02 - Returning from Patrol

Post Reply
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4409
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Ndreare »

As the heroes return from their patrol, having seen a range of supernatural and alien beings. They prepare to give their report, however approaching the Captain’s tent they see a small contingent of Coalition troops.
Obviously they are very far from their normal lands. But the Captain seems to be taking their presence seriously and speaking with the Coalition officer with a serious look on his face.
As you approach you find that both the CS guards and the TL guards are keeping the conversation one on one.
The CS psi-stalkers and dog boys outside glare at you as you approach. The look on their face suggests they are in some sort of discomfort, likely from the ley line proximity. The energy in the atmosphere is a powder keg.


INSTRUCTIONS:
Time for some networking and social combat.
Narrate how you help argue for letting the people decide and having people from both sides or only the TL interact with the Fade Town citizens.

Social Combat Persuasion: No penalty, determine a leader before rolling.
Everyone else rolls to support, with no limit for the support.
Intimidation/Combat Support: If you try to support with intimidation or a combat skill you suffer a -4 and any failure will remove two tokens, critical failure will end the task, resulting in immediate combat and casualties on both sides and even worse among the townsfolk.


Notice roll -2
With a Notice -2 roll you can tell they are discussing the fate of this city. The CS suggesting strongly that the TL should leave and the Captain Harris suggesting that the people can choose who they are working with.

About half a mile away on the top of the hill two skull walkers can be barely seen hidden.


The other posts are missing so here is a record of the forces you know of in the area.
Gromeck soldiers and shamans
Gargoyles (only 7 were seen)
Coalition (a mechanized company, with a platoon of dogboys, including psi-stalker leaders)
Fade Town Citizens
TL Company of Infantry and Scientist
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
User avatar
Dara
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:19 am

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Dara »

Dara is willing to roll the lead persuasion, but I’ll wait till Monday to do it if anyone else wants to take the lead, just pipe up. There are several human looking folks, besides me.

I rolled Notice over on discord and got a 10, raise so I know about everything.
Last edited by Dara on Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dara
Player: Shiro
User avatar
Lumo
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:19 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Lumo »

Notice check 17

Having long since reinserted the severed tongue she held in her hand back into her mouth. The still wiggling appendage seemed to reassert itself into place as if nothing untoward had occurred. It seemed that everyone had wisely decided that the best course of action was to pretend that they had not seen such a thing occur, as they headed back to town, only to spot and be seen by the two forces that were closely discussing the situation regarding the Rift.

As if on instinct, Lumo would duck down nervously behind Dara once more once the group was spotted by the coalition forces. And as with before, it did absolutely nothing to help due to their size differences. Which, once again seemed to be oblivious to the giantess.

Whispering harshly, Lumo would try to get the others attention. “There are so many interested in this place. The Gromeck we saw earlier, the gargoyles, and now these other soldiers. Also, I don’t want to alarm anyone but… She lowered her voice even more as she took a few breaths before letting the others in on the big revelation. ”… But, I think based on what I read in the legions databanks, that those soldiers with the skull adorned uniforms may in fact be from an organization called… The Coalition States. I will tell you more about them later, but be aware that they could be very dangerous!“ This followed with a firm nod and what started with a slight smile of satisfaction at having provided useful knowledge to the team, slowly diminishing as she was met with nothing but deadpan stares all around her.

“Oh… I guess you’ve heard of them before. That is good…” Lumo bit the bottom of her lip before asking then. “But I do not know of the giant skulls on spider legs off in the distance over there. The Coalition States does like to put skulls on everything, so I think those vehicles may be theirs as well. Are they dangerous do you think?” She would then ask curiously from her ultra stealthy perch.
Lumo

Bennies: 3/3
Wounds: 0/3
Fatigue: 0/2
Conviction: 3
Parry: 7 Toughness: 17(6)
PPE: 15/15
Staff PPE: 10/10
ISP: 29/30
User avatar
Trent Angel
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:28 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Trent Angel »

Notice
Notice 3 in Discord (5 on wild -2)
Trent slides down off his ostrasaurus mount, and gives her a comforting pat as he whispers to her "Hold here, Flyta. I'll get you untacked in a minute."

He takes a quick drink from a flask before turning around to face the Coalition officer and Tomorrow Legion captain who are conversing. Trent walks slowly, sure to approach where both parties can see him coming. He holds his hands up and apart in a mix between a wave and a gesture indicating, "I mean no harm." As he slowly walks towards the pair, he nods courteously to the Coalition guards.

