9. Lure of the Wilderness

Adventures of the Legion's 32nd Special Exploratory Team.
Post Reply
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Pursuit » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:11 pm

Conditions: The temperature is above 90 degrees fahrenheit and the humidity is high. No ley line is nearby the town, though you might find one as you venture farther from civilization. The ever present muck of swamp mud is everywhere, as are mosquitos eager to dine on any exposed skin.

That’s Odd…

Outside the town, Toshiro communicates to Norona the general weirdness of the too quiet swamp. Upon activating his magical sight, Norona finds strong traces of exceptionally dark magic crisscrossing game trails everywhere he looks. Once he knows where to look, he finds sets of odd looking tracks, with footprints of different sizes spaced at ever increasing intervals as they race off into the swamp.

He loses the tracks when he reaches water too deep to see the mud beneath, but telltale signs of something’s passing can be seen from scrapes on trees and disturbed vegetation.

Heroes First!

Like the heroes they are (well, that most of them are), the 32nd determines that it is time to save the town from the magical illness that (quite literally) plagues them. With Toshiro and Norona’s discovery of some kind of dark magical threat looming and a creature on the loose, it does not take much to put two and two together and surmise that they might be related.

The way is murky and mucky, but not so deep that the vehicles will have much trouble passing, should the party choose to bring them along on this run. If you do bring them, Jareb has made darn sure they are well supplied with plenty of water for the trip. If you do not, make sure you’ve got some supplies on you for the trip.

Note: Encumbrance will matter for this story arc! Per the core rules, we only deal with encumbrance when thematically appropriate, and stomping around in a hot swamp sure seems appropriate. We’re on the honor system (I will not be auditing your character sheets for encumbrance), but please make sure to take encumbrance into account if your character is carrying more than his/her maximum weight. For ease of reference, the encumbrance rules can be found on page 49 of Savage Worlds Deluxe, and there is a handy table on page 65 of the TLPG.

Into the Swamp!

What follows will be a series of challenges over three extended rounds (which take place over the course of time periods much longer than the typical 6 seconds of combat) for the party to complete in order to (hopefully!) unravel the mystery of what is ailing the town!

For each challenge, one player character will be the Team Leader, and you may decide amongst yourselves who that leader will be. The Team Leader MUST roll one of the listed skills for the challenge, which are explained below. The other members of the Team Leader’s team may roll any skill that makes sense as a cooperative roll, adding +1 to the Team Leader’s result for each success.

For the opening round, the party will need to complete two challenges simultaneously, and each player character may help on only one challenge or the other. The party will need a total of 3 successes on each challenge, or bad stuff may occur. You have been warned!

Challenge 1: Where There’s a Will, There’s No Way Forward

As you move further into the swamp, anyone with an arcane background can feel a familiar inky blackness of the mind creeping into your thoughts. The air feels a bit thicker, but nowhere near as oppressive as when the party fled from the shadows behind the flickering blue light of the swamp’s guardian spirit, and you can tell that something’s will is opposing you.

To overcome this challenge, the Team Leader must roll an Arcane Skill (spellcasting, psionics, weird science, etc.) or an applicable knowledge skill (Arcana makes the most sense, but Occult or some other related field of study could apply) and narrate the results. Other team members may roll any skill that makes sense and add +1 to the Team Leader’s result for each success and raise.

The arcane team will need to accumulate 3 total successes in order to succeed.

Challenge 2: The Woods Have Eyes…Best Not to be Seen

As you get closer to your goal, one of you catches sight of a human hiding in the trees as if keeping watch. Upon closer review, several humans can be seen along various trails, and their numbers increase as you move deeper into the swamp. These people carry rudimentary looking weapons and wear armor that appears to be made of leather and bone, like the barbarians of old pre-Rifts stories. Whether by intuition or by training, you know it would not go well if any of these sentries were to alert their comrades to your presence. Best to try and slip by, if you can.

To overcome this challenge, the Team Leader must roll Arcane skill (spellcasting, psionics, etc.), Driving, Fighting, Notice, Piloting, Riding, Shooting (though I would only recommend this with a silent weapon, such as a laser), Survival, Stealth, Throwing or Tracking and narrate the results (Note: Vehicular rolls incur an additional -4 due to their being real hard to hide). Other team members may roll any skill that makes sense to them and add +1 to the Team Leader’s result for each success and raise.

Because these sentries are on the lookout for intruders, all of your rolls for this challenge must be made at -2. This includes the cooperative rolls.

The tactical team will need to accumulate 3 total successes in order to get past the barbarian sentries unseen.

Risks and Rewards

Besides potentially helping the town, the party might be able to win some rewards for itself if it manages to successfully complete all of the challenges it will face over the next three extended rounds (in the form of extra Bennies and potential other goodies). But be warned: failure on any individual challenge will make the difficulty of other challenges go up, and failure to complete the overall mission could lead to the GM getting a bunch of neat rewards instead of the players (including bonus GM Bennies! Mwah-hah-hah-hah-ha!)

Good luck!

User avatar
Sierra Mackenzie
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Sierra Mackenzie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:33 am

Psionics 10
Psionics 1d12 = 10: 10
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2
Dinosaur Swamp/Village of Avanzada Seca
Next few days
Round 0

Sierra slapped at mosquitos until she finally resorted to just maintaining a low level flame to scorch the pests off of her.

“Something doesn’t feel...right,” Sierra murmured, that sense of danger tickling the hairs at the back of her neck that she got.
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Encumbrance: 11/28
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
Liquid Courage: Vigor d10, Toughness: 8, ignore 1 point of Wounds (1 hour)
ISP: 20/20
Bennies: 7/3
Adventure Card
  • That’s Crazy Talk, Mister: Play this card to cause all non-wild card enemies suffer a -2 MAP as they stop to listen to your jabbering for one round.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Pursuit » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:07 am

Note for clarity: the above two challenges are intended to be resolved simultaneously during one extended round. Once completed, the party will get new challenges for round 2 and then again for round 3. Thanks!

User avatar
Toshiro 'Cybermonk'
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 9:19 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Toshiro 'Cybermonk' » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:34 am

The woods have eyesl - 5 - +1 to Lead
Driving Roll (+2 ace, +1 skill level, -6 scene modifier)
Driving 1d12-3 = -2: 1
Wild 1d6-3 = 3: 6
ACE! 1d6+3 = 5: 2
Toshiro didn't care what the others thought. He could get the APC through the woods quitely. And it was going to be a hell of a lot better than packing all the food and water they needed and bringing it with them on foot.

Now... That didn't mean it was easy. Even having been fully repaired it engine seemed to squeal if toshiro left it at the wrong RPM for more than a few seconds. Though there was often a path wide enough to travel on, it was littered with rocks, fallen trees and a variety of other debris...some man made... That made navigating it quietly a Herculean task. But toshiro was up for it. It wasn't like he was going to sneak the ATV by any eyes watching the road, but with just a little luck, no onr who wasn't watching the road would hear them pass by.

Jareb better manage to can take care of anyone with eyes on the road. Toshiro things as he wipes some sweat from his brow as he swings the wheel hard to the left to avoid yet another deep pothole.

current chips
3DT Driving
2DT Knowledge (electronics)
OOC Comments
Toshiro's Character Sheet
Wounds: 0/4; Fatigue: 0/3; [/size]

Parry: 5[/size]
Toughness: 23(12 MDC)[/size]
Active Effects Chips: +3DT Driving +2 knowledge(electronics)[/size]

Notable Edges: Woodsman, Quick, Brawny, I know a Guy, Nerves of Steel, Danger Sense, Improved Arcane Resistance, Ace, Combat Ace, Elan[/size]


Bennies: 4/3 [/size]
+1 for Schwarma!
+1 for writting
-2 for rerolls on sinking apc
+1 for organizing Round 3!

Aventure Cards:

In the Zone
- Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene

Last Stand
- Your hero and any adjacent allies gain +2 Parry and Toughness. Allies who move into contact after the card is played gain the bonus as well. The effect ends when a Joker is dealt.

