Chapter 6: Heroes of Our Time

Adventures in Russia
Palach

Re: Chapter 6: Heroes of Our Time

Post by Palach »

Palach shrugs. "Big entrance, maybe. Fast is important. Faster on water. I can drive anything."
Palach
Palach
Pace: 6; Parry: 8 (9 with vambraces)
Toughness: 22 (12)
Armor: None
Pertinent Edges: Combat Ace, Ambidextrous, Two-Fisted, Improved Block, First Strike, Counterattack
Current Status Post
Aexander Petrov

Post by Aexander Petrov »

Seeing the cyborg point at Alexander and not understanding what he said, makes him realize that he really needs a universal translator.
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

Radecliffe looks at @Palach and says, "Maybe you should ask this guy why they want the ship back so badly? There must be a reason they're ready to get into a fight with a dragon over it. Just sayin." Radcliffe shrugs and looks thoughtfully at the others before retreating back into the shadow of his cowl.
Radecliffe
Player: James
Active Alts: Jim Cannon, Jame Graeme, Dorn GiantSlayer, Steele

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Pace: 8; Running Die: d8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(4); Strain: 6/6; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Agility: Athletics d8, Fighting d8, Shooting d6, Stealth d8, Thievery d8
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Healing d6+2, Language (American) d8, Notice d8, Occult d10, Psionics d10, Survival d10+2
Spirit: Persuasion d4

Palach

Post by Palach »

Palach peers quizzically at @Radecliffe, then back to @Aexander Petrov. He turns again to Radecliffe and offers an assurance, in American. "Nobody is fighting dragon over boat. Nobody is fighting dragon at all. Is boasting. Russian behavior. Means nothing unless shooting starts. We find out who owns the boat and what it is for. If it has no owner, is fair to get boat. We saved it. If they take it, we get payment for saving it. Is only fair." He turns to Alexander and translates what he just said, adding in Russian: "This is fair, yes? You or your master carry weight in this town. It is not good to repay service with anger. We have saved the boat for faster transit down the river. If it is decided that the town has a right to it, then we can work out a fair trade for what we have done to save it."
Palach
Palach
Pertinent Edges: Combat Ace, Ambidextrous, Two-Fisted, Improved Block, First Strike, Counterattack
Current Status Post
Aexander Petrov

Listening to @Polach and his recommendation, Alexander is nodding his head in agreement. "Eto kazhetsya razumnym. Nikto ne khochet drat'sya, yesli etogo mozhno izbezhat'. Drakon kazhetsya druzhelyubnym, i yesli lodka spasena, u vas yest' prava." (This seems reasonable. Nobody wants to fight if it can be avoided. The dragon appears to be friendly and if the boat is saved you have rights.) Alexander looks at his master for agreement.
Last edited by Aexander Petrov on Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Bryan looks to Palach. "Could you translate please? We found this ship sinking in the river, so we saved it. We do not claim that this is our ship, we merely used it for transportation. We have been in this country for a short period of time, but it is already obvious that you are honorable people and excellent hosts. If you have use for the ship, would it be any trouble to provide us with some alternate form of transportation? We are looking for a Thief named Nemo, and after we find him we will try to return to our land. He is known to consort with Shifters and other beings capable of teleportation. If you have any information regarding him, we would greatly appreciate it."
Aexander Petrov

Looking at the dragon, Alexander is reminded of a time when he was younger. He had a pet dog. That pet dog followed him everywhere. Alexander loved that dog and that dog would follow him everywhere. One day, the local warband came in to resupply, unfortunately this was an unruly warband who thought they owned everything (and in a sense, they did). While Alexander was in town that day, the warband thought it would be funny to make Alexander dance like in the old American westerns. The dog didn't like this and charged the warband. As it was expected, the warband shot the dog and laughed and wrode off, leaving Alexander to deal with the aftermath.

Alexander was crushed. He was left on his own, standing there with a new hole in his heart. Another reminder that life in Russia is hard. Alexander had to take his dog back to his house for 5 miles. When he got there all covered in blood, his parents came out and saw the blood that Alexander was covered in, saw his tears and saw the dog in his arms.

This was one instance that is etched in his mind of his parents rushing to him and just holding him while his emotions came rushing out like the snow in winter. All he remembers is his father holding him closely consoling him, something that did not happen, but it felt good. After several minutes of releasing all of the pent up emotions he had endured for the last 5 miles,Alexander saw that his entire family was there for him. His brothers picked up a shovel and started to dig the hole, his sisters took the dog and made the dog presentable. After an hour of digging and preparing, the local preacher came riding on a mule.

"Alexander, the town is sorry for what happened, and we wish there was something we could do. If you don't mind, I would like to say a prayer on his behalf." Alexander quietly nods yes to the preacher. The service its self was short but everyone was there. The preacher probably gave a nice speech, but Alexander doesn't remember because he didn't really hear what he was saying. When it was all done, His brothers started to put the dirt onto the dog, thus closing this chapter of his life out.

