No Man’s Land

Jeff Milton

Re: No Man’s Land

Post by Jeff Milton »

"Maybe both. Send rider to try and get a posse, while the rest of the trail them and look for opportunity" Jeff suggests
Archibald Ellsworth

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

"I'm inclined to agree with Mr Milton." Agreed Archibald. "Send our best rider and fastest horse, though perchance a town larger and better than Dog Leg."

"Do not fret Abigail, we'll do everything in our power to save your uncle and the others." Archibald said, turning to Abby and giving her a smile. "This I vow to you and stake my honour upon."

"Best not to tally, there is no time like the present."
Main Account: stormwell
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Dog’s Leg/Sheriff’s office
Afternoon
Round 0

Hope looked grimly at the remaining cowhands and Abigail. “Should be easy to track,” she said. “Big herd. They’ll be just as spread out and vulnerable as we were,” she noted, “wrangling all those cattle. By all means, get the posse. Is there a larger town around not under Gault’s thumb? But we might be able to pick them off if we’re careful,” she noted. “If we can get a bead on Gault himself, we could take him out.”
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
1 bow
10 arrows
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: None
Powers:
  • Novice (-2): Aim, Armor, Beast Friend, Boost/Lower Trait, Deflection, Elemental Manipulation, Environmental Protection, Healing, Holy Warrior, Inspiration, Light, Protection, Sanctify, Smite, Speak Language, Stun, Succor, Windstorm
  • Seasoned (-4): Barrier, Dispel, Gambler, Quickness
  • Veteran (-6): Exorcism, Greater Healing
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice at –2 to detect surprise attacks/danger.
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
Character Tracker
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

"Aye, I can find them," John concurred, "tracking a herd isn't difficult, but we do not have the numbers for a headlong attack." John blows a few notes on his harmonica as he thinks.

"Right now, our best bet is to sneak in, disable the guards, stampede their horses and steal the cattle back, whilst they cannot pursue."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
The_Marshall

Post by The_Marshall »

Luke chimes in again "We are a couple days ride to the town of Expedition. The herd has about a day and a half on us anyway. I am pretty sure they will pass by there. I think the least we can do is try to gather reinforcements there. The thirty plus of them I reckon will be guarding that herd better than our number."
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Outside Dog’s Leg
Afternoon
Round 0

“Thirty of them. That is a lot. Expedition may be our best bet then,” Hope said. “With just us, we can certainly get there ahead of the herd, maybe gather a posse, and cut them off. Anyone know the ground around Expedition? Someplace we could ambush them?”
Party loot
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
1 bow
10 arrows
Character Tracker
Powers:
  • Novice (-2): Aim, Armor, Beast Friend, Boost/Lower Trait, Deflection, Elemental Manipulation, Environmental Protection, Healing, Holy Warrior, Inspiration, Light, Protection, Sanctify, Smite, Speak Language, Stun, Succor, Windstorm
Edges
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
Archibald Ellsworth

"I concur." Agreed Archibald. "From my experience with the Zulus in Africa, its always better to be able to at least match your foe in numbers."

"I suggest we all head for Expedition then with some of us riding on ahead, if anything to check whether its a safe refuge and to sort out urgent supplies if needed before the others arrive."
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

John wheels his horse around.

"I'll take point," John insists, checking the ammo load on his pistol.

"Sooner we leave, sooner we can get the herd back."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

The_Marshall

Post by The_Marshall »

Two days later, the crew rides into the town of Exposition (Fear Level 3). Exposition is built at the end of a rail spur and also has a telegraph office. As the cowboys enter town, the citizens look on nervously. A small boy darts into a saloon near the train station. Moments later, a large band of armed men and women emerge with the business end of their firearms pointed in the posse’s general direction.
A cold-eyed woman at the front of the group shouts,
"That’s far enough, Gault! Drop your weapons and get your hands up!"

What do you do?
Archibald Ellsworth

"I say, steady on chaps....and ladies." Archibald calls out, making no move to dismount from his horse or raise his hands. "Some of our fellows have been captured by brigands and we've come seeking aid."

"There is no need for violence, we're all civilised people here aren't we?" Continued Archibald. "Who is in charge here?"
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Exposition
Afternoon
Round 0

Devil Eyes snorted, and Hope rested her hand on his neck to calm him. She kept her hands well away from her guns as she looked at the party of people that were pointing guns at them.

“Easy,” Hope said. “We aren’t with Gault. He’s the reason we’re here. He and about thirty of his men stole our herd. We aim to get it back, but we need some help. We thought we might be able to round out our posse with folks from here. Seems he’s got you all riled up. If you ain’t friends of his, maybe you’ll consider being friends of ours and finally getting one up on this polecat.”
Persuasion 8
Persuasion [dice:1gv1ujec]61404:0[/dice:1gv1ujec]
Wild [dice:1gv1ujec]61404:1[/dice:1gv1ujec]
Party loot
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
1 bow
10 arrows
Character Tracker
Powers:
Edges
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

notice [dice:1sgdbjnk]61446:0[/dice:1sgdbjnk]
[dice:1sgdbjnk]61446:1[/dice:1sgdbjnk]

John stayed back, keeping an eye on the crowd in case any of them tried anything.

Let the others talk.
OOC Comments

Lame

The_Marshall

Post by The_Marshall »

None of the men made much move. Hope was more than persuasive and a bit charming in talking down the group of people. After realizing you are not Gault, or in league with him, they seemed to be put a bit at ease.

