01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post Reply
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4413
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Ndreare »

Ostrosaurus image.png
The beings gathers to the central courtyard each came in response to the needs of their Patreon. Each having been informed of the waking of The Great Devourers; Chronos, Jotengande, Shiva and Tiamat in response to the recent changes in the megaverse. Their stirring in the prison the Celestial Palace was built around has required nearly all of the power and energy of Celestial Alliance to slow.

However the primal beings had great power and the whisps of power escaping from the prison are enough that new demigods and primordial powers have been released. Each drawing a sliver of power into themselves and portions of that power being syphoned back into the prison.

The Celestial Alliance has been spread to thin trying to address all the problems being caused and have now tasked their children to aid in the battle. Being formed into task forces and given instructions to hunt down these wells of chaos before they solidify. “We have prepared you as we could. We are sending you to a earth where there is more power than the populations can control. Seek out the agents of Chaos and eliminate them. Do not let their efforts to feed their patrons succeed.”

As they finish their instructions to you, you find a gate has been opened for you leading to a war-torn earth covered in magic levels nearly matching those of the palace. Each of you having been given an artifact of power allowing your patrons will to be communicated to you empathically know your task and feel the draw east from the ley line nexus you arrived at. But first someone will have to take care of the dinosaurs.


INSTRUCTIONS
Well, this is a little annoying, you happened to arrive in the middle of a dinosaur heard, and they seem upset!

The dozens of giant feathered dinosaurs stand more than twice the height of a human, leaning forward in a predatory fashion as they charge in to devour the new arrivals.

This is a not so Dangerous quick encounter. Make a roll without penalty, success represents killing one of the ostrosaurus, a raise represents killing half a dozen and can add some glory to your character.
Modifiers:If you have any of the following add +2. Multiple do not stack.
  • Fast Regeneration
  • Toughness 21+
  • Average (Damage + AP) 26 MD or higher.


Your sight reveals this heard is here as a trap, a rift a couple dozens yards away from the one on the nexus your team came through shows their source.


Once the beings are defeated

Anyone with Battle may roll at +0 (unskilled roll not appropriate here).
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Russell
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:15 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Russell »

Focus 1d8!! 1d6!!: [4]+[3] = 7

Benny

Focus 1d8!! 1d6!!: [4]+[3] = 7

One moment Russell is standing there and the next he is gone. In his place is an impossibly large plump rabbit. The rabbit twitches it's nose and onn of the dinosaurs catches it's scent. The rabbit lazily hops away with the dinosaur in pursuit when suddenly they both go tumbling off a nearby ledge. A large black raven flies up and lands next to the group.
Dice rolls
1d8!! 1d6!!: [1]+[4] = 5
User avatar
Morth Damun
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:22 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Morth Damun »

Morth Damun raises his spear and shouts, "For the glory Gruumsh, I shall smite the Agents of Chaos in the name of the great Celestial Palace!"

The power-armored clad half-orc then jumps through the portal. Upon arrival, he squeals with glee and leaps amongst the charging herd,
Fighting 1d8!!: [1] = 1 1d6!!: [2] = 2 +2 from Toughness =4 -whew that was close
with his spear and vibro forearm blades. His leap into the fray only served to scatter the dinos and Morth only managed to fell one that was not swift enough to get away.

"Why do you flee from Morth! Face me and at least die with honor. I will make it a swift death!"

To his companions, "These Agents of Chaos are not so tough, no? They die like pitiful elves! Asking for the aid of the Mighty Gruumsh was a wise move by the Celestial Palace! We shall claim victory in no time!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the last dinos perish, Morth gazes upon the battlefield. "
Battle 1d4!!: [3] = 3 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
...perhaps there is more to this? Seems like this was too easy. Our foes may be watching so stay alert my friends!"
viewtopic.php?t=7509
Bennies 2/3
Wounds 0/3
Fatigue 0/2
PPE 8/15
User avatar
Vik
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Vik »

Shooting 4
Shooting 1d8!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Wild 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Vik is a bit bemused by all the talk of Order and fighting Chaos. After a few days in Eris' gardens, the goddess's particular brand of non-sense has started making a bit more, or less, of it, and he's beginning to grok that order and disorder are just two sides of the same coin, and the real slice of the pie has to do with creation and destruction, with these Chaos-y blokes falling on the wrong end of that particular 'quation.

"Erm, uh, yep. Stop the Chaos what's escaped, but is also creeping back in, so all the madres and padres and deifical sponsor types can get back to mucking about wif mortals and seeding bastards all over. Right," he says. Still sore about the whole immune-to-intoxication-cause-I'm-a-demigod shite, he throws in a shrug. "Not like there's anyfin' else to do, sober as a nun's canary ... less a course you might have some of that ambrosia what I hear them Greeks talkin' bout, like for rationin' purposes and, uh, morale equivalencies and the like. Maybe ...

He's still working his way through the sentence when the rift activates and drops them all in the middle of a flock of murder-chickens.

"Er, ah, gobble gobble gobble? Gabba gabba hey?" Vik's tentative attempts at avian communication bear not fruit, likely due to the pea-sized pineal glands accompanying the terror-birds' acorn-sized brains. "S'right. I was feelin' a mite peckish ... Oy, that don't me in the mood for a peckin', you daft tweeter."

Any reservations Vik might have had about immediate violence are quelled as he's knocked about a bit by the birds, and he promptly sets to work with his TW nova rifle, ensuring plenty of roast poultry is available for dinner. When the barbecue's concluded, he finds a rock for a sit and begins pulling at a particularly crispy wing.

