Eye of the Storm

User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Eye of the Storm

Post by Tribe of One »

Gamil wrote: "Phil, what happens to those of the court that lose their physical form? Any chance that their spirits remain in the place that they die?"
Phil lowers his eyes and shakes his head.

"When killed by violence, the fae folk simply cease to be. It is one of the reasons the lords of the Courts avoid outright war against each other -- with ages behind us and ages ahead, only the jaded and or the mad would risk existence as easily as mortals do."
Gamil looks back at Willowfrond, "Anything we can do to help her heal and recover?"

"I am a healer," Kaya says. "Though I've never tended to one of the Fair Folk."

"I might have a herb or two that'll help."
Phil looks as if he's about to object, then stops and nods. With spidersilk and some of the herbs from her bag, Kaya wraps Willowfrond's torn wings, soothing the pain somewhat. As she finishes, Lelya moves forward and wraps the battered pixie in her cloak.
“This was my mother’s and always carries the fire of my family’s hearth. May it warm you.”
Willowfrond is overcome by the kindness, and weeps softly. Catching a tear in each palm, she reaches out to the two young women, grasping each by the hand.

"Thank you, you tender things. May your hearts light the dark in that place. And maybe my tears can provide a bit of pixie luck, should you need it."

[Kaya and Lelya each gain a Benny.]

Phil nods again in thanks, then ushers the group out of the grove.

Walking swiftly, he leads the way back toward the magical toran that brought you here. And though you swear the wildwood portal was the same one you passed through previously, you find yourself on an entirely different winding stair, ice-covered branches brushing against your shoulders in place of the fire-hued leaves that shaded the earlier path.

e8de368f49c85cc287ce1f132994f7d5.jpg
Phil listens quietly as the group discusses possible strategies, nodding here and there.

His brow furrows into a frown when talk turns to burning or starving out Thurnbarch and his minions.

"Fire could be a useful tool, though less so if Thurnbarch is able to bring the Cold Woman's magic to bear. Might be he could stop the flames from spreading too far. And you'll need to be mindful of time -- if he's got a larder filled, your kin will be frozen and the Winter King on the march by the time he's hungry enough to venture out."

The korred pulls at his beard thoughtfully. "Not sure what would lure the ratmen out of their hole. But you might be better confronting Thurnbarch below, where he has less room to maneuver. In the open air, he can grow as large as he likes, bounding around the battlefield bringing slaughter. Inside, well, he can't swell larger than the hall will hold, and he'll be slowed mightily if he puffs himself too near to that."

Phil shivers, and you notice the air has grown colder. "He's not the sort you want to encounter in a narrow hole in the ground, that's sure, but above, on a battlefield, he's been known to grow tall as a giant and carve furrows in the ground that sprouted crops the next year, watered by all the blood that was spilled."

Any chance to respond to that is lost as Phil announces your arrival. You realize, belatedly, that the stair has disappeared behind you. Stepping through another toran, you are bombarded by howling wind and snow.

Shouting to be heard over the storm, Phil waves you on.

"We're close now. The eye of the storm is only about 30 paces on. Count your steps and don't wander and you should find it soon enough. I'm afraid I can't accompany you -- any farther, and Thurnbarch is likely to sense my presence as he did the pixies. I'll be here -- when the storm settles, I'll know you've succeeded and I'll come to you then."

Left unsaid is what happens if you don't.

Prodding with his staff if needed, he points the way and watches as you lean into the storm.

You fear you may freeze as soon as he drops out of your sight, but as promised, 30 paces farther on the wind drops off abruptly and the flurry of snow clears ahead of you. In the calm eye of the storm, a ruined tower rises between the trees before you. Ice and snow cover the worn stones, and you can see that little remains of the tower's interior. As you approach, you can see shadowed opening on the lower level, a dark threshold leading into the ruins below.

1a97f9fa7cfd483f8a345d7ea7feffba.jpg

Go ahead and make a Vigor check against the Cold. The roll is -2 if you don't have a heavy winter cloak/clothing. Failure gives you a level of Fatigue. However, once within the eye of the storm you can easily build a fire among the tumbled stones, allowing anyone that needs to to warm up and remove Fatigue levels at double the normal rate (so 1 every half hour).

Otherwise, make plans and take action outside as you wish. If/when you decide to head below, we'll use the Exploration rules I outlined here. That means designating a leader/caller (Vesper is probably the default, based on how things have played out) and letting me know where your character will be in the marching order: scout (at the front), vanguard (in the middle) or rear-guard.

In addition, whoever is in possession of the brass compass:
Now that you've emerged from the realm of the Autumn King and back into the "real world," the brass compass you discovered in the shepherd's cave seems to hum slightly in your pocket. When you take it out, you notice that the needle of the compass, which earlier had pointed 15 or 20 degrees east of true north, now points south-southeast, back out into the storm and toward the wintry gloom of the Weald.
GM Bennies: 8/8
User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

When they left the hollow with the pixie, Gamil had discovered that the chill had not effected him much. Curious about the reason why, as many of the village youth shivered in the cold, Gamil started examining his gear for an explanation.

He inspected each piece of his equipment, until he came across the Shroud of Vecna.

Environmental Protection
, he curses under his breath. "Well that explains a lot. Should likely expect more of that in the future."

Touching the rune just below his neck, a rouch cut snowflake inside a circle, he channels out the effects.

"Hopefully this should help you all till we get somepace warmer."
Weird Science (Rune Casting) 1d8!!: [5] = 5 Wild 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7 PPE 2 Base + 6 Others other than Gamil
Last edited by Gamil on Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

Vigor 4
Vigor 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Kaya gasps in surprise at the sudden snowstorm, though she is still thankful for the winter clothes she'd grabbed before they left the village. Trudging through the deep snow and battling the howling wind every step of the way, she is glad when the eye of the storm is finally reached and calmness descends once more.

"So our options are limited." Kaya says out loud once everyone had made it through. "Perhaps we ought to sneak in and see what things we can turn to our advantage?"
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Vigor 15
-2 difficulty
Vigor 1d8!!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Wild 1d6!!-2: [17!!]-2 = 15
Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys listened to Phil as they emerged into the howling blizzard. She ducked into her hood and turned her back to the wind as she listened, but braved the cold.

“Thank you for getting us here, Phil,” Vesper said.

There was a humming in Vesper’s belt pouch, and she pulled out the old broken compass. It now pointed southwest, back out into the storm and the weald. “Curious,” she mused.

“Does anyone need to rest?” Vesper asked. “We can build a fire. Otherwise we should go on.”

“I agree with scouting ahead, seeing what might await us,” Vesper said. “I am not the sneakiest person,” she admitted, “but I can cover you from behind,” she offered.

[Vesper will take rearguard]
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5c ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Lelya Spriggins
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Lelya Spriggins »

Vigor vs the cold 12
Vigor: d10-2( gave her winter coat to the pixie) 1d10! 1d6!: [10!, 4]+[4] = 18 = total 14-2=12
Lelya Spriggins accepted the tear with great humility. She placed the tear in her breast pocket beneath her leather armor. Against the cold she looked out of place having given her cloak to someone more in need. But if anything she stood taller than normal against the frosty chill. There was a job to be done and armed with her father’s sword, and enchanted shield she would see it done through the strength of her friends.

During the respite she nodded warmly at the dwarve. “Thank you for the warmth master Gamil. We should move on least the magic of your enchantment fade. If no other will take the forward position, I can handle it. If not Perhaps I would best suited to the mid, that way I can easily move to the rear of fore as needed.”

While not super sneaky or observant she was no slouch. Plus if something was going to strike unexpected she would rather it be against herself than any others.

Interesting to note: she is now size one... Perhaps it was the tear or something she ate with the pixies?
Stats

Agility d10, Str d8, Vigor d10, Spirit d8, Smarts d6
Toughness:7+1=8
Toughness with leathers: 10(2)
Pace:6
User avatar
Halt
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Halt »

Tribe of One wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:02 pm "Thank you, you tender things. May your hearts light the dark in that place."
Halt makes no effort to to hide a derisive snort at the sentimental metaphor.

When they arrive, Halt immediately starts carefully scouting around the the grounds of the tower. Just because the Fey said there was only one entrance, doesn't mean that there actually is only one entrance. Halt doesnt know much about Fey, but from what he has heard, they shouldnt always be taken at their word.
Vespernys du Lac wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:32 am “Does anyone need to rest?” Vesper asked. “We can build a fire. Otherwise we should go on.”
"It would be best to head in as soon as we can. The longer we stay, the more likely they are to notice our presence. Rats are nocturnal, so we will probably have an advantage to head in while its still daytime."

Vespernys du Lac wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:32 am “I agree with scouting ahead, seeing what might await us,” Vesper said. “I am not the sneakiest person,” she admitted, “but I can cover you from behind,” she offered.
"I'll scout ahead. We wont be in the woods like I am used to, but I should be able to pass unseen. If nothing else, I've got a kind of a supernatural ability to sense when something is off"

[Halt will scout]
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 4/ 3
+1 from Layna joker (2/26)

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation
Danger Sense: +2 to notice for surprise. Notice at -2 to detect hazard

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature
User avatar
Layna
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Layna »

Seeing as Halt volunteered to take the lead, Layna falls to the rear of the party, keeping her eyes and ears open for anything that might try to sneak up on them.

She doesn’t have much to add to the discussion, other than a quick, ”Okay, let’s go, then.”

[rear guard]
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5, 6 w/staff; Toughness: 7(2)
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: The Eye of the Storm

Post by Tribe of One »

With Gamil's rune magic shielding you from the worst of the cold, you take a few moments the examine the outside of the ruins and ice-covered doorway leading into darkness.

The fallen tower proves to be just as empty as it did on first sight and you find no other entrances in the crumbling ruins.

Even within the eye of the storm, chaotic breezes carry a dusting of snow, which drifts in thick piles near the entrance and obscure any recent signs of passage. Here and there, you spot dark patches of pink and crimson ice which you suspect to be frozen blood. The howling wind blocks out any sound coming from within, but you catch the occasional whiff of dust, rot and animal musk on the warmer air that issues forth from the passage. Anyone attuned to the arcane can sense the flow of elemental magic seeping out from below to power the storm.

As the wind whistles at your back, you take the first few steps inside, pausing to let your eyes adjust; the wintry light at your back illuminates the nearest rooms well enough, but the dim glow won't follow you far underground.

Map1.JPG
Leaves and crumbling stone are piled up haphazardly just inside the entrance, and a stone passageway splits off to the right immediately, extending farther than the meager light from outside can reach. Despite the shadows, you can make out several sets of clawed prints in the dust, consistent with the rat-men the pixie described.

Ahead, two openings beckon, the doors that might once have blocked passage long since lost in the splintered mess of rubbish on the floor.

The doorway to the west might have once been a cloak room, judging from the sagging remains of wooden racks that rise from the pile of decayed cloth and rotting wood on the floor. If anyone disturbs the pile, a bedraggled rat -- of the common, four-legged variety -- emerges, screeching in protest, before burrowing back into a safer corner. A few rusty and broken swords can be spotted in the debris, as well as a pair of just barely serviceable daggers hanging from a rat-chewed belt, but nothing of value is obvious from a cursory search.

The eastern passage leads into an area furnished like a sitting room. Time has been kinder to the furnishings here, which include a pair of stuffed chairs upholstered in thick hide and a small couch, arranged around a low wooden table. All are scratched and covered in a thick layer of dust, but more or less intact. There is, however, a sharp, bitter odor in the air -- one that reminds you of a smoldering fire or a recently extinguished match.

One object in the room stands out from the rest: on the table is an old, yellowed skull, painted with strange symbols in fading ink. Atop the skull is a black tallow candle. The wax at the base of the candle appears to have been melted to mount it on the skull, but the wick is fresh and unlit.

Additional rooms extend to the north and east of the sitting room, but you can make out little detail in the fading light. The acrid smell seems to be stronger to the east; to the north, the stench of an animal den dominates.

Feel free to describe your actions as you inspect the initial area, and include any appropriate rolls (Notice to search, etc.). When you're ready to move on, Vesper can call the direction and Halt can make a Stealth roll for the group (which might be modified based on the amount of time you spend searching and how noisy you get ...).

You'll also need some sort of light source if you don't want to be stumbling around in the dark as you progress deeper inside.
GM Bennies: 8/8
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Notice 9
Notice 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys peered into the dimly lit room, taking in the cloak room and sitting room. “Anyone have a spare hand?” she asked. “We’re going to need light.” Vesper pulled a torch off her back. She only had one. She dug out her flint and steel and lit the torch. She lifted it high to illuminate the room as they looked around. She drew her father’s longsword. She couldn’t use her bow if she had to carry the torch.

Vesper moved to the center of the room by the table to examine the skull. “Gamil, you know runes. What do you make of this? And Janelle. You do magic. What do you think?”

As the magically inclined studied the skull, Vesper scanned the room.

Torch (3600 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

Notice 7
Notice 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
Wild 1d6!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
"I can take a torch." Kaya replies. "Least it won't be blinding everyone in the lead."

Kaya also glanced round the room, trying to spy anything that stood out to her.
User avatar
Layna
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Layna »

Layna, undeterred, grabs the knives and their rat-chewed belt and throws them across her body like a bandolier.

She does her best to keep quiet as she moves.
Stealth 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [1]+[3] = 4
Benny Stealth 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [5]+[1] = 6
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5, 6 w/staff; Toughness: 7(2)
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet
User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

OOC Comments
Starting PP: 15
Starting Bennies: 3/3
Casting Light (1 PP base; Mobile +1)
Let There Be Light 1d10!!: [5] = 5
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9
Raise! Light is cast upon her Runesword, and can be kept either as an LBT globe or a 5" long beam
Current PP: 13
Arcane Runes 1d8!!: [3] = 3
Wild Occult 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Benny to Reroll:
Reroll Runes 1d8!!: [6] = 6
Wild Occult Reroll 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Success!

Jaenelle, in the center of the group, tries (less than perfectly) to hide her pleasure at being asked for her opinion. She nods. "As you say, m'lady, I do magic. May I suggest we keep everyone's hands free, for now? If Kaya needs to bandage one of us up, we'll want her to be able to move freely." With that, she gestures over her runesword's blade, calling upon the Light Eternal; the room is immediately lit up as if it were noon.

Then, she steps over to the table, letting her magical light play over the runes, studying them to see if she can determine the candle's purpose.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

“Thank you,” Vespernys told Kaya when the woman volunteered to hold the torch. She handed it over to Kaya. “Now I can use my bow.” Vesper slid her sword back into its sheath and strung her bow instead, pulling an arrow and nocking it, though not pulling the string yet, keeping her eyes peeled.

Torch (Kaya)(3599 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Halt
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Halt »

notice (if needed)
Notice 1d8!: [8!, 4] = 12
Wild 1d6!: [6!, 6!, 3] = 15
As the other prepare items to light their journey into the dark, halt makes a point to avert his eyes. Best not to ruin his visions ability to discern the shadows ahead of them.