The leader of the enforcers, a battle-hardened veteran introduces herself as Constance Merit. She tells the posse that when the locals saw a large number of armed men riding into town, they just assumed the remnants of your crew were Gault and his gang. When it becomes clear the trail hands have had a recent run-in with the raider John notices her ears perk up as she begins to speak "I am under strict orders to protect this here railhead in Exposition, whether from bandits, raiders, or other rail gangs. However, I'm also keenly aware that cleaning up the Gault gang would help the railroad. I have a good-sized contingent of enforcers both in town and patrolling the spur, so I figures I can spare a few to get the border raiders out of my hair. Lucky for you I can send some support. I cannot send them for free, however I can send 20 enforcers with you to take down Gault’s gang, all for the low price of 50 head of cattle."
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Exposition
Afternoon
Round 0

“We thank you for your offer of help,” Hope told Constance. “It is much appreciated. Though fifty head is a might steep, isn’t it?” she asked. “Getting rid of a feared raider? Perhaps we can come to a more equitable payment,” she said, offering to negotiate.
Persuasion 8
Persuasion [dice:sccn375c]62209:0[/dice:sccn375c]
Wild [dice:sccn375c]62209:1[/dice:sccn375c]
Party loot
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
1 bow
10 arrows
Character Tracker
Powers:
Edges
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
Archibald Ellsworth

"Captain Archibald Ellsworth, late of Her Majesty's Royal Engineers." Archibald replied, doffing his pith helmet. "At your service."

"Any help you can spare would be most appreciated in this matter, I'm shall we can come to an agreement on price." He continued. "Though pray tell, what rail company do you represent?"
Jeff Milton

Post by Jeff Milton »

Jeff keeps quiet, not making any sudden moves. The others seem to have things in line. He spares a glance for their welcoming party, then takes a look at the buildings around town.
OOC Comments
Notice
[dice:1p2ic4wr]62216:0[/dice:1p2ic4wr]
[dice:1p2ic4wr]62216:1[/dice:1p2ic4wr]
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

Notice
[dice:1dgqg6hx]62231:0[/dice:1dgqg6hx]
[dice:1dgqg6hx]62231:1[/dice:1dgqg6hx]

Upon hearing the reference to a rail line, John perks up a little bit and looks around for a sign of which company and if he recognises any of the guards, for good or ill.
OOC Comments

Lame

The_Marshall

Post by The_Marshall »

Looking around John notice's signs of the Black River. Also of note is a wanted poster of $1000 for Gault. Hope manages to talk Constance down to 10 head of cattle for the enforcers. Gathering up the enforcers takes up most of the afternoon. Allowing everyone to get acquainted and rest up for the morning.

In the morning finding Gault’s gang isn’t particularly difficult. After all, a few thousand cows do tend to leave a trail! The wide swath of hoof prints and cow pies leads about a day’s ride east of where the raiders attacked the drive. The raiders corralled the cattle in a box canyon, blocking one end with a simple rope fence. Gault and his men set up camp near the entrance to the canyon. There is a guard atop each bluff near the canyon mouth. Even a cursory look at the outlaw camp reveals the posse and their new allies are badly outnumbered by the border raiders. There are dozens of outlaws milling about the camp, all armed to the teeth.
OOC Comments
Cursory scouting reveals that the men captured are still alive. They currently look to be unarmed and on the opposite side of the camp. The cattle are inside the rope corral. I need you guys to tell me how you and the group of enforcers would like to approach the situation. Once we have that determined we can address the battle to come. Please let me know if you have any questions in the handouts.
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Exposition
Afternoon
Round 0

Hope studied the rough map of the outlaw camp someone sketched out in dirt. “We should maybe try and take out those two guards first,” she said. “So they don’t alert the camp, or start sniping us from up there. Anyone think they can do it quietly?”
Party loot
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
1 bow
10 arrows
Character Tracker
Powers:
Edges
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
Archibald Ellsworth

"I'd agree eliminating the two guards keeping watch." Stated Archibald. "Though it wouldn't hurt evening the odds somewhat."

"I suggest waiting until nightfall, the cover of darkness would aid us and perhaps even their guard would be down. Probably best sticking to blade work, or perhaps other methods that are quiet." Archibald said, forming a plan in his head. "The element of surprise will be our greatest ally here, if all goes well and God willing we'll be in amongst them before they even realise that they are under attack."
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

John swears inwardly as he recognises them as Black River; least if Gault's men were Bayou, then setting them against each other would weaken both groups, but he would have preferred to have Union Blue troops at his side.

As they see Gault's position

"Only having two guards on the heights is an error. If we can get a few shooters up there on both sides, it is a lot easier to pick them off. However in the dark, once the fighting starts, being able to differentiate between the sides is going to be difficult."

He draws his Bowie knife and pushes his hat up with it; this was not his first time on a raid, both in War and the Rail Wars.

"Close up and hand over mouths. Do not give them a chance to react."
OOC Comments

Lame

The_Marshall

Post by The_Marshall »

One of the enforcer's steps up to Archibald, "Sir I reckon we might be able to use them cattle as at minimum a distraction. Stampedes aint no joke!"
Archibald Ellsworth

The_Marshall wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:35 am One of the enforcer's steps up to Archibald, "Sir I reckon we might be able to use them cattle as at minimum a distraction. Stampedes aint no joke!"
Archibald thinks over the suggestion for a moment before replying. "I'll admit that it could allow us to get closer without being noticed and would perhaps tie up some of the bandits."

