Shooting Stars…and Bars

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:38 pm

One week after the ordeal in the desert, the herd arrives in the vicinity of Roswell, New Mexico. There is very little to distinguish the wilderness from the desert they just left, with the exception of the nearby Pecos River. Abby leads the herd into a shallow box canyon east of the river.

Sutter informs the posse that he intends to sell some of his herd to the Confederate Army at the nearby fort on the other side of the Pecos. Should he be unable to do so, he plans to sell the cattle to a buyer in town, as Dixie Rails’ main line runs through Roswell. Sutter takes Abby with him along with two of the cowboys. He leaves Luke in charge until he returns, with orders to everyone to stay out of trouble and keep their heads down. Rest and plenty of water is refreshing after the droughts the posse has been dealing with. Luke allows everyone in turn to make a small trip into town 1 or 2 at a time to replenish any supplies.

Late the second night the herd is near Roswell, a distant rumble from the west seems to foretell an approaching thunderstorm. Some of the more experienced cowhands begin fetching canvas tarps from the chuck wagon, grumbling about a long, wet night ahead. A flicker of light at first appears to be a lightning flash on the horizon, followed by more rumbling. Then the flickering becomes a steady glow, which abruptly rises off the ground, toward the clouds to the west…

The Longhorns, always quick to seize a chance to become restless, begin to stir at the strange goings-on. Their mood worsens by the second
as the arc of the strange object streaking into the sky begins to turn its trajectory toward the Lazy S herd. Fortunately, shortly thereafter, it rises into the clouds, and although its rumble can still be clearly heard, at least its glow ceases to threaten the skittish cows.

Suddenly, there’s a flash and the object, now clearly jetting flame and smoke, plummets out of the clouds and hurtles toward the ground about a mile or so from camp. Luke Canton quickly sets the crew to settling the cattle before a full-fledged stampede can materialize. He turns to the posse and says, "You greenhorns git over there and find out what that thing is! I don’t want you muckin’ things up tryin’ to rein in these bullheaded brutes in the dark."

What do you do?

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:20 pm

Notice 7
Notice 1d6+2 = 3: 1
Wild 1d6+2 = 7: 5
Archibald took the opportunity of going into town when his turn came around, he had a small collection of letters that he wished to post destined for Canada to the north and across the Atlantic to dear old England. He also wanted to see whether he could get hold of any more tea and a new pipe, a replacement for the one he'd lost during the battle with the...mortally challenged and railway thugs. Additionally, he also remembered his promise to the Mexican cook and sought out some oil.


"How...odd." Muttered Archibald when he heard the rumbling, putting his journal down and glancing up at the sky to watch the object's erratic flight through the heavens before it came crossing down to earth. He was already on his feet when Luke shouted his orders, to which Archibald turned to his compatriots. "Well chaps, and ladies, seems like we have our marching orders."

Note to GM
Since Archie is/was an officer in the Royal Engineers, feasible to do a Smarts roll to see whether Archie recognises whether the object is man made?

Smarts 1d6 = 5: 5
Wild 1d6 = 3: 3
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jeff Milton » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:41 am

Notice=7
Notice=7
1d6 = 4: 4
1d6 = 6: 6

1d6 = 1: 1
Jeff didn't need anything in town in particular, but he went in for a drink and to have his clothing laundered.

When the thunderstorm starts, he makes his way to the chuckwagon to borrow a slicker, and is just pulling it on when the object crashes down and Luke orders him and the others to investigate. Nodding, he mounts up, muttering half to himself, "Probably some damn-fool ghost rock contraption" Once the others are ready he moves out.

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Bishop » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:03 pm

Notice 9
Notice 1d6 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6 = 3: 3
Before they leave to deal with the latest scare Bishop offers to use an arrow to call darkness over the cattle. ”It might wear them out and leave them with some bumps and bruises but if anyone’s worried they’ll stampede and broken bones or death is the alternative I can try.”
As they prepare to leave she hopes Jeff is right and it’s not anything more ominous than a local messing around with power they should leave alone.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by John Baxter » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:29 pm

Notice
1d8 = 2: 2
1d6 = 4: 4

John stays with the herd; this being Confederate territory, he was not one to give them anything if he could help it and he kept his mouth shut.

As John watched the lights, he readied his rifle, trying to figure out what it was.

Knowledge occult
OOC Comments
1d6 = 4: 4
1d6 = 6: 6 ace 1d6 = 2: 2
The_Marshall wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:38 pm
"You greenhorns git over there and find out what that thing is! I don’t want you muckin’ things up tryin’ to rein in these bullheaded brutes in the dark."
No, we've kept this herd together better than you, but we're still the greenhorns. John fumed inside, but kept a civil tongue.

"Come on people, lets roll out." he yells to the others, holding his rifle up in the air, "finding out what this thing is isn't going to happen by itself.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jack » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:22 am

Notice
Notice 1d6 = 6: 6
WIld 1d6 = 5: 5
Jack was just gettign ready to head into town. He had run out of tobacco for his pipe almsot a week ago and he really wanted a good smoke. Then the fireworks begand and Mr. Sutter has yet again sent them on a job.

I guess the Tobacco can wait another day or so.

Jack walks back to his mount, gets up in the saddle and draws his shotgun. He ensures it is loaded, turns his mule and starts to follow the others.

What exactly are we suppose to do when we get there? What ever it was, shouldn't we be checking where it came from instead of where it landed? This would be a great distraction to get the herd unguarded don't you agree?
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Spill the Beans The subject of your questioning tells you everything you want to know, whether by friendly persuasion, intimidation, or force.

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:41 pm

Luke explains "I don't right know what it is. That's why I need you to check it out. Just make sure it isn't a threat to the herd. The rest of us will guard the herd. If you think you can find where it came from then see what you can." He motions you all along and turns around and helps the other hands to help calm the heard and keep them reigned in.
Archie
From the movements and such it does appear that it is most likely man made.

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Hope Monaghan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:20 am

Streetwise to sell gear 14; that should get me half price on everything
Streetwise 1d4+4 = 8: 4
Ace 1d4+8 = 12: 4
Ace 1d4+12 = 14: 2
Wild 1d6+4 = 6: 2
Selling
6 Colt Peacemakers (double action)(El Cheapo) = $22.50
2 Double barrel shotguns (El Cheapo) = $17.50
3 ‘76 rifles (El Cheapo) = $30
Total = $70
Outside Roswell, NM
Night
Round 0

Hope went into town packing all the extra gear they had taken off the bayou boys or found at the abandoned homestead at the watering hole. She also figured she could pick up some ladies’ necessaries for herself, Bishop, and Abby while they were in town. She asked around and found a buyer and talked him up to a decent price for the el cheapo weapons she had, as well as a shop owner to buy the jewelry.

Back at camp, Hope was brushing the dust out of her long red hair when the light show occurred. She quickly bound her hair up in braids again and grabbed Devil Eyes to join the others to check it out, as ordered by Luke, grabbing her guns and tossing her saddlebags up. She grabbed up a lantern from the cook wagon so they would have some light.

“How far out do you think it landed?” Hope asked. “Going to be slow, dangerous going in the dark on horses.” It wouldn’t be much safer on foot, but at least a horse wouldn’t step in a gopher hole.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
$152 Confederate (Hope)
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 am

Notice 7
Notice 1d6+2 = 5: 3
Wild 1d6+2 = 7: 5
"Curiouser and curiouser..." Archibald muttered to himself, nothing that it sounded like some sort of contraption. It would make a change from the threats they'd encountered thus far on the cattle drive.

"Though it's probably unrelated to our Indian friend, we cannot stand idle in case it proves to be a threat." Archibald addressed the others. "So tally ho I say!"
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:53 pm

The object’s landing point isn’t hard to find. Small fires lit by the impact serve as beacons as you guys make the way through the sparsely vegetated countryside. Even without the fires, though, it’s likely you could easily have pinpointed the spot on the flat ground near the river. Upon reaching the scene, you discover the unidentified object is actually a man in something that appears to be close to Confederate grays wearing a large rocket pack. Or, rather, was. The man has a large bullet sized hole in the front of his jacket and his body seems covered in burns. The man’s landing left a lot to be desired, not the least of which was his own survival. The rocket pack suffered a similar fate and now is capable of flying only if tossed off a cliff—and then only as long as it takes to reach the ground. A couple of papers litter the ground nearby not quite yet destroyed by the fire. One appears to be some kind of bank note, and the other a cryptic drawing of a man.

Perhaps the most strange part of the scene of all is the man must of been some how alive right after the crash because right at his left hand’s index finger are the words: Fuck y- as if he was trying to give the what for to someone.

As you comb through the wreckage something about this scene strikes a chord within you and you feel the need to share whatever comes to mind with the rest of your comrades. Perhaps your pappy used to make model rockets with you when you were a kid. Or maybe your old flame was a teller at a bank. whatever it is something jarred something deep and profound.

OK hombre’s we got a bit O’ a mystery out here on the plains. Check down below for the item that catches your heroes eye and then roll a d4 and consult the table down below. Also for an extra bonus whomever gives the most colorful F-bomb in their ‘Lude gets a bonus piece of XP.

The d4 Roll:
1) Tragedy Strikes- This tale is a real tear jerky, any dainty folks who roll this become shaken when combat starts. +1 benny.
2) Victory Happens- Wow triumph abound in this tale of heroism and unbridled awesome. When combat starts you get a +2 to whatever your hombre’s first action is
3) Love... Love... All you need is love: A tale of the heart, of true romance drips from your lips. When combat starts you get an extra action card
4) Mystery Unleashed: This mystery brings up just another mystery in your thing you call a life. When combat starts your location is unknown. Place yourself where you like at the start of your 1st turn.

The good ole Mysteries:

-Jacket with a bullet hole and body covered in burns
- Busted Rocket
-Banker note
-Cryptic drawing of a man
-Confederate Greys

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:16 pm

Notice
Notice 1d6+2 = 6: 4
Wild 1d6+2 = 5: 3
d4 Roll: 1d4 = 2: 2

"Curious..." Archibald muttered as he examined both the man and the contraption strapped to his back. "I'd say this man was a Confederate soldier, though one that appears to have suffered a mishap."

"I've noted the Confederates seem to have great admiration for soldiers, they even considered me a war hero due to my service in Africa." Continued Archibald. "All poppycock of course as I did not see much in the way of action and missed all the actual battles."

