02 - Returning from Patrol

Post Reply
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Ndreare »

As the heroes return from their patrol, having seen a range of supernatural and alien beings. They prepare to give their report, however approaching the Captain’s tent they see a small contingent of Coalition troops.
Obviously they are very far from their normal lands. But the Captain seems to be taking their presence seriously and speaking with the Coalition officer with a serious look on his face.
As you approach you find that both the CS guards and the TL guards are keeping the conversation one on one.
The CS psi-stalkers and dog boys outside glare at you as you approach. The look on their face suggests they are in some sort of discomfort, likely from the ley line proximity. The energy in the atmosphere is a powder keg.


INSTRUCTIONS:
Time for some networking and social combat.
Narrate how you help argue for letting the people decide and having people from both sides or only the TL interact with the Fade Town citizens.

Social Combat Persuasion: No penalty, determine a leader before rolling.
Everyone else rolls to support, with no limit for the support.
Intimidation/Combat Support: If you try to support with intimidation or a combat skill you suffer a -4 and any failure will remove two tokens, critical failure will end the task, resulting in immediate combat and casualties on both sides and even worse among the townsfolk.


Notice roll -2
With a Notice -2 roll you can tell they are discussing the fate of this city. The CS suggesting strongly that the TL should leave and the Captain Harris suggesting that the people can choose who they are working with.

About half a mile away on the top of the hill two skull walkers can be barely seen hidden.


The other posts are missing so here is a record of the forces you know of in the area.
Gromeck soldiers and shamans
Gargoyles (only 7 were seen)
Coalition (a mechanized company, with a platoon of dogboys, including psi-stalker leaders)
Fade Town Citizens
TL Company of Infantry and Scientist
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
User avatar
Dara
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:19 am

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Dara »

Dara is willing to roll the lead persuasion, but I’ll wait till Monday to do it if anyone else wants to take the lead, just pipe up. There are several human looking folks, besides me.

I rolled Notice over on discord and got a 10, raise so I know about everything.
Last edited by Dara on Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dara
Player: Shiro
User avatar
Lumo
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:19 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Lumo »

Notice check 17

Having long since reinserted the severed tongue she held in her hand back into her mouth. The still wiggling appendage seemed to reassert itself into place as if nothing untoward had occurred. It seemed that everyone had wisely decided that the best course of action was to pretend that they had not seen such a thing occur, as they headed back to town, only to spot and be seen by the two forces that were closely discussing the situation regarding the Rift.

As if on instinct, Lumo would duck down nervously behind Dara once more once the group was spotted by the coalition forces. And as with before, it did absolutely nothing to help due to their size differences. Which, once again seemed to be oblivious to the giantess.

Whispering harshly, Lumo would try to get the others attention. “There are so many interested in this place. The Gromeck we saw earlier, the gargoyles, and now these other soldiers. Also, I don’t want to alarm anyone but… She lowered her voice even more as she took a few breaths before letting the others in on the big revelation. ”… But, I think based on what I read in the legions databanks, that those soldiers with the skull adorned uniforms may in fact be from an organization called… The Coalition States. I will tell you more about them later, but be aware that they could be very dangerous!“ This followed with a firm nod and what started with a slight smile of satisfaction at having provided useful knowledge to the team, slowly diminishing as she was met with nothing but deadpan stares all around her.

“Oh… I guess you’ve heard of them before. That is good…” Lumo bit the bottom of her lip before asking then. “But I do not know of the giant skulls on spider legs off in the distance over there. The Coalition States does like to put skulls on everything, so I think those vehicles may be theirs as well. Are they dangerous do you think?” She would then ask curiously from her ultra stealthy perch.
Lumo

Bennies: 3/3
Wounds: 0/3
Fatigue: 0/2
Conviction: 3
Parry: 7 Toughness: 17(6)
PPE: 15/15
Staff PPE: 10/10
ISP: 29/30
User avatar
Trent Angel
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:28 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Trent Angel »

Notice
Notice 3 in Discord (5 on wild -2)
Trent slides down off his ostrasaurus mount, and gives her a comforting pat as he whispers to her "Hold here, Flyta. I'll get you untacked in a minute."

