SavageRifts.com Presents - Ask Me Anything with Sean Owen Roberson

OOC commentary and whatever else you want to chime in with.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Hail Savages,

Great news for our fans here on savagerifts.com - Sean Owen Roberson, Line Editor and author for Pinnacle Entertainment Group's Savage Rifts product line will join us for a live ask me anything session on Wednesday July 24, 2019 at 9:30 PM EST.

Many of have backed the "American Armageddon" Kickstarter and are impatiently awaiting our three new books (and four existing books completed updated to Savage Worlds Adventure Edition). In the meantime we've been pouring over the playtest version of the Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide and have lots of lively discussions on our hangout. Well now the time is to take our questions to the source!

Can't wait until Wednesday to ask your question? No problem. Post you question here and I will make sure it gets asked.

To keep things simple we'll take questions during the live stream from the YouTube Live Chat available on the event page!

I can't wait to see us all together showing just how much we enjoy Savage Rifts.

Savagerifts.com the best gaming community in the MegaVerse!

YouTube Live Stream Link

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Stoic
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Re: SavageRifts.com Presents - Ask Me Anything with Sean Owen Roberson

Post by Stoic »

Will the Psi-Ghosts have an SPC type unlimited ability to turn intangible, or will it now be AB:Psionics with Intangibility as a core power?
GM Bennies 9/9
Wild Card Bennies ?
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Due to Weird Science being neither magic nor psionics, will races unable to take both or either type of AB be allowed to take Weird Science? (i.e. Grackletooth, etc). Secondarily, will strain from cybernetics affect Weird Science? Given it's meant to cover the limits of technology (even if the specific technology need not be widespread technology), and not magic, these are valid questions.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Can a Glitter Boy pilot use the Double Tap Edge with a Boom Gun? If so, why do you hate GMs? If not, why do you hate players? :D

On the subject of Glitter Boys, will they have any cool new Iconic Edges to give them more flavor as they advance?

Update: if you’re in the market for new GB Iconic Edges, something to make them Unstoppable could be fun. Or something that lets them access Edges they might not otherwise be able to use in their GB suits. Or maybe whatever cool thing you’ve got cooking for the PA/RA MARS pilots.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

With Multiple AB being allowed, how would a character like a Sphinx or a Dragon PC who learns multiple PPE based arcane backgrounds work?

Would they have the single pool of energy just access to alternate lists with their different skill, or would they follow the SWADE guideline and have two separate pools of PPE?
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Design wise: what determines if an IF gets iconic edges?

What is one thing you regret not getting into the new books?

We need a True Atlantean race write up and tattoo magic. Who do we got to kill to make it happen? But also seriously can we expect these in phase three?
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

What are two things you are most proud of that you have coming in the new books?

The juicer and burn introduced a really creative mechanic that translated the feeling of a OCC into Savage worlds. Do you guys have anything similar to that in the three books? Where you had to come up with something new in SR to translate the feeling of a OCC?

When folks are play testing what kind of feedback is really constructive for you and the team?
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:52 pm When folks are play testing what kind of feedback is really constructive for you and the team?
Likewise, what types of feedback are useless or counter productive?
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I love that you reminded me about the survival horror and thinking man’s aspects of Rifts. The horror side bar is super fun. Will there be other tips, mechanics, advice, to help run those types of themes within a game? Possibly in the GM guide?
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Jim1

Post by Jim1 »

Are there any plans to bring Master of Magic back to Techno-Wizards and/or Weird Scientists in any form, say, in the Arcana & Mysticism book?

