1.) Asset Recovery

Adventures
Post Reply
User avatar
Daniel
Daniel (Lars)
Posts: 2134
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Former Alias (GM name) was Lars (2016-2022)

1.) Asset Recovery

Post by Daniel »


New Cedarville, Manistique Imperium
November 24th, 109 P.A.

The Tomorrow Legion has come into possession of an enigmatic piece of hardware: the partial head and torso of a powerful combat robot of unknown origin.

Your job is to catch up to them. Take the machine from them.

Argent Goodson doesn’t care if you kill or incapacitate the Legion. Just make sure a few, or all, live. Destroy the vehicle he gave them, steal the cargo and leave a storage unit nearby for them to find.

Mission Priority:
  1. Steal the cargo.
  2. Destroy the APC.
  3. Leave the storage unit for Legion to find.


Afterwards get the stolen cargo to New Medora.



In twenty minutes Colonel Val arrives and hands Sparky a data pad. She wish’s the group luck, tells you to not lose the Communicator and urges you to head out ASAP. You’ll be compensated for expenses once in New Medora.

———

Image
Image
Titan Robotics Hardened Holo-Display Communicator: Capable of sending and receiving a small, doll-sized holographic image, or displayed on screen, this rare and expensive system is also useful for creating 3D images of maps, diagrams, blueprints, and whatever else the user might wish to input for display. With storage memory and screen keypad it can be used as a computer also. Outwardly its basic black hardened frame has only one marking on it. TRSF is engraved on its backside. There are no noticeable ways to open the device if it needed repair or upgrades. Has a sling if one wanted to wear it like a purse. The communication system itself has a 400 mile range (2 lb). Additional Special Features known only to Game Master.

Code: Select all

[b]Titan Robotics Hardened Holo-Display Communicator[/b]:[i] Capable of sending and receiving a small, doll-sized holographic image, or displayed on screen, this rare and expensive system is also useful for creating 3D images of maps, diagrams, blueprints, and whatever else the user might wish to input for display. With storage memory and screen keypad it can be used as a computer also. Outwardly its basic black hardened frame has only one marking on it. TRSF is engraved on its backside. There are no noticeable ways to open the device if it needed repair or upgrades. Has a sling if one wanted to wear it like a purse. The communication system itself has a 400 mile range (2 lb). Additional Special Features known only to Game Master. [/i]


———

The Communicator beeps and a holo display of Val appears. It states:

”The Tomorrow Legion has come into possession of an enigmatic piece of hardware: the partial head and torso of a powerful combat robot of unknown origin. Second-hand reports to the Legion tell of a supposed encounter that suggests the high-tech automaton belongs to a much larger legion of automatons.

The TL is worried about a new threat and has one of their SET teams taking the hardware to an expert to study it to determine whether it is of Rifts Earth construction or from somewhere else in the vast Megaverse.

Top Chief Elle of Owls has assigned a team of Legionnaires to safeguard the package while transporting it to one of the most experienced robotics experts in North America for analysis.

On their way the Legionnaires stopped by New Cedarville this morning.

The Legionnaires asked Argent Goodson to inspect the machine and tell them if he could determine anything about it. The Titan CEO did a thorough investigation. Once finished, he informed the Legionnaires the automaton is most definitely of extra-dimensional origin and offered to purchase the artifact for the sum of five million credits.

They refused.

Instead they headed off towards Old Bones, in old Michigan. In a gifted APC Goodson gave them as a way of supporting the Legion, whom we generally get along with. Obviously the Legion members excepted the vehicle and happily went on their way towards Old Bones. … obviously.

Anyway, the APC has a tracking device in it. This Communicator not only lets me talk to you, it will track the SET.

Your job is to catch up to them. Take the machine from them.

Argent Goodson doesn’t care if you kill or incapacitate the Legion. Just make sure a few or all live and destroy the vehicle he gave them, steal the cargo and leave a storage unit nearby for them to find.

Priority one. Steal the cargo. Priority two have them find the storage unit.

Afterwards get the stolen cargo to New Medora. Where I’ll meet you and we will get on with your new jobs.

There is a vehicle here for you to utilize on this mission. The Communicator will display its location and access codes. In the vehicle is the storage unit you’ll be dropping off. The vehicle can also carry the stolen machine.

Good luck!”


———

With that the Communicator holo displays where the vehicle it, about 400 feet away from you.

The vehicle. See Supplies Forum here: https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=82462#p82462

Once assembled at the vehicle (I assume you’ll be traveling with this A. Mammoth vehicle, B. gnome power armor and C. Stompy) you can head out after the TL SET.

———

Moving Out

With the ATV loaded (storage unit and some general gear like provisions) the team is free to move out towards Old Bones and after the SET. Travel through the Manistique Imperium and Northern Gun is a breeze, they have a fully functioning highway system and frequent patrols by well armed mercenaries. In some ways Northern Gun is more secure than any Coalition State. However, once past the border zone the highways disappear and the terrain becomes dense woodlands as you head south towards Old Bones. CS aircraft occasionally fly overhead but you know, unlike the patrols in Northern Gun, any contact between you and the CS will not likely go well. Roving herds if wild animals both native and not native to Earth may be in the woods.

