Chapter 5: The Valley of Frozen Tears

Adventures in Russia
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Chapter 5: The Valley of Frozen Tears

Post by Venatus Vinco »

The Valley of Frozen Tears

Searching the rim of the chasm the group uncovers a series of markers left hidden by Angelo's people. The markers lead to a somewhat safe path that descends down to the canyon floor. The massive vehicles struggle on the narrow track but eventually the team slides to the icy floor of the chasm. The high ice walls block out any sun coming in, making it nearly pitch black despite it being nearly midday. Not doubt once the temperate drops this icy chasm will be even colder than the surface.

Shining lights on the walls causes many reflections and shadows, but also shows the outline of frozen oblong shapes that look like beads of water that froze on the canyon wall. Angelo whispers quietly to himself at the sight of these frozen tear drops, "The valley of frozen tears."

Not wanting to find out what makes people cry down here the group presses on, following markers etched into the ice wall and eventually finding the entrance to a massive cavern on the opposite wall of the canyon that looks like a tunnel under the ice. It's pretty clear Angelo's people went this way, and it explains their sudden disappearing act.

Wind howls down the canyon and what little light begins to fade. The cavern is easily large enough for the vehicles, but its hard to penetrate its inky blackness.
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Bryan

Re: Chapter 5: The Valley of Frozen Tears

Post by Bryan »

Bryan peers into the chasm and lets out a low whistle. "I can jetpack down there and scout ahead, if you'd like? Anyone know if there are any kind of predators down there?" he glances toward the russkie.
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Hey Angelo," Steelbrok quietly asks, "Is this somewhere your people ever spoke of? Been before? Planned on coming to? You seem to know something about this place"

In the meantime he keeps a sharp lookout, glad to be unimpeded by the darkness
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics
Bennies 4 (Q3 reset, now have Luck))
Wounds 0 (ignore 1 point of penalties)
Parry 6 (7 with Vlad), Toughness 23(8) in light cyborg plate

'Vlad' The Impaler d12+2d8+2 MD AP16 (Harmonic Blade, REACH 2! +1 Fighting, +1 Parry
'Velma' the Vibro Longsword d12+d10+2 MD AP10
'Violet' the NG-56 Light Ion Pistol 10/20/40 3d8/2d8/1d8 +2 to Shooting 12 Shots (ROF3 with Imp Rapid Fire)
'Vera' the NG303 Railgun 30/60/120 Damage 2d10+2 MD AP6 20 Shots of 5* bursts each Ignore Sloped Armour *from Imp Rapid Fire
Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Danger Sense, First Strike, Steady Hands (no Unstable Platform Penalty, Running penalty -1)
Don't Forget Elan!

Fighting d6+2 (+1 with Vlad), Shooting d8, Notice d6+4
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Steelbrok looks around. He realises he's been enjoying himself too much in this strange new world and just letting himself being carried along by events. It's about time he got a grip of himself and the situation.

"Listen up!" Warrant-Lieutenant Paris of His Majesty's Army barked, "Maks, give these tracks a good look over, see if they're consistent with what Angelo think's his family would leave. Par! Give Makenna a hand and rest up those arcane powers of yours.
Thursday! Get high and keep your eyes open. Don't forget to look up as well as each way along this crevasse.
Palach! Make sure the vehicles are in go condition and are positioned to roll. Could be into this cave or back the way we came. Either way we want to be able to do it quickly.
Bryan! I want you just inside that cave mouth. Make sure you use your scope. You're on overwatch for the scouting party.
Damien! You and I are going to take a little walk into this cave, you want to have a gun or a sword to hand? If you go ranged I'll have Vlad to hand, you prefer hand to hand and I'll keep Vera out."
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

'Vlad' The Impaler d12+2d8+2 MD AP16 (Harmonic Blade, REACH 2! +1 Fighting, +1 Parry
'Violet' the NG-56 Light Ion Pistol 10/20/40 3d8/2d8/1d8 +2 to Shooting 12 Shots (ROF3 with Imp Rapid Fire)
'Vera' the NG303 Railgun 30/60/120 Damage 2d10+2 MD AP6 20 Shots of 5* bursts each Ignore Sloped Armour *from Imp Rapid Fire
Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Danger Sense, First Strike, Steady Hands (no Unstable Platform Penalty, Running penalty -1)
Don't Forget Elan!

steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

OOC Comments
Assumes people are happy with the above plan and Damien prefers melee weapons
Steelbrok advances cautiously into the cave, keeping as clear as possible of Bryan's arc of fire and looking to not get too far away from Damien. Vera swings lightly in his hands with Violet and Velma on his belt and Vlad in a back/shoulder carry. He scans the cave as they carefully move forward

General observation: 1d6!!+4 360 degrees, no lighting penalties
Ldd1d6!!+4

Danger Sense (if needed)
1d6!!+4 -2 for Danger Sense (sorry, forgot) = 6
Ldd1d6!!+4 -2 = 7

Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Par

Post by Par »

+1 Support to Makenna Griggs
1d10!!Ld1d6!!
Lpp1d4!!Ld1d6!!(pddLHFLH.)
Par starts looking around the area for other more subtle signs. Something here must be relevant and show information they did not expect to leave. As he clears his mind he realizes scratches in the ice, small forgotten items or even stains such as from food or wounds could all be significant. As he begins noticing details he points them out to @Makenna Griggs to see if any of them make sense to her. "Perhaps this is relevant?"
Partum Artifex Resource Special Note: Parry: 2; Toughness: 15 (7), Notice d10+2/+4 Danger Sense, Sixth Sense, Ignores Illumination, 360 degree vision
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Into the Darkness
It doesn't take long for the group to find more markings from Angelo's people. They are cleverly hidden but once you know what to look for it is much easier. The temperature warms as the group descends further into the massive cave. There is some sort of geothermal heating going on. The massive vehicles scrape along the sidewalls and navigate the steep inclines.

