Item Creation Guidelines

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Item Creation Guidelines

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Item Creation

Techno-Wizard Items
Use rules found in Revised Tomorrow Legion Player’s Guide.
  • For Signature Items assume a Heroic ranked Techno-Wizard.

Removed offending text
creation cost x 2 to calculate repair costs. Base weapons and armor are any "Common" weapon or armor found on page 40-41 of Empires of Humanity
Super Science Items
Use the Minor and Major Item Creation rules found in Arcana & Mysticism with the following adjustments.
  • Minor Item Creation (Requirements: Seasoned, Artificer, Arcane Background Weird Science, Repair d8+)
  • Major Item Creation (Requirements: Veteran, Minor Item Creation, Gadgeteer, Science d10+)
  • The Super Scientist rolls the lower of her Science, Repair, or Arcane Skill
  • GM may add +1 to +4 for advanced tools, workshops, labs, schematics, or other benefits.
  • Items require a power source such as e-clips or batteries and lose all special abilities if unpowered.
  • Edges not currently available to Player Characters until tested.
For Signature Items choose a piece of Adventuring Gear,Weapon, or Armor and choose one of the following options:
  • 2 Minor and 2 Major upgrades up to Heroic rank
  • Up to 3 Hero’s Journey modifications for weapons and armor.
Removed Offending text
or any "Common" weapon or armor found on page 40-41 of Empires of Humanity), use creation cost x 2 to calculate repair costs
Enchanted Items
Use the Minor and Major Item Creation rules found in Arcana & Mysticism. Magic melee weapons always deal Mega Damage.

For Signature Items choose one option:
  • An enchanted item (weapon, armor, gear, etc.) with 2 Minor and 2 Major Upgrades up to Heroic rank.
    • For armor use light or heavy Enchanted Armor from Arcana and Mysticism as a base item.
    • For weapons use medieval melee or ranged weapons (SWADE Personal Weapons section) as a base item and add an additional damage die.
    • For gear use the “Magic Items & Equipment” sidebar on page 46 of Arcana & Mysticism to re-trap a piece of gear (not weapons or armor) as “magic”. Subject to GM approval process.
  • Use an existing Magic Item (comparable in power to Spirit Bow or Spirit Spear) as a template. Subject to GM approval process.
Removed offending text
Use creation cost x 2 to calculate repair costs and
Change Log (10/22/2019)
- Removed text still under discussion

Change Log (10/21/2019-2)
- Limited base items for Signature TW and Super Science Weapons.

Change Log (10/21/2019-1)
- Updated "Magic Item & Equipment" to be specifically gear.
- Added Major/Minor mods to non-weapon/armor magic items
- Added Repair cost calculations
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Re: Item Creation Guidelines

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Reminder, House Rule Hangout is here: https://hangouts.google.com/group/cePZEot9DT7Sqrdc9

Stay off public channels with your fire and brimstone.

VV
Signature
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

My first impression is that I like it, but I don’t think I would break the book rule and allow more than 2 HJ roll Upgrades. That would give approximately 12 EP worth of benefit (4 HJ selections, including a “pick any” armor or weapon result, though a sig item selection range is actually larger because sig items are not limited to item categories from the tables) for 10 EP. Keeping it at 2 gives approximately 9 EP worth of results. Maybe let them have some additional RP benefit to make up the “missing” 1 EP?
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

No fire and brimstone from me: I like it. Nice compromise on Enchanted stuff, too.

I think three HJ roll upgrades as a Super Science option is fine. The HJ table "buy" option limits you to two, as does the EP option (or just one mod, if you're using EP to get the armor/weapon in the first place), so allowing three here actually makes a Sig Item special (and is hardly overpowering, considering the power level of what's on the tables in comparison to what you can do with TW/Enchanted). It's also not breaking hard limit, as you can theoretically layer as many as 7 HJ table mods on a single suit of armor/weapon (a MARS Merc gets an armor of choice, rolls all 3 HJ rolls on Body Armor, then takes Rich + Filthy Rich for 4 more). No one's gonna break the game with a particle beam rifle that gets +2 damage and +2 AP.

Also worth remembering: You can get any single body armor, personal weapon or piece of gear in the game for 1 Edge, via Rich, and some of those options are going to be more powerful than any Sig Item you can build. The real value of the Sig Item is the customization available.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Super science seems crazy over powered. You can use hi tech items and then add two major and two minor mods to them. Enchanted by comparison must start at archaic weapons and build up(barring the spirit bow and spear). I would not allow them in any game I run. However the three HJ rolls are fine.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:39 am Super science seems crazy over powered. You can use hi tech items and then add two major and two minor mods to them.
Compared to TW it is still less powerful. TW adds many modifiers to high tech weapons. Super tech also does not allow mega-modifiers which both enchanted and TW do.
Enchanted by comparison must start at archaic weapons and build up(barring the spirit bow and spear).
The above presentation gives extra oomph to archaic weapons by automatically adding a damage die.
I would not allow them in any game I run.
GMs throw this phrase around a lot. I personally find it unhelpful and kind of antagonistic.
However the three HJ rolls are fine.
Thanks. The consensus is growing.

VV
Signature
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Super Science with mods also would still require E-clips and/or batteries, and would have to spend mods to fuel any powers you added, since you couldnt tap into external PPE or ISP.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Right. I forgot to mention that, any items with powers automatically burns 1 mod on power points. Although that is quasi true for enchanted items too if you want non-arcane users to have access.

Super tech by definition also suffers technical difficulties.

If we're super worried let's make some really borked example items and see what it looks like.

VV
Signature
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

All above noted thanks. This all seems eerily familiar no? Like wasn’t this super tech 1.0?
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:34 pm All above noted thanks. This all seems eerily familiar no? Like wasn’t this super tech 1.0?
I think it was similar, but we didn't have access to generic Power Points so it kept breaking down. Allowing power points that are not PPE/ISP allows us to do less gymnastics and use the same framework as magic items.

