Step Brother to Henri.
Oleksandr Mads Gierov
17 year old human male
(Lucretia, Markus, Bane, Kesslan, Libertas, Olek) Oleksandr - Shifter
Art of Oleksandr in full armor and shadow cloak.
Player Name: Dan (Lars)
Note: Fell is Primary Account. Olek is a RETIRED Account.
GUILD OF THE GIFTED NPC.
Character Name: Olek Mads Gierov
Race: 17 year old Human Male
Iconic Framework: Shifter
Advances Left: 0
- Agility d4
- Smarts d6
- Spirit d6
- Strength d6
- Vigor d8
Toughness: 6+1 Cloak =7 / In Armor & Cloak: 16 (9)
- Fighting d8
- Notice d6
- Speak Dragonese d4
- Stealth d8 plus Shadow Cloak +2
- Survival d4
- Persuasion d8
- Spellcast d12 (starts at d8) +1 from Book
- Knowledge Arcane d10
- Major: Code of Honor - Honor is very important to your character. He keeps his word, won’t abuse or kill prisoners, and generally tries to operate within his world’s particular notion of proper gentlemanly behavior.
- Minor: Wanted by FoM - The Federation is a mass of many kingdoms, in particular in Shadowvillage, Olek is hated and wanted dead or alive by the lord of that town.
- Minor: Vow to Help the Legion, they saved his bacon.
- (Born a Hero) Free Human Edge: Ley Line Phasing
- (Born a Hero) Hind: Ley Line Gate
- (Born a Hero) Hind: Rich (Trade two rolls for one = Shadow Cloak).
- Traded 2 for 1 from Filthy Rich: Elan - When you spend a Benny on a Trait roll (including Soak rolls), add +2 to the final total.
- Advance 1 Novice: Filthy Rich (Trade two rolls for one = Elan).
- HJ: Rapid Recharge
- HJ: Improved Rapid Recharge
- Shifter: Master of Magic Edge
PPE: 30 plus 10 from Staff.
Recharge 1 PPE per 5 minutes.
Detailed Information on each Spell / Shifter Power posted below.
- By Spell or hitting someone with Magic Book.
- Adventure Survival Armor (TW)
- Armor Value: +4 Armor +3 additional Armor from Filthy Rich
- Strength Minimum: NA
- Environment Protection: Partial, has enchantments to make most uncomfortable environmental conditions easier to deal with (+2 on related Vigor checks). Note: Has a Face Mask he can wear with 30 minutes of O2 storage.
- Weight: 5 lb
- Cost: 10,500
- NG S2 Survival Pack
- Face Mask with 30 minutes O2 supply
- Cold iron stake 3", Iron stake 3", silver spike 3", wood stake3", salt, and garrote wire.
- 2,000 credits (20,000 spent on cloak to add a novice power, 5,000 spent on minor)
- Free Edge (Human): Ley Line Phasing
- Initial Advances: (From Hindrances): Ley Line Gate, Rich
- Cybernetic Modifications: NA
- Class (Shifter): Master of Magic
- From FR trade 2 for 1: Elan
- Heroes Journey: Rapid Recharge, Improved Rapid Recharge
- Novice 1 Advance: Filthy Rich
- Novice 2 Advance:
- Novice 3 Advance:
- Novice 4 Advance:
- Seasoned 1 Advance:
- Seasoned 2 Advance:
- Seasoned 3 Advance:
- Seasoned 4 Advance:
- Veteran 1 Advance:
- Veteran 2 Advance:
- Veteran 3 Advance:
- Veteran 4 Advance:
- Heroic 1 Advance:
- Heroic 2 Advance:
- Heroic 3 Advance:
- Heroic 4 Advance:
- Legendary 1 Advance:
- Legendary 2 Advance:
- Legendary 3 Advance:
- Legendary 4 Advance:
HERO’S JOURNEY (FIVE ROLLS)
Shifters gain three rolls on any of the following tables: Enchanted Items & Mystic Gadgets, Education, Experience & Wisdom, and Magic & Mysticism. They also get two rolls on any table of their choice, except Psionics.
Roll 1: Enchanted Items 1, Staff (In Book form)
Roll 2: Magic & Mysticism 8, Spell.
Roll 3: Magic & Mysticism 11, Rapid Recharge.
Roll 4: Magic & Mysticism 9, Spell.
Roll 5: Magic & Mysticism 12, Imp. Rapid.
Background Narrative Hook roll: 15, Nearly Done For. Your character was nearly dead, or staring down the barrel of an impossibly large gun, or otherwise facing the end of his journey when the tide suddenly turned and his fat was pulled out of the fire. Someone from the Tomorrow Legion rescued him, which not only leaves him with a debt, but an interesting story to tell. See Story below.
SHIFTING TIME AND SPACE
The keys to the Shifter’s power are his natural gifts with manipulating Rifts and ley line energy, especially when it comes to opening a portal to another realm and bringing forth entities to serve his will. Shifters have the power to control Rifts, unequaled by any other arcane practitioner, and they have an inherent sense of dimensions - the one they are in and any they might perceive through a Rift. The most important and well-known power of the Shifter is his capability with summoning magic, and his gift for controlling that which he summons for extended periods of time. Shifterswere in high demand during the War of Tolkeen, especially when the leaders of that doomed nation determined to bring forth whatever it might take to defeat the Coalition. Shifters are also well-received in Dunscon’s Federation of Magic, for he sees the great power in a nigh-limitless source of immensely powerful soldiers from beyond.
