Mission 1: Sabotage & Slipped Away

Stoic
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Mission 1: Sabotage & Slipped Away

Post by Stoic » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:51 pm

The crew sits in their respective spots as Que types in the string of commands to launch the vessel into faster than light speed. As the lurches ahead the engines start to warm up and process the tachyon storage units. Then, an odd thing happens. The vessels main screen starts up, and Slip, the dreaded pilot and hacker from the Nemesis appears on the screen. She grins and waves "bye-bye", and then the screen goes dead again. Moments later you hear a loud CRACCCKKKKK and the entire ship starts to shake violently. A siren goes off and red lights flash. Dorian quickly does an assessment and realizes that the FTL drive is about to rip the ship apart so he uses an emergency procedure to shut it down.
OOC Comments
You've moved ahead a couple of parsecs and your navigation system shows you to be in something called the Barton system, a system full of mostly barren planets, but by the forges will you are close to one of the only inhabited ones, Krakos. Krakos is a planet that is 90 percent water and the land areas are ruled by an advanced civilization of humanoids that evolved from crustaceans. They are a space-faring race, so you can likely barter or buy the equipment needed to fix the ship. The Sovereign can still travel but it's only at a fraction of the previous speed as you have to rely on the ships power core in order to move you along. Until the FTL is repaired you will need to find some other way to zip around the universe. This will require K/Engineering at a -4 and require a total of five successes. This will take 1d4 days to repair per roll if there is only one person repairing it. Each additional person helping will take a day off the fixing time, down to a minimum of 1 day per roll. The parts will cost 500,000 credits.
GM Bennies 9/9
Wild Card Bennies ?

Vrothuss

Re: Mission 1: Taken (Mirage)

Post by Vrothuss » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:51 pm

Voss feels the ship lurch to a screeching halt. As the crew scrambles, he does Voss and begins searching the area for the odd Space Ley Line occurence. They (Space Ley Lines) happen, without a lot of explanation for why.

Ley Line Lookup
Sense Ley Lines within 10 miles
Sense Rift Eruptions within 50 miles
Voss waits to feel the pulse and tug of any Ley Line energy. He continues to do so through the sluggish crawl of the Soveriegn's current plight.
Vrothuss _

Vrothuss
Novice Gemini Demon Ley Line Walker/Temporal Wizard
Parry: 2 || Toughness: 5
PPE: 20/20
Combat Edge: None
Bennies: 4/3

Adventure Card(s):
Edit Signature

Que

Post by Que » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:12 pm

Que looks around as they come to a rest. When Dorian finishes lecturing everyone on the situation Que is annoyed. "Oh ma'am you are very evil. She could have killed us and we would have been stranded somewhere real bad."

Looking around the bridge Que grabs a bag of Hot & Spicey Tango Squares. After tossing a few down he asks the others. "So, want to hide the ship and I can take us to the planet? Or I guess we could ride there but at this speed it will take hours."

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:58 pm

Ducky had never seen anyone so their looks don’t matter much. What matters is she is with people she can trust. Que, enigmatic as they come. Voss, a temporal blood hound. Dorian, Given’s curse but one fine engineer, Sera she knows everyone. Ducky smiled at her assesment of her crew mates. Softly she suggests more than commands now that things are moving forward, ”Que, take us in nice and easy. Dorian get this radio working and if you can’t what about some kind of signal that can translate through water, Sera find us someone you know, and Voss, good thinking find us that space line.” She stops a beat and with great pride feels a good energy from her friends, ” We have come this far together and we can and will overcome this and find the prince and those brain scans.”