Roles
  • Navigator (-2 due to forests):
  • Lookout:
  • Pilot (-2 due to forests):
  • Scout:
Travel Time: Once you are in the forest, you can cover about 9 miles in six hours. You can push on for longer but will suffer fatigue penalties. The Mammoth has sleeping space so shifts are also possible if you want to do two shifts to avoid Fatigue. Although Vehicle Fatigue will still apply (Driving roll, -1 for each six hours past the first).

The Communicator doesn’t help with Navigation but does a good job of showing the progress and location of the SET. They have, according to Val, the same type of vehicle, a Mammoth. It looks like they are approximately two hours ahead of you at any given point.

You’re traveling south through dense forests towards Milwaukee and eventually the ruins of old Chicago (Old Bones). Not quite technically CS area yet but they patrol it. Lake Michigan is to your east and occasionally you can see it. The weather is cold but not freezing. There is a few inches of snow but not enough to hamper the Mammoth. You enter the forest around noon.

Will you trail the SET and handle them in Old Bones or overtake them and encounter them before they get to Old Bones. FYI the SET won’t stop for tests and will push on until they arrive. So post roles and develop your plan in character. This first post will cover the first six hours.

Map of Trip
Planned Route
Planned Route
Agents of Titan (AoT) Robotics Industries
• Jim - Sparkmort Zipwidget: Male Tinker Gnome Power Armor Ace
• Derrick - Caiden: Male Human, Momano Headhunter
• Steve (Hans) - Berk: Male Simvan Psi-Druid Monster Tamer/Rider
• Murp - Rupetta Martin: Female Human MARS Merc Soldier (X-CS)
• Freemage - Lance: Male Dog Boy Techno-Warrior (Cyber[netic] Knight)
• Tharmander - Rava: Female Human Shifter

My Accounts:
Active
  • Daniel - Admin/GM of AoT
  • Jackal - IC (Neural Intelligence) - 7th SET
  • Vi - Space Pirate - Stars Without Numbers
  • Burn - Mega Juicer - Juicer Uprising

Not Active
  • Hondo - Wild Psi Stalker Psi Slinger
  • Blackfish - Ogre Combat Mage
  • Setrakian - Dragon Juicer
  • Henry - CS Commando
  • Zero

NPC Accounts
  • Lord Coake - NPC
  • Valentine - NPC
  • Erin Tarn - NPC
  • James T - NPC
  • Hagen Lonovich - NPC

User avatar
Berk
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:15 pm

Re: 1.) Asset Recovery

Post by Berk »

Stompy Assisting with Survival
  • Survival: 1d6!!-2!!: [5]-2 = 3
    Wild: 1d6!!-2!!: [5]-2 = 3
    Result: 3 - Fail. No Help.
Berk Navigating using Survival (-2 due Forests, +2 due Woodsman, +1 Survival (navigation) due Compass... so +1)
  • Survival: 1d10!!: [6] = 6 +1
    Wild: 1d6!!: [4] = 4 +1
    Result: 7 - Success. The party is headed in the right direction, no extra effect.


"Time to get moving. Stompy and I will clear the path where needed. I say we push on and overtake them. Best not to mess with whoever they want to meet with in Old Bones."
Toughness: 15 (6)
ISP: 28/45
Pace: 5 (d4)
Parry: 4

Bennies: 3 / 3
  • Base
Wounds: None
Fatigue: None
User avatar
Rupetta
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:43 pm

Re: 1.) Asset Recovery

Post by Rupetta »


+2 due to STS bonus, +1 from Berks raise on Navigator
Raise (8)
Notice 1d6!+2: [5]+2 = 7 +1=8
Wild Die 1d6!+2: [2]+2 = 4 +1=5


The biting cold hit Rupetta in the face the moment she left the building with their hours notice assignment. She decided quickly then and there that she wasn’t going to stand around in the open air compartment at the rear of the massive APC they had been assigned.

They could have scheduled the meeting for earlier in the day if there was such a rush to get going. Buncha pricks doing power moves to show us who runs the show. Rupetta thought to herself with a scowl as she tossed her bags into the storage area of the crew compartment. Noting the associates of hers who made similar decisions based on their mounts / vehicles or lack thereof.

It was an easy choice for Rupetta to make a beeline for the Communications Officers chair. Using the STS was a big responsibility after all, and good examples were set when one eagerly took on the most difficult tasks without hesitation. But more importantly, it looked as though that spot had the cushiest chair of the lot. Such things would be absolutely wasted on those among their group that had metal butts... Which seemed to be everyone but her for some reason. Well everyone inside the APC anyway.

The first part of the journey in the land of protected infrastructure had been fairly easy of course, but that had never been a concern of theirs really. Save for the biting cold weather making an annoyance of itself, though that was thankfully abated by the heated compartments they had all found themselves having the luxury of. Everyone except for one certain individual that is...

Rupetta flipped up an overhead switch, where next to it a yellow ON AIR light came to life, indicating that the attached loudspeaker had been engaged. Without hesitation she reached for a corded microphone and pressed down the keying switch on the side as she gazed into the tanks sensor system.

