5.0 - It is Always Nice to Go Shopping

Ndreare
Savage Siri

5.0 - It is Always Nice to Go Shopping

Post by Ndreare »

Few things are as satisfying as getting paid and having some down time in the greatest megalopolis in the three galaxies. As always the crew of the Remorseless finds Castruccio is honest and pays without trouble. His only comment being. “You have done very well. I hope you are available for future opportunities. The Pursuit’s last update said they are heading in for an asteroid belt where they believe some prince or another was ambushed. I am sure it pleases you to know you are so far ahead of your Rivals.” Turning from the team he hands the box to Ultor who confirms its contents before leaving to begin fulfilling Castruccio’s promise to Powerdump.

Upon leaving the team has a lot of time and money on their hands. Splitting the funds 10 ways leaves 500,000 each for toys and 1,500,000 for repairs and maintenance to the ship. Plus Castruccio already erased last month’s and this month’s payment for the ship leaving little responsibility for you as your shop and explore.

Interlude Time
Anything and everything can be found in Center. Like something in the book it can be had by retrapping it with a 3 galaxies name.

Need something custom? Toss it up in the OOC thread and include a 30% mark up for labor and failures. We will get you feedback an you will have toys.

Each of you has an Interlude opportunity, performing such will earn you a Conviction. When we return we will all be using SWADE.
Each of you who includes a tie in with another player also earns an additional Benny.

In the interlude you are doing whatever down time thing you would like somewhere on a Spaceport, or in Center somewhere from Level 4 or lower.

Death Otter
While wondering through Center and exploring you see in the distance someone who looks familiar. You recalled seeing him in the lab as a fellow test subject who received the SEED.

If your post is more than 3 paragraphs you manage to acquire or steal and additional 50,000 in resources.
Fiona Gladbrooke
While moving through Center and exploring you see a collection of Invincible Guards. Normally something you would avoid. But this time you recognise one of them as a former lover, and something in your heart makes you curious but what?

If your post is more than 3 paragraphs you manage to acquire or steal and additional 50,000 in resources.
Kharis
Shopping is all fine and good, but there comes a time when battle is what is needed. Visiting an arena for a chance to prove your race’s prowess and the superiority of the Va’roni you enter combat. The battles go well for you and you win the first two. Before being defeated soundly in your third match.
Who did you defeat, and who defeated you?

You also raised 100,000 in resources after expenses. Most likely from betting on yourself.
Ramson Gourdaine
An impossibility! While on the space station enjoying some exotic faire you spot Je'Smi. But that is impossible, you killed him with your own hand. How could he be alive, and what was he doing on the ship.

As you chase after the person tell me how you were left with more questions than answers. But Ramson acquires a brown and green stone amulet enchanted with some sort of magic he is unsure of.
Rinoa Crescent
Some time while on this trip you find you are alone with time to think and memories of your love for Squall surface. The urge to look up the Ragnarock become irresistible after a few moments when you realize they are only a couple hours away on Staldern III.

Include in your post something of particular emotional value to your character.
Sa’Maku
Time for a tail.

How did Sa’Maku escape the prison transport? While telling the story include how he learned a single name of someone who knows more, but little else. The name is Captain Gregory Fallon.
Brokner Jakobi
Tell us how you got to Center and what you are doing here?

Meet up with another player or somehow work with the others to bring yourself into the team.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Ramson Gourdaine

Re: 5.0 - It is Always Nice to Go Shopping

Post by Ramson Gourdaine »

Ramson is, for once, stopped dead in his tracks at the sight of his former owner, mentor and first personal kill. Impossible.....

That moment of disbelief causes him to lose sight of the figure who absolutely cannot be the one he seemed to be, leaving Ramson no other choice than to try to pursue. Running through the streets like one possessed, he kept catching glimpses of the Je'Smi clone/lookalike/imposter/revenant slipping around a corner, or being swallowed by a crowd (who then, infuriatingly, required more than a little bit of urging to get the hell out of Ramson's way).

He was just finishing explaining to the nice Invincible Guardsman (who happened to step away from his partner, who in turn had just been recognized by Fiona, thus leaving the ship's diplomat with an opening to refresh an old acquaintance, if she were of a mind to do so) that of course he wasn't really going to make the entire throng of shoppers into a stew, it was just an expression of his people and the authorities really need to be more sensitive to cultural differences, and besides, a stew with that many different types of meat would be horrible without proper Fingarrian Gumbo Powder, and who keeps that in stock, anyway, when he turned around and saw, once again, the elusive figure ducking into a shop he knew well.

Je'Smi had taken him to Quillig's Culinary Tools & Machines store many times during his training; the devices here were capable of dealing with almost any foodstuff. Not just cutting and cooking--there were machines for extracting toxic elements from exotic plants, a de-irradiator for fungi that only grow in radiation zones, and so on. Ramson liked to drop a few credits here now and again to upgrade the ship's galley when he had the chance. (He'd eyed the Dragon Juicer selection a few times, but was afraid Thissok would take it the wrong way.) So he knew his way around the store, which let him take a shortcut through the instabakenfreeze ovens (perfect for turning a fresh megafauna kill into a few dozen MREs) to get to the store's only other exit--near the back, by the layaway/warranty service counter. He only had to jump over one customer to get there in record time--short fellow, eyeing the Technowizardry tool selection.

