Part 2: Ride Out! Yeaahaw!

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Part 2: Ride Out! Yeaahaw!

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

The journey to the township of Uncanny Valley is about three days' ride from Fort Ohm.„
Gus, Henrietta, and sheriff Earp stood on the steps of the rangers office and waved goodbye to the posse as they headed out to the Uncanny Valley to collect Bot Masterson. Even as they passed by the Rusty Sunset they see Sonja and the card shark Woody waving. Woody seemed to be doing worse than usual. His wave was slow and ill timed. Even his face seemed to be sagging more than normal. Strokes just plain sucked. Sonja tossed the group a few bottles of wiskey and flashed them a winning smile.

She said, with a bit of sauce, tossing her red hair back, ” Safe journey rangers, see ya’ll in a week or so.”

Day One Fort Ohm was surrounded by these gigantic metal towers of arching electricity that provided a modicum of safety. Without them the city would be vulnerable to attack from the bots that were reportedly scattered across the plains. The landscape outside Fort Ohm was made up mostly of plains with a few rolling hills. A dry, yellowing grass grew tall and wild as the posse moved farther away from the safety of the Tesla towers. As the wind shifted, it created a rustling sound that made the deputies jumpy. Dark clouds in the distance threatened to bring rain, but otherwise the ride was uneventful.

Mica the fair and buxom deputy whom frequented mid tier whore houses, not for the savage sex but to remind herself of how far she had come, sat all cozy up in the wagon that was being drawn by a brown proud horse. The wagon was an armored one fit for a criminal of a particular persuasion. Without it the group would have been relegated to a normal carriage but after Edison had stolen it Nita and Crank had been able to track it down. Ole Eddy had hidden it underneath a burlap tarp behind fort Ohm’s own electric galvanized power plant.

The brown haired deputy did not say much until the sky darkened in the east and then she started spoutin all sorts of jumbo mumbo, “I reckon it looks like a storm is movin in.” Mica looked at the few swaying tall grasses with a bit of concern,”Wind is picking up By the looks of it, it’ll probably miss Fort Ohm. Cumulonimbus if I am not mistaken. Too bad it ain’t headed our way…” She gave Charlotte a wink, “Might be a good time to get all cozy by a roaring fire.” She spat out a bit of tar and kept an eye on the clouds never letting her rifle out of hand.

Behind her came a bit of a hoarse laugh. Lucky, narrow nosed and eyes so close together folks said he was Lucky to see straight, laughed again. He was riding a short pinto horse, that almost looked cartoonish with how tall he was. He had a nose for a crooked game and had lost his shirt on more than one occasion. He pulled along side Sir Andy and cracked a smile laughing, “Haha, you hear Mica… I reckon she spent a bit too much time in the clouds.“ His eye wandered around Sir Andrew Cross’ horse. Lucky was a well known horse trader and in some lesser known circles a bit of a horse thief. “Say Andy, maybe when we make camp you and I play a game of cards… If I win we swap horses, and if you win… Heck if you win, I’ll set you up with my half sister Sonja over at the Rusty Sunset. I hear she’s even been to England.”

Riding a black mare full of spite and more hatred than Bull’s face was Danson, the ranger Grandpa pulled out of the Gilded Rose. He hollered, “Stow it you two! We’ve been ridin for most of the day, we got a nice hollow coming up. Perfect place to make camp. But this weather... Keep an eye sharp.” Danson was a soldier during the last bot war. Hard boiled as they came and self appointed chaperone of any and all knuckle heads. As he rode passed Bull he nodded and whispered, “Son when we get back to the fort, I know a doc who can fix yer face. In the meantime don’t look the horses directly in the eye.”
2BC5C07B-EF18-44BC-A458-E245AE118558.jpeg
2BC5C07B-EF18-44BC-A458-E245AE118558.jpeg (22.3 KiB) Viewed 18419 times
The posse settled in for the evening around a group of tall pine trees about twenty in all. Out here on the yellow rolling hills it was the only thing to pass as shelter against the wind that was sure to pick up. Danson started yellin’ at the deputies to get camp ready, “Lucky get those horses tied up secure, specially Sir Cross’. Don’t want that thorough bred getting lost. Mica break out the pots and see if Crank has somethin for the fire. Were havin’ chili tonight.”

Lucky came by and made sure each horse was secure. Although he fumbled a bit when it came to the women’s horses. He was more than shy as he fumbled to tie even a simple loop for Nita’s horse, “Sorry ma’m, Usually I am better at tying off than this. I mean I’ll get this tied off shortly.” He smiled sheepishly fumbling some more. Perhaps sticking his foot farther into his mouth he asked,” What tribe you with anyway? Cherokee... Navajo?”

Mica unloaded a few pots out of her Saddle bags as well as some timber. She set up a small circle of stones where she could start a fire and poured some water into a pot. She looked around warily as the wind rustled near. After half a heart beat she found Crankshaft and in a manner beseeched him for something to light a fire, ”Engineers usually got all sorts of gagets. Got something for a fire?” Her voice dropped and she pulled him close whispering husky like in his ear, ”When I was four years old, I watched my mother kill a spider... with a tea cozy. Years later, I realized it was not a spider - it was my Uncle Harold. ”
Treasurey agent
Crashaft was is the appropriate counter sign to the code phrase she just said?
Danson watched Mica chat with crank with a careful eye. He strode over to Grandpa and put out a hand, “Gramps, never got to thank you that for pulling me out of the Gilded Rose, I would not want to miss out on this ride for anything. When Telsa grams its all hands on deck for me. I ain’t like Lucky or Mica. Wide eyed and starry.” He pulls back his vest and Grandpa can see a shiny badge, a Tesla Ranger badge. “Gus gave it to me, when he gave me all of yours…. I got to say going after Bot Masterson must be something special for yer. Glad to be able to make the ride myself. Put er there…”

As the evening dawdled on, the chili was hot and wind not so bad protected by the pines as you were, Danson handed each of you a badge made from robot parts. When you first joined the Tesla Rangers ya’ll handed Gus parts from your first bot killed. Danson was just handing them back reforged and symbolizing the conviction that each ranger bares. He didn’t smile, but his eyes twinkled with just enough mirth that made it seem he was proud to be riding with real Tesla Rangers. “Now…. You don’t got to share or tell a tale if you don’t want to.” He looked at the fire, and pulled his hat low against the slight breeze, “But I reckon we don’t got much to do before darkness draws too deep. But maybe a story or six about how you came to be a ranger and killed your first bot would do to help pass the time.”