Sub vocally she comms givens.
OOC Comments
”Givens, prep that shuttle bomb. Max yield, and if you can find a way for it to magnetize to a hull of a starship while keeping its emissions low all the better. When we find Nemisis I was a tasty little surprise to ram down her throat.”
Ducky Stat Block
Charisma: 2 or -4; Pace: 8[16]; Parry: 11; Toughness: 24(10) MDC; Strain: 0
Skills of note: Fighting d12, Notice d6+2
Edges of Note: Champion +2 toughness vs super natural evil, Courage under fire ( if she leads from the front 50% chance of avoiding wounds dealt)

Melee damage with her sword: 1d12+2d10+5 AP2 MD
Bennies
2/3
-1 for bad dreams
-1 benny for EF
+1 Benny for good rp

Dorian Falstaff

Re: Mission 1: Sabotage & Slipped Away

Post by Dorian Falstaff » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:10 pm

Bombarded by damage control data Dorian pops open his helmet to escape the deluge of information. Putting a hand to his forehead the Altess rubs his temples and takes a few deep breaths to get control of his rage and frustration. "The radio will be repaired tomorrow, until then we have comms only so far as our personal systems allow. As for the FTL that will be much more time consuming. And expensive. Givens, I am going to require significant amounts of caffeine." He bends back to the task of repairing the radio console. Still angry with himself for missing the tampering and nearly costing them all their lives he's distracted however and keeps making small mistakes that he then has to go back to re-repair.

"At once sir. Does anyone else require anything?"
Givens over comms
"The shuttle is still weaponized Captain, the engineering you suggest is not within my capabilities unfortunately."
At A Glance
Dorian Falstaff
Pace: 6; Parry: 5 Toughness: 5/17(9) in armor
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; ISP/PPE: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3
Adventure Cards
  • #: Card - Effect
Edit Signature

Vrothuss

Post by Vrothuss » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:21 pm

Givens via Dorian Falstaff wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:10 pm
"At once sir. Does anyone else require anything?"
His voice comes across comms very lucid and tranquil, Voss says, "Thank you, Givens but no."

Voss returns to the Ley Line Inquiries probing and pausing in an effort to get a good reading.
Vrothuss _

Vrothuss

Adventure Card(s):
Edit Signature

Que

Post by Que » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:45 am

Que sees the frustration and thinks he should offer up some help. Even if he is just an NPC, no reason not top get involved. He may be able to help.

Not leaving the cockpit Que gets up and walks to the engine room to grab some tools before returning to help Dorian. "Hey Dorian, need any support with this radio? This Que is good with engineering and repair. When we finish this, I can help with the engines."

Still sitting in the cockpit Que turns to Ducky. "Sure thing boss. I can keep going like this as long as I have God snacks and plenty of cola." Then to the nice robot. "Givens, any chance you could dig up another six pack? With my attention so divided I cannot do it myself while helping Big D with the critical stuff."

+1 Repair for Dorian's roll
Using Duplication drops piloting to d8.
The Duplicate has Science d4, Eng d6, and repair d6.

Repair 1d6: 5
Wild 1d6: 4

Sera

Post by Sera » Wed May 01, 2019 4:50 pm

"I'll help where I can. Once we get comms back up I can see if I know anyone local."

Did i know anyone on Krakos?
I Know a Guy 4
Streetwise 1d8: 4
Wild 1d6: 4
Sera has a contact that just so happens to live in Krakos named Zed.
Status Tracker
Seraphim
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; PPE: 10 / 10
Bennies: 3 / 3
Pace: 6 ; Parry: 6 ; Toughness: 5
  • Quick: When dealt a 5 or lower, may discard and redraw until gets a card higher then 5.
  • Strong Willed: +2 to Spirit and Smarts rolls when resisting Test of Wills attacks.
  • Steady Hands: ignore Unstable platform penalty when firing while riding in a moving vehicle. actions while running penalty is -1 instead of -2.
  • Construct
    • +2 to recover from being Shaken
    • Ignore one level of wound modifiers
    • Doesn't Breath: This species doesn't breathe. Individuals aren't affected by inhaled toxins, can't drown, and don't suffocate in a vacuum.
    • Immune to Disease
    • Immune to Poison
    • Cannot heal naturally and must be Repaired. Ignore the "Golden Hour"
  • Environmental Weakness (Electricity): Sera suffers +4 additional damage from electrical attacks, and have a -4 penalty to resist other electrical effects.
Halo
Pace: 6 ; Parry: 5* ; Toughness: 5
*: Halo is a small robot, size -2. attackers subtract 2 from any attack rolls directed at him.
  • Ace: May Spend Bennies to make Soak Rolls for vehicles or vessels they control. This is a Boating, Driving, or Piloting roll at -2 (cancelling their usual +2). Each success and raise negates a wound and any critical hit that would have resulted from it.
  • Combat Ace: Integrating vehicle operation with weapon control in one fluid moment of expertise, the pilot with this Edge ignores the multi-action penalty for making a Boating, Driving, or Piloting check and firing a weapon on the same round.
  • Construct:
    • Doesn't Breath: This species doesn't breathe. Individuals aren't affected by inhaled toxins, can't drown, and don't suffocate in a vacuum.
    • Immune to Disease
    • Immune to Poison
  • Environmental Weakness (Electricity): Halo suffers +4 additional damage from electrical attacks, and have a -4 penalty to resist other electrical effects.
Edit Signature

