2. The Old Fishery

Adventures in Korvosa and Beyond
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

2. The Old Fishery

Unfazed by the revelation that Zellara is, in fact, already dead, you head out to the address she gives you. ”Thank you,” she tells you before fading out of sight, ”and good fortune. Be careful. That old serpent still has fangs.”

The old fishery is a creaking, decrepit building. All external windows are boarded shut but have ample slits between the planks to allow those within to peer out. The wooden doors are mottled with mold and grit.

The fishery is perched atop a steep embankment, with most of the structure extending over the Jeggare River on wooden pilings. The embankment drops 13 feet into the river below; the sides look slippery and wet, and the external walls of the fishery extend almost all the way down to the river.

You cannot see anyone outside the building.

How would you like to approach?
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Vargan Orok
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Vargan Orok »

Peering at the old fishery Vargan wrinkles his nose.

"At least it isn't haunted," he mutters wishfully. "We need to get a look inside, before diving in. I could get to a window, but perhaps one of you has some tricks up your sleeves?"
Vargan Orok (Ranger)
Bennies 3/3, Conviction 2/2
User avatar
Ump'Tup
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:25 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Ump'Tup »

"Tricks?!" Ump'tup whispers excitedly, "I have tricks!"

Giggling to himself, the goblin rummages through his pouches, sacks and containers while rattling off options, "Acid melts and fire burns if we yearn for trouble on the double..."

"Smokesticks are always useful tricks," Ump'tup reaches into his alchemy kit and pulls out a salve, "Stinky feet for sticky feet, or..."

Ump'Tup grins and reveals a somewhat large vial of sky blue liquid from another pouch, "Big power goblin juice when you need a tasty treat for hasty feats!"
Ump'Tup
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 5(1); Toughness: 6(2)
Aignment Chaotic Neutral
Relevant Combat Effects
  • Darkvision: Goblin eyes are able to pierce the darkness. They ignore penalties for Illumination up to 10" (20 yards).
    Size -1
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 15/15
Bennies: 4/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature


Image
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Notice 6
Notice 1d6!!+2: [4]+2 = 6

Wild 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Morri glances up at the crooked, old fishery and assesses how best to scale it's walls by trying to spot useful foot and hand-holds to use in order to judge the best route. She also considers nearby buildings, seeing if any were close enough to offer a better alternative. She says to the group. "If we're gonna go fer one o' the windows, reckon I can get up there and let down a rope fer the rest o' ye."
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

Morri wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:56 am
Notice 6
Notice 1d6!!+2: [4]+2 = 6

Wild 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Morri glances up at the crooked, old fishery and assesses how best to scale it's walls by trying to spot useful foot and hand-holds to use in order to judge the best route. She also considers nearby buildings, seeing if any were close enough to offer a better alternative. She says to the group. "If we're gonna go fer one o' the windows, reckon I can get up there and let down a rope fer the rest o' ye."
Morri can tell that, despite its slick appearance, those walls could be climbed by someone with some skill. If you would like to try and climb, please make an Athletics check.

None of the nearby buildings are close enough to be of help, alas.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Falderol looks at the building and shakes his head. "I climb about as well as a turtle so getting me to the top may be difficult. I can stay down here and when you break in the top I can break in the front. Attack on two fronts and keep them off balance."
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Berkley Dig
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Berkley Dig »

I am with Falderol, I don't think I can scale these walls well enough or quietly enough. At least, I'd be more useful down here.
Berkley Dig
Berkeley Dig Cleric Parry: 6, Toughness:w/ leather jacket: 07(2);
4 Bennies, 0 Conviction, 0 Wounds, and 0 Fatigue
Beginning 3
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
0 Conviction
  • Expenditures/Gains
Wounds: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls) Fatigue: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls)
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

"Hmm" Morri muttered to herself and thought for a moment. "Not keen on charging in blindly....wot if I got up ta one o' 'em windows and see wot I can see 'tween 'em planks?"

"Least see wot might be waiting fer us...mebbe?"
Last edited by Morri on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

Morri wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:46 pm "Hmm"[/i] Morri muttered to herself and thought for a moment. "Not keen on charging in blindly....wot if I got up ta one o' 'em windows and see wot I can see 'tween 'em planks?"

"Least see wot might be waiting fer us...mebbe?"


If you are going to climb up, please drop an Athletics roll.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Climb 6
Athletics 1d6!!+3: [3]+3 = 6

Wild 1d6!!+3: [3]+3 = 6
With no objections forthcoming, Morri shrugs her shoulders and then proceeds to scale the wall. For somebody who practically lived above the city streets amongst the roof slates and chimney stacks, the wall presented no real challenge and the little human rogue soon reached a window ledge from which to try and peer through in between the planks of wood.
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Notice 1d6: [2] = 2 , 1d6: [4] = 4

Morri wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:46 pm "Hmm" Morri muttered to herself and thought for a moment. "Not keen on charging in blindly....wot if I got up ta one o' 'em windows and see wot I can see 'tween 'em planks?"
"Least see wot might be waiting fer us...mebbe?"
"If you can get us a way in, I can create a ladder-stair that will get us all in without us having to climb. Even Ludwig will be able to get in. Or we can use Ump'tupp's offer of just walking up the walls. Or maybe both. I'm all for slaughtering the ruffians and ne'er do wells, but there are innocents in there and we'd be better off going after the head of the snake. If nothing else because it'll make killing the rest easier. So a bit of stealth and trickiness, even for those of us incapable of great feats of stealth and athletic prowess."
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Ump'Tup
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:25 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Ump'Tup »

Ump'tup bounces between his two feet while everyone talks and Morri goes off by herself. His patience runs out and he pulls out a tiny vial with a sip of liquid in it. He
Featherfall Cantrip
PP: 0
Duration: 5
The affected target falls slowly. Feather fall instantly changes the rate at which the targets fall to a mere 60 feet per round, and the subjects take no damage upon landing while the spell is in effect. When the spell duration expires, a normal rate of falling resumes.

Hmm....do I need to roll for cantrips? I forget...but, here it is just in case. 1d8!: [1] = 1
Wild 2 should have been Wild 1 whatever 1d6!: [3] = 3
I checked, and you do have to roll, and a failure is a failure. Hopefully I don't fall because I'm not bennying a cantrip. Potion doesn't work, but nothing bad happens except on a critical fail.
and shakes his head at his new friends.

He admonishes them with a quiet, forceful hiss, "We can't let Morri go alone, she could get stabbed!"

Ump'tup skitters after Morri and
Roll Athletics 1d6!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!: [2] = 2
behind her.
Ump'Tup
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 5(1); Toughness: 6(2)
Aignment Chaotic Neutral
Relevant Combat Effects
  • Darkvision: Goblin eyes are able to pierce the darkness. They ignore penalties for Illumination up to 10" (20 yards).
    Size -1
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 15/15
Bennies: 4/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature


Image
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

There are 2 windows on the front of the building, and @Morri is able to peek into both.

The first window is above the front door, giving her a view of the entry into the building. She sees a single desk in the middle of this room, with a moldy chair pushed up against it. A small pile of ratty furs and straw is heaped under the desk. The tail of some creature, possibly a dog or something of similar size, pokes out from under the desk.

As Morri approaches the second window, her senses are assaulted with the stink of fish and sweat, and it is enough to make her eyes water. To the east wall in the room, a large wooden trough holds a hideous mound of half-rancid fish, seaweed, and brine. Filthy river water and fish blood stain the floor around this trough. A pair of wooden chutes lead from this trough through holes in the eastern wall into a larger room beyond.

To the west, a desk and chair sit in one corner while a tall cabinet sits in the other.

Four children toil away in this room, using pitchforks to feed fish into the chutes. A fifth figure, who is roughly child-sized, directs the work, berating the children when they move too slowly. You can tell this fifth figure is dressed similarly to the children, but when they move, leather armor peeks out from beneath their ragged clothing and to see the handle of a knife at their belt.

If you would like to check out other windows, you may do so, but you will need to make a stealth roll at -2 to avoid detection.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Stealth 4
Stealth 1d8!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-1: [5]-1 = 4
Morri makes note of what she sees, from her own experiences of living under Lamm's thumb she could make an educated guess as to who or what the other of the tail was and similarly for the armoured figure. But she'd only spied a fraction of what the building held and so tried edging round to another window, hoping to catch sight of something more revealing about Lamm's venture here.
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Falderol watches the human and goblin climbing up the walls. As they quietly poke their heads up to various windows and cracks he just shakes his head. "I understand the need for recon but they make it look way too easy."
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Kaja snorts a bit with a hint of bemusement. "So easy to fall on our collective asses. I hope they find us an entry point soon. Not that making stairs up will be easy, but a site easier than trying to clamber up that wall. Got no fishhooks for fingers on my hands, after all."
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

Image

Morri deftly scrambles along the roof and finds her way to more windows.

From her perch, she is able to see a dilapidated, rotting loading dock (A2 on the image). A few carts sit nearby, partially loaded with large, tar-caked barrels marked with a fish-shaped splotch of red paint on the side. Double doors to the immediate south of the loading dock’s ramp provide access to the building’s interior (to A7), while a rickety flight of stairs descends ten feet to a point just three feet over the river’s surface, where a simple door provides a secondary entrance (to A8).

Morri has already seen into rooms A4 (entryway with a desk) and A7 (the room with working orphans and a small overseer).

She is also now able to peer into A8, where the floor looks slick with river water, bits of seaweed, and fish blood, and the air is thick with the accompanying scents. Wooden catwalks to the north and south allow access between the western part of the fishery and the floor of the room, which is ten feet lower. A wide opening in the floor to the south allows direct access to the sloppy, muddy water of the Jeggare River a further three feet down, while to the northwest stands an immense eight-foot-tall wooden vat, its sides caked and waterproofed with tar. Inside is a foul-looking mixture of chum, river water, and who knows what else. To the east are stacked many barrels and crates, each with a fish painted on it. Over a dozen small hammocks hang from under the catwalks, each with its own ratty blanket and pillow.

Morri sees five children working the room, along with an orcish looking brute who stands over them and directs their work, commenting on it with derision. She does not recognize the brute, but he seems to take pleasure in deriding the orphans’ efforts.

Morri can also now see a derelict ship moored behind the fishery (A9), its rotten deck barely intact and its hull thick with seaweed and barnacles. The ship appears held together primarily by the layers of old rope that lash it securely to the pilings that support the fishery and the nearby boardwalk. The rickety walkway leads along the ship’s starboard, a foot below its railing. A single wooden door leading into the aft cabin bears a crude painting of a red fish on its surface (A10).

Morri is not able to see A3, A5, or A6 from her perch, so pretend you can’t, either.

Further scouting is possible, but the longer you are up there, the more you push your luck. You will need to make a Stealth roll at -4 or be spotted.

What Next?