Sure enough, the door to the back was just swinging shut as he got into sight. He took a charge forward--only to be brought up short by the impassive bulk of Quillig himself. "Ah, Mr. Gourdaine! Was just about to call you--we got the mail order you made in, and it's ready for pick up. Of course, if you're busy now, we can hold onto it for a nominal shelving fee until you come back."

Gourdaine had a long experience with what Quillig considered to be 'nominal fees', and money was money. Stopping short, he sighed and went over to the counter. "Be quick about it." Quillig had the grace to only be slightly deflated at the loss of the fee, and trundled out on his dozen tentacle-like appendages, coming back with a small box. Ramson frowned, slightly, as his memory kicked over--he'd been in here many times for warranty service, but come to think of it, he hadn't brought in a convection oven recently....

Yet, there it was, with his name on it. Shrugging, he signed the paperwork, took the box and headed out to the back alley on principle. Walking to the end of the alleyway, he was able to confirm that there was a taxistand just beyond it, offering express service to the station's docking bays--Je'Smi, or whoever that was, could be halfway to a dozen different planets by now. Shaking his head in consternation, he took the box and went back to the ship on foot.

It was only when he got to the galley and confirmed that his own convection oven was right there that he grew more suspicious yet, and carefully opened the box he'd been given. There was an oven inside there--and inside the oven, a cloth handkerchief. Taking it out, reptillian hand shaking in frustration, he noticed two things. First, the unmistakable embroidered corner, a stylized "G" around the letters "JS"; one of the first things he'd done upon claiming his 'inheritance' was getting a similar one with an "R" in the center, instead. The second was what the napkin was wrapped around--an amulet, set with a brown and green stone. Unlike the napkin, it was utterly foreign to him. He held it up to the light, but no further explanation came from simple observation.....
Ramson Gourdaine
Stat Block
Simvan Rogue Scholar, Seasoned
Agility d6, Smarts d8-1, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Charisma: 0/-4; Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 17 (10); Strain: 0
Riding d6; Psionics d10; Investigation d8+2; Streetwise d8+2; Fighting d6; Notice d8
Shooting d4; Intimidate d8+2; Taunt d8+2; Piloting d6; Persuasion d4
Knowledges: Astrogation d8; Battle d8+2; Politics d8; Science d8+2
Hindrances: Monologuer, Stubborn, Loyal, Bloodthirsty
Edges: Beast Master/Sidekick; Major/Master Psionics;
Investigator; Strong-Willed; Scholar (Battle/Science);
Command; Tactician; Team Leader; Connections (UWW & TGE)
Powers: beast friend; boost/lower Trait; telepathy; puppet; environmental adaptation; darksight; farsight
"Scythe" (TW Hoverboard): Acc/TS: 5/20, Piloting +2, +5 PPE
ISP: 39/40
Bennies: 4/3
Golden Benny: 1/1

Brokner Jacobi

Post by Brokner Jacobi »

Brokner opens his eyes as he feels the lurch. ”Huh?? What?? Oh yeah!! Center. Finally!” He looks around as he realizes he spoke out loud. He shrugs and takes a sip of his flask. ”Damn, almost empty. May as well get supplies while here.” He does a quick check of his gear. After some digging around in his pack and pockets, he grunts, picks up his stuff and enters Center.

After gawking like a tourist for a few moments, he heads for “The Trade Zone”. ”I need grenades. I was told by the last guy I asked to head to the Trade zone for grenades, so i will follow the signs.” He secures his gear and amidst the jostles and bumps makes for the zone.

Once there, Brokner looks around. The first shop he sees, that piques interest is the TW shop. He heads directly for it. As he enters he slows down and lets himself gawk at the wares. ”I could spend days here. *head shake* Get what i need and get out. Or spend everything i have.” Brokner spots the sign for tools and heads over there. As he is perusing the wares, a guy jumps over him and books out the back. Standing straight, ’What the frak?? Not even excuse me?” ”Oh Hell no!!” He takes off after the guy, but with his short legs he is unable to keep up. After a block, Brokner stops, bends over grabbing his knees. ’Damn, that guy was quick. Lost him.” with a shrug, he heads back in to see if anything gets his attention.
Last edited by Brokner Jacobi on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axel Krowe

Post by Axel Krowe »

Honor is a demanding thing.

In light of the accusations against him honor demanded Sa’Maku return home and be put to death. Yet, in the face of being falsely accused, honor demanded that justice prevail. Satisfying the demands of such a master is nearly impossible. Torn by these demands, a Seljuk must make his choice.

Fortunately for Sa’Maku the other members of his marine expeditionary unit made theirs. No one escapes the brig of a CCW cruiser without a little help from their friends. After assisting a merchant ship in distress, the Lady Drake, the marines arranged passage for Sa’Maku with its Captain, Gregory Fallon, only one step up from a pirate himself.