"Either some wally set these feathered biters here as a 'How-d'you-do-now-feth-right-off,' or they was right concerned like about our nutrional needs," he says, waving vaguely at a second rift a few dozen yards from the nexus the group of demigods rode in on. "Reckon we ain't so much down under the radar as we are flying over with our knickers on display, if you catch my insinuatin'."
Vik Donnager
Quick Stats
Human Techno-Wizard
Bennies: 2/3 + 2/2
Adventure Cards:

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (1d12+1), Vigor d6 +2
Pace: 6 (8) (1d6); Parry: 5 (9); Toughness: 17 (8) MDC or 21 (12) with amulet
Hindrances: Big Mouth; Device Dependent; Enemies (Coalition and True Federation); Gearhead Geek (Quirk-OCD tapping); Overconfident; Stubborn.
Notice d8+2, Persuasion d6, Common Knowledge d4
Edges and Abilities of Note: Adept + Auto-Raise for boost trait, Arcane Background (Weird Science) (Devices malfunction on a roll of 1); Arcane Machinist (Gadgeteer) (six times/session, as an action, create a device with 10 PPE, +5 PPE on a raise, using any TW power, -2 per rank above own); Elan; Luck + Great Luck; Machine Maestro (+1 to Common Knowledge, Electronics, Hacking, Research, Repair and Thievery rolls when interfacing with electronics and machines, +2 with preexisting TW and arcane devices); Master of Magic.
PPE: 5/20
Active Effects: No MAP, double Pace and Running, no running penalty; +1d Shooting and one free reroll/round; Imp. Take Em Down and Imp. Signature Weapon (railgun); +4 damage to cannon, +6 damage to railgun
User avatar
Yiorgos
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:06 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Yiorgos »

TW: 1d10!!: [4] = 4
Wild: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Result: 4 - Success. 3d6: [3, 6, 6] = 15 PPE spent.


Walking through the portal, Yiorgos takes more than a few seconds looking around trying to make sense of the situation. He is more used to the steady routing of the forge and his workshop than being out in the field, but Hephaestus sent him so he will do his part... now what to do?!?

He could make a Gadget and blast a bunch in fire, electricity, cold... or even acid. He could instead make a Gadget that would release a web of restraining energy that would allow his companions to more easily kill them. He could use his Speed Gizmo and use his quicker movements to start shooting the dinosaurs. To many options!!!

Luckily just before one of these colorful dinosaurs charged him, Yiorgos finally decides what to. Using various gizmos on him, Yiorgos enhances himself with the Aim of Artemis and the Speed of Hermes before drawing his Telekinetic Revolver and shooting the dinosaur charging him.
User avatar
Svanthal
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:12 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Svanthal »

Svanthal's normally boisterous and jovial manner is stone serious as their instructions are relayed. He clenches his bearded jaw and prepares to leave to this new earth. "By the All-Father, I swear it will be done." He leaps through the portal as soon as it is large enough for him to fit, eager to be the first to the fray. And the fray, he finds.
An entire herd of dinosaurs are waiting for the scions of order and they appear hungry. Their appetites will be quelled, but not the way they hoped.
"Good! A warm-up exercise. Have at..." He clutches for his belt where his twin axes normally rest, realizing only too late that they were left behind...or were taken somehow. "Magni, you'll pay for this trick! No matter. I'll rend them with my hands!"
And
Athletics: 1d12!!+2: [6]+2 = 8
WD Athletics: 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
, lunging at the nearest feathered lizard. His hands dig like a spear into the creature's throat before it is pulled free from its neck. The dinosaur collapses, dead. He howls with bloodlust and charges a pair of beasts. He tears the arm from one and stomps at the leg of the other, snapping it and causing the creature to stumble. Several other beasts fall in similar fashion, necks twisted beyond their range, bones shattered, and one was simply pummeled to death. Any wounds the dinosaurs might have been able to inflict close shut and mend almost instantly.
As the last of the lizards is dispatched by his companions, he looks around for more. "Is that it? I've barely gotten started! How have you all fared?"
Svanthal Keiv-Thorson
Svanthal Keiv-Thorson
Pace: 6; Parry: 6
Toughness: 16 (4)
Pertinent Edges: Godling, Godlike Regeneration, Elan, Quick
Current Status Post
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Antipas »

Antipas smiles when he gets the words that Earth is their destination. "Good, I have some friends on earth and a lot of enemies. Should be fun." He wasn't sure how the time flow here compared to that of earth as Nemesis had been rather vague, an annoying habit many gods seemed to have. It probably meant she wasn't sure as admitting uncertainty was often difficult for the deific.

He keeps to the back of the group, more than willing to let the hot blooded "kids" rush to the fore. Impulsive and a bit over eager to prove themselves he thinks as Svanthal and Morth jump through the rift. He shrugs and hops through after to find them facing a wave of dinos. Keeping himself in reserve to guard the less melee inclined, Antipas readies his pulse rifle and takes
Shooting d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5 Shooting Wild d6!!+2: [11!!]+2 = 13


Laying down a hail of precise laser fire he makes each shot count, dropping bodies where they trip up subpacks dinos so none get close to "the squishies" and helping those in melee from getting overrun.
MJH wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:31 pm To his companions, "These Agents of Chaos are not so tough, no? They die like pitiful elves! Asking for the aid of the Mighty Gruumsh was a wise move by the Celestial Palace! We shall claim victory in no time!"
"Yeah... this is just a herd of dumb animals, welcome to Earth. They're as much servants of chaos as a flock of birds and about as smart." He considers their
Battle d6!!: [15!!] = 15 Battle Wild d6!!: [5] = 5
here and now however to be less than coincidental.
Vik wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:17 pm "Either some wally set these feathered biters here as a 'How-d'you-do-now-feth-right-off,' or they was right concerned like about our nutrional needs," he says, waving vaguely at a second rift a few dozen yards from the nexus the group of demigods rode in on. "Reckon we ain't so much down under the radar as we are flying over with our knickers on display, if you catch my insinuatin'."
"If you're saying this was a trap, I half agree. Was also a test. They're probably hoping to pick off any weak links and gage the threat we present."
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 25
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 24/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges: Martial Artist, Tattoo Harmony, Sweep,
Bennies: 3/3
Characters Imperator (main acc), Malavish, Antipas, Drexler
User avatar
Sipak
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:27 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Sipak »

Fighting 1d8!!: [1] = 1 , 1d6!!: [2] = 2 +2=4
Benny: Fighting 1d8!!: [1] = 1 , 1d6!!: [4] = 4 +2=6


Sipak yawns at the news, unable to summon much excitement. Still, it could be fun. Chaos jerks needing a beatdown fulfills his purpose and that at least is fun. He is the last through the rift, is attacked by one of the creatures, and the last to emerge from the herd, carrying a particularly large leg haunch and chewing on something. "Any of you good at cooking?"