Stoic
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Stoic » Thu May 02, 2019 7:36 pm

No matter how many times you experience it, Que's teleportation is still jarring. One moment you are on the ship, the next you are standing on the ground, the air so humid that you think you're standing in a sauna for a second. You feel so disorientated that you think you might throw up for a moment but then, no, you're ok. You find yourself standing on a brush chrome plate that is cut into the shape of an octogan. It's roughly 50 meters across and connnected to four other octogans. In the space between the connections you see that you are bobbing ontop of a vast ocean. As you cross from octogan to octogan you notice that they seem to be epoxied together by a puffy pink goo. As you cross, the salt breeze from the ocean hits your nostrils, making you think of better more relaxing times, like the mini vacation The Remorseless crew took on the beach planet after the Shawcross Caper You shake off the nostalgia and find yourself again, in the present. The octogans are dotted by merchants, selling anything from fish (you notice it's mostly the smaller feeder fish) to something called Long Pork, an expensive street dish that has an intoxicating aroma. As you walk along Sera pauses midstride, and remembers. She has a friend here, the Ocotopod known as Zed. A pep appears in her step and she leads the group in a specific direction now that one of you has a purpose. She heads to the tiki themed structure, an adobe building with a stray roof that upon entering, reveals itself to be a tiny bar, with space for maybe 10 patrons max. Luckily no one else is here, so you are able to find open spots. A minute after you sit down a dull gray red spotted octoman appears, several of hit tentacles scrubbing the bottoms of dirty glasses that they hold in the coil of the limb. As he sees Sera his skin darkens a few shades, and his body tenses up. "Sera!" How have you been honey?!" The dead black eyes flick to the rest of the group, seemingly assesing them.
OOC Comments
After the group shares their sob story, the Octoman, Zed, Quickly turns his multiple brains toward the problem. He mentions a few friends that owe him favors that can get some of the parts needed (this is a reflection of the use of the scrounger edge) but you still need a good amount. Luckily Zed says he knows some people who know some people that are involved in the criminal underworld, but surely Sera and her friends would not be interesting in such a thing...would they? Feel free to freely RP as you are all so amazing at. Once you figure out that you do indeed want to break the laws on a planet you've never been to before and probably couldn't care less about, let me know and we will proceed.
GM Bennies 9/9
Wild Card Bennies ?

Stoic
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Stoic » Thu May 02, 2019 8:36 pm

The Octopods big black eyes blink and the color scheme goes into a dull gray pattern. "I beg your pardon? Sera and I go waaaay back. Tell him hon."
GM Bennies 9/9
Wild Card Bennies ?

Que

Post by Que » Thu May 02, 2019 10:42 pm

Looking around Que wonders if he has been here before. Well of course he has, but how many times before? "Yeah, I don't mind criminals. Who do you know?"

Vrothuss

Post by Vrothuss » Fri May 03, 2019 8:54 am

Voss eyes the Octopi, "Is this guy offering himself as our next meal?"

Calamari, Anyone?