Player directions: roll a d4 and consult the interlude table to help guide you on what kind of theme your story of your first bot kill takes. Gain a conviction and a benny!
  • 1) Spades: Backstory: A great victory or personal triumph.
  • 2) Hearts: Backstory: A tale of the hero's greatest love— lost, found, present, or waiting on her back home.
  • 3 Diamonds: Backstory: Something your hero wants or already has. It might be a material possession, recognition, a political goal, or even a trip he wishes to take to some amazing destination.
  • 4) Clubs: Backstory: A tale of misfortune from your hero's past, perhaps revealing something of his Hindrances or a dark secret.
Conviction can be spent to add a d6 to a final Trait or damage total. This die can Ace, and its result is added to the final total. Conviction tokens aren't Bennies and can't be used as such. They are kept between sessions, but a player can never have more than one at a time.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Crankshaft

Re: Part 2: Ride Out! Yeaahaw!

Post by Crankshaft »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:25 am Mica unloaded a few pots out of her Saddle bags as well as some timber. She set up a small circle of stones where she could start a fire and poured some water into a pot. She looked around warily as the wind rustled near. After half a heart beat she found Crankshaft and in a manner beseeched him for something to light a fire, ”Engineers usually got all sorts of gagets. Got something for a fire?” Her voice dropped and she pulled him close whispering husky like in his ear, ”When I was four years old, I watched my mother kill a spider... with a tea cozy. Years later, I realized it was not a spider - it was my Uncle Harold.
Treasurey agent
Crashaft was is the appropriate counter sign to the code phrase she just said?
"Really, you were four? Time has flown for you then?"

"Did your mother also not like your father openly drinking in public or in your home? If I knew your father, he was always inclined to have a few ... hot toddies,"

"Your Uncle Harold and your father must have shared alot in common. Harold must not have learned your father's secrets."

Backstory (1d4) [dice:2x4eohse]55468:0[/dice:2x4eohse] [2]

"Love is a dangerous thing and honestly more trouble than bots, in my professional opinion."

"Cogs and Bots are programmed and engineered. Even the Bots are more predictable than love."

Crank pauses for a few minutes. Drinks some water. Then looks to the badge in his hand.

"Turns out the last flame that lit my lantern was a Ranger, though the urban version. Her name was Ruth and she had a thing for fashion and high society. Two things I could not afford."

"One day, I joined Ruth at a Clothier, R. Ford, Hayes, & Company. She went in to get fitted for a new dress."

"Beautiful brocaded silk gown in a deep teal color. At least that was what it would have been had the dressmaker cog not suddenly turned on poor Ruth."

"One moment Ruth was was being draped with fine colored fabric to be measured and pinned, the next she was a larger version of the pin cushion on the dressmaker cog's wrist. With so many pin pricks and so fast, the fabric had turned black from all the blood Ruth lost."

"The Cog did not seem to connect me with Ruth and I was afforded the time to but down the disfunctional cog and ease Ruth into her next adventure, death."

As he finishes his tale, the firelight gleams on his badge, which has a Cog Wheel, some dark colored fabric, a Magnetic centerpiece and a series of straight pins, fitted and welded into place.

"Even when dismantling the Cog, it did not feel like it's debt had been paid."
Checkers

Post by Checkers »

1: A Great Victory or Personal Triumph
[dice:1aesxaef]55635:0[/dice:1aesxaef]
Her first bot? What had it been, a year ago, give or take a couple of months? Something like that, Charlotte thought.

By then, she’d already taken up @Grandpa’s crusade as her own, only she figured out that she was better at exploding problems than she was at shooting them. Her first bot bore that out.

She was supposed to have been watching for trouble while Grandpa went and rustled up some of his own, but that could get boring right quick, and Charlotte didn’t do so well with idle hands. Instead, she decided to find something productive with which to occupy herself, and by “productive,” she meant “explosive.” They might need a getaway, after all, and dynamite was nothing if not distracting.

So, she rigged up a wagon to blow, twisting up a complicated series of fuses and charges, figuring it was good practice, if nothing else. Of course, she didn’t rig their wagon to blow; that would be dumb. Instead, she rigged up a rickety-looking empty wagon out behind the general store, tucked in between a couple of nicer ones with plenty of boxes and barrels of provisions packed up. Must’ve been a rancher or two loading up for the month, maybe? At least, that’s what she had thought at the time.

After an hour, or maybe two, she got bored. Again. What is takin’ him so long? Hope he ain’t drunk again, and, with the type of exaggerated sigh that only a teenager can make while keeping a straight face, she hopped down and headed back to her wagon. Maybe I’ll take it apart and go rig somethin’ else.

As she approached it, though, she noticed that one of them full wagons was looking a lot less full... and there was something oddly shaped standing next to it. Like a big, spinning top, but with horns and arms and... a bot!

The robotic critter, a rust devil, Charlotte reminded herself, noticed her about the same time she noticed it, and the thing didn't hesitate. It just started right for her, spinning like a little tornado, and she cried out in spite of herself.

She barely avoided tripping over her own feet as she raced away from the thing. It kicked up a storm of dust and debris as it came after her, disintegrating the not-quite-full-anymore wagon it had (now obviously) been hiding in, and Charlotte did the only logical thing she could think of.

She lit a stick of dynamite and threw it.

The stick didn’t come close to hitting the bot; it flew right past it... and landed in the back of Charlotte’s test wagon.

She plugged her ears and dove for cover, while everything blew up to high heaven around her. The wagons all went in a series of cascading explosions, as did part of the rear of the store, the ground itself, and (most importantly), the bot. Pieces of it went flying everywhere, and Charlotte did her best to keep feom being impaled by any of the shrapnel.

Okay... that was too much dynamite, she concluded, picking a few scraps off the ground and pocketing them. Spare parts could always come in handy, after all.

Her ears ringing, her dress ruined and her nose bloody (when had that happened?), she staggered around the front of the store where a crowd was already beginning to gather.

”Hey, y’all,” she began, ”anyone seen my Grandpa?” And then darkness swam in her vision and she fell, her body deciding it was time for a quick nap until Grandpa got there to pick her up.

Pace: 8, Running die d8; Parry: 7 (or 8 w/Catnip or L-20 equipped); Toughness: 21(5); Size: Normal (2); Initiative Edges: Quick
Character Sheet
Status Tracker
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

OOC Comments
[dice:24rfwczo]55664:0[/dice:24rfwczo]
Danson wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:25 am Danson watched Mica chat with crank with a careful eye. He strode over to Grandpa and put out a hand, “Gramps, never got to thank you that for pulling me out of the Gilded Rose, I would not want to miss out on this ride for anything. When Telsa grams its all hands on deck for me. I ain’t like Lucky or Mica. Wide eyed and starry.” He pulls back his vest and Grandpa can see a shiny badge, a Tesla Ranger badge. “Gus gave it to me, when he gave me all of yours…. I got to say going after Bot Masterson must be something special for yer. Glad to be able to make the ride myself. Put er there…”
Grandpa listened to Danson. "Glad to know ain't all green on this trip. Recon a few of us aught have some life 'fore getting killed on in the valley." Shaking the rangers hand Grandpa always enjoyed meeting someone who was willing to get hands dirty.