Okay, so far we have Morri and Ump’tup on the roof and the rest of the party watching (and waiting) from concealment. Morri has gotten some good intel, but you all need to link up so she can share it! Any of the windows Morri found could make decent entry points, though they are all boarded up; there are gaps between the boards sufficient to see and to let in light, but any entry via the windows will require pulling off the boards.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Morri decided she'd seen enough, especially as what she spied brought up some...unpleasant memories. The rest of the party were no doubt still waiting on her, so she tied a rope to allow for an easier climb if the party wanted to go in via one of the upper story windows. Once satisfied with her work, she climbed back down and made her report to the rest of the party with a notable sombre tone.
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Berkley Dig
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Berkley Dig »

"Well, I think we'd be better off taking out the Orcish overseer on the lower floor, then working our way up to the small overseer upstairs. We might be able to lure the Orcish overseer into an ambush."
Berkley Dig
Berkeley Dig Cleric Parry: 6, Toughness:w/ leather jacket: 07(2);
4 Bennies, 0 Conviction, 0 Wounds, and 0 Fatigue
Beginning 3
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
0 Conviction
  • Expenditures/Gains
Wounds: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls) Fatigue: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls)
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Kaja shakes her head in partial disagreement. "Don't get me wrong, I think a well timed assault is our best bet, but I think it more likely that we'll do better to hit them from two directions. One team head for the orc, one for the other fellow with the kids in this front room. I'm also curious how many might be on that ship." She shrugs and then grins impulsively*. "Of course the reality is we can't wait around forever, so let's just hit the two overseers, lock in whatever is hiding beneath the desk, and then deal with the aftermath."

She begins whispering in what some might recognize as the elemental language terran, as if going over a plan with something that rumbles from under the ground - or maybe she just scuffed her boot on the ground to produce the noise. Without realizing it, she begins humming a seemingly tuneless song very lowly. The boar at her side seems to react to the humming, as if expecting something. After a moment a cloud of dust and small stones seems to spring to life and breaks into 7 smaller clouds, each surrounding one of the party. "My elemental friends will do their best to protect and shroud you; should be effective against melee attacks and some from ranged as well. For a short time in any case, but we must hurry or they will lose cohesion." She pulls on the shaft of her cane, exposing the sword beneath.
*
Impulsive Hindrance!



Result of casting: Kaja, Ludwig, Falderol, Berkley, Vargan, Morri, and Ump'Tup: Opponents subtract 2 from melee attacks and subtract 1 from Ranged Attacks; Also adds +1 to stealth rolls by the heroes.
Copy this to your post if you accept the power cast.

Code: Select all

[b]Conditions[/b]: [b]Deflecting Stone and Dirt Cloud[/b]: Opponents subtract 2 from melee attacks and subtract 1 from Ranged Attacks; Also adds +1 to stealth rolls

Performance 1d8!: [1] = 1 , 1d6!: [4] = 4
Deflection (Pathfinder Core Book p181)
Power Points: 9=2 (base; Kaja) +1 each for Ludwig, Falderol, Berkley, Vargan, Morri, and Ump'Tup) + Shroud +1
Duration: 5/5
Trappings: As Kaja sings, bits of stone and dust fly around, as elementals obscure the recipient and deflect attacks.
Deflection misdirects incoming melee or missile attacks from the recipient of the power. With success, foes must subtract 2 from either melee or ranged attacks (caster’s choice). With a raise, the penalty applies to both. An attacker who uses a ranged weapon in melee against the recipient suffers the penalty either way.
Modifiers (in use)
Additional Recipients (+1): The power may affect more than one target for 1 additional Power Point each.
Shroud (+1): Shroud dims and slightly obscures the target so that attacks against her suffer a −1 penalty and she adds +1 to her Stealth rolls.
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Ump'Tup
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:25 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Ump'Tup »

Ump'Tup follows Morri down and back to the rest of the party. He listens to the plan impatiently, but quietly.

"Ump'Tup can help," he says while digs through his flasks and pull a larger one out with enough liquid for two doses.

He cocks his head and peers at it for a moment before shaking it vigorously. It starts to fizz and begins to give off a slight glow. He gives a satisfied nod.

"
Big Power Goblin Juice (Boost Trait - Spirit): 6 (+1 die type to Spirit, 5/5 Rounds)
2 PP + 1 PP Additional Recipient = -3 PP
Alchemy 1d8!: [6] = 6
Wild 1d6!: [5] = 5

roll 1d5 (Agi, Sma, Spi, Str, Vig): [3] = 3
Roll 1d2 (Stat, Skill): [1] = 1
is tasty. Fizzy, blue glow...should make you hard to trick. Maybe react a little faster. Could be boils, but the juice always gives you what you need,"
Ump'tup explains with confidence as he gives some to Falderol and Vargan, "Drink, drink, then hurry, hurry. Big power won't last long!"
Ump'Tup
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 5(1); Toughness: 6(2)
Aignment Chaotic Neutral
Relevant Combat Effects
  • Darkvision: Goblin eyes are able to pierce the darkness. They ignore penalties for Illumination up to 10" (20 yards).
    Size -1
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 15/15
Bennies: 4/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature


Image
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

"Ok, it sounds like one group is going in the side and down some stairs to get to the working kids. I can take the lead that way. Let's go?"

Kaja then spouts some mumbo jumbo and a cloud of dust and pebbles start floating around a large portion of the group. Shortly after Ump'Tup hands out a couple of vile vials. Falderol suppresses the urge to bat the stones away from his face as he starts towards the fishery drinking whatever is in the bottle. "Come on."
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

The group makes its way carefully across the street and onto the rickety dock to the side of the building. Kaja's elemental magic helps shroud you all from view and you make it to the building without being seen.

Once at the dock, the party splits up: @Kaja Earthblooded, @Morri, and @Vargan Orok head for the double doors leading to A7 while @Berkley Dig, @Falderol Grelemis, and @Ump'Tup work their way down the stairs to the smaller door heading to A8.

Team A7: Kaja, Morri, and Vargan

Description: The stink in this room, a mixture of fish and sweat, is enough to make the eyes water. To the east, a large wooden trough holds a hideous mound of half-rancid fish, seaweed, and brine.

Filthy river water and fish blood stain the floor around this trough. A pair of wooden chutes lead from this trough through holes in the eastern wall into a larger room beyond. To the west, a desk and chair sit in one corner while a tall cabinet sits in the other.

Occupants: Four Lamm’s Lambs toil here, using pitchforks to feed fish into the chutes that empty into the slurry tank in area A8 whenever someone calls out for more fish. A fifth person also occupies the room, dressed in similar clothing to the Lambs, whom you know from Morri’s report to be a gnome overseer in disguise.

Action: The door swings open easily for you. As you enter, the gnome darts for the door to room A4, pulling open. ”Boo! Attack!” A large, hungry looking cur slinks into the room, and the children begin shouting and running in all directions. Clearly, the kids are terrified of the dog.

Quickly, Now: This encounter will be run as a quick encounter (see page 134 of the Savage Worlds core rulebook). You may use any Skill you deem appropriate (e.g., Fighting to handle the gnome, Persuasion to coax the children to safety, Survival to try to calm the dog, etc.).

Because of Kaja’s preparatory spellcasting, this is a normal quick encounter instead of a dangerous quick encounter: you are all hard to hit.

In addition, because of Ump’Tup’s preparatory casting, Vargan may add +1 to whatever Skill you choose to roll (effectively canceling out the -1 caused by the slippery deck): your Spirit is bolstered and your confidence carries you to greater heights than normal.


Team A8: Berkley, Falderol, and Ump’Tup

Description: The floor in this room is slick with river water, bits of seaweed, and fish blood, and the air is thick with the accompanying scents. Wooden catwalks to the north and south allow access between the western part of the fishery and the floor of the room, which is ten feet lower.

A wide opening in the floor to the south allows direct access to the sloppy, muddy water of the Jeggare River a further three feet down, while to the northwest stands an immense eight-foot-tall wooden vat, its sides caked and waterproofed with tar.

Inside is a foul-looking mixture of chum, river water, and who knows what else. To the east are stacked many barrels and crates, each with a fish painted on it.

Over a dozen small hammocks hang from under the catwalks, each with its own ratty blanket and pillow.

Occupants: Five children work in this room. Two of them stand on the catwalks using long oars to stir the vat from above, while three others carry buckets to and from the vat, sometimes throwing things in, sometimes taking bucketloads out and filling barrels.

In the midst of the children on the ground floor is a cruel looking orcish brute with a scarred face and an unsettling smile.

Action: The door is unlocked, and you are able to stroll right in. The children do not notice you at first, but the orc sees you right away. ”Well, what have we here?” he practically giggles. Pulling a flail from his belt, he approaches. ”What business do you lot think you have here? Pickup ain’t until tonight, and you don’t look like the Spider’s people, neither. Reckon that makes you uninvited, don’t it?”

The children, once they see their overseer approaching, freeze in place, wide eyed.

Let’s Be Quick About This: This encounter will be run as a quick encounter (see page 134 of the Savage Worlds core rulebook). You may use any Skill you deem appropriate (e.g., Fighting to handle the orc, Persuasion to coax the kids down from the catwalks, Athletics to scoop up children and carry them outside, etc.). Because the floor here is so slick, please make your rolls at -1 as you struggle to keep your footing.

Because of Kaja’s preparatory spellcasting, this is a normal quick encounter instead of a dangerous quick encounter: you are all hard to hit.

In addition, because of Ump’Tup’s preparatory casting, Falderol may add +1 to whatever Skill you choose to roll: your Spirit is bolstered and your confidence carries you to greater heights than normal.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Kaja begins a sing song chant instructing the children to safety. She dances about, avoiding the dog and coming over to shoo the children along, interceding between them and the dog. Ludwig merely snorts at the dog as he places himself between his mistress and danger, daring it to charge him as the boar paws for his own counter charge.
  • "Hey Ho, Doggy No!
    Hey Ho, Children go!
    Out the door to safety go!
    Hey ho, we're here to show!
    Let us lead you away from daaaanger!
Performance 1d8!!+1: [6]+1 = 7 , 1d6!!+1: [3]+1 = 4
Benny to Reroll Performance 1d8!!+1: [12!!]+1 = 13 , 1d6!!+1: [5]+1 = 6
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Falderol strides towards the orc drawing his "The
Once per encounter as a free action, the inquisitor can pronounce judgment on an enemy to gain five Judgment tokens. A single token may be spent to add +2 to a Trait or damage roll she makes against the judged, or –2 to one of the foe's Trait or damage rolls. Judgement tokens may be spent after the roll, and remain in effect if the original total is rerolled.
of Pharasma falls on you and finds you wanting. You will suffer for your sins in the same way you have made others suffer."
He then strides into
Fighting (-1 slick floor, +1 Ump'Tup 'juice'): !1d6: [2] = 2
Wild: !1d6: [1] = 1
Spend one of my Judgment tokens to make the total a 4, basic success.
with the brute knowing his actions will be guided.
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Berkley Dig
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Berkley Dig »

Berkeley strides in after Falderol, eyeing the Orc. He grabs his wooden Holy Symbol and whispers a prayer to Gozreh under his breath. Faith Roll: 2; Wild Die: 5. With one hand on his Holy Symbol, Berkeley touches the orc with his index finger and casts Lower Trait on the Orc. (Lower Trait: Lower a Trait one die or two with a raise, opposed by Spirit as a free action at the end of the target's turn.)
Berkley Dig
Berkeley Dig Cleric Parry: 6, Toughness:w/ leather jacket: 07(2);
4 Bennies, 0 Conviction, 0 Wounds, and 0 Fatigue
Beginning 3
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
0 Conviction
  • Expenditures/Gains
Wounds: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls) Fatigue: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls)
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Fighting 7
Fighting 1d8!!: [7] = 7
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
As Kaja dealt with getting the children to safety and keeping the dog distracted, Morri moved to tackle the Gnome. She was wary of the dog, but deemed the Gnome to be the more important target to deal with, the Gnome could call for reinforcements which wouldn't work out too well for the party. Additionally, if they could capture the Gnome they would have a possible source of information.
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

Team A7: Kaja, Morri, and Vargan

The team moves quickly and decisively into the room. Kaja’s song draws the children in the room towards her, calming their otherwise (justifiably) shot nerves. One of them looks up at her, gaunt faced and with dark circles under her eyes, and asks, ”Can we work for you, now, instead? You seem nicer.”