As to criminals and underworld dealings, Voss has no qualms with underhanded dealings and back shop talk.

"Have to have a soul in order to sell it to the devil. Being a demon has its advantages."
Vrothuss _

Vrothuss

Adventure Card(s):
Edit Signature

Sera

Post by Sera » Thu May 09, 2019 7:56 am

Stoic wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:36 pm
As he sees Sera his skin darkens a few shades, and his body tenses up. "Sera!" How have you been honey?!" The dead black eyes flick to the rest of the group, seemingly assesing them.
"Zed, I've been great!" Her bright outlook darkens slightly, "Well sorta, I guess."
Stoic wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:36 pm
The Octopods big black eyes blink and the color scheme goes into a dull gray pattern. "I beg your pardon? Sera and I go waaaay back. Tell him hon."
"After I had... liberated my freedom my former employers. I was running around looking for work and places... to hide. Ran into Zed and we worked together for a bit." Sera tells the story.
Status Tracker
Seraphim
  • Quick: When dealt a 5 or lower, may discard and redraw until gets a card higher then 5.
  • Strong Willed: +2 to Spirit and Smarts rolls when resisting Test of Wills attacks.
  • Steady Hands: ignore Unstable platform penalty when firing while riding in a moving vehicle. actions while running penalty is -1 instead of -2.
  • Construct
    • Immune to Disease
    • Immune to Poison
  • Environmental Weakness (Electricity): Sera suffers +4 additional damage from electrical attacks, and have a -4 penalty to resist other electrical effects.
Halo
*: Halo is a small robot, size -2. attackers subtract 2 from any attack rolls directed at him.
  • Ace: May Spend Bennies to make Soak Rolls for vehicles or vessels they control. This is a Boating, Driving, or Piloting roll at -2 (cancelling their usual +2). Each success and raise negates a wound and any critical hit that would have resulted from it.
  • Combat Ace: Integrating vehicle operation with weapon control in one fluid moment of expertise, the pilot with this Edge ignores the multi-action penalty for making a Boating, Driving, or Piloting check and firing a weapon on the same round.
  • Construct:
    • Immune to Disease
    • Immune to Poison
  • Environmental Weakness (Electricity): Halo suffers +4 additional damage from electrical attacks, and have a -4 penalty to resist other electrical effects.
Edit Signature

Que

Post by Que » Thu May 09, 2019 8:57 am

Vrothuss wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:54 am
Voss eyes the Octopi, "Is this guy offering himself as our next meal?"
"Um, dude we don't eat creatures once they learn to speak with us. that is like rule 1 of tri-galactic relations."
Vrothuss wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:54 am
"Have to have a soul in order to sell it to the devil. Being a demon has its advantages."
Que wonders, what are the mechanical benefits of not having a soul. Maybe he is immune to mind control and stuff like that. But then again, why do soul blasts from monks kill demons so easily?
Sera wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:56 am
"After I had... liberated my freedom my former employers. I was running around looking for work and places... to hide. Ran into Zed and we worked together for a bit." Sera tells the story.
When Sera elaborates on how the squid thing and her became friends Que cannot help but wonder if there was going to be a test. "So you worked on this water planet, or did you guys travel around and stuff? I imagine the water would be really bad for you."

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Thu May 09, 2019 11:24 am

Ducky had she had eyes would have burned Zed with such fierceness. However lacking them she just quivered with raw untapped emotions struggling to find a voice. And so they did, ” I don’t mind dealing with criminals, but if they asked us to murder, cheat, and or steal they will find themselves on the sharp end of my blade begging for release.”

Ducky smiled sweetly, ” We might not look like it but we are the heroic types unwilling to compromise our integrity for anything. We all have our souls intact and I aim to keep it that way.”
Ducky Stat Block
Edges of Note: Champion +2 toughness vs super natural evil, Courage under fire ( if she leads from the front 50% chance of avoiding wounds dealt)

Bennies
2/3
-1 for bad dreams
-1 benny for EF
+1 Benny for good rp

Vrothuss

Post by Vrothuss » Thu May 09, 2019 4:39 pm

Ducky wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:24 am
Ducky had she had eyes would have burned Zed with such fierceness. However lacking them she just quivered with raw untapped emotions struggling to find a voice. And so they did, ” I don’t mind dealing with criminals, but if they asked us to murder, cheat, and or steal they will find themselves on the sharp end of my blade begging for release.”

