4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Park!

Adventures of the Legion's 32nd Special Exploratory Team.
Locked
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Park!

Post by Pursuit » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:59 am

Heading to the Compound: Either all or part of the party heads to the Opry Compound, in keeping with the Legion's orders.

You see that the Opry Compound is huge, its reinforced buildings and manicured grounds stretching on for acres. Built on the bones of a pre-Rifts structure, the Compound is a unique mixture of beautiful, green landscaping and functional MDC fortifications.
Compound Exterior
Opry Compound Exterior.png
[/attachment]
Similar to this, but many stories higher and with more mercs and fortifications.
Armed mercenaries eye you suspiciously as you near the gate. A tall humanoid in a distinctive, insect-like helmet and wearing a wicked looking sword strapped to his back approaches you and says, "I expected you days ago. Enjoying the sites, were you? Come on."

He turns and leads any who follow into the largest building, giving a nod to the guards and waving you onward.

"I am Guisce. Veritas has been waiting for you since he heard you were in the city. Had you delayed another day, he would have been gone."
Meet Guisce
Battle Magus.JPG
Not much for conversation, Guisce does not offer any further words as you walk along, waving off any questions with a grunt or an "Ask Veritas." The inside of the Opry Coumpound is as extravagant as the outside. A small stream runs through the center of the building's courtyard, which is massive and stretches on for hundreds of yards before curving out of your sight. The courtyard is several stories high, and you can see windows from thousands of rooms that open onto the courtyard, many of which have balconies decorated with opulent-looking furniture.
Inside
Opry Compound Interior.jpg
[/attachment]
Basically this, but Riftier.
And everywhere, you see people. Many walk along the stream, chatting. Merchants of all kinds line the courtyard, and patrons of every shape and size wander from stall to stall, filling up bags and baskets with various luxuries. Many of you may feel out of place when you see the quality of clothing worn by the people around you, and the overall message of the Opry Compound is unmistakable: this is a place for the rich and the elite.

Armed guards are sprinkled throughout the crowd and at strategic points, but their presence is more subtle than it was outside. Guisce does not seem at ease, however, and though you cannot see his face behind his mask, his body language makes it clear that he is tense. Occasionally, one or more of the mercenaries will begin to head toward your group, only to realize who your guide is and back away. As you go further into the compound, you notice a growing number of armed men and women who "just happen" to be traveling casually in the same direction as the party.

After a time, he leads you across a wooden bridge to the other side of the stream, and then down a side hallway to a concealed bank of elevators. "Inside, quickly," Guisce commands. Once you are all in, he punches a button and inserts a keycard into the elevator panel, and the doors whir shut. The elevator is silent as you all travel up, and it is impossible to tell how many floors you go before it comes to a stop.

"Wait a moment," Guisce tells you when the doors open again, before disappearing down the hall. It takes only a few tense minutes before he returns, this time with his blade drawn. "Quickly, we must go now!"

He takes off at a run, not so fast that you can't keep up, but not slow enough that you can walk, either. You pass the corpses of a Grackle Tooth and a D'norr in the hall on your way, their bodies showing deep lacerations and electrical burns. You also see the severed hand and forearm of a human, but no body.

Guisce ushers you into suite and locks the door behind you. "Veritas! Door!" he calls, and you hear a word of power spoken from the other room. A glowing yellow barrier appears over the door and extends along the entire wall of the room.

Once the glowing force field is in place, Guisce moves to stand near the window, which (naturally) has its shades drawn. "The window?" he asks the still unseen occupant.

A portly man with a jovial face rounds the corner in a wheelchair and gives you all a wide smile. "Ah, the legionnaires I was told to expect. So glad you made it, friends! Hm? Oh, what's that Guisce? Yes, yes, the window is quite fine. They cannot see us in here, and it would take a Colossus to force their way into this room. Honestly, you can relax for five minutes, or the stress is going to kill you."

Guisce gives a "harrumph" from behind his mask and takes up a position behind the man in the wheelchair, who continues, "I am Veritas, as I am sure you no doubt have already surmised. You have already met Guisce who, despite his rather grumpy demeanor, is a rather nice fellow. You will have to excuse him; being my bodyguard has become a lot more complicated with all of these "True Federation" people running about the city, and we are very nearly out of time here in Nashville. Which is a shame, because the music district is one of the best I have seen, and I have seen many."
What Does Veritas Look Like
It is harder to find a picture of a portly mage sitting down than you would think, let alone one in a wheelchair. A Benny to anyone who can find me a good image to use for Veritas!
"In any event, I am told you need transportation to the Dinosaur Swamp. Normally, that would be no problem whatsoever; there are ley lines and rifts all over that territory, and hopping down the coast is as easy as popping out for tea. Lately, though, the lines down there have been acting rather odd. It is difficult to explain, but the closest thing I can think of is the way the air feels right before a powerful thunderstorm: you can almost feel the electricity on your skin. Well every line in the southern portion of the Dinosaur Swamp feels like that these days, and storms are more frequent than they should be. At least, they are much more frequent than they have been. As a side effect, travel is a bit more inaccurate than I would like... well, a lot more inaccurate, if I am being honest."

He holds up his hands in a placating gesture, "Now, don't mistake me. I can certainly get you to the Swamp, no problem. I just cannot guarantee where in the Swamp you will arrive, and as you no doubt know, it is a bit of a treacherous place. You must be on your guard."

Indicating his bodyguard, he continues, "Guisce informs me that there was just an attempt on one or more of your lives, though it is possible the bounty hunters he encountered in the hallway were looking for me. That seems unlikely, given their relatively low power levels, but one can never be sure. People do strange things for money, after all! In any case, I'm afraid I can't stay here very much longer. If you are ready to go, we can leave presently. I understand you have some transportation parked outside of town, which we can certainly go pick up first. Wouldn't want to drop you in a bog with nothing but your boots and the clothes on your back!"

What's Next?

Feel free to ask any questions your character may have and role play a bit here. Veritas will be happy to port you to your vehicles and then open a Rift for all of you down to the Swamp. If you would rather take a different path to the Swamp, you are more than welcome to do that, too.

If something in the above narrative jumps out at you and you think "no way would my character have gone along with that!", feel free to describe what he or she did instead in your post. As long as at least one of you gets to meet with Veritas, the story holds up just fine.

Once the party has made up its mind, we will move the story forward to the next locale.

User avatar
Jareb
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Jareb » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:49 pm

At the sight of the bodies Jareb quickly brings his famed sword, the blade of St. Cathrine to bear. His little charge sleeps peacefully. Jareb nods a brief thanks to Conrad and his eyes betray his thoughts, Well made Conrad, light durable. Gift seems to enjoy the auto milk dispenser. It houses my mighty blade and did not disturb her sleep the slightest. My thanks indeed. " Eyes open, fate and the heavans decree foul play is at hand. Take a quick look at the bodies, does anyone know them?" Jareb pokes the severed hand and looks at the electically burnt ones. He rifles through their belongings if any. Solemnly he whispers, " For good or ill let their souls pass on."
Notice 1d8 = 7: 7 wild 1d6 = 4: 4
At the meeting he takes what the portly man says very seriously, Jareb shakes his head " If it is the federation, I may have tipped our presence. So many people needed help or a smile in Nashville... Even Norona helped me with an impromptu magic show." Jareb looks at the group and gives his assesment, "Our mission to the swamp, is vague at best. Trouble and cultists... I would estimate porting to its edge if it has one, especially a town no matter how big or small along its boarders would be best. Local intel no matter how it is offered can lead us in the right direction. Has anyone spent much time out in these parts?" Gift opens her eyes nestled in her pack and begins so make slight rasberries at Veritas.
Jareb Combat data
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d8 (d10), Vigor d8, -2 to be hit from range via improved dodge.
Charisma: 0; Pace: 4; Parry: 8 ; Toughness: 16(10); Strain: 0,PPE:20/9
-8 for Warriors Gift 3 rounds, impr Dodge and Imprv Trade markweapon
-1 to activate BFB
Combat edges:
  • Quick- redraw on 5 or less
    Elan
Command edges:
  • Command: +1 to unshake in command radius
    Hold the line: +1 toughness to troops under their command
    Natural Leader: Can share bennies with those under his command,
Active Powers and other bonuses: Improved Trademark Weapon (St Cathrine’s Blade), Improved Dodge (-2 to hit from Range)
[/list]
Bennies
4/3
+1 lucky
+1 high post rate
+1 good RP
+3 hindrences and crit fail
-3 bennies for brodkill fight
-1 Benny for sharing with Ty
-1 Benny Brodkill quick combat
+1 GM help
-1 amazing repair

User avatar
Norona
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:41 pm

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Norona » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:53 am

Moving through the massive indoor structure unnerves Norona quite a bit. It is a facsimile of the outside, but a facsimile nonetheless. The whole place feels unnatural and lastic. Despite his best efforts to remain clam he cant help a small twinge of apprehension in the pit of his stomach. When they get to the elevator the half elf gives his head a small shake, all of them jammed into such a small space is unfortunate...especially since at least one of the group appears to need a bath. Wrinkling his nose he passes the ride up stoically, and grunts slightly when their escort asks them to remain in the vertically travelling coffin for a few minutes longer. I have been trapped in caves smaller than this, but at least there I am surrounded by the earth. No spirits live here.

In the hallway the bodies are immediate apparent. Rather than casually pass them by he takes a moment to glean any information about their origins. Checking their packs and utility belts for clues about their identity and origins. After a brief investigation he stands and shakes his head, What a horrible place to die.
Notice
1d8 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 3: 3
The mystically protected door to Veritas' chambers is impressive. So too the magics on the darkened windows. This truly is a magic user of some power. That, at least, bodes well for their journey. Unfortunately, his reports of the troubles on the ley lines in the swamps is not promising, and the risks of travelling there by portal are not lost on Norona. Having spent a large part of his time on earth researching the ley lines, dimensions, and a way back home, Norona knows that increasing storms and violent activity is often bad news.

"We have heard other reports of strange activity in the swamps. No doubt these phenomena and our mission are connected. While the risk of been sent to an unknown location is dangerous, it would seem time is of the essence. A portal may be best." At Jareb's suggestion of landing on the fringe, Norona shrugs, "We may wish to attempt such precision, but I fear we may land far from our intended destination."

He pauses a moment to consider the source of the disruptions. Oddly, Veritas had posited no theories as to what might be causing them.
Knowledge Arcana 12
1d8+2 = 9: 7
1d6 = 6: 6[
Ace 1d6 = 4: 4
+2 = 12
Character Information
Norona, Wilderness Scout
Armored Stats: Pace: 11, Toughness 10 (4)
PPE: 40/20

Bennies: 5

User avatar
Sierra Mackenzie
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Sierra Mackenzie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:53 am

Notice 5
Notice 1d6 = 5: 5
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
***

Sierra gave a low whistle as they passed through first the grounds and then the interior of the Opry Compound. “Damn, someone’s got some credits!” she said. “Would be a shame if this place burned down…”

Sierra caught out of her peripheral vision people following them. “I don’t know about this…” she murmured.