At the mention of them being a trap, Sipak shrugs. "Makes sense, I guess.
Overconfident
, but hey sometimes you work with what you have. Besides, good feast here if we're honest. So maybe its an offering. We should burn a few for the gods in thanks."
He chuckles at the last joke, amusing himself. "So who do we need to kill so I can enjoy some food? Any ideas?"
Sipak, Divine Claw and Scion of Pakhet

Pace: 8+d8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 25 (8) (Combat Mage Armor and Armored Cloak)
Weapon in hand: The Claws of Pakhet or Rod of The River or NG-56 Light Ion Pisto or .45 Automatic Pistol

Bennies, Wounds, and Power Points: Tracked Here
User avatar
Svanthal
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:12 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Svanthal »

Svanthal scoff-laughs at the idea that this was a trap. "A trap? Did they not know who would be stepping foot on this world? This barely qualified as exercise!" He muses at Sipak's suggestion of a burnt offering to...well, themselves. "Lightning brings fire. I can spark a blaze if you really want your lizard cooked. Is anyone else hungry?"
He scratches his head as he looks around at the myriad dinosaur bones, claws, and teeth, mostly still attached to their original owners. "Say, @Yiorgos, can you fashion a war club using the claws and teeth we have at our disposal? I seem to have been tricked into leaving the Celestial Palace without my axes."
Svanthal Keiv-Thorson
Svanthal Keiv-Thorson
Pace: 6; Parry: 6
Toughness: 16 (4)
Pertinent Edges: Godling, Godlike Regeneration, Elan, Quick
Current Status Post
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Antipas »

Svanthal wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:48 pm Svanthal scoff-laughs at the idea that this was a trap. "A trap? Did they not know who would be stepping foot on this world? This barely qualified as exercise!" He muses at Sipak's suggestion of a burnt offering to...well, themselves. "Lightning brings fire. I can spark a blaze if you really want your lizard cooked. Is anyone else hungry?"
He scratches his head as he looks around at the myriad dinosaur bones, claws, and teeth, mostly still attached to their original owners. "Say, @Yiorgos, can you fashion a war club using the claws and teeth we have at our disposal? I seem to have been tricked into leaving the Celestial Palace without my axes."
The Undead Slayer looks mildly annoyed, more so than his default visage. "You seem to be missing an important point, that they even knew to set a trap, here and now, indicates that they either have very powerful divination, or eyes within the palace. Let us pray it's the former as a spy could seriously fuck the stability of the deific alliance." Hoping that tidbit sinks in, he then begins scanning the area and horizon on the spectacularly slim chance they're lucky enough to be somewhere he recognizes.

To @Yiorgos he says, "I also wouldn't say no to a simple dagger or spear. Something to stab with that doesn't cost me power to summon would be nice. If you get the chance."

Sipak wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:07 pm "So who do we need to kill so I can enjoy some food? Any ideas?"
Shaking his head to indicate he too has no immediate clue, "I too got no clear instructions. Kind of par for the course in my experience. I suggest we look for the nearest spot of civilization and start asking questions. Also letting the more magic savvy look at the site of that rift might tell us something."
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 25
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 24/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges: Martial Artist, Tattoo Harmony, Sweep,
Bennies: 3/3
Characters Imperator (main acc), Malavish, Antipas, Drexler
User avatar
Yiorgos
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:06 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Yiorgos »

Reaching through a small portal that just forms when he reaches out, Yiorgos pulls in a survival knife and his toolkit.

"Now I prefer working with metals, but lets see what I can do. Fangs, especially the canines are needed for edges... as are the claws. I don't know these things' anatomy too well, but I am thinking that their upper leg bones would make a good club to start with... adding a shoulder blade or a few ribs to make it a sort of axe... and then drilling out places to put the teeth to add an edge. The claws simply have a hilt added for a nice dagger or short sword. Help me carve a few up and we will see what we can do. I am also thinking we can also carve off some of the bigger muscle groups to throw on a spit to roast for tonight."
User avatar
Svanthal
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:12 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Svanthal »

Svanthal's smile fades a little, the thrill of battle being stifled by @Antipas' irritating (but probably accurate) assessment of their situation. He lets out a short sigh. "Friend, if they have eyes in the palace, they must be blind. I could have slain each of those monsters myself, bare-handed. @Sipak was with me. We could have routed hundreds more and not broken a sweat. @Morth Damun might even be angry that there weren't more!" A grin crosses his face briefly, but he returns to a serious rebuttal.
"They are one of two things: ignorant of our strength, which is to our advantage; or this is the best they can muster to challenge us, which is clearly no challenge at all." His serious demeanor cracks again. He lets out a thundering laugh as he vigorously, but playfully, grabs his friend Antipas' shoulder. "It's okay my friend! As soon as @Yiorgos puts the finishing touches on my trophy war club, then I'll really get to show them what I'm...uh, we're capable of!" He strolls the field of combat and begins singing a victory song, punctuating verses with fists pumping to the sky. With each punch, you think you hear a faint rumble of thunder accompanying it...
Svanthal Keiv-Thorson
Svanthal Keiv-Thorson
Pace: 6; Parry: 6
Toughness: 16 (4)
Pertinent Edges: Godling, Godlike Regeneration, Elan, Quick
Current Status Post
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4413
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Ndreare »

From the ley line the scions can see a small city sprawling over a great rift in the earth. The city looks to have at most a population of 25,000. But the arcane energies in it match those of any elven or atlantean settlement. Even so the city seems like it would be too small for your patron’s notice. Your artifacts draw your attention to a smaller settlement only a few miles north of the city. The power within your gifts should be able to get you within a dozen leagues of the corrupting work of your prey. The feeling that your enemy works within is strong.

As you begin to head down to the small settlement the team becomes aware that nearly everyone in the small town has magic of some sort. Perhaps a settlement for the rulers of the larger city?
you recognise the larger city as Arzno.
As you approach you can see the town seems like a small haven, with a serene atmosphere as the settlers go about their business, magic can be seen being used casually. The town is kept clean with merchants working from inside building and what seems to be only a single option for temporary housing. Humans, elves and others move about the town. Most not even noticing the Scions as they approach. Until you are nearly in the town itself.

The elven woman who approaches you has a small entourage with her. Though they appear to be more curious than protective as they come. The elf looks over the scions, her eyes lingering a little unwelcomely on the weapons carried. “Hello travelers, my name is Vanima, I am one of the Councilors here. What brings you to Magebrush travelers?” The PPE and mana in the air is enough to blur the senses of any sensitive to such things. However those with the ability can easily tell she is using her own arcane perceptions as she looks over the group. “If you are looking for a place to stay we really only have one in town. Perhaps you will let me show you the way, or are you simply walking through on your way to Arzno?”



