1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post Reply
User avatar
KahlessNestor
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:02 am

1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by KahlessNestor » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:44 am

Date: September 4, 109 PA
Time: 0408
Weather: Normal for season (warm); light wind, heavy rain
Location: Fort Hope (Omaha, NE)
Ley Line: Very Large (three quarters mile wide, 2000 feet tall, 75 miles long), stretches 75 miles north of the fort (Whiting, IA)
Scene modifiers:
  • Light: Dim -1 (ley line is quite bright)
  • Visibility: -2 from the rain
Round 1

***

The remainder of the trip upriver was relatively uneventful. Night fell a couple hours after leaving the village. The mercenaries and civilians settled down for the night, though the mercenaries, of course, set up sentries on their barges. The tow crew settled into their bunks as well, except for the pilot and a lone gunner up top on watch. Our heroes could set their watch, or not, as they wished.

After hours of travel, on the horizon could be seen the distinctive bright blue glow of a ley line on the west bank of the river. Captain Norris came up on the deck of the towboat and roused his crew as they approached what looked to be a jetty built out into the river near an earthworks fortification.

Suddenly from out of the darkness, shapes materialize out of thin air and a gruff voice yells a war cry as brodkil suddenly appear, or rise from the tall grass, attacking the barges and the earthworks. Laserfire lances out in the darkness from the demons and the soldiers in the fort, and the mercenaries and boat crew scramble for their arms. Several brodkill leap onto the barges in the midst of the civilians. Others fire at the barges from the shore, taking advantage of the complete lack of cover on the river vehicle, and others attack the fort.
Instructions
This will be a hybrid Quick Combat/Mass Battle.
Quick Combat rules:
  • Scene modifier: -5 (-2 surprise, -2 caught in the open, +2 superior numbers, -1 illumination, -2 rain)
  • Target: 17 Successes=Wounds
  • Pick your favorite combat skill or Knowledge (Battle), add in the modifier and include Wounds and Fatigue. The modifier can be mitigated by your own skills, equipment, and edges. (HJ staff bonus, cybernetics bonuses, marksmanship, etc.). The GM will roll for allied participants in the combat (Extras, by group) after players have gone.
    • Special Edges: Danger Sense, Sixth Sense, Quick, Level Headed, and Improved Level Headed each give +1 to your roll.
  • For every success you come up short, I will roll 4d6 Wounds and assign a wound to a random character (PCs, Allies, and Extras). Soaking is permitted as normal once wounds are assigned. Coming up short in the combat also means you get to go another round.
  • Damage is not being tracked here for the enemy. It's a straight number of successes task, so don't bother with damage rolls. Resources, however, will be tracked.
    • A critical failure means you were not able to help the group succeed. In fact, your bungling cost them one success!
    • On a failure, you use up 3d6 power points spent or charges from your weapon, as appropriate.
    • Success, you did a good job, maybe not a legendary victory, but you did what was required to save the day. You spent 2d6 ammo or power points.
    • Success with raise, your contribution is legendary. You spent 1d6 ammo or power points. Take a benny and narrate your awesomeness!
    • No matter what you roll, please leave something for everyone else to do.



***
Combat Notes
Initiative:

Karsk (Quick)
Charlemagne (Cyberkinetic -2)
Thomas
Brianna
Nazo (Danger Sense, Sixth Sense, Quick)
Vik
Ashley

Enemies:
8 Brodkil
6 Cyber-brodkil
1 Brodkil leader WC

Allies and Extras:
Bill Sandyman (WC) and family (5 Extras, Civilian stats)
Daniel Cazier (WC)
Zacra Daeli (WC)
Liz Urzenski (WC)
William Norris (WC)
Charlize WC (Danger Sense, Quick)
10 Barge Crew (Bandit stats, Extras)
30 Mercenaries (Soldier stats, Extras)
60 Laborers (Civilian stats, Extras)
Map
***
GM Notes
GM Bennies: 7/7
GM Notes
GM Bennies: 8/8
Whiskey Pete 2/2
Billy Duchesne 2/2
Melanie Duchesne 2/2

User avatar
Nazo
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:28 am

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by Nazo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Brodkill... I should have told someone they were nearby... The spirits of these lands speak in funny little sing song voices and are hard for me to sometimes understand. It was not until they were screaming, in an ever rising crescendo, Brodkill that it hit me: we were about to be attacked. What little time I had prior I spent making sure the children and families near me were well tended and getting dressed. Master Kittito once had the unfortatue experience of fighting of 2 warlord’s borg battle bots while in his kimono... Watashi wa fuku o kimasu.

Nazo leaped from once family to the next, from one father, one mother, one brother... Too many, too many injured, too many dying... The spirits call to me in their voice rising up louder than before. I am missing something... Ahh the pitter patter of rain... Soft and light, then it comes in a wet dagger drove... The heavens cry blinding me further. Master Kittito told me it would be hard out in the world, he told me incliment weather would not be my friend. He was right.

Nazo finally stood her arms akimbo, and her armor sinched with hat well covering her face. She paused next to Bill Sandyman who along with the rest of the Sandyman clan had grabbed a couple spare laser rifles to do battle with the Brodkill. Nazo leaped behind the bulkhead of the barge just in time to avoid the rail gun fire from the brodkill known as Dead Meat. Its large bulbous red head was covered in gore of soldiers and other unfortunate victims. It snarled unloading its massive 200 pound rail gun pooring hot lead into the Sandman clan.