Edit Signature

User avatar
Tyraxas
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Tyraxas » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Tyraxas contributes Spellcasting for Where There's a Will, +2 to the roll
Spellcasting
1d8 = 1: 1

WD Spellcasting
1d6 = 4: 4

Benny to reroll Spellcasting with Elan
1d8+2 = 8: 6

WD Spellcasting
1d6+2 = 7: 5
Tyraxas alternates between scouting sorties from above and walking with the group into the swamp. The familiar dark essence begins closing in, but Tyraxas is undaunted by the powerful will. He works his magic to bolster the spirits of everyone traveling with them. "This...presence...again besets us. We will not be cowed. Stand firm with me, and let us sort out this devilry once and for all." He places a draconic hand on Sierra, sending inner strength and resolve coursing through her. "I will see this thing broken and the townsfolk restored."
Tyraxas
Tyraxas
Current Status Post
Current Status: Dragon form
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
PPE: 20 / 20
ISP: 0 / 0
Active Effects: None
Parry: 5
Toughness: 34 (16) MDC in dragon form
Toughness: 15 (6) in human form with deadboy armor and duster
Pertinent Edges: Quick
Adventure Cards:
  • Out of the Frying Pan: insert desc here
    Noble Sacrifice: insert desc here
Edit Signature
Dragon Breed Details

User avatar
Jareb
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Jareb » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:50 pm

Woods have eyes. 68/70 lbs thanks load baring coat!
+2 to whom ever leads Woody Eyes.
fighting 1d12 = 5: 5 wild 1d6 = 3: 3 benny for ef with elan 1d6+2 = 6: 4
It was hot. I could barely fly. The jungle is just my place. Days on end looking and searching. All it took was a quick water break and then the eyes I felt always on me took form. It looked at me and it was all I could do to defend my self against its bladed will. Where did it come from, why was it here. It came at me like one of the Deevils I used to fight against. Gift did her part too. We were put to the test, 13th celestial general and his mute charge. It was a short fight, a quiet fight. Over faster than it was started, we were lucky to be alive. Hopefully it was worth it and the appointed team leader could find our efforts useful. Whatever this Deevil was it would not be issuing a warning.
Jareb Combat data
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d8 (d10), Vigor d8, -2 to be hit from range via improved dodge.
Charisma: 0; Pace: 4; Parry: 8 ; Toughness: 16(10); Strain: 0,PPE:20/9
Combat edges:
  • Quick- redraw on 5 or less
    Elan
Command edges:
  • Command: +1 to unshake in command radius
    Hold the line: +1 toughness to troops under their command
    Natural Leader: Can share bennies with those under his command,
Active Powers and other bonuses: Improved Trademark Weapon (St Cathrine’s Blade), Improved Dodge (-2 to hit from Range)
[/list]
Bennies
5/3
+1 lucky
+1 high post rate
+1 shwarma
+1 for good writing
-1 EF
-1 reroll on fighting
+2 brown benny and interlude benny
-1 EF fighting roll for 3rd challenge

User avatar
Deezy Klatta
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Deezy Klatta » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:14 am

Deezy opted to ride in Toshi's vehicle for the swamp crawl, but she spent almost as much time leaning out the window as tucked inside. Her goggles were down over the visor of her helmet, ticking merrily away as she catalogued the flows of psychic energy through the swamp and marked anomalous areas or spots with dangerous buildups.

When they spotted the natives lurking about, Deezy was quick to slap together some weird thing that looked like an umbrella, and scooted out onto the top of the ATV. Opening it, a cascade of rippling colors descended over and around the vehicle and quickly changed to match the swamp around them. From outside even the sound was muffled...not so much made quiet as garbled so that it wasn't recognizable as an engine. It could have been crocs thrashing in the water, or the deep warbling of some weird swamp monster.

Taking lead: Tech Wizard roll - 17, 1 benny spent
Tech Wizard 1d12+3 = 9: 6 or 1d6+3 = 6: 3
Includes +3 from assistance; may need to be further modified if more assistance comes in.
Ack, also forgot the penalty, so it's 7. Gonna benny for EE! 1d6 = 6: 6 And ace: 1d6 = 4: 4
OOC Comments
Player Name: Salmon Max
Google Handle: samminmax@gmail.com

Character Name: [urk=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php ... =167#p1803]Dorothy Zane “DZ” Klatta[/url]
Rank:Novice Experience: 10 (7/30/17) Advances Left: 0
Race: Human
Iconic Framework: Techno-Wizard
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Charisma: -1; Pace: 6; Parry: 4; Toughness: 12 (6); PPE: 20
Skills:
Knowledge: Arcana d10
Knowledge: Engineering d10 (+1)
Knowledge: Science d6
Knowledge: Electronics d10 (+1)
Repair d10 (+2 Edge, +4 armor (inc TW bonus))
Investigate d6 (+2)
Techno-Wizardry d10
Fighting
Notice
Shooting d6 (+3 w/revolver)

Hindrances
Overconfident (Major): Never give up...NEVER SURRENDER!
Greedy (Minor): Building something like this is going to take a load of bread to capitalize...where’m I gonna get the money?!
Habit (Minor): Too hyperactive!

Edges
Edge: Master of Magic (mega-magic ENGAGE)
Edge: Extra PPE (+5 PPE)
Edge: Mr Fixit (+2 Repair, halve time required on raise)
Edge: Investigator (+2 to Investigate, Streetwise, and Notice to sort through evidence)
Edge: Improved Recharge (recover 1 PPE/.5 hour)

Gizmos (spells):
AEGIS (Active ElectroGravitational Interception System)
Armor (2PPE, +2 armor/+4 on raise, duration 3 (+1/rnd), touch)
Greater Armor (5PPE, +5 MDC armor/+10 on raise, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Omniblaster
Bolt (1PPE/2d6 missile (up to 3), 2PPE/3d6 missile, 12/24/48)
Onslaught (2PPE/3d6MD missile (up to 4), 4PPE/6d6MD missile, 18/36/72)

TIAMAT (Thaumic Imaging And Magical Ambiance Testing)
Detect/Conceal Arcana (2PPE, sense supernatural creatures, objects or effects)
Exalted Detect/Conceal Arcana (4PPE, gain more info, 2PPE to analyze creature)

ROCKET BOOTS (No acronym; just rockets in boots)
Flight (3PPE, fly at Pace; 6PPE, 2x Pace, duration 3 (+1/rnd), touch)
Swift Flight (8PPE, 4x Pace and -1 to be hit; 10PPE 8x Pace and -2 to be hit, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Gear
Triax T-13 Field Mechanic
Armor 6, +1 Toughness, Full environment, 18lbs
Laser Torch, 3d6MD, RoF 1, AP 3, 4/8/16
Extensible Manipulator: Reach 1, Str 1d6, 1d6+1d4 dmg in melee w/laser finger
Optical Enhancements; 10x mag, thermal vision, spectrographic scanner, +2 Repair
10 mile communication, nightvision, loudspeaker, laser rangefinder


TW Revolver
2d6+2 dmg, RoF 1, AP 4, 6 shots, 12/24/48
+1 Shooting skill (Minor TW Augmentation)
2PPE to charge, 2PPE to make Mega-damage


TechnoWizard Specialized Toolkit
I use it for techno things that also involve wizardry.

NG-S2 Survival Pack
2 person tent, +20% water supplies
Sleeping bag
Flashlight w/knife; solar
Inertial compass (+2 to Survival to navigate)
Short range (5 mile) radio
First aid kit (+1 to healing; 3 uses)
Hunting/Fishing kit (+1 to Survival to forage)
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
Survival Knife, hatchet, wooden cross
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations


Credits: 2000

User avatar
Kuikku
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:20 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Kuikku » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:05 pm

Gear
Cyber-Knight Medium armor (powered, FEP): 3 lbs
C-12 Heavy Assault Laser Rifle: 7 lbs
2 Wooden Crosses (1 sharpened into a stake): 2 lbs
Where there's a Will +1
Psionics: 1d6 = 5: 5
Wild: 1d6 = 3: 3
Kuikku tucks his two crosses into his belt, closes his survival pack, and starts away from the vehicle. ”Sierra, I want you taking lead for our scouting line. Deezy, you stay with the vehicle and make sure it says safe. The rest of you go where you think you can do the most good and let's see if we can figure out what this critter is and where to find it. Along the way keep an eye out for any thing weird.”