Getting from the birg to the ship was no easy task. During transport from the brig to the Admiral’s Mast for sentencing, Sa’Maku broke free of his restraints and subdued his guards who - truth be told - only put up token resistance. Scampering down the corridors and bowling over sailors to slow to get out of the way of his runaway freight train bulk Sa’Maku leapt into an escape pod and jettisoned himself into space where the Lady Drake scooped him up and entered FLT before the cruiser crew could react. With the stigma of being an escapee hanging over his head Sa’Maku was at the mercy of Captain Fallon. Forced to help the scoundrel with some unsavory tasks before finally jumping ship when Fallon ran across Nemesis and nearly had his ship blown out from under him.

With a few credits in his pocket, the Seljuk tried to track down the Pursuit on his own, but was woefully underfunded. It wasn’t until a chance meeting with Ransom that the big Seljuk found his chance for redemption - if by a somewhat circuitous route so far.

Thus, when Sa'Maku spotted the Lady Drake berthed at the spaceport he decided to pay his old "friend" a visit. Sitting patiently near the ships gangway, Sa sharpened his teeth and gave poisonous stares to anyone who approached. Before too long Fallon stumbled toward the ship, with some local entertainers in tow. Standing to his full height, Sa'Maku blocked the entire corridor, like an eclipse. Looking up Fallon started talking hurriedly, "Sa! You old scoundrel, what can I do for you?"

Leaning in close Sa'Maku made sure Gregory could count all of the Seljuk's carnivorous teeth, "I am here to repay my debts."

Certain Sa'Maku was about to consume their customer the call girls took off down the corridor to find an easier mark. Reaching into his utility belt Sa'Maku pulled out...a cred stick.

"You are barely more than a pirate, but you kept your deal to my men and kept your mouth closed. I believe this small token will ensure your continued silence and any word you have on the location of the Pursuit or the material they stole from the pirate expanse. Consider it a life insurance policy, spend my money, be quiet, find what I need, and I will insure I don't end your life."

"uhh, you got it Sa." Then looking down at the cred stick Gregory smiles, "I mean if I try to turn you in they'll just ock me up too. This is way better for everyone. I'll ask around and get you a message before I blast off later this week ok?"

"Very well."

OOC: Spending 100,000 credits to pay off a contact.
Axel Krowe, BAMF
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Sa’Maku wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:27 pm "You are barely more than a pirate, but you kept your deal to my men and kept your mouth closed. I believe this small token will ensure your continued silence and any word you have on the location of the Pursuit or the material they stole from the pirate expanse. Consider it a life insurance policy, spend my money, be quiet, find what I need, and I will insure I don't end your life."

"uhh, you got it Sa." Then looking down at the cred stick Gregory smiles, "I mean if I try to turn you in they'll just ock me up too. This is way better for everyone. I'll ask around and get you a message before I blast off later this week ok?"

"Very well."

OOC: Spending 100,000 credits to pay off a contact.
Now that money was on the table the Captain smiled. When the message came it was a recording of the Captain. "The Pursuit, well if you still want to waste your time with them. I will tell you where they have been known to dock when enjoying their own down time. See Nemesis likes to return to New Asgard now and then and has a contact their named Bjorn Groldstol. I heard he is the rune smith who made Grudge.

"I think now we are even."
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Skanni

Post by Skanni »

RFT wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:45 pm Kharis:
Shopping is all fine and good, but there comes a time when battle is what is needed. Visiting an arena for a chance to prove your race’s prowess and the superiority of the Va’roni you enter combat. The battles go well for you and you win the first two. Before being defeated soundly in your third match.
Who did you defeat, and who defeated you?

You also raised 100,000 in resources after expenses. Most likely from betting on yourself.
Kharis stands unmoving before the crowd, awaiting his next match. He heard a smattering of cheers and a couple of people who even called out his name, and he was gladdened. These, at least, understand the strength of the Va'roni and the Helka Ohtar.

His first match had been wonderful: a cyborg of a race he did not recognize, almost elf-like in its build, but larger even than Kharis by at least a head. The cyborg had come at Kharis with a massive hammer in one hand and a humming sword in the other, which Kharis could appreciate. Direct confrontation. Head on battle.

It had been glorious. The two had exchanged blows for several minutes, giving the crowd quite the show, before Kharis took the upper hand. It was the sort of combat that came about all too rarely in the real world, and exactly the kind of thing the arena was best at.

The second match had been much, much shorter, and Kharis had won that thanks in no small part to the ignorance of his opponent.

The enemy had been a dwarf, of all things, with a command of fire magic. The dwarven warrior had been convinced, convinced, she had the upper hand over an "ice elf" because her fire would melt him down. The idiot.

Almost as soon as the match had begun, she hit him with a fireball, and spent so much time gloating about it that she didn't see his counter coming. He had her frozen in a block of ice before she could finish her taunt, his own magic more than enough to keep him safe from a little heat. Honestly.

