Adventure 3: Cullport

Snake Eyes
Game Master

Adventure 3: Cullport

Post by Snake Eyes »

A week and a half of downtime passes in whatever manner you spend it, whether wandering the castle, risking dimensional travel, or just studying in your bunk. You are eventually summoned once again to Setnaja's briefing room. As is normal at this point, once you enter, the familiar image of
Reille.jpg
greets you. "Lord Setnaja is ready for you. Master @Gaspard Gillead, please direct your servants to remain here." With that, the portal opens and you step through to Setnaja's
Setnaja lair.jpg

Setnaja avatar.jpg
Setnaja avatar.jpg (57.22 KiB) Viewed 13366 times
smiles and bows with a serpentine flourish. In addition to the normal elemental servants that wander the halls, seated nearby are an odd assemblage of individuals. An ogre, a humanoid cat, a person clad entirely in armor and wearing a cloak, and a shark with arms and legs (which would seem out of place, except your leader is a snake man with arms and legs, so really, this is actually par for the course.) What the rest of you notice is that Marten is not there.
Setnaja addresses you. "Ah, friends, I thank you for once again answering the call. I have some things for you as a gift for your incredible service to life and the megaverse." Some of the elemental servants approach you, bearing gifts individualized to suit each of you. Turning to @Adriana, Setnaja inquires. "I trust you enjoyed that book? I did have to reclaim it. You understand." The were-panther notices the book she had taken is being replaced on its shelf by a gnome with a nasty look on its face, likely on account of the height to which he has to reach to set it back.

He makes quick introductions between you all. "This is @Blackfish, a transfer student from my good friend Plato in Lazlo." He gestures towards the ogre. He then points towards the sharkman. "@Vito has particular knowledge of the environs to which you are traveling. He is also a suitable replacement for Everett's brawn." Turning again, he introduces the cat-man. "Fernando was sent to me by an associate of mine. He has talents you may find useful." He nods towards @Custos CarcerisXXVII. "Twenty-Seven, as you may call him, is one of my personal apprentices."
In turn, he introduces Adriana the were-panther, @Heather Todd the psionic, @Dominic Skodati the arcane courier, Gaspard Gillead the summoner, and @Kidemonas the dragon.

Having dispensed with introductions and pleasantries, Setnaja begins explaining the purpose for the meeting. "Lieutenant Vielar has requested your assistance with investigating several murders in a town of limited use to the Legion. I confess that this coincides with a task of my own that I have for you, so I have acquiesced. Upon concluding this investigation, I have arranged a ship to take you to an island community east into the ocean. It is not far. I have an item I wish delivered to an old friend there, Aewyn, and unfortunately, it cannot be simply teleported." A moderate-sized carved wooden box is brought out and handed to Dominic. It weighs no more than 5 pounds. "I trust you can keep this secret during your travels? If you are accosted and it is in danger of being discovered, I request that you open a random dimensional rift and toss it through." He smiles. "It matters not where it is sent."

He answers any questions you might have, then urges you to return in time for Vielar's briefing. "All fortune go with you, friends."

Vielar.png
listens to your reports as you explain what transpired leading up to and while on Amity. He is equally perplexed by the loss of Alex. "We simply have no record of such a person enlisted with the Legion, let alone being assigned to your unit. It looks like your only losses are Gill, Curatrix, and Everett. You sure you didn't pick him up along the way?"
He shrugs his shoulders, then points to the data screen on the wall of the briefing room. In his normal, un-elf-like manner, he gets right to the point. "We're short-staffed. Setnaja has graciously allowed us to borrow you all again for something that may be up your alley." (You get the distinct impression Vielar didn't like having to ask.) "This is Cullport. It doesn't look like much, but we're trying to make contacts along the coasts, and this...it's the coast. More to the point, they're having some very bad luck with murder in a small-ish town. The murders don't look like just murders though. So maybe you all head out to the coast, enjoy the sea breeze, and stop whatever killings are going on? The town champion is a guy named Mustaine. He can help you get your bearings."
He glances at the new additions. "New blood? Good. Guess you'll need it. We keep losing good people. Try not to die, please."
He looks around idly, expecting questions but hoping he doesn't hear any. "Setnaja's making your transit easy. Get your gear. Head to his room. Good luck."

With a brief arcane ritual, the snake man mage opens a portal and deposits you an hour's walk outside the town.
Instructions
What are you doing? Straight into town? Investigate the outskirts? Abandoning the task and going rogue with the weird box Setnaja gave you?
Beware the mesmerizing eyes of the snake!
12th AAT Bennies
12th AAT GM Bennies: 2/8
Wild Card Bennies:
Devak: 0/2
Varig: 0/2
Cole: 0/2
Prestige Unlimited Bennies
Prestige Unlimited GM Bennies: 5/5
Wild Card Bennies:
William Tack: 3
Kraig: 3
Vedder: 3
Shade: 3
Fletch: 3
Findriel: 0
Niels: 4
Gaspard Gillead

Re: Adventure 3: Cullport

Post by Gaspard Gillead »

As they orient themselves on the far side of the portal, he nods to the others, and turns to address the team's leader, at least so far as he's concerned. "Heather, I suggest we scope out the lay of the land out here for a bit before going into town--at least enough to set a meet-up point if we get separated and have to regroup."
Gaspard Gillead
Seasoned D'Norr Shifter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d12, Spirit d10, Strength d4 (d8 in armor), Vigor d6
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 4; Toughness: 17 (8); Strain: 0; Corruption: 0
Skills:
Spellcasting d12; Fighting d4; Athletics d4
Academics d8; Research d10; Common Knowledge d6; Occult d8
Persuasion d6 (Free Re-roll, -1 outside Occult circles); Notice d6; Stealth d4
Edges: Charismatic, Horns, Bind the Summoned, Spell Mastery (Interrogation); Ley Line Magic Mastery; Ley Line Phasing; Ley Line Gate; Sense Rifts; Shift Reality; Linguist; Diabolist; Strong-Willed; Psychotically Brave; Investigator
Hindrances: Quirk (Sweet Tooth); Minor Enemy (Toben Heiros); Code of Honor; Sensitive; Alien Physiology; Disconnected
Powers (Personal): Return From Whence You Came; Mystic Armory; Mana Chill; Authority; Wings of the Demon; Mystic Interrogation; From Darkness Born; Rapid Transit; Expanded Awareness
Powers (Gear, no Modifiers): Nightmode, Magnification, Wall of Flame (May Use Damage Modifier), Universal Translator, Fortify Will (may use Greater Boost Modifier)
Special: Communication Rift; Dimension Sense
Gear
Soulguard (+2 Resistance to Corruption/mind control; Fortify Will Power)
Combat Mage Heavy EBA (+6A/+3T, +2 Strength Die-types)
Vibro-Knife (Str + d4 MD, AP 6)
Rift Staff (Str + d6, Parry +1, Manipulate Rifts +2, 2-handed, +2 PPE/rd to do MD)
Branaghan Arms Special Overcoat (+2A/+1T; It Has Pockets!)
Bag of Holding
Adriana
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Adriana »

She has the grace to look chagrined about the book. "Did not mean to take. Was not ready. But I thank for use." She shakes her head when Vielar speaks about Alex. "Alex with us from start. Consumed by Death avatar. Maybe that why he erased from here." She is disturbed and uncomfortable with the feeling. The kid didn't deserve to have his existence erased. She seems to still be having trouble processing her emotions on this. Perhaps it has to do with failing to protect those in her group. She growls a little when Vielar says 'try not to die....' Though she isn't in a form that has a tail, you can practically see the tail lashing behind her. They weren't planning on dying but they did literally battle the incarnation of death, they deserve a little bit of slack. At least she thinks so. It doesn't take her long to get ready. She doesn't really have a lot of equipment or extraneous possessions.
Adriana Da Silva
Cheatsheet
Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6

Athletics d8 (+2 Climb), Common Knowledge d4, Notice d4 (+2 If Cat/Man Monster Form), Persuasion d4, Stealth d6, Spellcasting d8, Psionics d6, Fighting d10 (+2), Intimidation d4, Survival d4, Shooting d4, Occult d4, Language d4 American (Native: Spanguese)

PPE 20/20- (10 from Werecat 5 from gem, 5 from advance)
ISP 20/20 - (10 from Werecat 10 from gem)
Bennie's 3/3

Wounds 0/3

Claws STR+2d12 AP 8, Bite STR+2d4 AP 8, attack x2 each claw one Wild Die to go to either.