As the party works its way through the swamp Kuikku keeps in contact with everyone via his radio. More than once he is glad that he had Deezy work in those water repellent... things. Keeping the mud and muck off his feet and legs is making this trek much easier. It also allows him to focus a bit more on tracking whatever it is they were following.

When the vehicle radios that they have encountered humans, or at least humanoids, it explains some of the signs he had seen. I really should have Norona teach me a bit about how to actually survive in a wilderness. ”Ok, everyone keep quiet and let's see if we can avoid a confrontation. Scout team, make sure you don't lose the trail but don't get seen either.”

Status
Toughness: 14(6)
ISP: 9/10 (powering armor and regaining just as more power needed)
Bennies: 5
Character
Kuikku
Parry: 8
Toughness: 14(6)
Toughness with Cyber-Armor active: 20(8) MDC

User avatar
Norona
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:41 pm

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Norona » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:26 pm

Tracking 8 (+2 success)
Tracking 1d8+2 = 3: 1
Wild 1d8+2 = 8: 6
Tracking +4
Challenge Penalty -2
Net +2
Spotting the activity of the many tribesmen, and hearing the opressive noise of the vehicles, Norona shakes his head and stows his gear.

"The best way to be unseen is to go where the enemy is not. I will go ahead and report their movements so we can always be where they have already been or have not yet arrived."

Moving through the forest, his pack and other gear stored in an APC, Norona moves lithely with little effort. His environmental magic makes the heat and humidity of the swamp unnoticeable. In fact, it's kind kid of annoying how easily and effortlessly he moves and how the heat, mud, and bugs, just seem to ignore him. Stalking along with Zoffa, his shaggy companion, Norona tracks the movements of the barbarian guards, spotting their positions then calling them back to the team.
Character Information
Norona, Wilderness Scout
Armored Stats: Pace: 11, Toughness 10 (4)
PPE: 40/20

Bennies: 5

User avatar
Conrad
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:01 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Conrad » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:11 am

OOC Comments
Conrad
Notice
1d8 = 1: 1
1d6 = 1: 1

Jameson
Stealth
1d6+2 = 4: 2
1d6+2 = 4: 2
Whilst Jameson trudged noisily along, Conrad concentrated so much on the natives in the distance that he didn't notice one crouched in the undergrowth in front of him before he practically booted said person into the air.

"Oh frak!" Conrad swore.

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Pursuit » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:23 pm

Conditions
The temperature hovers around 90 degrees fahrenheit and the humidity is oppressively high. Anyone who has been travelling outside is covered in a healthy dose of swamp muck (except for Kuikku, thanks to the enhancement on his Cyber-Knight Armor, which causes the water of the swamp (and most of the dirt mixed in with it) to slide right off).

Challenge Round One Results

With textbook skill and efficiency, the party handles everything the swamp can throw at them. The arcanely gifted in the group manage to beat back the familiar, oppressive weight of darkness through sheer force of will, while the rest of the group deftly maneuvers around the barbarian sentries they encounter.

That is, everyone but Conrad, who manages to stub his toe on a barbarian scout.

Fortunately, the party is able to silence the barbarian before he can raise an alarm, but Conrad is shaken up by the experience and gets in his own head a little bit. He suffers -2 to his next roll due to distraction.

Total successes: 8

Setting the Stage for Round Two

As the party moves ever deeper into the swamp, you notice the air around you beginning to glow a faint blue. With each passing step, the blue light becomes more apparent, until you come upon the edges of one of the largest ley lines you have ever seen! Easily a mile tall, the ley line stretches out for as far as you can see in every direction (except behind you, of course) before the vegetation of the swamp blocks your view. Even those in the party without an arcane background can feel the energy flowing along the line as sparks and small bursts of magic dance through the air and in between the plants and the trees.

As with all of the lines in the Dinosaur Swamp, this one is unstable, and you know you should tread carefully… but the barbarians and the odd tracks Norona followed all lead onward!

Round Two, Challenge One: Is It Supposed to Make That Sound?

You aren’t the only ones affected by the sight of the ley line. As you pass into the light of the line, a massive spark (more like a small explosion, really) strikes the cabin of the APC with a burst of mystical electricity! Toshiro watches as sensors go haywire, optics fail, and the engine grinds to a halt. Now stationary, the Mark IX begins to settle, sinking slowly into the mud until its tracks hit more solid ground… only the front doesn’t seem to be stopping! The rear of the vehicle begins, ever so slowly, to tilt up off the ground as the front begins to disappear into the muck of the swamp a few centimeters at a time.

Quick! You had better do something! The Team Leader must roll one of the following skills to get the vehicle back online or out of the muck: K/Computers, K/Electronics, K/Engineering, other Scientific knowledge as may be applicable, Repair, Strength (if applicable; I’m looking at you, Tyraxas); Arcane Skill (if applicable). Your team will need 3 total successes and, as before, the Team Leader’s result is modified by +1 for each success and raise her team gets. To be clear, team members may roll any skill they choose as long as it makes sense for the challenge; only the Team Leader is limited to the list above.

Because of the muck and the constant interference from the ley line energy, all rolls for this challenge must be made at -4!

Round Two, Challenge Two: Did You Guys Hear Something Go “Click”?

As the Mark IX sinks, one of you notices something else unsettling about the swamp: not all of the vegetation is lying quite correctly. Perhaps it’s a tickling at the back of Sierra’s neck, or perhaps it’s Norona’s keen eye, but you somehow come to realize that your way forward has been prepared for you, and not in any kind of good way! Trip wires, mines, and remote sensors are hidden within the vegetation and the muck, and traps may be lurking even in the tops of the trees for the unwary flyer.

Still want to save that town? Then it’s time to clear out some of the deadly devices barring your way. The Team Leader must roll one of the following skills: K/Demolitions, K/Engineering, other appropriate Knowledge skill (clear it with me first), Repair, Survival, Arcane Skill (if appropriate), or Notice. Your team will need three total successes, and Team Members may roll any cooperative skill they find appropriate (only the Team Leader is limited to the list above). Because the traps have been well hidden, all rolls made for this challenge must be done at -4!

Round Two, Challenge Three: Anyone Know a “Seymour”?

As the party approaches a particularly dense patch of vegetation, a tangle of vines unwraps itself from around a tree and begins thrashing about wildly, groping for you. From within the mess of whipping vines, a mouth opens wide, reminiscent of a venus fly trap but on a massive scale. The plant doesn’t make a sound (though its movement sure does), but despite its relative stealth and its near perfect camouflage, it is at a disadvantage: it moved too soon. You are able to spot the danger easily while you are still out of striking distance and prepare for it.

The Team Leader for this task should roll Agility, Fighting, Shooting, Throwing, Arcane Skill, or Survival. Any supporting team members may roll any skill that seems appropriate. Because of your advantage against the plants, all skills for this challenge are made at +2! You need three total successes.

By way of reminder, each character may assist on only one task, and all three tasks must be resolved simultaneously. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask before posting. Good luck!

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Pursuit » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:57 am

GM OOC Update: Everyone should have taken an extra Benny at the beginning of the quarter for your excellent writing last quarter (as has become the norm for our game). If you didn’t take one then, go ahead and add one to your ledger now. Okay, back to the action!