When the badge is handed to him Grandpa looks at it, the memories threatening to make his eyes leak...

"I'm coming hun don't piss yourself over it." That ornery old woman was the best thing in Grandpa's life, but oh boy could she shout sometimes. Here he was resting and minding his own business enjoying some buttered rum when she starts yelling his name like that.

"Helllppp Granpa!"

Suddenly Grandpa was alert and moving fast. Grandma was not the kind to go screaming help for no reason. Grandpa took off running as fast as his old legs could go. "I'm coming, I'm coming" He shouted doing his best to get there.

As Grandpa turned into the floor of the laboratory he saw the small hound jumping and trying to get on the table, Grandma's leg was bleeding where something had torn it. He did not understand what was going on. "What in tarnation is this about?" He asked trying to assess the room.

Suddenly the tiny little sweeper bot turned to face Grandpa and in a flash it was charging him. But alas Grandpa had never seen one of Grandma's creations go bad, so he ignored the thing as he moved in looking for who to shoot. "Look out! That robot, is trying ot kill us."

But her warning was too late as the creature rammed into Grandpa as hard as it could, its little arms tearing at his leg. Grandpa did not know what to do, so he responded the way he had solved every problem he stumbled across for the last 70 years. Pulling his pistol he unloaded into the thing.

Laying there it was some time before Grandpa woke up, having almost bled out from the experience. When he was told the whole story by Grandma about how the little thing went insane and just started attacking he was surprised. "But that ain't right. Them bots consider you like their mamma." But it was true, the little creature had gone crazy. Seemed that during the week he had slept whole war broke out and nearly half of all Grandma children went insane and started killing.

The people of town took real harshly to that. Treating Grandma and Grandpa like outsiders and forcing them and the cogs that stayed with them to move. After than Grandpa spent a lot of time hunting down bots, but he never forgot that first bot...

Grandpa's badge is brass and copper, all cut from a single large piece, the gear obviously designed for a cheap labor cog (well, I guess now a bot), not one of the fancy new models.
"All a man really needs in life is guns and bullets. The rest is usually free."

Bennies: 6, Conviction 1
3 Start of Q
+1 Interlude
+1 including -2 shooting so i don't hit Bull
+1 Mini story about last time I was in the canyon

Conviction = 1
Grandpa Masterson (Rob T)

Gender: at my age, that stuff just don't matter any more Human

Description: Weathered old man, lathered skin and ready to drop dead any minute.

Attributes: Agility d8-1, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4-1, Vigor d6-1
Skills: Athletics: d6, Common Knowledge: d6, Fighting: d4, Intimidation: d8, Notice: d6, Persuasion: d4, Repair: d6, Riding: d8, Shooting: d10, Stealth: d4, Survival: d4
Pace: 5, Parry: 4, Toughness: 5
Hindrances: Elderly, Hard of Hearing (minor), Mean
Edges: Ambidextrous, Marksman, Quick, Rapid Fire, Steady Hands, Two-Gun Kid
Weapons: Colt Peacemaker (.45) (2d6+1, 12/24/48, ROF 1), Colt Peacemaker (.45) (2d6+1, 12/24/48, ROF 1), Unarmed (Natural Attack, Str-1)
Gear: Backpack (Contains: Blanket, Whetstone, Trail Rations), Boots, Hiking, Bullets, Medium (50), Horse (Contains: Bedroll (sleeping bag; winterized), Saddle, Blanket, Clothing, Casual, Rope, hemp (10”/20 yards), Knife/Dagger)
Language: Native Language (Native)
Advancements:
  1. Edge: Marksman
  2. Edge: Two-Gun Kid
  3. Edge: Steady Hands
  4. Edge: Rapid Fire
Books In Use: Savage Worlds: Adventure Edition
Validity: Character appears valid and optimal

Created with Savaged.us

Character here: https://savaged.us/s/e8m5lc
Vargan Orok

Post by Vargan Orok »

"My horse is not for gambling. Unless it is in a race," Sir Andrew replies to Lucky while they traverse the trails. "As for your half sister. If she has been to England then we may share a memory or two. Nothing more." The idea of keeping company with a lady sets Alex into a sullen mood as he considers home, love, and loss.

Backstory: [dice:2r6rbn8f]55708:0[/dice:2r6rbn8f] (Greatest Love)

Around the fire Sir Cross is less chipper than usual. As talk turns to love the young gentleman is moved by Grandpa's story and the look into the old man's motivations.

"To Ruth," he says silently raising whatever flask is being passed around. "While I have nothing so tragic I must agree on love's unpredictability. I am the youngest son in our family and thus, do not inherit the family's estates. This honour passes to my elder brother, Winston. He can keep the fields and houses. It is his betrothal that forced me to leave my home behind. If I had stayed I surely would have died of a broken heart."

Staring into the fire for a moment Sir Andrew finally looks up, "Her name is Chastity. And truly she is a virtue. A glimpse into the beatific vision. The Beatrice to my Dante. As children we played as our parents were on friendly terms. As we grew up something more grew up between us. I intended to court her. Yet, it was not to be. She was betrothed to my brother to strengthen the ties between our families and to bring two great estates together. It was the proper thing for the family but the wrong thing for my heart," the Englishman lets out a heavy sigh. "With a hole in my heart that could only be quenched by an unavailable love I sought out adventure - and as much distance as possible. First I made pilgrimage to the Holy Lands, then served in Her Majesty's Cavalry in South Africa, and now here trying to save the world from monstrous robots. Yet as much as I have seen, more than a lifetime for some men, I have only learned one lesson. Absence does indeed make the heart grow fonder. Now, I don't dare return home because I fear my memory of her far exceeds reality."
Vargan Orok (Ranger)
Bennies 3/3, Conviction 2/2
Bull

Post by Bull »

OOC Comments
Die Roll:
  • Backstory: A tale of misfortune from your hero's past, perhaps revealing something of his Hindrances or a dark secret.
    Ignore - Duplicate
    [dice:pezxofdw]55912:0[/dice:pezxofdw]
"Get your face out of here. You are scaring the women and children!"

This was the third inn that Bull had tried... the last one in the town of Springfield. They wouldn't even let him sleep in the stables... his face would drive the horses to colic, they said. They wouldn't even take his money. This meant another night sleeping in the rough in a ditch outside of town.

Trying to get himself as comfortable as possible in the shallow ditch he had chosen, Bull tried to get what sleep he could.

In the middle of the night, the clanging of a Bot. Thanking providence for the clear sky to make the most of what little light the sliver of the moon gave him, Bull crawled towards the sound of the Bot. He couldn't let it get into town where it would slaughter a good part of the population before they were finally able to put together enough resistance to drive it off or incapacitate it. This Bot was the biggest ones he had ever seen, but it was also slower than him.