Silver Plated Sword STR+d6 ,

Edit Sig
Custos CarcerisXXVII

Post by Custos CarcerisXXVII »

Introductions made, XXVII busies itself poking through Setnaja's wondrous stash of magical sundries and powerful artifacts. The large metallic being ooh's, ah's and hmmm's until it is time to leave. Setnaja does have to turn the construct's attention away from horde and towards the mission, but it takes little more than the promise of arcane anomalies just over the horizon.

XXVII zones out during the meeting, examining each individual to determine where they fall on the magical spectrum. It does catch something about portaling to their next destination and snaps back to reality in time to prepare itself. Stepping forward to join the team, XXVII
Thaumatographic Overlay (Disguise): Raise
Disguise 2 PP + Illusury Mask 2 PP - Self 1 PP - Channeling 1 PP = 2 PPE
27 looks and sounds like a large (size 1) but otherwise normal human. -4 to see through. (20 Minutes)
Spellcasting 1d12!+3: [10]+3 = 13 (+1 Mystic Staff)
Wild 1d6!+3: [1]+3 = 4
to that of a large
CC27 Human Disguise.jpg
. Just before the portal opens to take the 12th to its destination, XXVII's
Arcane Suppression (Conceal Arcana): Raise
Conceal Arcana 2 PP - Channeling 1 PP = 1 PPE
27 seems to be a mundane individual unless an opposed arcane skills roll is made. (Until dismissed or incapacitated.)
Spellcasting 2 (Conceal Arcana - I will tag the spell in the future) 1d12!+3: [8]+3 = 11 (+1 Mystic Staff)
Wild 2 1d6!+3: [6!, 3]+3 = 12
down to that of an average mundane individual.

He blinks his human eyes as he takes in the new location and murmurs, "A well executed portalling, I must say. I wouldn't have expected as much from barbarians."

"Right then!" he claps his hands together, "As our self proclaimed expert on all things magical, arcane or otherwise unusual...I'm going to go in that general direction and
Looking for Anything Strange: Occult 9 (Dumb Luck Invoked)
Occult 1d12!+2: [1]+2 = 3
wild 1d6!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Benny
Occult Reroll 1d12!+2: [7]+2 = 9
Wild 3 Reroll 1d6!+2: [2]+2 = 4
. Feel free to ask for my help when you inevitablly come across whatever something you can't figure out."
Custos Carceris XXVII
"XXVII"
Pace: 6(d6); Flight: 6(d6) Parry: 7(2); Toughness: 23(10)/25(12) MDC
  • +4 Damage from Psionics and -4 to resist Psionics
  • -2 Protection vs heat-based Attacks
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Construct: +2 to recover from being Shaken, ignore 1 point of Wound penalties, don’t breathe, and are immune to Disease and Poison. Repair (Occult) instead of Healing with no Golden Hour.
  • Improved Senses: +2 to Sight-based Notice; Ignore Dim/Dark Illumination Penalties.
  • Malfunctions: Constructs are subject to the same types of problems plaguing all advanced items (i.e. Technical Difficulties).
  • No Vital Systems: Called Shots deal no extra damage versus them.
  • Obscure Construction: −4 penalty on skill checks related to XXVII's construction (such as repairing, modifying, or examining them).
  • One with Magic: Gain detect/conceal arcana as an Innate Ability; can sense supernatural beings within line of sight with a Notice check. Conceal arcana even works while sleeping, it only stops working if forcibly Incapacitated.
  • Weapon System (Integral; 2): Staff of the Archmage and Enchanted Greatsword may be concealed when not in use. Looking for them when concealed imposes a -4 penalty to Notice.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2;
PPE: 22/25; Staff PPE: 10/10 Overdrive PPE: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3; Golden Bennies: 0/1
Custos' Color(#BF40FF)
Edit Signature
Vito
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Vito »

Seeming impatient, it looks like Vito would fold his arms across his chest, were he able to do so. He does his best to appear unimpressed by the grand surroundings but you catch him glancing upward at the enormous glasswork and just for a moment, you could have sworn you saw him nuzzling the fabric of one of the tapestries. When his name his mentioned, he regains awareness of his location and quickly grasps the heavy fabric, rubbing it between thumb and forefinger, then appearing as if he is using it to remove fingerprints and other smudges from his armor's metal yoke.

Mmmm, nice.

Being abruptly removed from the lavish interior, Vito swings his head around, back and forth, to gauge his new location. As some of the team members begin moving away, he decides it is probably best to follow them. Quickly producing a collapsible cup, he fills it with water from one two large canteens he carries. In one swift motion, he throws the water across his face then folds and stores the cup in the pocket from whence it came.

Surreptitiously to himself but not so much to others, he follows @Heather Todd at a moderate distance, whiffing the air as he goes.
Last edited by Vito on Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Bennies 4/3

Vito Updated Character Sheet
Blackfish
Daniel (Lars)

Post by Blackfish »

Once they arrive the combat mage nods at @@Gaspard Gillead.

“Agree. I think scouting the area is definitely a good idea before we head in.”

Waving his big beefy hand in a arcane motion a bicycle is
1d10!!: [6] = 6 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
out of thin air. Stepping onto the bike he coasts along with the rest.

Looking at the one called @Custos CarcerisXXVII he asks: “Where did you study?”

@Snake Eyes
Sense anything?

Ley Line Sense: Can sense a ley line within 10 miles, and he can automatically tell how powerful it is, in what directions it flows, where it meets other ley lines at nexus points, and other aspects as might apply (such as if a huge amount of its energy is being siphoned for some other purpose). He can also sense any nearby Rifts within 10 miles, as well as the arcane tremors created by the eruption of new or recurring Rifts within 50 miles.
Accounts

Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Game Master
    • The Black Company
    • Machinations

Savage Rifts Player Characters
  • Niki NEMA Peacekeeper / Commando
    Adventures Inc. GM - Venatus Vinco
  • Mercer Mercenary Exiled RCSG
    Mercy Six GM - Pender Lumkiss
  • Boon Psychic & Mechanic
    Phaseworld GM - Ndreare
  • Blackfish Combat Mage / Ogre
    Tomorrow Legion 12th AAT GM - Snake Eyes
  • Player Account 6 Unlocked & Unused.
Heather Todd

Post by Heather Todd »

Notice 5
Notice 1d4!!: [5!!] = 5
Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Cullport
Afternoon
Round 0

Heather, now in her armor and encumbered by a heavy pack with a rifle strapped to it, looked around the area as they stepped out of the portal. She instinctively scanned around for nearby minds until Gaspard spoke to her.

“A bit of recon would be a good idea,” Heather agreed with Gaspard. “Adriana, you’re pretty stealthy. Can you do a quick spin around the area…” Heather trailed off as one of the new team members, 27 (what kind of name was that?) just…walked off in a random direction, followed by the big ogre guy…on a bicycle…

“Or we could just start walking…”

Heather facepalmed for a moment. She wished she knew more about these new team members, knew what they could do, had time to train and integrate them into the team. The strange numbered man said he was an expert on magic and such (hey, isn’t that my job!), and the shark guy and the ogre looked big and strong, but that was about all she knew.

“Okay. Everyone keep your eyes open,” Heather said.

