New EP Options

The place for proposals for Custom Races, Edges, Hindrances, Trappings, TW Modifications, and Iconic Frame Works

Also See Community Projects.
Forum rules
New Procedures

1. Have all the lead-up discussion and inquiry in the "Community Projects" Forum. If general agreement is reached there, formalize the idea as a proposal.
2. All GMs will vote yay or nay. Administrator has veto rights and also breaks ties.
3. Even proposals that are allowed are subject to editing by the Administrator or GMs.
4. Anyone may comment on a proposed rule.
5. Less is more: Players are reminded that when in doubt, renaming or retrapping is always better than new rules.
6. If the proposal only applies to a very limited case (one PC/player) then take it up with your GM. This forum is for rules which will be adopted site wide. Frame proposals with that in mind.
7. New rule: Disagree but propose an alternative. People work hard to write these things and think them through, it is up to those of us with alternate views to present them with as much consideration.
Post Reply

Please vote on these proposals

I approve both options
6
55%
I approve "Expanded Understanding" Only (Explain)
0
No votes
I approve "Have I got a Backstory for You?" Only (Explain)
4
36%
One or both needs work (Explain)
0
No votes
I Hate that we're even talking about this (Disapprove)
0
No votes
I really don't care (Abstain)
1
9%
 
Total votes: 11

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

New EP Options

Post by Pursuit » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:52 am

From the Hangout today:

Expanded Understanding (5 EP): Your character adds a power to her power list that she would normally not have access to. This may only be selected once per Rank.

Note: This does not give your character the power; it merely adds the power to her list. She must still learn the power as normal (typically via spending an Advance on the New Power Edge).
Other Prior Version
Expanded Understanding (5 EP): Your character adds a power to her power list that she would normally not have access to. She must still meet the Rank requirements for the power and spend an advance on the New Power Edge in order to learn it. This may only be selected once per Rank.
Prior Version
Expanded Understanding (5 EP): Your character adds a power to her power list that she would normally not have access to. She must still meet the Rank requirements for the power and spend an advance on the New Power Edge in order to learn it.
Have I Got a Backstory for You (1 EP): At character creation, your character may make his allotted Hero’s Journey rolls on any table or combination of tables of his choosing (except on tables specifically prohibited by his Iconic Framework, if any). He does not gain extra rolls by purchase of this option.

User avatar
RFT
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 2389
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Black Company

Re: New EP Options

Post by RFT » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:44 am

I like and approve both
Shaping Worlds Together
The 99's Game Master Bennies 5
  • +8 Players
    +2 Sidekicks
    -5 Stupid Slumber

Shaintar Game Master Bennies 6
  • +8 Players
    -2 Bennies to save Yellow Jack

Nightbane Game Master Bennies 5
  • +5 Players

Phase World - The Remorseless 10
  • +8 Players
    +2 Sidekicks

User avatar
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: New EP Options

Post by Venatus Vinco » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:30 am

Great customization options.

I approve.

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!

User avatar
Freemage
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu May 11, 2017 7:09 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by Freemage » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 pm

I'm just going to note that Expanded Understanding is absurdly huge for TWs, since it opens up their build options (also for Enchanters, for that matter).

My gut says that opening up that can of worms should be done carefully. Limit it to once per Rank, and treat the off-list spell as one Rank higher.

User avatar
RFT
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 2389
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Black Company

Re: New EP Options

Post by RFT » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:45 pm

I can buy into both limiting it to once per rank and the rank increase.

Example Boost for a Shifter would be seasoned.
Shaping Worlds Together
The 99's Game Master Bennies 5
  • +8 Players
    +2 Sidekicks
    -5 Stupid Slumber

Shaintar Game Master Bennies 6
  • +8 Players
    -2 Bennies to save Yellow Jack

Nightbane Game Master Bennies 5
  • +5 Players

Phase World - The Remorseless 10
  • +8 Players
    +2 Sidekicks

User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by Tribe of One » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:21 am

I'm fine with both, but agree that the first option (access to powers) should be limited to once per rank. I'm ambivalent as far as increasing the rank of the power -- will approve whether or not that is adopted.
GM Bennies: 4/8

User avatar
Snake Eyes
Game Master
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Re: New EP Options

