Lightning Crystal for Goswin Aigner

A place for feedback on created items for in game use.
Goswin Aigner

Lightning Crystal for Goswin Aigner

Post by Goswin Aigner »

This Signature Item was orginally meant to be a trinket of some sort that boosted persuasion when communicating with elementals while also providing a lesser version of the Necromancer's Phylactery mechanic (store Element and/or Elemental power for later use). Then the GM said it was OK to convert a weapon to magic-equivalent. After I picked my weapon, I thought it would be cool to have a "bayonet" style effect to go with the weapon so that it could function as an actual staff instead of a two handed wand.

This item is what the "bayonet" would be attached to (and also a picture of the staff - the Lightning Crystal would be the blue gem):
Heart of the Storm (Beam Rifle)
The Heart of the Storm was grown by Goswin from a sapling he planted to help himself connect to the earth. As his connection to the earth grew stronger and he developed an affinity for Lightning, Goswin decided to call upon the elements and ask them for their blessing.

While touching the young tree, Goswin reached out to the air and to the earth, asking them to bless the sapling with their strength so that he might protect himself and the elements. A storm formed during the ritual and lightning repeatedly struck the little tree.

As the storm dispersed, Goswin could see that all that was left of the sapling was a gnarled staff with a shimmering gem set into the top. Whenever Goswin finds himself in danger, he can call upon the heart to unleash the fury of the storm upon his enemies.
4C9224F0-DD5E-4EB6-A4C3-F4FA55A15204.png
4C9224F0-DD5E-4EB6-A4C3-F4FA55A15204.png (38.87 KiB) Viewed 4081 times
• Range: 18/36/72
• Dmg: 4d8+1, AP: 10
• ROF: 1
• Shots: 8/8
• Weight: 17 lbs. (Min Str: d8)
• Notes: Atomic Annihilation, Disintegration, No Recoil, Snapfire; The Shots listed represent how many times this weapon can be fired before the wielder has to spend an action pumping Power Points into the weapon to “refill” it; costs two PP unless noted otherwise.
• Rarity: -4 R; Cost: 22,000

Signature Item

Lightning Crystal
Set in the head of the staff Heart of the Storm, this crystal is a gem of frozen lightning. It can store elemental energies later use, but in a pinch it can also be used to deliver a shock to anyone getting a little close to Goswin.
  • • Dmg: Str+2d4, AP: 2
    • Weight: 1 lbs. (Min Str: d4)
    • PP: 20/20
    • Notes: +1 Parry. This crystal may be recharged with PP at places of elemental power (Air, Earth, Lightning) or by siphoning PP from willing elementals.
    • Cost: 140,025
Build
Base Item: SWADE Dagger (as a magical bayonet)
Free: +1 die type of damage
Free: Lightning Trapping
Minor: Other - Stores PP instead of PPE (Cost: 5k x 2 = 10k)
Minor: +2 AP (Cost: 5k x 2 = 10k)
Major: Other - Stores 10 PP to be used for activating the character's Powers.+ (Cost: 30000 x 2 = 60000)
Major: Other - Stores 10 PP to be used for activating the character's Powers.+ (Cost: 30000 x 2 = 60000)
+This device may be recharged with PP at places of elemental power (Air, Earth, Lightning) or by siphoning PP from willing elementals.

Old Version
Lightning Crystal
Set in the head of the staff Heart of the Storm, this crystal is a gem of frozen lightning. It can store elemental energies later use, but in a pinch it can also be used to deliver a shock to anyone getting a little close to Goswin.
    • PP: 10/10
    • Notes: +1 Parry. This crystal may be recharged with PP at places of elemental power (Air, Earth, Lightning) or by siphoning PP from willing elementals.
    • Cost: 25
Build
Minor: +1 Parry (Cost: 5k x 2 = 10k)
Major: Other - Stores 5 PP to be used for activating the character's Powers.+ (Cost: ? x 2 = ?)
Major: Other - Stores 5 PP to be used for activating the character's Powers.+ (Cost: ? x 2 = ?)
+This device may be recharged with PP at places of elemental power (Air, Earth, Lightning) or by siphoning PP from willing elementals.
Goswin Aigner, Elemental Fusionist
Goswin, Elemental Fusionist
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6; Toughness: 15(7)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • All Thumbs: –2 to use mechanical or electrical devices.
  • Elan: +2 when spending a Benny to reroll a Trait roll.
  • Elemental Brotherhood: See/converse with all elemental entities (including spirits of dark/light). Such beings see Goswin as a brother and will offer/request aid if needed.
  • Fusion Synergy: Powers activated using the fusion Trapping gain a free reroll on all related Trait checks. They also gain a +2 Toughness bonus to barrier, entangle, and protection.
  • Life Sign Harmony: Environmental protection makes him immune to all negative effects or damage from his life sign, and elemental manipulation Trait checks are made at +4 when using his life sign's Trappings.
  • Marksman: Ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed; or add +1 to first Athletics (throwing) or Shooting roll. Character may not move or fire greater than RoF 1.
  • Primordial Bond: While in nature, Fusionists have Danger Sense.
    • Danger Sense: Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Strong Willed: +2 to resist Smarts or Spirit-based Tests.
  • Variable Trappings: When activating powers, may choose between Air, Earth and Lightning Fusion trappings.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 0/30; PP: 20/20
Bennies: 4/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature
Goswin Aigner