Character Tracker
Heather Todd Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 16 (8)
ISP: 50/50
Blue Mind Gem: 35/35 ISP; intangibility
Red Mind Gem: 30/30 ISP; barrier
Mind Circlet: 10/10 ISP for barrier, intangibility (innate powers)
Bennies: 5/3
Shard Pistol: 12/12 shots
Armor: 10/10 PP
Fireburst Rifle: 20/20 shots
First aid kit: 3/3
Powers: barrier (red mind gem), bolt, conceal arcana*, confusion, detect arcana*, empathy (free reroll), entangle, fear (free reroll), fly*, intangibility* (blue mind gem), invisibility (armor), mind link, mind reading, mind wipe (blue mind gem), puppet, slumber, telekinesis (auto raise)
Encumbrance: 36.75/20 (including pack, 56.75/20, -2 Pace, running, Agility-linked skills, Vigor to resist Fatigue)(Normal: Armor 13, Coat 5, 4 Grenades 2=20)
Major Psionic: May spend 2 ISP to gain +1 to the roll, or 4 ISP for +2.
Master of Psionics: Mind Melters get a free reroll on all Trait rolls when using psychic abilities and their Psionics skill; this does not allow Critical Failures to be rerolled.
Mental Resistance: Melters have +4 to all checks to resist psionic effects, and +4 armor against psionic damage..
Grenades (carried)
  • 1 High Explosive
  • 9 Fragmentation
  • 2 Plasma
Character Tracker
Parry: 4; Toughness: 14 (6)
ISP: 30/30
Bennies: 4/3
Encumbrance: 28/28 (including pack, 70.75/28, -2 Agility and Strength skills)
Major Psionic: Mind Melters have the Major Psionic Edge and can spend 2 ISP to gain a +1 with any Psionic skill roll, or 4 ISP for a +2 (paid before the roll is made). These effects are doubled when on a ley line.
Mental Resistance/Mentalist: +6 vs Psionic effects, +4 Armor vs Psionic damage, +2 opposed Psionics rolls
Rapid Recharge: 1 ISP/30m
Grenades (carried)
  • 1 High Explosive
  • 1 Fragmentation
  • 2 Plasma
Shard Pistol: 36/36 shots
Adventure Card
  • Let’s Settle This: Play at the beginning of a combat round with no Jokers. No character can soak wounds until a Joker is drawn.
Dominic Skodati

Post by Dominic Skodati »

Dom keeps quite not want to be forced to list to Gaspard prattle at him. Instead he turns his attention to the box, It can't be teleported, but I can throw it in a rift. Sounds like a riddle. Setnaja is kinda boring me with all his mystic guru mystery nonsense.

Never one for following directions Dom makes an effort to
Exalted Detect Arcana Spellcasting 1d12+1!! / 1d6+!!: [9]+1+[4] = 14 , 9 (raise?)
, he assumes it will be sheathed in protective magics, but one can never be too nosy. Speaking of which, he casts a glance at his new companions while his arcane sight is open.

Portaling into the location annoys Dom even more. It can portal, rift, but not teleport. Cursed box.

As talk turns to operations Dom turns his focus to the task at hand. Recon.

"We're skulking about then? Thought we were the good guys."

With that he flips up the collar of his overcoat and takes on the look of a non-descript, road worn, vagabond (disguise).
Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Fernando is a 2 meter tall mutant panther, dressed in jeans, cowboy style boots, a black button up shirt and a cowboy hat, with the brim tilted down. He tends to speak at a volume most people would consider to be yelling and is one of those people who can't help but give you a clap on the back or a hug when he sees you. As they step through the portal his nose twitches, breathing in the air. His big yellow eyes turn to @Heather Todd . "Ms. Heather?" he says with a light accent. "What would you have me do?"
Custos CarcerisXXVII

Post by Custos CarcerisXXVII »

Blackfish wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:19 pm Waving his big beefy hand in a arcane motion a bicycle is
1d10!!: [6] = 6 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
out of thin air. Stepping onto the bike he coasts along with the rest.
Looking at the one called @Custos CarcerisXXVII he asks: “Where did you study?”
XXVII, in its human guise, crinkles his forhead in thought as he responds to @Blackfish , "Setnaja did inform me about the various traditions of this realm. Technowizardry in particular is the height of barbarism, but I have seen some of it's merits within the snake's hoard. I'm not wholy unfamiliar with the miracles of holy men, but they are not common in my homeland. I am intrigued by the mind magic so many barbarians wield in this land. It is a magic completely foreign to my people. In fact, I have high hopes that @Heather Todd will allow me to study her."

"That is the extent of my 'apprenticeship' with Setnaja." XXVII lets out an exasperated sigh after mentioning the snake man's name, "He may very well have earned the credentials to be named Archmage in the Empire, but I myself acquired the title in my previous life. It is not hubris to say that I have forgotten more about magic than many others have learned. Having one's soul grafted to a golem isn't without consequences after all. I could not say where I studied - my past is lost to me."
Custos Carceris XXVII
"XXVII"
Pace: 6(d6); Flight: 6(d6) Parry: 7(2); Toughness: 23(10)/25(12) MDC
  • +4 Damage from Psionics and -4 to resist Psionics
  • -2 Protection vs heat-based Attacks
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Construct: +2 to recover from being Shaken, ignore 1 point of Wound penalties, don’t breathe, and are immune to Disease and Poison. Repair (Occult) instead of Healing with no Golden Hour.
  • Improved Senses: +2 to Sight-based Notice; Ignore Dim/Dark Illumination Penalties.
  • Malfunctions: Constructs are subject to the same types of problems plaguing all advanced items (i.e. Technical Difficulties).
  • No Vital Systems: Called Shots deal no extra damage versus them.
  • Obscure Construction: −4 penalty on skill checks related to XXVII's construction (such as repairing, modifying, or examining them).
  • One with Magic: Gain detect/conceal arcana as an Innate Ability; can sense supernatural beings within line of sight with a Notice check. Conceal arcana even works while sleeping, it only stops working if forcibly Incapacitated.
  • Weapon System (Integral; 2): Staff of the Archmage and Enchanted Greatsword may be concealed when not in use. Looking for them when concealed imposes a -4 penalty to Notice.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2;
PPE: 22/25; Staff PPE: 10/10 Overdrive PPE: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3; Golden Bennies: 0/1
Custos' Color(#BF40FF)
Edit Signature
Blackfish
Daniel (Lars)

Post by Blackfish »

As the Ogre, Blackfish, coasts along on the conjurered bicycle he listens to XXVII.

Nodding his head and smiling the combat mage says:

”Well. Okay. Ugh. Hmm. Super great talking to you. Ugh. Oh hey @Heather Todd whats that? Stick together. Yeah. Sure. Of course.”

Smiling at XXVII the Ogre steers his bicycle closer to Heather.

“So. You’re in charge?”
Accounts

Savage Rifts Game Master
    • The Black Company
    • Machinations

Phaseworld GM - Ndreare
Heather Todd

Post by Heather Todd »

Cullport
Afternoon
Round 0

Heather looked to Fernando as he asked her what he should do. “You any good at sneaking around?” she asked. From what she knew about mutants, they often had skills similar to the animals they were mutated from, so he might be pretty stealthy. “If so, go with Adriana for a look around. That way no one is off alone.”

She frowned a bit when 27 said he wished to study her. She wasn’t a guinea pig.

Blackfish rode over to her on his bike and asked if she was in charge. Heather had to pause a bit. “Not…officially,” she admitted. Setnaja had never really any assigned leadership in the group. “I guess I just sort of…stepped up. I just think it’s better to get a lay of the land and a situation report before we go wandering off into trouble.”

Character Tracker
ISP: 50/50
Powers: barrier (red mind gem), bolt, conceal arcana*, confusion, detect arcana*, empathy (free reroll), entangle, fear (free reroll), fly*, intangibility* (blue mind gem), invisibility (armor), mind link, mind reading, mind wipe (blue mind gem), puppet, slumber, telekinesis (auto raise)
Encumbrance: 36.75/20 (including pack, 56.75/20, -2 Pace, running, Agility-linked skills, Vigor to resist Fatigue)(Normal: Armor 13, Coat 5, 4 Grenades 2=20)
Master of Psionics: Mind Melters get a free reroll on all Trait rolls when using psychic abilities and their Psionics skill; this does not allow Critical Failures to be rerolled.
Mental Resistance: Melters have +4 to all checks to resist psionic effects, and +4 armor against psionic damage..
Grenades (carried)
  • 1 High Explosive
  • 9 Fragmentation
  • 2 Plasma
Character Tracker
Major Psionic: Mind Melters have the Major Psionic Edge and can spend 2 ISP to gain a +1 with any Psionic skill roll, or 4 ISP for a +2 (paid before the roll is made). These effects are doubled when on a ley line.
Mental Resistance/Mentalist: +6 vs Psionic effects, +4 Armor vs Psionic damage, +2 opposed Psionics rolls
Grenades (carried)
  • 1 High Explosive
  • 1 Fragmentation
  • 2 Plasma
Adventure Card
  • Let’s Settle This: Play at the beginning of a combat round with no Jokers. No character can soak wounds until a Joker is drawn.
Vito
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Vito »

Amid the whuffing and heavy wheezing coming from the mouth of all breathers, you hear a reactive guffaw after @Custos CarcerisXXVII speaks about past lives and golem bodies.

