Episode 1.1 Talis

Not as good as the original, better than the prequels.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Re: Episode 1.1 Talis

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The droid continues into the town. The town appears like a standardly small town however there’s a strange feeling of watchfulness from the towns folk who silently watch them both. Even the children see them and start jumping up and down all excited before a few adults collect them up and lead them off.

It appears that the droid doesn’t pay this any mind as he continues on to head towards the center of town. “This is indeed surprising...” the droid says but doesn’t offer any context.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis comments, "Something unusual is clearly going on, we will have to be cautious."

Talis tries to figure out which of the two of them is attracting more attention. He might need to talk with someone to find out what is going on. Likely there will be someone sent to speak with them, that is the way it usually works. Either to find out who they are, or to ask them to leave (or both).
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The droid still continues on to the center of town where there is a medium sized, well kept amphitheater. “This is indeed strange...the design of the temple usually keeps people away. I’m hoping it didn’t get destroyed...”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis decides to turn the tables on the droid, "And how will you feel if it has? Will you feel loss or anger?"

Most droids, except some type 5 work droids, have some capacity to at least emulate emotion.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The droid looks at him “of course, it belonged to a good friend of mine. In fact it’s probably the last I have of them. And I was suppose to take care of it along with many other temples...instead I’ve been failing over and over. At least unlike the Jedi that destroyed them I have the capacity to accept I feel something.”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis inquires, "How long have you been at this anyway? If many temples which once belonged to your friends have fallen into ruins, it sounds like you have been functioning for hundreds, perhaps thousands, of years."

If that is the case...well it is interesting information at least.

He adds, "Many Jedi do feel emotions. Things like Arrogance in the certainty they are superior to those without their force abilities are quite common I am told."
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

“I am unsure of how old I am, The chronometer maxes at 100 revolutions.” He appears more and more bother about the state of the temple and thus continues into the amphitheater without saying much more. “Think this would be the kind of place to have a basement?”
Talis

Post by Talis »

That seems strange, why would a droid have a chronometer that only measures 100 years?

He states, "Likely the temple did have an underground area, most do. Those are likely to survive."

He asks, "Does this system have other planets further out from the sun?"

He is not sure what system he is even in.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The droid seemed to perk up a bit “that’s good” he moves towards the back of the temple. Rather quickly there’s some kind of entity that seems to be calling ,through the force, to come towards it as well as telling them to leave at the same time. “I know that there is more beyond this planet, but I have no concept of it in my memory banks. I am merely a small fish in a river who can’t begin to imagine the ocean.” He continues to follow the call of the entity
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis senses the conflicting urges in the force, uncertain what they mean.

He replies to A-bac, "Your programming is probably deliberately limited, though for what reason I do not know. Let us proceed and see what lies before us."
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

“It’s likely due to the sith holocrons inside of me.” He continues forward before he finds a door way to a stairwell leading downwards. Almost immediately he heads down without any hesitation.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis frowns a bit, "I have never encountered a holocron, but from what I understand they have a regenerative energy source and at least one programmed personality that acts as a gatekeeper to prevent a student from accessing the information until they are ready. They also can only be accessed by the force sensitive."

That would explain why the droid has some force abilities, if it is intended to probe the holocrons, such would be required.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

As soon as Talis set foot on the last step he suddenly found himself in a pitch black room with a single door way filled with a white light that obscured everything beyond it.

Just beyond the blinding light of the door is a large forest filled with a blanket of snow. The snow is very strange as it makes no sound or even feels like it’s beneath his feet but he still displaces it like normal snow and leaves foot prints as he walks.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis pauses to take in his surroundings. Where did the Droid go? The lack of physical sensations indicates this is a highly realistic hologram of some sort. He will carefully open himself to the force to see if he can detect the Droid's presence. If the illusion is force based, rather than light based, he will quickly close his mind and try to shut out the illusion.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

Despite reaching out to the force Talis doesn’t appear to gain any answers. Instead only more questions as everything feels both real and fake at the same time. A bac is completely not there, and while there are telltale suggestions that this in a force inclusion they quickly disappear almost as soon as he notices them. Even the snow beneath his feet begins to crunch out of no where.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Well, Talis is not particularly skilled at shutting out the force. Illusions in a temple are likely to be some form of training or testing simulation. He will just have to find his way through it, if he can.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