But this new opponent was odd, even by standards on Center. He stood a half-head shorter than Kharis, and had pointed ears like an elf, but nothing quite so pronounced as Kharis' own. And he wore an odd hat with a brim, almost like some ranchers Kharis had seen on other worlds. The man spoke with an unplacable accent and walked with a pronounced limp, and bits of bone showed through patches of skin here and there.

"Aw, it ain't so bad as it looks," the elf-man-skeleton thing drawled at Kharis. "You get used to it pretty quick, and it don't get in the way much. Anyway, we fightin' or chattin'? Let's shake and git this started."

Kharis saluted the man with Silverspike, as was his custom, and moved to his designated starting area. As the signal to begin sounded, his opponent drew a long rifle from across his back and took aim at Kharis, without moving his hands. A telekinetic! Kharis thought, taking cover. More guns followed the first, and soon a storm of lightning bolts, fire blasts, shotgun rounds, laser fire, and small grenades was falling all around Kharis, all launched by the odd, telekinetic warrior.

Well, this will be interesting, at least! He hefted Silverspike, tapped the speed spell embedded within her, and charged.
After the match, Kharis picked up his winnings, minus the amount he'd wagered and lost in that last match, and headed out to go shopping.
Skanni, Half-Elf Psionicist
Parry: 5; Toughness: 8 (2); Notes: Outsider, Heroic, PTSD, Brave
Character Sheet
Resource Tracker
Axel Krowe

Post by Axel Krowe »

Having paid off Fallon, Sa'Maki heads to the arenas to watch his friends Kharis compete. His business meant he was too late to register for these bouts himself.

Roaring loudly during the first match the former Marine appreciated the speed and skill of the fight. The second battle made him laugh, his mighty chuckles echoing through the spectator stands. Seeing the firey dwarf encased in ice, Sa'Maku slapped a nearby patron on the back nearly sending him flying, "That is much like my first mate, cold exterior but burning hot in the centre!"

The third fight made him laugh even more as the peculiar fighter made use of an impressive number of weapons as once. Chuckling as he made his way down to meet Kharis he gave his friend a reminder of modern warfare.

"The Warlock Marines, with their flashy magic, have the reputation of being the best in the Three Galaxies but I learned a long time ago in the jungles of Gemini two that you fight magic with range and firepower...Come let me show you something I have been meaning to buy."

@Pursuit
Axel Krowe, BAMF
Skanni

Post by Skanni »

Sa’Maku wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:24 pm
The third fight made him laugh even more as the peculiar fighter made use of an impressive number of weapons as once. Chuckling as he made his way down to meet Kharis he gave his friend a reminder of modern warfare.

"The Warlock Marines, with their flashy magic, have the reputation of being the best in the Three Galaxies but I learned a long time ago in the jungles of Gemini two that you fight magic with range and firepower...Come let me show you something I have been meaning to buy."
Kharis rolls the thought around in his mind, clearly disliking it. But, given the many bruises he sported from his last match, he has to admit his friend has a point.

Slipping his winnings into his coat, he nods to the big Seljuk ”Well, that guy certainly did have a lot of guns. Couldn’t hurt to look."

After Sa shows him the truly massive rail gun he intends to buy, Kharis takes a look around for something a bit less… spaceship sized. Hauling around a monster of a gun is all well and good for Sa, but even Kharis would have trouble with such a massive weapon.

He is intrigued by the ion weapons (Sa had mentioned range, after all), and he eyes a display of vibro-blades. They are nothing when compared to Silverspike, of course, but he remembers well their encounter with the rock warrior, Grudge, and how the creature seemed to soak in Kharis’ magic. Good warriors die. Great warriors adapt. The old Helka Ohtar mantra dances through his mind as he waves over a salesperson.

Some time, and many, many credits later, Kharis finds himself in the shop of an Asgardian Dwarf named Throrgard. It is surprisingly cramped, packed with trinkets and bobs Kharis doesn’t recognize, but on the wall hangs an impressive looking axe. Kharis fidgets, clearly uncomfortable in the shop of a dwarf, but, well, he’d been told Throrgard was the best, and he needs the best. Of course, he’d have preferred the best elven smith around, but there apparently wasn’t one to be had, so Kharis makes do.

The dwarf Throrgard emerges from the back of the shop, thick goggles over his eyes, and gives Kharis a quick look over look. “What do you want, then?

“I have a suit of body armor I am fond of, but I am told that an ordinary smith cannot make any improvements to it. I am also told you are not an ordinary smith.” He indicates the armor he’s wearing, “have you worked with Va’roni armor before?”

Throrgard snorts and nods in the affirmative. “Sure. Va’roni armor. Warlock armor. I’ve seen it all. I’ll warn you, though, my time doesn’t come cheap, and I don’t have a lot of it to spare.”

Kharis tries to keep from being too stiff as he speaks with the dwarf. His skin crawls just a little to think of a dwarf working on his armor… but he knew plenty of Va’roni warriors with dwarven made weapons from back before the wars. Well, maybe not plenty, but some. And he even knew some with newer dwarven made gear. Insufferable or not, it was difficult to deny that dwarves knew their ways around their workshops.