Ludwig and the cur collide heavily in a tangle of tusks and teeth. Floorboards and walls in the decrepit room shake under the strain, as growls and snorts turn to whimpers and yelps. Though vicious, the battle is short, and the dog flees back to A4, its tail between its legs.

Meanwhile, Morri’s heads up action secures the team a prisoner. She bears the gnome to the ground and relieves him of his weapon, her knee on his neck.

Vargan keeps watch for any other signs of danger.

The gnome, seeing himself outmatched, stops struggling almost immediately. ”Hey. Hey! Careful, there. What do you want, huh? I’ll tell you anything you want! Just don’t hurt me!”


Team A8: Berkley, Falderol, and Ump’Tup

Berkley and Falderol waste no time, moving straight for the brutish looking orc in the room with purpose.

The orc giggles at them as they approach, twirling a wicked-looking morning star above his head. ”Come to Giggles!” he begins to yell.

He is cut off, though, by Falderol’s blade plunging into his gut. He tries to twist out of the way, but his movements are unnaturally sluggish (thanks to Berkley’s timely spellcasting).

The fight is quick, and the orc lays still in a pool of its own gore, quiet.

The children flee for room A7 and the sound of Kaja’s music.

Ump’tup watches the door for any new threats, ready to help when called.

Hearing the sounds in the other room, team A8 heads to A7, too, and sees Morri on top of the small gnome and a gaggle of children surrounding Kaja.

What Next?

The team is all together in room A8 now, and you have a prisoner to boot. What would you like to do next?

Oh, Berkely, please give yourself back 1d6 Power Points. If anyone wishes to search A8, or the body of the orc, before heading to A7, please post a Notice roll.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Kaja smiles warmly to the children. She speaks in hushed tones, loud enough to be heard by them, but not necessarily loud enough to be heard by the gnome. "I'm sure we can find something for you to do less horrible than this. For now, I need two things. Anything of note you may have seen and can direct us to, and you out of danger. But quietly, quiet as mice on soft dirt. What's in the office locked up? Any trinkets of note around? Things these fools hide away and act like you don't notice?" As she talks to them, she relays any information to Morri and Vargan.

(Persuasion as an assist to @Morri's notice. +2 to someone's rolls
1d8!!+1: [7]+1 = 8 , 1d6!!+1: [1]+1 = 2
)
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

Kaja Earthblooded wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:23 pm "I'm sure we can find something for you to do less horrible than this. For now, I need two things. Anything of note you may have seen and can direct us to, and you out of danger. But quietly, quiet as mice on soft dirt. What's in the office locked up? Any trinkets of note around? Things these fools hide away and act like you don't notice?"
One of the children, a scraggly-looking elvish girl with huge eyes, steps forward. "They take things to the back. To the boat. We're never allowed on the boat, except when we get in trouble. And then we don't come back from the boat." As if surprised by her own boldness, the child steps back into the bunch.

Another, younger child speaks up, "Is just paper and Boo in the office. They take all our shinies not in the office."
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Berkley Dig
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Berkley Dig »

Berkeley looks to Morri, "What do you say we go check out this boat? Perchance it's docked there now. And the sooner we get these children out of this place, the better."
Berkley Dig
Berkeley Dig Cleric Parry: 6, Toughness:w/ leather jacket: 07(2);
4 Bennies, 0 Conviction, 0 Wounds, and 0 Fatigue
Beginning 3
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
0 Conviction
  • Expenditures/Gains
Wounds: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls) Fatigue: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls)
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Notice 20
Notice 1d6!!+4: [4]+4 = 8
Wild 1d6!!+4: [16!!]+4 = 20
"Ach, gimme 'alf a mo." Morri replied to Berkeley, her eyes already glancing round the room. Drawing upon both her memories of her time under Lamm's thumb and later experience with her sticky fingers, she tried to spot anything of value. Whilst she was at it, she tried making a quick glance at the office through a window or hole in the wall.
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

Morri wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:40 am
Notice 20
Notice 1d6!!+4: [4]+4 = 8
Wild 1d6!!+4: [16!!]+4 = 20
"Ach, gimme 'alf a mo." Morri replied to Berkeley, her eyes already glancing round the room. Drawing upon both her memories of her time under Lamm's thumb and later experience with her sticky fingers, she tried to spot anything of value. Whilst she was at it, she tried making a quick glance at the office through a window or hole in the wall.
Other than what gear is on the fallen orc and on the party’s gnome captive, Morri sees little of value.

She is keen-eyed enough to notice that one of the legs in the desk in the office seems off, though. Upon further inspection, she finds a small compartment in the wood just large enough for a small, seashell pendant necklace and a single coin. To her surprise, the coin is a platinum piece!
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

The children lead you out to the rickety walkway that serves as a dock to the ship behind the old fishery.

As you approach the ship, you see that, like everything else at the old fishery, it is ancient and barely intact; its hull is worn and thick with seaweed and barnacles. The ship is held together primarily by the layers of old rope that lash it securely to the pilings that support the fishery and the nearby boardwalk.

The walkway leads along the ship’s starboard, a foot below its railing.

A single wooden door leading into the aft cabin (A10) bears a crude painting of a red fish on its surface.

One of the children whispers to @Kaja Earthblooded, pointing at the ship, "He's usually in there. That's where they take the shinies. We don't go in there."

The Map!

In case you have forgotten, here is what your current area looks like. You are now on the walkway A3 next to the deck A9. How would you like to proceed?

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Pursuit wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:01 pm
Morri wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:40 am
Notice 20
Notice 1d6!!+4: [4]+4 = 8
Wild 1d6!!+4: [16!!]+4 = 20
"Ach, gimme 'alf a mo." Morri replied to Berkeley, her eyes already glancing round the room. Drawing upon both her memories of her time under Lamm's thumb and later experience with her sticky fingers, she tried to spot anything of value. Whilst she was at it, she tried making a quick glance at the office through a window or hole in the wall.
Other than what gear is on the fallen orc and on the party’s gnome captive, Morri sees little of value.

She is keen-eyed enough to notice that one of the legs in the desk in the office seems off, though. Upon further inspection, she finds a small compartment in the wood just large enough for a small, seashell pendant necklace and a single coin. To her surprise, the coin is a platinum piece!
Morri pockets the items before she rejoins the others, then follows as the party were led out to where the ship was docked. Though she was a little wary of simply barging onto the ship, she recalled from our own unhappy time under Lamm's thumb of the children who were strangely still loyal to the scoundrel despite how ill-treated they were. There was still the chance that they were being led into a trap and so Morri kept her eyes peeled ready for any perceived betrayal.

Notice 7
Notice 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
Wild 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Seeing how nervous Morri is Falderol also
Notice: !rd6!: [6!, 5] = 11
Wild: !rd6!: [4] = 4
around. He then
Stealth: !rd6!: [2] = 2
Wild: !rd6!: [2] = 2
climbs aboard the ship heading for the door while drawing his sword.
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

@Morri keeps her eyes well peeled, but does not see any signs of a trap.

When @Falderol Grelemis steps on the deck, it groans loudly under his weight. Please make an Athletics check to keep your balance, as the wood bends uncomfortably under your feet and the deck is slick.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Feeling the boards bend and creak as he puts his
Athletics: !rd6!: [6!, 2] = 8
Wild: !rd6!: [3] = 3
on the deck Falderol put extra effort on keeping his balance.
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

@Falderol Grelemis keeps his balance. With a raise, he realizes a wrong step (ooc: a critical failure on Athletics) could send someone plummeting through the rotted, old deck.

Anyone boarding the ship must make an Athletics check to keep their footing.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

Seeing no other path forward, the party boards the ship, following Falderol's lead.

Everyone please make me an Athletics check or fall down (with potential... consequences) on the slippery deck.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Athletics 6
Athletics 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2

+2 onto rolls from Free Runner
The wooden deck of the boat looked to be lousy with rot, something that admittedly wasn't all that uncommon with more than a few of the buildings and rooftops in the city that she called home. It was also slick with slime and damp, again something that wasn't uncommon from where she normally roam but still required careful footing. The pitch and roll of the boat as the water lapped against it, however, was an entirely new experience.
Last edited by Morri on Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Kaja
Athletics 1d4!: [4!, 4!, 1] = 9 , 1d6!: [2] = 2
Notice 1d6!: [2] = 2 , 1d6!: [1] = 1
Ludwig
Athletics 1d6!: [2] = 2


Kaja and Ludwig continue onto the boat. Kaja is distracted by something she sees and almost steps onto a dangerous part of the deck. Ludwig, ever the best boy, headbutts her and ends up sending her sailing across the dangerouns part of the deck, but ends up scrambling and squealing as he disappears. "Ludwig!" gasps Kaja as she watches her friend slip below desk, after recovering well from the sacrifice move of her best friend.
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

Morri,
He rolled a 4 on discord
, and Kaja all make their ways deftly across the rickety deck of the ship, following Falderol's footsteps. Ludwig, unfortunately, is less sure-footed. He slides across the slippery deck and collides with the side, making a huge racket, but not breaking anything. The boards beneath him do appear to bend uncomfortably, however.

Vargan and Ump'tup hang behind to secure the Old Fishery (and your exit), leaving you free to head to the cabin.

As you walk, you notice two small figures heading your way along the dock, and one rather large looking dog. Or maybe it is a small horse? A... dog horse?

@Zook and @Bonk approach the team: please, tell them what they see!

Also, please make Athletics rolls to board the ship (for the eidolon, too) and traverse its rotting, slick deck.

Anyone else on the team may react to the newcomers as you see fit.

