Signature Item for Steelcreek (CS Game): CA-7X-S Special Forces Experimental Stealth Armor

All items must be validated prior to inclusion
Pursuit
Game Master

Signature Item for Steelcreek (CS Game): CA-7X-S Special Forces Experimental Stealth Armor

Post by Pursuit » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:58 pm

CA-7X-S Special Forces Experimental Stealth Body Armor:
  • +8 Armor and +2 Toughness
  • Full Environmental Protection
  • Embedded vibro-knives on the forearms (Str+d6, AP 4, Mega Damage)
  • Garrote Wire connected to the left wrist (Str+d4, must follow successful Grapple with a raise)
  • Built-in mini-computers for basic functions
  • Communications system with a 10 mile range
  • Public-address loudspeakers
  • Night and thermal vision mode for vision
  • No Strength Minimum. (20 lb)
  • Optical Camouflage Field
    Optical Camouflage Field: This field is powered by an E-Clip port on the left side of the torso. One E-Clip will power the field for ten minutes and the field can be engaged tactically for only some of the total time of the E-Clip’s life, should the wearer so choose. While engaged, the invisibility function projects a refracted light field around the wearer. Anyone looking at an invisible CA-7X soldier will see a slight blurring in the air in the general outline of the trooper’s body, but will otherwise see only whatever is behind the wearer. In addition to visual light, the suit masks other telltale indicators of a soldier’s passing. Advanced environmental systems adjust the shell of the suit to the temperature around the wearer, making them hard to spot using thermal detection. The suit even masks radio and other electronic signatures to prevent enemies from tracing or detecting any errant signals in their midst.
    Unfortunately, the invisibility function also turns the suit into a broadcast dead zone. While engaged, the wearer can neither send nor receive any messages over the built in radio, meaning that scouts must de-cloak in order to radio back to their teams. It also makes wearers practically impossible to track remotely via I.F.F. by their comrades as long as the invisibility is turned on.
  • Fiber Undersuit: Relieves the discomfort felt by many psionics in FEP armor, which serves to remove the penalty to use a Psi-Stalker’s Psychic Sense.
  • Light Exoskeleton: Increase Strength of the wearer by one die step.
The genius weaponsmiths, scientists, and psi-techs in the Coalition States have developed one of the most advanced suits of personal, non-PA body armor ever seen. Built with Special Operations Command in mind, the CA-7X series is a highly experimental (and highly regulated) series of body armor suits, and each suit is stamped with a unique barcode that must be scanned upon issue and then scanned again upon return. Only the elite Special Forces of the CS Army are permitted to wear the CA-7X series body armor, as the technology behind it is considered a state secret of the highest order.

The CA-7X-S was developed in secret after careful study of captured illegal Naruni technology. The CS was able to reverse engineer and even improve upon the Naruni design in some ways, developing a suit of body armor that can turn its wearer effectively invisible to most visual and electronic detection. The RCSG contributed a new, state of the art fiber for the environmental liner on the suit, which makes it more comfortable to use for psionic soldiers. The side effect of the new polymer is that psychics can use the CA-7X-S with full environmental protection engaged without the discomfort felt by many psychics, including a psi-stalker’s psychic sense, making it extremely popular with any psi-stalkers fortunate enough (or well-connected enough) to merit a suit.

To round the CA-7X-S out, the techs added in light-duty servos and strength enhancements to give a modest bump to the overall physical strength of the wearer. While nothing like the powerful exoskeletons found on some other suits, the built-in strength is often just enough to make a difference to those who spend weeks in the field carrying their whole lives on their backs.

All of that capability comes with some significant drawbacks. First, the invisibility function requires its own dedicated power source to work. After going back and forth between a rechargeable, battery-style power source or an e-clip port, the engineers ultimately decided that an e-clip port was the more tactically sound choice. E-clips are ubiquitous, where charging stations are not, and the CA-7X-S was designed for operatives who might be away from civilization for significant periods of time. While e-clips offer soldiers significantly less time invisible with each use, the techs considered the trade off for added versatility to be worth it.