Once he finishes his negotiations with Throrgard and drops off his armor for work, he steps out of the legendary smith’s shop looking for Sa, and sees another dwarf wandering around the shops. @Brokner Jacobi An apprentice, maybe? How many of these dwarves are there?
Character Sheet
Resource Tracker
Brokner Jacobi

Post by Brokner Jacobi »

Brokner perks up as he hears the fancy speak at the counter. ’An elf i here looking for work to be done?” He tries to sneak a peek at the armor in question (( ??)) [after a moment, he leans back around the shelving, trying to be as quiet as he can. Once he is feeling secure, he hits his radio ”Rust bucket! Where you be, you scrap heap?” There is a series of beeps ”What do you mean you are busy? I am at the TW shop… Get here. There is an elf who needs work done.” Brokner sneaks another peek around the shelves.

Seeing the elf still there. Brokner waits for the elf to move off or Rust Bucket to arrive. When His assisstant finally shows. Brokner stops looking thru parts and steps in the aisle near the elf. After some deep breathes, he approaches the counter beside the elf. As he waits for a moment to interject, he takes a closer look at the armor. ”Wait!1 is that… No!!... Cant be… Can it/” Brokner’s face goes from bored and wondering to awestruck as he looks from elf to armor to elf again. ”Excuse me… sorry to bother you good elf. Is that Va’roni armor? I have heard about in my studies, but thought they were no more suits in existence. May i see it? No touch just want to look.” He stands there like a kid in a candy shop.

As brokner is doing his best to be polite, Rust bucket flies over to the counter and scans the suit. ”Meatbag protection suit is of unknown make and materials. Further research is needed.” It flies back to Brokner ”You done, Meatbag? Or is there something “master” needs me to do?” There is definite sarcasm in its metallic voice as it speaks. Brokner’s face flushes red. He spins around to face the bot, with spittle flying as he roars. ”You no good scrap heap!! I am trying to get us a job so shut your mouth or i will remove your vocal capabilities. Make yourself useful and go find what i need to make a portable still. We got 15k to spend.” He turns back to the elf. ’Sorry. My assistant is an ass. I built him from an old assassin droid i found. Great helper, bad companion. Anyway, just curious on your suit. Again sorry to bother. Have a good day. “ He turns back to the counter, ”Excuse me?” Seeing any salesperson, he says ”Hi. I need grenades for this here beauty.” he places his TW Grenade Launcher on the counter. ”how much each grenade cost? Do you have bandoliers or pouches to hold them? Oh.I also need a scope of some kind for this revolver.”
Fiona Gladbrooke

Post by Fiona Gladbrooke »

While Invincible Guard were a rare sight outside the Empire Fiona was not particularly concerned to see them. She never used the forms or identities she used while in the empires service to escape easy detection. Besides, the IG were the one agency in the Empire not actively hunting her as a traitor as her "treason" was rooted in foiling inter agency subversion by her own handlers in the Imperial Intelligence Service. A rebellion that had done little to uproot those really responsible and mostly just made her a fugitive.

Not that she minded, being her own boss and not having the resources of a massive Agency behind her made things more precarious and thus more interesting. And the freedom to work for whom and how she choose was priceless. She did regret leaving the few friends she'd found growing up under the direction of the IIS. And someone a bit more than a friend. Someone she now noticed was among the Invincible Guard in the causeway.

Standing back from his fellows grilling of Ramson over his choice of invectives was Merrick Dusk, not only a bonified Invincible Guardsman but one who was among the organizations own intelligence arm. One that Fiona had, in another life, trained with, endured the process of imbuement with, and in no small part the reason for her treason. First shock, then a touch of concern. Had the Guard decided capturing her would one up their rivals in the IIS? A concern quickly quashed by the idea they would send Merrick to do so.

She decides to reach out cautiously and so telepathically reaches out without revealing herself. "You are looking well. What brings you to center? Doing so is effortless, like reciting a number spoken a million times. Her trust that he would recognize her psionic voice is justified.

"Alorra, is that really you? Where are you? I am here for the Empire, why are you here? Joy at her safety tinged with sadness of loss and a hint of suspicion at her intentions washed thru the mental link. Knowing better than anyone how the changling's mind works he seeks to reassure her. "We aren't here for you. Command still prefers you remain uncaptured, a black eye Prince Bayle never seems to heal."