In the fields outside of the town, with this foreign party and dragon, Alexander sniffles and a tear runs down his face in memory of that dog.
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Believing he sees Alexander regretting his harsh words towards Thursday, Steelbrok gently pats him on the shoulder. He gives him a smile of encouragement too :D

Steelbrok debates whether to offer Alexander a beer again, Alexander seems the puritanical type so he decides not to (and after all, there aren't many left).
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics
Bennies 4 (Q3 reset, now have Luck))
Wounds 0 (ignore 1 point of penalties)
Parry 6 (7 with Vlad), Toughness 23(8) in light cyborg plate

'Vlad' The Impaler d12+2d8+2 MD AP16 (Harmonic Blade, REACH 2! +1 Fighting, +1 Parry
'Velma' the Vibro Longsword d12+d10+2 MD AP10
'Violet' the NG-56 Light Ion Pistol 10/20/40 3d8/2d8/1d8 +2 to Shooting 12 Shots (ROF3 with Imp Rapid Fire)
'Vera' the NG303 Railgun 30/60/120 Damage 2d10+2 MD AP6 20 Shots of 5* bursts each Ignore Sloped Armour *from Imp Rapid Fire
Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Danger Sense, First Strike, Steady Hands (no Unstable Platform Penalty, Running penalty -1)
Don't Forget Elan!

Fighting d6+2 (+1 with Vlad), Shooting d8, Notice d6+4
Par

Post by Par »

Par listens carefully to what is being said. His mystic awareness allowed him to understand some of what was being said. But even then it was a lot of words and not all of it was clear enough to him to be certain of what was being decided.

Eventually he cannot help it and has to ask. "So, hat is going on. Are they taking the ship from us, or are we using it to hunt the Thief?"
Partum Artifex Resource Special Note: Parry: 2; Toughness: 15 (7), Notice d10+2/+4 Danger Sense, Sixth Sense, Ignores Illumination, 360 degree vision
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

What a Ship Show
  • City of Kazan
  • Horror Factor: 2
  • Conditions: Overcast.
Out of a Boat
After much miscommunication and many people talking at once, things settle down a bit for the group. The presence of Alexander, who seems to represent someone everyone in town respects, also helps the local authorities breathe a little easier. On the matter of the boat’s ownership there are some rules regarding those things, and it seems the group may have a legitimate claim.

The port workers send for the local magistrate to help sort out the details, however, she is a few days away hearing cases in another town. In the meantime, there is the matter of Alexander’s master.

Mystic Kuznya Fanya Yurievich
Outside the din of the town, Fanya Yurievich sits at a campfire. A massive tent billows in the wind nearby. It has fantastic carved poles and pegs suggesting it is somehow magical. The old Kuznya stares into the flames as his apprentice approaches with the group. He doesn’t look up, but acknowledges everyone. His words sound American but don’t match the movements of his lips, like a badly dubbed Quick-Flex martial arts vid. It is likely he is using magic to speak.

”Tell me, did the she-devil send you?”

I assume you understand he means his ex-wife the Romani woman and you agree
, ”Her prophecies are never wrong. Except one, she said she foresaw me leaving her, but this is not true. And yet, I guess it is because I sit here in the cold with no one to warm my bed.”

”Prophecies, oracles. Dangerous business. Yet, here you are. Tell me of your business and why it brings you to me.”
Recap
For a benny, quickly recap why you are here to see him in your own words. Alexander, just take a benny for the dog story and use this as a chance to get caught up in character.”
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Palach

Post by Palach »

Palach stares at the kuznya, a little lost in the talk of prophecies and love. He makes no attempt to hide the truth of who sent them, despite her instructions. "My presleduyem vora so sverkh"yestestvennymi sposobnostyami. My ne smozhem ostanovit' yego zlyye dela, yesli ne smozhem svyazat' yego. Nam skazali, chto vy mozhete sdelat' magicheskiye kandaly, chtoby uderzhat' yego v etom samolete." He translates for his non-Russian speaking associates: "We are chasing a thief of supernatural ability. We cannot stop his evil deeds unless we can bind him. We were told you could make magical shackles to keep him on this plane." He continues speaking to the kuznya, though he elects not to translate for his friends. "Kak tol'ko my ostanovim etogo vora, vazhno, chtoby ya vernulsya s etimi lyud'mi v Ameriku."
Translation
Once we stop this thief, it is important that I return with these people to America.
Palach
Palach
Current Status Post
Aexander Petrov

@Palach "Za kakim sushchestvom vy gonyayetes'? Zachem tebe derzhat' yego zdes'? Chto vy sobirayetes' delat' s nim, kogda poymayete yego?"(What kind of creature are you chasing? Why would you want to keep him here? What do you plan on doing with him once you have captured him?)
Viktor Konnikov

Post by Viktor Konnikov »

Viktor smiles, "By happenstance I was brought near these people. They are chasing a thief so I join them to provide ...., well muscle and my Axe. As far as what we do with the thief I hope you get to show him the sharp side."
Par

Post by Par »

Par is curious about this new person. Calming his mind he opens his awareness gaining a bond to the universe and being within it.

Yes I know it is a player character and I can read his sheet. But so far Par is very consistent about doing this when he encounters people. He is just super curious about everything.

LdddppLLH1d10!!1d6!!pF+2
Partum Artifex Resource Special Note: Parry: 2; Toughness: 15 (7), Notice d10+2/+4 Danger Sense, Sixth Sense, Ignores Illumination, 360 degree vision
Palach

Post by Palach »

Palach shrugs, not entirely sure how to answer @Aexander Petrov. "Mozhet, on demon? No on voruyet predmety dlya povelitelya demonov. Rezul'tat budet oznachat' katastrofu. My derzhim yego zdes', chtoby on ne vernul eti predmety svoyemu khozyainu. U nego yest' sposobnost' puteshestvovat' mezhdu izmereniyami."
He is a demon, maybe? But he is stealing objects for a demon lord. The result would mean disaster. We are keeping him here so he does not return these objects to his master. He has the power to travel between dimensions.
Palach
Palach
Current Status Post
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

“Well, your worship,” heck, Steelbrok thinks, looks like the old man is like the mayor around here, “It’s like this:

I was back in good ol’ Blighty, doing my bit for King and Country when the thing you folks here in the future call the Cataclysm happened. Next thing I know I’m pulled willy, nilly a hundred or two years into the future! Now, I’d never have believed in time travel if you’d asked me but when you’re set to consorting with demons, dragons and other beasties on a daily basis you have to be a bit open minded, don’t you?

