Bugged: On the Road to Kingsdale

Adventures and antics of the Joker's Jokers.
Freemage
Savage Senior

Bugged: On the Road to Kingsdale

Post by Freemage » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:18 pm

When you get to the motor pool, you find the Creeper and Sasha ready to roll out. The cargo consists of four powered push-carts loaded with crates of random gear suitable for TW construction; per your briefing, the actual components are scattered among the crates, and will be identified by the Techno-Wizard at the Monolith for assembly.

There's also confirmation vouchers for a night's stay at the Happy Days Inn in a folder on the dashboard, and a general map of the route there.

The first few days of travel are quiet, allowing for time to relax and consider your destination. Some folks have already been making plans; others have time to consider their options.
Interlude Opportunity
Talk about Kingsdale, and what your character knows about it. It could be first-hand knowledge, or it could be a rumor you heard from someone who used to live there. If you have a copy of Juicer Uprising, take a look at the Kingsdale entry and expound upon one of the sections if you like, or come up with something whole cloth.

If you need a little kickstarter, roll 1d4:
1: An old acquaintance of yours moved there awhile back. While not part of the government or anything like that, they might be a useful source of local knowledge (instead of taking a Benny, describe what part of the town's social order the person would be in--criminal element, merchants, wizards, mercenaries, performer/artists, whatever--and flesh out their description with race, personality and how you knew them--they become a Contact, at least for any adventures set in Kingsdale.
2: You came through here at some point in the past, and had a small adventure. Describe what happened--why you were there, was the kerfluffle that followed related to your reason for being there, or just life in the Big City? Take a Benny.
3: There's something in Kingsdale you've heard about, and always wanted to see. Maybe it's the Guild, or the city hall architecture (notoriously one of the hardest buildings in North America), maybe it's some well-known Gray Seer rumored to be in the slums of Dregtown. Describe what you want to see, and why you want to see it/them. Take a benny.
4: Bad Blood: There's someone in town whom you've been avoiding--they hate you, you hate them, and if you run across them, it could be trouble. Describe them in broad terms, including the history of your mutual acrimony, and then take a benny. In addition, if they become part of the tale, you get an additional benny any time the rival/enemy makes trouble for the group.

These are only suggestions--you don't have to roll, or even use any of these. Most other Interludes will get you a Benny; some might produce a different outcome, like 1 & 4 above.
CS patrols are relatively predictable, right now, making them easily avoided. Once you're past Whykin, it's just a straight run to Kingsdale. However, about 4 hours outside of the town, Growler catches scent of a LOT of people in the area--well-hidden, if it weren't for his nose, he's not sure he would've been aware of their presence. Just as he notifies Snackhappy and the Creeper, a lone figure in camo-coated armor emerges from the underbrush, and waves to the vehicles to stop. The elven woman carries a rocket launcher slung over her shoulder, as well as a vibro-blade on her hip, but has not drawn any weapons just yet.

Herra
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Re: Bugged: On the Road to Kingsdale

Post by Herra » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:35 am

Kingsdale, the destination brings back a series of memories for Herra, not all of them pleasant. "It has been some time since I was in Kingsdale. The mercenaries who purchased me from the slave pens used psychic warriors to offset the rampaging bands of juicers terrorizing the area during the Uprising. After Spider and I escaped them, and the Coalition, we had nothing. No credits, no equipment, no food. We took up residence in Dregstown. It is a place of misery and sadness, like the slave pens of Atlantis, except the slaver is poverty."

Herra takes on a far away look as she recalls running through the shanty town begging and stealing what they needed to live but also feeling truly sorry for those who lacked her powers. They truly had no means of escape. "If the Tomorrow Legion is truly about hope for the future they will need to bring life to more than just refugees but also all those who live on the margins of safety and society."

--

When the woman appears on the road Herra peers curiously, resisting the urge to simply read the woman's mind to determine her intentions. For now.

