Into The Mists

Post Reply
User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:00 am

A journey.

Whether you travel with purpose or wander aimlessly, a journey has a beginning and an end. It does not matter whether you ride a galloping stallion, sat upon a swaying wagon or stride forward with nought but your own two feet. There may be stops along the way, but a journey is always moving from one place to another regardless of motive or method.

Sometimes there is a detour.

Whether forced or blissful of the fact, something will occur during your journey and you find yourself taking a path least expected. For good or ill you may even find yourself bound for a different destination from the one you intended to reach, though it remains a journey regardless of how intentional it was or what choice may have been taken.

This is a journey that you probably never expected or even asked for.

The mist arose slowly at first, its thin tendrils lazily seeping through the air, gradually forming wispy vines round your limbs. You first begin to notice the mist when the colour from her surrounds appears to have been leached away and a heavy chill hangs in the air. Dread strikes you as the mist closes round you, almost suffocating you in its embrace. For one disconcerting moment it feels as though you're suspended by absolute...nothingness.

Then your foot feels solid ground beneath it once more and the mist begins to recede, the world materializing back into existence around you as you find yourself stood on a grass-covered wagon rut. More of your new surroundings are revealed, a low stone wall and a wooden signpost bearing words you do not recognise. Soon you find this lonely track lies amidst desolate and mist-shrouded moorland, a faint and feeble glow some distance down the track offers a faint hope of civilisation.

You also realize that you aren't alone on the track for there are others, seemingly as equally disoriented as you are, but none bare a familiar face nor garb.

This is not the journey that you set out upon.

What are you doing?
Talking to One Another
You find yourself in a land distant and remote from that you call home, confronted by strangers who speak in tongue foreign to your ears.

In order to communicate with one another you can try miming, drawing and pointing to objects in order to convey what you wish to state. This requires one Smarts roll made at -2 from everyone; a success means people get the general idea of what you're saying whilst a raise means they understand perfectly. Failure means they either misunderstand or are completely confused by what you are trying to get across.

Jason
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Jason » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:10 am

With a sigh of relief that he's back on the ground Orne would pat down his few possessions to ensure they stayed with him and have a look around at his surroundings.

Orne laughs nervously saying, "Seems I've drifted further of course than is my usual, darn feet just do as they please once I hit the open spaces. I don't suppose any of you gentlefolk know the way to Shellborough by chance? I had some fellows waiting on me there." He'll pull out a wineskin and after taking a sip offer it to the others standing nearby.
OOC Comments
I know no one will understand Orne, but he says it all the same.

As for his surroundings, is there anything on the sign he can make out like arrows? And what is the wall around, some sort of field or is it just following the road?

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:05 pm

OOC Comments
Smarts 1d6-2 = 3: 5
Wild Smarts 1d6-2 = 0: 2

Other Mother stumbled as the Mists engulfed her as she wandered through the woods. It was disconcerting and eerie, which was strange in itself, as she shouldn't really be an more afraid of the mist than she was of the woods, or a road, or anything else--after all, she'd never been out of the attic before, so all of this was horribly new, and yet, there was something else here, some sensation at the back of her neck that worried at her sense of rightness in a way that all the other new things she was encountering did not.

Then they had receded, and she was someplace else, with other people. She drew back, slightly--other people often reacted like the mob at the manor had, after all. But if she was going to exist--and whatever else she'd been imbued with, the urge to exist and survive was definitely part of it--then she would need to deal with others sooner or later. She stepped forward, and curtsied to the gentleman who'd spoken, though she did not understand the language.

She tried speaking in the languages she knew--a bit of Mordentish, then a greeting in Faerie--and when these failed, she endeavored the hand-signs that she and the child used to communicate when it was necessary to be quiet and not disturb the manor-folk.

In all three, she tries the same approach. "Hello, I am Other Mother. Where is this place?"

Of course, to the others on the road, it appears a bit different, as a visibly animated construct of some sort comes up to them and starts babbling away, then gesticulating. Oddly, the mannerisms are those of a refined woman of breeding, if not station.
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:46 am

Prologue
“No,” Ilija Borisov growled, sinking his nails into the shoulder of the novice kneeling before the access panel. “Look me in the eyes so I know you are listening. Good. Now, do. Not. Force it. If the power cells are still charged and you break a cable, the arc blast will vaporize everything in this room. Be gentle, and use your tools as you were taught. Do you understand?” The novice grimaced and nodded, and Ilija nodded back, releasing her shoulder and striding across the small chamber to his makeshift workbench.

Ilija sighed. New blood was a necessary evil, he reminded himself. The lifespan of a careless researcher in the ruins of Numeria was disturbingly short. “I’m going down the tunnel to investigate that recharging station we found yesterday,” he said, without turning to face his reluctant pupil. He buckled his toolkit to his belt, strapped on his backpack, and took a few steps toward the downward sloping passage before stopping.

“Do you remember what you are to do if you hear a scream or an explosion?” Ilija asked over his shoulder.

“‘Return to the surface and contact base camp for a spotter squad,’” the novice parroted. Ilija smirked at the barely visible smile at the corners of the girl’s lips. He waved his everburning torch at her in admonishment. “If I die, you’ll like your new teacher even less,” he promised in a sing-song tone, and headed out.

It was but a few minutes’ walk to the station -- or whatever it was -- and Ilija was about to turn the last corner when the floor sank below his foot with a groan, causing him to windmill his arms wildly to avoid falling. He dropped his torch. Chadali be damned! Had the spotters missed a weak joist? He attempted an awkward hop to clear the failing floor panel and cried out as the next panel gave way completely beneath his weight. The tunnel disintegrated around him, and his howls were lost in the shriek of twisting metal as he fell into misty darkness.
Ilija awakens seated in half-dried mud, leaning against a low stone wall. He rises with a grunt, steadying himself on the stones, and swears under his breath. He seems uninjured -- no small blessing -- but how had he ended up on this lonesome road? A teleportation circle? Desna should be so kind. He listens to the voices of his new acquaintances and quickly realizes he cannot understand them. So he is far from Numeria, and even Avistan, if even the common tongue is different here. He curses Chadali again for good measure.

Moving to the middle of the road to join his fellows, who seem as unable to understand each other as he is them, he politely refuses the offered wineskin and makes his own effort to communicate. “Do either of you know this place?”

((Smarts for communication, before modifier: 1d8: 6 -2 is 4, success
Wild die, if applicable, before modifier: 1d6: 6, ace, 1d6: 1, 7-2 is 5, success))

User avatar
Alba Dawnherald
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Alba Dawnherald » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:18 pm

Spellcasting Light (1d8)+2:
6,+2 Total:8

Alba steps forward. He is a bold and bright faced young man with short blonde hair, holding a longsword high in the air as if it was a torch, a bright light emitting from the sword.

The young man, no more than 13 or 14 at most, appears not to be the slightest bit worried by the fog, curiosity might kill the cat but Alba is not bright enough to be concerned by the saying.

"Good day to you! Are you as lost as I?" he announces boldly in the Common tongue of The Forgotten Realms.

Smarts (1d4)+-2:
2,+-2 Total:0 fail

Wild die Roll(1d6)+0:
3,+0 Total:3 fail

He frowns as he realises that he hasn't a clue what anyone is saying.

"Along the road seems sensible?"
He suggests still not communicating well but eager to be moving on... He points his glowing sword in the direction he wants to travel.

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:34 pm

Ilija pulls down on the brim of his hat as Alba approaches, then raises a hand to shield his face with a pained growl when Alba lowers his sword to point.

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:26 pm

Player Aside
As I understand the rules Stormwell posted, you can all understand Ilija, at least for this 'round.' Just thought I'd point that out, in case folks didn't realize.

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:31 am

It becomes clear that each of you are all strangers to this land as well as one another, despite the alien tongues spoken by the others it appears all of you seem surprised to be wherever this place is. Your surroundings offer little in the way of clues; the low stone wall runs in both directions alongside the track, separating it from the field, whilst the weather beaten wooden signpost as a single surviving arm pointing towards the faint and feeble glow in the distance.

Other Mother
You are the only one to read the words on the signpost, least recognize the script if not the actual word.

It reads: <- MORDENTSHIRE - 1 MILE
What are you doing?