The study of the arcane is essential to a Shifter’s success, and all Shifters are powerful Spell casters. While they don’t possess the same variety of spell knowledge their counterparts among other disciplines might, they don’t hurt for essential power, either. Shifters train in techniques for both diminishing the power of their opponents and turning that power against them. Shifters are Masters of Magic, have the Arcane Background (Magic), and choose from the following list of powers: armor, banish, barrier, blast, bolt, burrow, burst, conceal arcana, damage field, Darksight, deflection, dispel, drain Power Points, entangle, environmental protection, farsight, fear, intangibility, invisibility, light/obscure, quickness, slow, smite, speak language, speed, stun, summon ally, teleport, and warrior’s gift. They can choose any Trappings available for their powers.
SHIFTER ABILITIES AND BONUSES
Shifters possess exceptional arcane knowledge and the power to master Rifts, summon creatures from beyond our reality, and exert tremendous will and control over them.
- Arcane Background (Magic): Shifters are mighty spellcasters, starting with three powers of their choice (as well as specific ones, listed below). They begin with a Spellcasting skill of d8 And 15 PPE.
- Bind the Summoned: A Shifter can bind one or more summoned beings to his service for an extended period of time. He does this by reducing his maximum PPE by the amount needed to originally summon the creature. The creature remains bound to his service until he releases it or the summoned entity is Incapacitated (in either case, returning the creature to its home Dimension). Shifters may only have one bound entity per Rank (one at Novice, two at Seasoned). For example, a Seasoned Shifter could have two summoned allies, each costing 4 PPE to summon, bound to him; his maximum PPE is reduced by 8 until he releases the entities or they are Incapacitated. At that point, he recovers his PPE normally. Bound allies are treated as though they were summoned with a raise, which grants them the Hardy ability.
- Dimension Sense: With a successful Notice roll, a Shifter can determine relevant Information about a dimension he is in or one he views through a Rift. This includes hostile environmental conditions, how closely related the dimension is to Rifts Earth, and whether or not it’s a temporal shift.
- Expanded Awareness: Shifters can use detect arcana at will, with no PPE cost, as a free action.
- Master of Magic: A Shifter has all the Mega Powers for his spells per the Edge Master of Magic.
- Master Summoner: All Shifters gain the summon ally power automatically, and the duration for them is 5 minutes (1/5 minutes). This duration extends to the Mega Power version, force multiplication.
- PPE Manipulation: All Shifters have the drain Power Points power (and the PPE thief Mega Power) automatically.
- Rift Mastery: Shifters gain a +4 on all efforts to open and manipulate Rifts (see Characters, Ley Lines, and Rifts in the Savage Rifts® Game Master’s Handbook). They also gain +2 when using the banish Power.
The Shifter is the living epitome of what the Coalition States hate and fear about magic, making him Target Number One for all who hate the arcane arts. He also dances a fine line between arcane mastery and corruption from the very forces he wields.
- Corruption: Many of the entities a Shifter might bring forth (with summon ally or force multiplication) have strong wills and a desire to corrupt the being who summons them. Each time the Shifter uses either power with a being the Game Master feels is evil or corrupt in nature, she might call for an opposed Spirit check between the being and the Shifter. If the being wins, the Shifter gains a point of Corruption. Future Spirit contests with other evil summoned beings suffer a penalty equal to the Shifter’s current Corruption; when a Shifter gains a number of Corruption points equal to half his Spirit die type, he’s become a slave to darker external powers (and no longer a playable character).
- Cybernetics: Such technology creates havoc for the flow of energy a Shifter relies upon, imposing −1 to the Spellcasting skill for each point of Strain.
- Enemies: Shifters are automatically enemies of the Coalition States and shot on sight. Even those CS soldierswho might have less zealous attitudes toward most casters will likely open fire if they know they’re dealing with a Shifter. As with all arcane wielders, those Shifters who refuse to swear fealty to Lord Dunscon may well be enemies of the Federation, too.
SHIFTER STARTING GEAR
Adventure Survival Armor, NG-33 Laser Pistol, NG-S2 Survival Pack, 1d4 × 1000 credits.
Shifters can acquire a number of special abilities similar to those of Ley Line Walkers, using the Iconic Edge approach. They work the same way, but are acquired through advancement rather than being part of the core Iconic Framework. Treat the following as Iconic Edges for Shifters (see Ley Line Walker Abilities and Bonuses in The Tomorrow Legion Player’s Guide), with the indicated requirements to add them:
- Ley Line Magic Mastery: A Shifter dedicated to her arcane craft must be Seasoned and havea Spellcasting die of d10 to take this as an Iconic Edge.
- Ley Line Rejuvenation: Like Ley Line Walkers, it seems entirely reasonable that Shifters could call upon the energies of ley lines and Rifts to restore themselves. Shifters can obtain this as an Iconic Edge at Seasoned.
- Ley Line Sense: This should be a fairly easy one for a Shifter to pick up, should the player decide to expand the character’s sensory abilities. The Rank requirement is Novice and the Shifter must have Knowledge (Arcana) at d6; Shifters with a less scholarly approach won’t be as likely to study the ley lines.
- Ley Line Transmission: This is more commonly associated with the Ley Line Walker, but Shifters understand much of the same magic. Veteran Rank is the only requirement.
- In addition to these, Shifters may also take the Ley Line Phasing and Ley Line Gate Iconic Edges from The Tomorrow Legion Player’s Guide.