”Alright ladies, listen up. We’ve got an emergency situation taking place to our nine right now. I repeat we have an emergency situation.” Came the ultra loud blast of the static filled over modulated sound from the PA system. “Holy fuck, who configured the gain on this thing? I sound like I’m one of the bots that got sent with us doing their little squeaky noises. Whatever, anyway we got ourselves a concerning situation that needs addressing ASAP.”

There was a small pause as Rupetta tried her best to fumble with the setting knobs on the top panel, somehow in the process making it worse instead of better before she eventually gave up and continued. ”It’s come to my attention that Berk is riding pretty outside right now and is probably suffering from some major shrinkage due to the cold weather. Like some serious shrink-a-dink that’s going to need to be dealt with. Make sure you take a break and warm up when you get the chance so you don’t lose your will to live on the first mission. Good luck out there!” Came the end of the transmission. The act possibly drawing strange stares from those within the cabin with her.

Once they had hit difficult terrain, the real fun began. It was easy enough to stare at the STS and look for unusual targets and obstacles making in their path, but another to have the mental fortitude to do so for mind numbing hours on end without missing something of importance. All things considered however, she seemed to do an okay job of it all.

Switching the PA over to internal communications, Rupetta signalled the separate cockpit that the driver sat, doing what she could to distract herself from the boredom and potentially one of her companions as well.

”Hey Moe, how goes the driving? You ready to blow your brains out with that gun looking thing attached to your hand yet? Whats up with that anyway?” The mystery over whether Caiden was mistakenly considered “Moe” in the ex-soldiers eyes having been solved at the very least.

”I’ve been thinking a bit on things. I get that they didn’t want to just kill the legionaries then and there so they could maintain plausible deniability when they get ambushed by bandits in an APC as big as theirs. And I can maybe see the sense in giving them a vehicle worth easy 6 times what they offered them for the dead robot, only to have it be a potential sacrificial lamb when it gets caught in the crossfire... But there’s one thing I don’t get outta all of this that’s really bugging me...”

There was another pause as Rupetta gathered her thoughts and to fully let the next part sink in. ”What I don’t get is, why do they have a full speed Mammoth, while we got a piece of shit that evidently has a governor installed on the damn thing? I’m pretty sure they could have given us the good one and given the Legion the one that acts like my grandpa on his way to take his prune juice. Seriously, I think I saw Stompy pause to take a dump earlier and he already caught up without putting any effort into it.

The inane chattering filled the drivers compartment before it was finally finished off with a ”But seriously, doing a good job there keep it up. Watch the crevice at your twelve coming up, shift right to circumvent.”
Last edited by Rupetta on Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Savage Rifts Player Characters:
User avatar
Lance
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:25 pm

Re: 1.) Asset Recovery

Post by Lance »

OOC Comments
Will be rolling Riding for Pilot and Survival for Navigator Support (MAP -2)
Both rolls have a Scene Penalty of -2
Net Skill rolls: Riding 1d12-2, Survival 1d6-1 (using compass from NG-S2)

Riding 1d12!!-2: [6]-2 = 4
Wild Riding 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Forgot Handling +2, net 6.

Survival Support 1d6!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
Wild Survival 1d6!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Benny
Survival Reroll 1d6!!-1: [5]-1 = 4
Wild Survival 1d6!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
+1 to Navigator roll.

Lance's enthusiasm for action is increasingly muted as the mission briefing goes on. By the time it is over, the muscled shoulders are visibly drooping.

As they get ready to roll out, he addresses his companions. "My new friends, I haveth sworneth an oath of allegiance, and I willeth performeth mine duties as directed. But I musteth also be-eth true to mine soul. To killeth innocents, even in a case of necessity, is unthinkable. I willeth only strike to subdueth these legionnaires, not to killeth them, and I musteth insisteth that you all doeth likewise. We are-eth soldiers, not assassins or murderous hobos."

The deluded 'knight' does not wait for a response, though he listens if anyone gives him one.

Upon loading out, he opts to ride Steed, which is almost as fast as the Mammoth when on the highway, and actually faster in spots once they enter the woodlands, since the robot mount is considerably more nimble.