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:04 am

After a few more attempts at communication, the strange automaton gestures to the others, motioning down the road in the direction the sign indicates--at least in Mordentshire, she might find someone she can communicate with--and then starts walking in that direction, beckoning them to follow.
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Danyar
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:20 am
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Danyar » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:47 am

Tralon wakes up laying in some bushes. I really need to not drink so much at weddings. Where am I? He stands up and checks himself. Well, at least I have everything but, where am I? Looking around, he sees strange trees and bushes that he has never seen before. this type of foliage wasn't around the caves before. He brushes himself off and steps through the bushes onto a road and sees several others standing there looking at a sign. He has his Shield at the ready on his left arm and puts his right hand on his sword but, doesn't draw it. A human and not sure what the other creature is. Hmmm, interesting. Greetings everyone, any idea as to where we are?
Danyar
Parry 7
Toughness 6/9
Bennies 3/3
Gold Bennies0/1
Adventure Card: Zavonis, Guide my Shot. (Shooting Penalties reduced by 4 to minimum of 0)

User avatar
Alba Dawnherald
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Alba Dawnherald » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:15 am

Notice - Roll (1d6)+0: 2,+0 Total:2
Roll(1d6)+0: 2,+0 Total:2 fail

Wild die Roll (1d6)+0: 6,+0 Total:6
Explode die Roll(1d6)+6: 6,+6
Total:12
Explode die Roll (1d6)+12: 2,+12 Total:14

Alba frowns slightly at Ilija's reaction to the light coming from his sword, so now that he is no longer in the mist, he decides there's is no need for it. With practiced ease he slides the blade home in his scabbard.

When Other mother sets off in the direction of the arrow and glow, Alba shrugs towards the others and follows.

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:42 am

Ilija offers Alba a wan smile when the sword goes out. "Without a focusing lens," he notes conversationally, "a bright light in fog really only serves to impede--"

Test for Communication
1d8-2 = 4: 6, success
1d6-2 = 4: 6, ace
1d6: 5, total of 9, raise

He trails off upon catching sight of Other Mother's gesticulation. Getting a good look at the Created for the first time, his eyes narrow and his jaw sets. As she and Alba begin to walk down the road, he clears his throat and hurries after, offering polite nods to Orne and Tralon.

"I suppose names are as good a place to start as any. I am Ilija," Ilija says, pressing a hand into his chest, then showing his palm to Alba. "You are?"

Test for Communication
1d8-2 = 5: 7, success
1d6-2 = 3: 5, failure

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:11 pm

OOC Comments
Comm Test 1d6-2 = 3: 5
Wild Smarts 1d6-2 = -1: 1
Other Mother turns to the man as he gestures to himself, attempting to nod in understanding of his meaning. She mirrors the gesture, and is apparently named something like, "Mutti".
OOC Comments
The downside of being 'Other Mother" or even just "mother" is that without making her own meaning clear, she would still understand his, so she'd try to convey her name. Figure a non-English version of "Mother" makes sense for that.
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Alba Dawnherald
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Alba Dawnherald » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:35 am

Wild Roll(1d6)+-2: 3 fail
Comms Roll(1d4)+-2: 0 fail

As the group wander towards the distant light, Alba watches the rudimentary attempts at communication going on between Illija and Mother.

He shares his head, that almost seemed to make sense, the hand gesture and word combined. Were they offering names?

No, it can't be. So he trudges along and remains quiet.

User avatar
Danyar
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:20 am
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Danyar » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Wonderful, everyone seems to know a different language than me. This ought to make things very interesting. They all seem to be pointing at themselves and saying something I guess introductions.

As they start walking, Tralon points to himself and says "Tralon" He points to the weird looking one and says Mutti, then points at the Human looking one and says "ilija?"

Well, lets hope that's what they were getting at otherwise I may have just insulted everyone,

Tralon continues to walk with the others hoping the path leads to someplace he recognizes.
Danyar
Parry 7
Toughness 6/9
Bennies 3/3
Gold Bennies0/1
Adventure Card: Zavonis, Guide my Shot. (Shooting Penalties reduced by 4 to minimum of 0)

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:47 am

Ilija offers Mutti a nod and a wan smile. His eyes dart over her piecemeal body. Hearing Tralon behind him, he looks over his shoulder and nods again, tapping himself on the breastbone with a thumb. "Ilija Borisov," he confirms. "I am from Daggermark," he lies, looking for any signs of recognition and seeing none. "The River Kingdoms?"

He tries his first question again. "Do any of you know this place?"

Communication
Smarts: 1d8-2 = 1: 3
Wild Die: 1d6-2 = 3: 5

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:27 pm

With the party having exchanged what was, presumably, their names and with little else in the options they headed in the direction indicated by the one called 'Mutti'. Conversations remain somewhat rudimentary, nobody is any closer to determining what tongue is spoken by the others nor where the party has ended up. But heading along the track towards what is, hopefully, a settlement of a sort gives the group purpose and perhaps a glimmer of hope in getting some answers.

As you travel the passage of time seems...odd, at points it becomes difficult to tell whether ten minutes have passed or an hour. Likewise the distance travelled proves problematic to determine, it almost seem like you are transported each time you pass through a bank of fog. Eventually you arrive on the outskirts of a town round evening time, the few inhabitants you encounter take one look at you before hurrying away or bolting their doors. Very quickly you find yourselves stood in a deserted street, though twitching curtains show you aren't completely alone.

What Are You Doing?

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:40 pm

OOC Comments
Notice penalty for Clueless Hindrance
Notice 1d4-2 = -1: 1
Wild Notice 1d6-2 = -1: 1

... Oh, for bloody hellfire. CritFail on a Notice roll while trying to find an inn. :P
OtherMother isn't entirely unused to frightened villagers. She's learned to not to press the issue. Still, night is approaching; perhaps there is some sort of inn in this town? She looks around for a larger building where they might be able to stay for the night. Of course, it would be easier were the architecture not so strange.... She thought she had picked a likely building, but was shocked when, upon opening the door, she was confronted by an elderly woman who was most distressed to see the strangers entering through what was apparently the back door of her home--though not badly injured, OtherMother's feelings were hurt at being smacked with a broom as the old crone's cries caused more curtain-twitches along the street. Her face is, of course, difficult to read, but her body language certainly conveys a fair amount of embarrassment.
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Alba Dawnherald
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Alba Dawnherald » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:17 am

OOC Comments
Notice 1d6: 5
Wild Notice 1d6: 5
Unlike Mother, Alba is not used to being treated this way by the common folk that he himself was raised among. Indeed the respect offered to Alba only increased when he went to study at the temple of Lathander and emerged years later as a Paladin. Alba frowns at the reaction, something is very wrong here, not just the strange mist transportation effect.

He follows Mother as she begins to search the town, Inns, in Alba's admittedly limited experience, tend to be easy to spot, indeed they want to be found, if that's what she is trying to do. After Mother's slightly odd and embarrassing venture into the wrong place altogether, Alba briefly takes the lead, taking them back to the main road where he expects to find a building with the typical sign outside it.

User avatar
Danyar
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:20 am
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Danyar » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:44 am

Strange. I keep getting this feeling of moving farther then I should and time seems wrong. Can't tell from any signs exactly what time it is nor how far I have walked. These others, they all seem very strange. One looks like a living statue, how odd.

Tralon keeps following the others as they walk and eventually they enter a village. The reactions from the residents tell of fear where most would be curious with our lot. What exactly is this place.

As they walk up to the first building, the Statue walks in and well, it wasn't a public building, just a home and she was swatted out.

There must be some way to communicate with the residents and my fellow travelers. Walking to the center of the village..

"DOES ANYONE HEAR UNDERSTAND ME AND CAN YOU HELP US!" Well, lets see what that produces.
Danyar
Parry 7
Toughness 6/9
Bennies 3/3
Gold Bennies0/1
Adventure Card: Zavonis, Guide my Shot. (Shooting Penalties reduced by 4 to minimum of 0)

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:32 am

Ilija observes Mutti's interaction with the housewife with interest -- betraying no emotion -- then follows Alba wordlessly back to the main road. After Tralon shouts, he makes eye contact with the dwarf and offers him a half-hearted shrug, but keeps his distance.

Ilija is as certain as Alba that there must be a large building with a sign with a bed on it somewhere around here and keeps looking.