Post by Snake Eyes » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:33 am

Tribe of One wrote:I'm fine with both, but agree that the first option (access to powers) should be limited to once per rank. I'm ambivalent as far as increasing the rank of the power -- will approve whether or not that is adopted.
I'm going to second this. Increasing the rank requirement by 1 is essentially going to make this a Seasoned and higher EP option, good for 1 off-list power every 6 months real-time or more. If we're leaving this as an EP option, which in itself is already end-arounding the rules, I don't care if they pick a Novice power at Novice.
Beware the mesmerizing eyes of the snake!
GM Bennies: 6/9 (-1 EE puppet, -1 EE slumber, -1 EE puppet)
Wild Card Bennies:
CM left: 2/2
CM right: 2/2
NM left: 0/2 (soak, soak, dead)
NM right: 0/2 (soak, soak)
Summoner: 0/2 (unshake, EE FM)
Statheros: 1/2 (reroll resist slumber)

User avatar
KahlessNestor
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:02 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by KahlessNestor » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:03 am

I agree with the once per rank limitation. I think it overly complicates things to increase the rank.
GM Notes
GM Bennies: 7/8
Whiskey Pete 2/2
Billy Duchesne 1/2
Melanie Duchesne 1/2

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by Pursuit » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:05 am

I’d be fine with the “once per rank” thing. The adding +1 to the rank of the spell seems odd to me and targeted at a single IF (and it’s derivatives). Is there something else that’s treated similarly somewhere (i.e., is there a precedent for this)?

User avatar
Snake Eyes
Game Master
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Re: New EP Options

Post by Snake Eyes » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:41 am

Pursuit wrote:I’d be fine with the “once per rank” thing. The adding +1 to the rank of the spell seems odd to me and targeted at a single IF (and it’s derivatives). Is there something else that’s treated similarly somewhere (i.e., is there a precedent for this)?
Well, quite frankly, there's no precedent for an EP menu of goodies and cheats. That being said, on that menu, there's no precedent for hiking the rank of a spell for purposes of going off-list to choose. Closest thing for that type of precedent is Warrior's Gift which requires you be a rank higher than the edge you're trying to mimic. And I don't think that's nearly the same thing.
Looks like most people are okay with it once per rank and for like-rank powers.
Beware the mesmerizing eyes of the snake!
GM Bennies: 6/9 (-1 EE puppet, -1 EE slumber, -1 EE puppet)
Wild Card Bennies:
CM left: 2/2
CM right: 2/2
NM left: 0/2 (soak, soak, dead)
NM right: 0/2 (soak, soak)
Summoner: 0/2 (unshake, EE FM)
Statheros: 1/2 (reroll resist slumber)

User avatar
Freemage
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu May 11, 2017 7:09 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by Freemage » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:50 pm

I will accept that, then. At some point, of course, a poll should be added. (Or separate threads started for each suggestion, with a poll on each.)

User avatar
Freemage
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu May 11, 2017 7:09 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by Freemage » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:56 pm

For "Have I Got a Backstory for You", I'd also want a limit barring someone from rolling on their IF-Banned tables. (This came to mind as a result of Pender's suggestion.)

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by Pursuit » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:26 am

Freemage wrote:For "Have I Got a Backstory for You", I'd also want a limit barring someone from rolling on their IF-Banned tables. (This came to mind as a result of Pender's suggestion.)
You’re talking basically Cybernetics and non-applicable AB tables, right?

User avatar
Freemage
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu May 11, 2017 7:09 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by Freemage » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:35 pm

Pursuit wrote:
Freemage wrote:For "Have I Got a Backstory for You", I'd also want a limit barring someone from rolling on their IF-Banned tables. (This came to mind as a result of Pender's suggestion.)
You’re talking basically Cybernetics and non-applicable AB tables, right?
Pretty much. Cyborgs are also barred from the Body Armor table.

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by Pursuit » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:06 am

Freemage wrote:
Pursuit wrote:
Freemage wrote:For "Have I Got a Backstory for You", I'd also want a limit barring someone from rolling on their IF-Banned tables. (This came to mind as a result of Pender's suggestion.)
You’re talking basically Cybernetics and non-applicable AB tables, right?
Pretty much. Cyborgs are also barred from the Body Armor table.
Updated the OP. I’ll add a poll once I’m not on mobile.