"Jacob, tshe is either part of a Kingsdale patrol or a bandit seeking a toll. Tell me which and I shall deal with her accordingly."
Character Information
Herra, Psychic Warrior
30/30 I.S.P.
1/3 Bennies
Edit Signature

Growler
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Growler » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:17 pm

"I have heard that one of the guards from when I was being trained in Lone Star, Brian Johansson, has moved to Kingsdale. He was the most sadistic of all the guards there, and THAT is saying something. I heard that finally he was let go for damaging and destroying too much property... namely me and my fellow experimental units. If I see him, I don't know if I will be able to contain myself, Pack Leader SnackHappy. He will most likely recognise me and know about the large bounty that Lone Star has put out for me."
4 Bad Blood
4: Bad Blood: There's someone in town whom you've been avoiding--they hate you, you hate them, and if you run across them, it could be trouble. Describe them in broad terms, including the history of your mutual acrimony, and then take a benny. In addition, if they become part of the tale, you get an additional benny any time the rival/enemy makes trouble for the group.
Growler
Main Character: Merlaggon
Alternate Character: Hans Greuber
Charisma: -2 (-4/-6); Pace: 10 [13] (d12) ; Parry: 8; Toughness: 19 (8)
ISP: 30 / 30

Active Powers:
None

Bennies: 3/3
  • -1 for Extra Effort to assist with Piloting
    +1 for Bad Blood in Bugged: On the Road to Kingsdale
[list]Base Amount
[ooc]Skills
[list][*]Notice: 1d8 (+2 with Scent; +2 for Traps)
[*]Survival: 1d8 (+2 With Woodsman)
[*]Tracking: 1d8 (+2 with Scent; +2 in Wilderness)
[*]Stealth 1d10 (+2 in Wilderness or Urban)
[*]Fighting: 1d12
[*]Shooting: 1d12
[*]Knowledge (Arcana): 1d4
[*]Psionics: 1d8
[*]Intimidation: 1d6
[*]Taunt: 1d6[/list]

Abilities
[list][*]Exceptional Rapid Recharge (1 ISP/5 Minutes)
[*]Slow Regeneration (Natural Healing Roll Each Day)
[*]+4 vs. Fear, Mind Control, and Magic
[*]+2 for Fighting, Shooting, and Throwing rolls, but only to offset Called Shot penalties[/list]

http://savagerifts.com/sr/ucp.php?i=pro ... =signature[/ooc]

Roy

Post by Roy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:46 am

Hearing where the mission was Roy thought back. He wondered if he was still there. After their falling out his brother went to Kingsdale. Unwilling to restrict his studies to healthy magic, Brent started learning the darker arts. Demonology and Necromancy where his passion.

When Roy last saw Brent he was they where in a pitched battle. He does not know why Brent spared him, perhaps it was some shadow of his old empathy, perhaps it was simply that he did not care. But whatever the cause Roy hoped he would not encounter Brent again.

When the elven woman emerged Roy naturally and instinctively summoned his arcane sight. "Hello ma'am," Roy says with a tip of his head. "What brings you to us this fine morning?" Looking around Roy pay attention for other ambushers. More privately he says over the radio. "Anyone see any more in the woods?"

Exalted Detect Arcana Raise, Notice 10
Notice 1d8 = 1: 1
Wild 1d6 = 6: 6 Ace 1d6 = 4: 4
@Freemage How long has it been since we where along or at a ley line? Roy would obviously fill up at Refuge, but not sure how many ley lines since then.
PS: Roy does not have posting permissions
Resources & effects
PPE: 78/40
Wounds: 0
Bennies: 2

Exalted Quickness turn 3/3
Roy Andrew Wilson
Roy Andrew Wilson
Player Name: Rob Towell
Google Handle: Ndreare
Race: Human
Iconic Framework: Ley Line Walker
Attributes; Agility: d6, Smarts: d12, Spirit: d10, Strength: d4, Vigor: d6
Charisma: +0 Parry: 4 Toughness: 14 (7)

Skills
  • Fighting (Ag) d4
  • Healing (Sm) d4
  • K/Arcana (Sm) d8
  • K/History (Sm) d4
  • Notice (Sm) d8
  • Persuasion (Sp) d4
  • Repair (Sm) d6
  • Spellcasting (Sm) d12
  • Stealth (Ag) d4
  • Streetwise (Sm) d4

