Scheduled Maintenance:
 ! Message from: Tiree
Maintenance has been performed. If you are receiving a submitted form is in error, please delete your cookies for this site.

Change o' Plans

Post Reply
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

You've been camped outside of Denver for a few days now, waiting for Sutter to return after he gets a feel for the local cattle market. Now Sutter finally returns to the encampment and gathers everyone who isn't busy with other chores.

"Turns out we got here a little late." Sutter states with a sigh. "Between herds comin’ down from the Wyoming Territory and Texas herds that
have already hit the market in Dodge, the price o’ beef is in the outhouse hereabouts. It’s only a snake’s belly above what them Bayou Vermilion varmints were offerin’, and this time, that’s across the board."

"Now, after cogitatin’ on it a piece, I figure that’s both good and bad. It’s bad in that I ain’t headin’ back to Texas a rich man—at least not right away. It’s good in that there’s another herd here in a bad spot that I was able to buy up for a little more than a song. On top of that, a feller sold me a Federal land grant in the Bighorn Basin up in Wyoming that’s a fair sight larger than my spread on the Brazos. I’m sick of dealing with those Bayou Vermilion hooligans, so I took him up on it."

"I plan to take both herds north and start a new ranch up in the territory. Any of you that wants to can ride with me. Those who don’t I understand. You’re welcome to any pay that’s owed you with no hard feelings on my part."


He looks round expectantly at each of you as he awaits your answer.
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Denver
Night
Round 0
Conditions:

Hope, back in her trail duds, her fancy duds packed carefully away in the bottom of her chest, sipped her coffee as she listened to Sutter as he laid out the situation. Denver was a might tempting place to get on with her life, but she would still need some sort of stake if she didn’t want to end up back in a brothel. Maybe she could earn enough to buy up a saloon. Or, hell, out in Wyoming Territory she could find herself some rich rancher for a husband. Maybe the local preacher would need a good wife.

“I’m in,” Hope said. “I could use the extra stake money, start a new life.”
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

"I must admit that I'd intended to part ways at this juncture to strike west to visit the Maze before heading north to my posting in Canada." Stated Archibald, who paused and glanced in Abby's direction. "Though I'll also admit that plans change."

"On reflection, Wyoming is considerably closer to the Canadian border than the Maze." Archibald continued. "Which in turn would make it easier to conclude my business in the north."

"So once more into the breach as they say, to Wyoming we go."
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

John listens to Sutter's explanation quietly, considering his options. City life was not for him and he was looking forward to getting back out onto the trail. He blows a few notes on his harmonica before putting it back in his saddlebags.

"I'm in," John says, doffing his hat.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
Sergio
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:49 am
Location: Deadlands

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Sergio »

Setting the coffee cup down next to the coffee maker resting over a dying fire pit, the gunman listens to Sutter and the others. Their camp site was more to his liking then Denver had been. Sergio was more attuned to life on the road than staying put.

“I’d welcome the travel. My gun is yours if you’ll have me. Reckon I’m ready to move on from Denver.”

Standing up Sergio smiles and starts to gather his things.
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Lars
  • Game Master: CS Disavowed 111 P.A. (2397 A.D. - canon Rifts Time)
  • Game Master: Rifts Speed Tribes! 68 P.A. (2354 A.D. - the past dude!)

Damien - Momano (Rifts 1st SET, Far From Home)

Monza Lena - Altara (Phase World: Remorseless)

Sergio - Gunman (Deadlands)

Clay - Fighter (Savage Forgotten Realms)

Dred - Mega Juicer (Rifts Legends)

Jackal - Artificial Construct (Rifts 21st SET)
NPC Accounts:
Zieja Kashbrook RST!
Erin Tarn RST!
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

"Alright then." Sutter nods in satisfaction before outlining his plan to follow the Overland Trail north out of Denver, cut the western corner of the Sioux Nations, and forge north through Winding River Canyon. He offers $45 a month to the cowboys to stay on with the Lazy S, though some take him up on the offer there is roughly half who decide to head back down to Texas. As the trail crew sorts itself out, Sutter pulls you to one side.

"You folk have done right by me and Abby from the get go. To tell the truth, this here deal has put a dent in my wallet. I’m gonna need to be hirin’ more hands as well. I’m willin’ to cut you in for a tenth ownership of my original herd, divided amongst yourselves, in lieu of payment, fer choosin' to stay on with us."

Sutter's offer is about 130 head of cattle, when sold in a favourable market each Longhorn might bring as much as $40. He's come to highly value your contribution and so it may be possible to bargain for a better deal with a Persuasion roll. Accepting Sutter's offer is entirely optional, though it is generous.

The new herd Sutter purchased totals around 2,000 head. This more than doubles the size of the original Lazy S herd. Combined with several of the
original members of the crew heading back home to Texas, this leaves the Lazy S shorthanded for the trip.

Of the original cowboys, only half a dozen choose to remain with the herd (including Luke Canton). He plans to bring that total up to 20 riders—including the posse—before the herd heads north, by putting out a call for experienced hands.

It’s not long before drifters begin to mosey into the main camp. Most of them are honest cowboys just looking for any work they can find, but a couple of the more experienced hands warn that some might be bandits or rustlers taking measure of the crew.

One particularly garrulous fellow shows up a few days later and seems especially dedicated to signing on with the Lazy S. He talks to everyone in the
camp and seems a friendly enough sort at first. The would-be cowpuncher gives his name as Jay Goodman and claims to have ridden on several drives, mostly on the Texas and Chisholm Trails.

Note to Players

Couple of Notice rolls are required here, one to spy bandits amongst the new hands and one if you engage Goodman in conversation.
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Persuasion on compensation CRITICAL FAIL
Persuasion 1d10!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Notice Bandits 3
Notice 1d4!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Notice Goodman 5
Notice 1d4!!: [5!!] = 5
Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Denver
Night
Round 0
Conditions:

“Well, Mr. Sutter, that sounds like a pretty good offer,” Hope said, accepting a flask passed to her around the fire, “but it seems it relies on a good market, and that--” Hope took a swig and started coughing, completely losing her train of thought as the rotgut tore through her throat. “Oh, God! That stuff is awful!” Cough, cough.

As the new potential hires drifted in over the next few days, Hope was too busy. As a woman, despite her trail experience, she’d been relegated to helping Abbey and the quartermaster with restocking for the trip to Wyoming. Well, perhaps it was also because she was good at brokering a deal, but she did notice she got some strange looks -- and not a few leers -- from the new men as she worked. She even had to learn a few of them in the dark of night when whiskey and poor judgment thought they could take liberties.

When the man calling himself Goodman joined the encampment, Hope found him friendly and a bit of a chatterbox. She flashed him her usual smile, deftly deflecting questions about her past.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Sergio
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:49 am
Location: Deadlands

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Sergio »

Notice Bandits = 3
Bandits Notice 1d8!!: [3] = 3
WD Bandits 1d6!!: [3] = 3

Notice with Goodman = 4
1d8!!: [4] = 4
1d6!!: [4] = 4



Sergio thanks Mr. Sutter. The offer seems very generous to him. The gunman hasn’t been with the group as long as some of the others but is interested in staying with them. It’s a good gig.

Lounging by his tent Sergio watches the new faces. He doesn’t recognize any of them and looks out at the rocky mountains in the distance. Pulling out his pistols he sets about cleaning them.

As Goodman approaches the gunman, Sergio swiftly reassembles one gun, loads it and holsters it. Then returns his attention to the other gun.

“Awe-do-say good Sir, I was just talk’n to that dear Hope. A fine lass....”

Goodman proceeds to chat up Sergio.

Sergio thinks to himself: God this man is one long winded loquacious snake.

As the man went on and on Sergio notes his mention of the Chisholm Trail.

“Which terminus you figure had better whores Mr. Goodman? Been a while since I been to either. What was that whiskey they served down south? Was a good batch I reckon.”

