12. My Cousin Deezy

Pursuit
Game Master

12. My Cousin Deezy

Post by Pursuit »

All Rise!
Tyraxas, Norona, Kuikku and Sierra may enter the scene at this point if they choose to. Feel free to narrate your entrances in your post.

The Trial Begins: Round 1 (of 3)

Simmons sits down and, without any pomp or ceremony, says, “Proceed,” beginning the trial.

Ford nods, steps forward, and says, “Thank you, Commander Simmons. We will do our best to be brief this morning.”

Ford approaches Simmons’ table, and says, “Of course, there are many logistical issues to address in this case, but the most pressing would be better explained by my associate.”

Ford defers to his Trimadore companion, who gets up and says, “Commander, it’s good to see you again.”

She nods, acknowledging the new speaker, “Harsion. Go ahead.”

The Trimadore smiles. “Thank you. As you know, we took some time to observe the scene of Lincoln’s murder, and we found some highly unusual spectral readings. They were unlike anything one normally sees, even from magical fire.”

Harsion holds up a tablet, displaying some charts and data, before continuing, “Now, something that is not commonly known about Techno-Wizards is that we can create devices that mimic pretty much any type of paranormal activity, given the right resources.”

“As you are no doubt aware, the Tomorrow Legion returned from an earlier encounter in the swamp with a veritable treasure trove of gear and assorted materielle from a skirmish with a group of demons. They sold much of this equipment to Lincoln. Most of it was mundane, but at least one item had a very magical nature, and all of it reeked of extra-planar energy.”

“Given her level of skill, it would have been a minor thing for Deezy to use some of the components leftover from her team’s encounter with the demons to rig up a device that mimicked the spectral look and feel of demon fire. And, in my professional opinion, I would say she’s likely the only other person for about fifty miles who could do something like this.”

Simmons turns to Deezy and says, “Okay, then, Deezy. You and yours may go next. What do you have to say about this evidence?”
K/Arcana 12
Harsion K/Arcana [dice:153qz4se]50660:0[/dice:153qz4se]
Wild [dice:153qz4se]50660:1[/dice:153qz4se]
Extra Effort [dice:153qz4se]50660:4[/dice:153qz4se]

Ford to support w/Persuasion [dice:153qz4se]50660:2[/dice:153qz4se]
Wild [dice:153qz4se]50660:3[/dice:153qz4se]
+3 to support Harsion
Your Turn

Okay, now it’s time for you to rebut! For this round, either Knowledge (Arcana) or a similar Knowledge skill must be the lead skill. Anyone may support with any other skill that seems appropriate, to a maximum of +4 to the lead roll. The other side set the TN of 12.

If someone other than Deezy wants to take the lead, you certainly can. Just make sure you work it out beforehand and put it in your post.

Remember, anyone who uses Persuasion should add a +2 charisma bonus for how popular you guys are in town.

There will be three rounds; whichever side accumulates the most successes in those three rounds will be the victor! Remember, particularly clever arguments may merit you a +2, while very poor or easily disproven arguments will impose a -2. Good luck!
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Deezy Klatta
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Re: 12. My Cousin Deezy

Post by Deezy Klatta »

Deezy sat up, then stood up, a thin, gangly red-haired dandelion festooned in pouches and gizmos with a pair of goggles parked unsteadily atop her head.

"Oh, sorry. I was waiting for the, you know, actual evidence."

She rolled her eyes.

"Look, his theory fails the exclusivity test big time. COULD a technomancer have done it? Sure. By that logic, anyone who ever died without witnesses was killed by the nearest technomancer though. That's what we DO. We make things that do things! Any kind of thing! If he'd been stung to death by BEES I could have done it! Heck, I can think of like ten ways I could have done that right now! Look out! Any random person who dies from a heart attack, just blame Deezy from now on!"

"The POINT is that that's not evidence. EVIDENCE is if you FIND things, or SEE things, or MEASURE things, or if you can FIND someone ELSE who saw things. 'I don't know how it happened, so it must have been a technomancer' isn't just not evidence, it's LAZY. Frankly, it's even kind of insulting! If you really wanted to pin this on me, you could have! Instead there's just this. Okay."

She yanked her goggles off her head and fiddled with them. "Someone hold up a...sheet of paper or something. Or a screen? I need to project something! Real EVIDENCE. Sheesh. Nevermind, the wall's good."

Aiming the TIAMAT goggles at the wall behind the bench, she operated some tiny controls, and the lenses lit up. Two beams of light shot out, projecting the internal HUD onto the wall.

"This is when I went to the murder site to do what Ford couldn't be assed to do," Deezy said. "Pardon my Techno-can. That squiggle there is the thaumic trace, showing a dimensional resonance effect." Abruptly she pointed at Ford without looking at him. "BEFORE YOU SAY IT, yes, I could have made a gun that had that trace. Not the point. It's the falloff graph that's important. This thing."

She waved her hand in front of the lenses so the shadow of her finger showed another little graph. "That's the rate of decay of the local PPE disruption. Based on that sample, this happened while me and my team were in the swamp, blowing a huge HOLE in the HEAD of a giant shadow monster, that was...incidentally...trying to kill of y'all. With disease. It's not now, because hole."

"Now THAT is evidence! Ford! You could complain 'oh it's not reliable because the defendant produced it,' but who ELSE was producing anything?! At least I brought SOMETHING! I can't prove that I definitely did NOT do something! I also can't prove fairies didn't do it! Or a god! Or any other technomancer! That's not how EVIDENCE works!"

Deezy flicked her goggles off and jammed them back onto her head.