Looking for a large building with a sign with a bed on it
Notice: fail
Wild Die: fail
(die rolls in deleted post made from wrong account)

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:09 pm

The party's efforts are met with shuttered doors and windows or harried feet, there is a distinct impression that the townsfolk more than a little wary of strangers. Though you attract some attention as a trio of, what you assume to be, local watchmen approach you. All three men are attired in a uniform of a sort; a long black coat and matching tri-corner hat, as well as snow white scarves. Each man also wears a silver and black pin fashioned in the shape of a lantern, worn on the lapel. Curiously they all carry a black iron "bullseye" lantern in addition to being armed with a rapier and a strange looking hand weapon consisting of carved wood and a metal tube. Though thankfully these weapons remain at the watchmen's hips as they warily eye you.

The most senior watchman steps forwards, clears his throat and calls out. "Beannachtaí! Cé a labhraíonn uathu?"
Other Mother
Though the dialect is a little different to what you're used to, you recognize the words as roughly meaning "Hail! Who answers for you?"


What Are You Doing?

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:10 pm

Empathy Power fail, Persuasion 6
Opening with Kind Word (empathy) to try to get the bonus on Persuasion. It'll still be tough, though.

Empathy 1d8: 3
Wild Focus 1d6: 2
And... the power doesn't go off. Damn.

Persuasion 1d4-4 = -2: 2
Wild Persuasion 1d6-4 = 2: 6 ACE 1d6+2 = 6: 4

OtherMother waits a moment, then when none of the others seem to recognize the speech, steps forward, speaking as gently and deferentially as she can.

"Greetings and well-met, good sirs. We are, all of us, strangers, both to this land and to one another; I cannot speak for them prior to our meeting on the road, but I was lost in the mist and then ended up on the road leading here." She pauses, considering what little she knows of her companions. "As I am the only one to speak Mordentish, I must assume that they come from even further than I do. That said, they have not troubled me in any way as we came, and therefore I am willing to vouch for them. I recognized the writing on the sign, and so I had hoped we could find shelter here. Is there anyplace we could stay? An inn, if there is one in this town, would be ideal of course, but anyplace where we will not trouble you or your citizens would be fine. We seek to cause no distress, nor harm anyone. If there is no inn, perhaps one of your citizens would be willing to allow us to sleep in a barn--with compensation for the trouble, of course."
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Alba Dawnherald
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Alba Dawnherald » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:26 am

'Watchmen. If the local lord is decent, this should work out fine.' Alba thought to himself, purposely keeping his hand away from his sword.

He was surprised to hear the steady flow of speech from the, what was it?, golem? It didn't matter to Alba, if she remained 'friendly.' She, it, seemed to know the local language, that was great news.

Alba stood back and didn't interfere...

User avatar
Danyar
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:20 am
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Danyar » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:28 am

Great, a town guard. Maybe now we can get some answers.

Traylon was about to step up and ask a question when the moving statue started talking. The guards answered in the same tongue as it so, he stood back and waited to see what happened.

Lets hope out lack of communication doesn't hinder us or worse.
Danyar
Parry 7
Toughness 6/9
Bennies 3/3
Gold Bennies0/1
Adventure Card: Zavonis, Guide my Shot. (Shooting Penalties reduced by 4 to minimum of 0)

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:57 pm

The senior watchman seems to be taken aback for a moment as Other Mother stands step forward to speak, though he manages to recompose himself. One of the other watchman reaches for the curious hand weapon with his free hand, confirming that it is most probably a weapon of some sort, but thinks better of it and instead stands and watches you warily.

"Feicim." Replies the senior watchman after listening to Other Mother. "Smaoinigh gur fearr leat teacht linn. Le do thoil, ar an mbealach seo."

Other Mother
"I see. Think you better come with us. Please, this way."
As he speaks, the watchman motions to the rest of the group with his hand that he wishes for you to follow him

What Are You Doing?"

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:02 pm

OOC Comments
Smarts 1d6-2 = 2: 4
Wild Smarts 1d6-2 = -1: 1
Communication failure, but hopefully the overall situation is obvious enough to the rest of the group....

OtherMother doesn't hesitate, nodding her assent and falling in line behind the one who spoke. For the moment, she forgets to properly signal the others, however, focusing on the men with weapons so ready to be drawn.
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:34 am

Ilija watches the exchange between Mutti and the watchmen with continued interest, and immediately falls into step behind her as she follows them away. He tries to catch the gaze of his other companions with a concerned look. Stay alert.

Communication Test
Smarts: 1d8-2 = 4: 6, success
Wild Die: 1d6-2 = -1: 1

User avatar
Alba Dawnherald
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Alba Dawnherald » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:26 am

Alba frowns slightly at the watchman as he briefly touches his strange weapon. He nods at Illija's intimated message and follows on behind.

User avatar
Danyar
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:20 am
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Danyar » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:57 am

Notice
Notice 1d4: 2
Wild 1d6: 3
Traylon watches the exchange with the look of confusion on his face. He clearly cannot make out what is being said between his new compaion and the soldiers but, after a moment, they are motioned to follow them. The others he is with follow so, he steps in behind the others but, keeps his shield hand ready in case of a trap. This could become very interesting if I am unable to communicate with anyone else here.
Danyar
Parry 7
Toughness 6/9
Bennies 3/3
Gold Bennies0/1
Adventure Card: Zavonis, Guide my Shot. (Shooting Penalties reduced by 4 to minimum of 0)

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:16 pm

You get led through the streets towards a richer looking area of the town, though encounter few of the actual townsfolk despite the heavy feeling of being watched. The watchmen led the way towards one of the houses, an imposing manor set back a little from the streets with another watchman standing sentry beside the door. Inside, you are taken to a well appointed sitting room with a roaring fire in the fireplace. One of the watchmen stays with you and stands by the door, though he simply watches as you explore the room.

The room itself is furnished with floor to ceiling bookshelves, though only Mutti can actually read the titles of some of the books. There are also a pair of oil paintings, though none of you recognise the landscapes shown. On the mantelpiece above the fireplace is a small clockwork timepiece that steadily ticks away as the clock-face announces the time for all the world to see. Above the fireplace arranged in an 'X' is a pair of what you can guess to be weapons, they seen similar to the curious hand weapons carried by the watchmen but these specimens are almost as long as a quarterstaff.

Some time later man is shown into the room, he appears to be elderly and has the airs of a scholar. He peers at each of you through his spectacles before heading straight to Mutti. "Ah yes! You must be the...erm...golem?"

"Oh where are my manners?!" He exclaims before striking a hand out to shake one of Mutti's. "I'm Roland Thornedale, practitioner of and resident expert on matters of the arcane!"

"I'm told that you and your fellows may have bit of a language problem that I may be able to help with. Its been quite a while since we had any Outlanders, like you and your fellows, you see." Explained Roland. "I wish, with your consent, to cast a spell that would enable everyone to understand one another. Its a simple spell and I can keep it going for a couple of hours if needed, but long enough to suffice."

Note To All
Only Other Mother can understand anything of what this Roland chap is saying.
What Are You Doing?

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:16 pm

OOC Comments
Smarts 1d6-2 = 0: 2
Wild Smarts 1d6-2 = -1: 1
OtherMother looks over the room's contents with curiosity, especially the books, finding it interesting that the language here is so close to, but not quite her 'native' tongue.

When the others enter, she greets them formally, "I am not familiar with the word golem, but if that is the name for what I am, that is fine. You may call me OtherMother." At the man's offer, she gives a visible posture of relief. "Yes, that would be wonderful. Thank you for the kind offer." She attempts to convey the man's intent to the other two, but the effort is less than successful. Finally, she turns back to Roland. "I fear I must give consent on their behalf, as it will take far too long to actually explain enough to for them to accept. Please, invoke your magic."
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Alba Dawnherald
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Alba Dawnherald » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:40 pm

Alba awaits patiently, well as patiently as he is able at least. He clasps his hands behind his back, trying not to fidget.

He watches the elderly man, trying to decide if he is trustworthy.