**
The southern terminus was Red River Station, a trading post near the Red River, along the northern border of Texas. The Northern terminus was a trading post near Kansas City, Kansas. The whiskey thing I (Dan) just made up.
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Lars
  • Game Master: CS Disavowed 111 P.A. (2397 A.D. - canon Rifts Time)
  • Game Master: Rifts Speed Tribes! 68 P.A. (2354 A.D. - the past dude!)

Damien - Momano (Rifts 1st SET, Far From Home)

Monza Lena - Altara (Phase World: Remorseless)

Sergio - Gunman (Deadlands)

Clay - Fighter (Savage Forgotten Realms)

Dred - Mega Juicer (Rifts Legends)

Jackal - Artificial Construct (Rifts 21st SET)
NPC Accounts:
Zieja Kashbrook RST!
Erin Tarn RST!
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

Sergio wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:57 am “Which terminus you figure had better whores Mr. Goodman? Been a while since I been to either. What was that whiskey they served down south? Was a good batch I reckon.”
"Oh up near Kansas City by far, particularly when we could get over to Dodge City." Answered Goodman. "After weeks on the trail it was like an oasis in the desert if you know what you mean."

"Whiskey? I can't say, been a while since I've been at Red River and last time I didn't so much get a look-in." Goodman admitted. "Speaking of Texas, thats where this drive came from right?"

"You folk must have a tale or two to tell?"

GM's Rolls
Persuasion 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4

Notice 1d10!!: [6] = 6
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
User avatar
Sergio
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:49 am
Location: Deadlands

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Sergio »




Standing up and placing his left pistol into the holster he says:

“I am Sergio O’Brian. A pleasure to meet you Mr. Goodman. I’ve been working with Sutter, the boss, for a while, as it’s good cash. Before that.... I tried my hand at less ... legal endeavors. Hopefully you won’t hold that against me. Life can be cruel. Survive or die, right?”

Sergio offers a hand to Goodman. Shaking with the seedy man Sergio continues:

“You seem the sort to know what’s the best way to profit. I hope you will remember my interest when things go ... a different way.”

Sergio senses the man seems like trouble and plays to the darker nature of the man, all the while doing so to best protect the group and Sutter.
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Lars
  • Game Master: CS Disavowed 111 P.A. (2397 A.D. - canon Rifts Time)
  • Game Master: Rifts Speed Tribes! 68 P.A. (2354 A.D. - the past dude!)

Damien - Momano (Rifts 1st SET, Far From Home)

Monza Lena - Altara (Phase World: Remorseless)

Sergio - Gunman (Deadlands)

Clay - Fighter (Savage Forgotten Realms)

Dred - Mega Juicer (Rifts Legends)

Jackal - Artificial Construct (Rifts 21st SET)
NPC Accounts:
Zieja Kashbrook RST!
Erin Tarn RST!
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

John listens to Sutter's offer and does a quick calculation in his head

$5200 split between us if we get a good price. Now that is far in excess of what he will pay us. Enable me to set and do ... well something. Even at a poor market, that is more than we would earn on this job otherwise. He looks over at his saddlebags where the book Pettinger had given him was. maybe it would be time to start thinking of the future.

"I for one am happy to accept your generous offer Mr Sutter. I do have one request though please. If you are getting new riders, they can bring up the rear and I do what I do best, which is scout."

As the new arrivals make themselves known and try to sign up, John keeps to one side and eyes them up, playing his harmonica and passing along messages as to which ones he thinks are good and which ones were suspect in his eyes.

Bandits
OOC Comments
Notice 1d8: [4] = 4
wild dice 1d6: [1] = 1
As Goodman moves around the camp, introducing himself, John hears him before he sees him.

Goodman
OOC Comments
Notice 1d8: [7] = 7
wild dice 1d6: [4] = 4
He notices Sergio talking with him and wanders over to join them.

"This our latest arrival Sergio?" he asks before introducing himself, "John Baxter at your service. So tell me, what sort of role do you normally do on a drive?"
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

John Baxter wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:32 pm"This our latest arrival Sergio?" he asks before introducing himself, "John Baxter at your service. So tell me, what sort of role do you normally do on a drive?"
"Goodman, Jay Goodman." Goodman replies. "Oh, swing or flank rider depending on what's needed. Still hard work either way keeping the herd together, but beats riding drag."

"Mostly ride the Chrisholm, but done the more western route like you've done couple of times. Got pestered by those army guys out Roswell way, seemed to have an axe to grind with anyone not in uniform. Far less hassle on the eastern routes."

For all his appearances, Goodman does seem to be honest and is able to accurately answer questions about the Chrisholm. However, John does note something about the man.
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Denver
Night
Round 0
Conditions:

“Grub’s up,” Hope said, easily slinging a couple tin plates across her arms as she approaches John Baxter, Sergio, and Goodman. “You be joinin’ us then, Mr. Goodman?” She handed the plates around. “I’ll be right back with the coffee.” A few of the men watched the sway of her hips in her dungarees as she passed.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Tashunka »

Tashunka mills about with the other hands looking for work (ironic, that), until he spots @Sergio. Smiling broadly, he walks up to the gunslinger and claps him on the back. "Here I am, in the mountains of Colorado, and who do I run into but the Rattlesnake? You're a long ways from Arizona, Rattler. You a 'proper' cowboy, now? You certainly did not put your pistols up," Tashunka nods to the six-shooters on Sergio's gun belt, "so this cannot be your retirement plan."
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

"Ruffians, the whole lot of them." Archibald bristles at the mention of the army fort at Roswell. "No respect for an officer."

"Alas Mr Sutter smoothed things over and we were able to continue on without further incident."
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

"Yep, sure sounds like 'em boys down at Roswell." Goodman chuckles. "Might as well be bandits the way they act."
Hope Monaghan wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:57 am“You be joinin’ us then, Mr. Goodman?”

"'Fraid not mam, looks like you've got quite the crew already and I'd end up feeling like a yokel at some high society shindig." Answers Goodman. "Besides, rather hoping to hitch up with a crew heading back down to Texas."
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Denver
Night
Round 0
Conditions:

“Ah. Well, good luck to you, then, Mr. Goodman,” Hope said. “Least we can do is offer you some hot grub before you go. You’re welcome to help yourself.”
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Sergio
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:49 am
Location: Deadlands

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Sergio »

Tashunka wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:25 pm
“You're a long ways from Arizona, Rattler. You a 'proper' cowboy, now? You certainly did not put your pistols up,"
Tashunka nods to the six-shooters on Sergio's gun belt, "so this cannot be your retirement plan."

“Tas! @Tashunka Great Horse! Hey brother.”

Normally when Sergio meets a person his hands loiter close to his pistols. Even when meeting an old friend. However when the gunman sees Tashunka his hands reach out to shake the mans hand.

“Ha, yea, guess’n I’m playing at be’n a cowboy. Try’n ma hand at a legitimate occupation. It’s good to see you. It’s been years. A lot happened. Ended up setting the badge down and heading into old Mexico.”

Glancing sideways at the others Sergio says: “That’s a story for another day. Come. This is @Hope Monaghan and our ... reckon she’s in charge. Hope. This here is the kindest person you’ll ever meet. And damn can he ride.”

Happy to see an old friend Sergio introduces Tashunka to the others.
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Lars
  • Game Master: CS Disavowed 111 P.A. (2397 A.D. - canon Rifts Time)
  • Game Master: Rifts Speed Tribes! 68 P.A. (2354 A.D. - the past dude!)

Damien - Momano (Rifts 1st SET, Far From Home)

Monza Lena - Altara (Phase World: Remorseless)

Sergio - Gunman (Deadlands)

Clay - Fighter (Savage Forgotten Realms)

Dred - Mega Juicer (Rifts Legends)

Jackal - Artificial Construct (Rifts 21st SET)
NPC Accounts:
Zieja Kashbrook RST!
Erin Tarn RST!
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Tashunka »

Tashunka is not bashful. "The Rattler is right. I can ride. Perhaps not so well as he can shoot, but such are the travails of we mere mortals. How do you do, Miss Hope?"

Tashunka greets the rest of the party warmly.

@Hope Monaghan
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

"Greetings my good man." Archibald greets @Tashunka and offers his hand. "How do you do?"

