3. A City Aflame

Adventures in Korvosa and Beyond
Post Reply
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

3. A City Aflame

Post by Pursuit »

PASSING BETWEEN WORLDS

The group emerges from the Old Fishery (perhaps with the body of Gaedren in tow - perhaps not; that is entirely up to you!) into pandemonium.

The flickering glow of fires and smell of smoke on the wind are impossible to miss. The clang of alarm bells sing out in harmony with a cacophony of screams, the clash of steel on steel, shrieks of terror, and even the periodic detonation of arcane power.

A wing of Sable Company hippogriff marines swoops overhead, angling toward Castle Korvosa at a breakneck pace. One of the badly wounded hippogriff mounts rains blood down on the street around the group before it succumbs and crashes headlong into a statue, taking its rider and itself to a messy, bone-crunching demise.

The others in the flight do not pause to check on their fallen ally. Amid the chaos, the voice of a Korvosan herald cuts through the din:

"The king is dead! Long live the queen!"

The streets are filled with rioters and looters, and haggard-looking members of the Korvosan Guard struggle (and fail!) to impose some kind of order.

TIME TO JOIN THE FRAY

Let me know what you would like to do, heroes, and I will call for rolls as appropriate. How do you respond to the scene before you?

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Falderol goes to assist the guard. He will do his best to keep the citizens alive but mostly wants to ensure the guards live.
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Morri »

Morri, so used to life amongst the roof-tiles and chimney pots, felt out of her depth with all the chaos on the streets. She glanced round at the neighbouring buildings with a view of getting back up to the rooftops where she felt safer and in turn would be able to gain a better vantage of what was happening.
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Pursuit »

@Falderol Grelemis Heads for the guards, and finds the crowds to be unruly. The streets are full of all types, as the city seems to have emptied its homes and buildings - the street is a flood of people.

It does not take long before someone from the crowd shoves Falderol, and once he makes it to the guards, the guards themselves are panicked.

Please make a Persuasion or Performance roll to convince the guards you are on their side and are here to help. If you have some other skill that is more appropriate to the scene, you can just shoot me a message on Discord.

Meanwhile, @Morri makes for the rooftops. With her abilities, she scampers up without problem. Please make a Notice roll.
Success on Notice
From atop the roof, she sees that the chaos of the immediate area extends a few blocks, and then the streets are clear for a bit before another mass of people - rioters, guards, and who knows who else - clog them up again. This stretches far beyond just this section of the city. With an effort, you think you and the rest of the group could make your way through the crowd if you stick together.
What is everyone else doing?

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Bonk
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Bonk »

“Hwaaaaa?!” Bonk let out with a confused yet annoyed sound as she witnessed the pure chaos going on around her, followed by a few of her companions taking immediate action.

“What the hell is this blek?? I don’t got time fer this!” The goblin barbarian growled out as she tried to figure out what to do. “I’m gotta get this stuff back to Zellera a’fore this crowd destroys her house along with everythin else!” Bonk lets the others know as she hoists the bag with the severed head and deck of cards behind her back, deciding that the best course of action was to simply charge through with as much ferocity, punching, kicking and biting as one could.

Of course it might come to the realization of the others that unlike they, Bonk had not been privy to the information that the mysterious woman who had been distributing cards was already dead and that the goblin was not in fact delivering the severed head of a suspected close relative. Still, they might have not had time to explain the situation either as the goblin suddenly dashed forward, moving so quickly that she would often times scamper across the streets on her hands and legs as if she were a feral animal, ready to pounce on anyone who got in her way. The question was of course whether the crowd would be smart enough to make way for her or not!
User avatar
Zook
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:44 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Zook »

Joining Falderol in going to the crashed guard and hippogriff, Zook as well as George carrying Gaedren's body look to see what they can do to help, with George's mass protecting them as they look at the crashed bodies to see if they can be saved.

"George, keep the people back so Falderol and I have some space to see to the crashed duo. If you need some reinforcement, I can summon something up from the First World to assist. Falderol, I only have the basics of healing, and my healing magicks will only affect George and myself. I can push myself and summon some other Fey Beings to help us as necessary."
Parry 7, Pace 5 (d4), Toughness 6 (2)
  • Bennies: 4/3
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
    PP: 1/11


Parry 6, Pace 12, Toughness 7 (1)
  • Bennies: 2/2
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Morri »

Notice 7
Notice 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
WIld 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Morri frowns as she sees the chaos engulfing the city, this certainly was serious. She stuck her head over the edge of the roof and called down to the group. "Looks like trouble...lots o' trouble...gonna have ta stick really close ta one another if we gonna make it through 'em crowds."
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Pursuit »

Split the Party!