Slowly making his way up to it, Bull grabs onto the Bot and starts punching it. Bull lands Punch after punch lands on the Bot, but he is barely able to dent its metal carapace. The Bot slams its fists into Bull with sledge-like blows, but he is able to tough his way through blows that would level most men.

After one such blow hits Bull upside the head, he comes up with an idea. Grabbing onto its carapace, Bull uses his larger mass to start swinging the Bot around and around and around. Weathering its many blows, Bull gradually picks up speed spins the Bot faster and faster. Once he gets enough speed, the Bot's feet start to lift off the ground as Bull spins faster and faster. Spying a boulder a few yards away, Bull directs their spinning closer and closer to the boulder until he gets closer. Once he gets close enough, Bull smashes the Bot into the unyielding boulder. While it does not immediately cease functioning, it takes enough damage that Bull is once again able to pick it up again and start it swinging again. After a few cycles of spinning and smashing the Bot into the boulder, it stops moving and is more a collection of broken parts than anything.

Taking the dented head piece to make sure another Bot cannot try to fix it, Bull makes his way to the next town. There is no way he can sleep properly here after such an interruption.
Awinita Anikawi

Post by Awinita Anikawi »

OOC Comments
[dice:30lsk0h6]55916:0[/dice:30lsk0h6]
Wilderness
Night
Round 0

Awinita gathered her gear from her horse as they stopped to make camp. The deputy named Lucky came over to tie off her horse, and she frowned as she watched him fumble around.

“Sorry ma’m, Usually I am better at tying off than this. I mean I’ll get this tied off shortly,” he said.

“I can,” Nita said, taking the rope harness and securing it to the pine.

”What tribe you with anyway? Cherokee... Navajo?” Lucky asked as she put out feed and water for her horse.

“You call us Cherokee,” Nita said in her broken English. “Reservation that way,” she indicated.

Around the fire, everyone started telling stories of their first bot kill. She stared into the fire, only half listening, hoping they would forget about her, as the white man often did. But she looked up to find them all looking at her expectantly. Awinita sighed.

“It was night of my wedding,” she said. “Lots of white man’s fire water in village. Everyone drunk. I wait in new husband’s tent under furs, nervous. Then screaming start. I hear strange sounds. I pull on clothes fast and go out. White man’s bots killing my people. They try fight, but not hurt. People flee village. I see husband head rip off. I run. Bot chase me. I run for river. Fight smart. This my land. Bot not know it. Bot leap for me. I run to side so it miss and go over cliff. Smash on rocks in river.”

She pulled her blanket up over her shoulders as she ended her tale and stared into the fire again.

Awinita Character Sheet
Conviction: YES
Bennies 4/3
Dragoon Ammo 5/5 (Mundane)
  • Mundane: 45
  • Cast Iron: 1
  • Magnetic: 1
  • Teslic: 1
Thunderbolt Rifle 5/5
  • 15 Teslic cartridges
Magnetic Harpoon
Winchester Ammo 15/15
  • Spare: 35
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Charlotte wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:41 pm Her ears ringing, her dress ruined and her nose bloody (when had that happened?), she staggered around the front of the store where a crowd was already beginning to gather.

”Hey, y’all,” she began, ”anyone seen my Grandpa?” And then darkness swam in her vision and she fell, her body deciding it was time for a quick nap until Grandpa got there to pick her up.
Grandpa listens and smiles. That was a sweet story, he always enjoyed when kids learned things and here Charlotte learned not to use to much. Well to be honest it was the fifth or sixth time she learned not to use too much. But she was his favorite and ain't no point being particular. "Them fellers in town was ready ta hang ya. Til they saw ya killed er bot." Spitting on the ground next to the fire he finishes. "I's bout ready to shoot a few oer them fore they came ta reasoning wit out my help."

3 Start of Q
+1 Interlude

Conviction = 1

Description: Weathered old man, lathered skin and ready to drop dead any minute.

Skills: Athletics: d6, Common Knowledge: d6, Fighting: d4, Intimidation: d8, Notice: d6, Persuasion: d4, Repair: d6, Riding: d8, Shooting: d10, Stealth: d4, Survival: d4
Weapons: Colt Peacemaker (.45) (2d6+1, 12/24/48, ROF 1), Colt Peacemaker (.45) (2d6+1, 12/24/48, ROF 1), Unarmed (Natural Attack, Str-1)
Gear: Backpack (Contains: Blanket, Whetstone, Trail Rations), Boots, Hiking, Bullets, Medium (50), Horse (Contains: Bedroll (sleeping bag; winterized), Saddle, Blanket, Clothing, Casual, Rope, hemp (10”/20 yards), Knife/Dagger)
Advancements:

Created with Savaged.us

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

During the night at the camp fire.

Danson raised his flask to his lips. The seasoned deputy had known love a time or two. He muttered, ” To Ruth, and Grandma... I guess Chasity too after a way. Say Andrew have you ever killed a bot or is that tin just for show?” Danson’s steel eye twinkled with mirth as he indicated at the badge he had given to @Sir Andrew Cross. After a long swig he looked down at Bull’s hands appreciating such meat cleavers. He stoked the fire some with a long stick trying to understand them.

Lucky was less than smooth and fell off his neat perch on a rock. ” Wedda—“ The deputy listened to the rest of the story in general horror with his mouth agape. Mica put the bottom of her pistol under his jaw and closed it for him.

Later than evening Lucky sat as close to Nita as he dared. He briefly stumbled over the right words, and finally spat out, ” Uyo ayelodi.“ Clearly as bad as Nita spoke English, but the heartfelt intention was evident. Feelin like a darn fool he scampered back to his horse and tent.

Day Two

After breaking camp the posse set to getting out early. Mica found another moment in-between washing the pots at a nearby stream to talk confidently to crankshaft. She slid up next to him out of nowhere and drew him close as if kissing him on the ear. She passed on the secret message presumably from Crankshaft’s true masters, “If all the animals along the equator were capable of flattery then thanksgiving and Halloween would fall on the same day." 

Danson was smoking as he watched Lucky pack his tent. For about the fourth time he told Lucky, “Wrong way son. Git to packin it lengthwise, and put the stakes and canvas in tight.” He drew a long bite on his cigar watching it billow out in the morning light. He stopped @Charlotte by name when most men would go with little lady. “Charlotte, a moment.” He pointed to Crankshaft and Mica at the horses having a perfectly normal if intimate conversation just out of ear shot, “What did you think of Mica’s chili? Ahh no matter.”

It was clear Danson had some pretense to speak with the kid. He rounded on her looking her in the eye. He was a good foot taller than Charlotte, big broad shoulders. His face had a scowl that hid his rugged good looks. He wagged the cigar he was chomping on, “I got to say I was impressed you dusted a bot. No doubt you earned your place… But, I’ll be damned if we get to a tight spot an have a youngun die on me. If I tell you to run…. You best run or ride back to Fort Ohm.”.

