The Meeting

Post Reply
User avatar
Stoic
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 758
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 8:58 am

The Meeting

Post by Stoic »

You are each tasked to meet with Elle of Owls in her private office. Please describe your character, feel free to introduce yourselves, etc.
GM Bennies 9/9
Wild Card Bennies ?
User avatar
Bart Willoughby
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:07 pm

Re: The Meeting

Post by Bart Willoughby »

A large orc strides boldly through the doors. He is impeccably dressed in fine clothing. Not a speck of dirt can be found on his coat, his shoes are shined to a mirror finish, and a vibro-longsword is sheathed at his side. He nods and smiles, extending a handshake to all who enter. "Bartholomew J. Willoughby, at your service. I am delighted to meet you. It is my understanding that we are to embark on a most auspicious adventure in the very imminent future, though the nature of our expedition is unknown to me. Pray tell, have you any inkling of our destination or objective?" His vocal tone is disturbingly smooth, considering many orcs sound like uncouth, raging brutes. He laughs a little. "Though I have heard it said that the prize is the journey itself, and not the destination, we still must be about the business of the Legion, no?" He stands at ease but with excellent posture, hands clasped behind his back. "Forgive me, my manners! Brutish, I know. You are?"
Bartholomew J. Willoughby
Bartholomew J. Willoughby
Pace: 12; Parry: 7
Toughness: 14 (5); Size 1 (Normal)
Pertinent Edges: Brute, Dirty Fighter, Nerves of Steel, Quick, Split the Seconds, Sublime Chaos, Tricky Fighter <Off The Handle, Iron Jaw - TW MOM edges>
Current Status Post
User avatar
Mahala
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 27, 2024 9:02 am

Re: The Meeting

Post by Mahala »

“Nor is it known to I.” Came a firm voice from behind the orc, having unassumingly made its way inside as the well dressed gentleman was introducing himself. As the much smaller lithe figure moved to the side behind him, it was revealed that the voice came from a purple skinned horned creature that was nonetheless dressed in a similar theme to Bartholomew, though perhaps somewhat more set for formal business attire rather than black tie gala. Wearing a poets shirt complete with bishop sleeves and black ribbon along with boot cut pleated pants, her attire seemed a bit out of place for one possessing such devilish features. Though those astute enough to recognize the lack of brimstone stench or pungent aura of evil might figure out she was something less infernal and more of a stock d-bee variety that was unfortunate enough to share a similar appearance to such creatures.

“Madam Owls.” The small figure spoke out with a nod of acknowledgement, having met with the Tomorrow Legion Special Ops Coordinator on her arrival a few days prior, though their encounter had been brief as her paperwork had been primarily dealt with by the administration staff. “I take it then that a decision has been made regarding the advisory position as recommended by the lords?” Though even as she spoke the words, her yellow eyes flashed towards the well dressed orc next to her as she clenched the fingers on one hand together a little more tightly. There were few reasons why one would call her into the office at the same time as such an imposing figure, and none of the possibilities that went through her mind seemed over promising. Still, Mahala knew that her task here would not be easy.
Mahala

Bennies: 3/3
Wounds: 0/3
Fatigue: 0/2
Conviction: 0
Parry: 5 Toughness: 12 (5)
PPE: 25/25
Mystic Staff PPE: 10/10
Ninth Eye PPE: 5/5


User avatar
Ahab
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 22, 2024 2:11 pm

Re: The Meeting

Post by Ahab »

Noisily through the door and accompanied by a rythmic thump come a man who's only possible name could be "Ahab" judging from his face, beard, hat and nautical clothing. In one hand he holds a spear... no, more of a harpoon judging from the wicked barb. There is a power source and activation stud on the harpoon, marking it a some variant of vibro-weapon. "Ahab" appears to use it as something of a walking stick, which explains the rythmic thump each time he takes two steps. He leans himself agaist a support pillar with a low grunt, and eyes each and every one of his fellows in the room, one at a time and with a sharp inhale of breath from only the left nostril as his eyes settle.