Now, it's a party (again)!
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Bonk
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Bonk »

“Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnngggguuuullllgggg...” Came a groaning sound from Bonk, as the goblin who had been laying face first in the street woke up slowly with a pounding headache and a mind full of bitter regrets at having drank so heavily the night before. At some point she must have gotten kicked out of the tavern she had been in and stumbled her way to that particular alley at the... Wherever they were. Somewhere in Korvosa. Yeah that was it. Details be damned, stuff like that wasn’t important.

By “they” she meant of course the regal looking figure of the large cat-dog that sat stalwartly over Bonk’s prone form, once again ensuring that no harm would come to the hung over goblin rat-catcher who had taken to drowning her misery out once again at the bottom of a bottle. The creature called George didn’t say anything, it didn’t need to. She could feel the judgmental stare of judgment coming from it, telling her to mend her ways and get back on the straight and narrow. Well not this time, she wasn’t going to have any of it!

Planting the palms of her hands on the muddy streets, Bonk pushed herself up at the waist and raised her head off of the ground. For the first time noticing that there was a strange card stuck to the side of her face, the thing half drenched in vomit from the puddle that lay next to her, which had presumably contained last nights offerings. It fell off of her face and fell to the ground with a plop, revealing some smudged writing on the back with highly specific instructions for a clandestine meet which would eventually lead to a fateful encounter with a ghost that would set them on the path of an adventure which would change the course of their lives forever.

That was of course, if Bonk had known how to read. Angrily she rose to her feet and picked up the card, waving it in front of George’s face as she barked out at her companion. ”Huh?? What in the pit is this crap? If I’d wanted to read notes on weird cards I’d have learned how to read!” And with that, she stuffed the rest of the card into her mouth and started chewing on it defiantly, never breaking eye contact with the large cat-dog that towered above her.

”Taseths kinmba like salph.” She muttered between chewings, swallowing with a poorly disguised pained expression as the wad of soggy vomit and dirt covered paper made its way down her throat. ”Like salt I said, betcha it was one of those fortune tellers down at the docks, trying to get us in on some scam. Well we ain’t got time for any of that. I want my money and today we’re gonna find Gaedren if I gotta punch the head in of every thug and low life we see till we get our answers! Just once I wish fate or something would side with us and give us a clue or something, this search is turnin up nothin. Hey! Where are you going??”

The creature had simply turned around and left, marching away at a steady pace and with a certain determination to its step. Guessing it had an idea, Bonk grabbed her oversized hammer that had been laying on the ground next to her, and scrambled on after it.



Later that day....

”Shoulda come here at night if you wanted to be all sneaky.” Bonk muttered as the pair of them walked along the dock next to the fishery. ”I don’t think he’s gonna be in here, and something is going down inside the building too with all that noise. Aw dammit this pisses me off!” She chewed on her lip angrily. The others who watched them approach would see a small goblin covered in piecemeal armor, holding a maul over her shoulder that looked way too big for her.

Bonk had wanted to scream out “Where’s my money Gaedren!” at the top of her lungs the entire time, but her companion had advised against it. Instead she

Athletics 1d8!: [4] = 4 Success
Wild Die 1d6!: [4] = 4
onto the boat unceremoniously, making a bewildered face (see profile pic) as she saw that a large handful of other people seemed to have beaten them there.

”Who in Cayden Caileans ass are you guys?” She blurted out finally.
User avatar
Zook
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:44 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Zook »

Coming across the beaten body of a female Goblin, Zook sends George up to check on her to see if she was playing possum. After verifying that she was indeed wounded, Zook took out his Healer's Kit and put some poultices on the worse of his wounds. There was what looked like a Harrow card stuck on his face.

I better not remove that card... It may be of importance to her... or a message to her from someone I don't want to upset.

As the Goblin groans and starts to stir, Zook backs up while George stays near her.
Bonk wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:54 pm “Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnngggguuuullllgggg...” Came a groaning sound from Bonk, as the goblin who had been laying face first in the street woke up slowly with a pounding headache and a mind full of bitter regrets at having drank so heavily the night before. At some point she must have gotten kicked out of the tavern she had been in and stumbled her way to that particular alley at the... Wherever they were. Somewhere in Korvosa. Yeah that was it. Details be damned, stuff like that wasn’t important.

Planting the palms of her hands on the muddy streets, Bonk pushed herself up at the waist and raised her head off of the ground. For the first time noticing that there was a strange card stuck to the side of her face, the thing half drenched in vomit from the puddle that lay next to her, which had presumably contained last nights offerings. It fell off of her face and fell to the ground with a plop, revealing some smudged writing on the back with highly specific instructions for a clandestine meet which would eventually lead to a fateful encounter with a ghost that would set them on the path of an adventure which would change the course of their lives forever.

That was of course, if Bonk had known how to read. Angrily she rose to her feet and picked up the card, waving it in front of George’s face as she barked out at her companion. ”Huh?? What in the pit is this crap? If I’d wanted to read notes on weird cards I’d have learned how to read!” And with that, she stuffed the rest of the card into her mouth and started chewing on it defiantly, never breaking eye contact with the large cat-dog that towered above her.

”Taseths kinmba like salph.” She muttered between chewings, swallowing with a poorly disguised pained expression as the wad of soggy vomit and dirt covered paper made its way down her throat. ”Like salt I said, betcha it was one of those fortune tellers down at the docks, trying to get us in on some scam. Well we ain’t got time for any of that. I want my money and today we’re gonna find Gaedren if I gotta punch the head in of every thug and low life we see till we get our answers! Just once I wish fate or something would side with us and give us a clue or something, this search is turnin up nothin. Hey! Where are you going??”

The creature had simply turned around and left, marching away at a steady pace and with a certain determination to its step. Guessing it had an idea, Bonk grabbed her oversized hammer that had been laying on the ground next to her, and scrambled on after it.
Well, since this Goblin seems to know nothing of its Harrow card, it must have been from the same person who had put his neatly on top of George's saddle right next to the Eidolon's head, and probably with the same instructions.

Quickly calling over to George in Sylvan, Zook made his way to where his card had told him to meet up...


Bonk wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:54 pm
Later that day....

”Shoulda come here at night if you wanted to be all sneaky.” Bonk muttered as the pair of them walked along the dock next to the fishery. ”I don’t think he’s gonna be in here, and something is going down inside the building too with all that noise. Aw dammit this pisses me off!” She chewed on her lip angrily. The others who watched them approach would see a small goblin covered in piecemeal armor, holding a maul over her shoulder that looked way too big for her.

”Who in Cayden Caileans ass are you guys?” She blurted out finally.
Following his new and very aggressive companion onto the boat,
Athletics: 1d4!!: [3] = 3
Wild: 1d6!!: [10!!] = 10
Result: 11 - Success and Raise.

Zook is a Male Gnome with vibrant blue hair wearing a leather vest and cap with a small shield buckled on one arm and a rapier at his hip.
and
Athletics: 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Wild: 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Result: 5 - Success

George looks to be a cross between a Cat and a Dog, except the size of a small horse. Due to his vibrant and shifting colors, you guess it may be some sort of Fey creature, and has a saddle strapped to its back.
safely make their way onto the boat.

"Greetings. I am Zook, this is George, and that Goblin over there goes by Bonk. From what I was able to gather, the rest of you also have a bone to pick with Gaedren. Zellara sent us here to deal with him. He was the one who framed me and got me thrown out of the Acadamae before I finished my training. Thankfully I had already reached out over to the Fey Lands and brought George over here. Since then, I have been learning on my own how to support him. Bonk, on the other hand, says Gaedren owes him some money. Now the Enemy of my Enemy is not necessarily a friend, but it is a good place to start. I believe she told us there would be... Folderol, Vargan, Berkley, UmpTup, Kaja, and Morri. Both George and Bonk are good in a tussle, and I have a few magical tricks to help out."

"...and Bonk, these people seem to be the other people that Zellara said have personal grievances with Gaedren and were also sent to deal with him. You REALLY need to pay attention to people when they are talking to you. I KNOW you were getting bored, but she told us about them THREE TIMES hoping that at least some of it would stick."
Parry 7, Pace 5 (d4), Toughness 6 (2)
  • Bennies: 2/3
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
    PP: 1/11


Parry 6, Pace 12, Toughness 7 (1)
  • Bennies: 0/2
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
User avatar
Bonk
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Bonk »

”She wouldn’t shut her mouth!” Protested the goblin with the oversized hammer as she slung the hefty thing over her shoulder. ”I kept telling her to just point me in the right direction and she just kept going on and on, then started giving me those stupid cards!” Her exasperated tone resounded across the deck of the boat as Bonk rolled her eyes at Zook.

“And maybe I was waiting to see if they said they were who she said they were, and not some other people who weren’t them but now will say they were cause you said exactly who they were. Ever think about that huh? What if who we were supposed to meet is kissing the fish right now and they got all their clothes on?” Bonk paused for a moment, carefully looking the others over as if really looking at them for the first time.

”Well I guess that’d be a really highly specific-like set of people that look like she said they looked. Also one of them’s got a pig, just like she said.” There followed a long pause as the suspicious eye of Bonk looked over Kaja and Ludwig specifically. ”Aw dammit fine, I guess you’re probably who he says you are.” Came a huff of resignation as she blew out a mouth full of air against the wavy hair that draped just lightly over one of her eyes.

”So does that piece of elf cheese owe you all money too? No wait, don’t answer that, we got work to do before the slippery guy gets away on us.”
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Kaja shoots a look of apology to the other three, despite the fact it was Ludwig who created the racket trying to save her. And then as if to add more drama to the already comedy of errors, a gnome and a goblin show up and its not even their goblin! She watches, head moving back and forth as the two speak and any attempt at stealth is trampled upon. Shaking her head, she replies to the pair. "Well that's the stealthy approach well and done. We'll do proper introductions later. For now I'm Kaja, this is Morri, Falderal, and Berkley. The boar is my best lad Ludwig." She points to each, giving face to each name. "Umptup and Vargan are watching our backs in the warehouse. Now fall in or watch our backs, but we've all already done enough to jeopardize finding him. Bastard is going to pay, one way or the other. Watch your step on the deck, its treacherous."

She glances to Morri. "As soon as you make sure we're not about to walk into any mechanical traps, Berkley and Falderal, and I guess Bonk" she adds questioningly, both at the name and the role suggestion "can lead the way. Ludwig will cover our rear along with the Riding Cat-Dog. We need him alive, at least for now - we need answers." She didn't say anything like she was in charge, but rather in the way one does to remind folks of priorities. "I'm calling on a bit of protective magic, ignore the dust and pebbles, they won't hinder you." She grabs the cane's shaft and pulls it, revealing her rapier.

She chants in a sing song voice in Terran and conducts with her rapier and the canse sword's sheath, as rubble, dust and pebbles rise to obscure and deflect blows from the party.