"Though what concerns me is that some of our people are being held captive, a stampede could put them in harm's way." Continued Archibald. "That's not to mention the potential harm to Mr Sutter's cattle that the brigands stole."

"Damned if we do, damned if we don't." Archibald muttered. "Mr Baxter...would you say we have a plan of action? Eliminate the scouts, use stampede as a distraction and then an assault force goes in?"
The_Marshall

Post by The_Marshall »

Preparation for battle
As there is 2 guards on high it is relatively easy for you guys to split up and each take one.
Each person taking out a guard needs a stealth roll and then a fighting roll.
The person climbing down to cut the ropes and cause a stampede will only need an athletics. The ravine is relatively easy to climb but darkness will impose a -2 penalty.

Let me know how you each take out your guard and how you start the stampede.

Once we get these rolls I can work on the mass battle post.
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

John draws his knife and makes his way up the cliff. When he gets close, he places a hand over the mouth of the guard and strikes.

stealth [dice:6cuzejbk]64669:0[/dice:6cuzejbk]
wild dice [dice:6cuzejbk]64669:4[/dice:6cuzejbk] [dice:6cuzejbk]64669:1[/dice:6cuzejbk]

fighting [dice:6cuzejbk]64669:2[/dice:6cuzejbk] [dice:6cuzejbk]64669:5[/dice:6cuzejbk]
wild dice [dice:6cuzejbk]64669:3[/dice:6cuzejbk]
OOC Comments

Lame

Archibald Ellsworth

Rolls
Stealth [dice:1mo5fuvd]65019:0[/dice:1mo5fuvd]
Wild [dice:1mo5fuvd]65019:1[/dice:1mo5fuvd]

Stealth Explodes [dice:1mo5fuvd]65019:2[/dice:1mo5fuvd]
Wild Explodes [dice:1mo5fuvd]65019:3[/dice:1mo5fuvd]

Fighting [dice:1mo5fuvd]65019:4[/dice:1mo5fuvd]
Wild [dice:1mo5fuvd]65019:5[/dice:1mo5fuvd]

Fighting Explodes [dice:1mo5fuvd]65019:6[/dice:1mo5fuvd]
Whilst John dealt with one of the sentries, Archibald attempted to deal with the other. Though he'd served as an engineer as opposed to a skirmisher, so he anxiously fretted about the possibility of being spotted as he crept up on the bandit guard. His luck seemed to be with him as he crept ever closer, though the guard unexpectedly started to turn round. Thinking quickly, the British officer struck quickly and struck hard with his sabre. Thankfully, it appeared that he'd made a clean blow as the bandit went down.
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Boost Athletics 5; 1 boost
-2 Novice
Faith [dice:2hrk6rop]65236:0[/dice:2hrk6rop]
Wild [dice:2hrk6rop]65236:1[/dice:2hrk6rop]
Athletics 9
-2 darkness
Athletics [dice:2hrk6rop]65236:2[/dice:2hrk6rop]
Wild [dice:2hrk6rop]65236:3[/dice:2hrk6rop]
Ace [dice:2hrk6rop]65236:4[/dice:2hrk6rop]
Box canyon
Night
Round 0

With the two sentries hopefully taken out, Hope took a breath. “I will try and cut the rope,” she told the others. She sent up a prayer and then started down the rope toward where the cattle were penned. She easily walked down the cliff face and pulled her knife, cutting the rope penning in the cattle.
Party loot
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
1 bow
10 arrows
Character Tracker
Bennies: 3W
Powers:
Edges
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

Both sentries are taken care of in short order by John and Archibald whilst Hope manages to sneak unnoticed and cut the rope for the cattle. Your allies from Exposition, what townsfolk you've managed to rope into a posse and the Black River Enforcers, move into position ready to launch the attack against Gault and his bandits.

To Players

You get a surprise round against the raiders, either open fire or try and sneak into the camp. Though when the lead starts flyin', the cattle start stampedin'.

Once everyone has posted, I'll roll for initiative and we'll resolve combat as normal.

Due it being nighttime, but with a decent amount of moonlight and the camp fire, attack rolls have a -1 penalty.
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Boost Shooting 4
-2 Novice
Faith 1d10: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6: [3] = 3
Benny to reroll
Faith 1d10: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6: [2] = 2
Box canyon
Night
Round 0
Conditions: Attacks -1 due to night

With the cattle set to be free, Hope climbed back up the rope to the bluff where the others waited. She grabbed her Winchester rifle and said a short prayer to make her shoot straight.
Party loot
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
1 bow
10 arrows

Boost: Shooting d10
Character Tracker
Bennies: 2W
Powers:
Edges
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
Mercy
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Mercy »

Constance watched the man dress. The scars across his back were definitely old. Someone had lashed him something fierce. As he pulled on the white shirt and turned to face her she smiled.

“You could stay.” She softly said as he buckled on his belt with two pistols.

His dark eyes looked up at her and he held her gaze a moment before turning away to grab his big sombrero and mashing it down on his head.

She was about to say more but he finally spoke.

“Madam Merit that sounds like a fine idea however I ain’t so good at settling down. You ask me every time. Listen Connie May I promise any time I’m happening by I’ll check in on ya. I always do. But I can’t stay. I will however do as you requested and tag along with the Posse you’re sending out. Gault is a low down dirty snake and I’d be honored to throw some lead at him an his boys.”

Turning to the door Sergio stopped half way out. “Thank you for asking. Be safe Connie.”