After a long while in pitch blackness a massive cavern opens up to reveal an underground shanty town. It's warm and lit by any number of torches and modern lights, casting long eerie shadows. Angelo is quickly able to talk his way past the guards, whom he seems to know, and the group is allowed to enter on foot.

"Welcome to my home. It isn't much but it is warm and hidden from the warlords. We will find babushka and ask about your thief but first, perhaps some eating and dancing!"

OOC: The cavern is your oyster. What would you like to do?
Signature
Makenna Griggs

Post by Makenna Griggs »

OOC Comments
Holding this spot for any rolls.
Makenna considers Angelo's question, then takes a look at her party members and takes note of a few of them. Steelbrok, Par, Thursday... They all have amazing abilities, and probably more than one way to see farther than her normal eyes could. Considering the vast terrain they had to travel to get here, she considers how likely it would be for enemies to find them before she ever saw them coming. "Does this place sell any cybernetics?" She asks.
Makenna Griggs
Makenna Griggs

Pace: d10 (10); Parry: 7; Toughness: 15(6); Strain: 0

Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; Bennies: 4/3
Par

Post by Par »

Parlux around fascinated by the display. That something like this could exist hidden away is exactly the reason why he wanted to be able to travel. Although he always wanted to follow in his father's footsteps and to impress his father. Being so atracted to exploration and such a strong wanderlust was something that he had inherited and it remained long after he died. Looking over at Angelo Par says. "I would love to dance and eat and join your friends this is amazing."

His heart set on learning all he could Par heads down into the cavern to learn all he could of these wonderful people.
Partum Artifex Resource Special Note: Parry: 2; Toughness: 15 (7), Notice d10+2/+4 Danger Sense, Sixth Sense, Ignores Illumination, 360 degree vision
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Looks around, fascinating place. He can't help thinking it reminds him of somewhere.

With a few hand gestures and some miming he is invited to eat. He's quite happy to
immune to poisons but only needs 1/5 nutrition
whatever is placed in front of him but quickly fills up.

And then there is
pFd4!!-2, Ldd1d6!!-2
. Turns out this cyborg can be pretty groovy and he thoroughly enjoys showing off his moves!
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Thursday

Post by Thursday »

Thursday peers around, amazed that there are hidden underground cities sprawling with people.

"It's like a hoard, but with a bunch of people instead of a dragon."

Thursday sniffs around and hears the word 'eat.'

"Eat? Now that you mention it, it has been a while since I've last eaten. I'm hungry!"

I don't need food, I just want to eat for the simple fact of wanting to taste things. None of these creatures would know about that, though... right? I don't see any dragon experts in the group... unless one's undercover!

Thursday finds something to munch on (
Don't need to eat, but eat for the pleasure of tasting food. Also, immune to the Hazards of cold, heat, hunger, thirst, disease, poison, drowning, electricity, and radiation
). Thursday follows the walking metal man, Steelbrok to eat with him. When Steelbrok grooves, Thursday looks very concerned while watching him and then

Performance: 1d4-2!!
Explosion! : 1d4!!
A total of (4+3-2=) 5
Wild Die: 1d6!!
along with him.

How does he eat? Does he need to eat? What is he even doing? Is this a battle stance? I don't know, but it's a bit neat. I'll give it a try.

Thursday is not sure about dancing, or even what he is doing, but he's vibin' and going through the motions.
Thursday is always on vacation trips
Thursday the Unique Dragon
Thursday

Bennies: 11

Wounds: 0/4 Fatigue: 0/2

Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d4, Strength d12+3, Vigor d10

Pace: 6 Walk / 12 Fly; Parry: 7; Toughness: 35 (16 of which is Armor); Strain: 0

PPE: 30/30 ISP: 20/20
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Emboldened by the positive reception of his killer dance moves, Steelbrok is moved to song:

Friday night and the lights are low
Found a real nice place to go
Where they play the right music
Getting in the swing
You looking at a king
No-one else can be this borg
Night is young and the music's high
With a bit of rock music
Everything is fine
I'm in the mood to dance
And when I get my chance

I am the dancing borg,
sleek and steel
Only Seasoned 1
Dancing borg
Feel the beat from the tambourine, oh yeah
I can dance
I can jive
Having the time of my life
Ooh, see this borg
Watch this scene
Digging the dancing borg .
Digging the dancing borg ..
Digging the dancing borg ...
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Eat, Drink, and be Merry

This Romani enclave is the first quasi-safe place the team has been since arriving in the frozen wastes of Russia. The caves are warmed by deep geothermal currents and the glow of torches bathes everything in a soft light. It is an oasis in a desert of ice and snow.

Thanks to Thursday and Steelbrok the group is well received! The pair put on a show never before seen in these parts, one measure dancing and five measures of enthusiasm. Their gusto makes up for any deficiency in skill. Soon, dancing, singing, and eating breaks out all over the camp. It is a joyous moment.

Then, Angelo stands on a box and begins to tell the story of the 1st SET-their unexpected arrival, their showdown with Sokolov, their chase across the ice fields, and their terrible mission to save the world. Angelo is quite the orator and the story stirs the hearts of everyone listening. For a brief moment the group forgets they are far from home.
Interlude

Makenna can write a story about getting cybernetics
Par can talk about how he explores the new culture but deals with lack of Sunlight
Everyone else can roll a d4: 1- Hearts, 2 - Diamonds, 3 - Clubs, 4 - Spades and write an interlude using the rules in Savage Worlds

Everyone take a Benny, and one more when you finish your interlude.
Signature
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

(post pending, just rolling my interlude/card)

1d4

Club Card – A Great Victory!!

2095 (three years before the Cataclysm)

I’m pretty good at sneaking around, getting into places, you know? But these blokes from Special Reconnaissance? They’re very good. Very, very good.