After he said his piece he would have stayed to hear a no doubt well crafted retort but the brown horse pullin the armored wagon caught sight of Bull and spooked real hard. Danson swore, “Shit, fuckers just too ugly.” All to quick Charlotte was left to her own recognizance while nearby Lucky concentrated awfully hard on repacking the tent for the nth time.
Sir Andrew Cross
In the morning you found an odd letter... One from your father, by all accounts in his hand. Son,

You are in grave danger. I know we have not been on easy terms but you are my son. I and Nicola Tesla have uncovered something wrong with the Tesla Rangers. There is an insidious plot to destroy them from within. I may not have love for the Americas but it is clear the Tesla Rangers are a last line of defense against the bots. Please report any irregularities to Uncanny Valley, Box 11. My boy never forget our family motto...

The how and why the letter found your chest as you slept is unknown. +1 benny for a cool family motto.

The ride during day two.

On day two the trail—such as it was—began to wind between steepening hills. Mica had a bit of an issue getting the armored wagon round some of the tighter turns. She called out to Bull, “Bull, if it ain’t too much trouble on yer face could you hook up your big bronco to help steady the armored wagon?”

Lucky chuckled riding near Nita, “Poor boy looks like a leather strap. I heard Danson say he knew a doc who could fix it, but it looks pretty permanent to me…” His horse took a bit of a stumble as he made the wise crack. He fell off on to the ground rolling towards the edge of the steep gorge the trail followed! Last minute he managed to grab a handful of grass as he nearly went over. A 30 foot drop was below, maybe not enough to kill him but more than enough to break a man’s legs.

Danson hopped down near Lucky and reached out a gloved hand. “Damit Lucky! Don’t go rollin down into that canyon. Fool you know the stories!” After he pulled him up, he shook out his legs and pointed up the trail, “We got a few more hours of travel, probably around mid day we’ll hit the old rail line that goes deeper into the canyon. Then if it is good with y'all we can head north around the top of the canyon and come down the backside.”

Lucky looked down at his leg, it was twisted a bit the wrong way. He winced and tried to climbed back on his pinto. But even that was a bit too much for him and he fell into the dirt. He scratched his head beneath his hat resting on the ground, “Danson, ughhh... That sounds like the long way. I heard argghhh... rumors the old rail line goes west into the canyon. We could go right through and shave a whole day to Uncanny Valley.” It was a struggle but he said his piece. His latest tumble had left the awkward youth right next to @Grandpa leaning heavily on a large rock. The youth looked at the old timer wincing, his leg was bleddin’ a bit. He took hold of the small boulder close at hand and braced himself against it to regain his footing. Contrary to his namesake he did not see it slightly move as he touched it.

Danson mounted his horse and grunted, “Lucky, you’re as stupid as Cross is British. Or maybe just too young to know any better.” He spurned his horse on yellin’, “Rangers, lets get the draft horse hooked up. Anyone good with stichin’ can’t have Lucky’s leg going black on us so tend to it. I reckon ya’ll could educate the boy on the horrors that await in El Diablo Canyon and stretch yer legs a bit. I'll check the perimeter. Yeehaw!”

Leaving the Tesla Rangers to do their work Danson road ahead just a bit. Mica got off the armored wagon and looked at Bull. Lucky winced clutching his leg and wiping his brow as he leaned up against a nigglin Boulder. Suddenly a whole mess of rattle snakes snuck out from their home in a dark crevice underneath the boulder and reared to bite Lucky. Maybe Lucky was frozen in fear or deaf like Bull was ugly. He did not even see or hear them as was grinning all goofy like at Nita trying to be brave.

Instructions
A few things to do on day two:
- Something needs to be done to steady the armored wagon as it has trouble going through tight turns. Hitching Bull’s draft horse was a thought.
- Healing Lucky’s leg, Yikes infection is real folks.
- Shoot some snakes!
+1 Benny if you do any of those things and take a -2 due to a Hindrance.
+1 Benny if you got it in you... Tell a tale of Diablo Canyon, alternately rp off someone else's story and get to know your posse-mates.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Awinita Anikawi

Healing 7
+1 First Aid kit
Healing [dice:1ligg7sq]55982:0[/dice:1ligg7sq]
Ace [dice:1ligg7sq]55982:3[/dice:1ligg7sq]
Ace [dice:1ligg7sq]55982:2[/dice:1ligg7sq] - disregard
Wild [dice:1ligg7sq]55982:1[/dice:1ligg7sq]
Wilderness
Afternoon
Round 0

Awinita glanced at Lucky as they rode, uncertain why he was acting...odd. Well, he was a white man. They were always acting odd. “Be care--” She sighed as he fell off his horse and nearly into the canyon, managing to grab on at the last minute and get pulled up by Danson.

“I will see to leg,” the Cheyenne said, dismounting and securing her own Indian paint. She pulled the first aid kit out of her pack

“If you not careful, Diablo Canyon be bad,” warned Lucky as she pushed up the leg of his jeans. “Is very hot, like your white man hell. With sharp rocks and big lizards with teeth. Good meat,” she admitted. Her delicate fingers were light as they worked on his injury, cleaning it and stitching it.

Awinita Character Sheet
Bennies 5/3
Thunderbolt Rifle 5/5
  • 15 Teslic cartridges
Magnetic Harpoon
Winchester Ammo 15/15
First Aid Kit 2/3
Crankshaft

Post by Crankshaft »

Crank had been thinking during the past day, Four years on one assignment. Harold Oscarson must have been the beginning of the assignment. What was keeping Mica on the assignment for four years? @Pender Lumkiss

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:51 pm After breaking camp the posse set to getting out early. Mica found another moment in-between washing the pots at a nearby stream to talk confidently to crankshaft. She slid up next to him out of nowhere and drew him close as if kissing him on the ear. She passed on the secret message presumably from Crankshaft’s true masters, “If all the animals along the equator were capable of flattery then thanksgiving and Halloween would fall on the same day."

The code was old but to be expected of someone who had been on the same assignment for four years.

"Well its a good thing we are not on the equator. The animals would spoil before we could have them for dinner, regardless of the Holiday."

Pulling out his pocket ledger, Crank flips to the front of the book. Pulling on a page tucked into the back of the front cover, written in neat hand writing is the phrase, "Peace of mind. Service completed. Final Ride. Departure Camden." Beneath it is the seal of the US Treasury embossed in gold leaf. When Crank sees the message is recieved, he carefully tucks the page back into the front leather binding with no one the wiser.

While they are still close, he whispers, "Ruth the District awaits your return."

Impulsively he kisses her cheek and walks over to see what the ruckus is with the wagon and apparently the Unlucky Lucky.

"That Mica she sure knows how to get a man all discombulated. Why, I bet she could charm the rattle off of ..."

That is when Crank sees the rattlers coming out.