———

The gunslinger rode quietly along with the Posse to the canyon where Gault’s gang had the stolen cattle. Under his big sombrero he’d listened to the orders given, nodded and set to task.

At the east edge of the outlaw camp, Sergio dropped from hunched over to a crawl and made his way closer. As close as he dares get he moves into a kneeling position. Gritting his teeth he pushes the pain radiating in his right leg from his mind. Quietly the gunman watches the outlaws.

Damn. There’s a bunch of these yahoo’s. Where is that snake Gault?

Once he hears the leaders of the Posse open fire he will commence shooting.

Raising a nine shot LeMat pistol in each hand he opens fire on the outlaws.

———

Damage 2d6!!: [3, 2] = 5 Damage 2d6!!: [5, 4] = 9
First shot 5
Second shot 9

Two Gun Kid & Ambidextrous...
Shooting Right pistol, d10, plus 4 the Drop, minus 1 night, minus 1 distance.
Shooting Left pistol, d10, plus 4 the Drop, minus 1 night, minus 1 distance.

Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5 Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5 1d10+2: [5]+2 = 7 1d10+2: [8]+2 = 10

Shooting 7 to hit
Shooting 10 to hit
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

From his position on the western side of the canyon, John takes up a lying down sharpshooter position behind any cover he can find.
He takes aim at the nearest bandit to the captives, ready to start shooting.

When the shooting starts, they are going to be defenseless. DO what I can to keep them alive and if possible, rescue them to aid in the fight.

Action -aim
OOC Comments
Other than the way he came up, is there a way down into the camp, other than jumping?
OOC Comments

Lame

stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

Whole Lotta Rolling
Rolls for Stampede

Gault Agility 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Damage 2d6!!+2: [8!!, 8!!]+2 = 18 - 2 Wounds!
Soak 1d10!!: [4] = 4 (-2 penalty, no Wounds Soaked)
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Henchman 1 1d8!!-2: [4]-2 = 2 Damage 2d6!!+2: [2, 3]+2 = 7 - Shaken
Henchman 2 1d8!!-2: [2]-2 = 0 Damage 4d6!!+4: [10!!, 4, 4, 1]+4 = 23 - Dead
Henchman 3 1d8!!-2: [6]-2 = 4
Henchman 4 1d8!!-2: [4]-2 = 2 Damage 2d6!!+2: [5, 4]+2 = 11 - Dead
Henchman 5 1d8!!-2: [12!!]-2 = 10

Raider Group 1 1d8!!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Raider Group 2 1d8!!-2: [3]-2 = 1 Damage 4d6!!+4: [2, 5, 4, 3]+4 = 18
Raider Group 3 1d8!!-2: [3]-2 = 1 Damage 4d6!!+2: [3, 5, 4, 3]+2 = 17
Raider Group 4 1d8!!-2: [5]-2 = 3 Damage 2d6!!+2: [3, 5]+2 = 10
Raider Group 5 1d8!!-2: [2]-2 = 0 Damage 4d6!!+4: [1, 10!!, 3, 10!!]+4 = 28
Raider Group 6 1d8!!-2: [5]-2 = 3 Damage 2d6!!+2: [4, 3]+2 = 9
Raider Group 7 1d8!!-2: [4]-2 = 2 Damage 2d6!!+2: [5, 2]+2 = 9
Raider Group 8 1d8!!-2: [4]-2 = 2 Damage 2d6!!+2: [7!!, 4]+2 = 13

Serigo Shooting 1d6: [4] = 4 (1-2 Henchman, 3-6 Raider)

Archibald Shooting 1d6!!-3: [4]-3 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-3: [3]-3 = 0

Jeff Shooting 1d8!!-1: [4]-1 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-1: [1]-1 = 0

BR Enforcers 1 1d8!!-1: [4]-1 = 3
BR Enforcers 2 1d8!!-1: [2]-1 = 1
BR Enforcers 3 1d8!!-1: [2]-1 = 1
BR Enforcers 4 1d8!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
BR Enforcers 5 1d8!!-1: [5]-1 = 4 Damage 2d8!!: [6, 3] = 9 1d6: [3] = 3

Townsfolk 1 1d4!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Townsfolk 2 1d4!!-1: [2]-1 = 1

22 Raiders left out of 40.
The still of the night air was broken by the crack of gunfire, a volley of lead unleashed upon the unsuspecting bandits milling round their camp. Though this initial volley appeared to have little effect, but the thunder of the guns was enough to make the herd take to flight. The cattle bayed as they started to stampede, trampling through the bandits and their camp. A good half of the outlaws' number fell beneath the thundering hooves, never to arise again as their comrades tried desperately to dodge the onslaught of bovine flesh. Gault himself is briefly seen, taking a bovine's horn to the gut as the beast catches him.

Initiative

Archibald 1d54: [4] = 4 New Card 1d54: [37] = 37 Queen Clubs
GM 1d54: [17] = 17 5 Hearts
Hope 1d54: [27] = 27 2 Clubs
Jeff Milton 1d54: [30] = 30 5 Clubs
John Baxter 1d54: [4] = 4 New Card 1d54: [40] = 40 2 Diamonds
Serigo 1d54: [43] = 43 5 Diamonds

Order

Archibald
GM
Serigo
Jeff
John
Hope
Note to Players

The stampede lasts for 10 Rounds, during that time anyone caught within the herd cannot take any actions other than to try and find some cover. Though those within the herd gain Medium Cover and thus are at -3 to hit (Cover and Darkness).

To get down the cliff, it requires a full round action with either Agility at -2 or an unmodified Climbing roll (if you have it).
Archibald Ellsworth

Action
Full round action to climb down cliff.

