3. A City Aflame

Adventures in Korvosa and Beyond
Post Reply
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

3. A City Aflame

Post by Pursuit »

PASSING BETWEEN WORLDS

The group emerges from the Old Fishery (perhaps with the body of Gaedren in tow - perhaps not; that is entirely up to you!) into pandemonium.

The flickering glow of fires and smell of smoke on the wind are impossible to miss. The clang of alarm bells sing out in harmony with a cacophony of screams, the clash of steel on steel, shrieks of terror, and even the periodic detonation of arcane power.

A wing of Sable Company hippogriff marines swoops overhead, angling toward Castle Korvosa at a breakneck pace. One of the badly wounded hippogriff mounts rains blood down on the street around the group before it succumbs and crashes headlong into a statue, taking its rider and itself to a messy, bone-crunching demise.

The others in the flight do not pause to check on their fallen ally. Amid the chaos, the voice of a Korvosan herald cuts through the din:

"The king is dead! Long live the queen!"

The streets are filled with rioters and looters, and haggard-looking members of the Korvosan Guard struggle (and fail!) to impose some kind of order.

TIME TO JOIN THE FRAY

Let me know what you would like to do, heroes, and I will call for rolls as appropriate. How do you respond to the scene before you?

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Falderol goes to assist the guard. He will do his best to keep the citizens alive but mostly wants to ensure the guards live.
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Morri »

Morri, so used to life amongst the roof-tiles and chimney pots, felt out of her depth with all the chaos on the streets. She glanced round at the neighbouring buildings with a view of getting back up to the rooftops where she felt safer and in turn would be able to gain a better vantage of what was happening.
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Pursuit »

@Falderol Grelemis Heads for the guards, and finds the crowds to be unruly. The streets are full of all types, as the city seems to have emptied its homes and buildings - the street is a flood of people.

It does not take long before someone from the crowd shoves Falderol, and once he makes it to the guards, the guards themselves are panicked.

Please make a Persuasion or Performance roll to convince the guards you are on their side and are here to help. If you have some other skill that is more appropriate to the scene, you can just shoot me a message on Discord.

Meanwhile, @Morri makes for the rooftops. With her abilities, she scampers up without problem. Please make a Notice roll.
Success on Notice
From atop the roof, she sees that the chaos of the immediate area extends a few blocks, and then the streets are clear for a bit before another mass of people - rioters, guards, and who knows who else - clog them up again. This stretches far beyond just this section of the city. With an effort, you think you and the rest of the group could make your way through the crowd if you stick together.
What is everyone else doing?

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Bonk
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Bonk »

“Hwaaaaa?!” Bonk let out with a confused yet annoyed sound as she witnessed the pure chaos going on around her, followed by a few of her companions taking immediate action.

“What the hell is this blek?? I don’t got time fer this!” The goblin barbarian growled out as she tried to figure out what to do. “I’m gotta get this stuff back to Zellera a’fore this crowd destroys her house along with everythin else!” Bonk lets the others know as she hoists the bag with the severed head and deck of cards behind her back, deciding that the best course of action was to simply charge through with as much ferocity, punching, kicking and biting as one could.

Of course it might come to the realization of the others that unlike they, Bonk had not been privy to the information that the mysterious woman who had been distributing cards was already dead and that the goblin was not in fact delivering the severed head of a suspected close relative. Still, they might have not had time to explain the situation either as the goblin suddenly dashed forward, moving so quickly that she would often times scamper across the streets on her hands and legs as if she were a feral animal, ready to pounce on anyone who got in her way. The question was of course whether the crowd would be smart enough to make way for her or not!
User avatar
Zook
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:44 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Zook »

Joining Falderol in going to the crashed guard and hippogriff, Zook as well as George carrying Gaedren's body look to see what they can do to help, with George's mass protecting them as they look at the crashed bodies to see if they can be saved.

"George, keep the people back so Falderol and I have some space to see to the crashed duo. If you need some reinforcement, I can summon something up from the First World to assist. Falderol, I only have the basics of healing, and my healing magicks will only affect George and myself. I can push myself and summon some other Fey Beings to help us as necessary."
Parry 7, Pace 5 (d4), Toughness 6 (2)
  • Bennies: 2/3
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
    PP: 1/11


Parry 6, Pace 12, Toughness 7 (1)
  • Bennies: 0/2
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Morri »

Notice 7
Notice 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
WIld 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Morri frowns as she sees the chaos engulfing the city, this certainly was serious. She stuck her head over the edge of the roof and called down to the group. "Looks like trouble...lots o' trouble...gonna have ta stick really close ta one another if we gonna make it through 'em crowds."
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Pursuit »

Split the Party!

As quickly as the party came together, it splits when confronted with a city gone frantic.

One group, made up of Bonk, Kaja, Ludwig, and Morri, head for Zellara's house, while the other, made up of Falderol, Zook, and George, head to back up the city guard and try to restore order.

Group One: Zellara's Abode

You arrive to find Zellara's house as you left it (except for Bonk, of course, who was not with the main group when last you were here). You see no sign of the food, the wall hangings, the rugs, or Zellara—the furniture is in pieces, scattered throughout the room under a thick layer of dust disturbed only by the footprints and evidence you all left yourselves on your prior visit.

When you enter the house carrying Zellara's deck, though, it begins to glow.

After a moment, the fortune teller herself appears before you, though this time she makes no effort to appear corporeal.