So, I ended up with these here Tomorrow Legion people (1), here, because they were trying to make life better for people and defend against the bad guys. A proper bunch of Merrie Mean – and Women, he nods towards Makenna, they are.

So, we goes off to stop a magic ring falling into the hands of a Dark Lord (Steelbrok thinks to himself that this sounds like the plot of Lord of the Rings 7 but tries to put memories of that awful sequel aside). Seems some magic thief got there ahead of us but we were close enough to get caught up in, well, I suppose you’d say the wake of his magic transport spell and here we landed in lovely, lovely Russia.

Well, as soon as we arrives it’s raining monstera and demon bears, so Velma and Vera here (he taps his trusty vibro sword and rail gun) got a bit of a work out. We trailed him to a barn but some were a bit too slow on their trigger fingers and the thief poofed away again.

We rounded up the farmer’s animals and said hello to some of the local warlord’s boys. Even they agreed the thief was a bit nasty so they gave us some wheels and off we went.

Now it turns out the guides the warlord sent with us weren’t too trusty and bit of unpleasantness happened.

The we went down a really deep ice chasm to meet with your good lady ex. She gave us a bit of info on this thief and recommended getting some magical thingumajigs to stop him poofing away like he does.

Off we goes again until we came up to a big river. We found a ship that was sinking and spent blood, sweat and lubricating oil to set her aright and bring her to safe harbour. All salvaged and proper.

And here we are and we’re being accused of being thieves and pirates.

Oh, apparently if the thief gives the magic rings to the Dark Lord, it’ll be very bad for the world. Now I’ve been through one Cataclysm and I’m not keen on going through another. So, best thing is we get help to take down this thief, throw the rings into the nearest volcano and then I think it’s time to head west. I swore to bear true and faithful allegiance to King Harry’s heirs and successors and I reckon this Arthur I’ve heard about is the nearest thing. So once we’ve saved the world I’d like to go offer my sword (and railgun) to him.”

“And one last thing, your flunky here,” he gestures at Alexander, “ said some unkind things to young Thursday here. You might want to talk to him about good manners.”

(1) OOC: How many of us are still Tomorrow Legion, we’ve had a bit of a turnover in characters?
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

'Vlad' The Impaler d12+2d8+2 MD AP16 (Harmonic Blade, REACH 2! +1 Fighting, +1 Parry
'Violet' the NG-56 Light Ion Pistol 10/20/40 3d8/2d8/1d8 +2 to Shooting 12 Shots (ROF3 with Imp Rapid Fire)
'Vera' the NG303 Railgun 30/60/120 Damage 2d10+2 MD AP6 20 Shots of 5* bursts each Ignore Sloped Armour *from Imp Rapid Fire
Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Danger Sense, First Strike, Steady Hands (no Unstable Platform Penalty, Running penalty -1)
Don't Forget Elan!

Aexander Petrov

I really need to get a translator. This robot talks a lot.
Thursday

Post by Thursday »

Thursday seems to partially pay attention to what @steelbrok says before zoning out for a bit. After a moment when he finishes talking, Thursday follows up with a "Uh - Yeah, what he said." Not sure if he was paying attention at all, but he did know when the metal man stopped talking to add his part.

Tomorrow Legion
Thursday is still part of the Tomorrow Legion, he's just now quite sure what they stand for or what they do. He was just adopted by them and Dragon-sitting duty was pushed onto you guys.
Thursday the Unique Dragon
Thursday

Bennies: 11

Wounds: 0/4 Fatigue: 0/2

Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d4, Strength d12+3, Vigor d10

Pace: 6 Walk / 12 Fly; Parry: 7; Toughness: 35 (16 of which is Armor); Strain: 0

PPE: 30/30 ISP: 20/20
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Aexander Petrov wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:10 pm I really need to get a translator. This robot talks a lot.
Gives a hard look at the peasant ship thief and decides to turn the other cheek (besides, with 360 senses it's not so dangerous).
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Par

Post by Par »

Par listens to Steelbrok recite the events of what has been happening and is baffled that a trip of weeks feels so easily quantified in only a matter of minutes. "Huh, seems like it was all a little more complicated than that. But you pretty much covered all the basics."

Par is Legion

Rob is skipping the benny, because I do not think I can really recap as well as Steelbrok in a reasonable time line.

steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Shakes his head whilst looking at Par, "Did you really want me to tell them about

Your awful dice luck and concomitant critical failures
?"
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

Radecliffe pulls back his cowl and peers intently at the old man. "I haven't been with these people for long but I know the Great Mother sent me here through a Rift and I think it was so I could help them however weird they may be. As far as I know the metal man speaks the truth of it even if using far too many words."
Radecliffe

Pace: 8; Running Die: d8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(4); Strain: 6/6; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Healing d6+2, Language (American) d8, Notice d8, Occult d10, Psionics d10, Survival d10+2

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Fanya Yurievich listens stoically as the group recounts their tale. After the last person finishes speaking he remains quiet for an awkwardly long time then starts to chuckle softly. Before too long his soft laugh begins to amplify until it reaches a full on belly laugh echoing into the night.