Agility 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2

Benny to re-roll

Agility 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-2: [8!!]-2 = 6
Archibald would be the first to admit that his marksmanship was somewhat lacking, granted it wasn't a required trait of a Royal Engineers officer. His swordsmanship, however, had become exceptional thanks in no small part to the practice and sparring matches he'd maintained as a way of avoiding spooking the cattle. It would mean getting close to the enemy, a prospect that he did not relish and getting down the cliff looked to be a rather dubious affair in the darkness.

He politely requested some of the Rail Enforcers come with him as part of a flanking manoeuvre and was humbled by the fact that they throw down a rope to aid them with tackling the cliff.
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

Load More Rolling
Gault Agility 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Damage 2d6!!+2: [1, 8!!]+2 = 11
Soak 1d10!!-3: [9]-3 = 6 1 Wound Soaked, 2 Wounds left.
Wild 1d6!!-3: [7!!]-3 = 4

Henchman 1 Spirit 1d8!!: [4] = 4
Agility 1d8!!-2: [23!!]-2 = 21
Henchman 3 1d8!!-2: [2]-2 = 0 Damage 4d6!!+4: [2, 4, 1, 5]+4 = 16 Dead
Henchman 5 1d8!!-2: [2]-2 = 0 Damage 4d6!!+4: [5, 4, 3, 5]+4 = 21 Dead

Raiders 1 1d8!!-2: [5]-2 = 3 Damage 2d6!!+2: [10!!, 5]+2 = 17
Raiders 2 1d8!!-2: [19!!]-2 = 17 Out
Raiders 3 1d8!!-2: [4]-2 = 2 Damage 2d6!!+2: [7!!, 3]+2 = 12
Raiders 4 1d8!!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Raiders 6 1d8!!-2: [5]-2 = 3 Damage 2d6!!+2: [5, 4]+2 = 11
Raiders 7 1d8!!-2: [19!!]-2 = 17 Out
Raiders 8 1d8!!-2: [4]-2 = 2 Damage 2d6!!+2: [2, 5]+2 = 9

14 Raiders left, 6 now clear of the stampede.
The stampeding cattle continue to take their toll on the outlaws with another ten of the bandits falling afoul of the thundering hooves. Though a couple of small groups of outlaws make it clear out of the herd only immediately come under fire from the Enforcers and the hot-headed townsfolk.

Some of the Enforcers follow Archibald and climb down the cliff to try and outflank the bandits.

NPC Actions
Enforcer Agility 1d6!!: [11!!] = 11

Enforcer Group 1 1d8!!-1: [7]-1 = 6 Damage 2d8!!: [7, 2] = 9
Enforcer Group 2 1d8!!-1: [6]-1 = 5 Damage 2d8!!: [1, 2] = 3
Enforcer Group 3 1d8!!-1: [6]-1 = 5 Damage 2d8!!: [5, 4] = 9
Enforcer Group 4 1d8!!-1: [1]-1 = 0

Townsfolk Group 1 1d4!!-1: [2]-1 = 1
Townsfolk Group 2 1d4!!-1: [6!!]-1 = 5 Damage 2d8!!: [3, 1] = 4
A volley of fire sounds out from your allies, though it only appears to down two of the bandits who'd gotten clear of the stampede.

(4 bandits clear of the stampede are only -1 to hit).
Mercy
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Mercy »

Sergio sees the herd stampeding below where he is firing at outlaws and chuckles. He sees the easy targets but concentrates his firing at the outlaws in the herd.

HIT / SHOOTING 4: Right Hand Shooting into here at Outlaws 1d10-3: [6]-3 = 3 WD Right Hand Shooting into here at Outlaws 1d10-3: [7]-3 = 4

DAMAGE: 2d6!!: [4, 4] = 8

HIT / SHOOTING 5: Left Hand Shooting into here at Outlaws 1d10-3: [8]-3 = 5 WD Left Hand Shooting into here at Outlaws 1d10-3: [5]-3 = 2

DAMAGE: 2d6!!: [5, 9!!] = 14
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

From his prone position, he shoots at the nearest bandit to the captives, determined to keep them safe in all the chaos. After taking his shot, he looks out for the next bandit, shifting his rifle as required.

Not letting them get hurt if I can help it

Shooting 1d8+1: [6]+1 = 7 marksman
wild dice 1d6+1: [1]+1 = 2
damage 2d8: [1, 7] = 8

Notice 1d8-1: [1]-1 = 0
wild dice 1d6-1: [3]-1 = 2
OOC Comments

Lame

Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Shooting 7
-1 darkness
Shooting 1d12!!-1: [7]-1 = 6
Wild 1d6!!-1: [8!!]-1 = 7
Damage 8 AP 2
2d8!!: [2, 6] = 8
Box canyon
Night
Round 0

Hope pressed herself into a niche in the rock as the cattle stampeded passed her. When it was clear, she lifted her rifle and sighted on one of the bandits that got free of the herd of cows and fired.
Party loot
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
1 bow
10 arrows

Boost Raise: Shooting d12 (2r)
Stampede (10r)
Character Tracker
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (14/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Powers:
Edges
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
Jeff Milton

Post by Jeff Milton »