Then their guide was urging them to hurry into the elevator, and then they were running down a hallway strewn with hacked up corpses.

“What the burning hells?” Sierra gaped.

And then they were safe inside a room with a fat man in a wheelchair.

“Wait, are you saying those dead D-Bees outside were trying to kill us? she asked. “Why? And how do they know we’re here?” She paused. Okay, maybe standing drunk on a bar and yelling Legion cheers and “Death to the Feds!” wasn’t such a good idea.

“I’ve never been to a swamp. This is as far from Whykin as I’ve ever been, so I can’t really help you all out there. Bad enough we’re going to a swamp!” At least she had some good, sturdy Legion boots. They were fairly fashionable even.

Sierra sidled up to Norona and hip bumped him. “Hey, elfie,” she said quietly. “You okay? Looking a bit pale. Not going to upchuck all over Professor X here, are you?”

***
Conditions
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
ISP: 20/20
Bennies: 3/3
Adventure Card
  • Speedy Gonzales: Expend this card to gain +2 to your Pace for the rest of the scene.
Everything Burns
1d10 = 2: 2
3-10: Anything highly flammable burns.
6-10: Anything flammable burns.
8-9: Water boils away over 2d6 = 5: 1, 4 rounds.
10: Anything not flammable burns or melts (metal, stone, ceramic, etc) and water superheats and evaporates immediately.
Gear
Sierra’s pack is in the car.
Conditions
Sierra Character Sheet
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
Liquid Courage: Vigor d10, Toughness: 8, ignore 1 point of Wounds (1 hour)
ISP: 5/20
Bennies: 1/3
Adventure Card
  • Mechanical Malfunction: A device malfunctions in some way: guns jam, bow strings break, etc. The device can be fixed by a Repair roll at -4 and 10 minutes work.


Everything Burns
[dice]1d10[/dice]
3-10: Anything highly flammable burns.
6-10: Anything flammable burns.
8-9: Water boils away over [dice]2d6[/dice] rounds.
10: Anything not flammable burns or melts (metal, stone, ceramic, etc) and water superheats and evaporates immediately.
Gear
Sierra’s pack is in the car.

User avatar
Deezy Klatta
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Deezy Klatta » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:10 pm

"Whoa. We've got ASSASSINS coming after us!" Deezy enthused excitedly. "US! That's practically being a celebrity! That means the Federation of Magic or someone PAID other people to try to KILL us! I wonder if they know about those cults... Or maybe there isn't even cults and it's the Federation behind all of it and they're just making people THINK there's a cult! Trickery!"

She paced away, then stopped and declared, "Ley line surges are really dangerous to try to rift into, but it really does seem like it could save us a lot of time. As long as it doesn't twist the exit and put us in another universe or in the sun or in the middle of Chi-Town!" Deezy broke into giggles at that. "Like...in the main plaza there...with the shops...statue...ehehehee, okay. No, serious business, RIGHT!"

"We definitely need our trucks and our stuff. Absolutely definitely. We should also maybe plan on leaving right in the morning, to get as much light as we can. You know, assuming we don't jump back in time or back to the future or something!"

Deezy laughed again, wiping her eyes. "Ahh, sorry. I'm just really stoked about the assassin thing."

Notice 1d6 = 5: 5 or 1d6 = 3: 3
OOC Comments
Player Name: Salmon Max
Google Handle: samminmax@gmail.com

Character Name: [urk=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php ... =167#p1803]Dorothy Zane “DZ” Klatta[/url]
Rank:Novice Experience: 10 (7/30/17) Advances Left: 0
Race: Human
Iconic Framework: Techno-Wizard
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Charisma: -1; Pace: 6; Parry: 4; Toughness: 12 (6); PPE: 20
Skills:
Knowledge: Arcana d10
Knowledge: Engineering d10 (+1)
Knowledge: Science d6
Knowledge: Electronics d10 (+1)
Repair d10 (+2 Edge, +4 armor (inc TW bonus))
Investigate d6 (+2)
Techno-Wizardry d10
Fighting
Notice
Shooting d6 (+3 w/revolver)

Hindrances
Overconfident (Major): Never give up...NEVER SURRENDER!
Greedy (Minor): Building something like this is going to take a load of bread to capitalize...where’m I gonna get the money?!
Habit (Minor): Too hyperactive!

Edges
Edge: Master of Magic (mega-magic ENGAGE)
Edge: Extra PPE (+5 PPE)
Edge: Mr Fixit (+2 Repair, halve time required on raise)
Edge: Investigator (+2 to Investigate, Streetwise, and Notice to sort through evidence)
Edge: Improved Recharge (recover 1 PPE/.5 hour)

Gizmos (spells):
AEGIS (Active ElectroGravitational Interception System)
Armor (2PPE, +2 armor/+4 on raise, duration 3 (+1/rnd), touch)
Greater Armor (5PPE, +5 MDC armor/+10 on raise, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Omniblaster
Bolt (1PPE/2d6 missile (up to 3), 2PPE/3d6 missile, 12/24/48)
Onslaught (2PPE/3d6MD missile (up to 4), 4PPE/6d6MD missile, 18/36/72)

TIAMAT (Thaumic Imaging And Magical Ambiance Testing)
Detect/Conceal Arcana (2PPE, sense supernatural creatures, objects or effects)
Exalted Detect/Conceal Arcana (4PPE, gain more info, 2PPE to analyze creature)

ROCKET BOOTS (No acronym; just rockets in boots)
Flight (3PPE, fly at Pace; 6PPE, 2x Pace, duration 3 (+1/rnd), touch)
Swift Flight (8PPE, 4x Pace and -1 to be hit; 10PPE 8x Pace and -2 to be hit, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Gear
Triax T-13 Field Mechanic
Armor 6, +1 Toughness, Full environment, 18lbs
Laser Torch, 3d6MD, RoF 1, AP 3, 4/8/16
Extensible Manipulator: Reach 1, Str 1d6, 1d6+1d4 dmg in melee w/laser finger
Optical Enhancements; 10x mag, thermal vision, spectrographic scanner, +2 Repair
10 mile communication, nightvision, loudspeaker, laser rangefinder


TW Revolver
2d6+2 dmg, RoF 1, AP 4, 6 shots, 12/24/48
+1 Shooting skill (Minor TW Augmentation)
2PPE to charge, 2PPE to make Mega-damage


TechnoWizard Specialized Toolkit
I use it for techno things that also involve wizardry.

NG-S2 Survival Pack
2 person tent, +20% water supplies
Sleeping bag
Flashlight w/knife; solar
Inertial compass (+2 to Survival to navigate)
Short range (5 mile) radio
First aid kit (+1 to healing; 3 uses)
Hunting/Fishing kit (+1 to Survival to forage)
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
Survival Knife, hatchet, wooden cross
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations


Credits: 2000

User avatar
Kuikku
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:20 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Kuikku » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:41 am

Notice
Notice = 1d8 = 8: 8
Ace = 1d8 = 6: 6
Wild = 1d6 = 3: 3
Total = 14
Walking up to the Opry Compound Kuikku is impressed by the effort that has gone into recreating the opulence of the past. He only hopes that more than the rich and powerful are benefiting. When Guisce introduces himself Kuikku start to respond but realizes that the escort has no interest in really getting any answers.

As the group passes into the courtyard Kuikku notes the presence of the guards and mentally commends them on their discretion. However, as more and more of the armed start “drifting” behind him and his companions he picks up on Guisce's nervousness. Deciding discretion may be nice but armor is nicer Kuikku quietly activates his Cyber-Armor and starts keeping a closer eye on his surroundings.

When Guisce leaves them in the elevator Kuikku's nerves ratchet up even higher and he reflexively activates his Cyber-Sword. When told to move quickly he stifles a laugh and follows their guide. Seeing the bodies his respect for their guide slides up a notch but he continues following without slowing down.

When they are all rushed into the suite Kuikku makes a quick scan but sees nothing to worry about. Seeing the energy field covering the front wall Kuikku starts to relax again and lets his sword vanish and his armor fade.
A portly man with a jovial face rounds the corner in a wheelchair and gives you all a wide smile... "I am Veritas, as I am sure you no doubt have already surmised.”
Kuikku nods in greeting and remains silent as Veritas explains the situation and the problems. As Jareb admits to his possible connection Kuikku starts shaking his head. ”Do not take all the blame. None of us have been very discreet, I did throw a street party. I also heard of a rather interesting bar fight where a black man beat the tar out of several armed men with his bare hands, and at least one instance of standing on a table and singing.” Kuikku very pointedly does not look at anyone else as he says all this.

As Deezy starts getting excited about almost being killed Kuikku again shakes his head. Some people get really excited over the strangest things. Turning back to Veritas Kuikku shrugs, ”I believe we all understand the possible hazards but that only emphasizes our need to get there quickly. Even with the potential of ending up some place, or even some when, else, I think the risk is worth the reward. We will definitely need our vehicles and some of our gear was not permitted into the city as well.” Looking at each of his companions he continues, ”Unless there is some pressing need I think it may be best for us to be on our way. Even with only about half a day's light left we should still be able to establish where we end up and start our investigation.”
Last edited by Kuikku on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Character
Kuikku
Parry: 7
Toughness: 14(6)
Toughness with Cyber-Armor active: 20(8) MDC

User avatar
Norona
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:41 pm

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Norona » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:34 am

Sierra Mackenzie wrote:Sierra sidled up to Norona and hip bumped him. “Hey, elfie,” she said quietly. “You okay? Looking a bit pale. Not going to upchuck all over Professor X here, are you?”
Norona regards Sierra with a straight face, and an extremely dry tone "It is true, we are a fairer species than yours. However, I should be able to hold down my lunch at your sight." Its hard to tell for sure if the woodsman gave a wink or not. Maybe, for the briefest of seconds, but maybe not.
Character Information
Norona, Wilderness Scout
Armored Stats: Pace: 11, Toughness 10 (4)
PPE: 40/20

Bennies: 5

User avatar
Conrad
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:01 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Conrad » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:47 am

Notice 3
OOC Comments
1d8 = 3: 3
1d6 = 2: 2
As they arrived at the compound, Conrad was both intrigued and disgusted by the place. Nashville wasn’t the worst place he’d seen, but it was a far cry from Tolkeen. This place however, he knew they looked completely out of place in it and it in Nashville. Conrad kept quiet as they made their way through, keeping a close eye on things. They weren’t going into combat, so he only wore his huntsman armour and carried a batch of pistols around his body as normal.
He asks Guisce about the people here, but when he gets rebuffed, he lets the matter lie.

When they see the bodies, Conrad reacts, ready for combat.

“What the frak?” Conrad had two of his pistols out just in case, covering the rear of the group as they pass. “What happened to them?”

As they arrive in Veritas’ rooms, Conrad does his own sweep, checking for bugs and looking out the window.
“Who knew we were meeting you?”

Listening to the others, he realises that a lot of things could have led to this attack, but still nothing on the reasons why.