Curiously, the DogBoy also seems quite able to help Berk find the way through the woods--he seems to have been through this general area at some point, and with the help of a compass he keeps under his tabard, is able to find his way readily.
IGNORE ME
Notice 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Lance
OOC Comments
Dog-Boy Techno-Warrior
Agility d10, Smarts d6, Spirit d10, Strength d12, Vigor d8
Charisma: 0 (but effectively +2); Parry: 7; Toughness: 18 (8) or Ranged 22 (12)
Fighting d12+6, Shooting d8, Riding d12+1, Notice d4+2 (+4 Scent/Vision), Repair d4, Tracking d6+4, Streetwise d6+2, Persuasion d6+2, Survival d4+4, K: Politics d8
Edges: Danger Sense, Beast Master, Nerves of Steel, Quick, Improvisational Fighter, Trademark Weapon (Drill), Imp. Counterattack
Hindrances: Code of Honor, Minor Delusion (Knighthood), Quirk (Faux-Courtly Speech), Outsider
Preferred Attacks:
  • Primary Attack: Drill, Fighting d12+6, Strength (d12) + 2d6 MD, AP 10, Reach 1 (if needed)
    Mounted Attack: Drill, Mounted Lance Mode, Fighting d12+6, Strength (d12) +2d6, AP 12, Reach 2
    Hard Target: Drill, Fighting d12+6, Strength (d12) +2d6 MD, Ignores Armor (Full Round Action, only vs. Vehicles/RA/Inanimate objects)
    Ranged Attack: Shooting d8, Portable Rocket Launcher (5d6 AP 6 SBT) or JA-9 Variable Rifle (3d6+1 AP 3)
Cybernetics (12/14 Strain):
  • EDS, Optics Package, Core Electronics Package, Wilderness Scout Package, x2 Wired Skill Ports (4-step Fighting, Riding), HtH Reaction Wiring, Reinforced Frame, Cy-Wi Reflexes, Drill
Bennies: 3/3
  • Q2/19 Adventure Cards:
    Cutting In Line Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.
    Inspiration Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.
“Steed” (Heavy Warhorse with Cybernetics)
[list] Agility 6; Smarts d4 (A); Spirit d6; Strength d12+2; Vigor d10
[*]Fighting d8; Notice d6
[*]Pace 10/d10; Parry 6; Toughness 22 (12 MDC)
[*]Size +3
[*]Kick: Strength +2d6 MD [/list]
User avatar
Sparkmort Zipwidget
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:34 pm

Re: 1.) Asset Recovery

Post by Sparkmort Zipwidget »

Sparkmort stands in the bed of the Mammoth, gauntlets firmly gripping handholds as the huge vehicle lurched beneath him. Inside his armor he doesn't even notice the weather outside though he keeps an eye on his sensors just in case.


Electronics d8!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Wild Die d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Sparkmort Zipwidget
Player: Jim
Active Alts: Dorn Giantslayer
User avatar
Caiden
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:00 pm

Re: 1.) Asset Recovery

Post by Caiden »

Caiden grumbles a little bit about not having time to get well acquainted with their new ride or even for a propper pre-trip checklist. He still takes the time to circle the mammoth to take note of any obvious damage. Despite the cold, he even makes everyone wait as he checks the engine compartment and tries his best to peek underneath the vehicle. There's not much clearance for a big fellow like him, unfortunately.

The affable momano listens to the unusal dog boy, Lance, and nods his head in agreement, "Some of you folks might not be familiar with the Legion, but they're good people. Probably some bad eggs in the bunch, but there always are in any group. Anyhow, my people have worked with them before to mutual benefit. I haven't, but I'm still not willing to put them down, either. This mission is a heist, so there's really no need to go lethal unless we're backed into a corner and have no way out."

Satisfied that nothing is too out of the ordinary, Caiden climbs into the mammoth and claims the driver's seat. No one else seems to want the job and he's perfectly capable. He fires the old girl up and goes through some more checks, possibly to everyone's dismay. There's a propper way to do things and breaking down in the ass end of nowhere isn't on the schedule over an avoidable mechanical issue.

"Alright, folks, listen up. This is your driver Caiden speaking," Caiden says over the radio, "There's one very important rule that everyone needs to understand, whether you know it yet or not. Driver controls the tunes and that's non-negotiable. I am a generous driver, though, so you each get an hour of whatever you want. Work it out amongst yourselves or we'll be listening to grackletooth yodeling until our ears bleed."

He gives it a minute to make sure everyone understands the rule then continues, "Second rule. I'd like to ask our escorts to monitor channel three and for everyone else to keep it clear of chatter. We'll use three for operational communications. Otherwise, chat with whoever you want."

"That's about it. Hold on to your butts, keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times," Caiden begins wrapping it up then pauses, sighs and for good measure cautions against prior experiences, "Oh, and please avoid shooting, chewing, stabbing, beating, shaking, headbutting, relieving yourself upon, or otherwise damaging anything critical in whatever ways you can come up with. These rustbuckets are meant to take on the world, but they can be surprisingly fragile."

Things go pretty well along the roadways, but a dumb bot couldn't mess that portion of the trip up.
Piloting (-2 Scene ignored by ATV): 4 (Success)
Driving 1d8!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!: [4] = 4
when the highway ends, but that's why Caiden is in the driver's seat and not a dumb bot. Overall, it's nothing he can't handle.

Caiden shakes his head and chuckles a little at Rupie's brazen sense of humor. It's good that she's trying to get along, but she also makes a good point, so he chimes in too, "Berk, if you or Stompy are suffering out there or need anything let us know. We'll see what we can do. That goes for you too, Lance. Might not be much we can do for Stompy, but one of us probably has some EBA that will fit Berk or Lance and we should be able rig something together if not."

When she addresses him, Caiden smiles and responds, "Another day another journey. Its just another part of the job. This time it's for Titan."