When I first started hacking you could sit somewhere comfy, feet up with a drink handy. As long as you has a decent signal you could make your hack. Then I started getting some of the more…interesting… jobs. You had to physically connect to electronic locks, break into buildings to rip data from systems isolated from the net. That’s how I ended up in the Army. They plucked me out of court before my open and shut case was heard and after basic training I was hacking for the army, just improving their ICE at first, back to the small jobs. That was five years ago. Now I’m trusted, back on the important stuff. I like the Army, you get military grade hardware and the right cyber, though the QM can get a bit shirty about unauthorised rebuilds of computers and comms equipment.

And that’s how I ended up on this mission. Sneaking into a Northern Eagle base and hoping none of those mutant dogs the Americans are so fond of pick up our scent.

The NE bases in England were too difficult to crack. The Spec-Recce guys let slip that there’d been a couple of attempts to get into the base in East Anglia. Unsuccessful attempts. Apparently the big gun on those G10 powered armours doesn’t leave much behind when it hits someone. In fact rumour control says that the General Staff are conducting an urgent review of our Robot Vehicles. Are they still viable with guns like that on the battlefield?

So, here we are in Iceland. Did you know they’re having lots of earthquakes? And for some reason they are more likely around the solstices. And the summer one is….just about now…
The quakes should trigger a small eruption on a nearby volcano. Not too serious (hopefully) but enough to disrupt the base’s sensor net.

Another good thing about solstice in Iceland? Never really gets dark. So, those doggies lose the advantage of their night vision and have lots of nice low sun in their sensitive eyes! Now the psychic corps boys reckon that those mutant dogs have some extra senses. Which is why we had Bernie along. Bernie with the studs from a Mind Over Matter conversion. But Bernie’s is special., Bernie’s is supposed to enhance his psychic abilities. Apparently he’ll be able to screen us from the mutie doggies.

We’d spent two days slowly moving through this boulder field, away from Keflavik, the Icelandic town, getting as close as we could to this base. My back was still sore even though we’d been resting up for ten hours now. Ten hours of waiting for just this moment.

There was a sense of vibration in my feet. Then a rumbling and the ground began to shake. Pebbles vibrated away from my boots. I steadied myself against one of the boulders. It was warm from the twenty-three odd hours of sunshine, Warm and shifting ever so slightly. The MOM guy was concentrating, his forehead beaded in sweat that pooled around his implants. It seemed like the sun got ever so slightly dimmer and he nodded to us. It was time to go

We ran. We ran quietly. Every piece of equipment secured, nothing flapping and brushing against something. Even our water bottles left behind to avoid sloshing sounds. Boots with sound dampening soles, uniforms designed specifically to blend onto the rocks around us.
We still stayed low, rifle in one hand, the other free to help us over or round obstacles. The two SR guys went in front with me and the MOM following. We could hear activity from the base, extra patrols, some confusion.
At a hand signal from our leader we went to ground and waited. Ten feet of glittering powered armour passed in front of us. That armour might be good against lasers but they’re very easy to see. But they’d followed their SOP when the base’s sensor grid was affected. Set out a perimeter guard. We could hear the whine of motors and grinding of rock as the colossal power armour anchored itself. The Chrome Guardsman’s big, nasty gun was active now. But only to its front arc….

We waited to see it had support. Nothing…. Dear, oh dear.

Now was the time to be truly careful. We inched our way around it, keeping out of sight, straining our senses for any signs of an infantry patrol. Once behind the big bugger, we all breathed an almost, but not quite, silent sigh of relief. My moment now.

The Special Reconnaissance blokes went to either side and Bernie the MOM went up close to the back of the gleaming power armour and went to one knee, hands up to form a step. Five running steps and a boost from the MOM. I was up, the Guardsman was trying to turn his (her? It’s?) head to see but I’d landed on the rear ammo hopper. And before it could sweep me with an arm I’d got the dataport open and inserted my Link.

My HUD let me track and guide the intrusion software. The suit’s dataport was designed to accept software upgrades, it’s designers hadn’t thought anyone would be mad enough to try this stunt. A massive arm flailed, trying to dislodge me, but I’d spent days scrambling over a mock up of the armour while people tried to push me off, I kept clear. I could faintly hear the pilot calling for help. She, turns out it was a she, must have been really yelling into her radio for me to hear through all that armour. Not much use though. Her comm system thought it was upgrading but kept getting looped back to the same false upgrade. Pretty nice program if I do say so myself. In the meantime the core operating system was being copied – and one or two little glitches added!

It didn’t take long, which was just as well as the sight of a ten foot tall light reflecting power armour trying to scratch its back had caught the attention of a Yank patrol.

There were six of them, three humans and three doggies. Doggies with guns! Can you believe it? I suppose the sight of some nutter sliding from one shoulder to another of the world’s premier power armour made them pause. Bad luck for them. The rest of my team put two of the handlers down before they realised I wasn’t alone. I just had time to load a patch into the software running the Guardsman only comm channel. Luckily for me the programs had finished running and I dropped onto a rock and then the ground as the fire fight erupted. The Spec-Recce types and I managed to hold the rest of the patrol off but we knew we had to break contact before they got help. I couldn’t see our MOM and wondered if the stories about them wigging out in combat were true.

But then I saw something incredible. Bernie just leaped into the air, banged one foot of the Guardsman to twist in mid-air, shooting down at the Yanks before landing in the middle of them. Contact over. Good night doggies and handlers. It’s fair to say my jaw dropped. But we didn’t have time to be amazed. We ran. Ran hard through the boulder field. And, soon, ran with the hounds of DC chasing us. Hounds that reported back to more of the glittering monster power armour suits. They fired those big guns just to scare us and let us know they were chasing. Damn, they are loud! As we ran we tossed out gear, we all had civvies under our coveralls, once at the town we’d be safe. They wouldn’t want to fire into the crowds.

Then we hit trouble. Three of the suits had got ahead of us. They were closing up, coming from our right-front. They must have wanted us alive to see exactly what we’d done because they didn’t try to fire. Just aiming to get in front of us so their foot patrols could catch up.