As quickly as the party came together, it splits when confronted with a city gone frantic.

One group, made up of Bonk, Kaja, Ludwig, and Morri, head for Zellara's house, while the other, made up of Falderol, Zook, and George, head to back up the city guard and try to restore order.

Group One: Zellara's Abode

You arrive to find Zellara's house as you left it (except for Bonk, of course, who was not with the main group when last you were here). You see no sign of the food, the wall hangings, the rugs, or Zellara—the furniture is in pieces, scattered throughout the room under a thick layer of dust disturbed only by the footprints and evidence you all left yourselves on your prior visit.

When you enter the house carrying Zellara's deck, though, it begins to glow.

After a moment, the fortune teller herself appears before you, though this time she makes no effort to appear corporeal.

"My friends! You were successful! I felt Gaedren's corrupted soul leave this plane, and you have come back with my deck! Please, keep it with you--I may be able to use it to help you from time to time. You avenged my Eran; I will do whatever I can to repay that kindness. And Bonk! I am glad to see you found your way to other, like-minded individuals. I think together, you could all do something truly special for the city. I do not know what is going on out there, but I feel a malevolence rising. Be careful, my friends."

This time, she does not stay to answer questions and dissappears from view as soon as she finishes her message. Please feel free to RP your response and what you'd like to do next!


Group Two: This is Fine

What starts out a difficult task becomes almost immediately a deadly one. The guards are not up for this, and without your help would already have been overrun.

We will resolve this using the Quick Encounter rules on p.p. 161 - 162 of Pathfinder for Savage Worlds.

You may roll Fighting, Shooting, Athletics (throwing), your arcane Skill, or some other relevant Skill. If you are trying NOT to cause lethal damage, please make your roll at -1, per the typical nonlethal damage rule on p. 136.

If you fail your roll take a Wound (or d4 Wounds with a Critical Failure). Wounds may be Soaked as usual. Success means you emerge with Bumps & Bruises, and a Critical Success means you escape unscathed.

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Bonk
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Bonk »

Bonk simply stared at the spot where the ghostly figure of Zellara once stood, squinting for a long while as she attempted to process the situation. Seeming at a loss for words, or at least being utterly confused about the entire situation. Eventually speaking up with an incredulous rising tone.

“Someone killed Zellara while I was gone?? And she turned into a ghost? Oh hells! I knew that big mob was gonna get here before we did!” The goblin yells into the empty air with anger and annoyance as she somewhat misunderstands how events played out even though the end conclusion was at least partially correct.

“What am I supposed to do with this then?” The small hammer wielding creature asks as she holds up a sack that contained the severed head of the fortune teller. “I was gonna her give her sisters head to her so she could go and deal with it. You know… I’m startin to have a little think that this ain’t her sister at all.” Her eyes begin to narrow as she stares at the sack, holding it up to eye level now. “This is gonna sound real strange, but I’m startin to think that this actually is Zellera’s head. Which is why she’s a ghost now. Well, not sure if she is still cause she’s gone now…”

Suddenly the creature stomped her feet in further frustration. “Dammit I ain’t no priest! What do they do when this happens?” Bonk yelled out to the others as she places the sack with the head on the dusty floor, seeming to think that this was the appropriate thing to do in this situation. “Gaedren told me to let the priests handle the dead, whatever that means. No way we’re gonna find one in the mess that’s going on outside. Probably gotta wait till it dies down to hock all the stuff we got too. What are we doin till then?”