Once it becomes obvious introductions are in order at the prompt from Bartholomew, he looks left and right before muttering, "hab."
He then looks around for a moment, then clears his throat and says, more clearly, "hurm... Ahab be I."

He touches his hat to Elle of Owls, mumbling, "maam."
User avatar
Stoic
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 758
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 8:58 am

Re: The Meeting

Post by Stoic »

Elle nods back to @Ahab, smiling politely.
She is a tall slender...woman? With delicate avianesque features. There is a small crop of feathers sticking out of her utilitarian jumpsuit, her big round eyes regard you all curiously. "Thank you all for gathering. Please, have a seat." as you each find one of the hodge podge of chairs, clearly assembled hastily as they do not match in any way, though there is a chair suitable for each of your various sizes, she pulls down a screen from the wall and clicks a button on the remote you now notice in her hand. On the screen appears the head of a robot of unknown origin. Even @Maki_Maverick A robot pilot herself, has never seen such a design.

Another click and you see what appears to be part of a torso from the same robot.

"We've come across this in the field an no one seems to be familiar with it. At first we thought it might be a one off custom experimental design, but after talking to some of the SETs there are several reports of this design being spotted. We don't know who is making them or even where they are from, which is why I have gathered all of you here. Each of you has a skill set that will be useful to help find out more about this. I have a contact, Noldrin Frostforge, a Dwarf that operates out of MercTown who has reportedly engaged in combat with these bots before. I need you to transport the pieces we have to him, and then after that we have a subject matter expert in Ishpeming who has agreed to analyze the parts for us. Report to the motor pool at 0800 tomorrow. Do you have any questions?"
GM Bennies 9/9
Wild Card Bennies ?
User avatar
Maki_Maverick
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:20 am

Re: The Meeting

Post by Maki_Maverick »

Maki is the last through the door, wiping her hands on a great-stained rag. "Present, present!" the young woman says, being new to even the loose organization of the Tomorrow Legion. She's in a pilot suit that looks (and is) cobbled together from several suits of armor, with exotic-looking control panels strapped to both forearms and a laser pistol in a chest holster. "Maki Maverick reporting for duty!" she says belatedly.

She takes a seat as she looks over the assorted and often large other members of the team. "Whoa, hello there, what do we have here?" she asks with great interest as the robot image comes up on the screen.
User avatar
Bart Willoughby
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:07 pm

Re: The Meeting

Post by Bart Willoughby »

Bart's eyebrows perk up at the purple-skinned woman who clearly shares a similar taste in fine clothing. "Madam! Count this as a profession of admiration for your manner, and your coiffure is quite exotic!" He gestures open-handed towards her horns. "Might I inquire regarding your stylist and how they achieved such an effect? It suits you beautifully!"
As @Ahab enters the room, Bart's manner changes slightly. "Good sir, I salute you. I am Bartholomew J. Willoughby, and I venture to guess you may have a wealth of tales to tell of mighty exploits! I eagerly anticipate such an opportunity as I may hear a few!"
Once Elle of Owls begins her presentation, Bartholomew settles into the meeting, listening intently to the instructions. Muttering to himself "...robots... Frostforge...Ishpeming...I have one. Should we anticipate adversity beyond the normal perils of the wild? Have any nefarious forces set their ill intent on absconding with our cargo? If so, have they knowledge of our party specifically, and what contraband we carry?"
Bartholomew J. Willoughby
Bartholomew J. Willoughby
Pace: 12; Parry: 7
Toughness: 14 (5); Size 1 (Normal)
Pertinent Edges: Brute, Dirty Fighter, Nerves of Steel, Quick, Split the Seconds, Sublime Chaos, Tricky Fighter <Off The Handle, Iron Jaw - TW MOM edges>
Current Status Post
User avatar
Ahab
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 22, 2024 2:11 pm

Re: The Meeting

Post by Ahab »

