle covered in arcane sigils from the top of the pile.

"Ruddy dingle-puppets, is this a R5000 Magma Blaster? The Founder's Edition? Them Red River Combine boys are right arseholes, but they know their business, the knobbers. I could kiss ya, Gran, but I don't know where them lips has been, and Charlie'll be cross if I come home with the lip herpes. But we'll put these shooters to use, right what, and tell them as we're shooting who to thank."
Guns, Guns, Guns!
Vik will claim a:
Trek47.png
TW Founder's Edition Magma Blaster
When something needs blasted with the fires of Hades, the Red River Combine's patented Founder's Edition Magma Blaster does the trick with gusto! Whether in single-shot, three-round burst or full-auto, this beauty will fill the air with super-heated balls of tungsten alloy angrier than a menopausal Mt. St. Helens! Equipped with RRC's patented GhosTek Tactical Combat Optic, Extended Efficiency Eldritch Magazine (EEEC) and Rock-n-Roller Recoil Reduction, it can also fire Low-Flo Solidifier rounds to hold your target in place with hardened steel!
TW Magma Blaster: Range 12/24/48; Damage 1-3d8+2; ROF 3; AP 2; Shots 50; Weight 70; SA, 3RB, +2 to hit; Trapping-Fire (magma) +2 AP; Rock-and-Roll Edge; entangle (activated on attack), detect arcana, farsight; 10 PPE reservoir; costs 4 PPE to load.

Base Item: TX-30 Ion Pulse Rifle = 75k
TW Conversion: = 7.5k
Minor: +1 damage = 5k
Minor: +1 damage = 5k
Major: Trapping-Fire (+2 AP) 5k
Major: Edge - Rock and Roll = 40k
Major: Detect Arcana power = 20k
Major: Farsight power = 40k
Major: Entangle power (activates with Shooting attack) = 100k
Major: 10 PPE = 30k

Total = 327.5k

If no one else wants anything, that leaves $1,672,500 in arms and armor in the cache, which equals 557.5 Military Resources.
Vik Donnager
Quick Stats
Human Techno-Wizard
Adventure Cards:

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

OOC Comments
Vigor versus terrible trip I will post some whining about this
Vigor [dice]0[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]1[/dice]
Dramatic Task
In the Fight +0
Base Power Points [dice]2[/dice]
Agility [dice]3[/dice]
Wild [dice]4[/dice]

Fatigue [dice]5[/dice]
Wounds [dice]6[/dice]

Failure: The hero generally succeeds, but not without a grave cost or an unfortunate delay. Suffer 1 Wound (Soakable) which is outside the Golden Hour. You rescue 1d4 refugees.

Refugees Saved [dice]7[/dice]
This whole riding thing sucks, why cannot these people for once just get a proper transport. At a certain point the morons in charge must have realized they are only wasting resources for battles that finished weeks before they showed up, when proper capitalism and a solid understanding of economic theory says investing in areas of return will work better. Then they could have the right gear and appropriate rides for their travel. Maybe even then they could show up to a battle not lost a month before, maybe to a battle only lost a couple days before.

This ride was miserable anyways. The smell of that horrid beast was enough if Thomas thought Karsk would not eat his heart he would order the beast to charge off a cliff. The cart behind it smelled even worse and the things piss was like watching a river form. The dull mist was making his clothes damp and uncomfortable so he had to take off his cloak to dry out.

Seeing the fire Thomas looks over towards the shelter and jumps starting to grab his stuff and make a run for it, when his most expensive and favorite toy is snatched right out from under his hands. Vik was to fast and soon off into the fire trying to help people. "Damn you people, are you stupid there is shelter right over there. We can make it in no time." But his words are lost in the roar as a near by explosion sends debris crashing into him and knocking him down.

Staggering back to his feat Thomas says. "That is it, I have had it with this insanity." Then with some arcane words not often used and a fair bit of concentration his body begins to grow and change. Within a matter of only moments suddenly a giant 50' dragon is standing where Thomas was. "Why must we always take the hardest route." he says, somehow his voice while deeper maintaining the whiny tenor the others have come to expect.