"Captain Archibald Ellsworth, late of Her Majesty's Royal Engineers." Said Archibald, introducing himself. "Usual for a person like myself to be travelling with a cattle drive, though at the time our respective travel plans coincided nicely and it's proven to be a happy accident."
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Tashunka »

Archibald Ellsworth wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:29 am "Greetings my good man." Archibald greets @Tashunka and offers his hand. "How do you do?"

"Captain Archibald Ellsworth, late of Her Majesty's Royal Engineers." Said Archibald, introducing himself. "Usual for a person like myself to be travelling with a cattle drive, though at the time our respective travel plans coincided nicely and it's proven to be a happy accident."
Tashunka takes Archie's proffered hand and shakes it. "Her majesty, you said? Your accent is wrong for Canada. You're from across the ocean, then?"
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

"Yes." Nodded Archibald. "I do indeed hail from dear old England."

"Though before I came to these shores I served for a time in Africa, against the Zulus if you're familiar with them though I was...waylaid and perhaps fortunate enough to avoid Isandlwana." Archibald continues, then pauses for a moment with a noticeably hard look on his face. "Though afterwards I was offered a posting up in Canada and decided to combine my journey there with a tour of the States en-route."
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Tashunka »

Archibald Ellsworth wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:54 am "Yes." Nodded Archibald. "I do indeed hail from dear old England."

"Though before I came to these shores I served for a time in Africa, against the Zulus if you're familiar with them though I was...waylaid and perhaps fortunate enough to avoid Isandlwana." Archibald continues, then pauses for a moment with a noticeably hard look on his face. "Though afterwards I was offered a posting up in Canada and decided to combine my journey there with a tour of the States en-route."
Tashunka nods and then says, "No, can't say I've heard of the Zulus. Good fighters, they were, huh? To keep you so occupied?"
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

John's eyes follow Goodman from a distance before walking to Sutter.

"Mr Sutter, I am going to follow Goodman. I have a bad feeling about him. I'll catch up."

When he leaves, John follows Goodman discreetly to see where he goes.

Notice 1d8: [2] = 2
Wild card 1d6: [2] = 2
Stealth 1d8+2: [5]+2 = 7
Wild card 1d6+2: [4]+2 = 6
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Denver
Night
Round 0
Conditions:

Hope turned to greet the man Sergio introduced. “Hello, Mr. Tashunka,” she greeted. “Coffee?” she offered. “We got fresh grub, too, if you wanna tuck in. You signing up? I can show you over to the quartermaster if ya need any gear before we go.”
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Tashunka »

Hope Monaghan wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:56 pm Denver
Night
Round 0
Conditions:

Hope turned to greet the man Sergio introduced. “Hello, Mr. Tashunka,” she greeted. “Coffee?” she offered. “We got fresh grub, too, if you wanna tuck in. You signing up? I can show you over to the quartermaster if ya need any gear before we go.”
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
“Bless you, child. Coffee would be lovely. The Rattlesnake says you are in charge of the hands on this drive?”
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Denver
Night
Round 0
Conditions:

Hope poured a tin cup of coffee and handed it to Tashunka. “I don’t know about in charge, but I help out where I can,” she said. “I’m kinda the only religion they got on the trail, and bein’ a woman, they think I can’t handle myself much. So I’m just makin’ welcome while we’re in town.”
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

Goodman's Notice 12
Notice 1d10!!: [12!!] = 12
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Goodman heads over to his horse and starts making sure the saddle and accompanying bags are fastened and secure, though he spies that @John Baxter had followed him. Turning round, Goodman looks at Baxter and asks in a slightly irritated tone. "Can I help you friend?"

"Half-decent folk don't normally sneak up on a man unless they have ill intent..." Adds Goodman as his hand hovers by the Peacemaker on his belt, but otherwise makes no effort towards drawing it.

Note to John

You have the option of confronting Goodman or letting him ride off.

If you choose to confront him, you need an Intimidation roll or a Persuasion roll at -2 (though you could try to drag him before somebody else with a decent Intimidation but up to you how you do so).
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

stormwell wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:48 am Turning round, Goodman looks at Baxter and asks in a slightly irritated tone. "Can I help you friend?"

"Half-decent folk don't normally sneak up on a man unless they have ill intent..." Adds Goodman as his hand hovers by the Peacemaker on his belt, but otherwise makes no effort towards drawing it.
John eyes him up and down, hand also resting on his pistol, but making no effort to draw it.

"You are in our camp, uninvited and not actually here for work and not ever intending to be. Excuse me if I don't find that a little suspicious, so I am making sure you are leaving unless you have something you'd like to admit!"

Persuasion 1d6-2: [6]-2 = 4
Ace 1d6+4: [3]+4 = 7
wild dice 1d6-2: [5]-2 = 3
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

Goodman's Spirit 7
Spirit 1d8!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
"Alright, alright." Goodman says, stepping back and putting his hands up defensively. "Ya got me."

"I work for the stockyards in town, it's my job to check out the herds that arrive to ensure that it's not rustlers looking to make a quick buck." Explains Goodman. "Sorry for the subterfuge friend, but I had to make sure everything was above board."

Persuasion 17
Persuasion 1d8!!: [17!!] = 17
Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Note to Players

@John Baxter can either accept Goodman's story or attempt a Notice roll vs a TN of 17.

Next GM post will see you back on the trial heading north.
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

notice 1d8: [8] = 8
Ace 1d8+8: [4]+8 = 12
wild dice 1d6: [4] = 4

John muses over the new information
This could be legitimate, certainly sounds plausible

John waves Goodman away, letting him leave.

"Next time, another crew might have rounded you up and been fairly unpleasant to you. I suggest you change your approach in the future."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

"Occupational hazard." Shrugs Goodman. "But I appreciate the tip friend."

"Though this is where I take my dues and depart." Goodman says, mouthing his horse and tipping the brim of his hat. "I wish you luck and easy trails friend."

Over the next week as the herd travels northwards from Denver, Goodman's blessing appears to ring true. The pace has been leisurely, there's been good grazing and plenty of water. All-in-all, things have been pretty trouble free and the herd has been easy to handle.

Note to Players

You've been on the trail for a water and it's been pretty plain sailing, though now I require you all to make a Notice roll.
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Tashunka »

Notice 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [7]+[5] = 12


Tashunka rides along with his new companions, more at home in the saddle than he had been on his feet. He chats amiably with anyone willing to engage, and he needles @Sergio good naturedly when the opportunity presents itself, enjoying the opportunity to laugh about old stories with a friend.

All the while, he keeps his eyes open for any sign of trouble. The drive has gone well so far, but it is too much to hope for a long journey through the West to pass without incident.
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

Notice 6
Notice 1d6!!+2: [4]+2 = 6
Wild 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Archibald had found the past few days pleasant enough despite the work involved in keeping a herd of cattle together. The terrain was easy going and his horse has amendable enough, plus he fancied himself becoming bit of a seasoned hand. The evenings were even more pleasant, having been spent in Abby's company beside the fire watching the stars overhead.

He was beginning to feel that things would be trouble free....
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Notice 7; Hope has Danger Sense, if that's applicable
Notice 1d4!!: [7!!] = 7
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Trail north of Denver
Afternoon
Round 0
Conditions:

Hope settled easily back into trail life. It was nicer now that they had new hands that could be relegated to the rear of the herd, allowing herself and the others to move up in the trail hierarchy. She still kept an eye on Abby, making sure none of the new blokes attempted to take liberties with the young woman.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

Notice 1d8: [6] = 6
Wild Die 1d6: [1] = 1

John felt good to be in the saddle as they travel along the trail. Acting as trailblazer, he was out in front, feeling the ground beneath the hooves of his horse.

He kept a watch for trouble as well as suitable places to stop.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

As you ride along you notice one of the Longhorns stagger and then fall over, though there had been untoward about the herd. Given how easy going things had been, it's a little out of the ordinary. Approaching the fallen steer, you find the animal laying on it's side. Its abdomen is moving spastically in and out, almost fluttering as if it’s struggling for breath.