When she asks about his weaponry he responds without hesitation, "You know how those CS types hate magic and techno-wizardry? Well, have you ever wished you had silver ammo while fighting Demons? Or maybe access sunlight and fire at night during a torrential thunderstorm when ambushed by vampires? My energy projector fires most any type of projectile I need when I need it as long as I have the mental fortitude to keep shunting it power. The other one shoves stakes into hearts. Or wherever else I want them. Same thing, I can make the stakes burn or turn them silver."

Caiden patiently listens to her ramble on. It really isn't a bother to him. The momanos keep strange company within their own sect. He's suffered through longer journies with much worse company.

He answers Rupie once again, "Why did we get the rust bucket? Well, who do you think Titan wants to impress more? The people they're paying or the people paying them? Anyhow, thanks for the heads up and buzz me again if you get bored."
User avatar
Daniel
Daniel (Lars)
Posts: 2134
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Former Alias (GM name) was Lars (2016-2022)

Re: 1.) Asset Recovery

Post by Daniel »



The Freelands of Wisconsin.
November 24th, 109 P.A.

The Tomorrow Legion has come into possession of an enigmatic piece of hardware: the partial head and torso of a powerful combat robot of unknown origin.

Your job is to catch up to them. Take the machine from them.

Argent Goodson doesn’t care if you kill or incapacitate the Legion. Just make sure a few, or all, live. Destroy the vehicle he gave them, steal the cargo and leave a storage unit nearby for them to find.

Mission Priority:
  1. Steal the cargo.
  2. Destroy the APC.
  3. Leave the storage unit for Legion to find.


Afterwards get the stolen cargo to New Medora (N. Dakota).



Based on the rolls and your narrative from your previous posts the following events occur.

Your trip deeper into the Freelands has an air of anticipation lingering in the air. Vast swaths of vegetation and dense forest, layered with a dusting of snow, are interrupted by massive stadium sized craters of destruction. It’s known that the Coalition States of Illinois (Chi Town) frequently carpet bombs the state of Wisconsin. A land war or constant patrols of the Freelands is an impossible task for even the might of the CS. In the Freelands (an ironic and still valid name) one will not run across any CS soldiers or their brutal sense of justice. As long as one hunkers down and takes cover when they fly high overhead and drop bombs, it’s quite lovely in Wisconsin.

Well, other than the ongoing Ley Line Wars. When a powerful individual (human or not, often not) or group claims a Ley Line or Nexus exclusively for themselves, they must be able to hold onto to it when their claim is challenged. Like the "range wars" of the Old West, two rival factions or individuals may fight over ownership and control of a particular Ley Line. The two factions can be practitioners of magic vs other practitioners of magic, or humans vs a dragon or monsters, or whatever. Both Ley Line wars can last days, months or years, and sometime turn into lasting rivalries or vendettas.

Ley Line communities are groups, cults, brotherhoods, towns or cities who build their community on one or more Ley Lines. Tolkeen and Lazlo are classic examples of this, as are many of the communities in the Magic Zone.

As you follow the tracker in the Legion’s Mammoth southbound, you can see Lake Michigan through the trees, roughly half a mile to your east. The trip parallels Old Highway 94, as you head closer to the ruins of Milwaukee. Several old golden age signs have been set back up saying how close one is to the old metropolis. Rumors abound about old Milwaukee. A frequent target of the CS carpet bombs it’s said many factions have found a way to not only survive there, but thrive utilizing the several Nexus in the destroyed city. A recent sign, if it is to be believed, puts you roughly ten miles north of the city. The impressive hub of Ley Lines in the area tricks the eye.

It is night. Dark. Late evening, the cold forest layered with snow chills even more as the sun sets.

However, the amount of Ley Lines and Nexus causes a glow that casts the entire landscape in an eerie light, enough one could forget the sun has set. Unless one looked upwards at the dark night sky. There are no stars visible due to heavy clouds that paint the sky in shades of grey. It’s cold enough to snow tonight and likely will.

As the Agents progress south, closer to Milwaukee, signs of a fire fight become apparent ahead.

First Rupetta, then Berk notice the path they are navigating and watching for signs of trouble - indeed shows signs of trouble.

Lance and Sparky note the slowing Simvan on the large beast. Seeing him react they too pick up signs of trouble.

Caiden can tell by Rupetta’s sudden shift in tone, something is up.

Coming to a complete halt, APC, beast, power armor and robot horse remain in place. Silence, only broken by an occasional far of woodland noise. Presumably animal or such, the almost deafening silence allows you to even just barely hear the soft water of the lake.

Looking about the aAgents see that the further they go south on this trail, forged by the Leguon APC , the more debris there is.

At first it looks old. Either those caught out in the open during a CS bombing. Or from one of the many dangers in the area, but cold and forgotten now. Then something more. Roughly a hundred feet ahead, a light smoking. Debris. Several trees cut down from high tech weaponry or blasts of magic.

Then you see it. Covered hastily by branches and other detritus, the remains of the Legion Mammoth. Two thirds of the large vehicle just gone. Obliterated. Smoke lingers lazily upward from the blasted in and slagged driver’s compartment.

Checking the Titan Robotics Hardened Holo-Display Communicator shows the “bug’s” signal is two miles south east of you, right on the banks of Lake Michigan.

It’s stopped at that location. Stationary now for about ten minutes.