"Sorry your sir...ma'am...ness. I'm a little torqued off at Ford right now. It's one thing to be accused of something you didn't do. It's another thing to see just...really shoddy worksmanship. If you're going to frame someone..." She glanced back narrowly at Ford. "Do it right."

Rolls: Arcana 11 (before support), 1 benny spent
Knowledge: Arcana [dice:2rcu2ry8]50666:0[/dice:2rcu2ry8] or [dice:2rcu2ry8]50666:1[/dice:2rcu2ry8]
Benny, I spose...
[dice:2rcu2ry8]50666:2[/dice:2rcu2ry8] or [dice:2rcu2ry8]50666:3[/dice:2rcu2ry8]
OOC Comments
Player Name: Salmon Max
Google Handle: samminmax@gmail.com

Character Name: [urk=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php ... =167#p1803]Dorothy Zane “DZ” Klatta[/url]
Race: Human
Iconic Framework: Techno-Wizard
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Charisma: -1; Pace: 6; Parry: 4; Toughness: 12 (6); PPE: 20
Skills:
Knowledge: Arcana d10
Knowledge: Engineering d10 (+1)
Knowledge: Science d6
Knowledge: Electronics d10 (+1)
Repair d10 (+2 Edge, +4 armor (inc TW bonus))
Investigate d6 (+2)
Techno-Wizardry d10
Fighting
Notice
Shooting d6 (+3 w/revolver)

Hindrances
Overconfident (Major): Never give up...NEVER SURRENDER!
Greedy (Minor): Building something like this is going to take a load of bread to capitalize...where’m I gonna get the money?!
Habit (Minor): Too hyperactive!

Edges
Edge: Master of Magic (mega-magic ENGAGE)
Edge: Extra PPE (+5 PPE)
Edge: Mr Fixit (+2 Repair, halve time required on raise)
Edge: Investigator (+2 to Investigate, Streetwise, and Notice to sort through evidence)
Edge: Improved Recharge (recover 1 PPE/.5 hour)

Gizmos (spells):
AEGIS (Active ElectroGravitational Interception System)
Armor (2PPE, +2 armor/+4 on raise, duration 3 (+1/rnd), touch)
Greater Armor (5PPE, +5 MDC armor/+10 on raise, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Omniblaster
Bolt (1PPE/2d6 missile (up to 3), 2PPE/3d6 missile, 12/24/48)
Onslaught (2PPE/3d6MD missile (up to 4), 4PPE/6d6MD missile, 18/36/72)

TIAMAT (Thaumic Imaging And Magical Ambiance Testing)
Detect/Conceal Arcana (2PPE, sense supernatural creatures, objects or effects)
Exalted Detect/Conceal Arcana (4PPE, gain more info, 2PPE to analyze creature)

ROCKET BOOTS (No acronym; just rockets in boots)
Flight (3PPE, fly at Pace; 6PPE, 2x Pace, duration 3 (+1/rnd), touch)
Swift Flight (8PPE, 4x Pace and -1 to be hit; 10PPE 8x Pace and -2 to be hit, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Gear
Triax T-13 Field Mechanic
Armor 6, +1 Toughness, Full environment, 18lbs
Laser Torch, 3d6MD, RoF 1, AP 3, 4/8/16
Extensible Manipulator: Reach 1, Str 1d6, 1d6+1d4 dmg in melee w/laser finger
Optical Enhancements; 10x mag, thermal vision, spectrographic scanner, +2 Repair
10 mile communication, nightvision, loudspeaker, laser rangefinder

TW Revolver
2d6+2 dmg, RoF 1, AP 4, 6 shots, 12/24/48
+1 Shooting skill (Minor TW Augmentation)
2PPE to charge, 2PPE to make Mega-damage

TechnoWizard Specialized Toolkit
I use it for techno things that also involve wizardry.

NG-S2 Survival Pack
2 person tent, +20% water supplies
Sleeping bag
Flashlight w/knife; solar
Inertial compass (+2 to Survival to navigate)
Short range (5 mile) radio
First aid kit (+1 to healing; 3 uses)
Hunting/Fishing kit (+1 to Survival to forage)
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
Survival Knife, hatchet, wooden cross
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations

Credits: 2000
Kuikku

Post by Kuikku »

”Simmons” wrote:“Harsion. Go ahead.”
When Kuikku hears this as he is approaching the door he stops just outside to listen. As he hears the Trimadore speak he rolls his eyes. Eloquent but it has no substance. Not hearing Deezy start her response he gets on the radio. ”That was your que. Say something.”
Deezy Klatta wrote: "Oh, sorry. I was waiting for the, you know, actual evidence."
”No, something about the case.”
Deezy Klatta wrote:"Look, his theory fails the exclusivity test big time. COULD a technomancer have done it? Sure. By that logic, anyone who ever died without witnesses was killed by the nearest technomancer though. That's what we DO. We make things that do things! Any kind of thing! If he'd been stung to death by BEES I could have done it! Heck, I can think of like ten ways I could have done that right now! Look out! Any random person who dies from a heart attack, just blame Deezy from now on!"
”Make a point, don't just rant.”
Deezy Klatta wrote:"The POINT is that that's not evidence. EVIDENCE is if you FIND things, or SEE things, or MEASURE things, or if you can FIND someone ELSE who saw things. 'I don't know how it happened, so it must have been a technomancer' isn't just not evidence, it's LAZY. Frankly, it's even kind of insulting! If you really wanted to pin this on me, you could have! Instead there's just this. Okay."
”Show your scans. Let them see what real evidence looks like..”
Deezy Klatta wrote:"Someone hold up a...sheet of paper or something. Or a screen? I need to project something! Real EVIDENCE. Sheesh. Nevermind, the wall's good. This is when I went to the murder site to do what Ford couldn't be assed to do. Pardon my Techno-can. That squiggle there is the thaumic trace, showing a dimensional resonance effect. BEFORE YOU SAY IT, yes, I could have made a gun that had that trace. Not the point. It's the falloff graph that's important. This thing."