Note to Players

If you wish to examine the animal further, please do a Notice roll.
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Notice 6
Notice 1d4!!: [6!!] = 6
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Trail north of Denver
Afternoon
Round 0
Conditions:

Hope pulled up and hopped off her horse, crouching down next to the stricken steer. “What happened?” she asked. She looked the animal over, as well as the ground around, in case of snakes or something.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Tashunka »

Tahunka stays in the saddle, and perhaps because of the distance from the downed animal he
Notice 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [2]+[3] = 5
special (other than that it fell down, of course).

"What do you see there, Miss @Hope Monaghan?"
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

Out in front of the herd, John is oblivious to what is happening.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

Notice 13
Notice 1d6!!+2: [11!!]+2 = 13
Wild 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Archibald would be the first to admit that he was no expert on cattle with his experience largely being limited to watching cattle droves go past in England and dealing with ox handlers in Africa. Even the long weeks spent on the drive had done little to real broaden his bovine based knowledge.

That said, even to him a seemingly perfectly healthy animal suddenly dropping dead for no apparent reason did strike him as a little...odd.

He debated in his mind whether to draw his sword as a precautionary measure.
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

The bovine, despite the peculiar movement of it's abdomen, appears to be most likely dead. Its eyes have rolled back in its head. Its lips are pulled back from teeth and its tongue protrudes slightly from its mouth. Finally, its nostrils show no movement to indicate the steer is still breathing.

Archibald's keen eyes notice some lacerations round the animal's lips that have begun to heal and are at least a week old.

Things become even more puzzling, perhaps alarmingly so, when the sound of snorts and squeals go up throughout the herd as more of the cattle fall victim to a similar fate. All told, nearly a dozen suddenly drop, leaving the Lazy S hands scratching their heads...
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Tashunka »

Tashunka whips his head around wildly.

”What on earth is this?” he asks aloud.
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Trail north of Denver
Afternoon
Round 0
Conditions:

Hope looked up at Tashunka. “I don’t know what’s wrong with him,” she admitted watching as the steer stopped breathing and finally expired. Then cries went up elsewhere around the herd as a dozen more cattle dropped for seemingly no reason.

“But something’s up,” Hope said, standing again. “Anyone notice anything strange the last time we stopped?” she asked. “Bad water or grass?”
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

"No, I haven't noticed anything untoward since we set out from Denver." Archibald answers. "Though if all the cattle afflicted are from the new herd, then they were afflicted before Sutter brought them."

"Either way, this doesn't bode well." He added, drawing his sword.
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

John continues on his way, oblivious to the situation back at the herd.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Trail north of Denver
Afternoon
Round 0
Conditions:

“Are these all from the new herd?” Hope asked, searching for the branding. “Do you think someone poisoned them?”
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Last edited by Hope Monaghan on Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

Before Penelope could get her answers....something started bursting it's way out of the afflicted cattle. A gruesome scene unfolds as creatures looking like oversized ticks emerged covered in gore, having chewed their way out of the deed steers and cows bringing bits and pieces of the animals' entrails with them as they do.

There are yelps and cries of alarm from the hands with some of them reaching for their six-shooters...

Note to Players

First off I need everyone to do a Spirit roll or suffer a -1 penalty to all Traits rolls for the rest of the encounter due to nausea.

Quick Persuasion wouldn't go amiss to stop some of the cowboys from firing their guns in the middle of a herd of cattle already on the far side of nervous due to the smell of blood.

The critters, despite their Hammer House appearance, actually pose little threat as they've eaten their fill and not gonna be looking for another meal until long after the herd has moved on. Stomping on the little blighters is a valid tactic, but requires a Spirit roll at -2 as the blood sacs burst and spray their contents up a character's leg!
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Spirit 5
Spirit 1d12!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Persuasion 9
Persuasion 1d10!!+2: [7]+2 = 9
Wild 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
Trail north of Denver
Afternoon
Round 0
Conditions:

Hope reeled back as the giant bugs ate their way out of the dead cattle. She crossed herself and cursed. “Don’t start shooting!” she yelled at the hands. “You’ll stampede the herd!” The disgusting things didn’t look to be attacking any more cattle, or the hands, just lazily crawling off.

“Start moving the herd out of the area,” Hope said. “Keep an eye out for any that start showing the same symptoms and cut them out toward the rear. Keep the herd calm.”
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

Spirit 4
Spirit 1d8!!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
"Gosh almighty!" Exclaimed Archibald, jumping back and keeping his sword pointed at the crimson cast critter. "What the devil is that thing?!"

"Yes, that sounds the most prudent course of action." He nods after hearing Hope's suggestion. "I dear say it appears to have eaten it's fill."

"You!" Archibald calls to one of the nearby cowboys. "Go and notify Mr Sutter and Mr Baxter."
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

Out in front, John stops and gets off his horse. He'd gone far enough and it was best that the herd catch up before the night drew in.

He sits down on a nearby rock, having hitched his horse and pulls out his harmonica. Until the herd or a rider catches up, he sits and plays.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

A rider come galloping over to @John Baxter, calling out as he draws near. "Ya wanted back at the herd! Some bugs started bursting out of some of the Longhorns!"

Sutter comes over to see what the fuss is all about, frowning as he lays eyes upon the scene. "Shoulda known my luck woulda run out."

"Ticks." He says with disgust before sighing. "It'll take days, time we can't really spare, to weed out the other afflicted beeves and they'll be dead soon enough."

"Best get the herd moving again, they'll settle once we're clear the smell o' blood."
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Trail north of Denver
Afternoon
Round 0
Conditions:

“You heard the boss,” Hope told the other cowboys. “Round up and move out. Keep an eye out for any more of these ticks. Cut them out of the heard and bring them to the rear. Is there a way to get rid of them, Mr. Sutter?” she asked. “Otherwise we’ll just have to quarantine them off. Are these safe to butcher? Might as well not leave good meat sitting out for the predators to follow.”
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Tashunka »

Tashunka wrinkles his nose at the display.

"Not the best luck I've ever seen on the trail, but far from the worst, either."

Acknowledging @Hope Monaghan's instructions, he keeps his eyes peeled for more signs of the ticks.
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

"The afflicted cattle appear to be part of the new additions from Denver." Archibald states. "I'd take a wild guess that they were already carrying the ticks before Mr Sutter acquired them."

"I say we go partially with Miss Hope's suggestion and quarantine the latest addition to the herd to be on the safe side."
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

stormwell wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:58 pm A rider come galloping over to John Baxter, calling out as he draws near. "Ya wanted back at the herd! Some bugs started bursting out of some of the Longhorns
John was alert instantly and leaps onto his horse as best you can with a damaged leg. Please let it not be that his stomach turns a bit as he contemplates if one of those creatures was here. They were deadly, but also, would he have to really explain what happened to Davey.

He races on his horse back to the herd and breathes a huge sigh of relief as Hope and Archie are okay. As it is explained what happened, he hops down and he looks over the body of the dead animal and its tracks, trying to see if there is anything in the way it was moving that might help figure out which other animals are infected.

Survival 1d8+2: [4]+2 = 6
Wild Dice 1d6+2: [4]+2 = 6
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

Sutter reluctantly agrees to Archibald's suggestion of separating the latest additions to the herd from the rest of the herd, a time consuming task that require the cattle being checked for what branding they bore. Thankfully, the branding is easier to spot than the minute signs of the ticks. After several hours' hard work, the cattle have been split into two smaller herds. In the end only three more Longhorns die due to ticks and they do so by the morning after the first outbreak.


As the herd move ever northwards, it transitions to mid-summer and with it the weather takes a turn for the milder. An added boon is a lessened threat of challenging river crossings, the South Platte River is easily forded as a stagecoach stop known as Latham Station. The way north to the Wyoming Territory seems clear, even the ongoing guerilla warfare that seems endemic in the Disputed Territories begins to lessen the farther north the herd travels.