“Well, I guess none of us were subtle, but then we didn’t expect anybody was after us."

As Veritas explains the dangers, Conrad ponders the situation. Getting out of Dodge was a good thing, but he wondered if anybody else would suffer for their actions. if they leave, hopefully that would draw attention away. Deezy's excitement about danger made him raise an eyebrow or at least it would have done if he had any.

“I’m not a mage, but can you get us close to the swamp and let us go the rest of the way. From the sounds of it, we could end up separated in the Swamps and that won’t go well. Might also be able to avoid more entanglements here.”
OOC Comments
What does Conrad know about the area in terms of history
Knowledge history 1d8 = 6: 6
Wild dice 1d6 = 2: 2

Playing adventure card
Renown "Play after completing a good deed
of some import. You gain a
permanent +1 Charisma bonus
toward those who have heard of
you (typically a 50% chance)."

User avatar
Sierra Mackenzie
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Sierra Mackenzie » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:23 pm

Notice 7
Notice 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6+6 = 7: 1
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
***

Sierra grinned, catching Norona’s wink. “Hey, no need to be jealous,” she teased the elf. “If you do start launching projectile vomit, at least turn away from me. Connie there is a big target.”

Sierra wandered over to a window, half listening. After all, the others were smarter like that. She would just do what she was told. She was easily distracted.

“Why would anyone want us dead anyway?” Sierra wondered. “All we did was kill a bunch of vampires.”

***
Conditions
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
ISP: 20/20
Bennies: 3/3
Adventure Card
  • Speedy Gonzales: Expend this card to gain +2 to your Pace for the rest of the scene.
Everything Burns
1d10 = 10: 10
3-10: Anything highly flammable burns.
6-10: Anything flammable burns.
8-9: Water boils away over 2d6 = 4: 2, 2 rounds.
10: Anything not flammable burns or melts (metal, stone, ceramic, etc) and water superheats and evaporates immediately.
Gear
Sierra’s pack is in the car.
Conditions
Sierra Character Sheet
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
Liquid Courage: Vigor d10, Toughness: 8, ignore 1 point of Wounds (1 hour)
ISP: 5/20
Bennies: 1/3
Adventure Card
  • Mechanical Malfunction: A device malfunctions in some way: guns jam, bow strings break, etc. The device can be fixed by a Repair roll at -4 and 10 minutes work.


Everything Burns
[dice]1d10[/dice]
3-10: Anything highly flammable burns.
6-10: Anything flammable burns.
8-9: Water boils away over [dice]2d6[/dice] rounds.
10: Anything not flammable burns or melts (metal, stone, ceramic, etc) and water superheats and evaporates immediately.
Gear
Sierra’s pack is in the car.

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Pursuit » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:09 pm

In the Hall:

Jareb and Norona make a quick search of the mercenaries body is in the hallway. They don't find anything that would help them identify their would be assailants, but Jereb does find an Ice Blast Shotgun on the body of the D'Norr.

The Grackle appeared to be holding two vibro-swords, but both are sheared in half, and what armor they were wearing was ruined by sword slashes and energy burns.

In the Room:

Norona is curious as to why the lines would be behaving in the way that Veritas describes. Searching his memory of the arcane for any potential explanation, he remembers the stories of the coming of the Rifts and the Great Cataclysm. There are plenty of conflicting reports about that time, but one constant is that the sudden and massive loss of life worldwide caused the lines to overload and behave erratically. He didn't hear of anything like a nuclear strike or other massive disaster in his research, and neither did Jareb, but the similarity to the ley lines at the coming of the Rifts makes him uneasy nonetheless.
Sierra Mackenzie wrote:
“Wait, are you saying those dead D-Bees outside were trying to kill us? she asked. “Why? And how do they know we’re here?” She paused. Okay, maybe standing drunk on a bar and yelling Legion cheers and “Death to the Feds!” wasn’t such a good idea.
Veritas gives a belly laugh when he hears Sierra. "No, perhaps declaring 'Death to the Federation' was not the best idea. It is amusing, though."
Conrad wrote:
As they arrive in Veritas’ rooms, Conrad does his own sweep, checking for bugs and looking out the window.
“Who knew we were meeting you?”

Listening to the others, he realises that a lot of things could have led to this attack, but still nothing on the reasons why.

“Well, I guess none of us were subtle, but then we didn’t expect anybody was after us."
Veritas ponders a moment and then shakes his head. "I did not tell anyone about our meeting, but it is no secret that I am a friend to the Legion, and as you say, your compatriots were a bit obvious about your presence here. That said, it would take a great deal of influence to get assassins past the guards in here, even lightly armed ones, which should concern all of you."

Seeing the indecision among the group, he gives a small shake of his head. "My briefing tells me that Sir Kuikku is your group's sergeant," he gives the Cyber-Knight a nod, "and leaving quickly seems a good idea to me. You may want to brace yourselves; I am told teleportation can be a bit unsettling to those unused to it."

With no more warning than that, your vision goes suddenly white (as though you had suddenly looked into a bright light), your ears pop with sudden pressure, and then you feel a breeze on your skin.

Vehicle Lot:
You find yourselves outside, standing in the lot next to your vehicles and any party members you left to guard them.

Veritas gives you the time to load up and grab your gear before giving a wave. "Let's get you all on the move."

The air splits in front of you, powered by one of the litany of ley lines cris-crossing the sky, and you see a swampy landscape peeking through beyond a Rift easily large enough to drive your vehicles through. With a flourish, Veritas grins and calls out "All aboard!"

Into the Breach:

As the party crosses through the rift, you are immediately impressed with how hot it is on the other side. The temperature jumps into the 90s Fahrenheit, and the humidity to nearly 100%. Mosquitoes travel in flocks here, and the water rises to mid-calf pretty much everywhere you step. Though the sun is shining brightly overhead, your visibility is severely limited by the shadows of the trees and by the thick vegetation. You can see a few hundred feet in any given direction from the ground, but that's about it. From
somewhere in the distance, you hear a great roar, and there is little doubt that you have at long last arrived in the Dinosaur Swamp!

What's Next:

Welcome to the Dinosaur Swamp! Be careful, it's not just the thunder lizards you need to watch out for in these parts.
  • Thanks to the water all around, most of the swamp counts as difficult ground (each 1" of swamp counts as 2" of movement; driving through difficult ground imposes a -2 on Driving rolls and driving at more than half the vehicle's top speed requires a Driving roll every round), including the spot where you are all standing.
  • The swamp is hot , so be prepared to drink lots of water (if your character is vulnerable to heat, that is). It might be advisable to familiarize yourselves with the Heat Hazards rule in SWD (on page 88 of the PDF I have, but YMMV). Remember, armor with Full Environmental Protection is great for this kind of thing, but if you wear it 24/7 you will need to make Vigor rolls against soreness and discomfort eventually or face Bumps and Bruises. If your armor is dependent on magic for its power, remember that you have to have it turned on (and drawing from your character's power points) to get the environmental protection effect.
  • You can search for more solid, dry ground with Survival rolls for things like making camp or traversing particularly wet areas (some places will be completely impassable by ground travel). Depending on your surroundings, this will be done at between -2 and -6.
  • Getting and staying dry between ventures through the water will also be important. There is nothing like hiking on soggy feet to really bring home the idea of "fatigue."
  • Remember, most of you began play with a Northern Gun survival pack, which includes some useful items for making your way through the swampy wilds.
  • As discussed, the swamp is covered in ley lines and nexus points. I will roll before each encounter to see if a line or nexus is nearby. Where you start out has a small ley line running over it. Attempts to draw energy from the lines are made at -2 because of the wild fluctuations of energy in the region.
Attachments
FBAF9C96-D3DE-49D0-B936-764569BFBA50.jpeg

User avatar
Tyraxas
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Tyraxas » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:05 pm

Drawing from the ley line
Spellcasting -2 for fluctuations
1d6-2 = 2: 4

WD Spellcasting
1d6-2 = 4: 6

Ace WD Spellcasting
1d6+4 = 7: 3
Tyraxas snorts as he finds himself swarmed by mosquitoes. "I have inhaled one of these irritating creatures! They nip at me relentlessly! I don't like the feeling." He shakes his head and coughs a moment, trying to dislodge the bloodsucker he has drawn into his throat. As the presumably-dinosaur roar echoes through the area, he shrugs. "It seems the form of frailty holds no advantage here. Very well. Let these minuscule creatures try to drink of my blood through my true skin." With that, and assuring that there is sufficient room, the human form swells and twists, until it is replaced completely by horns, scales, claws, and wings. "Let us be off. I shall take to the skies." He looks at his friends. "Unless you prefer I walk with you to keep you all safe."
He looks around, taking in his surroundings. He then turns to Norona. "Um...where are we going?" As he waits for the answer, he absentmindedly plays with the swamp muck, scooping and piling it up, then shoving it back into the hole he made.
Notice - edited in
Because I always forget
Notice
1d4 = 3: 3

WD Notice
1d6 = 2: 2
Last edited by Tyraxas on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyraxas
Tyraxas
Bennies: 4 (+1 quarter bonus, -1 EE T-Rex QC, +1 joker)
Current Status: Dragon form
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
PPE: 8 / 20
ISP: 0 / 0
Active Effects: None
Parry: 5
Toughness: 34 (16) MDC in dragon form
Toughness: 15 (6) in human form with deadboy armor and duster
Pertinent Edges: Quick
Adventure Cards:
  • Arcane Inspiration: When playing this card, a character with any sort of Arcane Background can either use one of his powers as a free action or use a power he doesn’t have.
Edit Signature
Dragon Breed Details

User avatar
Conrad
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:01 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Conrad » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:34 am

Notice
1d8 = 3: 3
wild dice 1d6 = 3: 3

Looking out of the hatch on top of the ATV, he gazed at the swamp. Swatting a bug bothering him, he sighed.

"Well, at least, I'm not going to get cold down here, but this is going to be fun to drive in. We will have to travel pretty slow unless Norona can find us some better routes."

User avatar
Norona
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:41 pm

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Norona » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:13 pm

Notice 12 (to scout a good route)
Notice 1d8 = 8: 8
Ace 1d8 = 4: 4
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
Channelling to draw 7 PPE
Channelling 1d10 = 9: 9
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2
Channelling to Activate Targon's Blessing (Environmental Protection) 6
Channelling 1d10 = 6: 6
WIld 1d6 = 4: 4
Survival (to scout a good route) - Critical Fail
Survival 1d8+2 = 3: 1
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
Taking a quick moment to absorb his surroundings, Norna feels the presence of the fluctuating ley line and does his best to take some essence to help in their adventure. He says a short prayer to Targon, lord of the land, who helps steel the half-fae against the sweltering heat and humidity. Taking to the air on his new hover cycle Norona attempts to find a good route for the vehicles to pass on dry land. He gets above the treeline and has a look around, spotting a particularly promising patch of earth he sets down to investigate. As soon as he dismounts he finds himself sinking quickly into the boggy water - it appears the ground is not a solid as it appears! Unable to find any footing he continues to sink, seeking Targon's protection once more, this time from the depth of the bog water. Sinking to the silt filled bottom he fumbles around in the murky water until he finds a way back up to the surface. Soaking wet and covered in mud, moss, and sticks he hops back on his hover cycle and heads back to the group.