“Keep going,” I yelled, “Straight at them!”

Remember that little bit of code that went into the Guardsman comm channel? Didn’t I explain? Ah, well, as we raced forward the power armours raised their weapons - and suddenly it looked like they were trying to do 1,000 metre steps! Not even the most agile powered armour can do that and suddenly we were racing past them into the town. I couldn’t resist, I ran OVER one of the suits.

A couple of days later we were in the mess having a wet debrief, Bernie pointed at me, “Come on, what did you do to those suits?”

“Ah,” I paused for effect, “It appears that those super duper powered armour suits don’t like it when they get an upgrade that swaps the feeds between their weapon targeting systems and their mobility software. When they put us in their sights the guns kept saying the target was only a metre away and wouldn’t fire. And their legs tried to step 200 metres and…”

I grinned and raised my glass, “The glittery armour did the splits!”
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Thursday

Post by Thursday »

Thursdays Interlude

"So far on my trip, I've met up with a few interesting figures. They treated me better than most of the others back at base. They're a bit strange, but they have their uses. They have more uses than being just meat shields and they give me a good bit of freedom. Back at the base, most people seemed to not care much for me. I wasn't really allowed to go anywhere either. I'd try to disguise myself and use magic to wander around the base, but they eventually found out it was me and got mad. They gave me a place to stay and entertainment every now and again so I decided to let them live. I had a few that I preferred over there. Some would read me stories and teach me about the world. However, only so much could be taught in a short time-span. It didn't take long until they took me out with these other people and suddenly we are in this strange land. However, now that I am given new opportunities and new subjects, I could work on building my hoard and increase my subjects. So far I prefer these people more than those back at my original base, but now I have to rebuild my collection."

(Steelbrok) "We have the metal man... Steel-guy or something like that. He's made of some durable metal and is quite strong. He often wields big weapons that quickly make minced meat (or metal) of our opponents. He also taught me this thing called "dancing." I don't know what it is but the other people here like it, so I guess it's good. He also likes to talk. Other than that, he is definitely a capable fighter and an amazing minion. He's also shiny."

(Par) "Then there's the walking tree. He has some powers similar to mine, however, it appears that he dislikes using them. It's kind of odd, if I remembered to use magic more I'd use them more often. Some kind of conflicting ideals - those will just get in the way. If he was less hesitant, he'd make an excellent minion."

(Bryan) "Fly-guy is also an interesting one, he wears something that gives him similar abilities to me and my flight. I don't know much about him, which makes me a bit cautious, but I have not seen many humanoids fly so I guess he's unique. Potential minion material."

(Makenna) "The lady with the rifle is scary. I don't know much about her either, but it appears she too may be looking for minions. I'll have to be careful, she seems too smart to easily be a minion. I'll need to watch myself and make sure I don't end up the minion."

(Damien) "That one guy... the uh... Moomoo Hunter? I don't remember, but he seems a bit off from the others, he has weird capabilities but seems mostly normal. Not sure about him, but he hasn't caused any problems. He could make a good minion."

(Angelo) "One of the more recent members. I have to see more of what we can get out of him, but so far he has decent skills. Nothing too crazy like being mostly made of metal or controlling others minds, a bit more subtle - which might be good. I'll need to learn more about him before I decide if he can be a good minion."

(Palach)"He talks a bit different than the others, I guess it's because he's a native here. He's a shoot first, ask questions later - makes for a good minion at times. He also shares an enemy with us, so hopefully he remains when that is all done."

"If I wish to grow a substantial hoard I must have more minons - and a dead minion is not at all a good minion, so I must try my best to ensure their survival as well if I wish to continue my goal. I should also find a place to store my hoard since I don't know where my old home is. First the hoard-room, then the hoard. I shall have all the shiny things."
Thursday

Pace: 6 Walk / 12 Fly; Parry: 7; Toughness: 35 (16 of which is Armor); Strain: 0

Makenna Griggs

Post by Makenna Griggs »

After getting some directions to someone who might sell cybernetics from Angelo, Makenna decides to take her time heading there. There's so many interesting things here, after all. And it's not every day that one gets teleported to another country and is given the chance to experience another culture.

She explores all of the shops she can find. Normally, she would find expensive things that could be resold for a profit elsewhere, but she is surprised to find that, this time, she considers items that she thinks her team members might like.

Thursday would probably love that statue, even if it wasn't real gold. It was shiny enough. Did Par like plants? He was made of wood, after all, and he might appreciate a plant that could survive the cold Russian climate. Steelbrok probably wouldn't have any use for some cheap knife, given how many other weapons he was outfitted with. Palach and Angelo were newer to the party, so Makenna isn't sure what they'd like. Would it be rude to get gifts for only certain people, and not others?

Maybe lugging around a bunch of gifts while they're still trying to find their thief isn't a good idea, but maybe they could stop by this place again on their way back. She would have more time to think about what she would want to buy. So she finally makes her way to the cybernetics seller, and haggles a reasonable price for some optic enhancements. Getting them installed in this hidden, remote place is a little nerve-wracking, but she gets it done anyways. Finally, she returns to the rest of the group, mission accomplished.
Makenna Griggs
Makenna Griggs

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Respite

Warm and relatively safe the team takes some time to decompress while Angelo makes arrangements to meet the Romani "witch" Sokolov spoke of. If he had his way she would be dead, so that made her a potentially ally or a very frightening enemy. The way things work in Russia is she is probably both. After a few days of well deserved rest Angelo guides the team deeper into the cave structure. Par finds the deep, dark, depths of the earth particularly unnerving. Not only from the lack of sunlight but from an old, powerful, magic that permeates the area. Its not a nexus but definitely an ancient place of power.

After crossing a massive chasm on a swaying rope bridge that was definitely not up to code the group finds themselves at the mouth of a small cave. Par, Thursday, and Damien can feel the power coming from the place. Inside the cave is warmly lit by a brazier burning some sort of coal like substance. Colourful rugs and hangings adorn the space giving it an exotic look. A low stone table sits at the middle of the room, a woman sits cross legged at the table peering into what looks like a crystal ball. A fancy tea service sits in the middle of the table and a place is set for each member of the group.