Notice 1d6: 6 + 1d6: 3 total 9
Wild Notice 1d6: 6 + 1d6: 6 + 1d6: 6 + 1d6: 1 total 19

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:03 pm

Knowledge (magic) test to not be dumber than a sack of eggplants
Knowledge (magic): 1d6: 4, success
Wild die: 1d6: 4
Listening to the tone of Mutti's conversation with the old scholar, Ilija puts two and two together and gets four. He waits, patient and relaxed, for the wizard to cast his spell.

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:39 pm

"Well," Roland mutters, even though only half the people in the room can actually understand what he is saying. "Here goes nothing..."

The hairs (those whom have such things) on the back of your stand on end as the arcanist begins to chant and gesture with his hands, a noticeable static builds in the air. There is a curious, warm sensation round your throats as blue orbs appear there and increasingly glow brighter as the spell draws in its power. And then...


...it ends in somewhat of an anticlimax.

The energy in the air dissipates as the glowing blue orbs fade away, leaving you uncertain whether you actually any difference. Roland looks a little concerned and asks out loud. "You can all understand me right?"

Roland's Spell
Roland cast Speak Language on all four of you, though it is only temporary and Roland can only maintain it for 1 hour (or 100 rounds) with his pool of Power Points.

You all should be able to talk to and understand one another as well as the local NPCs.

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:50 pm

OtherMother looks at her companions. "We should be able to communicate now, yes?" As they confirm, she looks back to Roland. "Thank you, this will make explaining ourselves, as best we can at least, much easier. I wish to apologize for any trouble we have caused up until this point by our arrival, especially my error in thinking that poor woman's home was an inn." Her wooden features cannot blush, but her posture is certainly meek as she recalls that incident.

"I fear none of us truly know where we are. Is there a place where we can stay?"
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Alba Dawnherald
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Alba Dawnherald » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:50 am

The young paladin rubs at the back of his neck as the hairs stand on end and a small shiver runs down his back.
Alba has seen the priests of Lathander casts spells, the warm sensation and the appearance of the blue orbs signifies to him that something has happened.

And then he can understand the words of those around and a huge grin spreads across his face. Ha! I can understand you! I'm Alba, can you understand -me-?

User avatar
Danyar
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:20 am
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Danyar » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:13 am

"Well now, that is very interesting. I don't know exactly what just happened but, I thankful to be able to communicate. I am Tralon Vextren and I hope someone can explain exactly where we are and how I ended up here."

Tralon looks around at his companions and their host hoping to get some answers to his questions. Still not sure if this will become friendly or hostile situation.
Danyar
Parry 7
Toughness 6/9
Bennies 3/3
Gold Bennies0/1
Adventure Card: Zavonis, Guide my Shot. (Shooting Penalties reduced by 4 to minimum of 0)

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:59 pm

"I'm so glad that worked!" Roland says, sounding genuinely relieved. "It isn't often that I get to practice, shall we say, my art."

"Well, time is short and we'd best get down to business." Continued Roland. "You're currently in the town of Mordentshire, capital of the realm of Mordent."

"Hm, just as I'd thought..." Mutters Roland when he sees that there is no recognition from any of you. "If you'll forgive the term, you're what is referred as 'Outlanders'. Simply put, you're not native to Mordent or any of the other realms in the known world."

"Though I suppose you are fortunate to have arrived in civilised and enlightened lands, other realms would've been...less friendly." Roland pauses for a moment to take a sip of water before continuing on. "I've been led to believe that only one of you speaks Mordentish, hence why I and my magic were called upon. My spell, unfortunately, only lasts for a limited amount of time and I can already feel the fatigue creeping up on me. However, given a day or so I can produce magical amulets for you to wear and this be able to speak to one another as well as others."

"I'm told for tonight at least you have rooms here, the home of Mordentshire's sheriff, and an inn will be found for you in the morn. This will hopefully avoid any problems with communications and it isn't wise to be abroad at night." As if on cue and above the moan of the wind, you can hear the sound of dogs baying. The sound is faint, but sends shivers along your spine. "I'll do my best to answer any questions that you may have, though please keep in mind that time is against us."

What Are You Doing?

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:34 pm

OtherMother bows to him. "By grace of your arts, my companions are able to answer for themselves, but as for me, all the hospitality you and the sheriff offer are most welcome and greatly appreciated." She pauses, and her expression becomes more contemplative. (As a curiosity, here face does change expression s, but with limited granularity, seeming to go instantly from one arrangement of brows, lips, and eyelids to another, without actually seeming to move. Even her speech only causes her mouth to shift rapidly between a limited number of positions, so as to convey the idea of a normal speech mechanisms, rather than actually operating like a living mouth would.)

"I do have one question. You speak of a limited number of known realms in the world. Am I to understand we have come to some sort of island continent, or someplace similarly isolated?"
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Danyar
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:20 am
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Danyar » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:36 pm

Notice_5
Notice 1d4: 2
Wild 1d6: 5
I don't mean to sound harsh but, how exactly did we end up here and how do we get back to our homes? I have no judgement of this place as I know not of it's people or culture but, I wish to return to my home. From what I can surmise, nto one of us knows each other nor are from the same place.

Traylon watches their current host to see is an answer is forthcoming or if this will be some sort of mystery that will have to be worked out on their own. While waiting, he keeps watch around the room for any signs fo danger.
Danyar
Parry 7
Toughness 6/9
Bennies 3/3
Gold Bennies0/1
Adventure Card: Zavonis, Guide my Shot. (Shooting Penalties reduced by 4 to minimum of 0)

User avatar
Alba Dawnherald
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Alba Dawnherald » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:03 am

Any attempt to control his fidgety nature is forgotten almost as soon as he hears the others speak, he dashes forward and thrusts his hand out and begins to shake the old man’s hand. “Thank you very much Roland, it is very kind of you to help us like this!” He grins again and looks to each person in turn, openly staring and assessing them for the first time and shaking their hands also, if they let him.

“I am Alba Dawnherald, Paladin of Lathander the Morninglord, I know not where we are or how we came to this place, but it seems obvious to me that we have been chosen for a quest! There is something to be done, evil to defeat or someone to save!” He seems completely earnest and enthusiastic in his assertions.

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:04 pm

Ilija has been taking his time in reading the room, listening to his companions as their voices and concerns reach him in clear Taldane.

He is about to introduce himself when Roland answers OtherMother. Ilija accepts Alba's hand politely, if not enthusiastically (Alba might be struck at how chilly the scientist's grip is, even through a leather glove), but never takes his eyes off the old man, raising an eyebrow as the wizard finishes.

"What do you mean, 'time is against us?'"

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:10 pm

Roland listens to each of you in turn as questions are asked.

“I suppose the word ‘island’ could loosely be used to help describe things.” Concedes Roland. “Though one surrounded by sea of mist that is called the Misty Border. There are a number of realms on this so-called island despite Mordent; there is cultured Dementlieu to the north along with its lesser cousin Richemulot and the wild lands of Valachan and Verbrek to the south.”

“There are many others of course like Borca with whom we do a great deal of trade, as well as lonely and storm-wracked Lamordia. War-mongering Falkovnia is another realm that is uncomfortably close, though on its far side lies Darkon where it is rumoured that the dead walk beside the living.”

“Many more I haven’t mentioned, our time tonight is limited but I am happy to go into further details once I’ve completed those amulets I mentioned.”

“As I said my dear dwarf.” Roland said as he turned to Traylon. “You are all what we call ‘outlanders’ and you aren’t the first that have been encountered.”

“I’m aware that others before you have tried to find their way back from whence they came, though I’m not certain how well they fared.” Admitted Roland. “That said, I have heard whispers of people who have tried leaving this world. But that is something I’ll have to go into more detail at a later time.”

“Quite…” Muttered Roland, somewhat taken aback by the paladin’s sudden and forthright nature. “Though curious you should say that.”

“Unless I’m mistaken I believe there is deity in this world known as the Morninglord. I confess that I do not know much about the religion that surrounds him, though I believe he has a small following and it may be something for you to investigate.”

"Oh? Sorry..." Roland quickly apologies to Ilija. "By 'time against you' I meant more the spel that currently allows you to talk to one another, it only has a limited duration and I can feel the fatigue creeping up on me. But I have mentioned amulets which will be a more permanent version of the spell."

What Are You Doing?

User avatar
Alba Dawnherald
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Alba Dawnherald » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:22 am

And suddenly, Alba is aware of how has just acted and his face flushes red. He is just a 13 year old young kid again, barely a man, if a man at all, in many cultures.