"Now my grandfather would've been a better candidate, he served in the Fighting Fortieth under Wellesley during the Penninsular War and then held the center at Waterloo...all by account fought like the devil to hold off the vaunted French Imperial Guard." Archibald added, pausing to recall a pleasant memory with a smirk. "Of the latter he rated spying Bonnie himself higher than the Tyrant's defeat."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Bishop » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:07 pm

1d4 = 3: 3
Bishop stills when she comes across a strange drawing of a man. There’s something about the shape of his jaw that looks familiar and she’s thrown back to memories of a past love. Jamie was the one and only man she’d gotten serious with and she’d neglected to mention her hexslinging until he was down on one knee holding out a ring. She’d panicked, her cautious nature stalling her from such a big commitment, especially without him knowing every part of her. ”We need to talk,” she’d said. And then she’d been vindicated in her desire to keep secrets. Unnatural, he’d called her abilities. He’d struck out in anger and fear and Bishop used the magic he was so sure was evil to tie him up and skip town. It was a lesson learned the hard way but she was all the more cautious and better for it. The next person who attacked her over her abilities hadn’t been treated so kindly and she kept her bow primed when meeting new people.
Character Summary
Bishop a Hexslinger
Charisma: 2
Parry: 5
Pace: 6, d6 to run
Toughness: 5
Grit: 1
Notable Edges: Whateley blood
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Shooting d8, Hexslinging d8, Notice d6, Streetwise d4, Survival d4, Riding d4, Fighting d6, Stealth d4, Guts d4
Equipment of Note: Hexslinger bow
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/3
Action Cards:
Fate Chips: 2/2
Character Sheet
Signature

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by John Baxter » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:51 am

Notice 11
1d8 = 3: 3
wild 1d6 = 6: 6 ace 1d6 = 5: 5

Common knowledge 7
1d8 = 7: 7
wild 1d6 = 4: 4

As they ride up, John can see the uniform and inwardly curses. Lovely, a confederate. he spits on the ground before climbing down from his horse. He was Union through and through, so a dead reb wasn't going to break his heart.

He looked over the body, checking for identification. Presumably this one is from the fort in what looked like a Smith and Robards invention. Obviously didn't end well.

1d4 = 1: 1

Once of his earliest assignments when he'd signed up to the Union Army had been to deliver orders to a platoon out defending a ford. He'd found the bodies laid out in lines in a glade nearby and there had been something very wrong.

Those dirty fucking reb bastards had eaten their stomachs. He hadn't hated the enemy before that day, but from then on, he hated the rebs.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jeff Milton » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:01 am

OOC Comments
Notice
1d6 = 1: 1
1d6 = 1: 1
OOC Comments
I almost rerolled the snake eyes on the notice check, but I thought it might be interesting to go with it
Sadly, Jeff's a bit to polite to drop F-bombs around the ladies. At least out loud
1d4 = 2: 2

Seeing the bullet hole in the man's jacked brought back memories of Jack Barnes, the last of the outlaw gang he had gunned down. "Last time I saw a confed jacket with a bullet hole in it, was back home in Rock Creek. And I'd made the hole." Lost in thought and not paying any attention to his surroundings ...

...Jeff continues, "Rock creek was was so f-- small we didn't even have a sherrif. But when the Barnes boys came into town, and the trouble started, someone had to do somethin'. They had just enough whiskey in them not to quit,and not enough to spoil their aim." Jeff rubs his side absentmindedly, memory of an old pain. Damn them. All they had to do was high-fucking-tail out of there and they'd still be alive. And I'd still be there, with Mary. "But lucky for me, they didn't think a small town homesteader would be much trouble. Even as they were dying, they couldn't believe it."
1d4 = 1: 1

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Hope Monaghan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:33 am

1d4 = 4: 4

Outside Roswell, NM
Night
Round 0

Hope murmured a quiet prayer for the dead Confederate as they examined the body. She gathered up some of the papers and flipped through them. She stopped when she saw the banker’s note. Harrison Bank & Trust out of Abilene. Hope remembered the town. She and Davey had lived there for a few months, scraping by. They’d left pretty quick. Davey said he’d gotten a lead on a good job, but they needed to catch the train now. She had packed up what she could in the time Davey gave her. He seemed jumpy. There was a lot of commotion downtown. Someone had robbed the bank. She didn’t think anything of it. They’d never had enough money to need a bank. Now that she thought about it, though, Davey’s job had fallen through, but she’d found a stack of notes like this stashed in the bottom of his carpetbag a few months later.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
$152 Confederate (Hope)
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jack » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Notice
Notice 1d6 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Jack rode up with the others but, stayed back a bit. He still wasn't so sure about the happenings out here in the far west and he didn't want any surprises. While the others investigated, he kept an eye out for anyone or anything near them or watching them.

Mystery
Mystery 1d4 = 1: 1
Jack listened to the description of the man and his contents including the mention of a bank note. Bank notes. There were plenty of them at the restaurant, all denominations and even a few Confederate notes. jack knew he shouldn't have taken them but, he needed to move on and they weren't being used for anything. The man just collected them and stored them and every other Sunday, he pulled them out and counted them all over again.
"Just getting by" was always the answer whenever someone needed new clothes, shoes or medicine. Long days suffering because he had to count instead of spend. Well, Jack is no longer there and the place burned down. He saw their eyes from a distance. She was crying, holding the other two and he was just standing there, so proud and angry but, you could tell he was mourning the most important thing to him, the notes. So sad how they consumed him and his love for his family dwindled.


Shaking himself out of the memory, Jack continued to keep watch as the scene was investigates.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Spill the Beans The subject of your questioning tells you everything you want to know, whether by friendly persuasion, intimidation, or force.

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Hope Monaghan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:53 pm

OOC=Notice 9]
Notice 1d4 = 4: 4
Ace 1d4+4 = 8: 4
Ace 1d4+8 = 9: 1
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4[/OOC]
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:17 pm

As the posse investigates the scene you all grasp onto some interesting facts with the pieces you examined.

1. The rocket pack has several bullet holes. This was probably responsible for the crash.
2. There is a bullet hole in the jacket of his uniform. However, there is no corresponding wound on the corpse.
3. The man’s pants, while they initially look like standard issue, are actually just common trousers dyed to look like a Confederate uniform.
4. The bank notes are from Deseret bank, these are seldom seen outside of Deseret itself, so it’s a tad unusual to find them on a dead body in New Mexico.
5. The drawings of what appears to be a mechanical man, along with cryptic notes consisting primarily of chemical formulae and engineering
calculations. While the document at first glance appears to be a blueprint, it’s actually looks like an attempt to reverse-engineer one of Hellstromme’s automatons.

9 armed confederate soldiers quickly move up to surround the posse with guns drawn as you are investigating catching many of you unaware. The lead man shouts "Step Away from the Jet Pack!"
OOC Comments
Surprise:
Hope, John, and Jeff managed to notice them moments before they get into position.
Bishop, Archibald, and Jack are not dealt in.

Anyone going for guns or magic will need an agility post first. They are all about 10 yards away from you with Winchester 73's. The one speaking is brandishing a colt. It is dark and shooting will be at -2 and you cannot see them outside of 10 yards. Please reach out to me in hangouts with any questions or shoot me a pm.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by John Baxter » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:21 pm

Notice 14
OOC Comments
1d8 = 8: 8 1d8 = 6: 6
wild 1d6 = 5: 5
stealth 7
OOC Comments
1d6 = 3: 3
1d6 = 3: 3
Benny for EE 1d6 = 4: 4
John spies the Confederate soldiers before they get the drop on the group.
"we have company people.

Guessing he stole those plans to keep them away from the Confederacy. Don't know whom this fella is, but not letting the rebs have this back considering he was willing to run against a pill
OOC Comments
To be shot, to take a bullet
for them. He grabs the plans and slides them up the back of his shirt, turning to face the arriving soldiers as he does so.

"No problem here," he holds up his hands to show he has no weapons to hand before backing away from the body, "we saw something fall out of the sky and came to investigate tis all.
He looks down at the body smouldering on the floor
"Looks like he's one of yours judging by the uniform, so we'll get out of your way of you retrieving your man."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jeff Milton » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:28 pm

Jeff raises his hands and steps slowly and carefully back. "We jus' saw the explosion and wanted t'make sure it wasn't a threat to the herd."

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:56 pm

Notice 7
Notice 1d6+2 = 6: 4
Wild 1d6+2 = 7: 5
"Captain Ellsworth, Her Majesty's Royal Engineers." Archibald calls out as he addresses the soldiers, stressing two particular words as he spoke. "Saw a commotion and came to investigate."

"Be a chap and wire Richmond and ask for a General Morrogh, a rum fellow but he should be able to vouch for me." Added Archibald. "In turn I can vouch for these ladies and gentlemen."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:12 pm

Most of the men move a little closer, still waving their guns. The man who seems the lead looks at you all a bit puzzled as if the name actually might be someone he remembered. He shouts again "Drop your weapons and step away from the jetpack! You will be detained until your story can be verified."

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jack » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:11 am

The_Marshall wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:12 pm
Most of the men move a little closer, still waving their guns. The man who seems the lead looks at you all a bit puzzled as if the name actually might be someone he remembered. He shouts again "Drop your weapons and step away from the jetpack! You will be detained until your story can be verified."
Jack watched the men approach and kept his finger near the trigger of his shotgun. He didn't raise the gun or point it at anyone but, in case of trouble he was ready to fire.

I do apologize, I am very new here out west. Under exactly what authority are you detaining us and exactly why? And especially interesting is why was a man flying? No, I'm sorry, especially interesting is HOW was a man flying? I mean, he isn't a bird and I don't see a hot air baloon anywhere Hmmm....

(starts to talk to himself out loud)

I wonder if it would be possible to mount a gattling gun to a flying machine and attack people with it.

He looks over at the smouldering heap

If that thing works, and it can handle the weight.... a whole flock of them flying over a battlefield could wipe out....the prospects would be great.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Spill the Beans The subject of your questioning tells you everything you want to know, whether by friendly persuasion, intimidation, or force.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by John Baxter » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:38 pm

Rolls carried

John continued to back away; now killing a few rebels didn't bother him but doing so pointlessly did.

"Uh Jack," John holds his hands up, "don't antagonise the soldiers in their own country retrieving what appears o their property."
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jack » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:55 pm

John Baxter wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:38 pm
Rolls carried
John continued to back away; now killing a few rebels didn't bother him but doing so pointlessly did.
"Uh Jack," John holds his hands up, "don't antagonise the soldiers in their own country retrieving what appears o their property."
Jack breaks out of his creative babbling when John speaks up.
Oh no, I don't mean to antagonise. Like I said I'm new out here and didn't know their authority. I didn't realize that we were in Confederate territory.