Upon entering the room, sees little of interest to him. Watching for any sign of danger, he makes his way to the northern entrance. Slowly he pokes his head around and into the hallway to see if there is anything nearby that might overhear their party.


If he sees nothing he speaks softly back to the group.

"That pixie thing said they got ambushed when trying to make an escape. We should probably make sure there is nothing behind us in case we need to do the same. This way smells like a rat den to me."
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 4/ 3
+1 from Layna joker (2/26)

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation
Danger Sense: +2 to notice for surprise. Notice at -2 to detect hazard

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Tribe of One »

Scanning the entryway, both Vesper and Halt note that, while the prints running into the eastern corridor note a fair amount of rat-folk traffic there, the sitting room appears undisturbed, as if avoided by vermin (of the two-legged as well as four-legged sort) altogether.

The scent of musk is strong to the north, indicating a fair few of the creatures must lair there. Given the time of day, it's possible they're asleep in their nests even now, but if so the sound is muffled as much as the darkness obscures sight.

Meanwhile, Halt notes that the scent of smoke to the east is from more than a cookfire -- it has the smell of burned plaster and old wooden beams, as if a fire burned out of control there in the relatively recent past.

Jaenelle's examination of the rune-covered skull offers a clue as to why the rat-folk might avoid the area. The sigils painted on the skull are flush with necromantic power, of the sort that could anchor a dead soul to the mortal realm. The candle, meanwhile, is most likely a tool for calling forth the bound spirit, requiring only a spark to unleash that power.
GM Bennies: 8/8
User avatar
Lelya Spriggins
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Lelya Spriggins »

Always partial to swords Lelya breaks away from the group to take a look at the discarded swords. “Shine some light over here will ya?”
Notice 5
Notice 1d6! 1d6!: [5]+[4] = 9
Stats

Agility d10, Str d8, Vigor d10, Spirit d8, Smarts d6
Toughness:7+1=8
Toughness with leathers: 10(2)
Pace:6
User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

"M'lady, this skull permits communing with the dead--there is a soul bound to it, and lighting the candle would permit us to speak with it. If it is truly the reason the ratfolk avoid this chamber and leave it unguarded, then perhaps the spirit is hostile to them, and we might gain useful information by speaking to it. Alternately, it could be a generally malevolent entity, in which case calling it up would be risky, though I might be able to drive it off, again, in need." Jaenelle waits for Vesper's decision on the matter before taking any specific action.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys turned her attention to the skull when Jaenelle reported on it. “Let’s not go looking for more trouble,” she said. “Pack it away. Take it with us. We can deal with the spirit at some other time, when it is safer. And if the rat-folk are scared of it, perhaps we can use that to our benefity, as well,” she instructed the Tender.

Vesper looked to the north and stopped by Halt. “If the rat-folk are that way, and perhaps asleep during the day, would this be a good time to take them out? Before we head down and confront Thurnbach?” she quietly asked. “Can you sneak down there and look, see what we are dealing with?”

Torch (held by Kaya)(3598 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Tribe of One »

Lelya Spriggins wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:05 pm Always partial to swords Lelya breaks away from the group to take a look at the discarded swords. “Shine some light over here will ya?”
After seeing Layna pull a brace of rusty but serviceable daggers from the refuse in the cloakroom, Lelya does a bit of digging of her own. Sadly, the longer blades are all broken and rusted to the point of uselessness, but the hilt of one catches her eye -- wrapped around the rotten leather grip is gold ring that has somehow defied the tarnish and deterioration of the rest of the weapon. In fact, as Lelya examines the hilt, the sword's pommel breaks off, allowing her to easily slip the ring off the hilt to take it with her. Inscribed on the inside of the ring is a short phrase in what might be Elvish.

Simple success with Academics or Occult, or a Raise with Common Knowledge (if you don't speak the language)
The inscription says simply, I answer
Vespernys du Lac wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:29 am Vespernys turned her attention to the skull when Jaenelle reported on it. “Let’s not go looking for more trouble,” she said. “Pack it away. Take it with us. We can deal with the spirit at some other time, when it is safer. And if the rat-folk are scared of it, perhaps we can use that to our benefity, as well,” she instructed the Tender.
Jaenelle (or anyone else who intends to follow Vesper's instruction) can make an Occult check at -2 or a Notice check at -4.

Success
Moving the skull would be a very bad idea. The enchantment anchoring the spirit to the skull is very old, and the vessel has decayed under its power. Disturbing it could cause the spell to collapse in chaotic and potentially destructive fashion, as well as ruining whatever chance there is of activating it as intended.
Vespernys du Lac wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:29 am Vesper looked to the north and stopped by Halt. “If the rat-folk are that way, and perhaps asleep during the day, would this be a good time to take them out? Before we head down and confront Thurnbach?” she quietly asked. “Can you sneak down there and look, see what we are dealing with?”
If Halt wants to scout ahead, just give me Stealth and Notice rolls.
GM Bennies: 8/8
User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

OOC Comments
Occulty1d8!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild Occult 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Benny to Reroll
Occult Re-roll 1d8!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild Occult Reroll 1d8!!-2: [4]-2 = 2

Meh, screw it, hit me with the failure.
Jaenelle does her best to mask her disappointment at the lost opportunity to display her skill, then nods. "As you say, m'lady." She starts to figure out the best way to remove the skull from its current position.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown
User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

Jaenelle wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:47 pm"As you say, m'lady, I do magic. May I suggest we keep everyone's hands free, for now? If Kaya needs to bandage one of us up, we'll want her to be able to move freely."
Kaya nodded her thanks. "That's reasonable."

Hearing Vespernys speak about the skull, Kaya turns her attention to it for a moment and tries to
Occult 1d4!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
. Though she gleams nothing from it.
User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: The Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

Tribe of One wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:58 pm With Gamil's rune magic shielding you from the worst of the cold, you take a few moments the examine the outside of the ruins and ice-covered doorway leading into darkness.

The fallen tower proves to be just as empty as it did on first sight and you find no other entrances in the crumbling ruins.

Even within the eye of the storm, chaotic breezes carry a dusting of snow, which drifts in thick piles near the entrance and obscure any recent signs of passage. Here and there, you spot dark patches of pink and crimson ice which you suspect to be frozen blood. The howling wind blocks out any sound coming from within, but you catch the occasional whiff of dust, rot and animal musk on the warmer air that issues forth from the passage. Anyone attuned to the arcane can sense the flow of elemental magic seeping out from below to power the storm.

As the wind whistles at your back, you take the first few steps inside, pausing to let your eyes adjust; the wintry light at your back illuminates the nearest rooms well enough, but the dim glow won't follow you far underground.


Map1.JPG

Leaves and crumbling stone are piled up haphazardly just inside the entrance, and a stone passageway splits off to the right immediately, extending farther than the meager light from outside can reach. Despite the shadows, you can make out several sets of clawed prints in the dust, consistent with the rat-men the pixie described.

Ahead, two openings beckon, the doors that might once have blocked passage long since lost in the splintered mess of rubbish on the floor.

The doorway to the west might have once been a cloak room, judging from the sagging remains of wooden racks that rise from the pile of decayed cloth and rotting wood on the floor. If anyone disturbs the pile, a bedraggled rat -- of the common, four-legged variety -- emerges, screeching in protest, before burrowing back into a safer corner. A few rusty and broken swords can be spotted in the debris, as well as a pair of just barely serviceable daggers hanging from a rat-chewed belt, but nothing of value is obvious from a cursory search.

The eastern passage leads into an area furnished like a sitting room. Time has been kinder to the furnishings here, which include a pair of stuffed chairs upholstered in thick hide and a small couch, arranged around a low wooden table. All are scratched and covered in a thick layer of dust, but more or less intact. There is, however, a sharp, bitter odor in the air -- one that reminds you of a smoldering fire or a recently extinguished match.

One object in the room stands out from the rest: on the table is an old, yellowed skull, painted with strange symbols in fading ink. Atop the skull is a black tallow candle. The wax at the base of the candle appears to have been melted to mount it on the skull, but the wick is fresh and unlit.

Additional rooms extend to the north and east of the sitting room, but you can make out little detail in the fading light. The acrid smell seems to be stronger to the east; to the north, the stench of an animal den dominates.

Feel free to describe your actions as you inspect the initial area, and include any appropriate rolls (Notice to search, etc.). When you're ready to move on, Vesper can call the direction and Halt can make a Stealth roll for the group (which might be modified based on the amount of time you spend searching and how noisy you get ...).

You'll also need some sort of light source if you don't want to be stumbling around in the dark as you progress deeper inside.
Gamil rather instinctively motions to Vesper and the others that he would rather be in the front or the back of the group as his vision is effected by light in dark places.

He does however scrutinize the area. Squinting his right eye (Eye of Vecna - Detect Arcana) he does a sweep of their surroundings.

Wondering if there might be
Notice 1d4!!: [1] = 1 Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
he does his best at searching without the magic. Blind as a bat, Gamil follows the group forward into the ruins.
User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

Tribe of One wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:44 pm
Lelya Spriggins wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:05 pm Always partial to swords Lelya breaks away from the group to take a look at the discarded swords. “Shine some light over here will ya?”
After seeing Layna pull a brace of rusty but serviceable daggers from the refuse in the cloakroom, Lelya does a bit of digging of her own. Sadly, the longer blades are all broken and rusted to the point of uselessness, but the hilt of one catches her eye -- wrapped around the rotten leather grip is gold ring that has somehow defied the tarnish and deterioration of the rest of the weapon. In fact, as Lelya examines the hilt, the sword's pommel breaks off, allowing her to easily slip the ring off the hilt to take it with her. Inscribed on the inside of the ring is a short phrase in what might be Elvish.

Simple success with Academics or Occult, or a Raise with Common Knowledge (if you don't speak the language)
The inscription says simply, I answer
"
Academics 1d8!!: [4] = 4 Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
."

As Layna holds the ring in her hand, Gamil notices the inscription. " 'I answer.' "

"Interesting inscription. In Elvish no less."

Tribe of One wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:44 pm
Vespernys du Lac wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:29 am Vespernys turned her attention to the skull when Jaenelle reported on it. “Let’s not go looking for more trouble,” she said. “Pack it away. Take it with us. We can deal with the spirit at some other time, when it is safer. And if the rat-folk are scared of it, perhaps we can use that to our benefity, as well,” she instructed the Tender.
Jaenelle (or anyone else who intends to follow Vesper's instruction) can make an Occult check at -2 or a Notice check at -4.

Success
Moving the skull would be a very bad idea. The enchantment anchoring the spirit to the skull is very old, and the vessel has decayed under its power. Disturbing it could cause the spell to collapse in chaotic and potentially destructive fashion, as well as ruining whatever chance there is of activating it as intended.
Vespernys du Lac wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:29 am Vesper looked to the north and stopped by Halt. “If the rat-folk are that way, and perhaps asleep during the day, would this be a good time to take them out? Before we head down and confront Thurnbach?” she quietly asked. “Can you sneak down there and look, see what we are dealing with?”
If Halt wants to scout ahead, just give me Stealth and Notice rolls.
Gamil is accustomed to old things and runes generally fall into that classification.
OOC Comments
Though those negatives are likely to make Gamil look like an idiot and a fool.

Notice 1d4!!-4: [5!!]-4 = 1 Wild 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0

"Best to leave the past alone. If the ratmen avoided this place, it was for a good reason. We should likely do the same, at least in regards to something that well inscribed."
User avatar
Halt
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Halt »

Vespernys du Lac wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:29 am Vesper looked to the north and stopped by Halt. “If the rat-folk are that way, and perhaps asleep during the day, would this be a good time to take them out? Before we head down and confront Thurnbach?” she quietly asked. “Can you sneak down there and look, see what we are dealing with?”
"I can certainly try. Light is going to be the tricky part though. I need enough to see by but not enough to wake the ratmen. I'll need someone to follow behind me with a torch.

Halt turns to @Layna "You seem to be the least incompetent when it comes to avoiding notice. Grab the torch from our resident gypsy over there and follow behind me 50 paces or so."

After a moment of no response he adds a falsely sweet "if you please"
Stealth 5
Stealth 1d10!: [5] = 5
Wild 1d6!: [3] = 3
Notice 4
Notice 1d8!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!: [3] = 3
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 4/ 3
+1 from Layna joker (2/26)

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation
Danger Sense: +2 to notice for surprise. Notice at -2 to detect hazard

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature
User avatar
Layna
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Layna »

Layna snorts at @Halt and then chuckles quietly. "Yeah, yeah. One minute there, big guy."

First, she takes a long look at the skull, her curiosity getting the best of her.

Notice 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [1]+[3] = 4
Benny Notice 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [6]+[5] = 11 -4 for scene, +2 for alertness =4


"Wait!" Layna holds up her hand. "No, don't move it. Look, there, see that?" She points at an inscription on the skull. "Now, I don't know much about magic, but my da showed me some of the marks that the carpenters use in their work, and that looks an awful lot like the mark for "connect". If we move it from that spot, who knows what that thing might do? I say we leave it where it lies."

Then, turning to follow Halt, Layna makes her way forward as quietly as she can, keeping her eyes peeled.

Scouting Notice 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [2]+[5] = 7 +2 = 7
Scouting Stealth 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [2]+[2] = 4
Benny Stealth 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [7]+[3] = 10
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5, 6 w/staff; Toughness: 7(2)
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: BtW WIP Posts

Post by Tribe of One »

Layna's word of warning about the skull likely averts disaster -- now that it's pointed out, Jaenelle notices that the runes that cover the skull have grown frayed and unstable. Physically moving it would have caused the enchantment to collapse entirely, with potentially explosive results. If the group decides not to call on the spirit bound to the skull, best to leave it undisturbed.

As the others huddle in the torch-lit study, Halt and Layna creep forward into the room to the north, which opens up into what once might have been a hall or other large gathering place. Now, the shadows flicker over looming heaps of broken furniture and other refuse which, judging by the animal-like smell and faint sounds of breathing, serve as nests for the resident rat-folk.

Based on the whistling snores and chirps coming from the largest pile of debris, Halt estimates there might be as many as seven or eight of the vermin asleep in the central heap. Smaller mounds in the northwest and southeast corners of the room likely contain several more. To the northeast and southwest, darkened passages lead farther into the ruin.

Map2.JPG

With a path across the floor more or less clear, Halt believes he could lead the group to the southwest hallway without disturbing the rats. Alternatively, the group could use the creatures' slumber as an opportunity to strike the first blow, either with an ambush or a fire as discussed earlier.

Let me know how you want to proceed. If you want to move along quietly, a Stealth check at -2 from Halt (with support rolls from anyone who'd like to make one) will do it. Otherwise, we'll likely handle it as a Quick Encounter, with modifiers/success thresholds based on your approach.
GM Bennies: 8/8
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys considered as she studied the room with the rat folk. “Does anyone have anything that can take out a massive amount of them at once?” she asked in a whisper. “If not, we will have to hope we can sneak by. Any magic...fireballs or anything?”