Haw! So what yer sayin' izzat you don't remember why yer better than us? It's a good deal for you that someone gifted ya that fancy chassis to wander around in then I s'pose. They had a pretty good sense o'humor too! If you were just a snobby spirit voice then we might not know which direction to genuflect. Uh-heh! I like this guy!

Vito sniffs loudly around the strange creature's vicinity, a somewhat unsettling gargle accompanying the huffing and the mucus he occasionally coughs up.

Ya know, we had one o them nifty robuts at our club once. He er, it was great at keeping the rooms clean and the vehicles running. Also a pretty good bouncer - terrible dealer though. Whoever built your frame musta put in some overtime. Nothin' leaking, talks good... So what does something like you price out at? (puts hands up, palms out) Conservatively. You have, like, a remote or somethin'?
Current Bennies 4/3

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Fernando grins. "Ms. @Heather Todd I am not so great at this sneakery. However if you wish, I would be more than happy to accompany Ms. @Adriana ."

He nods and heads off in the direction Adriana was last seen heading.
Gaspard Gillead

Gaspard actually gives a bark of laughter as Dominic snarks back at the arrogant Golem. THen, when the line about 'skulking about' is tossed down, he snorts. "Even the 'good guys' sometimes need to not advertise their presence--especially when the 'bad guys' are looking to take their macguffin."

Then he turns to Fernando. "For all intents and purposes, yes, Miss Todd is 'in charge' of this group." Then he calls to Heather. "If Adrianna is comfortable with it, I'll send the boys here with her--they're pretty good at skulking, especially in the shadows." He points to the two newest 'companions', who, having shed their outer cloaks now that they are in the field, are already starting to blend into the surrounding dimness.
Gaspard Gillead
Seasoned D'Norr Shifter
OOC Comments
Skills:
Edges: Charismatic, Horns, Bind the Summoned, Spell Mastery (Interrogation); Ley Line Magic Mastery; Ley Line Phasing; Ley Line Gate; Sense Rifts; Shift Reality; Linguist; Diabolist; Strong-Willed; Psychotically Brave; Investigator
Hindrances: Quirk (Sweet Tooth); Minor Enemy (Toben Heiros); Code of Honor; Sensitive; Alien Physiology; Disconnected
Powers (Personal): Return From Whence You Came; Mystic Armory; Mana Chill; Authority; Wings of the Demon; Mystic Interrogation; From Darkness Born; Rapid Transit; Expanded Awareness
Powers (Gear, no Modifiers): Nightmode, Magnification, Wall of Flame (May Use Damage Modifier), Universal Translator, Fortify Will (may use Greater Boost Modifier)
Gear
Rift Staff (Str + d6, Parry +1, Manipulate Rifts +2, 2-handed, +2 PPE/rd to do MD)
Bag of Holding
Kidemonas
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kidemonas »

Kidemonas listens to the briefing a little distracted as his mind explores all that he has gone through, gained and lost in the last couple days. When the Serpent mage begins telling them the box cannot be teleported and then hands it to @Dominic, Kidemonas thinks. "So if the box cannot be teleported, what will happen when Dominic does his casual teleport thing? I mean it is kind of his thing." The old mage must have considered it, but an answer was important now. He did not want Dominic doubting his abilities in the middle of battle.

As @XXVII explained how superior he was to everyone Kidemonas asked. "Is it often on your world superior beings needs to remind everyone?"

Either way he was ready to get to action. "I could try to sneak, but people do tend to notice me. So where would you like me @Heather"
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Blackfish
There is a ley line about 2 miles to the west. It runs NE/SW, and is not terribly large, nor exceptionally powerful. It is not being siphoned, though you get the impression that's part of how you got here. A miniature rift has just closed at the nearest point to you. Strange that you were dumped out so far from it.
Dom
Spellcasting vs. EDA: 1d12!!+3: [7]+3 = 10
WD Spellcasting vs. EDA: 1d10!!+3: [5]+3 = 8
The chest appears to be actively resisting your attempts to scry. You see nothing but a black hole where you know the box sits.
The early afternoon sun is warm but not oppressive. There is very little out of the ordinary where you stand. A brief reconnoiter reveals nothing of note; a few homes and limited farmland, and no hostile wildlife to be seen.
As you approach Cullport, you see a functioning, relatively quiet town that stretches towards the beach. There are lots of buildings of various construction materials and types. Beyond it is the Atlantic Ocean. Its vastness holds mysteries and dangers and wonders. It also holds a source of life and livelihood for many in this town. You can see boats of varying sizes out on the water with nets cast into the ocean.

As you enter the town, the mixed bag that is the 12th draws more than casual looks. Some faces show a little fear, others marvel. Few seem interested in any kind of conflict, but most watch until you pass. You don't get to wander very far, though. You recognize Kirk Mustaine from the image at the briefing. He walks towards you, a laser pistol on his hip, but otherwise unarmed and unarmored. "Sure hope you all are from the Tomorrow Legion. This little thing isn't gonna do more than tickle the..." He trails off for a moment as he regards both @Vito and @Blackfish with resignation. "...shark man and the ogre. Oh well." He introduces himself, confirming Vielar's intel is still valid. "Welcome to Cullport. I...well, we could use your help. Long trip? Let's get you fed. The fish and chips are amazing. Come with me."

The weathered fellow leads you to a beautiful structure housing a bed and breakfast. He sits in the sizable dining room and offers you all a seat. As he talks, several plates of food are brought out. Each one has some form of prepared fish along with local sides. "So we have a nice town. Not much happens here. Between me and a couple of folks, we can keep most trouble outside the limits. Some sailors can get sideways after a binge, but that's just a bonk on the head and a free room to sleep it off." He picks up the last half of a fish sandwich, takes a bite, and continues. "Just a couple weeks ago, we found Toby Mitchell, a shipbuilder, dead in his workshop. It's not an accident." He draws a finger across his throat. "Not just dead. Cut his head clean off. Can't imagine who would want to do him in like that. He was always a nice guy." He shakes his head, then pops a chip into his mouth.

"Well, obviously we didn't do a good job finding the killer. Couple days after that, Marley Blackwell shows up dead. He has three kids. His wife passed some time ago. He didn't go quickly. Someone put him through it on his way out." He shudders at the memory.

"That's plenty, you'd think, but just a couple days ago, Elsie Burns shows up the same way Toby did. Clean across the neck." He sighs dejectedly. "I'm not a sleuth. I'm a fighter by trade. Getting too old for all this and don't really know where to start. Had a guy roll through about a week ago, said he was with the Tomorrow Legion. I asked if he could help. Didn't seem interested, but said he'd pass it along to his uppity ups. Didn't expect to hear from them so soon, let alone with a small army sent out. Hope you're good for more than fighting." He sips on what looks like an iced tea. "Think you can help us? I don't want to lose any more of my people."
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Gaspard Gillead

Gaspard nods, speaking in that ingratiating voice that all D'norr have, when they really need it. "Let me assure you, Mr. Mustaine, we will do everything we can to assist you in this matter. I think our best bet would be to examine the scenes of the crimes, starting with the most recent. Do you think you can give us some background info on the victims? Especially anything they might have had in common?"

Mentally, he's already focused on one detail. He signals @Heather Todd discretely to open a mind-link; it's up to her if she wants to spend enough juice to get them all, or just to link with him. The second body was roughed up; the other two were clean kills. That suggests that there's something going on with that one--hell, the other two deaths could be a smokescreen, or they might still be linked but Mr. Blackwell had information the killer needed before doing him in. Still, we should do the investigation in the most obvious fashion, as if all three deaths have equal weight--if the second murder is the most significant, we don't want to be obvious that that's where we are focused right off--and really, it's only a working theory, right now.
Gaspard Gillead
Seasoned D'Norr Shifter
OOC Comments
Skills:
Gear
Bag of Holding
Adriana
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Adriana »

Adriana nods as the man introduces himself and to confirm they are from the Legion. She let's the others do the talking as she sniffs at the air to see if she can smell anything untoward. She expects some blood as it is hard to clean even they tried. But perhaps the scent of the killer lingers.
Adriana Da Silva
Cheatsheet

Athletics d8 (+2 Climb), Common Knowledge d4, Notice d4 (+2 If Cat/Man Monster Form), Persuasion d4, Stealth d6, Spellcasting d8, Psionics d6, Fighting d10 (+2), Intimidation d4, Survival d4, Shooting d4, Occult d4, Language d4 American (Native: Spanguese)

Bennie's 3/3

Wounds 0/3

Claws STR+2d12 AP 8, Bite STR+2d4 AP 8, attack x2 each claw one Wild Die to go to either.