User avatar
Jareb
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Jareb » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:28 am

JAREB ATTACKS THE PLANTS: (challenge 3)

Jareb swoops in with his blade of St. Cathrine shinning in hand and slices and dices. The angel’s armor is dripping with the muck of hard travel. His wings seem to glisten with moisture. One vines strikes out threatening to wrap Jareb in its tendrils but with great skill and ease the angel lifts his blade cutting the vine in twain. Softly he says still aware of their stealth mission, ” We are on the right path if the jungle sets itself against us. Worry not Norona I will see that this creature is mostly unharmed.” Gift giggles as the angelic commander bats and swats thick throny vines this way and that way until the heap is a tangled ball of knots. You will surivive for now vine wrapper but be warned harm one of my charges and you will find yourself in more of a dire circumstance.
Fighting +3 to whomever leads against the plant
Fighting 1d12+2 = 5: 3 Wild 1d6+2 = 3: 1 benny for reroll 1d12+4 = 15: 11 wild 1d6+4 = 9: 5
Jareb Combat data
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d8 (d10), Vigor d8, -2 to be hit from range via improved dodge.
Charisma: 0; Pace: 4; Parry: 8 ; Toughness: 16(10); Strain: 0,PPE:20/9
Combat edges:
  • Quick- redraw on 5 or less
    Elan
Command edges:
  • Command: +1 to unshake in command radius
    Hold the line: +1 toughness to troops under their command
    Natural Leader: Can share bennies with those under his command,
Active Powers and other bonuses: Improved Trademark Weapon (St Cathrine’s Blade), Improved Dodge (-2 to hit from Range)
[/list]
Bennies
5/3
+1 lucky
+1 high post rate
+1 shwarma
+1 for good writing
-1 EF
-1 reroll on fighting
+2 brown benny and interlude benny
-1 EF fighting roll for 3rd challenge

User avatar
Toshiro 'Cybermonk'
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 9:19 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Toshiro 'Cybermonk' » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:41 am

Is it supposed to make that sound - 12
Repair the vehicle (-4 scene +4 core electronics)
Repair 1d8 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2
Reroll (with elan)
Repair 1d8+2 = 5: 3
Wild 1d6+2 = 3: 1
Once more unto the breach
Repair 1d8+2 = 9: 7
Wild 1d6+2 = 4: 2

Total: 9 + 3 (Tyr) = 12

-2 bennies
Toshiro's good mood at being inside the vehicle rather than out in the muck is soured as the APC clears the rise, revealing a massive ley line. It's not that Toshiro has any of the anti-magic sentiment of the coalition, but he knows that ley lines enhance the ability of psychics. That fact alone puts him on edge when around the rivers of arcane power that criss-cross the globe.

Toshiro sighs internally, and pulls out his personal jack and plugs into the APC. He reaches up and makes some adjustments on the forward sensors to compensate for the interference front the line when the magic infused lightning strikes the APC. Being jacked into the vehicle, toshiro feels the flow of energy run wild through the systems of the vehicle as the audio alarms blare wild, high pitch sirens. Luckily the arcane energy rolls to a stop as it flows up the jack and encounters the supernatural resistance to magic infused in Toshiro's body.

Toshiro flings his hands up to cover his face when the lightning strikes, and is initially overwhelmed by the claxons and contradictory displays. Then the APC lurches forward as it start today sink in the mud. A silent snarl on his face Toshiro flips a couple a switches and then turns the main power to the vehicle off.

Technology 101: turn it off and turn it back on...

Toshiro holds his breath as he reaches above (though more infront of at this point) and flips the main power back on. The diagnostic systems come back on online and show a number of short circuits and fried systems.

He first thing he tries is the horn, which thankfully still works. He lays on it a couple of times, hoping it will get the attention of crew since he can't send a message over comms. Then he grabs a few tools and gets to work on trying to return power to the drive systems. After a few minutes, and one mild electrical burn, the controls for the drive systems are back on and the wheels spin, sending swamp muck shooting out behind he vehicle.
Last edited by Toshiro 'Cybermonk' on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOC Comments
Toshiro's Character Sheet
Wounds: 0/4; Fatigue: 0/3; [/size]

Parry: 5[/size]
Toughness: 23(12 MDC)[/size]
Active Effects Chips: +3DT Driving +2 knowledge(electronics)[/size]

Notable Edges: Woodsman, Quick, Brawny, I know a Guy, Nerves of Steel, Danger Sense, Improved Arcane Resistance, Ace, Combat Ace, Elan[/size]


Bennies: 4/3 [/size]
+1 for Schwarma!
+1 for writting
-2 for rerolls on sinking apc
+1 for organizing Round 3!

Aventure Cards:

In the Zone
- Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene

Last Stand
- Your hero and any adjacent allies gain +2 Parry and Toughness. Allies who move into contact after the card is played gain the bonus as well. The effect ends when a Joker is dealt.

Edit Signature

User avatar
Tyraxas
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Tyraxas » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:54 am

Tyraxas assists with "Is It Supposed to Make That Sound" +3
Tyraxas lifts the vehicle out of the muck, -4 for scene
1d12 = 3: 3

WD Strength
1d6 = 4: 4

Benny reroll with Elan
1d12+2 = 8: 6

WD Strength reroll
1d6+2 = 4: 2

One more Benny just because
1d12+2 = 12: 10

WD Strength 2nd benny
1d6+2 = 5: 3
Tyraxas' aerial scouting forces his eyes above the ground to assess the way forward and any other threats. He's not paying much attention to the Mark IX when the ley line interferes with its functioning. He does hear the magical explosion, though, and dives swiftly to find the big vehicle sinking into the muck. "This is nothing for one of my might. Get the behemoth running. I'll keep it above the swampline!"
With that, he swoops in and grabs the front end. His wings beat against the smothering humidity and his draconic muscles tense and flex, ripping the front tires from the mud. "This swamp is certainly full of surprises! It's a good thing I am with you!"
Tyraxas
Tyraxas
Current Status Post
Current Status: Dragon form
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
PPE: 20 / 20
ISP: 0 / 0
Active Effects: None
Parry: 5
Toughness: 34 (16) MDC in dragon form
Toughness: 15 (6) in human form with deadboy armor and duster
Pertinent Edges: Quick
Adventure Cards:
  • Out of the Frying Pan: insert desc here
    Noble Sacrifice: insert desc here
Edit Signature
Dragon Breed Details

User avatar
Conrad
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:01 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Conrad » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:31 am

challenge 2 Lead

Repair 21 5 successes
OOC Comments
1d10-2 = 8: 10 1d10 = 10: 10 1d10 = 3: 3
1d6-2 = 3: 5
Jameson
Notice 0 Successes
OOC Comments
1d8-4 = 0: 4
1d6-4 = -1: 3

“Sorry chummer,” Conrad looked embarrassed as only a 9 foot greeny brown skinned lizard can as he clobbered the native into unconsciousness. He didn’t know if they were a threat, but they weren't taking chances.

Seeing the APC start to sink, instinctively he wanted to go and carry out repairs until Jameson almost stood in a trap
“Not so technological inept.”

"Don't go through this area just yet. Booby traps everywhere. Just disarming them.

User avatar
Deezy Klatta
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Deezy Klatta » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:38 pm

On seeing the massive plant rising up ahead, Deezy's face transformed...into one of sudden exultant joy.

"No...WAY."

She was suddenly a tangle of scrambling limbs, trying to get up out of the APC onto the roof, eschewing the armor and protection for some reason. A reason that immediately became clear as she began detaching canisters from her armor and kicking them off the top of the APC.

"I never...ever...EVER...thought I'd get another chance to use these things!" she cackled. "I mean, for something they'd actually do good at!"

The canisters split along seams and began to unfold, twisting and turning to form vaguely humanoid figures that turned their mismatched lenses onto the huge floral menace before them...and suddenly a multitude of sharp shears and scrapers and cutting implements sprang out of compartments on their bodies.

"YES! AAAAHAHAH! Klattatech Heavy Gardening Squad, get to work!" Deezy shouted, pointing at the beast.

And they did, pelting through the mud like tiny humanoid robot porcupines, rolling and running to start pruning the paste out of the plant!

Rolls: Repair 12 (+3 to combat)
Using Instant Robots! Repair to activate. 1d10+6 = 10: 4 or 1d6+6 = 9: 3 Doesn't count the +2, so may be 12...
OOC Comments
Player Name: Salmon Max
Google Handle: samminmax@gmail.com

Character Name: [urk=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php ... =167#p1803]Dorothy Zane “DZ” Klatta[/url]
Rank:Novice Experience: 10 (7/30/17) Advances Left: 0
Race: Human
Iconic Framework: Techno-Wizard
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Charisma: -1; Pace: 6; Parry: 4; Toughness: 12 (6); PPE: 20
Skills:
Knowledge: Arcana d10
Knowledge: Engineering d10 (+1)
Knowledge: Science d6
Knowledge: Electronics d10 (+1)
Repair d10 (+2 Edge, +4 armor (inc TW bonus))
Investigate d6 (+2)
Techno-Wizardry d10
Fighting
Notice
Shooting d6 (+3 w/revolver)

Hindrances
Overconfident (Major): Never give up...NEVER SURRENDER!
Greedy (Minor): Building something like this is going to take a load of bread to capitalize...where’m I gonna get the money?!
Habit (Minor): Too hyperactive!