She couldn't help but chuckle at the thought of her ex-boss still being inconvenienced by her. Not nearly what he deserved but a good start. "I'm between jobs and on a shopping spree. How about you lose the brute and we meet for coffee. Catch up, well as much as two spies can. The statement is followed by a memory image of one of their instructors giving a lecture on need to know and plausible deniability. The Silhouette agrees and arraignments are made.
Fiona, Artemis guise.jpg
Coffee turns into lunch turns into an offer of assistance by Fi in hunting a rogue IG member. Being no stranger to the mega city or it's denizens they run down the location of the deserter in record time. That Merricks natural skill at sorcery had been greatly enhanced by the process that empowers the Invincible Guardsmen certainly helped.
I Know a Guy to make Merrick a contact and networking for assistance, 12
Modifiers: Very attractive +2, HJ bonus to network contacts +2, total +4
Persuasion [dice:2bxk9k94]57856:0[/dice:2bxk9k94]
Wild [dice:2bxk9k94]57856:1[/dice:2bxk9k94]
Afterward the prisoner is contained aboard an Empire vessel the two spend more time together before Merricks departure. As luck would have it, aside from a small payment for her work as guide Merrick is able to provide some interesting intel on the movements of the Peace Bringer.

He notes that her new face and ID don't exist and she promises to set up a fake ID for it so they can keep in touch. On her return to the Remorseless for several days she is a bit more reserved. Still friendly and full of chear but with a hint of distraction.
Fiona Quick stats
[https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=209&t=4214]Fiona Gladbrooke[/url]
Pace: 6; Parry: 6/8 Toughness: 10 base, 24 (11) in full kit
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; ISP/PPE: XX/XX
Bennies: 3/3
Edit Signature
Characters Imperator (GM account), Barinthasheer, Aggelos, Xiang, Dorian Falstaff, Fiona Gladbrooke, Kyrin Brand
Skanni

Post by Skanni »

Kharis adjusts his new spare armor, shifting the shoulders so the padding sits right. This racer’s armor doesn’t suit him nearly as well as his battle suit, but it’s light enough not to attract unwanted attention, and it is a rather fetching color. It matches his new hover bike, in fact.

When @Brokner Jacobi begins talking at him, it’s all Kharis can do to stifle a groan. Great. A chatty dwarf. No one likes a chatty dwarf.

Not entirely picking up that Brokner isn’t the master smith’s apprentice, Kharis says, ”yes, yes. I’m sure you can get a good look at it while your master does his work.”

But then Brokner keeps talking, and Kharis’s eyebrow goes up. When the dwarf begins asking about prices, it clicks. ”You don’t work here... do you?” he asks, more talking to himself than anything.
Character Sheet
Resource Tracker
Death Otter

Post by Death Otter »

Deep in the lower levels of Center the rat's maze of corridors eventually...if one knew where to look...blossomed out into a large plaza, or chamber of some kind. No one knew what it was once used for; the place was as old as the city itself. What it was used for NOW was much more interesting.

There were black markets...and there was THE Black Market. It was the latter that had taken hold of this old knot in the gnarled woodgrain of Center's lower level passages. They had made there a cathedral to the fine art of illegal trade. And while, yes, one could find fuel for any depravity their taste drew them to...much of the trade there wasn't that at all. A lot of it was perfectly legitimate goods and services that the people involved wanted an excessive amount of discretion around the trade of.

Death Otter, for example. The modifications she wanted to buy were not black tech. Bleeding edge, top of the line mods for sure, but not illegal per se. However, she was having them made to a very stolen suit of black ops infowarfare armor, and so the only place to get the work done was The Black Market. And while she was at it, she couldn't resist adding an actually illegal decryption and signal cracking array as well. The guy she knew, a little bug-eyed alien named Kreb practically squeed with joy on seeing the suit, and had to excuse himself to wipe off his ovipositor before getting to work.

It would take some time, so Otter got to visit the Market's other attractions. There was no better place to be after a big score.

She was admiring a new purchase then, a nifty little device that projected incredibly high temperature plasma trapped in a confinement field out to a short distance...they called it a 'laser knife,' but any goof could see it wasn't a laser beam...when she felt something behind her. Something she hadn't felt in a long time.

A SEED handshake signal.

"Hey. Earth girl."

Otter spun on her heel, the 'laser knife' held out defensively. Her eyes narrowed on seeing who'd accosted her though. "You've gotta be kidding me."

Quinn was standing there, dressed in disheveled clothes, his platinum hair short and spiky and shaved over the left side of his head, letting the little metal plates on his scalp clearly show. He had finely sculpted features and long pointed ears...he'd been pretty handsome before, but years of neglect and scruffiness...how long did it TAKE for an elf to get scruffy?!...had eroded much of that. He blinked and nodded. "I, uh, forgot your name. Not supposed to forget things, but...there was an EMP a few years..." he frowned. "Maybe months. But anyway, I recognize you Earth Girl."

Death Otter hesitated, then authenticated the handshake. The array of nanotech seeded into their brains and nervous system began to exchange information, creating a tiny network of two.

"Prosek's dangling ballsack, Quinn, what the hell?" Otter said as she examined what he was sharing. He'd gone underground, much as she had...but hadn't been quite as lucky, or maybe just not quite as good. After getting caught, the authorities on the backwater world he'd been on had finally tried to nullify his powers by sticking him in a room with an EMP generator going off every ten seconds. For years. She could access his SEED network's damage report. It was...horrifying.