Launching into the the fire laced buildings Thomas found the flames no longer bothered him and it was much easier to simply take the roofs off and lift out the people inside than it was to work terribly hard at sneaking through them. But each person he brought out had to be shielded by one of his wings to prevent them from burning themselves.

As the team was finished and gathering up afterwards Thomas was surprised to see Vik leave his cloak for him and the woman's offer to share her inventory with them, and even him in particular. Perhaps it was a trick of some sort, or maybe some times of leverage to be had. Thinking fast he looked inside for an appropriate weapon and went for it. "If it's all right I would love this?" His words still a little guarded he pulls out what he assumes is a fine weapon of excellent make.

When it is all said and done Thomas is tired, wounded and more than a little fed up. But something still appears to be wrong. Looking at the family and their two children he saved from the building his eyes start itching, and his stomach feels funny. There must be poison in the food he requisitioned because this is the second time in two weeks he has had this strange felling in his stomach. Maybe he should worn the others? No, he better keep it to himself and be sure first.
Loot Shared from Vik
The Vampires Slayer 3,000:
  • Base Item: Wilk’s 237
  • Range: 18/36/72
  • Damage: 2d6+1
  • RoF: 2
  • AP: 2
  • Payload: 24
  • Weight: 3
  • Base Cost: 18,000 = Total Cost: 179,800 credits
  • Notes: Semi-Auto, 3RB
  • Enchantments: (1,800)
    • m +1 Shooting (5,000)
    • m +1 Shooting (5,000)
    • M +1 Die Shooting (10,000)
    • M +1 Die Shooting (10,000)
    • M Bolt (Sunlight trapped Lasers) (20,000)
    • M Deflection (100,000,
      activated with shooting roll)
    • M 10 PPE (30,000)
    • M 10 PPE (30,000)
Bennies 1

-1 Fatigue
PPE
Special Abilities:
Karsk

Post by Karsk »

OOC Comments
Common knowledge
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]

Travel
Toad made the roll previously - will link

Into the frying pan
Loyal hindrance with the group going in - he's not so fussed on Vik and Thomas, but Charlamagne will

Going all in using Toad
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]

Toad - raise
vigour [dice]4[/dice]

soak fatigue
[dice]10[/dice]

soak [dice]5[/dice] wounds

fatigue [dice]7[/dice]
wounds [dice]8[/dice]
extra fatigue

save [dice]11[/dice] refugees

Seeing Charlemagne rush into the fire, Karsk and Toad follow in. Whilst Karsk did not care much for these people, Charlemagne did. Toad stomped his way through as Karsk brought up water through the ground, opening up spaces to escape.

"Get onboard Toad. Karsk told the group of refugees he found.
Ashley Logan

Post by Ashley Logan »

Ashley keeps to herself through most of the trip. When they stop to rest, she practices with her weird tech-wizard rifle, spattering bursts of sharpened icicles and water around the target areas. Anyone straying close can hear the tinny, muted sounds of music from around her earbuds as she rests her head against one of the armored windows and just watches the landscape scroll on by.

It's best, she finds, not to get too involved in things. Her job's pretty simple most of the time. Why complicate it by poking her nose into arguments or issues that don't really concern her? That was a good way to end up with a melted ATV.

If nothing else, Ash had a pretty chill, relaxing time in the journey. She almost didn't even notice the smoke...

When the other sprang into action though, she was only a step behind them. Ahead, the world had become a hellish inferno. The sky black with soot, and the ground a constant blaze of orange and red.

"Let me go first," Ashley said. "I can't really see through all this, but tell me where the people are and I'll cut through it to them!"

Then she got to work. First, the flames around her and her team withered and died out. As she moved into the conflagration, that kept happening, cutting a safe path through it all. She tried to widen the area she was affecting...stretching herself to her limit. The heat she was drawing away from the fire, dragging into herself...it was heady and exhilarating but through the fierce, primal joy of using her powers was a warning tinge. A feverishness that was stealing in. A reminder that her body could perhaps not absorb infinite flames without consequence.

But she pressed on. A house, blackened by flames and on the verge of collapsing was suddenly freed from the fire engulfing it. A small family emerged from the cellar, bemused at the sudden turn in their fortunes. On spotting Ashley there, they rushed to her, thanking her. In taking refuge down there they'd seen some kind of vault, they told her. Ash thanked them and had them go back along the safe path she'd made, to where other survivors were gathering. The vault itself could wait. There were more fires to put out!