(Note: searching the remains of the Mammoth and the area nets no loot or real clues of value. Something blew up the Mammoth and killed the members of the Legion. A few body parts and a Legion patch are found. The cargo you seek was removed from the APC and is now located by the Great Lake).

However you decide to approach, on foot or continue riding/driving/piloting closer to the tracker you make your way through the trees until you see those with the tracker.

Located on the shore of the lake are six individuals. One’s obviously a dwarf of some kind. Dressed in high tech armor and bearing an energy rifle and a axe that has symbols carved into it, he appears to be in command. The other five look like mercenaries or, pirates? They definitely have a pirate-y vibe. The others are similarly dressed in weapons and gear. Three humans and two D-Bee lizard like fellows. Two other individuals are tied up and sitting with their backs to the cargo you came for. Looking quite beaten and bruised, both prisoners are likely Legion SET members. One, a human male with wild orange-red hair is passed out, gaged. The second is a D-Bee female Quick-Flex alien. She look’s barely conscious and in a similar state as the red head man. Weaponless and unarmored, the two still give off “we are Legion” vibes.

Common Knowledge Roll
Fail - they are pirates? Who knows. They have your objective sitting in the sand, looking like they’re waiting to be picked up.

Success - Oh. You’re heard of a group called The Nuhr Dwarves who engage in piracy in the Great Lakes. Based solely on the dwarf leader, maybe these guys, who have the “alien tech” in their possession are The Nuhr Dwarves, or working for them.

Raise - Same info as Success and you recall that the Nuhr are known for wielding magic weapons. It’s said they only have one warship, an enchanted Nuhr ironclad ship called The Mauler. This vessel is one of the most powerful afloat on the Great Lakes and is feared through­ out the eastern lakes and the Atlantic coast. Said ship is likely in route to pick these marauders up. If said ship arrives, you stand no chance at fighting them off.


What you see.

Six pirate mercenaries gathered on the bank of Lake Michigan. They are centered on the cargo you were sent to retrieve. Two prisoners next to the cargo you came for. There may or may not be lookouts in the surrounding area.

How will you handle this? Aka.: Quick Combat.

You might have the advantage is so far as you have the Drop on these pirates, and you are sporting some solid gear and weapons, however these lot are no easy targets. The dwarf is experienced and has magic (his axe and he is a Ley Line Walker). The other pirates (you have agency to describe their abilities and classes) are also Seasoned fighters.

You need 6 tokens to win the battle against these pirates. You are at +2 on all rolls from having the “drop” on them however the difficulty of the battle is -2. (Lack of cover, their experience and your need to recover the cargo intact).

So even rolls.

Based on your token count in this first “round” of posts, I’ll respond with next GM post. Tell your story and have fun with it.

PPE and ISP — don’t worry about it. You’ll regain the power points before next encounter.

Support Rolls
[Success grants the ally +1 to one skill total this round, and a raise adds +2. A Critical Failure on the support roll subtracts 2 from the lead’s total—sometimes extra hands just get in the way!]




Note to Berk: So... using Psionics for the roll, Berk could get a +2 from Major Psionics... plus Stompy can assist with his Fighting...correct? ___ For this QC let’s say yes, so it’s not slowed down.


Note: Rava (Tharmander) please feel free to jump in.


You are at the Red Box
You are at the Red Box
Agents of Titan (AoT) Robotics Industries
• Jim - Sparkmort Zipwidget: Male Tinker Gnome Power Armor Ace
• Derrick - Caiden: Male Human, Momano Headhunter
• Steve (Hans) - Berk: Male Simvan Psi-Druid Monster Tamer/Rider
• Murp - Rupetta Martin: Female Human MARS Merc Soldier (X-CS)
• Freemage - Lance: Male Dog Boy Techno-Warrior (Cyber[netic] Knight)
• Tharmander - Rava: Female Human Shifter

My Accounts:
Active
  • Daniel - Admin/GM of AoT
  • Jackal - IC (Neural Intelligence) - 7th SET
  • Vi - Space Pirate - Stars Without Numbers
  • Burn - Mega Juicer - Juicer Uprising

Not Active
  • Hondo - Wild Psi Stalker Psi Slinger
  • Blackfish - Ogre Combat Mage
  • Setrakian - Dragon Juicer
  • Henry - CS Commando
  • Zero

NPC Accounts
  • Lord Coake - NPC
  • Valentine - NPC
  • Erin Tarn - NPC
  • James T - NPC
  • Hagen Lonovich - NPC

User avatar
Lance
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:25 pm

Re: 1.) Asset Recovery

Post by Lance »

OOC Comments
Pirates?
Common Knowledge 1d4!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Wild CK 1d6!!+2: [4]+2 = 6

CHARGE!! (QC roll: Fighting, 1d12+3, Scene Penalty/Drop balance out.)
Fighting 1d12!!+3: [9]+3 = 12
Wild Fighting 1d6!!+3: [1]+3 = 4
12 = 3 Tokens
Lance, seeing the tableaux before him, gives a terrifying snarl and shouts, "Verminous pirates! Today is-eth your last day! Nevermore shalleth thine blight spoileth the Earth!" and then finishes with a howl that sets any nearby fauna on edge, even as Steed is already bearing down on the startled Dwarf and his minions, Lance's drill suddenly extending to its' full length, possibly startling his companions.