Edges
Edge: Master of Magic (mega-magic ENGAGE)
Edge: Extra PPE (+5 PPE)
Edge: Mr Fixit (+2 Repair, halve time required on raise)
Edge: Investigator (+2 to Investigate, Streetwise, and Notice to sort through evidence)
Edge: Improved Recharge (recover 1 PPE/.5 hour)

Gizmos (spells):
AEGIS (Active ElectroGravitational Interception System)
Armor (2PPE, +2 armor/+4 on raise, duration 3 (+1/rnd), touch)
Greater Armor (5PPE, +5 MDC armor/+10 on raise, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Omniblaster
Bolt (1PPE/2d6 missile (up to 3), 2PPE/3d6 missile, 12/24/48)
Onslaught (2PPE/3d6MD missile (up to 4), 4PPE/6d6MD missile, 18/36/72)

TIAMAT (Thaumic Imaging And Magical Ambiance Testing)
Detect/Conceal Arcana (2PPE, sense supernatural creatures, objects or effects)
Exalted Detect/Conceal Arcana (4PPE, gain more info, 2PPE to analyze creature)

ROCKET BOOTS (No acronym; just rockets in boots)
Flight (3PPE, fly at Pace; 6PPE, 2x Pace, duration 3 (+1/rnd), touch)
Swift Flight (8PPE, 4x Pace and -1 to be hit; 10PPE 8x Pace and -2 to be hit, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Gear
Triax T-13 Field Mechanic
Armor 6, +1 Toughness, Full environment, 18lbs
Laser Torch, 3d6MD, RoF 1, AP 3, 4/8/16
Extensible Manipulator: Reach 1, Str 1d6, 1d6+1d4 dmg in melee w/laser finger
Optical Enhancements; 10x mag, thermal vision, spectrographic scanner, +2 Repair
10 mile communication, nightvision, loudspeaker, laser rangefinder


TW Revolver
2d6+2 dmg, RoF 1, AP 4, 6 shots, 12/24/48
+1 Shooting skill (Minor TW Augmentation)
2PPE to charge, 2PPE to make Mega-damage


TechnoWizard Specialized Toolkit
I use it for techno things that also involve wizardry.

NG-S2 Survival Pack
2 person tent, +20% water supplies
Sleeping bag
Flashlight w/knife; solar
Inertial compass (+2 to Survival to navigate)
Short range (5 mile) radio
First aid kit (+1 to healing; 3 uses)
Hunting/Fishing kit (+1 to Survival to forage)
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
Survival Knife, hatchet, wooden cross
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations


Credits: 2000

User avatar
Norona
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:41 pm

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Norona » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:43 am

Survival 18 (Challenge 3, Lead)
Survival 1d8+8 = 10: 2
Wild 1d6+8 = 14: 6
Ace 1d6 = 4: 4
Bonuses: +2 scene, +2 woodsman, +4 cooperative
Sadly, dangerous man-eating flora is common across North America. They wreaked havoc on local ecosystems by turning the bottom of the food chain, plants, into predators. While this particular variety is new to Norona the remedy is similar. Deezy's robots are able to clear a path but they will only deal with the vine, not the root of the problem - literally. Letting the small animated garden implements keep the vine busy, Norona and Zoffa trace the vine back to the stem. The dire wolf keeps the biting vines at bay, chomping them off with its mighty jaws.

Following the stem takes longer than anticipated, this plant appears to have been growing for sometime. As he hunts Norona shakes his head at the lack of local fauna, the plant has had to grow far and wide to find new sustenance. If unchecked it could collapse the ecosystem of the whole area. Finally, he locates the source and begins hacking with his vibro-sword, cutting as close to the base of them stem as possible.

The vines writhe and squirm, turning toward Norona to defined their point of origin but Deezy's robots and Zoffa's nips keep them busy. While he works, Norona repents to his Creator, "Creator, my apologies for attacking a living thing, but this is unnatural and threatens your creation."

Making the last hack he proceeds to dig up the roots. With help from everyone else he gatherings up the various vines and large root system and has Sierra light the whole thing up.

Zoffa support roll
Fighting 1d6+2 = 6: 4 (+1 support)
Character Information
Norona, Wilderness Scout
Armored Stats: Pace: 11, Toughness 10 (4)
PPE: 40/20

Bennies: 5

User avatar
Sierra Mackenzie
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Sierra Mackenzie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:31 am

Psionics 4; I guess put this wherever it's needed? I haven't included difficulty modifiers, so I'll put them in later and benny if it's needed
Psionics 1d12 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Encumbrance: 11/28
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
Liquid Courage: Vigor d10, Toughness: 8, ignore 1 point of Wounds (1 hour)
ISP: 20/20
Bennies: 7/3
Adventure Card
  • That’s Crazy Talk, Mister: Play this card to cause all non-wild card enemies suffer a -2 MAP as they stop to listen to your jabbering for one round.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
Sierra Mackenzie
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Sierra Mackenzie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:37 am

Dinosaur Swamp
Next few days
Round 0

“Ugh. Why does there have to be so much...mud!” Sierra complained, yanking her boot free and hopping on one foot as she tugged it on again. She felt her wet sock squishing inside and pulled a face. “i am so tired of this!” She flared up briefly, enough to harden the mud into a brittle clay that broke off in clumps.

Then the hairs on Sierra’s arms and neck tingled. She looked up to see everything covered in a faint blue haze. Power. Untapped potential. “Uh oh. We’re practically on top of a ley line,” she warned. “And, uh, something else!” Sierra exclaimed as a viney plant creature started to move, that burning sensation at the back of her skull warning her in time to jump clear.

Jareb jumps into the fray, whirling against the vines with his sword, Gift giggling on his back. Then someone is honking a horn loudly.

“God, I hate that sound!” Sierra said, glaring over at Toshiro, ready to just fry the damn APC for the annoyance, only then noticing the vehicle is stalled and sinking. “Oh!”

Toshiro manages to get it working again, however, and with a little help from Tyraxas manages to keep from sinking further.

Deezy scrambled out of the vehicle and released some sort of Terminator gardening implements that started to go at the vines, with Norona and his wolf helping with swords and teeth.

Sierra sees Conrad and Jameson moving through the brush, clearing out traps.

The firestarter rubs her hands together. It was nearly time for her to let off some heat anyway. “Alright! Light it up, bitch!” she said.

And then calls from her teammates come out that the danger is clear. The APC is back on solid-ish ground, the plant creatures have all been defoliated, and Conrad and Jameson toss aside the last of the traps.

Sierra deflates with a puff of smoke. “Well, isn’t that like getting a girl blue bean!” she grumbled. “Get a girl all worked up. Oh, yes, Norona. Let me clean up your lawn clippings for you.” Sierra rolled her eyes, shot off a burst of flame at the pile of slashed vegetation, and stalked back to the APC.

“Somebody better find me a god damned bath!” she shouted, grabbing a bottle of moonshine Lincoln had given her.
Everything Burns
1d10 = 9: 9
3-10: Anything highly flammable burns.
6-10: Anything flammable burns.
8-9: Water boils away over 2d6 = 10: 5, 5 rounds.
10: Anything not flammable burns or melts (metal, stone, ceramic, etc) and water superheats and evaporates immediately.
Gear
Sierra’s pack is in the car.
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Encumbrance: 11/28
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
Liquid Courage: Vigor d10, Toughness: 8, ignore 1 point of Wounds (1 hour)
ISP: 20/20
Bennies: 7/3
Adventure Card
  • That’s Crazy Talk, Mister: Play this card to cause all non-wild card enemies suffer a -2 MAP as they stop to listen to your jabbering for one round.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
Kuikku
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:20 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Kuikku » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:19 pm

Seymour +1
Fighting: 1d8 = 7: 7
Wild: 1d6 = 2: 2
As the party continues through the jungle Kuikku feels something is off. When they step into the clearing and get a look at the ley line everyone pauses. I have seen several lines before but nothing like this. It is almost like we are on the edge of a huge nexus. This can make things interesting.