He takes a quick drink from a flask before turning around to face the Coalition officer and Tomorrow Legion captain who are conversing. Trent walks slowly, sure to approach where both parties can see him coming. He holds his hands up and apart in a mix between a wave and a gesture indicating, "I mean no harm." As he slowly walks towards the pair, he nods courteously to the Coalition guards.

"Captains, mind if I join your chat?" he asks, though he does not stop to wait for a reply. Looking calmly at the Coalition officer he asks "What brings you all this far west?" He hesitates for just a moment, genuinely hoping for a response. Then, almost as if embarrassed, he asks "You all need anything to make yourselves comfortable? How long are you staying" in an attempt to steer the conversation.

Persuade
Persuade 7 in Discord - wild die
Trent uses a benny to get this roll, which is +2 due to Elan.
He's hoping to get the Coalition officer to talk to him, and is trying to subtly make him feel like our guest by checking on his team
OOC Comments
Boo!

Bennies: 3/4 Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue: 0/3 Conviction: 2
User avatar
Dara
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:19 am

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Dara »

Dara makes a show of surveying the surrounding terrain Battle check "visually" and then looks over at the group of dog boys and says, audibly, "These people from the Coalition look strong in tooth and claw, but none of us has the high ground today. There are many groups from different... factions here, and they are all dispersed, tired, and tense. None should crave battle this day." It is fair to say that she may not have noticed the walkes if they are more than 200" away, as radar senses do have their limits, but she smells the fear sweat on the dog boys and stalkers

Anyway, this assesment of the tactical situation should add +1 to Trent's roll.

Then she turns to Nyx and quietly says, "I thought you said they were human supremasists."
Dara
Player: Shiro
User avatar
Miles RAD Radoslav
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Miles RAD Radoslav »

Rad saunters up, slinging his rifle and snapping a twig off a nearby shrub. Tucking it in a corner of his mouth, he drawls, "Looks like this could turn into a real tussle if all you folks aren't careful. I don't think anyone wants that, certainly not the good folks of this town. How about we lay down arms and talk a spell?"
Rad
Character Name: Miles "RAD" Radoslav
Parry:8/7, Toughness: 13/5
ISP:
10 /10
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Bennies: 3
User avatar
Tormento
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:08 am

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Tormento »

Here we were, the patrol was returning to base, there was plenty to report.
As we approached the base we could make out a small contingent of Coalition troops.
Immediately my alarm systems went off, the Coalition was not exactly an ally of ours, and seeing the distribution of troops and the serious face of our commanding officer the situation seemed about to explode.
An armed confrontation would be a catastrophe for the civilians, but above all we should be able to allow the population to choose with whom to ally the Coalition or us.
But I was the least suited to participate in a negotiation, in my time as a human I was not good enough with words and my new state had not improved this aspect.
So the best thing to do would be to stay alert and pray that the skirmish did not start

Perception:6
discord link:https://discord.com/channels/3114471644 ... 4312056872
User avatar
Dorn Giantslayer
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:02 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Dorn Giantslayer »


-3 modifier including Drug Induced Euphoria.
https://discord.com/channels/3114471644 ... 7140993085


Dorn beams a beaded smile at the Coalition troops while at the same time patting his assault rifle which he keeps handy in the crook of his arm as if to say I'm in a good mood so don't piss me off and make me kill you all.

"So where being the bunch of Deceased Boys be coming from? Perhaps they are being lost and need directions out of town, yes? Bu chòir dhut meanbh-bhiastagan tinn a dhol a-mach às a’ bhaile mus cuir thu irioslachd orm agus tha mi a’ co-dhùnadh do ghàirdeanan is do chasan a thoirt dheth."

With that Dorn roars with laughter. "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Is good joke, no?"
Ancient wisdom from the Golden Age: Don't Panic.

Dorn GiantSlayer
Player: Jim
Active Alts: Jim Cannon, Jame Graeme, Steele


Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d12+2, Vigor d12
Pace: 7; Parry: 7(6); Toughness: 21(7) MDC; Size: Normal (2) Burn: 7; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Agility: Athletics d10, Fighting d10, Shooting d10, Stealth d4
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Language (American) d6, Language (Dwarven) d8, Notice d6, Repair d4, Science d4, Taunt d6
Spirit: Intimidation d6, Persuasion d4

User avatar
Danny Lee
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:13 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Danny Lee »

Notice 2 Failure
Danny isn’t sure what’s being discussed between his people and the Coalition troops but he didn’t need to be aware of the exact situation to know a lot is at stake. Lot of people on the team that they wouldn’t look kindly on. That’s the problem with the Coaltion. They couldn’t tell the difference between strange looking people who happened to come out of a rift and actual monsters. Their attitude toward magic users leaves a lot to be desired too. Still, there have been a couple of occasions when Danny actually found himself fighting on the same side as some Deadboys, specifically occasions when the common foe were creatures of darkness that were a threat to all that is good and natural. Maybe he could draw upon those experiences to help foster a live and let live attitude between his team and them.