“That's the rate of decay of the local PPE disruption. Based on that sample, this happened while me and my team were in the swamp, blowing a huge HOLE in the HEAD of a giant shadow monster, that was...incidentally...trying to kill of y'all. With disease. It's not now, because hole."[/b]

"Now THAT is evidence! Ford! You could complain 'oh it's not reliable because the defendant produced it,' but who ELSE was producing anything?! At least I brought SOMETHING! I can't prove that I definitely did NOT do something! I also can't prove fairies didn't do it! Or a god! Or any other technomancer! That's not how EVIDENCE works!"
”Your supposed to be talking to Simmons, the judge. Be nice.”

As Deezy finishes up Kuikku steps into the room taking a seat at the back.

+1
Persuasion: [dice:3s3h3t7y]50670:0[/dice:3s3h3t7y]
Wild: [dice:3s3h3t7y]50670:1[/dice:3s3h3t7y]

Extra Effort:
Persuasion: [dice:3s3h3t7y]50670:2[/dice:3s3h3t7y]
Wild: [dice:3s3h3t7y]50670:3[/dice:3s3h3t7y]
Character
Kuikku
Parry: 8
Toughness: 14(6)
Toughness with Cyber-Armor active: 20(8) MDC
Norona

Post by Norona »

K/Arcana 8, +2
K/Arcana [dice:3gjja7ol]50671:0[/dice:3gjja7ol]
Wild [dice:3gjja7ol]50671:1[/dice:3gjja7ol]
Listening to Deezy and the Trimadore explain magic in technical terms makes Norona smirk slightly, This world seeks to describe everything in scientific categories. Even in the face of such tremendous magical wonder. Amazing.

"Commander, if I may," Norona begins. "I have studied magic since before coming to this world. I have researched the libraries of Lazlo and wandered the wilderness seeing what variety and wonders exist. Magic on this world is more diverse than even the ecosystem of this swamp. Yet, the type of Magic used in this crime is not to be described only graphs and energy signatures. It is infernal, demonic, not even your world's technowizards can emulate this power...not unless they are in league with it. Anyone with magical sight can see that Deezy is not in leave with fire and darkness. Although, I wonder if I gaze into the souls of others what I might see?"

He leaves that question hanging with Ford and his advisor more than the judge.
Toshiro 'Cybermonk'

Post by Toshiro 'Cybermonk' »

Harsion wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:00 pm “Now, something that is not commonly known about Techno-Wizards is that we can create devices that mimic pretty much any type of paranormal activity, given the right resources.”
Persuasion 8 - +2 to Deezy
Persuasion [dice:2jt742sn]50690:1[/dice:2jt742sn] (+2 from charismatic, +2 from Relationship with the town)
Wild [dice:2jt742sn]50690:0[/dice:2jt742sn]
Toshiro waits for everyone to make their arguments, hoping that Tyr will show up to translate him rather than forcing him to rely on Ford, now that proceedings are underway. He thinks Ford will translate honestly, but better safe than sorry.

When everyone else is done, Toshiro stands, bowing respectfully to the commander and waiting to be granted permission to...well, not speak.

When Simmon's acknowledges him, Toshiro jacks into the display system rigged up for the trial and begins to play a video.

It is a scene familiar to everyone, as it just happened a few minutes ago. Harsion is talking animatedly, making his argument to Simmons. There is no audio, as Toshiro had no means of recording it, but luckily the Trimadore is one to talk with his hands.

At one point in the video, one that hopefully everyone remembers as Harsion explaining technowizards mimicking paranormal signatures, the Trimadore motions his hand back and forth between him and Deezy. Toshiro's sets this couple of seconds up on a loop, then minimizes the video to take up only a fraction of the screen, using the rest to display typed text.

"We" is what Harsion said when referring to Techno-wizards. "We can create devices the mimic paranormal activity". If being a techno-wizard condemns Deezy, it just as clearly condemns Harsion. Surely demon technology is not so rare...especially to the black market...that our encounter in the jungle would make us the only people with the necessary parts to make a fake demonic magic.

Toshiro stands for a moment, inviting any rebuttal. When any questions have been answered he nods respectively again toward the judge, and takes his seat.
OOC Comments
Toshiro's Character Sheet
Wounds: 0/4; Fatigue: 0/3; [/size]

Parry: 5 (+4 from chip and sword)[/size]
Toughness: 23(12 MDC)[/size]
Active Effects
Chips: +3DT Fighting +1DT Electronics
Sword: +2 DT Fighting, Absorption (Metal and Kinetic), +2 DT Strength [/size]

Notable Edges: Woodsman, Quick, Brawny, I know a Guy, Nerves of Steel, Danger Sense, Improved Arcane Resistance, Ace, Combat Ace, Elan[/size]

Bennies: 1/3 [/size]
-1 for shooting reroll
+1 for commiting near suicide (being outside the vehicle)
-2 for agility rerolls

Edit Signature
Sierra Mackenzie

Post by Sierra Mackenzie »

Persuasion 7 Crit Fail
+2 with Avanzada Seca
Persuasion [dice:3hx4m04u]50720:0[/dice:3hx4m04u]
Wild [dice:3hx4m04u]50720:1[/dice:3hx4m04u]
Dinosaur Swamp/Avanzada Seca
Morning
Round 0

Sierra slipped late into the trial as Ford and Harrison were finishing up. She wore a slinky, sexy red dress that showed off her curves to full effect, and heels. Why she had brought a dress like that to the jungle, who knows? She was a bit disappointed not to see a jury she could entice and distract to their side. Just the old Judge Simmons. Doubtful she’d get a lusty look from that dried up crone.