"You come north on a boat seeking a demon thief!? You seek the nightingale. To slay the beast that destroyed Kiev with only its voice?" He stops speaking so he can laugh some more, "And you wish to bind it to this world to kill it forever, then ride off into the sunset set like cowboys?"

He stops laughing only long enough to take a swig of vodka from a bottle.

"Very well, it is time my apprentice flew on his own."

Still guffawing he looks to @Aexander Petrov, "To finish your initiation I quest you to assist them in their task. To bind a demon like the Nightingale will require shackles and chains made from silver and blessed in a holy place. You can make them young Petrov and this wooden man can bless them but you will need holy ground to do your work...and silver."

He chuckles again, "American bogatyrs! Stranger things I have not seen."
Quest
You need silver to make shackles and chains
A holy site
and a ritual done by Petrov and Par to forge the bindings
It takes some time to explain the process. As he does a delegation from the city comes to the meeting place, apparently the magistrate for the local warlord will be in the city tomorrow to arbitrate the issue of the boat.
Signature
Aexander Petrov

Cowboy? I will have to ask the wooden man what that is. At this time, Alexander notices that Par is made of wood. There is much to learn from this one, Maybe we might be able to learn more from each other. So we have a metal man and a wooden man. odd combination. I hope the translator is willing to teach me their language, it would make all of this easier.

"Spasibo za veru v moi sposobnosti khozyain. YA ne podvedu tebya." (Thank you for your faith in my abilities master. I will not let you down.)

Alexander will look at the resident translator.

"Pozhaluysta, rasskazhite ostal'nym. YA nadeyus' rabotat' so vsemi vami, chtoby pobedit' etogo demona. Chto do tebya, moy yazykovoy drug. YA by otsenil eto, yesli by vy nauchili menya ikh slovam? YA byl by schastliv nauchit' kogo-nibud' yeshche, osobenno derevyannogo, nashim slovam, chtoby my mogli luchshe razgovarivat' drug s drugom." (Please tell the others. I look forward to working with all of you to defeat this demon. As for you my lingual friend. I would appriciate it if you could teach me their words? I would be happy to teach anyone else, especially the wooden one our words so we can speak with each other better.)

Alexander will offer his hand in friendship.
Palach

Post by Palach »

Palach seems nonplussed by Fanya's reaction. He does his best to translate back and forth between @Aexander Petrov and the rest of the group. At the extended hand, Palach smiles and reaches, clasping the smith's hand in his own. "YA budu schastliv nauchit' vas tomu, chto znayu. Eto tol'ko nekotoryye. Nadeyus', ya ne skazal im, chto vy dolzhny byt' nazhivkoy dlya solov'ya."
I will be happy to teach you what I know. It is only some. I hope I haven't told them that you are to be bait for the nightingale.
With that, he laughs his own belly laugh, a noble effort to match the kuznya. His laugh is cut short as the delegation from the town arrives. He turns to face them and offers a nod of acknowledgement.
Palach
Palach
Current Status Post
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Mulls over the translated words, bristling at the insult from the old man - American indeed! He can see where apprentice Alexander gets his manners from.

"Palacch, just aske the old man to clarify that bit about Kiev, will you? This thief destroyed it with his voice? Is that recently or just a legend?"
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Aexander Petrov

Taking the hand of @Palach , Alexander laughs with him at the bait comment. "Eto budet ne pervyy raz, kogda menya ispol'zuyut v kachestve primanki." (It would not be the first time I was used as bait.)
Par

Post by Par »

Par listens to the old man as he speaks of what must be done while considering the interaction. Then he asks in American. "So I am not learning Russian as fast as I need to. But did he just say the Nightingale destroyed a whole city with his voice?"

Then as @Palach provides the translation confirming what Par understood. "I guess I better get to know this Smith and perhaps we need to practice before the." Offering his hand to @Aexander Petrov. "I am Par. I think we need some practice, and do you have any idea where would could get enough silver?"

Then to the others, "Maybe we can trade the ship for the silver?"
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Idly touches his audio sensors, thinking about being ready to shut them down when they face this thief.
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

"How big is this Nightingale creature again? I don't know anything about working metal but that seems like an awful lot of silver." Radecliffe looks at the old man and continues, "I hope you're not going to hand us a job like this and not point us in the direction of where we can get enough silver to do it."
Radecliffe

Skills

steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

"Palach, can you ask the old geezer if he knows the Nightingale's motivation? I mean, is he just doing it for money, kicks? If he has the power to destroy cities then this seems to be one of two things:
Either he enjoys the destruction and wants to see Sauron set the world on fire
Or, he's bored and doesn't really care. If that's the case maybe we can offer him (or her) a better deal. I'm sure the Yankee Tomorrow Legion could find a use for him."
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Palach

Post by Palach »

Palach does his best to interpret back and forth between Alexander, Par, Steelbrok, and Radecliffe. He inquires in Russian about the size and abilities of the Nightingale, then stops as @steelbrok asks about motivation. "What is 'geezer' and 'Sauron'? I don't know those words." He gives Steelbrok a quizzical look as his knowledge of American lingo has hit its limit.
Palach
Palach
Current Status Post
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Shakes his head at these future people (and walking trees and dragons and who knows what...) not knowing the King's English (why on Earth do they call it American, he wonders, seems like a strange affectation).