Torch (held by Layna)(3596 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Lelya Spriggins
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Lelya Spriggins »

Lelya looked at @Vespernys du Lac with determination on her face. Her hand gripped her father’s sword and sheild. She whispered, “Lets get those rats. Halt, remember when we were younger and broke into Nana Haders larder?” Lelya quietly mimics various bends, skips, and climbing maneuvers required to apperently get into the treasure trove of food. Clearly none of it was appropriate to sneaking, but at least she was trying.
Athletics for Support, 1d8! 1d6!: [1]+[2] = 3
Stats

Agility d10, Str d8, Vigor d10, Spirit d8, Smarts d6
Toughness:7+1=8
Toughness with leathers: 10(2)
Pace:6
User avatar
Halt
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Halt »

Halt looks sideways at Lelya prancing around, but otherwise says nothing

She makes it too easy. Takes half the fun out of it...

"I don't like the idea of leaving these things at our backs. Whatever happens farther in, it will probably get loud enough to wake these up, and then we will have to fight our way out. Unless we really think we can free this 'cold woman' without a fight - unlinkely since this ThornBark guy probably has the key to a cage or something on him - I think this is going to be the best odds we are going to get. That said, I'll go along with whatever you decide Vesper."
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 4/ 3
+1 from Layna joker (2/26)

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation
Danger Sense: +2 to notice for surprise. Notice at -2 to detect hazard

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature
User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

"Agreed." Nodded Kaya. "We're gonna have to deal with them somehow."

"Perhaps scare them, even smoke them out with fire, to get them to flee?"
User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

Jaenelle shakes her head, also speaking softly. "Giving them a chance to run is giving them a chance to return. Best we deal with this... Efficiently.". She draws a line across her throat to emphasize her meaning.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown
User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

Gamil pulls his his Runed Heirloom Great Axe from his back. He begins manuevering the double blades and soon has the weapon converted. "
Oath of Droam (Burst - Damage Modifier - Lingering Modifier)
?"

Before lighting anything on fire, he pats the Runed Authoritative Rod on his belt, "I can then
Elemental Manipulation - Fire
whereever we need them."
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys considered the situation and nodded. “Halt. Pull back,” she instructed. “Let’s see if we can’t contain the fight to this doorway so that their numbers will work to our advantage, limit their access to us. Swordsmen in the front, archers and mages in the rear. Gamil, drop the fire on the largest concentration of the ratfolk, get as many as you can. After that, try and spread the fire to cut them off, limit the numbers further that can get to us in the doorway. The more we can make them into smaller groups, the easier to deal with.”

Vesper was a bit surprised at herself. Who would have known listening in to her father’s and uncle’s military talk would have been of use to her.

Torch (held by Layna)(3595 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

Gamil nods towards @Vespernys du Lac and
From the "southern" doorway, Gamil goes four squares "west" and two squares "north". He lines up his "spell to spread a cone from the center pile to the "southeast" corner pile.
, careful not to step on any moving objects, like tails or randomly twitching paws.

Weird Science 11, Success, Raise
Oath of Droam
Burst - Damage Modifier - Lingering Damage
Weird Science 1d8!!: [2] = 2 Wild 1d6!!: [11!!] = 11
Burst Fire Damage 4d6!!: [2, 11!!, 11!!, 10!!] = 34
Waiting on Elemental Manipulation and Burrow
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: BtW WIP Posts

Post by Tribe of One »

Map3.JPG
After the brief discussion, Halt and Layna pull back to the study and make room for Gamil to move into the shadowed chamber that may once have been a great hall but now houses a warren of slumbering ratfolk. Moving carefully, he positions himself to the west of the largest nest, then points his reconfigured axe and activates the magic within.

The resulting gout of flame engulfs the piles of ancient wood and rotting cloth in spectacular fashion. Hot as dragonfire, the blaze almost explodes as it devours the nests and their occupants in a flash, too quickly for most to even scream. Those of you still in the study feel a rush of chill wind as the fire sucks air from the adjoining hallways. Black smoke fills the hall and forces you to duck to avoid it.

Ratfolk1.png
Ratfolk1.png (105.16 KiB) Viewed 3378 times

A few ratfolk do emerge from the smaller, surrounding nests, shrieking in surprise that quickly turns to rage. Retrieving crude spears and cruel swords from their dens, they snarl and advance on Gamil, who has fire and smoke to contend with, as well.

The cacophony has alerted ratfolk elsewhere in the ruins, as well. Within seconds, a trio of ratfolk come charging toward the study from the unexplored area to the east -- one of them a hulking brute nearly as large as an ogre, scarred lips bared in a snarl as he barrels forward wielding a pair of spike maces.

RatfolkChamp.png
RatfolkChamp.png (122.36 KiB) Viewed 3378 times



Time for a Quick Combat!

We'll handle this as a modified Quick Encounter. Each player may roll an appropriate combat skill (Athletics for throwing, Fighting, Shooting, or an Arcane skill if using magic). Each success will kill a normal ratfolk -- a Raise will kill two -- but the ratfolk champion can only be defeated with a Raise.

In this encounter, you'll need to specify which part of the fight you'll take part in:

The Burning Warrens/Great Hall
  • Successes needed: Four, one for each ratfolk
  • Modifiers: The smoke and flames impose a -1 penalty to all rolls

The Study/East Hall
  • Successes needed: Two successes to kill the ratfolk, plus a Raise to kill the champion
  • Modifiers: None. However, if the champion isn't killed, a random PC involved in the fight will take 1d3 Wounds (which can be soaked as normal).


Risk of Injury
Regardless of success or failure, each character risks injury during the fight -- how much depends on how you approach the fight.
  • Full Defense: Staying out of harm's way is your priority. You suffer a -2 penalty to your Quick Combat roll, but take no damage if successful. On a failure, you suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises.
  • Cautious: You fight carefully, but don't hold back. On a failure, you take a Wound, which can be Soaked as usual. With a success, you only suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises, and on a Raise you emerge unscathed.
  • Fast and Furious: You attack like a wild berserker. You gain a +2 to your Quick Combat roll. On a failure, you suffer 1d4 Wounds, or 1 Wound with a success (Wounds can be Soaked normally). With a Raise, you suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises instead.


Resource Use
If using Athletics (Throwing), Shooting or an arcane skill for your Quick Combat roll, you'll also use up resources, depending on how you approached the battle.
  • Full Defense: You use 1d2 Power Points (if attacking with magic) or pieces of ammunition (if using Athletics or Shooting).
  • Cautious: You use 1d3 Power Points (if attacking with magic) or pieces of ammunition (if using Athletics or Shooting).
  • Fast and Furious: You use 1d4 Power Points (if attacking with magic) or pieces of ammunition (if using Athletics or Shooting).
GM Bennies: 8/8
User avatar
Lelya Spriggins
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Lelya Spriggins »

Study East Hall, Fast and Furious using fighting total 17, Killed Champ
: d10+2 (sword gives +1 also). 1d10! 1d6!: [10!, 4]+[2] = 16
Sometimes you have to Fight. When you draw your blade make it fast and furious.

Her father’s words quietly rolled in her mind as she saw the scene unfold. She had barely enough time to pocket the ring she had found when roused by the flame a trio of rats approached from the East Hall. Like her one was big and brawny. Her blade was clenched in her hand and her buckler gripped in the other. Shadow danced mircelessly cast on the tunnel walls thanks to the fire. She cried tumbling and bounding over the garbage toward the trio yelling, “Arrghhh, We are Hirstwall!” In the end, blood dripped from her blade and bodies littered the ground, maybe one or two rats in the east hall were just left alive enough for someone else to finish them off, but the big brawny one... Leyla kicked its severed head further down the hall as a warning. She rubbed her face with her off hand wondering if she had strained her self yelling. Her cheek was bruised but nothing was broken. She turned to see how her friends were fairing, particularly Halt and not just because he carried her platinum piece. If I have to die, I am glad it is with friends.

1 lvl fatigue bumps and bruises.
Stats

Agility d10, Str d8, Vigor d10, Spirit d8, Smarts d6
Toughness:7+1=8
Toughness with leathers: 10(2)
Pace:6
User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

Call it instinct or knowledge that there are enemies about, Gamil is certain that he is outnumbered. Still
Risk of Injury - Cautious
, he drops his right hand down to grasp the Rod of Vecna (Elemental Manipulation).

Eyeing the conflaguration of the center pile, he wonders for a moment why he was never able to get more than a matchstick flame from the old ax before. Oh well, giving a slight shrug, he raises his right hand holding the Rod and touching the runes inscribed. Pointing at the bonfire he summons forth
Scene Modifier -1 (not added into the die roll) Weird Science 1d8!!: [13!!] = 13 Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
.

The power courses from Gamil, through the Rod, and into the bonfire. The power coalesces into a ball of flame the size of a man's head and continues to grow, until it is about
Resource Use - Fast and Furious - PPE 1d4: [3] = 3
. Gamil is hardpressed to hide his amazement and then remembers the pile of refuse in the NorthWest Corner. With the Rod he keeps the Fireball level and watches as the smoke and ash are consumed around it. With a flick of his wrist he sends the flaming orb into the corner.
User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

Great Hall, Cautious Fighting 4
Fighting 1d6!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-1: [3]-1 = 2

Bennie

Fighting 1d6!!-1: [5]-1 = 4
Wild 1d6!!-1: [5]-1 = 4

Fatigue; Bumps and Bruises
Kaya drew her rapier and stood grim-faced as she waited to see whether anything had survived Gimli's explosive opening attack. It appeared that a couple of the rat creatures had survived and rushed the intruders to their domain. She managed to parry, and then skewer one of the creatures with her rapier but left herself vulnerable to it's fellow who blindsided her. Thankfully the blow wasn't a heavy one for it left her winded rather than actually hurt.
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys cringed as Gamil walked into the room, against her orders, but she couldn’t fault the results of his fireball as the heated air swept her brown hair back in a rush. She hadn’t expected the giant ratman from the other room, however! She spun, pulling her bow, torn between protecting Gamil and the new threat, but Lelya was already on it, hacking and slashing the great beastman and his companions with that sword of hers, taking them out single handed.

Vesper turned back to cover Gamil, only to find that the dwarf had taken out another three of the remaining ratfolk, leaving one that Kaya stabbed through with her rapier. Vesper blinked in the smoky air. There didn’t appear to be any of the ratfolk left standing. She eased the tension out of her bowstring and replaced the arrow in her quiver.

“Um...good job, everyone,” Vesper said, coughing a bit from the smoke. She was a bit disoriented as time seemed to speed back up to normal from the slow speed of the fight, only to realize it had taken very little time to end the fight. “Is everyone okay? Anyone hurt?”

Torch (held by Layna)(3594 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

Raise, F&F, East room clear
East Room:
Fighting: 1d6, TMW+1, Fast and Furious +2
Fighting 1d6+3: [3]+3 = 6
Wild Fighting 1d6+3: [2]+3 = 5
Last Benny:
Fighting Re-Roll 1d6+3: [3]+3 = 6
Wild Fighting Re-Roll 1d6+3: [5]+3 = 8
B&B Fatigue -1

Jaenelle blinks in surprise as the dwarf moves forward and ignites the conflagration. I meant we should be quiet and slit their throats... right, no subtlety next time.

With the conflict underway, she moves to follow Leyla; as the woman lays into the deformed champion, Jaenelle moves to intercept the lesser ratfolk who attempt to swarm around her. She takes up Leyla's manner, launching herself at the beastial foes with reckless abandon. They go down before her blade, though she finds herself exhausted by the exertion.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown
User avatar
Halt
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Halt »

Shooting 1d8!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!: [3] = 3

Bennie
Shooting 1d8!: [7] = 7
Wild 1d6!: [3] = 3

Elan +2 make 9 the final result
Like many of the others, Gamil's fire took Halt by surprise. By the time he had unhooked his bow and knocked an arrow, smoke had filled the central chamber. Unsure of his shot, and unwilling to risk shooting the other Halt waited patiently.

Just as the smoke started to clear and the others breathing a sigh of relief, one of the smaller junk piles shook slightly. A savage ratma jumped from the pile, eyes fixed firmly on Family, who faced the other direction. Halt loosed his arrow and took the creature squarely in the throat.

Next time Halt is around the dwarf, he mentions softly "Let us finished weighing the options before you make the decisions that put us all at risk, or next time, I'll loose only after the enemy is done licking your blood from it's claws."

Halt walks to vesper without waiting for or heeding whatever response Gamil gives.

"Where to next @Vespernys du Lac? Choose quick, as we probably attracted some unwanted attention with that bonfire"
Last edited by Halt on Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 4/ 3
+1 from Layna joker (2/26)

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation
Danger Sense: +2 to notice for surprise. Notice at -2 to detect hazard

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature
User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

"Better to surprise the enemy than be surprised by them."

"Every sure move or action we make, is one less confident move or action our enemy can make against us."

"Put the enemy on the defensive. Make them react to us."

Gamil re-hangs the Rod on his belt, disengages the firing mechanism on his Great Axe and straps that to his back. He taps his gauntlets and the six inch long digging claws extend on both.

"I can explore my way." Gamil points to the ground near the base of the bonfire.

Gamil stares into the fire, "One thing for sure, nobody will be able to smell us behind that burning dung heap."
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: BtW WIP Posts

Post by Tribe of One »

Amid the smoke and fire in the former great hall, a handful of ratfolk scramble from their nests and move to attack, but win themselves no more than a few seconds of extra life.

Pulling fire from the nearby blaze, Gamil flings the burning orb at the two nearest attackers and incinerates them. Kaya and Halt back him up, impaling two more ratfolk on blades and arrows.

Back in the ruined parlor, Lelya wastes no time charging the slavering ratfolk champion to the east, neatly disemboweling the overgrown brute while Jaenelle follows close behind, cutting down the champion's lesser brethren.

Other than bruises and some heavy breathing, the group is unscathed as the smoke clears.

Map4.JPG

The smoldering wood and other refuse in the great hall continues to crack and sizzle, but you hear no other sound of movement or immediate reaction to the battle. Ash and the remains of the fire make it difficult to make out whether anything valuable might have been stored in the nests of the ratmen [Notice checks are at -2 in the great hall] but the smoke is quickly drawn out, at least.

Jaenelle and Lelya, meanwhile, find themselves in what appears to have been a study, adjoining the parlor where the ensorceled skull sits. A large oak desk sits in one corner, next to a sturdy chair covered ragged, moth-eaten cloth. On the desk is a large, opened book, the pages yellow with age and covered in dust. A faded bookmark lies across the top page, as if marking a particular passage.

Along the north wall are sagging bookshelves, holding moldering books of all shapes and sizes. An old, tarnished suit of plate armor sags on a broken stand in another corner. The rug underfoot is stained with blood and riddled with the tracks of ratfolk.