VV
Signature
Carlos
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Carlos »

I really do not understand supertech well enough to say if it is broken, but the limiting of Signature items to heroic rather than legendary seems reasonable.
Low Light Vision
Alertness - Additional Benefit: Senses Presence of Supernatural Creatures and Ley Line Storms
Danger Sense - Additional Benefit: May detect of food or drink is spoiled or poisoned
Beast Master - Additional Benefit: Monstrous Animals also like the character

Bennies 3/3
Wounds 0/3
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Retail Cost should have a default. Repair costs are based on market costs so players will need this information very frequently.

The way markets work I suggest Material Costs x2 to account for overhead and labor.

(This does not mean you can sell for twice of value, unless you get a business and a store front to maintain inventory, waiting for the right buyer.)
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

EDIT - please see my reply below. This post was supposed to be edited and is a lot more raw in emotion than I intended.

For the base archaic weapons, instead of a damage die for extra weapons, give it the same treatment as vibro-blades - +1 Die Type and AP equal to the new die. Knives go from Str+d4 to Str+d6 AP 6. That way they have parity with the primary melee weapon of the setting. Then there is no argument that supertech is suddenly better than enchanted.
Use the “Magic Items & Equipment” sidebar on page 46 of Arcana & Mysticism to re-trap an item as “magic”. Subject to GM approval process.
There is no version of this where anyone should pay 15 EP for something the book literally gives guidelines to the GM saying it should be available to them at 150-200% of base cost. The idea someone has to pay 15 EP because they want a magic hammer of destruction and all they get is a magical impact maul is absolute crap. You might make an argument that they lose a mod or something, but in no way is there ANY item in the book, BFB aside, worth 15 EP.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

High Command wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:13 pm For the base archaic weapons, instead of a damage die for extra weapons, give it the same treatment as vibro-blades - +1 Die Type and AP equal to the new die. Knives go from Str+d4 to Str+d6 AP 6. That way they have parity with the primary melee weapon of the setting. Then there is no argument that supertech is suddenly better than enchanted.
But then Enchanted weapons are just vibro-blades, which is boring. By adding a die, but no AP, you end up with some variety, but similar utility. An Enchanted greatsword is going to do Str+2d10 (avg Str+12ish) compared to the vibro-greatsword doing Str+7ish that more or less ignores armor. Against high armor Foes, the vibro-greatsword is slightly better, but against low-mid armor, the Enchanted blade has a better chance at Aces.

I agree that "not-tech" still ought to get some mods, though.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

High Command wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:13 pm The idea someone has to pay 15 EP because they want a magic hammer of destruction and all they get is a magical impact maul is absolute crap. You might make an argument that they lose a mod or something, but in no way is there ANY item in the book, BFB aside, worth 15 EP.
Firstly, signature items are 10 EP.

Secondly, I find the method of argumentation entirely unhelpful. If my idea is "absolute crap" then I would expect a reasonable alternative not a rant.

Third, I tend to agree that equivalency may not be "worth it" but would rather strike that bullet point entirely than try to account for every scenario adding mods might create.

Thanks.

VV
Signature
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Duly noted. I was trying to raise points for discussion.

I would like to note that I fell asleep last night mid edit - a significant edit. So I apologize for any terseness in my message. I acknowledge that it needed work, which is why I was DOING that. I will include it below so I can show that I was intending to offer solutions, not just criticism. The fix is surprisingly easy because you can simply assign table titles to what can have mods. Lasers get more, Particle Beams get less.

I will also note that Signature Items are supposed to be well above book items. The point at which Book items with a retrapping become a default options then we have failed at the core mission of signature items.
unfinished edit
Item Creation wrote:Techno-Wizard Items
Ok, love it
Item Creation wrote:Super Science Items
Ok, love it
Item Creation wrote:Enchanted Items
Use the Minor and Major Item Creation rules found in Arcana & Mysticism. Magic melee weapons always deal Mega Damage. For Signature Items choose one option:

* An enchanted item with 2 Minor and 2 Major Upgrades up to Heroic rank.
  • For armor use light or heavy Enchanted Armor from Arcana and Mysticism as a base item.
  • For weapons use medieval melee or ranged weapons (SWADE Personal Weapons section) as a base item and add an additional damage die.
Instead of a damage die for extra weapons, give it the same treatment as vibro-blades - +1 Die Type and AP equal to the new die. Knives go from Str+d4 to Str+d6 AP 6. That way they have parity with the primary melee weapon of the setting. Then there is no argument that supertech is suddenly better than enchanted.
Item Creation wrote:
  • Use the “Magic Items & Equipment” sidebar on page 46 of Arcana & Mysticism to re-trap an item as “magic”. Subject to GM approval process.
  • Use an existing Magic Item (comparable in power to Spirit Bow or Spirit Spear) as a template. Subject to GM approval process.
I disagree with the options available here. There is no version of this where anyone should pay 1510 EP for something the book literally gives guidelines to the GM saying it should be available to them at 150-200% of base cost. The idea someone has to pay 1510 EP because they want a magic hammer of destruction and all they get is a magical impact maul is a travesty.

For Signature Items choose one option:
An enchanted item with 2 Minor and 2 Major Upgrades up to Heroic rank.
Use the “Magic Items & Equipment” sidebar on page 46 of Arcana & Mysticism to re-trap an item as “magic”.
  • If chosen from the Body Armor (except any MDC Armor), Advanced Melee Weapons, Ion Weapons, Plasma Weapons, or Laser Weapons charts, then apply 1 Minor and 1 Major abilities, up to Heroic Rank. Items from Adventuring gear can also be chosen.
  • If chosen from any MDC Armor, Particle Beams, grenade launchers, the Special Weapons table (except for railguns), Rocket Launchers, then apply 1 minor ability.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Tribe of One wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:29 pmBut then Enchanted weapons are just vibro-blades, which is boring. By adding a die, but no AP, you end up with some variety, but similar utility. An Enchanted greatsword is going to do Str+2d10 (avg Str+12ish) compared to the vibro-greatsword doing Str+7ish that more or less ignores armor. Against high armor Foes, the vibro-greatsword is slightly better, but against low-mid armor, the Enchanted blade has a better chance at Aces.
You say boring, I say competitive. Mooks are rarely what we focus our big bad weapons on. Generally we bring high damage, high area of effect/rof options for mooks.