While engaged, the invisibility function projects a refracted light field around the wearer. Anyone looking at an invisible CA-7X-S soldier will see a slight blurring in the air in the general outline of the trooper’s body, but will otherwise see only whatever is behind the wearer. In addition to visual light, the suit masks other telltale indicators of a soldier’s passing. Advanced environmental systems adjust the shell of the suit to the temperature around the wearer, making them hard to spot using thermal detection. The suit even masks radio and other electronic signatures to prevent enemies from tracing or detecting any errant signals in their midst.

Unfortunately, the invisibility function also turns the suit into a broadcast dead zone. While engaged, the wearer can neither send nor receive any messages over the built in radio, meaning that scouts must de-cloak in order to radio back to their teams. It also makes wearers practically impossible to track remotely by their comrades as long as the invisibility is turned on.

Base Item: CA-7 Special Forces Heavy “Dead Boy” Body Armor:
  • +8 Armor and +2 Toughness
    Full Environmental Protection
    Embedded vibro-knives on the forearms (Str+d6, AP 4, Mega Damage)
    Garrote Wire connected to the left wrist (Str+d4, must follow successful Grapple with a raise)
    Built-in mini-computers for basic functions
    Communications system with a 10 mile range
    Public-address loudspeakers
    Night and thermal vision mode for vision
    No Strength Minimum. (20 lb)
Super Tech Enhancements:
Invisibility (2 levels, 5 points total after modifiers)
  • Limitation (no radio signals) (-1)
  • Power Source (-2)
Super Attribute (Strength) (1 level, 2 points)
Fiber Undersuit allowing Psychic Sense (custom enhancement priced as Heightened Sense, 1 point)

Freemage
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Re: Signature Item for Steelcreek (CS Game): CA-7X-S Special Forces Experimental Stealth Armor

Post by Freemage » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:24 am

I'm curious about the Psi-Sense thing--is the Stalker's version not scent-based, the way the Dogboy's is? If so, the underfiber makes sense (so to speak) to me.

Pursuit
Game Master

Re: Signature Item for Steelcreek (CS Game): CA-7X-S Special Forces Experimental Stealth Armor

Post by Pursuit » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:45 am

Freemage wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:24 am
I'm curious about the Psi-Sense thing--is the Stalker's version not scent-based, the way the Dogboy's is? If so, the underfiber makes sense (so to speak) to me.
I understood it to be more supernatural in nature and less scent-based than a Dogboy's, but if someone more familiar with Palladium lore wants to jump in and answer, that'd be cool. @High Command? What say you?

RFT
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by RFT » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:56 pm

In Savage rifts and in Old rifts it i explicitly scent based.
Shaping Worlds Together
The 99's Game Master Bennies 6
  • +6 Players
Nightbane Game Master Bennies 4 +1 Golden Benny
Recurring NPCs (all but Grimm reset to 0 at end of each Quarter)
  • Danielson 0 (spent to set the stage)
    Grimm 1 (luck) elan, Against the Odds, The Winning Side
    Harvest 0
    Marry Against the Odds 0
    Michael Against the Odds 0
Phase World - The Remorseless Game Master Bennies 5
  • +7 Players
    +2 Sidekicks
    +1 Joker for Grudge
    -1 For Grudge Match Reroll Damage
    -1 For Grudge Match to EE Agility
    -1 Extra Effort dramatic Task to stop hackers
    +1 Joker for Grudge Match
    -1 Grudge Match - that little bastard was fast
    -1 Grudge Match - perhaps unfairly fast
Nemesis and The Pursuit
Nemesis (Captain - Temporal Wizard) 2
Royce (Second Officer - Charmer) 4 Elan
Grudge (Security - Brute) 1 Unlucky -1 for Grudge Match Extra Effort
Hiesh (Tactical - Illusionist) 2
Iasah (Ally - Godling) 4 Elan
Slip (Partial Cyborg - Pilot) 2
Rick 2 [/list]
Castruccio and the Naruni
Castruccio (Uteni - Contract Holder) 3 elan
  1. Opserv (Security - Repobot) 2
  2. Ultor (Security - Repobot) 2
  3. Indohc (Security - TW) 2
[/list]
Initiative Copy and Paste

Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]Initiative in alphabetical order with players at the top, the in the same order with NPCs.
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions.
[list][*]Quick rerolls 20 or less
[*]Quickness with a Raise rerolls 28 or less
[*]53, 54, 55, 56 are considered Jokers
[*]Cards divisible by 4 are considered Clubs for hindrances affected by Clubs (excepting 56 which is a joker).[/list][/color][/b]
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:18 pm

RFT wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:56 pm
TLPG p.59 wrote:Psychic Sense: Psi-Stalkers have the inherent ability to detect arcana, usable at will. They use the Notice skill to detect the presence and location of any psychic or magic energies, beings, or items. They can also use the Tracking skill to track a specific magical or psionic entity. This sense works to detect anything psychic, magic, or supernatural, including invisible and astral beings. Psychic Sense doesn't work inside sealed armor or vehicles. Cybernetic implants also cause problems; every point of Strain imposes a −1 penalty when the Psi-Stalker uses his Psychic Sense (the Cyber-Psychic Alignment Edge can negate this penalty). See sidebar on the next page.
Not seeing anything scent based. Just says “detect arcana, usable at will.” Is it shown somewhere else, maybe?

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:54 pm

Freemage wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:26 pm
Note: Even with the "explicitly scent based" notion, it would just need to be a particularly well-designed filter, instead of the undersuit.
Noted. Yeah, I just want to make sure I get it right narratively, however it’s supposed to be.

By contrast to the Psi-Stalker Psychic Sense described above, the Dog Boy’s specifically mentions that it’s interpreted as scent, which leads me to think the two work differently.

Either way, do the mechanics on the suit work?

RFT
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by RFT » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Pursuit wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:18 pm
RFT wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:56 pm
TLPG p.59 wrote:Psychic Sense: Psi-Stalkers have the inherent ability to detect arcana, usable at will. They use the Notice skill to detect the presence and location of any psychic or magic energies, beings, or items. They can also use the Tracking skill to track a specific magical or psionic entity. This sense works to detect anything psychic, magic, or supernatural, including invisible and astral beings. Psychic Sense doesn't work inside sealed armor or vehicles. Cybernetic implants also cause problems; every point of Strain imposes a −1 penalty when the Psi-Stalker uses his Psychic Sense (the Cyber-Psychic Alignment Edge can negate this penalty). See sidebar on the next page.
Not seeing anything scent based. Just says “detect arcana, usable at will.” Is it shown somewhere else, maybe?
I just checked and only the Dog Boy gets the bonus for enhanced Smell on their tracking. So the Psi-Stalker is not explicitly scent based and has no such advantage/limitation I could find.

I stand corrected and am enjoying crow as we speak.

PS: I remembered reading something about smelling our fear and chasing the mages down. But it could be all the coffee
Shaping Worlds Together
  • +6 Players
    Harvest 0
    Marry Against the Odds 0
  • +7 Players
    +2 Sidekicks
    +1 Joker for Grudge
Nemesis and The Pursuit
Rick 2 [/list]
[/list]

[b][color=#BF0000]Initiative in alphabetical order with players at the top, the in the same order with NPCs.
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions.
[*]Cards divisible by 4 are considered Clubs for hindrances affected by Clubs (excepting 56 which is a joker).[/list][/color][/b]
Rob Towell

RFT
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by RFT » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:05 pm

Just reread Rifts original and it keeps saying "like a Blood Hound tracking a scent". But then makes it explicitly clear it is a supernatural sense not a sense of smell.
Shaping Worlds Together
  • +6 Players
    Harvest 0
    Marry Against the Odds 0
  • +7 Players
    +2 Sidekicks
    +1 Joker for Grudge
Nemesis and The Pursuit
Rick 2 [/list]
[/list]

Rob Towell

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:20 pm

RFT wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:05 pm
Just reread Rifts original and it keeps saying "like a Blood Hound tracking a scent". But then makes it explicitly clear it is a supernatural sense not a sense of smell.
FWIW, I remember the “fear makes mages tasty” thing, too, now that you mention it. I just never put two and two together.

