03 A Short Test

Post Reply
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4413
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

03 A Short Test

Post by Ndreare »

Seeing the results of Lumo’s situation the Captain arranges for a few men to take care of the situation. The relations officers coming over to her to get her best description of the victim. While the captain’s stress levels look higher than when he was interacting with the CS officer.

Drexler’s trip to the school house and offer to share some books and knowledge is well received. The teacher, Mr. Wheeler, seems as interested in what Drexler knows for his own curiosity as he is for the students. Spending a bit of time copying the data Drexler is willing to share onto the school’s own device. “If you would have time between your missions. There is a lot information here. Maybe you could help us sort through it?”

When Dara speaks with the QM about gear requirements he seems open about it. “You will have to get the reqs approved by the Cpt. But that should not be a problem. They already signed off for priority replacement for gear for the AATs going through.” Her adventures in town seeming to have encouraged the warmth of the town and perhaps some forgiveness for Lumo’s own adventure.
the town does have a local weird scientist. But as Psi-ghost none of them are capable of working on TW devices effectivly.


Nyx finds her efforts at undermining the CS challenged a little as the locals seem to have no prior knowledge of them. But in the end she is able to draw more than a few interested ears. Concerns about how the CS will treat the citizens of a town full of psychics begins to spread. Questions such as “how many are there”, “won’t they just leave”, “what if we do not want to deal with them” begin to spread.

As Trent and Nyx go out seeking spirits, Nyx seems to find a potent distillation made from some sort of giant local blackberry. Made in various strengths, the strongest completely losing flavor. If desired she could try some of the local wine, which they seem to enjoy. Trent’s efforts for a good whisky nets him some, but the locals have nothing that could be considered exceptional for whisky or distillate.
Trent Angel wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:24 pm "This is a pretty good little spot you have here, brother. You ever do live shows here?" Trent asks to the bartender. He isn't faking his interest when he listens to the man explain the problems that have come up each time they've tried.

Sensing when the bartenders story comes to an end, he adds a request "Hey, you know anyone who has gone through that rift? Just wondering what a guy might need to prepare for..."


The old timer nods, his head indicating the direction of the rift one would see if not inside a building. “Not many. Something is strange about that thing. Going through it is easy, but coming back is always hard. Like the town don’t want you back.
“A few have not been able to come back, so most folk stopped trying. But every now and then someone tries it and makes it back. The real problem is timing, its only there when the moon is out, then it opens somewhere else.”

The old timer goes on, enjoying chatting he shares some stories of people who made it back and their adventures. Even sharing one of his own where he went to a place he calls Oakanagua and met giant ape people living in a frozen forest.




The AAT finally gathers, prepared with their gear and supplies refreshed the scientist again reiterates. “The rift should be opening at the same time the town returns in 11 minutes 27 seconds at 6:31:14. Specialist Houser says it will only take him about 20 minutes to redirect the Rift. Once you are on the other side you will have until 19:49:02 tonight. I know the Cpt said you would only be a few hours on this trip. But just remember the time limit.” The overly anxious scientist sounding infinitely concerned about your potentially not returning, as if the intended redirect was not only 60 kilometers away at the top of the mountain at the next nexus on the same ley line.

As the moon comes up the town slows forms with the giant tear in the air above the nexus. Suddenly the rift swirls and begins shifting colors and patterns as Houser uses his skills to control the energies in the rift. He can be seen straining somewhat until the gate finally solidifies. With a great sigh he nods. “It took.” He says as the rifts seems to clearly show the arrival point previously scouted.


Stepping through the rift sends shivers through the heroes arrive as planned at the mountain top nexus. The heavy forest shows signs of animal traffic. But no overt threats. Spreading out and securing the site the AAT can clearly feel a strong vibration in the air accompanied by a low thrumming.

Looking around you see some small animals scattering away from the rifts and its new arrivals. While directly across from the entry a large dark brown colored bear sits watching, apparently not reacting to the new arrivals.

Instructions: You have arrived, the scientist with you, Specialist Houser and Grants, are setting up instruments and begging test communications both through the rift and through the air waves.

You action is to either assist with the testing or investigate and secure the area.
Assist with testing; Roll Electronics -2 or Weird Science -2. Alternatively you may support the team using Repair. They have d10 and combined count as a wild card. Information gained will be based on number of successes with a limit of three significant pieces of information.