I originally had my suggestion at +1 die type and AP equal to the *old* die type, but realized Vibro-blades were better than that.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

High Command wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:46 am Instead of a damage die for extra weapons, give it the same treatment as vibro-blades - +1 Die Type and AP equal to the new die. Knives go from Str+d4 to Str+d6 AP 6. That way they have parity with the primary melee weapon of the setting. Then there is no argument that supertech is suddenly better than enchanted.
Makes some sense, AP is definitely more prevalent in Rifts. However, using the Spirit weapon templates gets you there if you want a good damage/AP profile plus a powerful magic effect (essentially it's +2 damage dice, AP 6 for both weapons, with at least a major mod).
Use the “Magic Items & Equipment” sidebar on page 46 of Arcana & Mysticism to re-trap an item as “magic”.
  • If chosen from the Body Armor (except any MDC Armor), Advanced Melee Weapons, Ion Weapons, Plasma Weapons, or Laser Weapons charts, then apply 1 Minor and 1 Major abilities, up to Heroic Rank. Items from Adventuring gear can also be chosen.
  • If chosen from any MDC Armor, Particle Beams, grenade launchers, the Special Weapons table (except for railguns), Rocket Launchers, then apply 1 minor ability.
[/OOC]
It didn't even occur to me that these would be weapons and armor, I literally thought more like items. If anything I would exclude weapons and armor from this option in favour of bullet #1.

If you wanted to make a magical gun use the spirit bow and work out a magical effect for armor use enchanted armor. Otherwise our conversation about melee weapons above is somewhat moot as the best course of action under this schema is just to choose a vibro weapon and add 1 major, 1 minor or a laser rifle.

I am okay with considering one major, one minor to gear. Although part of me wants people to use this category to come up with really cool stuff that fits their concept and not box it in too much.

VV
Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I would just like to repeat the above post for reference.
Rob Towell wrote:Market Cost should have a default. Repair costs are based on market costs so players will need this information very frequently.

The way markets work I suggest Material Costs x2 to account for overhead and labor.

(This does not mean you can sell for twice of value, unless you get a business and a store front to maintain inventory, waiting for the right buyer.)
I will leave the rest to you all.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

I for one would prefer NOT using the vibro blade approach for magic weapons. I like VV's idea of adding a die just because it means there are actual choices rather than one choice and a label maker. If you want a magic vibro sword go find yourself a crafting mystic to make you an amulet or bracelet with celestial silver smite + 10 PPE. The #1 thing I personally found in the play tests we did is that AP does not have to be the end all be all for weapons. So I strongly disagree that using this method is not a competitive option.

As to Super Science I find the entry pretty well done. I do not mind the fact that edges are left out. I'd even say leave them out. I'd even go so far as to wish they were left out of TW and Enchanted Items only because it seems like a lot of the issues that get argued about regarding balance ends up revolving around edges. They are just messy. Sorry, not really suggesting any changes to the way TW or Enchanted items uses Edges. Just an observation.

I know at one point there was disappointment because they wanted magic guns (I assume six shooters) which would be precluded under the argument of limiting weapons to the medieval variety. I'd just point out that "modern" firearms from SWADE would be ancient weapons in Rifts Earth unless you were trying to upgrade the tech in some way. Certainly a Peacemaker can be made by any gunsmith with a 19th level of technology at their disposal. So making a six shooter equivalent of a Spirit Bow does not seem a stretch to me.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Let's try some examples.

The Colt
"Back in 1835, when Halley's Comet was overhead, the same night those men died at the Alamo, they say Samuel Colt made a gun... a special gun. He made it for a hunter -- a man like us, only on horseback. The story goes he made 13 bullets. This hunter used the gun a half dozen times before he disappeared, the gun along with him. Somehow, Daniel got his hands on it. They say -- they say this gun can kill anything." — John Winchester tells the legend of the Colt
  • Range: 30/60/120
  • Damage: 4d6 AP 6
  • ROF: 1
  • Min Str.: d6
  • Weight: 3
  • Payload: 6
  • Notes: A magic item. Mega Damage. Fires enchanted bullets—requires custom handloaded ammunition that becomes enchanted when you load it. Gains +1d6 damage and +6 AP vs. supernatural evil.
Thundergun
A magic revolver that produces an thunderous sound when it hits a target.
  • Range: 30/60/120
  • Damage: 4d6 AP 6
  • Min Str.: d6
  • Weight: 3
  • Notes: A magic item. Mega Damage. Makes a massive thunderclap when it hits a target affecting everyone (including the shooter) within a Small Blast Template, who must check Vigor at −2. On a failure, the victim is Shaken and Hard of Hearing (Major) for 3d6 minutes (this may not cause a Wound). On a Critical Failure the victim is Stunned. Those with Hard of Hearing (Minor) or hearing protection ignore the penalty; Hard of Hearing (Major) are immune.
Signature
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Barbarian Blade
A massive two-handed sword (Sword, Great)
  • Damage: Str+2d10, AP 4
  • Min Str.: d10
  • Weight: 6
  • Notes: Magic Item. Two hands. +1d6 damage vs. creatures three Sizes larger or more. +4 AP against M.D.C. targets
CS Anti-Armor Monomolecular Blade
A large two handed sword for close in fighting against armored threats (Vibro-Great Sword)
  • Damage: Str+d12, AP 16
  • Min Str: d10
  • Weight: 8
  • Notes: Super-Tech Item. Two Hands. Reach 1. +1d6 damage vs. creatures three Sizes larger or more. +4 AP against M.D.C. targets
For Both
Minor: +2 AP (x2)
Major: Giant Killer. Take 'Em Down

Pros and Cons: Obviously AP is way better on the super-tech version but you start acing those d10s and the magic version isn't bad. AP will be handy if you're charging a heavily armored robot but maxes out in utility in an infantry fight. Super-tech won't do anything against Murder Wraiths and other things that can only be damaged by magic items...it'll probably cost a lot more and is subject to technical difficulties too.