"My friends! You were successful! I felt Gaedren's corrupted soul leave this plane, and you have come back with my deck! Please, keep it with you--I may be able to use it to help you from time to time. You avenged my Eran; I will do whatever I can to repay that kindness. And Bonk! I am glad to see you found your way to other, like-minded individuals. I think together, you could all do something truly special for the city. I do not know what is going on out there, but I feel a malevolence rising. Be careful, my friends."

This time, she does not stay to answer questions and dissappears from view as soon as she finishes her message. Please feel free to RP your response and what you'd like to do next!


Group Two: This is Fine

What starts out a difficult task becomes almost immediately a deadly one. The guards are not up for this, and without your help would already have been overrun.

We will resolve this using the Quick Encounter rules on p.p. 161 - 162 of Pathfinder for Savage Worlds.

You may roll Fighting, Shooting, Athletics (throwing), your arcane Skill, or some other relevant Skill. If you are trying NOT to cause lethal damage, please make your roll at -1, per the typical nonlethal damage rule on p. 136.

If you fail your roll take a Wound (or d4 Wounds with a Critical Failure). Wounds may be Soaked as usual. Success means you emerge with Bumps & Bruises, and a Critical Success means you escape unscathed.

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Bonk
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Bonk »

Bonk simply stared at the spot where the ghostly figure of Zellara once stood, squinting for a long while as she attempted to process the situation. Seeming at a loss for words, or at least being utterly confused about the entire situation. Eventually speaking up with an incredulous rising tone.

“Someone killed Zellara while I was gone?? And she turned into a ghost? Oh hells! I knew that big mob was gonna get here before we did!” The goblin yells into the empty air with anger and annoyance as she somewhat misunderstands how events played out even though the end conclusion was at least partially correct.

“What am I supposed to do with this then?” The small hammer wielding creature asks as she holds up a sack that contained the severed head of the fortune teller. “I was gonna her give her sisters head to her so she could go and deal with it. You know… I’m startin to have a little think that this ain’t her sister at all.” Her eyes begin to narrow as she stares at the sack, holding it up to eye level now. “This is gonna sound real strange, but I’m startin to think that this actually is Zellera’s head. Which is why she’s a ghost now. Well, not sure if she is still cause she’s gone now…”

Suddenly the creature stomped her feet in further frustration. “Dammit I ain’t no priest! What do they do when this happens?” Bonk yelled out to the others as she places the sack with the head on the dusty floor, seeming to think that this was the appropriate thing to do in this situation. “Gaedren told me to let the priests handle the dead, whatever that means. No way we’re gonna find one in the mess that’s going on outside. Probably gotta wait till it dies down to hock all the stuff we got too. What are we doin till then?”

There is a long pause as her narrowed eyes scan Kaja, Ludwig and Morri for several moments, eventually piping up as those red orbs snap open once more. “Wait… Weren’t there more of us?” The small barbarian finally noticing that the party had been split in the process of getting here. “What happened to the blue haired guy, the catdog and the horny eye popper?”
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Fighting (non-lethal): 1d6!-1: [2]-1 = 1
Wild: 1d6!-1: [4]-1 = 3

That kind of stunk, bennie
Fighting: 1d6!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild: 1d6!-1: [6!, 1]-1 = 6


Fighting down the rioters is exhausting work but eventually Falderol is able to help the guards get things back under control. Turning to one of the guardsmen he asks "Is all this from the death of the king?" After receiving conformation Falderol just shakes his head. "He was a good king but this is crazy. I am sure the queen will run things just as well." Looking around for Zook and George he goes over to them. "We better see if we can find the rest of our companions. They may be in some trouble if this is all over the city."
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Kaja and Ludwig come running after Bonk, arriving just in time to see the final words of the ghost. It bothers her leaving the others to deal with the crowds, but given the obliviousness of the goblin, she couldn't in good consciousness leave her alone. She catches her breath as the ghost and then Bonk speaks. "Yes there were and we need to get back to them. Can I have the deck please? I'm no priest, but I am well connected, so I can deal with the other issues if you'll keep us safe. If you stay with me I promise we'll keep things nice and simple for you. Just at least give me a glance and a shout before you run off. If I shake my head or motion you to follow, do that instead of what you were going to do. If that's okay with you, that is."
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Morri »

Morri had had her suspicions that something was...off about the fortune teller, suspicions that were proven when they arrived back at Zellara's abode. The others had seemingly put two-and-two together as well, though some far quicker than others. Sighing, Morri spoke up. "Either way, looks like we got a friend on the other side...."

"But as Kaja said, we gots other issues ta deal with."
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Zook
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:44 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Zook »

Zook Assisting with Spellcasting
  • Spellcasting: 1d8!!: [12!!] = 12
    Wild: 1d6!!: [5] = 5
    Result: 12 - Success with Raise. +2 to George's Roll; 2d6: [6, 3] = 9 PP Used.
George using Fighting (Non-Lethal -1, Assist +2... so +1)
  • Fighting: 1d8!!+1!!: [4]+1 = 5
    Wild: 1d6!!+2!!: [7!!]+2 = 9
    Result: 9 - Success with Raise.


Drawing upon his arcane connection to the First World, Zook fortifies George who then goes to work slapping down the rioters with its large paws.

Once Falderol and George have helped the guardsmen get the rioters under control, Zook looks around and after finding the Tiefling the three of them head out to find their companions.
Parry 7, Pace 5 (d4), Toughness 6 (2)
  • Bennies: 2/3
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
    PP: 1/11


Parry 6, Pace 12, Toughness 7 (1)
  • Bennies: 0/2
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
Post Reply

Return to “Adventures”