Sierra caught the prosecution’s reasoning and frowned. There was that odd energy signal again. Could Deezy have been right? No. Sierra was just...normal, except that she could light things on fire with her mind.

Deezy showed the resonance signature she had found. Graphs like that really meant nothing to Sierra. Finally Norona and Toshiro stood up to speak.

Sierra took a breath. Time to flash some T&A and convince the local yokels. Should she cry? Tears often worked.

Sierra stood up, walked toward the front, and started speaking.

“This is all highly speculative. We only have Harrison’s word on this supposed...signature. I mean, he’s hardly impartial. He’s Mr. Ford’s little toady, right? This isn’t evidence. It’s a frame up. As Toshiro said, anyone could have done this.”

As Sierra took a turn, the heel of her shoe caught in a knot hole in the floorboards. She gave a yelp, her arms pinwheeling, as she toppled over, falling out of her dress a bit.

“God fucking damnit!” Sierra cursed as everyone laughed at her. Her flames flared up, scorching the wooden, burning away some of her dress. The villagers watching gasped in fear.

And then Deezy’s goggles started beeping. The projected a second graph onto the wall, registering Sierra’s particularly signature, overlaying it with the evidence she had presented, showing Sierra had the same para-dimensional signature as the fire that killed Lincoln.
Everything Burns
[dice:3hx4m04u]50720:2[/dice:3hx4m04u]
3-10: Anything highly flammable burns.
6-10: Anything flammable burns.
8-9: Water boils away over [dice:3hx4m04u]50720:3[/dice:3hx4m04u] rounds.
10: Anything not flammable burns or melts (metal, stone, ceramic, etc) and water superheats and evaporates immediately.
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Parry: 5; Toughness: 13(6)
Encumbrance: 25/28
Battle Hardened (armor): +2 to Soak
Combat Reflexes (armor): +2 to Unshake
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
Improved Nerves of Steel (armor): Ignore 2 points of Wound penalties
Liquid Courage: Vigor d10, Toughness: 8, ignore 1 point of Wounds (1 hour)
Read the Flames
Respect: +2 Charisma bonus when dealing with residents of Avanzada Seca
SLOOT Suit: Armor can become transparent.
ISP: 35/40 (5 locked for armor)
Bennies: 3/3
Adventure Card
  • Tale Teller: Your hero must tell a story of his group’s deeds to an audience of some sort (roleplay this) and make a Persuasion roll. If successful, the listeners become friendly and helpful to the entire party.
  • Parley: All characters cease fighting and listen to the hero speak for at least 30 seconds. Others may only take defensive actions during this time. This has no effect on beasts and other creatures that cannot understand the speaker.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Playing villainous verbosity
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=82#p5601
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

GM Mini Post:

Ford cannot help but smirk at Sierra's display, and the resulting data being projected for all to see. Confidence emanates from him, so tangible it could be physical force.

Jareb
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Jareb »

Jareb raises an eye brow at the proceedings. Something about them felt off, even his ally Deezy seemed more crazied than usual. Seeing Serria go off like a hot hooker took the cake and the angel decided now was the time to go a different direction. He leaned in covering his mouth, as he had once seen ball players do, quietly telling @Kuikku ” I have my radio. Comm me if things turn for the worse. I need to check on something.” He gives Deezy a stiff smile wishing he could tell her it would be ok. He then as softly as he can gathers Gift in his hands and turns to his quarry: The Grackle named Ma’arlys. The time for foes is at an end. I must let her do what she will if I am to unravel the mysteries of this trial.

The Angle approaches the female grackletooth with baby softly cooing in one hand, his sword scabbered at his hip, and his other hand stretched out in friendship. Softly not wanting to startle her he says simply, ” I am sorry. This baby was meant for you, someone heroic, and someone worthy of being her protector. I confess knowing she was meant for you made me want to be a better person. She and you helpped me see the troubled path I had traveled down and eventually find the good path.” Jareb stares her directly in the eyes, ” Now again I need your help. I ask for it. My and your calling is not here at the trial but uncovering what happened to your ranger. Somehow I feel the two to be connected. Will you help me help you? “ Jareb pulls gift to his lips and kisses the child softly, ”No matter your answer if you wish to claim the title of protector of the child I will give her over. Not that I am tired or think I am ill equiped.” Jareb looks at Gift with eyes of mirth and hapiness, ” I love her, and wish her to be with the one she was meant to be with.”

No matter the outcome if Jareb is able to catch @Toshiro 'Cybermonk' eye he signs: Ranger!
OOC Comments
[dice:3qw4rs0o]50757:0[/dice:3qw4rs0o] wild [dice:3qw4rs0o]50757:1[/dice:3qw4rs0o] EF cause I got 6 bennies: [dice:3qw4rs0o]50757:2[/dice:3qw4rs0o]
Jareb Combat data
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d8 (d10), Vigor d8, -2 to be hit from range via improved dodge.
Charisma: 0; Pace: 4; Parry: 8 ; Toughness: 16(10); Strain: 0,PPE:20/9
Combat edges:
  • Quick- redraw on 5 or less
    Elan
Command edges:
  • Command: +1 to unshake in command radius
    Hold the line: +1 toughness to troops under their command
    Natural Leader: Can share bennies with those under his command,
Active Powers and other bonuses:
[/list]
Bennies
5/3
+1 lucky
+1 high post rate
+1 good rp
-1 speaking sign language
-2 bennies for swamp
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

As Jameson and Conrad watched the proceedings, they seem a little rude as the two of them are fiddling with a bit of kit.