Jack turns to the person that was talking. My apologies Sir. I meant no offense...... If you ever get what ever that was working, I would be glad to come and help you mount a Gatling to it. The possibilities of such a weapon would be enormous......Sorry, I get that way sometimes when talking about guns. I'm Jack Wagner, Gunsmith at your service.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Spill the Beans The subject of your questioning tells you everything you want to know, whether by friendly persuasion, intimidation, or force.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:37 pm

Notice 9
Notice 1d6+2 = 8: 6
Wild 1d6+2 = 4: 2
Notice Explodes 1d6 = 1: 1
"Mr Wagner..." Archibald says solemnly. "I'd hardly expected you to be touting for business in this instance. Another time, and place, perhaps?"

"Gentlemen." Said Archibald as he turned back to the Confederates. "If it helps expedite matters, here are my credentials. Though as an officer of the Crown I must request that both I and my fellows are given every curiosity afforded to an officer. Anything less and I shalt lodge a formal complaint with your superiors in Richmond and with the British embassy."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Hope Monaghan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:54 am

Outside Roswell, NM
Night
Round 0

Hope noticed the movement in the darkness about the same time John warned them. She stood up, bank notes still in her hand, as the Confederates emerged with guns trained on them. She quickly slipped the bank notes into her shirt and put up her hands.

“Not looking for any trouble, sir,” she said, unconsciously adjusting her stance to best present her feminine assets. Damn these men’s clothes. “Is he a friend of yours? I’m sorry for your loss. He must have been a very brave man to wear one of those...things, whatever it is.” She glanced at the others. No one else was putting down their guns, so she didn’t either.

Devil Eyes snorted angrily and Hope turned to hush the horse. Her shotgun and rifle were still in their saddle holsters, so she only wore her Peacemaker and the hidden Derringer.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
$152 Confederate (Hope)
Deseret bank notes (Hope)
Mechanical plans (John)
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jack » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:43 am

Archibald Ellsworth wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:37 pm
Notice 9
Notice Original post: 1d6+2 = 8: 6
Wild Original post: 1d6+2 = 4: 2
Notice Explodes Original post: 1d6 = 1: 1
"Mr Wagner..." Archibald says solemnly. "I'd hardly expected you to be touting for business in this instance. Another time, and place, perhaps?"
Notice_7
Notice 1d6 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Wild_Explode 1d6 = 1: 1

Oh, no, no, no. Not touting business just thinking out loud. I mean imagine the possibilities though. With an invention like that my name would be right up next to individuals like Richard Gatling, Henri-Gustave Delvigne, Eliphalet Remington and Samuel Colt. My dream of making a famous and popular weapon would be filled. I'm sure as a soldier you can see the possibilities...Sorry, I get carried away sometimes.

Jack shakes his head, pulls out his pipe and lights it. Seeming to be looking at nothing in particular like he was dream but, actually he was watching the reactions of the soldiers and getting ready to fight if needed.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Spill the Beans The subject of your questioning tells you everything you want to know, whether by friendly persuasion, intimidation, or force.

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:35 pm

The soldiers move in around the group. One man disarms each of you in his cursory search of obvious weapons. The men do not find the weapon Hope has tucked away. None seem too comfortable frisking a lady. They bind all your hands and take the quickly stashed papers from those of you that have them. You are then blindfolded and taken somewhere inside a facility. It is dark and underground somewhere. Several days spent there is entirely with a sack on your heads. Each of you is taken for for grueling interrogation sessions. Unable to find anything of value you are eventually released when Sutter comes to find you and Archibald's papers check out.

On the way back to camp Sutter speaks up "Thanks for looking into the crash but I think we may have ruffled a few feathers. It looks like neither the Confederates or Dixie Rails is willing to purchase our cattle. We won't have much rest but will be heading North come morning. Also one of the boys picked up a 13 year old girl. I guess she is his cousin or something. She lost her family and he asked that she tag along. She has been in camp since last night. She likes playing with cards and I think the family name is Whateley."

Arriving back at the camp you guys find you are able to get some much needed food and drink along with a bit of rest. Many back at the camp are thankful for your return.
OOC Comments
The new kid is actually a buddy of mine he promised his character will be put on site this evening so I can verify him and move him into the group. His character's name is Lucinia Whateley. Please let me know in hangouts if you have any questions. I will get another post up sometime this weekend to follow but figured you can use this time to introduce yourselves to the new kid and realize that now your ranchers and babysitters.

User avatar
Lucinia_Whateley
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Lucinia_Whateley » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Notice = 1d4 = 2: 2 Wild Die = 1d6 = 6: 6 Ace = 1d6 = 4: 4

Off in the distance, a small figure makes herself visible, walking towards the group at a careful pace while scanning the surroundings. On her head sits a cowboy hat that looks just a bit too big and doesn't quite go with what looks to have been an expensive set of clothes sometime in the past.The young girl gives a somewhat nervous smile, resting her hand on her duster's front pocket. Up close, any who care to look can see her skin is unusually pale for someone who spends absolutely any time in the sun at all, and while her brown hair might try its best to muddle the issue, that along with her bright green eyes damns the child as a Whateley.

"Hello. I suspect you're the fellas and ladies I was meant to speak to?"

Lucinia looks at those gathered appraisingly, her eyes lingering on Hope the longest, taking some comfort in seeing a woman. "If you'll have me, I promise to make myself useful as a I can. I can shoot a bit, and... I know a few other tricks, too, if it comes down to it."

Moment of truth. she thinks. They look like tough enough sorts.
Last edited by Lucinia_Whateley on Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Notice 15
Notice 1d6+2 = 8: 6
Wild 1d6+2 = 3: 1
Notice Explodes 1d6 = 6: 6
Explodes Again 1d6 = 1: 1
To say that Archibald found the Confederates',,,hospitality somewhat wanting would be the understatement of the year. Meeting up with Sutter again and leaving the cursed fort, Archibald vowed to write a sternly worded letter of complaint to the War Department in Richmond. He also decided to write to the British Ambassador about the whole affair as well, though it was uncertain whether he would be able to achieve anything but it was still worth writing the letters regardless.

He noticed a young girl approaching the group and frowned, she must be the girl Sutter had mentioned. Wasn't she suppose to be the cousin of one of the men? Archibald had misgivings about the child coming along with the drive given the hardships they've already endured, surely it would be better to find her a family to stay with?
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jeff Milton » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:53 pm

OOC Comments
1d6 = 5: 5
1d6 = 3: 3
Jeff was glad enough to see the last of the soldiers, although he tried to remember faces and names, on the off chance he ran into any in a saloon or dark alley some time in the future.
When he get's back he checks his guns, cleans and oils them to make sure they are in working order.

When the girls approaches and says her piece, he ponders a moment, then says, "If you were my cousin ... but you ain't. You look a mite small to rope and wrangle a steer. How were you aiming t' be useful on the drive?"

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Hope Monaghan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:12 am

Outside Roswell, NM
Evening
Round 0

Hope was a little put out at the treatment she received. The bag over her head stank, and sitting in a dank hole somewhere was uncomfortable. At least they hadn’t found her Derringer. It was something, if they needed to escape.

But they were finally let go. Hope gave the Confederate soldiers a withering glare and rubbed her raw wrists. “This is how you treat a lady?” she sniffed indignantly before heading back to Sutter’s camp.

Hope studied the new girl as she introduced herself. And girl she was, just on the cusp of womanhood.

“You look a mite small to rope and wrangle a steer. How were you aiming t' be useful on the drive?" Jeff asked.

“Nonsense, Mr. Milton,” Hope said. “There is plenty she can do. There are calves in the herd, as well,” she pointed out. “And Cook could use help, too. Bishop mentioned taking off in the morning, so there is room in the women’s camp for her.”

The redheaded beauty approached the girl and smiled. “Hello, Lucinia. Why don’t you come with me and I will show you where you can lay out your bedroll.” She offered the girl a hand. “So what brings you to sign on with a trail crew?”

Eventually Hope showed Lucinia the area near the wagon where she, Bishop, and Abby had their camp away from the men with a bit of privacy offered by the wagon. “Coffee?” Hope offered, mostly because the only other thing she had to offer the girl was whiskey. They didn’t exactly have anything for children to drink. “Perhaps in the morning we can find a milk cow to get you some milk.”
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by John Baxter » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:43 am

Notice
1d8 = 7: 7
1d6 = 4: 4

John was more annoyed that the Confederates had found the plans he had hidden away than he was about being captured. They were either going to get shot or they weren't and he was strangely okay with that. It was a missed opportunity to hurt the rebels a bit.
The_Marshall wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:35 pm
On the way back to camp Sutter speaks up "Thanks for looking into the crash but I think we may have ruffled a few feathers. It looks like neither the Confederates or Dixie Rails is willing to purchase our cattle. We won't have much rest but will be heading North come morning.

"yeah, whatever was going on and honestly I think somebody just tried to run off with something, they got spooked and we got caught in the way."

Lucinia_Whateley wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:58 pm
"Hello. I suspect you're the fellas and ladies I was meant to speak to?"
"Definitely a mite young to be out here little miss," John doffs his hat, "what brings you to be signing up to a cattle drive?"

Sutter mentioned possible family, but maybe she's running away?
OOC Comments
Knowledge occult roll - see if the Whateley name rings any bells for John
1d6 = 2: 2
1d6 = 1: 1
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:43 am

Crossing the Canadian
About a week and a half out of Roswell, the crew faces its first major river crossing. Normally, in this part of the country, it’s a slow-moving stream banked by mud flats, but this late in the season the Canadian is beginning to swell with both snowmelt and spring rains. Getting the herd across it safely poses a fairly significant obstacle to the trail hands.

Sutter arrived at the river a day early and scouted out a relatively solid fording point. The herd doesn’t understand this, so as drag riders you are tasked with driving the cattle forward into the river. Not being known for their amphibian prowess, the cows prove reluctant to enter the water.

Instructions
You guys will each make Riding rolls at (–4) to drive the animals forward. Sutter’s herd, while not the largest to hit the trail, is still fairly large, so a single roll isn’t sufficient to move 1,500 head of cattle. The group will need 5 successful Riding rolls to manhandle the herd into the ford. Each raise counts as an additional success toward achieving that total.