Ducky smiled sweetly, ” We might not look like it but we are the heroic types unwilling to compromise our integrity for anything. We all have our souls intact and I aim to keep it that way.”
At the mention of souls intact, Vrothuss begins checking himself. Maybe he was mistaken and had just misplaced his.

He is thoroughly distracted while trying to find his soul.
Vrothuss _

Vrothuss

Adventure Card(s):
Edit Signature

Sera

Post by Sera » Sun May 12, 2019 10:56 am

"I was travelling around, got to know a lot of people." Sera looks down to kinda examine herself. "As far as water goes, I believe I'm not that vulnerable to that element. I do take baths you know, to clean myself."
Status Tracker
Seraphim
  • Construct
    • Immune to Disease
    • Immune to Poison
Halo
  • Construct:
    • Immune to Disease
    • Immune to Poison
Edit Signature

Que

Post by Que » Mon May 13, 2019 8:03 am

Sera wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:56 am
"I was travelling around, got to know a lot of people." Sera looks down to kinda examine herself. "As far as water goes, I believe I'm not that vulnerable to that element. I do take baths you know, to clean myself."
Realizing he could be giving away a secret Que thinks quickly trying to cover up his faux pa. "Sure, no offence meant. Was just wondering because most people would find prolonged stay underwater as something difficult."

Stoic
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Stoic » Wed May 15, 2019 7:18 pm

Zed thinks for a few, his tentacles popping up from under the bar every so often, whipping up cocktails for customers.

"Hmm that does limit your options... I think I know someone you might be able to help though."

A tentacle somehow grabs a pen and scrawls down an address and some directions.

"Go to this section and ask for a lady name Athena. She usually hires for security detail, but can find some jobs that pay a good amount. Nice to see you again Sera, make sure to stop by so we can catch up before you have to leave."

Two of the tentacles grab Sera and give her a firm affectionate hug.

You follow the directions and are led to another pop up style shop, only this one is considerably larger than the little piece Zed worked (owns?). The space is austere aside from the seemingly limitless variety of weapony/armor/powered armor. Asking around for Athena you're directed to a short tough looking anthromorphic shrimp woman wearing a thin sort of environmental armor filled with water. She looks at the paper and nods.

"I think I can use you for a job if you don't mind pulling guard duty. Pays 200 g's. You interested?"

After the group confirms that they are indeed interested, Athena provides each with a environmental suit that is a thin plastic material that goes over your body/armor. She explains that it is able to extract oxygen from water, keeping land dwellers alive. She says there is a big shipment of a new experimental type of power armor, five sets in total, that needs to undergo further testing. A rival corporation however has gotten wind of this new protype and will do whatever it takes to get a suit for reverse engineering purposes. The plan is to move it through a system of underwater caves that occasionally break the surface (which is where you air breathers come in) in an attempt to avoid being intercepted.
OOC Comments
The job starts tomorrow and as is common practice she will front half of the money ahead of time in case you need more gear/equipment. Note that the 200k is the total fee, not a fee per person. However Athena does cheerily mention that they will give the survivors a 50k payout for every crew member lost. Just say what you are doing in the interim, what if anything you are buying, etc and I will get another post up in a couple few days to go into mission mode. As always, message me with any questions or concerns.
GM Bennies 9/9
Wild Card Bennies ?

Dorian Falstaff

Post by Dorian Falstaff » Thu May 16, 2019 8:58 pm

After completing the repairs on the comms Dorian begins to survey the damage to the ships drive firsthand. His hope that sensor failures had cause the ships damage reports to be exaggerated were quickly dashed however. He directs both Mr. Givens and the Que copy in what to begin disconnecting and starts to make a list of just exactly what they need to replace when the ships AI notifies him of an incoming encrypted message for which they have no matching key.