A bird suddenly flew down and landed on a branch in-front of Talis. It stared deep into her eyes before suddenly flying around him only to take off into the distance. Then the forest returned to it’s deep silence. Only the light sound of the wind making any sort of sound.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis, seeing no other clue, starts following the direction the bird went. He keeps alert, as best he can, for dangers of any type.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

Eventually Talis found himself at the edge of a massive clearing with a tall tower in the middle. Various strange shapes hiding just under the surface of the snow.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis pauses at the edge of the clearing, studying. The goal here would appear to be to reach the tower, the shapes covered by snow should, thus, be a challenge to prevent reaching the tower. The question becomes what form the challenge is intended to take.

Talis thinks, If this is a Sith test, the challenge is probably to defeat a number of guardians that will rise from the snow, the intent will be to provoke rage. Likely the test will detect my emotional state, so I will have to feel the emotions, but not give in to the emotions nor use the emotions to channel the force. A good test of discipline, even if not what the makes probably intended.

Drawing his sword, he travels toward the tower, seeking to avoid passing close to the snow shapes.

Assume these are living creatures or machines that in some way react to disturbances, caution seems to be in order, especially not drawing attention. Therefore, move slowly and quietly so as to avoid alerting their senses if possible.

Talis reminds himself, That may be difficult, with this substance under my feet crunching with every step I take. Now let me think, what was that exercise the master had me do with crossing fields of loose pumice?
OOC Comments
Elemental Manipulation, Focus Difficulty -1
Focus 1d8!!-1: [6]-1 = 5 , Wild Focus 1d6!!-1: [4]-1 = 3
Stealth 1d6!!+1: [1]+1 = 2 , Wild Stealth 1d6+1!!: [5]+1 = 6

Forgot to make this roll explodable, but posting it to keep me from reminding me of it later 1d6+1: [3]+1 = 4
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

Suddenly out of seeming no where an arrow appeared mere centimeters from talis’s foot. It was unclear if it was actually intended as a warning but it succeeded in bringing attention a figure who stood upon the top of the tower. This began a stand still as the archer didn’t fire a second time, but instead seemed to merely wait for some reason.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis is already holding his sword in his hand. He could use the blade, and the force, to deflect arrows...they should be much easier than blaster bolts. However, he thinks that this...well he is not sure if it is a being or a projection...that it could sense it if he drew upon the force further and might consider it a hostile move. Perhaps a little patience to see what they are up to. There are likely several ways through this test, and even more ways to fail.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The figure merely stood there silently as it watched over the entirety of the clearing. Only moving ever so slightly as it did so.
Talis

Post by Talis »

If this is a living creature, it would normally follow a warning shot with instructions. This being made no such statement. Well if it were human...not all species think the same.

Talis attempts to learn from the Force the right general course of action. Should he continue towards the tower and be prepared to deflect arrows? Should he retreat? Should he stand his ground and greet the archer? Is there some other course of action he needs to try?
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The force seemed to only give vague answers that didn’t seem to make any decision seem like the right one. The figure meanwhile continued to stand still. Only moving to suddenly shot an arrow off into the distance at a random bird.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis,not getting any guidance from the Force, tries using logic, If I assume this is an illusion covering up some real and reasonably normal thing, then it is likely to be some sort of device triggered by a motion detector. The device, I would judge, can shoot only one direction at a time, thus it being represented as a man with a bow. If this is the case, and if the "snow" also represents something real, such as fallen leaves that have drifted in through the entrance over the years, then the best way to proceed is to use the force to cause the "snow" to whirl about through the air, making it full of diverting false motions.

Suiting actions to thoughts, Talis calls upon the Force to raise whatever is on the ground into a swirling storm of particulates.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

A fury of arrows flies into the cloud almost instantly but soon stops as it starts to calm somewhat. The figure despite having fired almost as quickly as a repeating blaster still seems to have even more arrows at the ready
OOC Comments
Depending on where talis was in relation to the cloud he could have been hit
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis decides the illusion is probably covering a blaster turret or something similar. He keeps the whirling clouds in the air while advancing slowly, deflecting the few blaster bolts that come his way.