To the south, the magelight from Jaenelle's blade illuminates the remains of a decaying, ruined library. Crudely-bound bundles of letters and impressive volumes covered in dyed leather line the shelves, but all appear to have fallen victim to time and weather: some have partially crumbled to dust, others are covered with mold and moss, while still others are strewn on the floor, appearing to have been ripped to pieces on purpose.

To the east, a large and drafty stone-flagged room appears to have been a dining hall. A small table is set for just two, with dishes that are ancient and cracked and goblets and cutlery of tarnished silver. More battered glassware is piled in a sagging cabinet nearby. A crack in the ceiling allows a chill wind from outside to swirl in, dusting the room with flakes of dirty snow. The smell of stale smoke from an older fire is stronger here, and you can see ash mixed with the snow near the passage leading from the dining hall to the north.


Let me know what you intend to do next and include appropriate rolls -- Notice for searching, etc. You have several options when you intend to move on, with passages to the west and northeast from the great hall, as well as the north and east of the dining room.

For those who sustained Bumps and Bruises, a full 24 hours is needed to recover naturally, but a successful Healing check can relieve the pain, as well.
GM Bennies: 8/8
User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

Gamil does his best to
Notice 1d4!!-2: [9!!]-2 = 7 Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
.

Gamil Squints his right eye and
Distance 10, No PPE,
Weird Science 1d8!!: [4] = 4 Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
as well.
User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

OOC Comments
Notice for examining the book:
Notice 1d8!!-1: [2]-1 = 1
Wild Notice 1d6!!-1: [2]-1 = 1

Okay, that settles it--Jaenelle is more of a 'slit their throats with a magic sword' type of wizard.

Jaenelle moves swiftly to the desk to examine the open book, on two fronts--first, she wants to see if she can read the writing, especially the passage that was bookmarked, and secondly, to see if she can attempt to carefully close the book and bring it along for safekeeping and further study, later.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Notice 3
Notice 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys wandered through the cleared rooms, checking on her people. She had a first aid kit, but no training in how to use it, but offered it nonetheless. There seemed to be a plethora of routes to explore.

Vesper gathered the others together in the parlor. “We have a lot of ground to cover. Let’s split up into pairs, someone sneaky with someone...not so much.” She put herself in that category. “The sneaky person will scout ahead. The less sneaky will stay about twenty feet (4-5”) behind to provide backup. We’ll search down each of these halls. Don’t go any further than the next intersection or open door, then come back here and report. If you have a closed door, check if it’s locked, maybe take a peak, if you feel safe. We’re looking for stairs down. If you run into trouble, give a call and we’ll come. Fall back to here until you get reinforcements. Everyone understand?” Vesper asked.

Then Vesper started giving out assignments. “Halt and I will take the west passage out of the great hall,” she said. “We already know of an intersection there, so I will post up at the intersection while Halt explores west, then he’ll come back to explore south.

“Layna, take Jaenelle and explore down the east hallway off of the dining room. Layna take point. Be careful.

“Lelya, take Gamil and explore the northeast hallway off the great hall. Lelya will be on point, and Gamil will back her up.

“Kaya, take Neil. You’re on point. You’ll explore the hallway north out of the dining room. I expect it will meet up with Lelya and Gamil’s hall, so you’ll hopefully be in a strong central position. You’ll also be closest to back up Layna and Jaenelle.

“We’ll reunite back here in ten minutes to share what we’ve found, if someone doesn’t call for help.

“Any questions?”
OOC Comments
Okay, everyone. Let’s Scooby Doo this! :)
Torch (held by Layna)(3593 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

"Sounds a good a plan as any." Kaya nods. "Though if anyone is injured, I believe I may have a herb that will help."

Still feeling a little winded herself, Kaya tends to her own needs and helps out the rest of the party best she can before moving with Neil to check out the hallway to the north.

Healing 5, Notice 11
Healing 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Wild 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5

Notice 1d6!!+2: [9!!]+2 = 11
Wild 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
User avatar
Layna
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Layna »

Vespernys du Lac wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:47 pm
“Layna, take Jaenelle and explore down the east hallway off of the dining room. Layna take point. Be careful.

“Any questions?”
OOC Comments
Okay, everyone. Let’s Scooby Doo this! :)
Layna nods in agreement. "Sounds like a plan to me. Here, @Jaenelle, will you take the torch, please? It will be a little easier for me to go unseen without it, and if you aren't too far away it can still give me light."

Notice 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [7]+[2] = 9

Stealth 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [5]+[5] = 10


Layna stalks quietly forward, knives now in each hand.
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5, 6 w/staff; Toughness: 7(2)
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Notice 5
Notice 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Stealth 14
Stealth 1d4!!: [14!!] = 14
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0
OOC Comments
Ah, bloody heck! I forgot if we’re splitting up, we only have the one torch!
Vespernys joined Halt in heading for the western hallway out of the great room. She realized her folly when the light disappeared as Layna and Jaenelle left with the torch, and Vesper cursed. Some leader she was!

Torch (held by Jaenelle)(3592 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Halt
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Halt »

As their only sources of portable light - The torch and the glowing sword - move away, Halt approaches the still smoldering pile of debris.

Finding some wood that was mostly spared in the blaze, he wraps the end in cloth. He grabs some extra cloth - it wont burn long without an oil to be soaked in - and sets the improvised torch to an existing flame in the debris.

"This won't last long, but if we keep feeding it with more cloth, it should give us enough time to see what is in the next room over"

With Vesper posted at the intersection of hallways, Halt
Stealth: 1d10! 1d6!: [6]+[2] = 8 (6)
as far down each as he can without losing sight of Vesper and the light her "torch" provides.
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 4/ 3
+1 from Layna joker (2/26)

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation
Danger Sense: +2 to notice for surprise. Notice at -2 to detect hazard

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature
User avatar
Lelya Spriggins
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Lelya Spriggins »

Leyla nodded to @Kaya smiling. Her breath was heavy as her chest strained against her armor. “Thank you my friend... The rats were... Fatiguing.” With any time left she hurriedly cast her eyes and fingers over the plate armor looking for some indication of how it had come to this place.

Of course the dark was ever her nemisis so she coughed stifling down the urge to wretch as smell of dead rat filled her nostrils. “ungghh, Someone shed some light this way... Hurry.” It was not that she was greedy, it was more that her head had been filled by her father of glorious rewards that awaited in the dank and dark places of the world.
Notice 9
Notice... 1d6! 1d6!: [6!, 3]+[1] = 10
Fatigue healed!
Stats

Agility d10, Str d8, Vigor d10, Spirit d8, Smarts d6
Toughness:7+1=8
Toughness with leathers: 10(2)
Pace:6
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: The Eye of the Storm

Post by Tribe of One »

The stench of burnt fur and charred flesh lingers as the heroes spread out to search the surrounding ruin, but initially, at least, no sound that the brief battle has roused any other foes.

The Great Hall
Sifting through the ashes and smoldering remains of the ratfolk nests, Gamil notices the glint of gold. Pulling the bauble free, he finds a gold ring -- identical to the one Lelya found earlier on the pommel of the rusted sword -- adorning an ancient, skeletal hand bearing many tooth marks. Sliding the ring free, Gamil sees that the Elvish phrase inscribed inside is slightly different. The one Lelya found attached to the sword said I answer; this one says I call.

The Study
Jaenelle is reasonably sure that the opened tome on the desk is a wizard's spellbook, though it must be written in some strange cipher, because she can't make heads or tails of the inscribed sigils and diagrams. Packing it up for later study, she peaks into the library to the south, but the books there all appear to have fallen to the ravages of time, either covered with blankets of mold or crumbled into vaguely book-shaped heaps of dust on the shelves.

The Dining Room
Moving east into the dining room, Jaenelle, Layna and Kaya find a small table, which appears to have been set for a single occupant. The floor is strewn with the shards of a considerable amount of smashed crockery. The smell of smoke is stronger here -- judging by the black stains on the walls and ash on the floor, it looks like a fire consumed the kitchen to the north relatively recently. A thin crack in the ceiling has allowed a dusting of snow inside, which has mixed with the oily residue from the fire to coat everything in a soggy gray mess. Searching the table, Layna finds some silver goblets and cutlery that might be worth a few coins, as well as delicate silver bell, untarnished and masterfully crafted, sitting alone in the center of a chipped platter.

The Kitchen
Splitting off from Layna and Jaenelle, Kaya explores the fire-ravaged kitchen. Judging by the charred bones and other refuse, it looks like the ratfolk once made heavy use of the area, but have avoided it since -- only a few tracks can be seen in the ash piled on the floor. As she passes through to meet up with Gamil and Lelya to the north, Kaya catches her foot on something hidden in the ash, which makes a bright, metallic sound on the stone floor. Brushing away the soot, she finds a small tuning fork made of some blue-tinted metal.

The Northeast Corridor
Map
NE Map.JPG
Joining together, Gamil, Lelya and Kaya proceed to explore the northeast corridor, which ends in a corner room stacked with dusty, ironbound caskets. One has been opened, its worm-riddled occupant dumped on the floor nearby and savagely hacked apart. As the trio moves into the room, a low whispering sounds grows in intensity. With a crash, the three remaining coffins are thrown open, and the desiccated corpses within crawl free. Moving with unholy dexterity, their eyes aglow with unnatural hunger, they attack!

Ancient Guardian.png
Ancient Guardian.png (110.82 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
Quick Combat!
Gamil, Lelya and Kaya each may roll an appropriate combat skill (Athletics for throwing, Fighting, Shooting, or an Arcane skill if using magic). Each success will kill one of the undead; a Raise will kill two.
  • Successes needed: Three, one for each undead guardian
  • Modifiers: Attacks that aren't magic (ie. not a power or using an enchanted weapon) are at -2.
Risk of Injury and Resource Use

Risk of Injury
Regardless of success or failure, each character risks injury during the fight -- how much depends on how you approach the fight.
  • Full Defense: Staying out of harm's way is your priority. You suffer a -2 penalty to your Quick Combat roll, but take no damage if successful. On a failure, you suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises.
  • Cautious: You fight carefully, but don't hold back. On a failure, you take a Wound, which can be Soaked as usual. With a success, you only suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises, and on a Raise you emerge unscathed.
  • Fast and Furious: You attack like a wild berserker. You gain a +2 to your Quick Combat roll. On a failure, you suffer 1d4 Wounds, or 1 Wound with a success (Wounds can be Soaked normally). With a Raise, you suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises instead.


Resource Use
If using Athletics (Throwing), Shooting or an arcane skill for your Quick Combat roll, you'll also use up resources, depending on how you approached the battle.
  • Full Defense: You use 1d2 Power Points (if attacking with magic) or pieces of ammunition (if using Athletics or Shooting).
  • Cautious: You use 1d3 Power Points (if attacking with magic) or pieces of ammunition (if using Athletics or Shooting).
  • Fast and Furious: You use 1d4 Power Points (if attacking with magic) or pieces of ammunition (if using Athletics or Shooting).

The Southeast Corridor
Map
SE Map.JPG
After searching the dining room, Layna and Jaenelle head east, then south through a short corridor leading to what they guess is the southeast corner of the ruin. The foundations are cracked and loose here and a shrill wind has blow drifts of snow against the walls of the hallway. There are only a few ratfolk tracks here, none of them fresh. The room at the end of the corridor appears to be the basement of the tower above. Long icicles hang down from the ceiling above -- some are chipped off, suggesting the ratfolk might have harvested fresh ice to melt for drinking water here. Even more intriguing are the gold and silver coins frozen in the ice on the floor. As Jaenelle and Layna bend down to see about freeing the loot, the tinkling of ice above gives them the briefest of warnings as a giant white spider drops down to attack!

White Spider.png
White Spider.png (48.46 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
Quick Combat!
Layna and Jaenelle each may roll an appropriate combat skill (Athletics for throwing, Fighting, Shooting, or an Arcane skill if using magic). Each success inflicts one wound on the spider; a Raise inflicts two.
  • Successes needed: Three; if at least one Wound is inflicted, it will retreat, but will spit freezing venom before it goes, forcing each combatant to make Vigor check at -2 or suffer an additional level of Fatigue
  • Modifiers: None
Risk of Injury and Resource Use

Risk of Injury
Regardless of success or failure, each character risks injury during the fight -- how much depends on how you approach the fight.
  • Full Defense: Staying out of harm's way is your priority. You suffer a -2 penalty to your Quick Combat roll, but take no damage if successful. On a failure, you suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises.
  • Cautious: You fight carefully, but don't hold back. On a failure, you take a Wound, which can be Soaked as usual. With a success, you only suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises, and on a Raise you emerge unscathed.
  • Fast and Furious: You attack like a wild berserker. You gain a +2 to your Quick Combat roll. On a failure, you suffer 1d4 Wounds, or 1 Wound with a success (Wounds can be Soaked normally). With a Raise, you suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises instead.


Resource Use
If using Athletics (Throwing), Shooting or an arcane skill for your Quick Combat roll, you'll also use up resources, depending on how you approached the battle.
  • Full Defense: You use 1d2 Power Points (if attacking with magic) or pieces of ammunition (if using Athletics or Shooting).
  • Cautious: You use 1d3 Power Points (if attacking with magic) or pieces of ammunition (if using Athletics or Shooting).
  • Fast and Furious: You use 1d4 Power Points (if attacking with magic) or pieces of ammunition (if using Athletics or Shooting).

The West Corridor
Map
West.JPG
After sending the rest of the group to search to the east, Halt and Vesper move carefully to the west, using the passage from the smoldering great hall. Moving west, the first doorway to the south leads to what appears to be a storage room of some sort, the walls stacked with wooden crates and boxes. Most appear to have been smashed open and plundered of their contents by the ratfolk, though a few still contain a strange collection of materials: odd bones, dried pots of ink, bundles of herbs and the like.

South of the storeroom is what appears to be an old stone laboratory -- the icy wind blows from that direction, but Vesper and Halt first continue to the west, where the hallway ends at another south-facing door. Beyond is another small room that appears to have been a bedroom -- though the contents have all been smashed and hacked apart with a heavy blade. A flagstone beneath the shattered bedframe has been pulled aside and something heavy was dragged away, judging from the long scratches on the floor leading back out to the hall and toward the lab.

Doubling back, Halt and Vesper creep through the storeroom to peer into the laboratory, which is empty but appears to have seen recent use. On the north and west walls, several tables are covered with blacksmith's tools and other implements. To the south, what appears to be a frost-covered forge or altar holds a massive block of ice with the shape of a sword carved out of it, almost like a mold. Just south and east of the door where Halt and Vesper hide, a set of stone steps lead deeper beneath the ruin -- the air that rises from below is cold enough to cause ice crystals to form from the pair's breath. The frigid air is not so cold as to completely mask the smell of rot and decay, however. Through a doorway on the laboratory's east wall, Halt and Vesper can make out what appears to be a macabre larder: a stone room stacked with the mutilated bodies of several men and fae, some of them strung up on meat hooks and others dropped carelessly on the floor.
GM Bennies: 8/8
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Searching the rooms
Search Bedroom
Notice 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Search store room
Notice 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Search lab - Critical Fail
Notice 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Search meat locker - Raise
Notice 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9
Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys kept her bow ready, but when things seemed safe, and no calls of alarm came from the others, she searched the rooms they had found. She was happy to see the stone staircase going down. She was disgusted by the makeshift meat locker, though, nearly losing her last meal.