If not, is there going to be a rule added anywhere as to whether Techno-Wizard devices with built-in powers have access to the Mega Power Modifiers?
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Some Psi-Stalker Questions:
  • How does their racial Fleet Footed Edge stack with the Fleet Footed Edge from the Wilderness Scout MARS framework?
  • Does feeding on the PPE/ISP of a mage who is Incapacitated/killed need to occur in the same round as the mage is Incapacitated/killed, or can it be done the round after Incapacitation/death?
  • Does feeding on the PPE/ISP of a mage who is Incapacitated/killed require an opposed Spirit roll?
  • Is the Psi-Stalker's Psychic Sense (i.e., detect arcana) supposed to be treated as an Innate Ability, which would give the players the option to spend ISP on modifiers (including mega modifiers)?
  • Are there any plans for new Psi-Stalker Edges? Something like a "Fast Feeder" Edge to allow a Psi-Stalker to use his Psychic Vampire ability as a free action (or otherwise cancel out the multi-action penalty for using it in the same round as an attack) would be awesome.
Some Psionics Questions:
  • How close does a psionic character need to be to a ley line to take advantage of the boost to duration, range, and effect of psionic abilities? Touching the ley line? Within Spirit inches of the ley line?
  • Same question for Dynamic Backlash.
  • If players take the Major Psionic or Master Psionic Edges for their characters, are there any plans to allow them to expand their power lists?
  • If a Major Psionic spends a Benny for Power Points, can he get 10 back instead of 5?
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Jim1 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:33 am Are there any plans to bring Master of Magic back to Techno-Wizards and/or Weird Scientists in any form, say, in the Arcana & Mysticism book?

If not, is there going to be a rule added anywhere as to whether Techno-Wizard devices with built-in powers have access to the Mega Power Modifiers?
Playtest WS says they have access to mega powers automatically.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:41 am
Jim1 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:33 am Are there any plans to bring Master of Magic back to Techno-Wizards and/or Weird Scientists in any form, say, in the Arcana & Mysticism book?

that is how i read it. The general rules for Weird Science say they start with mega mods and the previous ruling was unless stated otherwise the general rules for an AB apply to the IF ABs.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

RFT wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:50 am
Pender Lumkiss wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:41 am

that is how i read it. The general rules for Weird Science say they start with mega mods and the previous ruling was unless stated otherwise the general rules for an AB apply to the IF ABs.
I think the only weird thing is that it is a pretty deep dive to get to where you(Rob) and I are at. IF does not mention it, Master of Magic edge does not list weird science, and you got to pay close attention to the changes in the WS AB which sets itself apart from a magical AB to get to where we arrived. Some clarification in the IF could not hurt. “ Has access to Mega Modifiers” is all it needs.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

Just something that Sean said on the Peg Forums. It may or may not mean that TW should get mega modifiers for free but I do think it means that you can't assume that just becuase Weird Science does something that Techno-Wizardry will work the same way.
PEGRoberson wrote:Non-TW Weird Science is covered under the entry of the same name on page 58.

Please give me some hard feedback on what is specifically unclear from page 58 or the TW entry in the TLPG, since it was basically written as a standalone Arcane Background. Thanks, I want to get it right and clarified while we have the chance, and sometimes I am too close to it to see it the same way as yall do, if that makes any sense.
Radecliffe
Player: James
Active Alts: Jim Cannon, Jame Graeme, Dorn GiantSlayer, Steele

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Pace: 8; Running Die: d8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(4); Strain: 6/6; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Agility: Athletics d8, Fighting d8, Shooting d6, Stealth d8, Thievery d8
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Healing d6+2, Language (American) d8, Notice d8, Occult d10, Psionics d10, Survival d10+2
Spirit: Persuasion d4

Imperator

Post by Imperator »

Do they know in what order the other new books will be released?
GM bennies

Characters Imperator (GM account)Action Stan, Antipas, Xiang,
Osgood

Post by Osgood »

What is the status of an updated Foes of NA? Running something with the playtest players guide, but outdated enemies means serious imbalances or a lot of extra work for the GM. It's tough to provide real in-play feedback without both. (Selfishly, I'm going to be starting a campaign in about a month and I'd really like to know what to expect by then.)