Eventually he will reach the foot of the tower, if there are no other obstacles (and if he can keep up his concentration that long).
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The first figure is suddenly reinforced by another as they continue to fire arrows into every sound Talis makes. The arrows wizzing though the air with pin point accuracy as they hailed down on the young man. They certainly felt as close to arrows as Talis would be able to tell.
OOC Comments
Up to you how much he knows about Super ancient tech
and they also sounded solid as the fell into the soft embrace of the snow. The arrows were quick but the distance enabled Talis to have enough warning before one buried into his skull.
OOC Comments
So I’m thinking about simplifying it to a fighting roll for deflecting at least in this situation. Roll 3 times, each roll representing about how far away from the tower you are. At the farthest range you roll normally, second roll with a -1 and the third is a -3. Feel completely free to think up ways to reduce their ability to hit you.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Apparently the system brought another turret online to deal with the multiple threats, perhaps an alternate method is suggested. Talis, instead of keeping the "snow" moving, forms it into a solid layer over the area. If this works right, it will block the motion detectors from sensing any motion that happens under the cover layer.

Within the illusion terms, the snow will keep anything below the surface from being seen. The only trouble being the weight, it will be a lot of snow to hold aloft. And, of course, it assumes they do not also have pressure sensors on the ground. Hopefully the snow layer will also block shots in that event.
OOC Comments
What would Talis know of ancient tech? He did not have exactly a great education, he would know what he would have seen in the prison mines of Kessel. he might have seen knives made from scrap, but I am not sure how bows could be made from available materials.

Whether it is using Fighting or Focus, the rolls are the same as 1d8, so...
Round 1: Defense 1d8!!-1: [3]-1 = 2 , Wild Defense 1d6!!-1: [2]-1 = 1
Round 2: Defense 1d8!!-2: [6]-2 = 4 , Wild Defense 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Round 3: Defense 1d8!!-3: [4]-3 = 1 , Wild Defense 1d6!!-3: [11!!]-3 = 8
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

OOC Comments
Damage for the shot that initially hit him.
Snow gives him +2 armor, but the bows have ap 1 so net toughness 6

Normal damage
1d6+2: [1]+2 = 3
Wild die

Shaken but not stirred
Talis quickly felt the arrow pierce deep into his foot. Although fortunately deep with a foot is relatively not deep at all. He was mostly fine despite the odd pain while walking. The arrow certainly didn’t feel like it was a illusion covering a blaster bolt. It truly felt like a stick of barbed wood in his foot.
Dice rolls
2d6+2: [4, 5]+2 = 11
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis felt the hit and drew on his training to keep moving anyway, although he dropped down to crawl forward. This would slow him little more than he would be slowed walking on the hurt foot, and would let him lower the snow. Not to make it easier to lift, but to bring it closer to normal ground level to fool the sensors better.

He felt a second attack that barely missed him and heard another that struck somewhere nearby. Apparently the plan IS working, as he reaches the base of the tower without being further perforated.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

As he moves forward he can hear the sound of arrows continuing to slam into the snow above him. One even pierces through the snow. Luckily it stopped a mere foot from his face however a second arrow split the first down the middle and got much closer to Talis than he likely would have been comfortable with. Which showed that even with the snow blocking view of him. The archers still knew exactly where he was located.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis remembers his teaching. "Fear exists to warn you of danger and to help you prepare, acknowledge fear, but do not let it control you or stop you from doing what must be done," is something his master said to him once.

So he knows there is danger, the chemicals his body is producing will make his senses keener and his reflexes faster. He accepts the fear, but his mind is at peace, it is only a warning, it shall not control him

He continues on, seeking a way into the tower that will not leave him perforated. He trusts the force to show him the path.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The arrows continue to rain down upon him even as he reaches the base of the tower. And here the arrows are more accurate and more often as the archers seek to halt him.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis has made it this far, but sees little clue what to do next. He considered trying to grab their weapons away, but he seriously doubted it would work.

He thinks, Try working within the context of the vision. Can I sabotage those weapons? Say break those strings they launch the missiles with?

He will have to release the snow, as he can not concentrate on so many things at once, but it may buy him time as they replace the broken strings. They probably have replacements, but it should take a moment to get them.