Torch (held by Jaenelle)(3591 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

OOC Comments
13PP
Rolling Spellcasting for QC
Fatigue -1
Fast and Fool--I mean, Furious: +2


Spellcasting 1d10!!+1: [28!!]+1 = 29
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!+1: [11!!]+1 = 12
Yowza! Raise, one level of Fatigue.
Power Points 1d4: [1] = 1
Fatigue -2; 12 PPt
Jaenelle, upon seeing the chittering spider, casts a True Strike spell, making both herself and Leyla more deadly in the short combat, then lays into the spider with the sword; the enhanced blows are sufficient to badly injure the creature, though the effort of hacking through the thing's icy carapace winds her, badly.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown
User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

Fighting 2
Fighting 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0 - Cautious
Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2

Bennie

Fighting 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Kaya gasped as the...things staggered to their feet and stumbled towards her and her comrades. So off-putting she found the creatures, she found it difficult to get a proper swing or thrust with her rapier. Worse, it also put her off-guard and open to to a swipe from one of the creatures. She gasped again, this time in pain as she felt the creature's claw-like hands bite.
User avatar
Halt
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Halt »

Once they've finished scouting the immediate area and there doesnt appear to be anything dangerous around Halt starts methodically searching through the rooms, looking for something, anything, that might given them a hint of where this cold woman might be, or what her captor might want with her.

He searches through the boxes is the storage room. He closely examines the removed flagstone and the area that was underneath it, and traces the marks on the ground to the labratory, searching for where it was taken.

"This is just....disgusting..." Halt says looking into the larder. However, his disgust doesn't stop him from covering his mouth and nose with a cloth and rummaging around the corpses and going through their pockets.

If Vesper gives him a judging look, he responds, "What? They're dead. It's not like I'm taking anything they're going to miss..."

Finally he inspects the cold forge and its ice sword cutout.

"This is like something out of a children's story. Which is not good, since we aren't the ones with the magic sword..."[/i] Not sure if it is meant to be a mold for a sword, or if a sword was somehow cut out of it, Halt pulls out his water skin, and slowly pours in water, watching for a reaction.
Tribe
Let me know what you want me to roll, if anything, for any of this
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 4/ 3
+1 from Layna joker (2/26)

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation
Danger Sense: +2 to notice for surprise. Notice at -2 to detect hazard

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature
User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

Having been carrying his axe and relying on his Arcane Sight (Detect Arcana), Gamil is only slightly taken back as the undead stagger forth.

"I am certain that the smell of undeath burning is worse then the mutant rats on fire. Cover your faces."

Oath of Droam, Burst Power, Weird Science - 9, success, raise
Risk of Injury - Fast and Furious +2
Resource Use - Fast and Furious - Power Points 1d4: [4] = 4
Burst Power (2 PP) - Weird Science
Damage Modifier (2 PP)

Weird Science 1d8!!+2: [7]+2 = 9
Wild 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
User avatar
Lelya Spriggins
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Lelya Spriggins »

Fighting d10: 1d10! 1d6!: [3]+[1] = 4 benny for a reroll: 1d10! 1d6!: [1]+[1] = 2

Something was wrong... Leyla could hear something coming but the darkness swirled around her and she could not see at all! ”The frost take me! I can’t see! Some kind of pitch over my eyes!” One of the zombies got a hold over her bitting deep! Her sword slipped from her fingers making a hollow clanging sound.

3 bennies left.
Stats

Agility d10, Str d8, Vigor d10, Spirit d8, Smarts d6
Toughness:7+1=8
Toughness with leathers: 10(2)
Pace:6
User avatar
Layna
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Layna »

Fighting 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [6]+[6!, 4] = 16


Propelled by @Jaenelle's spell, Layna is a whirlwind, dodging and feinting against the spider with a blade in each hand. She cuts at every limb the creature extends and, when it comes in close for a bite, buries a knife in its eye before deftly retreating out of the way.

In Case This is Needed for Spider Venom, Vigor 6
Vigor 1d6!, Wild 1d6!: [1]+[2] = 3
Reroll 1d6!, Wild 1d6!: [1]+[6!, 2] = 9 - 2 = 6 total
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5, 6 w/staff; Toughness: 7(2)
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: The Eye of the Storm

Post by Tribe of One »

Exploration of the northeastern corner of the ruin quickly devolves into bloody combat as Gamil, Lelya and Kaya clash with the hungry dead. Employing the same fiery spell that took down the ratfolk, the dwarf runesmith manages to bring the undead low, but not before both Kaya and Lelya are wounded. Lelya's wound, in particular, appears worriesome, the flesh around the bite now black and oozing.

If the corpses carried anything of value, it was lost in the blast of magical fire.

[Kaya takes a Wound, but can spend a Benny to try to soak it as normal. Lelya also takes a Wound, but can't try to soak due to Crit Failing. This bite also won't heal normally -- she'll need magical healing (at -2) or help from a trained healer with special herbs.]

To the south, Jaenelle and Layna's melee with the ice spider is short and one-sided: With Jaenelle's magic guiding their blows, the two young women make quick work of the chittering beast, avoiding its freezing mandibles.

A search of the room turns up a sturdy brass lantern, with a full reservoir of oil, encased in one of the crystalline ice patches spun by the creature.

To the west, Vesper and Halt encounter no physical resistance, though they find horror enough. Examining the scrapes and scratches on the floor of the ruined bedchamber, Halt deduces that the chest or whatever it was concealed beneath the flagstone there was dragged into the laboratory and from their down the stairs to whatever lies below. His investigation of the icy forge in that room yields little: When he pours out his waterskin into the sword-shaped mold, an icy simulacra forms for a moment but almost instantly cracks and collapses into shards of ice.

His and Vesper's search of the frigid larder to the east turns up ample evidence of Thurnbarch's terrible appetites. The corpses of men and women have been expertly butchered and hung, though the care given to the carving does not extend to the rest of the room. Clothing has been cast into piles in the corners, the fabric stiff with ice and stained with blood. Digging through the frozen remains, Halt and Vesper uncover a stiff leather pouch filled with silver coins, each stamped with the twin-headed bull of the Free City of Argos. Tangled in a tattered cloak, they also find a ram's horn banded in silver and bound with red cord.

As the adventurers from Hirstwall regroup, a chill wind swirls up from the stairway leading below, carrying the sound of grumbling speech too indistinct to translate. It seems likely that Thurnbarch and the Cold Woman are below, along with who knows what other dangers. Perhaps a plan is in order?

You've got time to regroup and organize your next actions. Since we're at the end of the quarter, everyone can take an Advance now. In addition, you've each earned a Discovery Point, which can be converted into Conviction, or used to "discover" a magical property of an interesting item you already own or one you've recently picked up.

West.JPG
GM Bennies: 8/8
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Notice 10
Notice 1d6!!: [10!!] = 10
Wild 1d6!!: [10!!] = 10
Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vesper studied the silver coins and the ram’s horn she and Hart found. Interesting. She had only heard of Argos in books in her father’s library. The coins were fascinating, though.

Vesper was upset when she discovered that Kaya and Lelya had been hurt. “I am so sorry! Maybe I shouldn’t have split us up,” she worried over her decision. “I think we know where Thurbach and the Cold Woman are, though,” she said, leading them all to the stairs down into the basement where the cold wind blew.

“I wish we knew what was below,” Vesper mused. She knelt at the top of the stairs and peered down, trying to get a sense for how far down they went, and how sturdy they were.

Torch (held by Jaenelle)(3588 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Pouch filled with silver coins, each stamped with the twin-headed bull of the Free City of Argos. (Halt or Vesper)
Sturdy brass lamp and oil. (Jaenelle or Layna)
Ram's horn banded in silver and bound with red cord. (Halt or Vesper)
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 1
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Marksman: If she doesn’t move in a turn and fires no more than a Rate of Fire of 1 as her first action, she may add +1 to an Athletics (throwing) or Shooting roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Range, Scale, or Speed. This is a lesser version of the Aim maneuver and does not stack with it. Marksman doesn’t apply to additional attacks after the first.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

Soak Roll 7
Vigor 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
With the brief battle brought to an abrupt and fiery end, Kaya saw to her wound and found it looked worse than it actually was. She gave the cut a quick clean and rubbed some of her herbs in to help begin it healing, though when noticed Lelya's own injuries. It looked like a nasty bite all black and oozing, which made Kaya frowned. Fishing through her bag of herbs, Kaya called to the other girl. "Here, let me tend to that."

Healing 10
Healing 1d8!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Wild 1d6!!+2: [8!!]+2 = 10
User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

OOC Comments
Fatigue -2
12 PP
3/3 Bennies

Casting Relief (1 PP, +1 Extra Target Leyla)
Spellcasting 1d10!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Benny Reroll
Spellcasting 1d10!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Again
Spellcasting 1d10!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Spellcasting 1d10!!-2: [3]-2 = 1 Error, should be:
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!-2: [11!!]-2 = 9
Raise!
Both she and Leyla recover up to two levels of Fatigue.
Jaenelle, upon emerging victorious from the spider-battle, also rushes over upon seeing Kaya tend to Lelya. She frowns, seeing the exhaustion that suffused her bones reflected on her wounded comrade's face. "I... I've never tried this spell, before, but I think we're at the point where it's necessary."

Pulling out her canteen, she took a dribble of water onto her fingers and began to flick it over both herself and Lelya. At first, it seemed to do nothing, but then Lelya feels a sudden surge of energy, and thus as fresh as she had been when they first arrived. Jaenelle, too, is no longer breathing hard and swaying.

"Okay, that took some effort, but I think I got it figured out in the end."
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown
User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

Vespernys du Lac wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:36 am
Notice 10
Notice 1d6!!: [10!!] = 10
Wild 1d6!!: [10!!] = 10
Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vesper studied the silver coins and the ram’s horn she and Hart found. Interesting. She had only heard of Argos in books in her father’s library. The coins were fascinating, though.

Vesper was upset when she discovered that Kaya and Lelya had been hurt. “I am so sorry! Maybe I shouldn’t have split us up,” she worried over her decision. “I think we know where Thurbach and the Cold Woman are, though,” she said, leading them all to the stairs down into the basement where the cold wind blew.

“I wish we knew what was below,” Vesper mused. She knelt at the top of the stairs and peered down, trying to get a sense for how far down they went, and how sturdy they were.

Torch (held by Jaenelle)(3588 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Pouch filled with silver coins, each stamped with the twin-headed bull of the Free City of Argos. (Halt or Vesper)
Sturdy brass lamp and oil. (Jaenelle or Layna)
Ram's horn banded in silver and bound with red cord. (Halt or Vesper)
***
Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 1
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Marksman: If she doesn’t move in a turn and fires no more than a Rate of Fire of 1 as her first action, she may add +1 to an Athletics (throwing) or Shooting roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Range, Scale, or Speed. This is a lesser version of the Aim maneuver and does not stack with it. Marksman doesn’t apply to additional attacks after the first.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
"I could inspect the area below by burrowing through the stone. Might take a while but it is doable."

"Anything of interest from the other rooms that might need to be looked over?" ( @Tribe of One maybe Academics to know more about the Free City of Argos)
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vesper considered Gamli’s offer. “Can you investigate without being seen?” she asked. “Would be good to know what we’re walking into. And there might be something you can look at. Some kind of forge in the workroom.”

Torch (held by Jaenelle)(3587 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Pouch filled with silver coins, each stamped with the twin-headed bull of the Free City of Argos. (Halt or Vesper)
Sturdy brass lamp and oil. (Jaenelle or Layna)
Ram's horn banded in silver and bound with red cord. (Halt or Vesper)
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 1
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Marksman: If she doesn’t move in a turn and fires no more than a Rate of Fire of 1 as her first action, she may add +1 to an Athletics (throwing) or Shooting roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Range, Scale, or Speed. This is a lesser version of the Aim maneuver and does not stack with it. Marksman doesn’t apply to additional attacks after the first.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

"Without being seen might be a bit difficult. However I am willing to do anything for a little upper hand advantage."

"Do we have any other surprises up here?"

"You mentioned a forge. Any other curiosities that we need to investigate?"
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: The Eye of the Storm

Post by Tribe of One »

Regrouping near the old workshop, you compare stories of the dangers and horrors you found on your separate travels. Supplemented by Jaenelle's restorative magic, Kaya makes liberal use of her healing herbs and sewing kit to clean and bind everyone's wounds. At the end, even the nasty bite Lelya suffered fighting the undead looks on its way to healing.

The rest gives you time to examine some of the treasures uncovered during your search:

[The first group of items can be "discovered" to be magical if someone decides to spend a Discovery Point to do so.]
  • A sturdy brass lantern with a full reservoir of oil;
  • A pouch filled with silver coins from the Free City of Argos. Argos, which is the closest of the Free Cities to Hirstwall (though still many days travel, through lands crawling with bandits and goatmen), has a reputation as the home of silver-tongued scoundrels, where anything (and anyone) can be bought for the right price.
  • A ram's horn bound with silver and red cord, of the sort a warrior would blow at the start of battle. Tales tell of enchanted horns that can summon aid from the heavens or cause mountains to tumble -- who knows what, if any, powers this might have?
[This second group of items have definite powers, which can be identified with appropriate skill checks.
  • The pair of gold rings inscribed with elven writing: The one Gamil found on a skeletal hand says "I call", while the one Lelya found on the hilt of a rusted sword says "I answer".
    The purpose of the rings is relatively straightforward: As an action, the wearer of the first ring ("I call") can summon to hand an item upon which the second ring ("I answer") is placed.
  • A wizard's spellbook recovered from the study, which appears to be written in some sort of arcane cipher.
    A Discovery Point must be spent to decipher the code. Once that's done, the book is found to contain four spells (one of Veteran or Heroic rank, the rest Seasoned or below) that can be cast as rituals.
  • A delicate silver bell found on the table in the ruined dining hall.
    Twice a day, the bell can be rung and placed on a dish or serving tray, which must be covered with a lid or napkin. When the covering is removed, the plate will be filled with enough delicious food to serve two people.
  • A tuning fork made of a strange, blue-tinted metal.
    When struck, the fork lets out a precise tone that appears to be harmonically linked to an enchantment of some kind -- at this point, it isn't clear what that enchantment might be.
You also have time to more carefully examine the laboratory and the stairs leading below. Although as old as the rest of the complex, the workshop appears to have seen recent use. Tools are scattered about, along with traces of various reagents and materials both mundane and magical.