There is a long pause as her narrowed eyes scan Kaja, Ludwig and Morri for several moments, eventually piping up as those red orbs snap open once more. “Wait… Weren’t there more of us?” The small barbarian finally noticing that the party had been split in the process of getting here. “What happened to the blue haired guy, the catdog and the horny eye popper?”
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Fighting (non-lethal): 1d6!-1: [2]-1 = 1
Wild: 1d6!-1: [4]-1 = 3

That kind of stunk, bennie
Fighting: 1d6!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild: 1d6!-1: [6!, 1]-1 = 6


Fighting down the rioters is exhausting work but eventually Falderol is able to help the guards get things back under control. Turning to one of the guardsmen he asks "Is all this from the death of the king?" After receiving conformation Falderol just shakes his head. "He was a good king but this is crazy. I am sure the queen will run things just as well." Looking around for Zook and George he goes over to them. "We better see if we can find the rest of our companions. They may be in some trouble if this is all over the city."
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Kaja and Ludwig come running after Bonk, arriving just in time to see the final words of the ghost. It bothers her leaving the others to deal with the crowds, but given the obliviousness of the goblin, she couldn't in good consciousness leave her alone. She catches her breath as the ghost and then Bonk speaks. "Yes there were and we need to get back to them. Can I have the deck please? I'm no priest, but I am well connected, so I can deal with the other issues if you'll keep us safe. If you stay with me I promise we'll keep things nice and simple for you. Just at least give me a glance and a shout before you run off. If I shake my head or motion you to follow, do that instead of what you were going to do. If that's okay with you, that is."
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Morri »

Morri had had her suspicions that something was...off about the fortune teller, suspicions that were proven when they arrived back at Zellara's abode. The others had seemingly put two-and-two together as well, though some far quicker than others. Sighing, Morri spoke up. "Either way, looks like we got a friend on the other side...."

"But as Kaja said, we gots other issues ta deal with."
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Zook
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:44 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Zook »

Zook Assisting with Spellcasting
  • Spellcasting: 1d8!!: [12!!] = 12
    Wild: 1d6!!: [5] = 5
    Result: 12 - Success with Raise. +2 to George's Roll; 2d6: [6, 3] = 9 PP Used.
George using Fighting (Non-Lethal -1, Assist +2... so +1)
  • Fighting: 1d8!!+1!!: [4]+1 = 5
    Wild: 1d6!!+2!!: [7!!]+2 = 9
    Result: 9 - Success with Raise.


Drawing upon his arcane connection to the First World, Zook fortifies George who then goes to work slapping down the rioters with its large paws.

Once Falderol and George have helped the guardsmen get the rioters under control, Zook looks around and after finding the Tiefling the three of them head out to find their companions.
Parry 7, Pace 5 (d4), Toughness 6 (2)
  • Bennies: 4/3
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
    PP: 1/11


Parry 6, Pace 12, Toughness 7 (1)
  • Bennies: 2/2
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
User avatar
Bonk
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Bonk »

"What? You actually want these stupid cards?" Bonk said with an incredulous tone to Kaja as she held her hand out for the magical deck. "Well I was gonna use them to wipe my butt when I needed, but that ghost there did say something about how she was gonna use them or something. So I guess you can have em." The goblin said as she closed one eye and scratched the back of her head in thought, which at the rapid pace she did so suggested that there was more than a small possibility that the small creature was possessed of lice or fleas. It wasn't certain whether it was from their time in the fishery either, but the wild looking figure could likely do with some sort of a bath at some point. Still, she seemed to think nothing of it as she unceremoniously tossed the deck in its thin box towards the dwarf who requested it, as if the item held no value at all.

"I was gonna say we should just wait in here for the crowd to die down, but who knows how long thats gonna take. Lets go find the rest!"
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Pursuit »

What Once Was Twain

After what seems like days but is more like an hour, the group that went to Zellara's home is able to make their way back to where they "lost" their other party members.

Thanks to the heroic efforts of Falderol, Zook, and George, and the timely arrival of the rest of the group, the guard manages to avoid being overrun. The rioting moves (at least temporarily) to another part of the city.

To Falderol, one of the guards says, "Maybe the queen will. Maybe not. Seems half the folks hate her and half love her, and I can't tell why either way. She's just another royal, you know?"

Once the fighting dies down, the lieutenant leading the troops in the dock quarter says, "Thank you for your help - I'm damned glad you came by when you did. If you can manage it, take this to Citadel Volshyenek and give it to the guards there - they will see you get paid for your help here. If you're the sort looking for work, I imagine there will be plenty to give you in the coming days."

Without needing a check, you would all know that the citadel serves as the base of operations for the Korvosan Guard, so it makes sense the lieutenant would send you there to collect a reward. That's also where the guard typically posts odd jobs and bounties, should you have an interest in such a thing.