Instructions: Your Patrons set you on this task, but gave you no real direction on how to deal with locals. This town will need to be investigated to determine who or what is corrupted.
A simple Battle roll or Notice roll reveals it was obvious the lady seemed to be expecting your arrival as she was already so near the direction you approached from.
Consider, does your character speak and begin the investigation or do they let another more charming member do the leading?


Antipas Eye of Nemesis
The Eye of Nemesis reveals the woman is an adult royal frilled dragon with the normal elements associated with being a dragon. She does not show any signs of corruption. But she is highly protective and that is a weakness that could potentially be exploited by those inclined to do so.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Antipas »

Svanthal wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:10 am Svanthal's smile fades a little, the thrill of battle being stifled by @Antipas' irritating (but probably accurate) assessment of their situation. He lets out a short sigh. "Friend, if they have eyes in the palace, they must be blind. I could have slain each of those monsters myself, bare-handed. @Sipak was with me. We could have routed hundreds more and not broken a sweat. @Morth Damun might even be angry that there weren't more!" A grin crosses his face briefly, but he returns to a serious rebuttal.
"They are one of two things: ignorant of our strength, which is to our advantage; or this is the best they can muster to challenge us, which is clearly no challenge at all." His serious demeanor cracks again. He lets out a thundering laugh as he vigorously, but playfully, grabs his friend Antipas' shoulder. "It's okay my friend! As soon as @Yiorgos puts the finishing touches on my trophy war club, then I'll really get to show them what I'm...uh, we're capable of!" He strolls the field of combat and begins singing a victory song, punctuating verses with fists pumping to the sky. With each punch, you think you hear a faint rumble of thunder accompanying it...
He considers pointing out the many flaws in the young gods logic but decides to hold off, for now. Instead Antipas smiles and agrees with Svanthal, "I have no doubt you will." After the godling strides off, "Well, he is certainly... enthusiastic. But maybe let's keep a few tricks up our sleaves." the Slayer says to the rest of the team. As he surveys the area in which they were deposited he looks to @Russell, "Is that Arzno? Seen it in vids but never got this far west. If so that's good for us." To @Yiorgos "You're gonna love the place, lots of magitech."
Ndreare wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:32 am As you begin to head down to the small settlement the team becomes aware that nearly everyone in the small town has magic of some sort. Perhaps a settlement for the rulers of the larger city?
you recognise the larger city as Arzno.
As you approach you can see the town seems like a small haven, with a serene atmosphere as the settlers go about their business, magic can be seen being used casually. The town is kept clean with merchants working from inside building and what seems to be only a single option for temporary housing. Humans, elves and others move about the town. Most not even noticing the Scions as they approach. Until you are nearly in the town itself.
Battle d6!!: [5] = 5 Battle Wild d6!!: [3] = 3
the approaching welcoming committee Antipas is unsurprised, "Aaand there's the welcome wagon, someone probably sensed the rifts opening and wondered what's going on. We should be golden though, a lot of my people around here as well as other heroic types."

Ndreare wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:32 am The elven woman who approaches you has a small entourage with her. Though they appear to be more curious than protective as they come. The elf looks over the scions, her eyes lingering a little unwelcomely on the weapons carried. “Hello travelers, my name is Vanima, I am one of the Councilors here. What brings you to Magebrush travelers?” The PPE and mana in the air is enough to blur the senses of any sensitive to such things. However those with the ability can easily tell she is using her own arcane perceptions as she looks over the group. “If you are looking for a place to stay we really only have one in town. Perhaps you will let me show you the way, or are you simply walking through on your way to Arzno?”
In Draconic Antipas offers a traditional greeting of respect to Vanima and turns his hands palm up to present his marks of heritage, then he continues in American. "I am Antipas and sadly our business does seem to be in your town. We will gladly share what little we know with yourself and the other leaders of Magebush. However I think it would be wise to do so in private. You doubtless know what I am, as well as my companions, take that as a gage of it's seriousness." Hoping to get the town on their side the Atlantean decides against subterfuge.
Persuasion
Persuasion d4!!+1: [2]+1 = 3 Persasion WIld d6!!+1: [5]+1 = 6
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 25
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 24/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges: Martial Artist, Tattoo Harmony, Sweep,
Bennies: 3/3
Characters Imperator (main acc), Malavish, Antipas, Drexler
Russell
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:15 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Russell »

Persuasion 7 +1 to Support
Persuasion 1d8!!+2 1d6!!+2: [3]+2+[5]+2 = 12
Charismatic Reroll Persuasion 1d8!!+2 1d6!!+2: [1]+2+[4]+2 = 9
@Antipas "Honestly, I'm not sure. I've not particularly familiar with these parts."

Russell holds his tongue until he senses it's time to unloose it. After Antipas speaks, He turns on the charm, or at least his version of it.

His eyes light up "Wow, this place is amazing! Are you guys the welcoming committee?" He openly gawks at the settlement, eyes focusing on the right places, making the appropriate compliments, overdoing it. Even though he is obviously playing it up, and he acknowledges as much with a playful wink, something about it works due to sheer charisma. The welcoming committee warms up a bit to them, as they ponder Anti'pas' words.
User avatar
Morth Damun
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:22 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Morth Damun »

Morth
Battle 1d4!!: [5!!] = 5 1d6!!: [2] = 2
the entourage as it approaches. He removes his helm and plants his spear in the ground. When the entourage fails to kneel before them and instead begins a conversation with Antipas, the half-orc eyes go wide and he manages to stifle a sputter as he turns to Svanthal and whispers,

"Why do they not bow before us? We are not travelers, we are Champions of the Celestial Court, sent to save them from the Forces of Chaos."

As Antipas continues the conversation, Morth begins to (un)
Clueless Hindrance: Common Knowledge 1d4!!: [3] = 3 1d6!!: [4] = 4 -1 = 3
smile,

"Ah, yes! Subterfuge! Very smart, my friend. The agents of Chaos could be listening. Just like the battle with the thunder lizards was a test! I shall use the Eye o' Gruumsh to find our foes!"