Edit Sig
Dominic Skodati

Murder in small towns means big trouble.

In a place like this, where everybody knows everyone else's business, killing was usually a crime of passion. An old feud, a lover's spat, or a bar brawl gone too far. But decapitation and mutilation don't fit the normal yokle throw down. Devil man has the right idea to search the scenes. Not sure his hunch was right about one being more important than the others. In a small place like this the murders are probably like the people - all related somehow.

"Decapitation sounds like an execution. Don't suppose it's as simple as a bounty hunter finally cashed in on their past? Or are all the bodies locals?"
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Mustaine nods at @Gaspard Gillead. "Sure. I can take you to Elsie's place. We haven't moved her body yet. Active crime scene and everything." He drops the chip he was about to eat. "Everyone else has been buried. We took pictures though." He has a small, beat-up handheld computer he pulls from his pocket.
He takes a deep breath and lets it out slow, thinking over Gaspard's next question. "How are they connected? They all live in a small town together. I'm sure they knew each other. Elsie made nets and other fishing gear. Toby built and outfitted boats. Blackwell owns some property and also one of the bigger fishing outfits. I don't think there was much social interaction though."
He turns to @Dominic Skodati. "Unless they all have a secret double life nobody in a small town knew about, they didn't do much outside of Cullport. Near as I can tell, we don't have much Black Market activity here. They don't care much about fishmongers. All three were locals."
@Adriana doesn't smell much but fish, ocean, and some of the delightful smells from the kitchen of the B&B. Mustaine has no blood on him.
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Vito
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Vito »

(if a mind link is active, otherwise Vito will share his thoughts after the group is out of earshot of this place) The sharkman cares little for small town drama and intrigue, yet he can't help but be intrigued with this, what, with the fish being cooked and all.

Sounds like the fishing folks either caught something that they couldn't handle, or maybe something followed them back and isn't too happy about their presence down below. Or maybe they found something down there that someone else wants back. Vito internally muses.
Current Bennies 4/3

Heather Todd

Post by Heather Todd »

Cullport/Bed & Breakfast
Afternoon
Round 0

Heather’s stomach rumbled a little at the idea of some fish and chips, so she delightedly noshed down on whitefish drenched in tartar sauce and jumbo fried shrimp in cocktail sauce and a large, cold lemonade as she listened to Mustaine make his report. At Gaspard’s signal, she focused and linked all their minds together so they could talk privately.

“The second death, the beating, could also indicate it might have been more…personal,” Heather thought to the others.

“We’ll take copies of those pictures,” Heather acknowledged Mustaine, pulling out her own field computer. “This Tomorrow Legion person that passed through, did you get a name?” she asked. “Any other people in town that are strangers, nonlocals? And we would definitely like a look at Elsie’s crime scene, and the other two, as well, if they are still intact. And we will need to know of anyone who was on scene with you investigating.”

To her team, she thought, “When we get to the scene, everyone stay outside and away from the building a bit. Let Adriana make a few passes and see if she can get some scents. We’ll probably need to start eliminating local persons who were investigating.”

Character Tracker
ISP: 44/50
Grenades (carried)
  • 1 High Explosive
  • 9 Fragmentation
  • 2 Plasma
Character Tracker
Grenades (carried)
  • 1 High Explosive
  • 1 Fragmentation
  • 2 Plasma
Adventure Card
Blackfish
Daniel (Lars)

Post by Blackfish »

The Ogre dismissed the bicycle as they arrived in town. Conjuring was by far his favorite aspect of magic, he’d taken the class at the Lazlo School of Magic on a whim. As a student of combat magic he used conjuring as a weapon but enjoyed applying it to non combat aspects.

He did his best attempt at a casual smile as they came into the town and the people who gave them looks. He was quite used to being stared at. At seven feet two inches tall he stood out. Grey skin and brutish face got him a lot of looks. In a way his outward looks were a kind of camouflage. People tended to not expect how well he spoke or how learned he was.

Blackfish kept quiet, he was new on the team, and enjoyed seeing how everyone else handled this he situation.

The food was good and he was thankful for it.

He wasn’t an investigator but figured his training in the occult and thievery might help determine something.

The group mind link impressed him, nicely done, and he listened to everyone and only interjected once that he heard to stay outside at first.
Accounts

Savage Rifts Game Master
    • The Black Company
    • Machinations

Phaseworld GM - Ndreare
Kidemonas
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kidemonas »

Kidemonas tried some of everything offered. Some small bits here, and another small bit there. In the end it seemed unnatural to watch as what looks like a 220 lb human should not be able to hold that much food inside of themselves.

As the conversation turned to the topic of the murders Kidemonas smiled. "Well, I am not trained at investigating yet. But he is really smart." He says pointing to @Gaspard then to @Dominic "He is pretty smart too. Dragons are very fast learners, and I am even faster than most. But the funniest part for me when come in once we find the murderer." He offers with a large smile.

Looking to the team he asks. "So lets go check out this crime scene." As he begins to stand then he thinks better. "I am curious, why not just get everyone here and read their minds? We could have this all wrapped up by nightfall." Kidemonas then waits for an answer from the others. Afterall isn't that what mind melters do?
Adriana
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Adriana »

Heather Todd wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:39 am Cullport/Bed & Breakfast
Afternoon
Round 0

Heather’s stomach rumbled a little at the idea of some fish and chips, so she delightedly noshed down on whitefish drenched in tartar sauce and jumbo fried shrimp in cocktail sauce and a large, cold lemonade as she listened to Mustaine make his report. At Gaspard’s signal, she focused and linked all their minds together so they could talk privately.

“The second death, the beating, could also indicate it might have been more…personal,” Heather thought to the others.

“We’ll take copies of those pictures,” Heather acknowledged Mustaine, pulling out her own field computer. “This Tomorrow Legion person that passed through, did you get a name?” she asked. “Any other people in town that are strangers, nonlocals? And we would definitely like a look at Elsie’s crime scene, and the other two, as well, if they are still intact. And we will need to know of anyone who was on scene with you investigating.”

To her team, she thought, “When we get to the scene, everyone stay outside and away from the building a bit. Let Adriana make a few passes and see if she can get some scents. We’ll probably need to start eliminating local persons who were investigating.”

Character Tracker
ISP: 44/50
Grenades (carried)
  • 1 High Explosive
  • 9 Fragmentation
  • 2 Plasma
Through the mindlink, Language is less of a barrier. Thus her speech is much less broken. "I don't smell any blood at the moment. Not from here, at least."(Not done)
Adriana Da Silva
Cheatsheet

Bennie's 3/3

Wounds 0/3

Edit Sig
Gaspard Gillead

Kidemonas wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:54 am
Looking to the team he asks. "So lets go check out this crime scene." As he begins to stand then he thinks better. "I am curious, why not just get everyone here and read their minds? We could have this all wrapped up by nightfall." Kidemonas then waits for an answer from the others. Afterall isn't that what mind melters do?
Gaspard sighs. "Sadly, most people are reluctant to permit such, even if it would exonerate them from a murder investigation. And while we are investigating, I do not believe we have been granted the sort of authority that would allow us to force compliance. Of course, I can do it surreptitiously, but we need to winnow down the field of suspects, first; reading everyone in town would be both time-consuming and quite prohibitive in terms of PPE."
Gaspard Gillead
Seasoned D'Norr Shifter
OOC Comments
Skills:
Gear
Bag of Holding
Kidemonas
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kidemonas »

Gaspard Gillead wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:54 pm Gaspard sighs. "Sadly, most people are reluctant to permit such, even if it would exonerate them from a murder investigation. And while we are investigating, I do not believe we have been granted the sort of authority that would allow us to force compliance. Of course, I can do it surreptitiously, but we need to winnow down the field of suspects, first; reading everyone in town would be both time-consuming and quite prohibitive in terms of PPE."
A look of disappointment on his face Kidemonas nods. "I guess we have to do this the hard way."
Fernando

Post by Fernando »

For the most part, Fernando simply listens and eats. He seems to be enjoying the cuisine as you spot him cleaning the bones with his startlingly white teeth. He waits to see what the rest have to say.
Dominic Skodati

This whole thing stinks, and it ain't the fish.