Secure the area; Securing the area will require 5 tokens. This is a dangerous area and a lot of unfriendly things could get interested in an open rift that scares away mundane beasts. If less than 5 tokens are had then an Combat encounter will happen.
Roll Notice -2, Survival +0, or you can pitch some other relevant non-combat skill and roll with a -4.
Critical Failure: Team looses a token
Failure: You do not identify or remove any local threats. Gain 0 tokens
Success: You identify a threat and are able to neutralize it. Gain 1 token
Raise+: You identify multiple threats and are able to neutralize them. Gain 2 tokens
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
User avatar
Dara
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:19 am

Re: 03 A Short Test

Post by Dara »

Dara laughs heartily at the idea of her helping with human technical equipment. "You have to be able to read the scribblings on the dials to operate those!" she chuckles as she begins moving in an expanding circle with the others who are securing the area.


Survival 1d6!: [1] = 1 Wild Die 1d6!: [2] = 2
Benny survival 1d6!: [6!, 1] = 7 Benny Wild 1d6!: [3] = 3

Observing her walking in a partial crouch, one could think she is staying in the center of the group for protection. The reality though is that reaching out with her radar senses she is constantly aware of the position of the allies around her, and seeks to keep herself in an easy command distance of all of them. She seeks to learn the terrain, and the position of both cover and areas that might be difficult to traverse.
Dara
Player: Shiro
User avatar
Lumo
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:19 pm

Re: 03 A Short Test

Post by Lumo »


Securing the Area
Notice
Raise (13) Gain 2 Tokens
-2 for scene +2 for Alertness = 0 modifier
Notice 1d8!: [8!, 5] = 13
Wild Die 1d6!: [1] = 1


Even though the Rift had been massive as it formed over the course of the night, Lumo still habitually hunched forward as she stepped inside as if it were a typical human sized doorway. The giant had been somewhat sullen ever since she had to admit to her commander that she had accidentally stolen food from one of the towns folk in an attempt to befriend them. It had seemed as though the reputation of her kind had preceded her and there was little to be had of it. It likely didn’t help that her strange attire made her look as if she were a savage cannibal out for her next meal either, but there were few options for finding functional protective clothing for one her size, and the somewhat sparse survival gear at least served that purpose once it was powered up.

Lumo had an interest in technology, though she certainly lacked the aptitude for it, having revealed to the others earlier that she just barely had an idea of how her laser pistol worked. So it was that when she knelt down and started playing with the buttons on the complicated looking device, that it wasn’t long before she was shooed off by the scientists and told to go and make herself useful in securing the area.

With a dejected expression on her face, Lumo wandered off to aid in making sure the area was safe. As her mystic senses aided her in watching out for magical presence as well, she inadvertently kept a better watch than she thought she was doing. Reporting back any magical wavelengths that were suspiciously heading in their direction so that the others would be prepared for such an encounter. Perhaps even directing the scientists to pack up and move their equipment to another nearby location to avoid such if it was required. At least until the curious threat had passed on by however.
Lumo

Bennies: 3/3
Wounds: 0/3
Fatigue: 0/2
Conviction: 3
Parry: 7 Toughness: 17(6)
PPE: 15/15
Staff PPE: 10/10
ISP: 29/30
User avatar
Miles RAD Radoslav
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: 03 A Short Test

Post by Miles RAD Radoslav »

Rad ducks through the portal, his trusty One-Man-Army Betsy at the ready. He sights first on the bear, but when the creature doesn't react to the team, he slowly lowers his weapon and surveys the forest. "My kind of terrain," he mutters before snapping a twig off a branch and carefully touching it to his lips. "Not poison," he notes, popping the twig into his mouth. As the scientists begin to set up, Rad heads out on a careful sweep of the nearby woods, looking for signs of dangerous animals or people.

1d8!+2: [4]+2 = 6 , Wild 1d6!+2: [5]+2 = 7 +2 from Woodsman


A much larger and more aggressive bear crosses the path ahead of Rad, snarling at the commando and rising onto its hind legs. Rad quickly snaps off a laser shot from Betsy into the bear's arm, and it whines and flees into the forest. "One less threat for the eggheads," he thinks, working his way back towards the rift.
Rad
Character Name: Miles "RAD" Radoslav
Parry:8/7, Toughness: 13/5
ISP:
10 /10
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Bennies: 3
User avatar
Dorn Giantslayer
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:02 pm

Re: 03 A Short Test

Post by Dorn Giantslayer »


Survival 1d4!!: [6!!] = 6
Wild Die 1d6!!: [1] = 1


Dorn crosses through the Rift to the other side with the others, his nerves humming with the chemicals the bio-comp is pumping through his system. As he stalks through the underbrush he checks his weapons to be sure they are close to hand.

