Into the Western Wastes

User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Into the Western Wastes

Post by Tribe of One »

0ei65YR.jpg
As so often happens, the day began with no hint of the chaos to come.

The stillness was suffocating, not even a whisper of a breeze to relieve the boiling heat. Despite the shade it offered, the confines of the massive, creaking argossy were even more oppressive. Packed with passengers, trade goods and fodder for the outriders' crodlu, the fortress-sized trade coach stunk worse than the slums of Tyr. It was preferable outdoors, even with no wind and sand as hot as a baker's oven.

Flying under the banner of House Sysra, the caravan had set out from Balic three weeks ago. Andris, the leader of the beleaguered trading house, had poured what wealth remained in its coffers in one final expedition, filling the argossy's hold with goods he planned to sell to allies in House Wavir, which had recently established a new outpost near the the Ringing Mountains between its existing Outpost 10 and the fortified gold mines of Walis. From there, the expedition would continue northwest into the uncharted highlands, littered with ruins and rumors of cannibal tribes and other loathsome creatures. What Andris plans to find or do there he has shared with no one, only hinting at great wealth to be had for anyone who agrees to journey on from the Wavir outpost.

In line with such secrecy, Andris has taken great pains to avoid the attention of rival houses and other old enemies. The most straightforward route would have been to take the caravan from Balic north to Altaruk, then southwest along the so-called Gold Road to Walis. That would have meant passing through Fort Adros, whose masters in House Inika have long preyed on House Sysra's caravans. Instead, Andris had charted a course west, along the ancient trade road to Celik, before forging north across the badlands to Wavir's Fort Thetis to resupply. From there, the caravan had traveled north across the scrub plains — steering well clear of the ruined city-state of Kalidnay, rumored to be filled with ghosts and the malevolent spirit of its fallen sorcerer-king — to the Gold Road and the dunes beyond. In another day or two, the sandy wastes would give way to badlands and stony barrens. The mountains, just a smudge on the horizon now, lie another five days or so beyond that.

Eyes slitted against the sun, you stir from your reverie and scan the surrounding dunes. Ahead, through heat waves that render the horizon a blur, you spot a listless, dun-colored flag flying above the ruins of an old waystation. Andris had mentioned the landmark when you set out that morning, but said there was no reason to stop with the well long dry and the argossy's hold full of House Wavir water.

CSaGiq0UwAAukta.jpg

Above, a lone kes'trek'el circles lazily, gliding on the thermals ... until suddenly it is no longer gliding but plummeting to the ground, seemingly struck dead in the empty sky.

Your stomach lurches as the dune beneath you seems to jump, almost vibrating for a breathless second before sand explodes around you in a whirling cloud. The sudden sirocco casts the world into darkness — later, one of your companions swears it was some winged shadow that blocked out the sun — as a deafening roar fills your ears. You catch a final glimpse of the argossy before it is torn to splinters, then the scathing wind picks you up, tumbling through sand and sky before the ground inevitably claims you once again.

Dazed, with sand coating your throat and stinging your eyes, you pick yourself up from where you landed. Bruised but not broken, you collect your possessions from where they landed, even managing to find your kanks, equally battered. The sandstorm that struck the caravan — if a sandstorm it was — continues, though without the sudden fury of before. Even so, you find yourself dodging flying debris as you stumble forward in the haze, the vague glow of the sun in the west a guide as you make your way north toward the dubious shelter of the abandoned waystation.

6b45bd8ef122ae15d439774c28957129.jpg


You find yourself in the middle of the wastes, your sight almost completely obscured by sand and dust, with a vague notion of which way to go to reach the waystation. Your possessions are mostly intact: Barrels or large ceramic containers will have been smashed, and large tents and other items are likely damaged but useable. You have managed to keep track of your weapons, mounts and other items, however. Regardless of how many waterskins you may be carrying, you each have half a day's water ration (so, 1 quart for a halfling, half a gallon for humans/dwarves and 2 gallons per a half-giant) since Andris had been doling out water from the caravan's stores each morning.

As you make your way toward the waystation, each character needs to make an Agility check to avoid dangerous flying debris and other hazards left in the wake of the storm. On a failure, you suffer 1 wound (you can use a Benny to soak as normal); with a success, you suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps & Bruises; with a raise, you emerge unscathed.

As you navigate through the storm, you come across remnants of the caravan, some of which may be salvageable. With an appropriate skill check (Notice or Survival, most likely, but I'm open to others if they make sense) you find an object of value. You may try for a second item, but your skill check and your Agility check to avoid damage are made with a -2 penalty.
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Harlock »

Requested Rolls
Agility to Dodge Debris 1d4!! or 1d6!! with a -1 to the higher.: [3]+[2] = 5
Survival to Salvage from the site 1d6!! or 1d6!! whichever is higher.: [5]+[1] = 6
Harlock did not really like storms, and this storm kicked up without enough notice to bury themselves. Once the storm kicked up Harlock tried to stay close enough to the others they could find each other after the storm. Once he found a place with enough sand Harlock bent low pulling his cloak over hid head and shoulders he hunched down to continue with the others. He did not know why they did not want to hunker down, but if the others could endure, so could he.
KRACK! Oh, his head was ringing some sort of stone smashed into his head. Harlock put his hand to his head and found it bleeding. Looking down through his cloak he saw the silhoette of an axe. The handle his him in the head hard enough to crack his thick skin. Picking up the weapon he looked for the possible owner. Narrowing his eyes he wondered. If someone threw that at him he probobly should kill them. As they finally had a clear chance Harlock was relieved to see the way station finally begin to form in his vision. Even hunched down he was dry, and bruised.
Looking around to the others Harlock lifted what was left of his supplies, only a couple gallons of his suplies full. The other blatters having been taken by the desert. "I lost most my water. If there is none in there, we will need an oasis." He added disapointed at the result. Finding the obsidian axe was an amazing thing. But without water he would never get a chance to use it.

Found: Obsidian greataxe with a hilt wrapped in green and black-striped tigone fur
Harlock
Attributes: Agility d4-1, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d6-1, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (0) Size: 3 Reach: 1 (2 w/halberd)
Skills:
  • Athletics d12 (4)
  • Common Knowledge d4 (0)
  • Fighting d10 (5, +1dt)
  • Notice d4 (0)
  • Persuasion d4-1 (0)
  • Psionics d12 (4+1 dt, based on vigor)
  • Shooting d4-2 (0)
  • Stealth d4 (0)
  • Survival d6 (2)

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Resources
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83386#p83386
User avatar
Caro
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Caro »

Storm Rolls
Agility (-2 due to 2 Salvage Rolls)
  • Agility: 1d8!!-2!!: [6]-2 = 4
    Wild: 1d6!!-2!!: [5]-2 = 3
    Result: 4 - Success. 1 Fatigue due Bumps and Bruises
Survival for Salvage(-2 due 2 Salvage Rolls, +2 due Woodsman)
  • Survival: 1d8!!: [2] = 2
    Wild: 1d6!!: [1] = 1
    • Bennie Reroll
      • Survival: 1d8!!: [6] = 6
        Wild: 1d6!!: [1] = 1
    Result: 6 - Success. Two Salvage Items.
    • Heavy Agafari Wooden Club
    • Small Leather Pouch of Qat, a mild narcotic that can be chewed or brewed into tea (6 doses, when used lets you ignore 2 points of Wound penalties for 30 minutes)
Ignore
  • Survival: 1d8!!: [1] = 1
    Wild: 1d6!!: [1] = 1
If Lor dies in this storm, I will KILL her! I KNEW going on this caravan was a bad idea. My Focus is to protect her until she is properly seasoned and ready to be a productive member of the House Wavir. She needed to leave her protected enclave and join the real world. Even with all I can do to protect her, she will NEED to grow up to survive... but that itself is also part of my Focus.

As Caro rights himself after being tossed head first into the sand, his first priority is finding Lor and seeing how badly she was hurt in the Sandstorm. Seeing that she seems to be in one piece, Caro's next priority is seeing what he can get out of the wreckage that can help him and his charge survive. Watching the Halfling, the two Half-Giants, the Half Elf, the other Dwarf and the other Human... Caro wonders if they will be assets in getting Lor and himself to safety or hindrances that will have to be left behind.

If they prove themselves useful, then they will have earned Lor and my Loyalty. This is a harsh world. It can be made easier with good companions, but can be made harsher with unreliable companions.

As he was thinking, Caro comes across a Heavy Agafari Wooden Club and what looks like a small pouch of Qat.

I HATE having to use Qat, but if I need to... I will.
Last edited by Caro on Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Caro
Wounds: 2 / 3
Fatigue: 1 / 2
ISP: 9 / 15
Bennies: 2 / 3
Base
  • -1 Bennie to Reroll Fighting in Quick Combat
    -2 Bennies to roll Soaks
User avatar
Vixa
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:58 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Vixa »


Agility 1d8!!: [5] = 5
Wild Die 1d6!!: [4] = 4



Survival 1d8!!: [7] = 7
Wild Die 1d6!!: [1] = 1


Vixa was trying to relax and get some rest and relief from the worst of the heat when the storm hit and the world went mad. Finding herself flung from the distentigrating caravan she tucks herself into a ball as she flies through the air. Vixa grunts as she hits the ground but manages to avoid the worst rolling to rob the hit of its force. Pitching up short she takes stock of her person and finds herself more or less intact. By some minor miracle she finds her gear close to hand discovering an extra bag of rations to boot.

Squinting through the wind and dust she looks to see what remains of the caravan finding little remains. This is not good she thinks to herself. Looking around one more time Vixa locks onto the form of a lumbering half giant and recognizes Harlock. Hoping that he's heading towards something useful she gathers her gear and staggers off in his wake.
Last edited by Vixa on Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Don't Panic"

Vixa
Player: Jim
Active Alts: Sparkmort Zipwidget, John Reid
User avatar
Lor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Lor »


Success (5)
Bumps and Bruises
Agility 1d4!: [2] = 2
Wild Die 1d6!: [5] = 5



Raise (18)
Notice 1d8!: [8!, 8!, 2] = 18
Wild Die 1d6!: [2] = 2


Lor was helplessly tossed through the sandstorm, possessing no real ability to combat such a thing or even land in a controlled manner as the other more agile people than her seemed able to do to at least some degree. Though in the end it was through the grace of dumb luck that seemed to plop her face first into a particularly soft patch of sand that absorbed most of the fall, though not leaving her entirely unscathed either.

Rising slowly to her feet, Lor dusted herself off several times with a sour expression on her face, appearing all the more perturbed when framed by the eye of smokey quartz she possessed in one of her sockets. Taking a moment to assess the current situation before realizing that she would only get covered in dust moments later, commenting to Caro, who seemed to have taken an immediate priority in protecting her at that moment.

“I cannot for any reason fathom why father would insist that this was the sort of experience that was considered a necessity for personal growth. I could have done well enough hearing it described in song by a poet and been all the better for it. Tch. I hope you at least saw some value in this Caro.” Came the equally distasteful sound as she gathered what things she could that lay littered about her.

“Whurp!” Came a familiar high pitched chirping sound from Hank, the Kank she had purchased before the start of her journey. It seemed as though he had survived the storm as well, seeming none the worse for wear. However, clutched in his mandibles he seemed to hold a strange weapon of sorts that he casually plunked down in front of Lor, who in turn raised her eyebrow at it before picking it up and taking a look.

Slender fingers ran over the scabbard and ebony hilt of the blade her animal had retrieved for her without thinking about it. Lor recognized it immediately as having formerly belonged to the caravan master who had been in charge of their current expedition. It seemed as though he had not been as lucky as she had been when facing the sudden upheaval, as the previous owner seemed to be nowhere to be found.

“I suppose this places me in charge now. How disappointing, I’d hoped to simply wait this one out and get my check in the box.” She coughed as the debris continued its whirlwind around her, getting knocked aside more than once or twice as they made their way to the waystation.

“Anyone who has rope, pass an end to another and hold it until we make it there!” She shouted out to the others at the top of her lungs amidst the cloud of sand, though it likely only came out as a faint message to the rest given the current noise level.
Last edited by Lor on Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Drader
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Drader »

Agility d4!!: [6!!] = 6 Wild agility d6!!: [3] = 3

Survival d8!!+1: [1]+1 = 2 Survival wild d6!!+1: [4]+1 = 5
Benny spent
Survival d8!!+1: [4]+1 = 5 Survival wild d6!!+1: [7!!]+1 = 8


Drader hated the sun. It was a vile enemey and one day he would defeat it. As he dreamed of ways to kill the sun he started to get hungry again. Then he though of ways to kill the caravan master. The food was never enough and it was not as good of quality food as Drader liked. the master must be an ally of the sun and they were trying to see if Drader died of heat or starvation first. As much as Drader hated the sun, he hated that damn agrossy worse. He would bear the sun for a while to not have toe smell the stench of the agrossy.

When the dune lurch Drader was not ready for it. His Kank bolted and drader lost his seating. As he fell from the kank he remembered to not let go of the reins. However that cost him as the damn kank ran into every rock he could find, as he drug Drader behind him. When he got the kank to stop for a second. Drader realized the current rocks pocking him in the side were different. Looking closing he saw a fanged helm made from a dagorran skull (as a bronze helmet, +3 Armor for the head) and a discarded heavy mace with a chunk of purple quartz for the head. Who had dropped those? Well they did not need them anymore and Drader did. So he hefting them out of the sand.

When he looked up he could not see the outpost. As he looked around he did see the halfer, she was following the giant. Well maybe they knew where to go to get safe for. Drader's side hurt too much and he was to tired to think past that. Just get to the outpost and then eat a big lunch.
User avatar
Berkyn of Celik
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Berkyn of Celik »

1d8!!: [7] = 7 1d6!!: [10!!] = 10

1d6!!: [3] = 3 1d6!!: [2] = 2 Benny 1d6!!: [4] = 4 1d6!!: [3] = 3


Berkyn couldn't decide what was worse for his hangover, the smell of the argossy or the oppressive heat of the day. Unfortunately alcohol was practically a job requirement. Wine loosened tongues and it would be an insult not to partake when the words were pouring faster from the mouths of the marks than the liquid from the bottles.

Deciding the relentless sun was better than the argossy, the bard untangled himself from the sweaty and stained bed linens. For the life of him, he couldn't remember the name of the still slumbering body that shared the tent with him last night. Getting dressed and gathering his belongings, he downed two waterskins with the remnants of a bottle of wine, to treat the water of course, before stepping out into the harsh light of the morning..or was it afternoon?

Sigh. At least I don't have to dispose of a body in this heat.

When the ground lurched under him, Berkyn first thought he hadn't added enough wine to the muddy, brackish water that the caravan had been subsisting on. It was only after he landed some yards away that he realized what was going on. Luckily, although he hated dancing, instincts had kicked in and he managed to maneuver through the wreckage and flying debris. The same couldn't be said for the poor Andris when Berkyn stumbled upon him. It looked like he had his guts torn out by flying debris or something. Berkyn nearly wretched again when he came across him.

Wait..those aren't his intestines scattered about drying in the heat...

The sausages were a fortunate find. They wouldn't make him rich, but they might buy him some credit with the survivors that were gathering up and heading in the direction of where Berkyn figured the waystation would be.

Sausages...grilled or pickled in hunting cactus poison. Should cover my options. Better than this worthless writ of caravan passage, anyway.

The bard stored his find and made his way towards the rest of the survivors.

Bennys: 0/3
Pace: 6 Parry 6 Toughness 5
Wounds: 1/3
Fatigue: 1/2
User avatar
Skanni
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Skanni »

We Rollin
Agility 1d6!, Wild 1d6!: [5]+[4] = 9

Simple success; Bumps & Bruises

Notice 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [5]+[1] = 6

Success. Found a thing.
Skanni's instincts kick in, but too slow to avoid the full brunt of the... thing. What was the thing? Sandstorm? That seemed like one wicked sandstorm.

She coughs and struggles to her feet, her lungs doing their darndest to get the sand out. Air, she tells her chest. You are supposed to be full of air, not grit. She coughs hard, her body agreeing but not quite able to do anything about it.

As steadies herself, she almost falls again when her left foot lands on a boot. No, not boot, "boots," tied together and lying there, partially covered by the sand. She pulls them out and holds them up to her own feet. Not bad. Not perfect, but close enough, if I need them. Or maybe I could trade them?

She throws the boots in her pack, shoulders it, and trudges towards the other survivors she sees moving towards the outpost.
Skanni, Half-Elf Psionicist
Parry: 5; Toughness: 8 (2); Notes: Outsider, Heroic, PTSD, Brave
Character Sheet
Resource Tracker
User avatar
Graddock Wyrmsbane
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:51 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Graddock Wyrmsbane »

Agility: d8!-1: [4]-1 = 3 , d8-1: [6]-1 = 5
Survival: d8!+2: [2]+2 = 4 Wild d6!+2: [5]+2 = 7
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Tribe of One »

Bruised and battered, you stagger through the swirling sand toward the blurred outline of the old waystation, eventually coming to a stop before its sun-blasted walls.

The storm has lost much of its fury, but past experience tells you it will take most of the night before all of the dust settles out of the air. In the meantime, the swirling silt gives the setting sun an unsettling cast as it sinks below the horizon.

8k-sandstorm.jpg

The lingering glow of sunset gives you an initial look at the waystation, which looks to have been abandoned for half a king's age. The crumbling stucco walls are half-buried by the surrounding dunes and the wind has torn away the door, but the dome-like roof over the wellhouse and flatter roof over the attached stable appears intact.

Inside, deep drifts of sand have blown into the wellhouse. A few cracked urns are toppled near the well itself, which is long dry, dirt and sand filling it to within a man's height of its rim. The outer walls of the stable are in better shape, though the bone-and-cord pens within have long since collapsed, the skeletal jumble giving that part of the structure a charnel house air. The debris shows no sign of recent habitation, though seasoned desert travelers know looks are often deceiving ... but thirst and injury leave you no better options for shelter.

As the last stragglers limp inside, darkness falls swiftly, the film of dust obscuring the light of the twin moons. Soon, you begin to hear the sounds of nocturnal predators — and the screams of the caravan passengers who failed to find shelter before light was lost.

Abandoned Way Station - test2_resize.JPG


Night has fallen, but you have reached the (relative) safety of the old waystation. You have a chance to rest, take stock and plan ... posting a guard might not be a bad idea, either. Let me know how your character would like to pass the time (you've got time to use powers or Healing checks to deal with Bumps & Bruises or Wounds, if you like, to Repair equipment, etc.).

Also,

Once at the waystation, Lor finds a private moment to examine the blade she discovered in the sands. She's sure it belonged to Andris Sysra, the caravan master. The ebony hilt is in the Balican style, but when she pulls the sword from the scabbard, she doesn't find the expected gladius — the blade, of well-honed, ancient steel, is only the length of a dagger, much too short for the sheathe that holds it. Curious, Lor examines the scabbard more closely and finds a carved latch that causes the lower half to detach, revealing a carved scroll tube concealed inside. Within are a pair of maps, one showing the known geography of the route from Balic to Wavir's outpost. The other bears a crude drawing of what might be a wide mountain valley, but the symbols on it all seem to be nonsense, some code Andris devised, or perhaps simple scribblings only he understood. Only one is recognizable, near the mouth of the valley — an upright silver lizard, a jozhal, the symbol of House Wavir.

GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Harlock »

Harlock concentrated on his injury. Reaching deep within himself the the parched house he considered his inner place. Unlike a defiler Harlock did not need life around him to kill to access his power. Instead he drew from his own inner strength, from his sense of self and this place that existed within his mind during meditation. As he did the wound began to close, leaving only a slight scar and some blood stains to show where the axe hilt had split him.

Moving through the buildings he stayed alert. "Other creatures could have saught safety here. Stay guarded." he warned his allies. The words may not be needed, but with so many you never knew.

After the they confirmed the place was enmpty enough for safe rest Harlock looked at the team. "I will take the first watch, who will stand with me?" He announces.