The bad news is wrangling a mass of milling and nervous Longhorns is risky business. A Riding die that comes up 1, regardless of the result of the Wild Die, means the poor sod is chucked off his horse and into the mass of cattle, suffering 1d6 damage in the process. The unhorsed rider must then immediately make an Agility roll (–2) to remount or otherwise make it to safety. Failing that roll means the character is trampled by the cows for another 2d6+2 damage!

The river is also deep enough that a hero has to either swim or cling to his horse to cross it. Doing so in the vicinity of a agitated mass of unruly critters, each weighing upwards of half a ton, adds an additional complication. Crossing the river safely requires an additional Riding roll-or Swimming, if the wrangler is going it on her own. Failing the roll means the you suffers a Fatigue level.

After each round of rolls we will determine if there is additional trouble. As always please let me know via hangouts if you have any questions.

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jeff Milton » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:20 am

Riding
1d6-4 = -2: 2
1d6-4 = -1: 3
Jeff does his best to drive the cattle forward and manages to stay in the saddle.

User avatar
Lucinia_Whateley
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Lucinia_Whateley » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:19 pm

Notice
OOC Comments
1d4 = 1: 1
Wild Die 1d6 = 5: 5
Jeff Milton wrote:"If you were my cousin ... but you ain't. You look a mite small to rope and wrangle a steer. How were you aiming t' be useful on the drive?"
Hope Monaghan wrote:“So what brings you to sign on with a trail crew?”
Lucinia opens her mouth to respond to Jeff, stuck between knowing he had a good point and not wanting to be left behind. As she begins to speak, she's thankfully interrupted by Hope who actually seems to make a rather solid case. "My family, all that I know of, has gone to another place." she says carefully, doing her best to keep emotion out of her voice as her eyes suddenly look a bit distant. She can't allow herself to sound weak now. "And I don't aim to follow. That means putting what distance I can between there and myself as I'm able. Now, it's true I don't have many years, but yes, I'll do whatever work you can give me, I won't complain, and I don't eat much. I can also ride."

She looks over to John. "There's nothing for me where I came from. If I can make it here, then there's a chance I might make something of myself. Life isn't easy when you wake up and find out you're alone, but bawling only gets you so far."

Lucinia tries to make it sound natural, like she hadn't practice saying things like that a few dozen times. It helped a little that she meant them. She was scared, in all honesty, or falling under a cow or getting shot, but there were worse fates. Much worse.

Ride
OOC Comments
1d4 = 4: 4
Ace 1d4 = 4: 4
Ace Again 1d4 = 3: 3
Red (Extra Effort) 1d6 = 3: 3
Total = 14 - 4 = 10
Wild Die 1d6 = 1: 1
Once the drive begins, Lucinia does everything she can to hide her nervousness. Her experience was with show ponies mostly, not real work horses, and all she could do is try her best and keep the cattle together as she's able. There was no room to disappoint them!
Last edited by Lucinia_Whateley on Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:53 pm

Notice 9
Notice 1d6+2 = 8: 6
Wild 1d6+2 = 3: 1

Notice Explodes 1d6 = 1: 1
Once more into the breech... Archibald thought grimly as they faced the prospect of driving the cattle across the swelling river, he'd seen the struggles trying to get ox wagons to cross shallow streams back in Africa. Sutter had found them a ford to use, though it still looked like it was going to be a difficult task.

He turned to the others and called out. "Well chaps, and ladies, the herd won't cross itself."
Riding Rolls
Riding 1d6-4 = -2: 2
Wild 1d6-4 = 0: 4

WHITE BENNY to re-roll.

Riding 1d6-4 = -3: 1
Wild 1d6-4 = 1: 5

WHITE BENNY to re-roll...again

Riding 1d6-4 = -2: 2
Wild 1d6-4 = 1: 5

RED BENNY

1d6 = 3: 3

TOTAL: 4
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by John Baxter » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:27 pm

Notice 3
OOC Comments
1d8 = 3: 3
1d6 = 1: 1
Riding 4
OOC Comments
1d8-4 = 0: 4
1d6-4 = -2: 2

chip for extra effort 1d6 = 4: 4
Lucinda
She looks over to John. "There's nothing for me where I came from. If I can make it here, then there's a chance I might make something of myself. Life isn't easy when you wake up and find out you're alone, but bawling only gets you so far."
John gives her a slight smile tough kid
"Well, I don't think a cattle drive is the right place for you, but then I don't have much of a choice in the matter, so if you are assigned to ride with us, keep close, watch what we do, let us know if you see any strange dogs or owls and if shooting starts, get your head down."


After a time in the Confederate stockade, John was happy to take a long ride to get the kinks out. When they reach the river, John sighed and got ready to guide the cattle across.

"Take it slow and steady people. Do not take any unnecessary risks," he calls out to the others

"Good riding kid,"[/b John calls over to Lucinda as he sees her riding better than most of the others. Might as well offer some encouragement.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jack » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:15 pm

Notice_5
Notice 1d6 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Since the encounter, Jack has sort of distanced himself from the others, seeming to be deep in thought. He still assists the hands with cleaning their weapons, and performs all his duties but, in spare time, he seems to be caught up in deep thought. He sits by himself, smoking his pipe and working in a sketch book.

As the drive approached the river and the command given to drive the herd across, Jack just shook his head and again wondered why he was doing this. He took up a position at the rear left side and began driving the cattle.
Ride_15
Ride 1d8 = 8: 8
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
Exploded 1d8 = 8: 8
Exploded 1d8 = 3: 3
19-4=15
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Spill the Beans The subject of your questioning tells you everything you want to know, whether by friendly persuasion, intimidation, or force.

User avatar
Lucinia_Whateley
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Lucinia_Whateley » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:54 pm

Notice_6
OOC Comments
1d4 = 4: 4
Ace 1d4 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 3: 3
Talking is one thing, but Lucinia knew it was time to make it count.

Studying the other, much more experienced riders, she refrains from risky maneuvers, keeping to the basics, letting herself learn what she needs to and staying focused. The horror of a fall helps stave of boredom even during the long hours, and when John gives her a compliment, she feels a deep welling of pride and just barely manages to not smile like a fool. Drawing on that, she tries even harder, making the extra effort to not disappoint him.

Jack she studies especially, as he seems to be a damn near wizard on his horse.

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Hope Monaghan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:31 am

Riding 1; critical fail
-4 difficulty
Riding 1d4-4 = -3: 1
Wild 1d6-4 = -3: 1
Thrown damage 8
1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6+6 = 8: 2
Unshake 6
Spirit 1d12 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Ace 1d6+6 = 8: 2
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Hope Monaghan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:44 am

Agility 5
-2 difficulty
Agility 1d8-2 = 2: 4
Wild 1d6-2 = -1: 1
White chip to reroll
Agility 1d8-2 = 5: 7
Wild 1d6-2 = 0: 2
On the trail
Afternoon
Round 0

Hope stretched her back as she surveyed the river crossing. The last one had a mess of snakes. She hoped they wouldn’t run into such trouble here. As the others start cutting off their part of the herd, Hope moves into position to push the cattle ahead into the ford. The others seemed to have the cattle well in hand.

And that was when Devil Eyes decided to be ornery. He nipped gave a buck, just to show Hope who was boss, tossing her with a shriek of surprise from the saddle into the mass of cows. She grunted as she hit the ground hard, leaving her breathless and shaken.

Hope shook it off and rolled out of the way of the cattle hooves. She jumped up and grabbed onto Devil Eye’s bridle, yanking the horse around and leaping back into the saddle. She leaned down and hissed in his ear, “You dry that again I will make sure we have horse steak at mess the next night,” she told the willful beast. She wrenched the horse’s head around, fighting it for dominance, before Devil Eyes made a whinny that almost sounded like a chuckle and took her guidance again as they approached the river.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:58 pm

The crew handles the crossing deftly. Devil Eyes snorts defiantly as Hope threatens to turn him into dinner. Sutter keeps the herd hugging the New Mexico-Texas border as it heads north. Ahead of the crew loom the eastern foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. He explains one night around the campfire that most traffic into the Disputed Territories heads up through the Raton Pass. A rather enterprising entrepreneur, “Uncle Dick” Wooten, set up a toll road there over a decade ago with the blessing of the Confederate government. Wooten’s toll for the herd would likely gobble up the majority of Sutter’s grubstake, so he instead heads for nearby Trincheras Pass.
As a result, this route leads the herd within spitting distance of Black Mesa. Black Mesa is a large mountain made primarily of dark volcanic rock that stands on the border of the Oklahoma panhandle, near New Mexico. It’s also a spot where the veil between the Hunting Grounds and our world is thinner than usual.
Archibald
The first evening on the way to the pass you realize that in the evening on the outskirts of the camp just outside of the light is a flock of ravens.
About 4 days from the pass the first evening is plagued with terrible nightmares. Everyone will need a guts check. Also let us know what plagues your dreams? and what do you do?

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by John Baxter » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:42 am

Guts
1d8 = 4: 4
1d6 = 5: 5

Plagued by nightmares of the thing that almost took his leg
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jeff Milton » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:16 am

Guts
1d6+2 = 6: 4
1d6+2 = 3: 1

A replay of that fateful day in Rock Creek, but this time the Barnes brothers killed Mary and almost everyone he knew, while he watched, helpless to stop it.

User avatar
Jack
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jack » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:42 am

Guts_4
Guts 1d6 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
Jack was sleeping soundly until the memories of Mary came back to him. How could he have left her, why didn't he just wait out the riders for a couple days and return. He kept replaying the look on her face when he said goodbye and the pain she endured.
Signature
Parry: 4
Toughness: 7
Charisma: +2
Pace: 6
Bennies: 2 White, 1 Blue
Adventure Card: Spill the Beans The subject of your questioning tells you everything you want to know, whether by friendly persuasion, intimidation, or force.

User avatar
Lucinia_Whateley
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Lucinia_Whateley » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:23 pm

Guts_3
OOC Comments
1d4-2 = -1: 1+1 (Grit) = 0
Wild 1d6-2 = 2: 4+1 (Grit) = 3
Fright 1d20 = 17: 17
Putting up as brave a front as she can, Lucinea struggles in her sleep, beset by visions of her family, gathered around a terrible black fire. And older man, her grandfather, slices his own wrist and after a few minutes manages to finally squeeze a drop out onto the fire, grunting in pain.

She hears her mother's voice, chanting her name, and then watches as the fire seems to reveal her own sleeping form. The cry of triumph chills her blood as she tries very hard to tell herself it's all some dream, slowly breaking down as the fire itself rears up into the face of a terrible black dog.

