12.1: Lethal Weapons

Pursuit
Game Master

12.1: Lethal Weapons

Post by Pursuit »

Jareb wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:16 pm Jareb raises an eye brow at the proceedings. Something about them felt off, even his ally Deezy seemed more crazied than usual. Seeing Serria go off like a hot hooker took the cake and the angel decided now was the time to go a different direction. He leaned in covering his mouth, as he had once seen ball players do, quietly telling @Kuikku ” I have my radio. Comm me if things turn for the worse. I need to check on something.” He gives Deezy a stiff smile wishing he could tell her it would be ok. He then as softly as he can gathers Gift in his hands and turns to his quarry: The Grackle named Ma’arlys. The time for foes is at an end. I must let her do what she will if I am to unravel the mysteries of this trial.

The Angle approaches the female grackletooth with baby softly cooing in one hand, his sword scabbered at his hip, and his other hand stretched out in friendship. Softly not wanting to startle her he says simply, ” I am sorry. This baby was meant for you, someone heroic, and someone worthy of being her protector. I confess knowing she was meant for you made me want to be a better person. She and you helpped me see the troubled path I had traveled down and eventually find the good path.” Jareb stares her directly in the eyes, ” Now again I need your help. I ask for it. My and your calling is not here at the trial but uncovering what happened to your ranger. Somehow I feel the two to be connected. Will you help me help you? “ Jareb pulls gift to his lips and kisses the child softly, ”No matter your answer if you wish to claim the title of protector of the child I will give her over. Not that I am tired or think I am ill equiped.” Jareb looks at Gift with eyes of mirth and hapiness, ” I love her, and wish her to be with the one she was meant to be with.”

No matter the outcome if Jareb is able to catch @Toshiro 'Cybermonk' eye he signs: Ranger!
OOC Comments
[dice:2p1816uf]50757:0[/dice:2p1816uf] wild [dice:2p1816uf]50757:1[/dice:2p1816uf] EF cause I got 6 bennies: [dice:2p1816uf]50757:2[/dice:2p1816uf]
Ma’arlys looks Jareb up and down and then inclines her head outside. She leads Jareb out of the admin building, and says, ”I don’t know your game, angel, but I’m in no mood to play it. If you’re being genuine, I will take the help. People here seem to like you, despite you being yourself.”

She smiles at the baby, though. ”Let’s not talk about Gift now. She seems happy enough for today.”

Okay, Let’s See What You’ve Got!

For Jareb (and Toshiro should he choose to follow, or anyone else who wants to ditch the trial), how do you go about looking into the dead Ranger? Narrate your actions and make any appropriate rolls (tracking, investigation, and streetwise come to mind, but you could use something else). I’ll jump in with Ma’arlys and any NPC responses, and we’ll see if you can catch (another!) killer.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Jareb
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: 12.1: Lethal Weapons

Post by Jareb »

Jareb paused considering what to do about the dead ranger. Since Ma’ was barely aquesing to his request to help her he needed more information before he could formulate a hypothisis on the rangers death. That meant he needed to learn more about the town and its on goings.

Jareb flapped his wings rustling off the moisture that had collected in the humid climate. ”Agreed Ma’, Gifts fate can wait. We need to get to the bottom of this death. Some how I feel it is connected to the trial. We need to head to the Library and learn as much as this history about the area where you found the ranger.” Jareb had not thought of it until now but perhaps the library had some clues into Ford’s own interests in the town.

Gift sighed sucking on Mr. wobbles siliently watching the two.
Investigation 11
Investigation [dice:cqf3712f]51641:0[/dice:cqf3712f] ace [dice:cqf3712f]51641:2[/dice:cqf3712f] wild [dice:cqf3712f]51641:1[/dice:cqf3712f]
Jareb Combat data
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d8 (d10), Vigor d8, -2 to be hit from range via improved dodge.
Charisma: 0; Pace: 4; Parry: 8 ; Toughness: 16(10); Strain: 0,PPE:20/9
Combat edges:
  • Quick- redraw on 5 or less
    Elan
Command edges:
  • Command: +1 to unshake in command radius
    Hold the line: +1 toughness to troops under their command
    Natural Leader: Can share bennies with those under his command,
Active Powers and other bonuses:
[/list]
Bennies
5/3
+1 lucky
+1 high post rate
+1 good rp
-1 speaking sign language
-2 bennies for swamp
White Castle

Post by White Castle »

Ma' and Jareb are interupted by a newcomer approaching the admin building.