Earlier mental speculation about the effects of the drill-bit on fleshy humans is now viscerally confirmed, as gore and tissue get scattered about. His charge obliterates one of the human minions, and then goes straight on to badly maim the dwarven leader in a single blow.
Lance
OOC Comments
Dog-Boy Techno-Warrior
Agility d10, Smarts d6, Spirit d10, Strength d12, Vigor d8
Charisma: 0 (but effectively +2); Parry: 7; Toughness: 18 (8) or Ranged 22 (12)
Fighting d12+6, Shooting d8, Riding d12+1, Notice d4+2 (+4 Scent/Vision), Repair d4, Tracking d6+4, Streetwise d6+2, Persuasion d6+2, Survival d4+4, K: Politics d8
Edges: Danger Sense, Beast Master, Nerves of Steel, Quick, Improvisational Fighter, Trademark Weapon (Drill), Imp. Counterattack
Hindrances: Code of Honor, Minor Delusion (Knighthood), Quirk (Faux-Courtly Speech), Outsider
Preferred Attacks:
  • Primary Attack: Drill, Fighting d12+6, Strength (d12) + 2d6 MD, AP 10, Reach 1 (if needed)
    Mounted Attack: Drill, Mounted Lance Mode, Fighting d12+6, Strength (d12) +2d6, AP 12, Reach 2
    Hard Target: Drill, Fighting d12+6, Strength (d12) +2d6 MD, Ignores Armor (Full Round Action, only vs. Vehicles/RA/Inanimate objects)
    Ranged Attack: Shooting d8, Portable Rocket Launcher (5d6 AP 6 SBT) or JA-9 Variable Rifle (3d6+1 AP 3)
Cybernetics (12/14 Strain):
  • EDS, Optics Package, Core Electronics Package, Wilderness Scout Package, x2 Wired Skill Ports (4-step Fighting, Riding), HtH Reaction Wiring, Reinforced Frame, Cy-Wi Reflexes, Drill
Bennies: 3/3
  • Q2/19 Adventure Cards:
    Cutting In Line Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.
    Inspiration Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.
“Steed” (Heavy Warhorse with Cybernetics)
[list] Agility 6; Smarts d4 (A); Spirit d6; Strength d12+2; Vigor d10
[*]Fighting d8; Notice d6
[*]Pace 10/d10; Parry 6; Toughness 22 (12 MDC)
[*]Size +3
[*]Kick: Strength +2d6 MD [/list]
User avatar
Sparkmort Zipwidget
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:34 pm

Re: 1.) Asset Recovery

Post by Sparkmort Zipwidget »


Common Knowledge 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
Wild Die 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5


Sparkmort's eyes narrow as he sees the pirates on the shore of the lake. I've busted some of those clowns he thinks to himself has he triggers his jump jets and rockets out of the back of the APC.

His knees flex as the suit absorbs the impact has he hits the ground and his feet dig in as his railgun snaps into ready position and he sprays the pirates in a hail of tungsten flechettes.


Shooting 1d10!!: [6] = 6
Wild Die 1d6!!: [5] = 5

Spending a benny to reroll with Elan
Shooting 1d10!!: [3] = 3
Wild Die 1d6!!: [4] = 4


Sparkmort curses under his breath as too many of his shots go wide but he did not want to risk hitting either cargo or the prisoners. Still, he gets a few hits and causes a lot of the rest to scatter for cover so not a total loss.
Sparkmort Zipwidget
Player: Jim
Active Alts: Dorn Giantslayer
User avatar
Caiden
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:00 pm

Re: 1.) Asset Recovery

Post by Caiden »

It seems like the quiet approach goes out the window as soon as the payload and hostages come into view. Caiden remains in the driver seat as the others charge forward. When they are within distance to engage, Caiden floors it and brings the Mammoth into optimal firing range.

The STS system helps Caiden identify friend from foe, and he uses the onboard weaponry to
Shooting (13): Raise (2)
Shooting 1d8!: [8!, 5] = 13
Wild 2 1d6!: [1] = 1
.

"Take them down and secure the payload on the double," Caiden calls out over radio channel three, "
Common Knowledge (9): Raise
Common Knowledge 1d6!+2: [6!, 1]+2 = 9
Wild 1 1d6!+2: [1]+2 = 3
we aren't going to have a good time when the calvalry rolls in, and they're probably not far out!"
User avatar
Rupetta
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:43 pm

Re: 1.) Asset Recovery

Post by Rupetta »

TL;DR
Success on Common Knowledge check
Success on Taunt check + 1 token + bumps and bruises for Rupetta
-------------------

”Yeah yeah yeah I got a hang over, ooohwooooaaahoooooh! Burrv burrv, psssht pssht pssht, yeaaaaah! Talkin on the amp like drunk ass d-bee with big ol’ lungs and no liver to do the cleanin! I drink drink it over and over agaaaaaain!” Came the extremely loud and near monotone over modulated sounds of the self appointed Comms Officer as she once again decided to sing along with the music that Caiden picked. Naturally inserting her own made up lyrics in the process. She hadn’t technically done anything to go against their drivers insistence on picking the music, but she did make it a painful experience for all involved. It was also likely possible the reason why no one had bothered to scout ahead, given that there was little chance anything wouldn’t be able to hear them coming a mile away.