Heals wound for 2 Inner Strength
Healing 1d12!! or Wild 1d6!! with a -1 penalty for the wound: [7]+[2] = 9
Harlock
Attributes: Agility d4-1, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d6-1, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (0) Size: 3 Reach: 1 (2 w/halberd)
Skills:
  • Athletics d12 (4)
  • Common Knowledge d4 (0)
  • Fighting d10 (5, +1dt)
  • Notice d4 (0)
  • Persuasion d4-1 (0)
  • Psionics d12 (4+1 dt, based on vigor)
  • Shooting d4-2 (0)
  • Stealth d4 (0)
  • Survival d6 (2)

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Resources
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83386#p83386
User avatar
Lor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Lor »

Lor dusted herself off once more once she made it inside the confines of the way station, finally being able to do so in a productive way that didn’t result in her being immediately covered once again by the storming winds. With a sigh of relief, she leaned against the wall connective the two rooms and waited to get out of adrenaline panic mode. Allowing herself to calm over several moments.

“Definitely an unnecessary lesson. Hope it was worth the lost cargo.” Lor thought to herself as she took a count of every person that had made it back, noting that thankfully that the way station was large enough for ceiling and entry to accommodate the volume of a half giant. Of course that also meant that equally large things from the outside that were less than welcome could also get inside as well.

Each person counted had a ceramic value based on their assessed worth, some being worth their weight in water while others being a liability and questionably less valuable than the few kanks that had also survived.

“What a disgusting mess I’ve gotten myself in to. Rather pointless for the sake of keeping up with tradition. Let it be known that just because we’ve always done something a particular way, doesn’t mean that it isn’t necessarily a stupid idea.” Lor said to Caro, noting that her bodyguard had made it out as well. A look of disgust on her face, though not directed towards that particular figure

She did then however nod approvingly at Harlock at this time, noting the large creature taking productive action almost immediately as her tone shifted almost immediately to one that was more pleasant and detached from the current situation. “Oh well done indeed! What was your name again? I concur in the need for capable strong people to keep an eye out for things in the night. A fine example you are setting in this quite dire situation.”

She then continued, motioning the others to gather. “It seems our caravan master has fallen a dire fate with the rest, so it unfortunately falls to me to run direction from here. Rest assured that I have read about situations such as this several times and heard many stories about other people who had been caught in near similarities as we are in now.” Where in a soothing, comforting tone she explains to the others that she has no actual practical experience with caravans or disasters. She was however the representative from Wavir that had been assigned to oversee the progress Andris Sysra had been making and to ensure his end of the deal went down smoothly. So while technically correct that leadership now fell onto her shoulders, it might not necessarily be a great idea if there were any objections from the others at this point.

“Take stock of what you managed to salvage and repair the tents when you have the chance. We’ll have a bit of work ahead of us before we can let down our guard, if at all. You’ve all already done quite well by surviving thus far, with no small amount of dumb luck but also with your wherewithal to choose the intelligent path to relative safety. Well done!” The smile she gave them then seemed entirely out of place with the grim nature of their current situation as Lor then set to work to assessing her own equipment, mumbling to herself the value of each piece she possessed.

Later once the others had finished discussing anything that they had wished to speak of with her, Lor would look over the ebony hilted blade and discover its particular secrets. Placing the two maps on the ground next to her as she sat on her knees with her legs tucked under her upon the soft sand that had formed a convenient drift against one of the walls.

Reading was forbidden among the merchant houses as while they were often richer than many nobles, they still technically held no title of any sort as far as any of the sorcerer kings were concerned. They were a necessary evil at best, and were only permitted to do numerical accounting scrip in order to keep listed records of goods and prices. Of course, these particular “numerical accountings” were complete coded languages, but none that made any sense to any jealous templar that would think to accuse them of such. Allowing for a convenient loophole in what passed for a legal system in these despotic lands.

Still this meant that each house went to great lengths to ensure that others had no knowledge of how to decipher these languages, even those who they were friendly with. Which put Lor in the difficult situation of being unable to figure out what Andris had written upon them. Though she was able to surmise a few key details by triangulating a rough position from the Balic route followed by an indication that there lied a Wavir outpost hidden within the mountain valley.

“Two days, now one through the sand to the badlands. Then another five towards the mountains.” She spoke aloud as she focused on the glyphs. They had been able to see the first traces of the mountains from where they had been, so getting towards the correct general direction would not be overly difficult, save for actually finding the valley outpost once they reached the base of the range.

“Six days… And only if nothing else goes wrong.” She muttered as she assessed her meagre water ration, noting that the others were in similar states. The so called merchant princess was glad to see that fate had allowed for the other dwarf called Drader to make it to the way station alive. It didn’t take a genius trader to realize that the water priest was obviously valued the highest among the entire group of survivors… Not counting herself of course!

Still, she knew miracles had their limits. If they did not, then the water priests would have changed the entirety of Athas into a lush water paradise by now. She doubted even he would be enough to ensure they did not die of thirst on the way there. Fixing those tents to keep the sun off their backs needed to be a priority.


OOC NOTE: Anyone who wants, feel free to decide you overheard what Lor said just now! She wasn’t making any particular effort to hide her mumblings or the fact that she was examining the two maps
User avatar
Berkyn of Celik
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Berkyn of Celik »

Things had not gone smoothly. Berkyn was confident he could report that back to House Wavir--if he lived long enough to do so. For better or worse, this lot that survived was his best chance at doing just that. Best to see what their motives were and see how they all could work together to survive the night and come up with a plan to get back to civilization.

Sitting down, Berkyn pulled a bottle of wine out of his pack. It was a good vintage that he hated to waste like this. Sighing, he took a swig from the bottle, looked at it, and then took another.

Damn, that is good

He then set the bottle down and pulled out a leather satchel containing various vials and and alchemical ingredients. Carefully selecting two of the vials, he slowly counted three dashes from the first and two dashes from the second. The amounts needed to be precise. Not enough and you'd acutely feel every cut, scrape, and bruise on your body. Too much and...well...best make sure you didn't do too much. The right
6 Healing checks all get +2 1d6!!: [1] = 1 1d6!!: [5] = 5 1d6!!: [2] = 2 1d6!!: [5] = 5 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9 1d6!!: [4] = 4 1d6!!: [4] = 4 1d6!!: [5] = 5 1d6!!: [4] = 4 1d6!!: [4] = 4 1d6!!: [2] = 2 1d6!!: [1] = 1 Lowest roll still a success at 4 unless the concoction does not count as a healing kit then the last one is a fail
, however, should numb any pain enough to be able to safely ignore it.

He did this while observing his new found companions. The half-giant, Harlock, was organizing a watch. That was good. The dune trader, Lor, was taking charge and looked as if she had a clue of what to do next. Even better. Happy with his elixir, he stood up and approached her.

"Take a drink of this, you will feel better. Just a sip, though, you want to keep your wits about you."

Berkyn then offers the bottle to anyone else that is injured.

Bennys: 0/3
Pace: 6 Parry 6 Toughness 5
Wounds: 1/3
Fatigue: 1/2
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Harlock »

As the small person began acting in charge Harlock did not really care. His main concern was staying alive and if this trader knew enough to keep them alive then he did not mind following her directions. Looking at @Lor he says. "If you are going to take charge of things. You need to know, I lost most my water."

Then looking around to the others he adds. "We need to inventory supplies and water." Looking at the priest he adds under his breath. "One priest will not be able to provide water for all of us." Looking at his fellow giant kin he says more loudly. "I have some skill at water finding and can help you in the morning to ensure we lighten the stress on the priest's magic."
Harlock
Attributes: Agility d4-1, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d6-1, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (0) Size: 3 Reach: 1 (2 w/halberd)
Skills:
  • Athletics d12 (4)
  • Common Knowledge d4 (0)
  • Fighting d10 (5, +1dt)
  • Notice d4 (0)
  • Persuasion d4-1 (0)
  • Psionics d12 (4+1 dt, based on vigor)
  • Shooting d4-2 (0)
  • Stealth d4 (0)
  • Survival d6 (2)

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Resources
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83386#p83386
User avatar
Caro
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Caro »

Survival: 1d8!!+2!!: [5]+2 = 7
Wild: 1d6!!+2!!: [1]+2 = 3
Result: 7 - Success.


Well used to Lor's antics, Caro just sighed.

Trust Lor to make my job more difficult... now if she could just remember what things to think and which things to actually say. Well, finding water is now the first priority. Places like this usually have a small cistern or other water storage down in the ground in the commander's quarters.

Looking throughout the fort, Caro finds indications of the presence of water. There was a small cistern in one of the rooms, and looking into it, though only some of the water looked that he would be able to clean enough to be able to drink.

"I found some water here, but I can only clean up some of it to be drinkable. Drader, I believe I heard that you are a water priest. Can you clean up the remaining water so we can all drink it?"
Caro
Wounds: 2 / 3
Fatigue: 1 / 2
ISP: 9 / 15
Bennies: 2 / 3
Base
  • -1 Bennie to Reroll Fighting in Quick Combat
    -2 Bennies to roll Soaks
User avatar
Drader
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Drader »

Drader help @Caro find some water. For even at night water was life and they have precocious little. When Caro found the water Drader was relieved. We would drink tonight. Concentrating on the water and praying softly Drader noticed the water was tainted. He pulled power and let it flow into the water. Soon the taint began to ooze out of the cistern as a thick green sludge. After a few seconds the water that was left in the cistern was clean and refreshing. But it was very little. Maybe 5 gallons remained and with giants and kanks that would not go far.

Drader did not like to go without but he also did not like to die. Without water he would die but without warriors he would also die. The wastes were dangerous and only with good friends would Drader survive. Taking only a small sip of the water for himself he called the rest of the group over to get their share of the water.

As they drank deeply of the well Drader went back to his gear and began repairing anything that was damaged. Once his gear was in good shape again he took a closer look at the new helm and mace he had found.

Survival d8+1: [5]+1 = 6
Wild survival d6+1: [2]+1 = 3
Faith d10+1: [8]+1 = 9
Faith wild d6+1: [5]+1 = 6


Agility d4: [2] = 2 Wild agility d6!!: [5] = 5
Last edited by Drader on Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Vixa
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:58 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Vixa »


Survival 1d8!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
Wild Die 1d6!!-1: [1]-1 = 0



Vigor 1d10!!-1: [7]-1 = 6 - 2 = 4
Wild Die 1d6!!-1: [1]-1 = 0


Vixa wanders about the way station poking around looking for anything the others may have missed. Usually Vixa has a knack for finding things that are useful but today that talent seems to have abandoned her as she fails to find anything of use. Forcing her way into a small room Vixa eyes shine at the sight of boxes and things her luck may have changed. Unfortunately it turns out her luck did change, for the worse.

As she shifts a box trying to figure out what it might contain a large scorpion is startled and before she can react its stinger stabs her in the arm. Crying out in pain Vixa clutches her arm and she grits her teeth against the pain. "If this day gets much worse I may not survive it." she mutters to herself as she makes her way back to the main compound area.
Last edited by Vixa on Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Don't Panic"

Vixa
Player: Jim
Active Alts: Sparkmort Zipwidget, John Reid
User avatar
Skanni
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Skanni »

Skanni also looks around the way station, looking for anything out of place or suspicious. If she sees anything that looks magically out of place, she'll activate her psychic sight (detect Arcana) and look for details.

Occult Failure to Notice Magic Stuffs
Rolling Occult to assess whether anything looks magic-y. Occult 1d6!, Wild 1d6!: [2]+[1] = 3 -1 for Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises.
After finding nothing of note, Skanni approaches @Berkyn of Celik for a shot of that wine stuff. "Thank you."
Skanni, Half-Elf Psionicist
Parry: 5; Toughness: 8 (2); Notes: Outsider, Heroic, PTSD, Brave
Character Sheet
Resource Tracker
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Tribe of One »

Fortified by Berkyn's concoction, you shake off the aches and pains from the battering you took earlier in the day and begin to take stock of your surroundings and resources.

Caro, searching for water, finds that the well in the eastern room is long dry and filled with sand and other debris. But searching through the west structure, in what might have been the station master's office, he notes traces of red paint forming stacked and inverted Vs -- an old wayfinder's mark for water. Digging down into the sand, he uncovers the stone lid of a buried cistern, which holds a measure of stale-smelling, murky water. A blessing from Drader quickly cleanses the water, which is enough to fill five gallon-sized skins.

Vixa makes a less pleasant discovery, as her search disturbs a melon-sized banded scorpion, which manages to lance her calf with its stinger before scuttling into a crack in the mud-brick wall. Not fatal, it's venom is known for the exquisite burning sensation that follows, along with the ugly black and yellow bands that tend to form in a ring around the wound.
Success leaves you with a scorched feeling and an ugly-looking puncture that fades over the course of a day. Failure leaves you with a level of Fatigue, or Exhaustion with a crit fail.


With the lingering dust blocking the light of Athas' twin moons, you fashion a few crude torches from old debris and prepare to settle in for the night. Caro finds that even his dwarven darksight is little use with so much sand hanging in the air, but he walks outside of the cracked wellhouse to have a look around anyway. The howls of predators and dying caravan passengers are fewer and farther away now and he sees nothing of concern in the murky haze — until the flesh on his neck crawls, causing him to look back over his shoulder just as a gnarled, white claw reaches down from the roof, a sunken, skull-like face with a toothless maw just above it ...

Ducking under the bony appendage, he manages to launch himself back inside while calling out a warning to the others, just as the faint sound of bells begins to fill your ears. The sound grows, threatening to overwhelm your senses, as you catch flashes of emaciated, pale figures with clawed hands peering in through cracks in the wall, their puckered, toothless mouths working silently as they seem to beckon you into the darkness.

You recognize your foes as belgoi, foul cannibals known for their ability to psionically dominate their prey before they drain their life with their claws. Their bells serve as a focus for their psionic control.


Caro
As the bells ring in your ears, you feel another presence in your mind. Manifesting as a cloud of grave moths, the presence swells and shifts with the chime of the bells, surrounding your own mental avatar, blocking out your other senses as surrounds you, fills your vision and seems to subtly pull you out into the night.

Make a Spirit check — you need a 4 or better to resist the puppet psionic power. If you fail, you walk out of the waystation into the darkness.
Lor
You hear the bells, faintly, but stubbornly attempt to keep track of the running list of assets in your mind. You feel a small, nagging presence, but it appears baffled by your mental inventory, to the point that you feel it recoil in pain and confusion. (The psionic foe crit failed on its attempt to puppet you.)
Graddock
You hear bells, which is strange, and not just with your ears but in your head, which is stranger. Something like a big, heavy blanket seems to wrap itself around the inside of your head and you find yourself with the sudden urge to take a walk in the desert night.

Make a Spirit check — you need a 5 or better to resist the puppet psionic power. If you fail, you walk out of the waystation into the darkness.
Harlock
You hear bells, which is strange, and not just with your ears but in your head, which is stranger. Something like a big, heavy blanket seems to wrap itself around the inside of your head, tight and comforting, reminding you of the time you spent a month's pay to rent a room in the Golden Jankx for just one night. A soothing voice whispers to you and you find yourself with a sudden and overpowering urge to take a walk in the cool night air.

Make a Spirit check — you need a 13! or better to resist the puppet psionic power (Sorry, your opponent got a Raise ...). If you fail, you walk out of the waystation into the darkness.
Drader
As the bells ring in your ears, you feel another presence in your mind. Manifesting as a soft, rain-laden breeze, the presence swells and shifts with the chime of the bells, surrounding your own mental avatar, blocking out your other senses as surrounds you, fills your nose with the promise of water and seems to subtly pull you out into the night.

Make a Spirit check — you need a 4 or better to resist the puppet psionic power. If you fail, you walk out of the waystation into the darkness.
BelgoiCropped.jpg


Combat has started! You're not surprised, but your opponents won initiative (I'm drawing from a home deck of cards for ease of use, and using side initiative: if half or more of the PCs beat the opponents' card, PCs go first. If fewer than half beat it, opponents go first.

In this case, almost all of you drew low cards, but Drader drew a Joker so everyone gets a Benny.


I've rolled for your mysterious opponents. It's now your turn.

For those targeted above (see OOC tabs above) go ahead and make your rolls to resist as part of your action. Everyone else can act normally.

In your post, please tell me where on the map below your character starts and ends their turn — the only caveat is that anyone targeted above needs to start within line of sight of one of the attackers.


Waystation1.png

Rolls and Initiative
Danger Sense 1d8!!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0

Initiative (drawn offline)
Skanni: 3 Diamonds
Lor: 9 Spades
Harlock: 6 Diamonds, 2 Diamonds
Drader: 10 Spades, Black Joker
Caro: 2 Spades
Berkyn: 3 Spades
Vixa: 5 Hearts
Graddock: 9 Clubs
Enemies: King of Diamonds

Since fewer than half of the party beat the enemies, enemies go first.

Five of the attackers use psionics against the group. Who do they target? (Chance for each PC is 1+Size, min. 1)
1: Skanni
2: Lor:
3-6: Harlock
7: Drader
8: Caro
9: Berkyn
10: Vixa
11-14: Graddock

1d14, 1d14, 1d14, 1d14, 1d14: [8]+[2]+[13]+[6]+[7] = 36
So, Caro, Lor, Graddock, Harlock and Drader.

Psionic rolls:
vs Caro 1d8!!: [4] = 4
Lor 1d8!!: [1] = 1
Graddock 1d8!!: [5] = 5
Harlock 1d8!!: [13!!] = 13
Drader 1d8!!: [4] = 4

Follow up roll on the 1 vs Lor: 1d8!!: [1] = 1
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Drader
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Drader »

As soon as Drader heard the bells he recognized the
Common Knowledge +2 joker -2 scene penalty d8: [7] = 7 wild d6: [1] = 1
And not a second too late he drew on the water of the cistern to wrap a lite mist of water around @Caro and himself. The attacked was
Spirit to resist puppet. +4 raise on AP d10+4: [8]+4 = 12 Spirit wild d6+4: [1]+4 = 5
, their power grounded by the water. The water always
Arcane protection for Caro and me d10+3: [6]+3 = 9 Wild d6+3: [2]+3 = 5

@Caro
Now to protect the rest of his friends all Drader could due is yell out "we are being attacked by belgoi. Careful they are powerful psychics." turning to look at @Vixa "and filthy cannibals"
Last edited by Drader on Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Harlock »

Harlock's spirit rolls
Spirit 1d6!! or 1d6!! with a -1 to the highest.: [3]+[4] = 7


Harlock stands up and shakes himself off a bit. Then looking around blankly he eyes finally focus on the exit to the ruined building as he begins walking towards the exit. "I better go out there." He says as if in after thought.

Start ~E14 ending ~D15
Harlock
Attributes: Agility d4-1, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d6-1, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (0) Size: 3 Reach: 1 (2 w/halberd)
Skills:
  • Athletics d12 (4)
  • Common Knowledge d4 (0)
  • Fighting d10 (5, +1dt)
  • Notice d4 (0)
  • Persuasion d4-1 (0)
  • Psionics d12 (4+1 dt, based on vigor)
  • Shooting d4-2 (0)
  • Stealth d4 (0)
  • Survival d6 (2)

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Resources
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83386#p83386
User avatar
Lor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Lor »


Common Knowledge 1d10!-2: [10!, 3]-2 = 11
Wild Die 1d6!-2: [2]-2 = 0



Work the Room - Support for Skanni (+2) and Caro's next Psionics (+1) rolls
Raise(10) and Success (7)

Persuasion 1d12!+1: [6]+1 = 7
Persuasion 1d12+1: [3]+1 = 4
Wild Die 1d6!+1: [2]+1 = 3
Charismatic free reroll (Using this set of rolls, replacing lowest die with wild die result)
Persuasion 1d12!+1: [3]+1 = 4
Persuasion 1d12!+1: [6]+1 = 7
Wild Die 1d6!+1: [6!, 3]+1 = 10
Moving from H10 to I8


(MOVING FROM H10 to I8)

Lor gave an appreciative nod to Berkyn as she finished drinking the vial that was handed to her. The the thought had occurred to her that the bard might have been slipping her a convenient poison to get her out of the way, it seemed somewhat unlikely given his employment with her own house. And true to his word, she found that the pain had lessened to a large degree, only leaving her in a partially woozy state.

“The others made little mention of how you came to fall in with us.” She mentioned casually to Berkyn as she rolled up the odd maps, tucking them away back into their hiding spots. Though there hadn’t been much time for that kind of idle conversation as they had too much work to do with setting up fortifications and constructing makeshift torches.