Later...much later...she went back to the old shell of a house. It'd been a long day, and even though her body was tired, her powers were juiced up and singing in her mind from all the heat she'd stolen from the wildfire. Descending into the cellar, she realized it was some kind of bunker or survivalist thing, probably from before the Rifts had come. The vault was a massive thing of hardened steel. It looked like a tank would have trouble getting through it.

Good thing she'd gassed up.

White hot plasma rocketed from her hands, striking with the focused precision of a welding torch. It sliced through the hinges of the thing, then through the locking mechanism. With a telekinetic yank, Ash then ripped the vault door outward, its edges still glowing yellow, to fall into the cellar with a bone-ringing CLANG.

Whoever had lived here had really liked guns. Like...a lot.
Rolls: Notice 3, Vigor 6, Psionics 12
Notice [dice]0[/dice] or [dice]1[/dice]
Vigor -2 [dice]2[/dice] or [dice]3[/dice]
Ace [dice]4[/dice]

Into the Fire rolls: Serious Business (1 Wound; Soakable) +2
Psionics [dice]5[/dice] or [dice]6[/dice]
Extra Effort (benny spent) [dice]9[/dice] (benny regained)
Soak (benny spent) [dice]7[/dice] or [dice]8[/dice] Wound ignored due to success rate, so no soak needed.
Rescued [dice]10[/dice] refugees
Got goody! [dice]11[/dice]
Weapon/Ammo cache worth: [dice]12[/dice]x100,000 credits
1.8 million credits worth of Stuff!
Last edited by Ashley Logan on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:10 am, edited 7 times in total.
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Heroes being Heroic
Common Knowledge - Old Beast
[dice]0[/dice]

WD CK
[dice]1[/dice]

Notice for the fire
[dice]2[/dice]

WD Notice
[dice]3[/dice]

Vigor - Saving the Day (No Matter The Cost) = net zero bonus
[dice]4[/dice]

Ace Vigor with prior
[dice]6[/dice]

Benny EE with Elan and prior
[dice]7[/dice]

WD Vigor
[dice]5[/dice]

Rescued refugees
[dice]8[/dice]

Reward
[dice]9[/dice]

Benny to reroll reward
[dice]10[/dice]

2nd benny to reroll (really?)
[dice]11[/dice]

Enchanted Items table
[dice]12[/dice]

One More Benny
[dice]13[/dice]

Finally! HJ roll - Psionics
[dice]14[/dice]
Charlemagne marvels at the inexplicably operable green-shrouded vehicle. "I've heard a tale of this transport. It nearly flew out of Tolkeen, mowing down an entire CS regiment that had slaughtered a shifter's family. The mighty beast caught air, a blast of its horn shouting a reveille to wake the dead, and punched a hole through two gigantic Enforcer armors. The Spirit therein fed on many vile souls who had done harm to innocents that day. I had thought it a legend, until now!"

Charlemagne has begun to learn the art of blocking out Vik's inane babble and Thomas' nigh-constant bellyaching about this or that. But his senses weren't dulled when the fire was spotted. Like a shot, he was out of the howdah and into the air, looking for a way around or through. His sight is drawn to a group of people encircled by flame. With not a second thought, he dives straight for the imperiled group. He announces into his comms. "We have innocents stranded in the midst of the flames. I am initiating rescue! Ashley, Karsk, see what you can do to reduce the flames. Vik..." But before he could issue a command, the incomprehensible lout was charging headlong into the inferno himself. "Good work. Keep at it! We must save these people!" While his armor was proof versus the fire and smoke, the people were not so fortunate. Seeing wisdom in using his natural gifts to their full advantage, he picked up as many as he could, one or two at a time, and flew over and above the conflagration. He made multiple such trips, saving six innocent lives while his team worked towards the same goal.
Charlemagne
Charlemagne
Current Status Post
Current Status:
Adventure Cards:
  • Sudden Death:
    Deadly Blow:
  • Barrier
  • +8 Armor
  • +2 Toughness