Walking up to Conrad, completely dishevelled and full of muck and mud, he shrugs.

"I found the way we should not go."
Character Information
Norona, Wilderness Scout
Armored Stats: Pace: 11, Toughness 10 (4)
PPE: 40/20

Bennies: 5

User avatar
Tyraxas
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Tyraxas » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:35 pm

Tyraxas sniffs at Norona. "You smell terrible. At least you have eliminated the wrong path."
Tyraxas
Tyraxas
Bennies: 4 (+1 quarter bonus, -1 EE T-Rex QC, +1 joker)
Current Status: Dragon form
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
PPE: 8 / 20
ISP: 0 / 0
Active Effects: None
Parry: 5
Toughness: 34 (16) MDC in dragon form
Toughness: 15 (6) in human form with deadboy armor and duster
Pertinent Edges: Quick
Adventure Cards:
  • Arcane Inspiration: When playing this card, a character with any sort of Arcane Background can either use one of his powers as a free action or use a power he doesn’t have.
Edit Signature
Dragon Breed Details

User avatar
Deezy Klatta
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Deezy Klatta » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:39 pm

"Oh wow, it's pretty hot!" Deezy exclaims. "You think with all this water it wouldn't be... I could rig up some kind of energy exchanger...cool the inside of the ATV off maybe. Argh! I need to recharge my BOOTS!"

She started getting some items together in her little corner of the ATV and assembling some useful trinkets...
Making some gadgets in advance (1 benny spent)
Rocket Boots (Fly) 1d10-2 = 0: 2 or 1d6-2 = 3: 5 Raise
Benny for Extra Effort 1d6 = 6: 6
Environmental Protection 1d10+2 = 11: 9 or 1d6+2 = 6: 4 Raise
Boost Trait 1d10+2 = 3: 1 or 1d6+2 = 6: 4
OOC Comments
Player Name: Salmon Max
Google Handle: samminmax@gmail.com

Character Name: [urk=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php ... =167#p1803]Dorothy Zane “DZ” Klatta[/url]
Rank:Novice Experience: 10 (7/30/17) Advances Left: 0
Race: Human
Iconic Framework: Techno-Wizard
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Charisma: -1; Pace: 6; Parry: 4; Toughness: 12 (6); PPE: 20
Skills:
Knowledge: Arcana d10
Knowledge: Engineering d10 (+1)
Knowledge: Science d6
Knowledge: Electronics d10 (+1)
Repair d10 (+2 Edge, +4 armor (inc TW bonus))
Investigate d6 (+2)
Techno-Wizardry d10
Fighting
Notice
Shooting d6 (+3 w/revolver)

Hindrances
Overconfident (Major): Never give up...NEVER SURRENDER!
Greedy (Minor): Building something like this is going to take a load of bread to capitalize...where’m I gonna get the money?!
Habit (Minor): Too hyperactive!

Edges
Edge: Master of Magic (mega-magic ENGAGE)
Edge: Extra PPE (+5 PPE)
Edge: Mr Fixit (+2 Repair, halve time required on raise)
Edge: Investigator (+2 to Investigate, Streetwise, and Notice to sort through evidence)
Edge: Improved Recharge (recover 1 PPE/.5 hour)

Gizmos (spells):
AEGIS (Active ElectroGravitational Interception System)
Armor (2PPE, +2 armor/+4 on raise, duration 3 (+1/rnd), touch)
Greater Armor (5PPE, +5 MDC armor/+10 on raise, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Omniblaster
Bolt (1PPE/2d6 missile (up to 3), 2PPE/3d6 missile, 12/24/48)
Onslaught (2PPE/3d6MD missile (up to 4), 4PPE/6d6MD missile, 18/36/72)

TIAMAT (Thaumic Imaging And Magical Ambiance Testing)
Detect/Conceal Arcana (2PPE, sense supernatural creatures, objects or effects)
Exalted Detect/Conceal Arcana (4PPE, gain more info, 2PPE to analyze creature)

ROCKET BOOTS (No acronym; just rockets in boots)
Flight (3PPE, fly at Pace; 6PPE, 2x Pace, duration 3 (+1/rnd), touch)
Swift Flight (8PPE, 4x Pace and -1 to be hit; 10PPE 8x Pace and -2 to be hit, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Gear
Triax T-13 Field Mechanic
Armor 6, +1 Toughness, Full environment, 18lbs
Laser Torch, 3d6MD, RoF 1, AP 3, 4/8/16
Extensible Manipulator: Reach 1, Str 1d6, 1d6+1d4 dmg in melee w/laser finger
Optical Enhancements; 10x mag, thermal vision, spectrographic scanner, +2 Repair
10 mile communication, nightvision, loudspeaker, laser rangefinder


TW Revolver
2d6+2 dmg, RoF 1, AP 4, 6 shots, 12/24/48
+1 Shooting skill (Minor TW Augmentation)
2PPE to charge, 2PPE to make Mega-damage


TechnoWizard Specialized Toolkit
I use it for techno things that also involve wizardry.

NG-S2 Survival Pack
2 person tent, +20% water supplies
Sleeping bag
Flashlight w/knife; solar
Inertial compass (+2 to Survival to navigate)
Short range (5 mile) radio
First aid kit (+1 to healing; 3 uses)
Hunting/Fishing kit (+1 to Survival to forage)
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
Survival Knife, hatchet, wooden cross
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations


Credits: 2000

User avatar
Sierra Mackenzie
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Sierra Mackenzie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:05 am

Notice 4
Notice 1d6 = 4: 4
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
***

Sierra wasn’t ready for the sudden white. Her stomach felt like it dropped into her uterus, and then jumped up into her throat. The world spun a bit as she hit the pavement near the team’s vehicles.

“Little warni--” Sierra rushed away and heaved, hacking up her morning breakfast of eggs, bacon, and tequila. Bent over, spitting and drooling in the aftermath, she held up a flaming middle finger at Veritas.

“Nobody saw that!”

Washing out her mouth with a swig from her tequila (she’d bought a couple fresh cases since she didn’t know when she would get the chance again, and she was loaded with credits now), Sierra returned to the group, tossing her red hair as if nothing happened.

“Now where were we?”

Sierra took a moment to tie her jacket around her waist and let out her wings, testing out her new techno-wizarded clothes. The ultrafine wiring and mystic runes hidden in the weave siphoned off the heat a bit, enough to keep them from bursting into flames, cycling it back into her body to be absorbed.

“Neat! Deezy Enterprises does good work! Give Veritas your business card!” she told the redheaded techno-wizard.

Sierra climbed into the truck, stowing her gear and tequila in the back.

“Everyone make sure you did your business? Who knows when we’ll have anything more than the bushes crawling with chiggers to bite at your nether bits.”

The heat hit Sierra first as she stepped out of the truck into the swamp once they were through. “Oh, wow!” The heat didn’t bother her really. She was hotter. But the humidity! She was already beading with sweat! Tossing her jacket aside into the truck, she wiped her forehead, already feeling her hair go limp.

“At least there’s shade,” she said, looking up at the canopy. “Gingers and the sun don’t get along. Am I right, Deez?”

Sierra didn’t like the sound of that roar, though. “That sounded big…”

She slapped at the mosquitos landing on her. “Oh no you don’t! I just dealt with enough bloodsuckers a week ago!” She flashed her fire aura.

Sierra jumped when Tyraxas changed to dragon form. “Damn! Nothing will bother us now!”

Norona went off on his hovercycle to scout ahead. Sierra took a nip from her flask. When the elf returned, she gaped. He was covered in muck and detritus.

“Wow. Well, at least the bugs won’t bite you through all that mud,” Sierra commented. She climbed back into the ATV. “Crank up the air conditioning!”

***
Conditions
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
ISP: 20/20
Bennies: 3/3
Adventure Card
  • Speedy Gonzales: Expend this card to gain +2 to your Pace for the rest of the scene.
Everything Burns
1d10 = 1: 1
3-10: Anything highly flammable burns.
6-10: Anything flammable burns.
8-9: Water boils away over 2d6 = 8: 5, 3 rounds.
10: Anything not flammable burns or melts (metal, stone, ceramic, etc) and water superheats and evaporates immediately.
Gear
Sierra’s pack is in the car.
Conditions
Sierra Character Sheet
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
Liquid Courage: Vigor d10, Toughness: 8, ignore 1 point of Wounds (1 hour)
ISP: 5/20
Bennies: 1/3
Adventure Card
  • Mechanical Malfunction: A device malfunctions in some way: guns jam, bow strings break, etc. The device can be fixed by a Repair roll at -4 and 10 minutes work.


Everything Burns
[dice]1d10[/dice]
3-10: Anything highly flammable burns.
6-10: Anything flammable burns.
8-9: Water boils away over [dice]2d6[/dice] rounds.
10: Anything not flammable burns or melts (metal, stone, ceramic, etc) and water superheats and evaporates immediately.
Gear
Sierra’s pack is in the car.

User avatar
Conrad
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:01 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Conrad » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:30 am

Norona wrote:Walking up to Conrad, completely dishevelled and full of muck and mud, he shrugs."I found the way we should not go."
Conrad gives Norona a look as if to say you're cleaning your own bike. He ran a quick sweep using the ATV's sensors trying to find a path for them, or at least hints of civilisation to aim for.

Survival 4
OOC Comments
survival 1d4 = 1: 1
wild dice 1d6 = 4: 4
Sierra Mackenzie wrote:Wow. Well, at least the bugs won’t bite you through all that mud,” Sierra commented. She climbed back into the ATV. “Crank up the air conditioning!”
"Air conditioning, you'll be lucky. I took that out ages ago." Conrad grinned at her.

When you look at Conrad, you realise that he isn't perspiring, at least not in a way that you can tell.
OOC Comments
Conrad is a giant lizard. Cold bothers him, not heat, though obviously he still needs to drink.

User avatar
Tyraxas
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Tyraxas » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:15 pm

Tyraxas raises his wings to shield Sierra and the others from the sun. "Worry not, fiery one. I am the largest creature in this swamp. And if I am not, bring them to me, and I soon will be." He stands to his full height and swipes his claws, shadowboxing-style, at the imaginary giant in front of him, chopping them down to size. "I learned that by watching Kuikku."
Tyraxas
Tyraxas
Bennies: 4 (+1 quarter bonus, -1 EE T-Rex QC, +1 joker)
Current Status: Dragon form
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
PPE: 8 / 20
ISP: 0 / 0
Active Effects: None
Parry: 5
Toughness: 34 (16) MDC in dragon form
Toughness: 15 (6) in human form with deadboy armor and duster
Pertinent Edges: Quick
Adventure Cards:
  • Arcane Inspiration: When playing this card, a character with any sort of Arcane Background can either use one of his powers as a free action or use a power he doesn’t have.
Edit Signature
Dragon Breed Details

User avatar
Jareb
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Jareb » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:43 pm

The heat is sweltering. Jared checks his pack with Gift in it. Not good. I need to have Conrad install some eviormental protections for her. A swamp, of couse just like last time I would come so ill prepared. Barely enough water for myself let alone a baby... Jareb sets down in the muck looking over his supplies. He is muttering to himself half joking, " Damit Jarb, don't want an other catacysm just becuase you did not bring water." Gift giggles and Jareb pours some water into a bottle for her.