It was quaint that the sheriff thought there was no black market here. This places has docks, and where there's docks you can be sure of two things: rats and smugglers.

Well, prostitutes too but they're everywhere.

"Alright let's check out the scene and the pictures then we can try to piece together if and how these things are related."
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Mustaine watches as @Kidemonas takes savage advantage of the bed & breakfast having easy access to an ocean full of fish. "Boy, you can put it way, can't you? Ain't seen anyone eat like that in years, and that was a grackle I knew. Where do you put it?" He blinks a minute as Kid casually mentions being a dragon. He shrugs. Probably just as likely a group like this runs with a dragon. Not much surprises him anymore.

He nods at @Heather Todd and offers the computer to her as he stands up. "It's probably an old timer's sensibility, but you're young, miss. You might want to have someone screen those pics for you. They're..." He shudders again. "Miss, they're brutal. If you're not seared already, save your eyes and your soul." He continues talking as Heather pulls the photos onto her own computer. "Legion guy. Was a dog boy. Said his name was Max. He wasn't in town long. Man on a mission, I could tell."

He begins moving to the door and gestures for you to follow him. "There's not much for law enforcement other than me. I have a couple people who help out, but town response...it's pretty much me. Marina Isbell helped with the pictures. Sam Lucas taped off the scene and pointed out what little evidence we found. Nobody else has the stomach for a murder scene. I can bring them in to talk to you if you want, but everything they know is in those pictures."

Mustaine balks a little at the suggestion of mind reading. He nods as @Gaspard Gillead explains a little bit of both common courtesy of invading someone's mind and the mathematics of energy consumption. "Your friend is right. Unless we get lucky, we have enough folks in town that it would still take a long time to get through them. I know psychics with a big noggin, but even they have limits."

As you arrive at your destination, a small, quaint cottage just a few blocks from the docks, you notice it appears to be boarded up. Temporary signage indicates KEEP OUT in multiple languages. Mustaine pulls a key from his pocket and unlocks the door. "Last warning for anyone who's queasy. We tried to preserve the scene and mask the smell." He opens the door after a pause and allows you in. Inside the living room you see a woman's body sprawled out on the floor. Her head lies a few feet away. The naturally occurring pool of blood, now well dried, coats the space between.
Instructions
If you are in EBA, roll Spirit. It's a grisly scene.
If you are not in EBA, roll Vigor vs. Nausea at -2. Despite their best efforts, 2 days of decay mingled with the salty sea air still stinks.
Conduct an investigation of the crime scene. There are three primary areas of interest based on:
  • Healing / Academics
  • Notice
  • Research
You may either attempt one of the primary tasks or Support them with any skill you can sell me on. (Anything except Gambling, pretty much.) All rolls are at -2 due to decay, contamination of the scene, etc.
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Adriana
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Adriana »

Vigor 5, Spirit 5, Notice 5
Spirit 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5

Vigor 1d6!!: [3] = 3

Notice 1d4!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Wild 1d6+2: [3]+2 = 5
The scent and scene don't seem to bother the cat woman as she sniffs around to see if she can separate out the stink from other scents, keeping her eyes and ears peeled as well.
Last edited by Adriana on Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Adriana Da Silva
Cheatsheet

Bennie's 3/3

Wounds 0/3

Edit Sig
Fernando

Post by Fernando »

OOC Comments

Vigor 1d6!! 1d6!!: [2]+[4] = 6
Fernando walks in and upon seeing the blood everywhere, crosses himself. He stands there for a moment, the scent rolling over his sensitive nostrils. He looks like he is about to say something when suddenly he starts to dry heave. He puts his paw over his mouth and is able to exit the room before ridding his stomach of all of that delicious fish he ate earlier.

A few minutes later he heads back in, eyes watering.
Kidemonas
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kidemonas »

OOC Comments
I suppose Kidemonas respects sentient life - Spirit 1d6!! or Wild 1d6!!: [1]+[3] = 4
Kidemonas sees the grizzly seen and feels shaken. Turning and leaving the room he refuses to go back in, instead looking for clue outside and trying to shake the image. It is one thing to eat a bandit, or a brodkil. But that was a normal kid who did not deserve what fate had chosen for her.
Blackfish
Daniel (Lars)

Post by Blackfish »

Spirit vs Scene 7 and Notice for Investigation 7
Spirit Roll Successful
Spirit 1d8!!+2: [7]+2 = 9 Spirit WD 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7

Notice (just realized it’s at -2… so failure). Failure.
Notice 1d8!!: [4] = 4 Notice WD 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Bennie to redo Notice (just cause)

Bennie 1d8!!-2: [7]-2 = 5 Bennie WD 1d6!!-2: [9!!]-2 = 7
As the others enter the building the tall broad shouldered Ogre waits. About to stoop down and go through the door he backs up quickly recognizing the look on Kidemonas face.

Deciding not to follow him, better to let him have a moment, Blackfish turns back to the door. At 7’ 8” in armor he bends down and walks slowly in. The murder is gross. Unfortunately he’s seen enough death that he simply feels nothing. Then frowns reflecting that feeling nothing is worse than if he had. With a heavy heart Blackfish squats and looks over the scene and body.

He again stays quiet waiting to see how the others on the team, longer term members, will act and react.

Initially not seeing anything of interest the Ogre takes a deep breath (spent a bennie) and closes his eyes. Thinking back to university in Lazlo, Professor Iglam’s Astute Observation class.

“ Observation is a very important part of science. It lets us see the results of an experiment, even if they are not the results we expect. It lets us see unexpected things around us that might stimulate our curiosity, leading to new experiments. Even more important than observation is accurate observation.”

Blackfish opened his eyes and started from the ceiling this time, looking at everything from up to down hopefully to notice something, even the unexpected, this time.
Accounts

Savage Rifts Game Master
    • The Black Company
    • Machinations

Phaseworld GM - Ndreare
Vito
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Vito »

While Vito has seemed like he has an EBA helmet, for some reason he neglects or chooses to not employ it. He looks around and after a deep, bellowing "WHOOF" from his open maw, he quips, Uh, I guess someone really wanted to be sure. This looks like they wanted to send a message.

Vigor 1d8!!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Wild 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Either visual or scent bonus, they are both +2, so a wash
Notice 1d8!!: [6] = 6
Current Bennies 4/3

Gaspard Gillead

OOC Comments
Fear check:
Spirit 1d10!!+1: [2]+1 = 3
Wild Spirit 1d6!!+1: [2]+1 = 3
Well, flark.
Sigh 1d20: [20] = 20

After Discussion in Discord, this is a Nausea Fear Test. Gaspard is Shaken momentarily, then Fatigued, which will affect this roll, but not permanently cripple him with ANOTHER Major Phobia. Hooray!
Research (-2 Scene, -1 Fatigue, +2 Investigator)
Research 1d10!!-1: [7]-1 = 6
Wild Research 1d6!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
A wave of nausea overcomes Gaspard as he views the scene. I haven't seen anything like this since the Edge Killer in the City of Brass. Where that guy got ahold of Jack the Ripper's razor, I'll never know.... okay, head in the game, Constable. This is what you used to do, so do it. The intensity of the queasiness, coupled with his innate sensitivity to the suffering of others, makes it hard for him to concentrate on the scene. Still, he has training and the Method to fall back on.

He is about to enter and begin, when he has a second thought. "You, New Guy--sorry, @Vito. You got cyber-eyes, means you got data-storage, too, right? I want you to take stills of anyplace I point to, keep so we can examine them later if we need to. Start with a full-room shot, from the doorway. And then, another from... " He takes the files they were given, and pulls up the full-room shot from there. "From this spot here." If anything's been moved between the sheriff's first look and now, that's probably worth noting.

And with that, he buries himself in the Method. Step by step, he and Vito go through the room. First to the body by the least disruptive path possible. Photos of the position, then closer shots of the corpse, especially along the severed neck. Rolling the body over, carefully, and getting more shots that way. The head is treated with the same attempted clinical detachment.

Bloodstains are catalogued in similar fashion. Not just the big pool, but also any smaller splatters, especially anything that might indicate if the killer came from the front or from behind.