As it happens, they are tuning a transmitter to pick up what Ford is saying with a recorder.
OOC Comments
linked to villainous verbosity
Norona

Post by Norona »

Despite the circumstances, Norona cracks a smile. He knows Sierra to be innocent and through that lens her display looks more like bumbling than guilt. Perfectly in line for who she is.

His mirth turns to sadness as he considers not being able to travel with the group once they leave the swamps. It is a noble calling but it may be a lonely one.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Results of Round 1

The group amassed a total of 15 (16 total including Deezy and support rolls, but then -1 for Sierra's crit fail) vs. the other side's TN of 12, which means you earned one success in proving that Deezy is innocent!

Round 2 (of 3)

Ford is practically giddy as he sees Sierra's mishap. He leans in to whisper something to Catherine, and then stands up to say, "See? This is exactly what I'm talking about. What are the odds that the burster just happens to have the same extra-dimensional energy as what we found at the site?!

Commander Simmons moves to get a word in edge-wise, but Ford continues, "This just proves it! He looks right at @Sierra Mackenzie, and says, "Miss Mackenzie, would you like to come clean now? Or would you prefer to let your friend continue to twist in the wind?"

Then, remembering himself, he looks to the judge. "I mean.. ah, Deezy. Would Deezy like to come clean, now?"

Simmons is unmoved by his correction. "Just what do you think you are doing, here, Ford? The defendant is over there! And Harsion just told us all that there wasn't another person around for miles who could do this, and then Sierra gets up and spectacularly proves you all wrong. And they're right: if Deezy could do it, what's to stop Harsion or one of the Market's other Techno-Wizards from doing it, too? This seems more likely to be Black Market infighting than a Tomorrow Legion wizard gone crazy."

To Sierra, she says, "And you! I'm gonna need an explanation, here. Why does it look like you are all of a sudden my number one suspect?"

Villainous Verbosity
Conrad's adventure card made Ford too anxious! He forgot he was supposed to be prosecuting Deezy and stumbled pretty badly in front of the judge. He skips his whole turn this round, so any successes the team racks up will be unchallenged. Remember, this is technically still a trial for Deezy, but Sierra is obviously in the spotlight right now.

Ford didn't set you up with a topic, so feel free to respond to the above goings on with the skill and roll you find most appropriate.
For Conrad
Ford whispers "I told you this would work! Let me know what she's thinking. Now's the moment!"
For Sierra
Make a Smarts roll at TN 9 to resist mind walk.
For Jareb
I'll get another thread going for you soon, but you can assume Ma'arlys will go with you. Hang tight!

Deezy Klatta
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Deezy Klatta »

"I can help with that," Deezy sighs irritably. "Dimensional resonance isn't like a fingerprint. It tells you if psychic or parapsychic energy is derived from a dimension other than this one, but that doesn't tell you precisely who it's from. So you can use it to DISprove someone...because if they don't have that dimensional resonance, it can't have been them...but you can't use it to PROVE someone, because anyone drawing energy from a particular dimension will have the same resonance!"

She makes some more adjustments, then projects TIAMAT's findings again.

"There are individual variations...and my analysis shows that the murderer wasn't Sierra...but could have been someone with the same dimension of origin, OR, someone intentionally altering the characteristics of their PPE trace to appear to be Sierra, and only getting it a little wrong."

She shrugs. "I'd need more time to figure out which. I woulda done it by now but, you know...triiiiiiiiial."

Knowledge: Arcana [dice:3lmrmzbe]51396:0[/dice:3lmrmzbe] or [dice:3lmrmzbe]51396:1[/dice:3lmrmzbe]
Hahaha, not a crit! I can benny it!
[dice:3lmrmzbe]51396:2[/dice:3lmrmzbe] or [dice:3lmrmzbe]51396:3[/dice:3lmrmzbe]
Last edited by Deezy Klatta on Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OOC Comments

Character Name: [urk=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php ... =167#p1803]Dorothy Zane “DZ” Klatta[/url]
Skills:
Investigate d6 (+2)
Techno-Wizardry d10
Fighting
Notice

Hindrances
Greedy (Minor): Building something like this is going to take a load of bread to capitalize...where’m I gonna get the money?!

Edges
Edge: Investigator (+2 to Investigate, Streetwise, and Notice to sort through evidence)

Gizmos (spells):

Omniblaster

Swift Flight (8PPE, 4x Pace and -1 to be hit; 10PPE 8x Pace and -2 to be hit, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Gear
Optical Enhancements; 10x mag, thermal vision, spectrographic scanner, +2 Repair

TW Revolver

NG-S2 Survival Pack
Sleeping bag
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations

Sierra Mackenzie

Smarts 10
Smarts [dice:2o18rt5l]51398:0[/dice:2o18rt5l]
Wild [dice:2o18rt5l]51398:1[/dice:2o18rt5l]
Extra Effort [dice:2o18rt5l]51398:2[/dice:2o18rt5l]
Morning
Round 0

Sierra gathered up what remained of her dress. At least it hadn’t burned away completely. She stared in surprise at the display from Deezy’s goggles. “Well, shit,” she muttered.