RFT
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by RFT » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:24 pm

maybe it was a was from a old rifts book or from one of the previous editions of TLPG?
Shaping Worlds Together
  • +6 Players
    Harvest 0
    Marry Against the Odds 0
  • +7 Players
    +2 Sidekicks
    +1 Joker for Grudge
Nemesis and The Pursuit
Rick 2 [/list]
[/list]

Rob Towell

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:37 pm

RFT wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:24 pm
maybe it was a was from a old rifts book or from one of the previous editions of TLPG?
*shrugs*

No idea, but totally possible.

Regardless, what do you think of the armor otherwise? Can I get an “approved?”

RFT
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by RFT » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:03 pm

Power Source and Device are required limitations you do not receive points for in Supertech.

Otherwise I approve and think it works.

PS: You may want to look at SFC for a cheaper option that provides a -4 and works versus technology.
Shaping Worlds Together
  • +6 Players
    Harvest 0
    Marry Against the Odds 0
  • +7 Players
    +2 Sidekicks
    +1 Joker for Grudge
Nemesis and The Pursuit
Rick 2 [/list]
[/list]

Rob Towell

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:11 pm

RFT wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:03 pm
Power Source and Device are required limitations you do not receive points for in Supertech.

Otherwise I approve and think it works.

PS: You may want to look at SFC for a cheaper option that provides a -4 and works versus technology.
Power Source is explicitly allowed. I did not use device.

Freemage
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Freemage » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Reference: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2859

Down in the section on "Exclusive Modifiers", it does list "Power Source" as a possible Modifier for ST Powers. Per the description, the E-clip basis means it will work for about 200 minutes on a single clip. While I think that's pretty generous for a -2 Modifier, that was what was approved, and I'm not so freaked out about it that I want to re-open any discussions at this point (especially with SWADE right around the corner).

So, yes, the mechanics get an approval from me.

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:34 pm

Freemage wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:28 pm
Reference: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2859

Down in the section on "Exclusive Modifiers", it does list "Power Source" as a possible Modifier for ST Powers. Per the description, the E-clip basis means it will work for about 200 minutes on a single clip. While I think that's pretty generous for a -2 Modifier, that was what was approved, and I'm not so freaked out about it that I want to re-open any discussions at this point (especially with SWADE right around the corner).

So, yes, the mechanics get an approval from me.
Thanks, @Freemage.

High Command
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by High Command » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:53 pm

RFT wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:57 pm
I remembered reading something about smelling our fear and chasing the mages down. But it could be all the coffee
The Neuron beast had an entry like that, though the old main book for Rifts (pre-RUE) did focus a lot on the desire to kill their prey.

I approve of this item :P

Incidentally, I came up with the fiber undersuit for a PC vanguard (Pro-CS magic user) in Palladium Rifts. Using it for psychics was easy.

Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:10 am

Approved.
GM Bennies: 6/6

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:35 pm

Approved
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:11 pm

Thanks, everyone!
@Freemage
@RFT
@High Command
@Tribe of One
@Venatus Vinco

RFT
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by RFT » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:40 pm

I would like to change my vote
Shaping Worlds Together
  • +6 Players
    Harvest 0
    Marry Against the Odds 0
  • +7 Players
    +2 Sidekicks
    +1 Joker for Grudge
Nemesis and The Pursuit
Rick 2 [/list]
[/list]

Rob Towell

Return to “Item Validation”