Springing to her feet as Caro ran back inside with his warning, Lor quickly assessed the situation and tried to recall the stories about the strange malnourished looking creatures. In the end it was the ringing bells that reminded her of the words of caution she had received from other travelers in her house and the tales of the Belgoi with their pitless natures. There would be no negotiating with them…

Her eye narrowed with the ringing of the bells as she felt the first probing's against her thoughts. Caro had taught her a quick defense against such things, where one would deluge their surface thoughts with an inane amount of information to give no spot for the probes to take hold. Choosing to fill her mind with last months reports and accounts, it seemed to work as she sensed nothing but frustration from the creatures that invaded the area. Still, she was no psionicist, so there was little she could do to return the favour.

Fortunately she was rich, and rich people got others to do their dirty work for them. With a snap of her fingers she pointed towards the holes in the wall where Harlock was looking to leave. “Caro, your beautiful mind trick worked! I knew there was a reason we hired you. The magnificence of your brain juice is of such an enormous magnitude, that I dare say we’ve taken on only the very best! Take eyes on those less educated than I and see to their safety, show them how a real aficionado of thoughts does it. In the meantime, I will wait over here… And watch.” She finished with a firm nod and a smile in his direction, making her way around the corner and out of sight of the creatures.

Of course it may have also been her intention that the heaps of praises given to Caro, describing him as the very best may have also by design caused the half-elf practitioner named Skanni who was within earshot to also become inspired to prove Lor wrong and show her just who was really the most potent master of the mind in the group.
User avatar
Skanni
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Skanni »

Raise on Occult to Recognize Bad Guys, 11 on Opponed Psionics to Free Harlock
Occult to recognize the bad guys: Occult 1d6!, Wild 1d6!: [6!, 3]+[6!, 3] = 18

Psionics to un-whammy Harlock with Clear Mind (dispel) Psionics 1d10!, Wild 1d6!: [2]+[3] = 5 +2 from Mentalist +2 from Lor's support = 7

Let's spend one of those bennies to see if we can't get higher than a 7

Psionics reroll 1d10!, Wild 1d6!: [7]+[2] = 9 +2 from Mentalist +2 from Support = 11. Nice.
Skanni overhears @Lor praising Cano and wrinkles her nose. The very best, huh?

When @Harlock inexplicably begins to head outside the protection of the way station, she knows a psychic possession when she sees it. "Oh, no you don't..." she mutters under her breath. Bringing one hand to her temple, out of habit more than need, she focuses her mind on breaking the bonds imposed on the big man.

That done, she shouts to the rest of the survivors, "Belgoi!! They use the bells for their psionics, and their claws will drain life! Keep your distance and don't listen to the damn bells!"

Skanni ends her turn in square I10, keeping a wall at her back (assuming that's close enough to Harlock to use her dispel).
Skanni, Half-Elf Psionicist
Parry: 5; Toughness: 8 (2); Notes: Outsider, Heroic, PTSD, Brave
Character Sheet
Resource Tracker
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Tribe of One »

Belgoi vs dispel
1d8!!: [6] = 6
GM Benny
1d8!!: [2] = 2
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Harlock »

Harlock's head clears as the confusion washes away thanks to @Skanni's power. Seeing the strange creatures his mind was still slow to respond. Then he knew what was needed, reaching down he pulled on that inner well of strength within himself he let his Psionic well fill him with the knowledge of what was needed.

As his body wills with the knowledge and near perfect awareness from thousands of previous battles, Harlock strikes out with his psychic weapon...

Rolls and Mechanics, Hits a 5 Parry and does 17 damage
Innate Warrior's Gift (Martial Arts) with Psi Weapon mod 1d12!! or 1d6!! no multi action penalty.: [10]+[2] = 12
Raise = Martial Warrior Claws d6 + Martial Warrior +2dt = Str +d10 damage and +2 to Fighting.

Mind Blank 1d12!! or 1d6!! with -2 MAP and -1 Spirit: [3]+[4] = 7
Fail, no Mind Blank active

Fighting with Psychic Weaponry 1d10!! or 1d6!! with -2 from Map: [2]+[5] = 7 5 Total, benny to reroll.
Benny Fighting with Psychic Weaponry 1d10!! or 1d6!! with -2 from MAP and +2 from Martial Warrior: [1]+[3] = 4

Damage if Parry is 5 or less 1d12!!+1d10!!: [11]+[6] = 17
Harlock
Attributes: Agility d4-1, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d6-1, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (0) Size: 3 Reach: 1 (2 w/halberd)
Skills:
  • Athletics d12 (4)
  • Common Knowledge d4 (0)
  • Fighting d10 (5, +1dt)
  • Notice d4 (0)
  • Persuasion d4-1 (0)
  • Psionics d12 (4+1 dt, based on vigor)
  • Shooting d4-2 (0)
  • Stealth d4 (0)
  • Survival d6 (2)

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Resources
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83386#p83386
User avatar
Lor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Lor »

OOC: Using common bond to spend a benny and give a reroll to Harlock

Failure is not an option @Harlock! The half giant can hear a familiar voice from behind him as the fog starts to clear from his mind. "Give them a reason to fear your free will!" The voice ended with another snap of Lor's fingers that drove him to action and perhaps give it just a little bit more as the Bulgoi that had enthralled him threatened to evade his massive attack.
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4422
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Ndreare »

Harlock hears the encouraging words from Lor, one of the other survivors. Pushing himself he tries again

OOC Comments
Common Bond Benny Fighting with Psychic Weaponry 1d10!! or 1d6!! with -2 from MAP and +2 from Martial Warrior: [4]+[1] = 5

Second Benny Fighting with Psychic Weaponry 1d10!! or 1d6!! with -2 from MAP and +2 from Martial Warrior: [3]+[5] = 8

Left as main account so it does not mess up GM post counting at end of quarter.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
User avatar
Berkyn of Celik
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Berkyn of Celik »

Start I6 End K10


Berkyn opens his mouth fully expecting to stutter and stammer his way through an answer to the dune trader's inquiry when chaos erupts in the camp.

Small miracles, I guess

Common Knowledge 1d6!!: [3] = 3 1d6!!: [1] = 1 -2 Fail
the eerie sound of bells, he has no idea what the creatures attacking them could be. Whatever they were, what they were doing couldn't be good.

Luckily, they are not targeting me.

Berkyn uses the chaos to
Stealth 1d6!!: [2] = 2 1d6!!: [3] = 3 Benny: 1d6!!: [5] = 5 1d6!!: [2] = 2 =5 No illumination or scene modifier taken into account--I hope there is one!
into the shadows along the abandoned waystation's crumbling walls. He could see the creatures at the entrances to the waystation attempting to draw Harlock towards them just as he reaches a
Location J10
in the wall big enough for him to slip through. Hoping the
Location L11
before him had not noticed him, he
Fighting 1d8!!: [5] = 5 1d6!!: [1] = 1 +1 = 6 If my Stealth roll beats their Notice roll, this is an 8 as it is Vulnerable. In the event I get a raise with the Stealth roll then I have the Drop and this is a 10. Damage: 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7 1d4!!: [3] = 3 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Hit with no Raise and target noticed me: 10 damage
Hit with no raise and target does not notice me and is Vulnerable = 12 damage
Hit with no raise and have Drop on target: 16 damage
Raise Damage: 4 if applicable
his weapon into it's white flesh just as Skanni yells out her warning.

Belgoi. This may not have been the best of ideas.

Parry is a 7 vs. this Belgoi

Bennys: 0/3
Pace: 6 Parry 6 Toughness 5
Wounds: 1/3
Fatigue: 1/2
User avatar
Caro
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Caro »

No need to roll Spirit due to failure of the Puppet Power due Arcane Resistance
Common Knowledge at -2
  • Common Knowledge: 1d4!!-2!!: [3]-2 = 1
    Wild: 1d6!!-2!!: [7!!]-2 = 5
    Result: 5 - Success.
Psionics for Boost Fighting (+1 due Focus, +1 due Lor); Adept
  • Psionics: 1d10!!+2!!: [5]+2 = 7
    Wild: 1d6!!+2!!: [3]+2 = 5
    Result: 7 - Success. Fighting -> d12 (+1). 1 PP.
[/list]
Fighting (-> d12 due Boost, +1 due Focus)
  • Fighting: 1d12!!+1!!: [6]+1 = 7
    Wild: 1d6!!+1!!: [1]+1 = 2
    Result: 7 - Hit. Damage with Warclub: 2d6!!: [5, 10!!] = 15 - 1 Wound.


Hearing that Lor is safely out of the melee and thus out of immediate danger, Caro brings out his new Warclub,
Goes to E11
up to one of the Belgoi and
1 Wound
it upside the head.
Caro
Wounds: 2 / 3
Fatigue: 1 / 2
ISP: 9 / 15
Bennies: 2 / 3
Base
  • -1 Bennie to Reroll Fighting in Quick Combat
    -2 Bennies to roll Soaks
User avatar
Vixa
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:58 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Vixa »


Fighting 1d12!!: [3] = 3
Fighting 1d12!!: [8] = 8
Wild Die 1d6!!: [2] = 2

Damage 2d8!!: [7, 6] = 13


Vixa is sitting at the cistern feeling sorry for herself and nursing the bite of the <whatever it was> when the bells started to chime. Seeing movement to her front Vixa snatches up her Tembo Sword and settling her buckler on her arm as she darted towards the intruder.
I16 attacking I17


As she approaches she whirls about like a dervish slashing with her blade and while the first strike falls short the second slashes deep and Vixa grins in satisfaction at the strike. Calling back to @Drader "It is very strange that you should be worried about these creatures' hygiene at at time like this!"
"Don't Panic"

Vixa
Player: Jim
Active Alts: Sparkmort Zipwidget, John Reid
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Tribe of One »

Recognizing the danger the faint chimes represented, Drader quickly threw up a misty veil of protection over himself and the dwarven bodyguard, Caro, before calling out a warning to the others.

It was too late to help Harlock, who had been enthralled by one of the mind-bending monsters and already was making his way from the relative safety of the waystation out into night.

Shouting to make herself heard over the echoing bells, Lor did her best to inspire the others to resist the psychic threat. Bristling at the implied snub, Skanni focuses her Will before thrusting her own mental construct into the mindscape of Harlock's conscious. Sensing the belgoi's presence there as a wriggling, suffocating mass of worms enveloping the half-giant, she slices into it, quickly reducing it the psionic control to tatters.

Free of the belgoi's domination, Harlock summons his own psionic might, transforming his fists into glowing weapons. Encouraged by Lor's shouted directions, he slams again and again into the nearest creature, bones cracking beneath his blows as the belgoi collapses in a heap.

Berkyn, moving low against the north wall, darts through a crack in the wall, finding himself face to face with the disoriented belgoi whose failed mental attack on Lor had left it reeling in pain. With a viper's speed, the bard plunges his curved blade under the thing's toothless jaw and up into its brain, neatly withdrawing the blade before the creature falls in a heap on the sand.

Nearby, Caro and Vixa engage with two other belgoi. The dwarf downs one with his warclub, the agafari wood landing with the crack of a stone mallet on ripe fruit. Vixa, meanwhile, moves in a blur, her razor-toothed tembo sword painting the walls with belgoi blood as she makes a kill of her own.

[Note, I redirected Berkyn (to D11) and Caro (E15) to different opponents so everyone had their own target and you all managed to take one down.]

Your opponents win initiative but Caro draws a joker. Bennies all around.

Skanni: 4 Diamonds
Lor: 4 Spades
Harlock: 2 Clubs and 10 Hearts
Drader: 3 Clubs and Jack of Diamonds
Caro: Black Joker
Berkyn: 5 Diamonds
Vixa: 8 Clubs
Graddock (if he's still around): King of Clubs
Belgoi: Queen of Spades


Shocked by the suddent death of its pack-mates, the remaining belgoi backs away from the cracked wellhouse before launching a desperate psychic attack on Harlock. Rather seeking to bend the half-giant to its will, the belgoi lashes out with a bolt of telekinetic energy meant to cripple or kill.

bolt with boosted damage. Also, he's moved south enough to have a clear shot at you, I just didn't want to move it off the map.
Psionics 1d8!!: [5] = 5 = hit
Damage 3d6!!: [4, 2, 8!!] = 14


Meanwhile, Berkyn and Caro have little time to celebrate their kills as two more belgoi leap down from the roof of the wellhouse to attack.

The first lashes out at Berkyn with a broad-bladed spear of sharpened bone, which it slips past his guard with a predator's ease. The jagged blade plunges deep into the soft flesh of the bard's flank, impaling him.
Fighting 1d8!!: [11!!] = 11 = Raise
Damage 3d6!!: [10!!, 10!!, 2] = 22 = Yikes! 4 wounds


The belgoi that falls upon Caro uses no weapon, lashing out wildly with its claws as it attempts to drain the dwarf of warmth and life.

Wild Attack 1d8!!+2: [11!!]+2 = 13 = Raise
Damage 2d6!!+1d4!!: [2, 2]+[3] = 7 +2 for Wild Attack = 9, so Caro is Shaken and must make a Vigor check at -2 or lose a die type in Vigor (temporarily) from the Energy Drain. The belgoi is Vulnerable.


Inside, Lor feels a trickle of sand on her neck, looking up just in time to see another of the cadaverous creatures burst through the crumbling adobe roof. Landing with the grace of a kirre, the belgoi attacks with its claws, intent on feeding on the soft merchant. Its blackened nails score a bloody track across one shoulder, not deep enough to truly wound but causing Lor to catch her breath as the creature's touch seems to draw out her very soul.

Athletics to stick the landing 1d8!!: [7] = 7
Wild Attack 1d8!!+2: [4]+2 = 6 = Hit
Damage 1d6!!+1d4!!+2: [3]+[1]+2 = 6 = Shaken, and must make a Vigor check or lose a die type in Vigor (temporarily) from the Energy Drain. The belgoi is Vulnerable.


You're up!
DS Turn2.png
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Vixa
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:58 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Vixa »

Vixa darts past the corpse of her recent opponent into the open air outside the wall casting about for another opponent. Seeing the target rich environment she only hesitates a moment before pivoting to her right and charging her new prey.
to K17 attacking K16



Fighting 2d12!!: [1, 5] = 6
Wild Die 1d6!!: [4] = 4

Spending my new Bennie and hoping for a decent roll.

Fighting 2d12!!: [1, 2] = 3
Wild Die 1d6!!: [4] = 4

Spending my Bennie from last Round's Joker

Fighting 2d12!!: [6, 2] = 8 Hit - Damage 2d8!!: [7, 1] = 8
Wild Die 1d6!!: [17!!] = 17 Raise - Damage 2d8!!+1d6!!: [5, 7]+[1] = 13


With a primal scream Vixa launches her attack, her blade a blur as she whips it back and forth like a striking viper. This time her first hit strikes home though she can tell it is merely a glancing blow. As with her last target it's her second strike that proves decisive as she whips the sword low across the creature's belly and she feels the blade bite deep.
"Don't Panic"

Vixa
Player: Jim
Active Alts: Sparkmort Zipwidget, John Reid
User avatar
Berkyn of Celik
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Berkyn of Celik »

Vigor 1d6!!: [2] = 2 1d6!!: [4] = 4 Benny 1d6!!: [1] = 1 1d6!!: [13!!] = 13 +2 =15 Benny from Lor for Iron Jaw = 17

2d6: [6, 3] = 9 1d6: [3] = 3 Guts, Battered: Vigor reduced to d4, No longer applicable with Lor's Benny


Cursing for not thinking their would be a second one, Berkyn twisted out of the way of the belgoi's spear and stepped inside the abominations reach. Knowing he wasn't likely to get lucky again, he wildly
Fighting 1d8!!: [6] = 6 1d6!!: [2] = 2 +2 Wild Attack +2 Close Fighting=10 Raise Damage 1d6!!: [14!!] = 14 1d4!!: [2] = 2 1d6!!: [2] = 2 = 18, 2 wounds
and slashed with his blade until it dropped next to the body of the other one.

Feeling exposed outside of the waystation walls, Berkyn jerked the spear from the belgoi's corpse and slipped back through the crack in the wall and crept
Location G9
to where he saw another facing off against Lor.

Conditions
Assuming the one in C12 is also dead. Currently Vulnerable but providing Lor a Gang Up bonus

Bennys: 0/3
Pace: 6 Parry 6 Toughness 5
Wounds: 1/3
Fatigue: 1/2
User avatar
Lor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Lor »


Resisted Energy Drain (4)
Vigor 1d6!: [4] = 4
Wild Die 1d6!: [2] = 2

Unshaken (7)
Spirit 1d10!: [7] = 7
Wild Die 1d6!: [2] = 2

Wild Attack+Vulnerable+Gang up bonus from Berkyn against target at H8 (2+2+1=5)
Success (8) vs 6 Parry
5 Damage vs 7 Toughness - no effect
Fighting 1d4!+5: [3]+5 = 8
Wild Die 1d6!+5: [1]+5 = 6
Damage 2d4!+2: [2, 1]+2 = 5 AP 1

OOC: Resisted energy drain, became unshaken, gave a bennie to Berkyn, no movement, Lor is now Vulnerable

“Watch the skies!” Lor hisses as she recoils from the chilling touch of the creature that came from the roof. “There may be more of them on top!” Came her warning as she took a careful step back and held up the ebony hilted blade in one hand with the scabbard in the other. Making note of Berkyn being wildly attacked from the side, yelling out to him a sharp warning so that he could better prepare himself for the oncoming blow.

Still, the merchant had little time to contemplate the situation as the creature already was making several more attacks her way that she just barely fended off, striking quickly at it once with a decisive blow, though yielding no significant damage to it with her meagre strength, as the cuts only appeared to be superficial at best.

“Ugh, fighting! That’s something only poor people do!” She yelled out in disgust over her own actions. “Get away from me and go attack the ones who are paid to do this!” She instructed the belgoi angrily.
Last edited by Lor on Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Harlock »

The telekinetic bolt hit Harlock pretty hard, rattling him for a moment.
Spirit to Unshake 1d6!! or Wild 1d6!! with a -1 penalty.: [1]+[4] = 5
As he tries to clear his mind, he swings his arms a couple times unable to focus on or hurt his foes.
Harlock
Attributes: Agility d4-1, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d6-1, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (0) Size: 3 Reach: 1 (2 w/halberd)
Skills:
  • Athletics d12 (4)
  • Common Knowledge d4 (0)
  • Fighting d10 (5, +1dt)
  • Notice d4 (0)
  • Persuasion d4-1 (0)
  • Psionics d12 (4+1 dt, based on vigor)
  • Shooting d4-2 (0)
  • Stealth d4 (0)
  • Survival d6 (2)

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Resources
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83386#p83386
User avatar
Drader
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Drader »

Drader reaches within his inner well, his mind a fortress easily has room for others. Inviting @Berkyn of Celik, @Lor and @Harlock into the safety of his mind. Each of them suddenly feels the protection offered as their minds became likewise shielded by a fortress of intelect disruptng hostile magic and psionics.



Healing d10+1: [7]+1 = 8
Wild d6!!: [3] = 3


User avatar
Caro
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Caro »

Vigor at -2, but +2 due Joker.
  • Vigor: 1d8!!-2!!: [3]-2 = 1 +2
    Wild: 1d6!!-2!!: [5]-2 = 3 +2
    Result: 5 - Success.

Spirit +2 due Joker
  • Spirit: 1d6!!: [1] = 1
    Wild: 1d6!!: [1] = 1
    Result: 1 - Crit Fail. Spending 1 Bennie to Remove Shaken.

Free Psionics due Adept - Boost Strength (+2 due Joker, +1 due Focus)
  • Psionics: 1d10!!+3!!: [5]+3 = 8
    Wild: 1d6!!+3!!: [3]+3 = 6
    Result: 8 - Raise. Strength -> d10. 1 PP.
Attack Rolls - Two Attacks plus running in between/after depending if the Belgoi drops to at Least Shaken so Caro can go to Lor(+2 due Joker, +1 due Focus, -4 due MaP, +2 due Vulnerable, +2 due Wild Attacks)
  • Attack 1
    • Fighting: 1d12!!+3!!: [2]+3 = 5
      Wild: 1d6!!+3!!: [5]+3 = 8
      Result: 8 - Hit. Damage: 1d6!!+3!!: [1]+3 = 4 + 1d10!!: [9] = 9 +2 (Due Joker) = 15
      • Bennie Reroll for Damage
        • 1d10!!+1d6!!+4: [1]+[3]+4 = 8 = 8
    Attack 2
    Fighting: 1d12!!+3!!: [3]+3 = 6
    Wild: 1d6!!+3!!: [1]+3 = 4
    Result: 6 - Hit. Damage: 1d10!!+1d6!!+2!!: [9]+[4]+2 = 15 +2 (Due Joker) = 17. 1 Wound.