Anyone who wishes may make a Common Knowledge roll to know some things about the king and the royal family.
Common Knowledge Success
You know that Korvosa’s (young) queen was born Ileosa Arvanxi in the Chelish city of Westcrown. Most expected her to marry into a more powerful Chelish line, yet she scandalized her family by abandoning Cheliax and sailing to the city of Korvosa, where she met and wed king Eodred II. To the surprise of many, Eodred spurned his numerous previous lovers in favor of his new queen. Barely 18 years old when she took Eodred II’s side, Queen Ileosa has engendered some ill will in certain quarters with her open distaste for Korvosa (a city she’s been heard to call “a backwater colonial village” more than once), but has amassed a devoted following in other quarters for her cosmopolitan bearing and attempts to infuse Korvosa with Chelish culture, art, and music.

The king was old and in poor health. Even so, the speed of his passing has caught many off guard.
Regroup

You are able to find a looted shop to catch a moment's respite and discuss what you would like to do next. The module here is purposefully open ended, putting the players in the driver's seat as to how they would like to proceed and giving me tools to react.

I am happy to provide suggestions or hints, but what to do next is up to you.

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Zook
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:44 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Zook »

Common Knowledge: 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Wild: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Result: 2 - Fail

Pursuit wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:21 pm
Once the fighting dies down, the lieutenant leading the troops in the dock quarter says, "Thank you for your help - I'm damned glad you came by when you did. If you can manage it, take this to Citadel Volshyenek and give it to the guards there - they will see you get paid for your help here. If you're the sort looking for work, I imagine there will be plenty to give you in the coming days."

Without needing a check, you would all know that the citadel serves as the base of operations for the Korvosan Guard, so it makes sense the lieutenant would send you there to collect a reward. That's also where the guard typically posts odd jobs and bounties, should you have an interest in such a thing.
"Me and my friends may be interested in some work, but we will have to decide on that when we finally get together."
Pursuit wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:21 pm
Regroup

You are able to find a looted shop to catch a moment's respite and discuss what you would like to do next. The module here is purposefully open ended, putting the players in the driver's seat as to how they would like to proceed and giving me tools to react.

I am happy to provide suggestions or hints, but what to do next is up to you.
"SO guys... I never did think of what I would do after we took care of Gaedren... I guess I spent too much time worrying about finding whoever framed me that I didn't consider what to do later. I think we should sell all of the stuff none of us wanted and split the proceeds... and after that... we could see what the Korvosan Guard have for us to do. They will pay us for our efforts."
Parry 7, Pace 5 (d4), Toughness 6 (2)
  • Bennies: 4/3
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
    PP: 1/11


Parry 6, Pace 12, Toughness 7 (1)
  • Bennies: 2/2
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
User avatar
Bonk
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Bonk »

Common Knowledge 1d4!-1 Wild Die 1d6!-1: [2]-1+[3]-1 = 3


"What work? Last time I did work Gaedren took all my money from doing it." Came a sharp voice from below as the giant hammer wielding goblin showed up to join the conversation, with a dwarf, a scrawny urchin and a pig in tow. “I dunno if this is a good time to hock all that stuff, any merchant who knows whats what has probably boarded up his shop till this whole mess dies down. Maybe we should hold on to it for now till then yeah?”

She seems to nod in agreement with Zook has he mentions having put little thought into what to do after taking revenge on Gaedrin, but suddenly tensing up. “I don’t wanna go back to chasing down squirrels in the wilds! I had a taste a’ city life and I wasn’t putting in all that work about learning about pants and why you gotta wear em and stuff for all that time for nothing!” Bonk added somewhat defensively, almost indignant over the fact that she had to learn such a foolish thing in order to be accepted in society.

“Well… I guess since Gaedren’s dead he can’t take my money no more. Might be worth seein what this guard place has to say yeah, I’ll come along if you don’t mind me helpin in out if thats what you’re doing.” The barbarian offered as a suggestion then.
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Morri »

Common Knowledge 5
Common Knowledge 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Morri had never paid much attention to the Royals, they were a world away from the rackety rooftops of the city that a guttersnipe like her inhabited. That said, we had overheard snatches of conversations from guards in the streets and talk over tankards of ales in various taverns round the city. With the news of the King's demise, the young Queen was now somewhat....questionable in Morri's eyes. Her thoughts went to the brooch she'd found in Gaedren's possession, if it actually was the Queen's brooch then how did it end up in the hands of a two-bit crime lord?