"Miss Mackenzie, would you like to come clean now? Or would you prefer to let your friend continue to twist in the wind?" Ford demanded. "I mean.. ah, Deezy. Would Deezy like to come clean, now?"

Sierra looked at Ford as the judge gives him a dressing down.

Then Commander Simmons turned to Sierra. "And you! I'm gonna need an explanation, here. Why does it look like you are all of a sudden my number one suspect?"

“I have no idea!” Sierra said, but Deezy went into an explanation.

“So really, anyone could have done it,” Sierra summed up. “I mean, even some strange guy just...wandering through town, you know?” The truth never came easy to Sierra, especially as it might mean revealing her million credit swindle of the team. “Maybe Lincoln wasn’t the stand up guy everyone thought he was. He was Black Market, after all.” She gave Ford a hard look.
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Read the Flames
Adventure Card
  • Tale Teller: Your hero must tell a story of his group’s deeds to an audience of some sort (roleplay this) and make a Persuasion roll. If successful, the listeners become friendly and helpful to the entire party.
  • Parley: All characters cease fighting and listen to the hero speak for at least 30 seconds. Others may only take defensive actions during this time. This has no effect on beasts and other creatures that cannot understand the speaker.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

@Sierra Mackenzie Can tell that someone in the room just attempted to use some kind of psionic power to invade her mind and read her thoughts!
Support
If you want to also use a skill to support Deezy in Round 2, you can do so. You don't need to (Ford isn't "playing" this round anyway), but you're welcome to.

Norona

Post by Norona »

Norona is perplexed as the normally cool Ford goes off script. To see him make such a mistake is baffling, but Deezy's dimensional resonance tirade makes the elf even more perplexing. The human tendency to reduce everything to the empirical is perhaps their greatest trait and greatest flaw. It certainly fuels their natural inquisitiveness allowing them to accomplish great things but it made for dizzying babble when describing the arcane world.

Nonetheless, the elf-scholar adds his own reflections to the mix.

"Whether a technical explanation or a mystical one. It certainly does appear someone has intentionally masked their magic to appear as another."

K/Arcana 5
K/Arcana [dice:26antmm3]51514:0[/dice:26antmm3]
Wild [dice:26antmm3]51514:1[/dice:26antmm3]
Sierra Mackenzie

Morning
Round 0

Sierra felt a tickle and scratched the back of her head. That felt...oddly familiar. She remembered when she’d first joined the Legion they’d had someone reading her mind during her interview. It felt a lot like that. She scanned over the crowd to see if she could detect who might have done it.
Rolls
Sorry. I forgot to make a Persuasion roll last post. I’ll include a Notice in this one for trying to find the culprit.
Notice 4
Notice [dice:temwwiwt]51523:0[/dice:temwwiwt]
Wild [dice:temwwiwt]51523:1[/dice:temwwiwt]
Persuasion 8; rolled a 1 on the Persuasion die though.
+2 with town residents
Persuasion [dice:temwwiwt]51523:2[/dice:temwwiwt]
Wild [dice:temwwiwt]51523:3[/dice:temwwiwt]
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Read the Flames
Adventure Card
Kuikku

Post by Kuikku »

Kuikku shakes his head as he stands up. ”If it please the court. Putting all this mystical information to the side for a moment mister Ford has all but admitted he knows Deezy is innocent. This entire accusation appears to be some Machiavellian attempt to force a confession from someone else. It appears he would like a confession from miss Mackenzie but I am willing to bet he would accept a confession from me if it fit his purposes.”

Looking directly at Catherine he continues. ”As a matter of fact an associate of miss Harison's has already told me that the death of Lincoln was part of a plot to remove mister Ford from the area so they could take over.”

Turning back to Commander Simmons Kuikku concludes. ”I move that this case be dismissed immediately and that mister Ford be barred from filing any further accusations until he has evidence of who actually did it as opposed to who may have done it.”

Persuasion: 8
+2 Cyber Knight, +2 saved town,
Persuasion: [dice:27dj4gyy]51534:0[/dice:27dj4gyy]
Wild: [dice:27dj4gyy]51534:1[/dice:27dj4gyy]
Character
Kuikku
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Alternate Thread

For @Jareb and @Toshiro 'Cybermonk' (and anyone else who wants to go), here’s a buddy cop thread to try and track down information about a dead Ranger instead of sticking out the trial: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3743

Toshiro 'Cybermonk'

Post by Toshiro 'Cybermonk' »

Persuasion 6 or Intimidate 3
Persuasion (+2 Charisma) [dice:1x64zde3]51637:0[/dice:1x64zde3]
Wild [dice:1x64zde3]51637:1[/dice:1x64zde3]

Intimidation (-2 unskilled) [dice:1x64zde3]51637:2[/dice:1x64zde3]
Ace! [dice:1x64zde3]51637:4[/dice:1x64zde3]
Wild [dice:1x64zde3]51637:3[/dice:1x64zde3]
Toshiro lets out a silent exasperated sigh at Sierra's display. Though he lacks any knowledge of arcane abilities, even he can tell that the readings from the goggles seem to implicate Sierra.

Frustrated by his inability to help, Toshiro jumps at the chance to leave the proceedings and do something more productive. He follows the angel out of the room, pausing only for a moment in front Ford. He locks eyes with the black market frontman.

I see what you intended in accusing Deezy now. I had hoped you had more sensible reasons. Toshiro relaxes a bit, and his countenance softens. Sierra my not be completely innocent. None of us really are. But she did not commit Lincoln's murder. His face hardens, and he continues. But if you have some ulterior motives till for going after Sierra.... we won't let you succeed if it harms her or this town.