It would seem the team is gathering near Conrad's ATV. Jareb approaches the rest pf the team. He stows the ice blast shotgun he picked up from Vertas's home and says his throat already partched and hoarse," It would seem we need to find the locals, Conrad, Norana good job taking stock of where we are and what is arround us. Seirra makes a good point. The swamps are often rife with disease, we must take stock of what resources we have and conserve portable drinking water. Deezy, what can you do to give us an edge in surviving this heat and or turning swamp water into fresh water?" Jareb pauses taking a swig of his own canteen. " Tyraxas, indeed you will be our deterent and safty net. Keep a watchful eye. Conrad assuming you were able to pick up any signs of civilization I suggest we move that way, Norona in the lead providing ariel scouting, with..." Jareb pauses smirking a bit, " Did you really disable the eviromental controls of your ATV? Still I would recommend everyone else sit tight in the ATV, with Tyraxas as the rear gaurd should it please his mighty girth to assume the nobelest of positions. Johnny, given the cover and lack of good sight lines the swamp provides I bleive having yyou close at hand would do well. I would preffer you to be side by side with the ATV."

Jareb for a moment pulls Kiukku aside. Softly Jareb says will much regret, " I find it ominous my first mission back into the world is to a swamp. Don't get me wrong, I is not like I have been living in the celestial temples drinking divine delights. No since the coming of the rifts ai have been down here in the muck, but I was removed in self pity and doubt. It only recently found my way, and decided to help where I can." Jareb points out into the swamp, " This swamp carries enough similiarites to the ones in south america... There I let the people of the world down, I cannot deny the omen of coming into another swampy jungle... But this time I will find a way to not let anyone down."
Jareb Combat data
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d8 (d10), Vigor d8, -2 to be hit from range via improved dodge.
Charisma: 0; Pace: 4; Parry: 8 ; Toughness: 16(10); Strain: 0,PPE:20/9
-8 for Warriors Gift 3 rounds, impr Dodge and Imprv Trade markweapon
-1 to activate BFB
Combat edges:
  • Quick- redraw on 5 or less
    Elan
Command edges:
  • Command: +1 to unshake in command radius
    Hold the line: +1 toughness to troops under their command
    Natural Leader: Can share bennies with those under his command,
Active Powers and other bonuses: Improved Trademark Weapon (St Cathrine’s Blade), Improved Dodge (-2 to hit from Range)
[/list]
Bennies
4/3
+1 lucky
+1 high post rate
+1 good RP
+3 hindrences and crit fail
-3 bennies for brodkill fight
-1 Benny for sharing with Ty
-1 Benny Brodkill quick combat
+1 GM help
-1 amazing repair

User avatar
Tyraxas
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Tyraxas » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:40 pm

Tyraxas nods. "With me at your back, you need fear no enemy penetration from behind." He flexes for good measure, oblivious to the additional lewd connotation of his statement.
Tyraxas
Tyraxas
Bennies: 4 (+1 quarter bonus, -1 EE T-Rex QC, +1 joker)
Current Status: Dragon form
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
PPE: 8 / 20
ISP: 0 / 0
Active Effects: None
Parry: 5
Toughness: 34 (16) MDC in dragon form
Toughness: 15 (6) in human form with deadboy armor and duster
Pertinent Edges: Quick
Adventure Cards:
  • Arcane Inspiration: When playing this card, a character with any sort of Arcane Background can either use one of his powers as a free action or use a power he doesn’t have.
Edit Signature
Dragon Breed Details

User avatar
Sierra Mackenzie
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Sierra Mackenzie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:23 pm

Sierra stopped abruptly, Tyraxes bumping into her from behind, bowling her over. She rolled over onto her back to look up at him, giggling.

“What did you say?” She snorted, trying to hold in her laughter. “What if he...likes it...from behind?” Then Sierra lost it, laughing uproarious. A bit of swamp gas belched nearby and suddenly ignited.
Conditions
Sierra Character Sheet
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
Liquid Courage: Vigor d10, Toughness: 8, ignore 1 point of Wounds (1 hour)
ISP: 5/20
Bennies: 1/3
Adventure Card
  • Mechanical Malfunction: A device malfunctions in some way: guns jam, bow strings break, etc. The device can be fixed by a Repair roll at -4 and 10 minutes work.


Everything Burns
[dice]1d10[/dice]
3-10: Anything highly flammable burns.
6-10: Anything flammable burns.
8-9: Water boils away over [dice]2d6[/dice] rounds.
10: Anything not flammable burns or melts (metal, stone, ceramic, etc) and water superheats and evaporates immediately.
Gear
Sierra’s pack is in the car.

User avatar
Tyraxas
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Tyraxas » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:39 pm

Tyraxas looks down at the burster he has just knocked over. "I am very sorry! You stopped short. I did not mean to nearly crush you underfoot." He cocks his head to the side, unable to understand the cause of the humor. "I said you need fear no enemy penetration from behind with me at your back. Why is this amusing? Even if the enemy catches us unawares, your backside is safe. I would think this knowledge is reassuring."
He continues to puzzle over Sierra's riotous laughter. He eventually shrugs and picks her up. With a massive draconic hand, as gently as he can manage, he wipes the mud off of the hysterical redhead.
Tyraxas
Tyraxas
Bennies: 4 (+1 quarter bonus, -1 EE T-Rex QC, +1 joker)
Current Status: Dragon form
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
PPE: 8 / 20
ISP: 0 / 0
Active Effects: None
Parry: 5
Toughness: 34 (16) MDC in dragon form
Toughness: 15 (6) in human form with deadboy armor and duster
Pertinent Edges: Quick
Adventure Cards:
  • Arcane Inspiration: When playing this card, a character with any sort of Arcane Background can either use one of his powers as a free action or use a power he doesn’t have.
Edit Signature
Dragon Breed Details

User avatar
Jareb
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Jareb » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:33 pm

Tyraxas wrote:Tyraxas looks down at the burster he has just knocked over. "I am very sorry! You stopped short. I did not mean to nearly crush you underfoot." He cocks his head to the side, unable to understand the cause of the humor. "I said you need fear no enemy penetration from behind with me at your back. Why is this amusing? Even if the enemy catches us unawares, your backside is safe. I would think this knowledge is reassuring."
He continues to puzzle over Sierra's riotous laughter. He eventually shrugs and picks her up. With a massive draconic hand, as gently as he can manage, he wipes the mud off of the hysterical redhead.
Jareb with a cool eye and frown, says to Ty," You have no need to be appologetic to someone that laughs at you." . Jareb sighs rubbing his face clearly dreading this moment. Gift is watching with rap attention.
Jareb Combat data
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d8 (d10), Vigor d8, -2 to be hit from range via improved dodge.
Charisma: 0; Pace: 4; Parry: 8 ; Toughness: 16(10); Strain: 0,PPE:20/9
-8 for Warriors Gift 3 rounds, impr Dodge and Imprv Trade markweapon
-1 to activate BFB
Combat edges:
  • Quick- redraw on 5 or less
    Elan
Command edges:
  • Command: +1 to unshake in command radius
    Hold the line: +1 toughness to troops under their command
    Natural Leader: Can share bennies with those under his command,
Active Powers and other bonuses: Improved Trademark Weapon (St Cathrine’s Blade), Improved Dodge (-2 to hit from Range)
[/list]
Bennies
4/3
+1 lucky
+1 high post rate
+1 good RP
+3 hindrences and crit fail
-3 bennies for brodkill fight
-1 Benny for sharing with Ty
-1 Benny Brodkill quick combat
+1 GM help
-1 amazing repair

User avatar
Tyraxas
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Tyraxas » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:25 pm

Tyraxas turns to look at Jareb. "Laughing...at me? I don't understand. Is the one selected for rear guard duty the butt of a joke I haven't been told?" Tyraxas looks around at the others, awaiting someone to tell him the punchline of a joke he didn't know he made. "I don't want to be rearguard anymore! Make someone else do it!" The dragon stomps to the middle of the group, then crosses his arms in front of him. "Here. I'll stand here. Now no one is covering our rear." He snorts disapprovingly, a plume of heated smoke escaping his nostrils.
"You'll all be sorry when we get taken unawares from behind."
Tyraxas
Tyraxas
Bennies: 4 (+1 quarter bonus, -1 EE T-Rex QC, +1 joker)
Current Status: Dragon form
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
PPE: 8 / 20
ISP: 0 / 0
Active Effects: None
Parry: 5
Toughness: 34 (16) MDC in dragon form
Toughness: 15 (6) in human form with deadboy armor and duster
Pertinent Edges: Quick
Adventure Cards:
  • Arcane Inspiration: When playing this card, a character with any sort of Arcane Background can either use one of his powers as a free action or use a power he doesn’t have.
Edit Signature
Dragon Breed Details

User avatar
Jareb
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Jareb » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:50 pm

Tyraxas wrote:Tyraxas turns to look at Jareb. "Laughing...at me? I don't understand. Is the one selected for rear guard duty the butt of a joke I haven't been told?" Tyraxas looks around at the others, awaiting someone to tell him the punchline of a joke he didn't know he made. "I don't want to be rearguard anymore! Make someone else do it!" The dragon stomps to the middle of the group, then crosses his arms in front of him. "Here. I'll stand here. Now no one is covering our rear." He snorts disapprovingly, a plume of heated smoke escaping his nostrils.
"You'll all be sorry when we get taken unawares from behind."
Jareb flys over to the dragon and sighs inwardly, " Yes at your phrasing of the rearguard, it was uncalled for, but semantics is the least of my concern... The one selected for reargaurd is not demeaned in any way. When I used to lead the great celestial armies in their attacks on the 4th circle of hell, I only ever put my most trusted captians in the reargaurd." The baby in his backpack giggles and reaches for Tyraxas' magnificient scales. " I understand sulkimg more than most, I wallowed in my own self doubts for the better part of 400 years." Jareb reaches out extending a hand to the dragon, " I need our best to gaurd the rear, there is no other here which could do it better." Jareb calls to the dragon in a mighty voice trying to inspire drive and courage, " What say you Tyraxas, son of Blackwell, mightiest of all dragon kind. Will you take it upon yourself to be last in line but first in defense. Will you gaurd the rear and let no foe passed your winged breast!? What say you?"
Jareb Combat data
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d8 (d10), Vigor d8, -2 to be hit from range via improved dodge.
Charisma: 0; Pace: 4; Parry: 8 ; Toughness: 16(10); Strain: 0,PPE:20/9
-8 for Warriors Gift 3 rounds, impr Dodge and Imprv Trade markweapon
-1 to activate BFB
Combat edges:
  • Quick- redraw on 5 or less
    Elan
Command edges:
  • Command: +1 to unshake in command radius
    Hold the line: +1 toughness to troops under their command
    Natural Leader: Can share bennies with those under his command,
Active Powers and other bonuses: Improved Trademark Weapon (St Cathrine’s Blade), Improved Dodge (-2 to hit from Range)
[/list]
Bennies
4/3
+1 lucky
+1 high post rate
+1 good RP
+3 hindrences and crit fail
-3 bennies for brodkill fight
-1 Benny for sharing with Ty
-1 Benny Brodkill quick combat
+1 GM help
-1 amazing repair

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Pursuit » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:39 am

Conditions: It is 100 degrees Fahrenheit and close to 100% humidity in the late afternoon. A small ley line runs overhead where the party begins, but, due to the odd activity of the lines in the region, any attempts to draw PPE from it are made at -2.