Pulling out a Tesla Dynamo, he pulls from his waist belt an octogon with folded legs. Placing the dynamo ontop of the spider, he rubs the underbelly of th mechanical spider. When its eyes focus on him he turns the spider towrds the nest of snakes. The eyes blink in recognition and the legs extend and the spider scuttles down Crankshaft and across the ground.

Entangle 5 _
Power Name: Spider's Lair
Modifiers: Strong (+2); Hinder (+1)
Power Points: 2 + 2 + 1 = 5
[*] Tesla Science (1d8) [dice:3mib5y6b]56003:0[/dice:3mib5y6b]
[*] Wild (1d6) [dice:3mib5y6b]56003:2[/dice:3mib5y6b]
Crank's spiders-insects.jpg
Crank's spiders-insects.jpg (6.27 KiB) Viewed 18162 times
Checkers

Post by Checkers »

Grandpa wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:27 am
Grandpa listens and smiles. That was a sweet story, he always enjoyed when kids learned things and here Charlotte learned not to use to much. Well to be honest it was the fifth or sixth time she learned not to use too much. But she was his favorite and ain't no point being particular. "Them fellers in town was ready ta hang ya. Til they saw ya killed er bot." Spitting on the ground next to the fire he finishes. "I's bout ready to shoot a few oer them fore they came ta reasoning wit out my help."
Charlotte blushes just a little. The story was a little embarrassing, after all. But she’s always glad to have her @Grandpa there with her. He’s one of the only ones who has figured out how to remind her that she’s a kid without treating her like a kid.
Pender Lumkiss wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:51 pm
Day Two

He drew a long bite on his cigar watching it billow out in the morning light. He stopped @Charlotte by name when most men would go with little lady. “Charlotte, a moment.” He pointed to Crankshaft and Mica at the horses having a perfectly normal if intimate conversation just out of ear shot, “What did you think of Mica’s chili? Ahh no matter.”

It was clear Danson had some pretense to speak with the kid. He rounded on her looking her in the eye. He was a good foot taller than Charlotte, big broad shoulders. His face had a scowl that hid his rugged good looks. He wagged the cigar he was chomping on, “I got to say I was impressed you dusted a bot. No doubt you earned your place… But, I’ll be damned if we get to a tight spot an have a youngun die on me. If I tell you to run…. You best run or ride back to Fort Ohm.”.

After he said his piece he would have stayed to hear a no doubt well crafted retort but the brown horse pullin the armored wagon caught sight of Bull and spooked real hard. Danson swore, “Shit, fuckers just too ugly.” All to quick Charlotte was left to her own recognizance while nearby Lucky concentrated awfully hard on repacking the tent for the nth time.

Instructions
A few things to do on day two:
- Something needs to be done to steady the armored wagon as it has trouble going through tight turns. Hitching Bull’s draft horse was a thought.
- Healing Lucky’s leg, Yikes infection is real folks.
- Shoot some snakes!
+1 Benny if you do any of those things and take a -2 due to a Hindrance.
+1 Benny if you got it in you... Tell a tale of Diablo Canyon, alternately rp off someone else's story and get to know your posse-mates.
Charlotte doesn't get a chance to get a word in edgewise, so she just rolls her eyes as Danson wanders away. Typical. She's not surprised (this is how most men react to her presence, after all), but she still finds room in her heart to be annoyed.

Moving over to the wagon at the stop, Charlotte pushes her way to the front and takes a long look. "Lemme see what we're working with, here."

They think I need to run away? That I'm just a kid, do they? Pfft. I'll show 'em a damn Masterson is always useful!

She reaches for her tools, her mind set on making the wagon both sturdier and more nimble. Maybe a cut there, and a flexible hinge? Won't be pretty, but it could give maybe a couple extra inches of mobility around tight corners, almost like one of those kids snake toys. Solid wood and super sturdy, but still able to "slither" after a fashion. Yeah, she can do that.

Repair 5, After -2 for Hindrance, to Modify the Wagon
Repair [dice:3hmgs6cl]56311:0[/dice:3hmgs6cl] taking a -2 for her Driven (Major) Hindrance, which offsets her +2 from Ms. Fix-It.
Wild [dice:3hmgs6cl]56311:1[/dice:3hmgs6cl]

Here's that snake toy: https://www.amazon.com/One-Wooden-Wiggl ... 3452&psc=1

Pace: 8, Running die d8; Parry: 7 (or 8 w/Catnip or L-20 equipped); Toughness: 21(5); Size: Normal (2); Initiative Edges: Quick
Character Sheet
Status Tracker
Checkers

Post by Checkers »

Awinita Anikawi wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:30 am
“If you not careful, Diablo Canyon be bad,” warned Lucky as she pushed up the leg of his jeans. “Is very hot, like your white man hell. With sharp rocks and big lizards with teeth. Good meat,” she admitted. Her delicate fingers were light as they worked on his injury, cleaning it and stitching it.
Charlotte overhears @Awinita Anikawi while running back for more tools. "Wait, what kind of lizards? How big we talkin'? Like, bigger than a dog? Than a man? Than a horse?"

Character Sheet
Status Tracker
Bull

Post by Bull »

Bull puts his horse in the wagon's harness to help with the pulling. Seeing little Charlotte get ready to work on the wagon, he tries to help her however he thinks he can by lifting or propping up any heavy pieces that would give her problems.

She reminds me of my youngest sister... just more smarter and more ornery.

Rolls
I am not sure what rolls you would like for this.
Awinita Anikawi

Wilderness
Afternoon
Round 0

Awinita looked over at Charlotte. “Big like dog.” She held her hand up about three feet. “Long like man is tall.” She stretched her arms wide, about five feet. “Lots teeth.” She made a fierce face, showing her teeth and biting. “A white man once called them lous, but never knew why. He got eat.”

Awinita Character Sheet
Bennies 5/3
Thunderbolt Rifle 5/5
  • 15 Teslic cartridges
Magnetic Harpoon
Winchester Ammo 15/15
First Aid Kit 2/3
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

All this work getting done was needed, but holy hells theres a lot o' snakes in this valley. Wondering back in from a piss Grandpa watch's as the work gets done, when seeing a big ol snake den he starts to wonder, when was mating season fer them fellers. Bet twas right now wasn't it.

Pointing out the den in the distance and nodding to the others. He turns to @Charlotte to speak, the words meant for everyone. "Last time i wad here, them snakes killed four of the boys I come with. We but the bots only killed three of my boys, so ways i figure it, them snakes more dangerous than bots. Think maybe when we get closer you could do your special trick and make your grandpa even more proud than he already is?"

Suddenly as he is talking there is a loud ricochet of noise off the canyon walls a Grandpa somehow drew fires his shot and re-holstered before anyone could see his shaky old hands move. The still writhing snake on the ground explained the why of it. Missing its head which lay only inches from @Bull's foot the body did not know it was dead yet, the tail itself still trapped under his boot where Bull stepped on it. "Boots that tick, you where likely safe, but i like shooting them bastards on principle."