It's clear that someone recently used the workshop to craft a sword, although you're unclear on the details. Whoever they were, they weren't particularly skilled or experienced -- tools are scattered and several appear to have been damaged through careless use.


Someone recently used the workshop to forge a magic sword -- based on the leftover materials scattered about and the lingering auras, the blade holds powerful enchantments related to ice and destruction. Whoever forged it was not particularly skilled or experienced -- tools are scattered and several appear to have been damaged through careless use -- but made up for the lack of knowledge with raw arcane power.


Examining the stairway down, you notice numerous scratches and prints on the dusty floor. The stairs themselves curve into a spiral. A short distance down -- perhaps 15 feet below the laboratory -- the stairwell ends in a door carved of opaque blue ice. Bone-chilling cold radiates from the doorway.

The tracks leading to and from the stairs all appear to be the same, made by a wide, booted footprint with a heavy step. Scrapes along the flagstones suggest something heavy has been dragged down at some point; you also find a few drops of frozen blood and tattered bits of gossamer faerie wing. There are a few ratfolk tracks elsewhere in the lab, but they are all comparatively old.


The tracks leading to and from the stairs all appear to be the same, made by a wide, booted footprint with a heavy step. Scrapes along the flagstones suggest something heavy has been dragged down at some point; you also find a few drops of frozen blood and tattered bits of gossamer faerie wing. There are a few ratfolk tracks elsewhere in the lab, but they are all comparatively old.

Ignoring the numbing cold, you press an ear to the icy door at the bottom of the stairs. The frozen portal vibrates and creaks, amplifying and distorting the sound from beyond. Faintly, you hear what sounds like a voice singing a slow dirge, which is cut off abruptly after someone barks a muffled order.


Considering the idea of scouting ahead using magic, Gamil notes that the paved stones and icy ground will require more energy to burrow into, though it's nothing insurmountable. [Would require the power modifier for artificial material.] The bigger question is whether he could do so without being noticed.


Drifting down into the ancient stone, Gamil feels an unnatural chill. A moment later, the earth and stone he is traveling through gives way to a thick layer of ice coating whatever lies below. Poking his head through the frozen sheet, he sees a series of connected rooms, which have the look of a dungeon or cellar. Here and there, half-rotted crates and chests are pushed against the walls, now covered with a layer of ice that reflects soft blue light throughout the area. Doorways are covered with sheets of ice like the one at the bottom of the stairs, and Gamil can make out what appears to be a cell in one nook, the bars formed of solid ice. Frozen corpses -- some appearing to be ratfolk, others ancient men with frost-blackened flesh -- slump at wooden tables or lie propped up against the wall. As Gamil watches, one begins to swivel its head his way, its eyes softly burning with blue fire ...

Give me a Stealth roll at -2 to determine whether you were noticed before retreating.
GM Bennies: 8/8
User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

OOC Comments
ALL THE ROLLS:
Gold Rings: Spellcasting d110
Spellcasting 1d10!!: [7] = 7
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!: [5] = 5

Wizard's Spellbook: Spellcasting d10
Spellcasting 1d10!!: [6] = 6
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!: [4] = 4

Silver Bell: Spellcasting d10-2
Spellcasting 1d10!!-2: [9]-2 = 7
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2

Tunning Fork: Spellcasting d10-4
Spellcasting 1d10!!-4: [12!!]-4 = 8
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!-4: [8!!]-4 = 4

Tools: Spellcasting d10
Spellcasting 1d10!!: [1] = 1
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!: [3] = 3

Stairs: Notice d8
Notice 1d8!!: [13!!] = 13
Wild Notice 1d6!!: [10!!] = 10
Jaenelle, working quickly, selects the most likely items for study. She nods after a bit, smiling in satisfaction, as she starts to sense the internal logic of these enchantments. "The bell can probably be put aside for now--keep it, but I don't think we need gourmet service for two right at the moment. The tuning fork.... I think it ties to some other enchantment, as a kind of control--or maybe a key. the book, I'll need to translate to get anything useful out of. But these--" Here, she taps the rings. "--might be useful now, if someone clever thinks of a way to put them to good use--the first ring will call an object to the wearer, provided the second ring has been placed upon that object. If we have no other immediate use for them, then I suggest that Lady Vesper wears I Call, and we put I Answer on the tuning fork, which can then be held by Kaya--Kaya's knowledge of music and tone make her the most likely candidate to use the fork properly, I think, and the rings will ensure it is not lost, if, um, something happens." Her voice trails off a bit at the end, as she realizes the implication of 'if Kaya comes to a horrible end and we need the tuning fork but don't want to go back for her body' might come across as a bit tactless.

Clearing her throat and moving on, she gestures to the tools. "I'm afraid these are beyond my ken. Master Smith, perhaps you can shed some light on their function?" She turns to Gamil.

***********

Once the group is ready to consider advancing into the fortress, she looks at the steps. "I think it's a fair bet that our beast and beauty are down there." She frowns as she picks up a couple of the gossamer wing-fragments, and, almost as if she cannot help herself, descends the stairs, stepping softly, and leans against the frozen door at the bottom. Hearing the singing, and the harsh command, she flinches back, and points wordlessly with her glowing blade, making it clear to the others that their target lies just beyond. She then moves back slightly, so someone with a bit more heft can deal with the door itself--it seems likely to be at least partially frozen shut.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Notice 11; Raise
Notice 1d6!!: [11!!] = 11
Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

While Jaenelle studied the items they had found, Vespernys examined the stairs and the footprints leading down. There was a thick, frozen door at the bottom. The tracks leading to and from the stairs all appeared to be the same, made by a wide, booted footprint with a heavy step. Scrapes along the flagstones suggested something heavy had been dragged down at some point. Vesper also found a few drops of frozen blood and tattered bits of gossamer faerie wing. There were a few ratfolk tracks elsewhere in the lab, but they were all comparatively old.

Ignoring the numbing cold, Vesper pressed an ear to the icy door at the bottom of the stairs. The frozen portal vibrated and creaked, amplifying and distorting the sound from beyond. Faintly, she heard what sounded like a voice singing a slow dirge, which was cut off abruptly after someone barked a muffled order.

“I hear two voices,” Vesper whispered to the others. “Probably Thurnbach and the winter woman. From the tracks, it doesn’t look like anyone else comes down here.”

“But we don’t know what the tuning fork does?” Vesper asked Jaenelle. She did as suggested, though, and slipped the appropriate ring onto the tuning fork and the other onto her own finger. “Seems like it might be better on a weapon, but then what do I know about magic,” she admitted.


Torch (held by Jaenelle)(3586 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Pouch filled with silver coins, each stamped with the twin-headed bull of the Free City of Argos. (Halt or Vesper)
Sturdy brass lamp and full reservoir of oil. (Jaenelle or Layna)
Ram's horn banded in silver and bound with red cord. (Halt or Vesper)
Magic rings (Vesper and tuning fork [Kaya]): The pair of gold rings inscribed with elven writing: The one Gamil found on a skeletal hand says "I call", while the one Lelya found on the hilt of a rusted sword says "I answer". - The purpose of the rings is relatively straightforward: As an action, the wearer of the first ring ("I call") can summon to hand an item upon which the second ring ("I answer") is placed.
Wizard’s spellbook in cipher: A Discovery Point must be spent to decipher the code. Once that's done, the book is found to contain four spells (one of Veteran or Heroic rank, the rest Seasoned or below) that can be cast as rituals.
A delicate silver bell: Twice a day, the bell can be rung and placed on a dish or serving tray, which must be covered with a lid or napkin. When the covering is removed, the plate will be filled with enough delicious food to serve two people.
Tuning fork: When struck, the fork lets out a precise tone that appears to be harmonically linked to an enchantment of some kind -- at this point, it isn't clear what that enchantment might be.
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Sword: Smite (lightning), lingering damage; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Marksman: If she doesn’t move in a turn and fires no more than a Rate of Fire of 1 as her first action, she may add +1 to an Athletics (throwing) or Shooting roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Range, Scale, or Speed. This is a lesser version of the Aim maneuver and does not stack with it. Marksman doesn’t apply to additional attacks after the first.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Halt
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Halt »

As the other gather and strategize, Halt's attention is consumed by the Ram's horn. Unable to move his gaze from it, Halt rolls the horn over in his hands inspecting every inch. He traces silver chord with a finger down the horn, and then follows the red chords back up it's length.

The horn seems to call to him, and before he knows what he is doing, he brings the horn to his lips. With a deep breath he blows into the horn, realizing only at the last millisecond - and too late - how foolish it is to announce their presence and location to the castle.

But nothing happens. No sound comes out. Confused - but relieved - Halt turns toward the others.

This stupid things is bro... Halt says. Or, at least attempts to. He can feel his mouth moving, feel his vocal chords vibrating, but hears nothing. He shouts, claps his hands, drops his dagger. None of it produces a sound. After a half a minute or so, the effect disappates, and Halt finally hears his own voice again.

...cking sound... O there we go. Hey everyone. I found something really useful.
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 4/ 3
+1 from Layna joker (2/26)

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation
Danger Sense: +2 to notice for surprise. Notice at -2 to detect hazard

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature
User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

Kaya sighed when she did a quick inventory check of her remaining supplies, all this adventuring had greatly consumed a large stock of herbs and other healing supplies. There hadn't been much of a chance to stock up since entering the forest, all the snow had put paid to that idea. Whilst she could hope that they avoided serious harm, she feared her supplies wouldn't last.

She heard her name being mentioned by @Jaenelle, something to do about a tuning fork found in that appeared to be a workshop of some description. "Tis not something that I'm that knowledgeable about, but I can see what I can do with it."

Performance 1
Performance 1d6!!-3: [3]-3 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-4: [5]-4 = 1
"Alas, looks like it'll have to remain a mystery for now."

Then she noticed @Halt's predicament with the horn, seemingly robbing him of his voice for a moment. "That a...horn of silence maybe?"
User avatar
John Smith
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:49 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by John Smith »

Having discovered the abilities of the Rams horn, Halt turns to @Gamil

"You know, burrowing down there sounded about as dumb as trying look up the Lady's own skirts, but with this thing it might actually work. Want to give it a try?"

silence - 4 for success
Spirit for activation
1d8! 1d6!: [3]+[4] = 7

Not sure if targeting Gamil would make him a nf his borrowing silent. If not I'll cast this with the mobile modifier.

-2 ppe
User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

John Smith wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:07 pm Having discovered the abilities of the Rams horn, Halt turns to Gamil

"You know, burrowing down there sounded about as dumb as trying look up the Lady's own skirts, but with this thing it might actually work. Want to give it a try?"

silence - 4 for success
Spirit for activation
1d8! 1d6!: [3]+[4] = 7

Not sure if targeting Gamil would make him a nf his borrowing silent. If not I'll cast this with the mobile modifier.

-2 ppe
Gamil nods @Halt, "Trust me. Anything is likely to help at this point."

Placing his stone gauntlet hands on the ground, Gamil attempts to
Burrow + Power (3 PPE)
Weird Science 1d10!!: [13!!] = 13 Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4
.
Tribe of One wrote:Drifting down into the ancient stone, Gamil feels an unnatural chill. A moment later, the earth and stone he is traveling through gives way to a thick layer of ice coating whatever lies below. Poking his head through the frozen sheet, he sees a series of connected rooms, which have the look of a dungeon or cellar. Here and there, half-rotted crates and chests are pushed against the walls, now covered with a layer of ice that reflects soft blue light throughout the area. Doorways are covered with sheets of ice like the one at the bottom of the stairs, and Gamil can make out what appears to be a cell in one nook, the bars formed of solid ice. Frozen corpses -- some appearing to be ratfolk, others ancient men with frost-blackened flesh -- slump at wooden tables or lie propped up against the wall. As Gamil watches, one begins to swivel its head his way, its eyes softly burning with blue fire ...
"Bones of my fathers!" Gamil curses to himself, quite certain that something that dead and frozen should not be moving or animated.

As quickly as he can, he
Stealth 1d4!!-2: [3]-2 = 1 Wild 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
.
User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

Gamil takes the time to study each inquiry and item or location of note.
OOC Comments
In the future, would build the runecaster differently.

PAIR OF GOLD RINGS
Academics -2
Academics 1d10!!-2: [6]-2 = 4 Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
"This ring can summon what is being held in this ring's hand."

WIZARD's SPELLBOOK
Weird Science -2
Weird Science 1d10!!-2: [6]-2 = 4 Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
"Spellbook. Certainly. Other details than that. Can't say."

DELICATE SILVER BELL
Weird Science -4
Weird Science 1d10!!-4: [4]-4 = 0 Wild 1d6!!-4: [5]-4 = 1
"Dwarves aren't known for delicate work. Magical. Certainly. Does what, I don't know."
Last edited by Gamil on Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Lelya Spriggins
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Lelya Spriggins »

Leyla clutched her neck looking at @Kaya’s healing herbs. She smiled meekly still a bit dazed by the furious fighting, “Thanks be to you Kaya. Helpful as ever.”

The one thing from the loot that peaked her interest was the lantern. Seemed normal, except the pitch upon investigation was made of ethereal shadow. She whispered keeping her excitement for the first real loot reigned in. It was just like her father’s stories. Find a dungeon, kill everything, get some awesome rewards. ”Lantern check, weird about its pitch, seems to be a mass of shadow... So frosty.”
Stats

Agility d10, Str d8, Vigor d10, Spirit d8, Smarts d6
Toughness:7+1=8
Toughness with leathers: 10(2)
Pace:6
User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

TUNING FORK
Academics -6
Academics 1d10!!-6: [6]-6 = 0 Wild 1d6!!-6: [11!!]-6 = 5
"Harmonics and Enchantments. Maybe like breaking glass with a precise sound. The Cold Woman's Prison, maybe."

FORGED?
Repair
Repair 1d6!!: [3] = 3 Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
"Can't tell you specifics of the forged item. But the one who made whatever," pauses and looks at the anvil and forge, then air quotes, "SWORD had no business doing so."

"Note the mess. Wrecked tools and such."

HIGHWAY TO HELL
Survival
Survival 1d4!!: [6!!] = 6 Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4
"Whatever was made, it may have been heavy enough that it had to be drug down the stairs." Points out the scrape marks going down the stairs.
User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

True Strike
Bennies: 1/3
10/15 PP
Casting True Strike (Boost Fighting) on herself, Lelya and Vesper; 3 PP total
True Strike 1d10!!+1: [8]+1 = 9
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!+1: [1]+1 = 2
Raise: +2 DT to Fighting for Lelya, Vesper and Jaenelle.
Final PP: 8/15
As they prepare to enter the room as Gamil returns with his warning, Jaenelle murmurs softly under her breath, she, Lelya and the Lady Vesper all feel a massive surge in their martial prowress. "That should help."
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: The Eye of the Storm

Post by Tribe of One »

Taking a moment to catch your breath, bind your wounds and examine the chaotic workshop, you wait while Gamil uses rune magic to slide into the stone at your feet. The silence stretches out several long moments before he returns, accompanied by a chill that seems to have followed him from below.