Leaning down so he is level with the entourage, the half orc closes his good eye and thrusts the orb of stone and steel, still bleeding in its socket forward. Not without some menace in his voice,

"We will not
1d6!!: [8!!] = 8 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
deception or spying. As my friend Antipas says, take us somewhere where we may speak without worry for who might hear."


OOC Comments
Morth is obviously misreading the situation, but perhaps inadvertently helped by supporting with intimidate.
viewtopic.php?t=7509
Bennies 2/3
Wounds 0/3
Fatigue 0/2
PPE 8/15
User avatar
Vik
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Vik »

Vik seems lost in thought as they approach the smaller of the two settlements. The place seems familiar, though his memories from before encountering Eris are a little dimmer than usual — and most were already pretty damned dim, considering the substances he ingested on a daily basis.

"Witchy-bush? Magic-merkin? Oy, Magebrush, that's the one what's got the right of it. Passed through years ago, on a bit of a walkabout as I was learning the techno-wizardin' trade. Titchy little berg, but there's a geezer at one of the workshops who brews some spirits what'll burn your nose-whiskers and pucker your nethers like nothing else. Spent a month or two 'prenticing with the dodger 'fore a mutual parting of ways. Well, I parted, he was bound for a pine box a couple a meters under. Weren't me! He'd been working on a project what involved elavatin' the milk production of some biddy heifers, and he embiggened one what sat on him. Daisy, she were, the cow. Bit of a surly one, with farts like a necromancer's pantry."

Vik squints at the approaching elf and her entourage, as other memories emerge.

"Have we been introduced, proper-like, before? he says, extending a hastily-wiped hand. "Did I maybe have a roll with your sister, or borrow a bit of cash at the pub? Have you got a sister, or a pub?"

Smiling broadly, he waves a hand around as imprecisely as possible.

"We're just ... here ... and glad to be ... here ... us ... with you ... talking ... and .... uh ... been a soddin' day, ain't it? Care for a pint, mayhaps?" he says, looking up at the morning sun before turning a beaming, hopeful smile back toward the assemblage.

Persuasion 5, +1 to support
Persuasion 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Vik Donnager
Quick Stats
Human Techno-Wizard
Bennies: 2/3 + 2/2
Adventure Cards:

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (1d12+1), Vigor d6 +2
Pace: 6 (8) (1d6); Parry: 5 (9); Toughness: 17 (8) MDC or 21 (12) with amulet
Hindrances: Big Mouth; Device Dependent; Enemies (Coalition and True Federation); Gearhead Geek (Quirk-OCD tapping); Overconfident; Stubborn.
Notice d8+2, Persuasion d6, Common Knowledge d4
Edges and Abilities of Note: Adept + Auto-Raise for boost trait, Arcane Background (Weird Science) (Devices malfunction on a roll of 1); Arcane Machinist (Gadgeteer) (six times/session, as an action, create a device with 10 PPE, +5 PPE on a raise, using any TW power, -2 per rank above own); Elan; Luck + Great Luck; Machine Maestro (+1 to Common Knowledge, Electronics, Hacking, Research, Repair and Thievery rolls when interfacing with electronics and machines, +2 with preexisting TW and arcane devices); Master of Magic.
PPE: 5/20
Active Effects: No MAP, double Pace and Running, no running penalty; +1d Shooting and one free reroll/round; Imp. Take Em Down and Imp. Signature Weapon (railgun); +4 damage to cannon, +6 damage to railgun
User avatar
Yiorgos
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:06 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Yiorgos »

Vik wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:32 pm "Witchy-bush? Magic-merkin? Oy, Magebrush, that's the one what's got the right of it. Passed through years ago, on a bit of a walkabout as I was learning the techno-wizardin' trade. Titchy little berg, but there's a geezer at one of the workshops who brews some spirits what'll burn your nose-whiskers and pucker your nethers like nothing else. Spent a month or two 'prenticing with the dodger 'fore a mutual parting of ways. Well, I parted, he was bound for a pine box a couple a meters under. Weren't me! He'd been working on a project what involved elavatin' the milk production of some biddy heifers, and he embiggened one what sat on him. Daisy, she were, the cow. Bit of a surly one, with farts like a necromancer's pantry."
Learning the 'Techno-Wizardin trade'... Vik is FULL of it! Well, best not to draw too much personal attention from the locals. With these guys here as distractions, that should be easy. Most people see me and the mark of Hephaestus upon my features and are repulsed. Once I get enough money and materials, I will set myself up a nice set of armor that will have tools integrated into it for easy use out in the field.
User avatar
Svanthal
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:12 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Svanthal »

Svanthal leans towards @Morth Damun and whispers (loudly). "It's possible they're simply blind to who or what is standing in front of them. No matter. Our deeds will shout from the rooftops who we are and what we've saved them from soon enough!" He clears his throat and steps forward, his best handsome godling smile on his face and any wiles he has directed towards the woman he doesn't recognize as a dragon.
"My dear lady, it seems @Antipas has recognized something of discernment in you. So

Persuasion: 1d4!!+4: [2]+4 = 6
WD Persuasion: 1d6!!+1: [3]+1 = 4
: we are here on a mission of benevolence. Anything which would counter the natural tendency towards balance and order may well consider its time short. What falls under your watch that gives you concern? We shall root it out and deal with it. Then, perhaps..."
He catches a preemptive look from Antipas and ceases his flirtation. "Yes. How can we help?"
Svanthal Keiv-Thorson
Svanthal Keiv-Thorson
Pace: 6; Parry: 6
Toughness: 16 (4)
Pertinent Edges: Godling, Godlike Regeneration, Elan, Quick
Current Status Post
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4413
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Ndreare »

some rolls and stuff.
Persuasion Player Total 9
Persuasion 6 Antipas, +1 Russel, +0 Morth, +1 Vik, +0 Yiorgos, +1 Svanthal

Spirit 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [7]+[5] = 12


Apparently appreciating the honesty and direct approach Vanima nods at @Antipas the serious tone a strange contradiction to the American godling’s casual joke about a welcome party and faux awe at the settlement. “Trouble?” A second look over the group. “I do imagine whatever trouble would bring a group like this must be important.” Her words feeling more sincere than the words alone should be. It seems Antipas’ direct approach is taken at its value.