Just as he finishes that thought the APC is struck. Blinking away the flash effect Kuikku notices the vehicle is starting to sink. As he starts that way Tyraxas swoops down and all but lifts it out of the muck. Ok, I guess they have that under control.

Suddenly Conrad calls out that there may be some traps to deal with. Not sure how much help I will be but at least I can do something. As he gets to the area Conrad stands up from the last trap. “Got 'em all, chummer.” he states with a grin.

Shrugging and walking away Kuikku notices a plant moving ahead. Seeing Jareb fly into battle Kuikku grins. Now this I can help with. Then several strange robots run past him and shredded vegetation starts flying in every direction. Narona, and his wolf, dart to the center of the melee and start chopping at the root cluster. By the time Kuikku gets there Sierra is burning off the last of the detritus.

Realizing he has been late to everything happening Kuikku chops fitfully at a few random vines and branches. “It looks like a few were missed. I got them.” Feigning satisfaction Kuikku starts back towards the APC to pick up the trail again. And I am supposed to be the fast one in the group. <sigh>

Status
Toughness: 14(6)
ISP: 9/10 (powering armor and regaining just as more power needed)
Bennies: 5
Character
Kuikku
Parry: 8
Toughness: 14(6)
Toughness with Cyber-Armor active: 20(8) MDC

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Pursuit » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:10 am

Conditions
The temperature hovers around 90 degrees fahrenheit and the humidity is oppressively high. Everyone (but Kuikku) is still covered in swamp muck. There is a truly gigantic ley line nearby, but it is as unstable as every line you have found in the swamp.

Challenge Round Two Results

Thanks to quick action, supernatural might, and incredible technical aptitude, the party gets the ATV back online and out of the sinking muck with little trouble, while Conrad single-handedly manages to disarm every trap in sight, more than making up for his former misstep.

In the meanwhile, the more martial members of the group make quick work of the attacking plants. Thus far, the 32nd has advanced almost unimpeded, despite the dangers of the swamp...

Total successes:
  • Round 1: 8
  • Round 2: 14


Setting the Stage for Round Three

You continue on deeper into the swamp, and you easily follow the signs of the passing creature Norona has been tracking along the ley line. The signs of the creature’s passing have only become easier to follow, as more and more broken and trampled vegetation is left in its wake. Where the standing water lets up enough to see the muddy bottom, Norona is startled to see that the creature’s track have grown to an enormous size; easily three or four times the size of Tyraxas’ own footprints!

Just as was the case during your battle with the vampires many weeks ago, the ley line here is gigantic and you must continue to travel through it in order to advance. The sky begins to darken and twilight falls, but it is difficult to tell that from within the steady blue glow of the ley line.

The party continues on until it becomes obvious that you will not overtake your quarry that night. Fortunately, you brought plenty of gear with you thanks to the APC (along with a temperature controlled environment, which is particularly helpful for Gift), and you are able to rest.

Over the next 1d4 = 3: 3 days, you continue to follow the strange creature’s trail, on alert for whatever you might find.


Round Three, Challenge One: This Again?

After what seems like an endless search, the ground begins to level out and become more solid, and you can all clearly see the giant footprints Norona has been following. The vegetation begins to thin a bit, and you begin to notice the odd velociraptor and barbarian here and there, all of them looking alert and wandering what to the experienced eye is obviously a perimeter.

It looks like you might be getting close, and that your way might be being watched again. Perhaps some of the stealthier party members have an answer for the sentries?

The Team Leader must roll one of the following skills: Notice, Stealth, Survival, Fighting, Shooting (with a silent weapon, such as a laser), Throwing, Driving (at -6), Piloting (at -6), or Arcane Skill (if appropriate). Anyone assisting her may roll any Skill they find appropriate. As with all of your challenges so far, you need three total successes in order to bypass the sentries without being seen, but because you have already observed the barbarians’ routines and patterns as guards, all rolls made for this challenge get a +2! What’s more, if you succeed in this challenge, the entire party will get a bonus reward on top of any other rewards earned (which I will dole out after all the challenges are completed).


Round Three, Challenge Two: Swamp Kaiju

Once you are past the sentries, you come across a most disconcerting sight: piles and piles of rotting carcasses. At first, you don’t believe what you are seeing, but the heat of the swamp mixes with the smell of rapidly decomposing meat and it becomes all too real. Most of the dead are from the local wildlife, and you see all shapes and sizes of dinosaurs, birds, snakes, and other swamp fauna represented among. Mixed in here and there, though, you see the occasional bodies of sentient beings, mostly barbarians, but one or two wearing more modern clothing or gear.

To get such a collection of the dead would have taken enormous effort, and though the bodies are already being swarmed by flocks of swamp flies, none of the corpses appears to be more than a few days old, at a glance.

Just beyond the piles of the dead, a large circle of barbarians and raptors stand swaying, the humans chanting and the dinosaurs letting out rhythmic chirps. At the head of the circle, the Raptor King Norona met earlier stands wearing the same necklaces and bracelets as before, but also a cloak of feathers across his back. On the ground before him is a mewling swamp cat with a broken leg, clearly frightened and thrashing against the ground. The cat is held in place by some unseen force, and the Raptor King gives a hissed incantation and slashes the animal’s throat with a razor-like claw, ending the animal’s suffering… or so it would seem.

From the open wound on the cat’s throat, a thick, smoke-like substance floats into the air, where it is met by a massive cloud of similar matter. It is as if someone had stolen all of the smoke from a wildfire and gathered it together in one place somehow.

Except that the smoke is constantly changing shape. One moment, it’s a set of massive jaws. The next, it’s a gigantic foreleg with claw-tipped toes, stomping down into the earth of the clearing. It constantly switches, cycling through a dozen, no, a hundred different forms faster than your eyes can track, until a pair of glowing red eyes from within the mass settles on you.

The smoke goes still and the Raptor King looks up from his kill, seeing you, and shows his teeth, whether in a snarl or a smile you cannot tell.

”Ah. The Outsider and his friends. How kind of you to bring yourselves so conveniently to our little casting circle. It saves me the trouble of going to find you.” A darkness rolls over the Raptor King’s eyes like a passing stormcloud, and then all of the raptors in the circle (at least two dozen in all) turn soundlessly as one and charge the party. The barbarians move a moment later, (perhaps three dozen of these) some of them launching arrows, some hefting mighty axes, and some firing odd-looking crossbows that seem to shoot bolts of ice instead of iron.

As the combatants rush towards you, the Raptor King points one arm at you and mutters another incantation, launching some arcane spell in your direction!

Simultaneously, the shadow coalesces into a single form: that of a gigantic T-Rex, easily three or four times Tyraxas’ size. It opens it’s jaws as if roaring, but no sound comes out, and it glares at the party through pulsing red eyes, not yet moving from the spot where it had gathered. Perhaps if you can manage to hold off the attacking barbarians and dinosaurs, you can find a way to dispel that creature?

Special for this Challenge; Please Read: This is a big one! For those familiar with the P&O Manual (which I’m using as inspiration for these challenges), I drew the SNAFU card to accompany this particular challenge, rolled to find out your target number and the dice exploded. For those who are not familiar with the P&O Manual, all you need to know is this: the target number for your first success in this challenge is a 14 (and every 4 above 14 will count as an additional success/raise)! To make things even more dangerous, whoever the Team Leader is will suffer 1d3 Wounds should you fail on this challenge, so consider carefully before you choose to have your character step into that role.

The Team Leader must roll one of the following skills: Fighting, Shooting, Throwing, K/Battle, Driving, Piloting, Survival (for setting hastily made traps), K/Demolitions (for setting hastily prepared charges), Arcane Skill, Taunt or Intimidation. If you can think of another appropriate skill not listed here and would like to be the Team Leader, just shoot me a message and we can see if it will work. Any teammates who help the leader may roll any skill that seems appropriate, and you must accumulate 3 successes on this challenge in order to clear it (meaning a cumulative result of 22).