User avatar
High Command
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:10 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by High Command » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:34 pm

Poll up with granularity of options, but if you use them please explain why.

User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 2390
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: New EP Options

Post by Pender Lumkiss » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:29 pm

Say... I am a heroic TW, for the spell thing, can I drop 20 ep to add 4 new spells not on my list that I can now make as temporary devices? Or would I miss out on novice, seasoned, and veteran?
13th GM bennies GM Bennies
4/4
Vampire Kingdoms GM Bennies
8/8
Legends of the Black Bennies
2/2

User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by Tribe of One » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:06 am

I approved the second option. I’ll approve the first once the “may not be taken more than once per rank” restriction is formally added.
GM Bennies: 4/8

User avatar
Snake Eyes
Game Master
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Re: New EP Options

Post by Snake Eyes » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:47 am

Pender Lumkiss wrote:Say... I am a heroic TW, for the spell thing, can I drop 20 ep to add 4 new spells not on my list that I can now make as temporary devices? Or would I miss out on novice, seasoned, and veteran?
I didn't write it, but if it's a once per rank thing, I'd like to see it function like the other "once per rank" advances. Attribute increases, power points edges, etc. have to be taken within the borders of that rank, otherwise they're lost. Heroic TW who hasn't taken it yet can only take the one for Heroic rank.
Unless someone says something different.
Beware the mesmerizing eyes of the snake!
GM Bennies: 6/9 (-1 EE puppet, -1 EE slumber, -1 EE puppet)
Wild Card Bennies:
CM left: 2/2
CM right: 2/2
NM left: 0/2 (soak, soak, dead)
NM right: 0/2 (soak, soak)
Summoner: 0/2 (unshake, EE FM)
Statheros: 1/2 (reroll resist slumber)

User avatar
Snake Eyes
Game Master
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Re: New EP Options

Post by Snake Eyes » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:48 am

Approved Backstory. As soon as Expanded Understanding is revised to delineate once per rank, and that you can't make them up retroactively, I'll approve that one.
Beware the mesmerizing eyes of the snake!
GM Bennies: 6/9 (-1 EE puppet, -1 EE slumber, -1 EE puppet)
Wild Card Bennies:
CM left: 2/2
CM right: 2/2
NM left: 0/2 (soak, soak, dead)
NM right: 0/2 (soak, soak)
Summoner: 0/2 (unshake, EE FM)
Statheros: 1/2 (reroll resist slumber)

User avatar
Freemage
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu May 11, 2017 7:09 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by Freemage » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:20 am

Current wording on Expanded Understanding still omits one per rank, and also has a TW-only issue: if I am just adding a power to my list, as a TW I would not need to spend an Advance to get the power (I just drop EP once per Rank, adding offlist Powers and build gizmos when needed) Wording should be, "Once per Rank, when taking the New Power Edge, you may select a Power that is not on your list, provided you meet the Rank requirements."

I will refrain from voting until that is cleared up.

User avatar
RFT
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 2389
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Black Company

Re: New EP Options

Post by RFT » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:43 pm

Freemage wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:20 am
Current wording on Expanded Understanding still omits one per rank, and also has a TW-only issue: if I am just adding a power to my list, as a TW I would not need to spend an Advance to get the power (I just drop EP once per Rank, adding offlist Powers and build gizmos when needed) Wording should be, "Once per Rank, when taking the New Power Edge, you may select a Power that is not on your list, provided you meet the Rank requirements."

I will refrain from voting until that is cleared up.
Sure,
now go opine on the updates to the SPC framework.
Shaping Worlds Together
The 99's Game Master Bennies 5
  • +8 Players
    +2 Sidekicks
    -5 Stupid Slumber

Shaintar Game Master Bennies 6
  • +8 Players
    -2 Bennies to save Yellow Jack

Nightbane Game Master Bennies 5
  • +5 Players

Phase World - The Remorseless 10
  • +8 Players
    +2 Sidekicks

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by Pursuit » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:24 am

Freemage wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:20 am
Current wording on Expanded Understanding still omits one per rank, and also has a TW-only issue: if I am just adding a power to my list, as a TW I would not need to spend an Advance to get the power (I just drop EP once per Rank, adding offlist Powers and build gizmos when needed) Wording should be, "Once per Rank, when taking the New Power Edge, you may select a Power that is not on your list, provided you meet the Rank requirements."