He'd had no intention of being so bold, so open about himself or his thoughts but that is his curse. Acting rashly, fidgeting and his inability to read have always gone hand in hand for Alba. No matter how hard the priests tried to educate him, it just wouldn't stick, but fighting was never a problem. Neither was invoking Lathander's power.

His face livid, he mumbles an apology and moves to the edge of the room, where he stands, hands clenched together to keep them from absently picking up the interesting things nearby.

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:29 pm

OtherMother tilts her head. "Surrounded by mist? And yet, there is no known road through it? How very strange.... I shall be honest, unlike some of my companions, I have no home to return to, so for me this is less disquieting, if you think I could find a place in your community." A pause. "I understand, of course, that some people are... unnerved by my presence. But if you can set that aside, I believe I have talents you may all find quite useful." Her expression converts to a smile, once more. "Well, that answers all of my questions for now, I think. When the others are done, we can go to our quarters for the night." She bows to the sheriff. "Thank you again for hosting us."
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:36 pm

"Yes, by mist." Roland replied, though the fatigue looks as though its beginning to catch up on him. "Though travel through it appears to be possible, just....uncertain."

"My apologies though, maintaining the spell is becoming tiresome for me and so I think it best to call it a night." Added Roland, stifling a yawn. "I promise to come round in the morn with those amulets I spoke of, but I will maintain the spell for a short while longer to allow you to make requests for food and the like. I will speak with the servants of the house about picture cards, least to enable requests for basic needs to be met."

"Believe you'll meet the actual master of the house, Sheriff Finhallen, in the morn. He's been called away to discuss important matters with the mayor."

True to his words, Roland maintains the spell a little longer despite how fatigued it is making him. Some of the household staff enter the room to take requests for food and to show you to your rooms, Roland bids you farewell and leaves the picture cards as a parting gift.

A Parting Gift
Roland's picture cards makes communication a little easier by providing a point of reference to work from, as such they +2 on Language rolls made to convey simple requests (such as for food and drink) or messages.

Also

Now's the chance to round out your character a little with Interludes, full details can be found here; viewtopic.php?f=193&t=3593

For an extra Benny, you write a bit about something your character does or their backstory.

Alba - 4 of Spades

Ilija - 6 of Spades

Other Mother - 9 of Diamonds

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:22 pm

OOC Comments
8 DIAMONDS
Downtime: The character studies or works on an object of some sort. What is it?

Embroidery on her blanket. +1 Benny.
OtherMother bows in gratitude. "I do not eat, in the normal fashion, but I do require a kind of self-maintenance. If I might have a small amount of soap and oil before I go to bed tonight, it would be helpful." She then takes the cards. "Thank you, I am certain these will be helpful."

She bows again, and once the others are ready, she heads to the room provided. Once there, she first applies a small amount of oil to her joints, and applies more to the wood of her face and arms, before using a small amount of soap as a seal.

This task completed, she then goes into her pack, unfurling the blanket therein. Taking thread and needle from her first aid kit, she sits by the room's candle, and begins working on embroidering the blanket. Already in one corner are images of a small child with too-large eyes and points on her ears; now in another corner, she begins stitching in the outlines of other faces, the outlines matching the skin tones and hair colors of her new associates. She continues to work silently in front of the window, lit by candlelight, until the first light of dawn, where she folds the blanket carefully, tucking it into her pack, and making her way down to join her companions.
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:12 pm

Ilija requests red meat, prepared rare, and perhaps a glass of red wine if it is available. He stays in his room only long enough to finish dinner before the buzzing in his skull compels him to the streets, against his hosts' advice. Passing through the drawing room, he quickly sifts through the picture cards, selects one, and pockets it before leaving.

No stranger to the dangers of so-called civilization nor to the threat of creatures of the night, Ilija lights a torch and seeks out a patrol of watchmen.
Communication Test
Smarts: 1d8: 6, success
Wild Die: 1d6: 3
Displaying the card he removed from the deck at the watch captain's house, portraying a pair of hands clasped in greeting, Ilija explains his desire to join the patrol and follows them in silence as he takes in the layout of Mordentshire. He has so many questions, most of which he is certain even the old, learned Roland could not answer.

What is the connection between this strange place and Numeria? Why does it seem so similar to Ustalav? How is it that one of his new companions is a construct? Are such constructs common here? Certainly, no one seems troubled by or even inquisitive about OtherMother's presence.

Ilija finds it more and more difficult to maintain an appropriately objective perspective on this alien place as the unknowns mount. He finds himself continually returning to a self-indulgent, "Why me?" The obvious answer is, of course, that he was not "chosen;" in the absence of complete data, the only logical assumption is that his "companions" feel similarly singled out by this assault, and that the reality is that none of them actually have been.

But such a thing! And such coincidence! Ilija shakes his head. The first thing to do is learn as much about this place as possible. He is unaware of any reports of being drawn into such a land through the ruins of Numeria, and if he ever returns to Avistan, there would be much interest in his findings. And if this place is as rich in constructs as the reactions of the Mordentish suggested... perhaps there is no reason to hurry away.

Ilija follows the patrol until it disbands at the end of the watchmen's shift, and begs the use of a table in the watchhouse. He composes some quick notes about Mordentshire and his predicament before sleeping fitfully in his chair until morning. He then returns to the watch captain's house.

User avatar
Alba Dawnherald
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Alba Dawnherald » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:49 am

4 of SPADES - Downtime: The character spends time alone in quiet contemplation. What does he do?

Communication 1d4+2 = 4: 2
Wild Communication 1d6+2 = 4: 2

Alba uses the cards to ask for a simple meal of bread, cheese and water and indicates a desire for a bowl of hot water to be brought to his room. He makes his way up to his room and waits patiently for them to be brought to him.

After the items are brought to him, Alba removes his sword and armour and washes himself before dressing again in clean clothing from his pack. He places his shield, emblazoned with the holy symbol of his god, upon the bed, resting it against the wall so that it stands on its on.

A simple shrine erected, Alba begins to pray silently, he thanks his god for giving him the opportunity to prove himself and for bringing him safely to this strange land.

Prayers concluded, the young man picks up his armour and inspects for rust or damage. Finding none he oils it and turns to his sword, doing the same for it as he did with the armour. He takes out his whetstone, applies oil and begins to buff out a nick be discovered in the blade.

Content with his preparations, he sleeps until just before sunrise when he dresses and opens the shutters to greet the dawn. He sets up his shrine again and thanks Lathander for bringing the new day..

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:40 am

Note to Players
Have an extra Bennie for doing the Interludes.
The night passes largely uneventful, though there are frequent howls during the hours of darkness but its hard to tell whether they're hounds, wolves or something else...

Most curious is the feeling of being watched, yet nobody actually being there when you look round. Morning duly arrives and the servants lay out a breakfast for you as you enter the dining room, though the master of the house still appears to be away on business. Partway through breakfast, Roland arrives with the amulets as promised and hands you one each as he indicates for you to wear them. "As promised, you should be able to freely talk to those you encounter without hindrance...least long as they also speak Mordentish."

"They'll do for Mordent and some of the neighbouring realms, beyond that I'd advise picking up one of the so-called 'trade' languages." Roland adds. "No doubt you've got questions to as-..."

There is a sound of a commotion from the hallway outside moments before another man enters the room with a scowl on his face. At first glance he appears to be another watchman, though his uniform is more ornate and he wears a silver chain of office. He looks each of you up and down before speaking. "So yer the outsiders I've been told 'bouts?"

"I'm Finhallen, the sheriff o' this town and the house ye now stand in." The man introduces himself. "We've been having trouble with some hounds as o' late, mostly livestock and remote homesteads, but last night they killed a man on the outskirts o' town."

“The mayor has authorized me ta deputize all the able-bodied folk o' the town ta put an end ta these hounds. We’re going ta search out these dogs’ lair. They’ve killed one o' the shepherds, and he’ll be the last ta die if I have any say in the matter.” Finhallen continues. "Ye seem like a capable lot and I'm prepared ta offer coin fer yer troubles, so wot say ye?"

What Are You Doing?