Edges & Abilities
  • Expanded Awareness: Ley Line Walkers can use detect arcana at will, with no PPE cost, as a free action.
  • Ley Line Magic Mastery: Like all arcane casters (see Ley Lines, page 119), Ley Line Walkers can draw extra PPE from ley lines, though they do so with greater advantage. As a free action, they can roll their Spellcasting skill to draw PPE from a line at a distance of Spirit × 3, and they multiply their current maximum PPE by ×3 while at that distance or closer.
  • Ley Line Rejuvenation: While on a ley line, a Walker gains a natural healing roll once per day.
  • Ley Line Sense: A Ley Line Walker can sense a ley line within 10 miles, and she can automatically tell how powerful it is, in what directions it flows, where it meets other ley lines at nexus points, and other aspects as might apply (such as if a huge amount of its energy is being siphoned for some other purpose). She can also sense any nearby Rifts within 10 miles, and she can automatically sense the eruption of a new Rift, or one opening anew, within 50 miles.
  • Ley Line Transmission: Walkers are able to send and receive spoken messages along ley lines, at any distance. This can be a wide broadcast that anyone along the line can hear, or it can be directed to a single recipient (who needs to be on the line and expecting the message).
  • Ley Line Walking: A Ley Line Walker can, as her name implies, walk the line as though walking across level ground. She can fly at twice her Pace, at an altitude as high as 1,000 feet.
  • Master of Magic: Ley Line Walkers are powerful arcane wielders. They begin with Arcane Background (Magic), the Master of Magic Edge, gaining Mega Powers for all known spells, and also starts with the Rapid Recharge Edge.
  • Easy Magic: The character has so mastered his understanding of how arcane energy flows that whenever he uses Detect or Conceal Arcana he automatically receives the raise effect.
  • Energy Conservation: The character reduces the cost to use power by 1 on a raise.
  • Wizard: The caster has formally trained and may reduce the cost to use spells by 1 per raise when casting.
  • Talisman Craftsman: This is a magical version of the Gadgeteer Edge. Once per game session, a character with the Talisman Edge can create a magic device and imbue it with arcane energy. The device uses any power available to a magician or miracle worker in that setting (though this is still subject to Rank restrictions). It has half the creator’s Power Points. Once these are used up, they do not recharge. The ritual to imbue the object takes d20 minutes. Activating the device requires a Smarts (magic) roll.

Hindrances
  • Cybernetics: Such technology creates havoc for the flow of energy a Walker relies upon, imposing −1 to the Spellcasting skill for each point of Strain.
  • Disconnected: Ley Line Walkers constantly deal with the strange, alien, and inhuman. This makes them more than a bit difficult to deal with for the average person. The Walker has a −2 Charisma penalty in most social situations.
  • Enemies: As with all wielders of magic, Ley Line Walkers are “shoot-on-sight” targets for Coalition forces. Any who refuse to swear fealty to Lord Dunscon may consider the True Federation to be hostile territory as well.
  • Code of Honor: Character keeps his word and acts like a gentleman.
  • Quirk: Obsessed with stuff, specifically anything arcane.
  • Big Mouth: Unable to keep a secret, blabs at the worst time.