[In Grackletooth] "Ma', what happened here? Where is Lincoln?"

The long leather cape is shaken free of moisture and assembled foliage, that had originlly given the figure the look of Swamp Thing from the Early American Empire comic books. His modified Triax T-11 body armor is barely noticeable beneath the long swamp cape.
Toshiro 'Cybermonk'

Post by Toshiro 'Cybermonk' »

Toshiro catches up to Jareb and Ma'arlys just as they finish discussing Gift's situation.

He nods his head in agreement with Jareb, but has some thoughts as to what his own benefit might be. Surprised by Jareb's apparent understanding of sign, he tries communicating in with basic words. He points to himself and then signs Location of murder. To better highlight his reasoning, he triggers the zoom function of his robotic eye on and off, causing its iris to rotate closed and open.

When the newcomer arrives and speaks, Toshiro looks him up and down, recording video for future reference, and then raises an eyebrow quizzically. The implication is clear. 'Who are you'?
OOC Comments
Toshiro's Character Sheet
Wounds: 0/4; Fatigue: 0/3; [/size]

Parry: 5 (+4 from chip and sword)[/size]
Toughness: 23(12 MDC)[/size]
Active Effects
Chips: +3DT Fighting +1DT Electronics
Sword: +2 DT Fighting, Absorption (Metal and Kinetic), +2 DT Strength [/size]

Notable Edges: Woodsman, Quick, Brawny, I know a Guy, Nerves of Steel, Danger Sense, Improved Arcane Resistance, Ace, Combat Ace, Elan[/size]

Bennies: 1/3 [/size]
-1 for shooting reroll
+1 for commiting near suicide (being outside the vehicle)
-2 for agility rerolls

Edit Signature
White Castle

Post by White Castle »

Toshiro 'Cybermonk' wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:57 am Toshiro catches up to Jareb and Ma'arlys just as they finish discussing Gift's situation.

He nods his head in agreement with Jareb, but has some thoughts as to what his own benefit might be. Surprised by Jareb's apparent understanding of sign, he tries communicating in with basic words. He points to himself and then signs Location of murder. To better highlight his reasoning, he triggers the zoom function of his robotic eye on and off, causing its iris to rotate closed and open.

When the newcomer arrives and speaks, Toshiro looks him up and down, recording video for future reference, and then raises an eyebrow quizzically. The implication is clear. 'Who are you'?
Castle notices the simple sign of @Toshiro 'Cybermonk' and decides to make a stab at communication. Using sign language, I am Castle. You know something of Lincoln's murder?
Jareb
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Jareb »

White Castle wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:43 am Ma' and Jareb are interupted by a newcomer approaching the admin building.

[In Grackletooth] "Ma', what happened here? Where is Lincoln?"

The long leather cape is shaken free of moisture and assembled foliage, that had originlly given the figure the look of Swamp Thing from the Early American Empire comic books. His modified Triax T-11 body armor is barely noticeable beneath the long swamp cape.
Gracklespeak [dice:2g6znul3]52008:0[/dice:2g6znul3] [dice:2g6znul3]52008:2[/dice:2g6znul3] wild [dice:2g6znul3]52008:1[/dice:2g6znul3]

Jareb cocked an eye brow at swamp thing coming out. The armor reminded him of this bad ass dude he once met while touring a Myan ziggurat. Even the swamp cape had its place. What was the fellows name? Ah probably doesn’t even matter that guy is probably out looking for his next insurmountable treasure to recover. Good times.

Jareb’s sword flashed in his hand after his moment of introspection. With the grace and forthwright of a Devine angel he unfurled his wings heralding grace tidings, ” Dark times have come upon this town. If ye knew Lincoln speak your purpose but know now that he haa died a death bathed in flame.”. The little baby girl he carried in his other hand coo’d softly.
Jareb Combat data
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d8 (d10), Vigor d8, -2 to be hit from range via improved dodge.
Combat edges:
    Elan
Command edges:
[/list]
Bennies
5/3
+1 lucky
+1 high post rate
+1 good rp
-2 bennies for swamp
White Castle

Post by White Castle »

Jareb wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:59 pm Jareb’s sword flashed in his hand after his moment of introspection. With the grace and forthwright of a Devine angel he unfurled his wings heralding grace tidings, ” Dark times have come upon this town. If ye knew Lincoln speak your purpose but know now that he haa died a death bathed in flame.”. The little baby girl he carried in his other hand coo’d softly.
"Strange that swamp gas would be found here. Lincoln was always very careful himself. Hard to picture an accident that he caused."