Super-tech suffers the same issues as TW...it's stacking on already super powered weapons and items. If it's too much of a disparity I would drop super tech as an option since anyone can use magic items instead (except CS troops).

VV
Signature
Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

The Barbarian Blade vs. the CS AA Mono Blade has an average damage of 22(4) vs 29(16) when wielded by someone with a d10 strength. The number in parenthesis is the AP and is included in the average damage. I like the comparison as the high tech weapon has the advantage vs. high armor targets and the magic blade has an advantage against lower armored targets. Once the target's armor value is less than 9 or less then the magic blade has parity or has an advantage over the high tech blade.

When you factor in the edges you are:
  • 31(8) vs 37(20) against MDC creatures 3+ sized bigger. The magic blade overtakes the tech blade against targets with 14 armor or less.
  • 27(4) vs 33(16) against non-MDC creatures 3+ sized bigger. The magic blade overtakes the tech blade against targets with 10 armor or less.
  • 26(8) vs 33(20) against MDC creatures less than 3+ size bigger. The magic blade overtakes the tech blade against targets with 13 armor or less.
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

All look good to me, although I feel like I should disagree about something so VV, Radecliffe and I don't all agree and set off the apocalypse or something.
Hans Greuber
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Hans Greuber »

Ndreare wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:30 pm Retail Cost should have a default. Repair costs are based on market costs so players will need this information very frequently.

I say Enchanted Items made without the Raise get a smaller markup... as in they are marginal successes... like maybe +50%. Items made with a Raise, however get the full +100%.
Hans Greuber

PPE: 15 / 30 (11 - 13 Invested into Gargamel, 1 Invested into Humble's Bracelet)
Silver Ring 1: 5 / 10
Silver Ring 2: 5 / 10
Active Powers:
None
Combat Edges/Hindrances:
Hesitant
Arcane Machinist Gadgets Left: 1 /6
Created Gadgets:
Arcane Protection (6 PPE left)
Remote Viewing (6 PPE left)
Teleport (4 PPE left)
Dispel (9 PPE left)

Bennies: 1 (+1 Z) / 3
Base Amount
+1 Zombie Bennie
-1 to Reroll Fear against Vithen Wraiths
-1 to Reroll Arcana to Find Geist among Mirror Selves

Toughness: 16 (8); Parry: 4; Pace: 5 (d4)
Golems:
Gargamel (Invested PPE, Flying Pace 12, Mind Rider)
Huey (Mind Rider), Dewey, Louis
Alvin (Mind Rider), Simon, Theodore
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=76048#p76048

Hans:
  • Fatigue: 0
    Wounds: 0
Golems (*=Mind Link, #=Winged)
  • Gargamel*#
    Huey*
    Dewey
    Louis
    Alvin*
    Simon
    Theodore
Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

Hans Greuber wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:08 am
Ndreare wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:30 pm Retail Cost should have a default. Repair costs are based on market costs so players will need this information very frequently.

I say Enchanted Items made without the Raise get a smaller markup... as in they are marginal successes... like maybe +50%. Items made with a Raise, however get the full +100%.
The success without a raise has a lower base cost as the materials set aside for additional upgrades from the raise are not consumed for major item creation on a success. I don't see the need to use different markups at least on major upgrades.

If I am hoping for 2 major mods at 20,000 each on a raise and get a success then the second 20,000 of materials are not consumed and can be used in another attempt. So markup on a success is 20,000 x 2 = 40,000 and on a raise 40,000 x 2 = 80,000. At least this is my understanding of the process.

With minor mods it looks like a flat 10,000 with a "free" extra minor mod on a raise. From a cost perspective you are out the same amount regardless but I can see the market value of a higher markup.

For reference in both cases I'm looking at Major and Minor Item Creation respectively.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Use the “Magic Items & Equipment” sidebar on page 46 of Arcana & Mysticism to re-trap an item as “magic”. Subject to GM approval process.
If you don't want this to be weapons or gear, then make that abundantly clear:

Suggestion: Use the “Magic Items & Equipment” sidebar on page 46 of Arcana & Mysticism to re-trap a piece of Adventuring Gear as “magic”. Subject to GM approval process.

I would DEFINITELY suggest it gets mods in that case, however. There is no tech I can think of that is worth the cost of retrapping to magic. There are several magic items I can see worth the cost, but that's not what we are talking about here. I can see a crossbow shooting "bolts" of energy being worth it, especially if it can get some mods on it (maybe a Minor to make it silver bolts of energy - Trapping Change). I cannot see the point of paying 10 EP for a magical computer or magical optic glasses that act like Infrared Distancing Binoculars, or even a multi-optic scope.

PokeDex: This rugged enchanted wrist device has the ability to scan monsters and is capable of withstanding the shock of running around and trying not to die in a Mega-Damage world. This device can scan any monster you can see and adds a +2 bonus to Occult or Survival rolls to identify its weaknesses and ability. The bonus also applies to any Research rolls for recalling history or similar research regarding those creatures. (2 lb, 40,000 credits).