Fending off the Belgoi's life draining attack, with just a shake of his head, Caro realizes that Lor has been attacked. Drawing upon his inner strength to empower his muscles, Caro dives club first at the Belgoi before running off to protect his ward. Seeing its attention is drawn elsewhere, he leaps at its back smashing the gory club repeatedly on the back of its head.

"This should take care of this one, Lor. Stick by me in case any more target us."
Caro
Wounds: 2 / 3
Fatigue: 1 / 2
ISP: 9 / 15
Bennies: 2 / 3
Base
  • -1 Bennie to Reroll Fighting in Quick Combat
    -2 Bennies to roll Soaks
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Tribe of One »

The chimes of the belgoi take on a discordant note as the battle turns against the creatures.

Her blade wet with the blood of her first kill, Vixa wastes little time burying it in stringy white flesh of a second, the sawtoothed sword disemboweling the cannibal and nearly severing its spine.

Berkyn, twisting just in time to avoid having his own guts spilled on the sand, steps inside the reach of his attacker and neatly slices its throat with his curved blade, taking its spear for his own and heading back inside to aid Lor, who has managed to fend off another belgoi but failed to strike deep enough to wound it with the caravan master's steel blade.

As Harlock tries to clear his head, Caro makes quick work of the last belgoi outside before rushing into the waystation, where he brutally slays the creature that had been threatening his charge. With the last bell stilled, quiet settles over the desert night.


Nice rolls! You all survived your first battle. Now, tell me how your character unwinds/recovers from the fight/makes the waystation safe enough to get some sleep and you can have a Benny.


Dawn brings new challenges. As the sun rises over the eastern sands, the air inside the old waystation quickly grows stifling. The maps Lor found within Andris' scabbard chart the route northwest to the Wavir outpost — six days, maybe more, through scorching badlands and rocky wastes. To the southeast, backlit against the rising sun, you can make out kes'trekels gliding above the remains of the ruined caravan. Other scavengers have no doubt found it, as well, but there might be something there to salvage ... or the cracked hull might hold only death.

With the water Caro recovered from the waystation's cistern, and the little you had in your waterskins, you should have enough water for yourselves and your kanks for a day, perhaps two, assuming you can somehow avoid the worst heat of the sun. But before that, you must choose a course and make a plan for crossing the burning sands alive.
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Lor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Lor »

Lor breathed heavily as she just barely fended off the follow up attack from the belgoi moments before @Berkyn and @Caro came running up to pulverize the gaunt figure to pieces. It took her a moment to catch herself and recover from the dizziness over having almost being killed, before she cleared her throat and looked to those around her.

“Ah, good work you two. I was worried for a moment there that I would need to get my hands dirty.” Lor said approvingly to the dwarf bodyguard before she eyed Berkyn next to him and the others who had fended off the remaining threats from outside.

“A fine job all of you!” The merchant princess clarified, resting a hand on her hip as she assessed their current situation. None of them had been injured fortunately, but they had exerted a lot of their strength. Perhaps more so than was necessary. This journey was going to be a careful balancing act of not merely defeating hostile opponents that they found along the way, but not doing so in such a manner as to tire themselves out so that they would find themselves defenseless before the next battle that was sure to come.

“Would some of you overly strong fellows be so kind as to take the corpses and bury them in the corner with sand? Nothing more than a shallow cover. It wouldn’t do for something far worse than these to come after the stench of blood and dead flesh leading them right here.” Though it went unsaid, she may have less than subtly nudged her head sideways towards the towering figure that was @Harlock who would have little trouble doing such a thing.

Noting their distinct lack of water, Lor shakes her head in mild disgust. “We do not have the luxury of the argossy any longer, so we should restrict our travel to early morning and evening, resting during the afternoon. But only if we can get the tents repaired enough to make it worth while. Did we make any progress on those? It won’t do to break for the afternoon if we are just going to bake in the sun regardless.”

Sheathing the dagger that Lor was holding and tying the tattered scabbard into a reef knot around her waist, she looked over to @Vixa then smiled at the wild looking halfling, though perhaps saying that was a bit of a redundant measure. At least food wasn’t their concern at the moment, else Lor might have found herself on the menu as far as this figure was concerned. Still, these were exactly the type of people who knew what to do in situations such as these.

“We’re deathly short on water and need to keep to low sun hours to keep it in ourselves as much as possible. What do you think we should do as far as finding water along the way?” Lor asked, not needing to lower herself overmuch to meet the height of the smaller figure as she wasn’t exactly a towering object herself. "I don't want us to fall into the trap of relying solely on @Drader for his powers if we can help it."

She then looked to @Skanni and gave the half-elf a deep bow of her head in recognition of her actions during the battle. They had come close to having Harlock turn from a great asset into their greatest liability. Something that she well suspected that the mixed creature had allowed them to narrowly avoid.

Finally she looked upwards with a frown, asking the half-elf then. “Have you an idea of how they knew I was at this point below the stone? Do these things have ways of seeing through rock? Or is knowing where one is hiding a thing that can be done with… That brain stuff you do?”
User avatar
Skanni
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Skanni »

Lor wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:26 pm She then looked to @Skanni and gave the half-elf a deep bow of her head in recognition of her actions during the battle. They had come close to having Harlock turn from a great asset into their greatest liability. Something that she well suspected that the mixed creature had allowed them to narrowly avoid.

Finally she looked upwards with a frown, asking the half-elf then. “Have you an idea of how they knew I was at this point below the stone? Do these things have ways of seeing through rock? Or is knowing where one is hiding a thing that can be done with… That brain stuff you do?”
Psionics Success for Mind Link
Psionics 1d10!, Wild 1d6!: [1]+[5] = 6
Skanni gives a small smile and replies in Lor's mind, It is certainly something that can be done with brain stuff.

Out loud, she says, "Salvage seems like a good idea to me. If there's something useful left from the caravan, now seems like our last opportunity to try and find it."

Survival 6 if needed for salvaging
Survival 1d4!, Wild 1d6!: [4!, 2]+[4] = 10
Skanni, Half-Elf Psionicist
Parry: 5; Toughness: 8 (2); Notes: Outsider, Heroic, PTSD, Brave
Character Sheet
Resource Tracker
User avatar
Berkyn of Celik
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Berkyn of Celik »

Berkyn leans heavily on the bone spear and does his best to appear 'not overly strong'.

Gravedigger, I am not, my lady.

"I agree. If we are to salvage anything from the caravan, we should do so before the sun gets too high in the sky. We will need a plan to shelter ourselves from the heat should we not make it back here or somewhere else that can provide shade. If we are lucky, we can make a makeshift shelter with what we can find."

Berkyn then pulls out the sausages he grabbed in the desperate flight to the waystation. Tentatively biting into one, he was surprised to find they were quite delicious with a casing that provided just the right amount of snap. Taking out his dagger, he cut them into individual links and tossed them to any of his companions that wanted some breakfast before they moved on.

Bennys: 0/3
Pace: 6 Parry 6 Toughness 5
Wounds: 1/3
Fatigue: 1/2
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Harlock »

Harlock looks sideways at the lady who keeps talking. "Why would we burry fresh meat? We should prepare what we can of it, there is water in the blood and meat in the musles. Then we get away from this way point.

"This place will draw predators, so unless we plan on many fights, leaving is the best thing."
After he finishes he begins working at the disposal of the bodies and salvaging the best parts of the meat. Afterwards he would do as she said and burry the remains. The lady seemed very smart and Harlock thought following her would lead to a longer life. Looking her in the eyes he asks. "What is your name merchant?"
Harlock
Attributes: Agility d4-1, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d6-1, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (0) Size: 3 Reach: 1 (2 w/halberd)
Skills:
  • Athletics d12 (4)
  • Common Knowledge d4 (0)
  • Fighting d10 (5, +1dt)
  • Notice d4 (0)
  • Persuasion d4-1 (0)
  • Psionics d12 (4+1 dt, based on vigor)
  • Shooting d4-2 (0)
  • Stealth d4 (0)
  • Survival d6 (2)

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Resources
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83386#p83386
User avatar
Caro
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Caro »

"I would have to agree with Lor. A delay of a day leaving this former waystation makes sense. I can see what I can
Survival Roll if Necessary for water
  • Survival: 1d8!!+2!!: [1]+2 = 3
    Wild: 1d6!!+2!!: [2]+2 = 4
    Result: 4 - Success.
for water of whatever quality is available for Drader to purify. As I and any other survivalists look for water, the rest can maybe inspect the ruins of the caravan to see if we can salvage anything else. We should travel in at least pairs in case of ambush. Lor I think you should stay with me so I can protect you."
Last edited by Caro on Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caro
Wounds: 2 / 3
Fatigue: 1 / 2
ISP: 9 / 15
Bennies: 2 / 3
Base
  • -1 Bennie to Reroll Fighting in Quick Combat
    -2 Bennies to roll Soaks
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Harlock »

Harlock looks at @Caro and shakes his head, his hands still working on draining the blood from the fallen dragoi. "You both are mistaken then. This place is a trap. Waiting here is only waiting for predators to find us. We do not want to be prey." His skilled hands working on stripping the skin from the creature in his hands as he begins the meat harvesting proccess.

Then looking at @Lor. "I will follow your lead. But consider my words, before you make it."
Harlock
Attributes: Agility d4-1, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d6-1, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (0) Size: 3 Reach: 1 (2 w/halberd)
Skills:
  • Athletics d12 (4)
  • Common Knowledge d4 (0)
  • Fighting d10 (5, +1dt)
  • Notice d4 (0)
  • Persuasion d4-1 (0)
  • Psionics d12 (4+1 dt, based on vigor)
  • Shooting d4-2 (0)
  • Stealth d4 (0)
  • Survival d6 (2)

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Resources
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83386#p83386
User avatar
Lor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Lor »

“Lor Wavir” The merchant answered simply to @Harlock as she looked up and up at the towering figure. “I was to oversee the journey after we had made an upfront investment in Sysra. But it seems they have no manner of luck at all.” Lor shook her head in distaste at this, seemingly not impressed that she was next in line to take charge of the caravan survivors.

“We won’t be spending a full day of salvage. Most of what was brought on the caravan are goods that aren’t useful for our immediate survival. But what we can do is take a few critical supplies with us after a quick look that isn’t being done while we are fighting for our lives during a storm. Afterwards we’ll cover as much ground as we can before the sun gets overhead.”

She then addresses the rest again. “What is the status of our tents? All of this is moot if we’ll have no shade at all once the sun comes overhead. If they’re naught but tatters then we’ll need repairs to them as a minimum before we go.”
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Tribe of One »

With the others seeming to accept — or at least not reject — Lor's leadership, the group gathers its belongings and the departs the waystation before the sun is more than a green glow on the eastern horizon.

This early, the dry air retains a chilly bite, though you know it won't last want the dark sun rises above the dunes. As the light slowly expands, you have little trouble following your tracks from the previous day, which have only half-filled with the silt and sand from the earlier storm.

The sun is visible but still low in the sky when you reach the wreckage of the argossy, guided by the cloud of kes'trekel's circling above. The carrion birds can be dangerous when in a group so large; unlikely to attack alone, they grow agitated and emboldened, apt to swoop down in a flock if razor-sharp talons and beaks rather than waiting for their food to die on its own.

The kes'trekel's aren't the only scavengers. A pack of jhakar — reptilian canines with pug-like underbites — roam the remnants of the caravan. The bulk are gathered around the massive corpses of the mekillots that had pullled the argossy, but a few can be seen moving among the scattered mounds of debris, digging in the sand in search of more tender flesh.

Perhaps more concerning are the shallow depressions that can be seen pockmarking the sand here and there. Something's been burrowing among the wreckage. Best tread carefully.
istockphoto-498502568-612x612.jpg



Salvage Operation

We'll handle this as a dramatic task with two separate tasks: salvaging, and combating the scavengers that got here before you did. Each counts as an action, but there's nothing stopping you from taking multiple actions (with the standard multi-action penalty).

Salvaging
Skills: Athletics, Notice, Repair, Survival and Thievery are the most applicable, but if you can make the case for another skill, go for it. If you use an arcane skill, though, you'll use up 1d4 PP in the process.
Rewards: Each successful check gets your one of the following rewards. Successes don't add additional rewards, but let you choose from higher tiers. So, with a success and raise, you can choose from the "2+" list. Successes and raises are cumulative, so you can add your own to those of any characters who scavenged before you. Rewards marked with ** can only be chosen once.

You manage to scavenge some giant-hair rope, torches, a battered cart or other mundane goods form the wreck. Choose up to 50 cp worth of General Gear (not food, water, armor or weapons) from the Fantasy Companion equipment list.

You may instead choose up to 100 cp of weapons and/or armor.

In addition to the earlier options, you may instead recover up to 50 lbs. of food (such as strings of kip jerky, bags of dates or kola nuts, cabra melons, olives or faro flour) or a stash of silver coins or gems worth 25 sp (ie 250 cp).

Rather than earlier options, you can choose to find a *stash of potion-fruits (1d3+1 fruits of healing that remove 1 Wound and all Fatigue when eaten)* or a pair of crodlu (ostrich-like mounts) with saddles and harnesses that have somehow survived the calamity.

Rather than previous options, you manage to unearth *an unbroken urn from the argossy's water stores, with 30 gallons of water*


Defending Against Scavengers
Skills: Athletics, Fighting, Intimidate, Shooting and arcane skills are most likely, but others could be justified. If using an arcane skill, you'll use up 1d6 PP in the process. When using each skill, you must designate which foe you are targeting — excess successes/raises don't flow over to other foes.
Rewards: Not taking wounds. A number of successes are required to defeat or contain each foe; failure to generate all of the needed successes means some random members of the party will be wounded. Wounds can be soaked with Bennies as usual.
Targets:
D1frk02WkAIReJB.jpg
Failure to kill or scare off the kes'trekels results in 1d3 characters suffering 1 Wound each.

tumblr_ada653eaea0c2bcc7c2a46d9caa0a046_32c86eac_500.jpg
tumblr_ada653eaea0c2bcc7c2a46d9caa0a046_32c86eac_500.jpg (66.15 KiB) Viewed 30417 times
Failure to kill or otherwise handle the jhakar results in 1d4 characters suffering 1 Wound each.

654px-Ankheg_1.png
Several acid-spitting ankhegs have been burrowing under the wreckage. Protected by thick carapaces, the giant, mantis-like insects are especially dangerous and difficult to kill, so rolls are at -2. Failure to deal with them results in 1d3 characters each taking 1d4 Wounds.




GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Caro
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Caro »

Psionic Boost Fighting
  • Psionics: 1d10!!+1!!: [14!!]+1 = 15
    Wild: 1d6!!+1!!: [3]+1 = 4
    Result: 15 - Success with Raise. Fighting now d12+1 with a +1 to Roll (Sorta d12+2)

Fighting (d12+2 -> d12 (Difficulty) -> d12-2 (MaP))
  • Action 1
    • Fighting: 1d12!!-2!!: [4]-2 = 2
      Wild: 1d6!!-2!!: [14!!]-2 = 12
      Result: 12 - Success with Raise. 2/3 Tokens on the Ankhegs
    Action 2
    • Fighting: 1d12!!-2!!: [11]-2 = 9
      Wild: 1d6!!-2!!: [5]-2 = 3
      Result: 9 - Success with Raise. 4/3 Tokens on the Ankhegs


Heading over to the caravan to start with the salvaging, something just struck Caro wrong about things.

I don't know what is wrong, but I have the itch between my shoulder blades that is telling me something is...

"Ankhegs!!!!"


With just that word, Caro breaks into a sprint as he draws his new warclub. Summoning his inner strength, Caro times a leap JUST PERFECTLY to catch the lead Ankheg in the eye, as it surfaces ready to leap on his charge, sinking the club in almost to the dwarf's hand.

"THERE IS NO STINKING WAR THAT A DAMN BUG IS GOING TO CONDEMN MY SOUL BY EATING MY CHARGE!!!"

Leaping off of the twitching Ankheg knowing there was no way it would survive that hit, Caro lands on the back of the neck of the other Ankheg as it starts to also crest out of the sand. Grabbing on with one hand, Caro hits it repeatedly at the base of its skull until the carapace cracks, then totally crumbles under his onslaught.

"STUPID, STUPID, STUPID ANKHEGS!!!"

Calming down after this one also collapses, Caro starts breathing a lot more calmly.

"Lady Wavir, PLEASE stay closer to me while we are near this caravan. It is starting to attract scavengers of the six legged kind."
Last edited by Caro on Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caro
Wounds: 2 / 3
Fatigue: 1 / 2
ISP: 9 / 15
Bennies: 2 / 3
Base
  • -1 Bennie to Reroll Fighting in Quick Combat
    -2 Bennies to roll Soaks
User avatar
Lor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Lor »


2x Salvage Attempts -2 MAP
1 Success (6)
Common Knowledge 1d10!-2: [8]-2 = 6
Wild Die 1d6!-2: [5]-2 = 3

3 Successes (12)
Common Knowledge 1d10!-2: [10!, 2]-2 = 10
Wild Die 1d6!-2: [6!, 6!, 2]-2 = 12

Obtaining 50cp worth of gear for 1st success and the Potion Fruits from the 4+ success result
Number of Potion Fruits 1d3+1: [1]+1 = 2

  • x2 Potion Fruit
  • x2 Barrels
  • A wooden cart
  • bone spikes (pack of 10)
  • shovel
  • hammer
  • crowbar
  • x15 obsidian caltrops
  • x5 canvas

OOC: Giving Drader a bennie to reroll his first salvage attempt

“A lovely dawn for a jaunt, wouldn’t you agree?” Lor would ask Hank the Kank, as the wiggly ant-like creature made its way across the sands towards the salvage site. That first calm of the morning, of a thankful few moments of chill before the beating sun would end up coming overhead were always something to look forward to, even when faced with certain death at a single misstep.

Back at the merchant house in Balic, Lor had always taken to spending the majority of the day inside under cover of cool stone buildings with entrances carefully positioned to leave as much of the burning heat of the day outside, and to also help preserve the encoded ledgers used for accounts. She had no time for the sun, nor wasting time on the outside when so many generations had been devoted to making inside as pleasant as possible. So it was that her pleasant chatter did come with a foreboding ring of annoyance even as the Kank replied to her with a cheerful “Wark!” which Lor took to more or less be a sound of agreement.

“Ah ha! Wonderful that, look at how much appears to be intact. I don’t estimate there to be any problem at all.” The merchant princess said with an optimistic tone as she dismounted and started making her way towards the wreckage without a care in the world.

@Caro would likely have some choice words for her when this was all said and done, as the whirlwind of death he had become suggested otherwise as he took on the buried Ankhegs that Lor seemed to be entirely oblivious to. Giant mantis-like insects that could swallow a person whole, and Lor seemed to miss their presence entirely. Even more infuriatingly so as she appeared to stop at one point to file her nails with a small pumice stone she had found earlier, a contented look on her face as she studied her fingers after the fact as the dwarf narrowly saved her from certain doom. Even the gore from the exploding creatures, that flew in all directions seemed to narrowly miss the human and land around her in a haphazard ring, that she too failed to notice entirely as she moved about distractedly among the wreckage.

“The rarest supplies that needed to be kept away from the heat would have been within Andris personal chambers.” Lor thought to herself as she casually surveyed the wreckage. “Much like you kept that dagger close to your heart, only the best would be with you.” Came her reasoning as she spied a set of curtains jutting out of the sand with the Sysra banner embroidered upon it. Those same curtains that divided Andris’ personal chambers within the argossy.

Kneeling down, Lor gave a series of gentle tugs upon the banner, pulling it out of the sand as a conveniently placed chest was revealed underneath, also somewhat more conveniently not surviving the storm as its lid and lock and been smashed to pieces from the impact of the fall. “Now what do we have here?” Lor asked with an interested look on her face as she pulled out a pair of strange yellow fruits that had survived where the chest itself had not. “Yes, I think you two will do nicely.” Came her pleased conclusion to the find. She knew what these were, and their value was worth their weight in water at this moment.