Fair warning: I would not engage that shadow T-Rex creature in your narratives; you have plenty on your hands with the oncoming troops and magical attacks.

For Norona: Should Norona choose to lead this team, there is a special risk in it for him: he would not be able to Soak any wounds gained as a result of this challenge should the team fail (hi, Adventure Card!). On the other hand, he would get an extra Benny for taking the risk and playing up his character’s Hindrances.


Round Three, Challenge Three: Spell Slinging Barbarians!

Mixed in with the attackers rushing to meet you are a handful of barbarians who stop to chant or to fling dinosaur teeth in your direction (which, naturally, then grow to the size of short swords and embed themselves in trees, the ATV or, if you are unlucky enough, your character!). The barbarians have casters among their ranks, and all manner of arcane havoc is headed your way, unless you act quickly!

While much of the party is engaged with the onrushing warriors and prehistoric killers, some of you may want to take a moment to try and sort out the casting bad guys from the fighting bad guys, or this encounter could end quicker than you’d like!

The Team Leader must roll one of the following skills: Arcane Skill, Notice, K/Arcana (or other applicable knowledge, such as Occult), Shooting, Fighting, Throwing, Taunt, or Intimidation. Any teammates who help may roll any skill they choose, as long as it makes some kind of sense. Because they are mixed in with the other barbarians and are skilled casters in their own rights, all rolls for this challenge will be made at -2. As always, you need to accumulate 3 successes in order to advance.

Round Three, Challenge Four: Magic Is In the Air

The ley line continues to throw out a ton of interference as sparks dance and energy crackles through the air around you. There’s so much interference, in fact, that some of the team’s electronic devices are beginning to go haywire: lasers will randomly stop firing, radios will crackle with static instead of conveying crucial coordination, the APC screens will flicker at inopportune moments, etc.

One or two of your more technically capable members might want to see if they can do anything to help. Maybe they run from person to person on the battlefield performing quick field repairs on affected gear, or maybe they manage something else entirely. Either way, it sure would be easier to fight off this barbarian and raptor assault if the team’s gear would work properly.

The Team Leader must roll one of the following skills: K/Engineering, K/Electronics, K/Computers, other appropriate Knowledge skill (clear it with me first), Repair, or Arcane Skill (if appropriate). Any teammates who help may roll any skill they choose. Because you guys are operating from inside the ley line, all rolls for this challenge are made at -2 and you must accumulate 3 successes.

A Note About Procedure and Challenges

You guys have done great at the challenges so far and have accumulated 7 more successes than you needed over the past two rounds. Should you fail to complete all of the challenges above, your 7 extra successes from past challenges can make up some of the difference and still get you to your ultimate goal of helping the town.

That said, if you fail any of the individual challenges above, there may be consequences (especially for the Swamp Kaiju challenge, as mentioned in the description).

As always, let me know if you have any questions before posting, and good luck!

User avatar
Jareb
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Jareb » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:08 pm


Challenge 1:This again? Acheved three success.
Jareb looks at the saftey of the APC and its sealed enviormental controls. Then he looks at Gift, sweaty, balmy, barely breathing. Really no place for a child, let alone a defenseless infant.
Over the coms he sends a worried messege to Conrad but it goes out to the group as well, ” Conrad, thank you again for crafting the back in which I carry my dimunitive yet precious charge. I was wondering if and how much it would cost to make the pack enviormentally sealed? I have no money but I could keep a look for credits if I knew how much we were talking about. I am worried that prolonged heat in this jungle will kill Gift.” Jareb shakes his wings flinging moisture everywhere. It will kill me too. He takes a long swing of water from his canteen and refixes Gift’s own bottle. He pats her head smitten and looks to lift his pack back on his back. It has been a long trip and his parenting duties may be taking a toll.

Movement out of the corner of eye draws his attention. His voice is but a whisper, ”We are not alone. They seek to surprise us at the deep waters of the swamp yonder. I will cut them off before they reach that position...

Jareb quickly and without drawing too much attention brings himself through the air surprising the barbarian commander. I know her... So long ago, just before I encountered the aspect of lust. I met her... Golden hair like a rising sun. Dark eyes that could see my very nature. A stern heart, and a tempered soul. How does she live? He pushes the last few vines aside drawing his wings in and quick draws hs blade thrusting it just beneath the supple chin of the barbarian commander.

He whispers close to her ear, ” Remember the Angle you took in centeries ago? I am he and have returned. How are you still here?”

Her gaze fixes Jareb, she is unflinching despite her precarious position. Her eyes are different, and face slightly off... Like a daughter or perhaps a distance relative down the line.

Her face though is proud and her blue eyes soft and muted. Her hands quickly draw her bone dagger expertly lifting Jareb’s blade away from her face. She snarls, ” I have heard those stories. My mother told them to me, as she was told them by hers and so forth. How dare you prey upon my families heritage. I Alialian daughter of Betrial must keep our lands safe. How dare you walk our swamp without our leave...” She seemed to want to say more but held back whatever secrets she could keep and lunged at Jareb. Their reparte was quick and silient. In three parries and counter thrusts he had her at his mercy. From the ground she looked up at him with wide eyes as hs wings came unfureled and he revealed his magestic form.

Instead of striking a deadly blow he reaches down a hand, ” As I said, I have returned. You may not be Quana but you have her fierceness and her looks.” She seems taken aback by his name drop. He continues further musing on how his actions long ago have come back to haunt him, ” It is clear that the sins I commited long long ago have come back 10 fold. I do not regrett any of them. I may not be your father but you are a part of me. I can sense the celestial within however diluted throught the ages.” She finally takes his hand and lifts up out of the muck.

She wipes her cheek and Jareb catches her hand. He softly says while Gift giggles, ” My comrades and I are trying to save a nearby town. You don’t have to help us but please will you let us through unfettered? After we save the town we can try to kill each other.” He grins as he says the last part and tosses her back the two bone daggers she lost.
Not fatigued per his hindrence, 15 on the challenge is 3 successes!
Fatigued: vigor 1d8 = 6: 6 wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Taking Lead: 1d12 = 3: 3 wild 1d6 = 6: 6 ace 1d6 = 2: 2 benny for ef 1d6+2 = 5: 3
Jareb Combat data
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d8 (d10), Vigor d8, -2 to be hit from range via improved dodge.
Charisma: 0; Pace: 4; Parry: 8 ; Toughness: 16(10); Strain: 0,PPE:20/9
Combat edges:
  • Quick- redraw on 5 or less
    Elan
Command edges:
  • Command: +1 to unshake in command radius
    Hold the line: +1 toughness to troops under their command
    Natural Leader: Can share bennies with those under his command,
Active Powers and other bonuses: Improved Trademark Weapon (St Cathrine’s Blade), Improved Dodge (-2 to hit from Range)
[/list]
Bennies
5/3
+1 lucky
+1 high post rate
+1 shwarma
+1 for good writing
-1 EF
-1 reroll on fighting
+2 brown benny and interlude benny
-1 EF fighting roll for 3rd challenge

User avatar
Norona
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:41 pm

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Norona » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Survival 13
Survival 1d8+2 = 9: 7
Wild 1d6+2 = 6: 4
EE 1d6 = 4: 4
Total 13
Will add narrative shortly, feel free to support roll.
Character Information
Norona, Wilderness Scout
Armored Stats: Pace: 11, Toughness 10 (4)
PPE: 40/20

Bennies: 5

User avatar
Kuikku
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:20 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Kuikku » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:35 pm

Fighting: 1d8 = 4: 4
Wild: 1d6 = 3: 3

Reroll with Elan:
Fighting: 1d8+2 = 4: 2
Ace: 1d6+2 = 4: 2
Character
Kuikku
Parry: 8
Toughness: 14(6)
Toughness with Cyber-Armor active: 20(8) MDC

User avatar
Snake Eyes
Game Master
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Snake Eyes » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:54 pm

