Player Name: Timmy
Google Handle: MyDogIsAnEquestrian
Manny “Signal” Gibson
Rank: Veteran | Advances Left: 0
Attributes: Agility d6 (1), Smarts d10 (3), Spirit d10 (3), Strength d6 (1), Vigor d6 | d8 morphus (1)
Pace: 6 | d6 run; Parry: 5 facade | 6 morphus; Toughness: 4 facade, 6(2) w/kevlar | 7 morphus, 9(2) w/kevlar
- Athletics* (Agility) d6 (1)
- Common Knowledge* (Smarts) d4 (0)
- Electronics (Smarts) d8 (3)
- Fighting (Agility) d6 facade/d8 morphus (2)
- Focus (Spirit) d10 (4)
- Hacking (Smarts) d8 (3)
- Notice* (Smarts) d8 (2)
- Persuasion* (Spirit) d4 (0)
- Research (Smarts) d6 (2)
- Stealth* (Agility) d6 (1)
- Thievery (Agility) d4 (1)
- Driven (Major): A vow is a commitment to others. Driven characters want something for themselves. It may be to protect the realm, become a decorated officer, prove you’re the best gladiator in Rome, or the best pilot in the galactic fleet. The Minor version shapes the character and pushes his decisions but either happens rarely or is fairly harmless. As a Major Hindrance it’s an overriding desire that comes up frequently or causes peril for the heroine and those around her. Manny is driven to find the truth behind his adoptive father’s murder.
- Cautious (Minor): This planner personifies restraint and carefulness. He never makes rash decisions and likes to plot things out in detail long before any action is taken.
- Small (Minor): This adventurer is very skinny, very short, or both. His Size (see page 106) is reduced by 1, which reduces his Toughness as well. Size can’t be reduced below −1, but the Toughness penalty remains. A Small half-folk, for example, remains Size −1 and loses a point of Toughness. Manny is only a teenager, so maybe he’ll eventually grow out of this one.
- Cybernetic Morphus (x2)*: This talent is considered a background talent, without exception this talent can only be taken at character creation. The nightbanes Morphus includes components of a cybernetic nature. The character gains access to Cybernetic or Electrical as a Trapping. (This edge may be taken twice to gain access to the trapping not selected Cybernetic or Electrical trappings, an additional +2 Nightbane Racial Abilities point. But you do not increase your talent bonus above +1.) In addition character gains +2 in Nightbane Racial Abilities to help represent the form and adds:
- +1 to Clairvoyance, Detect Arcane, Divination and Light for characters who select Cybernetic trappings which are added to the nightbanes power list, but are restricted to the Cybernetic Trapping.
- +1 to Bolt, Damage Field, Lightning Rider, and Speed for characters who select Electrical trappings which are added to the nightbanes power list, but are restricted to the Electrical Trapping.
- Arcane Background (Dark Talents)*: Starts with 1 power and 15 PPE. Equivalent to AB (Gifted).
- Martial Artist*: The fighter has trained in basic martial arts. Her fists and feet are weapons (see Natural Weapons, page 104) so she's always considered armed. She adds +1 when striking with them and causes Strength+d4 damage. If she already has a Strength damage die from the Claws racial ability (page 18) or the Brawler Edge, increase the damage a die type. Martial Artist does not add to damage from other Natural Weapons such as fangs or horns.
- Combat Reflexes*: +2 to recover from Shaken.
- Champion*: Champions are holy (or unholy) men and women chosen to fight for a particular deity or religion. Most are pious souls ready and willing to lay down their lives for a greater cause, but some may have been born into the role and follow their path with some reluctance. Champions fight the forces of darkness (or good), adding +2 damage when attacking supernaturally evil (or good if they're evil) creatures. The bonus applies to area effect damage, ranged attacks, powers, etc. The GM must decide which foes this bonus applies to, but generally it's any evil (or good!) creature born of magic or with any supernatural abilities.
- Power Points: +5 Power Points.
- Fake Elan: +2 to Benny re-rolls, awarded from training montage.
Nightbane Racial Features
- Dark Sight: Supernatural awareness allows the Nightbane to ignore dim and dark lighting penalties in either form.
- Immortality: Nightbane do not age again after their first transformation, called becoming.
- Mirror Wall*: By taking a full minute of concentration while staring into a reflective surface, Nightbane are able to enter the Shadowlands with a successful Spirit roll (for games not using the No Power Points setting rule, this ability costs 1 PPE). The Nightbane may take others across with her as well. For each additional character transported, the Nightbane incurs a -1 to her Spirit roll (or, for games not using the No Power Points rule, for 3 PPE each). Each passenger crossing with the Nightbane must make a Vigor roll or suffer 1 level of Fatigue.
- Sense Nightbane: The Nightbane can automatically sense others with Arcane Background: Dark Talents within Smarts x2 inches. If a Nightbane attempting to avoid detection by using conceal arcana encounters another Nightbane, the two make an opposed roll between the conceal arcana power skill and notice.
- Regeneration: Nightbane regenerate quickly in either form and may make a natural Healing roll once per day (rather than once per week). Whenever the Nightbane gains a permanent injury, it may make a natural healing roll once recovered from the Incapacitation that caused the injury. On a success, the injury heals after 1d6 days.
- Supernatural Becoming*: The Nightbane has the ability to turn into their Morphus form by concentrating for one full round doing nothing else. While in their Morphus form the character gains the following abilities:
- Dark Champion*: Nightbane are natural enemies with the forces of darkness and gain the Champion edge whenever in their Morphus Form.
- Dark Talents*: The character has Arcane Background: Dark Talents (See below for details).
- Inhuman Shape*: The Morphus form is a horrific expression of the Nightbane’s subconscious. The Nightbane is uniquely inhuman. The nightbane’s morphus form is built using the race creation rules allowing for 8 build points and a maximum of -4 in negative racial abilities. All such Racial Abilities must be representative of the physical change in the Nightbane’s anatomy/appearance.
- Invulnerability to Mental Manipulation*: Nightbane are highly resistant to mind control, possession, transformation, and any similar powers or abilities. Such powers/abilities tend to simply roll off of targeted Nightbane, and they are immune to any mind control, possession, or transformation power or ability not specifically designed to affect Nightbane (such as, by way of example, a power trapped specifically to force Nightbane to switch between their Facade and Morphus forms).
- Natural Combat Ability*: While in Morphus form the Nightbane benefits from d6 Fighting (or a die type increase in fighting over their facade, whichever is higher) and the Martial Arts Edge. If the character already has Martial Arts, then it is increased to Improved Martial Arts. In addition if the Nightbane has natural weaponry such as claws or tentacles, they may still add the d4 damage from the Martial Arts Edge damage rolls from their natural weapons.
- Supernatural Physical Form*: The Morphus form is supernaturally powerful. They gain +1 die type to Vigor.
- Supernatural Toughness*: The Morphus form has +2 Toughness, and Combat Reflexes.
- Unique Nature*: All Nightbane begin with two unique racial edges of choice (see below for options).
- Sorcerous Potential: A Nightbane may choose Arcane Background (Magic), however they share the same power Point pool as their Talents edge when using Magic and the Spellcasting skill must be learned separately.
- Electricity Dependency (-2 racial trait): Signal must consume or have contact with an electricity source for an hour out of every 24 spent in Morphus form. Without the required contact, he becomes Fatigued each day until Incapacitated. A day after that, he perishes. Each hour spent recovering at an electricity source restores a level of Fatigue.