After a few days travel through relatively gentle rolling terrain, without gunfire or stampedes, the earlier holiday feeling begins to return. However, Sutter breaks the news that the herd will pass close to the most well-guarded strongpoint of the Wasatch Railroad east of the City o’ Gloom—Camp Hades. Camp Hades is heavily armed, and rightly so. It guards the eastern entrance to the Plutonian Express, the vast tunnel running from the eastern slopes of the Rockies all the way to California!

Fortunately, the Overland Trail runs some distance west of the Wasatch encampment. Sutter believes this distance is sufficient to prevent any unwanted
entanglements with the various rail enforcers in the area. That doesn't stop you from spotting heavily armed gunmen briefly shadowing the herd from the high ground in the distance, thankfully they seem content with observing the herd and make no hostile actions towards it.

Tow days after crossing the South Platte River, there is a curious mechanical sound that steadily grows louder as it seemingly approaches the herd...

Note to Players
Feel free to describe what your characters get up to during the above, then make a Notice roll please.
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Notice (and Danger Sense) 2
Notice 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Trail north of Denver
Afternoon
Round 0
Conditions: Hot and sunny

Hope enjoyed the next week as the trail grew kinder and the weather grew more mild. She listened to Sutter warn them about Camp Hades, but she wondered what the railroad company would want with the herd, especially if they kept to themselves. Still, she kept her eyes open for trouble.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Tashunka »

Notice 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [3]+[4] = 7


Tashunka enjoys a few days in the saddle with open skies, good company, and no more exploding cattle. He takes the opportunity to catch up with @Sergio and to get to know @Hope Monaghan, @Archibald Ellsworth, and @John Baxter, amiably trading stories with all of them.
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

Notice 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
Wild 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3


Archibald spent the days dividing his time between being in Abby's company and regaling @Tashunka with his experiences of Africa, though he left out the darker thing's he'd encountered. Encouraged, he even said about life in England and in particular the area where he grew up.

"I say." He suddenly muttered, his glaze scanning the distant horizon. "That almost sounds like a train."
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Tashunka »

Tashunka, always happy to have the chance to learn something new, trades stories contentedly with @Archibald Ellsworth. Until they hear whatever that train sound is.
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

Notice 1d8: [6] = 6
Wild dice 1d6: [5] = 5

John, when with the main group instead of trailblazing, swaps stories about the Rail Wars. He saves some of the more gruesome stories, but does make it clear that trusting most of the Rail Companies

As they arrive near Camp Hades, John can't help but cross himself. He'd fought in the Rail Wars and seen what Wasatch could do to their foes. He didn't want that for the Sutter herd.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

The source of the noise soon becomes apparent as a Steam Wagon comes into view, churning across the rolling terrain towards the herd. The vehicle seems bulky and oddly-shaped and somehow ominously slow-moving. Clearly, it’s not a standard Smith & Robards catalog model.

Though you don't get much time to ponder the curious contraption as the Longhorns start becoming anxious of the approaching noise and Sutter gives orders for the contraption to be intercepted before it startles the herd.
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Trail north of Denver
Afternoon
Round 0
Conditions: Hot and sunny

“What in the devil is that thing?” Hope asked, reining Devil Eyes in and urging him toward the others. “It’s gonna spook the herd at this rate. Best see if we can get it to detour around.”

On Mr. Sutter’s orders, Hope headed out with the others to intercept the contraption. She pulled her hat off and tried to wave it down, her red hair glistening in the sunlight.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Tashunka »

Tashunka rides with @Hope Monaghan towards the oncoming train-thing, tensing for whatever might come next.
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

"It appears to be some sort of steam wagon." Archibald comments as the contraption draws closer. "Though not a design I've encountered before."

"I don't fancy our chances if whoever is controlling it proves to be the most disagreeable sort."
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

Jink! A steam wagon. That thing will have enough firepower to massacre the herd. John had dealt with Wasatch before and being this close to their base, this could be trouble.

John spurs his horse forward, moving at an angle, partly to intercept but to also flank the steam wagon in case it is not friendly.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

As the steam wagon draws closer you can see the reason for the contraption’s strange silhouette. The vehicle is heavily armored, with even the driver’s bench surrounded by steel plating. A Gatling gun is mounted behind the driver’s compartment—and manned. The gunner doesn’t exactly track you with the weapon but makes sure you always get an eyeful of the business end of the weapon’s barrels.

The steam wagon comes to a stop a short distance from you. A tall, thin man dressed in a long, steel-gray coat steps down from the passenger side. His gaze is now solely focused on you. The man marches determinedly over to you, all the while radiating the warmth and personality of a cold piece of steel. He looks at you dismissively before curtly speaking. "Emmerich, I work for Wasatch."

"It has come to my employer’s attention that you or one of your fellow…“cowboys” is in possession of property of an intellectual nature that belongs to the Wasatch Railroad."

"This property is of tremendous value to my employer and he would like it returned posthaste. Of course, the perceived value of the property warrants that I render adequate remuneration on his behalf for your efforts in seeing it safely here."
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Persuasion 11
Persuasion 1d12!!+2: [9]+2 = 11
Wild 1d6!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Trail north of Denver
Afternoon
Round 0
Conditions: Hot and sunny

Hope pulled Devil Eyes up as the steam wagon parked and a man dismounted. She didn’t like the look of that gatling gun.

“What item are you alleging that we have?” Hope asked. “We don’t know what you’re talking about. We’re just driving our herd through on the way north to Wyoming country. We aren’t looking for trouble, sir.”




Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

"I say dear fellow, the lady's right." Said Archibald. "I'm afraid we're at a loss as to what you're referring to."

"Captain Ellsworth, late of Her Majesty's Royal Engineers." Archibald announced. "You have my word as an officer and a gentleman that we do not, nor did we ever have whatever gizmo you presume to be in our possession."

"If you have the time perhaps we could conduct a search of everyone's effects to be sure eh?"
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

John keeps his finger on his rifle trigger as it sits across his saddle, ready just in case violence broke out. This is polite for Wasatch. If it was theirs, then they'd plough right through us to get it back. That Steam wagon would make mincemeat of a lot of us. He then considers when or where this information had made its way into their camp if it was truly there, then he remembers his confrontation before they left.

I wonder if that's what you were really there for

"Who told you we had this information? he calls out, "that might help us find what you are looking for quicker."

persuasion 1d6: [3] = 3
Wild dice 1d6: [6] = 6
explosion 1d6+6: [6]+6 = 12
explosion 1d6+12: [3]+12 = 15
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

Emmerich seems exasperated at the responses he's received, though with a frustrated sigh he explains a little more.

"The exact nature of said property is not something I am at liberty to discuss. However, a…courier in our employ was en route to deliver this property when he ran afoul of US Army interdiction forces in the vicinity of Roswell, New Mexico. Other sources have informed us that the army did not recover our property."

"The same sources have also provided that this herd—the “Lazy S”, correct?—and its crew were the only others in the vicinity at that time. Again, we would appreciate the return of our property. Failure to do so would not be looked upon favorably, of course."
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Tashunka »

Tashunka listens and tries not to wrinkle his nose. New Mexico. It's been a while since I was there. He had not left on the very best of terms.

He opts to stay silent a moment and let the others speak; it is his sad experience that white folks get antsy when one of the people speaks to them.
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

Persuasion 1d6: [6] = 6 explodin 1d6+6: [4]+6 = 10
wild dice 1d6: [4] = 4

A light goes in John's head as he realises what is being discussed; hours of captivity in a US Stockade for a crime they didn't commit tends to stick in the memory. At least they didn't have to escape and flee to California.

He sighs loudly, head sinking for a moment, as he remembers trying to stash the papers. The fact they hadn't frisked Hope meant he'd have been better giving them to her, but it was better they didn't have them.

Still, that meant the man they had found, shot out of the air had been one of theirs; an employee of Wasatch and those documents had been stolen from the US Army, probably to stop them figuring out how they are made.

He coughs to get the man's attention.