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:24 pm

OtherMother takes the amulet and dons it, her face switching to 'grateful smile'. "Thank you so much, again, for this effort, good Roland." She notes that with the amulet on, the 'dialect' issue isn't so pronounced; it's more akin to an accent, now. She sits and listens as he explains about the existence of 'trade languages', which do indeed sound useful to pick up, and is about to ask more when the Sheriff bursts in with his request.

Standing, she nods to him, face now serious. "That poor man. Given your gracious hospitality, sir, I don't think I would be able to find it in myself to refuse your request. My skills, such as they are, are at your service. If nothing else, I am an adept hand at first aid, so should be able to address any injuries the hunters receive while we are in the field." She considers a moment, then adds. "Assuming we are going to begin the hunt from the site of the attack, will it be possible for me to examine the body? I may be able to ascertain the size of the beasts, give us a bit more idea what to expect."

Her offer done, she waits for the others to speak, or for the Sheriff to simply head off expecting them to follow--he does seem that sort of man, really.
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:31 am

Ilija accepts Roland's amulet and dons it immediately, thanking the wizard almost before the enchantment takes hold. "Хвала вам-- Thank you, Roland. Now that you have kindly removed this hindrance, when time allows, I should like to sit with you and discuss what you know of Mordent and this... 'Misty Border' phenomenon. If you are amenable. Perhaps I can offer knowledge of my homelands and the magic we use there as recompense -- sage to sage."

In response to the Sheriff's request, he replies, "You have given us shelter and food, and asked for nothing in payment, Sheriff. My sword is yours if for no other reason than I prefer to neither court nor sustain debt. But if you would give my companions and I a moment, our late situation has prevented us from making adequate introduction. I would know the names of those beside whom I draw steel, and I would have them know me."

He turns to his fellow outsiders and bows curtly. "My name is Ilija Borisov. I am a scientist and scholar from a realm called the River Kingdoms, in a land known as Avistan, on the world of Golarion. I am sure this carries no meaning for you, but neither was there benefit in you being ignorant of it. I am trained in arts both martial and arcane, but I am first and foremost a field researcher, not a soldier. I will do my utmost to not be a burden to you."

User avatar
Alba Dawnherald
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Alba Dawnherald » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:50 am

Alba smiles widely as he accepts his amulet and listens to the others introduce themselves, having already surprised them with his enthusiastic introduction he manages to keep himself from doing so again.

He does, however, turn to Roland, “Thanks again, good sir. I agree with the others, surviving this land would be almost impossible without this aid you have given. Please feel free to call on me one day to repay this debt.”

The Sheriff’s interruption wipes the smile from his face and he listens calmly to the tale. “I new there would be great tasks for us to complete here, why else would we have been brought to this...place! I have some small skill with my blade, sir, and my god blessed me with some miraculous magics to aid me in my duties. I ... we...would be delighted to aid you. Lead the way, Lord Sheriff.”

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:10 pm

Roland smiles weakly and mumbles farewells and wishes for good luck.

"C'mon then, the mists have cleared...best make the most o' it." Grumbles Sheriff Finhallen before he leads the way outside to where some watchmen and deputised townsfolk await. Once on the street, Finhallen addresses the assembled crowd. "We'll cover the mire up ta the old Wescote estate, the hounds are bound ta have their lair 'tween here and there. Move out!"

The crowd is strangely quiet as they head out, though almost soon as you leave town the fog begins to descend. Finhallen walks with you and is amiable enough to answer questions. He mentions a little about the history of the Wescote estate, mentions something about a wedding and a murder some time ago. Though far as he is aware, the estate lies abandoned and its a place where people tend to steer well clear of.

Eventually, the hunters arrive at the site of Shepherd Dawson’s cottage. It is a ramshackle little place, badly weathered by the harsh climate of the area. The building is secure, and holds no clues within as to what might have killed the shepherd. Around the back of the building are the sheep pens, which are strangely silent. Once you round the cottage, you can see why.

Every single sheep has had its throat torn out. Lying in the middle of the pen is the body of a middle-aged man.

"Someone's got a morbid sense of humor," Finhallen says. He gestures towards the body of the shepherd. The man's throat has been torn open by some creature, jagged tears surround the wound. Standing over the corpse is a straw sculpture of a dog, a large hound patched together with mud. There is blood dripping from the thorny teeth of the figure. As you look, an icy blast of wind blows the beast apart, scattering the straw and leaving only a few bloodstained stalks of hay to mark where it once stood.
Suggested Actions
Notice rolls are going to be important here, though you have three options for which to use the Notice roll on; The sheep pen (includes the late shepherd Dawson), Dawson's cottage and the ground surrounding the cottage.

Also, post any questions that you may have for Finhallen.
What Are You Doing?

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:54 pm

Notice 3, Healing 16
Notice (Sheep Pen) 1d6-2 = 0: 2
Wild Notice 1d6-2 = 3: 5
-2 is due to Clueless Hindrance

Healing 1d6: 6 ACE 1d6+6 = 12: 6 ACE 1d6+12 = 16: 4
Wild Healing 1d6: 3
OtherMother makes a distressed sound as they see the body, and the grotesque straw dog is blown away. Ignoring almost everything (and everyone) else, she moves over to him, and begins examining the gaping wound with an expression that would be called 'wooden' even if it were on a breathing human being.

Even as she does her examination, though, observers might note her almost reflexive efforts to 'soothe' the dead man--she strokes his forehead (and, if his eyes are still open, closes them gently); she even murmurs a small lullaby as she works, examining the man for other injuries, as well as trying to determine whatever she can about the creature who did this.

Once done, she returns to the Sheriff to report what she has found.
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Alba Dawnherald
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Alba Dawnherald » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:06 am

OOC Comments
Notice 1d6: 3
Wild notice 1d6: 2
Spend 1 Bennie to reroll - notice 1d6: 1
While OtherMother is examining the farmer's corpse, Alba walks around the house searching for anything unusual. Unfortunately he finds nothing.
Last edited by Alba Dawnherald on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:55 am

"Is that common?" Ilija asks the sheriff, indicating the clods of muddy straw blowing across the hillside. "I have some small experience with monster attacks and local superstitions, but I've never known people to mock the dead or their grisly fate in such a way."

Ilija looks over the ground surrounding the cottage, paying particular attention to the bloody remains of the now-destroyed effigy. He keeps an eye out for tracks and any symbology that might indicate ritualistic behavior.

Tests
Notice: 1d6: 5
Wild Die: 1d6: 1
Investigation: 1d6: 5
Wild Die: 1d6: 3
Knowledge (Magic): 1d6: 1
Wild Die: 1d6: 1
((Oof. Clearly, despite his rather effective examination of the hillside, whatever is true about the magical nature of the effigy and the scene, Ilija is powerfully convinced of the opposite.))

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:50 am

OtherMother's examination of the mortally challenged shepherd reveal little beyond cause of death, one shared by the sheep of having his throat torn out. From the size of the wound it is a safe bet that a large hound was most likely the culprit who attacked and killed both herd and man.

"No, I don't believe it is." Answers the sheriff, clearly disturbed by the effigy. "We Mordentish have proper customs and respect when it comes ta the dead. The Vistani on the other hand, who knows with those cursed gypsies."

Ilija's efforts to investigate the area turn a couple of noteworthy if somewhat puzzling facts.

The first is that the only tracks leading to the site are the late shepherd's and the hound that, presumably, killed him and the sheep, but there are no other prints to indicate that the effigy was placed there by a third party. Additionally, the hound's tracks end where the effigy stood and do not appear to lead away.

Neither symbology or any wards appear to be present, the site of effigy just seems to be a pile of bloodstained mud and straw.

What Are You Doing?

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:35 am

Survival (Tracking) 8
Follow the tracks 1d6: 6 ACE 1d6+6 = 8: 2
Wild Survival 1d6: 5

OtherMother tells the sheriff that the assailant is almost certainly a large hound or a wolf, probably the former. "Wretched beast probably is feral, perhaps even rabid, given the severity of the attack. If the latter, a bite could end tragically, even if it seems minor--please remind your men to be careful."

When the others report their findings, she nods. "The effigy is a mystery, but perhaps we shall learn the truth of it in time. For now, I think it best we assist the sheriff in the hunt." Putting deed to word, she begins following the tracks as it goes off into the forest.
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Alba Dawnherald
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Alba Dawnherald » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:49 am

Alba draws his sword and follows Mother into the woods.