"Captains, mind if I join your chat?" he asks, though he does not stop to wait for a reply. Looking calmly at the Coalition officer he asks "What brings you all this far west?" He hesitates for just a moment, genuinely hoping for a response. Then, almost as if embarrassed, he asks "You all need anything to make yourselves comfortable? How long are you staying" in an attempt to steer the conversation.

Persuade
Persuade 7 in Discord - wild die
Trent uses a benny to get this roll, which is +2 due to Elan.
He's hoping to get the Coalition officer to talk to him, and is trying to subtly make him feel like our guest by checking on his team
OOC Comments
Boo!

Bennies: 3/4 Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue: 0/3 Conviction: 2
User avatar
Dara
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:19 am

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Dara »

Dara makes a show of surveying the surrounding terrain Battle check "visually" and then looks over at the group of dog boys and says, audibly, "These people from the Coalition look strong in tooth and claw, but none of us has the high ground today. There are many groups from different... factions here, and they are all dispersed, tired, and tense. None should crave battle this day." It is fair to say that she may not have noticed the walkes if they are more than 200" away, as radar senses do have their limits, but she smells the fear sweat on the dog boys and stalkers

Anyway, this assesment of the tactical situation should add +1 to Trent's roll.

Then she turns to Nyx and quietly says, "I thought you said they were human supremasists."
Dara
Player: Shiro
User avatar
Miles RAD Radoslav
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Miles RAD Radoslav »

Rad saunters up, slinging his rifle and snapping a twig off a nearby shrub. Tucking it in a corner of his mouth, he drawls, "Looks like this could turn into a real tussle if all you folks aren't careful. I don't think anyone wants that, certainly not the good folks of this town. How about we lay down arms and talk a spell?"
Rad
Character Name: Miles "RAD" Radoslav
Parry:8/7, Toughness: 13/5
ISP:
10 /10
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Bennies: 3
User avatar
Tormento
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:08 am

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Tormento »

Here we were, the patrol was returning to base, there was plenty to report.
As we approached the base we could make out a small contingent of Coalition troops.
Immediately my alarm systems went off, the Coalition was not exactly an ally of ours, and seeing the distribution of troops and the serious face of our commanding officer the situation seemed about to explode.
An armed confrontation would be a catastrophe for the civilians, but above all we should be able to allow the population to choose with whom to ally the Coalition or us.
But I was the least suited to participate in a negotiation, in my time as a human I was not good enough with words and my new state had not improved this aspect.
So the best thing to do would be to stay alert and pray that the skirmish did not start

Perception:6
discord link:https://discord.com/channels/3114471644 ... 4312056872
User avatar
Dorn Giantslayer
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:02 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Dorn Giantslayer »


-3 modifier including Drug Induced Euphoria.
https://discord.com/channels/3114471644 ... 7140993085


Dorn beams a beaded smile at the Coalition troops while at the same time patting his assault rifle which he keeps handy in the crook of his arm as if to say I'm in a good mood so don't piss me off and make me kill you all.

"So where being the bunch of Deceased Boys be coming from? Perhaps they are being lost and need directions out of town, yes? Bu chòir dhut meanbh-bhiastagan tinn a dhol a-mach às a’ bhaile mus cuir thu irioslachd orm agus tha mi a’ co-dhùnadh do ghàirdeanan is do chasan a thoirt dheth."

With that Dorn roars with laughter. "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Is good joke, no?"
Ancient wisdom from the Golden Age: Don't Panic.

Dorn GiantSlayer
Player: Jim
Active Alts: Jim Cannon, Jame Graeme, Steele


Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d12+2, Vigor d12
Pace: 7; Parry: 7(6); Toughness: 21(7) MDC; Size: Normal (2) Burn: 7; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Agility: Athletics d10, Fighting d10, Shooting d10, Stealth d4
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Language (American) d6, Language (Dwarven) d8, Notice d6, Repair d4, Science d4, Taunt d6
Spirit: Intimidation d6, Persuasion d4

User avatar
Danny Lee
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:13 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Danny Lee »

Notice 2 Failure
Danny isn’t sure what’s being discussed between his people and the Coalition troops but he didn’t need to be aware of the exact situation to know a lot is at stake. Lot of people on the team that they wouldn’t look kindly on. That’s the problem with the Coaltion. They couldn’t tell the difference between strange looking people who happened to come out of a rift and actual monsters. Their attitude toward magic users leaves a lot to be desired too. Still, there have been a couple of occasions when Danny actually found himself fighting on the same side as some Deadboys, specifically occasions when the common foe were creatures of darkness that were a threat to all that is good and natural. Maybe he could draw upon those experiences to help foster a live and let live attitude between his team and them.