Performance 1d8!+1: [8!, 4]+1 = 13 , 1d6!+1: [6!, 4]+1 = 11
Deflection
Rank: Novice
Power Points: 2+5 (Additional Targets: Berkley, Falderal, Morri, Bonk, Zook)
Range: Smarts
Duration: 5
School: Abjuration
Trappings: As Kaja sings, bits of stone and dust fly around, both obscuring the recipient and deflecting attacks.
Deflection misdirects incoming melee or missile attacks from the recipient of the power. With success, foes must subtract 2 from either melee or ranged attacks (caster’s choice). With a raise, the penalty applies to both. An attacker who uses a ranged weapon in melee against the recipient suffers the penalty either way.
Modifiers
  • Additional Recipients (+1): The power may affect more than one target for 1 additional Power Point each.
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Falderol is quietly trying to listen at the door as the others climb aboard. First Ludwig slides along the slick deck then an unknown goblin plops down. Not sure who they are Falderol places his hand on his weapon and is about to ask when the gnome and cat/dog/horse thing also hit the deck. Sure it is an ambush Falderol starts to draw his weapon when everyone starts talking. Hearing the stories he relaxes and lightly shakes his head.

"Well, I guess sneaking up on them is out the door. Let's do this."
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

The team, now larger than it was just a few moments before, goes through the door and finds a rickety looking staircase descending down into the ship's hold.

The hold itself is dim (-2 Illumination penalty to Notice rolls, attacks that rely on sight, etc., unless you have a light source or superhuman vision) and dank and smells of mildew. Several barrels, crates, and other containers lie stacked here and there.

Dust and grime cover the floor, except where river water has collected in places in puddles.

Anyone who wishes to may make a Notice roll.
Anyone who gets a 4 on Notice
There are footprints running back and forth from the last step, across the mucky floor, and then directly into the bulkhead.
Within five, maybe ten seconds, you begin to hear chittering sounds. That is all the warning you get before a mass of rat-sized, mottled brown spiders swarms towards you!

AHH! SPIDERS!

Let's have a Notice roll from each of you, please (this is a second Notice roll for anyone who made the optional Notice roll above). Anyone with Danger Sense, you may use that benefit now. REMEMBER TO TAKE THE ILLUMINATION PENALTY INTO ACCOUNT IF IT APPLIES TO YOU. I'm looking at you, humies.

Depending on the result of your Notice roll, you may (or may not) get an Action Card for the combat that is about to begin!
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Bonk
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Bonk »


Success (4)
Notice d4!-1: [4!, 1]-1 = 4
Wild Die d6!-1: [4]-1 = 3


Raise (8)
Notice d4!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild Die d6!-1: [4]-1 = 3
Spending the making Timmy laugh benny
Notice d4!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild Die d6!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Spending a regular benny
Notice d4!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild Die d6!-1: [6!, 3]-1 = 8


Bonk knelt down to examine the strange foot prints as she tried to figure out where exactly they were leading. This sort of thing wasn't exactly her forte, causing her eyes to strain as she finally made sense of it all. Unfortunately this caused her to be distracted enough to not notice the spider creatures waiting in ambush. Just barely leaping backwards on time from them as the creatures barely missed their opportunity to surprise her completely. However whatever it was definitely held the advantage with capturing them unawares during this particular battle.
Last edited by Bonk on Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Zook
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:44 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Zook »

Assist from George
  • Notice at -2 due Illumination
    • Notice: 1d6!!-2!!: [8!!]-2 = 6
      Wild: 1d6!!-2!!: [5]-2 = 3
      Result: -
Zook Notice (+1 due George)
  • Notice: 1d6!!+1!!: [2]+1 = 3
    Wild: 1d6!!+1!!: [3]+1 = 4
    Result: 4 - Success.
    • There are footprints running back and forth from the last step, across the mucky floor, and then directly into the bulkhead.

Notice: 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Wild: 1d6!!: [3] = 3
  • Bennie Reroll
    • Notice: 1d6!!: [1] = 1
      Wild: 1d6!!: [3] = 3
    Bennie Re-Reroll
    • Notice: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
      Wild: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Result: 3 - Failure

Notice at -2 due Illumination
  • Notice: 1d6!!-2!!: [5]-2 = 3
    Wild: 1d6!!-2!!: [5]-2 = 3
    Result: 3 - Failure


With George quietly hissing in Aklo to Zook, the two of them point out the footprints from the last step into the bulkhead and go to investigate the wall. As they look up from the prints, they notice the rat sized spiders almost on them.
Parry 7, Pace 5 (d4), Toughness 6 (2)
  • Bennies: 2/3
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
    PP: 1/11


Parry 6, Pace 12, Toughness 7 (1)
  • Bennies: 0/2
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

1d6!: [5] = 5 , 1d6!: [5] = 5

1d6!: [5] = 5 , 1d6!: [4] = 4

Kaja creeps down the stairs and indeed notices the footsteps and is about to say something when the group is charged!
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Notice 1d6!!+2: [7!!]+2 = 9

Wild 1d6!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Berkley Dig
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Berkley Dig »

Notice: [roll]1d6!!-2[/roll]
Wild: [roll]1d6!!-2[/roll]

Surprise: [roll]1d6!!-2[/roll]
Wild: [roll]1d6!!-2[/roll]

Berkeley doesn't see anything until the spider's are upon them!
Berkley Dig
Berkeley Dig Cleric Parry: 6, Toughness:w/ leather jacket: 07(2);
4 Bennies, 0 Conviction, 0 Wounds, and 0 Fatigue
Beginning 3
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
0 Conviction
  • Expenditures/Gains
Wounds: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls) Fatigue: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls)
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Notice: !rd6: [1] = 1
Wild: !rd6: [3] = 3

Notice: !rd6: [4] = 4
Wild: !rd6: [3] = 3


Did not make the alternate but my low light allows me to no be surprised.
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

SPIDER BITE! SPIDER BITE!

Okay, so after some consideration, instead of having those who failed their surprise Notice rolls sit out the round (which could mean a week with nothing to do), for this combat, we are instead going to treat them as Distracted (i.e., their rolls will be made at -2 for this round). In the future, I will warn you when a surprise round is in play whether your characters will be Distracted or Vulnerable if they fail their Notice rolls - but if they Critically Fail, they will be both Distracted and Vulnerable! Insert suitably evil GM cackle here.

Here’s how initiative will work: I’m going to draw Action Cards for each character and for each baddie (in this case, there is but one baddie: a mess of spiders who will act together to try to ruin your collective day). Anyone whose card is higher than the bad guy may go in a block in any order. Then, the bad guys will go. Finally, anyone whose Action Card is lower than the bad guys will get to go.

When I draw cards for initiative, I use a deck with 4 Jokers, but I reshuffle it pretty much every time (I have a physical deck of cards I use for all my games, so keeping it unshuffled between rounds is not an option).

If you have any questions, ask them in Discord and I’ll answer as best I can.

INITIATIVE ORDER

Kaja: KH
Bonk: JD
Morri: 9D
Berkley (Distracted): 9C
Zook (Distracted): 6S
Falderol: 4H
Spiders: 3C

So everyone will go before the spiders in any order you choose. Huh. I'll look for faster spiders next time!

WHAT DO I KNOW ABOUT THESE SPIDERS, ANYWAY?

Everyone can know the following things about the spiders:
  • The spiders move as a group and take up a Medium Blast Template (meaning they can target up to 3 of you at a time once (if?) their turn rolls around)
  • Their Parry is 4
  • Their Toughness is 7
If you’d like to know more, you’ll need to make a Survival roll. Depending on your level of success, read one of the two below spoilers:
Success on Survival
These are Drain Spiders. They are very aggressive and their bites inflict Mild poison. If bitten, a victim must make an immediate Vigor roll, becoming Fatigued (-1 to all rolls) on a failure or Exhausted (-2 on all rolls) on a Critical Failure. The spiders’ venom cannot cause Incapacitation.
Raise on Survival
Uh oh! When Drain Spiders get together like this, they form a swarm. Swarms get +2 to recover from being Shaken and cutting and piercing weapons do no real damage. Area effect weapons work normally, and a character can stomp to inflict his damage in Strength each round. When wounded, this swarm becomes two smaller swarms. Reduce the Blast Template one size after a Wound; Small swarms are destroyed. Swarms inflict hundreds of tiny bites every round to their victims, hitting automatically and causing 2d4 damage to everyone in the template. Damage is applied to the least armored location.
IT’S THEATER… OF THE MIND!

You are all nice and cozy there in the hold of the ship with these things, so let us assume everyone is within their Pace of the spider swarm but no one is yet adjacent to it (i.e., no attacks of opportunity if you move away).
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Bonk
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Bonk »


Survival roll
Success (4)
Survival 1d4!: [3] = 3
Wild Die 1d6!: [4] = 4


Bonking the spiders with her maul
Raise (17)
10 Damage

Fighting 1d10!: [10!, 7] = 17
Wild Die 1d6!: [6!, 4] = 10
Maul Raise Damage 1d8!+1d10!+1d6!: [1]+[8]+[1] = 10


Bonk’s official job was with the Korvosan Sanitation Department as a freelance rat catcher. Which meant she didn’t know a damn thing about spiders. But she figured enough at least that they were probably venomous, unlike their furry disease ridden counterparts. Fortunately, or rather unfortunately these huge things were about the same size as rats, which led the goblin into resorting to pretty much the only tactic she knew anything about. Namely charging forward and beating the crap out of as many things as possible in rapid succession with her oversized hammer.

“Alright everyone, lets do this quick and quiet. Don’t do nuthin to draw attention to yourselves, okay?” Bonk advised before leaping forward and suddenly bashing piles of spiders all around her as loudly and as violently as possible. With each splat, they closed in on her as piles of gooish ichor flayed about in every direction, heading towards her companions before they were thankfully spared from the gore by the nimbus of rocks and dust that surrounded them.

“Where the friggen crap did they get so many?? This..” She smashed the floor boards loudly, causing them to break and spliter. “Is…” Again another smash “Total bullcrap! Get away from me!!” She shouted at the swarm that seemed to endlessly pour towards her. Seeming to have severely miscalculated her ability to beat them to death en masse. (But she was pretty certain they were being quiet at least)
Last edited by Bonk on Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Survival 9
Survival (Unskilled) 1d4!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-2: [11!!]-2 = 9
Fighting 7, Damage 8
Fighting 1d8!!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7

Damage 1d6!!: [8!!] = 8
"Smash the blighters!" Morri called out a warning when she realised what they were up against. "Blades are useless here!"

As if to demonstrate her point, the little redheaded rogue ran in and started stomping the closest swam with her feet.
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

Damage Stuff
One Shaken result and then a second Shaken for a Wound! The swarm spent a WC Benny to attempt a Soak, but failed.


Bonk and Morri stomp and smash their way through an inordinate number of spiders!

The Medium Blast Template splits into two Small Blast Templates that continue towards the group.