"A good question Willoughby. Unusual things always be a draw for more unusual things."
Ahab snorts, looks about to spit, but then seems to think better of it, glancing at the surrounds.
"Any one o 'ye know this Frostforge from before, or we goin ta learn 'im when we meet?"
User avatar
John Carter
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:27 pm

Re: The Meeting

Post by John Carter »

When John receives the order to meet with Elle of Owls he makes sure he’s promptly in her office at the listed time. He has been anticipating such a summons ever since he had first joined the Tomorrow Legion. He had joined the organization to help him fulfill the mission given to him by the Freedom Defense Force to gather intelligence on Earth. But instead of immediately being sent out into the field as he had hoped, he at first had been assigned to Castle Refuge’s Engineering & Maintenance Department. Since then he had patiently performed the duties assigned to him while the application he submitted to join one of the Legion’s Special Units was reviewed. The summons to report to First Chief’s office could only mean it has finally been approved.

His eagerness to confirm his hopes results in him being the first one there.

Reporting for duty,” he says as he salutes the First Chief and then patiently waits for the others so the meeting could begin. It’s not long before someone he assumes will be one of his teammates arrives. John raises an eyebrow. He looks like an orc straight out of Lord of The Rings (The original Jackson Trilogy, not the 2075 Peyton reboot) but he’s dressed like some sort of gentleman swashbuckler.
Snake Eyes wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:26 pm "Bartholomew J. Willoughby, at your service. I am delighted to meet you. It is my understanding that we are to embark on a most auspicious adventure in the very imminent future, though the nature of our expedition is unknown to me. Pray tell, have you any inkling of our destination or objective?"


John’s surprised to hear a posh accent that reminds him of King Phillip of Yuro Station’s British Wing come out of the figure’s mouth.
Snake Eyes wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:26 pm He laughs a little. "Though I have heard it said that the prize is the journey itself, and not the destination, we still must be about the business of the Legion, no?" He stands at ease but with excellent posture, hands clasped behind his back. "Forgive me, my manners! Brutish, I know. You are?"
John not having worn his armor to the meeting, Bartholomew sees a dark haired human male in his early twenties with a lean, athletic build, dressed in a black and grey jumpsuit.
IMG_3175_upscayl_4x_remacri.png
“John Carter,” he replies, managing to stop himself from including his FDF rank. He reminds himself again he’s supposed to be from a small town in Kansas who joined the Legion to see the world. “Nice to meet you. And to answer your question, I’ve got no idea what the mission is yet.”
Mahala wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:22 am “Nor is it known to I.”
John sees a purple-skinned alien that looks sort of like a cute demon girl from Pre-Apoclypse anime, in smart business attire.

“Looks like I’m a little underdressed,” John mutters softly to himself. ”Like John McClane at the Nakatomi Christmas party,”
Mahala wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:22 am“Madam Owls.” The small figure spoke out with a nod of acknowledgement, having met with the Tomorrow Legion Special Ops Coordinator on her arrival a few days prior, though their encounter had been brief as her paperwork had been primarily dealt with by the administration staff. “I take it then that a decision has been made regarding the advisory position as recommended by the lords?”
John isn’t sure what “lords” she’s referring to but he gets the impression she’s some sort of VIP. Before he could speculate further a grizzled older man dressed in nautical gear comes into the room, using a wicked looking spear as a walking stick.
Ahab wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:44 pm Once it becomes obvious introductions are in order at the prompt from Bartholomew, he looks left and right before muttering, "hab."
He then looks around for a moment, then clears his throat and says, more clearly, "hurm... Ahab be I."
“Well call me Ishmael,” John quips, having seen several Moby Dick adaptions. He then adds apologetically ‘No, actually don’t. Sorry, that was a joke. Name’s Carter, John Carter.”
Ahab wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:44 pm He touches his hat to Elle of Owls, mumbling, "maam."
When Elle of Owls asks them all to sit down John quickly complies and listens intently as she begins the briefing, only distracted momentarily when a young pilot rushes into the room introducing herself as Maki Maverick.
Snake Eyes wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:32 pm Once Elle of Owls begins her presentation, Bartholomew settles into the meeting, listening intently to the instructions. Muttering to himself "...robots... Frostforge...Ishpeming...I have one. Should we anticipate adversity beyond the normal perils of the wild? Have any nefarious forces set their ill intent on absconding with our cargo? If so, have they knowledge of our party specifically, and what contraband we carry?"
“Well, they couldn’t have any knowledge of us specifically considering we’ve only now just been assembled,” John points out.
Ahab wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:59 pm "A good question Willoughby. Unusual things always be a draw for more unusual things."
Ahab snorts, looks about to spit, but then seems to think better of it, glancing at the surrounds.
"Any one o 'ye know this Frostforge from before, or we goin ta learn 'im when we meet?"
“Never heard of the guy,” John admits. He then looks back to Elle of Owls. “First Chief, are we going to get files on this Frostforge guy and that other expert?
Last edited by John Carter on Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Carter
John Carter