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:52 am

stormwell wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:50 am
Neither symbology or any wards appear to be present, the site of effigy just seems to be a pile of bloodstained mud and straw.
((That is not good.))

Ilija nods and follows OtherMother and Alba, doing his best to walk alongside the sheriff. "Someone went to some trouble to make it look like their foul sculpture walked here on its own and killed the shepherd. Tell me more about these 'Vistani,'" he asks.

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:40 am

"Brigands and thieves the lot o' 'em." Grumbles Finhallen. "Don't trust any o 'em further than I can throw 'em, though they do seem ta have a way with the mists."

"Hold it!" Finhallen calls out as the group makes to follow the tracks into the bog, now largely obscured by the mists that have closed in heavily once again. Firstly we need to split inta smaller groups ta help cover more ground. Secondly, I wish this blasted fog would clear. It was gone for a short time this morning, but it’s really come back with a vengeance. It’ll make tracking harder. We’re going to have to have a system to keep track of each other. Any suggestions?”

Note to Players
Opportunity to earn another bennie, suggest a method or a system to allow the various groups to keep track of one another.
What Are You Doing?

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:56 am

OtherMother blinks at being called back, but complies. She considers the matter for a moment. "With the fog, I imagine lights will be fairly useless beyond a short distance. My former charge and I used to play a game where we would blow out the candles and move around the attic, each ringing a bell, until we found one another--perhaps some similar noise-maker could suffice? Does the farm have any cowbells, for instance?"
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:47 am

Finhallen details a handful of men to search the cottage, but they return empty handed. "Good idea I suppose. Think yer on the right track...perhaps shout out every few minutes."

"Me other concern is that ya a wee bit light on the numbers front." Commented Finhallen, glancing round at the crowd of people. "Constable Cooper! Shift yer arse over here and bring ya scout friend!"

One of the watchmen comes over at the sheriff's command, along with a diminutive looking lass.

What Are You Doing?

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:58 am

"More hands are always welcome in such work," Ilija acknowledges, nodding in thanks to the Sheriff and to his men. "But can you be certain that this fog is different in origin than the mist that Roland claims brought my companions and me to this place? It seems to me that all the noise in the world won't be sufficient if we find ourselves suddenly separated by leagues -- or more esoteric measures of distance."

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:33 pm

OtherMother steps forward and nods to the two newcomers. "More hands are definitely helpful. I am OtherMother." Not every day an animated dressmaker's dummy with a wooden head introduces herself....
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Samuel Cooper
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Samuel Cooper » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:44 am

stormwell wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:47 am
"Me other concern is that ya a wee bit light on the numbers front." Commented Finhallen, glancing round at the crowd of people. "Constable Cooper! Shift yer arse over here and bring ya scout friend!"
Notice and/or Occult
Notice to check out what I might have discovered up until this point, or possibly a ghost?

Notice: 1d8+2 = 8: 6 (+2 Investigator)
Wild: 1d6+2 = 4: 2

And occult in case anything I find has a creepy slant to it.
Occult: 1d8: 6
Wild: 1d6: 6
Ace: 1d6+6 = 9: 3
Samuel’s investigation is interrupted by the sheriff’s orders. That would have been an annoyance all of its own, if not for the newcomers. Samuel’s face darkens as he realizes the intent.

“Yes, sir,” he responds, turning to approach the outlanders.

His hands move excitedly as he motions to Kaya.

One mishandled case,’ he signals in handtalk, ’and suddenly the ignorant outlanders need to be chaperoned. They aren’t even aware of the Mist!’

He greets everyone flatly, “Hello, I am Samuel. This is Kaya. We’re old friends, but she is competent and her skills are useful in my line of work.”
Samuel Cooper
Samuel Cooper, Human Lamplighter
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6(1) Toughness: 5(1)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Cursed: Allies suffer -2 to use beneficial magic on you, and enemies gain +2 when using harmful magic on you.
  • Berserk: Smarts roll or become Berserk after being Wounded or Shaken by damage. At any time while berserk, may roll Smarts -2 (as a free action) to remove Berserk.
  • Brave: Add +2 to Fear checks and subtract 2 from Fear Table results.
  • Ghost Sight: Is always aware of ghosts; +2 vs Fear checks and only roll a d12 on the Fear Table from Ghosts.
  • Marksman: If no movement in a turn, may ignore 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Range, Scale, or Speed. This stacks with Aim and applies to each Shooting or throwing action that turn.
  • Musketeer: Reduces Reload of black powder weapons by 1. Gain +1 on Fighting rolls with bayonets or while using firearms as improvised weapons.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2
Bennies: 3/3
Adventure Cards
  • Deadly Blow: Play after damage is rolled to double the total of a successful melee attack.
  • Speedy Gonzales: Expend this card to gain +2 to your Pace for the rest of the scene.
Edit Signature

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:40 am

The dress-maker dummy-golem nods to Samuel. "Well met. I trust we will be able to assist you properly." As she faces him, her own hands dance in a familiar pattern to him. And do not think of this as a punishment; chaperoning is an honorable position. I've done it for years. Aloud, she continues. "These are Ilja and Alba. Our talents are at your disposal, Constable."
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Samuel Cooper
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Samuel Cooper » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:51 pm

OtherMother wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:40 am
The dress-maker dummy-golem nods to Samuel. "Well met. I trust we will be able to assist you properly." As she faces him, her own hands dance in a familiar pattern to him. And do not think of this as a punishment; chaperoning is an honorable position. I've done it for years. Aloud, she continues. "These are Ilja and Alba. Our talents are at your disposal, Constable."
@Freemage
Samuel's mouth drops a fraction when he see's the golem's response in handtalk. He has the good graces to even blush a bit.

"Thank you, I hope we can all work well together and solve this mystery," he says while responding to OtherMother with handtalk, 'I apologize for my rudeness. My temper has been getting the better of me as of late.'
Samuel Cooper
Samuel Cooper, Human Lamplighter
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6(1) Toughness: 5(1)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Cursed: Allies suffer -2 to use beneficial magic on you, and enemies gain +2 when using harmful magic on you.
  • Berserk: Smarts roll or become Berserk after being Wounded or Shaken by damage. At any time while berserk, may roll Smarts -2 (as a free action) to remove Berserk.
  • Brave: Add +2 to Fear checks and subtract 2 from Fear Table results.
  • Ghost Sight: Is always aware of ghosts; +2 vs Fear checks and only roll a d12 on the Fear Table from Ghosts.
  • Marksman: If no movement in a turn, may ignore 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Range, Scale, or Speed. This stacks with Aim and applies to each Shooting or throwing action that turn.
  • Musketeer: Reduces Reload of black powder weapons by 1. Gain +1 on Fighting rolls with bayonets or while using firearms as improvised weapons.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2
Bennies: 3/3
Adventure Cards
  • Deadly Blow: Play after damage is rolled to double the total of a successful melee attack.
  • Speedy Gonzales: Expend this card to gain +2 to your Pace for the rest of the scene.
Edit Signature

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:55 pm

'Yeah...' Kaya, whilst trying to stifle a chuckle, said in handtalk. 'Ignorant outlanders as ye say.'

"The tracks lead north-east, nothing that way 'cept the old Wescote place..." Kaya says out loud after she'd examine the tracks. "Tis a derelict, so mebbe tis their lair?"

"Perhaps lass..." Finhallen replies, looking a little uneasy as he eyes dart about expecting an attack at any moment. "Best get a move on, it'll be dark 'fore long."

"As fer the mist, tis what it is." Replied Finhallen to Ilija's comment. "Ye should be in good hands with Kara."

"Alright, lets quit standing round like little old ladies and get getting our boots muddy!" The sheriff calls out to the crowd before trooping into the mist. It quickly becomes clear that it is a good thing that Finhallen insisted on communication, for visibility out here is limited to less than 20 feet. You cannot even make out the group next to yours, but the communication flows well, with shouts coming up and down the line every few minutes. Still, the whole hunting party is spreading out, becoming more and more dispersed.

Suddenly, a mournful yowling rises. It sounds as if scores of dogs are howling in unison. The eerie sound of the dogs grows louder as the sounds of the other hunting party groups diminishes. Suddenly there are screams of pain and surprise in the distance, as well as the bays of hunting dogs. It sounds as though another group of the deputies is being attacked!