Boom goes the head shot. Bill’s head was ripped in half. His crying wife’s spleen chucked out onto the wet deck wriggling at my feet. His brother, well he just jumped over board seeking to save his own skin. The kids... I could barely make them out in the jagged pericing rain. They were wailing for their perants and stopped abruptly when a 1000 rounds of hot metal ripped them in half. What was I suppose to do against such carnage, what could I do? I could bring them back, I could bring them all back from the place between the living and dead. That is just what I did!
15 Psionics, 3 successes, 7 ISP spent
Psionics, +3( from danger, sixth, and quick) (Her armor cancels out the illumination, she also sees via radar) so the -5 becomes -1, and spending extra ppts she gets a +4 to her psionics roll via leyline and major psionics 1d8+3 = 9: 6 Benny for EF 1d6+2 = 6: 4Wild 1d6+3 = 5: 2
1d6 = 3: 3 ppts
Twice now, Thrice, four times brought back only to be butchered by the skill of Dead Meat... Even in my land his handy work is known. I can only keep this up for so long, and yet I dare not leave these people alone. This particularly ugly Brodkill is not the only one out here. Perhaps the man who can help me is the same as the one who knows my secret. Where is Vik, blast this rain! Dead Meat comes barrling down on the terrified Sandyman clan once more with a fresh railgun round casister slapped into place. The bulbous red demon whispers something that is lost into the pitter patter of the down pour. Nazo cries out moments before his railgun flashes hot with round after round of little pellets of death...”Vik!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Fear: Spirit +2, 1d6+2 = 3: 1 wild 1d6+2 = 8: 6
Combat Info
Toughness: 16(8), Parry: 7, Pace: 8
Active Edges: Sixth Sense, Brave, Elan, quick
Active Powers:

Bennies: 3/3
+1 post rate
+1 interlude
-1 Communion
+1 for spooky watch
-2 for notice checks
Psynetic Crystal amplifier and augmenter
Psynetic Crystal Amplifier (Patron Item)
Image
These strange devices were smuggled out of gargoyle infested Poland. Created by the mysterious Angel of Death, they are works of exquisite craftsmanship, performing far better than any other known psynetic devices on the market. Several prominent Cyber-Docs have investigated the devices and are stumped as to how the truly work.
Crystalline Nano-Amplifier:
  • • † More ISP means more power to work with, and your character has it. She gains +10 ISP to his base.

Crystalline Augmenter:
  • • † Enhanced Senses: +2 on Notice and to the use of Detect Arcana.
†: Modifier from being attached to head and worn.
Gladdius MDC Exoskeleton
Choice of armor, reduce str min and add +1 armor.

NG-EX10 “Gladius” Light Exoskeleton Battle Armor
  • +8MDC(increased by 1 pt) Armor and +2 Toughness, as well as providing
  • Strength Minimum: N/A
  • Environmental Protection: Full
  • Weight: 80 lbs
  • Note: The suit also grants the wearer d12+2 Strength and +2 Pace. The armor, while powered, doesn’t have a Strength Minimum. A wearer suffers a −2 to Stealth checks and any tasks requiring subtle or delicate movement.
  • The armor, while powered, ignores the d6(decreased by one die type)Strength Minimum for physical actions but not arcane skill rolls.
Celestial Blade
32E5FCFD-07AB-4CA5-871A-490D0C48AFE2.jpeg
Celestial Blade:
A normal hilt of the most mundane makings until gripped by one who is spiritually in tune. In the hands of a mystic this weapon is a holy relic of unimaginable power. Its blade is made of pure holy light and the hilt is transformed into one of pure silver with a flourishing guard. Some say Isis herself was involved in its creation or perhaps a chang-ku in Japan. Other’s say it is an unlikely gift from a millennium tree. No matter its origion, demons, vampires, and other super natural evil must beware the weilder who comes at them with such a weapon.
  • Base Item: Chain Longsword, str+2d8, AP 2 MD
    • Minor- Celestial Silver( must be a mystic to gain this trapping, and not broken your higher calling)
    • Minor- +1 fighting
    • Major- Quickness “Exalted Exuberance”( Jazz trapping +1 ppe for +2pace, and raise 1 die increase to agility)
    • Major- Warriors Gift(Heroic) “ Fate’s Fury” ( +2 ppe, On a success, you gain +1 Parry; On a Raise, INSTEAD of a boost to Parry, you gain +1 Die-type to Fighting)
    PPE: 10pts, powers use arcane skill or spirit players choice.

User avatar
Charlemagne
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by Charlemagne » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Combat! - Total 3 Successes
Fighting at -4 (racial low light vision negates illumination penalty - add back in if incorrect)
1d12-4 = 5: 9

Benny EE Fighting with prior and Elan
1d6+11 = 16: 5 -- keystroke error - this should have been +7, not +11 (looked at prior die roll, not final result) total of 12

WD Fighting
1d6-4 = -3: 1

Forgot Fear check first
1d10 = 9: 9

WD Spirit
1d6 = 2: 2

ISP spent: 1d6 = 6: 6
Charlemagne rarely went anywhere that he didn't fly. Dismounting from the barge was no exception. As such, he was aloft when the brodkil began their attacks. Spotting the various emplacements of their demonic foes, he calls out enemy troop positions and fire assignments. The mercenaries on the barges respond well to his commands, mowing down numerous brodkil. As the battle hits a rhythm, Charlemagne dives down into a large cluster of brodkil, twin psi-swords blazing. Parrying and feinting one way, slashing and hacking the other, the Lyn-Srial looks like a tasmanian devil-style whirlwind of wings and energy blades. No matter how close they get, or how many of them surround him, their vibroswords, chainswords, and laser rifles simply can't find a bead on the cyber-knight. Even the odd slash that lands simply glances off the knight's formidable armor.