"Look, just ask the gentleman about motives, ok?"
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

What a Ship Show
  • City of Kazan
  • Horror Factor: 2[/url]
  • Conditions: Overcast.
Settling in for story time the old mystic seems to take great pleasure in having an audience, “Before the cataclysm, before the Golden Age, when humanity still believed in magic and monsters roamed more freely, our lands, like others, were plagued by terrors. Terrors that returned with the Great Cataclysm!

Nightingale the Robber sat in a gnarled tree blocked the road to Kiev taking a terrible toll on any who passed by. He had little need to leave his perch among the trees as his voice was more terrifying than his monstrous visage.”
Stopping to clear his throat he starts to sing in Russian, but by some magic each of the group hears it in their own native language.
Nightingale whistles like a nightingale,
He screams, the villain robber, like a wild animal.
And from the whistle of a nightingale,
And from the scream of a wild animal
All the grasses and meadows become entangled,
All the azure flowers lose their petals
All the dark woods bend down to the earth.
”Thus going to Kiev was no easy journey, most bypassed the road altogether. That is until the bogatyr, Ilyá Múromets, made his way there. Arrogant young sod. He shot the Nightingale through the eye, but did not kill it, for demons are never truly dead. Stupidly he took the injured monster as a prize to the Prince of Kiev, where, in the throne room of princes it let loose its most destructive howl. The castle fell, the kingdom fell.

Ilyá Múromets cut off the monster’s head. Banishing it back to its own plane of existence, until the veil between worlds was ripped apart by the cataclysm. Now, Nightingale - stronger than ever - sits in the ruins of Kiev, perched high and surrounded by his children.

When the demon lord Chort wants an object of great value, he sends Nightingale the Robber to retrieve it for him. Of course, like many birds, the Nightingale covets shiny things and is sometimes slow to bring treasures to his master.”

”Ilyá Múromets was a great hero and even he could not bring this evil to heel forever. What you attempt to do will be a tale young Alexander here will tell for ages. Whether it is a story of victory or tragedy is very much in question.”
Nightingale
A demon with a powerful sonic attack, think boom gun only worse. It’s children are lesser demons in a similar mold (bird-like, sonic attacks, swarming, etc.).

It lives in the ruins of Kiev.

It sounds like it has a treasure hoard.
After meeting with the Mystic Kuznya the group has to turn their attention to the matter of the boat. The magistrate, a niece of Warlord Burgasov named Belka Burgasov, appears to be a sharp, no nonsense person. She organizes a quick tribunal for later in the day after she deals with the more pressing matters such as murders and theft.

In the end the group finds themselves in the magistrate’s office. A simple, spartan, place with a bench for her and seats on the left and right side for the opposed parties. On the left sits the mayor of Kazan on the right are seats for the 1st SET.

Magistrate Burgasov begins, ”You are strangers so I will dispense with the formalities. Tell me of this boat, how you ame to possess it, what of its occupants, and what do you seek. Then she turns to the mayor, then I will hear your requests and make my decision.”
Social Conflict
See SWADE pg. 143

Three rounds, one person rolls Persuasion and is opposed by the Mayor. A local Wild Card with a d8 Persuasion. Being Outsiders, and travelling with a “monster” makes your Persuasion rolls at -4. But you can Support one another.
Signature
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

OOC Comments
Ld1d8!!
LdLdd1d6!!
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Sits, looking carefully at the Mayor and the Magistrate,

1d6!!+4
Ldd1d6!!+4
for any tells that will help 1st SET's chosen interlocutor.
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Palach

Post by Palach »

Any attempt Palach might make to plead their own case is swallowed up in the busy work of translating back and forth between the 1st SET and the town authorities. Where he can, though, he
1d6!!
d1d6!!
1d6!!
d1d6!!
to make the case of the 1st SET more palatable to the town, and the town's position clearer to the 1st.
Palach
Palach
Current Status Post
Aexander Petrov

Alexander stands in the room with the 1st SET, close to the dragon. Hopefully, this will calm the Magistrate and the everyone else. While the proceedings are proceeding, Alexander his thinking about the task at hand.

The demond needs to be contained, it flies and it sings. Can I use Iron to link the wings, the muzzle and the manacles?

L1d10!!
Ld1d6!!

This would help maximise the Silver use and might still impair the demon. I should be able to imbue the items to adjust their sizes to fit their target. This could also allow for utilitarian usage, so the manacles can be used on other demons. Especially those who do not have wings, they could just remove the wing restraints. If they need to lengthen the Iron chain for a quadruped, they could do that as well.
Thursday

Post by Thursday »

Thursday attempts to take a seat like everyone else, which proves challenging for the larger quadruped. After struggling for a moment and knocking the chair down a couple of times, he moves the chair out of the way to sit on the floor. He then sits and listens, not quite understanding what is going on and just looking around at everyone. He sees Alexander thinking and just stares at him with his face uncomfortably close to the man.
Thursday

Pace: 6 Walk / 12 Fly; Parry: 7; Toughness: 35 (16 of which is Armor); Strain: 0

Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

Radecliffe is uncomfortable spending this much time in civilization but trails along with the others to visit the magistrate. He watches, amused as the dragon squeezes into the room and attempts to sit in a chair. At least I'm not the only one feeling like a fish out of water he chuckles to himself.