Actions for Jeff Milton
Spend 2pp for soul blast with extra damage, 13/15 pp left.
Spellcasting 1d8!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-1: [7!!]-1 = 6
Damage 3d6!!: [3, 1, 4] = 8
Seeing that it was all or nothing, Jeff pulls a playing card from his sleeve and concentrates for a moment. A bright glow appears round the card before Jeff suddenly flings it away from him and towards the group of bandits who'd managed to clamber clear from the stampeding herd. The man staggers as the card strikes, but doesn't go down.
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

Loadsa Rollin' Time
Gault Agility 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Gault Wild 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Damage 2d6!!+2: [3, 4]+2 = 9 3 Wounds, now Incapped

RG 1 Agility 1d8!!-2: [5]-2 = 3 Damage 2d6!!+2: [1, 5]+2 = 8
RG 3 Agility 1d8!!-2: [5]-2 = 3 Damage 2d6!!+2: [5, 3]+2 = 10 Dead
RG 4 Agility 1d8!!-2: [5]-2 = 3 Damage 2d6!!+2: [23!!, 10!!]+2 = 35 Dead
RG 6 Agility 1d8!!-2: [7]-2 = 5
RG 8 Agility 1d8!!-2: [4]-2 = 2 Damage 2d6!!+2: [3, 4]+2 = 9 Dead

5 Raiders now left in herd.

4 Raiders clear of herd, 3 are Shaken.
1 Henchman clear of herd.

Henchman Shooting 1d8!!+1: [5]+1 = 6 Target 1d6: [5] = 5
Damage 2d8!!: [6, 2] = 8
Enforcer hit, Shaken

FR 1 Spirit 1d6!!: [4] = 4 Shooting 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9 Damage 2d8!!+1d6!!: [4, 6]+[4] = 14 Target 1d6: [3] = 3 1 Enforcer Down
FR 2 Spirit 1d6!!: [3] = 3 Still Shaken
FR 3 Spirit 1d6!!: [8!!] = 8 Shooting 1d6!!: [3] = 3
FR 4 Shooting 1d6!!: [2] = 2
The stampeding herd continues to inflict it's toll on the bandits, most of Gault's gang has disappeared under the thundering tide of bovine flesh. Round five of the gang's number are clear of the herd and attempting to fight back but with little success, though you loose one of the Rail Enforcers to a lucky shot.

Initiative
Archie 1d54: [48] = 48
GM 1d54: [25] = 25
Hope 1d54: [23] = 23
Jeff Milton 1d54: [8] = 8
John Baxter 1d54: [32] = 32
Serigo 1d54: [3] = 3

Order

GM KH
Hope JH
Archie 10D
Jeff Milton 9S
John Baxter 7C
Serigo 4s
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Box canyon
Night
Round 0

Hope chambered another round into her Winchester and sighted on another of Gault’s men free of the herd, firing again.
Shooting 4
-1 darkness
Shooting 1d12!-1: [2]-1 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-1: [5]-1 = 4
Benny to reroll
Shooting 1d12!!-1: [5]-1 = 4
Wild 1d6!!-1: [2]-1 = 1
Damage 12 AP 2
2d8!! AP 2: [7, 5] = 12
Party loot
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
1 bow
10 arrows

Boost Raise: Shooting d12 (1r)
Stampede (9r)
Character Tracker
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (13/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Powers:
Edges
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
Mercy
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Mercy »

Sergio aims both pistols out. Pulling the trigger on the right pistol it misfires and the hammer slams into a dud.

Right Pistol 1d10!!-1: [1]-1 = 0 Right Pistol wild die 1d6!!-1: [2]-1 = 1

Left handed the gunman fired. Another dud. Left 1d10!!-1: [2]-1 = 1 Left wild 1d6!!-1: [4]-1 = 3

Frowning at the bad luck Sergio slammed the pistols into holsters and readied his rifle.
Archibald Ellsworth

Fighting 6, Damage 5
Fighting 1d10!!-1: [7]-1 = 6
Wild 1d6!!-1: [4]-1 = 3

Damage 2d6!!: [1, 4] = 5
"Into them! Into them!" Archibald cries as he leads a charge of a sort into the bandits. "Do not let them rally!"
Jeff Milton

Post by Jeff Milton »

Actions for Jeff Milton
Spend 3pp for soul blast with additional bolts, 10/15 pp left.
Spellcasting 1d8!!-1: [5]-1 = 4
Spellcasting 2 1d8!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
Spellcasting 3 1d8!!-1: [1]-1 = 0

Damage 2d6!!: [3, 1] = 4
Jeff wades in with a fan of cards in his card, which get flung towards the bandits like the one before. However, they only seem to have negligible effect.
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

Determined to keep their boss safe, John Baxter aims and fires again.

Shooting 1d8+1: [7]+1 = 8
wild dice 1d6+1: [4]+1 = 5
Damage 2d8: [1, 3] = 4
Raise damage 1d6: [2] = 2
OOC Comments

Lame

stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

Rollin' Time Again
RG 1 Agility 1d8!!-2: [6]-2 = 4
RG 6 Agility 1d8!!-2: [15!!]-2 = 13

Another five raiders make it clear of the herd.

Allied NPC Actions

RE 1 Shooting 1d8!!-1: [4]-1 = 3
RE 2 Shooting 1d8!!-1: [5]-1 = 4 Damage 2d8!!: [7, 5] = 12
RE 3 Shooting 1d8!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
RE 4 Shooting 1d8!!-1: [6]-1 = 5 Damage 2d8!!: [3, 4] = 7

RE 5 (/w Archie) Shooting 1d8!!-1: [7]-1 = 6 Damage 2d8!!: [1, 1] = 2

Townsfolk 1 Shooting 1d4!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
Townsfolk 2 Shooting 1d4!!-1: [1]-1 = 0

Free Raiders 1-3 dead, 4 is Shaken.