Chok'lat

Post by Chok'lat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:49 pm

Chok'lat's eyes go wide as the name "Kingsdale" gets thrown around. A memory springs to his mind, and he begins jabbering, interrupting whoever might've been in the middle of a thought. "So...Chok'lat did something bad one time. Well, Chok'lat did a lot of bad things, a lot of times, too. This was bad though. Worse than some of the others. Cray Cray made us hit a caravan once. Said someone paid to get the stuff the caravan was carrying." He swallows hard, the expression on his face betraying distaste for the next part of the story. "So we did. And we did like we always did. Killed most everyone there, tortured some, ate some others. Chok'lat..." He scratches the back of his head, hoping that the fingers digging into his skull might drive the memory from his brain. "Chok'lat killed a woman, human woman, maybe. Was the caravan leader's mate. Cray Cray made him watch while Chok'lat did it. Bunch of the crew held him down and forced his eyes open. Then Chok'lat started on the leader. Chok'lat ripped off his leg at the knee and hit him in the head with it. Crushed his eye, probably. But the guy was some kinda techno-wizard or something. That's what was in all the trucks we hit. He got loose, then turned on some kind of head zapper, and we all went down. When we woke up, he was gone, and so was the woman's body."
The remorse is evident in his voice. "Chok'lat didn't think about that much until you guys kept talking about Kingsdale. Chok'lat's pretty sure that's where the caravan came from. Hope that guy ain't there any more. Chok'lat ain't like that no more, but that guy won't know that, and probably won't care anyway. Chok'lat...was really mean to his mate."
He shakes his head, trying to reconcile the horrors of his past with his desire for atonement. He wallows awhile in his regret until the elf woman steps onto the road. He snaps to attention, hands reaching instinctively for weapons. "Hey...what's she doin'?"
Chok'lat
Chok'lat
Current Status Post
Bennies: 3
Current Status:
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
PPE: 20 / 20
Active Effects: None
Parry: 12, 9 without shield
Toughness: 19 (6), +6 vs ranged
Weapon in Hand:
ST JA-11:
WI-GL20 (active):
Shield of Faith
Adventure Cards:
  • Extra Effort: desc here
    Parley: desc here
    Speedy Gonzales:
Edit Signature

Sara Turner

Post by Sara Turner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:49 am

Outside Kingsdale
Afternoon
Round 0

They prodded Sara about Kingsdale, so she sighed and opened up a bit.

“When my sister and I fled the Red River Combine, we ended up in Kingsdale,” she said. “It was our home for the next several years. We opened up a shop -- my sister is a techno-wizard -- and we did well. We weren’t rich, but we weren’t hungry.

“My sister met a man, Caleb Black. He used to be an assassin for the Federation. He was done with that life, though. Tara fell in love, and they got married, and they had little Kim. It wasn’t long after that my sister and I found an old NEMA bunker. We were curious, and I was stupid. I wasn’t careful. I got killed by the automated defenses, but I managed to download my consciousness into the advanced NEMA computers. Tara used the place as a safe laboratory. At least until my brother-in-law’s enemies came knocking.

“A man named Count Atrocles found the lab and attacked my sister and niece, holding them hostage. Being a computer, there wasn’t much I could do. Caleb arrived. There was a fight. And Atrocles opened a hell portal. He threw Tara into hell. I managed to download myself into her wrist computer. I don’t know what’s happened to the place.”

Sara fell silent. When the elf appeared to waylay them, she climbed up into the Creeper’s guns, just in case.