Bennies: 3/3 ISP: 20/20 Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue: 0/3 Conviction: 0
User avatar
Mahala
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 27, 2024 9:02 am

Re: The Meeting

Post by Mahala »

There was a long pause as Mahala simply stared at Elle, as the plumed woman gave an evasive answer to her question that left it up to her own inference. Even worse still, she had been presented with the image of a robot and told she had a skillset that would be useful regarding it. Even as far as magical golems went, such automations weren’t her area of expertise. In short, she was about as far removed from this subject as could be imagined. So why was it that this was to be her first task?

“Madam Owls, are you certain th–” The magus was cut off from her careful question abruptly as Bart perked up and excitedly introduced himself to her with an unexpected eloquence even after having heard such earlier from him. Her eyes widened at the lavishness and interest in her horns, though it was obvious that he had mistaken them for a creative hairstyle.

It took another moment for her to collect her thoughts, glancing about the room to Maki and Ahab as she studied the other equally as colorful persons. It became clearer to her then, that the qualifications that they all held in common was that they were clearly combat capable, which meant Owls expected a great degree of danger on this trip. “A Vernulian stylist back home pulled off the feathered effect at the nape, one that thankfully lasts longer than most considering the locks do not grow on their own. My kind do not normally possess hair at all, but the magical implantation was… Highly recommended, Mister Willoughby,.” Came a serious yet slightly amused tone as she did her best to feel out the well dressed orc, observing him further as he greets the others and makes polite conversation with them as well. “Is it… Magic that you have dabbled in as well?” Mahala finally asks with a slight tilt of her head, as if wondering where the figure could have come from without being so rude as to directly ask.

Telling that Ahab was clearly the experienced sea dog type, and likely a man of few words, the D’Norr seemed to relax a bit around him. Those types generally wore their hearts on their sleeves, as salted and worn out as they were. If there were to be any problems with him, she expected that he would be straight up and non evasive regarding it and thus reasonable even if others might not think so at first glance. Though they also tended to be very principled types who were unrelenting when it came to those beliefs.

Finally as the only person possibly shorter than herself in the room, Maki seemed also to be straight forward and excitable, and perhaps the one with the most actual expertise in dealing with what they were to face from a knowledge perspective. She would need to be kept alive first and foremost for long term success.

Mahala let out a slow exhale as she closed her eyes in partial frustration with herself, she was already triaging and sorting them when it came to battle positions and they had only just met. It made her mind swim and unable to sit still when she needed to keep her focus on the here and now, choosing to do so by suddenly asking Elle a question about the details.