Still, it wouldn’t hurt to grab a few other things while she was here, Lor thought with a yawn as she grabbed a few other supplies that could be found in logical storage spots among the argossy stores. “All in all, this was a fairly easy and uneventful salvage. I don’t see what all the fuss from the others was about.” She mused, all the while not noticing the series of battles taking place not far off from where she was searching as the others worked hard at keeping her alive.

“I found a few things!” She called out to @Drader then. “You’re the expert at this sort of thing, you don’t want me showing you up do you? What did you find?” The chiding comment somewhat playful and encouraging at the same time.
Last edited by Lor on Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Drader
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Drader »

First the damn storm and the ambush. What else could go wrong. I tell you what else. An insane trader. Most of us barely made it out of the storm and now she wants us to go back for salvage. Never mind the predators out there, did she not understand that we have very little water. Besides the salvage was looking to be hard work.

By the time they got to the wreckage, predators were moving in fast. Drader hastily began to move stuff a side. Well what do you know. Somehow an full barrel with
Second salvage d8!!-1: [6]-1 = 5 Second wild d6!-1: [5]-1 = 4
survived. Maybe the insane @Lor was right. We can defiantly use 30 gallons of water. Drader was completely distract when he found the water that he missed everything else. It was only after Lor called out to him and point to the brown sack. Drader reached down and pulled on the sack. It would not move. He began to dig faster in his excitement. Finally getting it free. Then ne noticed a second sack. Opening the sacks he saw one was full of dates, and the other was dried meat. He estimated there was
Salvage survival with map 1d8-1: [2]-1 = 1 Wild d6!!-1: [4]-1 = 3 Lor benny d8!-1: [5]-1 = 4 Lor wild d6!-1: [6!, 6!, 1]-1 = 12
in the two sacks. He called out to @Harlock to help him get everything loaded onto his kank.

Once he was loaded he called out to @Lor "Let get the hell out of here before the sun bakes us all.
Last edited by Drader on Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Berkyn of Celik
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Berkyn of Celik »

Berkyn grumbled to himself as he held his newly acquired spear in front of him and circled the jakar in a low crouch making sure he stayed out of the creature's line of sight.

Best not to think about what they are feasting on

When the reptilian scavengers shoved their snouts into the carrion it was eating, Berkyn darted in and
1d8!!: [13!!] = 13 1d6!!: [4] = 4 = 2 raises so that should kill both
the bone spear between the pair's ribs just behind the bony plate of the shoulder. Just as quickly, he darted out as their canine maws soaked in blood whipped around and snapped at the space he had occupied mere seconds before.

The jakar made an attempt to charge the bard, but the strikes had pierced both heart and lungs and they managed only a few feet before they collapsed and dyed the sand crimson.

Bennys: 0/3
Pace: 6 Parry 6 Toughness 5
Wounds: 1/3
Fatigue: 1/2
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Harlock »

2 success on Kestrekels, 4 Inner Strength used
Per GM allowed to reassign to Kestrals based on the Jhakars already being defeated.

Fighting Kestrekels Psi-Boosted 1d12!! with +1 skill and -2 map to also kill Jhakar: [5] = 5
Sold versus birds 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Fighting Jhakar Psi-Boosted 1d12!! with +1 skill and -2 map to also kill: [3] = 3
Wild on Jhakar 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Free reroll Fighting Jhakar Psi-Boosted 1d12!! with +1 skill and -2 map to also kill: [6] = 6
Free reroll Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Thinking it is better to keep off the predators the half giant prepares himself and keeps his eyes open for threats. The others could salvage and gather resources, but his strength waas elswhere.

Once the jhakar where slain the Kestrekels saw an opening for some easy food. Harlock was not about to let them have the meat from the teams kill. Imediatly he set about trying to scare them away, but something in the smell of blood brought them down. Harlock had no mercy seeing the Kestrekels as another food source. Psychic whips growing from his arms he lashed out at the creatures. The psychic weapons easily decapitating the creature. However Harlock was not happy with the results. While he lived through it, the birds did get a few attacks through on him, only his dence hide protecting him. "You need to do better." He said outloud to himself.
Harlock
Attributes: Agility d4-1, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d6-1, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (0) Size: 3 Reach: 1 (2 w/halberd)
Skills:
  • Athletics d12 (4)
  • Common Knowledge d4 (0)
  • Fighting d10 (5, +1dt)
  • Notice d4 (0)
  • Persuasion d4-1 (0)
  • Psionics d12 (4+1 dt, based on vigor)
  • Shooting d4-2 (0)
  • Stealth d4 (0)
  • Survival d6 (2)

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Resources
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83386#p83386
User avatar
Vixa
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:58 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Vixa »


Athletics 1d8!!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!!: [11!!] = 11


Vixa snakes through the wreckage with her usual grace and manages to discover a fairly intact cabin with a sizable stash of foodstuffs. Groaning under the load she makes her way back, emerging from the wreck with a large bag of food in tow which she drops it to the sand. "This should be of use but don't expect me to carry it."

Without another thought she turns away from the pile to ready her own gear for the trip ahead.
"Don't Panic"

Vixa
Player: Jim
Active Alts: Sparkmort Zipwidget, John Reid
User avatar
Skanni
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Skanni »

Psionics 16, 3PP Spent
Psionics 1d10!, Wild 1d6!: [3]+[2] = 5
Benny Psionics 1d10!, Wild 1d6!: [3]+[5] = 8
Benny againny Psionics 1d10!, Wild 1d6!: [2]+[6!, 6!, 4] = 18

Power Points 1d6: [3] = 3
Skanni blasts away some of the scavengers from the remains of the caravan.

The other scavengers, that is.
Skanni, Half-Elf Psionicist
Parry: 5; Toughness: 8 (2); Notes: Outsider, Heroic, PTSD, Brave
Character Sheet
Resource Tracker
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Tribe of One »

With little sense of self-preservation, Lor strides among the wreckage of the once-mighty argossy, making a beeline for what little remains of the main hold and the captain's quarters above. As Caro follows behind —making short work of the vicious ankhegs that seek to snack on his charge — manages to unearth a stash of enchanted potion-fruits, along with an intact cart and other useful tools.

As Harlock and Berkyn take care of the jhakar and kes'trekels, Drader and Vixa are free to dig into the sand, unearthing several intact sacks of dates, kip jerky, olives and nuts — altogether, about 100 lbs., enough to feed everyone for five or six days, longer if you are able to supplement it with hunting and gathering. Drader's water sense proves keen, leading him to an unbroken urn from the caravan's water stores, holding 30 gallons.

Not wanting to risk further delay (or danger), the group loads the haul onto Lor's scavenged cart and moves a short way away before pitching tents to wait out the mid-day sun. Even with the shade, the heat is oppressive, a physical and mental weight that saps your will. Carefully rationing your scavenged water, you finish most of what you recovered from the waystation cache, leaving the caravan urn untapped. When the sun has moved low on the western horizon, you pack everything away and set a course northwest across the shadowed dunes.
SEI_132114606.jpg



Food and Water
I set up a post to track group food and water here. With the current group of seven (as Graddock seems to have ghosted) you need 9 gallons of water a day, reduced to 4.5 gallons since you're traveling at dawn and dusk, as well as 19 lbs. of food. We'll say the 5 gallons recovered from the waystation covered today's needs.

Heat
Because of the heat (even avoiding the noon-day sun) each character needs to check Vigor, with no penalty since you're traveling during cooler parts of the day. On a failure you suffer a level of Fatigue from the heat, which lasts until the evening rest unless dealt with using magic or other extraordinary means.

Travel
For travel, we'll use a simplified/tweaked version of the journey rules from the Tomorrow Legion Field Manual. I don't want to get too bogged down doing a post for every day of travel, so I'm going to split it up into legs of the journey. For this post, success will get you through the dunes to the edge of the badlands, roughly a day and a half's travel from here, assuming no detours or other delays.

Below are the actions you can take. A character can attempt more than one action, taking a MAP as usual. If more than one character attempts the same action (other than Support) I'll treat the first roll as the primary roll and any that follow as Support. If using an Arcane Skill roll for anything, pay the PP required for an appropriate power (ie. if using Faith to Support another character's action, pay the cost for boost trait).

Navigator (required)
Setting and maintaining a course.
Skill: Survival, at -1 due to the terrain. Since you're traveling in twilight, the navigator suffers an additional -2 penalty from Dim light.
Success: The party is headed in the right direction and makes good progress.
Raise: Lookout, Scout and Gatherer rolls gain a +1 bonus.
Failure: The party wastes time traveling in circles or doubling back, making no meaningful progress.
Critical Failure: The group heads in the wrong direction and becomes lost. Try again the next day, at -2 penalty to reorient.

Lookout (required)
Keeping an eye out for threats.
Skill: Notice, at -1 due to the terrain. Since you're traveling in twilight, the lookout suffers an additional -2 penalty from Dim light.
Success: You keep a good watch, with encounters determined as normal.
Raise: The party can't be ambushed by a random encounter.
Failure: Each member of the party must check Agility or suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises.
Critical Failure: Each member of the party must check Agility at -2 or suffer a Wound.

Scout (optional)
Reconnoitering, avoiding identified threats.
Skill: Stealth, at -1 since the dunes offer little cover.
Success: The party is forewarned of dangers ahead. Encounters determined as normal.
Raise: Two cards are drawn for each encounter, with the party facing the more beneficial/least dangerous of the two.
Failure: Two cards are drawn for each encounter, with the party facing the more dangerous of the two.
Critical Failure: <<Insert evil GM laugh>>.

Gatherer (optional)
Hunting for food and water.
Skill: Survival, at -1 due to the terrain. Since you're traveling in twilight, the gatherer suffers an additional -2 penalty from Dim light.
Success: You find a gallon of water and 2 lbs. of roots, grubs or other food, as well as shade for one person.
Raise: You find 2.5 gallons of water, 5 lbs. of food and shade for a group. (Water can be doubled as usual w/ elemental manipulation (water).
Failure: You're stuck with whatever you're carrying.
Critical Failure: You mistakenly feed your friends something poisonous. The food and water gathered is wasted and each member of the party must check Vigor at -2 or suffer Wound.

Support
Lend a hand.
Skill: Any
Success: Grant +1 to an ally's roll.
Raise: The bonus increases to +2.
Failure: Better stick to walking.
Critical Failure: You manage to just get in the way, inflicting a -2 penalty on the ally's roll.
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Skanni
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Skanni »

Skanni, her eyes well-used to twilight, keeps a lookout.
Notice 5 for Lookout

Notice 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [6]+[5] = 11 - 1 for terrain, half-elves ignore penalties for dim and dark lighting
Vigor Success
Vigor 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [3]+[1] = 4 + 1 Support from Drader
Skanni, Half-Elf Psionicist
Parry: 5; Toughness: 8 (2); Notes: Outsider, Heroic, PTSD, Brave
Character Sheet
Resource Tracker
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Harlock »

Rolls
Vigor versus heat.
Vigor versus Heat 1d12!! or 1d6!!: [16!!]+[2] = 18

Suvival for Gathering
Suvival for Gathering 1d6!! or 1d6!! with a -1 penalty: [2]+[2] = 4
Harlock was able to endure the heat. As a former gladiator he was often forced to endure the midday heat. At least this time they had shade.

As they begin traveling, knowing the others were more capable than himself he decided to roam a little. Seeking opertunities for gathering resources as hewould return to the group. But his efforts were futile. The rescent storms doing covering most of what he hoped to find. Frustrated twice he came across what should have been edible plants to find the sand had destroyed them.
Harlock
Attributes: Agility d4-1, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d6-1, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (0) Size: 3 Reach: 1 (2 w/halberd)
Skills:
  • Athletics d12 (4)
  • Common Knowledge d4 (0)
  • Fighting d10 (5, +1dt)
  • Notice d4 (0)
  • Persuasion d4-1 (0)
  • Psionics d12 (4+1 dt, based on vigor)
  • Shooting d4-2 (0)
  • Stealth d4 (0)
  • Survival d6 (2)

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Resources
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83386#p83386
User avatar
Caro
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Caro »

Vigor: 1d8!!: [4] = 4
Wild: 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Result: 4 - Success. No Penalty.

Survival at +1 (+2 due Woodsman, -1 due Difficulty, No Penalty due Darkness due Dwarf)
  • Survival: 1d8!!+1!!: [4]+1 = 5
    Wild: 1d6!!+1!!: [4]+1 = 5
    Result: 5 - Success. The party is headed in the right direction and makes good progress.


"I will see what I can do for finding us a good route to follow."
Last edited by Caro on Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caro
Wounds: 2 / 3
Fatigue: 1 / 2
ISP: 9 / 15
Bennies: 2 / 3
Base
  • -1 Bennie to Reroll Fighting in Quick Combat
    -2 Bennies to roll Soaks
User avatar
Drader
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Drader »

WIP - Support everyone's vigor roll by using elemental manipulation to cool you off.
Dice rolls
Faith d10+1: [2]+1 = 3
wild d6+1: [3]+1 = 4
vigor d6+1: [4]+1 = 5
vigor wild d6!+1: [4]+1 = 5
User avatar
Vixa
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:58 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Vixa »


Vigor 1d10!!: [7] = 7
Wild Die 1d6!!: [2] = 2
"Don't Panic"

Vixa
Player: Jim
Active Alts: Sparkmort Zipwidget, John Reid
User avatar
Berkyn of Celik
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Berkyn of Celik »

Berkyn strode beside Caro doing his best to
1d6!!: [3] = 3 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
energy and lessen the impact of the relentless heat.

The two did not have much to talk about, but the bard noticed the dwarf squinting and shading his eyes as he attempted to pick the best path for their motley group. Berkyn knew he wouldn't be much use in actively helping Caro navigate, but perhaps he could ease his, and everyone else's, nerves as they struggled to survive the desert wasteland.

The bard reached into his pack and pulled out an intricately engraved ocarina and began to
1d8!!: [1] = 1 1d6!!: [4] = 4
a slow, deep, soothing tune based off a dwarven ballad he had picked up in a Celik tavern. While not very good, the melody seemed to ease the tension a bit.

Bennys: 0/3
Pace: 6 Parry 6 Toughness 5
Wounds: 1/3
Fatigue: 1/2
User avatar
Lor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Lor »


+1 From Drader's Support
Heat Resist (9) Raise
Vigor 1d6!: [2] = 2
Wild Die 1d6!: [6!, 2] = 8

Notice Support roll for Caro (1)
-1 for terrain, -2 for dim lighting, -2 for one eye hindrance
NOT HELPFUL AT ALL
Notice 1d8!-5: [6]-5 = 1
Wild Die 1d6!-5: [5]-5 = 0


Though able to beat the heat while they travelled, it was to Caro’s detriment that Lor decided that the best use of her time would be to assist her bodyguard with the important task of navigating. Where in addition to being a human who had difficulty seeing in the dark, it quickly became evident that the quartz eye she possessed was merely decorative, and did not help with her depth perception in the slightest. Still, this didn’t seem to dissuade her at all, seeming to grow ever more confident with each piece of useless information she provided to him amid the soothing background sounds of the dwarven song that thankfully held his sanity in check.

“Ah, do be sure to watch out for that pit up ahead.” Lor would say, several minutes after Caro had already spotted it, and where it was practically on top of them by the time his “helper” had discovered it.

“No need to thank me, I think you are doing a wonderful job but one cannot discount the value of proper supervision such as I am providing. Oh, be sure to travel in a straight line, you don’t want us to be moving in circles do you?” Lor would advise, even as the dwarf held her by the arm with a sour expression as he continued to adjust the merchants course as she had at that moment taken a gradual left by accident that would lead her to nowhere.

“Can you believe there are people out here who do this all the time instead of staying indoors and having their servants bring their provisions to them? I know you must find the notion to be ridiculous, but I swear it is true! It is a strange land we live in I suppose. Thankfully you and I are not of that sort.” With a glance to Berkyn she then added. “Oh, yes I imagine you wouldn’t be either, do not worry. What an offensive implication such a thing would be! Might I say that you are playing quite the wonderful tune? What do you call it?”
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Tribe of One »

Loaded with plunder from the ruined caravan and no worse for wear after defeating various wild scavengers, the group of survivors sets a course across the sands to the northwest.

Electing to travel during the comparatively cooler hours around dawn and dusk, and aided by Drader's soothing magic, the group manages to limit its water needs while avoiding heatstroke. With Caro's dwarven eyes unbothered by the dim twilight, the party makes good progress across the dunes, avoiding any predators thanks to the half-elf Skanni's careful watch.

Although a boon as far as avoiding conflict, the desolate landscape offers little in the way of nourishment. Harlock's attempts to find water or bolster the group's stores by foraging prove fruitless, forcing the party to tap the provisions recovered from the wreck of the argossy. The cart is noticeably lighter — some quick calculations suggest that, without cutting rations, you have 3-4 days worth of food and 4-5 days of water.
Ty8G2dO.jpg
Mid-way through the second day of travel, the dunes begin to grow smaller as the sandy wastes give way to equally arid badlands full of rocky outcroppings — just as likely to offer a place for ambush as they are to provide a narrow bit of shade. Despite the continued danger, the change in terrain is at least a sign of progress. According to Andris's map, the House Wavir outpost should only another five days journey northwest, assuming you're able to maintain your current pace.

With the sun nearing its zenith, you stop at the edge of the dunes to make your mid-day camp. Already the heat is conjuring mirages from the surrounding sand that shimmer in the strange, shadow-less light of noon. The crimson rays of the sun beat down on your shoulders, but before the lethargy takes hold, Skanni calls out a warning — from the heatwaves to the south, several tall silhouettes emerge, solidifying into a trio of crodlu-mounted outriders.

Easily identified as scouts from the doomed caravan, the three riders appear to have had as harrowing an experience as your own party. The scaled hides of their mounts are scratched and dusty, their bone-tipped lances bloodstained and pitted. Empty waterskins hang from their saddles, their lips chapped and flaking.

"Hail, travelers," calls the lead rider, a barrel-chested mul you recognize from the argossy by his missing ear. "Hasn't been as rewarding a journey as old Andris promised, has it?" You notice his eyes scanning across your numbers, lingering a little longer on the water urn and foodsacks piled into your cart. "Although maybe not quite as desperate as some."

The riders amble closer, but stop at a distance that could just be considered respectful. The mul continues, "Seen any other survivors? Anyone else make it out alive? We've seen nothing civilized since ... but plenty out here that will put an end to the unwary. We'll all be safer traveling together."

In the hard glare of the sun, it's difficult to read the mul's blunt expression, as he waits on you to respond.
Brom_Dune-Trader.jpg
Notice 4
The riders have clearly been scavenging, as you have. You can make out a few recognizable pieces of clothing — a bright scarf, or feathered cloak — that belonged to other passengers hanging from their saddles, along with mismatched weapons. As the leader talks, you notice one of the men glance to the west and the large rocks on the edge of the badlands, while the other keeps an eye to the north.
Notice 8
It's not much, but you notice a flicker of movement among the rocks to the west, and what might be a couple of men with flatbows half-buried in sand to the north.


How do you respond? Feel free to roleplay, use social skills, describe preparations or maneuvering, etc. Obviously aggressive actions are likely to trigger combat and an initiative roll.
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Lor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Lor »


Note: One Eye Hindrance applies a -2 for distant targets only. Success values for Lor are 4 (close targets) and 10 (distant targets) for the raise.
Success (7) - 4 Result applied
Notice 1d8!: [5] = 5
Wild Die 1d6!: [6!, 1] = 7

Will be attempting to persuade the mul and his team to join up
+2 Dune Trader Persuasion bonus
+1 from Caro's Support roll
-2 from Harlock's Support roll
+1 from Drader's Support roll
Result (10)
Persuasion 1d12!+1: [6]+1 = 7
Wild Die 1d6!+1: [3]+1 = 4
Charismatic free reroll
Persuasion 1d12!+1: [6]+1 = 7
Wild Die 1d6!+1: [5]+1 = 6
Bennie
Persuasion 1d12!+1: [1]+1 = 2
Wild Die 1d6!+1: [5]+1 = 6
More Bennie
Persuasion 1d12!+1: [7]+1 = 8
Wild Die 1d6!+1: [5]+1 = 6

Last edited by Lor on Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 8 times in total.
User avatar
Caro
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Caro »

Notice: 1d8!!: [13!!] = 13
Wild: 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Result: 13 - Success with Raise.
  • The riders have clearly been scavenging, as you have. You can make out a few recognizable pieces of clothing — a bright scarf, or feathered cloak — that belonged to other passengers hanging from their saddles, along with mismatched weapons. As the leader talks, you notice one of the men glance to the west and the large rocks on the edge of the badlands, while the other keeps an eye to the north.