"Oh? Well that is unusual. Givens, spare Que, it seems there's a new strangeness going on. That or we're getting someone else's messages. Hopefully the latter as we have quite enough debris in our orbit at the moment" Heading to the bridge he begins to decode the transmission.
Computer roll to decode 10
Modifiers: scene -4, HJ bonus vs electronic security +2, TW bonus +2, net 0
Computer 1d12: 5
Wild 1d6: 6 Ace 1d6+6 = 10: 4
Last edited by Dorian Falstaff on Fri May 17, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
At A Glance
Dorian Falstaff
Pace: 6; Parry: 5 Toughness: 5/17(9) in armor
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; ISP/PPE: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3
Adventure Cards
  • #: Card - Effect
Edit Signature

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Fri May 17, 2019 1:46 pm

Ducky leans in almost feeling the fish for its sweet smell, ” Yeah. 200 g’s sounds great. But we won’t be needing the insurance policy. Only Dorian would be in danger of dying and 50gs would frankly insult his family.” Ducky shrugs trying to make it clear she is not his family, ”Atless ya know. But could we get some aquatic breathers instead of the insurance?”

Ducky smiles and bows low accepting the deal either way. If she doesn’t provide the gear ducky lays it out for the team, ” Sounds like a job where they except death. We need to be prepared to hit the water and thrive under it. That means something fast and something that lets us survive.”
Ducky Stat Block

Bennies
2/3
-1 for bad dreams
-1 benny for EF
+1 Benny for good rp

Vrothuss

Post by Vrothuss » Fri May 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Ducky wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:46 pm
Ducky leans in almost feeling the fish for its sweet smell, ” Yeah. 200 g’s sounds great. But we won’t be needing the insurance policy. Only Dorian would be in danger of dying and 50gs would frankly insult his family.” Ducky shrugs trying to make it clear she is not his family, ”Atless ya know. But could we get some aquatic breathers instead of the insurance?”
That comment about Altess brings Voss from introspection and causes him to laugh and fall off his bar stool.
Ducky wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:46 pm
Ducky smiles and bows low accepting the deal either way. If she doesn’t provide the gear ducky lays it out for the team, ” Sounds like a job where they except death. We need to be prepared to hit the water and thrive under it. That means something fast and something that lets us survive.”
Voss starts doing his usual, searching for Ley Lines and unused routes to, from, and through their target.
Vrothuss _

Vrothuss

Adventure Card(s):
Edit Signature

Sera

Post by Sera » Tue May 21, 2019 12:47 am

Stoic wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:18 pm
"Go to this section and ask for a lady name Athena. She usually hires for security detail, but can find some jobs that pay a good amount. Nice to see you again Sera, make sure to stop by so we can catch up before you have to leave."

Two of the tentacles grab Sera and give her a firm affectionate hug.
Sera hugs back, "Sure thing Zed, be good to catch up, if I have some time."

Afther meeting with Athena and the accepted mission, "Not like we need any equipment beyond what they provided but is the half up front enough to start the repairs?"
Status Tracker
Seraphim
  • Construct
    • Immune to Disease
    • Immune to Poison
Halo
  • Construct:
    • Immune to Disease
    • Immune to Poison
Edit Signature

Que

Post by Que » Tue May 21, 2019 6:26 am

Que ralaxes as they talk about the mission. Scanning the crowd for more food to eat. "Yeah, we do do this job. But I um, need somethign to eat."

Que then moves on to find something to eat before returning, his hands full of some sort of assembled muscles and roots. "So when do we do this? We have some parts to buy and this will be enough to get half of them. No time to waste you know."

Que normally was never in a hurry because he could always make up the time. But being stuck with Dorian in the ship alone has him ready to cut his ears off as the guy over explains everything. If water is wet, just say it is wet. No need to go into a 5 minute conversation obout internal entropy, fluid dyamics, capilary action, and all that other crud.

Return to “Adventure Forum”