”Hey, you guys just passing through?” he asks as he walks up. ”Cause there are a few things you’ve got to look out for if you’re traveling around these parts.”

He goes on to talk about a few of the lesser known demons and other dangerous creature that could potentially be found in the area or frequently emerge from rifts, giving a low down of their abilities, weaknesses and best methods to kill them. He figures if there’s one thing Coaltion forces would appreciate it would be it would be tips for combatting inhuman things. And he figures that giving such advice is a no lose move. Either it helps Coalition troops destroy monsters, or it doesn’t and the monsters manage to murder the Deadboys. Either way one threat to innocent people is eliminated and the remaining one weakened.

Occult 5 Success
https://discord.com/channels/3114471644 ... 9023759400

So that’s antother +! For Support
Danny Lee
Danny Lee

Bennies: 3/3 Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue: 0/3 Conviction: 2
User avatar
Nyx
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:51 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Nyx »

Nyx returns from her trip to the local saloon with a few extra credits, but the high from her poker winnings fizzles when she spots the Coalition troops talking with their leader.

She's had several run-ins with the fascists — had pieced together her own armor from the corpses of several of those she'd encountered — and would prefer to just get on with putting the rest in the ground, but the Captain seemed to be going for parlay, at least in front of the townsfolk. Nyx let herself daydream a moment about following the deaders back to their camp and murdering the lot in their sleep, until Doc sent a disapproving buzz through her thoughts.

Alright, alright. We'll play nice, she thought, throwing on fake smile that made her scars stretch alarmingly as she ambled among the Coalition troops, scanning their surface thoughts and emotions for anything that might nudge negotiations the Legion's way.
Psionics (Empathy) Crit Fail
Psionics [ roll=21775]d12!![/roll]
Wild [ roll=21776]1d6!![/roll] Don't know why this didn't work.
Psionics [ roll=21777]1d12!![/roll]
Wild [ roll=21778]1d6!![/roll] Apparently because the board wanted to screw me over.
ANOTHER EDIT ... First set of rolls glitched. Second set came up a crit fail, then disappeared when I moved the post. Now when trying to edit it won't let me include the roll annotation. Do as you wish with it.
Her plan doesn't exactly turn out. Distracted from keeping up a pleasant facade in the face of the jack-booted thugs, Nyx manages to overextend, giving herself and a couple of nearby CS troops nose bleeds and a hangover.
Dice rolls
1d12!!: [1] = 1
1d6!!: [1] = 1
Nyx Harcrow
Player: Tribe of One
Bennies: 3/3
User avatar
Drexler
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:09 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Drexler »

Notice d10!!: [6] = 6 Notice Wild d6!!: [5] = 5
the dreaded Coalition on the scene makes Drexler go quiet and vigilant. He is so keyed in on the pow wow that at first he doesn't hear @Lumo.
Lumo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:58 am
“Oh… I guess you’ve heard of them before. That is good…” Lumo bit the bottom of her lip before asking then. “But I do not know of the giant skulls on spider legs off in the distance over there. The Coalition States does like to put skulls on everything, so I think those vehicles may be theirs as well. Are they dangerous do you think?” She would then ask curiously from her ultra stealthy perch.
Looking towards where the mystic indicates Drexler is taken aback. "Oh! Yes, Lumo, those are quite dangerous." He considers the implications of such an advantageous artillery position then remembers to add "Excellent work spotting them. We really need to calm this situation down."

Knowing his own limits, Drexler decides not to try smooth talking things, but building bridges through common
Common Knowledge d10!!: [1] = 1 Common Knowledge Wild d6!!: [11!!] = 11
instead. He finds a few grunts and even a sergeant interested in hearing about the latest bootleg Action Stan movie, Action Stan joins the Black Company. Then they get into sports talk and while no athlete himself Drexler does love statistics and data so he knows enough to keep involved.
User avatar
Trent Angel
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:28 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Trent Angel »

Trent takes a quick swill from his flask, and makes a token show of offering it to the Coalition officer. Looking around at what seems like a positive interaction, he thinks maybe now is the right time to make a suggestion to the officer.