Fortunately that also likely kept certain monstrous fauna away as well, as the loud belting metal monstrosity zoomed ahead down the road and past the ruins, both old and new that lay before them from the disaster that was Milwaukee.

”Huurr durr durr, look at meeeee.” Continued the extremely bad singing. “It’s a mages life for me! I fight and flick and yammer on, I only get off on leylines cause it’s all I’m good for! Hey hey hey! Hey mister blue stuff in the sky, why you gotta be so nice and pretty? Gimmie some magic for my magic man, cause that’s all he knows how to do. Can’t drive a mech, can’t heat up his toast, won’t open his can o’ beans, cause he’s gotta use magic for it all! I’m a magic man!”

The infuriating question as to whether Rupetta had planned this in advance or was just randomly singing about everything she saw possibly answered as they crossed one of the leylines shining its gentle blue light overhead. At least until night hit and the faint glow suddenly became an overwhelming aura over the entire area.

”Hey guys this is some serious shit going on okay? Gonna need radio silence from you all coming up. Somethings not right and you all won’t shut the hell up. You heard the man, keep channel 3 open!” Rupetta belted out, suddenly ceasing her incessant singing as she took on a different tone. ”Unless one of you got over eager and killed the legionnaires before the rest of us got there anyway. Well played on that one, had me all convinced you all were legionaries for a second there with all the whining you were doing about killing people. After this is over I gotta explain to you guys what it is people hire mercs to actually do. Afterwards you’re gonna call me the brain fellator, cause I’m gonna blow your damn minds!

As the APC pulled over next to the wreckage, Rupetta popped the top hatch and poked her head out to look at the ruined and mostly melted lump of slag that used to be a mirror of their own transport. Giving a long pause as she confirmed visually what the STS had suggested electronically on the screens that saw the lack of motion far before her eyes could. ”.... Well guess that weren’t none of you guys. The prize is gone too. Where the hell did it go?”

Fortunately Sparkmort had been on the case with the tracking device on the compad, leading the group to the bank of Lake Michigan. Where thankfully Rupetta had finally gone silent for real, allowing for at least the small chance of approaching with some semblance of surprise in order to gain the advantage.

Their method of course had been to simply charge ahead at full ramming speed, with engines red lining and threatening to blow up their nuclear payload at any moment. Fortunately the tactic had been so stupifyingly direct that it actually did catch the enemy off guard, allowing them to get the drop on their targets despite the terrain and cover disadvantage.

”Hey hey guys, looks like it’s

Success (5)
Common Knowledge 1d8!: [5] = 5
Wild Die 1d6!: [5] = 5
! Ahoy!” Came the loud belting sound of Rupetta once again screaming out over the APCs megaphone broadcast system. With the soldier seemingly only figuring it out at the moment when they were all already engaged in battle. ”Avast ye maties, surrender yer bootie or be forced to walk the plank!”

TONK TONK TONK! Came a familiar sound above Rupetta as she stopped abruptly, her eyes widening as she looked out a tiny porthole and saw one of the pirates firing a massive mounted WI-GL20 grenade launcher in her direction. The Grackle Tooth wearing a red bandana that aimed it directly at her position laughing viciously as the armor piercing grenades detonated all at once. Fortunately the shell of the APC was strong enough to just barely withstand the assault, the impact from the explosions was enough to throw Rupetta from her seat and onto her face as the vibrations from the metal on metal rang in her ears.

Dazed and disoriented, Rupetta reached for the dangling mic that hang from its coiled wire upside down next to her face, just shy of touching the ground. Mustering up the energy to continue weaponizing their PA system as she keyed the device.

”You sure you guys are pirates? I thought all the real ones were braving the oceans and fighting sea monsters and shit. You gotta go brown water cause you can’t hack it? Yeah yeah? Hey I know why, it’s cause your leader is a dorf right? I mean, they aren’t good at that sort of thing I hear. I mean I wouldn’t know, all the ocean pirates I know are elves, you know, like... Real pirates. Real pirates with real beards and shit. Well.. I guess you wouldn’t know what thats like. Right right?” Came the repeated
Success (4)
Taunt 1d8!: [3] = 3
Wild Die 1d6!: [4] = 4
from the Comms Officer, her words surprisingly creating a seething rage from the small crew, either because she had struck a nerve or because the person inside the APC just wouldn’t shut up, even after being hit by a barrage of grenades!

One way or another it seemed to work, distracting them just enough as the other more combat capable people with her seemed to have little trouble cleaning up. Finally at one point, there was a small reprieve from the megaphone as Rupetta switched to private comms, signalling the speakers from the drivers seat of the APC only. ”Wait.... Wait, your name is Caiden? Since when? I thought you said your name was Moe!”
Savage Rifts Player Characters:
Post Reply

Return to “Ventures”