When Morth tries a little intimidation on Vanima she seems to give it a little thought. Preparing to rebuke the warrior for the approach her mouth stops as Vik speaks up. Her face settles, as she tries to understand through the thick accent what the man was saying. “Of course. We can have drinks brought while we discuss the important matters mentioned by the Atlantean.”

As Svanthal begins sharing his own words, a mix of bravado and plea she seems to accept for what it is. She herself once had the same world perspective as these young ones.

“Lets head in ot the town hall.” Looking to the side she asks one of the bystanders for help. “Can you please gather some refreshments and of course some adult beverages for our guests?”

She then begins leading the scions into the town. As they walk she points out some significant structures. “This building is the only hotel in town. You can secure a room there.” A few others and finally the town hall itself. “This is where we will be meeting.” The hall is large enough for a few hundred people to meet in comfort, twice that if they are willing to stand and seems well built if out of place in the small town. The greek architecture looking some something one would expect of a palace, rather than a town hall.

As the scions are brought in and shown seats at the front of the main chamber it becomes obvious this will not be a closed conversation. A couple dozen people coming in to watch as the theater-like structure carries their voices for all to hear.

As each finds a seat Vanima sits last and begins the meeting. “So, tell me what it is you are hear for and how we can help one another.” The food and drinks brought out are acceptable, with a style and quality of ancient rome. Not quite what most of the scions are used to, but enjoyable none the less.


Instructions: Conversation here can be as short or long as you feel is natural. She is patient and I will try to reply quickly to short post.

NOTICE: This is a new scene and so you can make a notice roll if you want to.
In general I ignore other rolls unless asked for or required by a mechanic you are invoking.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Antipas »

Ndreare wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:50 am

“Lets head in ot the town hall.” Looking to the side she asks one of the bystanders for help. “Can you please gather some refreshments and of course some adult beverages for our guests?”

She then begins leading the scions into the town. As they walk she points out some significant structures. “This building is the only hotel in town. You can secure a room there.” A few others and finally the town hall itself. “This is where we will be meeting.” The hall is large enough for a few hundred people to meet in comfort, twice that if they are willing to stand and seems well built if out of place in the small town. The greek architecture looking some something one would expect of a palace, rather than a town hall.

As the scions are brought in and shown seats at the front of the main chamber it becomes obvious this will not be a closed conversation. A couple dozen people coming in to watch as the theater-like structure carries their voices for all to hear.

As each finds a seat Vanima sits last and begins the meeting. “So, tell me what it is you are hear for and how we can help one another.” The food and drinks brought out are acceptable, with a style and quality of ancient rome. Not quite what most of the scions are used to, but enjoyable none the less.
As a small crowd gathers to watch the proceedings, Antipas
Notice d6!!: [8!!] = 8 Notice Wild d6!!: [4] = 4
them over in return. Not that he expects their foe to show itself here, but you never know. The public nature of the meeting was exactly what the Atlantean was trying to avoid by asking to meet with the town's council. No need to panic the locals or have the scions moves telegraphed to their foes. Well, too late for that I guess

As his companions dig in Antipas speaks up, "We represent the Celestial Alliance, a compact between the gods that is sworn to keep the great devourers contained. But of late the titans have been restless, and their servants grow bold. A seed of their corruption has taken root here and we seek to remove it."
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 25
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 24/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges: Martial Artist, Tattoo Harmony, Sweep,
Bennies: 3/3
Characters Imperator (main acc), Malavish, Antipas, Drexler
User avatar
Morth Damun
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:22 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Morth Damun »

Morth exits his armor and leaves it just inside the entrance to the hall. He sits down to the feast making sure the armor is in sight and begins to sample everything that is offered. As he does so, he uses the Eye of Gruumsh to
Notice 1d6!!: [2] = 2 1d6!!: [4] = 4 -1 = 3 Fail
the banquet hall. Although the Eye gives him the ability to see multiple wavelengths and spectrums, his unfamiliarity with RIfts Earth makes it so the visual input is just a confusing jumbles of colors.

During the feats, he does his best to mind his manners and allow Antipas to take the lead in the conversation. He mostly succeeds, but at the mention of keeping the devourers contained and removing the root of corruption, he nods vigorously in agreement and pounds his mug on the table sloshing a bit onto the table.
viewtopic.php?t=7509
Bennies 2/3
Wounds 0/3
Fatigue 0/2
PPE 8/15
User avatar
Vik
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Vik »

Vik gulps down ale and spirits greedily, but the booze offered by the Magebrushians (Magebrushitess? Magebrushusauruses?) is no more intoxicating than anything that has passed his lips since waking up starky in Eris' garden.

"What's the point of this whole demi-god-ivering if ya can't get a bit tossed and twisted wif' yer mates in a pub?" he mutters, flashing big, fake smiles at the townsfolk at the meeting. "Maybe one of these geezers has got somefin' a bit more mind-erasin'-like."

Scanning the room for the most likely ne'er-do-well or party-person, he nods and grunts in agreement as the Atlatl-antean does most of the talking.

"Mmmm, s'right. Roots showin', bad, devouring ... things ... and people, too. Must stop devouring, I warrant. No good'll come of it. Mmm. S'cuse me, garcon, can you point me to the, ah, little gents room? Somewhere's with a little nose powder, maybe? For, ah, powderin' the nose, if you follow the unspoken thing what I'm speaking?"
Vik Donnager
Quick Stats
Human Techno-Wizard
Bennies: 2/3 + 2/2
Adventure Cards:

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (1d12+1), Vigor d6 +2
Pace: 6 (8) (1d6); Parry: 5 (9); Toughness: 17 (8) MDC or 21 (12) with amulet
Hindrances: Big Mouth; Device Dependent; Enemies (Coalition and True Federation); Gearhead Geek (Quirk-OCD tapping); Overconfident; Stubborn.
Notice d8+2, Persuasion d6, Common Knowledge d4
Edges and Abilities of Note: Adept + Auto-Raise for boost trait, Arcane Background (Weird Science) (Devices malfunction on a roll of 1); Arcane Machinist (Gadgeteer) (six times/session, as an action, create a device with 10 PPE, +5 PPE on a raise, using any TW power, -2 per rank above own); Elan; Luck + Great Luck; Machine Maestro (+1 to Common Knowledge, Electronics, Hacking, Research, Repair and Thievery rolls when interfacing with electronics and machines, +2 with preexisting TW and arcane devices); Master of Magic.
PPE: 5/20
Active Effects: No MAP, double Pace and Running, no running penalty; +1d Shooting and one free reroll/round; Imp. Take Em Down and Imp. Signature Weapon (railgun); +4 damage to cannon, +6 damage to railgun
User avatar
Stoic
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 744
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 8:58 am