Plenty of Water, But No Day at the Beach:

The party gets itself situated and prepared to deal with the heat and hazards of the swamp. Norona gets some unplanned, first-hand experience with the swamp's treacherous terrain [and earns himself a Benny in the process!] while Jareb establishes a marching order, with some less-than-helpful assistance from Sierra.

As the party begins to move through the swamp, Conrad gets a feel for the basic directionals (i.e., which way is north), but can't tell much more than that until the stars come out later and he can get a look at the constellations. The going is slow, but doesn't seem especially dangerous for the vehicles.

It is good that you have begun to establish protocols for re-filling your water supplies, because they are being used up rapidly in the heat. Finding water in a swamp is easy enough, but potable water is another thing entirely.

You come to a large, solid patch of ground that looks dry enough, but something about it makes the hairs on Sierra's neck stand at attention again. Just as she is getting a bad feeling about this, Conrad notices the dry patch looks almost like it's been prepared somehow... and that there is a gigantic, clawed footprint in the mud leading away from the solid ground.

Before anyone can take action, a roar splits the air! Baby Gift lets out a startled cry, the ground shakes, and a great lizard bursts from the undergrowth on the far side of the solid ground. You find yourself face-to-face with a Tyrannosaurus Rex!

Another roar sounds, and another of the great dinosaurs appears. Each is roughly the same size as Tyraxas, with rows of deadly pointed teeth and jaws that compare to even the great hatchling's maw.

A third, tinier roar joins the chorus, and it becomes clear where you are: you've stumbled on a Tyrannosaur nest! A much smaller T-Rex about the size of Johnny's glitter boy comes bounding from the underbrush behind the other two, brandishing its own teeth and roaring along with mom and dad.
A2FD23CE-2508-47FD-8887-6E71584683A7.jpeg
Decision Time!

Welcome to your first quick combat in the swamp, and it's a doosey!

We will be using the modified quick combat rules, which are posted below. Please read these carefully, even if you are already familiar with them. The scene modifier is particularly important!

THE PARTY NEEDS 7 TOTAL SUCCESSES TO WIN!
Edited to reflect that Johnny is no longer with the team, so you need 7 successes instead of 8.


Quick Combat Rules:

Steps: the following is the Order of Operations for a Quick Combat.
  1. Scene Modifier
  2. Player Character Options (Resources Spent)
  3. Quick Combat Roll
  4. Describe outcome (Narrative)
1. Scene Modifier: You have a choice to make, here:
  • You can attempt to kill the Rexes, in which case your rolls for the scene will be made at -4. This accounts for their inherent Toughness and the fact that they're fighting to protect their young, which means they're desperate; OR
  • You can attempt to resolve the situation without seriously wounding the dinosaurs. This will be tough, and all of your rolls will be made at -8! If you can manage to pull it off, though, you may find yourself rewarded for the effort...


2. Player Character Options: this will allow you the Player Character to have more control over the results of Quick Combat without having to use Bennies (though you may use Bennies as normal, if you like).

Resources Spent: As a default your character spends 4 Power Points or 8 rounds of ammo. Before rolling declare if you would like to have your character risk more or expend more resources for a better chance of success. Note: you must have the resources to spend them.
  • -2: Conserve your energy - Believing it may be an easy battle you accept -2 to your roll in exchange for spending 1/2 (rounded down) the resources. However, your character receives a free soak roll versus any wounds taken from failure.
  • +0: In The Fight - Wanting to stay on top of things you fight like a professional. You roll without an additional modifier for the default resource cost.
  • +2: Serious Business - You do not play around and do what you have to in order to ensure victory, even when it requires risking yourself. You may double the resources spent, or accept 1 Fatigue or 1 Wound to gain a bonus of +2 to this roll.
  • +4: No Matter The Cost - When Battle comes you go all in, winning no matter the personal cost. You may triple the resources spent, or accept 2 Fatigue or 2 Wounds to gain a bonus of +4 to this roll.
3. Quick Combat Roll:
  • Critical Failure (-1): The hero is stopped by overwhelming numbers, an unfortunate tactical development, or bad fortune. He suffers 2 wounds. In addition he accidentally inhibits another players efforts reducing the number of successes for the group by 1. (The Hero may spend a Bennie as usual to make a Soak roll if desired.)
  • Failure (+0): The hero is stopped by overwhelming numbers, an unfortunate tactical development, or bad fortune. He suffers 1 Wound (The Hero may spend a Bennie as usual to make a Soak roll if desired.)
  • Success (+1): The hero fights well and adds +1 to success to his team’s efforts. He adds 1 success to his side’s battle. Though the dangers of the battle put him at risk of receiving a serious wound. Your hero must make a Vigor roll (no penalties), Failure he suffers a wound, on success he suffers no wound.
  • Raise (+2): The hero wreaks havoc, slaying enemy leaders and destroying important assets. He adds 2 successes to his side’s battle. Escaping the dangers of battle he finds himself uninjured. In addition you gain a Benny
  • Two or More Raises (+3): The warrior covers himself in glory! Many foes fall before him and his success inspires his allies to fight like demons. His efforts add +3 (or more) to his side’s successes and he emerges from the fight unscathed. The character may also reduce another player's Critical Failure result to a normal failure if he narrates how he interfered. In addition you gain a Benny, or things lined up well for you, your character was able to conserve resources more than expected, as a result regain half of the resources spent for this roll, if you don't take the bennie.
4. Narrative: You then do your best to narrate the result of your roll to make your character seem as awesome as possible.

Feel free to post in any order. There is no initiative for quick combat, so you are all up.

Good luck, and remember to include your scene modifier in your rolls!

Note: These guys are MDC critters.

User avatar
Jareb
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Jareb » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:47 pm

A nest! What would I do to protect my own gift?
In the near past
Jareb is on the floor of an ally way, its dark except for the one intermittent street light. Four Grackletooth's are standing over him beating his face, stomach, and legs with their fists and legs. The ground runs red with the angels blood. A fifth Grackletooth holds Jareb's baby charge like a football. This Grackle is wearing a fancy black blazer and oversized slacks. He chuckles, " Looks like this will be the easiest milk run we have ever done. Boss wants the baby, but he said we can kill her so called protector. Tawny take care of the angel."

The larger Grackletooth, about 3 feet taller than the rest and more muscles than all four of the combined bends down and lifts Jareb up with one hand while the other sweetly caresses his angelic face. Tawny's forked tongue passes over Jareb's sweat and blood drenched forehead. Jareb whispers something. Tawny lifts Jareb by the throat until the angel's feet do not even touch the ground. Tawny nears at Jareb, " Whacha saying Angel? Boss man and Eddy, says Tawny can kill you good. Huh, can't even protect a little baby. Tawny do you a favor he thinks, you tell Tawny last night you wish your little gift never had come to you. Now you donta need to worry about it, eh." Tawny squeezes tight.

Jareb's eyes fly open, righteous rage is leveled behind them. His voice is horse but not broken, " I said, Help me father, and indeed he has answered my prayer." A blinding flash erupts from the dark sky causimg the grackles to pause. In Jareb's right hand materializing, for the first time, is the sword of St. Cathrine. Rage flashes in the sky, screams fill the air, and more blood runs in the gutters of the street.

In 12 seconds its all over and Jareb has gift in one hand and the blazer wearing Gracklettoth in the other. " Listen, Edward is it? The grackletooth nods limp in Jareb's arm having suffered several gashes to his abdomen. " Good, you will live just long enough to tell your boss, Jareb the 13th general of the celestial armies, is coming for him with wraith unchained. No one hurts those I have sworn to protect."
The wraith of a parent or guardian may be swift and viscous. Jareb commands letting his wings unfurl, " Protect yourself and stay clear of the young. Do not kill the creatures they only do what they have to do to protect their charges. Deezy and Norona be ready on my signal." Gift shocked by the dinosaurs looks on with her own raptor like eyes. Jareb leaps letting his molting wings carry him directly at one of the larger creatures in an attempt to grapple it. Sheer lunacy had it not been for his army, both from the heavens and from hell rift in to assist their general. Jareb cries to his heavenly and hellish allies, " No matter the cost, subdue it!!"
Fighting to subdue with no matter the cost, 12 PPE spent, Total 5
1d12-8+4= 1d12-4 = 1: 5 wild 1d6-4 = 1: 5 Benny for EF 1d6+2 = 4: 2
Vigor 1d8 = 6: 6 wild 1d8 = 6: 6,
Jareb gets caught in the maw of one T-rex, but before its large teeth can come gnashing down an angelic warrior flies in and blocks the teeth with her double blades. Jareb nods at her and rolls out swinging himself atop of the T-rex. His celestial allies surround it and try to bring it low. Almost having their goal accomplished Jareb looks at Deezy and Norona crying out, " Now Deezy and Norona, put it to sleep!!"
Attachments
IMG_0439.JPG
IMG_0440.JPG
Jareb Combat data
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d8 (d10), Vigor d8, -2 to be hit from range via improved dodge.
Charisma: 0; Pace: 4; Parry: 8 ; Toughness: 16(10); Strain: 0,PPE:20/9
-8 for Warriors Gift 3 rounds, impr Dodge and Imprv Trade markweapon
-1 to activate BFB
Combat edges:
  • Quick- redraw on 5 or less
    Elan
Command edges:
  • Command: +1 to unshake in command radius
    Hold the line: +1 toughness to troops under their command
    Natural Leader: Can share bennies with those under his command,
Active Powers and other bonuses: Improved Trademark Weapon (St Cathrine’s Blade), Improved Dodge (-2 to hit from Range)
[/list]
Bennies
4/3
+1 lucky
+1 high post rate
+1 good RP
+3 hindrences and crit fail
-3 bennies for brodkill fight
-1 Benny for sharing with Ty
-1 Benny Brodkill quick combat
+1 GM help
-1 amazing repair

User avatar
Deezy Klatta
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Deezy Klatta » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:00 pm

"This," Deezy muttered as she patted herself down frantically, "would be a lot easier if we could just blow 'em up..."