Finally, a large group clusters around him, beginning to hem him in. He adopts a more defensive stance, drawing even more of them closer. Even the strength of his armor and his amazing avoidance of all things technological can't save him. That's when he calls in a barrage on his position, using the flailing psi-swords as a marker. The mercenaries open up with a heavy volley, pelting the area in a shower of violence and destruction. Charlemagne, however, manages to beat his wings at the right moment, finding a foothold on the shoulders of one of the larger brodkil specimens, then using the demonic perch to catapult himself into the air, out of reach of the blades of the demons. A heartbeat later, the same brodkil is cut down by a burst of railgun rounds, along with several of his cohorts.

Charlemagne swoops again around the battlefield, updating positions and troop strengths, directing the battle to maximize impact and minimize losses. "These heathens shall not carry this day. We will be victorious!"
Charlemagne
Charlemagne
Bennies: 5 (-1 pre-game contacting, +1 intro RP bonus, +1 friendly fired slumber, -1 EE Persuasion/resource negotiation, +1 taking the incapacitator blast, +1 brainburn error, +1 GM birthday, -1 unshake)
Current Status:
Wounds/Fatigue: 0 / 0
Parry: 8, -2 to hit with technological attacks, -4 to hit from Deflection
Toughness: 20 (8) (cyber armor active)
ISP: 13 / 20
Active Powers: Deflection (with raise, -4 to hit), Boost Fighting (with raise, d12+2, adds +2 Pace), cyber armor, twin psi swords (MD)
Pertinent Edges: Improved Frenzy, Command, Champion, Improved Psi-Sword (Str + 3 x Spirit, AP 8 or AP 4 for double blades), Elan
Adventure Cards:
  • Get A Clue: Play this card for a clue from the Game Master for some advice or a hint on how to resolve a current predicament or problem.
Armor: Cyber-Knight Heavy Armor
  • Barrier
  • +8 Armor
  • +2 Toughness
  • Full Environmental Protection
  • Powered by 1 PPE/hour
Weapon(s) in hand:
Psi-Swords (2)
  • Damage: Str + 3x Spirit
  • AP 8 for single blade, AP 4 for double blades
  • MD with 2 ISP
Edit Signature

User avatar
Vik
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by Vik » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:45 pm

Shooting 9, Success with a Raise; Spirit 8 vs. Fear
Shooting is 1d8, +2 for armor mods, +2 Machine Maestro, -4 various scene penalties (armor offsets the illumination penalty)

Shooting 1d8 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Benny for Extra Effort 1d6+5 = 9: 4 = Success with a raise. Get the Benny back.
PPE used 1d6 = 6: 6 Would this Ace? Gonna say no, but will roll more if needed.

EDIT: Fear check
Spirit 1d8 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
Burn a Benny for Extra Effort 1d6+3 = 8: 5 = Success
"Ruddy warble-crackers, can't even land a boat in this country without a buncha buggerin' Hellboy wannabes tryna' eat people like they was bleedin' pasties from a truck," Vik says, motioning for Charlize to stay down. "Stay 'ere, love, before you bust them stitches or somefin' from whatever ol' Naz did to yer insides."

Speaking of Nazo, Vik has only just jumped off the boat with the Vickers in hand when he hears the little roof-jumper calling for help, back toward the front of the boat.

"Bloody hell-nappies, minute I stick a perfect Platoon landing in the muck and now I gotta turnabout and scarper back up the rotting rope-ladder like a daft geezer as left his polished chompers onna nightstand."

Still, he owed Nazo big for saving Charlize, so back it was, climbing over the rail before readying the Vickers again and charging into the sheets of rain toward the bow of the boat. Just then, ol' Naz materializes out of the mist, doing some chop-socky two-step while trying to herd the blond Sandyman tribe out of the way, each one of 'em looking like their clothes had been sent through a meat-grinder and then slapped back on, still steaming with somebody's guts.

"Oy, Naz, what's the marbles ... Hairy shite on biscuits that's an ugly stump-humper," Vik declares, as the brodkil Dead Meat looms out of the rain. "He looks like one a them genital warts they warn you about when your curlies start coming in, like cauliflower all covered in dried curry, or dog sick on bubble wrap or somefin.' Talk about horrorshow. I think I might have to sicked a little in my helmet. Say, has he gotta rail gun?"

DAKKA-DAKKA-DAKKA-DAKKA-DAKKA

There's a spray of telekinetic bolts as Vik unloads the Vickers, reducing old Dead Meat to Ground Chuck.

<<Oy, Tommy, if you ain't run off again, tell Karsk we got some victuals for his Dewback. Leastways hope soup sits okay with him.>>
Vik Donnager
Quick Stats
Human Techno-Wizard
Bennies: 3/3 + 2/2
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (1d12+2), Vigor d6 +2
Charisma: -; Pace: 6 (8) (1d6); Parry: 5; Toughness: 17 (8) or 21 (12) with amulet;
Hindrances: Big Mouth; Device Dependent; Enemies (Coalition and True Federation); Gearhead Geek (Quirk-OCD tapping); Overconfident; Stubborn.
Notice d6, Persuasion d4, Common Knowledge d8
Edges and Abilities of Note: Arcane Background (Weird Science) (Devices malfunction on a roll of 1); Arcane Machinist (Gadgeteer) (four times/session, as an action, create a device with 10 PPE, +5 PPE on a raise, using any TW power, -2 per rank above own); Elan; Luck + Great Luck; Machine Maestro (+1 to rolls with electronics and machines, +2 with arcane devices. Doubled out of combat); Master of Magic.
PPE: 20/20
Active Effects:
Adventure Cards: 53 - Riled Up Play after sustaining a wound; your attacks cause +2 damage for the remainder of the scene.

User avatar
Ashley Logan
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by Ashley Logan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:26 am

At the scene of chaos they arrived to Ashley felt a sick resignation settle over her, followed by a hot kindling of anger deep at the base of her stomach. Everywhere she turned, demons attacking people. Monsters who thought they had nothing to fear.