That is a simple retrap of the field computer. Aside from wording and a focus changes, it does precisely what the original does. Is it worth 40,000? Maybe. is it worth 10 EP? No.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Dorn Forgehammer wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:19 pm

The success without a raise has a lower base cost as the materials set aside for additional upgrades from the raise are not consumed for major item creation on a success. I don't see the need to use different markups at least on major upgrades.
This is balanced by the fact that they are consumed on a failure with no benefit, which is much, much more likely.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

Ndreare wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:22 pm
Dorn Forgehammer wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:19 pm

This is balanced by the fact that they are consumed on a failure with no benefit, which is much, much more likely.
If the creator is taking advantage of possible positive modifiers (e.g. ley line PPE) I don't see it as being prone to failure. Looking at the Ritual section it does look like they toned down the amount of PPE you can make use of on a ley line though if creator has made himself a fetish to boost the relevant skill and can scrape enough PPE for a +2 that's at least a even roll for a major item. But if that's going to be the major factor then I suppose I'm not going to argue the point further.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

High Command wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:20 pm Suggestion: Use the “Magic Items & Equipment” sidebar on page 46 of Arcana & Mysticism to re-trap a piece of Adventuring Gear as “magic”. Subject to GM approval process.
I'll play with the wording. I really want this to have flexibility for people to do things that have a lot of flavour. So Adventuring Gear but maybe the SFC or just something the player dreams up.
I would DEFINITELY suggest it gets mods in that case, however.
Do you have an number in mind? Otherwise, perhaps returning a suggestion above where "making it magic" takes one mod slot (perhaps major?) leaving one major and 2 minors? I'm not even opposed to 2/2. Yeah...let's keep it simple.

VV
Signature
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Dorn Forgehammer wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:43 pm
If the creator is taking advantage of possible positive modifiers (e.g. ley line PPE) I don't see it as being prone to failure. Looking at the Ritual section it does look like they toned down the amount of PPE you can make use of on a ley line though if creator has made himself a fetish to boost the relevant skill and can scrape enough PPE for a +2 that's at least a even roll for a major item. But if that's going to be the major factor then I suppose I'm not going to argue the point further.
[/quote]

I think you are assuming there is a massive amount of wild cards out there working factory lines.
Even if you somehow have enough PPE available at a line you still fail on a 3 or less. So a by the book d10 enchanter (line walker?) would fail 30% of projects while getting a raise on 30% of the time.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

For super science I feel like narrowing the scope a little...can we limit weapons and armor the "Common" ones listed in EoH?

This takes a lot of annoying edge cases of the table.

VV
Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

sure, limits are awesome.

They help bring scope.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

No problem with the common armor list. It's average but that's the point and with upgrades you can get some nice customization. Weapons are fine except for the following:
  • I wish there were a standard Laser Rifle (minor point especially if we can just use the Assault Laser Rifle sans grenade launcher if desired.)
  • The Pulse Laser Rifle does not reference the Heavy Pulse ability as most other pulse weapons do.
  • The Plasma Rifle is junk compared to the NG-E4 Plasma Projector in the TLPG. Less damage, fewer shots and has Snapfire. That last really breaks the camel's back as I know of no way to remove Snapfire from a weapon using any kind of upgrade. Even with 2 minors and 2 majors I don't see how you get this thing up to the level of the E4.
I posted in the type thread over in the in the Feedback forum about the pulse laser and the plasma rifle just in case they had been overlooked in the final edits.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

I could see adding Heavy Pulse and removing Snapfire; I can also see adding a basic non-pulse laser; additionally VV and I talked about a basic Heavy EBA proceeding mathematically from the Medium EBA (so +6/+3, 22 pounds, D8 Min Strength, 40,000). We could probably make those changes just for this. I am working up base items for Signature Items; will reply in a bit
Tales of the 17th SOG
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Base Item Templates for Signature Items
The following weapons and armor are pre-approved for all of the Signature Item Types (Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech, or Enchanted Items) they are shown approved for.

Adventuring Gear Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech, Enchanted Items
• Cost: Varies
• Rarity: varies
Copy this for your sheet

Code: Select all

[b]Adventuring Gear[/b] 
• Feature
• Feature
• • Notes:  
• Weight: (00 lb)

Melee Weapons
Enchanted Melee Weapon Approved for: Enchanted Items
• Base Item: Choose one from the medieval melee personal weapons table in SWADE
• Cost: Varies (base item x5)
• Rarity: -2
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Enchanted Melee Weapon[/b] 
• Damage: as base item and add an additional damage die, AP as Base Item
• • Notes: [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59317]MD[/url], Notes as base Item
• Strength Minimum: d4 (0 lb)
Vibro-Knife Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 7,000
• Rarity: +2
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Vibro-Knife[/b] 
• Damage: Str+d6, AP 6
• • Notes: [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59307]Harmonic Blades[/url], [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59317]MD[/url], [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59323]Powered Weapons[/url]
• Strength Minimum: d4 (2 lb)
Vibro-Bayonet Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 8,000
• Rarity: +0
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Vibro-Bayonet[/b] 
• Damage: Str+d6, AP 6
• • Notes: [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59307]Harmonic Blades[/url], [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59317]MD[/url], [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59323]Powered Weapons[/url]; When attached to a rifle, Str+d8, AP 8, Parry +1, Reach 1, two hands.
Vibro-Shortsword Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 9,000
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Vibro-Shortsword[/b] 
• Damage: Str+d8, AP 8
• • Notes: [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59307]Harmonic Blades[/url], [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59317]MD[/url], [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59323]Powered Weapons[/url]
• Strength Minimum: d6 (3 lb)
Vibro-Longsword Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 11,000
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Vibro-Longsword [/b] 
• Damage: Str+d10, AP 10
• Strength Minimum: d8 (4 lb)
Vibro-Greatsword Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 18,000
• Rarity: +-1
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Vibro-Greatsword[/b] 
• Damage: Str+d12, AP 12
• • Notes: [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59307]Harmonic Blades[/url], [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59317]MD[/url], [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59323]Powered Weapons[/url], Reach 1, two hands (Size 1 and above may use 1 handed)
• Strength Minimum: d10 (8 lb)
Vibro-Blade Vambraces Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 11,000
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Vibro-Blade Vambraces[/b] 
• Damage: Str+2d4, AP 8
• • Notes: [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59307]Harmonic Blades[/url], [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59317]MD[/url], [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59323]Powered Weapons[/url], Parry +1 (must be worn as a pair for the bonus). Count as Claws.
• Strength Minimum: d6 (2 lb)
Giant Vibro Sword Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 50,000
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Giant Vibro Sword[/b] 
• Damage: Str+2d8, AP 16
• • Notes: [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59307]Harmonic Blades[/url], [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59317]MD[/url], [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59323]Powered Weapons[/url], Reach 2; sized for Size 2 or larger, requires two hands if not Size 3 or larger.
• Strength Minimum: d12+2 (16 lb)