"I was there for the incident to which you refer. We spotted what appeared to be a shooting star hitting the ground near the herd. A few of us went to investigate, found what was left of a man and a rocket pack. The US Army was on us in seconds and confiscated everything. Not sure what your man said, but we don't have whatever it is you are looking."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Trail north of Denver
Afternoon
Round 0
Conditions: Hot and sunny

“Oh. That’s what you mean?” Hope asked. “That was a long way from here, nearly a month ago. We saw your rocketman fall out of the sky, but like John said, we don’t have your thing. There was just a bunch of papers that none of us could make anything out of. But we didn’t want any trouble with the Army. They said it was their stuff, so we were happy to let them have it.”
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

Emmerich's jaw clenched as he listened, a furious anger growing inside of him until it seemed he was about to explode in a fit of rage. Abruptly, without a word, he turned and climbed back into the waiting steam wagon. With a hiss of steam, the machine started moving and rumbled away. Though the gatling gun remained trained on you until the contraption was a good way aways.

Despite the encounter being over, somehow you get the feeling that it may not be the last you see of Emmerich.



The herd continues on until nightfall at which point it halts and you camp down for the night and tend to various chores before turning in. Things remain uneventful until around midnight....

Note to Players
I need Notice rolls from each of you, though with a -2 penalty if your character has gone to sleep.

Success means you hear the snorts and moos of frightened cattle on the western edge of the herd, about half a mile away.
User avatar
Punchy
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:42 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Punchy »

Just as Emmerich leaves earshot, a Cockney, baritone voice speaks: “Lad’s a right army-tom.” The voice belongs to Punchy, one of the recent hires from Denver. Punchy is seldom seen, but sometimes heard. Someone polite might call him direct, but he seems well-meaning somewhere under his prickly persona.

Somewhere.

Punchy does not wait for Emmerich to leave sight. He turns his back after a few seconds and returns to help with the herd.

Punchy is a small, wiry figure. A beige flatcap is tucked low on his brow, with scraggly black hair pushing out on all sides. Between the cap and his jutting jawline, his brown eyes seem small and beady. Punchy's nose is not worth mentioning, beyond being broken many, many, many times. He seems incapable of growing a beard, and keeps it tightly trimmed. Punchy often wears a black, unbuttoned vest over a white loose-fitting shirt, paired with brown slacks and sandals. His appearance is largely a distraction from the precision with which he carries out any given task, and his athletic physique.

—-

Punchy tends to a campfire, using the limited light to whittle a small wooden statuette.

If anyone hangs around at the fire, Punchy asks,”Wot was that Emmerich fella goin’ on about?”

Roll:
OOC Comments
Notice 1d4!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Dice rolls
Notice 1d4!: [3] = 3
Backpack & Worn:
  • Short, Shoes, Trousers, Flatcap
  • Gun belt, holster
  • Colt Rainmaker, 30 bullets
  • 2x Lockpicks, concealed in vest
  • 5x Knives
  • Box of Matches
  • 6x Dynamite Bundles (two sticks each)
Punchy typically rides with boots, duster, and chaps, but otherwise avoids wearing them when not required.

---
GingerGiant, of GingerGiant#6877 fame.

Characters
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Notice 7
Notice 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Trail north of Denver
Night
Round 0
Conditions: Warm

Hope sipped her coffee. It was getting cold. She yawned a bit and looked around, guessing it was around midnight.

”Wot was that Emmerich fella goin’ on about?” one of the new hands, Punchy, asked.

Hope shrugged. “They lost somethin’,” she said. “Some plans o’ some kind. Sounds like we ran across their courier down south. Saw a man with a rocket pack crash inta the brush. Saw a bunch of papers with strange drawin’s on ‘em scattered about, an’ some Confederate cash. Then the Army showed up an’ confiscated everything,” she filled him in. “I don’t think he liked out answer, though.”

Hope stood and stretched in the firelight, several of the men pausing to watch the light dance off her female figure, taking in the way the trail clothes clung to her curves. “Guess it’s about time ta turn in. Sun comes early.”

Then Hope paused and tilted her head, tossing her braided hair off her shoulder. “You hear that?” she asked. “Sounds like somethin’ has the cattle spooked on the western edge of the herd,” she said, turning and grabbing her hat. “We should check it out.” She strapped on her gun belt and grabbed her shotgun and rifle, too, then walked toward the picket line where their horses were kept. She gave a slight whistle, and one horse responded back. Devil Eyes had been picketed a bit away from the other horses, as he tended to bite them when he didn’t get his way.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Punchy
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:42 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Punchy »

Hope Monaghan wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:40 amThen Hope paused and tilted her head, tossing her braided hair off her shoulder. “You hear that?” she asked. “Sounds like somethin’ has the cattle spooked on the western edge of the herd,” she said, turning and grabbing her hat. “We should check it out.”
Punchy perks up at her call, and sets down what appears to be a small wooden dragon. He grabs his backpack and follows with a gruff, "Right, ma'am." He throws on his belt and gun as he runs, and stows the carving knife in his boot. He wasn't sure what worried her, but knew better than to ask questions when others were concerned.

- - -
Character Tracker
Montponch 'Punchy' Dupui Character Sheet
Pace: 6; Parry: 7; Toughness: 5
Power Points: 15
Powers: Boost Trait, Burrow, Deflection, Smite, Speed
Weapons: Unarmed (Range Melee, Damage Str+d6, +2 to Hit), Knives 5, Colt Rainmaker 6/30 (12/24/48, 2d6), Dynamite 6 (4/8/12, 2d6+2)
Edges/Hindrances:
  • Grim Servant 'O Death: +1 damage on all attacks, Critical Failures harm allies.
  • Arcane Background (Chi Master): Punchy's powers are limited to self or touch.
  • Surgical Precision (aka Assassin): +2 damage against vulnerable targets, or with The Drop.
  • Celestial Kung Fu: Can combine the effects of two stances at a time.
  • Stances: Mantis makes enemies vulnerable when they miss in melee; Drunken Style imposes -2 to hit Punchy, and -2 to Punchy's Pace
  • Martial Artist + Warrior: Punchy hits with a d6 unarmed, and has +2 to hit unarmed
  • (Improved) Counterattack: Can attack foes up to 3 times each round when they miss Punchy in melee.
Backpack & Worn:
  • Short, Shoes, Trousers, Flatcap
  • Gun belt, holster
  • Colt Rainmaker, 30 bullets
  • 2x Lockpicks, concealed in vest
  • 5x Knives
  • Box of Matches
  • 6x Dynamite Bundles (two sticks each)
Punchy typically rides with boots, duster, and chaps, but otherwise avoids wearing them when not required.

---
GingerGiant, of GingerGiant#6877 fame.

Characters
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

Notice 7
Notice 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
Archibald, who had bedded down beside Abigail, was on his feet with sword in hand before he was fully awake. As the camp roused in response to the startled cries of cattle, Archibald took stock of the situation and helped impose some sort of order amongst the ranch hands ready in case they came under attack. Thankfully, the camp remained relatively peaceful.

"I say, that sounds like trouble." He began saying. "You don't suppose this is the work of that Wasatch lot?"
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

notice 1d8: [5] = 5

John keeps his eyes on them as they leave, finger resting on the trigger of his rifle until they are gone. He follows them a short distance to make sure no ambush was planned.

"No sooner do we get rid of one bout of trouble than another comes along like a train on her tracks."

He settles down early in order to take a watch later on, waking just before trouble breaks loose.
Archibald Ellsworth wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:32 pm "I say, that sounds like trouble." He began saying. "You don't suppose this is the work of that Wasatch lot?"
"Let's hope not." John snatches up his hat and pulls his pistol out, rifle on his back, "hate to face that steam wagon in the dark."

He follows behind Hope and Punchy, keeping an eye out as he lights a log from the fire as a torch.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

Arriving at the site of the commotion you find a number of Longhorns dead with large holes in their sides, not unlike the ticks encounter you have previously. However, something doesn't quite match up as you study the remains....

Note to Players
Roll either Healing or Notice at -2, success reveals that the wounds were caused by an outside trauma.