The terrain reminds him of the stories the old ones would tell of their homeworld and Dorn chuckles softly to himself as he scans his surroundings "Bhiodh e èibhinn ruith a-steach do elf bhon t-seann saoghal an-dràsta. Na smaoinich gum biodh iad air troich mar mise fhaicinn roimhe. Heh, heh, heh."

Dorn sees some spoor but nothing that should pose a security threat to the mission. Not that he's an expert tracker but it certainly doesn't seem like there is any sign of hostile forces. "To be cursing the luck for sure but so far to being the boring mission, No?"
Ancient wisdom from the Golden Age: Don't Panic.

Dorn GiantSlayer
Player: Jim
Active Alts: Jim Cannon, Jame Graeme, Steele


Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d12+2, Vigor d12
Pace: 7; Parry: 7(6); Toughness: 21(7) MDC; Size: Normal (2) Burn: 7; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Agility: Athletics d10, Fighting d10, Shooting d10, Stealth d4
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Language (American) d6, Language (Dwarven) d8, Notice d6, Repair d4, Science d4, Taunt d6
Spirit: Intimidation d6, Persuasion d4

User avatar
Danny Lee
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:13 pm

Re: 03 A Short Test

Post by Danny Lee »

Using Danny’s Focus d8+2 to scan the area with his Expanded Chi Awareness
Focus 1d8!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Focus Wild Die 1d6!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Spend a Benny
Focus Benny Reroll 1d8-2: [7]-2 = 5
Focus Wild Die Benny Reroll 1d6!-2: [2]-2 = 0


Knowing that he wouldn’t be any help with the technical stuff, Danny concentrates on making sure the area around the expedition is safe. He attempts to reach out with his mystic senses to sense the flow of Chi in the area but finds that he can't achieve the proper state of mind to do so. He guesses that his transit through the rift must have somehow thrown him off. He'll have to try again later after whatever interference it generated within him fades away.
Last edited by Danny Lee on Wed May 08, 2024 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Lee
Danny Lee

Bennies:3/3 Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue: 0/3 Conviction: 2
User avatar
Nyx
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:51 pm

Re: 03 A Short Test

Post by Nyx »

Repair 4 is +1 to Support
Repair 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Coming through the rift last, Nyx pays little attention as the eggheads talk through what comes next, instead gazing around the surrounding wilderness hoping for something she can shoot.

Peace Doc counsels, the word echoing through her skull in an attempt to quiet her anxiety.

Yeah, yeah, all rainbows and fluffy bunnies here, she thinks back, carving a corner off a piece of rock-hard jerky and tucking it into her cheek to soften.

Before she's aware, the others all claim scouting duty, leaving her to assist the scientists. Her knowledge of electronics and the other pseudo-scientific gear is negligible, but she's accumulated enough mechanical know-how from stripping and reassembling firearms to be able to fetch a wrench when needed. It's not much, but her assistance at least lets the brain-boys focus on their readouts instead of grunt work.
Nyx Harcrow
Player: Tribe of One
Bennies: 3/3
User avatar
Trent Angel
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:28 pm

Re: 03 A Short Test

Post by Trent Angel »

Trent immediately starts helping put equipment into place. He is unfamiliar with these exact sensors, but after connecting to his jack he sees that the basic interface is fairly simple. I should be able to help here. He starts whistling a tune for a song he's hoping to write.

Electronics - 1 success
Actually a 5, forgot to include the -2 from the test, and +1 from Nyx's support. +2 is from Cybernetics / CEP
Wild 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Electronics 1d6!!+2: [4]+2 = 6
After getting the first sensor set up to his satisfaction, he looks up to see Nyx hanging out and looking out of place.

"I figured setting up sensors might have been a little boring for you, Wild One. Could you hand me that wrench? I think if I can get his next array figured out, I can consider my day to be a success."
OOC Comments
Boo!

Bennies: 3/4 Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue: 0/3 Conviction: 2
User avatar
Drexler
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:09 pm

Re: 03 A Short Test

Post by Drexler »

Easing his nearly overstuffed pack to the ground, Drexler eyes the equipment needing assembly. "I believe I have just the tools we need." He then begins removing various kits and instruments from the frame pack. After some careful unpacking and sorting he finally hefts out a field repair kit. Seeing Trent and Nyx already hard at work he moves to
Repair d6!!+1: [2]+1 = 3 Repair Wild d6!!+1: [10!!]+1 = 11
the third array. In no time at all he has it together and wired up.

((two successes))
Post Reply

Return to “Missions”