Recognizing that exact dates are impossible to say, what is the approximate pace you expect to release new books? Every 2 weeks? 1 a month? Will we see staggered release of updated originals alternating with the new expansions?

I heard that one of the new books will have a Rifts-specific version of the elf. Can we expect to see any other races from the core rules updated (dwarves, half-folk, etc.)? Or perhaps guidelines for updating them ourselves (such as how to offset Distinctive D-Bee)? A list of new races in the new books would be nice.

Can a non-mega damage weapon penetrate MDC armor if it has a sufficient AP value? For example a TX-11 rifle (AP 6) vs. Gladius Armor (+6 Armor, MDC).
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Original Rifts (tm) featured a disparate range of power levels (to put it mildly), making it awkward to have characters like Glitter Boys, dragons and demigod magi in the same party as "normal" rogue scholars, city rats and saddle tramps. Savage Rifts 1.0 largely embraced the superhero power level but brought MARS and other lower-powered OCCs up to that level (one of its greatest strengths, IMO). The newest playtest doc dials down the power level, purposefully, per Sean's previous comments. Can you expand a little bit on the reasoning for those changes, and what you see as the intended power level of starting characters? Scroungers and Novices? Competent professionals? Big damn heroes?

EDIT:

Second question: How much metaplot/campaign advancement will we see in the news books? Mostly rehashing what has come before in Palladium Rifts books, or will there be new/unique narrative developments like the introduction of the Tomorrow Legion?

EDIT 2:

Also: Why do you hate crazies/TWs/MARS/cybernetics? How many of your/your friends'/significant others' characters are cyber-knights?
:mrgreen:
GM Bennies: 7/7
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Tribe of One wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:45 am Original Rifts (tm) featured a disparate range of power levels (to put it mildly), making it awkward to have characters like Glitter Boys, dragons and demigod magi in the same party as "normal" rogue scholars, city rats and saddle tramps. Savage Rifts 1.0 largely embraced the superhero power level but brought MARS and other lower-powered OCCs up to that level (one of its greatest strengths, IMO). The newest playtest doc dials down the power level, purposefully, per Sean's previous comments. Can you expand a little bit on the reasoning for those changes, and what you see as the intended power level of starting characters? Scroungers and Novices? Competent professionals? Big damn heroes?
I think this would be a great question for him. i saw his answer and agree with it 100%. But not everyone follows the boards.

He basically said because it is easy as a GM to say 'Hey this will be higher powered, everyone take and extra couple rolls on the HJ table, or have some bonus. but it is real hard to take something away and dial back'.

Tribe of One wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:45 amEDIT:

Second question: How much metaplot/campaign advancement will we see in the news books? Mostly rehashing what has come before in Palladium Rifts books, or will there be new/unique narrative developments like the introduction of the Tomorrow Legion?
I am also totally interested in this. Will we see an advancing plot like Rifts or will it be a static world. Great question, because I did not realize how much i wanted assumed advances until you asked.

Tribe of One wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:45 amEDIT 2:
Also: Why do you hate crazies/TWs/MARS/cybernetics? How many of your/your friends'/significant others' characters are cyber-knights?
:mrgreen:
lol

I do not think this maintains the 'tone' solicited. But I may be missing something in the text.

Perhaps asking him if why he is a bully to those with mental disabilities would be better?
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Imperator

Post by Imperator »

When can we expect to hear more about the SWADE update for the super powers companion?
GM bennies

Characters Imperator (GM account)Action Stan, Antipas, Xiang,
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Thanks everyone who joined us,

In case you missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGCFbzgoJ9A

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Thanks for this @Venatus Vinco I think it went real well and you allowed him plently of time to answer and chat.

A couple spots where your sound was louder than his, but overall great in that both you and he where 100% clear and easy to hear.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Super fun! Loved his just listing everything going into the arcana and mystiscim book at the end. It sounded like a whole ton, and if there are three books... wow.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6

Return to “Out of Character Topics”