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Common Knowledge: !rd6: [4] = 4
Wild: !rd6: [5] = 5

Free re-roll with Monster Lore
Common Knowledge: !rd6: [4] = 4
Wild: !rd6: [6] = 6 ?? Did not ace? !d6: [1] = 1

Dang, still no raise.


Fighting: !d6: [3] = 3
Wild: !d6: [2] = 2


"Try to not let them bite you. They knock their pray out before feasting." Falderol starts stomping around but does not smash may of the vermin. He takes a few legs off but that does not really slow them down with seven more. "Little buggers are quick!"
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Zook
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:44 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Zook »

Survival (-2 due Distracted)
  • Survival: 1d4!!-2!!: [2]-2 = 0
    Wild: 1d6!!-2!!: [3]-2 = 1
    Result: -

Casting Boost Trait -Vigor(-2 due Distracted)
  • Spellcasting: 1d8!!-2!!: [2]-2 = 0
    Wild: 1d6!!-2!!: [5]-2 = 3
    Result: 3 - Failure. Spent 1 PP.

Fighting (-2 due Distracted, +2 due Wild Attack... so net no penalty)
  • Fighting: 1d8!!: [5] = 5
    Wild: 1d6!!: [11!!] = 11
    Result: 11 - Success with Raise.
    • Damage: 1d8!!: [1] = 1 + 1d6!!: [1] = 1 (Raise) +2 (Wild Attack) = 4?!?
      • Bennie Reroll
        • Damage: 1d8!!: [4] = 4 + 1d6!!: [15!!] = 15 (Raise) + 2 (Wild Attack) = 21 - 3 Wounds


Summoning his magic to fortify himself, George, and his new allies... unsuccessfully, Zook sends George after the spiders. Listening to @Morri, George jumps into one of the swarms and the pony-sized Cat-Dog Fae hybrid starts rolling around; squishing the spiders under his bulk.
Parry 7, Pace 5 (d4), Toughness 6 (2)
  • Bennies: 2/3
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
    PP: 1/11


Parry 6, Pace 12, Toughness 7 (1)
  • Bennies: 0/2
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

Soak 2 Wounds, 1 left
Spent both its WC bennies and soaked 2 of the wounds. It is now benny-less and hurt.
George squishes a significant number of spiders, and several of the remaining swarm have broken, twisted, or missing legs.

Of course, now he also has spider guts all over him.

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Berkley Dig
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Berkley Dig »

Berkeley rolls a 3 (-2) = 1 and a 5 (-2) = 3 on his fighting roll. He's unsuccessful at smashing many spiders, either!
Berkley Dig
Berkeley Dig Cleric Parry: 6, Toughness:w/ leather jacket: 07(2);
4 Bennies, 0 Conviction, 0 Wounds, and 0 Fatigue
Beginning 3
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
0 Conviction
  • Expenditures/Gains
Wounds: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls) Fatigue: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls)
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Survival 1d4!-2: [2]-2 = 0 , 1d6!-2: [2]-2 = 0


Not knowing what to do about the spiders, Kaja opts that simple creatures should react to terror in predictable ways. Singing in terran, she calls out to a nearby elemental who forms in the ballast of the ship and flows up through the floorboards and
Performance 1d8!+1: [7]+1 = 8 , 1d6!+1: [2]+1 = 3

Power Points: 2+2+1= 5 PP
Range: Smarts
Trappings: An earth elemental engulfs the foe, showing the fear of the grave. Though it lasts only a moment, it feels like an eternity.
This power causes overwhelming dread and horror in a Medium Blast Template, ignoring allies. The target makes a Fear check at -2. Extras who fail are Panicked and Wild Cards roll on the Fear Table and add +2 to the result.
Modifiers
Area of Effect (+2): For +2 points the power affects everyone in a Small or Medium Blast Template (caster's choice).
Selective (+1): Ignore Allies
. And just as quick as it came, the elemental fades and the spiders are left covered in bits of ballast dust. Ludwig darts in to eat a few spider carcases once the ballast clears away.
Fighting 1d6!: [3] = 3
.
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

SPIDERS’ TURN
Spider Rolls
Swarm 1 vs fear gets a 4 after the -2. Saves.

Swarm 2 gets a 5 after the -2, but spends a WC Benny in the process. Saves, but now down a Benny.
The spiders scatter and are disoriented by the sudden appearance of an elemental, but they recover quickly!

Each of the little swarms can only affect 2 of you at a time, so let’s roll to see who gets bit:

Swarm 1
Kaja (1), Ludwig (2), Berkley (3), Look (4), George (5), Falderal (6), Morri (7), Bonk (8)

Roll 2d8 = 7, 6
Morri and Falderal, biting incessantly with their tiny mandibles! Each of you takes
2d4
damage (which ignores armor) and must make a Vigor save or
See Mild poison on p.155 of PFSW
.

Swarm 2
Kaja (1), Ludwig (2), Berkley (3), Zook (4), George (5), Falderal (6), Morri (7), Bonk (8)

Roll 2d8 = 1, 4
Kaja and Zook, who each also take
2d4
damage (which ignores armor) and must make Vigor rolls or
See Mild poison on p.155 of PFSW
.


Initiative:

Kaja: 10H
Berkley: 10D
Zook: 6C
Falderal: AD
Morri: 7D
Bonk: 3C
Swarm 1 (1 Wound, 0 Bennies): JH
Swarm 2 (0 Wounds, 1 Benny): 3H

FALDERAL IS UP! You are the only one who beat the spiders' initiative, so you go first. Once you have gone (or a couple days have passed), the spiders will go, and then everyone else can go in any order.

Falderal: At Bat
Spiders: On Deck
Rest of Party: In the Hole

url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewforum.php?f=449]Image[/url]
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Zook
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:44 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Zook »

On Zook, 5 Damage makes him Shaken. Zook will spend a Bennie if he is attacked by the spiders, but otherwise will wait.

Save vs. Poison
  • Vigor: 1d6!!: [4] = 4
    Wild: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
    Result: 4 - Success. No effect from the Poison.


As the spiders swarm over him, Zook starts flinching and trying to shake them off.

"Get them off, get them off, SOMEBODY GET THEM OFF ME!!!"
Parry 7, Pace 5 (d4), Toughness 6 (2)
  • Bennies: 2/3
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
    PP: 1/11


Parry 6, Pace 12, Toughness 7 (1)
  • Bennies: 0/2
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

UPDATE: The spider bites ignore all armor, so please do not factor in any armor bonus when calculating whether you take a wound or get shook.

Zook did it right.

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Damage vs Toughness 5; Shaken
Vigor vs Poison: 1d6!!: [4] = 4 , 1d6!!: [1] = 1


Kaja has a beautiful singing voice and can be quite erudite and composed when she chooses to be. The string of curses that spills out of her mouth in every language she knows, including a few in terran, is enough to make a sailor blush. The focus is both demands and pleas that urge the arachnids retreat as she pats at them, trying to squish them.
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

A note about that spider poison: It has been brought to my attention that the spider poison only affects your characters if you are shaken or worse by the spider bites. If you are not at least shaken, you can skip the Vigor roll.

As you were!

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Falderol feels lots of spiders crawling up his legs, and even a few
Toughness without armor is 6 so no damage.
, but he is able to ignore all of that. "I don't have much that can squash these things. Anyone got a spell that will do something?" He then starts trying to
Support for whoever casts the first AOE spell
Athletics: 1d6!: [4] = 4
Wild: 1d6!: [4] = 4
+1 to "spellcasting"
into a smaller area so the spell will be more effective
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Vigor 9
Vigor 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Spirit to Remove Shaken 5
Spirit 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Morri felt the stinging bites of the spiders, though to thanks to a childhood spent in the city's gutters she had a reasonable constitution and shrugged off the worst of the spiders' poison. Once again she went onto the offensive, stomping away again with her feet to crush the arachnids.

FIghting 14, Damage 9
FIghting 1d8!!: [14!!] = 14
WIld 1d6!!: [5] = 5

Damage 2d6!!: [8!!, 1] = 9
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

Resolving the Spiders’ Actions before Morri’s

The spiders will go before Morri, then Morri’s actions will “happen”, and then everyone else may post in any order. Sound good? Good.

As before, We're going to roll to see whom the spiders swarm. Let's see who is up!
Swarm 1 Attacks Zook and Bonk for 4 Damage (Ignores Armor)
Kaja (1), Ludwig (2), Berkley (3), Zook (4), George (5), Falderal (6), Morri (7), Bonk (8)

Roll 2d8 = 4, 8

Damage: 4 damage, ignores armor. If that shakes or wounds you, make a Vigor roll or take a level of Fatigue, too.
Swarm 2 Attacks Morri and Berkley for 7 Damage (Ignores Armor)
Kaja (1), Ludwig (2), Berkley (3), Zook (4), George (5), Falderal (6), Morri (7), Bonk (8)

Roll 2d8 = 7, 3

Damage: 7 damage, ignores armor. If that shakes or wounds you, make a Vigor roll or take a level of Fatigue, too.
The spiders continue swarming over the group, biting and crawling!

Kaja and Falderol, in addition to your normal turns this round, you may also take free attacks on the spider swarms as they break melee with you to pursue other targets.

Morri, please resolve damage from the spiders' attack.

Everyone else, you may now post in any order. If anyone has an area of effect attack, now might be a good time to use it...

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Zook
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:44 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Zook »

Zook is spending a Bennie when attacked, as said in the last post. The 4 Damage now makes him Shaken again.
  • Poison roll
    • Vigor: 1d6!!: [4] = 4
      Wild: 1d6!!: [5] = 5 Result: 5 - Success. Poison has no effect.
Spirit Roll to Un-Shake
  • Spirit: 1d6!!: [3] = 3
    Wild: 1d6!!: [5] = 5
    Result: 5 - Success. Un-Shaken.
Zook is now using Boost Trait (Vigor) on all 6 PC's and George to help against Poison and generally toughen all of us up
  • Spellcasting: 1d8!!: [6] = 6
    Wild: 1d6!!: [5] = 5
    Result: 6 - Success. All 6 PC's and George now have a 1 die improvement to Vigor. 7 PP.
George will Wild Attack the Spider Swarm again
  • Fighting (+2 due Wild Attack)
    • Fighting: 1d8!!+2!!: [1]+2 = 3
      Wild: 1d6!!+2!!: [2]+2 = 4
      Result: 4 - Hit. Damage: 1d8!!+2!!: [15!!]+2 = 17
- 2 Wounds.


Still having problems with all the spiders still biting him, Zook is able to hold it together long enough to say the Eldritch Invocations to draw upon the First Realm that was his race's ancestral home and change his five new friends as well as himself and George to make all of them all a little bit tougher. Meanwhile, George starts to roll even more vigorously, squishing even more of the spiders and covering itself with even more of their slimy ichor.