After that, the rest of the cottage is examined in detail. Drawers are opened, any papers are taken for examination. Bed-linens are pulled aside. Personal objects are opened or otherwise turned over, piece by piece. It's time-consuming, and most of the effort is probably going to be fruitless. But he'd seen too many investigations take too long, with too many sequel crimes resulting from sloppy work. The Method is slow, painstaking and sure, and it would see this through, if he just applied it correctly.
Gaspard Gillead
Seasoned D'Norr Shifter
OOC Comments
Skills:
Gear
Bag of Holding
Vito
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Vito »

Vito is bent over the corpse, gawking at the edges of the cut while idly tracing a finger along one of his several front teeth and twisting his neck slightly at an odd angle. At first, he is startled at being addressed at all, much less in a manner outside his usual role of "team eye candy." A scowl blinks for just a moment on his face before he subdues the thoughts of some obvious ulterior motive behind @Gaspard 's greeting.

Uh, you got it, horny guy, er, sorry I'm no good with names. Comes from all the transfers.

Relaxed, perhaps almost gleefully, the hulking sea creature relatively tromps after the d'norr, occasionally making "kch-zzzz" noises in-between chuffs as he pauses to supply the requested images.

I'll try to not get my thumb in any of these. Uh-heh!
Current Bennies 4/3

Dominic Skodati

I have a healthy sense of self preservation, meaning when I see a dead guy I don't want to be dead too. Always give me the edge I need when looking at a body cause I can ask myself one important question.

"What do I have to do to avoid ending up like this shmuck?

Seeing the grisly scene
Spirit 1d6!! / 1d6!!: [1]+[1] = 2
Fear 1d20: [3] = 3 - Adrenaline Surge: The hero’s “fight” response takes over. He acts as if he had a Joker this action!
. He begins to twitch and look around the room for threats, ignoring the bodies and instead
Notice 1d6!!+2 / 1d6!! +2: [1]+2+[1] = 4
in closets, rooms, and hatches for any threats that may be lurking.

"We sure as hell don't want to end up like that dude."
Kidemonas
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kidemonas »

Seeing nothing of interest outside and not having the stomach for what was inside Kidemonas pretended to make an effort to go in again. "What have you learned? Is there something I should be looking for out here?"
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

The 12th sets about cataloguing the scene and inspecting every inch of the cottage with eyes, ears, and nose. With a full and thorough look-see complete, you've noted that Elsie Burns, the decedent, wore her love and obsession with the sea and its creatures on her sleeve. Literally. She has an inordinate number of tattoos of squids across her body. Peeling away any clothing (while still presumably leaving her dignity intact) reveals more of the same. Curiously, none of the squid tattoos seem to have anything resembling eyes.

The scene itself doesn't look like there was much of a struggle. There are no overturned chairs or upset tables. There are no scattered papers, and as far as you could determine, there doesn't appear to be anything missing. The decapitation itself appears to have been clean. One swipe, no hacking.

Being a businesswoman, Elsie kept a ledger in her workshop. @Gaspard Gillead takes particular interest in this. Going through the revenue, expenses, and her personal outflow, he notes that she appears to be very generous. Most of her net revenue is being given to a single, unnamed individual or account. For as much as she earns, she's barely making her bills, with all excess going to this blank entry. There even appears to be recent sales of personal goods, with those allocations earmarked for the blank entry. Unfortunately, even after combing through everything you can find, you see no indication of who or what the blank entry represents.

As you conclude a few hours later, you exit the cottage to find Mustaine just walking back up. "Y'all missed lunch. It's okay though. I don't think I'd be able to eat after being in there that long. Find anything we didn't?"
He marvels at whatever you might relay to him. "Guess it's a good thing you guys came along. What do you think? Want to tour the other crime scenes? Those have been cleared awhile and they're both buried, but the homes haven't really been touched since. We could start with Toby."
Instructions
In the interest of keeping things moving and compensating for the lack of a couple of key players, the available areas of investigation and their results are posted below. All investigative rolls are at -2. Set one lead investigator per task, and anyone may support as needed.
Occult - success
Toby's home is filled with common reagents and supplies commonly used in ceremonial magic.
Occult - raise
The reagents pertain specifically to ocean-based mysticism
Persuasion - success
Conversations with Toby's neighbors reveal that he had recently been working feverishly for abnormally long hours. He appeared to be very driven when he was once very laid back and personable.
Persuasion - raise
His devotion to his work had become so fervent that he had abandoned all of his long-term friendships and avoided nearly everyone, becoming quite reclusive.
Repair - success
An investigation of Toby's workshop finds a large ship under construction. Most of its critical systems have been installed and are operational.
Repair - raise
The ship is being built to military specifications.
instructions edit
You may support multiple tasks at the appropriate MAP. You may support with any reasonably related skill (does not have to be the same skill as the lead). Failures to support have no negative effect (unless you want to impose one for a Benny). Crit fails will impose a penalty on the lead character.
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Adriana
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Adriana »

Seeing the plethora of eyeless squid, before they leave, Adriana activates Detect Conceal Arcana.

Adriana isn't much of a persuader, she tends to be more the type to growl them into submission, but she tries her best to help those better at it, accomplishing very little really. (Failed to support)

She isn't as knowledgeable as she'd like about magic and things related but she let's the ideas percolate and talks it out with the others. She's a bit more helpful here pointing out a particular detail that was missed. (1 sux)

Repair...uh, what's a wrench? She wisely decides to stand guard instead so that she doesn't break stuff rather than help. However, she picks up a schematic drawing that even to layman's eyes the symbols are clear. (1 sux Notice)

(Generally support)
Dice
Persuasion 1d4!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0

Occult 1d4!!-2: [7!!]-2 = 5
Wild 1d6!!-2: [7!!]-2 = 5

Notice 1d4!!: [7!!] = 7 +2 for mixed form -2 for scene
She does scan the various scenes with detect arcana again.
Adriana Da Silva
Cheatsheet

Bennie's 3/3

Wounds 0/3

Edit Sig
Blackfish
Daniel (Lars)

Post by Blackfish »

Persuasion Assistance
Persuasion 1d4!!-2: [5!!]-2 = 3 Persuasion WD 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0

Occult Assistance
Occult 1d8!!-2: [5]-2 = 3 Occult wd 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1

Repair Assistance (Conjuring needed items)
Spellcasting 1d10!!-2: [6]-2 = 4 Spell WD 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1

1 Success to assist with Repairs

Narrate (Got busy with work sorry. Ill post next time) -Dan
Accounts

Savage Rifts Game Master
    • The Black Company
    • Machinations

Phaseworld GM - Ndreare
Vito
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Vito »

Lead roll on repair (add +1 if field repair kit is applicable)

Repair 1d6!!+3: [3]+3 = 6
Wild 1d6!!+3: [4]+3 = 7
Current Bennies 4/3

Gaspard Gillead

OOC Comments
Persuasion 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Wild Persuasion 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Charismatic Reroll
Persuasion 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
Wild Persuasion 1d6!!: [3] = 3
-1 for Disconnected = 6
Kid (below) grants +2, getting us a Raise.
Gaspard doesn't usually tap into his kin's insidious charm, as he rarely has any interest in normal conversation. But sometimes, you have to use the tools you've been given, even if they're a bit rusty. So he begins talking to the friends and neighbors of Toby, the first victim.

With Kidemonas running interference on potential distractions, Gaspard is able to get a decent picture of the victim. He reports his findings to the others.

"Okay, so Toby used to be laid-back, casual--not necessarily lazy, but happy to earn enough to live and still take time to enjoy life. But lately he's been working up a storm, even isolating himself from his friends to spend more time working." He taps the business books they took from the third victim, Elsie. "Combined, this suggests both victims were looking for money, kind of urgently. Still too early to jump to conclusions, but I wouldn't put loan sharking--no offense, Vito--out of the picture."
Gaspard Gillead
Seasoned D'Norr Shifter
OOC Comments
Skills:
Gear
Bag of Holding
Kidemonas
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kidemonas »

Speaking with the neighbors sounded like an excellent idea to Kidemonas. When @Gaspard Gillead heads out Kid follows him, letting himself change into his smaller more frail human form. Kidemonas focuses his attention on making sure that distractions are taken care of as Gaspard does his work. If someone comes to interrupt the conversation Kid intercepts them, trying to help solve those problems. When a toddler begins crying for attention kid simply plops to his knees and begins drawing on the ground to play with the child calming it.