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Stoic »

Academics 1d6!! WD 1d6!!: [4]+[3] = 7
Notice 1d8!! WD 1d6!!: [1]+[2] = 3

"Nose Candy? Oh heavens..." "Antipas is right ma'am. We're here to #(* #&*@ up. Uh, in a nice way, of course." Russel takes a little bit of every food there is, eating it noisily, savoring the new flavors.
GM Bennies 9/9
Wild Card Bennies ?
User avatar
Svanthal
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:12 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Svanthal »

Svanthal, being less interested in public discussion vs. public tests of strength, holds back from saying much of anything beyond what @Antipas has already stated. He does spend some time

Focus - Detect Arcana: 1d8!!: [1] = 1
WD Focus: 1d6!!: [3] = 3 - Extra Effort, add 1 to result
inside the hall. None of this stops him from drinking whatever it is that won't get @Vik drunk but might work on himself.
Svanthal Keiv-Thorson
Svanthal Keiv-Thorson
Pace: 6; Parry: 6
Toughness: 16 (4)
Pertinent Edges: Godling, Godlike Regeneration, Elan, Quick
Current Status Post
User avatar
Yiorgos
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:06 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Yiorgos »

Roman food... close enough to what I am used to.

As he ate enough to be polite, Yiorgos let his companions talk since people were commonly turned off by the touch of his father and how it affected his appearance.
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4413
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Ndreare »

As several of you look around the room for those with arcane gifts, you see that most have talent. Some seem to have only minor psionic gifts, while nearly a quarter as skilled magic of various sorts. Even a few supernatural beings can be seen.

Vanima, maintains a calm, observant demeanor, as she addresses the Scions after hearing Antipas’s explanation. “Thank you, Antipas, for your candor.”

Apparently unoffended by Morth’s roughness as he makes demands, she gives a relaxed smile. “That is not how our community handles things. Most of the families in this community have a master craftsman who works in the city. They deserve the respect to know any concerns and be aware of risks to their loved ones.”

“I have not perceived any corruption, however with your auras we can tell you believe your words to be true. Your arrival does put into context some recent tensions in our community.” She then repeats some of the concerns brought up by others. “If our own arcane senses cannot sense this corruption, how will you be able to?”

The energy in the crowd begins to pick up as people’s side conversations take on a life of their own. The general feeling being more skepticism than fear. The high competency of the people of Magebrush seems to be making them think they would pick up on the corruption. Many of the gathered can be seen to make small gestures as they activate their own divination powers and look around. As each looks their skepticism grows. Eventually many of them decide to lose interest in the gathering of such powerful representatives.

Eventually some debate and arguments break out, with many suspecting the team is up to some sort of scam, brief negotiations it is decided that as long as you allow observers with you and do not ‘act like adventurers attacking people or disrespecting property’ you are welcomed to investigate. Vanima introducing you to Stuart, a middle aged wizard saying he will accompany you and answer any questions you have.

“I think there is no need for further delay. It is a small town, how long will your investigation take?”


Instructions: You have the towns leave to investigate. Now it is just a matter of how you go about it and what you learn. As you move about Stuart will assist and answer questions as needed. Other townsfolk may also interact.

Please make a Notice -8 (investigation) roll, and narrate what you are doing as you search. The corruption is considered to inflict a -6 of the penalty to the notice roll, so if you have abilities (including the Eye of Nemesis) that allow ignoring concealed arcana then they would ignore -6 of this penalty.
Success, narrate or ask me for some apparently trivial signs of corruption you notice, that are much more important than they seem.
Raise, narrate or ask me for some signs of corruption you notice, that are alarming.
2 or more raises, describe what you are doing and I will post some the direct evidence of the major corruption in the town.

No matter what you perceive, Stuart and the locals will not be able to perceive it unless they also make the notice -8 roll.

Appropriate Support skills;
Occult can support with no penalty at all.
All other skills, including arcane skills, can support at -2 if narrated appropriately.
Individual support is limited to +2, but there is no limit to the aggregate bonus.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Russell
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:15 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Russell »

+2 Support (GM Fiat)
Persuasion 1d8!! 1d6!!: [7]+[1] = 8
Like many of Coyotes, er, many, children, Russell has some skill at manipulating people, a source of great entertainment for him. As he follows Antipas about town he charms, befuddles, and keeps people off their toes enough that they let their guard down more than they had intended.

Russell doesn't really notice anything off until, he sees it. A group of young teenagers are gathered around a table outside of a coffee shop. They have a series of printed books with what appear to be Monsters on the cover.

A... role-playing game? Russell guesses, flashing back to the simple joys of youth

Suddenly, one of the kids says "Alright get out your dice, we're gonna roll up our characters!"

All the color drains from the world. A random character creation system?!

Russell shakes his head sadly. If that isn't a sign of corruption, He didn't know what was.
User avatar
Yiorgos
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:06 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Yiorgos »

Occult to Support
  • Occult: 1d10!!: [9] = 9
    Wild: 1d6!!: [5] = 5
    Result: 9 - Success with Raise. +2 Support to the Notice (Investigation)


"There are a few common ways that the corruption of the Agents of Chaos can reveal themselves... but some of them can also just be the sigh of bad luck or coincidence. We must be careful and discriminate between the two. Now what we REALLY need to look for are..."
User avatar
Morth Damun
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:22 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Morth Damun »

Support +2 pending GM ruling

"Fear not, Vanima, for corruption cannot hide from us! The Eye of Gruumsh sees all"

Morth taps the steel orb in his left eye socket as he squints his right eye.

"Gruumsh sees what others cannot and he has bestowed this power on me. All that is hidden will be revealed. Alas, the sorceries and magicks of this world fill my vision with a myriad of distorting images that I do not yet understand. But I will prevail! I will learn the eldritch intricacies of this world in time. For now I defer to the expertise of my comrades in arms who have the occult knowledge to decipher and root out this foul corruption.
I shall
Focus for Remote Viewing with Strong and Group Sight Modifiers: 1d8!!: [1] = 1 1d6!!: [3] = 3 -2 from scene equals a Failure, Benny 1d8!!: [15!!] = 15 1d8!!: [15!!] = 15 1d6!!: [5] = 5 -2 equals 13 RAISE!
my sight to them so they may see what I see. Do not be fooled at what you see next, for while I may appear frail and weak, it is only because the power of Gruumsh's sight requires my full concentration.