"Don't worry... these changes are just a temporary gift from the First Realm. It will fade all too soon."
Last edited by Zook on Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Parry 7, Pace 5 (d4), Toughness 6 (2)
  • Bennies: 2/3
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
    PP: 1/11


Parry 6, Pace 12, Toughness 7 (1)
  • Bennies: 0/2
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
User avatar
Bonk
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Bonk »


5 toughness without armor vs 4 damage from swarm, no effect from bites
Wild Attack +2, Two actions -2 MAP. Total Modifiers: 0

9 vs 4 Parry. Raise.
26 Damage vs 7 Toughness. Success and 4 raises. 4 potential wounds on Swarm 1.
Fighting 1d10!: [9] = 9
Wild Die 1d6!: [3] = 3
Raise Damage 1d8!+1d10!+1d6!+2: [1]+[10!, 8]+[5]+2 = 26

8 vs 4 Parry. Raise.
25 Damage vs 7 Toughness. Success and 4 raises. 4 potential wounds on Swarm 2.
Fighting 1d10!: [8] = 8
Wild Die 1d6!: [1] = 1
Raise Damage 1d8!+1d10!+1d6!+2: [2]+[10!, 9]+[2]+2 = 25

OOC: Bonk is now Vulnerable

Once the spiders had gotten into the small crevasses of her armor, Bonk decided that she had had enough. All hesitation and regard for her own defense went out the window as she started wildly swinging her massive hammer around rapidly and without any sort of elegance onto every single spider that she could see.

“I’ma turn you all into squishy blek n’ stuff a gunked up ball of your corpses so far up the asshole of whoever put you here that I’m gonna feel the back of his teeth!!!” The rough shod goblin screamed out, seeming to just barely hold together as spider guts and pieces of boat went flying about in every direction, splattering everyone and everything around them in the process. All things considered, given her tough skin and large bludgeoning weapon, she seemed well suited to fighting these sorts of things. It seemed as though she just needed the proper motivation to let loose on them.

It was only after she was done with her barrage that the others might notice that Bonk suddenly cupped her mouth with a gore covered hand and started to breathe heavily, her pupils starting to dilate while her arms twitched and spasmed. The small goblin seemed to be fighting something within herself, and thus far was managing to hold on by a thread. Either that or she might very soon decide to projectile vomit on her closest companion.
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

George, Bonk, and Morrie obliterate the remaining spiders, sending guts and insectoid body parts flying in every direction.

After the brief but very violent encounter, the relative quiet is deafening. The waves lap against the hull of the decrepit boat just a little too loudly, and you have to imagine that anyone occupying any other part of the ship probably heard that.

Moving to the bulkhead that @Bonk, @Zook, and @Kaja Earthblooded previously investigated, the team finds a secret door!

Sliding it aside, you see a narrow space under the Old Fishery, with about three feet of room between the floor of the eastern side of the building and the languid, foamy river water below.

Wooden pilings support the building, and thick mats of moss and cobwebs hang from ropes and rusted chains between them.

A wooden walkway floats on the river’s surface, winding along the inner wall of pilings that supports the building’s frame above. The walkway leads from the sodden ship to the east all the way west to a small two-and-a-half-foot-square door that leads into an understructure below the fishery’s land-bound half.

The pilings below this understructure are densely arrayed, leaving only narrow gaps into the water below that area.

EVERYONE: Please make an Athletics roll to traverse the slick walkway back to the building.

Optional: You may also make a Notice roll, should you so desire.

Image

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Athletics: 1d6!: [5] = 5
Wild: 1d6~: [5] = 5


Notice: 1d6!: [1] = 1
Wild: 1d6!: [4] = 4


Falderol points vaguely in the direction of those covered with spider goo. "You may want to clean some of that off before we go on. I know their venom can be a problem I have no idea what the other bits may do." He then walks over to the hidden door and looks at the passage. "Hmm. Normally I would ask to go first but that looks a bit small for me. Perhaps our smaller members should go first as they would be unhindered and I will follow them."

After the little ones go Falderol quickly follows, as best he can. He keeps his feet despite the poor construction and is able to look around a bit as well.


Falderol shrugs and takes the lead. In spite of the poor construction he is able to keep his feet as he advances, keeping an eye out for any additional surprises.
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Pursuit wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:22 pm Resolving the Spiders’ Actions before Morri’s

The spiders will go before Morri, then Morri’s actions will “happen”, and then everyone else may post in any order. Sound good? Good.
Swarm 2 Attacks Morri and Berkley for 7 Damage (Ignores Armor)
Kaja (1), Ludwig (2), Berkley (3), Zook (4), George (5), Falderal (6), Morri (7), Bonk (8)

Roll 2d8 = 7, 3

Damage: 7 damage, ignores armor. If that shakes or wounds you, make a Vigor roll or take a level of Fatigue, too.
The spiders continue swarming over the group, biting and crawling!

Kaja and Falderol, in addition to your normal turns this round, you may also take free attacks on the spider swarms as they break melee with you to pursue other targets.

Morri, please resolve damage from the spiders' attack.

Everyone else, you may now post in any order. If anyone has an area of effect attack, now might be a good time to use it...
Least armoured would make Morri's Toughness 4, enough to Shake but not to Wound.

Easiest and laziest thing is to spend a Bennie. :P
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Zook
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:44 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Zook »

Athletics
  • Zook
    • Athletics: 1d4!!: [2] = 2
      Wild: 1d6!!: [3] = 3
      Result: 3 - Fail.
    George
    • Athletics: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
      Wild: 1d6!!: [3] = 3
      • Bennie Reroll
        • Athletics: 1d6!!: [1] = 1
          Wild: 1d6!!: [1] = 1
      Result: 1 - Crit Fail.
Notice
  • George Assisting
    • Notice: 1d6!!: [4] = 4
      Wild: 1d6!!: [4] = 4
      Result: 4 - Success. +1 to Zook's Notice
    Zook
    • Notice: 1d6!!+1!!: [2]+1 = 3
      Wild: 1d6!!+1!!: [7!!]+1 = 8
      Result: 8 - Success with Raise.


Maybe the spider ichor is to blame, but as Zook and George make their way back across the slippery walkway, George's large paws start skidding off the edge and in its efforts cause Zook to also be dumped into the water.

SPLASH!!!

"Guys, we could use some help here... Hey, what's that?!?!?"
Last edited by Zook on Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Parry 7, Pace 5 (d4), Toughness 6 (2)
  • Bennies: 2/3
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
    PP: 1/11


Parry 6, Pace 12, Toughness 7 (1)
  • Bennies: 0/2
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
User avatar
Bonk
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Bonk »


Notice 4, Success
Notice 1d4!-1: [4!, 1]-1 = 4
Wild Die 1d6!-1: [5]-1 = 4

Athletics 4, Success
Athletics 1d8!: [3] = 3
Wild Die 1d6!: [4] = 4


Several deep breaths later, Bonk ends up recovering from whatever it was she was experiencing after disposing of the spiders in a gruesome way, following along while she shook off the rest of her daze.

“Who puts a secret door on a boat?” Bonk asked no one in particular as she followed Zook out of the doorway. Stopping at the last second before putting her foot down as the gnome and his pet go tumbling over the edge. After that she somewhat more cautiously puts her feet down on the slippery planks than she had originally intended and scurries up to the edge, grabbing the length of rope off of her pack and throwing one end into the water as she took hold of the other.

“Now look at watcha gone and done, grab hold here! Someone help out yeah? I ain’t strong enough to pull him n’ the catdog up at once!”
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Athletics 4 (ignore +2 from Free Runner)
Atheltics 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!+2: [4]+2 = 6
Notice 15
Notice 1d6!!+2: [13!!]+2 = 15
Wild 1d6!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Though the walkway was slippery, Morri navigated it with relative ease. A lifetime of clambering over rain-slick roof tiles had instilled in her a sure-fire confidence in her footing, enabling her to pass over the most perilous of obstacles without worry. She was also very observant which helped in allowing to avoid troublesome patches and spotting things that others may have missed.
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

George and Zook go tumbling into the water with a loud “SPLASH!”
Bennies for Zook and George
Both George and Zook get a Benny. Good RP, and I like to give bennies out for crit fails when I remember to do it.
Both Zook and Morri see a disturbance in the waters. And the disturbance seems to be moving rather quickly towards the group.

And the disturbance appears to be… oh, shit. The disturbance has fins!

Three human-sized sharks with distinctly jagged markings speed towards Zook and George.
Success on a Survival Check
These are jigsaw sharks! They are common in these waters, so you know everything from their stat block:

Type: Neutral Animal (Shark) Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d4 (A), Spirit d6,

Strength d8, Vigor d6 Skills: Athletics d8, Fighting d8, Notice d8, Stealth d8

Parry: 6; Toughness: 7 (1)

„ Armor +1: Rubbery hide.

„ Aquatic: Pace 10.

„ Bite: Str+d4, AP 2.

„ Blindsense: Ignores invisibility and all Illumination penalties.

„ Size 1: Jigsaw sharks get up to 8 feet long and weigh several hundred pounds.
The sharks are about 10” away, and initiative is upon us!

Zook/George: Black Joker! Everyone gets a Benny, and Zook gets a +2 to his actions this turn.

Sharks: 9H

Morri: 4S
Bonk: 9D
Falderol: 2D
Kaja: 8C
Berkley: 3C

Zook may choose to either go first or to wait until after the sharks; I would guess he’d prefer to go first, but far be it from me to take away player choice. :)

Once Zook has either taken their turn or deferred, the sharks will go, and then everyone else will go as a block in any order.

@Kaja and @Berkley, I still need Athletics rolls for you two to keep your feet on the slick walkway. If you fail, you start this round in the drink with Zook and George!

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Zook
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:44 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Zook »

Athletics to Swim and Climb up to Safety(+2 due Joker)
  • Athletics: 1d4!!+2!!: [5!!]+2 = 7
    Wild: 1d6!!+2!!: [5]+2 = 7
    Result: 7 - Success.
Note: All PC's still have +1d to Vigor

Athletics to Swim and Climb up to Safety
  • Athletics: 1d6!!: [4] = 4
    Wild: 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9
    Result: 9 - Success with Raise.


"SHARKS!!!"

Seeing the three sharks incoming, Zook starts windmilling his arms, somehow able to make a decent amount of speed swimming before he scrambles up onto the walkway near the building. George, on the other hand, is able to paddle its way gracefully to the walkway before scrambling up near Zook.

"Careful, everyone, those sharks look big enough to consider me a snack before they make their way to the main course."
Parry 7, Pace 5 (d4), Toughness 6 (2)
  • Bennies: 2/3
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
    PP: 1/11


Parry 6, Pace 12, Toughness 7 (1)
  • Bennies: 0/2
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Kaja Athletics 1d4!!: [5!!] = 5 , 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Kaja Notice 1d6!!: [2] = 2 , 1d6!!: [2] = 2 ; Benny 1d6!!: [5] = 5 , 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Ludwig Athletics 1d6!!: [3] = 3

Kaja manages to keep her footing, but poor Ludwig slips and slides and ends up in the drink near George. The boar ends up paddling in a circle trying to catch its bearing.