It turns to look at her, opens its jaws and leaps out from the ancient hearth.

The same dream begins again.
Last edited by Lucinia_Whateley on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:19 pm

Notice 7
Notice 1d6+2 = 4: 2
Wild 1d6+2 = 7: 5
Archibald noticed the birds and is curious by their presence, being heavily reminded by the famous ravens of the Tower of London. He throws them some scraps from his dinner before settling down for the night.

Guts 6
Guts 1d8+2 = 4: 2
Wild 1d6+2 = 6: 4
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Africa.

Dusk had fallen and they were still a scant few miles short of Isandlwana, where Archibald and his band of sappers had been sent to join the British force camped there. The horses had halted and were refusing to take another step forward, they were getting increasingly anxious as something seemed to have unsettled them. Some of the red coated soldiers, nervously glancing into the darkening gloom, readied their rifles as they formed a loose line round the column of wagons. Archibald had turned to speak to one of the NCOs when he caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of his eye before his horse reared up and threw him off.

Then the screaming started...
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Hope Monaghan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:55 am

Guts 5
Guts 1d8+2 = 5: 3
Wild 1d6+2 = 5: 3
On the trail/Near Black Mesa
Night
Round 0

Hope tossed on her bedroll, muttering in her sleep. She swatted at something, her long red hair tangling in her fingers, seeming to make it worse.

Snakes. Rattlers. Cottonmouths. Water moccasins. She felt their poison burning in her veins.

Big snakes, like those she saw at the carnival, wrapped around the snake woman. Boas. Anacondas. Choking off her air.

Hope sat up abruptly, stifling a little shriek. Her shirt was soaked in sweat, plastered against her heaving bosom. She pushed back sweat-soaked tendrils of red hair before getting up. She got some water from the barrel and drank thirstily, looking around at the low fires of the camp. No snakes. She sighed and tried to settle down again into her bedroll, hoping she hadn’t disturbed anyone.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
To Do
Have the talk with Abby about Archibald.
***
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WW
Adventure Card:
  • Contact: Your hero sees an old friend or acquaintance who might help him in his current quest somehow. Of course, he may also ask for a favor in return.
  • Cutting in Line: Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:37 pm

Over the next few nights the night terrors continue. Many of the cowhands become extremely ornery and have bags under their eyes due to lack of sleep. Even Abby's normally friendly demeanor is a bit off as she is grumpy and little agitated. Some of you even take notice as she almost falls asleep while standing and brushing some of the horses. Mr. Sutter also seems agitated yelling at people with the slightest provocation. Even the lack of sleep along the way the ride is not so tough as you come along the path up to Trincheras Pass.
Instructions
Ok everyone will need 3 more nights worth of notice and guts checks. An raise on the notice(8) will allow you to possibly avoid more guts checks. Each guts check will add a cumulative -1 starting with the first. As Lucianna has already failed one she needs to roll on the fear table. Each failure will need to roll on the fear table as well. If you guys needs me to I can post it. Feel free to narrate your daily tasks as you guys get closer to the pass. Everyone will also have one level of exhaustion at the end of the third night. As always let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:53 am

Rolls
Notice N1 1d6+2 = 3: 1
Wild 1d6+2 = 5: 3

Guts N1 1d8+1 = 9: 8
Wild 1d6+1 = 5: 4
Explodes 1d8 = 1: 1

Notice N2 1d6+2 = 3: 1
Wild 1d6+2 = 7: 5

Guts N2 1d8 = 8: 8
Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
Explodes 1d8 = 1: 1

Notice N3 1d6+2 = 4: 2
Wild 1d6+2 = 5: 3

Guts N3 1d8-1 = 6: 7
Wild 1d6-1 = 0: 1
The same bad dream continued to plague Archibald, though each night he still wasn't able to gleam more about what had happened in Africa. Everyone else appeared to also be having bad dreams and disturbed sleep as tempers began to flare, the latter he'd encountered before amongst the common soldiery. Curiously the ravens kept with them, appearing each evening as they settled down for the night. In what had become his usual habit, Archibald threw them some scrapes each night from his dinner before he turned in.
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Hope Monaghan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:45 am

Notice 5
Notice 1d4 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Guts 5
-1 difficulty
Guts 1d8+2 = 6: 4
Wild 1d6+2 = 5: 3
Notice 4
Notice 1d4 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
Guts 4
-2 difficulty
Guts 1d8+2 = 6: 4
Wild 1d6+2 = 4: 2
Notice 5
Notice 1d4 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Guts 4
-3 difficulty
Guts 1d8+2 = 5: 3
Wild 1d6+2 = 7: 5
On the trail/Near Trincheras Pass
Night
Round 0

Hope yawned as she dismounted for the night, not looking forward to another night of nightmares. But she couldn’t stay awake anymore. She was too exhausted. She swung down from the saddle and took it off of Devil Eyes. She didn’t leave the horse to anyone but her to take care of, since the ornery critter was liable to bite someone else. When she was through she put him in the picket with the others and dumped her saddle and pack at her place by the fire.

“Hey, girl,” Hope said to Abby, catching her sleeping as she brushed the horses. “You too, huh?” She took up another brush and started to help her out. “Just curious. Feel free to tell me to mind my own business. Might not be the best time to ask, everyone being so waspish and tired, but you got anyone you fancy?” Hope asked Abby, making some girl talk.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by John Baxter » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:17 am

Notice 6
OOC Comments
1d8 = 6: 6
1d6 = 1: 1
Guts 4
OOC Comments
1d8 = 4: 4
1d6 = 3: 3
Notice 4
OOC Comments
1d8 = 4: 4
1d6 = 1: 1
Guts 11
OOC Comments
1d8 = 8: 8 ace 1d8 = 3: 3
1d6 = 2: 2
Notice 3
OOC Comments
1d8 = 1: 1
1d6 = 3: 3
Guts 5
OOC Comments
1d8 = 5: 5
1d6 = 1: 1
Knowledge occult 3
OOC Comments
1d8 = 3: 3
1d6 = 3: 3
John spent the next several nights remembering what had happened.

He'd seen too much for whatever this was to bother him; was this another attack from that damned shaman? He wanted another crack at him. Finally get him off their backsides.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Lucinia_Whateley
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Lucinia_Whateley » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Notice and Guts
OOC Comments
Notice 7
OOC Comments
1d4 = 4: 4
Explode 1d4 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Exploding Wild 1d6 = 1: 1
White Benny to reroll 1d4 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2
2nd White Benny to reroll 1d4 = 3: 3
1d6 = 2: 2
Guts 3: Fright 13
OOC Comments
1d4-2 = 2: 4
Wild 1d6-2 = 3: 5
Fright 1d20 = 12: 12
Notice 15
OOC Comments
1d4 = 4: 4
Explode 1d4 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Explode 1d6 = 6: 6
Explode 2 1d6 = 3: 3

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jeff Milton » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:23 pm

Fear level? Looks like I failed on day 2
It's
Day 1 N3 G7 minus 1 is a 6
notice
1d6 = 1: 1
1d6 = 3: 3

guts
1d6+2 = 5: 3
1d6+2 = 7: 5
-1
Day 2 N4 G5-2 = 3 + 9 = 12
notice
1d6 = 3: 3
1d6 = 4: 4

guts
1d6+2 = 5: 3
1d6+2 = 3: 1
-
red: 1d6 = 6: 6
and more 1d6 = 3: 3

fear:
1d20 = 17: 17

Day 3 N4 G13-3 = 10
notice
1d6 = 2: 2
1d6 = 4: 4

guts
1d6+2 = 3: 1
1d6+2 = 8: 6
wild again
1d6+8 = 13: 5
-3
Jeff finds himself withdrawing socially. Not that he was that tight with the group to begin with, they'd been together from the start, he just joined them along the way. A few references to thing that happened before he got there and decided to just wolf down his dinner and try to get some shut eye. Not that it he could. Every time closed his eyes it was the Barnes brothers, or Mary with that damn fool Luke, or the town in flames

User avatar
Lucinia_Whateley
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Lucinia_Whateley » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:08 pm

Notice
OOC Comments
1d4 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Explode 1d6 = 4: 4
The terrible dream is constant and slowly yet surely, Lucinia feels like she can see the the dog behind every corner. What had that man said? Look out for strange dogs? Maybe it wasn't a dream... maybe it was some terrible spell. They were surely after her, and the moment she saw a dog, she was sure it would be her doom. She tells herself this is all dumb talk, but after the second night in a row, it really does feel like something's wrong, Especially when she starts to notice other people seem to be sleeping poorly. She searches for something, anything at all, that might be causing it, already exhausted, and afraid to admit as much to the others.

Then she sees something a little bit strange. That Archibald feller leaving camp with some scraps after supper... Lucinia started to wonder if maybe there were dogs following the camp he was feeding. That maybe it was their howls causing her the nightmares.

Then she sees the crows and doesn't know what to make of it, catching up with the man as she goes to get a better look at them. "Heya, Mr, Archibald, how long have you been feeding theoe little guys?"

She asks the question in a nonchalant manner, not really sure if this has anything to do with anything, but frankly at her wits end.
Last edited by Lucinia_Whateley on Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:12 pm

Notice 7
Notice 1d6+2 = 3: 1
Wild 1d6+2 = 7: 5
When Archibald went to offer some of the scraps from his dinner to the ravens again, he noticed that he was being followed. Turning round it was the young girl who'd joined them, supposedly the cousin of one of the other ranch-hands or something. Like alot of the others she looked tired and had been sleeping badly, plagued by bad dreams like everyone else. Though he also suffered from the disturbed and uneasy sleep, Archibald seemed to be one of the ones faring better than the others. He guessed that it was, despite being an officer, the endurance he got from being a soldier.

The girl asked a question and Archibald answered. "Oh, perhaps no more than a few days."

"I'd spotted them not long after we'd cleared the pass and was struck by how much they reminded me of the ravens at the Tower of London." Archibald explained. "They seem friendly enough fellows and thought I'd give them some of my leftovers from dinner."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Lucinia_Whateley
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Lucinia_Whateley » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:59 pm

Notice 3
OOC Comments
1d4 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 3: 3
Smarts 12
OOC Comments
1d8 = 8: 8
Explode 1d8 = 4: 4
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Lucinia searches her brain for the place. It was obvious where it was, but she could swear her mother had made her to read a book of ghost stories that had mentioned the building as some sort of dungeon.