Jareb's wings unfurled, castle takes a step back but only identifies two arms. One holding sword and the other holding a ... baby? Guess he is a glorified baby sitter. Must be one of them fancy opars. Castle steps to the side with the baby and admires the wings. @Jareb "where did you get these grafted on? They are grafted on, not one of those lame strap-on flight suits?"

Pulling the wings out a little bit, he stands there adimiringly, "These are some high quality repros. Skilled craftsmanship indeed."

Castle whistles, "Easily run 2.5 mil per wing. Impressive. What do you do for a living that you can afford to drop 5 mil and take 3 months of downtime to get the grafts?"

Standing back admiringly, he steps around @Toshiro 'Cybermonk' and just past Ma. "That is some real nice work. Not the Lyn-Syr type of wings. Come to think of it. The last time I saw wings like that ..." Castle shakes his head. Could this be the same cat from across the boarder?

Castle goes real quiet.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Ma'arlys takes all of this in without missing a beat. You get the impression she's seen a lot of weird in her life.

To @White Castle, she says, "Lincoln died. This lot," she indicates @Jareb and @Toshiro 'Cybermonk', "are with that 'Tomorrow Legion' that settled out in CS territory in some old castle, looking to reunite the world, or some such. We think they're here on the same errand as Peter, months back."
Who's Peter?
Peter of Wright was a Cyber-Knight who came through town a few months ago. He was well-liked, and he disappeared after tracking a group of barbarian cultists to the Jungle Castle.
"Lincoln managed to get himself burned to death. Ford's back in town, and he filed charges against one of their group, a Techno-Wizard, claiming she did it. It's Ford, though, so you have to know something is sideways, here."

"And in the meanwhile, I've got a dead Ranger on my hands. We found Sarvan's body due east of the outpost about a mile out with a stab wound in his gut and another in the neck. Vibro-weapon, from the looks of it; too clean for a claw or tooth, and no animal would've just left the body behind like that. These two," again she indicates Jareb and Toshiro, "have offered to help look into it. I think they were getting bored by the trial. Watch yourself with the angel, though. He's a dick."
Sarvan
Sarvan was a half-orc Wilderness Scout. Castle would know that Sarvan knew how to handle himself in a fight and was a fairly experienced Ranger. He wasn't the most talkative guy in town, but he was known and pretty well respected.
With that, she points over to the medical building, "Morgue's in there, if you want a look at the body. I'll take anyone who cares to inspect the scene out to it; maybe you'll pick up something my people missed. I've been so tied up babysitting Deezy for this trial that I haven't been able to get out there myself yet."

Time to Investigate!

Okay, this will be run like a quick encounter. Roll any skill that seems appropriate to you and narrate the results. I will keep an eye on your posts and drop you responses and hints as needed depending on your rolls and your narration. All of your rolls should be made at -4. Your goal is to get 5 successes total between the three of you during your investigation.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions!
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
White Castle

Post by White Castle »

Castle seems to be processing the facts and grimaces a bit at the mention of Peter and Sarvan. Lincoln causes him some disturbance as well. It would appear that his poker face is completely broken when Ford is mentioned.

"Ford. Would seem he never gets the hint."

"Black Market sludge. How deep are they embedded here Ma'?"

"It has been a few years since I last uprooted their operations here. So it makes sense that they would try and reinsert themselves here."

Looking at @Toshiro 'Cybermonk' and @Jareb "The name is Castle. White Castle."

When Ma' gives Castle a questioning look, Castle gives Ma' the look to not persue her line on inquiry.

Looking back at Toshiro and Jareb, "Plain and simple. I am a treasure hunter. And I don't care for the Black Market in anyway."

"I have heard of the 'Tomorrow Legion'. Even ran across a couple of their outfits. Seem like good people."
White Castle

Post by White Castle »

"It appears we have a Mexican Stand Off or a cat has people's tongues."