----------------------------------------------
Seeing the danger from the sharks, Kaja reaches out with her voice, singing in Terran as rocks and wood pelt the sharks as they try to close in on Ludwig. At first her voice falters, but then it reaches a
(Fling Stones -0 PP) Performance 1d8+1!!: [2]+1 = 3 , 1d6+1!!: [1]+1 = 2 Damage: 2d4!!: [3, 1] = 4
Benny: 1d8+1!!: [8]+1 = 9 , 1d6+1!!: [6]+1 = 7 , 2d4!!: [5!!, 6!!] = 11 + 1d6!!: [4] = 4
and the stones streak out to the lead one (or the one that hits Ludwig) (hitting with a raise for 15)

Ludwig (Toughness: 7 (1); Parry: 5) Attacks with tusks and hooves (
Fighting 1d6!!: [17!!] = 17 Damage: 1d10!!: [2] = 2 + 1d4!!: [3] = 3 + 1d6!!: [3] = 3
)and then
Athletics 1d6!!: [2] = 2
to swim for shore but flounders.
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

The water fills with violence and blood, making bodies out of two of the three sharks.

The third, however, is driven to a frenzy. It rushes Ludwig and clamps down on his hindquarters, trying to drag him down!

The number to beat is 4, otherwise (i) he will be Entangled (cannot move and becomes Distracted), and (ii) he will need another Athletics roll (this time with a TN of 14) to avoid being pulled under…
!

Notes:
  • I rolled Athletics for @Berkley Dig, and he kept his footing.
  • Once @Kaja Earthblooded has resolved the Athletics rolls for Ludwig, the rest of the party will be up. No pressure there, Patrick…
Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Ludwig Athletics 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

The rest of the party may now act in any order you choose!

You have one Ludwig in the water with one frenzied shark. How will you help your suidae companion?!

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Bonk
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Bonk »


Intending to lasso the pig to safety!
Failure (3) but possibly some support could do it!
Athletics 1d8!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Wild Die 1d6!-2: [5]-2 = 3


Seeing that the rope she had thrown down for Zook had gone unused, Bonk gritted her teeth and started frantically tying a knot around it in order to make a quick and dirty lasso, yelling angrily down at the shark who was snapping its jaws at Ludwig.

“Hey!! That’s Kaja’s dinner that she was gonna share with ME!!” The goblin barked viciously at the fish that was trying to eat her future meal before she could. Spinning the rope above her head with the deft grace that only a hungry goblin could muster, she expertly threw the lasso and snared the top half of the struggling pig.

“Aw yeh! Gotcha!” She screamed out triumphantly. Though the victory was short lived, as the frantically struggling creature started swimming in every direction in order to get away from the predator that was after it, causing it to yank itself away quick and pull Bonk along with it, the barbarian falling to her stomach and slowly getting pulled forward as she tried with her all might to hang on to the rope.

“Crap crap crap! Little help here!!!” Came a squeak from her lips as she flailed her legs and hooked them around a jutting pillar, thankfully halting her descent into the drink, but not helping with getting the familiar out of the water either.
Last edited by Bonk on Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Athletics - Shark Distraction 5
Athletics 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2

Bennie....

Athletics 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5

Shark needs to roll opposed roll vs TN 5.
Morri never really had much to do with water, she was content to stay at rooftop level as much as possible, and with sharks present she wasn't particularly going to plunge straight in to rescue any of her recently acquired associates. She also lacked a ranged weapon, so her options were fairly limited. However, she did spy a loose piece of wood and an idea began to form in her mind. If she used the wood to repeatedly splash the water, she might distract the shark...but she wouldn't be putting herself directly in harm's way.
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

The Shark rolls a 2. @Morri: is the Shark Distracted or Vulnerable?

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Pursuit wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:24 pm The Shark rolls a 2. @Morri: is the Shark Distracted or Vulnerable?

Image
Vulnerable please.
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

All rolls against the Shark are made at +2. Good job, @Morri!

What is the rest of the team doing?
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

You made it past the dangerous part, so we are hand waiving the rest to avoid slowing down.

Once the entire party is back on the comparative safety of the walkway, you continue forward. You find a small, 2-1/2 foot door leading from the underpier back into the fishery.

Anyone who would like to may make me a Thievery roll to unlock the door quietly. If no one makes a Thievery check (simple success), I am going to assume to simply force the door open. Rotted as it is, it does not take much to open it, and it gives way relatively easily. It is a bit on the loud side, though.

Upon re-entering the fishery, now at a lower level than you've yet encountered, this is what you see:

The air in this large room is chilly and stinks of the river, thanks to a huge opening in the floor that drops away to the river shore three feet below. Several pilings emerge from the waters to support the roof eight feet above the floor, with mossy ropes slung between them.

In two places, rusty manacles hang from the ropes over the water. Two five-foot-wide walkways cross the hole to the other side of the chamber, where a collection of old cabinets, lockboxes, and piles of clutter are strewn about.

Chipped porcelain plates, a cracked goblet, badly rusted silverware, an old wooden shield with a crossbow bolt embedded in it, the odd dinged helm, and other “treasures” litter the floor of this side of the chamber.

Three tables heaped with clutter stand amid this mess. In the southwest corner, a wooden door provides access to a walled off section.

Sitting at one of the tables, his back to you, is the unmistakable form of one Gaedren Lamm, the foul man whose past misdeeds brought you all together! He appears to be sorting through the clutter, methodically checking each piece.


Head over to Tableplop and arrange yourselves in the room where you would like to be (link here: https://new.tableplop.com/campaigns/94227/details)

"Huh. Heard a ruckus up top," comes a raspy, weak voice from Gaedren. "Was wonderin' if you'd show up here."

NOW IS THE CHANCE FOR SOME RP AND TO POSITION YOURSELVES. PLEASE NO ONE TAKE ANY ACTIONS OTHER THAN THAT, AS WE WILL GET TO ACTION CARDS AND INITIATIVE SHORTLY!

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Bonk
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Bonk »

Rage boiled up in Bonk as she saw Gaedren simply sitting there like he owned the place! … Well it was probably because he did own the place, but he looked really smug for someone who just had a group of people coming after him.

Hoisting the oversized hammer that she held straight outwards like it weighed next to nothing (and nearly bumping Morri off into the drink in the process), she suddenly shouted out. “Where’s my money Gaedren?? I want my money! Give me my gods damned money! Where is it Gaedren? Huh huh? Where’s my money!?” Came the sudden incessant screaming from behind the waifish rogue, which was nearly concealed entirely by her due to their size differences. The goblin seeming to continue in an unending tirade without even giving the old man a chance to even reply properly.

“Aw dammit yer in the way Morri! Lemmie just… Push a little.. Woah, whups. Wait, no don’t move or you’re gonna fall in, just… ugh damn! You can’t see it right now Gaedren but I’m real angry right now and got a real angry face on right now, you’d better believe it!”
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Thievery 13
Thievery 1d8!!+1: [12!!]+1 = 13
Wild 1d6!!+1: [5]+1 = 6
"Lemme try." Morri says, gesturing to the door as she begins to pull out her tools. The lock, though rusty from the sea air, gave way with little effort and the door opened quietly. She wasn't exactly in a rush to go charging in, so she was more than happy for the others to head in first. If anything, it offered her the opportunity to study the possible battleground and possibly spy routes she can take advantage of.
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Performance 1d8!!+1: [6]+1 = 7 , 1d6!!+1: [4]+1 = 5
Notice 1d6!!: [5] = 5 , 1d6!!: [5] = 5

Notice 1d6!!: [10!!] = 10


"Well of course we showed up Gaedron. You're going to pay for every soul you've murdered, every life you've stolen or ended, every single sin you've committed will be visited on you or your corpse. And I will smile as I personally gouge out your eyes for what you did to the best man I've ever met. And then I will feed you to my friend here, so as not to allow even your body to polute this world any longer." She delivers this with a cold malice and practiced ease. Its clear she has thought often what she would say when she came face to face with him. Her voice has a sing song quality to it and whether she realizes or not, the dirt and mud in the room seem to vibrate in response to her, as if shaking with the cold fury in her soul.

Ludwig, for his part, bristles wildly, and is focused on something he smells or sees. He also stands protectively in front of his mistress as she stalks around to the side away from the others.
Last edited by Kaja Earthblooded on Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Zook
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:44 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Zook »

Sending George past both Falderol and Berkley, Zook has had enough of Gaedren.

"You framed George and I for MURDER! Gaedren, you RUINED my life. They kicked me out of the Acadamae because of you... I almost got sent to prison because of you. That ruckus that you heard is only a start of what we will be doing to you. You have pissed off quite a few of people here and we all want to 'Thank' you for what you have done to us."
Parry 7, Pace 5 (d4), Toughness 6 (2)
  • Bennies: 2/3
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
    PP: 1/11


Parry 6, Pace 12, Toughness 7 (1)
  • Bennies: 0/2
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Falderol steps forward and with a growl in his voice speaks. "You took the ring, even if it is likely you only got a silver for it, I understand. That is your 'business'. But did you have to take her life? HER EYES?! There was no reason for such base cruelty. And such should not exist in this world." He then draws his sword and readies his shield.
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

Gaedren looks back at the group of you, apparent disinterest on his face, before cracking a wide smile.

”Well, would you look at that! I cannot imagine how a group like you all got together. And is that Bonk I hear back there somewhere?”

INITIATIVE!

- Zook: Black Joker
- Falderol: KH
- Bonk: KD
- Gaedren: 9S
- Kaja: 8S
- Morri: 5D

Zook pulled a black joker, so everyone gets a benny!

Zook, Falderol, and Bonk may go first in any order. Once you three have posted, I will post for Gaedren, and after that Kaja and Morri may go. Berkley has gone silent on us, so I removed his token from combat to de-clutter things a bit.

Anyone may attempt an optional Notice check at -2. If you succeed,
You see something stirring in the water in the middle of this room, but you can’t quite make out what.
. If you get a raise,
There is a crocodile in the water! And it looks to be heading towards the northern walkway with purpose.
.

Gaedren Key Stats
Parry: 5, Toughness: 7. Considered unarmed this round, so melee attacks against him get a +2 to hit (see page 141 of PFSW Core Rulebook for unarmed defender rules).

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Pursuit »

Adding @Berkley Dig back in:

Action Card: 9C


Berkley may act in the group after Gaedren takes his turn (for ties in initiative, you go in reverse alphabetical order, as in poker).
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 2. The Old Fishery

Post by Morri »

Notice 5
Notice 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Morri glanced about the room, trying to spy whether there were rafters that were climbable that she could use to get across the room and get at Gaedren from a different angle. Moment in the water caught her eye, was that a...fin? No, more like the tip of a tail of something that most certainly had scales. It was hard to make out what it was, but she could hazard a guess that it was more than unfriendly.

"Steer clear o' the water..." She warned the others. "Something there doesn't look friendly."
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Post Reply

Return to “Adventures”