She does nothing to hide her nature, for those who care to look with their mystic senses (detect arcana). She appears to be human but radiates massive mystical energy with an aura of otherworldly power (AB Miracles). Those familiar with the Grey Seers of North America recognize some similarities. She also seems to be much older than her appearance belies.

The seer looks up as you enter, "Welcome travellers. I have seen some of your journey already, and some of what lies ahead. Sit, drink and eat, and we will see what your future holds."
Signature
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

Radecliffe crouches at the edge of the tree line and pulls his pelt cloak tighter around him as he surveys the scene ahead of him. The wind had nearly obliterated the traces of the vehicles that had passed this way some time earlier but to his experienced eyes traces are all he needs. He figures there must be some kind of human or D-Bee settlement down there somewhere or at least a road or track that would lead somewhere. The more important question that gnawed at him was whether he could afford to risk following it to wherever it went. His eyes grow distant as his mind drifts back to 41 days ago when this strange journey began.

He had been tracking a demon that had trespassed on his home territory doing a lot of damage and disrupting the natural order. With most invaders he would just keep and eye on them until they left his territory. If he had to he'd offer some gentle encouragement to hurry them on their way. Nothing like a swarm of rodents invading tents and stealing supplies to discourage interlopers. But in this case Radecliffe knew this creature wasn't just going to go away and would have to be dealt with permanently. After nearly a week on the thing's trail he and Fang had been able to catch up with it and with Fang's help to keep the beast distracted he had been able to take it down once and for all. It had only been a minor demon but even so such a creature would have been all kinds of trouble if it had been left unchecked.

Almost as soon as the fight had ended Radecliffe noticed the glow that suggested a nearby ley line. Ignoring his normal caution he signaled to Fang and they set off to investigate. This turned out to be a very poor decision on his part because as he came within sight of it he discovered that it wasn't just a ley line but in fact a nexus! Not only that but almost as soon as they came close they found themselves face to face with an active Rift! Radecliffe was experienced with arcane lore but this was his first Rift and he hesitated for only a moment but it was a moment too long. Like a tornado that pulls trees out of the ground like sticks this vortex swept Radecliffe and Fang from their feet and sucked them into it's swirling maw only to spit them back out again moments later. It didn't take Radecliffe long to figure out he was not where he had been even though they were still in the woods, the ground was still covered in snow and it was still freezing cold. Radecliffe spent weeks exploring this new land as best he could, his survival skills (and Fang) serving him well so they didn't freeze or starve. Radecliffe knew, however, he couldn't just keep wandering around this new forest indefinitely. Sooner or later he had to find a way home and to do that he had to know where he was. While he knew he wasn't where he used to be it only took the first clear night to realize the stars had changed and just how very, very far from home he was.

Shaking his head he brought himself back to the present and his current problem. Sooner or later I have to make contact with somebody. It will be a risk no matter what I do and I just can't keep wandering around lost forever. In for a penny, in for a pound as Momma used to say. Making up his mind he waits until early the next morning to start making his way stealthily to the edge of the chasm and down the cliff. Once at the bottom he lets Fang take the lead and it doesn't them long to discover the tunnel leading underground. Steeling himself he creeps into the darkness of the tunnel making his way slowly downward. It doesn't take long before he starts to notice that it was getting warmer and he could detect a faint light up ahead. He smells the vehicles ahead long before he sees them. Must be on the right track. I hope.

Stopping at the edge of the light Radecliffe takes a minute to recon the area identifying the guards and reassuring himself that these people aren't overtly hostile. Finally stepping into the light Radecliffe strides forward and stops about 10 yards from the guards and sits cross-legged setting his weapons on the ground in front of him. Placing his fingertips on the ground next to him he feels the power of Mother Earth reverberating through him. Mother Gaia, protect and guide me once again as you always do. Next to him Fang sits on his haunches, yellow eyes gazing calmly at the human guards.
Last edited by Radecliffe on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Radecliffe
Player: James
Active Alts: Jim Cannon, Jame Graeme, Dorn GiantSlayer, Steele

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Pace: 8; Running Die: d8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(4); Strain: 6/6; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Agility: Athletics d8, Fighting d8, Shooting d6, Stealth d8, Thievery d8
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Healing d6+2, Language (American) d8, Notice d8, Occult d10, Psionics d10, Survival d10+2
Spirit: Persuasion d4

steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Well, the metal minion muses to himself, that was pleasant. A few days without being shot at, food and booze. And swapping dance moves. Even got my armour polished. He quickly checks his equipment: Vera, Violet, Velma, Vlad.

An hour later he was feeling less relaxed. That bridge was...interesting....(might ask Thursday for a lift next time). and now we finally get to meet the wise woman? witch? leader? of the cavern people. The arcane types seem to notice something but whatever it is it just washes over the cyborg. She looks sharp. Whatever she tells us, she'll have hew own agenda. Just need to make sure hers and ours really do rub along the same lines.
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Viktor Konnikov

Post by Viktor Konnikov »

The juice pumped through his veins. It was soothing yet for some reason it always seemed to let out the inner demons. Calmiville was still on Viktor’s mind always getting flashes of what he had done. Everything covered in blood his hands his clothes. Standing on top of the bodies. Shortly after he snapped out of it coming back to the world.

He was in Kingsdale. So many people around always made Viktor nervous should he rage out again, but this was the only way. He was in town looking for a local shifter. The guilt was eating him alive and had spent quite a bit for the meet. The shop was small and relatively out of sight. Upon entering it was covered in books, tomes, and various arcane supplies. The shifter spoke up as he was opening up the portal, “Why Russia? I hear that place is terrible. I mean I could transport you somewhere more warm and exotic.”