He looks at Ma', "Come Ma', fill me in on the other happenings. I know I have been gone for a while. I am sure these fine folks will be along shortly."

Halfway to Lincoln's house, he stops and looks around. "Five years is along time to be away."

Castle begins his Investigation well before he and Ma' get to Lincoln's place near the edge of town,searching the streets for oddities.

Streetwise 8 _
Streetwise + 2, looking for evidence
[*] Streetwise [dice:3kjvrzud]52247:0[/dice:3kjvrzud]
[*] Wild [dice:3kjvrzud]52247:1[/dice:3kjvrzud]
"Ma' how long has Lincoln been gone?"
Jareb
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Jareb »

Jareb sighed knowing his work was never done. Being the celetial general even if defunct was his burden to bear and while he had no one to lead he still had Gift to care for plus a strong dsesire to get out of the swamp alive. There was no way he would let Deezy be left to whatever fate the crooked court handed down but in the mean time he could do something to keep his skills sharp and mind active. He could tell Ma’ was still sore about Gift and smiled appriciating her willingness to accept help. From what he remembered she was a proud grackle not to mention she could drink almost any mortal or immortal under the table.

”Gift and I will see to the morgue. I am a skilled healer and would like to see for myself this body. Strange things have been happening in this swamp as if it is being plagued by an ancient evil that has only recently awoke.” He paused briefly drawing his sword of st. Cathrine from behind him stowed neatly in his pack for gift. Though he had the pack he still preffered to carry Gift in his free arm. ” I would be surprised to find the body resting in its final place.” He glanced at Tosh and castle wondering what if anything they would be able to contribute. All he knew of Tosh was that he could not or would not speak, and Castle was a swamp crusted wild card that seemed to niggle his mind as if he had met him once many years ago.

Killing the undead and a possible possessed creature required a bit more fire power than he currently had, on the way he comms Jameson to see if she was still needed by @Conrad, ”Jameson, if Conrad can part with you I require you at the morgue. Bring a favored weapon.” He tried to keep the gravity of the situation in check as he spoke, but truthfully after the library he would like to spend some time with her.
Healing 4 total with the -4
Healing [dice:1d4j7qa6]52248:0[/dice:1d4j7qa6] wild [dice:1d4j7qa6]52248:1[/dice:1d4j7qa6] Benny with Extra Effort: [dice:1d4j7qa6]52248:2[/dice:1d4j7qa6]
Jareb Combat data
Combat edges:
    Elan
Command edges:
[/list]
Bennies
5/3
+1 lucky
+1 high post rate
+1 good rp
-2 bennies for swamp
Toshiro 'Cybermonk'

Post by Toshiro 'Cybermonk' »

Toshiro smirks at the angel as this new character inspects him like a show-horse, though he stands ready to draw his shotgun if necessary. If the newcomer - this "Castle" - makes a move to inspect his own implants, Toshiro's face goes neutral, except for a single raised eyebrow.

Ma's tone brings Toshiro back to the gravity of the situation.
Ma'arlys wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:09 am
With that, she points over to the medical building, "Morgue's in there, if you want a look at the body. I'll take anyone who cares to inspect the scene out to it; maybe you'll pick up something my people missed. I've been so tied up babysitting Deezy for this trial that I haven't been able to get out there myself yet."
Toshiro grabs Ma's attention at this point, points two fingers to his eyes, waves generically at the ground around them, and then points to the east where Ma's indicated the body was found.

It's obvious when they arrive at the scene of the murder. The area has the coppery scent of death, and the dirt in about a meter wide area is stained the dark brownish red of not-yet-dry blood.

Toshiro kneels at the location for a moment, allowing his eye to take images across a variety of spectrums and magnifications. He then stands up and tunes his sensors for optimal function in this specific space, and focuses on anything that appears like it might be out of the ordinary.