I hope these CS guys are even dumber than they look. Here goes nothing...

"It has been very nice catching up with you and your team, Captain, but I bet you all have some important patrolling to do. Which way are you headed next, then? Just want to be sure we don't get in your way as you're going."
OOC Comments
Boo!

Bennies: 3/4 Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue: 0/3 Conviction: 2
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Ndreare »

OOC Comments
Spirit
Spirit 1d8!! or Wild 1d6!!: [3]+[4] = 7
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Ndreare »

The Coalition officer, his expression a carefully maintained mask of neutrality, allows a moment of silence to stretch between himself and the assembly of Tomorrow Legion members. His sharp, calculating gaze sweeps over the group, taking in the expressions of anticipation and readiness.

Not accepting the food or drink offered he begins. “Your gestures of diplomacy and your… offers,” he begins, his tone measured, betraying a hint of skepticism, “are noted. It’s rare to encounter such… a unique group. Thank you for your perspectives on threats in this volatile regions. Our primary mission, as you well know, is to secure humanity’s future against the encroachments of the supernatural, alien, and the aberrant. This rifts that remains open for half of every day represents a threat of just such gravity.”

He pauses, allowing the weight of his words to sink in. “However,” he continues, his voice firm, “let’s not delude ourselves into believing that a brief exchange of words and purported goodwill can erase the fundamental differences between our organizations. Your… eclectic assembly of magic users and dbees are not something the Coalition can simply overlook or fully align with.”

The officer’s eyes narrow slightly, indicating the seriousness of his next words. “That said, we recognize the pragmatism in avoiding unnecessary conflict, especially when faced with mutual threats that neither of us can afford to ignore. As such, we will momentarily adjust our operational parameters to reduce the likelihood of direct confrontation with your group.”

He signals to his troops, a subtle gesture that prompts the Psi-stalkers to martial the dog boys and prepare for departure, yet there’s a clear reluctance in his demeanor, as if conceding to this temporary truce is against his better judgment. “This should not be seen as a concession or an endorsement of your methods.”

With a final, lingering look at the group, he adds, “Be under no illusions; the Coalition will continue its operations as deemed necessary, if anything dangerous comes out of that rift we will destroy it and should our paths cross again under less favorable circumstances, do not expect the same restraint. Consider this a temporary reprieve, for the sake of the greater threats at hand.”

As the Coalition forces begin their departure it is tense, organized and methodical, leaving a palpable tension in their wake. The resolution, while avoiding immediate conflict, leaves an undeniable reminder of the fragile nature of this détente and the complex web of alliances and enmities that define the new fate for this small town.

After he leaves the Captain looks around the group. “You did well. I think things were going to go south. They are preparing on the hill across the valley to watch over the rifts. He claims he has a dozen rail guns lined up on the rift and was willing to use them on is if needed.”

"I am tempted to scout their position. But with the Psi-stalker and dog boys I think they would perceive even an invisible scout. It is time to make alliances with the townsfolk. Lets see abut making some friends and getting to know the locals. They have agreed to let us use the rift tomorrow, and we need to let them get to know us."

Then looking to the mystic he adds. "If you can try to fit in, then you should go as well. But if not then it is best for you to stay here."



INSTRUCTIONS:
You are going on a trip to an unknown place. Make a Persuasion roll to make some friends of the locals. Narate what preperations you would make before leaving and then post in the Exodus post (posting soon).
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
User avatar
Lumo
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:19 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Lumo »


Persuasion Attempt
Failure (3)
Persuasion 1d8!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Wild Die 1d6!-2: [5]-2 = 3


Lumo had been somewhat nervous about speaking to people again. The monks and erudites of Psyscape had been understanding of her presence, though had been careful to gently inform her that the giant would be less likely to receive as warm a reception out in the real world. Even then, she had largely kept to herself and had spent most of her time learning from the Sacred Cow, an entity who seemed to see beyond appearance and history. Still, the idea also excited her as the large figure also loved people, even though she had to spend much of her time away from them out of necessity. Perhaps now was the time to speak with them once again? Perhaps all of the words that she had practiced would come to fruition at long last.