“I like de kold. Makes me feel all warm an fuzzy. Also most of de children and weaklings stay away. Tell no one where I went.” He then stepped through and into the cold.

“Finally! I am home.” He stood there on the hilltop letting the cold envelop him like a lost friend. After a few weeks of searching he found a trail of a group and followed it down an icy channel into a wide open cavern. It was a bit warmer here and definitely broke the chill.

Entering he greeted the guards “Don’t worry, I know I am big man even for you. I am just looking for some work. Hopefully you have something to do that requires my enormous biceps? Also I could use some vodka!”
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Bryan happily takes a cup of tea, and sips it too fast at first, burning his lips. After he's warmed up a bit, he looks to the woman. "Thank you so much for the tea, it's very delicious." he rubs his hands together a bit, feeling a chill starting to settle into his bones. "I'm not sure if you speak American even, but if you can do what I think you can, Do you know where we can find this thief?"
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Steelbrok sits himself down, "Tea! How civilised, these Americans thing the world runs on coffee!" he smiles at the woman.

"Your feller, Angelo, said you would point us in the right direction. We need to recover some magic rings before a Dark Lord uses them to burn the world down. And maybe then find a handy volcano." He takes a swig of the tea, "An anti-teleport spell or thingamajig might be useful if you have one lying around," he leans forward to whisper, "Just between you and me some of this crew can be a bit slow on the trigger finger and end up letting the thief get away."

He uses what's left of his tongue to worry at the tea leaves stuck between his teeth, making a note to stock up on decent tea and a strainer when he finally gets to Blighty.
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Unfortune Teller

Sitting down to warm tea, the heroes guardedly share their experiences with the seer. She introduces herself as Marta and claims to be able to read fortunes. She has a very good understanding of what has happened to the group so far, but much of it Angelo could have told her. Then again, it is easy for Par, Damien, and Thursday to sense her strong mystical powers.

After exchanging pleasantries and information she peers into her crystal ball.

"Your thief is a slippery being. Do not be too hard on yourselves. It is ancient, and has been stealing since before our progenitors walked the earth. That you have stayed on its trail this long is a testament to you, and to fate's intervention in your favour."

"Solovey-Razboynik, Solovei the Brigand in American, was called the Nightingale. Part man, part bird, in ancient times it made its nest where the Volga and Oka rivers meet and would prey upon paupers and princes alike." As she speaks her crystal ball projects and image of a bird-like creature with dark feathers and glowing eyes.

"Like many birds, it has a propensity for shiny things. It also has a deadly song. When the Brigand sings, all the grasses and meadows become entangled, the azure flowers lose their petals, all the dark woods bend down to the earth, and all the people there lie dead!. Once its scream levelled all the palaces of Valdimir, Prince of Kiev. The great bogatyr Ilya Murometz slew the Nightingale by cutting off its head."

"Yet, demons do not die, only return to their own realm in shame. The Great Cataclysm re-opened the gates and the Nightingale once again prowls the earth seeking baubles, trinkets, and misery."

She sucks in her breath sharply, "But it is not the Nightingale you should fear, but the one it serves. Chort, lord of the demons. The Americans call him the dark prince. Chort seeks the Nine Rings of Elder to bring his legions to earth and over run it. Already packs of demons prowl the motherland but a wave unlike any seen in days past or present awaits us if Chort controls all nine rings."

"As we are all still alive, the exchange has not happened. No doubt the Nightingale is loathe to part with his shiny trophy. There may yet be time to stop it."
Signature
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

@Viktor Konnikov and @Radecliffe

Your entry to the the Romani enclave is not welcomed, however, you are also not denied. Before too long you both, as obvious strangers, find yourselves before a charming young Romani named Angelo. He greets you with a wide smile and a charming personality. You know he's probably coning you, but you somehow feel like you should like him anyway.

"More travellers! I think it is not a coincidence you are here. A gathering of heroes is underway and you are just in time to join them! Come have a drink, ask questions, and then I can show you to the others."
Signature
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Well, he thinks, it's good to know we're only able to keep on the trail due to fate! The only thing this old witch has told us is that we need to chop its head off (he idly fingers the hilt of Vlad). Nothing said about how to find the damn thing, though.

Though if we find the Volga and follow it until it meets the Oka, that would be a start, I suppose. A sword, though.

If we're going up the Volga we'd go through Stalingrad. And there's a sword there, wonder if it's some sort of relic nowadays?
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Viktor Konnikov

Looking to Radecliffe then back to Angelo. "Of course friend, it would be very rude to decline your hospitality. You said a meeting of adventurers, what brings them here? Hopefully we have something worthy to hunt down and tangle with." He takes the offered drink and downs it in a gulp. Looking back to Radecliffe, he smiles. "New friend, what is your name? I am Viktor! Drink, and let us join these adventurers." He slaps Radcliffe a little too hard in the shoulder, smiling all the while.
Par

Post by Par »

Returning from his evening with the Romani and the enjoyable time he was able to spend with them Par feels refreshed, like something in him was restored to as it should be. As they gather in front of the fortune teller and she explains what is going on Par listens to the story and information enraptured.

He does not know how to use this information yet. The creature is faster ad older than all of them, and even if they defeat it, they will only by time before it returns again. This will mean something different must be tried. Perhaps more important than recovering just this one ring, would be to find the others and destroy of hide one or more of them. If it is even possible to do that. He looks to the others to see what they are thinking not wanting to embarrass himself by saying something foolish.
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Looking over the two newcomers, Steelbrok wonders if (but hopes that) a tree hugger and a druggie will be useful parts of the team. If nothing else the tree hugger (Psi-Druid, Psi-Druid, must remember to call him that!) will be handy for looking after Par (and might get him to stop moping about how bad his luck is...). And the (what's the correct term? Juicer?) looks like they'll be capable in a fight until his heart bursts. Hope they brought some warm clothes and some decent booze with them.
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Thursday

Post by Thursday »

Thursday thinks for a moment.