OOC Comments
Shooting d12-2 Scene cover from Bull, Marksman offset -2 = d12
Shooting [dice:32w3211h]56353:0[/dice:32w3211h]
Wild [dice:32w3211h]56353:1[/dice:32w3211h]
Handing the empty round to the weirdo Grampa says. "Ya recon you could reload that there lightning bullet fer me? You smart fellers know all that stuff an wit Grandma gone, I don't know how." Allowing @Crankshaft to charge the round again.
Awinita Anikawi wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:02 am Awinita looked over at Charlotte. “Big like dog.” She held her hand up about three feet. “Long like man is tall.” She stretched her arms wide, about five feet. “Lots teeth.” She made a fierce face, showing her teeth and biting. “A white man once called them lous, but never knew why. He got eat.”
Listening to the red talk, Grandpa had no clue what she was saying, but the lad seemed nice, and she had enough killer in her ta make her a good man to have on a trip. "You making that stuff up girl, or is it true?" He asked @Awinita Anikawi.

3 Start of Q
+1 Interlude

Conviction = 1

Advancements:

Created with Savaged.us

Crankshaft

Post by Crankshaft »

Grandpa wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:21 pm Handing the empty round to the weirdo Grampa says. "Ya recon you could reload that there lightning bullet fer me? You smart fellers know all that stuff an wit Grandma gone, I don't know how." Allowing @Crankshaft to charge the round again.
Crank excepted the round from Grandpa. "I will charge it later, Gramps, if that is okay?" He slips the empty casing into a slot on his leather vest.
Awinita Anikawi

Wilderness
Afternoon
Round 0

Awinita narrowed her eyes and Grandpa. “It true, White Man,” she said. “My father tell me.” The look she gave dared him to challenge the word and honor of her father and loose what little hair he had left -- along with the skin it was connected to. Of course, Cherokee didn’t take scalps, but white men didn’t know the difference.

Awinita Character Sheet
Bennies 5/3
Thunderbolt Rifle 5/5
  • 15 Teslic cartridges
Magnetic Harpoon
Winchester Ammo 15/15
First Aid Kit 2/3
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Grandpa notices the eyes narrowing when the girl responds. He was not sure if she was thinking real hard or somehow trying to intimidate him. But when she speak he gets it and chuckles a little. "Relax little Nita, I ain't said yer pa lied. I asked a ya a question. I heard lots o tales and sometimes need ta make sure things ar clear."

Grandpa cannot help it and leave well enough alone. "And if yer gonna try and scare someone, you have ta learn to control how much emotion ya show. Like this." He leans in, somehow looking to grow a couple inches and squints giving a look to chill blood, that briefly melts away into his normal ugly and heartless face. "If'n ya want, I can show ya. Won't take no time at all."

3 Start of Q
+1 Interlude

Conviction = 1

Advancements:

Created with Savaged.us

Checkers

Post by Checkers »

Grandpa wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:21 pm
Pointing out the den in the distance and nodding to the others. He turns to @Charlotte to speak, the words meant for everyone. "Last time i wad here, them snakes killed four of the boys I come with. We but the bots only killed three of my boys, so ways i figure it, them snakes more dangerous than bots. Think maybe when we get closer you could do your special trick and make your grandpa even more proud than he already is?"
Charlotte lights up. "Sure! You want me to blow up the snakes? Or something else?"

Character Sheet
Status Tracker
Awinita Anikawi

Wilderness
Afternoon
Round 0

“I no need lessons,” Awinita huffed. “You know when I try scare you.” She flicked her braids out of the way and turned back to treating Lucky’s leg.

Awinita Character Sheet
Bennies 5/3
Thunderbolt Rifle 5/5
  • 15 Teslic cartridges
Magnetic Harpoon
Winchester Ammo 15/15
First Aid Kit 2/3
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Charlotte wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:50 pm Charlotte lights up. "Sure! You want me to blow up the snakes? Or something else?"
Somehow the girl sometimes managed to ask the most obvious of questions. Why else would he point them out to her? But while Grandpa Masterson had little tolerance for anyone elses crap, he loved @Charlotte and would not berate her. "I think it is what you do best."

Awinita Anikawi wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:48 am “I no need lessons,” Awinita huffed. “You know when I try scare you.” She flicked her braids out of the way and turned back to treating Lucky’s leg.
Seeing the little girl flack her hair and depart in a huff brings a chuckle to Grandpa's head. She kind of reminds him of Grandma when he was 70 years younger. Fill of piss and vinegar that one. Wanting to be tough, but not knowing who to be tough with. Her loss he sposes, not like he offers ta teach his special skills to many. But is, what it is.

3 Start of Q
+1 Interlude

Conviction = 1

Advancements:

Created with Savaged.us

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Snakes were killed and spidered, Lucky saved, and the wagon got right as rain. The Posse continued their journey for several more hours until the midday sun beat mercilessly down upon them.
Rail road
Rail road
CD9BD507-3E42-4928-87FC-7E3AC85F6DDE.jpeg (30.62 KiB) Viewed 17967 times
Around midday during the second day the rangers crossed an overgrown rail line pointing due west. It was rusted and forgotten. A Common Knowledge roll allowed the rangers to recall that it led to El Diablo Canyon, a place the rangers were under explicit orders to avoid if at all possible. Each and every ranger had heard Gus’ spiel about not going in, and more to the point most folk knew of some poor soul who went in and never came out. Looking down the rail line gave one the heeubeejibies! To make matters worse the horses got a touch antsy as the wind picked up dusting over the rail line.

Lucky’s horse faired the worse out of the deputies. One look at the railroad and it died on the spot. Lucky, had been looking a bit at Nita whom he plum forgot to thank for treating his leg, came tumbling down near Sir Cross. The young deputy’s eyes were shaking back and forth looking for death to drop the next shoe. Lucky stammered, “ S…. S…. Sir Andre..w…. Cr.. Cross… I…. I…. Could…. I… r-r- ride wwwith…. W…ith you?” The deputy’s new speech impediment aside it was clear he would be needing a ride.

Mica nearly lost the reins on the horse pulling the armored wagon. But she snagged it with her boot. Her eyes darted around nervously, but she seemed to calm down when she caught sight of Charlotte. A soft demur smile crept across Mic’s face as her eyes locked with Charlotte’s. ” I can do this!” Sometimes courage was found in all sorts of people.

Danson kept control of his rearing wild horse with nothing more than a nasty scowl. Despite the stories that Woody used to tell at the Rusty Sunset, and those even told by the rangers his grip on the reins was resolute. He started to back up away from the rail line toward the trail that went up and around. He haller’d at the Tesla Rangers, “Ya’ll know the stories, hell you scared Lucky with them. Going in to El Diablo is a straight trip to the grave, I say lets head North and around. It’s your call tho, but if we loose our horses to fright it will be a long walk back to fort Ohm.” His eyes glance at Lucky’s dead steed worried for his own.