    It's not much, but you notice a flicker of movement among the rocks to the west, and what might be a couple of men with flatbows half-buried in sand to the north.


"For survivors, I am not sure whether the movement to the West and/or the men with flatbows to the North are yours and you are just being cautious... but if not, we may all be in for some excitement. I just hope for your sake that those men are not a part of any ambush by you... because if so, YOU will be my first target. I would rather not have to have to do anything rash to protect my charge here."

"Lor, THIS TIME, PLEASE stay by my side. I don't want to have to chase after you to kill anything that may try to kill you you again... like that pair of Ankhegs from earlier, or the Belgoi we encountered around the abandoned waystation."


Psionics: 1d10!!+1!!: [8]+1 = 9
Wild: 1d6!!+1!!: [5]+1 = 6
Result: 9 - Success with Raise. Intimidation -> d6. 1 PP

Intimidation: 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Wild: 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Result: 4 - Success. Assist to Lor's Persuasion of +1.


Keeping his attention visibly on all three groups, Caro pointedly drops his right hand to his warclub.
Caro
Wounds: 2 / 3
Fatigue: 1 / 2
ISP: 9 / 15
Bennies: 2 / 3
Base
  • -1 Bennie to Reroll Fighting in Quick Combat
    -2 Bennies to roll Soaks
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Harlock »

OOC Comments
Notice 1d4!! or Wild 1d6!!: [1]+[14!!] = 15
Harlock eyes the new comers suspiciously and he sees the hunters. With all the sublty of an earthquake Harlock points at the guy who glanced to the hunters in the distance and says. "That one there gave away the presense of his friends." then pointing to the distant hunters. "I think that ruins your ambush plans?" Watching them carefully for clues that they really did intend an ambush or if only the one rider knew of the hunters.
Harlock
Attributes: Agility d4-1, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d6-1, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (0) Size: 3 Reach: 1 (2 w/halberd)
Skills:
  • Athletics d12 (4)
  • Common Knowledge d4 (0)
  • Fighting d10 (5, +1dt)
  • Notice d4 (0)
  • Persuasion d4-1 (0)
  • Psionics d12 (4+1 dt, based on vigor)
  • Shooting d4-2 (0)
  • Stealth d4 (0)
  • Survival d6 (2)

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Resources
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83386#p83386
User avatar
Lor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Lor »

OOC: using rolls from this post Here: https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83615#p83615 Notice 7, Persuasion 10
Lor tried not to think about the simple math involved if their luck with finding water or food for the rest of their journey went as well as it did for this leg of the trip and the number of days that remained. But it was more than likely that those who had none of the above were in more desperate straits than they were, if their salvaging for supplies found little of what they needed with regards to nourishment.

Having not taken note of the archers hidden from view, Lor had already stepped forward to open her mouth in way of greeting to the Mul leader until the moment that Caro had held her back and Harlock decided to blatantly point out what he had seen, drawing her attention to the right a bit.

“Well that was somewhat horrifying.” Lor said with a somewhat defeated look on her face when faced with the bluntness of her companions in starting off the conversation. Still, perhaps a little stick to be used with her carrot wouldn’t be completely amiss.

“As you knew the name of the caravan leader, you’ve done well to identify yourselves as those who were among us and not random salvagers. I thank you for that.” Lor smiled at him, with a small friendly gesture and half wave to indicate appreciation and to pass that particular bit of information to the others.

“I am Lor Waivr, and in charge of those that remain. Our outpost and safety is an estimated 5 days from here, to which I possess the knowledge of its location.” She paused a moment then to assess the desperation in their faces before continuing. “The lack of food and water can drive a reasonable person to do desperate things. But as my companion has alluded to just now, that there are far more tangible and immediate dangers in the waste beyond a measure of thirst which can be managed with some luck and skill in hunting such things down.”

Lor motioned to her own armed companions and then to theirs before continuing. “A battle of desperation here would allow for one of us to be victorious, and more than likely wounded and tired. A perfect target for the next set of creatures that fancies those who came out on top to be their next meal. However, if we were to instead adhere to pragmatic sense and join forces, it would provide extra protection and a valuable deterrent to such things. Moreso, with more of us searching for provisions with safety in numbers, we should be able to find what we need and be able to make it to the outpost if we use careful rationing.”

“You can risk it all to gain very little and for a short time, or work together with us to make it to safety with far less risk to you all. What say you?”
Last edited by Lor on Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
Berkyn of Celik
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Berkyn of Celik »

Berkyn steps up to stand beside Lor and Caro
1d6!!: [1] = 1 1d6!!: [3] = 3
the surrounding area. Focused on conserving energy, he did not see what his companions were talking about in the heat and glare of the desert sun.

“You are right about Andris’ ill informed optimism, my friend. Unfortunately, you won’t have the opportunity to tell him about it. Seems we are all that is left of our ill-fated company. I am Berkyn of Celik, humble troubadour to the late Andris’ caravan. I cannot offer you provisions as I owe this lot my life, myself, and am indebted to them. What I can offer is my services as a healer. I will provide whatever respite I can to you and your companions.”

And should it suit me, give you a dose of toxin that will leave you convulsing and rotting in this infernal heat.

Bennys: 0/3
Pace: 6 Parry 6 Toughness 5
Wounds: 1/3
Fatigue: 1/2
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Harlock »

Support Critical Failure
Support control of group Persuasion 1d4!! or 1d6!! with a -1: [1]+[1] = 2
Lor wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:33 pm “You can risk it all to gain very little and for a short time, or work together with us to make it to safety with far less risk to you all. What say you?”
Harlocks mouth moves before he thinks. "We do not have enough supplies for them." Seeing the reaction on the faces of the new arrivals Harlock gets mad at himself. What was he doing, the last few days have been one failure after another. He needed to get back on the ball.
Harlock
Attributes: Agility d4-1, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d6-1, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (0) Size: 3 Reach: 1 (2 w/halberd)
Skills:
  • Athletics d12 (4)
  • Common Knowledge d4 (0)
  • Fighting d10 (5, +1dt)
  • Notice d4 (0)
  • Persuasion d4-1 (0)
  • Psionics d12 (4+1 dt, based on vigor)
  • Shooting d4-2 (0)
  • Stealth d4 (0)
  • Survival d6 (2)

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Resources
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83386#p83386
User avatar
Drader
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Drader »

Drader notices some of the others. He approaches @Lor . Holding a empty waterskin he mutters a few sounds then the waters kind fills with clean water. He passes it to Lor. "For our friends. They look thirsty."

+1 support
Dice rolls
Notice d8!!: [7] = 7
Notice wild d6!!: [2] = 2
Faith d10!!+1: [1]+1 = 2
Faith wild d6!!+1: [3]+1 = 4
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Tribe of One »

You watch as a parade of emotions cross the mul outrider's face: first annoyance, when Caro points out the hidden reinforcements, then eye-rolling disbelief as the dwarf boasts of the monsters the group has killed. There's amusement and a smirk that promises later punishment when Harlock calls out the guilty party and a mocking sneer as Lor speaks. That eventually gives way to concern as the offers of mutual aid continue, prompting him to stand tall in his saddle and offer a scathing retort, his scarred visage transformed into the stuff of nightmares.

Intimidate to maintain control of his troops is 19
Intimidate 1d8!!+2 1d6!!+2: [14!!]+2+[17!!]+2 = 35 = 19
"We already let one merchant lead us out here to our deaths, why let another even softer than he take us the rest of the way? You should have stayed in the city, girl, your brain's been baked by the sun even if it hasn't touched those ivory shoulders. Anyone who's ever survived a trip through the desert knows large groups live or die based on what they pack with them. A few may be able to scavenge, but there's no spring within a hundred miles big enough to quench the thirsts of a dozen humans, let alone fill a half-giant. Faster to cut to our own throats than follow along with you ..."

A sly look comes over his face as he notices Andris's scabbard hanging from Lor's waist.

"And I see you're carrying the old master's blade now, are you? Funny that, how he's dead and you've got a bunch of his cargo piled in your cart. Maybe that was your plan all along ... House Wavir encouraging a rival to bet it all on one last run — heading to a Wavir outpost, of all places — and then call down that unnatural storm so you can scoop up what's left and haul it off to your fat Wavir masters."

The mul's grip on his bone lance tightens as his voice rises, plenty loud for those waiting behind the rocks and dunes to hear.

"Well, we're not soft like that old fool Andris. Way I see it, whatever you've got in that cart is a start on the wages owed all of us. I was gonna offer you the chance to walk away without it, but you'd probably use your witchcraft to call another storm. Best to let your blood water the sand — but keep the dwarf alive, boys, he's a water-caller."

With a howling warcry the mul spurs his mount forward, his bloodstained lance leveled in a charge."Kill the Wavir witch! Take back what's ours!"

dark-sun-1.jpg


Initiative Draw: PCs go first
Drawn from a physical deck
Lor: Jack of Spades
Harlock: 5 Diamonds
Drader: 8 Clubs
Caro: 7 Hearts
Vixa: 5 Spades
Berkyn: 4 Spades
Skanni: 2 Clubs

Enemies: 4 Hearts; Majority of PCs exceed that so PCs go first
Okay, the mul's roll aced a bunch and he was able to maintain control over his fighters before calling them to attack. Combat was not unexpected, so no roll for surprise and you all won initiative.

I got as close as I could as far as a map, so please ignore any discrepancies as far as direction ... to the north, you have the mul and two other outriders on crodlus; to the east, a pair of scouts armed with flatbows; and among the rocks to the west, four men on foot with various spears and scavanged weapons.

When you act, go ahead and let me know where you want your token placed on the map — as far as starting position, anywhere between Q10-16 and X10-16 is fine.

Round1.JPG
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Caro
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Caro »

Starting at Q10, Caro knows he has to take care of his charge.

"Lor... I will clear the path for you to the rocks to the West. MOVE IT!!!"

Adept for Warrior's Gift - Frenzy
  • Psionics: 1d10!!+1!!: [4]+1 = 5
    Wild: 1d6!!+1!!: [3]+1 = 4
    Result: 5 - Success. 2 PP
    • A character with Frenzy rolls a second Fighting die with any one of his Fighting attacks for the turn. The extra die may be allocated to the same or different targets as he sees fit. Resolve each separately.
Fighting with Warclub on Spear Wielder
  • Fighting: 1d10!!+1!!: [4]+1 = 5
    Fighting: 1d10!!+1!!: [13!!]+1 = 14
    Wild: 1d6!!+1!!: [8!!]+1 = 9
    Results: 14 and 9 - Hit with Raise and Hit
    • Hit 1: Damage: 3d6!!: [4, 4, 8!!] = 16 - 1 Wound
      Hit 2: Damage: 2d6!!: [4, 1] = 5 - No Effect


Making his way purposefully towards the
Going to K10 to attack J9
, Caro falls into his battle meditation and makes two lightning quick swings with his warclub. Caro jabs him in the gut before smacking him in the head.

"Lor... get behind me in among the rocks. Those Crodlus won't let them come in from behind... and even if they dismount, they will waste time climbing and let me get there to intercept them."
Last edited by Caro on Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Caro
Wounds: 2 / 3
Fatigue: 1 / 2
ISP: 9 / 15
Bennies: 2 / 3
Base
  • -1 Bennie to Reroll Fighting in Quick Combat
    -2 Bennies to roll Soaks
User avatar
Lor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Lor »


Multi actioning once.

Taunt Test on the Mul Leader
-2 from MAP
Result (11) Versus Smarts. If his resist roll is is 0-7 he is Distracted and Shaken, if his roll is 8-10 he is Distracted only. >10 he resists entirely.
Taunt 1d8!-2: [8!, 5]-2 = 11
Wild Die 1d6!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Dune Trader free re-roll
Taunt 1d8!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Wild Die 1d6!-2: [3]-2 = 1

Supporting Skani's Psionics and Harlock's Fighting rolls with Work the Room
+1 from Attractive, -2 from MAP
Result (10) and (24) Two Raise's. +2 to Skani's next Psionics roll and +2 to Harlock's next Fighting roll
Persuasion 1d12!-1: [1]-1 = 0
Persuasion 1d12!-1: [5]-1 = 4
Wild Die 1d6!-1: [1]-1 = 0
Charismatic free re-roll
Persuasion 1d12!-1: [11]-1 = 10
Persuasion 1d12!-1: [12!, 12!, 1]-1 = 24
Wild Die 1d6!-1: [1]-1 = 0

OOC Mechanics:
  • Taunt Test vs Mul Leader's Smarts (11)
  • +2 Support to Skani's Psionics and Harlock's Fighting rolls
  • Moving 6 Pace From Q11 to L10
  • Going Prone

Lor stared blankly as the Mul spoke back aggressively in order to maintain control of his band, utilizing the fear of uncertainty and a dry throat in the coming days along with a promised water ration was an effective if crude negotiating tactic. Lor however crossed her arms with a disappointed look on her face as he started going on about her being a witch. He was obviously getting desperate and going off the cuff, yet it seemed enough to keep his men in line. Really Andris should have had a better vetting process when hiring his soldiers… If the storm hadn’t done him in then he would have been double crossed eventually.

“Ah yes, I must have used my awe inspiring powers to destroy an entire caravan worth of goods for the sake of a pot of water and a pile of figs. I can see you’re obviously the brains of the group after coming up with that rock solid motivation. Lets consider this your resignation then.” Lor spoke out with a flick of her wrist as she gave a jab to the leader then, perhaps with a little more bravado than she would have had she not been standing immediately behind her bodyguard. The height difference allowing her to address the leader clearly.

“Harlock, do be so kind as to do that thing you do where you tear their arms off. For some odd reason they thought it a wise decision to take on a half-giant. Give them a reason to have fear for the last few moments of their short existences.” She says confidently to the brute who had pointed out the hidden archers earlier.

“Oh and Skanni, I know it will be difficult to locate a target so small as their brains, but I saw what you pulled off during the battle with the Bulgoi and I haven’t forgotten your value. If anyone can melt such a thing, surely it can be you!” She then flashed a smile to the half-elf a moment before she was suddenly jerked away by Caro behind the rocks as the rampaging dwarf went on his next killing spree. As he moved to attack the figure next to them, Lor prepared a congratulations to him as well, before looking to the south and seeing that she was now completely open to the other archers below the second set of rocks.

“Ah Caro! Perhaps, we should… oh, just carry on. You are the expert!” She offered as she crouched abruptly and hoped that she wasn’t hit by a barrage of projectiles.
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Harlock »

Harlock's left eye narrows a bit as the man begins rambling. "You talk a lot." He says as readies himself. Then reaching within himself he calls on his natural talent as an inherant warrior psychic energy manifest around his the great axe he pulls as he leaps forward landing in the middle of the group and lashing out. The axe bites deep slicing through the mounted riders. Even from their mounts their heads still bellow his, it is easy to target them and the animals they were on in a flury of sweeping strikes.

OOC Comments

Action Mechanics
Free Action: Warrior's Gift for Sweep (Raise = Improved Sweep, so no -2)
Warrior's Gift Psionics 1d12!! or 1d6!!: [2]+[9!!] = 11

Movement, into the enemies
Action: Sweep attack the enemies
(+2 from support)
Sweep Attack Fighting 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [6]+[4] = 10
Improved Sweep made this an 8
Last Benny for Sweep Attack 1d10!! or 1d6!! +2 to highest: [15!!]+[3] = 18

Damage to P1 Mount
P1 Mount 1d12!! 1D10!! 1d6!! AP 2: [14!!]+[4] = 18 P1 Mount 1d10!!: [9] = 9

Damage to P1 Rider
P1 Rider 1d12!! 1D10!! 1d6!! AP 2: [7]+[1] = 8 P1 Rider 1d10!!: [6] = 6


Damage to T1 Mount
T1 Mount 1d12!! 1D10!! 1d6!! AP 2: [7]+[4] = 11 T1 Mount 1d10!!: [6] = 6

Damage to T1 Rider
T1 Ryder 1d12!! 1D10!! 1d6!! AP 2: [11]+[5] = 16 T1 Rider 1d10!!: [4] = 4


Damage to R2 mount
R2 (boss) Mount 1d12!! 1D10!! 1d6!! AP 2: [1]+[3] = 4 R2 (boss) mount 1d10!!: [8] = 8

Damage to R2 Rider (Boss)
R2 (boss) Ryder 1d12!! 1D10!! 1d6!! AP 2: [5]+[5] = 10 R2 (boss) Rider 1d10!!: [1] = 1

Final Location R1 (maybe S1 also if we are two squares large)
Harlock
Attributes: Agility d4-1, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d6-1, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (0) Size: 3 Reach: 1 (2 w/halberd)
Skills:
  • Athletics d12 (4)
  • Common Knowledge d4 (0)
  • Fighting d10 (5, +1dt)
  • Notice d4 (0)
  • Persuasion d4-1 (0)
  • Psionics d12 (4+1 dt, based on vigor)
  • Shooting d4-2 (0)
  • Stealth d4 (0)
  • Survival d6 (2)

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Resources
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83386#p83386
User avatar
Skanni
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Skanni »

15 Psionics for TK Shield (Deflection)
1d10! Psionics, 1d6! Wild: [9]+[6!, 6!, 1] = 22 +2 from Support
-11 PP to cover everyone
Skanni, holds one hand to her head while she focuses her mind. It's not strictly necessary to touch her head, of course, but it does help.

With her other hand, she gestures around her at her companions, and bubbles of faintly orange energy snap into place around each of them.

"This will make you harder to hit! Kill 'em quick."

SKANNI AND ALL HER TEAMMATES ARE -2 TO BE HIT BY ANY ATTACK, RANGED OR MELEE.

She winks at @Lor. "Easier than trying to find their brains."
Skanni, Half-Elf Psionicist
Parry: 5; Toughness: 8 (2); Notes: Outsider, Heroic, PTSD, Brave
Character Sheet
Resource Tracker
User avatar
Berkyn of Celik
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Berkyn of Celik »

As the mul raises his lance and prepares to charge, Berkyn finds himself in a very precarious
R6
.

Well this isn't good

Drawing his blade, coated in a yellowish ichor that glistens in the sun, Berkyn considers his options: give ground to the rocks or...

And then Harlock's massive form is there, cleaving into the riders with his axe.

Well I guess its option two, then

Berkyn darts forward as Harlock finishes his sweeping strikes using the half-giant as
Stealth to avoid notice 1d6!!: [5] = 5 1d6!!: [5] = 5 not including -2 from Lor's Distraction
inside the reach of the mul leader's reach
1d8!!: [6] = 6 1d6!!: [1] = 1 +3 for Close Fighting +1 for Gang Up +2 from Vulnerable if not Noticed = 10 or 12, Damage 1d6!!: [2] = 2 1d4!!: [7!!] = 7 =9 +2 from Assassin if not noticed 11, or if raise 1d6!!: [3] = 3 14 damage
the half dwarf's thigh. The strike was likely not lethal, but Berkyn hoped the
Strong paralytic poison Vigor at additional -2
on the blade would do it's work.

That's my strongest dose you half-breed bastard

Parry is 9 vs. the leader, end position is T3

Bennys: 0/3
Pace: 6 Parry 6 Toughness 5
Wounds: 1/3
Fatigue: 1/2
User avatar
Drader
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Drader »

As Drader started to turn back from @Lor he heard the mul call the attack. Turning back Drader was torn between his loyalty (hinderance) to his friends and he sense of self preservation. Then his fury began to boil over. He lived to be loyal and to bring water to those that needed. He had offered water freely to the mul and he stick attacked.

Losing it Drader yelled "you dare break the water truce, you half breed cur. May the sands drink you blood.

Drader's muscle tightened as his animalistic natural took over. He began to move like a natural
+2 dice fighting Multi action boost d10!!-2: [15!!]-2 = 13 Wild boost d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Then a roar he rushed the mul and snapped out with his whip
Fighting d8!!-2: [3]-2 = 1 Fighting wild d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1 benny d8!!-2: [14!!]-2 = 12 benny wild d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3 Damage 2d4!!+d6!!: [3, 3]+[1] = 7
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Tribe of One »

As the mul rallies his ragtag band to attack, your group of survivors wastes no time taking the initiative.