"So the Demons came out of a portal just like I did? Does that mean I could be a demon?!

Other than that, he doesn't really absorb much other information quite well, aside from the fact that it'll be hard to "kill" and that there are stronger demons. Also to protect his shinies, since the demon and Thursday enjoy shinies.

When the newcomers approach he eyes them carefully. Who are they? More potential minions? Or are they possible threats? I'll have to keep my eyes on them just in case they try something fishy.
Thursday

Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

Venatus Vinco wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:30 am @Viktor Konnikov and @Radecliffe

Your entry to the the Romani enclave is not welcomed, however, you are also not denied. Before too long you both, as obvious strangers, find yourselves before a charming young Romani named Angelo. He greets you with a wide smile and a charming personality. You know he's probably coning you, but you somehow feel like you should like him anyway.

"More travellers! I think it is not a coincidence you are here. A gathering of heroes is underway and you are just in time to join them! Come have a drink, ask questions, and then I can show you to the others."
Radecliffe rises to his feet in a smooth motion ignoring Viktor for a moment to scowl at the stranger who calls himself Angelo "A traveller I am and a lost one at that. My first question is where is this place? That I still walk upon Mother Earth I am sure but the stars aren't quite right and the land is unfamiliar to me."
Viktor Konnikov wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:39 am Looking to Radecliffe then back to Angelo. "Of course friend, it would be very rude to decline your hospitality. You said a meeting of adventurers, what brings them here? Hopefully we have something worthy to hunt down and tangle with." He takes the offered drink and downs it in a gulp. Looking back to Radecliffe, he smiles. "New friend, what is your name? I am Viktor! Drink, and let us join these adventurers." He slaps Radcliffe a little too hard in the shoulder, smiling all the while.
Turning his attention to the giant that calls himself Viktor, "My name is Radecliffe though if you like feel free to call me Rad. To be honest I don't use my name much and sometimes it's hard to remember." Gesturing to the wolf still sitting at his side he continues, "and this is my friend Fang. Before you ask he is not my pet so please don't treat him like one. He thinks that's rude." Radcliffe smiles ruefully at the large man and shrugs, "All we want to do is return home but so far that has been easier said than done. Maybe it's been Gaia's plan all along to set me on this path." Shrugging again he concludes, "I guess it won't hurt to meet these adventurers and hear their story. Perhaps that's what I'm here for wherever here is."
Radecliffe

Pace: 8; Running Die: d8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(4); Strain: 6/6; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Healing d6+2, Language (American) d8, Notice d8, Occult d10, Psionics d10, Survival d10+2

Makenna Griggs

Post by Makenna Griggs »

Makenna takes a moment to think over the grim warning this woman has given. Finally she speaks up. "Is there anything you can give us to help us stop this exchange? Any items, or even information about weaknesses or effective tactics to use against them?"
Makenna Griggs
Makenna Griggs

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Fortune and Glory, Kid

Marta tries her best to answer questions. Regarding @steelbrok's anti-teleportation device or @Makenna Griggs's request for an item that might help she looks bemused, "I have heard of wizards from America who can build devices with machines and magic. Nothing of that can be found here. A mystic kuznya could fashion restraints for you that would not only bind the creature from teleportation but trap it on this plane. Beheading it while so entangled could permanently destroy it. However, not even our bravest bogytar have managed such a feat. And finding a cooperative kuznya would perhaps be an even greater feat." She stops and smiles mischievously, "Although I was married to one once."

"I could point you in his direction, although mentioning my name may hurt your cause."

She goes on about the other rings for a moment, "From your own vision it seems Chort has collected some rings of his own. Most were lost until a mystic kingdom in America unearthed them to fight against their enemies. I am sure you are more familiar with this conflict than I am. Deny him this one, and you will make an enemy of him but it may create the time you need to return home and search for the others."

"As for home, there are three links to America known to us Romani. If you defeat the Nightingale and secure the ring I can give you their location. You will still need a sorcerer to open the portals."

She looks up, "The confluence of the Oka and Volga is a now a ruined city. The Nightingale has no doubt returned home to its roost. If you follow the Volga north you will reach it eventually. If you wish to find my ex-husband you will need to find him. He travels from village to village along the Volga lending his talents to those he deems worthy."
Signature
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Fast Friends

@Viktor Konnikov and @Radecliffe quickly make introductions, while their charming host Angelo plies them with food and drink. The food is simple and the drink is strong and soon their bellies are warm.

"I am Angelo. This is my family," he makes a sweeping gesture at the entire underground encampment. "and we are in Russia. ver much still on earth. The greatest part of it in fact!"

He takes a drinks at that before continuing, "our seer foretold there would be visitors from afar and sent me to bring them here. The first person they encountered, Warlord Sokolov, is a madman and we barely escaped with our lives. Now they must complete their task before returning home. Marta, the fortune teller, knows the secret ways back to your homeland. Surely when they have done their great deed they will take you back with them. Marta says they will need your help."

Standing, Angelo fires back another drink.

"Come, I will talk you to them!"

OOC: You can grill Angelo along the way if you have any further questions.
Signature
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Steelbrok smiles at the seer, making sure that the candle light glints of his stainless steel incisors and giving a dashing nod of his head,

"So, dear lady, if we can't kill Nightingale without binding and beheading him, will our mundane weapons at least damage or slow him down?"

He pauses, "And speaking of your ex-husband (and how foolish he must have been to have lost such a treasure as yourself!), what do his tastes run to now? Should we offer him good booze, coin, has he moved on to blondes or would he find an animate tree of interest?"

(Don't worry, guys it would only be a ruse - he thinks that really loudly presuming that one of the acranists will pass it on to the others)
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Viktor Konnikov

Smiling as Angelo remarks on Russia being the best part. "Indeed it is Angelo. I love Russia and her cold embrace. What sort of beasties are we chasing? Is this thief puny because if there is no fight in him that would be shame. I didn't sign up for the juice to fight little people! I'm hunting glory! Helping people get home is understandable"
Par

Post by Par »

Par had been distracted after his time here with the people and was a little embarrassed that he was not listening to all she said the way he should have. "If we need to bind him to keep him from coming back and harming others in the future. How can we get these binds, do you have them or will my own arcane binds fit the need?"