“What were the circumstances regarding the battles that caused Mister Frostforge to engage these… Things? Did he or they strike first? What was their motivation? Did it seem as though they were after anything or was it a seemingly random act of violence? How much difficulty did he have in disabling it to the point of inoperation? Were there others nearby as the battles occurred?” Came the series of inquiries in rapid succession as she engaged her communicator to start recording the answers that may or may not be provided. “I expect that your contact will be able to provide the most detail, but there may be discrepancies that he will forget due to the passage of time that may have informed you.”
Mahala

Bennies: 3/3
Wounds: 0/3
Fatigue: 0/2
Conviction: 0
Parry: 5 Toughness: 12 (5)
PPE: 25/25
Mystic Staff PPE: 10/10
Ninth Eye PPE: 5/5


User avatar
Bart Willoughby
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:07 pm

Re: The Meeting

Post by Bart Willoughby »

@Mahala's explanation of her hairstyle causes a clearly bewildered look to cross his face. "Your kind, madam? I..." He struggles to collect his thoughts, visibly shaking his head as if to jumpstart comprehension. "So...magic, you say? I witnessed quite a magical treat, once. An illusionist caused a coin to emerge from a spectator's ear, though they had never met before. This subtle fellow even managed to produce a rabbit from within his top hat where there had been proven that nothing was there before!" He leans in and whispers (loudly) "I suspect these were feats of sleight of hand, but one must suspend disbelief sometimes to enjoy lighthearted diversions!" He laughs, then resumes his normal volume. "No, madam, I have no gift for such parlor tricks. I find them rather useless when the time comes to...stand and deliver, you might say." With this, he pats at the hilt of the vibrosword on his belt.
Bartholomew J. Willoughby
Bartholomew J. Willoughby
Pace: 12; Parry: 7
Toughness: 14 (5); Size 1 (Normal)
Pertinent Edges: Brute, Dirty Fighter, Nerves of Steel, Quick, Split the Seconds, Sublime Chaos, Tricky Fighter <Off The Handle, Iron Jaw - TW MOM edges>
Current Status Post
User avatar
MJH
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: The Meeting

Post by MJH »

A man of average height and build walks into the briefing room. He seems to fidget with his armor and makes a move to push his hair out of face. Close inspection reveals the gesture was just to mask him putting his hands on his face looking almost like he was checking to see if it was still there.

"Hello. My name is Morley. I apologize for being late...shut up! I know!..err..yeah, I am uh well..reporting for duty.."

Before the man has a chance to finish, his seemingly mundane Plastic Man armor melts and shifts into deep purple bio-organic exoskeleton that retracts and expands as if it is made of liquid. The fluorescent lights of the briefing room reflect back an alien green when the shell does manage to solidify in places. All of a sudden a snake-like tentacle with a slavering toothy maw erupts from the chestplate of the armor and writhes with a life of its own.

"Dotes you dolt! Tell them who WE are. We are Talon! Devourer...

"ENOUGH!"


The tentacle retracts and the exoskeleton shifts back into Plastic Man armor.

"Yeah, about that...don't worry. Talon is just excited to meet you all. Nothing to worry about, anyway..uh..nice weather we are having, huh?"
User avatar
Ahab
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 22, 2024 2:11 pm

Re: The Meeting

Post by Ahab »

MJH wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:32 am Before the man has a chance to finish, his seemingly mundane Plastic Man armor melts and shifts into deep purple bio-organic exoskeleton that retracts and expands as if it is made of liquid. The fluorescent lights of the briefing room reflect back an alien green when the shell does manage to solidify in places. All of a sudden a snake-like tentacle with a slavering toothy maw erupts from the chestplate of the armor and writhes with a life of its own.
Ahab has taken a step back and raised his vibro-harpoon over his head, as if to throw it. With a sudden inhale of breath through one nostril he
Notice 1d8: [8] = 8 Wild Die 1d8: [6] = 6 oops that should have been a d6 but doesn't matter since the main die was a raise.
Sense Supernatural Evil: May use Notice to detect the presence and location of supernatural beings or items, and with a raise know if it's evil or not. They can track beings and items using the Survival skill.
and reacts to Morley's sudden transformation. His limbs are tensed and quivering with the trademark tremors of adrenaline.

Atlantean or Greek for not evil
he mutters under his breath as he presses the stud on the harpoon. The gradual run down of a high pitched whine the only indication that the harpoon is no longer powered. As he regains his composure, he raises his voice slightly, grumbling, "non malum."