The would learn to fear.

She stepped off the barge and ignited. Wreathed in flame, she rose a foot or so off the ground. Then came the rain of fire. Shining meteors that launched from Ashley in rapid succession, leaving greasy black contrails in their wakes and exploding in massive blossoms of orange and yellow. Yet, as fast as the flames lanced skyward they were extinguished, leaving only mangled, burned Brodkil corpses in their wake. Where friendlies were mixing up with the demons, she used precision shots that didn't explode.

Return fire painted lines of laser light through the smoke and dust, scraping over Ashley's flaming body...doing nothing. The demons that tried to rush at her were cut down without mercy. Even those who used their magic to turn invisible were not proof to her now. She had learned her lesson well against the Splugorth...
Rolls: Fright 9, Psionics 14! (success + 2 raises)
Fright check 1d10 = 9: 9 or 1d6 = 1: 1

Combat modifier -5; spending 4 ISP for +4 to psionics roll.
Psionics! 1d12-1 = 4: 5 or 1d6-1 = 5: 6
Ace wild 1d6 = 6: 6
ANOTHER Ace 1d6 = 3: 3

She has Detect/Conceal arcana now. :)
1d6+4 = 5: 1 ISP spent total

User avatar
Karsk
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:09 am

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by Karsk » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:07 pm

Fright check 6
OOC Comments
1d8 = 6: 6
1d6 = 1: 1
Karsk was preparing Toad for disembarking when the attack started. Toad had been cooped up on the barge too long and needed to roam free on the plains for a bit.

As the Brodkil launched their attack, Karsk was irritated more than scared.

Not even had time for feast for Lunch yet. More meat for the larder.

Psionics 8 success and 1 raise
OOC Comments
Combat modifier -5; spending 4 ISP for +4 to psionics roll and quick - no modifier

1d10 = 6: 6+2 forgot that Karsk has natural low light vision
wild dice 1d6 = 4: 4
There was no time for subtlety, not that Karsk was a subtle person, but even if he had been, it really wasn't.

The Brodkil leapt onto the barge right next to Karsk and Toad and deemed Karsk the bigger threat. That thought lasted a few seconds as Toad stomped its foot, shaking the barge and sending the two Brodkil on the barge railings flailing into the water.

Toad Strength 10 success and 1 raise
OOC Comments
1d12+1 = 11: 10
Karsk reached out with his mind as laser blasts flashed over his head. The water in the river churned and a wave of water scooped two of the Brodkil off the shore and into the water.

The four Brodkil underwater found the river fighting their efforts to resurface, so much so that they were unable to surface for air and forced into the silt at the moment, silt pouring into their mouths as they were unable to breathe.

User avatar
Thomas
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by Thomas » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:53 am

Spellcasting 4 = 1 success
Spellcasting d8+1, scene -5 =d8-4
Spellcasting 1d8-4 = 1: 5
Wild 1d6-4 = 1: 5

Extra Effort 1d6+1 = 4: 3

PPE Spent 2d6 = 9: 3, 6

.

Thomas sees the monsters coming out of the rain and attacking and immediately looks for a place to hide. Sliding around behind a bench he conceals himself in invisibility and reaches out with his amulets power. Once he seizes control of one of the more powerful broidkil he directs it efforts to disrupt the others, immediately attacks other brodkil until he is killed. Then seeing a large female brodkil covered in cybernetics he repeats the actions securing her aid and asking her to attack her comrades. The whole time he is working Thomas is doing everything he can to stay out of sight.

“The fricking battles. What the hell are we doing out here. I could have stayed safe and only had to risk battle once a year at most in the Castle, what the hell do they want everyone out here getting killed for.” His pessimism comes through as the complains about the situation and again being forced into a battle situation. He starts thinking maybe it is time to learn some healing magic or research something that can help keep him alive like an invulnerability spell. The way Charlemagne is leading this team they will all be dead by the end of the week. Why can't we just run from some of these battles. No need to fight every thing out here.


Condition
Charisma +4 (Persuasion d8+4)
Parry 5 (1)
Armor 15 (10)

Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Personal PPE: 31/20
Staff PPE: 10/10
Amulet PPE: 10/10

Active Effects
  • Elemental Mastery
Bennies 3
  • 3 Reset of Quarter
    +1 Post rate
    -1 Extra Effort

User avatar
KahlessNestor
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:02 am

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by KahlessNestor » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:13 am

Date: September 4, 109 PA
Time: 0408
Weather: Normal for season (warm); light wind, heavy rain
Location: Fort Hope (Omaha, NE)
Ley Line: Very Large (three quarters mile wide, 2000 feet tall, 75 miles long), stretches 75 miles north of the fort (Whiting, IA)
Scene modifiers:
Light: Dim -1 (ley line is quite bright)
Visibility: -2 from the rain
Round 1.1

***

The brodkil are savage, but seemingly no less savage than the Trailblazers. Even as Nazo races to heal the Sandymans -- repeatedly -- Charlemagne leaps to the bank and cuts through their ranks with his psi-swords and Vik opens up with his TK machine gun. Ashley blazes through the horde, and Karsk drowns them in the river while Toad smashes their heads. Thomas, safely out of sight, using brodkil to kill brodkil.