Stop him now.... Retribution whispers in Toshiro's mind. To his surprise, Toshiro catches his right hand halfway toward the sword hilt. He tries to disguise the motion, scratching at his lower back instead. He holds Ford's eyes for a moment longer and then turns to the door and leaves.
OOC Comments
Toshiro's Character Sheet
Wounds: 0/4; Fatigue: 0/3; [/size]

Parry: 5 (+4 from chip and sword)[/size]
Toughness: 23(12 MDC)[/size]
Active Effects
Chips: +3DT Fighting +1DT Electronics
Sword: +2 DT Fighting, Absorption (Metal and Kinetic), +2 DT Strength [/size]

Notable Edges: Woodsman, Quick, Brawny, I know a Guy, Nerves of Steel, Danger Sense, Improved Arcane Resistance, Ace, Combat Ace, Elan[/size]

Bennies: 1/3 [/size]
-1 for shooting reroll
+1 for commiting near suicide (being outside the vehicle)
-2 for agility rerolls

Edit Signature
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Simmons stands up. “Okay, I’ve heard enough.” To Ford, she says, “Thaniel, I don’t know what game you’re playing, exactly, but you’re done playing it on my time. This case is dismissed until further notice, and I now have another murder in my Outpost that needs my attention.”

Not one to stand on ceremony, Simmons simply walks out, not really giving anyone else the opportunity to say anything.

Ford is left there, a look of surprise on his face, and then he smiles and shakes his head. “Well, that didn’t go quite as planned, did it?” To Catherine, he says, “Please go see if Parker needs anything. Maybe we can still salvage this.”

To the rest of the group, he says, “You didn’t do terribly. You didn’t do terribly well, either, but then again, neither did I. I feel like I’m chasing my own tail a bit, here.”

To Sierra, “You’re still not telling everything you know. None of you are. Someone in this town killed that boy, and one of you knows who and why.”

Harsion gets up, too, standing behind Ford. “What about the Ranger?” he asks, leaning down.

Ford shakes his head, “Not us, I don’t think. Besides,” he looks up at the team again, “I think some of our new friends are already tracking that particular lead down.”

At that moment, an attractive woman walks it, a wide, patronizing grin on her face. “Well, I think I could watch that over and over all day. You usually don’t fall on your face quite so spectacularly, do you?”
Lexie Brass, Norona’s Connection
To the team, she gives a little bow, and a little wink to Norona. “Friends, eh? Any benefits, there?”

Ford rolls his eyes. “A little on the nose there, Lexie. Even for you.

She just keeps on grinning. “Here’s something on the nose, Thaniel.” She leans in and whispers, just loud enough for anyone nearby to hear, “You’re. Going. To. Blow. Up. For Garnet Town.” She pats him on the chest.

“Only I don’t have a nexus to work with, so it’s just good, old fashioned explosives.” She smiles again, that cheshire grin. “Good luck.

And with that, she winks away, like she wasn’t even there.

Ford swears eloquently, and turns to you.

“Not a lot of time to explain, here. Garnet Town was a Market deal that got… out of hand. Long story. The point is, she’s planted bombs, likely here in this building. Not a lot to work with, here. Three stories and a basement; we’ll take the top story. You all search the rest of the building, disarm anything you find, if you can. That seems like it would be well within your capacity, given what we know about you.”

“I’ll radio my associates outside, but Lexie is definitely running, and once she gets out of town, there’s likely to be no finding her. Maybe some of you could go after her?”

An Explosive Finale!

Well, that happened! Okay, this is going to be a quick encounter. All rolls will be made at -4. Make any roll you think appropriate and then narrate the results; I’ll chime in with responses as needed based on your narration. There are an unknown number of bombs, likely in the building (three stories and a basement), but maybe in other places around town. Also, Lexie Brass is running… might be worth trying to catch her. You need to accumulate 8 total successes in order to win at this task.

Note: do NOT narrate your character capturing or killing Brass unless/until you achieve the requisite number of successes.

Kuikku

Post by Kuikku »

Kuikku looks at Ford. ”I will take the top floor, I can get there faster. Just know we will need to have a talk after this is over.” Turning to Deezy he continues. ”Use your goggles and see if you can track her. Bring her back here if you can. If she gets in a vehicle, stop it.”

With that Kuikku dashes for the stairs and leaps up them to the top floor. Doing a quick scan of each room he is almost surprised to find a device under one of the commodes. Not knowing a lot about bombs he uses the one think he does know: it cannot blow up if the detonator is not with the explosive. Triggering his cyber armor just in case it does not work he takes the detonator in one hand, the explosive in the other and rips them apart.

Blinking in surprise that it did work he drops the two parts and continues searching.

6, one success
Notice: [dice:1ey5nlyc]52136:0[/dice:1ey5nlyc]
Wild: [dice:1ey5nlyc]52136:1[/dice:1ey5nlyc]
EE with Elan: [dice:1ey5nlyc]52136:2[/dice:1ey5nlyc]
7+3-4=6
Character
Kuikku
Norona

Post by Norona »

Tracking 13, 3 successes
Tracking [dice:1oi2dtdc]52244:0[/dice:1oi2dtdc]
Ace [dice:1oi2dtdc]52244:2[/dice:1oi2dtdc]
Wild [dice:1oi2dtdc]52244:1[/dice:1oi2dtdc]
Mod: -4
Total: 13
Lexie Brass was a lot of things, but careful was not one of them. Thanks to his deep connection to the swamp, Norona has little trouble retracing her steps and locating a number of the bombs in the building. Of course, finding them and disarming them were two very different things. The old scout was from a world of horses and sailing ships. Boms were a little out of his depth.