Character Tracker
Sara Turner Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 18 (7); Pace: 4 (Run d4); Charisma: -2
ISP: 40/40; PPE: 4/5
  • Powers: Smite, Telekinesis, Telepathy/Telemechanics
Rifle Ammo: 20/30
  • Reloads: 2 x 30 shots
  • Freeze: 20/20
    • Reloads: 2 x 20 shots
  • Burn: 20/20
Pistol Ammo: 21/21
  • Reloads: 2 x 21 shots
Frag Grenades x18
Brave: +2 Fear tests
Gadgeteer (1/S): Jury-rig Psionics device, 1d20 minutes.
  • Armor, barrier, blind, bolt, boost/lower Trait, clairvoyance, conceal arcana, confusion, damage field, darksight, deflection, disguise, dispel, divination, drain Power Points, entangle, environmental protection, farsight, fear, fly, havoc, healing, illusion, intangibility, invisibility, mind reading, pummel, puppet, slow, slumber, smite, speak language, stun, telekinesis, telepathy, teleport, warrior’s gift
Magical Entity: Susceptible to detect arcana, banish, dispel, and drain power points
Major Psionic
  • Spend 2 ISP when rolling their Psionics skill to gain a +1 to the roll, or 4 ISP for +2.
  • Spend 1 ISP to double the Range of a power, or 2 ISP to multiply the base range × 10. This ability does not affect powers that have Range of Self or Touch.
  • Ley line doubles these bonuses.
Mentalist: +2 on opposed Psionics rolls
Mr. Fixit: Halve Repair times with a Raise.
Mystical Construct: +2 recover from Shaken, don’t breathe, immune to disease and poison
Nerves of Steel (+Construct): Ignore 2 Wound modifiers
Powered: 1 PPE/h to remain active.
Bennies: 4/4
Adventure Card
Creeper stats
The Creeper
Size 6
Acc/TS: 3/11
Toughness: 35 (17)
Weapons: Heavy Railgun: Range: 100/200/400; Damage: 4d10+4 MD, AP 18; RoF 3; 118 Shots; 5 Mod Slots
Vehicle Mod Slots Remaining: 7
Crew: 2+6
Handling: +1
Amphibious: half speed
All-Terrain: difficult terrain only costs 1.5x movement
Targeting System: +2 Shooting with vehicle weapons
Sensors: +2 Notice for pilot or co-pilot
Steady Hands: Vehicle weapons don’t suffer unstable platform penalty
Leaping: 4” vertical, 8” horizontal
Driving: +1 Die Type
Character Tracker
Sara Turner Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 18 (7); Pace: 4 (Run d4); Charisma: -2
ISP: 35/35; PPE: 4/5
  • Powers: Smite, Telekinesis, Telepathy/Telemechanics
Rifle Ammo: 30/30
  • Reloads: 2 x 30 shots
  • Freeze: 20/20
  • Burn: 20/20
Pistol Ammo: 21
  • Reloads: 2 x 21 shots
Frag Grenades x18
Brave: +2 Fear tests
Gadgeteer (1/S): Jury-rig Psionics device, 1d20 minutes. - USED: Barrier device
  • Armor, barrier, blind, bolt, boost/lower Trait, clairvoyance, conceal arcana, confusion, damage field, darksight, deflection, disguise, dispel, divination, drain Power Points, entangle, environmental protection, farsight, fear, fly, havoc, healing, illusion, intangibility, invisibility, mind reading, pummel, puppet, slow, slumber, smite, speak language, stun, telekinesis, telepathy, teleport, warrior’s gift
Magical Entity: Susceptible to detect arcana, banish, dispel, and drain power points
Major Psionic
  • Spend 2 ISP when rolling their Psionics skill to gain a +1 to the roll, or 4 ISP for +2.
  • Spend 1 ISP to double the Range of a power, or 2 ISP to multiply the base range × 10. This ability does not affect powers that have Range of Self or Touch.
  • Ley line doubles these bonuses.
Mentalist: +2 on opposed Psionics rolls
Mr. Fixit: Halve Repair times with a Raise.
Mystical Construct: +2 recover from Shaken, don’t breathe, immune to disease and poison
Nerves of Steel (+Construct): Ignore 2 Wound modifiers
Powered: 1 PPE/h to remain active.
Bennies: 1/4
Adventure Card
  • Not Today: Play after any other character’s attack roll to cause it to automatically fail. This is a critical failure.
  • In the Zone: Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene.

Creeper stats
The Creeper
Size 6
Acc/TS: 3/11
Toughness: 35 (17)
Weapons: Heavy Railgun: Range: 100/200/400; Damage: 4d10+4 MD, AP 18; RoF 3; 118 Shots; 5 Mod Slots
Vehicle Mod Slots Remaining: 7
Crew: 2+6
Handling: +1
Amphibious: half speed
All-Terrain: difficult terrain only costs 1.5x movement
Targeting System: +2 Shooting with vehicle weapons
Sensors: +2 Notice for pilot or co-pilot
Steady Hands: Vehicle weapons don’t suffer unstable platform penalty
Leaping: 4” vertical, 8” horizontal
Driving: +1 Die Type

Roy

Post by Roy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:05 am

Chok'lat wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:49 pm
"Chok'lat killed a woman, human woman, maybe. Was the caravan leader's mate. Cray Cray made him watch while Chok'lat did it. Bunch of the crew held him down and forced his eyes open. Then Chok'lat started on the leader. Chok'lat ripped off his leg at the knee and hit him in the head with it. Crushed his eye, probably. But the guy was some kinda techno-wizard or something. That's what was in all the trucks we hit. He got loose, then turned on some kind of head zapper, and we all went down. When we woke up, he was gone, and so was the woman's body."
Roy stares open mouthed for a brief second. Appalled at the idea, everyone knows about such tortures. But to hear someone confess to them so casually makes his stomach feel sick. The distraction of the elven lady walking out was in perfect timing, as it may have saved his stomach from emptying.
Resources & effects
PPE: 78/40
Wounds: 0
Bennies: 2