Bill Sandyman and his family try and defend themselves as best they can.
Bill Fighting -1; fail
Fighting 1d4-5 = -1: 4
Wild 1d6-5 = -3: 2
Daniel Cazier, the cyber-doc, tries to cover his friend Ashley as best he can.
Daniel Shooting 2; fail
Shooting 1d8-4 = 2: 6
Wild 1d6-4 = 1: 5
Zacra Daeli fires at brodkil trying to flank Charlemagne.
Zacra Shooting 0; fail
Shooting 1d8-4 = -1: 3
Wild 1d6-4 = 0: 4
Liz Urzenski crouched down near where Thomas had turned invisible, firing her laser rifle.
Liz Shooting -2; fail
Shooting 1d8-4 = -2: 2
Wild 1d6-4 = -2: 2
William Norris, the towboat captain, returned fire at the brodkil.
Norris Shooting -3; crit fail; costs 1 success!
Shooting 1d4-4 = -3: 1
Wild 1d6-4 = -3: 1
Charlize stood back to back with Vik, keeping brodkil off of him as he fired his weapon.
Charlize Fighting 5; 1 success
Fighting 1d10-2 = 5: 7
Wild 1d6-2 = 2: 4
The barge crew opened up with the big gun, as well as their own rifles, taking cover behind the rail of the tow boat.
Barge crew Shooting -2; fail
Shooting 1d8-4 = -2: 2
The mercenaries also laid down fire.
Mercenary Shooting 1; fail
Shooting 1d8-4 = 1: 5
The laborers the team had recruited did what they could, fighting with knives or whatever weapons they could.
Laborers Fighting -1
Fighting 1d4-2 = -1: 1
From the fort, the commander of the garrison barked orders to his troops, and they returned fire at the brodkils’ flanks.
Commander K. Battle 3; fail
K. Battle 1d8-3 = 3: 6
Wild 1d6-3 = 0: 3
Garrison Shooting 3; fail
Shooting 1d8-4 = 3: 7
Battle outcome
You were 1 success short. I won’t send the battle into another round, since you will easily get that success.
Wounds 4d6 = 11: 3, 6, 1, 1

Charlemagne takes 1 Wound - you may Soak.
Brianna takes 1 Wound - you may Soak
Charlize takes 1 Wound
Two Laborers are dead.
Zacra takes 1 Wound
Lt. Winston takes 1 Wound
Two Mercenaries are dead.
Daniel takes 1 Wound
One garrison soldier is dead.

Charlize Soak 3; fails
Vigor 1d10 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2

Zacra Soak 4; soaks 1
Vigor 1d8 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4

Lt. Winston Soak 5; soaks 1
Vigor 1d8 = 5: 5
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1

Daniel Soak 13; soaks 3
Vigor 1d8 = 8: 8
Ace 1d8+8 = 13: 5
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6+6 = 9: 3
As the brodkil flee into the night, the garrison soldiers clamber from behind the earthworks to help tie up the barge and assess the wounded.

Charlize is favoring one leg where she caught a laser blast. She tries to play off the injury, not wanting to be an inconvenience.

Casualties were thankfully much lighter than they could have been had the Trailblazers not driven off the demons. Two of the laborers were dead, as well as two of the mercenaries. When the heroes finally clamber over the wall, they see the garrison soldiers are tending to one of their own dead, as well.

A large bulldog-headed dogboy in Huntsman armor approached them, holding out his hand. His armor looked like it had taken a hit, but he didn’t seem to be injured.

“Lieutenant Winston,” he introduced himself gruffly, giving a bit of a salute, even though he outranked the members of the Trailblazers. “I lead this motley crew.” He gestured toward his soldiers, who all formed up ranks. “Thanks for the assist. Not sure what we woulda done if you hadn’t shown up. Never seen that many brodkil before.

“Welcome to Fort Hope.”

You get your first look at the fort. It isn’t much more than the earthwork and dry moat situated near a dock. A few trees inside the compound provide observation points. Tents are the only shelter, and a supply dump appears to have been situated on the northwest side.
Fort Hope
Image
“Lieutenant Winston!” came a cry from outside the walls. “We found something!”

The dogboy stepped up on the earthworks and spotted a trio of his men that had been sent out to make sure the brodkil remained routed were dragging back a large, long crate.

Instructions
Feel free to write reactions to the battle, make your soak rolls, meet the men, investigate the crate, and just generally take stock of the fort. This is an RP time to wrap up your first adventure, getting to the fort. Congratulations!
***
Combat Notes
Initiative:

Karsk (Quick)
Charlemagne (Cyberkinetic -2)
Thomas
Brianna
Nazo (Danger Sense, Sixth Sense, Quick)
Vik
Ashley

Enemies:
8 Brodkil
6 Cyber-brodkil
1 Brodkil leader WC

Allies and Extras:
Bill Sandyman (WC) and family (5 Extras, Civilian stats)
Daniel Cazier (WC)
Zacra Daeli (WC)
Liz Urzenski (WC)
William Norris (WC)
Charlize WC (Danger Sense, Quick)
10 Barge Crew (Bandit stats, Extras)
28 Mercenaries (Soldier stats, Extras)
58 Laborers (Civilian stats, Extras)
Garrison commander (Commando stats, wild card)
Garrison (Soldier stats, Extras)
Map
Image
***
GM Notes
GM Bennies: 7/7
GM Notes
GM Bennies: 8/8
Whiskey Pete 2/2
Billy Duchesne 2/2
Melanie Duchesne 2/2

User avatar
Thomas
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by Thomas » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:52 am

Dusting himself off and walking out from where he was hiding Thomas is happy to see the Brodkil fleeing. As they take a last parting shot he jumps and stumbles back. "Well let's see if we can avoid doing to much more of that then."

Realizing Liz was on the barge Thomas went and found her, checking to ensure she is okay and safe. After a few minutes of private conversation they both return to the deck proper as it is being secured.

Looking around as things are brought under control and seeing the Lieutenant introduce himself.
Lieutenant Winston wrote:“Lieutenant Winston,” he introduced himself gruffly, giving a bit of a salute, even though he outranked the members of the Trailblazers. “I lead this motley crew.” He gestured toward his soldiers, who all formed up ranks. “Thanks for the assist. Not sure what we would a done if you hadn’t shown up. Never seen that many brodkil before.