She would be amazed and greatly surprised if Gaedren had somehow pulled off a heist in Castle Korvosa, that would've been greatly outside of his league. Maybe a chambermaid had managed to smuggle it out and then fenced it? Possible, but still very unlikely and Morri doubted that they would get answers to the particular mystery anytime soon. Despite the temptation to try and fence it herself for a few coin, it was a unique item and she didn't fancy the attention that it would likely attract. Besides, she was piqued by the mystery of how it ended up in the Old Fishery.

The others seemed to be angling for going to the Korvosan Guard to try and claim a reward and/or some paid work. The prospect of coin she couldn't easily turn down, especially as her stomach reminded her that it had a while since she'd had a decent meal. "Can't say that I can do without the coin...even if me and the guard don't always see eye ta eye."
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Pursuit »

The party has some time to deliberate, and even some time to rest up (you’ve had a busy night so far!) before making their way towards Citadel Volshyenek.

The going is tough, as seemingly random groups of Korvosans clash with city guards (and each other), and the trek takes you some time.

When you are perhaps 20 minutes or so away, something shifts along the rooftops above you.

Everyone please make a Notice check! If you have Danger Sense (or something similar), please take that bonus into account - this is a check for Surprise! Also, the streets are Dim, so please subtract 2 from your Notice roll and any rolls for this encounter that rely on vision (attacks, spells, etc.).

Once everyone has made their Notice rolls, you’ll meet your surprise.

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Notice check: -2 for Dim lighting, ignored by Lowlight Vision
Notice: 1d6!: [5] = 5
Wild: 1d6!: [1] = 1


Falderol is a bit on edge as the group travels. He wants to go help the beleaguered guards but also knows the cohesion of his group is important. Also, it is hard to know which side is in the right. There are too many factors in play so he decides to just get to the guard headquarters and see if there is more information to be had.

As they get close he notices a flitting of movement along the rooftops. It appears to be following the group but it could just be another refuge. He prepares himself but does not want to worry the rest of the group unnecessarily.
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Morri »

Notice 5
Notice 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7 -IGNORE
Notice 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Morri had long since learnt that it paid to stay aware of one's surroundings, it had certainly helped her avoid some close shaves in her time. Movement on the roof above, her natural ground, easily caught her eye but she wasn't sure if the rest of the party had noticed. She got ready to draw her blades, but solely wished that she had a range weapon of some description and promised herself that she would address that. Regardless, she hissed to the party. "We're being followed..."
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Bonk
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Bonk »


Dim lighting negated by darkvision.
-1 For clueless hindrance
Notice 1d4!-1: [2]-1 = 1
Wild die 1d6!-1: [3]-1 = 2


Bonk seems somewhat annoyed and frustrated at the chaos going on around her, taking to yelling loudly at groups of rioters who are making their way through and looking like they might potentially clash with the group. Not focusing at all on some of the less obvious dangers that might be lurking from non obvious directions.

"Huh?" She yelled over at Morri as the rogue gave out her warning. "We're being swallowed? By what?" She said, mishearing her through the confusion as she looks upwards into the sky to see if perhaps a large dragon of something was descending on them at that moment
User avatar
Zook
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:44 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Zook »

George Assisting
  • Notice (-2 due Dim Light)
    • Notice: 1d6!!-2!!: [5]-2 = 3
      Wild: 1d6!!-2!!: [4]-2 = 2
      Result: 3 - Fail.
Zook Notice
  • Notice: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
    Wild: 1d6!!: [4] = 4
    Result: 4 - Success.


"So... do any of you have any idea of long range plans you may want to do? I am thinking that I want for George and I to perhaps go and explore ruins, after we get some coin to buy some better gear and some seasoning... Hey... did anyone else see that?!?"
Parry 7, Pace 5 (d4), Toughness 6 (2)
  • Bennies: 4/3
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
    PP: 1/11


Parry 6, Pace 12, Toughness 7 (1)
  • Bennies: 2/2
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Kaja 1d6!!: [4] = 4 , 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Ludwig 1d6!!: [2] = 2

As they walk, Kaja fishes into a pocket and gives Ludwig a treat from a pouch. The pig happily munches on a large grub preserved to remain chewy, if not juicy.