Quinn shrugged unsteadily. "I never took to it, you know? The way you did? I never...could...just..." he waved a hand. "...wanted to do something. Something right. Went wrong though."

She grabbed his arm, putting the laser knife away with her other hand as she did. "Come on."

"What?"

"I'm hungry. You hungry? Yeah, come on."

For all the exoticism of the Market, there was still the good old staples of food. Most visitors weren't interested in eating endangered species or sampling the flesh of sapients...they just wanted livestock meat in a bun while they enjoyed their purchases. Death Otter called these collective dishes 'space burgers.' The specifics of space burgers varied wildly, but they almost all boiled down to the same basic formula. Some kind of domesticated animal meat, with whatever the hell else the species liked to eat, tucked into one or more pieces of fluffy grain-derived starch.

She treated Quinn to a space burger.

After letting him devour it, she asked, "So. What are you doing here, Quinn?"

He shook his head. "Buy. Sell. You know."

Otter was about to make a snarky remark about actually needing money to buy, when Quinn's eyes abruptly focused on her face. The change in him was palpable. He went from vacantly staring in her direction to gazing very pointed at her. The sort of swaying motion of his head and shoulders, like he was perpetually on the brink of falling over, ceased. "I remember now. I know you. You were there too. Linda? Lindsey?"

"It's Death Otter," she said quickly, cutting him off with the verbal equivalent of a guillotine's blade. "And yeah. We were there." Her tone had gone flat. It'd been okay when he'd been harmless; a thing of pity...but now she was feeling uncomfortably exposed.

"You can think around the hole," Quinn said urgently. "You can find yourself in what's left."

D0 shook her head and pushed her chair back from the table. "I didn't get my brain fried for six years, Quinn. That was you. I haven't got a hole in me."

"You do," he hissed, leaning forward. "You do. That's what they DID. They made a hole in us...filled it with...with this..." He lifted his long, elegant, grimy fingers to touch the hexagonal metal plates set at one-inch intervals across his exposed scalp. Then he laughed a weary laugh. "Computer in your brain makes you think like a computer. Everything's cost and benefit. Risk and reward. Numbers. Always numbers."

He trailed off, and Death Otter found herself waiting to see what was coming next, even though what she really wanted was to leave...wasn't it? She'd bought him a space burger, what else was there?

"I went to Sander's World...to do something good. Something right." Quinn looked away. "That's what fills the hole."

"Uh huh, and that went great for you," she shot back. "That's where you got the hole."

His eyes fixed on her again. "No, you have it backwards. The SEED is the hole. The damage to it? It...helped. Right now it's in a repair cycle. This is when I'm me again." Quinn held up a hand, and it was rock solid. "The other me, the...one I am most of the time...that's the SEED. Damaged, but still functioning. Trying its best to work, but just getting in the way."

It felt to Death Otter as if something cold and slimy was slithering down her back. What would life be, living like that? She didn't even know what to say.

Quinn smiled gently. "I can see you're...adapting. Just try to know the difference. That's all I can say. When you do something that isn't numbers, that...when it's something you aren't calculating your reward for, or or...like when you brought me here. That was you. The SEED doesn't think that way."

Otter shook her head. "No, obviously not. The SEED doesn't think at all, it's just...cybernetics. A big wifi set in your head, basically."

"No. No, that's...no." The elf scratched his scalp restlessly. "It's trying to boot up. Listen. The SEED is an AI. It synchronizes with you, imitates you, but it's an AI. After a while, you and it work together so smoothly you don't even know it's there. It feels like it's just you." He reached out suddenly and took hold of Otter's hand. "It's not you though. You can think around it. Find yourself in what's left."

Quinn jerked slightly then, and took his hand back. His gaze turned vague again, and he looked around. "That was..pretty good," he said and nodded at the empty wrapper on the table. "What's it called? Can't...seem to find a good carrier signal to look it up. Can I have another one?"

Numbly Death Otter looked at her hand, the one he'd grabbed. In it was a little plastic fob. A key. "It's called a space burger," she said. "Yeah, you can have another one." She placed the order with the restaurant's wifi, using the one in her head.

"Quinn, look, I...I have to go."

He nodded and waved. "It was nice seeing you again. Sorry I'm not myself." With a grimace he tapped the plates of the SEED radiating panels. "Still trying to recover."

Death Otter turned away and took a step. Then she paused. She wanted to go back and hug him. That desire was clear. But there was a feeling of pointlessness to it, wasn't there? He probably wouldn't even remember she did it in five minutes. What did it gain her? Wouldn't it be better to see what this key unlocked? That might actually lead to something useful, or interesting.

When you do something that isn't numbers, that...when it's something you aren't calculating your reward for...that's you...

She turned around, but realized belatedly that she'd spent more time dithering than she'd thought. Quinn had already packed up and left. He hadn't even stuck around for the second space burger. Maybe someone else would want it. She sure as hell didn't.

It was the work of just a few minutes to find what the key unlocked. It was designed to return the number and location of a storage locker when electronically queried. Inside the locker were two things that upended everything Otter hand been expecting. A hoverboard and a note on digital paper.