“Welcome to Fort Hope.”
"Pleasure to meat you LT. I am Thomas Hidentown communications and logistics specialist. Glad we arrived in time." Thomas then steps out of the way figuring Charlemagne will handle the important parts of getting things squared.

User avatar
Ashley Logan
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by Ashley Logan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:36 pm

Ashley realized too late that Daniel had taken a hit, and quickly went to check on him.

The cyberdoc was still grimacing and poking at the hole that'd been burned through his shirt...striking the light body armor plate beneath. It was rippled with heat, but the ablative surface had burned enough of the laser energy away that he hadn't suffered more than a little burn.

So it was with some relief that Ash took in the greeting to the 'fort.' Of course, having grown up in a Coalition fortress city, this place looked more like a campsite to her. She kept it to herself though. This was going to be their home. Her job was burning monsters, not bridges.

She gave the lieutenant a salute.

"Ashley. I, um...burn things." She gestured around at the piles of ash that lay in vaguely humanoid-looking heaps; former Brodkil.

User avatar
Karsk
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:09 am

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by Karsk » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:08 am

Notice
1d8 = 5: 5
1d6 = 1: 1

Karsk introduces himself as finds somewhere for Toad to rest and not scare everyone else.

"Karsk scout."

Considering the number of people they had brought along, Karsk uses his abilities to filter the water of the river into suitable containers to ensure there is enough for people to drink.

Water control
OOC Comments
1d10 = 3: 3
1d6 = 3: 3
Later on, Karsk retrieves the corpses of the Brodkil from the river and started a fire before cutting out their hearts, setting aside a portion for his fallen friend.

A bit spicier than we normally ate, but a feast for us.

Afterwards, he begins cooking some of the normal food for the people here, though how many felt comfortable around him was another matter.

User avatar
Vik
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by Vik » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:14 pm

Vik mothers over Charlize as long as she'll allow, and the some, resulting in a rather colorful exchange of opinions followed by a visual display of Charlize's continued health and superior physical conditioning. Rubbing his rapidly swelling jaw, Vik makes his way to shore in search of a more qualified medic.

"Oy, Naz, you about? Charlize gotta bitty case a razor burn or whatnot on one of her pegs if you can take a squint at your leisure. Now then, who among the welcome party is profferin' the first toast to our arrival? Eh, no spirits? No pint of frothing nectar?" Vik says, before getting his first good look at the new digs.

"Ah, faff, this place really is a gobshite bugger-hole, innit? Ain't even got yas a still, or maybe a wee garden for cultivatin' a bit of the sticky-wicky? For shame, what kinda soldiers are ya? Alright, chop-chop and too sweet, couple of yas follow me. I've got a sack a thermonuclear power supplies on the bargle-farge here, and a coil or three of copper tubing. We'll get some mash a brewing, or at least some of them tatties, and be fermenerating ourselves some juicy-juice 'fore sundown."
Vik Donnager
Quick Stats
Human Techno-Wizard
Bennies: 3/3 + 2/2
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (1d12+2), Vigor d6 +2
Charisma: -; Pace: 6 (8) (1d6); Parry: 5; Toughness: 17 (8) or 21 (12) with amulet;
Hindrances: Big Mouth; Device Dependent; Enemies (Coalition and True Federation); Gearhead Geek (Quirk-OCD tapping); Overconfident; Stubborn.
Notice d6, Persuasion d4, Common Knowledge d8
Edges and Abilities of Note: Arcane Background (Weird Science) (Devices malfunction on a roll of 1); Arcane Machinist (Gadgeteer) (four times/session, as an action, create a device with 10 PPE, +5 PPE on a raise, using any TW power, -2 per rank above own); Elan; Luck + Great Luck; Machine Maestro (+1 to rolls with electronics and machines, +2 with arcane devices. Doubled out of combat); Master of Magic.
PPE: 20/20
Active Effects:
Adventure Cards: 53 - Riled Up Play after sustaining a wound; your attacks cause +2 damage for the remainder of the scene.

User avatar
Nazo
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:28 am

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by Nazo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:38 pm

Nazo nodded at Lt. Winston’s gruff introduction. The winds have finally deposited me at my destination.
She smiled sweetly offesting the gruff demenor of the other man. Her sing song voice was demur and curious, ” Motly you say? The forces protecting this fort were brave and true from my perspective. Perhaps I could be given a tour and meet them?” Nazo gently patted the LTs hand. ” Do we know why the Oni attack?”
The Tour, heals 2 wounds for Charlieze
My Trances can only do so much, what can I do to truely heal those that tremble? Vik has asked me to help him with Charlieze. I will aid him where I can and offer her and others the benifits of my long training.
Psionics to heal Charlize 4 isp for a +2 boost 1d8+2 = 9: 7 wild 1d6+2 = 5: 3
When Nazo saw the crate one thought came to mind. A coffin! I cannot find out what is in it directly but perhaps I can call upon the spirits to guide us in our choice to open it. I will need my own guide of sorts. Nazo, before she performed her task found Vik. Descreetly she whispered to him,” I was wondering if you could do me a small request now that Charlieze is feeling better. I wish to ask the spirits of this land for their intiition of the coffin discovered. Doing so puts me at risk for a minute or so. I do not need much just someone to watch my back.”