“I will try.” Lumo spoke with a resolute nod, clasping one of her hands into a determined looking fist in response to the Captain. The Coalition soldiers had made her nervous, so she had stayed back during the conversation with them, unlike her human and human-passing allies had done, which was more than likely what had allowed them to get through the situation unscathed all things considered. But now that the coast was clear, it was time to head out into town and make some friends!

Confidence, that was the key. That was what she had been taught. Lumo tried her best not to slouch as she walked through the streets in search of someone to talk to. Drawing every stare imaginable from those present in the process. It was certain that those living here had seen a d-bee before, and it was also likely that the town even had at least a small population of such living here. But what was less likely was that they would often run into one as large as she, and of a kind that held a… Reputation such as hers.

Getting supplies for their journey would be important, especially some MREs should there be any available. Of course she had to eat four meals for every one that the others consumed, so cost might be an issue. Still it wouldn’t hurt to at least find out what the price would be so she could plan accordingly.

At least that had been the idea, as the nearest general store had immediately locked its doors and placed up the “closed” placard the moment the owner saw her arrive. Doubtless, even if one were to be inclined to serve her, the recent presence of the Coalition soldiers would put anyone on edge and not want to take the risk of getting shot. Still, it was understandable, it was important to have empathy for those around you and to take stock of their individual situations where able.

As luck would have it, opportunity would strike the mystic as she spotted a middle aged woman leaving the grocery store with several bags held in her arms. One of which had inadvertently come loose and fallen to the ground. Seizing the opportunity, Lumo ran forward to assist, scooping up the fallen bag in one of her oversized hands to aid the woman in her efforts. Unfortunately it did not go well, as the thoughtful gesture was met with shock, horror and screams.

“Help!! She’s going to eat me!!” Came the shrill cry as all of the bags were unceremoniously dropped, the sight of the vicious barbarian cannibal giant that she had heard so much about, bringing all of her fears to light as it had personally targeted her for its next meal. The vicious being already ripping apart her groceries so it could feast on her tender flesh.

“Oh… no, I am just here to help you. I was wondering if–” Came out Lumo’s mumbled reply as the woman left the scene as quickly as she could, leaving the giantess somewhat worried and nervous as she picked up the rest of the grocery bags to see if she could track down the woman. Perhaps someone knew her, and she could do the right thing and return them to her house. Then she would surely see that she was not some sort of monster.


A few hours later, Lumo would be sighted returning to camp with a somewhat sullen look on her face, and what appeared to be several bags of groceries hanging off of her six arms. Her search for the woman had not gone well, and no one else had been willing to speak with her as she approached. One of the Legion soldiers had walked up to the returning giant, asking her “So you’re back! How did your attempt at socializing with the townsfolk go?”

There was a long awkward pause before Lumo slowly replied. “I think I mugged someone by accident…”

This announcement was met with dead silence by the gathered figures.
Lumo

Bennies: 3/3
Wounds: 0/3
Fatigue: 0/2
Conviction: 3
Parry: 7 Toughness: 17(6)
PPE: 15/15
Staff PPE: 10/10
ISP: 29/30
User avatar
Dara
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:19 am

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Dara »


Persuasion 1d6!+1: [2]+1 = 3
Wild Persuasion 1d6+1: [5]+1 = 6

It occurred to Dara to check with the Quartermaster to make sure there was going to be a generator of some kind going through the rift with the advanced team. She had learned early in the slave trade to make sure you had equipment on hand when exploring unknown dimensions. Back then energy had always been freely obtained from the lines or your master's barge, but this human equipment often needed recharging of the type you could not do with your mind, or from a geomancy line, and some places lacked lines. This armor of hers, as useful as it was, often needed to be connected to a power supply line.