Henchman and 6 Raiders now clear of the herd (Raiders 5-9 no further actions).

Henchman Shooting 1d8!!: [2] = 2
FR 4 Spirit 1d6!!: [5] = 5 Shooting 1d6!!-1: [9!!]-1 = 8 Damage 2d8!!: [7, 12!!] = 19 Target 1d6: [5] = 5 Enforcer hit, killed
You and your allies continue to inflict a toll on the bandits, felling more of the ones who'd managed to escape the stampeding tide of bovine flesh. Five more of the bandits emerge, choking on the dust cloud kicked up by the herd and already looking a little battered. It's impossible to tell how many bandits are left now, least it doesn't appear to be any left trapped within the herd. Half a dozen bandits now face you, though they are now heavily outnumbered by the force arrayed against them.

Initiative
Archie 1d54: [20] = 20 8H
GM 1d54: [41] = 41 3D
Hope 1d54: [4] = 4 5S
Jeff 1d54: [21] = 21 9H
John 1d54: [5] = 5 6S
Serigo 1d54: [8] = 8 9S

Order

Serigo -> Jeff -> Archie -> John -> Hope -> GM
Note to Players

There are 7 bandits left, all are clear of the herd and this only suffer a -1 to be shot at.

Happy shootin'.
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Shooting 9
-1 darkness
Shooting 1d12!!-1: [10]-1 = 9
Wild 1d6!!-1: [9!!]-1 = 8
Raise Damage 11 AP 2
3d8!!: [4, 1, 6] = 11
Box canyon
Night
Round 3

Hope levered another bullet into the chamber and took aim. Seven more bandits. They could handle this, right? She took a breath and held it while aiming, as her father had taught her, then pulled the trigger.
Party loot
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
1 bow
10 arrows

Boost Raise: Shooting d12 (final)
Stampede (8r)
Character Tracker
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (12/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 1W
Powers:
Edges
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
Mercy
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Mercy »

1d10!!-3: [6]-3 = 3
Shoot Rifle 1d10!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
WD 1d6!!-1: [3]-1 = 2

Shooting / Rifle at bandit
1d10!!-1: [9]-1 = 8 1d6!!-1: [9!!]-1 = 8

Taking aim with the old rifle Sergio starts to slip on the rocks he is standing on. Steadying himself he aims and fires.

Bam! The bullet hits the cattle thief.

2d8!!: [14!!, 14!!] = 28 AP1 damage
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

"Keep it up, we almost have them," John shouts, taking aim at another bandit.

shooting 1d8+1!: [3]+1 = 4
wild dice 1d6+1!: [4]+1 = 5
damage 2d8!: [2, 5] = 7
OOC Comments

Lame

Jeff Milton

Post by Jeff Milton »

Jeff Actions
Spend 3pp for soul blast with extra damage, 7/15 left

Spellcasting 1d8!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-1: [3]-1 = 2

Benny time...

Spellcasting 1d8!!-1: [5]-1 = 4
Wild 1d6!!-1: [2]-1 = 1

Damage 3d6!!: [5, 2, 5] = 12
Growing frustrated with his efforts, Jeff focuses all his concentration on a single card before letting it fly. It struck one of the bandits hard enough to knock them down and to keep them down.
Archibald Ellsworth

Fighting 10, Damage 11
Fighting 1d10!!-1: [5]-1 = 4

Benny...

Fighting 1d10!!-1: [11!!]-1 = 10
Wild 1d6!!-1: [11!!]-1 = 10

Damage 3d6!!: [4, 4, 3] = 11
"We have them!" Cried Archibald as he saw some of the bandits go down and cut down another with his sword. "By jove we have them!"
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

Yep, Rollin' Time Again.....
RE 1 Shooting 1d8!!-1: [9!!]-1 = 8 Damage 2d8!!: [1, 5] = 6
RE 2 Shooting 1d8!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
RE 3 Shooting 1d8!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
RE 4 Shooting 1d8!!-1: [13!!]-1 = 12 2d8!!+1d6!!: [5, 1]+[10!!] = 16
RE 5 Shooting 1d8!!-1: [6]-1 = 5 Damage 2d8!!: [3, 5] = 8
Your efforts have managed to whittle down the bandits with the last few last standing cut down in a concentrated volley from the Black River enforcers. Aside from the stampeding cattle, all is quiet and when the tide of bovine flesh finally petters out you are given the chance to survey the carnage. Of over two score of bandits, most had been trampled by the thundering hooves of the herd in their flight from the makeshift corral. Searching through the battered remnants of the bandits, you find the body of Gault where he fell.

In the bandit's camp itself you find Sutter and the other captives alive and well, all thankful you profusely for the rescue. The Black River Enforcers begin to take their leave, though not before rounding up some of the cattle that had been agreed as payment. Likewise, the townsfolk drift away back to their homes now that a menace had been put to rest.

Sutter sends for Abby, Luke and the other cowhands to bring the herd to the box canyon whilst organising the thankless task of rounding up the now spent stampede. It is his intention to rest for a couple of days before resuming the drive north once more. For your efforts, you've been given 24 hours grace from work to have a well deserved rest.

Note to Players

Battle now over, so freeform for some character interactions.

You may do a Notice roll at -2 to search through the bandit camp for anything of interest.