Ahab now leans upon his harpoon lazily, once again using it like a walking stick, but the muscle twitches in his arms betray the come-down of the flight or fight reflex.
User avatar
Bart Willoughby
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:07 pm

Re: The Meeting

Post by Bart Willoughby »

Bart takes a half-jump step back as the tentacle bursts forth from Morley's chest. As soon as it returns to its dwelling place, Bart relaxes slightly, though his hand still rests on the hilt of his sword. "Good sir, I daresay that one should not permit their pet cobra to accompany them to such a formal engagement...even if it is well and truly domesticated." His eyebrow arches slightly. "And can one ever truly domesticate such a creature?" Nodding slightly but never taking his eyes off of Morley, he offers greeting. "I am Bartholomew Willoughby, at your service, sir. For the reassurance of the fairer sex -" he gestures towards @Mahala "- may I encourage you to better secure your serpent in the future?"
Bartholomew J. Willoughby
Bartholomew J. Willoughby
Pace: 12; Parry: 7
Toughness: 14 (5); Size 1 (Normal)
Pertinent Edges: Brute, Dirty Fighter, Nerves of Steel, Quick, Split the Seconds, Sublime Chaos, Tricky Fighter <Off The Handle, Iron Jaw - TW MOM edges>
Current Status Post
User avatar
Mahala
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 27, 2024 9:02 am

Re: The Meeting

Post by Mahala »

“Mahala of Dweomer.” Came the reply to the orc as if just realising now that she hadn’t yet introduced herself to the others. Seeming to have stunned Elle with her barrage of questions as the woman across from them seemed to be mentally working at processing an appropriate set of responses. Though the follow up to the polite conversation is interrupted somewhat by the introduction of Morley and the inadvertent scene he had created.

Resting a hand on her hip, Mahala pursed her lips and observed the strange parasite that had introduced itself at the same time as the newcomer. Seeming to carry that same impassive expression on her face as Ahab and Bart made their comments on the odd situation. A moment later, her husky voice would then be heard with its own small quip.

“I’ve seen bigger.” Came a somewhat dismissive form of judgement when addressing Barts concerns over the D’Norrs delicate sensibilities. Though perhaps her choice of words could have been better given the situation. “I trust that your… Situation… Is relatively under control, else I am certain you would not be called here for this task, correct?” Came her follow up inquiry to Morley. “At the very least, Ahab seems to have given you a pass, as far as I can tell anyway.”
Mahala

Bennies: 3/3
Wounds: 0/3
Fatigue: 0/2
Conviction: 0
Parry: 5 Toughness: 12 (5)
PPE: 25/25
Mystic Staff PPE: 10/10
Ninth Eye PPE: 5/5


User avatar
MJH
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: The Meeting

Post by MJH »

Morley gives a nervous chuckle, he is clearly relieved that the situation did not escalate.

"Talyn knows his place. Just excited to meet new people and all. Nothing to worry about..well...'cept his eating habits. That takes a bit getting used to."
User avatar
Turbo
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:25 pm

Re: The Meeting

Post by Turbo »

A tall man walks in, wearing a leather jacket that almost conceals the system of pumps and tubes that feed his juicer system. He leisurely walks over to a chair and takes a seat with his legs spread wide apart. His elbows rest on his knees, giving him an exaggerated forward lean. The gray hairs and wrinkles around his eyes aren't the only clue that this may be the oldest juicer you have ever seen.

His eyes move from face to face as each person in the room talks, though his expression does not change to give any sign that he cares much about the content of the conversation. Occasionally, a grunt or murmur seems to escape his lips.

This continues until the tentacle emerges from Morley’s chest and speaks . In a flash, this man switches from casual observer to a combat ready machine. He jumps to his feet as one hand reaches for his sidearm. The move sends his chair over backwards with a crash. His eyes dilate as he re-assesses the room and his companions.