Notice 10 - 2 success
Notice Roll (+2 ESDA cyber, +2 optics package -4 scene not included)
[dice:239t95e6]52299:0[/dice:239t95e6]
Wild [dice:239t95e6]52299:1[/dice:239t95e6]

-1Bennie
Reroll (-4 scene now included)
Notice [dice:239t95e6]52299:2[/dice:239t95e6]
Wild [dice:239t95e6]52299:3[/dice:239t95e6]

-1 Bennie
Notice [dice:239t95e6]52299:4[/dice:239t95e6]
Ace! [dice:239t95e6]52299:6[/dice:239t95e6]
Wild [dice:239t95e6]52299:5[/dice:239t95e6]
OOC Comments
Toshiro's Character Sheet
Wounds: 0/4; Fatigue: 0/3; [/size]

Parry: 5 (+4 from chip and sword)[/size]
Toughness: 23(12 MDC)[/size]
Active Effects
Chips: +3DT Fighting +1DT Electronics
Sword: +2 DT Fighting, Absorption (Metal and Kinetic), +2 DT Strength [/size]

Notable Edges: Woodsman, Quick, Brawny, I know a Guy, Nerves of Steel, Danger Sense, Improved Arcane Resistance, Ace, Combat Ace, Elan[/size]

Bennies: 1/3 [/size]
-1 for shooting reroll
+1 for commiting near suicide (being outside the vehicle)
-2 for agility rerolls

Edit Signature
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Jareb wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:58 pm ”Jameson, if Conrad can part with you I require you at the morgue. Bring a favored weapon.”
Jameson left the court house and collected her C-12 rifle before heading to the morgue. As she enters, she sees they are not alone.

"Who's the new guy? And what's going on?" she asks, supporting her rifle on her shoulder

White Castle will note that despite an altered colour scheme, all the gear Jameson is carrying is CS issue.

Once somebody explains, Jameson checks the boots of the deceased, trying to get a clue from the detritus on the treads where they might have gone recently.

Tracking or survival (both same dice)
[dice:1tzxemvk]52306:0[/dice:1tzxemvk]
[dice:1tzxemvk]52306:1[/dice:1tzxemvk]
Jareb
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Jareb »

White Castle wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:55 pm Castle seems to be processing the facts and grimaces a bit at the mention of Peter and Sarvan. Lincoln causes him some disturbance as well. It would appear that his poker face is completely broken when Ford is mentioned.

"Ford. Would seem he never gets the hint."

"Black Market sludge. How deep are they embedded here Ma'?"

"It has been a few years since I last uprooted their operations here. So it makes sense that they would try and reinsert themselves here."

Looking at @Toshiro 'Cybermonk' and @Jareb "The name is Castle. White Castle."

When Ma' gives Castle a questioning look, Castle gives Ma' the look to not persue her line on inquiry.

Looking back at Toshiro and Jareb, "Plain and simple. I am a treasure hunter. And I don't care for the Black Market in anyway."

"I have heard of the 'Tomorrow Legion'. Even ran across a couple of their outfits. Seem like good people."
Jareb reaches out a hand momentarily sheathing his blade. He did not know any Castle but something about the armored individual was familiar. ” Jareb... This is my charge Gift.” He holds the baby forward so Castle can get a good view. Gift gurgles throwing up. Jareb quick as a whip pulls out a burp cloth dabbing Gift, ” Sorry about that she has never thrown up before.” He eyes Castle wondering if Gift was trying to warn him. Maybe... A treasure hunter eh. Guess you need one of those. ” Which legionaires have you come across Castle?”
Jareb Combat data
Combat edges:
    Elan
Command edges:
[/list]
Bennies
5/3
+1 lucky
+1 high post rate
+1 good rp
-2 bennies for swamp
White Castle

Post by White Castle »

Conrad wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:26 am Jameson left the court house and collected her C-12 rifle before heading to the morgue. As she enters, she sees they are not alone.

"Who's the new guy? And what's going on?" she asks, supporting her rifle on her shoulder

White Castle will note that despite an altered colour scheme, all the gear Jameson is carrying is CS issue.

Once somebody explains, Jameson checks the boots of the deceased, trying to get a clue from the detritus on the treads where they might have gone recently.

Tracking or survival (both same dice)
[dice:2dvo54nz]52306:0[/dice:2dvo54nz]
[dice:2dvo54nz]52306:1[/dice:2dvo54nz]
Castle strolls upto Jameson, "The name is Castle. White Castle. Its been a few years but this place is my home when I am in the area."

"The CS produce some fine equipment. Your gear is Gen 4 or maybe Gen 5, if I am reading the makers marks right."

Castle notices Jameson looking at the boots and flips open his personal computer, embedded into his armor. With his finger he begins sketching the tread and measurements of the boots to compare with his previous walk around at Lincoln's place.

Return to “Adventure Archive”