"Tower of London... isn't that the place where they keep the Crown Jewels. And where they used to put Royals before murdering them?" she asks, looking warily at the birds. "Everyone's been having terrible night frights the last few days, as well. Well, maybe not so much you. You look like you're holding together."

She sounds and is rather impressed, speaking carefully as she can tell the man seems rather fond of them. "I don't mean to sound superstitious, but I'm not having a whole lot of luck sleeping. You think maybe they've got something to do with it?"

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:07 am

"Yes, the very same." Archibald answered. "I assure you that I've been having nightmares just like everyone else, though as a soldier I'm able to cope with disturbed sleep better. That and I've seen...things if you catch my drift."

"Now that I think about it, I do agree the timing of their appearance is a little suspect." Conceded Archibald. "Course I'm no expert, but I've come to believe that Mr Baxter may well be."
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Lucinia_Whateley
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Lucinia_Whateley » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:38 pm

"Mr. Baxter? He doesn't seem like much of a wizard. Or a medicine man." Lucinia says, trying to picture it either of the two. "Course mother always said only wizard that does is a dead wizard. Or do you mean he's some kinda monster hunter?"

That one made a bit more sense to her. There was a tired look to the man, but he seemed kind underneath it.

"We should go ask him, then. No reason to hassle the birds unless there's a reason."

She heads back into camp to look for the man.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by John Baxter » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:48 pm

John looked tired, but otherwise unfazed by what was going on. Something was trying to make him think that creature was out there, but he knew its sign. Even so, he had his hand cannon in his holster. At close range, it was more lethal than his rifle.

Even so, he was grumpier than normal. However, he does notice Archie and the new girl looking at him.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:44 pm

Hope:
Abby blushes a little at the mention of her fancying anyone. She smiles a bit shyly to Hope. “I never really thought about it. I mean we are always so busy with the herd and makin sure everyone gets their meals.” She ponders a moment thinking about and her eyes light up a bit. “Is someone askin bout me? I aint sure Mr. Sutter would be keen on no romances on the drive.”
The posse and everyone is tired and a bit exhausted the next day. On the fourth night, as the herd enters the approach to the pass, Sutter rides ahead to scout the pass with Luke. By this time, at least some of you have begun to impress the cattleman and he leaves Baxter in charge until his return. Leaving one of your own in charge does instill a sense of accomplishment to the group.
OOC Comments
Baxter your in charge of the camp for the evening. I need you to select a couple people for watches for the evening. Those selected for watches will need a Notice at -4 for the darkness around the camp. After we get the watch notice rolls I will get the camp.

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Hope Monaghan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:51 am

On the trail/Near Trincheras Pass
Night
Round 0

“Someone may have asked about you,” Hope told Abby with a smile. “And we won’t be on this drive forever. Just talkin’ ain’t havin’ a romance,” she said teasingly to the younger girl. “So unless you decide to go out into the bushes, you might not have to worry.” Hope glanced across the camp to Archibald. “And I think he may be too much the gentleman to even think of that. Why don’t you take your mess tonight and sit down with Archibald?”

***

Next Night

Hope dismounted from Devil Eyes, removed the saddle, and wiped him down before leading him to the picket line. She arched her back with a groan, working out the soreness from the day spent in the saddle. She noticed Sutter and Luke ride off for the pass alone after talking with Baxter.

“So you’re the boss now, huh?” she asked John.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:09 am

John Baxter wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:48 pm
John looked tired, but otherwise unfazed by what was going on. Something was trying to make him think that creature was out there, but he knew its sign. Even so, he had his hand cannon in his holster. At close range, it was more lethal than his rifle.

Even so, he was grumpier than normal. However, he does notice Archie and the new girl looking at him.
"Ah. Mr Baxter." Archibald said. "Perchance a word please."

"You aware of any instances of a connection between birds and bad dreams?" Asked Archibald. "I've noticed that a particular flock of ravens has been with us since the plague of night troubles began, bit of a coincidence wouldn't you agree?"

"A ploy of our Indian friend?"


Come the following evening Archibald went through his usual routine of ensuring his gear was in order and eating his evening meal, though he had stopped giving scraps to the mysterious ravens. This evening he paid particular attention to his weapons.
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by John Baxter » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:05 am

Archibald Ellsworth wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:09 am
"Ah. Mr Baxter." Archibald said. "Perchance a word please."

"You aware of any instances of a connection between birds and bad dreams?" Asked Archibald. "I've noticed that a particular flock of ravens has been with us since the plague of night troubles began, bit of a coincidence wouldn't you agree?"

"A ploy of our Indian friend?"

John looks at him and sighs

"That damned injun turned himself into an owl before. A raven does not seem out of the possibility.

knowledge occult
OOC Comments
1d8 = 6: 6
1d6 = 1: 1
John draws his rifle and moves to where Archie

"Maybe they are just birds, but considering what else we have been dealing with and quite frankly how this place is making us all feel, lets not take the chance."

He waits until the cattle are far enough away not to spook before firing at the birds.

As Sutter leaves John in charge,


Hope Monaghan wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:51 am
“So you’re the boss now, huh?” she asked John.
"Seems like it, least till they get back," he looks at the moon, "It's night. We need to set watches."

He picks out a couple of Cowhands who look the most attentive

"Captain, you and I have both served and used to pulling these. Take a watch apiece with one of the others, whilst you lot get some rest. Keep your weapons close."

John
1d8-4 = 0: 4
1d6-4 = -2: 2

Cowhand 1
1d8-4 = 1: 5

Cowhand 2
1d8-4 = 4: 8 ace 1d8 = 1: 1
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:52 pm

Archibald nods and simply says. "Happy hunting Mr Baxter."

As John headed off to deal with the ravens, Archibald returned to where he'd left his kit.

"Right you are Mr Baxter." Agreed Archibald as the details of the watches were discussed. "I'll pick a couple of the more trustworthy hands."

Notice Rolls
Notice 1d6-3 = 3: 6
Wild 1d6-3 = -2: 1
Notice Explodes 1d6 = 6: 6
Explodes Again 1d6 = 3: 3

Total: 12

Cowhand 1 1d8-5 = -1: 4

Cowhand 1 1d8-5 = -4: 1
"Ah, Mr Dellany..." Archibald called out to one of the cowhands keeping watch with him. "Be a good man and go rouse the camp, we're about to have some company."

"Oh and fetch Mr Baxter whilst you're at it." Added Archibald as he took some cover behind some rocks where he could keep an eye on the 'visitors'.
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:18 pm

The watch spots several natives coming up in the darkness surrounding the camp. Quickly they are able to get everyone up right before they get close enough to engage. As the war party moves to engage Javier and Abby move to one side of the encampment with the cowpokes and they begin opening fire on them. Leaving the rest of the Indians and a swarm of bats for the posse to deal with on the other side.

Half of the Indians are hanging back in the darkness to include the Shaman Black Dog. They ready their bows while the other half and the bats move in to get a closer look.
OOC Comments
Currently you guys are within the light of the campfire. Anyone outside the campfire is a -2 to hit as they are in the dim light and shadows being cast. Anybody in the light does not have this issue. Currently no one is in cover except for Black Dog. There is plenty of cover in the nearby are to move to should you require it and the Indians hanging back are also moving towards it as well.

Rolling 1d54/ High numbers go first.
Jeff Milton: 1d54 = 52: 52
Hope Monaghan: 1d54 = 16: 16
John Baxter: 1d54 = 31: 31
Lucinia_Whateley: 1d54 = 3: 3
Archibald Ellsworth: 1d54 = 12: 12
Black Dog and Bats: 1d54 = 6: 6
10x Indians: 1d54 = 53: 53

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:32 pm

The Indians move fast to get into position not entirely noticing that that they have alerted the group. The ones in the back move to cover drawing their bows and looking for targets not quite ready to strike. The other 5 move to the edge of the light hatchets drawn alongside a swarm of bats.
Instructions
There was a joker drawn so each of you can draw yet another benny.
Melee Indians are easily within a move to reach and close enough to the light to not have the penalty.
The ranges ones now have cover about 20 yards(10 squares) back. They each have about half cover making the total to hit them a -4.

Everyone but Lucinia can go now. Once you all have posted I will have Black dog go and then she can. Please let me know if you have any questions. As far as each of your actions order is not so important.

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jeff Milton » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:04 pm

Jeff moves to take cover by the chuck wagon. Seeing the number of foes facing them, he opts to give himself a some protection.

Casting Missed Me! for 2 points
2S
JH
2H
BJ
10c
10S
3D
two pair house, 10s and 2s
1d6 = 5: 5
1d6 = 4: 4
]

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:08 am

Archibald glances at the approaching Indians, much to his surprise he found himself thinking of his grandfather and wondered if he felt the same feeling of anticipation and anxiety at Waterloo as Archibald was feeling. Granted this was a mere skirmish in the dirt compared to that grand battle that changed the future of Europe and brought an end to the schemes of the French Tyrant. Then again, he mused, most soldiers probably felt the same before any fight.

He forced himself to think logically and realised that the darkness was going to hamper the group's gunfighters, plus he didn't fancy himself much as a sharpshooter. The Indians own ranged fighters, armed with bows or heavens forbid firearms, would suffer the issue. The safest place, he concluded, would probably be engaging the Indians' fighters in hand-to-hand and thus stopping them from getting too close to the herd. He drew his sword, took a deep and called out as he started running. "Give them a taste of cold steel! For Queen and Country, Tally Ho!"

Actions
Archibald moves towards one end of the group of Indians moving up for melee and then attacks with his sword.

Fighting 1d8 = 7: 7
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6
Wild Explodes 1d6 = 3: 3

Total: 9

Sabre 2d6 = 10: 4, 6
Dice Explodes 1d6 = 4: 4

Total Damage: 14
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Hope Monaghan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:22 pm

Windstorm 8; Raise
-2 Novice, -1 Fatigue
Faith 1d10 = 9: 9
Wild 1d6 = 2: 2
MBT Targets 3
2d4 = 3: 2, 1
On the trail/Near Trincheras Pass
Night
Round 0

Noticing the Indians, Hope cursed -- not very Christian of her -- and grabbed up her shotgun. She moved to cover behind the chuck wagon and aimed at the natives on the edge of the firelight. She wasn’t about to get in hand to hand fighting with an Indian brave if she didn’t have to!