Once the generator was confirmed, she decided to head into town and charge her armor for the trip at one of the local techno-wizard shops. She had found these wizards to be particularly helpful in the past, as they understood both the mundane of human technology and the more arcane, and would often seem to enjoy telling her all about how their inventions worked. They were people she could get along with and it would be a chance to do as the Captain had suggested, and befriend some locals. Plus the wizards in the Barony of Hope had always seen fit to provide her with generous quantities of this wonderful drink they called "be-er"

She found what she was looking for at the "Key of Solomon" shop, which was easy to find if you just followed the wing boards circling in the area. She went into one of the repair bays and inquired about the cost of a recharge for the Gladius. As she removed her armor she discovered to her delight that several of the techno-wizards were gathered around, all looking to offer their assistance for what she had taken to be a reasonably routine operation. Once the armor was removed and connected, she arranged her...what had Nyx called them? Her skivvies, yes, and she strapped on her sword and particle beam pistol and went out to the front of the shop to wait.

Two of the wizards out front were busy washing a "wastelander" they said there were in the process of converting, and asked if she wanted to help. "Sure, I'll help," she said, considering the generous discount they had given here on the armor charge it seemed like a nice way to return the favor.
When Dara strode back into camp that evening in her gleaming and fully charged Gladius suit, she held a new keg of beer over her shoulder and a bag in her other hand bursting with a variety of credits in random denominations. Setting the keg down, she began counting the strange chits.

"I think I somehow made money getting my armor charged. I had no idea there were so many techno-wizards in this town, and they all seemed to want to get their vehicles washed. They must have mistaken me for someone who worked at the 'Key of Solomon' becuase they kept insisting on paying me. I'm not even sure what these all add up to!" she exclaimed dropping the bag next to the beer.

Looking over at her giant friend, Dara commented, "I'm glad you got so much food Lumo. I completely forgot about provisions. It was strange though, as I was helping wash wing boards, I remember seeing a number of people running by with torn grocery bags, trailing food behind them and shouting. You really would have thought I'd have remembered to get my own!"
Dara
Player: Shiro
User avatar
Nyx
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:51 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Nyx »

Dara wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:57 pm"I think I somehow made money getting my armor charged. I had no idea there were so many techno-wizards in this town, and they all seemed to want to get their vehicles washed. They must have mistaken me for someone who worked at the 'Key of Solomon' becuase they kept insisting on paying me. I'm not even sure what these all add up to!" she exclaimed dropping the bag next to the beer.
Nyx watches with a smile as Dara recounts her shopping trip and the "helpful" techno-wizards.

"Next time we make it back to civilization, remind me to introduce you to 'table dancing,' Dara. We might never have to pay for drinks again," she says, before heading to the local watering-hole to do a little investigating of her own.

She makes a point of picking up a bottle or two of local moonshine for the road, but she's mostly there to talk smack about the Coalition and see who agrees and who pushes back. Given half an excuse, she'd like to put holes in every one of the fascist thugs, it'd be nice to know whether one of the townies was liable to shoot her in the back when the guns came out.

Persuasion 1d6!!+1: [1]+1 = 2 Wild 1d6!!+1: [4]+1 = 5
Nyx Harcrow
Player: Tribe of One
Bennies: 3/3
User avatar
Trent Angel
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:28 pm

Re: 02 - Returning from Patrol

Post by Trent Angel »

Nyx wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:21 pm
"Next time we make it back to civilization, remind me to introduce you to 'table dancing,' Dara. We might never have to pay for drinks again," she says, before heading to the local watering-hole to do a little investigating of her own.
Trent's back straightens as he overhears the conversation between the ladies. However, he quickly decides not to comment and just move on with his preparation. After draining the last of his bottle of whisky, his flask is not quite full.

He spends a few moments half-heartedly prepping his gear and checking on Flyta's tack then turns to Nyx and says, "Wait up, I'll join you, if that's not a bother."

This town looks a bit familiar, but then again, a lot of these towns look alike. At least when you've been through as many as we have.

His cybernetic eyes quickly adjusting to the low light inside the smoky bar, Trent takes a good look around to take stock of any threats in the room. He walks up to the bar and requests a couple bottles of liquor to go, and a beer for the moment.

"This is a pretty good little spot you have here, brother. You ever do live shows here?" Trent asks to the bartender. He isn't faking his interest when he listens to the man explain the problems that have come up each time they've tried.

Persuasion
Persuasion 1d8!!: [15!!] = 15 Wild 1d6!: [4] = 4

Sensing when the bartenders story comes to an end, he adds a request "Hey, you know anyone who has gone through that rift? Just wondering what a guy might need to prepare for..."
OOC Comments
Boo!

Bennies: 3/4 Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue: 0/3 Conviction: 2
Post Reply

Return to “Missions”