With Lor's safety his primary focus, Caro runs west, cutting down one of the warriors hidden there as he looks for a defensible position for his charge. Lor, following behind, calls out directions to the others as she taunts the mul leader, who appears apoplectic with rage.

Mul vs. Taunt
Smarts 1d6!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-1: [4]-1 = 3
Mul is Distracted and Shaken


Harlock charges in, his obsidian axe a crescent of death that sweeps across the riders. The westernmost crodlu falls, its head flying over the half-giant's shoulder, as its rider leaps free, having avoided the worst of the grisly blade.
Vigor to Soak 1d8!!: [6] = 6 = Soaks the wound
Riding 1d8!!: [6] = 6 Leaps free


The eastern rider is not so lucky and is cleaved in two along with his mount.

The mul blocks the axe with his shield, absorbing the shock of the blow, though his crodlu is Shaken.

Harlock shakes leader's mount, 1 wound to leader (who was already Shaken)
Wild Card Benny to Soak (-2 Distracted, +2 from Iron Jaw)
Vigor 1d12!!: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6!!: [11!!] = 11 = Mul soaks, no longer Shaken


Failing to notice Berkyn sneaking up behind Harlock, the mul is oblivious to the poisoned knife blow, which fails to pierce his armor.
Mul notice vs. Berkyn, -2 due to Distracted
Notice 1d8!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0 Mul is Vulnerable, but Gang Up doesn't apply because of his crodlu (which cancels out the bonus from Harlock). Attack hits, barely, but fails to do enough damage to Shake.


Drader charges forward, lashing at the mul with his whip, attempting to distract the already enraged mul.
Fails to do damage, mul was already Distracted.


Finally reacting, the two men with flatbows hidden on the dunes take aim at Skanni, whose hand gestures marked her as some kind of mindbender or witch. Both shots strike true, but only one deeply enough to wound.

NOTE: Timmy didn't specify a position for Skanni, so I placed her where she would need to be in order to be within Smarts range of all Deflection recipients

Scouts fire at Skanni, -2 from Deflection, +1 from Marksman
Shooting 1d8!!-1: [6]-1 = 5 = Hit
Shooting 1d8!!-1: [6]-1 = 5 = Hit
Damage 2d6!!: [4, 2] = 6 AP 2 = Shaken
Damage 2d6!!: [5, 5] = 10 AP 2 = 1 Wound


Among the rocks to the south, two warriors move to engage Caro and Lor, using their long spears to jab viciously at the pair. Prone as she is, Lor is even less able to defend herself than usual and suffers a piercing blow.

Attacking with Reach. Both use Wild Attack, canceling out Deflection.
First attacks Caro
Fighting 1d8!!: [2] = 2 = Miss
Second attacks Lor
Fighting 1d8!!: [2] = 2 = Hit, since she was Prone, reducing her Parry to 2
1d8!!+1d6!!+2: [3]+[4]+2 = 9 = 1 Wound


The third warrior rushes out onto the sand to engage Vixa, jabbing wildly at the halfling with his spear but failing to land a blow.
Attacking with reach with spear and using Wild Attack to cancel Deflection.
Fighting 1d8!!: [5] = 5 = Miss



Surviving outrider rolls to Support mul's Fighting
Notice to Support 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Tribe of One »

The surviving outrider drops his lance and draws an obsidian-edged sword, calling out Harlock's moves and vulnerabilities to the mul as he circles to the half-giant's flank.

GM Benny spent
Notice to Support 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5 = +1 to Mul's Fighting


Dropping his own lance, the scarred mul draws a wickedly spiked obsidian mace, attacking Harlock in a frenzy and landing a vicious blow. His war-trained mount bites and scratches at the half-giant, as well, but fails to gain purchase.

Attacks with Frenzy, -2 Distracted, -2 Deflection, +1 Support
Fighting 1d10!!-3: [5]-3 = 2 = Miss
Fighting 1d10!!-3: [19!!]-3 = 16 = Hit with Raise
Wild 1d6!!-3: [4]-3 = 1
Damage 1d12!!+1d8!!+1d6!!+2: [9]+[1]+[2]+2 = 14
Wild Card Benny to reroll
Damage 1d12!!+1d8!!+1d6!!+2: [3]+[2]+[5]+2 = 12
GM Benny to reroll
Damage 1d12!!+1d8!!+1d6!!+2: [8]+[5]+[11!!]+2 = 26 = 3 Wounds
Crodlu roll to Unshake
Spirit 1d6!!: [1] = 1 = Fails
GM Benny to Unshake
Fighting 1d8!!-2: [5]-2 = 3 = Miss
Forgot Riding roll earlier to stay mounted after crodlu was Shaken
Riding 1d8!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Free reroll from Born in the Saddle
Riding 1d8!!-2: [6]-2 = 4 = Success
Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0


Initiative Draw: Enemies go first
Drawn from physical deck
Lor: Queen of Hearts
Harlock: 6 Diamonds
Drader: 6 Hearts
Caro: 3 Hearts
Vixa: 2 Spades
Berkyn: 9 Diamonds
Skanni: 3 Spades

Enemies: King of Diamonds; Enemies go first
Seizing the momentum, the desperate ambushers press the assault.

The archers on the dune reload their flatbows, then fire a second volley at Skanni, who is struck again, more deeply.

Scouts fire at Skanni, -2 from Deflection, +1 from Marksman
Shooting 1d8!!-1: [4]-1 = 3 = Miss
Shooting 1d8!!-1: [5]-1 = 4 = Hit
Damage 2d6!!: [11!!, 3] = 14 , AP 2 = 2 Wounds


The spearmen attacking Caro and Lor continue their vicious assault, jabbing wildly at the pair. The one attacking Caro breaks his spear, which he drops and draws a short, thrusting blade of bone instead. The other stabs Lor again, drawing yet more blood from the defenseless merchant.

Attacking with Reach. Both use Wild Attack, canceling out Deflection.
First attacks Caro
Fighting 1d8!!: [1] = 1 = Weapon breaks
Second attacks Lor
Fighting 1d8!!: [4] = 4 = Hit
Damage 1d8!!+1d6!!+2: [5]+[3]+2 = 10 = 1 Wound


Circling Vixa, the third spearman has no more luck than before, failing to pierce the halfling warrior's guard with his desperate thrusts.


Attacking with reach with spear and using Wild Attack to cancel Deflection.
Fighting 1d8!!: [6] = 6


To the north, the mountless outrider continues to circle Harlock, slashing wildly at the half-giant and taking advantage of the distraction of the mul and his crodlu on the other flank, but failing to connect.


+2 Wild Attack, +1 Gang up bonus due to mul and crodlu (Berkyn cancels 1), -2 Deflection
Fighting 1d8!!+1: [4]+1 = 5 = Miss


The mul, meanwhile, presses the attack with a clearer head. Keeping his guard up, he smashes again at the half-giant with the bloody mace, which gouges bloody grooves in Harlock's unarmored flesh.

+1 Gang up bonus, -2 Deflection
Fighting 1d10!!-1: [9]-1 = 8 = Hit
Fighting 1d10!!-1: [6]-1 = 5
Wild 1d6!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
Damage 1d12!!+1d8!!+2: [11]+[2]+2 = 15 = 1 Wound


Turning its attention to smaller prey, his crodlu snaps and claws at Berkyn, but the bard narrowly ducks out of range.

-2 Deflection, no Gang Up
Fighting 1d8!!-2: [7]-2 = 5




Round2.JPG



You're up! For the purposes of tracking status effects, etc., the enemies' first set of actions occurred at the end of Round 1, followed by the second set of actions at the top of Round 2, since they won initiative.

For reference, all three spearmen and the mount-less outrider are Vulnerable due to using Wild Attacks. Modified Parry and Toughness values for reference:

Spearmen, Parry 5 (4 for the guy attacking Caro, who broke his spear); Toughness 9(2)
Outrider, Parry 6; Toughness 10 (4)
Mul leader, Parry 10; Toughness 12 (4)
War-crodlu, Parry 6; Toughness 13 (4)
Crossbowmen, Parry 4 (since they're Prone, but -4 to hit at range); Toughness 8 (2)
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Harlock »

The blow lands on Harlock hard. But the half giant was able to twist his body so that most of the blow missed, drawing only a little blood.


Soak with Lor Benny 1d12!! or Wild 1d6!!: [3]+[7!!] = 10
Soak using EP Benny 1d12!! or Wild 1d6!!: [6]+[5] = 11
Unarmored Hero adds +2, so Soaks 2 wounds

Soak using EP Benny 1d12!! or Wild 1d6!!: [23!!]+[1] = 24
Go figure, could have used this on the three wound attack.

When the Mul comes at him again with the follow up attack Harlock was ready and braced for the pain of the attack.


Psionics as free action for warriors gift to gain Frenzy 1d12!! or Wild 1d6!!: [8]+[3] = 11 Wound penalty means this is not a raise.

Wild Attack Mul with Frenzy 1d10!! and 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!! Wild and Wound for neg 1 total: [2]+[8]+[7!!] = 17
Gang up Berkyn and Drader = 1 hit

Damage 1d12!! and 1d10!! and Wild +2 and AP 2: [10]+[1] = 11
Harlock, calling on his psionic power again tries for the opening created in the flurry of blows. But his wounds frustrate the effort causing the blow to only glance the Mul.
Harlock
Attributes: Agility d4-1, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d6-1, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (0) Size: 3 Reach: 1 (2 w/halberd)
Skills:
  • Athletics d12 (4)
  • Common Knowledge d4 (0)
  • Fighting d10 (5, +1dt)
  • Notice d4 (0)
  • Persuasion d4-1 (0)
  • Psionics d12 (4+1 dt, based on vigor)
  • Shooting d4-2 (0)
  • Stealth d4 (0)
  • Survival d6 (2)

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Resources
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83386#p83386
User avatar
Drader
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Drader »

Wip heal @Harlock
Dice rolls
Faith heal d10+1: [8]+1 = 9
Wild d6!!+1: [3]+1 = 4
User avatar
Caro
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Caro »

Psionics (+1 due Focus)
  • Psionics: d10!!+1!!: [9]+1 = 10
    Wild: 1d6!!+1!!: [2]+1 = 3
    Result: 10 - Success with Raise. +2d to Strength (-> d10)
Wild Attack with Frenzy (+1 due Focus, +2 due Wild Attack)
  • Fighting: 1d10!!+3!!: [2]+3 = 5
    Fighting: 1d10!!+3!!: [3]+3 = 6
    Wild: 1d6!!+3!!: [4]+3 = 7
    Result: 7, 6 - Success, Success.
    • Damage: 1d6!!+1d10!!+2: [5]+[1]+2 = 8
      • Bennie Reroll
        • 1d6!!+1d10!!+2: [5]+[6]+2 = 13 - 1 Wound
      Damage: 1d6!!+1d10!!+2: [2]+[1]+2 = 5
      • Bennie Reroll
        • 1d6!!+1d10!!+2: [5]+[2]+2 = 9 - Shaken


"Lor, I have these two. Hide back in the rocks behind me. Don't get yourself killed on me."

With that, Caro launches himself at the two spearmen ahead of Lor, catching one upside the head then driving his warclub into the gut of the other.
Caro
Wounds: 2 / 3
Fatigue: 1 / 2
ISP: 9 / 15
Bennies: 2 / 3
Base
  • -1 Bennie to Reroll Fighting in Quick Combat
    -2 Bennies to roll Soaks
User avatar
Vixa
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:58 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Vixa »


+1 From Trademark Weapon
Fighting 2d12!!: [11, 3] = 14
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5


Raise 2d8!!+1d6!!: [5, 4]+[3] = 12
Regular 2d8!!: [3, 15!!] = 18


Vixa sneers at the spearman and his pathetic attempts to strike her. Not for the first time Vixa wishes she had the skill with words to bait the fool into making a mistake but then mentally shrugs knowing it would be a wasted effort on this simpleton anyway.

Her blades snakes back and forth relying more on speed and agility rather than brute strength. Working her way inside the spearman's guard Vixa's blade slices skin almost delicately before striking the final blow, blood spurting across the sand.

That enemy dispatched Vixa moves at her best pace towards the archers knowing she is probably the most difficult target in the group, ready to deflect any incoming fire with her blade.

Yelling to her companions, "leave the archers to me!" Moves to Y8
Note
Reminder that Vixa has the Missile Deflection edge so against ranged attackers their base TN is her parry.
"Don't Panic"

Vixa
Player: Jim
Active Alts: Sparkmort Zipwidget, John Reid
User avatar
Berkyn of Celik
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Berkyn of Celik »

Berkyn finds himself in a position he spent most of his time trying to avoid, in a straight up fight against a superior opponent. Ducking under the war-crodlu's snaping maw, he
1d8!!: [3] = 3 1d6!!: [3] = 3 even with close fighting and gang up, that's going to miss
futilely at the beast's tough hide.

Cursing, the bard continued to dodge and weave doing his best to avoid the claws and teeth of the mul's mount.
OOC Comments
Parry +1 (7) vs the crodlu

Bennys: 0/3
Pace: 6 Parry 6 Toughness 5
Wounds: 1/3
Fatigue: 1/2
User avatar
Lor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Lor »


1 wound and shaken from round 1
Using last bennie to soak 1 wound from round 2
+2 unarmoured hero, -1 wound
(9) Soaked all incoming round 2 wounds and is now unshaken
Vigor 1d6!+1: [4]+1 = 5
Wild Die 1d6!+1: [6!, 2]+1 = 9

Persuasion check on Mul's minions
+1 attractive, -1 wounds, possible +2 bonus if this is considered social conflict
Result (11) (or 13 if social battle bonus applies)
Persuasion 1d12!: [11] = 11
Wild Die 1d6!: [5] = 5
Charismatic Free Re-roll
Persuasion 1d12!: [3] = 3
Wild Die 1d6!: [5] = 5

OOC: 2 pace to stand, moving 1 pace from L10 to L11, Attempting to Persuade (11 - or 13) Mul's minions to change sides after their current losses.

After getting unceremoniously stabbed twice after underestimating the range at which those spearmen could move around the rocks, Lor barely managed to evade the second blow by rolling around on the sand. Still she looked somewhat worse for wear as she pulled herself to her feet while holding on to Caro, who had been doing quite the admirable job of fending them off thus far.

The merchant however was bleeding from her side as it seemed her luck had run out but moments earlier. She knew she should listen to Caro at that moment and hide in between the rocks while the spearman ahead of her was faltering from the onslaught of attacks from the dwarf, but what she had in mind needed her standing and visible, so aside from rising to her feet but a step away from Caro, she gritted her teeth and forced herself to stand up straight and address the combatants with a powerful voice, designed to draw all attention to herself.

“Why have I been stabbed? What sort of idiot gets caught up in a fight when there are poor people who are willing to do the fighting for you?” Lor thought angrily to herself just before speaking out, already hearing the cursing from her bodyguard next to her as she appeared to be doing the exact opposite of what he said to do.

“All ears on me!” She shouted abruptly. “Three of you are now dead, as well as one of your crodu. Know that if I could summon storms at a whim, then I would have certainly done so by now. Your… ”Leader“ …” She paused a moment to thrust a bloody accusing finger his way. “Has no intention of sharing the water with you! When your numbers are dwindled from the battle, even if you should emerge victorious, then he will beat down your battered and wounded forms and take all of it for himself!” Came her impassioned appellation to reason.

“My offer from before still stands, but with one extra caveat.” Lor allowed the air to still for but a moment before she thrust out the finger once more. “Kill the blathering idiot, and not only will you receive a full share of the water but we will guide you to the outpost as offered earlier. I am willing to forgive desperate men, so long as they do not cross the line to true stupidity.” She finished, before finally nodding a glance towards Vixa who was currently charging towards the two archers at full speed after viciously running through the spearman next to her.

“Or you can take your chances against the rabid halfling… Your choice.”
User avatar
Vixa
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:58 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Vixa »

Vixa bares her teeth at the crossbowmen has she stalks towards them with a toothy grin. "Oh do take your chances with the Halfling, that would surely be the best option. It will be so much more fun that way!" As the distance closes Vixa whips her sword back and forth a few times as she prepares to close the distance with her prey.
"Don't Panic"

Vixa
Player: Jim
Active Alts: Sparkmort Zipwidget, John Reid
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Tribe of One »

Who's ready to die?
Spearman
Spirit 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9
Scouts
Spirit 1d8!!: [3] = 3
Outrider
Spirit 1d8!!: [2] = 2
Lor's words — combined with the sight of their comrades' blood and entrails staining the sand — break the will of the would-be brigands, though none take up the merchant's offer to attempt to kill their former leader. The scouts on the dune to the east slither backward with their flatbows, sliding down the sandy incline until they can get to their feet and run as if the Dragon was on their heels. The spearman facing Caro backs away more carefully, keeping his spear up until he's among the rocks and out of reach of the dwarf's dripping club. The surviving outrider stares in fear at the mounted mul, then at Harlock, before making his choice and fleeing north.

Seeing his men turn tail, the mul's fury breaks for a moment as he stares at his own doom approaching. But the blank look is gone in a flash, replaced by a cold, inhuman snarl.

"Come then, with your blades and witchery! Which of you will I drag into the Gray with me?"

Spurring his mount forward, he charges forward in a final, suicidal rage.

An-Athasian-battle-depicted-by-Brom-847x1024.jpg


The mul is going to die. The question is, how much damage does he inflict before he does?

We'll run this as a Quick Combat, with a couple of tweaks.

For Harlock, Berkyn and Drader, who are in the mul's reach, it's especially dangerous. Each must make a combat roll (Fighting, Shooting, arcane skill, etc.), with the following potential consequences:

Raise: Emerge with a level of Fatigue from Bumps & Bruises
Success: Suffer 1 Wound, soak as normal
Failure: Suffer 1d3 Wounds
Crit Fail: Suffer 1d3+1 Wounds

For the others, you have two options:

Stay out of danger and Support one of the combatants at -4. A success grants a +1 and a Raise a +2 as normal.

Move up to assist and make a Support roll with no penalty, granting the normal benefit to an ally. Suffer the normal consequences for a Dangerous Encounter (No damage on a Raise; Bumps & Bruises on a Success; 1 Wound on a Failure; 1d4 Wounds on a Crit Fail).

So, how does this murderous bastard go down?
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Berkyn of Celik
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Berkyn of Celik »

Berkyn backpedals as the war-cordru rears up and prepares to charge appearing completely defenseless before the mul's onslaught. Just as the mul begins to charge, he plants his back foot and springs into a forward roll
1d8!!: [4] = 4 1d6!!: [3] = 3 Last Benny 1d8!!: [5] = 5 1d6!!: [1] = 1 +1 for close fighting against the mul = 5 Success
at the thigh of the mounted half-dwarf. Unfortunately, his momentum took him too close to the war-cordru causing the bard to bounce off the reptilian mount and close to its snapping jaws, flinging him several yards onto the dust packed earth.

Soak 1d6!!: [1] = 1 1d6!!: [4] = 4 +2 Unarmored = 6 Success
with the impact, he looked down and managed a smile as blood covering his tunic wasn't his.

With any luck there was still a bit of poison still on the blade!

OOC Comments
1 wound successfully soaked

Bennys: 0/3
Pace: 6 Parry 6 Toughness 5
Wounds: 1/3
Fatigue: 1/2
User avatar
Drader
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Drader »

Wip
Dice rolls
Fighting d8!!: [1] = 1
Wild d6!!: [2] = 2
Benny d8!!: [2] = 2
Benny wild d6!!: [11!!] = 11
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Harlock »

Harlock fight hard, more hard fight...

Fighting 1d12! Fighting 1d12 Wild 1d6!: [4]+[12]+[5] = 21


Harlock sees the Mul rear and charge. Unwilling to give ground, while knowing the Mul had already been able to injure him Harlock thinks there is no point to defending. Rushing in he yells in the face of the Mul his deep bellow fear inducing in most seems to have no effect on the Mul, but his axe swinging up from bellow was able to land solidly on the Mul, the rebound glancing off the top of the Mul’s parry right into its head...