The note had recently been edited, she could tell with a quick query. It now read:

"You asked to be called Death Otter so I will, but I remember your real name now. I remember who you were. You impressed me even then. I only have a few seconds to send this so I'll be brief. I came here to sell this item, and make some purchases. I'd like you to have it though. I know you always enjoyed HoverSmash, even back then. I don't know if you're you enough to even consider turning it down, but if you are...then don't. This is something that comes from me. Just me. And I owe you. You didn't have to help me get away, but you did. That was from you, and this is from me. Good luck."

The board opened her eyes wide. It was competition class, almost certainly stolen. Only the big names front runners got boards like this. It had effectively a dedicated virtual intelligence that handled most of the nitty gritty of keeping the hoverboard stable and moving, allowing the rider to focus on keeping his head on his shoulders. Boards like this were the reason HoverSmash races didn't end within thirty seconds in showers of gore.

Her fingers closed around the board, and Otter hesitated for a second. Then a signal came in from Kreb. Her suit was ready. Aw YEAH. Without further reflection she yanked the HoverSmash board out of the locker, tossed the key in and closed the locker. Still had more shopping to do!
Rinoa Crescent

Post by Rinoa Crescent »

Notes
Anything and everything can be found in Center. Like something in the book it can be had by retrapping it with a 3 galaxies name.

Need something custom? Toss it up in the OOC thread and include a 30% mark up for labor and failures. We will get you feedback an you will have toys.

Each of you has an Interlude opportunity, performing such will earn you a Conviction. When we return we will all be using SWADE.
Each of you who includes a tie in with another player also earns an additional Benny.

In the interlude you are doing whatever down time thing you would like somewhere on a Spaceport, or in Center somewhere from Level 4 or lower.

Some time while on this trip you find you are alone with time to think and memories of your love for Squall surface. The urge to look up the Ragnarock become irresistible after a few moments when you realize they are only a couple hours away on Staldern III.

Include in your post something of particular emotional value to your character.
Rinoa took her split of the money and deposited into her credit account. Then she started looking up stores in a nearby directory. I need a better gun. she thought. Finding a weapon dealer, she waves the the others, "I'll catch you guys later, I got some shopping to do."

After travelling for a bit to the store she was looking for, she finally finds it. She looks around and then heads up to the main counter.

"May I help you," the weapons dealer ask her.

"Yea, I'm looking for some accessories for my pistol and some other guns as well." Rinoa replies back.

"Can I see your pistol?"

Rinoa nods and pulls out her Wilk's 320 classic. "Here it is, I want to add a laser dot sight and a scope."

"A scope for a pistol? that seems a bit odd. May I see the pistol?"

Rinoa hands it over to him and the weapon dealer looks at it from different angles and judges the weight. "Ah yes, the accessories you want to add should not adversely effect this weapon.
Status Tracker
Rinoa Cresent

Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP: 20 / 10
Bennies: 2 / 3
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: d6 ; Parry: 8 ; Toughness: 9 (4)

Skill of Note: Shooting d12+2 (Wild Die d10)
  • Ace: Add +2 to Pilot, Drive and Boating Skills
  • Combat Ace: May use 1 extra weapon system before MAP penalties.
  • AB: Psionic (with Master and Major Psionic)
  • Elan: +2 when using a benny
    • Boost/Lower Trait (PPE: 2)
    • Clairvoyance
    • Telepathy
    • Professional, Expert, Master in Shooting.
Angelo (Kittani Transformable Robot Fighter)
Robot Armor Notes
  • (*): Numbers in () are while telemechanics is active, these are replacement, not additive.
  • (**): 6 AP from ballistic weapons except rail guns are negated.
Attributes: Strength d12+3
Pace: 20(2d6 MAP) ; Parry: 9(10*) ; Toughness: 21 (8**)
Melee Skill: Fighting d12
Soak Skill: Piloting d12+2(4*)
Weapon System skill: Shooting d12+2 (Wild Die d10)
Other Bonuses
  • Sensors: +2 on Notice Checks
    Targeting System: offset -2 shooting penalties
  • Always considered armed
  • Cannot use Combat Edges in Robot Armor
Weapon Systems
  • 2 x Pulse Cannons (Fixed Vehicle Medium Ion Weapon)
    • Range: 40/80/160
    • Damage: 4d8
    • ROF: 1
    • AP: 4
    • Shots: Unlimited
    • Note: MBT
  • 2 x Mini-Missile Launchers
    • Range: 100/200/400
    • Damage: 5d6
    • AP: 6
    • Shots: 12
  • Dual Linked Light Laser Turret (head mounted)
    • Range: 150/300/600
    • Damage: 2d10+2
    • AP: 5
    • Shots: unlimited
    • Notes: +1 to Hit due to Linked
  • Forearm Energy Blade (2)
    • Range: Melee
    • Damage: STR + d12+1
    • AP: 4
    • Notes: Mega Damage, Built into each forearm.
Edit Signature

Return to “Remorseless Archive”