I will refrain from voting until that is cleared up.
Updated to show that it can only be selected once per rank. I consider the TW thing a feature, not a flaw, so I did not include the TW-restrictive language.

User avatar
Freemage
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu May 11, 2017 7:09 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by Freemage » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:53 am

I voted accordingly. The ability to get a permanent enhancement to the character's power at functionally no long-term cost is simply a bridge too far for me, and so I will not support the Expanded Understanding as-is. I was leery at full-rank even WITH the requirement of actually spending an Advance. Without it, no dice.

User avatar
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: New EP Options

Post by Venatus Vinco » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:00 pm

Freemage,

The OP says.
She must still meet the Rank requirements for the power and spend an advance on the New Power Edge in order to learn it. This may only be selected once per Rank.
Seems to me that would apply to TWs too wouldn't it? Or did I miss something in the discussion?

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by Pursuit » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:11 pm

Venatus Vinco wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:00 pm
Freemage,

The OP says.
She must still meet the Rank requirements for the power and spend an advance on the New Power Edge in order to learn it. This may only be selected once per Rank.
Seems to me that would apply to TWs too wouldn't it? Or did I miss something in the discussion?

VV
VV, Freemage’s objection is that TWs can make temporary gadgets of powers off of their list without needing to learn all of said powers. So, a TW could use this to add a power to his list just to enable himself to be able to make a gadget; he wouldn’t necessarily need to spend an advance learning it.

I would argue that’s a feature of the IF, and I worded the OP accordingly to fit said feature.

User avatar
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: New EP Options

Post by Venatus Vinco » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:09 pm

Pursuit wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:11 pm
[So, a TW could use this to add a power to his list just to enable himself to be able to make a gadget; he wouldn’t necessarily need to spend an advance learning it.
The OP says "and spend an advance on the New Power Edge to learn it". There is nothing there exempting TWs from that requirement.

That is how I read it: you have to spend an advance and EP to get the off list power.

Since I do not want a repeat of the " device debate" let's be super clear here before I put it as an option.

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by Pursuit » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:11 pm

Venatus Vinco wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:09 pm
Pursuit wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:11 pm
[So, a TW could use this to add a power to his list just to enable himself to be able to make a gadget; he wouldn’t necessarily need to spend an advance learning it.
The OP says "and spend an advance on the New Power Edge to learn it". There is nothing there exempting TWs from that requirement.

That is how I read it: you have to spend an advance and EP to get the off list power.

Since I do not want a repeat of the " device debate" let's be super clear here before I put it as an option.

VV
Right. But a TW does not need to learn a power in order to make a gadget; the power just needs to be on his power list. If he wanted to make a gizmo (and have the power permanently), he’d also need to take the New Power Edge.

I am 100% okay with this.

User avatar
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: New EP Options

Post by Venatus Vinco » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Pursuit wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:11 pm
I am 100% okay with this.
100% ok with what? Spending an Advance and EP to add a power to your list?

Then what is the objection?

I hate TWs.

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by Pursuit » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:23 pm

Venatus Vinco wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:18 pm
Pursuit wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:11 pm
I am 100% okay with this.
100% ok with what? Spending an Advance and EP to add a power to your list?

Then what is the objection?

I hate TWs.

VV
No, I am 100% okay with TWs being able to make gadgets of powers on their list without needing to spend an Advance on the New Power Edge. My position is unchanged.

User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 2390
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: New EP Options

Post by Pender Lumkiss » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:03 pm

Expanded Understanding (5 EP): Your character adds a power to her power list that she would normally not have access to. This may only be selected once per Rank.

Should just be this.
13th GM bennies GM Bennies
4/4
Vampire Kingdoms GM Bennies
8/8
Legends of the Black Bennies
2/2

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: New EP Options

Post by Pursuit » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:36 pm

Pender Lumkiss wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:03 pm
Expanded Understanding (5 EP): Your character adds a power to her power list that she would normally not have access to. This may only be selected once per Rank.

Should just be this.
OP updated and added a note for (attempted) clarity. How’s that?

User avatar
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: New EP Options

Post by Venatus Vinco » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:10 pm

Good enough for me.
Let's try it, if only TWs take it we know what's up.

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!

Post Reply

Return to “Savage Rifts House Rule Proposals”