Nazo placed favorable incents from her land around the crate: sprigs of dried jasmine slightly burning. She sat an arms length from the crate and tapped a small gong thrice with deliberation.
”Spirits in this land you are unfamiliar as you are fickle, will what we find in this rectangular box before us be good or ill?” For a a few minutes Nazo rested near the crate. She sat cross legged and let her breath flow slow and shallow.
Spiritual Channel and Divination total 11
Spiritual Channel: Constantly in contact with spirits, and possibly divine messengers of his faith, a Mystic can use the divination power without using ISP or PPE. Each time he uses it, he must make a Vigor roll to resist gaining a level of Fatigue. Each subsequent use of the power imposes a cumulative −1 penalty on the Vigor check until he gets a full night's rest (eight hours). It is possible for a Mystic to Incapacitate himself with this ability. Fatigue levels gained from Spiritual Channel can only be recovered with eight hours of rest (succor cannot restore). Mystics have access to communion but activate it normally with 10 PPE.

This power allows the caster to contact an otherworldly being to gain information. Due to the extraplanar nature of this power, it is very draining to the caster. On a success, the caster may ask one question that can be answered by “Yes,” “No,” or “Possibly” (if there is no absolute answer). On a raise, the question may be answered in five words or less (the GM may allow a longer, more detailed answer in cryptic form). The spell's duration is one minute, duriooc]ng which the caster may take no other actions or movement. If the caster is Shaken during that time, he must make a Smarts roll or the power is disrupted. If the question relates to a living being (including beings who may “live” by mystical means such as undead, constructs, elementals, etc.), then the arcane skill roll is opposed by their Spirit. Divination is also opposed by conceal arcana. In the case of conceal arcana on a being, the divination must first beat the conceal arcana, and then if successful, the subject may roll Spirit against the divination result.
mystisism 1d10 = 10: 10 ace 1d10 = 1: 1wild 1d6 = 6: 6 ace 1d6 = 3: 3
Vigor 1d8 = 4: 4 wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Combat Info
Toughness: 16(8), Parry: 7, Pace: 8
Active Edges: Sixth Sense, Brave, Elan, quick
Active Powers:

Bennies: 3/3
+1 post rate
+1 interlude
-1 Communion
+1 for spooky watch
-2 for notice checks
Psynetic Crystal amplifier and augmenter
Psynetic Crystal Amplifier (Patron Item)
Image
These strange devices were smuggled out of gargoyle infested Poland. Created by the mysterious Angel of Death, they are works of exquisite craftsmanship, performing far better than any other known psynetic devices on the market. Several prominent Cyber-Docs have investigated the devices and are stumped as to how the truly work.
Crystalline Nano-Amplifier:
  • • † More ISP means more power to work with, and your character has it. She gains +10 ISP to his base.

Crystalline Augmenter:
  • • † Enhanced Senses: +2 on Notice and to the use of Detect Arcana.
†: Modifier from being attached to head and worn.
Gladdius MDC Exoskeleton
Choice of armor, reduce str min and add +1 armor.

NG-EX10 “Gladius” Light Exoskeleton Battle Armor
  • +8MDC(increased by 1 pt) Armor and +2 Toughness, as well as providing
  • Strength Minimum: N/A
  • Environmental Protection: Full
  • Weight: 80 lbs
  • Note: The suit also grants the wearer d12+2 Strength and +2 Pace. The armor, while powered, doesn’t have a Strength Minimum. A wearer suffers a −2 to Stealth checks and any tasks requiring subtle or delicate movement.
  • The armor, while powered, ignores the d6(decreased by one die type)Strength Minimum for physical actions but not arcane skill rolls.
Celestial Blade
32E5FCFD-07AB-4CA5-871A-490D0C48AFE2.jpeg
Celestial Blade:
A normal hilt of the most mundane makings until gripped by one who is spiritually in tune. In the hands of a mystic this weapon is a holy relic of unimaginable power. Its blade is made of pure holy light and the hilt is transformed into one of pure silver with a flourishing guard. Some say Isis herself was involved in its creation or perhaps a chang-ku in Japan. Other’s say it is an unlikely gift from a millennium tree. No matter its origion, demons, vampires, and other super natural evil must beware the weilder who comes at them with such a weapon.
  • Base Item: Chain Longsword, str+2d8, AP 2 MD
    • Minor- Celestial Silver( must be a mystic to gain this trapping, and not broken your higher calling)
    • Minor- +1 fighting
    • Major- Quickness “Exalted Exuberance”( Jazz trapping +1 ppe for +2pace, and raise 1 die increase to agility)
    • Major- Warriors Gift(Heroic) “ Fate’s Fury” ( +2 ppe, On a success, you gain +1 Parry; On a Raise, INSTEAD of a boost to Parry, you gain +1 Die-type to Fighting)
    PPE: 10pts, powers use arcane skill or spirit players choice.

User avatar
Brianna
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by Brianna » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:39 pm

OOC Comments
Soak: 1d8 = 7: 7
Wild: 1d6 = 1: 1
Looking around and taking it all in. Looking a little confused she wonders around the fort. Thinking to herself, I cannot believe this is the type of infrastructure that the Legion would value. This place is a heap. The CS would never stand for this.

Afterwards she hunts down Charlemagne, "Sir, what are the next steps for us in securing this place and helping to fortify it?"

Diligently she helps with offloading cargo and assisting around the fort with any tasks to help secure it and the defenses.