(May need edited)
Harlock
Attributes: Agility d4-1, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d6-1, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (0) Size: 3 Reach: 1 (2 w/halberd)
Skills:
  • Athletics d12 (4)
  • Common Knowledge d4 (0)
  • Fighting d10 (5, +1dt)
  • Notice d4 (0)
  • Persuasion d4-1 (0)
  • Psionics d12 (4+1 dt, based on vigor)
  • Shooting d4-2 (0)
  • Stealth d4 (0)
  • Survival d6 (2)

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Resources
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83386#p83386
User avatar
Lor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Lor »


-4 ranged support, -1 wound
Success (5) +1 Support to Berkyn's roll
Intimidate 1d8!-5: [8!, 2]-5 = 5
Wild Die 1d6!-5: [5]-5 = 0


Still clutching her side, Lor slumped slowly to the ground with her back against the rock at a safe distance once she saw the spearman slowly back away and eventually flee. Hearing the remaining words of bravado from the Mul, Lor decided that he was likely to be far less reasonable than his companions had been when she had put herself into harms way to convince them to give up the fight. Given her current state, this was not an act she was inclined to repeat. Still, she couldn't help but yell out from behind the safety of the rock a jab at the desperate figure who knew he was fighting to his death.

"Pray that the giant or the water priest finish you off before our bard gets to you!" She called out loudly in reference to Berkyn. "Should his poison get you first, then we'll be more than happy to leave you alive and helpless for the scavengers to pick clean!" Certainly Lor herself wasn't very intimidating, but her allies certainly were, and there was a certain effectiveness of pointing that out at the right time.
User avatar
Caro
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Caro »

Assisting Drader while staying out of danger to protect Lor
  • Fighting d10+1 -> d10-3 (-4 due to Staying Out of Danger)
    • Fighting: 1d10!!-3!!: [5]-3 = 2
      Wild: 1d6!!-3!!: [3]-3 = 0
      Result: 2 - Fail.


Staying back to ensure Lor was safe before going to help Drader.

"Now Lor, STAY BACK IN THESE ROCKS! I cannot go to help Drader and the rest without knowing you are safe. Just stay here until we take care of these guys... however we are doing that."
Caro
Wounds: 2 / 3
Fatigue: 1 / 2
ISP: 9 / 15
Bennies: 2 / 3
Base
  • -1 Bennie to Reroll Fighting in Quick Combat
    -2 Bennies to roll Soaks
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Tribe of One »

Lor wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:54 am"Pray that the giant or the water priest finish you off before our bard gets to you!" She called out loudly in reference to Berkyn. "Should his poison get you first, then we'll be more than happy to leave you alive and helpless for the scavengers to pick clean!"
Hearing Lor's taunting, the mul appears to notice Berkyn — and the jagged slash the bard's knife cut into his thigh — for the first time. Eyes wide with growing terror, he relies on instinct, guiding his crodlu mount with his legs as it flings the bard aside, carrying him close to the wounded Harlock. Raising his obsidian mace high, he prepares to bring it down on the half-giant ... until Drader's whip wraps around his wrist like the spiked tendril of a spider cactus, pulling his arm back behind his head.

With his mount's forward momentum, the mul is ripped from the saddle, but never has a chance to touch the ground (in one piece, anyway). Harlock heaves himself to his full height, his axe trailing an arc of sand as it slices upward. The deadly blow glances off the mul's shield but Harlock turns the blade, cleaving cleanly into the mul's neck and sending his head flying into the nearby rocks as his body drops in a twitching jumble to the sand.

Driven mad by its rider's death and the scent of blood, the frenzied war-crodlu fights on, but Caro and Vixa soon take it down, its rapidly drying blood staining the sand with the rest.

You watch the four survivors flee into the surrounding desert — none so much as turn back to look while you watch. With the sun high in the sky, the heat makes pursuit entirely unappealing. If any live until nightfall, it will be a miracle.

Dragging the corpses of your defeated foes into the shelter of the rocks, you find as much shade as you can before searching the corpses for valuables and butchering the crodlu. Most of the dead appeared to be just as desperate as they claimed — none carried any water, and the scraps of food in their pouches look more likely to sicken you than provide real nourishment. Only the mul carried a secret stash: a long bladder, partly-filled with water hidden in his bedroll (2 gallons of water, added to group stash). The headless leader also carried a map of the caravan, cruder than the one Lor recovered from Andris's scabbard, but more functional — simple icons added to the map appear to indicate areas where water or food might be found, and several knotted lengths of colored string are bundled with the map, for measuring distances (the map and strings provide a +2 to Survival checks along the route to the House Wavir outpost.). Using the mul's map and comparing it to Andris's, Lor confirms the route to the outpost is about five days distant, assuming the group keeps a reasonable pace through the badlands.

Beyond that, you recover some intact weapons and armor, should anyone need them: a pair of bone spears and a bone short sword, a bone-tipped lance and the mul's spiked obsidian mace (Str+d8, AP 1, +2 damage vs. lightly-armored foes), along with a pair of medium hide shields, a suit of leather armor (+2 Armor to torso, arms and legs) and a mekillot hide breastplate (+4 Armor for torso).

The only other items of note are a pair of curious trinkets two of the raiders carried: iridescent feathers, blue-green at the edges, black at the quill, wrapped with tattered crimson string. When held by the string, the feathers seem to float on an invisible wind, hanging at eye level and pointing to the northwest, more or less along the route you've already charted. Arcane examination shows each bears only a minor enchantment, very old and of unsure origin.

Butchering the crodlu gives you more meat than you can use — with no salt to preserve it, you roast the choicest pieces for dinner and cut some of the rest into thin strips to dry in the air. Having had a chance to rest through the hottest part of the day, you discuss your next moves and prepare to venture into the rocky badlands to the north as the shadows lengthen.

RjuYqBs.jpg



Food and Water
I set up a post to track group food and water here. With the current group of seven (as Graddock seems to have ghosted) you need 9 gallons of water a day, reduced to 4.5 gallons since you're traveling at dawn and dusk, as well as 19 lbs. of food. I've subtracted what you used today.

Heat
Because of the heat (even avoiding the noon-day sun) each character needs to check Vigor, with no penalty since you're traveling during cooler parts of the day. On a failure you suffer a level of Fatigue from the heat, which lasts until the evening rest unless dealt with using magic or other extraordinary means.

Travel
For travel, we'll use a simplified/tweaked version of the journey rules from the Tomorrow Legion Field Manual. I don't want to get too bogged down doing a post for every day of travel, so I'm going to split it up into legs of the journey. For this post, success will get you through the dunes to the edge of the badlands, roughly a day and a half's travel from here, assuming no detours or other delays.

Below are the actions you can take. A character can attempt more than one action, taking a MAP as usual. If more than one character attempts the same action (other than Support) I'll treat the first roll as the primary roll and any that follow as Support. If using an Arcane Skill roll for anything, pay the PP required for an appropriate power (ie. if using Faith to Support another character's action, pay the cost for boost trait).

Navigator (required)
Setting and maintaining a course.
Skill: Survival, at -1 due to the terrain. Since you're traveling in twilight, the navigator suffers an additional -2 penalty from Dim light.
Success: The party is headed in the right direction and makes good progress.
Raise: Lookout, Scout and Gatherer rolls gain a +1 bonus.
Failure: The party wastes time traveling in circles or doubling back, making no meaningful progress.
Critical Failure: The group heads in the wrong direction and becomes lost. Try again the next day, at -2 penalty to reorient.

Lookout (required)
Keeping an eye out for threats.
Skill: Notice, at -1 due to the terrain. Since you're traveling in twilight, the lookout suffers an additional -2 penalty from Dim light.
Success: You keep a good watch, with encounters determined as normal.
Raise: The party can't be ambushed by a random encounter.
Failure: Each member of the party must check Agility or suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises.
Critical Failure: Each member of the party must check Agility at -2 or suffer a Wound.

Scout (optional)
Reconnoitering, avoiding identified threats.
Skill: Stealth, at -1 since the dunes offer little cover.
Success: The party is forewarned of dangers ahead. Encounters determined as normal.
Raise: Two cards are drawn for each encounter, with the party facing the more beneficial/least dangerous of the two.
Failure: Two cards are drawn for each encounter, with the party facing the more dangerous of the two.
Critical Failure: <<Insert evil GM laugh>>.

Gatherer (optional)
Hunting for food and water.
Skill: Survival, at -1 due to the terrain. Since you're traveling in twilight, the gatherer suffers an additional -2 penalty from Dim light.
Success: You find a gallon of water and 2 lbs. of roots, grubs or other food, as well as shade for one person.
Raise: You find 2.5 gallons of water, 5 lbs. of food and shade for a group. (Water can be doubled as usual w/ elemental manipulation (water).
Failure: You're stuck with whatever you're carrying.
Critical Failure: You mistakenly feed your friends something poisonous. The food and water gathered is wasted and each member of the party must check Vigor at -2 or suffer Wound.

Support
Lend a hand.
Skill: Any
Success: Grant +1 to an ally's roll.
Raise: The bonus increases to +2.
Failure: Better stick to walking.
Critical Failure: You manage to just get in the way, inflicting a -2 penalty on the ally's roll.
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Berkyn of Celik
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Berkyn of Celik »

Once it is clear that the fleeing enemies are not coming back, Berkyn sets to treating the wounds of the group. Going to Lor first, he takes some leather cord from the pouches of the enemies and breaks off an obsidian shard from the spiked mace.

"This is going to hurt."

He then proceeds to
1d6!!: [3] = 3 1d6!!: [3] = 3 +2 Healer -1 no kit = 4
the gash the spear made back together. He then proceeds
1d6!!: [1] = 1 1d6!!: [3] = 3 +2 Healer -1 no kit = 4
Skanni as best he can with strips of dried crodu skin.

"There. Best I can do with what we have."

The bard then removes the bile duct from one of the crodu and
1d6!!: [5] = 5 1d6!!: [1] = 1 =6
it's contents into one of the empty waterskins along with a little water. Letting it sit in the dwindling heat as they prepare the evening meal, he gives it a shake and hands it to Harlock.

"It will taste like that dead mul smells, but it will make you feel better."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the group sets out in the direction of the outpost once again, Berkyn
Vigor 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7 1d6!!: [3] = 3
himself so not to succumb to the relentless Athasian heat. Along the way, he
Healing 1d6!!: [3] = 3 1d6!!: [4] = 4 +2 =6
to the gathering of supplies along the way, pointing out what is poisonous and what is not the best he can.

OOC Comments
Successfully treated Lor and Skanni's wounds as well as Harlock's fatigue. +1 Support to gathering

Bennys: 0/3
Pace: 6 Parry 6 Toughness 5
Wounds: 1/3
Fatigue: 1/2
User avatar
Lor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Lor »


Vigor check vs heat
Success (5)
Vigor 1d6!: [2] = 2
Wild Die 1d6!: [5] = 5

Supporting Navigation
-1 scene, -2 dim light, -2 one eye hindrance
Success (5) +1 to Navigator's roll
Survival 1d4!-5: [4!, 1]-5 = 0
Wild Die 1d6!-5: [6!, 4]-5 = 5


Lor winces and takes in a sharp breath as Berkyn got to work on her, lifting up her tunic along the side where she had been stabbed by the spear. The leather cord woven through the bloody gash was unsightly and extremely painful for certain, but would stop her from passing out from blood loss thanks to the bards efforts.

“Thank you… I cannot for the life of me know how I ended up in a situation where I was fighting someone. It was a harrowing experience to be sure!” The merchant spoke aghast to the bard as he worked on her skin. “I tried to explain to them that Caro was fighting on my behalf but they simply refused to listen. But I suppose they were not hired for their ability to think, else they would not have ended up in a situation where they were battling the rest of you. Ah! What masterful work you’ve done, this cannot be the first time you’ve done this before. The scar will be barely noticeable once it comes out I think.” Lor praised him as she stood to her feet, using the dwarf that stood next to her for support.

“I would love to rest a little more, but we should make as much distance as possible before daylight hits in full. Yes, the sooner we get to our destination, the sooner I can be inside of a proper building and once again leave the violence to the poors. But this, this is simply lovely, don’t you think?” The rambling woman said as she picked up the colourful plumed feathers from the ground, examining them closely as they seemed to flit and drift in the air on their own accord.

“To think that they would have something so tasteful on them. Perhaps they weren’t such bad persons after all.” Came a pleasant sentence as she assessed the item, gently tucking it into a headband she fashioned for Caro, as the brightly lit objects dangled just above his bald top, pressing her finger tips together with clear excitement as she saw how it enhanced the appearance of her stalwart bodyguard. “Oh yes, this is quite wonderful. Shall we be off then once the rest are ready to go? I’ll help guide us there of course.”

What Caro would come to realize later (or perhaps not realize) is that during their journey, Lor would constantly provide surprisingly helpful directional advice as she advanced behind him. But what was less obvious as that the merchant princess would be watching the floating feathers that dangled over Caro’s head, and would be simply telling the dwarf the way they were pointing. It was odd how such things worked out.
User avatar
Drader
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Drader »

Spent last benny but got 2 gallons of water and 2 pounds of food.
Dice rolls
Vigor d6!!: [1] = 1
Wild vigor d6!!: [8!!] = 8
Gather +1 support -1 scene +1 focus d8!!+1: [2]+1 = 3
wild gather d6!!+1: [2]+1 = 3
Last beeny gather d8!!+1: [3]+1 = 4
Benny wild d6!!+1: [2]+1 = 3
User avatar
Caro
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Caro »

Vigor: 1d8!!: [2] = 2
Wild: 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Result: 5 - Success. No Effect

Survival (+1 due Map, +2 due Woodsman, -1 due Terrain, No Penalty for Darkness, +1 due Lor's Assistance -> d8+3)
  • Survival: 1d8!!+3!!: [2]+3 = 5
    Wild: 1d6!!+3!!: [2]+3 = 5
    Result: 5 - Success. The party is headed in the right direction and makes good progress.


Unlike normally, Lor's suggestions seemed to be of use to Caro as he leads the band of misfits through the desolate wastes.

Could Lor be absorbing any of the knowledge I have been trying to pound into him? As unlikely as it sounds, it may have worked, as even a wind can wear down stone, given enough force and time.
Caro
Wounds: 2 / 3
Fatigue: 1 / 2
ISP: 9 / 15
Bennies: 2 / 3
Base
  • -1 Bennie to Reroll Fighting in Quick Combat
    -2 Bennies to roll Soaks
User avatar
Harlock
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Harlock »

Lookout, Failure
Look out
Lookout 1d4!! or Wild 1d6!!: [3]+[3] = 6

Without much guidance Harlock chooses to keep his eyes open for trouble. But the constant pace and heat kept distracting him. Every step without noticing trouble, was another step he looked forward to the next fight. As the others talked with each other and even sometimes with him. Harlocks mind drifted inward, focused on his gift.
Harlock
Attributes: Agility d4-1, Smarts d6-1, Spirit d6-1, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Parry: 7 Toughness: 11 (0) Size: 3 Reach: 1 (2 w/halberd)
Skills:
  • Athletics d12 (4)
  • Common Knowledge d4 (0)
  • Fighting d10 (5, +1dt)
  • Notice d4 (0)
  • Persuasion d4-1 (0)
  • Psionics d12 (4+1 dt, based on vigor)
  • Shooting d4-2 (0)
  • Stealth d4 (0)
  • Survival d6 (2)

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?t=7410

Resources
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=83386#p83386
User avatar
Lor
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Lor »


Agility check for Lookout Failure
Failure (3)
Bumps and Bruises get!
Agility 1d4!: [3] = 3
Wild Die 1d6!: [3] = 3


Though the general direction of the journey went well, it seemed as though what a giant considered to be a safe and easy route that avoided obstacles was not quite what a small human who was unused to physical exertion would do. Her kank however seemed to be much better about this sort of thing, as it stopped abruptly just shy of falling into a small crevice between two pieces of rocky terrain that their lookout easily stepped over with his massive feet.

Ever distracted as she was with filing her nails with a pumice stone however, Lor quickly slid forward with surprise and out of the saddle as she tumbled forward into the hole, smacking against the walls several times in the process.

With a groan she got back to her feet and was easily able to make it back out, though was definitely a bit worse for wear as she groaned to her bodyguard. “What foul manner of trap is this? Why has no one paved a road over this disastrously dangerous section of terrain? Did they not know that we were scheduled to come in this direction in the coming days? I will certainly be having a word with the outpost master about this.” Lor said with a huff as she straightened out her clothes, though wincing in pain as welts and bruises started to form over her pale skin.
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Tribe of One »

Everyone may refresh their Bennies and take an advance.

Also, since Harlock failed the Lookout roll, each PC needs to make an Agility check or suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps & Bruises.


HandLuggageOnly-7-14.jpg
Having bound your wounds and looted the belongings of your defeated foes, you continue your journey north into the badlands. The terrain is treacherous, and while Caro does a good job of keeping you headed in the right direction, Harlock proves a poor lookout, more than once failing to spot unstable ground or crumbling rock walls that send one of you on a bruising tumble.

Drader manages to mind a few gallons of water and some small edible tubers, but you're forced to dig into your reserves to slake your thirst and fill your bellies. Even so, with a little scavenging and careful rationing you should have enough to reach your destination.

Travel is a compromise as you try to avoid the steepest and most dangerous climbs, without too many detours among the crooked canyons and meandering ridges. Progress is slow, however, especially in the dim light of dusk and dawn.

Here and there along your route you spot the remains of ancient structures, tumbled ruins and walls eroded by centuries of wind and sand. There's little sign of civilization this deep into the wastes, but its not entirely uninhabited. Here and there you see crude pictograms daubed on the rocks with paint
Likely left by a tarek tribe, marking the limits of their territory or denoting places sacred to the earth spirits they worship. The hulking, humanoids tend to be aggressive, but can be reasoned with, especially if one respects their customs.
.

More frequently, you stumble across grisly totems mounted with skulls and the bones of humanoids and animals alike
Gith sign. The stooped, reptilian raiders have a penchant for the macabre.
. On a few you find tied enchanted feathers like the pair Lor recovered after the last battle, floating weightless in the air, always pointing in the same direction, north-northwest.

It's dusk of your second day in the badlands when you realize you're being followed. Making the most of the fading sun, Caro had led you up one of the more gradual slopes to move along a high ridge, granting you a view of the jagged rocks all around. It was then that you saw the setting sun flashing off obsidian spear-tips on a parallel ridge, with more on the slope below. The dim light made it difficult to count heads, but those you could see outnumber you at least two-to-one. Crouching low, the figures move awkwardly, with a loping gait punctuated by superhuman leaps across crevices and obstacles — they're almost certainly gith, scaled humanoid raiders renowned for their cruelty and savagery.

As night falls, your pursuers discard any pretense of stealth as they close in, hooting and calling out in the darkness. The geography turns against you, as well, as the ridge you've been following ends in a steep escarpment. Your choices are limited: Attempt to descend in the dark, to either flee or find a more defensible position in the canyons below, or make a stand here on the ridge, with little cover and uncertainty about whether the gith will attack under cover of darkness or wait until dawn, when the rising sun could present its own challenges.


It's up to you what you want to do next. I'm open to alternatives. Your choices will determine the circumstances for what comes next. Don't forget to take your advances!
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Caro
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Re: Into the Western Wastes

Post by Caro »

Vigor due Lookout
  • Vigor: 1d8!!: [3] = 3
    Wild: 1d6!!: [1] = 1
    Result: 3 - Failure. 1 Bumps and Bruises

Going after Lor after her spill, Caro also slips and falls down the hole and bounces off a few of the rocks around.

Lor is going to be the end of me one day...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roll 1 - Common Knowledge at -2 (-3 due Bumps and Bruises)
  • Common Knowledge: 1d4!!-3!!: [6!!]-3 = 3
    Wild: 1d6!!-3!!: [4]-3 = 1
    Result: 3 - Failure unless Healed before Roll
Roll 2 - Common Knowledge (-1 due Bumps and Bruises)
  • Common Knowledge: 1d6!!-1!!: [4]-1 = 3
    Wild: 1d4!!-1!!: [3]-1 = 2
    Result: 3 - Failure unless Healed before Roll
Caro
Wounds: 2 / 3
Fatigue: 1 / 2
ISP: 9 / 15
Bennies: 2 / 3
Base
  • -1 Bennie to Reroll Fighting in Quick Combat
    -2 Bennies to roll Soaks
Post Reply

Return to “Adventures under a Dark Sun”