As the gnome mentions future plans, the dwarf shrugs. "I can't not see there being plenty of opportunity. If you've got no plans, I could probably hook you up with some job offers. My family has a lot of connections, could be anything out there." Whether or not she sees the danger herself, she at least sees Morri's response and thus has her cane in hand and gives a subtle command to Ludwig to heel and guard. "Say Bonk, do you like grubs? I get these for Ludwig and you might like them. I find them a bit chewy, but to each their own, right?" She offers one to the goblin, hoping to draw her in closer so at least her skill with her weapon might come to bear in her defense.

Ludwig almost looks annoyed until he finally registers the command and tightens into his Mistress. The fact it also puts his snout near the snack bag is pure coincidence.




Notice (Kaja) 1d6!!: [1] = 1 , 1d6!!: [11!!] = 11 (no lighting penalties)
Ludwig 1d6!!: [1] = 1 (No lighting penalties)
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Pursuit »

As the party moves towards their destination, Falderol, Morri, Zook, and Kaja notice movement on the nearby rooftops.

As the team calls out warnings to each other, two things happen simultaneously:

First, a swarm of tiny, black winged creatures with long snouts and wicked looking scorpion tails burst from the rooftops and begin descending on the group!

You may make an Occult check at +2 or a Common Knowledge check at +2 to identify these.
What are these things?
The swarming creatures are imps, a kind of tiny devil extremely common to Korvosa. Students at the Acadame are required to summon imps as part of their exams, and many of the little devils get loose into the city. They can fly, turn invisible, and have scorpion-like stingers. They are Size -3, Very Small, so attack rolls against them suffer -3 to hit.
If you got a raise on your roll to identify these critters, read this, too
Imps ignore penalties for illumination up to 10”, they take +4 damage from silver attacks, they take -4 damage from acid and cold, and they are immune to fire and poison. They can cast minor divination, minor invisibility, and minor shape change (boar, giant spider, rat, and raven, only) and have a mild poison in their stingers. They can speak Common and Infernal.
Second, a human male wearing no armor turns the corner, pursued by 2 of the flying creatures as he tries to bat them away from his head! He sees the group (and the swarm) at the same time you all see him. Derrick, please drop a description of your new character below when you take your turn!

Let’s get some action cards!

Falderol: Black Joker! Everyone gets a free Benny and Falderol can go whenever he would like in the turn order.
Morri: 10D
Zook: Red Joker! Everyone gets a free Benny and Zook may go whenever he would like in the turn order.
Kaja: JS
Imps: Start on Hold, but will wait for Falderol and Zook to declare if they want to take their actions or wait until after the Imps
Bonk: No action card because she did not make her Notice roll. By house rule, Bonk will still get a turn, but she will go last and her actions will be at -2, as if she had gotten a club on a quick encounter.
Sitrun: 3H


Okay, Falderol and Zook ONLY may either take an action or declare that they are going to wait until after the critters have their turn.

Then the critters will go, and then everyone else.

Assume you are each in melee range of 2 of the flying creatures.

Some bad guy stats: Parry 5, Toughness 6 (4), Size -3 (Very Small)

Image
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Zook
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:44 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Zook »

Occult at +2
  • Occult: 1d8!!+2!!: [6]+2 = 8
    Wild: 1d6!!+2!!: [5]+2 = 7
    Result: 8 - Success with Raise.
    Pursuit wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 2:28 pm The swarming creatures are imps, a kind of tiny devil extremely common to Korvosa. Students at the Acadame are required to summon imps as part of their exams, and many of the little devils get loose into the city. They can fly, turn invisible, and have scorpion-like stingers. They are Size -3, Very Small, so attack rolls against them suffer -3 to hit.

    Imps ignore penalties for illumination up to 10”, they take +4 damage from silver attacks, they take -4 damage from acid and cold, and they are immune to fire and poison. They can cast minor divination, minor invisibility, and minor shape change (boar, giant spider, rat, and raven, only) and have a mild poison in their stingers. They can speak Common and Infernal.


"Those things are Imps. I had to summon some in the Acadame... before I got thrown out due to our mutual friend. They have poisonous stingers, can go invisible, and can shape change. They are also intelligent and can speak Common. Time to fortify us in preparation for their attacks."