Concerned about getting tail slapped as the dragon tries to get comfortable Radecliffe moves to other side of the room and finds a seat.
Radecliffe

Skills

Aexander Petrov

Movement catches the corner of Alexanders eye and he see the dragon very uncomfortably close to his face. He is a child dragon after all. Lets take the offensive. Alexander kisses the dragon on the lips.
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

"Thursday: Get. Off. My. Foot."
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Case Dismissed
It is clear the Magistrate has little patience for the group, but is also leery of dragons and mystic Kuznya. As the arguments wear on she eventually raises her hand to halt the proceedings.

"The ship is salvage. The outsiders found it along the river, where time is strange, and brought the cargo here. The town will have the cargo, and be grateful it has finally arrived. The visitors will have the ship and will go from here immediately."

She looks to the mayor, "If you wish to retain the vessel you may negotiate a trade with the outsiders. However, I want them out of the city within two days time. My uncle the Warlord is on his way here and he will not take kindly to their presence. It will end badly for all of you."

With that she stands and waves everyone away dismissively.
FFWD
Out of game there was no need to drag this out given I am delayed in posting. In game, you have you quest to the ruins of Kiev. Make what arrangements you need and depart before you anger another warlord with your presence.
Signature
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

While listening to the fragmentary translations of the arguments going back and forward, Steelbrok looks around the room.
There's a mixture of crudely drawn and very good icons on one wall and on the other a large map that he spends the time committing to memory.
So, he thinks, about 1400km to Kiev cross country or else a longer journey by water - and the ship can only take us so far. Funny, if you'd asked me, I just assumed the Volga drained into the Black Sea not the Caspian. Seems like magical weapons would be useful, I wonder, looks at Volgograd on - the city formerly known as Stalingrad.

Nudges Par in the ribs and whispers, "hey, wood boy! Would something that had something of a tale about it gain some magics nowadays?" lowers his voice even further, "Say a King's Sword?"
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Palach

Post by Palach »

Palach leans over @steelbrok's shoulders. "Maybe boat is not as good for trip to Kiev? Can we float here to there? Also have to find place to charge if we don't take ship."
During their stay, Palach ensures that the Bear and all of his weapons are fully charged. There's no telling when a charging station may be encountered along their way.
Palach
Palach
Current Status Post
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Nods to Palach, "Aye, mebbe we can swap for another vehicle, one with its own nuclear genny? That we we've got redundancy and no need to look for a charging point. Dare say they could hoy a few rations and some more ammo in too. And some of that antifreeze that passes for booze around here"
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Par

Post by Par »

As the heroes are dismissed Par nods and gets back to the others. "Looks like we have to go. They are not really in the mood for trading, but the Warloard will be coming soon and he will want to fight us. I do not want to have to hurt him, so lets take her advice and move out."
steelbrok wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:06 am Nudges Par in the ribs and whispers, "hey, wood boy! Would something that had something of a tale about it gain some magics nowadays?" lowers his voice even further, "Say a King's Sword?"
"Oh sure, lots of stuff like that happens. You just have to make sure people see it and think it is magical, eventually if enough people believe it will become so." He explains, though Steelbrok would never be able to work magic directly, Par figures the crude explanation would help a little.
Aexander Petrov

Mistress, these warriors are hunting down a demon. I have been tasked with creating the restraints. Could you please find it in your merciful heart to spare some silver?"
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

"I don't know the lay of the land here in this strange place but I know rivers are great for moving yourself with little effort but not so much for getting someplace in a hurry. They never seem to go the direction you want them to go anytime you want to go in that direction." Radecliffe shrugs and looks a little embarrassed. "If I'm being honest I just don't like that great metal floating can. It ain't natural and it gives me the creeps and Fang don't like it either."

"Having said all that though if that's the best way to save the world then I guess we'll go along with it." Radecliffe looks at Fang, "won't we, boy?" In response Fang lays down and puts his head on his paws and whines in resignation.
Radecliffe

Skills

steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Looks at Radcliffe and his puppy, "Well, I for one don't fancy walking all the way to Kiev so it's either a metal can with wheels or a metal can that floats. Besides, some metal "cans" ca be downright good looking." With that he gives his chrome dome quick buff and polish and gives a charming smile to the magistrate.
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Bartering

As the group debates their path to Kiev the old mystic is able to offer some advice.

"By river you can go along the Volga as far as Nizhny Novgorod, then pick up the Oka for many kilometres toward your destination. It is mostly uncharted, I do not know of anyone who has taken it to the end but it may be easier going along the water then the land. It also avoids the Moscow Crater and the pesky Sovetski. By land, if the snow is good, you will have a straight journey and stay within what passes for civilization here in Russia. It will be long and you will have to contend with the Soveits and the Warlords, roaming demons, and the like. Normal stuff for Russians but maybe too much for some wayward Americans."

Negotiations within the town are also made easier by the Magistrate's command to be rid of the troublemakers. The local mayor has a number of options, "We can outfit you with some equipment for field charging your batteries but the engines you seek are in the Crater. Perhaps they will trade with you," he looks leery as he eyes Thursday. "Or perhaps you can acquire one from them by other means. We can pay you in silver for the equipment on the boat, it was destined here for agricultural anyway, or trade the boat and equipment for field charging kits (aka solar, kinetic, etc)."
Signature
Aexander Petrov

Mer, dobryy ser. Skol'ko serebra budet vyplata? (Mayor, good sir. How much silver will the payout be?) Alexander calculates to see if we will need additional silver or what is being provided will be sufficient.