Exalted Quickness turn 3/3
Roy Andrew Wilson
Roy Andrew Wilson
Player Name: Rob Towell
Google Handle: Ndreare
Race: Human
Iconic Framework: Ley Line Walker
Attributes; Agility: d6, Smarts: d12, Spirit: d10, Strength: d4, Vigor: d6
Charisma: +0 Parry: 4 Toughness: 14 (7)

Skills
  • Fighting (Ag) d4
  • Healing (Sm) d4
  • K/Arcana (Sm) d8
  • K/History (Sm) d4
  • Notice (Sm) d8
  • Persuasion (Sp) d4
  • Repair (Sm) d6
  • Spellcasting (Sm) d12
  • Stealth (Ag) d4
  • Streetwise (Sm) d4

Edges & Abilities
  • Expanded Awareness: Ley Line Walkers can use detect arcana at will, with no PPE cost, as a free action.
  • Ley Line Magic Mastery: Like all arcane casters (see Ley Lines, page 119), Ley Line Walkers can draw extra PPE from ley lines, though they do so with greater advantage. As a free action, they can roll their Spellcasting skill to draw PPE from a line at a distance of Spirit × 3, and they multiply their current maximum PPE by ×3 while at that distance or closer.
  • Ley Line Rejuvenation: While on a ley line, a Walker gains a natural healing roll once per day.
  • Ley Line Sense: A Ley Line Walker can sense a ley line within 10 miles, and she can automatically tell how powerful it is, in what directions it flows, where it meets other ley lines at nexus points, and other aspects as might apply (such as if a huge amount of its energy is being siphoned for some other purpose). She can also sense any nearby Rifts within 10 miles, and she can automatically sense the eruption of a new Rift, or one opening anew, within 50 miles.
  • Ley Line Transmission: Walkers are able to send and receive spoken messages along ley lines, at any distance. This can be a wide broadcast that anyone along the line can hear, or it can be directed to a single recipient (who needs to be on the line and expecting the message).
  • Ley Line Walking: A Ley Line Walker can, as her name implies, walk the line as though walking across level ground. She can fly at twice her Pace, at an altitude as high as 1,000 feet.
  • Master of Magic: Ley Line Walkers are powerful arcane wielders. They begin with Arcane Background (Magic), the Master of Magic Edge, gaining Mega Powers for all known spells, and also starts with the Rapid Recharge Edge.
  • Easy Magic: The character has so mastered his understanding of how arcane energy flows that whenever he uses Detect or Conceal Arcana he automatically receives the raise effect.
  • Energy Conservation: The character reduces the cost to use power by 1 on a raise.
  • Wizard: The caster has formally trained and may reduce the cost to use spells by 1 per raise when casting.
  • Talisman Craftsman: This is a magical version of the Gadgeteer Edge. Once per game session, a character with the Talisman Edge can create a magic device and imbue it with arcane energy. The device uses any power available to a magician or miracle worker in that setting (though this is still subject to Rank restrictions). It has half the creator’s Power Points. Once these are used up, they do not recharge. The ritual to imbue the object takes d20 minutes. Activating the device requires a Smarts (magic) roll.

Hindrances
  • Cybernetics: Such technology creates havoc for the flow of energy a Walker relies upon, imposing −1 to the Spellcasting skill for each point of Strain.
  • Disconnected: Ley Line Walkers constantly deal with the strange, alien, and inhuman. This makes them more than a bit difficult to deal with for the average person. The Walker has a −2 Charisma penalty in most social situations.
  • Enemies: As with all wielders of magic, Ley Line Walkers are “shoot-on-sight” targets for Coalition forces. Any who refuse to swear fealty to Lord Dunscon may consider the True Federation to be hostile territory as well.
  • Code of Honor: Character keeps his word and acts like a gentleman.
  • Quirk: Obsessed with stuff, specifically anything arcane.
  • Big Mouth: Unable to keep a secret, blabs at the worst time.

Return to “7th SET Adventure Forum”