Sketching out what he saw of the level below, the dwarf describes an ice-covered cellar or dungeon, a series of interconnected room filled with half-rotted chests and crates. In addition to several doors covered in thick frost, Gamil noted a cell of some sort blocked with bars of ice and the presence of many human and ratfolk corpses -- one of which turned to gaze at him before his retreat.

Armed with that forewarning, the group girds for battle and heads down the stairs, which curve into a spiral as they descend. By the time you reach the bottom of the stairwell, the air has grown cold and your breath emerges in clouds. The door at the bottom is old wood, glistening with rime and stuck fast. Halt puts a shoulder into it, however, and it cracks and scrapes open with an echoing squeal as a frigid gust of wind rushes into the stairwell.

Basement1.JPG

Bracing against the cold, you push forward into the basement, which is filled with blue light reflected by the ice covering every surface.

Directly to the west, you see the icy prison Gamil mentioned, including a fur-covered lump in one corner that might be a prisoner, whether dead or alive you can't tell. South of that is a storeroom and an icy door leading farther west.

North of you is what might have been a guardroom, judging by the tables and chairs. Corpses are slumped over the furniture or laid out on the floor, men and rats covered with a thick layer of ice. The men appear ancient, with shrunken, blackened flesh and archaic armor, while the ratfolk appear to have died more recently, their frozen fur marked by clumps of bloody ice.

Slowly, the corpses stir, the ice gathered on their limbs cracking and reforming, animating the dead flesh. Empty sockets flicker with blue flame as they turn your way, lifting frost-covered blades.



You're up!

Standard combat here. There are nine frostwights, which rouse and move to attack as you enter the room.

Frostwights: Parry 5; Toughness: 10 (3); Weakness: Fire (+4 damage/-4 to resist)

Terrain: The icy ground is treacherous. If you move more than half your Pace, you must make an Agility check or fall Prone.


Frostwight.png
Frostwight.png (86.34 KiB) Viewed 840 times

Jaenelle 1d54: [9] = 9 = 10 Spades
Gamil 1d54: [13] = 13 = Ace of Spades
Kaya 1d54: [4] = 4 = 5 Spades
Halt 1d54: [4] = 4 = Reroll 1d54: [11] = 11 = Queen of Spades
Vesper 1d54: [34] = 34 = 9 Clubs
Lelya 1d54: [6] = 6 = 7 Spades
Layna 1d54: [38] = 38 = King of Clubs
Aurora (Quick) 1d54: [32] = 32 = 7 Clubs
Skeletons (Slow) 1d54: [33] = 33 = 8 Clubs, 1d54: [6] = 6 = Reroll, 1d54: [7] = 7 = 8 Spades

Players go first
GM Bennies: 8/8
User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

Gamil grins.

"Anything will burn with enough heat. Though between the rotten flesh and the mangy fur, I think we have experienced the worst in sight and smell."

He pulls the great ax off of his shoulder and then proceeds to engage the features that will allow him to use Burst to maximum effectiveness.
User avatar
Aurora
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:18 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Aurora »

Assuming the lump is awake, it moves at the sound of a voice talking about burning things. Shuffling forward to where the door to her cell is she studies the group coming in long enough to determine they are, in fact, potential allies. She looks toward the stairs and sees a large group of icy.....things. She points a finger in that direction and mutters "Stay!"

Dice Rolls
Faith 1d10: [6] = 6 [/roll]
Wild Die 1d6: [2] = 2 [/roll]

7pp cost, Base 2, +3 for Large Burst Template, +2 for Strong, 8pp remaining

Template targeted on the Frost wight to the south of the table on his south west corner.
As her spell takes effect blue glowing bands of energy twine around all but one of the Frost wights up the stairs and possibly the one in the room with her cell as well.
ATTRIBUTES: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d10, Strength d6, Vigor d8

PACE: 6/d6; PARRY: ; TOUGHNESS: 6

SKILLS:
Athletics d6, Common Knowledge d4, Notice d8 -- +2 when looking for clues, Persuasion d4, Stealth d6, Occult d6, Research d6 +2, Faith d10, Fighting d6, Riding d6, Thievery d6

BENNIES: 3/3
POWER POINTS: 6/15
POWERS: Arcane Protection, Bolt, Boost/Lower Trait, Entangle, Speak Language
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys felt a warm rush as Jaenelle whispered a spell. She blinked and nodded her thanks to the witch woman of the village.

The party made their way down the icy stairs. It was perilous going, and she had to be careful and watch her footing. Then the group stopped, and Gamil said something about rotten flesh and mangy fur, though Vesper could see nothing of the room below yet, as she was behind the curve of the stairs.

“Be wary!” Vesper warned. “Do not get bunched up in the doorway!”
On Hold
Vesper goes on hold, I guess. She can’t get into the room yet until people start moving.
***

Torch (held by Jaenelle)(3584 r)
Boost Fighting to d12+1; Parry 9 (5r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Unclaimed Party Loot
Pouch filled with silver coins, each stamped with the twin-headed bull of the Free City of Argos. (Halt or Vesper)
Wizard’s spellbook in cipher: A Discovery Point must be spent to decipher the code. Once that's done, the book is found to contain four spells (one of Veteran or Heroic rank, the rest Seasoned or below) that can be cast as rituals.
A delicate silver bell: Twice a day, the bell can be rung and placed on a dish or serving tray, which must be covered with a lid or napkin. When the covering is removed, the plate will be filled with enough delicious food to serve two people.
***
Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Sword: Smite (lightning), lingering damage; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Marksman: If she doesn’t move in a turn and fires no more than a Rate of Fire of 1 as her first action, she may add +1 to an Athletics (throwing) or Shooting roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Range, Scale, or Speed. This is a lesser version of the Aim maneuver and does not stack with it. Marksman doesn’t apply to additional attacks after the first.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

Great. Kaya murmured to herself. More monsters to fight.

She drew her rapier in readiness for the battle to come, but moved cautiously due to the treacherous footing of the icy floor. She opted to hang back, letting the more capable fighters in the group take the forefront. Her intention was to dart in for quick attacks on the flanks, but also tend to the wounded if the need arose.

Actions
Move up to half Pace of 3.
User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

OOC Comments
Bennies: 1/3
PP: 8/15
Round 1 of True Strike; Fighting d10, Parry 8 with Runesword.

Move forward 3" (half pace) and attack the frostwight in the middle of that room. If the attack hits, activate Antithetical Blade power. (MAP-2 to declared actions, even if the second one doesn't go off.)

Fighting 1d10!!: [14!!] = 14
Wild Fighting 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
Hit with a Raise, even with the -2 MAP!

Raise Damage 3d6!!: [2, 3, 4] = 9
Well, fudge. No Damage.

Activating Sword (Occult -2)
Occult 1d8!!-2: [15!!]-2 = 13
Wild Occult 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Raise again! Sword now counts as flaming, for +4 damage to the Frostwights going forward! Also bypasses any Immunity or Invulnerability they might have.
Jaenelle hears Vesper's command and moves as fast as she dares over the frozen floor, until she is standing next to the pillar that bifurcates the stairs leading up. As she moves into position, she also strikes at the one frost-thing she can reach. The blade skitters off the creature's icy form, but then, almost as if in response to being denied, the runes on the ancient blade begin to glow with an eldritch light, seeming to pulse with an inner heat. Jaenelle's eyes go wide as she feels the arcane power surging through the blade. Well, that's new....
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Shooting 5; Damage 10 AP 1; Shakes the Frost wight facing Jaenelle
Shooting 1d10!!: [5] = 5
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Damage 2d6!!+2: [4, 4]+2 = 10
Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Seeing Jaenelle move out to attack the frozen corpse, Vespernys carefully made her way down the stairs and into Jaenelle’s former position at the bottom. She saw the array of corpses and took aim at the nearest one that Jaenelle faced with her bow, letting an arrow fly.

***

Torch (held by Jaenelle)(3583 r)
Boost Fighting to d12+1; Parry 9 (5r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Unclaimed Party Loot
Pouch filled with silver coins, each stamped with the twin-headed bull of the Free City of Argos. (Halt or Vesper)
Wizard’s spellbook in cipher: A Discovery Point must be spent to decipher the code. Once that's done, the book is found to contain four spells (one of Veteran or Heroic rank, the rest Seasoned or below) that can be cast as rituals.
A delicate silver bell: Twice a day, the bell can be rung and placed on a dish or serving tray, which must be covered with a lid or napkin. When the covering is removed, the plate will be filled with enough delicious food to serve two people.
***
Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Sword: Smite (lightning), lingering damage; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 35
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Marksman: If she doesn’t move in a turn and fires no more than a Rate of Fire of 1 as her first action, she may add +1 to an Athletics (throwing) or Shooting roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Range, Scale, or Speed. This is a lesser version of the Aim maneuver and does not stack with it. Marksman doesn’t apply to additional attacks after the first.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Halt
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Halt »

Halt quickly knocks an arrow, but then sees the bands of energy spring up at the word of the woman apparently locked in a cell.

Instead of immediately firing, He take a few steps to the west, putting his back to the cell - the woman was obviously on their side - and checks in the other room.

"Great! A couple more of them down here! Maybe we can clear these and funnel the rest through this choke point."

With that, he
1d10!! 1d6!!: [1]+[1] = 2
fly at the southernmost frost wight.

Whether it is the deep freezing temperatures or just plain bad timing, the string on his bow snaps as he draws it back, sending the arrow skittering into the cell beside him.

"Damnit Vesper! Were you messing with my bow again?!?" He shouts, as he starts rummaging through his pack for another bowstring.
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 4/ 3
+1 from Layna joker (2/26)

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation
Danger Sense: +2 to notice for surprise. Notice at -2 to detect hazard

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature
User avatar
Layna
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Layna »

Bunched up on the stairs as they are, Layna decides that sharp steel is the better part of valor and sends a pair of throwing daggers at the nearest beast.

Athletics 1d10!, Wild 1d6!: [5]+[6!, 5] = 16
Athletics for other hand 1d10!, Wild 1d6!: [5]+[6!, 2] = 13
Raises with an 11 and an 8

1st dagger: 1d4!+2d6!: [2]+[5, 1] = 8

2nd dagger: 1d4!+2d6!: [4!, 3]+[4, 1] = 12


The first dagger has minimal effect, but the second seems to at least get its attention.

When she goes to draw another dagger to throw, she is surprised to find both of the blades she just used back in their places on the battered knife belt she’d found only minutes ago.
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5, 6 w/staff; Toughness: 7(2)
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: The Eye of the Storm

Post by Tribe of One »

The blue light reflecting from the ice in the room flickers weirdly as the skeletons wake, brightening then dimming in fits and starts. As you pile into the frozen catacombs at the base of the stair, the fur-covered bundle in the cell stirs to life and runs to the bars, casting some spell past the bars to envelope half a dozen of the undead in strands of sapphire light.

With a few clipped orders your group shuffles for position. Jaenelle is first to emerge from the stairwell, darting forward to slash at the nearest wight with her blade. The blow doesn't seem to faze it, but contact with the unnatural creature awakens something in the sword, causing it to blaze with eldritch flame.

Having lined up a clear view, Vespernys sinks an arrow into the skeletal warrior, staggering it. Halt moves to the cell and fires his own shot at the undead to the south, but the arrow wobbles off to the side as his bowstring snaps in the cold.

Layna follows up with her own attack, flinging a pair of daggers at the same wight Jaenelle and Vesper attacked. One sinks hilt-deep in its skull, breaking whatever enchantment had animated the thing and causing it to collapse as the icy flames in its eyes are abruptly smothered.

The entangled skeletons slash with cold and ancient blades at the sorcerous bonds that hold them in place. Two manage to break free, advancing on the group.

The remaining frostwights that had not been ensnared -- two from the south, one from around a corner to the north -- move forward more quickly, swinging ice-covered swords at Halt, Kaya and Jaenelle. Their attacks are clumsy and wooden and easily dodged.

Soon enough, you and your companions have the opportunity to strike back.

Basement2.JPG

Skeletons trying to cut themselves free
Fighting 1 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Fighting 2 1d6!!: [8!!] = 8 Damage 2d6!!: [1, 7!!] = 8
Fighting 3 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Fighting 4 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Fighting 5 1d6!!: [5] = 5 Damage 2d6!!: [5, 4] = 9

Attacking Jaenelle, Halt and Kaya
Fighting vs. Jaenelle 1d6!!: [3] = 3

Fighting vs. Halt 1d6!!: [4] = 4

Fighting vs. Kaya 1d6!!: [5] = 5




You're up!

Eight frostwights remain; three are Entangled in blue bands of energy, the others have moved to engage in combat.

Frostwights: Parry 5; Toughness: 10 (3); Weakness: Fire (+4 damage/-4 to resist)

Terrain: The icy ground is treacherous. If you move more than half your Pace, you must make an Agility check or fall Prone.



Jaenelle 1d54: [40] = 40 = 2 Diamonds
Gamil 1d54: [2] = 2 = 3 Spades
Kaya 1d54: [15] = 15 = 3 Hearts
Halt 1d54: [47] = 47 = 9 Diamonds
Vesper 1d54: [36] = 36 = Jack of Clubs
Lelya 1d54: [46] = 46 = 8 Diamonds
Layna 1d54: [53] = 53 = Red Joker
Aurora (Quick) 1d54: [43] = 43 = 5 Diamonds; 1d54: [46] = 46 = Reroll; 1d54: [49] = 49 = Jack of Diamonds
Skeletons (Slow) 1d54: [31] = 31 = 6 Clubs 1d54: [38] = 38 = King of Clubs

Players go first
GM Bennies: 8/8
User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

OOC Comments
Starting Stats:
Parry 8, Bennies 1/3, PP 8/15
Round 2 of True Strike: Parry 8, Fighting 1d10
+1 Benny from Allied Joker
Wild Attack the Eastmost Frostwight (narrower section of stairwell)
+1 TMW, +2 Wild Attack, Damage +2 Wild Attack, Damage +4 Flaming
Fighting 1d10!!+3: [18!!]+3 = 21
Wild Fighting 1d6!!+3: [3]+3 = 6
Hit with a Raise:
Wild Flaming Attack Raise Damage 3d6!!+6: [4, 3, 2]+6 = 15
Final Stats:
Parry 8, Bennies 2/3, PP 8/15
Jaenelle, seeing two of the chill abominations coming down the steps to either side of the pillar she stands by, decides to even the odds a bit, abandoning her own defense in favor of slashing viciously at the frostwight on the narrower section of the stairs. This time, the blade strikes true, cleaving the head from the creature's neck, and sending flames down over the body as it collapses. She begins to turn to the other, but has clearly left herself exposed in the process.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown
User avatar
Layna
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Layna »

Seeing @Jaenelle exposed, Layna sends two daggers flying towards the wight to Jaenelle's left.