Instructions
You got plenty of food, and water to last another week stored in the wagon (trip is max half that). Might be time to keep to the planned route that takes ya’ll north around the top of the canyon, and then back to the south once they reach the far side. Doesn’t avoiding El Diablo Canyon sound nice?
- Everyone needs to make a Fear check
- Everyone needs to make a ride check

GM note: player agency and all means you got a choice where you could
1) Go North and around the canyon which lets the story continue.
2) Go in to the El Diablo Canyon at this point leads to death.
  • Extra Carrot: going North and around ( not into the canyon) will open up the adventure deck.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Grandpa looked at the old tracks and remembered the talk of avoiding the canyon at all costs. Leaning to spit from his horse he says. "Ain't no point in wasting time remembering yer bed time stories. Let' get around like we've been told. I have a bot to kill and i ain't gonna miss it by getting bit by a snake or tossed frem a horse."

Calming the horse was second nature to Grandpa, he had been riding since before most of these kids's parents were born. When the horse started to skitter a bit he just let it feel his confidence and took firm hold. Looking around to see if anyone else was going to need help as well. He started to move assuming the others would do likewise and head around.

OOC Comments
Spirit [dice:272j1k2a]56554:0[/dice:272j1k2a] Ace [dice:272j1k2a]56554:2[/dice:272j1k2a]
Wild [dice:272j1k2a]56554:1[/dice:272j1k2a]

Riding [dice:272j1k2a]56554:3[/dice:272j1k2a] Ace [dice:272j1k2a]56554:5[/dice:272j1k2a]
Wild [dice:272j1k2a]56554:4[/dice:272j1k2a]

3 Start of Q
+1 Interlude

Conviction = 1

Advancements:

Created with Savaged.us

Awinita Anikawi

Riding 13
Riding [dice:2lvfnm2l]56565:0[/dice:2lvfnm2l]
Wild [dice:2lvfnm2l]56565:1[/dice:2lvfnm2l]
Conviction [dice:2lvfnm2l]56565:4[/dice:2lvfnm2l]
Ace [dice:2lvfnm2l]56565:5[/dice:2lvfnm2l]
Fear 5
Spirit [dice:2lvfnm2l]56565:2[/dice:2lvfnm2l]
Wild [dice:2lvfnm2l]56565:3[/dice:2lvfnm2l]
Wilderness/Overgrown railroad
Afternoon
Round 0

Awinita felt the frisson of fear in the air as she studied the track for the iron horses that led to El Diablo Canyon. Her paint rolled its eyes and danced, but the Cherokee young woman tugged its reins and brought it firmly back under control.

Lucky wasn’t so...lucky. His horse actually fell dead. He didn’t seem hurt, at least. Her first aid kit wouldn’t last long if he kept that up. Securing her horse, she climbed down to reclaim the tack and saddle from Lucky’s horse and toss it into the wagon.

“Coyotes eat tonight,” she said, remounting. “We go north,” she said simply, remembering the explicit instructions they had been given, and her father’s stories.

Awinita Character Sheet
Conviction: NO
Bennies 5/3
Thunderbolt Rifle 5/5
  • 15 Teslic cartridges
Magnetic Harpoon
Winchester Ammo 15/15
First Aid Kit 2/3
Bull

Post by Bull »

Fear 6
Spirit: [dice:2dboypzg]56616:0[/dice:2dboypzg]
Wild: [dice:2dboypzg]56616:1[/dice:2dboypzg]
Result: 6 - Success
Riding 10
Riding: [dice:2dboypzg]56616:2[/dice:2dboypzg]
  • Ace: [dice:2dboypzg]56616:4[/dice:2dboypzg]
Wild: [dice:2dboypzg]56616:3[/dice:2dboypzg]
Result: 10 - Success with Raise.
WIP
Crankshaft

Post by Crankshaft »

Crankshaft has moments when all reason seem to leave him.

Spirit (Fear) 4 _
[*] Spirit (1d6) [dice:9tchpevp]56685:0[/dice:9tchpevp]
[*] Wild (1d6) [dice:9tchpevp]56685:1[/dice:9tchpevp]
Riding 11 _
[*] Riding (1d6) [dice:9tchpevp]56685:2[/dice:9tchpevp]
[*] Aced! Riding (1d6+6) [dice:9tchpevp]56685:4[/dice:9tchpevp]
[*] Wild (1d6) [dice:9tchpevp]56685:3[/dice:9tchpevp]
Looking down those tracks into El Diablo Canyon, as far as his eyes could see, Crank decided that the ghost stories were not something to be trifled with. As he hunched over in his saddle a bit to look after his horse, his ledger book poked him in the ribs as a subtle reminder that his mission was not solving ghost stories.

Crank and his horse seemed to see eye to eye and neither had any interest in tangling with the mess that lay at the end of the tracks. It even seemed that Crank and horse might be able to quiet or still another unsettled horse, with how calm both of them are.
Checkers

Post by Checkers »

Spirit 5
Spirit [dice:29fw3lht]56934:0[/dice:29fw3lht]
Wild [dice:29fw3lht]56934:1[/dice:29fw3lht]
Riding 4
Riding [dice:29fw3lht]56934:2[/dice:29fw3lht]
Wild [dice:29fw3lht]56934:3[/dice:29fw3lht]
Does Charlotte remember the stories? Of course she does. She especially remembers that the dealer's story centered around how it had been a mistake to bring a kid along into somewhere dangerous, and that a kid had no place being there.

Well, like hell. She got control of her horse easily enough, just like @Grandpa had taught her, and she wasn't afraid of no railroad tracks, and certainly not of some ghost story.

"Go round? That's crazy! Why not just go right on through? We'd save tons of time, wouldn't we? I mean, come on. Lucky hasn't exactly had a good run of things lately, and his horse up and dying is weird, to be sure, but hasn't got anything to do with this canyon. It's just dirt, rocks and tracks."
She'll go along with the group, but she's got Hindrances first
She's thin-skinned, so she took that comment about bringing a kid along personally. And she's driven to clear the family name; bravely riding through a legendarily scary patch of ground to go and get the bot that ruined the family name seems in keeping. That said, she'll ultimately go along with whatever the group decides.

Character Sheet
Status Tracker
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

"@Charlotte sweaty, half the people here's ready ta piss themselves. We follow what were paid for. Killing Bots is more important than saving a day."

3 Start of Q
+1 Interlude

Conviction = 1

Advancements:

Created with Savaged.us

Checkers

Post by Checkers »

Charlotte "harumphs" in the way that all teenagers instinctively know how to do, and says, "Fine. But let's all be clear that the Mastersons weren't afraid of an old railroad track through some dumb hole in the rock."

Character Sheet
Status Tracker

Return to “Adventures in the Wired West”