”Hey, you guys just passing through?” he asks as he walks up. ”Cause there are a few things you’ve got to look out for if you’re traveling around these parts.”

He goes on to talk about a few of the lesser known demons and other dangerous creature that could potentially be found in the area or frequently emerge from rifts, giving a low down of their abilities, weaknesses and best methods to kill them. He figures if there’s one thing Coaltion forces would appreciate it would be it would be tips for combatting inhuman things. And he figures that giving such advice is a no lose move. Either it helps Coalition troops destroy monsters, or it doesn’t and the monsters manage to murder the Deadboys. Either way one threat to innocent people is eliminated and the remaining one weakened.

Occult 5 Success
https://discord.com/channels/3114471644 ... 9023759400

So that’s antother +! For Support
Danny Lee
Danny Lee

Bennies: 3/3 Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue: 0/3 Conviction: 2
User avatar
Nyx
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:51 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Nyx »

Nyx returns from her trip to the local saloon with a few extra credits, but the high from her poker winnings fizzles when she spots the Coalition troops talking with their leader.

She's had several run-ins with the fascists — had pieced together her own armor from the corpses of several of those she'd encountered — and would prefer to just get on with putting the rest in the ground, but the Captain seemed to be going for parlay, at least in front of the townsfolk. Nyx let herself daydream a moment about following the deaders back to their camp and murdering the lot in their sleep, until Doc sent a disapproving buzz through her thoughts.

Alright, alright. We'll play nice, she thought, throwing on fake smile that made her scars stretch alarmingly as she ambled among the Coalition troops, scanning their surface thoughts and emotions for anything that might nudge negotiations the Legion's way.
Psionics (Empathy) Crit Fail
Psionics [ roll=21775]d12!![/roll]
Wild [ roll=21776]1d6!![/roll] Don't know why this didn't work.
Psionics [ roll=21777]1d12!![/roll]
Wild [ roll=21778]1d6!![/roll] Apparently because the board wanted to screw me over.
ANOTHER EDIT ... First set of rolls glitched. Second set came up a crit fail, then disappeared when I moved the post. Now when trying to edit it won't let me include the roll annotation. Do as you wish with it.
Her plan doesn't exactly turn out. Distracted from keeping up a pleasant facade in the face of the jack-booted thugs, Nyx manages to overextend, giving herself and a couple of nearby CS troops nose bleeds and a hangover.
Dice rolls
1d12!!: [1] = 1
1d6!!: [1] = 1
Nyx Harcrow
Player: Tribe of One
Bennies: 3/3
User avatar
Drexler
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:09 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Drexler »

Notice d10!!: [6] = 6 Notice Wild d6!!: [5] = 5
the dreaded Coalition on the scene makes Drexler go quiet and vigilant. He is so keyed in on the pow wow that at first he doesn't hear @Lumo.
Lumo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:58 am
“Oh… I guess you’ve heard of them before. That is good…” Lumo bit the bottom of her lip before asking then. “But I do not know of the giant skulls on spider legs off in the distance over there. The Coalition States does like to put skulls on everything, so I think those vehicles may be theirs as well. Are they dangerous do you think?” She would then ask curiously from her ultra stealthy perch.
Looking towards where the mystic indicates Drexler is taken aback. "Oh! Yes, Lumo, those are quite dangerous." He considers the implications of such an advantageous artillery position then remembers to add "Excellent work spotting them. We really need to calm this situation down."

Knowing his own limits, Drexler decides not to try smooth talking things, but building bridges through common
Common Knowledge d10!!: [1] = 1 Common Knowledge Wild d6!!: [11!!] = 11
instead. He finds a few grunts and even a sergeant interested in hearing about the latest bootleg Action Stan movie, Action Stan joins the Black Company. Then they get into sports talk and while no athlete himself Drexler does love statistics and data so he knows enough to keep involved.
User avatar
Trent Angel
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:28 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Trent Angel »

Trent takes a quick swill from his flask, and makes a token show of offering it to the Coalition officer. Looking around at what seems like a positive interaction, he thinks maybe now is the right time to make a suggestion to the officer.

I hope these CS guys are even dumber than they look. Here goes nothing...

"It has been very nice catching up with you and your team, Captain, but I bet you all have some important patrolling to do. Which way are you headed next, then? Just want to be sure we don't get in your way as you're going."
OOC Comments
Boo!

Bennies: 3/4 Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue: 0/3 Conviction: 2
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4409
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Ndreare »

OOC Comments
Spirit
Spirit 1d8!! or Wild 1d6!!: [3]+[4] = 7
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Post Reply

Return to “Missions”