He glances around and locates a sharp-looking rock, then releases the snow to fall back to the ground while aiming the rock at his target (s).

Part of him wants to attack the shooters with the rock, but his master did tell him to use the force for knowledge and defense, not to attack. Disarming them does not actually count as an attack.

He wonders briefly what he is actually doing outside the vision. Creating an overload in the turret aiming circuit? Pulling a wire? It does not really matter, as long as it achieves the effect. He trusts the force to find a way.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

It seems like the real world doesn’t seem to matter in this place as a rock smashes into the wood of the bow. That in combination with a strong pull back on the string sent the entire device into pieces leaving only one of the shooters able to continue firing. Which they most certainly did continue to do.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis thinks, Well that certainly worked, perhaps I can disable the other one.

He attempts to disable the other weapon, however he suspects that the enemy might be alert for the same trick, so he tries something different, crystallizing ice upon the string and the bow-staff to try to make it shatter when tension is placed on it (or released, he is not picky).
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The stings snap and the two figures rush to pull out a set of new strings to restring the bows with. They are working fast but there is a lull in their shooting.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis quickly moves around the tower seeking an entrance. He thinks, The entrance is certain to be locked and/or barred, but hopefully this sword can help me get through that once I find where to cut.
OOC Comments
Notice: 1d6!!: [3] = 3 , Wild Notice 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Apparently the entrance is hidden, or not at the base of the tower. He will have to find another way in...he assumes finding the way in is required.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The location of the door eludes him but it is fairly obvious ,due to it literally being in-front of his face, that the mortar on the bricks has eroded away making not the best hand and foot holds but at least something.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis is growing tired from using the Force so constantly, but he continues to call upon it because he is fairly sure he needs to. He lets it guide is hands to secure grips, this feet to firm footing, and strengthen his ability to climb.

Part of him thinks, This would be much easier on Kessel, the gravity there is lower.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

It doesn’t take long for talis to reach the top but it did give the arches enough time to restring or acquire new bows. They then went completely silent as they waited for him to come into view.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis know they are there, he searches for a good grip or firm place for his feet and then, once he has it, uses the force for one of the famous Jedi acrobatic maneuvers: propelling himself up and over the top while drawing his blade to land on the roof and do a spinning strike intended to disarm his foes by destroying their weapons.

He really hopes this will work, because if it does not he will probably be too exhausted to try anything else through the force...
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The illusion seemed to have started to break down slightly. Two arrows struck Talis in the chest but as soon as he landed they seemed to fade. More arrows flew through both his blade and his chest as the two figures continued firing despite now being harmless. After a few more moments they finally disappeared leaving Talis alone on the top of the tower.

The wind still howled around him as the sky crackled with a bolt of random lighting. And he suddenly wasn’t alone any more as his master appeared before him.
Talis

Post by Talis »

As the arrows strike he fully expects to be perforated, whether by a blaster, a laser, or some other weapon he is not sure (and does not care much, unless it is a stun weapon).

Talis is vaguely surprised to see his master, and more surprised to be standing to do so. He quotes part of the Jedi Code, "There is no death, there is the Force."

He is not sure if they are both what the world would call dead or not.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The master smiles seeming a little more there before he simply nods “you have done well to make it here, showing your proficiency in the force.” He didn’t actually feel dead instead he felt like only a part of him was here, much like a force projection.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis considers, then admits, "Technically I failed, I think. I am unsure of the goal of this, but it is clear I had farther to go. I still have much to learn."

Then again, perhaps that IS the point, showing the student how much they need to learn can be a valuable lesson.

Talis inquires, "Master, have you become one with the force, or did you somehow escape?"

He prefers not to consider the third option, that his master is currently a prisoner somewhere.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

“I’m not so sure that you could say that you failed” he walked over to the edge and looked down at the droid graveyard that was obscured beneath them “in this test there’s nothing specifically telling you to climb the tower, all that you know is this is where your opposition is.” He looks back at Talis “only you can truly decide if rushing towards those that try to stop you is the right choice for you.”

“To answer your second question, escaped might not be the right word. Delaying is closer, I found a safe place to rest and I projected here when asked”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis replies, "It is the most amazing display of the use of the Force I have ever seen, Master."