Zook (Joker, 2 Actions)
  • Boost Trait (Vigor - All 7 of us, including the person being chased)
    • Spellcasting: 1d8!!: [1] = 1
      Wild: 1d6!!: [5] = 5
      Result: 5 - Success. All 7 of us have +1d Vigor. 7 PP.
    Deflection (Both Him and George for Melee Attacks)
    • Spellcasting: 1d8!!: [2] = 2
      Wild: 1d6!!: [4] = 4
      Result: 4 - Success. Zook and George have -2 on Melee attacks against them. 3 PP.
George (Wild Attack on an Imp, +2-3 so -1)
  • Fighting: 1d8!!-1!!: [4]-1 = 3
    Wild: 1d6!!-1!!: [5]-1 = 4
    • Bennie Reroll: 1d8!!-1!!: [7]-1 = 6
      Wild: 1d6!!-1!!: [4]-1 = 3
    Result: 6 - Hit. Damage: 1d8!!+1d4!!: [5]+[1] = 6 - Shaken.


Drawing upon his connection to the First World, Zook releases the Fey energies into his new compatriots as well as the person running away from the Imps, fortifying their bodies against damage and toxins. Further drawing upon those connections, Zook also weaves protective shields around himself and George.
Parry 7, Pace 5 (d4), Toughness 6 (2)
  • Bennies: 4/3
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
    PP: 1/11


Parry 6, Pace 12, Toughness 7 (1)
  • Bennies: 2/2
    Wounds: 0/3
    Fatigue: 0/2
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Occult: 1d8!: [4] = 4
Wild: 1d6!: [4] = 4

Free reroll:
Occult: 1d8!: [7] = 7
Wild: 1d6!: [2] = 2


With nothing to add to Zook's information Falderol steps forward and
+2 Joker, -3 size: -1
Fighting: 1d8!-1: [4]-1 = 3
Wild: 1d6!-1: [1]-1 = 0
Benny
Fighting: 1d8!-1: [1]-1 = 0
Wild: 1d6!-1: [2]-1 = 1
at one of the imps. Cursing under his breath at the miss he then braces for the counter attacks.
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Performance: 1d8!!-1: [4]-1 = 3 , 1d5!!-1: [7!!]-1 = 6
Fighting 1d8!!-2: [4]-2 = 2 , 1d6-2: [2]-2 = 0
Fighting 1d8!!-2: [3]-2 = 1 , 1d6!!-2: [10!!]-2 = 8 (Benny Spent)
Cold Iron Rapier: 1d6!!+1d4!!: [11!!]+[1] = 12 + 1d6!!: [8!!] = 8 =20 (3 wounds!)
Common Knowledge: 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1 , 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1

Failed Knowledge Rolla; Deflection (melee) on all party members and Ludwig and George; did 3wounds to an imp with a cold iron rapier; Ludwig also does a wound to his.

As the Imps descend, Kaja simply utters “Attack” and Ludwig is off and going. Kaja then sings in Terran, beseeching spirits and elementals of earth to protect them by deflecting enemy attacks. She the lashes out with her own blade, attacking the nearest one, skewering it through its cold heart.

Ludwig charges the nearest, trying to gore the creature before it can hurt him or his mistress. His tusks sink deep, drawing its ichor.

Fighting: 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Tusks: 1d10!!: [5] = 5 + 1d4!!: [5!!] = 5 =10 (does a wound; pity they attack first)
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 3. A City Aflame

Post by Morri »

Common Knowledge 4
Common Knowledge 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Fighting 4
Fighting 1d8!!-3: [6]-3 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-3: [5]-3 = 2

Bennie

Fighting 1d8!!-3: [4]-3 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-3: [3]-3 = 0

Bennie again....

Fighting 1d8!!-3: [6]-3 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-3: [3]-3 = 0

Guess what, Bennie time again

Fighting 1d8!!-3: [7]-3 = 4
Wild 1d6!!-3: [5]-3 = 2

I can do this all day Bennie...

Fighting 1d8!!-3: [3]-3 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-3: [4]-3 = 1

Once more fer luck....I hope....

Fighting 1d8!!-3: [4]-3 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-3: [3]-3 = 0
Imps!

Morri let out a very unlady like curse when the party ran into a pack of the flying vermin, up on the rooftops they were an absolute menace and she'd had her fair share of run-ins with the wee blighters. Where possible she tended to avoid them, but here was no such luck and she uttered a few more curses as the darn critters proved elusive to her blade.
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Post Reply

Return to “Adventures”