"Watch over me my friends as I use the eye to reveal that which is hidden!"


Morth furrows his orcish brow in concentration and his tusked jaw goes slack as he seems to stare off into space. Visions of the town shift between IR, Visible, UV, Microwave, and Radio frequencies ignoring all obstructions and cover appear in the minds of his comrades.

OOC Comments
Idea is to use Remote Viewing on the town to aid the investigation and use the Group Sight modifier to share what I see with the group as if they were seeing it through the Eye of Gruumsh. I am assuming that I have never met 'the corruption' in person so the Strong modifier will negate that penalty making it an unmodified Focus roll to support.
viewtopic.php?t=7509
Bennies 2/3
Wounds 0/3
Fatigue 0/2
PPE 8/15
User avatar
Svanthal
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:12 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Svanthal »

Svanthal's typical approach to investigation would usually mean roughing up suspects. He opts to take a more respectful approach, and instead only
Intimidation: 1d8!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
WD Intimidation: 1d6!!-2: [10!!]-2 = 8
to rough up those who would infiltrate and corrupt the town. He spends his time talking to the townsfolk and offering both encouragement to them and harsh words for any corrupting influences that may try to affect the serenity of the people and the town. His inquiries don't yield much, but his bravado does ease the mood of the populace, making them more apt to bring forward any information about observances that give them an eerie or foul feeling.

+2 support
Svanthal Keiv-Thorson
Svanthal Keiv-Thorson
Pace: 6; Parry: 6
Toughness: 16 (4)
Pertinent Edges: Godling, Godlike Regeneration, Elan, Quick
Current Status Post
User avatar
Vik
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Vik »

Occult 8 is +2 Support
Occult 1d6!!: [8!!] = 8
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Finally resorting to hand-gestures, Vik finds his way to an out-of-the-way commode, where he flags down a properly degenerate-looking member of the kitchen staff able to provide him with a little powdered pick-me-up. To his dismay, it proves no more intoxicating than anything else he's consumed during his divinity to date.

"Like sniffin' graham crackers, it is, all bollocks and no whistle, if you follow," he says to the confused cook. "Put you right off wankin' it would, all theatre."

At wit's end due to such protracted sobriety, he is desperate to find some way to scramble his brain.

"Alright Vik, so the ol' mundane mind-erasin' ain't doing the doin's. But you ain't mundane much yourself, as it were, from all Eris' tinkerin'. Seein's we ain't got none of that ambrosia to quaff, what might be next in line for quenching a demigod-ical parch?"

Figuring one of Magebrush's TW workshops might have something liquid and loaded with supernatural energy, Vik goes on the prowl, keeping his eye out for anything vaguely magical and of at least passing consumability. It's as he does that he begins to notice little things, bits of magical workings that and gadgets that seem just a little off or in disrepair, draining charge when craftsmen of Magebrush's reputation ought to know better.

"Sleepin' on the job, buggerin' sods. Best not be 'cause of they've all drunk the 'sorceled spirits what should have been stoppered and stored awaitin' Vik's arrival, best not. Leave me the dregs and backwash, or naught but old transmission juice. All that's lightbulb shining, ain't it? Thought I saw a garage what services them TW flyers and other engines. Wonder sort of tingly tinctures they've got stashed?"
Vik Donnager
Quick Stats
Human Techno-Wizard
Bennies: 2/3 + 2/2
Adventure Cards:

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (1d12+1), Vigor d6 +2
Pace: 6 (8) (1d6); Parry: 5 (9); Toughness: 17 (8) MDC or 21 (12) with amulet
Hindrances: Big Mouth; Device Dependent; Enemies (Coalition and True Federation); Gearhead Geek (Quirk-OCD tapping); Overconfident; Stubborn.
Notice d8+2, Persuasion d6, Common Knowledge d4
Edges and Abilities of Note: Adept + Auto-Raise for boost trait, Arcane Background (Weird Science) (Devices malfunction on a roll of 1); Arcane Machinist (Gadgeteer) (six times/session, as an action, create a device with 10 PPE, +5 PPE on a raise, using any TW power, -2 per rank above own); Elan; Luck + Great Luck; Machine Maestro (+1 to Common Knowledge, Electronics, Hacking, Research, Repair and Thievery rolls when interfacing with electronics and machines, +2 with preexisting TW and arcane devices); Master of Magic.
PPE: 5/20
Active Effects: No MAP, double Pace and Running, no running penalty; +1d Shooting and one free reroll/round; Imp. Take Em Down and Imp. Signature Weapon (railgun); +4 damage to cannon, +6 damage to railgun
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: 01 - Welcome to Rifts

Post by Antipas »

Ndreare wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:00 pm
Eventually some debate and arguments break out, with many suspecting the team is up to some sort of scam, brief negotiations it is decided that as long as you allow observers with you and do not ‘act like adventurers attacking people or disrespecting property’ you are welcomed to investigate. Vanima introducing you to Stuart, a middle aged wizard saying he will accompany you and answer any questions you have.

“I think there is no need for further delay. It is a small town, how long will your investigation take?”
Nodding in agreement the Slayer gives a direct answer, "With any luck, not long." Noticing the absence of Vik and Sipak he hoped to himself that they were at least being useful and not out causing "adventurer trouble". As they move through the town Antipas often fiddles with the Eye of Nemesis, looking over not only the things pointed out by his allies but the allies themselves. "Calling our adversary chaos is inaccurate. Their goal is one of order, just an order that is antithetical to ours. What we need to look for is not disorder but... "rearrangement"."

Everyone is on the ball so there's a lot to sift through but eventually Antipas begins to see a
Notice d6!!+8: [4]+8 = 12 Notice wild d6!!+8: [1]+8 = 9
of disruption in the natural order.
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 25
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 24/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges: Martial Artist, Tattoo Harmony, Sweep,
Bennies: 3/3
Characters Imperator (main acc), Malavish, Antipas, Drexler
Post Reply

Return to “Fields of Chaos”