Hope started reciting one of the hellfire and brimstone sermons she used to get from a local preacher. He would give them while he was putting his clothes back on after visiting her in her business capacity. Her voice stirred the wind and it started to swirl around, kicking up dust and debris. She dropped the twister down right on top of Black Dog and those Indians that stayed back at range.
Actions
Move to cover
Cast Windstorm - everyone in the storm is blinded and must make a Vigor roll or be shaken. Any ranged attack through the storm is at -2
Attacks Black Dog and 2 other ranged Indians
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by John Baxter » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:45 am

Notice
1d8 = 7: 7
1d6 = 4: 4

Having been awoken by a cowhand, John grabs his coat, rifle and gun belt. He moves into cover and tries to sneak around the side of
"keep their attention on you. I'll try and end this from the flank. Deal with that damn shaman."


Stealth
OOC Comments
1d6 = 4: 4
1d6 = 4: 4
As he moved, I can't use marksman, John is aiming and trying to spot Black Dog.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:29 pm

Archibald rushes forward meeting one of the natives cutting him deeply and leaving his body lying in the dirt. The black Dog shields his eyes in time to avoid the windstorm with the nearest brave following suit. The one more central to the storm catches it full in the face screaming out as he is blinded. Paying no mind to the screams of his comrades he begins to cast attempting to instill fear in the group as he centers it between Jeff, Lucinia, and Hope. The bats fly up and begin to attack Archibald.

Instructions
Archibald is currently shaken from the bats assailing him.
Hope, Lucinia, and Jeff need Fear tests to resist the fear spell cast at -2
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Combat Rolls
Black Dog Vigor: 1d8 = 7: 7
Wild: 1d6 = 5: 5
BlacK Dog Notice: 1d6 = 1: 1
Wild: 1d6 = 5: 5
Tribal Medicine: 1d10 = 3: 3
Wild: 1d6 = 2: 2
Red Benny for EE: 1d6 = 5: 5
LBT: 2d6 = 3: 1, 2

Swarm Damage: 2d4 = 7: 4, 3

Indian 1 Vigor: 1d8 = 1: 1
Indian 2 Vigor: 1d8 = 7: 7

User avatar
Lucinia_Whateley
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Lucinia_Whateley » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:53 pm

Fear Resist
OOC Comments
1d4-5 = -4: 1
1d6-5 = -4: 1
Critical Failure: 1d20 = 19: 19
+2 to Roll for Fear Level
Heart Attack
Heart Attack
OOC Comments
1d4-3 = -1: 2
1d6-3 = 3: 6
Wild Die Explodes 1d6 = 5: 5
Shaken for 1d4 = 1: 1 Rounds
Lucinia feels her heart stop as the warband comes into view, metaphorically to start, but quite literally when thr mysterious leader casts some sort of spell over them. Dropping to her knees, she demands it start again, willing the blood to start moving, her lips calling upon the terrible spirits to rise her up from this moment of blackness. The girl strikes her chest with her arm, howling out a pathetic noise that is at least hidden by the wind. She feels it. Life, coursing once more through her. She breathes, keeps her feet, and forces her eyes open, waiting for the moment she can move once more.

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jeff Milton » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:32 am

Fear:
OOC Comments
1d6+2 = 7: 5
1d6+2 = 7: 5

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:48 pm

Initiative
Jeff: 1d54 = 20: 20
John: 1d54 = 13: 13
Hope: 1d54 = 34: 34
Archibald: 1d54 = 43: 43
Lucinia: 1d54 = 31: 31
Black Dog+Bats: 1d54 = 32: 32
Indians: 1d54 = 2: 2

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:44 am

Start of Turn
Plays We Have the Talent to increase Fighting and Parry.

Roll to remove Shaken.

Spirit 1d6-1 = 4: 5
Wild 1d6-1 = 2: 3

Pass, Shaken removed.
Archibald's triumph of taking out one of the Indian warriors was short-lived as he suddenly found himself being attacked by a swirling mass of flying, shrieking creatures. He staggered back for a moment before finding his 'Stiff Upper Lip', tightened his grip on the hilt of his sword and swung the blade with purpose to fend off the creatures. At the same time he called out. "Press on dear lads, press on! Press on and we shall surely have them on the run!"

Actions
Archie attacks the swarm of bats, calling out encouragement for the Command Edge to give troops/allies +1 to Spirit to recover from being Shaken within 5" or 10 yds of Archie.

Fighting 1d10-1 = 6: 7
Wild 1d6-1 = 0: 1

Damage 2d6 = 7: 5, 2
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Hope Monaghan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:37 am

Guts 5
-2 from spell
Guts 1d8 = 2: 2
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Targets caught in Windstorm 4
2d4 = 4: 3, 1
On the trail/Near Trincheras Pass
Night
Round 0

Hope saw Black Dog casting and she felt the oppressive fear of his spell settle over her, but she also felt the divine presence of God with her, flowing through her, as she held the storm with her prayer. She had gotten one of the Indians blinded, at least.

Hope saw the young Lucinia fall to her knees. Her prayer almost faltered as she felt urged to go to the girl, but the girl seemed to collect herself, pale and breathing heavily, but she seemed okay.

Hope refocused, increasing the volume of her prayer. She started to shift the windstorm toward the Indians attacking Archibald, to catch some of them in the storm without catching Archie, hopefully to help him and to keep the storm between the camp and the Indians with their bows and rifles.
Windstorm
The intent is to catch some of the melee Indians in the edge of the storm to help Archibald, and to keep the storm between us and the Indians so they get the -2 penalty to shoot through it. It will catch 4 Indians this round by Archie.
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by John Baxter » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:36 am

John took advantage of his vantage point to take a shot at Black Dog.

"Time to take you down and end this.



shooting 5 damage 5 AP 2
OOC Comments
1d8+2 = 5: 3
1d6+2 = 5: 3
damage 2d8 = 5: 2, 3 AP 2
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jeff Milton » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:05 pm

Seeing Archie swarmed by bats and with almost half a dozen savages on him, Jeff curses. He abandons his cover and moves around opposite from John, keeping the whirlwind beween him and ,well, as many people as possible

He pulls something from his belt and throws it at the attackers on Archie
OOC Comments
bolt with power points
1d6 = 1: 1
1d6 = 1: 1
1d6 = 1: 1
wild
1d6 = 4: 4

gah. bennie to reroll
1d6 = 1: 1
1d6 = 4: 4
1d6 = 3: 3
wild
1d6 = 4: 4

and a 2nd wc
1d6 = 5: 5
1d6 = 4: 4
1d6 = 6: 6
wild
1d6 = 5: 5

openended
1d6 = 6: 6
and again
1d6 = 2: 2

unless I can't do math, 5, 5, 14
3 hits, one with a raise

3d6 = 13: 6, 5, 2
3d6 = 10: 3, 1, 6
4d6 = 17: 5, 6, 1, 5
3 openended dice
3d6 = 11: 6, 2, 3
and one more
1d6 = 1: 1

damage:
20 (6, 5, 2; 6, 1)
12 (3, 1, 6; 2)
20 (5, 6, 12, 5; 3)
Whatever it was slams into Archies foes with devastating force.
init next round
If I draw less than a face card (less than, say, 40, I'll go ahead and use my Adventure card to have a Joker

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:15 pm

Lots of Dice
Swarm Spirit vs Shaken: 1d12 = 2: 2

Black Dog:
Lower Trait: Faith
Tribal Medicine: 1d10 = 7: 7
Wild: 1d6 = 5: 5

Indians VS. Windstorm
Vigor: 1d8 = 4: 4
Vigor: 1d8 = 6: 6
Vigor: 1d8 = 4: 4
Vigor: 1d8 = 1: 1

1 Indian Shaken Other 4 blind Indians shooting
1d6-6 = -3: 3 @Hope Monaghan
1d6-6 = -5: 1 @Jeff Milton
1d6-6 = -1: 5 @Lucinia_Whateley
1d6-6 = -2: 4 @John Baxter

2 Melee Indians left vs Archibald
Gangup +1
1d8+1 = 4: 3
1d8+1 = 8: 7
Hit: 1d8 = 4: 4 + 1d6 = 3: 3 = Shaken

Archibald manages to shake the swarm. They struggle to get back together with his continued swings. The shot from John looks to connect although Clack Dog seems unaffected by it. He begins casting reaching out to the spirits to hamper hope and her infernal wind storms and shatter her own faith. As several of the braves run up to engage Archibald with tomahawks in hand, 3 of them are struck down mid stride. The two surviving Indians move to surround Archibald as the only man up front engaging. One of them manages a glancing blow shaking the man.

Next Round Initiative + Imstructions
Bad Guys: 1d54 = 37: 37
@Lucinia_Whateley : Starting on hold due to no action last round.
@John Baxter : 1d54 = 22: 22
@Hope Monaghan : 1d54 = 51: 51 Has faith lowered by a die due to lower trait.
@Jeff Milton : 1d54 = 7: 7 Seizing the day: Counts as Joker.
@Archibald Ellsworth: 1d54 = 4: 4 Is Shaken at the start. Let me know if you benny.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Shaken
I am absolutely, most assuredly going to spend a bennie to remove Shaken.
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Hope Monaghan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:47 am

Spirit to do another action while maintaining Windsdtorm 4
-1 Fatigue
Spirit 1d12 = 3: 3
Wild 1d6 = 5: 5
Succor 6
-2 Novice power, -1 Fatigue
Faith 1d8 = 7: 7
Wild 1d6 = 4: 4
On the trail/Near Trincheras Pass
Night
Round 0

Seeing Archibald’s trouble, Hope moved up closer to the British army officer. Still concentrating on the windstorm, she reached out her hand and touched Archibald’s shoulder, uttering another prayer. He found his senses restored after the rattling blow from the Indian attackers.
Archibald
Save your Benny. Hope has removed your Shaken status. If possible, Hope will move back again to cover, but she might be engaged or moved her full Pace. Without a map, I can’t be sure.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
***
Concentrate on Windstorm (must make Spirit roll if do any other action but maintain the storm)
-1 Fatigue
-2 Cover?
Faith reduced to d8+2
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by John Baxter » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:40 am

Seeing just about the bullet grazing Black Dog, John swore. Taking down the indian was key to finishing this fight. He drops his rifle and draws his S&R Equalizer taking aim for a second through the ghost rock sights before opening fire.
If I can't hurt him, perhaps I can at least put on the floor and stop his casting.

Shooting 8 damage 12 AP2
Resist 8 or be pushed back 1" and knocked prone

OOC Comments
Fast Draw Holster: Due to the custom fitted grip and custom holster, the weapon nearly springs into the wielder's hand. It is a free action to draw.