Ranged Weapons
Enchanted Ranged Weapon Approved for: Enchanted Items
• Base Item: Choose one from the medieval ranged personal weapons table in SWADE
• Cost: Varies (base item x5)
• Rarity: varies
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Enchanted Ranged Weapon[/b] 
• Range: Base Item
• Damage: as base item and add an additional damage die, AP as Base Item
• • Notes: As Base Item
• ROF: Base Item
• Shots: Base Item
• Strength Minimum: d4 (0 lb)
Laser Pistol Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 5,000
• Rarity: +1
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Laser Pistol[/b] 
• Range: 12/24/48
• Damage: 3d6, AP 2
• • Notes: [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59300]Cauterize[/url]
• Shots: 16
Ion Pistol Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 10,000
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Ion Pistol[/b] 
• Range: 10/20/40
• Damage: 1-3d8, AP 0
• • Notes: [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59334]Wide Spread[/url]
• Shots: 10 
• Strength Minimum: d4 (4 lb)
Light Laser Rifle Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 17,000
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Light Laser Rifle[/b] 
• Range: 24/48/96
• Damage: 4d6, AP 2
• • Notes: [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59300]Cauterize[/url]
• Shots: 20
• Strength Minimum: d4 (5 lb)
Pulse Laser Rifle Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 22,000
• Rarity: -1
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Pulse Laser Rifle[/b] 
• • Notes: [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59300]Cauterize[/url], Choose one: 3RB OR [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59309]Heavy Pulse[/url]
• ROF: 3
• Shots: 60
• Strength Minimum: d6 (7 lb)
Assault Laser Rifle Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 27,000
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Assault Laser Rifle[/b] 
• • Notes: [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59300]Cauterize[/url], Integral grenade launcher (15/30/60, RoF 1, Shots 8, damage by grenade type)
• Shots: 20
• Strength Minimum: d6 (10 lb)
Plasma Rifle Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 30,000
• Rarity: -3
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Plasma Rifle[/b] 
• Damage: 3d12, AP 0
• • Notes: [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59317]MD[/url], [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59314]It Burns[/url]
• Shots: 7
• Strength Minimum: d8 (14 lb)
Particle Beam Rifle Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 50,000
• Rarity: -4
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Particle Beam Rifle[/b] 
• Range: 18/36/72
• Damage: 4d8, AP 4
• • Notes: [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59317]MD[/url], Snapfire, [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59302]Disintegration[/url], [url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4428&p=59334#p59299]Atomic Annihilation[/url]
• Shots: 8
• Strength Minimum: d8 (18 lb)
Modern Compound Bow Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 1,000
• Rarity: +2
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Modern Compound Bow[/b] 
• Range: 15/30/60
• Damage: Str+d8, AP 1
• • Notes: Two hands, see High-Tech Bows and Crossbows in EoH, p. 44 for advanced ammunition types.
• Shots: -
• Strength Minimum: d6 (5 lb)

Body Armor
Heavy EBA Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 40,000
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Heavy EBA[/b]
• +6 Armor and +3 Toughness
• Full Environmental Protection
• Built-in mini-computers for basic functions
• Communications system with a 10 mile range
• Public-address loudspeakers
• Strength Minimum: d8 (22 lb)
Medium EBA Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 30,000
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Medium EBA[/b]
• +5 Armor and +2 Toughness
• Strength Minimum: d6 (16 lb)
Light EBA Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 20,000
• Rarity: 0
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Light EBA[/b]
• +4 Armor and +1 Toughness
• Strength Minimum: d4 (10 lb)
Riot Armor Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech
• Cost: 10,000 Quite common, providing a +2 bonus on Gear Availability checks.
• Rarity: +1
Copy this for your sheet
Riot Armor
• +5 Armor
• No Environmental Protection
• Strength Minimum: d4 (8 lb)
Armored Cloak/Overcoat/Duster/Jumpsuit/Uniform Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Super-Tech, Enchanted Items
• Cost: 6,000
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Armored Cloak/Overcoat/Duster/Jumpsuit/Uniform[/b]
• +2 Armor and +1 Toughness
• This armor's protection can stack with other non-MDC body armor (but not MDC armor, they have no effect) increasing the Strength Minimum required to wear the base armor by one die type, to a minimum of d6. 
• Strength Minimum: d4 (5 lb)
Light Enchanted Armor Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Enchanted Items
• Cost: 12,000
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Light Enchanted Armor[/b]
• +4 Armor and +1 Toughness
• The suit doesn't require PPE or ISP to wear or function and can be concealed under clothing (–2 on Notice rolls to detect the armor).
• Strength Minimum: d4 (6 lbs)
Medium Enchanted Armor Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Enchanted Items
• Cost: 15,000
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Medium Enchanted Armor[/b]
• +5 Armor and +2 Toughness
• The suit doesn't require PPE or ISP to wear or function.
• Strength Minimum: d6 (12 lbs)
Heavy Enchanted Armor Approved for: Techno-Wizard, Enchanted Items
• Cost: 19,000
Copy this for your sheet

[b]Heavy Enchanted Armor[/b]
• +6 Armor and +3 Toughness
• The suit doesn't require PPE or ISP to wear or function.
• Strength Minimum: d8 (16 lbs)
Tales of the 17th SOG
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Before anyone asks, these are the changes I added and why. We can remove what we want, but we needed a place to start:

On All, I listed which type of Signature Item it was approved for. I also included my hyperlinked keywords.

Melee Weapons:
Enchanted Melee Weapon - I used the price of magical melee weapons in Blood and Banes for the generic weapons used for Enchanted.
Vibro-Weapons: I added the basic Vibro-Weapons from TLPG - the Common Weapons table only included the Vibro-Bayonet. But it definitely seemed to infer that table as basic common weapons. We can remove options if you like, but I think they have a spot.