Knife 1 Athletics 1d10!, Wild 1d6!: [7]+[3] = 10 +2 from Joker = 9
Knife 2 Athletics 1d10!, Wild 1d6!: [9]+[3] = 12 +2 from Joker = 11

Knife 1 damage: 1d4! + 2d6! + 3: [1]+[6!, 1, 3] = 11

Knife 2 damage: 1d4! + 2d6! + 3: [4!, 2]+[1, 1] = 8

Reroll Knife 2 damage: 1d4! + 2d6! + 3: [3]+[1, 3] = 7


One of the knives lands true, though she isn't sure it's enough for a kill. She steps forward and then to her own right about five feet or so and crouches low, wishing for some cover. She feels completely exposed out in the open like this.
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5, 6 w/staff; Toughness: 7(2)
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet
User avatar
Aurora
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:18 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Aurora »

She moved down to the other side of Halt to the Frost wight there. "You things are really annoying. Go away. "
Holy Light Bolt causes 1 wound
Bolt - Holy Light
Cost 2pp for base 1 plus 1 for AP2
Faith 1d10: [9] = 9
Wild Die 1d6: [2] = 2

Damage 2d6!!: [5, 7!!] = 12
Damage for raise 1d6!!: [3] = 3

Ignore this 1d10!!: [7] = 7

End total PP: 6
Last edited by Aurora on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
ATTRIBUTES: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d10, Strength d6, Vigor d8

PACE: 6/d6; PARRY: ; TOUGHNESS: 6

SKILLS:
Athletics d6, Common Knowledge d4, Notice d8 -- +2 when looking for clues, Persuasion d4, Stealth d6, Occult d6, Research d6 +2, Faith d10, Fighting d6, Riding d6, Thievery d6

BENNIES: 3/3
POWER POINTS: 6/15
POWERS: Arcane Protection, Bolt, Boost/Lower Trait, Entangle, Speak Language
User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

Fighting 5, Damage 8
Fighting 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Damage 1d6!!+1d4!!: [1]+[2] = 3

Bennie to re-roll damage

Damage 1d6!!+1d4!!: [5]+[3] = 8
Kaya found herself facing two of the creatures, though she managed to fend off their claws with her rapier. However, she had little luck trying to land a blow herself. Hopefully the party would be able to take down the creatures by focusing their efforts.
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Shooting 4
Shooting Shooting 1d10!!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Damage 10 AP 1, leaves the wight Shaken
2d6!!+2: [4, 4]+2 = 10
Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 2

"Damnit Vesper! Were you messing with my bow again?" Halt shouted.

“What? No! I have my own bow!” Vesper said.

Vesper carefully stepped ten feet into the room (2 squares north) to stand back to back with Jaenelle, Kaya, and Layna, for the first time putting her in view of the woman in the cell. Jaenelle seemed to be handling herself well, but Kaya was looking a little pressed, and Halt had his bow out as two of the frostwights moved up on him.

Deciding to open up some room for them, Vespernys took aim at the wight in the center of the room that was attacking Kaya. She struck it solidly in the sternum, sending it back on its heels, but not destroying it.

***

Torch (held by Jaenelle)(3582 r)
Boost Fighting to d12+1; Parry 9 (4r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Unclaimed Party Loot
Pouch filled with silver coins, each stamped with the twin-headed bull of the Free City of Argos. (Halt or Vesper)
Wizard’s spellbook in cipher: A Discovery Point must be spent to decipher the code. Once that's done, the book is found to contain four spells (one of Veteran or Heroic rank, the rest Seasoned or below) that can be cast as rituals.
A delicate silver bell: Twice a day, the bell can be rung and placed on a dish or serving tray, which must be covered with a lid or napkin. When the covering is removed, the plate will be filled with enough delicious food to serve two people.
***
Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Sword: Smite (lightning), lingering damage; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 33
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Marksman: If she doesn’t move in a turn and fires no more than a Rate of Fire of 1 as her first action, she may add +1 to an Athletics (throwing) or Shooting roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Range, Scale, or Speed. This is a lesser version of the Aim maneuver and does not stack with it. Marksman doesn’t apply to additional attacks after the first.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Aurora
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:18 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Aurora »

She was focused on the wight in front of her but the moment she saw Vesper she did a double take and got a puzzled look on her face. Now was not the time to question however. She made a mental note to find out more about this 'Vesper' after the fight.
ATTRIBUTES: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d10, Strength d6, Vigor d8

PACE: 6/d6; PARRY: ; TOUGHNESS: 6

SKILLS:
Athletics d6, Common Knowledge d4, Notice d8 -- +2 when looking for clues, Persuasion d4, Stealth d6, Occult d6, Research d6 +2, Faith d10, Fighting d6, Riding d6, Thievery d6

BENNIES: 3/3
POWER POINTS: 6/15
POWERS: Arcane Protection, Bolt, Boost/Lower Trait, Entangle, Speak Language
User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

Even though Gamil knew the way down,the cold seemed to slow the dwarf by subtle degrees, till he stopped on the last step.

Dazed or confused or cold. Whatever it was, he roused himself from it and took a moment to stretch.

Stepping forth from the stairwell, he took a quick count on his companions, noted the new girl @Aurora, and proceeded forward towards @Jaenelle's location. He climbed the steps, just enough to level his axe/crossbow across the floor.

"One shot at this," he thinks to himself, "let's make it count."

Oath of Droam
Burst
Modifiers: Damage, Lingering Damage
Weird Science 1d10

Weird Science 1d10!!: [6] = 6
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3

Damage 3d6

Burst Damage 3d6!!: [9!!, 4, 2] = 15
User avatar
Halt
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Halt »

Fighting 5 - 12 damage

Attack with knife:
Fighting: 1d6!! 1d6!!: [4]+[4] = 8
4+1(Gang up) = 5 hit
unused bennie because I forgot about gang up!
Bennie: 1d6!!+2 1d6!!+2: [1]+2+[4]+2 = 9
Damage: 1d4!+1d6!: [4!, 2]+[3] = 9
Bennie: 1d4!! + 1d6!!: [7!!]+[2] = 9
Once more: 1d4!! + 1d6!!: [3]+[9!!] = 12
Halt drops his bow - or more appropriately his bow staff now that it is stringless - and pulls his skinning knife from his boot just in time to get it between his face and the claws of the frost wight attacking him.

In a flash of light from the cell to his side, the wight attacking him collapses.

"Good, we dont have to get you out of that cell for you to be useful" he says gruffly before turning to engage the wights on his other side. Seeing Kaya and Vesper both making attacks on the wight in the center of the room, Halt seizes an opening as it blocks a blade from Kaya and jams his blade between into the creatures exposed spine. The blade catches on a fragment of ice, but halt slams his other hand down on the hilt, shattering the Ice and driving the blade home toward its mark.
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 4/ 3
+1 from Layna joker (2/26)

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation
Danger Sense: +2 to notice for surprise. Notice at -2 to detect hazard

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: The Eye of the Storm

Post by Tribe of One »

The room echoes with the cracking of ice and the scrape of steel against bone as the fight intensifies.

Her blade dripping fire, Jaenelle cuts down the wight to her right with a blow that sends bits of frozen, blackened flesh bouncing from the walls. Layna dodges in, flinging a knife that staggers another, as Aurora blasts one of the skeletons threatening Halt with a bolt of holy light.

Kaya trades blows with another before Vesper puts an arrow into its skull. As the icy corpse swivels toward its attackers, Halt slams his dagger through its spine, snuffing whatever enchantment had animated it.

The way cleared, Gamil steps forward from the stairs and aims his axe to the north, unleashing a swirl of flame that curls out like a rush of dragonfire. Three frostwights in its path are obliterated, as is an ice-covered door on the far wall.

The remaining wight in the northern room manages to hack through the entangling enchantment Aurora cast, staggering south to test its blade against Jaenelle's flaming sword. To the south, the lone skeleton left standing slashes at Halt and Kaya in a frenzy, but fails to land a blow.

The sounds of battle -- and the concussive force of Gamil's summoned inferno -- do not go unnoticed. A voice, deep and distorted by the ice, booms from somewhere to the west.

"More meat sent to slaughter by the Red Tyrant. Mark me, woman, I'll have his heart on my plate 'fore all is done. Certain as the winter."

You think you hear the muffled chant of a spell. A few seconds later, icy mist flows out from beneath the rime-covered door to the northwest. The cloud swirls, gathering substance from the water vapor left in the wake of Gamil's spell, taking on a vaguely humanoid shape formed of ice crystals.

frost elemental.png
frost elemental.png (136.26 KiB) Viewed 101 times

Basement3.JPG

Skeleton tries to cut free
Fighting 1d6!!: [4] = 4 , Damage 2d6!!: [2, 5] = 7

Remaining skeleton Wild Attacks Halt and Kaya (2 attacks, -2 MAP, +2 to hit and damage from Wild Attack)
Fighting vs. Halt 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Fighting vs. Kaya 1d6!!: [3] = 3







You're up!

Two frostwights remain, as well as the icy mist creature.

Frostwights: Parry 5; Toughness: 10 (3); Weakness: Fire (+4 damage/-4 to resist)

Icy mist creature (?): Parry 6; Toughness 12 (2); Weaknesses/Qualities ??

Terrain: The icy ground is treacherous. If you move more than half your Pace, you must make an Agility check or fall Prone.



Jaenelle 1d54: [33] = 33 = 8 Clubs
Gamil 1d54: [42] = 42 = 4 Diamonds
Kaya 1d54: [24] = 24 = Queen of Hearts
Halt 1d54: [27] = 27 = 2 Clubs
Vesper 1d54: [23] = 23 = Jack of Hearts
Lelya 1d54: [28] = 28 = 3 Clubs
Layna 1d54: [30] = 30 = 5 Clubs
Aurora (Quick) 1d54: [39] = 39 = Ace of Clubs
Skeletons (Slow) 1d54: [10] = 10 = Jack of Spades 1d54: [39] = 39 = Reroll 1d54: [14] = 14 = 2 Hearts
Rime elemental 1d54: [33] = 33 = Reroll 1d54: [24] = 24 = Reroll 1d54: [48] = 48 = 10 Diamonds

Giving this one to the players
GM Bennies: 8/8
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Attack Rime Elemental 2 Crit fail, Damage 16 AP 1
+1 Marksman
Shooting 1d10!!+1: [1]+1 = 2
Wild 1d6!!+1: [1]+1 = 2
Damage (Heavy Draw) 1d10!!+1d6!!+2: [9]+[5]+2 = 16
Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 3

Vespernys gave a low whistle as something formed out of the icy mist in the far corner.

“Heads up,” she warned the others, though she knew Jaenelle, Halt, and Kaya were dealing with the remaining frost wights. “Layna, can you get that woman out of the cage?”she asked her friend.

Vesper turned her attention back to the large creature entering the room. She didn’t need to move to get a good shot, so she could put some extra strength into her draw before firing.

Unfortunately the freezing moisture was too much for her bow, as well, and her string snapped, too.

Vesper cursed.

***

Torch (held by Jaenelle)(3581 r)
Boost Fighting to d12+1; Parry 9 (3r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Unclaimed Party Loot
Pouch filled with silver coins, each stamped with the twin-headed bull of the Free City of Argos. (Halt or Vesper)
Wizard’s spellbook in cipher: A Discovery Point must be spent to decipher the code. Once that's done, the book is found to contain four spells (one of Veteran or Heroic rank, the rest Seasoned or below) that can be cast as rituals.
A delicate silver bell: Twice a day, the bell can be rung and placed on a dish or serving tray, which must be covered with a lid or napkin. When the covering is removed, the plate will be filled with enough delicious food to serve two people.
***
Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Sword: Smite (lightning), lingering damage; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 33
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Marksman: If she doesn’t move in a turn and fires no more than a Rate of Fire of 1 as her first action, she may add +1 to an Athletics (throwing) or Shooting roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Range, Scale, or Speed. This is a lesser version of the Aim maneuver and does not stack with it. Marksman doesn’t apply to additional attacks after the first.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Aurora
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:18 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Aurora »

"Did you just call me 'Woman', you ice obsessed bastard?! I am Lady Aurora Du Lac and you have a lot of nerve calling someone a tyrant when you go around kidnapping people!"

She can't see the new threat but she can feel the magic. She decides to reserve her own for when she can target whatever it is. She examines the lock of her cell to see how the get free.


OOC Comments
Occult 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Wild Die 1d6: [2] = 2

Bennie spent, back to 3/3.

Occult 1d6: [5] = 5
Wild Die 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Last edited by Aurora on Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATTRIBUTES: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d10, Strength d6, Vigor d8

PACE: 6/d6; PARRY: ; TOUGHNESS: 6

SKILLS:
Athletics d6, Common Knowledge d4, Notice d8 -- +2 when looking for clues, Persuasion d4, Stealth d6, Occult d6, Research d6 +2, Faith d10, Fighting d6, Riding d6, Thievery d6

BENNIES: 3/3
POWER POINTS: 6/15
POWERS: Arcane Protection, Bolt, Boost/Lower Trait, Entangle, Speak Language
User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 3

Vespernys blinked, distracted from trying to change the string on her bow by the woman in the cell.

“What? Who did you say you were?” the tall young noblewoman asked in surprise.

***

Torch (held by Jaenelle)(3581 r)
Boost Fighting to d12+1; Parry 9 (3r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Unclaimed Party Loot
Pouch filled with silver coins, each stamped with the twin-headed bull of the Free City of Argos. (Halt or Vesper)
Wizard’s spellbook in cipher: A Discovery Point must be spent to decipher the code. Once that's done, the book is found to contain four spells (one of Veteran or Heroic rank, the rest Seasoned or below) that can be cast as rituals.
A delicate silver bell: Twice a day, the bell can be rung and placed on a dish or serving tray, which must be covered with a lid or napkin. When the covering is removed, the plate will be filled with enough delicious food to serve two people.
***
Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Sword: Smite (lightning), lingering damage; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 33
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Marksman: If she doesn’t move in a turn and fires no more than a Rate of Fire of 1 as her first action, she may add +1 to an Athletics (throwing) or Shooting roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Range, Scale, or Speed. This is a lesser version of the Aim maneuver and does not stack with it. Marksman doesn’t apply to additional attacks after the first.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.
User avatar
Aurora
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:18 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Aurora »

She -knew- there was something about the way that woman looked. Her eyes moved off of the lock to Vesper. "Lady Aurora Du Lac and you are?"
ATTRIBUTES: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d10, Strength d6, Vigor d8

PACE: 6/d6; PARRY: ; TOUGHNESS: 6

SKILLS:
Athletics d6, Common Knowledge d4, Notice d8 -- +2 when looking for clues, Persuasion d4, Stealth d6, Occult d6, Research d6 +2, Faith d10, Fighting d6, Riding d6, Thievery d6

BENNIES: 3/3
POWER POINTS: 6/15
POWERS: Arcane Protection, Bolt, Boost/Lower Trait, Entangle, Speak Language
Post Reply

Return to “Adventures”