1d8+3 = 5: 2
1d6+3 = 8: 5
2d8 = 8: 7, 1 1d6 = 4: 4

If hit, whether damaged or not, the target of the attack rolls Strength versus the shooting roll of the attacker. If the target fails, they are knocked prone, or pushed 1" and knocked prone if the shooter gets a raise on the roll. This does not affect targets size 3 or greater. If they hit an obstacle while being pushed, they can be Shaken, as per the Push Maneuver on SWD p. 85. The same page also has information on the effects of Prone.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jeff Milton » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:35 am

Joker

Spotting Black Dog hanging back, Jeff figures he might be the key. You want to kill a snake, go for the head he thinks to himself. Moving closer but trying to catch some cover, he sends two .45 cal lead slugs at the shaman
OOC Comments
+2 joker
+1 double tap
-4 for cover and darkness

1d6-1 = 4: 5
1d6-1 = 2: 3

a hit
2d6+1, +1 double tap, +2 joker/ AP1 if it matters
2d6+4 = 12: 2, 6
1d6+12 = 18: 6
1d6+18 = 19: 1

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:43 pm

Rolls
Black Dog Rolls
Vigor to soak: 1d8 = 7: 7
Wild: 1d6 = 2: 2
Vigor to stay Standing: 1d8 = 2: 2
Wild: 1d6 = 2: 2
To unshake on his turn: 1d10-2 = 5: 7
Wild: 1d6-2 = 4: 6
Tribal Medicine: 1d10-2 = 3: 5
Wild: 1d6-2 = 3: 5
Benny for EE: 1d6 = 2: 2

Bats biting: 2d4 = 7: 3, 4 Ace 1d4+7 = 11: 4 1 Wound possible to Archie from bats
Indians Swinging: 1d8 = 2: 2
Indians Swinging: 1d8 = 8: 8 Ace: 1d8+8 = 9: 1
Hit: 1d8 = 8: 8 + 1d6 = 6: 6 Oh no aces: 1d8+8 = 15: 7 + 1d6+6 = 7: 1 22 total -5 toughness = 17 or 4 possible wounds
Instructions
It looks as though most of the Indians are running. Only the two melee ones are sticking around. Bats are also still here.
Black dog is at about 20" from you guys he is -4 for size and darkness to hit him.
Archibald: The bats bit first, you can spend the benny to soak that, then I assume you definitely want to Benny for the tough hit.
Please let me know if you have questions.
Screaming in pain Black dog howls as he is hit first and knocked over then hit by the bullet piercing his shoulder. On the ground he begins casting again and turns himself into a raven moving as fast as his little bird form will take him back into the darkness. The bats continue biting while the Indians continue swinging at Archibald. One manages to land a solid hit. The blind natives drop their bows and begin running at the sound of their leader screaming out in pain. Glancing back it looks as if the crew on the other side of the camp seem to have sent the Indians to route as well.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:00 am

Rolls
Soak Roll for second attack 1d6-1 = 3: 4
Wild 1d6-1 = 5: 6

Wild Explodes 1d6 = 5: 5

Red Benny to boost 1d6 = 3: 3

Total: 13 - 3 Wounds soaked.

Benny to remove Shaken

2 WHITE & 1 RED bennies spent.
The bats flew at Archibald, scratching and biting at him as they swarmed him. He cried out, distracted, as one of the bats shrieked in his face. Seeing an opening, one of the Indian warriors struck and sliced across Archibald's chest with a tomahawk. The Englishman staggered backward as blood welled from the wound and, ironically, started turning his jacket scarlet. Gritting his teeth against the pain, Archibald rallied and counter-attacked with his blade...though the pain appeared to impair his swordsmanship.

Fighting
Attack on Indian Warrior
Fighting 1d10-3 = 4: 7
Wild 1d6-3 = 2: 5
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
Lucinia_Whateley
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Lucinia_Whateley » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:57 am

OOC Comments
Bolt 1d8-1 = 6: 7
Wild 1d6-1 = 1: 2
Damage 3d6 = 4: 2, 1, 1
For a moment, Lucinia sees a chance, raising her hand to strike the raven from the sky... but when she notices Archibald nearly butchered by the group of foes attacking him, she shakes her head, time slowing down as the adrenaline from her near

The two warriors seem to be working together to wound him. The swarm of bats seem unavoidable. The warriors just managed to do horrible damage to him. The bats don't seem to be as immediately dangerous. The bats are small, might be harder to hit, though she's not sure. She's sure she can hit one of the men.

Taking a breath, the cards slide between her fingers as light begins to dance between them. Archibald had been nice to her. He'd given her a chance. She didn't want to be dead weight. She couldn't let him die.

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Hope Monaghan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:59 pm

Healing 13; Heal 2 Wounds
-2 Novice, -1 Fatigue
Faith 1d8-1 = 7: 8
Ace 1d8+7 = 13: 6
Wild 1d6-1 = 1: 2
On the trail/Near Trincheras Pass
Night
Round 0

“Archie!” Hope called out in fear as he was brutally attacked by the two Indians. He shook off some of the injuries, but not all. She reached out a hand to heal him. Now that the other Indians were running off, she let the windstorm die down.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
***
-1 Fatigue
Faith reduced to d8+2
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by John Baxter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:41 am

Notice 5
OOC Comments
1d8 = 5: 5
1d6 = 1: 1

John takes aim with his pistol intent on taking down the shaman who had been plaguing them.

Shooting 5 Damage 6
Resist 5 or be pushed back 1" and knocked prone
OOC Comments
marksman aim
1d8-1 = 5: 6
1d6-1 = 4: 5
2d8 = 4: 1, 3 benny to reroll damage 2d8 = 6: 3, 3
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Thu May 02, 2019 8:47 pm

Initiative rolls
Hope: 1d54 = 12: 12
John: 1d54 = 24: 24
Archibald: 1d54 = 44: 44
Jeff: 1d54 = 37: 37
Lucinia: 1d54 = 1: 1
Bad Guys: 1d54 = 39: 39

Black Dog is still about 20" away in the dark and small. -4 to hit him before range penalties.
Archie still has a bat swarm and 2 Indians in his face.
Turn order looks to be Archie then the Bad Guys then the Rest.
The five other natives are also scurrying away a bit slower and only about 12"
The shots ring out and just barely miss Black Dog in the darkness with his small form. Hope heals Archibald strengthening his resolve in the conflict.

User avatar
Archibald Ellsworth
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Archibald Ellsworth » Fri May 03, 2019 9:30 am

Archibald felt his strength returning as his wounds seemed to heal by themselves, though they still felt sore and his clothes were still ripped and torn. He still had two Indian warriors facing him and the swarm of bats around him, thankfully the bats were more of a nuisance and so he focused his attention on the two warriors.

Actions
Fighting attack on one of the two warriors facing Archie.

Fighting 1d10-1 = 6: 7
Wild 1d6-1 = 2: 3

RED bennie to boost roll 1d6 = 4: 4

Fighting Total: 10

Damage 2d6 = 12: 6, 6

Both die explode 2d6 = 10: 6, 4

One die explodes 1d6 = 6: 6

Again... 1d6 = 3: 3

Damage Total: 31
Main Account: stormwell

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Wed May 08, 2019 8:55 pm

OOC Comments
Fighting vs Archibald: 1d8 = 8: 8 Ace: 1d8+8 = 13: 5
Damage: 1d8 = 7: 7 + 2d6 = 5: 4, 1
1 Wound to Archibald
Swarm Damage: 2d4 = 2: 1, 1
Black dog manages to fly away just over the crest of the nearby canyon. The nearby brave is struck by Archie cleaving him mostly in half while his comrade manages to hit Archie in the side with his tomahawk. The bats flit around not managing to get in any significant strikes.

User avatar
Hope Monaghan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Hope Monaghan » Thu May 09, 2019 2:26 am

Faith 5; Heal 1 Wound
-1 Fatigue, -2 Novice
Faith 1d8-1 = 5: 6
Wild 1d6-1 = 2: 3
On the trail/Near Trincheras Pass
Night
Round 0

Hope winced as Archibald took another chop from the tomahawk. She started to pray again, touching his back once more to heal him again, sending a feeling of love and warmth through the British soldier.
Party loot
300 rounds of .45 Colt ammo
Character Tracker
Hope Monaghan Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 6
Ammo: Shotgun (2/2; 18); Peacemaker (6/6; 50); Winchester (15/15; 50); Derringer (2/2; 50)
Bennies: WRWR
Adventure Card:
  • Payback: Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
  • Better You Than Me: Play when your hero has been hit by an attack and there is an adjacent character. The other character suffers the attack instead. This may be played on friend or foe.

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jeff Milton » Thu May 09, 2019 11:28 am

Seeing most of the foes in flight, Jeff sends two slugs at the last foe fighting Archie
OOC Comments
1d6+1 = 6: 5
1d6+1 = 2: 1
(I don't think there is darkness or etc.?
hit unless there is more than a -2
damage
2d6+2 = 7: 4, 1

User avatar
John Baxter
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by John Baxter » Tue May 14, 2019 2:58 pm

Dammit, Black Dog got away again. Won't be able to track him in this light. He holsters his pistol and snatches up his rifle. Seeing Archie still in trouble, John takes aim, not wanting to accidentally hit Archie.
OOC Comments
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6"; Parry: 5 (½ Fighting +2); Toughness: 6 (½ Vigor+2 plus armor);

Lame

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1969

User avatar
Lucinia_Whateley
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Lucinia_Whateley » Fri May 17, 2019 2:43 am

OOC Comments
Bolt 1d8-1 = 4: 5
Wild 1d6-1 = 1: 2
Damage 2d6 = 8: 5, 3
Lucinia curses under her breath as her attack goes wide. She'd try and again and see if she could make this one count. She just wanted one good hit on that Brave. She takes a breath, drawing power once, and hurls it out.

User avatar
The_Marshall
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by The_Marshall » Tue May 21, 2019 8:36 pm

As the rest of the Lazy S crew finishes up some of them manage to come to the aid of the group a few shots into the bats sending the remaining scurrying off and the last Indian takes one as he to heads for the hills cursing Black dog and his plans as he runs. Some of the crew let off a few more shots and hoot and holler in the air. One or two have minor injuries that some others are tending to but most of the crew have fared like the group.
Loot
6 Tomahawks
$36 Confederate
1 bow
10 arrows

User avatar
Jeff Milton
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Shooting Stars…and Bars

Post by Jeff Milton » Wed May 22, 2019 9:36 am

Jeff reloads his pistol, checking on Archie.

Post Reply

Return to “Adventure Forum”