Ranged Weapons:
I added the Light Laser Rifle entirely. It's the stats of the Assault Laser Rifle, but reduced price & weight,
For the Pulse Weapon, I gave it a choice of 3RB or Heavy Pulse. Heavy Pulse is not on the table, but it is a common option for pulse lasers. But having both is actually rare, so having a choice for your base wepaon makes a lot of sense.
Plasma Rife - I removed Snapfire. James is right, it weighs less than the NG-E4. In general it is a lesser version. I am okay with that, but adding Snapfire is a step over what's needed IMO. But if you want it back VV, it's an easy add.

Body Armor
As we discussed VV, I added Heavy EBA. I also added the Armored Cloak which could be a cloak, coat, uniform, jumpsuit, etc. Someone might make one for a Signature Item. Actually my Signature Item for Krys was a Heavy Coat.
Enchanted Armor as written is far too expensive for no gain. It acts like it has other features, but none are listed. It's price is comparable to Cyber-Knight Armor and it lacks FEP, let alone any features. I think FEP should be added or the price reduced, or both. Or simply allow Enchanted to use the Common armors (which I think is a far better option).
Tales of the 17th SOG
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Whoa, hold up. How did we get to limiting TW and Super Tech items to generic base items? That's ... super lame, invalidates lots of existing Signature Items and contradicts the normal rules, which allow any existing tech item to be TW-converted and modified. It also vastly diminishes the value of a Signature Item, because there are many weapons and armor that are better than a fully-modded generic, and which are easily accessible via Rich.

I'm fine with using Common weapons and armor for Enchanted as a compromise for the "no tech" thing, but why in God's name would TW Sig Items be neutered? And why waste time modding up a Super Tech generic when you can buy off-the-shelf that's better?
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Tribe of One wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:31 pm Whoa, hold up. How did we get to limiting TW and Super Tech items to generic base items? That's ... super lame, invalidates lots of existing Signature Items and contradicts the normal rules, which allow any existing tech item to be TW-converted and modified. It also vastly diminishes the value of a Signature Item, because there are many weapons and armor that are better than a fully-modded generic, and which are easily accessible via Rich.

I'm fine with using Common weapons and armor for Enchanted as a compromise for the "no tech" thing, but why in God's name would TW Sig Items be neutered? And why waste time modding up a Super Tech generic when you can buy off-the-shelf that's better?
Honestly, I'm also wondering why the x2 is being applied to repair costs for TW sig items. As I mentioned in the Hangout, there's a reason that TW is dominant in the setting. Why not just set it as TW Sig Items use Heroic creation rules and be done with it?
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

First - it's a suggestion for VV to use, modify, or ignore as he sees fit. Nothing more or less. He and I discussed it in chat today, and I told him I would present the option. Until the bossman updates the OP with it, nothing is set in stone.

The cost thing came from Rob, you'll have to ask him.

Why is it unbalanced for Enchanted to be based off any tech item, but it's not for TW? TW already has more mods by the default rules. And if Supertech, which is simply a retrapping of Enchanting, is okay based on existing tech items, then so is Enchanting.

The Common Gear templates are a compromise that simply illustrate a way to unify the base stats and eliminate edge cases. Why use heavy body armor when you could use the already enhanced exoskeleton body armor and get a "free" boost to strength out of the deal. It's one thing if you're making light power armor, but how many folks straight up used it as a cheap way of boosting their strength? Same deal for using top of the line plasma weapons or JA-9s, JA-10s, and JA-11s over an L-20 or C-12. Given a chance you will always use a superior weapon or armor.

VV has said multiple times no matter what existing items will be grandfathered in.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Yeah, no -- it's already in the OP, and the only "discussion" I see about it in chat is one post from you suggesting it at 10:20 pm Monday. Unless the two of you are having private chats to circumvent the House Rules Hangout, which is not cool, either.

It's okay for Enchanted to use the generics because by RAW they don't even get that. There's no reason to nerf other Signature Items just because you don't like the way Roberson chose to balance Enchanted.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Any thought to just use the same rules for super tech and enchant? Just tinker with minor and major item creation mods to allow any background regardless of PPE or ISP, or generaic ppts. I think this was how the item mod edges were set up in one of the earlier versions of arcana and mystism.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Freemage wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:02 pm
Tribe of One wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:31 pm Whoa, hold up. How did we get to limiting TW and Super Tech items to generic base items? That's ... super lame, invalidates lots of existing Signature Items and contradicts the normal rules, which allow any existing tech item to be TW-converted and modified. It also vastly diminishes the value of a Signature Item, because there are many weapons and armor that are better than a fully-modded generic, and which are easily accessible via Rich.

Honestly, I'm also wondering why the x2 is being applied to repair costs for TW sig items. As I mentioned in the Hangout, there's a reason that TW is dominant in the setting. Why not just set it as TW Sig Items use Heroic creation rules and be done with it?
I don't have a problem with using the x2, because the assumption is that you didn't craft the Sig Item yourself, so Repair is based on market price just like it would be with any other item.
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

For the record, since the whole Signature Item scheme appears to have been rewritten since roughly 4 p.m. CST yesterday, I strongly disagree with the "Common" item approach for anything but Enchanted.

The TW rules expressly allow you to convert and improve existing items, and forcing the use of generic base items would put Signature Items at a distinct disadvantage compared to off-the-shelf or low-tier TW items players can buy or convert. Concerns about using top-tier weapons and armor are overblown, especially in light of the changes made to thinks like the Maverick armor in SR2.0 -- it's got Min Str d12 now when unpowered, meaning you'll have pump PPE into at all times just to be able to move, for example.

Limiting Super-Tech to generic base items doesn't make any sense, either. Isn't it supposed to be an improvement over the current tech level? Starting with a Common item, you'd be spending most of your mods just to get back up to parity with the better weapons, which are trivially easy to acquire.