It is lightyears, even possibly entire sectors of space, between here and Kessel. He knew the Force was powerful, but reaching such a distance is remarkable. He had no idea it could even be done.

He adds, "I will admit, I had no idea what my goal was, other than to find my way out."
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

“I suppose that’s all one can do when faced with adversity, just like with the events on Kessel, all we can do is try to-“ suddenly his chest lit up as something fiery flew out. His master froze before looking down. Even as a Jedi he couldn’t help but let the basic instincts of the moment take over. “Talis-“ He fell to his knees.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis says softly, "There is no death, there is The Force."

This time, he knows his master has passed into The Force. The question is, what now?

Talis thinks, I still need to get out of this place and find that crazy robot.

He opens his eyes and looks to see if he has passed through the illusion, or is still bound by it.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

A new figure suddenly appears, an older woman. She unlike anything in this projection felt close as though she had entered the projection with him. “Is this trust how you wish to complete this test? unphased by the death of your master? Even I found it difficult when I lost contact with your master.”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis responds to the strange woman, "Ever since I knew him, my master has told me I would lose him. He told me not to get too attached to him. He wanted me to let him go when he fell, I am following his wishes Anything else would not be to respect his teaching or his desires. How can I do other that what he wants?"

He lowers his chin slightly, "It is not easy, but it is what I have been trained to do, to accept. It is the way of the Force, all things come to an end to make room for what is to come after. I faced my Master's loss when I fled Kessel, I came to terms with it once already. This is more immediate, but I can continue on."

Everyone he meets lately seems to be trying to force him away from the way he was trained. Perhaps this is intended as a test to see if he is a Jedi, though it is far too early in hi training for Jedi Trials...
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The woman seems to animate, although only through the force. Her emotions flaring up and hitting Talis like the ripples in a pond. Very much unlike a Jedi, even one administering a test of emotion. “But did he truly mean nothing to you! Just something to be tossed away as soon as they are no longer useful? Is that truly how you-“ she stopped and suddenly composed herself before going silent.
OOC Comments
Possible force check although it’s an odd one so it’d be at a -2 penalty
Talis

Post by Talis »

OOC Comments
Will make the roll, though I will react without it
Focus: 1d8-2: [4]-2 = 2
Talis says, "It is not that he means nothing to me, it is that he means ENOUGH to me to respect his wishes, even if those wishes are to control my emotions and accept his passing. He told me that even if he passed he would know if I failed to do so, I do not want to fail him, even though it is difficult and everyone seems to be pushing me to go against his wishes. Sometimes, the thing you least WANT to do, is the one you most NEED to do."

Another of the lessons from his teacher. One must listen to their feelings, but must also be aware that there are personal feelings caused by attachments, and feelings that come from the force. Personal feelings cloud your judgement, feelings from the force clarify and illuminate.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

She looked at him sternly as she prepared her thoughts. “You and I both know he was hardly in a state to give guidance to a padawan. He didn’t even give you the chance to be more than an emotionless cultist.” It wasn’t easily obvious if this woman was trying to bait him as a test or honestly thought the words that she said.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis replies, "For one thing, given this place seems to be some kind of test that involves illusions, it is quite likely that he was never present, that what I saw was an illusion intended to push me toward the dark side. You could be the same. Still, to answer you, it is not that I, or any Jedi, do not feel emotions, it is that we do not let our base emotions control us."

He continues, "My master was not always the most coherent, that is true. He did try his best, and certain lessons always started the same, even if he would wander from his thread of thought. I have had to piece together my knowledge, it is hard won. What you have to work for is, thus, of greater value. One lesson that was repeated often enough for me to be pretty sure what the intent was is that visceral emotions can not be trusted. Fear, Anger, even Grief, all lead easily to the Dark Side and can not be allowed to guide your actions."