When the others are introduced he welcomes them and nods. "Welcome to the quest. Make sure you are prepared, it has been very dangerous so far and it looks to be escalating." Concentrating for a moment he opens his spiritual eyes examining the aura of the new comers.
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

Radecliffe knows little of the lands beyond the places he's seen in his travels and the name Russia means little to him but he considers everything that Angelo is telling him and shrugs. "One human settlement is much like another in my experience so I guess if I'm in this Russia place it makes little difference to me. From what I've seen since I've gotten here the wilderness is largely the same and that's my home regardless of what the people name their towns and cities."

When Angelo indicates it is time to meet these new strangers Radecliffe signals to Fang it is time to go and he follows the others in silence. To travel in the company of others is not the choice I'd make under other circumstances but it's obviously the will of the Great Mother that I take on this task so I guess it's time to end my solitude. At least until the danger is done anyway and then I'll have to see what comes next.

As they approach the group of adventurers destiny seems determined to put in his path Angelo begins the introductions of Viktor and himself and he can't but help think how strange they seem to him. A small smile crosses his face as the one called Par warns him to be prepared. "I've spent most of my life alone in the wilderness. You don't survive that for long if you aren't prepared."
Radecliffe

Skills

Makenna Griggs

Post by Makenna Griggs »

Makenna smiles with confidence (though anyone paying close attention to her will notice the slight wince from the movement, given her recent optics implant procedure - smiles that reach up to her eyes should be avoided for now, apparently), and follows up Steelbrok's comment with, "I'm sure I can convince him to help without mentioning your name. Finding valuables and trading them is what I do for a living!"
Makenna Griggs
Makenna Griggs

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Avenger Assemble

For the first time since landing in the strange land far from home the remnants of the 1st Special Exploratory Team have a clear purpose: stop the Nightingale from deliver the powerful rings of the elder to his demonic overlord - or watch the world burn.

Leaving the Oracle's cave the group runs into Angelo who has two more strangers in tow. Their garb make them appear to also be from North America. Angelo makes fast introductions.

"Two more heroes for your cause. Like bogatyrs of old you set forth on a quest! How exciting. I can lead you to the river, but from there your journey is your own."

"Is there anything you require before you go?"
Signature
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Angelo: "Is there anything you require before you go?"

"Well, Angelo, lad," Steelbrok puts a friendly arm around Angelo's shoulders, and ever so light grip on his right arm, "Funny you should ask that. Oh, and we greatly appreciate you guiding us to the river Volga. Talk to us about the river, though, will it be flowing or frozen? If it's frozen can we drive along it? What else? What else, eh? It's so kind of you to offer, we'll need copies of the best maps you have, plus any information on what kind of beasties we might come across in this somewhat snowy home of yours. Not to mention your people's intel on the Warlord forces in the areas we'll be travelling through. "

He treats Angelo to his dazzling stainless steel smile, "And rations of course, many rations. So kind of your leader you to offer such help for a mission that benefits you so much. Dare say we can give our own vehicles a good checking over before we go but some cold weather lubricants will no doubt speed things along for us."
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

"Oh, Angelo," Steelbrok calls as Angelo goes to start fulfilling their requisitions, "If there's a spare box or two of grenades lying around, we wouldn't say 'No'."
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Par

Post by Par »

Par thanks the people for their help and Angelo for the offer. The only thing coming to his mind would be the food the others need, but he will be glad to get into the sun himself. He needs the sun to survive more than the nutrition the others need. "Thank you Angelo, it was a pleasure to meet you and if our paths cross again I hope we can be considered allies."

As they begin cleaning up the gear and checking things over Par wonders to himself if the SET will be allowed to remember the location of the enclave or if the witch will cleanse their memories to prevent compromise.
Palach

Post by Palach »

Palach nods at Angelo. In Russian, he makes his request. "I would like a short time with your family's tools to check our vehicles. Any spare parts will be valuable. A bottle of vodka for the trip, also. It is too bad you cannot come."
Shifting back to English, he introduces himself to the newcomers. "I am Palach. You are new here? We make room." He gestures to Fang. "Is nice looking dog."
Palach
Palach
Pace: 6; Parry: 8 (9 with vambraces)
Toughness: 22 (12)
Armor: None
Pertinent Edges: Combat Ace, Ambidextrous, Two-Fisted, Improved Block, First Strike, Counterattack
Current Status Post
Viktor Konnikov

Pointing to Palach, "This man has the right of it! More Vodka will definitely warm the spirits. Good to meet you all. I am Viktor and my giant axe, well, her name is Elena. She and I go way back. Be careful of her temper though. We are ready to chase after this demon." He smiles throwing his axe onto his shoulder.
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Steelbrok watches, somewhat puzzled, as Viktor first introduces his axe (perfectly reasonable thing to do) but then tosses it away over his shoulder!
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Thursday

Post by Thursday »

Why do their weapons have names, do they serve any purpose? Should I name my claws? Do the names need to have meaning? Does naming them make them stronger? More on that later, maybe. Looking at another potential minion, he seems quite muscley, I wonder how strong he is.
Thursday

Par

Post by Par »

Thursday wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:38 am Why do their weapons have names, do they serve any purpose? Should I name my claws? Do the names need to have meaning? Does naming them make them stronger? More on that later, maybe. Looking at another potential minion, he seems quite muscley, I wonder how strong he is.
Listening to the conversation that does not otherwise involve him Par interjects. "Should you name them? Of course you should. In the stories all the great heroes name their weapons.

"It is a tradition as honored as as any others. You could call them Lightning and Thunder, because the thunder always follows the lightning and they destroy whatever they strike!"

Return to “Far From Home”