"I have located a number of devices. However, I am unskilled in rendering them inert."
Sierra Mackenzie

Psionics 9; 2 successes. Drat! I wanted Sierra to catch her!
-4 difficulty
Psionics [dice:1cp745gt]52276:0[/dice:1cp745gt]
Wild [dice:1cp745gt]52276:1[/dice:1cp745gt]
Benny for Extra Effort [dice:1cp745gt]52276:2[/dice:1cp745gt]
Morning
Round 0

Sierra scowled, crossing her arms over her chest as she glowered at Ford. Then she stuck her tongue out at him. “And I’m not telling, either!” she said, then turned with a flounce of her short skirt to leave.

She nearly ran into an attractive, dark-haired woman who taunted Ford and then disappeared.

“Who was that hottie?” Sierra asked, glancing at Ford. He seemed suddenly serious.

“Wait, bombs?”Sierra said. “Why would she want to blow up this town? It’s hardly worth the effort!” she said.

Kuikku gave orders and rushed off to find bombs.

“No! Deez!” Sierra said “Look, I’ll be no good with bombs. I can’t disarm them, and hell, I touch them, they’ll probably go off. I’ll go after this Brass woman. I’m not great at tracking, but I can fly. But tech is your thing. I think you should help Norona defuse those bombs he found.”

Sierra headed outside, stripping off her clothes as she went since she hadn’t worn her special clothes to the trial. Townspeople stared at her.

“Yeah, get a good eyeful!” Sierra yelled at them. “Remember it when I save this stinkhole town!” With that she ignited and burst into the air, getting a high vantage point so she could overlook the entire village. Much of the space around the walls had been cleared for defensive purposes, and hell, Sierra had burned down a good chunk of some of the forest as well. She hoped she could notice the woman. Sierra may have been uneducated, and may have played dumb, but she wasn’t stupid. This Brass woman had to be the woman in league with Lincoln, trying to kill her, that her father had warned her about.

Fuck. Was she actually thinking of that creeper as her father?

Sierra focused her vision, shifting to the infrared spectrum to try and read the heat signatures. She saw her teammates moving through the government building. She needed to find a signature that looked to be leaving town.
Everything Burns
[dice:1cp745gt]52276:3[/dice:1cp745gt]
3-10: Anything highly flammable burns.
6-10: Anything flammable burns.
8-9: Water boils away over [dice:1cp745gt]52276:4[/dice:1cp745gt] rounds.
10: Anything not flammable burns or melts (metal, stone, ceramic, etc) and water superheats and evaporates immediately.
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Read the Flames
Adventure Card
Deezy Klatta
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Deezy Klatta »

Deezy, torn between following orders and using a horde of ROBOTS to hunt BOMBS, finally made her decision based on Norona and Sierra's words. Kookyku was a good leader overall, but he was wrong this time. This was where she was needed.

"I'll help find her in a second!" she shouted, and immediately started throwing out little cylinders of metal, adjusting and fine-tuning each with the help of her armor's robot arm.

In moments the cylinders unfolded, unfurled into spidery, many-armed robot things, each about the size of a small dog. Close to a dozen of them!

"All right fellas, you're looking for...these compounds...trace quantities or higher... Locate source and...blast off. Hehehe. FLY MONKEYS FLY!"

As she spoke, Deezy's fingers tapped on a small control device, feeding instructions to the robots. That done, they wheeled about, metal legs tap tap tapping on the hardwood floors as they spread out into the courtroom and building beyond!

In the meantime she went to go help Norona take care of the ones he'd found.

(Repair to use Summon Ally and make a buncha robots that'll find bombs, then fly straight up with them and detonate high overhead)
[dice:34d3a3yu]52305:0[/dice:34d3a3yu] or [dice:34d3a3yu]52305:1[/dice:34d3a3yu]
Benny for EE [dice:34d3a3yu]52305:2[/dice:34d3a3yu]
12 total, that's including the -4, so 3 successes!
OOC Comments

Skills:
Investigate d6 (+2)
Techno-Wizardry d10
Fighting
Notice

Hindrances

Edges

Gizmos (spells):

Omniblaster

Gear

TW Revolver

NG-S2 Survival Pack
Sleeping bag
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations

Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Conrad leaned back in his chair, slightly smug at Ford screwing up as badly as he did. The chair creaks badly and Conrad sheepishly stands up and moves to one side.
Jareb wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:58 pm ”Jameson, if Conrad can part with you I require you at the morgue. Bring a favored weapon.”

Jameson looks at Conrad who shrugs and nods to her as she heads off. Looks like this place is wrapping up. No need for her to be here if something else is going on.

As everything else suddenly kicks off in the trial, Conrad rushes over just as she fades from sight.

Never rains but it pours

"Anybody else tell me where the explosives are and I'll disable them chummers."

Now where are the best places to plant explosives in this place? he muses for a second; the basement. Conrad runs downstairs, his weight making it sound like a herd of dinosaurs was on the move. He checks over the support pillars such as they were and finds one in the most central pillar.

Simple device, crude, effective but easy to shut down as he plucks wires from the detonator. He taps his radio to talk to the others.

Chummers, found and disabled one in the basement. Got any more for me?

Knowledge Engineering 2 successes
OOC Comments
[dice:281lvpdn]52307:0[/dice:281lvpdn] Ace [dice:281lvpdn]52307:2[/dice:281lvpdn]
[dice:281lvpdn]52307:1[/dice:281lvpdn]

Jameson

Return to “Adventure Archive”