At this point, I don't particularly care what happens with Enchanted -- leave it RAW and have Enchanted weapons and armor be inferior (as apparently intended) while rings and amulets, etc. have a leg up on TW due to the lack of activation cost. Or if RAW seems too punitive, go with the scheme VV originally posted (medieval weapon +1 die) or let them use the Common weapon profiles. Any or all are boosts compared to the Edges as written. But I see absolutely no justification for nerfing other Signature Items because the Enchanted fans are sore.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I would say we could have some cool enchanted mods. Like for Major I would say + a die in damage would be appropriate. I would also think that powers activated don’t even need a skill roll. You just spend ppts. Using the four magic items for a basis of my thoughts. That might help them keep up as it were.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:07 am I would say we could have some cool enchanted mods. Like for Major I would say + a die in damage would be appropriate. I would also think that powers activated don’t even need a skill roll. You just spend ppts. Using the four magic items for a basis of my thoughts. That might help them keep up as it were.
I think all of the existing Magic Items we know about require a skill roll to activate powers, except for the BFB's Toughness boost. Draining Blade activates on a successful hit (Fighting roll, per the TW rule), Deathbringer's powers require a Fighting or Shooting roll. Not sure what else you're looking at.
Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

Using the common items all around seems a smarter course than sticking with the old way. I does lower the bar a bit but not by a lot. Individual GM's should be able to allow a boost in individual games but setting a least common denominator should be helpful to those GM's who might not want MOAR POWAH in weapons and armor.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Tribe of One wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:24 am
Pender Lumkiss wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:07 am I would say we could have some cool enchanted mods. Like for Major I would say + a die in damage would be appropriate. I would also think that powers activated don’t even need a skill roll. You just spend ppts. Using the four magic items for a basis of my thoughts. That might help them keep up as it were.
I think all of the existing Magic Items we know about require a skill roll to activate powers, except for the BFB's Toughness boost. Draining Blade activates on a successful hit (Fighting roll, per the TW rule), Deathbringer's powers require a Fighting or Shooting roll. Not sure what else you're looking at.
Yeah for sure that is exactly what I mean. Just use the BFB model for powers not activated by a skill roll.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Dorn Forgehammer wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:50 am Using the common items all around seems a smarter course than sticking with the old way. I does lower the bar a bit but not by a lot. Individual GM's should be able to allow a boost in individual games but setting a least common denominator should be helpful to those GM's who might not want MOAR POWAH in weapons and armor.
It contradicts the core TW conversion rules. If a GM isn't comfortable with those, then they're going to be making a lot changes. I don't think we need to tailor the site-wide Sig Item rules to that level of power reduction.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

If I am understanding this sig item deal. What is being proposed is restricting the items that can be made for a sig item, but items built using normal rules outside the free item gifted for patronage follow normal rules.

I do not mind necessarily restricting it because there are some higher tier items that a character could not get for free, all of a sudden they not only get it but they stignatize it. But maybe a middle ground. Have the list for right out of the gate you want a sig item but have no other gear. But also allow characters to signature items they start with or come across through game play.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

Tribe of One wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:16 am
Dorn Forgehammer wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:50 am Using the common items all around seems a smarter course than sticking with the old way. I does lower the bar a bit but not by a lot. Individual GM's should be able to allow a boost in individual games but setting a least common denominator should be helpful to those GM's who might not want MOAR POWAH in weapons and armor.
It contradicts the core TW conversion rules. If a GM isn't comfortable with those, then they're going to be making a lot changes. I don't think we need to tailor the site-wide Sig Item rules to that level of power reduction.
My understanding is that TW conversion has always been under the GM's review sig item or not. A plasma rifle can be TW converted. That doesn't necessarily mean the GM allows Norther Gun Plasma Rifles or Naruni Plasma Rifles to be TW converted though he could if that worked for that table.
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

A GM can always choose not to follow the rules, sure. But the assumption should be that the core rules will be followed, and the core rules say you can convert and modify anything you put your hands on. Per the rules, GMs just come in when determining the appropriateness of the upgrades.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Just catching up. Sorry I changed the OP early, just wanted to see what it looked like. Everything is still up for discussion, as the OP always is until we're finished.

To help I rolled back the OP.

VV
Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Wow, lots of posts I did not read all of them. So if this was answered forgive me.

But...
I thought we established Signature Items could be any gear the character rightfully had access too?
(Asking because Ndreare got a super computer for a signature item.)

please pm me if this changes. With stuff at work this is my first break since 4 this morning.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Maybe add a preamble

Item Creation
Below are the generally accepted Item Creation rules for SavageRifts.com. They are intended to fill in some of the gaps from item creation in the various books and add our own unique stamp to the game. These rules also give a consistent framework for Signature Items that can be purchased with Explorer Points (EP). Creativity is encouraged; unique and well-developed item ideas may be given additional leeway when it comes to mechanics. Some games may have higher or lower power levels that alter these rules and GMs should include deviations in their table rules.
Signature
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Language looks good.

Per Rob's point (which is a good one): As of the now-archived polls conducted in April, a majority of GMs voted that:
  • Any personal item (weapon, armor or gear) other than pre-existing TW/Enchanted gear was fair game as the base item for a Signature Item
  • Vehicles, Power Armor and Robots could be Signature Items only if you acquired them via your IF or the Rich Edge taken during character creation/from HJ or F&G.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Enchanted Armor costs a fortune (120,000 for +4A, +1 T, and no other features at all; literally no other features), can we use Common Armor for Enchanted Items? Especially with the extrapolated Heavy Armor?
Tales of the 17th SOG
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I think so.
That armor should be 12,000
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Tribe of One wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:07 pm Language looks good.

Per Rob's point (which is a good one): As of the now-archived polls conducted in April, a majority of GMs voted that:
  • Any personal item (weapon, armor or gear) other than pre-existing TW/Enchanted gear was fair game as the base item for a Signature Item
  • Vehicles, Power Armor and Robots could be Signature Items only if you acquired them via your IF or the Rich Edge taken during character creation/from HJ or F&G.
Wow, when did we get so liberal? Seems we spent most of our time limiting power in the last battle didn't we?

For enchanted armor I assume the lists prices are a typo. Knock off a zero.

VV
Signature

Return to “Archived Discussions”