Abruptly she brightened and yanked a pouch out of another pouch that had been affixed to a shoulder strap with a baby pin. "Ah ha! THERE that is!"

From the pouch she pulled a complicated looking metallic cube, its surface riven with grooves in strange patterns that were somewhere between the lines on a circuit board, and the diagrams that composed a mystical summoning circle.

"Klattatech Quantum Qube number eight-thirteen! HYPERBOLIC SLUMBER SLAMMER! GO!"

The inventatrix hurled the cube like a grenade! When it hit the ground it immediately begin to shift and change, rotating along the lines that broke its surface, then unfolding, then rotating again...getting bigger and bigger as it went, though with no sign of how or where the extra size was coming from. It sprouted steel bars that grew several feet straight up, then continued unfolding outward to form a sturdy metal cylinder. From the side of it that faced the dinosaurs, eight hollow barrels emerged. From the backside, a firing trigger and a long banana magazine full of darts loaded with a mysterious green glowing fluid. From the top yet more broad, hollow apertures opened, along with myriad cooling fins and vents and blinking lights and a large, ominous red button labeled 'NEVER PUSH.'

Deezy rushed up to it, grabbed the trigger and swiveled the now full-size gatling machine gun to face the foremost of the adult T-rexes. The barrels started rotating with an electric whine that was completely drowned out by the thundering footfalls of the charging beast, and the bone-rattling roar!

"This might sting JUST A LITTLE!" she shouted, and slammed her fist down onto the giant red button!

Darts exploded from all eight of the barrels of the Slumber Slammer simultaneously, exhausting its magazine in a magnificent single salvo that caused the weapon...and Deezy...to go catapulting backwards! And then the gun itself started blaring the music from the climax of the 1812 Overture. At the same time, little rockets came whizzing out of the ports on the top. Each one exploded into fireworks at the apex of their flight...but since the gun was tumbling wildly, the rockets went out in ALL DIRECTIONS, exploding harmlessly all over the place!

Deezy rolled to a halt, dazed, and looked up as a shadow fell over her. The monstrous thunder lizard glared down at her...its jaws gaped wide enough for her to just walk casually inside, and then descended straight at her!

...and lodged in the dirt on either side of her, as if the dinosaur's head was some kind of massive, terrifying tent. Its eyes were open but unfocused. Its legs twitched, then went still. Protruding from the left side of its ribcage was a FOREST of little green feathers. Over two thousand darts, driven at speeds sufficient to penetrate armored hide that could repulse laser weapons and plasma blasts, had delivered their payload.

"Now THAT is what I call a field test!" Deezy shouted as she wriggled out from under that forest of teeth.

The tyrannosaurus began to snore, oblivious to the chaos all around it.
Rolls
Tech-Wizardry roll to make a Greater Slumber gadget and use it! AT ANY COST! 1d12-4 = 8: 12 or 1d6-4 = 0: 4
Oh snap. 1d12 = 8: 8
OOC Comments
Player Name: Salmon Max
Google Handle: samminmax@gmail.com

Character Name: [urk=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php ... =167#p1803]Dorothy Zane “DZ” Klatta[/url]
Rank:Novice Experience: 10 (7/30/17) Advances Left: 0
Race: Human
Iconic Framework: Techno-Wizard
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Charisma: -1; Pace: 6; Parry: 4; Toughness: 12 (6); PPE: 20
Skills:
Knowledge: Arcana d10
Knowledge: Engineering d10 (+1)
Knowledge: Science d6
Knowledge: Electronics d10 (+1)
Repair d10 (+2 Edge, +4 armor (inc TW bonus))
Investigate d6 (+2)
Techno-Wizardry d10
Fighting
Notice
Shooting d6 (+3 w/revolver)

Hindrances
Overconfident (Major): Never give up...NEVER SURRENDER!
Greedy (Minor): Building something like this is going to take a load of bread to capitalize...where’m I gonna get the money?!
Habit (Minor): Too hyperactive!

Edges
Edge: Master of Magic (mega-magic ENGAGE)
Edge: Extra PPE (+5 PPE)
Edge: Mr Fixit (+2 Repair, halve time required on raise)
Edge: Investigator (+2 to Investigate, Streetwise, and Notice to sort through evidence)
Edge: Improved Recharge (recover 1 PPE/.5 hour)

Gizmos (spells):
AEGIS (Active ElectroGravitational Interception System)
Armor (2PPE, +2 armor/+4 on raise, duration 3 (+1/rnd), touch)
Greater Armor (5PPE, +5 MDC armor/+10 on raise, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Omniblaster
Bolt (1PPE/2d6 missile (up to 3), 2PPE/3d6 missile, 12/24/48)
Onslaught (2PPE/3d6MD missile (up to 4), 4PPE/6d6MD missile, 18/36/72)

TIAMAT (Thaumic Imaging And Magical Ambiance Testing)
Detect/Conceal Arcana (2PPE, sense supernatural creatures, objects or effects)
Exalted Detect/Conceal Arcana (4PPE, gain more info, 2PPE to analyze creature)

ROCKET BOOTS (No acronym; just rockets in boots)
Flight (3PPE, fly at Pace; 6PPE, 2x Pace, duration 3 (+1/rnd), touch)
Swift Flight (8PPE, 4x Pace and -1 to be hit; 10PPE 8x Pace and -2 to be hit, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Gear
Triax T-13 Field Mechanic
Armor 6, +1 Toughness, Full environment, 18lbs
Laser Torch, 3d6MD, RoF 1, AP 3, 4/8/16
Extensible Manipulator: Reach 1, Str 1d6, 1d6+1d4 dmg in melee w/laser finger
Optical Enhancements; 10x mag, thermal vision, spectrographic scanner, +2 Repair
10 mile communication, nightvision, loudspeaker, laser rangefinder


TW Revolver
2d6+2 dmg, RoF 1, AP 4, 6 shots, 12/24/48
+1 Shooting skill (Minor TW Augmentation)
2PPE to charge, 2PPE to make Mega-damage


TechnoWizard Specialized Toolkit
I use it for techno things that also involve wizardry.

NG-S2 Survival Pack
2 person tent, +20% water supplies
Sleeping bag
Flashlight w/knife; solar
Inertial compass (+2 to Survival to navigate)
Short range (5 mile) radio
First aid kit (+1 to healing; 3 uses)
Hunting/Fishing kit (+1 to Survival to forage)
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
Survival Knife, hatchet, wooden cross
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations


Credits: 2000

User avatar
Tyraxas
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Tyraxas » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:02 pm

Spellcasting to Subdue - 1 success
Spellcasting, -8 to subdue, +4 NMTC; net -4
1d6-4 = -3: 1

WD Spellcasting
1d6-4 = 2: 6

Ace WD Spellcasting with prior
1d6+2 = 5: 3

Benny Extra Effort with prior
1d6+5 = 7: 2

Vigor to resist wound
1d8 = 4: 4

WD Vigor
1d6 = 2: 2
Tyraxas nods at Jareb. "I will do as you ask." He moves to the back of the group, but shortly finds himself advancing in a hurry, as the tyrannosaurus rex family descends on the wanderers. Responding in kind, Tyraxas bellows a fearsome roar, punctuated with a blast of fire. "The rearguard advances to the front! I will tear these creatures apa...subdue them?" The dragon double-takes as Jareb commands the creatures be treated with care enough to prevent their destruction. "They are hostile and intent on devouring you! Sigh. Very well."

Tyraxas moves to engage the larger of the two adult dinosaurs, but just as he prepares to attack, the creature falls asleep as a result of a barrage of techno-wizard sleeping darts. "That one was mine! Fine! I will take the smaller one!" He flies towards the lesser of the adult tyrannosaurs, swooping in from above in a dive bomb maneuver. As he descends, he quickens his movements, and bolsters his fighting abilities, just in time to crash into the raging tyrannosaur, driving it into the swamp. He swings a mighty claw, only at the last moment closing his fist and cracking the dinosaur with a powerful left jab, following up with a mighty right cross. The tyrannosaurus is clearly dazed, clumsily trying to regain its feet and snapping aimlessly at the air with its massive jaws.

Just as Tyraxas is about to celebrate his victory, the baby t-rex clamps down on his tail. "ARGH! Get off of me, whelp!" He shakes his rear violently, depositing the young tyrant lizard into the mud of the swamp. "You are lucky you did not pierce my mighty armor, child, or I would devour you whole simply to prove I can!" For punctuation, he spits a warning plume of fire in the direction of the young one. "These are ready for binding, if that is your wish, Jareb. But if we're taking pets, I want the small one. It is...somewhat...cute." He swivels around, ensuring no other threats are encroaching on their position.
Tyraxas
Tyraxas
Bennies: 4 (+1 quarter bonus, -1 EE T-Rex QC, +1 joker)
Current Status: Dragon form
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
PPE: 8 / 20
ISP: 0 / 0
Active Effects: None
Parry: 5
Toughness: 34 (16) MDC in dragon form
Toughness: 15 (6) in human form with deadboy armor and duster
Pertinent Edges: Quick
Adventure Cards:
  • Arcane Inspiration: When playing this card, a character with any sort of Arcane Background can either use one of his powers as a free action or use a power he doesn’t have.
Edit Signature
Dragon Breed Details

User avatar
Kuikku
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:20 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Kuikku » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:01 am

Rolls
Subduing -8, NMTC +4; Net -4
Fighting = 1d8-4 = 1: 5
Wild = 1d6-4 = -2: 2
Benny to reroll with Elan
Fighting = 1d8-2 = 3: 5
Wild = 1d6-2 = 3: 5
One more
Fighting = 1d8-2 = 3: 5
Wild = 1d6-2 = -1: 1

Soak
Vigor = 1d6+2 = 6: 4
Wild = 1d6+2 = 7: 5
As Veritas teleports the group Kuikku loses his bearings and mostly stumbles through the gate to the swamp. He hears the conversations and supports the marching directions but feels to disconnected to make any comment. All he can really do is walk along with the rest of the group, feeling like he is watching over his own shoulder rather than actually doing anything.

Even as the party walks into the dino nest Kuikku just stands there and watches. It is only when one of Deezy's errant fireworks detonates in his face that he finally shakes it off. Activating all his Cyber gear Kuikku also drops into one of his combat focus katas. Seeing that Deezy has taken care of one of the adults, and Jareb is working on another Kuikku decides to focus on the “small” one.