What Are You Doing?

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:15 pm

Focus 5
Cast Protection on all 5 of this party. (5 PP)
Modifiers: More Protection (+1), Toughness (+2)
Total Cost: 8 PP

Invoking Protection 1d8: 1
Wild Focus 1d6: 3

Reroll Benny

Invoking Protection 1d8: 5
Wild Focus 1d6: 5
Success!
+4 Toughness to all 5 members of the group.

OtherMother cries out in the direction opposite the dogs (and thus, to the next adjacent team), "Some of the men are being attacked! This way!" Then she turns her lantern towards the noise, and starts in that direction--though she will happily allow the more martially inclined individuals to step in front of her. As they get closer to the disturbance, she makes a hand gesture. Her handtalk-savvy companions will recognize the gesture as meaning, "No harm shall come to you."

For a moment, nothing happens, then a soft glow appears around herself and each of her companions. It fades almost instantly, to the point where one could almost think it was a trick of the light in the mist....
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Samuel Cooper
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Samuel Cooper » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:50 pm

"Quickly, but stick together!" Cooper cautions his allies when OtherMother runs off.

Samuel brings his well-crafted musket to bear. He pours a black powder into the tube and stuffs a metal ball down after it. Then Samuel points it into the mist, ready to fire at a moments notice.

Samuel racks his brain for any information that might be useful in identifying and deterring whatever beasts are assaulting his fellow lamplighters.
Occult 7, CK 2

Occult: 1d8: 7
Wild: 1d6: 2

CK: 1d4: 2
Wild: 1d6: 2
Samuel Cooper
Samuel Cooper, Human Lamplighter
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6(1) Toughness: 5(1)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Cursed: Allies suffer -2 to use beneficial magic on you, and enemies gain +2 when using harmful magic on you.
  • Berserk: Smarts roll or become Berserk after being Wounded or Shaken by damage. At any time while berserk, may roll Smarts -2 (as a free action) to remove Berserk.
  • Brave: Add +2 to Fear checks and subtract 2 from Fear Table results.
  • Ghost Sight: Is always aware of ghosts; +2 vs Fear checks and only roll a d12 on the Fear Table from Ghosts.
  • Marksman: If no movement in a turn, may ignore 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Range, Scale, or Speed. This stacks with Aim and applies to each Shooting or throwing action that turn.
  • Musketeer: Reduces Reload of black powder weapons by 1. Gain +1 on Fighting rolls with bayonets or while using firearms as improvised weapons.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2
Bennies: 3/3
Adventure Cards
  • Deadly Blow: Play after damage is rolled to double the total of a successful melee attack.
  • Speedy Gonzales: Expend this card to gain +2 to your Pace for the rest of the scene.
Edit Signature

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:22 pm

Activating Cloak of Norgorber
Weird Science: 1d10: 5, success
Wild Die: 1d6: 5, success
Ilija draws Doloras' Quill and settles into a defensive stance, advancing after OtherMother and Samuel. He thumbs the control on his Cloak of Norgorber, and the mysterious device thrums to life. His outline becomes dark and smudged, and he becomes difficult to look at directly.

[[-3 PP, -2 to enemy attacks, duration 5]]

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Wed May 01, 2019 7:14 am

As you try to go to the aid of the other group, the mist seems to close in even closer and you seem to get turned around. The cries of the other deputies fall silent, though a short while later you hear a howl close by and the sound of a pack of hounds circling you. The mist makes it impossible to see anything and soon the noises of the beasts, the panting and padding of their feet, goes quiet but a strong feeling of dread tells you that the hounds are still there.

Note to Players
Need Notice rolls from you all please.
What Are You Doing?

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Wed May 01, 2019 7:32 am

Notice 3
Notice 1d4-2 = -1: 1
Wild Notice 1d6-2 = 3: 5
As the mists close in and the visibility drops even further, OtherMother finds herself blind to all but her immediate compatriats. She turns to Samuel. "Well, Constable Cooper? How should we proceed?" This is his homeland, after all, and thus it seems wisest to turn to him for leadership in the current circumstance.
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Tue May 07, 2019 10:28 am

Notice test
Notice: 1d6: 3, failure
Wild Die: 1d6: 2, failure

User avatar
stormwell
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by stormwell » Wed May 15, 2019 7:14 am

It is Kaya's sharp eyes who first spot the...things lurking in the mist before they strike, she quickly notches an arrow and takes aim. However, the creatures suddenly bay and lounge out of the mist and you hear Kaya yelp in fright as her arrow sails high into the air and vanishes into the mists. Now clearly visible the beasts are revealed to be eyeless hounds made of mud and straw, very much alive as they go in for the kill. One hound manages to land a savage blow upon the paladin Alba, the others you barely manage to beat back their snapping jaws.

Combat Time!
First of all, I am going to need Fear rolls at -2 (technically it should be higher but I'm feeling kind) from each of you.

Alba takes 17 damage already (you'll need to subtract your lowest armour value Toughness and then divide by 4 for number of wounds).

Then, presuming nothing serious comes of your Fear checks, the initiative order is as follows;

Samuel
Kaya - (Failed Fear check, Stunned from The Mark of Fear)
OtherMother
Ilija
Hounds
Alba

Just post your actions and I'll resolve things in my post next week.

User avatar
OtherMother
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Into The Mists

Post by OtherMother » Wed May 15, 2019 8:23 am

Failed Fear, Major Phobia: Dogs, Heal 2 Wounds on Alba
Fear w/Outlander 1d8-4 = 1: 5
Wild Fear 1d6-4 = -2: 2
FAIL: 1d20+4 = 20: 16
Major Phobia. I think it's obviously got to be fear of dogs... which means OtherMother will be at -4 for the rest of this combat.

Move to Alba, cast Healing (-4 from Phobia, +2 from Healer)
Focus 1d8-2 = -1: 1
Wild Focus 1d6-2 = 4: 6 ACE 1d6+4 = 8: 4

Heals up to 2 Wounds on Alba (assuming he doesn't die from the initial attack).
Seeing the straw-things shakes OtherMother to her very core--something about them, about how she could very well have been like them, had her Creator been more malicious, leaves a bit of a scar on her soul. Still, one of her companions is in trouble--she rushes over to Alba as the knight takes a vicious bite, and immediately attempts to soothe his pain, kissing his forehead. Amazingly, the wounds begin to close....
Other Mother, Created
Stats
Agility: d4; Smarts: d6; Vigor: d6; Strength: d6; Spirit: d8
Pace 6/d6; Parry 5;
Skills:
Healing d6
Fighting d4
Survival d6
Repair d6
Focus d8
Perform d6
Common Knowledge d4 (-4)
Stealth d4
Athletics d4
Notice d4 (-2)
Language (Faerie) d8
Language (Mordentish) d8
Language (Handtalk) d8
Fear d6-2
Dark Powers: d6+2

Edges:
Linguist: Faerie, Mordentish, Handtalk
Arcane Background: Gifted
Powers: Relief, healing, empathy, protection, environmental protection

Hindrances:
Vow-Major: Protect children at all costs; Clueless; Outsider; Outlander; Code of Honor; Can't Swim; Iron Allergy

PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3

User avatar
Ilija Borisov
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Into The Mists

Post by Ilija Borisov » Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 am

Fear Test
Spirit less Outlander penalty: 1d6-3 = -1: 2, failure
Wild Die less Outlander penalty: 1d6-3 = -2: 1, failure
Fear table: 1d20+3 = 9: 6, vulnerable (+2 to enemy attacks)
Ilija's eyes dart about from straw beast to straw beast. He takes a step back, and one of the false dogs leaps through the ragged edges of his form, tearing at formless shadows with its muddy jaws. Ilija snarls. "But what is their motive force?" he growls in disbelief, and lashes out in a wide arc at his attacker, with the razor edge of Doloras' Quill.

Wild Attack
No penalty, as already vulnerable
Fighting plus Wild Attack bonus: 1d4+2 = 6: 4, die explodes: 1d4: 1, total result: 7
Wild Die plus Wild Attack bonus: 1d6+2 = 7: 5
Damage (if applicable): 1d8: 4 plus 1d6: 3 plus Wild Attack bonus, total result: 9

Post Reply

Return to “Adventure Forum”