Re: Lightning Crystal for Goswin Aigner

Post by Goswin Aigner »

Note: The Staff is a completely separate item from the Lightning Crystal. I don't expect any signature item protection from the Lightning Crystal to affect the staff. The goal isn't to pull any kind of shenanigans here. I want to take two completely separate items - which only interact with one another mechanically like the TLPG HJ/EoH gear bayonets - and create one complete item with two separate parts.

I have a two handed wand that shoots lightning and I have a Lightning Crystal which can shock things and store energy. When they combine, I have a cool Goa'uld staff straight out of Stargate SG-1. The "bayonet" allows the weapon that looks like a staff to also quack like a staff, so therefore it must actually be a staff! That just happens to shoot lightning 8-) .
  • Elemental Brotherhood: See/converse with all elemental entities (including spirits of dark/light). Such beings see Goswin as a brother and will offer/request aid if needed.
  • Fusion Synergy: Powers activated using the fusion Trapping gain a free reroll on all related Trait checks. They also gain a +2 Toughness bonus to barrier, entangle, and protection.
  • Life Sign Harmony: Environmental protection makes him immune to all negative effects or damage from his life sign, and elemental manipulation Trait checks are made at +4 when using his life sign's Trappings.
  • Marksman: Ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed; or add +1 to first Athletics (throwing) or Shooting roll. Character may not move or fire greater than RoF 1.
  • Variable Trappings: When activating powers, may choose between Air, Earth and Lightning Fusion trappings.
Edit Signature
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

The wand, at least, should experience the "enchanted equivalent of tech gear" price mark-up of 50% (so, giving it a final value of 33K). Also, how did you acquire the wand? Taking the weapon as part of your starting gear?
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Goswin Aigner

Post by Goswin Aigner »

Hmm. Ill have to reread that sidebar in A&M, @Freemage. I haven't actually read it recently so I did not know there was a steep uptick in price.

I paid the base cost from the book to have a magic equivalent of a P-Beam Rifle using my Rich funds and selling some starting gear. However, if there's a 50% markup it still shouldn't be an issue. I can drop the two HJ rolls I upgraded the rifle with and take one item of choice instead. I would only lose +1 damage and +2 AP.
Edit Signature
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Looks okay to me. I like that it charges according to your EF's rules instead of at ley lines. That is a good story flourish.

I would note that it appears as though you could use the Major upgrade slots for 10 PPE each instead of 5. I'll post a question in the OA forum to clarify.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Goswin Aigner

Post by Goswin Aigner »

@Pursuit I wasn’t sure how mama batteries worked, so I used 5 PP from minor and boosted it to work as a PP battery as a major, all as one “Other” major mod.

But if that doesn’t work, I’ll think up something else :) .
Edit Signature
Goswin Aigner

Post by Goswin Aigner »

The latest revision. @Pursuit said that as a "bayonet," it would have a point of parry without a modifier. The minor other mod was his suggestion to convert the PPE battery mechanics into an EF PP Battery.

Lightning Crystal
    • PP: 20/20
    • Cost: 140,025

Build
Minor: Other - Stores PP instead of PPE (Cost: 5k x 2 = 10k)
+This device may be recharged with PP at places of elemental power (Air, Earth, Lightning) or by siphoning PP from willing elementals.[/ooc]
Edit Signature

Return to “Item Creation”