When Tyraxas tosses the little one away Kuikku knows exactly what to do. He starts running around the perimeter nearest the child swiping at the trees there. Unfortunately, he has little knowledge of engineering and instead of falling into a neat wall the trees fall in all sorts of directions. One of the trunks catches him on at the back of his head as he darts around knocking him to the ground. Sitting up Kuikku surveys the area and sees that he has not done much good. On top of that he suspects he has a cuncussion.
Status
Three bennies and 4 ISP spent
Two levels of Fatigue
Cyber-Armor Active: Toughness 19(8)MDC
Psy-Sword (single blade, right hand): 1d6+2d8 MD, AP 6
Boost Fighting
ISP: 6/10
Bennies: 1
Character
Kuikku
Parry: 7
Toughness: 14(6)
Toughness with Cyber-Armor active: 20(8) MDC

User avatar
Norona
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:41 pm

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Norona » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:43 pm

Channelling 4, 1 Success
Scene Modifier: -8
Serious Business: +2 (increase resources spent)

Channelling 1d10-6 = 3: 9
Extra Effort 1d6 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6-6 = -5: 1

Vigor 1d8 = 7: 7
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
Vigor Check Made no Wounds/Fatigue

8 PPE expended
"No!"

Seeing the family of dinosaurs causes a look of horror to flash across Norona's face - not at their monstrous appearance but at the difficulty of the situation. These creatures are part of the natural order, it is the legion who are impinging on their territory, threatening their nest, the creatures are only doing what comes naturally. Unfortunately, they are also large and dangerous, no doubt a great threat to their small convoy. Nonetheless, he feels honour bound to protect the t-rexes from the legion and the legion form the t-rexes. The key rests in the mother, is she can be warded off the others will most likely follow, if the father remains to fight, well...that will be a challenge for another day.

Concentrating for a moment, Norona zooms into the middle of the fray, coming between his mates and the charging lizard kings. Despite their ferocious roars he speaks to the mother calmly, using the voice of their creator to appeal to her animal mind. The creature's great size and limited intelligence make communication and control very difficult, yet the wilderness scout persists finally connecting to her mind. In an instant, the two are able to communicate, Norona can feel her desire to eat but also to protect her young, he reassures her that they are only passing through and that Sierra would give them heartburn anyway. The mother can barely contain her base instincts to kill and eat, but the voice of the creator speaks deeply to his creatures and she relents, calling for her young child to turn away with her.

Yet, while he breaks through with the mother, father and baby still attack. Trying to sway three animals would be a huge tax on his resources, but the presence of the wonky ley line forces him to try. First, with the child, Norona concentrates, but the actions of the others make it difficult. If he can only convince mother and child to leave, the father is too fierce and may never back down. It is not in his nature. Pulling his hover cycle back, Norona tries speaking to the child. Its animal instincts are even more basic, it doesn't even think, only copies what it sees from its progenitors. Yet, also children of all creatures know their creator's voice well - it has not been so long since they heard it. Eventually the baby listens to mother and creator, moving off from the area.

Taxed almost to breaking from controlling animals of such size, Norona looks out at the battle raging with the father. He did his best to avoid bloodshed, but this is the nature of the beast.
Character Information
Norona, Wilderness Scout
Armored Stats: Pace: 11, Toughness 10 (4)
PPE: 40/20

Bennies: 5

User avatar
Sierra Mackenzie
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Sierra Mackenzie » Tue May 01, 2018 4:05 am

Notice 5
Notice 1d6 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
***

Sierra finally managed to pull herself together, snorting a little bit. She wiped mud from her face, chortled, took a breath.

“I wasn’t laughing at you, T-Rex,” she assured the big dragon. She gave his massive leg a hug. “You didn’t know what you were saying. Even if you did, it was still funny.” She motioned for him to bring his head down and cupped his massive jaw, looking into his eyes. “We still cool, Ty?”

***

Sierra managed to clean off and settled in the Mountaineer as they traversed the swamp. It was hot and suffocating, even for Sierra, and she drank a lot of water.

“I’m gonna need to pee soon,” she commented to no one in particular.

Then Sierra felt the small hairs at the back of her neck tingle. She sat up, tense, alert, looking around. “I think something’s about to go wro--” she managed to get out before multiple roars split the air, and three tyrannosaurus rexes emerged from the jungle swamp around them, the size of Tyraxas.

Sierra gave a scream of terror.

"Protect yourself, and stay clear of the young. Do not kill the creatures. They only do what they have to do to protect their charges,” Jareb said.

Sierra turned to stare at the angel. “What the hell are you talking about? We’re just a snack to those things! I’m not even leaving the vehicle!” She’d be safe in here, right? But...Norona and Ty were out there with those things.

“Fuck me! Why do I always fall for unattainable guys,” Sierra murmured, climbing out of the Mountaineer.

Sierra’s tank top was cut low enough in the back to allow her flaming wings to flare to life safely. It was time to test out the fancy duds that Deezy had made her.

Sierra flew up close to the canopy, high enough to avoid the raging dinosaurs. She didn’t need to activate her fiery aura if they were trying to subdue. She gathered heat into her hands, intensifying it, though not fire. She threw great heat balls at the dinosaurs, stunning and disorienting them.
Psionics 2 Fail, 1 Wound (-8 difficulty, No Matter the Cost +4, triple cost)
Psionics 1d12-4 = 1: 5
Wild 1d6-4 = 1: 5
Benny reroll
Psionics 1d12-4 = 2: 6
Wild 1d6-4 = -2: 2
Unfortunately it didn’t seem like Sierra was helping much, and she got hit by Tyraxes’ thrashing wing and tail, sending her careening into a large tree.

“Ugh!” Sierra groaned as she splashed down into the water, sizzling and boiling.
Soak 5
Vigor 1d8 = 3: 3
Wild 1d8 = 1: 1
Rolled the wrong die for Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Sierra held up her hand, thumb up. “‘m ‘kay!” Then she groaned.

***
Conditions
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
ISP: 8/20
Bennies: 1/3
Adventure Card
  • Speedy Gonzales: Expend this card to gain +2 to your Pace for the rest of the scene.
Everything Burns
1d10 = 3: 3
3-10: Anything highly flammable burns.
6-10: Anything flammable burns.
8-9: Water boils away over 2d6 = 7: 3, 4 rounds.
10: Anything not flammable burns or melts (metal, stone, ceramic, etc) and water superheats and evaporates immediately.
Gear
Sierra’s pack is in the car.
Conditions
Sierra Character Sheet
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
Liquid Courage: Vigor d10, Toughness: 8, ignore 1 point of Wounds (1 hour)
ISP: 5/20
Bennies: 1/3
Adventure Card
  • Mechanical Malfunction: A device malfunctions in some way: guns jam, bow strings break, etc. The device can be fixed by a Repair roll at -4 and 10 minutes work.


Everything Burns
[dice]1d10[/dice]
3-10: Anything highly flammable burns.
6-10: Anything flammable burns.
8-9: Water boils away over [dice]2d6[/dice] rounds.
10: Anything not flammable burns or melts (metal, stone, ceramic, etc) and water superheats and evaporates immediately.
Gear
Sierra’s pack is in the car.

User avatar
Conrad
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:01 am

Re: sorry

Post by Conrad » Thu May 03, 2018 4:36 am

Notice
1d8 = 3: 3
1d6 = 5: 5

He flips a switch and you can hear the environmental systems kick in on the ATV.

As the dinosaurs surged forward, the two vehicles backed away as best they could
“Don’t waste the ammo, use laser weapons."
Both Jameson and Conrad pop the hatches on their respective vehicles and stood up carrying either a laser rifle or a plasma ejector, aiming at the feet of the Dinosaurs, trying to give it incentive to back off

No successes
OOC Comments
Shooting 1d8-4 = 0: 4
Wild dice 1d6-4 = -1: 3

Shooting 1d8-6 = -1: 5
Wild dice 1d6-6 = -2: 4

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Pursuit » Fri May 04, 2018 2:16 pm

Unbeknownst to the rest of the SET, Tomorrow Legion command sent in a new ally to help the mission along. Unfortunately, he arrived in Nashville only hours after the party left, and Veritas wasn't able to rift him to the same spot in the swamp as everyone else. He has wandered for miles through the muck looking for the 32nd before hearing the roars of angry T-Rexes and the sounds of battle nearby!

Welcome to Our New Player!
Toshira the Cybermonk will be joining you in play. John, please narrate your character coming on scene and his actions once he arrives. Follow the same rules as everyone else for the Quick Combat. Good luck!

User avatar
Toshiro 'Cybermonk'
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 9:19 am

Re: 4. Welcome to Jurassic (and Triassic and Cretaceous) Par

Post by Toshiro 'Cybermonk' » Sat May 05, 2018 9:35 pm

Mechanics
Notice 1d8+2 = 3: 1
Wild 1d6+2 = 6: 4

CK 1d8 = 5: 5
Wild 1d6 = 3: 3

Survival 1d10-4 = -3: 1 (+2 from woodsman, +2 from Serious Business, -8 scene modifer)
Wild 1d6-4 = 1: 5
EE (running total) 1d6+3 = 8: 5 (+2 from Elan)

-1 Bennie for EE
+1 Bennie for Raise!

1 Wound
2 Successes

Toshiro had been wandering through the jungle for hours when he finally picked up tracks that looked like they could belong to the 32nd set. Its not often that you find dragon and human tracks together. Sticking to better ground than the 32nd seemed to, Toshiro quickly makes up for lost time. Just as the tracks seem to be getting fresh, Toshiro hears a set of deafening roars ahead of him in the direction of the SET.

He makes a full speed dash in the direction of the SET, a terrible idea in a jungle, and something he pulls off only because of his cybernetically enhanced reflexes. Even so, he manages to get a few good lacerations from low handing branches.

He bursts in on a raging battle between the SET and two full grown and one juvenile T-Rexes. Without thinking he levels his shotgun at the closest Rex, when he realizes that the SET seems to be making a special effort not to kill the creatures. Toshiro shakes his head at their foolishness, but doesn't want to give a bad first impression with set, so he lowers his shotgun.

Just then Deezy's HYPERBOLIC SLUMBER SLAMMER device puts down one of the Rexes, and gives Toshiro an idea. He frantically searches the surrounding vegetation until he finds the plant he is looking for. He rips a few of stems from the bush, careful to keep the plant away from his biological parts, and rubs the dripping sap over his chain greatsword.

Not as potent as it would be if I had time to concentrate it, but it will have to do.

With the blade covered in the natural sedative, Toshiro engages the remaining adult Rex, making as many shallow cuts on the creatures flanks as he can, hoping that with enough time, the sedative will take effect. Because of the creatures size, it takes a while, and the dinosaur manages to hit Toshiro crosswise with its tail flinging him across the jungle and crashing into a tree. However, Toshiro can see that the creature's coordination is deteriorating, and doesn't engage it further.
OOC Comments

Toshiro's Character Sheet
Wounds: 0/4; Fatigue: 0/3;

Parry: 6
Toughness: 21(12 MDC)
Active Effects Chips: +1 DT Survival, +1 DT Shooting

Notable Edges: Woodsman, Quick, Brawny, I know a Guy, Nerves of Steel, Danger Sense, Arcane Resistance, Ace, Combat Ace, Elan


Bennies: 3/3
+1 for 'excellent writing'
-1 For EE on Fear check
-2 for Soaking vehicle damage

Aventure Cards:
Villianous verbosity: Play on an opposing wild card to cause them to lose their action talking about there master plan.
Renown: Play after some heroic event. Gain +1 charisma with people who have heard of you.

Edit Signature

Locked

Return to “32nd SET Adventure Forum”