A Survival roll at -2 reveals small indentations in the dirt all around the dead cattle.
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Looking at Longhorns 2
Healing 1d4!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Notice 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Trail north of Denver
Night
Round 0
Conditions: Warm

Hope knelt down and inspected the dead longhorns they found, waving over a lantern. “Looks like what those ticks did to the others,” she mused. She moved out of the way so others could look.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

Survival 4
Notice 10
Tracking 7

OOC Comments
Survival 1d8: [4] = 4
wild dice 1d6: [3] = 3
notice 1d8-2: [8]-2 = 6 exploding dice 1d8!+6: [4]+6 = 10
wild dice 1d6-2: [4]-2 = 2
Survival (tracking) 1d8!+2: [3]+2 = 5
wild dice 1d6!+2: [5]+2 = 7
As Hope moves out of the way, John bends down to examine the steer carcasses. He reaches out and touches the wound and immediately begins scanning around the ground, quickly spotting the the small tracks on the ground.

"It's not the same. The Steers were attacked and killed."

John shoves the torch into Punchy's hand and begins looking around on the floor. rifle ready.

"Keep that light so I can see the ground proper. Whatever did this is small." Let's hope its not one of those things again,
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
Punchy
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:42 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Punchy »

Punchy hesitantly receives the torch, swearing silently to himself before offering a small counsel:

”Mate, I have two objections to carrying this torch, and one big one, though I’ll continue to carry it if you insist.

One. I’d like to get the drop on whatever killed the cattle.
Two. I’ve got twelve sticks of dynamite in my backpack.”


With the torch in hand, Punchy peers over the cattle.
Notice
Notice 1d4-2!: [3]-2 = 1 Wild 1d6-2!: [4]-2 = 2
- - -
Character Tracker
Montponch 'Punchy' Dupui Character Sheet
Pace: 6; Parry: 7; Toughness: 5
Power Points: 15
Powers: Boost Trait, Burrow, Deflection, Smite, Speed
Weapons: Unarmed (Range Melee, Damage Str+d6, +2 to Hit), Knives 5, Colt Rainmaker 6/30 (12/24/48, 2d6), Dynamite 6 (4/8/12, 2d6+2)
Edges/Hindrances:
  • Grim Servant 'O Death: +1 damage on all attacks, Critical Failures harm allies.
  • Arcane Background (Chi Master): Punchy's powers are limited to self or touch.
  • Surgical Precision (aka Assassin): +2 damage against vulnerable targets, or with The Drop.
  • Celestial Kung Fu: Can combine the effects of two stances at a time.
  • Stances: Mantis makes enemies vulnerable when they miss in melee; Drunken Style imposes -2 to hit Punchy, and -2 to Punchy's Pace
  • Martial Artist + Warrior: Punchy hits with a d6 unarmed, and has +2 to hit unarmed
  • (Improved) Counterattack: Can attack foes up to 3 times each round when they miss Punchy in melee.
Backpack & Worn:
  • Short, Shoes, Trousers, Flatcap
  • Gun belt, holster
  • Colt Rainmaker, 30 bullets
  • 2x Lockpicks, concealed in vest
  • 5x Knives
  • Box of Matches
  • 6x Dynamite Bundles (two sticks each)
Punchy typically rides with boots, duster, and chaps, but otherwise avoids wearing them when not required.

---
GingerGiant, of GingerGiant#6877 fame.

Characters
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

Notice 5
Notice 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5

"I say...." Began Archibald, sword to to hand as he examined the dead steers and kept a wary eye on the surrounding darkness. "...This is rather disconcerting."

"That is..." He added, this time speaking to @Punchy. "A questionable amount of explosives that anyone should be carrying on their persons!"

"I feel inquiring as to why they are in your procession would only lead to uncomfortable answers...."
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

There is suddenly the sound of another group of beehives causing a ruckus, seemingly not far from your location. As you rush to the sounds you find the animals being attacked by three-foot-tall, eight-legged, mechanical horrors. The clockwork tarantulas don’t seem to take notice of your arrival, instead they focus on spraying jets of acid at the Longhorns.
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Cast Boost Vigor on everyone 8 Raise; Everyone gets 2 die steps to Vigor (and +2 Toughness)
6 PP
Faith 1d10: [8] = 8
Wild 1d6: [4] = 4
Trail north of Denver
Night
Round 0
Conditions: Warm

“What in the Lord’s name…?” Hope exclaimed, pulling up short as she saw the mechanical spider things attacking the herd. “Is this those Wasatch boys?” she asked angrily, ratcheting her shotgun as she touched the silver cross necklace she wore. She started a prayer.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***

Boost Vigor (Raise)(everyone)(5r): +2 die types Vigor (and +2 Toughness) d12
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 15/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
Punchy
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:42 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Punchy »

I've been looking forward to this.

Without hesitating, Punchy rolls his pack off his shoulders, plants the torch in the ground, and crouches in a low stance. He raises his hands defensively, and as his fingers curl like talons, heat shimmers around them. Punchy breathes deeply and dashes forward, leaving only a whisper, "Crush 'em."

Actions & Movement
(Free Action) Punchy uses Celestial Kung Fu to combine Mantis and Dragon (a.k.a. Eagle Claw) Styles.
(Move + Action)Punchy moves adjacent to the nearest spider, and attempts to get the Drop.
Stealth 1d8!: [7] = 7
Stealth (Wild) 1d6!: [1] = 1

Punchy (probably) gets the drop, and attacks the spider with his unarmed attack. I'll adjust final numbers pending Notice roll from the spiders.
Fighting 1d10!+6: [5]+6 = 11
Fighting (Wild) 1d6!+6: [6!, 2]+6 = 14

Punchy rolls 2d6 for unarmed attacks, plus 4 for the Drop and 2 for Assassin. "Eagle Claw" grants Punchy AP 4 on his unarmed attacks.
Damage 2d6+6: [6, 1]+6 = 13 I forgot to include damage from Grim Servant o' Death. Add one more +1, for a total of 7 additional damage.
Further description pending results.

Garbage Collection
Bogus Roll: Stealth 1d8: [3] = 3 , forgot to add the bang so it would explode.
- - -
Character Tracker
Montponch 'Punchy' Dupui Character Sheet
Pace: 6; Parry: 7; Toughness: 7 (5+2)
Power Points: 15
Powers: Boost Trait, Burrow, Deflection, Smite, Speed
Weapons: Unarmed (Range Melee, Damage Str+d6, +2 to Hit), Knives 5, Colt Rainmaker 6/30 (12/24/48, 2d6), Dynamite 6 (4/8/12, 2d6+2)
Edges/Hindrances:
  • Grim Servant 'O Death: +1 damage on all attacks, Critical Failures harm allies.
  • Arcane Background (Chi Master): Punchy's powers are limited to self or touch.
  • Surgical Precision (aka Assassin): +2 damage against vulnerable targets, or with The Drop.
  • Celestial Kung Fu: Can combine the effects of two stances at a time.
  • Stances: Mantis makes enemies vulnerable when they miss in melee; Drunken Style imposes -2 to hit Punchy, and -2 to Punchy's Pace; Eagle Claw gives AP 4
  • Martial Artist + Warrior: Punchy hits with a d6 unarmed, and has +2 to hit unarmed
  • (Improved) Counterattack: Can attack foes up to 3 times each round when they miss Punchy in melee.
Backpack & Worn:
  • Short, Shoes, Trousers, Flatcap
  • Gun belt, holster
  • Colt Rainmaker, 30 bullets
  • 2x Lockpicks, concealed in vest
  • 5x Knives
  • Box of Matches
  • 6x Dynamite Bundles (two sticks each)
Punchy typically rides with boots, duster, and chaps, but otherwise avoids wearing them when not required.

---
GingerGiant, of GingerGiant#6877 fame.

Characters
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

"I believe it's academic where these mechanical monstrosities came forth from." Replied Archibald as he drew his sword. "We ought to stop them before they destroy the entire herd!"

"Aim for the leg joints, should be the weakest part of the whole contraption!" He added before swinging with his sword.

Actions
Battle as Support roll (Inspire Edge).