User avatar
Charlemagne
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by Charlemagne » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:33 pm

Wounds and Healing
1 wound from the fight:
2d6 = 4: 1, 3 - arm
1 = left, 2 = right
1d2 = 2: 2
1 = upper, 2 = lower
1d2 = 1: 1

Vigor to heal - regeneration
1d6-1 = 2: 3

WD Vigor
1d6-1 = 3: 4
Charlemagne nurses a wound to his arm, but eventually straightens up and moves on as if it weren't there. "Lieutenant, I thank you and yours for your spirited defense of the fort. Our toll is steep, but our people aquitted themselves admirably. The fallen shall be seen to post-haste." He salutes the superior officer as befits the highest rank present. "First and foremost, we should investigate the contents of the crate. I...I see our new comrade-in-arms has taken it upon herself to scry the contents. Very good, Nazo." He bows his head slightly to his new friend.
He takes stock of the stark reality of their position. Yes, it had access to water, but that is where the advantages ran out. Simple earthworks would be utterly useless against an aerial assault. He acknowledges Brianna's question. "Fortifications are imperative. I believe we have some reasonable quantity of material with which to further solidify the location. Thomas will take stock of what we have. Vik has some knowledge of engineering. He can assist in coordinating structural defenses. Karsk will see to potable water for the fort. Ashley can coordinate forge fires and assist with water purification by boiling. The remainder of us must begin arranging shelter. We have a host that will need to be out of the elements as much as possible. That will be our task, Brianna." He salutes the lieutenant again. "Lieutenant, with your permission, I will set about the sheltering of our bivouacked force, until such a time as more permanent lodgings can be constructed." With that, he turns to help offload their supplies and material.
Charlemagne
Charlemagne
Bennies: 5 (-1 pre-game contacting, +1 intro RP bonus, +1 friendly fired slumber, -1 EE Persuasion/resource negotiation, +1 taking the incapacitator blast, +1 brainburn error, +1 GM birthday, -1 unshake)
Current Status:
Wounds/Fatigue: 0 / 0
Parry: 8, -2 to hit with technological attacks, -4 to hit from Deflection
Toughness: 20 (8) (cyber armor active)
ISP: 13 / 20
Active Powers: Deflection (with raise, -4 to hit), Boost Fighting (with raise, d12+2, adds +2 Pace), cyber armor, twin psi swords (MD)
Pertinent Edges: Improved Frenzy, Command, Champion, Improved Psi-Sword (Str + 3 x Spirit, AP 8 or AP 4 for double blades), Elan
Adventure Cards:
  • Get A Clue: Play this card for a clue from the Game Master for some advice or a hint on how to resolve a current predicament or problem.
Armor: Cyber-Knight Heavy Armor
  • Barrier
  • +8 Armor
  • +2 Toughness
  • Full Environmental Protection
  • Powered by 1 PPE/hour
Weapon(s) in hand:
Psi-Swords (2)
  • Damage: Str + 3x Spirit
  • AP 8 for single blade, AP 4 for double blades
  • MD with 2 ISP
Edit Signature

User avatar
KahlessNestor
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:02 am

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by KahlessNestor » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:36 am

Date: September 4, 109 PA
Time: 0508
Weather: Normal for season (warm); light wind, heavy rain
Location: Fort Hope (Omaha, NE)
Ley Line: Very Large (three quarters mile wide, 2000 feet tall, 75 miles long), stretches 75 miles north of the fort (Whiting, IA)
Scene modifiers:
  • Light: Dim -1 (ley line is quite bright)
  • Visibility: -2 from the rain
Round 0

***

As Nazo meditates and asks the divine for an answer to what is in the crate the soldiers dragged into camp, she receives an answer:

Loot piñata.

When the box is finally pried open, inside is a veritable treasure trove of weapons and ammunition.
Risks and Rewards
There is 2.3 million credits worth of weapons and ammunition in the crate. That translates to 766 Military Resources. If you would like your character to withdraw any equipment from this amount, let me know in the Resource Tracking thread. Anything left will go into the Resource pool. You may also decide to equip NPCs or the fort in this way.
***
Combat Notes
Initiative:

Karsk (Quick)
Charlemagne (Cyberkinetic -2)
Thomas
Brianna
Nazo (Danger Sense, Sixth Sense, Quick)
Vik
Ashley

Enemies:
Map
Image
***
GM Notes
GM Bennies: 7/7
GM Notes
GM Bennies: 8/8
Whiskey Pete 2/2
Billy Duchesne 2/2
Melanie Duchesne 2/2

User avatar
Thomas
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by Thomas » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:58 am

Thomas looks through the spoils for a weapon he can use and rely on to keep him alive. Pulling out a medium riffle he holds it up for Charlemagne to approve. "I think this could help me contribute when thinks are rough, without needing me on the front line."

User avatar
Charlemagne
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Re: 1.3 Arrival at Fort Hope

Post by Charlemagne » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:34 pm

Charlemagne nods to Thomas. "It appears to suit you. May your aim be true."
Charlemagne
Charlemagne
Bennies: 5 (-1 pre-game contacting, +1 intro RP bonus, +1 friendly fired slumber, -1 EE Persuasion/resource negotiation, +1 taking the incapacitator blast, +1 brainburn error, +1 GM birthday, -1 unshake)
Current Status:
Wounds/Fatigue: 0 / 0
Parry: 8, -2 to hit with technological attacks, -4 to hit from Deflection
Toughness: 20 (8) (cyber armor active)
ISP: 13 / 20
Active Powers: Deflection (with raise, -4 to hit), Boost Fighting (with raise, d12+2, adds +2 Pace), cyber armor, twin psi swords (MD)
Pertinent Edges: Improved Frenzy, Command, Champion, Improved Psi-Sword (Str + 3 x Spirit, AP 8 or AP 4 for double blades), Elan
Adventure Cards:
  • Get A Clue: Play this card for a clue from the Game Master for some advice or a hint on how to resolve a current predicament or problem.
Armor: Cyber-Knight Heavy Armor
  • Barrier
  • +8 Armor
  • +2 Toughness
  • Full Environmental Protection
  • Powered by 1 PPE/hour
Weapon(s) in hand:
Psi-Swords (2)
  • Damage: Str + 3x Spirit
  • AP 8 for single blade, AP 4 for double blades
  • MD with 2 ISP
Edit Signature

Post Reply

Return to “Adventure Forum”