He muses, "The best I can figure it, the force is like a stream of water. It flows through following the easiest path, and cuts the paths it follows deeper. If you let it channel through your own darker parts, you become progressively more dominated by the darkness. The force itself is a thing of nature, it seeks a balanced level between predators and prey. between creative and destructive forces. Most sentients, however, are not good predators...they become greedy and take more than they need. Many of those who follow the Dark Side quickly become an imbalance, rather than a counterweight. There could be those out there who are not an imbalance, who act act to cull the weak and strengthen the whole, such would easily be misjudged by society. They would be walking a tightrope, and it would be easy to fall into the depths. The Jedi path is that of the strongest prey, the ones who defend the herd from predators to maintain the balance. Just as a proper predator culls the herd, so the Jedi cull those predators who seek to take too much, those who throw the balance off. The Jedi use control of their emotions as a safety net, a way to keep from becoming that which they oppose."

He adds, "I feel emotions, but I have control. I do not grant my emotions control over me."
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

“And what of those who lived here before, those who sought merely to suggest another way. A new way that did nothing to harm anyone. It merely allowed them to truly be with nature and the force. However all they saw was a threat to their politics.” She looked at him “but I suppose there’s no real way to convince you otherwise, if their is doubt in your heart I can not see it”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis replies, "There may be other ways, and some may harm none, but I do not know them. Also, they would not be respecting the wishes of my master if I did. The question is always, which actually do no harm, and how do you tell them from those that are the start of a slippery slope into darkness?"

Calm and at peace are easy to understand, it may be that there are other paths that stay in the light. The Jedi may have just taken the most simple path to explain that does not fall. The problem would be knowing a right path from a wrong one.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The facade of her being a Jedi quickly began to break down as she was no longer attempting to lie any longer. She listened for a moment before it was obvious through the force that she was not interested in the ways of the Jedi. She had a deep distrust for them but she felt far from dark. “Wouldn’t you say his dying wish was more for you to be safe. You act like neither of you cared for each other but it’s obvious that on some level that is untrue. He obviously cared for you and would have morned your passing if your roles were reversed”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis notes, "Mourning is for the living, an attachment of emotion to memory. I will Mourn him in the sense that I will miss him, that I will think of him often and treasure what he taught me. I will regret that he is no longer about, and will miss being able to ask him for answers. Were our situation reversed, he would likely do much the same, though what he gained from me was greater clarity of mind and focus. Yes, he would mourn me, as I mourn him, but he would not be angry over my loss, he would not hate my killer, he would not warp his life seeking revenge...and I will not either."

Of course, with his master, how much he would remember and how often would always be in question. Talis will miss his master, but to warp his life with darkness would be to walk away from all his master held dear.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

“Just like all Jedi you always take our ways out of context. I am not suggesting revenge nor am I suggesting you fall into your emotions never to come out, but you need to feel. Stuffing your emotions down will only make them grow stronger than you can control.” She pauses for a moment before she crosses her arms “how about this, because you likely aren’t use to you emotions. What about a single tear, a single representation of how you feel for losing him.”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis points out, "It is simple to make myself cry, anyone with a bit of practice in the force can do it. What you are actually asking is not for a tear, but for the emotion of grief. Grief, I have been taught, is not for the dead, but a selfish emotion, an attempt to hold on to what has passed. It is about yourself, about what you want, and about not believing that the one who has passed continues within the force."

He pauses to ponder, "Grief tends to follow stages. Things like denying the person has passed on, then anger that the person has been taken away, then bargaining to try...impossibly...to get back what is lost, then depression over what you no longer have, followed by acceptance of the loss. The Jedi seek to skip over the steps, to move on without the anger or depression by urging acceptance through the knowledge that the person continues on within the Force."

He looks at the woman, "What you are doing, is trying to make me step onto the path of denial, to get angry and to seek to bargain...to open myself to the dark side by not accepting. What does one tear hurt? It is not the tear, but the break in acceptance, the stepping backwards into darkness. I may not have my master with me physically, but his lessons I have, and that step into darkness is one I refuse to take. I have lost my master in the physical world, but he remains within me in his lessons. I will miss my master, miss the training and being able to ask him for advice, even if I only understood what he was trying to say less than half the time. In that much, I admit to a degree of grief...but that I acknowledge is for myself, for not having him there to support and guide me. That I would have had to do soon or late in any case, for all students must eventually stand on their own, and rarely are they ready when that day comes. My day came sooner than most, but I have learned and I do not falter."

Talis shakes his head, "If this is a test to turn me, it will not happen today."

Return to “Episodes”