Battle 1d6!!-2: [9!!]-2 = 7
Wild 1d6!!-2: [11!!]-2 = 9

+2 to Shooting for @John Baxter and @Tashunka.

Fighting 1d10!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3

Bennie

Fighting 1d10!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

Hope Monaghan wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:00 am “What in the Lord’s name…?” Hope exclaimed, pulling up short as she saw the mechanical spider things attacking the herd. “Is this those Wasatch boys?” she asked angrily, ratcheting her shotgun as she touched the silver cross necklace she wore. She started a prayer.
"More than likely," John chambers a round in his winchester rifle, "if you can do anything to prevent the cattle from stampeding, we might need it."
Emboldened by Archie, John opens fire on one of the spiders, aiming for where he thinks they are weakest.

Shooting 5 damage 20 AP
OOC Comments
Shooting 1d10+2: [1]+2 = 3 wild dice 1d6+2: [3]+2 = 5
damage 2d8: [5, 8] = 13 AP2 damage raise 13+1d8: [7] = 7
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
Tashunka
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Tashunka »

Shooting 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [6]+[5] = 11 +2 = 8
Damage 2d8 + 1d6: [6, 8]+[3] = 17 AP 2


Tashunka stays astride his horse as he follows the others, and he takes quick and careful aim at the nearest of the monstrosities before firing with his winchester.

"When I tell people to have open minds about what they might find on the trail, this is not what I usually mean!"
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

Initiative
Archibald: King of Hearts
Baxter: Jack of Clubs
GM: Ten of Spades
Tashunka: Eight of Spades
Punchy: Six of Clubs
Hope: Four of Clubs

The three mechanical arachnids engaged by @John Baxter, @Punchy and @Tashunka respectively explode in bursts of acid. What's left of the remains is dissolved by the corrosive toxin the contraptions had contained within and had been using on the cattle.

Both John and Tashunka get charged by two more of the machines whilst the one Archibald fails to land a blow on turns and attempts to strike him back!

GM's Actions
Attack on Archibald 1d8!!: [4] = 4

Spray Attack on John 1d8!!-4: [5]-4 = 1

Spray Attack on Tashunka 1d8!!-4: [5]-4 = 1
By design, or fate, the attacks of the clockwork curios prove to be somewhat lacklustre.
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Lower Shooting 9; Raise lowers their shooting die by 2; channeling saves a PP
Aimed at 2 shooter spiders; 3 PP
Faith 1d10!!: [9] = 9
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Trail north of Denver
Night
Round 0
Conditions: Warm

Thankfully it looked like these mechanical contraptions fell easily to bullets. That acid looked nasty, however.

“Keep it up, boys,” Hope said, focusing her attention on the two that had stayed back to spray acid. She murmured another prayer, and the acid in the shooters of two of the spiders started to gunk up and slowly eat at the inner workings.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***

Boost Vigor (Raise)(everyone)(4r): +2 die types Vigor (and +2 Toughness) d12
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 8/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Channeling: Raise on a Faith roll makes spell cost 1 point less.
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by John Baxter »

John is able to hold the mechanical thing at bay using his rifle butt before flipping it over to fire point blank

shooting 1d10: [7] = 7
wild dice 1d6: [1] = 1

damage 2d8: [3, 1] = 4
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969
User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Archibald Ellsworth »

Frustrated by his efforts so far, Archibald tries striking with his sword once again. This time, after putting all his effort into it, the blow struck true.

Fighting 15, Damage 10
Fighting 1d10!!: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5

Bennie

Fighting 1d10!!: [15!!] = 15
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Damage 3d6!!: [3, 4, 3] = 10
Main Account: stormwell
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by stormwell »

GM's Actions
Unshake 1d4!!+2: [2]+2 = 4

Fighting Attack on John 1d8!!: [6] = 6
Damage 1d6!!+1d4!!: [2]+[2] = 4

Fighting Attack on Tashunka 1d8!!: [5] = 5
Damage 1d6!!+1d4!!: [8!!]+[5!!] = 13
1 Wound, takes 2d4 damage at start of next turn if still Shaken or Wounded.
The clockwork spider by Archibald's sword attack collapsed into a pile of mechanical junk before then being dissolved by the acid contained within it's metal body. It's surviving comrades fare better as the one hit by Baxter manages to rally but fails to land a solid blow in return, the one facing Tashunka manages to get past the Sioux's defence and deal a nasty wound that is smoking slightly from the acid.

Two clockwork tarantulas left, facing Baxter and Tashunka respectively.
User avatar
Punchy
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:42 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Punchy »

In the darkness, Punchy's silhouette straightens as he contemplates what he sees. These tincans are no good to us if we can't rub it in Wasatch's face.Maybe I can pull a leg off before it dissolves.
Actions & Movement
Punchy will attempt two actions this turn. He moves to engage the spider attacking Baxter, and if he's able to kill it, he'll try to rip off a leg or something before it can dissolve in the acid.

Please subtract two from the Fighting rolls below for MAP
Fighting 1d10!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Wild (Fighting) 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Damage 2d6!!+1: [2, 1]+1 = 4

Punchy attempts to rip off a leg, given the chance.
Thievery 1d10!!-6: [7]-6 = 1
- - -
Character Tracker
Montponch 'Punchy' Dupui Character Sheet
Pace: 6; Parry: 7; Toughness: 7 (5+2)
Power Points: 15
Powers: Boost Trait, Burrow, Deflection, Smite, Speed
Weapons: Unarmed (Range Melee, Damage Str+d6, +2 to Hit), Knives 5, Colt Rainmaker 6/30 (12/24/48, 2d6), Dynamite 6 (4/8/12, 2d6+2)
Edges/Hindrances:
  • Grim Servant 'O Death: +1 damage on all attacks, Critical Failures harm allies.
  • Arcane Background (Chi Master): Punchy's powers are limited to self or touch.
  • Surgical Precision (aka Assassin): +2 damage against vulnerable targets, or with The Drop.
  • Celestial Kung Fu: Can combine the effects of two stances at a time.
  • Stances: Mantis makes enemies vulnerable when they miss in melee; Drunken Style imposes -2 to hit Punchy, and -2 to Punchy's Pace; Eagle Claw gives AP 4
  • Martial Artist + Warrior: Punchy hits with a d6 unarmed, and has +2 to hit unarmed
  • (Improved) Counterattack: Can attack foes up to 3 times each round when they miss Punchy in melee.
Backpack & Worn:
  • Short, Shoes, Trousers, Flatcap
  • Gun belt, holster
  • Colt Rainmaker, 30 bullets
  • 2x Lockpicks, concealed in vest
  • 5x Knives
  • Box of Matches
  • 6x Dynamite Bundles (two sticks each)
Punchy typically rides with boots, duster, and chaps, but otherwise avoids wearing them when not required.

---
GingerGiant, of GingerGiant#6877 fame.

Characters
User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Change o' Plans

Post by Hope Monaghan »

Shooting 8 Raise; Damage 14
+2 shotgun
Shooting 1d8!!+2: [6]+2 = 8
Wild 1d6!!+2: [4]+2 = 6
Damage 1d6!!: [3] = 3 + 3d6!!: [1, 5, 5] = 11
Trail north of Denver
Night
Round 3
Conditions: Warm

Hope raised her shotgun up and fired at the spider attacking Tashunka.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
6 tomahawks
$36 (Confederate)
$1,250
$400 gold dust
1 bow
10 arrows
***

Boost Vigor (Raise)(everyone)(3r): +2 die types Vigor (and +2 Toughness) d12
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Power Points: 8/15
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 47); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Empathy, Healing
Encumbrance: 112.75/140
Edges
  • Channeling: Raise on a Faith roll makes spell cost 1 point less.
  • Danger Sense: Notice +2 in a Surprise round. Notice –2 if no Notice roll allowed.
  • Guts: Free Spirit reroll vs Fear
  • Healer: +2 to all healing rolls (including magic).
  • Holy Warrior: Add +1 to the total of a final Soak roll for each Power Point spent, to a maximum of +4.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.
Post Reply

Return to “Adventure Forum”