Tyraxas supports Norona, +3 to challenge
1d8 = 7: 7

Benny EE with Elan and prior
1d6+9 = 13: 4

WD
1d6 = 1: 1
Tyraxas narrative WIP
Beware the mesmerizing eyes of the snake!
GM Bennies: 5/9 (-1 EE puppet, -1 EE slumber, -1 EE puppet, -1 reroll dmg Curatrix)
Wild Card Bennies:
CM left: 0/2 (unshake, soak, dead)
CM right: 0/2 (-2 trying to hurt Everett and failing)
NM left: 0/2 (soak, soak, dead)
NM right: 0/2 (soak, soak)
Summoner: 0/2 (unshake, EE FM, dead)
Statheros: 1/2 (reroll resist slumber)

User avatar
Toshiro 'Cybermonk'
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 9:19 am

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Toshiro 'Cybermonk' » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:35 pm

Spell Slinging Barbarians
Identifying source of magic attacks and sighting advantages(-2 scene, +2 Cybernetic awareness, +2 cyber eyes)
Notice 1d8+2 = 8: 6
Wild 1d6+2 = 4: 2
EE with Elan
1d6+10 = 13: 3
OOC Comments
Toshiro's Character Sheet
Wounds: 0/4; Fatigue: 0/3; [/size]

Parry: 5[/size]
Toughness: 23(12 MDC)[/size]
Active Effects Chips: +3DT Driving +2 knowledge(electronics)[/size]

Notable Edges: Woodsman, Quick, Brawny, I know a Guy, Nerves of Steel, Danger Sense, Improved Arcane Resistance, Ace, Combat Ace, Elan[/size]


Bennies: 4/3 [/size]
+1 for Schwarma!
+1 for writting
-2 for rerolls on sinking apc
+1 for organizing Round 3!

Aventure Cards:

In the Zone
- Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene

Last Stand
- Your hero and any adjacent allies gain +2 Parry and Toughness. Allies who move into contact after the card is played gain the bonus as well. The effect ends when a Joker is dealt.

Edit Signature

User avatar
Deezy Klatta
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Deezy Klatta » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:43 pm

Magic In the Air

Rolls: Repair 12, 1 benny spent
Repair 1d10+4 = 6: 2 or 1d6+4 = 6: 2, includes -2 scene penalty
Benny to reroll 1d10+4 = 12: 8 or 1d6+4 = 9: 5
OOC Comments
Player Name: Salmon Max
Google Handle: samminmax@gmail.com

Character Name: [urk=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php ... =167#p1803]Dorothy Zane “DZ” Klatta[/url]
Rank:Novice Experience: 10 (7/30/17) Advances Left: 0
Race: Human
Iconic Framework: Techno-Wizard
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Charisma: -1; Pace: 6; Parry: 4; Toughness: 12 (6); PPE: 20
Skills:
Knowledge: Arcana d10
Knowledge: Engineering d10 (+1)
Knowledge: Science d6
Knowledge: Electronics d10 (+1)
Repair d10 (+2 Edge, +4 armor (inc TW bonus))
Investigate d6 (+2)
Techno-Wizardry d10
Fighting
Notice
Shooting d6 (+3 w/revolver)

Hindrances
Overconfident (Major): Never give up...NEVER SURRENDER!
Greedy (Minor): Building something like this is going to take a load of bread to capitalize...where’m I gonna get the money?!
Habit (Minor): Too hyperactive!

Edges
Edge: Master of Magic (mega-magic ENGAGE)
Edge: Extra PPE (+5 PPE)
Edge: Mr Fixit (+2 Repair, halve time required on raise)
Edge: Investigator (+2 to Investigate, Streetwise, and Notice to sort through evidence)
Edge: Improved Recharge (recover 1 PPE/.5 hour)

Gizmos (spells):
AEGIS (Active ElectroGravitational Interception System)
Armor (2PPE, +2 armor/+4 on raise, duration 3 (+1/rnd), touch)
Greater Armor (5PPE, +5 MDC armor/+10 on raise, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Omniblaster
Bolt (1PPE/2d6 missile (up to 3), 2PPE/3d6 missile, 12/24/48)
Onslaught (2PPE/3d6MD missile (up to 4), 4PPE/6d6MD missile, 18/36/72)

TIAMAT (Thaumic Imaging And Magical Ambiance Testing)
Detect/Conceal Arcana (2PPE, sense supernatural creatures, objects or effects)
Exalted Detect/Conceal Arcana (4PPE, gain more info, 2PPE to analyze creature)

ROCKET BOOTS (No acronym; just rockets in boots)
Flight (3PPE, fly at Pace; 6PPE, 2x Pace, duration 3 (+1/rnd), touch)
Swift Flight (8PPE, 4x Pace and -1 to be hit; 10PPE 8x Pace and -2 to be hit, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Gear
Triax T-13 Field Mechanic
Armor 6, +1 Toughness, Full environment, 18lbs
Laser Torch, 3d6MD, RoF 1, AP 3, 4/8/16
Extensible Manipulator: Reach 1, Str 1d6, 1d6+1d4 dmg in melee w/laser finger
Optical Enhancements; 10x mag, thermal vision, spectrographic scanner, +2 Repair
10 mile communication, nightvision, loudspeaker, laser rangefinder


TW Revolver
2d6+2 dmg, RoF 1, AP 4, 6 shots, 12/24/48
+1 Shooting skill (Minor TW Augmentation)
2PPE to charge, 2PPE to make Mega-damage


TechnoWizard Specialized Toolkit
I use it for techno things that also involve wizardry.

NG-S2 Survival Pack
2 person tent, +20% water supplies
Sleeping bag
Flashlight w/knife; solar
Inertial compass (+2 to Survival to navigate)
Short range (5 mile) radio
First aid kit (+1 to healing; 3 uses)
Hunting/Fishing kit (+1 to Survival to forage)
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
Survival Knife, hatchet, wooden cross
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations


Credits: 2000

User avatar
Sierra Mackenzie
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Re: 9. Lure of the Wilderness

Post by Sierra Mackenzie » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:00 am

Psionics 6; +1 Success to Norona
Psionics 1d12 = 4: 4
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
Benny for Extra Effort 1d6+4 = 6: 2
Dinosaur Swamp
Afternoon
Round 0

Sierra sat back, enjoying the cool air conditioning of the vehicles, her coat off for maximum skin exposure as she swapped scouting duties with Jareb, taking a break from the heat of the swamp. She guzzled some water with a tequila chaser.

“Wake me when something interesting happens,” Sierra murmured, drifting off.

She didn’t know how long she’d napped. It was difficult. The ley line made her skin prickle, her powers jazzed. Suddenly the APC lurched to a stop. Sierra popped out of the truck and waved a hand in front of her face.

“Ew! That’s a lot of dead bodies. And a horrible stench! Oh, shit. And that’s a lot of barbarians and raptors! And that’s a big smoke monster!”

Sierra’s wings exploded outward, lifting her into the air. She laid down an area of intense heat that the charging mass had to go through, hoping to sap their strength, wavering their vision with the heat distortions.

Then Sierra threw up some walls of flame, hoping to herd them off to the flanks, open some space for them to fight.

And then Sierra started laying down the devastation, blasting fire at the rushing horde, her form shrouded by fire as she kept moving, flying here, darting there. She moved to the back, attacking the rear of the horde, fire spreading in the gap.
Everything Burns
1d10 = 6: 6
3-10: Anything highly flammable burns.
6-10: Anything flammable burns.
8-9: Water boils away over 2d6 = 10: 5, 5 rounds.
10: Anything not flammable burns or melts (metal, stone, ceramic, etc) and water superheats and evaporates immediately.
Gear
Sierra’s pack is in the car.
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Parry: 5; Toughness: 7
Encumbrance: 11/28
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
Liquid Courage: Vigor d10, Toughness: 8, ignore 1 point of Wounds (1 hour)
ISP: 20/20
Bennies: 7/3
Adventure Card
  • That’s Crazy Talk, Mister: Play this card to cause all non-wild card enemies suffer a -2 MAP as they stop to listen to your jabbering for one round.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

Post Reply

Return to “32nd SET Adventure Forum”