Support Gaspard +2!
Support Gaspard with Notice 1d4!! or Wild 1d6!! with +2 to highest: [2]+[10!!] = 12
Vito
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Vito »

Uh, thanks. I'm not sure I get the reference, though. We've always been extremely fair...good rate...generous time tables. I mean there are an unfortunate few that...oh I get it now. (CHUFF)
Gaspard Gillead wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:40 am "Combined, this suggests both victims were looking for money, kind of urgently. Still too early to jump to conclusions, but I wouldn't put loan sharking--no offense, Vito--out of the picture."
Current Bennies 4/3

Dominic Skodati

Unable to find anything useful in his hurried search Dom looks and listens to what the others found out. The tattoos hold interest to him. Obsessions like that usually meant something. So did the decapitation. Cutting off someone's head was a peculiar act, done to keep them dead or send a message. For now however, the message, and those intended to receive it elude him.

Heading to Toby's house Dom start trying to put the pieces together. Heather hadns off her field computer for some fast researching,and Dom thanks her with a sly grin. As she takes off to do psychic readings he opens the computer and temporarily forgets the assignment as he trolls through her personal files, especially the camera roll. Distracted and embarrassed he leaps up as she comes back into the room knocking over some containers on the counter...spilling out some magical reagents.

Holding them up he grins, "Looks like Toby had his hand in the cookie jar."
Occult (distracted -2) = 2
Occult 1d8!! / 1d6!!: [4]+[1] = 5
Benny Occult 1d8!! / 1d6!!: [3]+[2] = 5
Benny Occult 1d8!! / 1d6!!: [4]+[1] = 5
Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Roll Notice 1d8!! 1d6!!: [6]+[3] = 9

Benny 1d8!! 1d6!!: [9!!]+[2] = 11

After composing himself, Fernando comes back in. He notices @Dominic Skodati looking about, and being a curious type, decides to help. Dominic must have found some valuable information in the laptop. He's about to ask what was found when he hears it, a gentle rustling noise. He uses his sensitive ears to locate the source of the noise, a large burlap bag. He peeks inside and hisses instinctively.

"A snake. The kind they use for black magic, I think."
He casually tosses the bag to Dominic. "Have a look."
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

After finding some suspicious things at Toby Mitchell's, Mustaine pops back from handling town business to check on the 12th. "Yeah, now that you mention it, I guess I hadn't seen Toby around as much. I don't get into what people do for work as long as it's legitimate, but it does seem strange that he's building that kind of ship." He takes a bite of a piece of jerky, then suggests a next course of action. "Marley Blackwell's the last victim. Worst one, actually." He points at @Heather Todd's computer. "The pictures should be on there. Follow me."
Notice at -4
As you follow Mustaine towards the final crime scene, you're pretty sure you see someone watching you from between the various houses and buildings as you go. As soon as you turn to investigate, who or whatever it was bolts into the crowds and disappears.
You arrive at the home of Marley Blackwell. The house is notably larger and nicer than the surrounding buildings. Like the crack team of investigators you are, you immediately set to determining what happened here.
Instructions
As before, there are 3 main areas of investigation. Declare a lead investigator for either one of the skills shown and the others may support with any other skill you can sell me on.
Notice or Thievery
Taking a close look at the home and its security systems, you see no signs of forced entry. Whoever killed Marley had access or was granted entry.
Raise
Marley was killed with a small, stabbing-style blade. He was stabbed several times and very slowly. The blade isn't powered. He suffered.
Occult or Arcane Skill
Marley was killed as part of a ritual. It doesn't take much sleuthing to figure out that this was an evil ritual.
Raise
The ritual is trying to gain power and favor from a specific dark supernatural entity.
Persuasion or Research
All three of Marley Blackwell's children have gone missing.
Raise
Word around town is that the last one seen in town and alive was Hillary Blackwell. She was last seen around a week ago.
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Kidemonas
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kidemonas »

Notice 1d4!! or Wild 1d6!! with -2 to the Highest: [2]+[5] = 7
Support with Persuasion 1d4!! or Wild 1d6!!: [2]+[3] = 5

Narative justification for failure will be shape change running out.

Kidemonas heads out with the team to the new site, unfortunatly he had spent to long locked in his small mortal form and was growing tired. Having to revert to his true form he makes sure there is no one at risk near them before finally letting out. As he walks and tries to engage in conversation with people he finds they are too easily scared of him. But disguising himself as mortal again so soon was beyond him. Perhaps he should work on that...
Adriana
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Adriana »

Notice 6, Spellcasting 5
Notice 1d4!!-2: [6!!]-2 = 4 Notice+2-4
Wild Notice 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1

Spellcasting 1d8!!: [2] = 2
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Benny
Spell reroll 1d8!!: [5] = 5
Wild reroll 1d6!!: [1] = 1
She notices the person but can't catch who. That they are being watched doesn't seem particularly strange to her. She studies the scene. It takes a moment but then she hrmps. "Was ritual kill. Not just random."
Adriana Da Silva
Cheatsheet

Bennie's 3/3

Wounds 0/3

Edit Sig
Vito
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Vito »

Well I ain't too keen on computahs but my brother had one o those where you dial up a service and they show up an'...uh, well lemme take a crack at this...

Notice 1d8!!-2: [19!!]-2 = 17
Wild 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3

Research 1d4!!: [10!!] = 10
Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2

Current Bennies 4/3

Gaspard Gillead

OOC Comments
Notice the Spy 1d6!!-4: [5]-4 = 1
Wild Notice 1d6!!-4: [13!!]-4 = 9
Raise

Investigation Notice 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
Wild Notice 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
Need +1 for the Raise....
Gaspard looks around, frowning. "He either knew the killer and let them in, or we've got a freakin' ghost. This security system would've gone off if anyone tried to break in." He shakes his head. "There's something else, here, too. I just can't put my finger on it...."
Gaspard Gillead
Seasoned D'Norr Shifter
OOC Comments
Skills:
Gear
Bag of Holding
Dominic Skodati

Of course the rich guy was into the dark arts...

Occult 1d8!! / 1d6!!: [1]+[4] = 5
Benny Occult 1d8!! / 1d6!!: [4]+[4] = 8
, Dom easily spots a ritual but the nature of it is a bit beyond him. Gaspard was more the evil ritual type but he seems busy looking at other stuff.

Shrugging Dom pipes up, "This is different then the executions we saw earlier. In the Hand I saw some bad stuff when the real crazy guys wanted some extra magical juice. Kind of like this."
Kidemonas
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kidemonas »

"Does that mean there is more than one killer? Maybe someone set up some fake kills to hide his real pray like in the Murder she Wrote with Angela Lansberry videos?"
Blackfish
Daniel (Lars)

Post by Blackfish »

Notice at -4: N 1d8!!-4: [7]-4 = 3 N W 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0 Not aware being watched.

Occult 1d8!!: [1] = 1 1d6!!: [13!!] = 13
Marley was killed as part of a ritual. It doesn't take much sleuthing to figure out that this was an evil ritual.

The ritual is trying to gain power and favor from a specific dark supernatural entity.

Thievery T 1d6!!: [3] = 3 T W 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Whoever killed Marley had access or was granted entry.
Dominic Skodati wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:21 am Shrugging Dom pipes up, "This is different then the executions we saw earlier. In the Hand I saw some bad stuff when the real crazy guys wanted some extra magical juice. Kind of like this."
The Ogre had stayed quite up till now. After Dom talks Blackfish nods and says: ”The ritual is trying to gain power and favor from a specific dark supernatural entity. Sick shi..stuff.”
Accounts

Savage Rifts Game Master
    • The Black Company
    • Machinations

Phaseworld GM - Ndreare
Adriana
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Adriana »

Kidemonas wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:22 am "Does that mean there is more than one killer? Maybe someone set up some fake kills to hide his real pray like in the Murder she Wrote with Angela Lansberry videos?"
Adriana looks at Kid in confusion. She has no idea what he is talking about. But then she shrugs. Fake kills to hide real intent was the gist of what he was saying. She understood that part. "Could be."

Her gaze moves to the ogre when he speaks. "Know which?" she asks. He had obviously recognized something she hadn't. Maybe he had seen this before.
Adriana Da Silva
Cheatsheet

Bennie's 3/3

Wounds 0/3

Edit Sig
Kidemonas
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kidemonas »

When @Adriana agree with the possibility of Kidemonas being right he swells a little bit. Having felt useless on the mission the boost to his ego helped sooth some of his adolescent insecurities.

Return to “12 AAT Adventure Forum”