Based on the reactions of everyone around, he realizes that the creature is not an imminent threat. While his face calms somewhat, he does not sit back down. Instead he moves cautiously to the side of the room opposite the door and leans against it.

“Right. My name, or rather my callsign, is Turbo. If you hadn’t guessed, I’m a juicer. My training is mostly in driving. I’m guessing this job isn’t local?” he says, turning to Elle of Owls at the end.
User avatar
John Carter
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:27 pm

Re: The Meeting

Post by John Carter »

John can’t help but be confused when Bartholomew seems skeptical about magic when talking to Mahala. The guy’s an orc, for crying out loud. You’d think if anyone would be familiar with magic it would be some guy straight out of a fantasy movie. John had only been on the planet a short time and even he knew magic is actually a thing and not just mislabeled psionics or superhuman powers. Between his disbelief in magic and his choice of attire, John has to conclude something strange is going on with the orc.

John’s attention is drawn from Willoughby’s weirdness by new arrivals. The first is a guy who has tech visible underneath his jacket that he recognizes as part of a Juicer’s rig. Back in orbit they and Crazies are mostly a Yuro Station thing, but John has been in enough joint operations with European Conglomerate forces to recognize their super soldiers. The tech downside is slightly less advanced than home but he could still identify it on sight. The guy using it is definitely older than the average Juicer he’s met but maybe things are different on Earth.

The second arrival, who introduces himself as Morley, seems normal. That is until his armor suddenly morphs into some sort of creature that looks inspired by Giger. It takes all of John’s self control to keep himself from reflexively going intangible and revealing to his new colleagues his status as a mutant. From what he’s managed to pick up so far since his arrival, while psionics is relatively common, other superhuman powers are apparently non-existent in the human population. Or at the least very, very rare. He definitely hasn’t heard of any, which is why he had been keeping his own abilities as a Phantom under wraps.

After Arab apparently clears hm as a threat and the others agree with his assessment, John relaxes a little. He doesn’t entirely let his guard down but he’s no longer on edge at least.
MJH wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:02 pm Morley gives a nervous chuckle, he is clearly relieved that the situation did not escalate.

"Talyn knows his place. Just excited to meet new people and all. Nothing to worry about..well...'cept his eating habits. That takes a bit getting used to."
“Just what exactly does he eat? John asks with bemused curiosity. “And how much does he need?”

The other arrival, the Juicer, also seems to relax once the situation with Morley’s pet(?).calms down. Even deigns to actually introduce himself.
Turbo wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:22 pm “Right. My name, or rather my callsign, is Turbo. If you hadn’t guessed, I’m a juicer. My training is mostly in driving. I’m guessing this job isn’t local?” he says, turning to Elle of Owls at the end.
“Nice to meet you, Turbo. Name’s John. John Carter. I’m good at fixing things. And unfixing things. Also not bad at avoiding being noticed when necessary.”
John Carter
John Carter

Bennies: 3/3 ISP: 20/20 Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue: 0/3 Conviction: 0
User avatar
Bart Willoughby
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:07 pm

Re: The Meeting

Post by Bart Willoughby »

Bartholomew smiles knowingly at @John Carter. "Ah, subterfuge and skulduggery, when artfully applied swashbuckling and gunnery are the lesser-favored paths. I, too, have some gift with the craft, though mayhap your own skills outstrip my own. Something in my blood yearns for direct action, but one must rely on one's wits to ascertain when to apply cunning and when to apply the cudgel." He takes a massive, deep breath, then exhales slowly. "To action soon, then, shall we?"
Bartholomew J. Willoughby
Bartholomew J. Willoughby
Pace: 12; Parry: 7
Toughness: 14 (5); Size 1 (Normal)
Pertinent Edges: Brute, Dirty Fighter, Nerves of Steel, Quick, Split the Seconds, Sublime Chaos, Tricky Fighter <Off The Handle, Iron Jaw - TW MOM edges>
Current Status Post
Post Reply

Return to “Adventures”