If he needs more, He will suggest the undesired path of going by the Soviestki. While, he has no real issues with them, they are honest people doing what they can to survive, any encounter with the dragon in the party will be tricky.

If the mayor is going to give them sufficient silver, then Alexander would prefer the boat. He can make the restraints on the the river while they are traveling, thus killing two hares. This would be the best option.
Palach

Post by Palach »

Palach shrugs. "River is not direct road, but is easier to get closer. We have good boat. Is smart to use it." He cocks his head. "Also, we see new things. Uncharted land, da?"
Palach
Palach
Current Status Post
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

"Right then, let's get their stuff offloaded sharpish, they can put food and vodka aboard as we crane their stuff over. Then let's set course and engage the engines"

Steelbrok strides confidently back towards their ship, nonchalantly humming that traditional sea shanty "What shall we do with a drunken dragon"
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

Radecliffe's face is hard, "I've spent my entire life roaming the wilderness. I will always put my faith in navigating the wilderness over floating on this gods forsaken hunk of metal. It's nothing more than a giant target. At least with the truck we have a chance to hide our movements."
Radecliffe

Skills

Palach

Post by Palach »

Palach smiles a toothy smile at @Radecliffe. "Giant target, maybe. But it is part of Russia. It belongs on this river. Is maybe more disguise than Bear?" He then offers his typical shrug. "Danger either way. Less danger on water."
Palach
Palach
Current Status Post
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Hears Radecliffe and decides a traditional tune is in order:

"Radecliffe takes the land road
And we take the sea road
And we’ll get to Kiev much saaafer
For we and the druid
Will never meet again
On the bonny, bonny banks of the Dnieper"
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Thursday

Post by Thursday »

Thursday sees the mystic staring after their comment and whispers "What do they mean? Why are they staring at me strangely? Is there a weird look on my face?"

Thursday looks around confused, unsure if there is a final decision.

"So... we keep the boat?.."
Thursday

steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

Finishes helping the townsfolk offload their cargo - and making sure they don't take anything they shouldn't - and takes a stroll to find a pub for a pre sailing livener.

He approaches a likely looking building with windows glowing with warm light and a buzz of noise. That buzz rises to a crescendo of laughter as the door opens and a familiar figure staggers out, points towards the ship then stumbles in a circle before falling to the ground.

Steelbrok stares down at the snoring, comatose form of Par and shakes his head, "Well, I suppose we know whether a walking tree can hold his ale, now"

Sighing, the cyborg slings the wood man over his shoulder and takes him back to the ship. As they go up the gangplank he hears retching sounds and tilts his head backwards to see Par's vomit running down his back and legs. He considers dumping the plank in the river (after all, he'd float! We could tow him!) but takes him below decks and dumps him in his cabin. Then rips the door of Par's shower to get in and sluices himself down.

Using his finger he etches a message into the wood of the door: Fix your own damn shower door.
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Aexander Petrov

Upon loading up the boat, Alexander ensures he has at least the minimum supplies to make the shackles. Alexander will carry all of the supplies with no assistance to help keep the crane in use for other more important transfers.

Prostite, mister Kuznets, u vas yest' nakoval'nya, s kotoroy ya mog by puteshestvovat'? (Excuse me Mr. Blacksmith, do you have an anvil I could travel with?) Seeing a normal size person lift up the anvil under his right arm causes many people to get out of his way, both in aww of his strength and in fear that he may drop the anvil on them by accident. Since the team will be on the river as well it would be best to use propane for the forge.

Alexander will ask around for a couple of bottles of propane. YA khochu kupit' tri-chetyre ballona propana. Nadeyus', etogo budet dostatochno. (I would like to purchase three or four bottles of propane. I hope that will be enough.)

Alexander will set up his work area in as minimum area as possible.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

A Three Hour Tour

Negotiations a preparations begin in earnest as Kazan seems glad to be rid of the group of American Bogatyrs as they travel to Kiev to slay a monster. With payment in silver from their recovered agricultural equipment and barter for other items the group sets out with enough supplies to tide them for a short journey, but finding more along the way will be important.

Fanya, the Mystic Kuznya, reminds the group they will still need a place of power to create the manacles. They will have to be on the look out for one along the route. He chuckles at the prospect of these unusual heroes but seems game to give them a chance.

"Very well cowboys, you head to dangerous place. Against even more dangerous foe. Who has very dangerous boss man. You have guts as the Americans say."

He gifts each of them with a token for the journey:

Par: "A wood staff for a wooden man. This is from a great millennium tree. Act bravely and it will be of great service to you."
Millenium Tree Staff
Str+3d4 MDC, AP 4, Parry +1, Reach 1, two hands. Trappings: Holy, Powers: healing, divination
Thursday: "You are very young. It has been some time since I saw the exuberance of a youthful dragon. It is both amusing and terrifying. Even fully grown you would struggle against the Nightingale. May these silver trinkets aid you."
Silver Claws
Can be used in Human or Dragon form. Raise Claw Damage (Dragon) or Unarmed Damage (Human) by a die type. Silver.
Radecliffe: "The bear is the symbol of Russian, but the old American Empire worshipped the eagle."
Wolf Pendent
As an action the wearer can shape change into an Eagle for unlimited duration. Additionally the hero can speak and use powers while in Eagle form.
Steelbrook: "Cyborgs are no strangers in our lands. I have keened the edge of your blade, you will find it true in battle."
Impaler
Gain the benefit of Trademark Weapon Edge when using the massive sword you took from Vlad the Impaler
Palach: "Not everything is as it seems. But I think you know that already. The coming battle requires looking beyond this world into the next."
Magic Goggles
Use Spirit to activate exalted detect arcana or object reading. 5 PPE.
Bryan: "Strapping a rocket your back seems stupid to me, but if you must you might as well got quickly! I have inscribed your pack with some powerful runes that will help you get out of my sight faster!"
Jet Pack Enchantments
Add +25% MPH, +1 Handling. +50% and +2 if on a ley line!
Victor: "You have throw away your life, this is very Russian of you. Life is cheap here. Always has been. But if you must go out, got out with style I always say. This ring can mix magic with your drug cocktail."
Ring of Glory
Gain the benefit of the "Burn for Glory" Juicer Iconic Edge while wearing this ring.
Makenna: "Your lasers will do little against the foes of the wastes. I have forged this ammunition for you. Use it wisely."
Custom Rifle Ammo
24 rounds. Add +1 damage die, increase Ap to 6, and the shot affects a being as though it were composed of its Weakness. The shooter must know the creature’s Weakness.
Supplied and commissioned the 1st SET, and their newfound companions, set off north to the Volga. Shortly after Kazan the river forks and they head west, taking the long snaking waterway toward Kiev. The landscape on either side of the river is vast and empty. Few villages dot the costs, as they scout ahead there appears to be miles and miles of nothingness.
Journey Rolls
Horror Factor: 4
Let's see what trouble turns up.
Navigator:
Lookout:
Pilot:
Scout:
Signature
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

As they cast off and head north on the broad Volga, Steelbrok looks closely at Vlad and gives a few trial swings, the blade seems better balanced, somehow. Well satisfied he goes into a full workout with his weapons, making sure he can switch from one to another swiftly in battle - Vlad - Vera - Violet - Velma - he tries some two weapon combinations not, not sure if they are worthwhile. Hmmm...

Playtime over he looks to see that the OFFICIAL SHIP'S DRAGON is behaving and goes to the flying bridge to take a shift as

1d6!!+4 less 4 for horror factor = 4 success
Ldd1d6!!+4 less 4 for Horror factor = 8 raise!
. This is a strange country , he muses, taking in the scenery from all directions. As he ponders the map he studied on the wall of the mayor's hovel, he remembers studying the Russo-Ukrainian war back at school but can't remember much about it.
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

Radecliffe finger's the amulet feeling the power contained within. Looking up at the Mystic he bows his head in thanks. "Thank you for this gift old one I'll definitely put it to good use." Placing the amulet around his neck he heaves his pack into place and signals to Fang to follow.

As they approach the moored vessel Radecliffe stops and kneels down to look at Fang in the face. "I won't trap you on this floating metal island my friend. Go and shadow us along the shore. I'll join you if I can but you shouldn't have trouble keeping up." Fang's yellow eyes gaze at Radecliffe a moment before he turns and trots towards the edge of the forest heading downriver.

That duty discharged Radecliffe sighs and turns back towards the ship and up the gangplank. At least the old man's awesome gift means I don't have to spend too much time on this monstrosity he thinks to himself. Stowing his pack in one of the cabins he stops by the bridge to let them know he's going to scout ahead.

Moving to the front of the ship he launches himself into the air and triggers the magic in the amulet
Radecliffe

Skills

Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

Radecliffe finger's the amulet feeling the power contained within. Looking up at the Mystic he bows his head in thanks. "Thank you for this gift old one I'll definitely put it to good use." Placing the amulet around his neck he heaves his pack into place and signals to Fang to follow.

As they approach the moored vessel Radecliffe stops and kneels down to look at Fang in the face. "I won't trap you on this floating metal island my friend. Go and shadow us along the shore. I'll join you if I can but you shouldn't have trouble keeping up." Fang's yellow eyes gaze at Radecliffe a moment before he turns and trots towards the edge of the forest heading downriver.

That duty discharged Radecliffe sighs and turns back towards the ship and up the gangplank. At least the old man's awesome gift means I don't have to spend too much time on this monstrosity he thinks to himself. Stowing his pack in one of the cabins he stops by the bridge to let them know he's going to scout ahead.

Moving to the front of the ship he launches himself into the air and triggers the magic in the amulet
!!1d10
Psionics Ace!1d10 (I guess the double ! was incorrect.
Wild die!!1d6
-4 Horror Factor
feeling his wings catch the wind he soars up into the sky and ahead of the ship.
Radecliffe

Skills

Palach

Post by Palach »

Palach nods and accepts the gift from the kuznya. "Spasibo za shchedrost'.
Thank you for your generosity.
He tries them on to ensure they fit over his head and don't interfere with his already sharp vision. He smiles. "Is good fit. We will go now. Do svidanya."
Once the crew is loaded, he heads to the bridge to find his post. Taking the helm of the ship, he does his best to get the craft

1d4!!
d1d6!!
Palach
Palach
Current Status Post
steelbrok

Post by steelbrok »

"Thursday, hold this chain and haul on it when I give the word. Make sure you coil it nice and tidy too!"

Steelbrok checks the anchor chain is running freely, then calls to the dragon, "Up she goes, Thursday!"

Once the anchor is safely up, he pats the dragon, "Good boy!"
Steelbrok
Steel's Vital Statistics

Credits 1300
Valuables nil
Don't Forget Elan!

Return to “Far From Home”