I'll wait a week and then post the next part.
Mercy
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Mercy »

Rolls are at -2
N 1d8!!: [7] = 7
wd 1d6!!: [2] = 2

Sergio checks the area making sure no henchmen are still alive or a danger to him or the others.

Looking over at John, Jeff, Archibald, Hope and rest of the Posse he nods at them.

A nice job nod.

After reloading his pistols the gunman pockets the two duds from earlier. That had been bad luck, two misfires in a row.

Pulling a pouch of tobacco out of a dead henchmen’s pocket, he offers some the others.
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Notice 3
Notice 1d4!!-2: [5!!]-2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Box canyon
Night
Round 0

“Thank you,” Hope told the sheriff and the posse, “for your help.”

Then Hope went over and untied Abbey, helping the girl up. “Are you okay?” she asked, straightening the girl’s clothes a bit, looking her over. “They do anything to you, honey?” Hope knew enough about men to know what a group such as this might do to a pretty young woman like Abbey.

As the rest of the hands collected the herd, Hope helped go through the bodies of Gault’s men. The ones caught in the stampede were rather horribly mangled. “We should dig a pit,” she said, “if we’re going to camp here a few days. These will get ripe.”

Finally, Hope offered, “Is anyone hurt? I can look at your injuries.” She pulled the silver cross from her cleavage.
Party loot
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
1 bow
10 arrows
Character Tracker
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (12/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Powers:
Edges
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
John Baxter

Post by John Baxter »

John limps down the slope and into the canyon, reloading his rifle as he does so. Looks to be over but you never can be sure.
"Everybody alright?" he calls out, looking for Hope, Jeff, Archie, Luke and Abbey.

He makes his way slowly over to towards Sutter, keeping an eye on any of the fallen just in case. Things get up a bit too often for my liking. If they are chained in place, he will try shooting them off if no key can be found and they are chained to a central post.

Notice 1d8-2!: [5]-2 = 3
Wild Dice 1d6-2!: [5]-2 = 3

"Sorry we took so long Mr Sutter, we go delayed rescuing the others. Appears this Gault individual has been a problem all over this territory"

Returning to the main group, John blasts out a few bars on his harmonica
Sergio wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:32 pm Pulling a pouch of tobacco out of a dead henchmen’s pocket, he offers some the others.
"Cheers," John nods and takes a piece. He did not normally partake, but why not for a change. Eyeing the man up and down, John thinks for a second.
"Don't suppose you are looking for a job. With all this, I'm sure Sutter will probably want to take on a few more gun hands."
OOC Comments

Lame

Mercy
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Mercy »

John Baxter wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:08 amEyeing the man up and down, John thinks for a second.

"Don't suppose you are looking for a job. With all this, I'm sure Sutter will probably want to take on a few more gun hands."
Taking back the tobacco pouch Sergio considers Baxter’s words. Nodding the gunman briefly smiles at John.

“Sergio. I’ll stick with ya partner.”

Tipping his sombrero at Hope the gunman nods at John.

“Yessir I’m in.”
Archibald Ellsworth

Notice 5
Notice 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Archibald spied John talking to one of the townsfolk who'd opted to stay, the man had the look of somebody who lived on the move than than settled down in one place. He seemed to have committed himself well during the battle, so he might be somebody worthwhile to have with them.

"Captain Archibald Ellsworth, of Her Majesty's Royal Engineers." Archibald said in his strong British accent as he introduced himself to @Sergio. "How do you do?"

"I say, if you'll excuse me chaps...I shalt see about what supplies these ruffians had stowed away."
Mercy
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Mercy »

Nodding at Archie, the gunman smiles.

“Royal engineer. Hot damn. That sounds fancy. I like it. Pleased to meet you good Sir.”

Sergio glances around taking the aftermath scene in.

Eyes resting on Hope the gunman moves closer to her.

“Ma’am. Good day. Somehow by his grace I wasn’t hurt none. Always a boon.”
Hope Monaghan

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Box canyon
Night
Round 0

Hope turned to the new man that John seemed to have recruited. “Well, that is a mighty blessin’, then, Mr. Sergio,” she said, having overheard his introduction. “I am right glad you are not hurt. This seemed to have turned out better than I would have expected. Seems the good Lord might not be done with us just yet,” she said with a smile, tucking her silver cross back into her cleavage. “Glad you could join the crew then.” She offered Sergio her surprisingly soft hand.
Party loot
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
1 bow
10 arrows
Character Tracker
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Powers:
Edges
Character Tracker
Adventure Card:
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

Archibald's efforts round the bandit camp reveals Gault's stash of ill-gotten gains; $1,500 in dollar bills and $400 in gold dust.

Sutter suggests dividing half the money amongst the hands who'd helped with the rescue, though the call is yours but beware your choice could end up hurting your rapport with the other hands on the drive.

Once the cattle have been rounded up once more, Sutter gets the herd back on the trail. The herd is halted for a day by Sutter at Exposition to resupply, giving you the chance to collect the reward on Gault and his gang. Unfortunately, the railroad enforces and townsfolk have already claimed a cut but the sheriff kept back $500 for you.

The next two weeks pass by uneventfully until Sutter halts the herd a day or so outside of Denver. Over the next few days Sutter makes enquiries about selling the cattle, though you have leave to visit the town as well long as enough hands remain to tend to the herd.

You've spent weeks on the drive up from Texas, surviving the weirdest threats the West has to throw at you. Now it's time for a well-earned break.

This part of the adventure is now finished, stay tuned for an Interlude and Part 2 of Blood Drive.

Return to “Adventure Forum”